[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 71 KB, 634x601, 23E180B200000578-2865364-image-m-4_1418047535382.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10010185 No.10010185 [Reply] [Original]

5 fruits/vegetables per day; do you eat'em?
Recently, I've learned that even many vegans and vegetarians in most Western countries have difficulty eating their five a day because they eat beans and bean products all the time and beans, tempeh and tofu, no matter how many you eat over the suggested serving, can only count once in a given day.
If you do eat your five a day, what's your diet like?
If not, do you try to? If you do try, but fail to, what do you find difficult about it?

>> No.10010214

I do. Usually 6+ per day.
Fruit with breakfast.
Meat and two veg for lunch or dinner.
Something vegetarian for the other meal.

Because onion counts and I use two-servings-worth of them per day, that's already three down (breakfast + onion). Then the two veg with the meat meal + whatever veg for the vegetarian meal = 6+, depending on how much veg I use to cook the meat meal or vegetarian meal. Occasionally, I whip up a fruit-and-yogurt thingy for breakfast which is about 4-5 servings of fruit all on its own.

I don't see how people can find 5-A-Day difficult to follow. Then again, I also don't get how people can become morbidly obese, but they do that, too.

>> No.10010218

>>10010185
I eat a box of blueberries and some kiwis.

>> No.10010233

>>10010185
I don't always eat well due to alcoholic degeneracy, but if I'm eating normally, it's not hard to get 5 servings. Whether it's a veggie soup, or a giant salad, with some fruit scattered throughout the day.

>> No.10010256
File: 22 KB, 450x450, v8 spicy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

recently started drinking this stuff like crazy. I think the claims of 2 servings of vegetables per cup are a total meme, but its still far better than what I was doing in the past.

>> No.10010295

>>10010256
OP here.
Maybe it's different in the US and Canuckistan, but in the UK, fruit and vegetables juices, purees and smoothies as well as crushed fruit/vegetables together can only count as one serving in a given day. IE, say you have a small glass of that stuff in your pic with a turkey sandwich and a large salad with lunch. You've got two veg servings, one from that juice/smoothie/whatever it is and another from the salad.
Then, on your way home from work, you stop in somewhere and get a mango lassi or other smoothie and enjoy it on your homebound commute and, once you get in, you make some pasta with tomato sauce using a bit of passata.
Well, you've only eaten 2 servings that day because the lassi doesn't count because it's a smoothie and you had a smoothie/juice with lunch and the tomato sauce was made with passata (crushed tomatoes).
Because of all the rules not explained in detail, it's more difficult to get 5 a day than you may realise.

>> No.10010309

>>10010295
yeah things are different here in amerifat. the government declared pizza to be a vegetable for the purpose of school lunch nutrition.

>> No.10010369

>>10010309
That pizza very well could be considered a serving. See, 30g of tomato paste or dried tomato, 80g of crushed tomatoes or passata or 150g of tomato juice or puree can count as one serving. If you eat all three in the same day, it's still only one serving because reasons but if you have a tomato sliced up in your salad, that counts as an additional serving. I honestly don't get why, but that's how it is.
Anyway, if your slice of pizza has 30g of paste on it and you eat no other tomato thing that day, it counts as a serving.
It's all very confusing and likely why so many people consider 5 A Day such a failure of a campaign.