[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 81 KB, 500x500, AA-general.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9989341 No.9989341 [Reply] [Original]

last thread: >>9978055

>Please read the FAQ before posting in the thread (always updating)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (always WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>IP taketowns (based on artists contribution, may or may not have been a one time thing, use as a guideline)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1696MDhNPhrZ0ySZhXkoJnGxb7l1OjW4JsVhu1wKvaWE
>AA Inspo (thanks anon!)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1D19QV9nHwaY8AaNiEXZAAkEhkBTSsb01?usp=sharing

If anyone else has inspo photos they'd like possibly added to the above link, email the account cgldrawfags@gmail.com

We have a discord!
If you want into the CGL AA discord, email graveweaverelf@gmail.com with a picture of your table or merchandise. It is not a jury, just to make sure you do cons.

>> No.9989343

New to making enamel pins and just tried out the enamel pin factory. FYI do not use them they are terrible.

>> No.9989393

>>9987273
>nayrt but a lot of building an audience for webcomic involves updating on a strictly regular basis for a long time until finally it begins to steadily gain followers. It's basically the same principle as getting people to follow yur social media; for a long time it'll seem as though it isn't paying off but if you update steadily it'll begin to work. (Also have a twitter/tumblr that you post to when it updates, with a request that people reblog the update post, which should have a thumbnail or something else colorful on it.)
thanks, that's good stuff. do webcomic readers(you guys?) prefer page by page dripfed or a parcel of pages all at once?

>> No.9989410

>>9989343
Can you post pics or explain why? I’m curious how they turned out. I know they’re relatively new.

>> No.9989412

>>9989343
pics? I am curious

>> No.9989457

>>9989393
I like a whole bundle, but I think you should do page by page everyday if you can. The people who like to read a lot at once will just check in once a week or something.

>> No.9989461

>>9989393
Some of the most popular webcomics maintain a thrice-weekly (usually Monday Wednesday Friday) page-by-page update schedule and that seems to keep people checking religiously.

>> No.9989488
File: 2.18 MB, 3444x3444, 90969BB5-E30C-4E09-8524-A7A0EC49E65F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fucked up Zaps anon here again, final straw edition.
My last order was 600 charms, and 300 were printed with a white border or cut incorrectly. (Zaps edited two of my files and filled in a gap in my illustration that I wanted there, and never let me know and printed them with a now filled in area)
I contacted them about all the issues, they agreed to fix them if I sent them back in.
I paid $75 to ship them back (which they “say” they refund the shipping, but they didn’t), and had the “replacements” arrive today with a nice hefty $155 import tax AGAIN (first time for the order I paid $126) for these “replacements”.
The replacements printed out the same way again, with only a few slightly better.
Before people say “you probably didn’t subtract the white border enough!” Understand that this was a direct re-order from my last order, meaning the files were the exact same.
Charms on the left are the ones I ordered a few months ago, right are the ones I received in the mail today.

Don’t waste your time or money guys. As much as I didn’t want to, I guess I’m going to be using vograce from now on.
I gave Zaps so many damn chances.

>> No.9989513

gotta love AANI temper tantrums over cons changing their AA set up rules.

>> No.9989573

>>9989393
It depends on your story type as well. If it's a very slow paced story then updating in larger chunks will be more engaging, but if you're doing 4 koma or strips then pacing them out is fine. Updating frequently in any case is preferable, it reminds people that you're still there and still active.

Don't commit to a schedule you can't keep, though. It's more important to update at the times you promised than to update very frequently. If you get into a good groove then you'll have people logging on on those days specifically to look for the new page. But if you consistently fuck up and have to delay because the schedule is too much for you then those people will just check in once or twice a month because they don't want to be fucked with.

>> No.9989574

>>9989513
I think I know what post you're talking about. Honestly, they should just buy an exhibitor's booth already if they really need the space of 2 tables. The "uniformity" that the con is expecting is a totally reasonable rule.
Also lol at their responses to the comments.

On another note, saw another comment on AANI complaining about how terrible Alibaba is and how there is no customer service. Ummm yeah unfortunately you should have known the risks before you jumped in. Don't think Chinese manufacturers are gonna fall all over themselves trying to appease you. Now, please keep spreading the word lmao

>> No.9989623

ALA programming artists are usually guaranteed an AA space, but they're now asking if any of us would be willing to share a dealer's hall space instead (two artists per spot).

Now that the AA is back indoors, the shared dealer's booth would definitely be the shittier option right?

>> No.9989633

>>9989574
>how terrible Alibaba is and how there is no customer service
Lmao, I saw that and my first thought was "good riddance". Hopefully people who can't take the extra stress will go away so my manus aren't as overwhelmed.

>> No.9989637

>>9989573
>Don't commit to a schedule you can't keep, though.
Yup, definitely this. Consistency is key. It's a very good idea to keep a stock of pages in advance so you have something to post if ever a life emergency arises.

>> No.9989652 [DELETED] 

>>9989410
>>9989412
No pics yet, I am currently still talking with them. I sent them my design in ai format and png with pantone color codes and they have continually managed to fuck it up. Aparently the girl working on my proof is not even the designer and instead the warehouse communicator. She is terrible at communication and continually manages to make my proof farther and farther from what I showed them. If you want me to show you their proofs they've sent me I'd be happy to.

>> No.9989654

>>9989410>>9989412
No pics yet, I am currently still talking with them. I sent them my design in ai format and png with pantone color codes and they have continually managed to fuck it up. Aparently the girl working on my proof is not even the designer and instead the warehouse communicator. She is terrible at communication and continually manages to make my proof farther and farther from what I showed them. If you want me to show you their proofs they've sent me I'd be happy to.

>> No.9989663
File: 859 KB, 2048x1648, 4BFC83A6-3681-4706-A50D-4EC88F574EE3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9989654
>manages to make my proof farther and farther from what I showed them.
Dude what is with the zap companies recently? Like I’ve mentioned a million times before they edited some of my charm files without my knowing or permission, and I’m just like
Why? What would compel them to do this and edit shit when no one asked?

Went through my “replacement” zap orders today and had to scrap some of my G11s, because some of them have the white part showing on the left, and some have it showing on the right. I don’t know WHAT the fuck Zaps have been doing recently.

>> No.9989665

>>9989663
You could always sell them at a discount instead of scrapping them? But yeah I'm super pissed about EPF because this is pushing back production by weeks now.

>> No.9989711

>>9989665
I really shouldn’t have to scrap them or discount them at all. I paid money for 100 charms, I shouldn’t have almost 15% be shitty quality.

>> No.9989717

>>9989623
No the AA is in a corner no one usually goes to, exhibitors it still better location in the hallway

>> No.9989719

>>9989711
No I don't believe you should and you're right to be upset, but hopefully you could at least recoup some money rather than none?

>> No.9989795

>>9989623
Could be hit or miss. Most of the time artists report less sales in the Dealers but if you're a really popular/really skilled artist it could work in your favor.

>> No.9989860

>>9989623
I haven't heard from them yet even though they said they'd reach out by now. I would take it regardless.

>> No.9989918

How long does it generally take for Vograce to respond to an inquiry? I sent a message a couple of days ago to Coco but still haven't heard back. Should I try again with someone else?

>> No.9990074

>>9989918
I usually get a reply from her within 2-3 days, but one of my friends got a reply from her only after 3 years, so....by that time they've already been working with Vicky for 2+ years or so kek try someone else

>> No.9990077

>>9990074
HAHAHA wait like, they suddenly responded to a specific sent inquiry from 3yrs ago, presumably not realizing how old it was? That's hilarious

>> No.9990132

>>9989918
Since Coco's the main recommended contact I'd try ordering through another person, see who responds first.
If the inquiry hasn't been "read" within 24 hours I message Vicky

>> No.9990159

>>9989918
Usually within 1-2 days for me. But might want to check your spam box. One time all her messages was going to my spam when I was in the middle of an order. And IDK why since I have over 100 long email threads with her.

>> No.9990164

>>9990077
Yeah I thought my friend was exaggerating so I asked to see a screenshot and Coco really just responded normally I don't think she realised it was 3 years late

>> No.9990188

>>9989918
coco sometimes takes awhile but you can always resend your inquiry, she just responded to my email (about whether or not my order had shipped, apparently she forgot to email me tracking) so maybe they're a bit overwhelmed atm?

>> No.9990247
File: 35 KB, 768x768, 0F16466B-4488-462D-9654-5233BB20FE05.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone know what printers zaps or vograce use for their acrylic charms? I’ll pay $300USD to anyone that can give me a model number/type/purchase link.

>> No.9990470

>>9990247
Why not do some research and purchase a flat bed printer that is useful to the quality and quantity you're looking to produce, and has a repair technician who actually lives in your country?

>> No.9990691

For double-sided charms, is it better to up the brightness/saturation for the backside design? I heard the back can be less vibrant than the front so I was wondering if there was a way to counter that

>> No.9990737

>>9990691
>the back can be less vibrant than the front
Who told you that?

>> No.9990740
File: 141 KB, 500x448, 1433350762840.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I guess according to Cali's tax website I now have a seller's permit and paid sales tax on what I owed them, but do I need a document in hand for artist alleys? I can't find any information on this. Jesus Christ is this confusing.

>> No.9990746

>>9990737
I think it was some artist guide post on tumblr I read a while ago. Is it not actually a thing then?

>> No.9990753

>>9990740
Legally speaking you should print your sales permit out and bring it with you, and you're technically supposed to display it for customers to view but most cons don't require it, just that you have it available for review. Many cons also request a copy for their records so it's safe to just carry two copies with you.
My understanding is that you also need the address for the con on it, so if you have a permanent one, you need to add the addresses onto it and print that version out, or if you have a temporary one, you need a new one for each convention. I haven't used their new site yet so I'm not sure how complicated that is to do now.

>> No.9990755

>>9990740
Some California cons don't check, but you should at least bring a copy of your seller's permit at check in and have it accessible during con if anyone comes over to ask. However, no one is gonna ask for physical proof to see if you paid sales tax.
>>9990691
Vograce used to have issues with one side printing duller/lighter/darker/etc during con crunch season, but so far this year I haven't seen any problems from them.

>> No.9990759

>>9990755
>>9990753
I can't find an option to print anything out. All I have is a number. I registered for a regular permit, not a temp one (I thought...?), since I do online business for sales tax and whatever. All of the guides on sales permit printing seem to be about the old website.

Sorry if I'm being a dumbass, I probably am a dumbass.

>> No.9990762

>>9990759
Wait, I'm a dumbass, there is an option to print.

Fuck this entire website though, nothing is easy to find on it.

>> No.9990772

>>9990737
Usually the back is more vibrant than the front, since technically the front is behind a layer of 33mm acrylic, and the back isn't.

>> No.9990792

>>9990772
>33mm
I know it's just a typo but i just pictured the chunkiest charm of all time and it was really funny

>> No.9990801

>>9990762
Yeah, they swapped over around Fanime and it's been a massive clusterfuck. The new head of it actually called me to ask me questions about what I do because he didn't understand it I guess? So you're definitely not alone on this one.

>> No.9990916

>>9989654
Could you post the proofs and what they're fucking up? I was thinking about trying them out, but if they can't even get things done correctly during pre-production then whew.

>> No.9991076
File: 149 KB, 220x214, CFFD9BEC-8BFA-48B1-B206-7FDAE30CA6A8.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So some company (that I’ve actually heard about before) reached out to me asking for commission pieces that they’ll use for T-shirts, posters, stuffies, stuff of that nature.
It will be mass produced and available as retail, but the question is is how much should I charge per piece? I’ve never worked with someone this caliber before so I’m so nervous on what to charge them. They’re going to want multiple pieces per month (I don’t know for how long) and I’m just at a loss of what to toss out as far as a number for how much I should charge. Please help me, what range should I ask around?
I’m so nervous.

>> No.9991079

>>9991076
Pick an hourly wage you like, ie 25-50+

Calc approx time to finish each piece. Add 2 more hours to the time because you know your dumb fuck self is going to underestimate it.

Or just bill them per hour.

Look at final price tag and see if they like it.

Make sure to get a written contract too, especially since you're signing over commercial rights.

>> No.9991086

>>9991076
what >>9991079 said, especially the
>Add 2 more hours to the time because you know your dumb fuck self is going to underestimate it.
line. Whatever you think is fair, add a little bit more. Either they accept it and you get paid more than you thought you would, or they will talk you down to the price you originally wanted, so they think they are getting a deal and you get what you want.
We can't really tell you an exact price without knowing what your art looks like or what is being asked of you exactly.

>> No.9991090

>>9991076
>>9991086
oh and also, expect the whole thing to fall through. Don't take it *too* seriously until you are actually sent money. Stuff like this. no matter the company, falls through more often than it working out.

>> No.9991094

>>9991076
This job won't be worth it unless you upcharge them like crazy, OR you're getting royalties on every single piece they sell.

This kind of deal sucks for the artist and if I were you I wouldn't bother with it.

>> No.9991331

>>9991076
I would charge alot more than normal, because this is commercial work (they are using for business and making money off of your art). Commercial rates should be higher than personal commission rates.

Also this sounds like "work for hire" where you give up all rights to the artwork for someone else to profit off of. If someone else is gonna make money off your art, and you get no royalties. Your rate will be higher than normal to account for not being able to make anymore money off of the artwork anymore in the future.

>> No.9991336

>>9991076
This kind of job seems like a big deal when you're new to art but it's really a dime a dozen. Not to spoil your excitement, it could end up being very good for you. But it could also end up being a miserable nightmare. Like other anon said, best way to calculate an hourly rate, and either charge them hourly or factor that into the cost of each piece. The last thing you want is to realize you've spent hours on those pieces and walked away with less than minimum wage. Protect yourself with a contract and be prepared for them to pull the plug in the middle or do things with your art that you don't approve of. If they don't pay you on time, don't keep working for them under the promise that they'll pay you later.

They might try to gaslight you into thinking they are a big deal and you might not get other opportunities and you should be grateful to work with them, but never forget that you're a person that deserves a certain amount of respect and comfort in your working life. If they think your pricing is absurd then they're not a legit company, or they get by on taking advantage of young, excited artists.

>> No.9991371

>>9991076
>>9991079
I'd agree with this, but also consider If they get the rights to your designs, you price higher. At least within the editorial sphere thats how it works.

Look this book up, its the industry standard:
Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines

>> No.9991463

>>9991076
This >>9991079 is a good start,
and >>9991371's recommendation for "Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines" is a good one.

Charge extra for revisions past a certain point.

Read through your contracts carefully.

Expect that if this is for a major company (Cartoon Network, Marvel, etc) your art is going to be chopped up into it's base assets and re-positioned and re-used about a million times. If it's a piece with a background, expect the background to be removed from the printed merchandise 90% of the time. The edits might make your art look worse. Make peace with it now, it's a standard contract clause for merchandising.

Approach the deal with confidence as a business person, and don't second guess yourself on what they tell you is "industry standard" if it's lower than what you want to work for hourly. Work out how much it's worth it to you to have their name in your portfolio, and don't be talked down lower than that after negotiations.

>> No.9991497
File: 173 KB, 1075x1830, IMG_20180912_194823.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9989654
I'd run away from EPF just from the list of "acceptable" pins. This is listed directly on their website.

>> No.9991510

>>9991497
Yikes I didn't even see this. I Ve done two orders with them so far bc the deals seemed good. The issue I'm having is with the second order. The first should get in tomorrow, so I'll let you all know how it turns out.

>> No.9991552

Very lightly related to >>9991076 as it reminded me.
An indie music company wants me to design an album cover. I already did thumbnails for $25

I said something very stupid as a result of my social anxiety and being starstruck that someone actually not only wanted to commission me, but were willing to pay near proper price. Normally I charge $60 for full color and they said they'd pay me $250

This was a conversation I had in person with the owner. I dumbly said that he can have the production rights for free and not pay me royalties.

I got a mass email sent to me and the other artists of the album insert about the contracts, and in it the guy mentions that I'm giving free royalties/commercial use while asking the other artists to name their price.

I'm fucking kicking myself and wondering how I can him to pay me a commercial license too because "I changed my mind" or that I literally spoke without thinking from my anxiety... Anyway I can word this to sound professional?

>> No.9991557

>>9991552

Technically you CAN change your mind if you haven't signed anything, but as someone who hires artists and has to budget stuff around their answers... I'd skip you, unless I was a fan of yours. It's really unprofessional to go around changing agreed terms right before signing, specially since you personally talked with the owner.

>> No.9991629

>>9991552
>Anyway I can word this to sound professional?
You can possibly specify use at this point, and maybe a time limit for when they can reproduce the art royalty free. Tell them you are fine with no royalties related to the actual print and sales of the album itself, but if they want to use the art anywhere else, such as shirts or products, you'd request a commercial license. You can also give them say, ten years, where they can produce the art with no payments from you but if they want to produce the album as is after that, they'd need to pay you (unlikely to pay off for you, but just in the case that it becomes like a classic high selling album; you don't want to become an old gran and see your art on tshirts in target and never have gotten a dime past that 250).
There's no way for you to professionally ask for production rights on the album itself at this point because your initial statement was not professional. Try not to make any agreements in the first meeting from now on and only promise you'll consider things before you answer for sure in text later.

>> No.9991635

How much would a good percentage of royalties be per image? 10%-30%? More? Less?

>> No.9991648

>>9991552
As other anons have said, you've skipped the part where you can be professional if you REALLY want to change to a commercial license. I would personally never hire you again though (if I was in their shoes) or recommend you. You fucked up, I honestly suggest you just deal with your mistake and move on and take it as a lesson for your next job like this.

>> No.9991702

>>9991552
You might want to shoot an ask to http://dearartdirector.tumblr.com/ also about this. they might have a different opinion (or the same)

>> No.9991730

Does anyone have experience with contracts/legal language for rights to your design? I'm thinking about getting some original work manufactured in China and want to be able to provide a contract so that I have at least something to cover my ass. For reference, I've manufactured fanmerch with Chinese companies before but I never really worried about putting down legalese since I don't own those characters anyway. I'm trying to find like a bare bones template for a contract that prohibits the manufacturer from using my design without my permission. I tried doing cursory googling but wasn't able to find anything useful. If anyone could nudge me in a direction, I'd be grateful!

>> No.9991786

>>9989457
>>9989461
>>9989573
>>9989637
thanks all. also is there a better free host than tumblr? sorry if off topic, but no one on ic seems to know.

>> No.9991873

>>9991730
Get a lawyer

>> No.9991983
File: 21 KB, 480x360, 130987668687656995.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I want to start selling at out of state conventions... but I'm terrified of flying.

I'm fine until the plane takes off but then my anxiety goes into overdrive and I'm basically waiting the entire time for the plane to just suddenly drop from the sky. I KNOW it's completely insane and unlikely but I still end up in that fight or flight state until I'm back on the ground, and for any flight longer than like a couple hours it's especially exhausting and stressful. I would genuinely rather drive all day which is feasible for one or two states away from anything further I feel like I'd be burning money not to fly.

The easiest answer of course is "get over it" which I'm hoping will happen as I fly more, but I was wondering if any other gulls had bad travel anxiety, and how they deal with it? Do you bring certain kinds of distractions with you or take any specific medications? I've considered trying CBD but it can make me feel nauseous.

>> No.9991992

>>9991983
This is not the healthiest way of dealing with it at all, but I just accept death and expect to die. It's always really exciting when I make it off of the plane! The whole second chance at life thing really gets me pumped for the con, too.

Now hopefully an anon with a more sane point of view can help you out.

>> No.9991993

>>9991983
Go to a doctor and tell them you have flight anxiety, but you have to travel for work. They should give you some benzos. Take them before your flights.

>> No.9992013

>>9991730
I just googled sample NDA contract templates. And modified to my needs. Tho desu, it's just a means to let them know you would be a troublesome client if they did break NDA. But there's no real way to enforce it unless you're willing to hire lawyers and all that... and even then, not sure if you can win since while it is your art, you don't necessarily own the IP you drew (if it's for fanart).

>> No.9992014

>>9991983
Realistically speaking, flying is quite safe, and the odds of dying from flying are actually much much lower compared to driving, which is very high. I know this might not help with the anxiety issues. But it's one other way to look at it.

>> No.9992035

>>9991983
This guy does a really nice job of talking about all sorts of flight-related scenarios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4DoiUXGDro

Also, something that helped me get over my fear was watching the flight attendants. They're used to this shit and seeing how calm they were helped me stay calm. This isn't always possible on takeoff/landing so you might want to intentionally pick seats near where they sit.

>> No.9992058

>>9991992
Haha, kinda same. The chances of being in a crash is low, but so is the chance of surviving the crash. I just think to myself that if I do crash, I'm going to die anyway and I can't do anything about it. If I can't do anything about it, then no need to worry anymore!

But yeah, the human body isn't meant to be propelling into the air at high speed so planes really are a crazy piece of human innovation and it's natural to feel some tension when flying imo.

>> No.9992135

>>9992013
It would be for my original characters, anon! As I mentioned earlier I didn’t bother with copyright contracts before because fanart isn’t my IP. Thank you for the advice!

>> No.9992186
File: 66 KB, 634x499, crown.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9991983
Yooo. I have panic disorder. Take off and landing is the worst and also any turbulence. Sleeping is not an option.

But I live in CT and have family in LA and well we are all getting older and I find myself flying out like 2-3 times a year now.

Something just /clicked/ on my last flight home.
My brain also kept going "It's just air" and I just watched movies and it was good times.

So I guess my advice is it will suck for a while but then it becomes just a thing you have to do I'm more annoyed that I'm going to be stuck in a tin can hurling through the sky for the next 6 hours. Minimizing it and thinking of a disappointed British man also helps.

>> No.9992227

>>9991983
I had a terrible fear of flying too, so I spent days researching plains and air crashes. I'm diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, so you'd think reading about crashes would make it worse, right? It actually helped, because it put a lot of my fears at rest in becoming educated.

My biggest fear, like you, was the plane just dropped out of the sky. But that's not possible, save for a couple military planes that overloaded with cargo and dropped during take off from the weight.

With commercial flights though, physics doesn't allow an object in flight to just drop. The planes have backup engines. So if they stopped working, the other would turn on. And even if there was a freak accident where they all malfunctioned, the pilot could still steer the plain down to safety... Think how a paper airplane guides. That's what would happen.

Also the safest place to sit on a plane is in the back, but no more than 4 rows away from an exit. Studies showed people who survived crashes were most seated in the back, in the middle aisle and the middle seat, no more than 4 rows away from the door. So book your seat accordingly.

>> No.9992254

>>9992227
>my fears at rest in becoming educated
This so much. I watched MayDay a lot back in the day, which freaked out my mother because she feared I would develop airplane-phobia. Quite the opposite though, I found that learning more about plane crashes made me more confident in planes and pilots. It's one thing to know statistically that crashes are a freak accident, and another to /know it/ know it because you're aware of all these different factors playing into flying safety.

>> No.9992344

>>9991983
I make jokes about dying to my friends (eg. "lmao if i dont reply in 3 hours im a pile of meat and bones in a field somewhere remember to scrub the porn off my pc"), slam an extra anti anxiety med, and immerse myself completely in a chill game on my switch like stardew valley.

>> No.9992421

does the loneliness ever end?

>> No.9992433
File: 897 KB, 309x272, zoidberg slinky.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9992421

>> No.9992567

Wow, this thread took a heavy turn. I didn't expect to contemplate mortality in the artist alley general.
Anyway, hey, weather's not looking too bad for SPX tomorrow, that's good!

>> No.9992572

I need some advice. I'm just starting out and I'm thinking about using Etsy because I really need people finding me on that platform, despite the higher fees. It seems like everyone has moved on to tictail, storeenvy, and other places, though. Are they better overall just to dodge fees?

If you started on something like Tictail, how did you get your shops name out there and sales? I'm just curious since most people I know outside of AA don't know what Tictail is.

>> No.9992654

>>9992421
Doing AA longterm can be pretty lonely yea..

>> No.9992696

>>9992572
Just use etsy and don’t think about moving to anything else until you’re getting at least some sales every month and have a base to promote your new shop to. For unknowns absolutely nothing will beat the free promotion your shop will get from Etsy marketplace.

>> No.9992753

>>9992572
Etsy has higher fees because its a much better platform.

>> No.9992802

>>9992421
>>9992654

Is it?? AA is the only time i get to do mass socialization with friends if I did it more frequently than I do already i might die from over socialization. Every con weekend is like a sleep over / slumber party with friends all weekend.

>> No.9992852
File: 31 KB, 636x708, 1503202229256.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9992802
Not those anons, but at least for me personally AA just reminds me of my crushing loneliness. My art is popular so there is constant traffic and sales, but if I'm alone at the table no one will stay to talk or hang out. If my friend is helping out or sharing a table with me, the whole duration there will be people chatting there. I guess I'm just not as easily approachable, but man it does feel a bit shit to talk with people all weekend and then remember they were actually there for someone else.
But obviously, different people will have different experiences and views on the subject. Not everyone is good at making friends, and not everyone even wants them.

>> No.9992877

is anyone selling nsfw stuff at conventions? i wanted to start selling nsfw artworks next to my sfw art, but i'm afraid that the nsfw stuff could sort of "scare" away customers who only are interested in sfw art as in they wouldn't want to approach my booth anymore? Or is that nonsense?
Also i'm not sure how i should present my nsfw artworks at the booth. Is it alright if i just censor nipples etc or do i have to keep most of my prints under my booth because of attendees under the age of 18?
i would really appreciate any sort of help on this topic..;;

>> No.9992890

>>9992877
if you have a lot, you could put them in a marked folder seperate from your other stuff.

>> No.9992903

>>9992877
A separate folder with big nsfw/adult etc on the top and keep it closed when no one is looking at it. If someone certain underage want to watch just say it's not for them.

>> No.9992905

i read something the other day about 'easing the path' ie, people will only take something if it's obvious other people have done it first. like not filling up a brochure pile all the way.

has anyone tried that for sales? is it true?

>> No.9992915

>>9992905
I get the mentality behind 'sales tricks' like this but also like you can avoid having to do stuff like this by making stuff people want to buy. lol

>> No.9992979

>>9992852
me

>> No.9993065

>>9992852
>>9992979
ughghghakjdf same, except my art isn't exactly popular lol. My art is decent though, and I have a few obscure series so people will come over to fangirl and I'll try my best to fangirl too, because I AM really passionate about the series I draw. But then it dies down REALLY fast because I'm just socially awkward and can never hold up a conversation unless it's a close friend.
Then I table next to my friends, who constantly have people visiting them (though it helps that they also have a sort of online presence) and coming back to gift them things and getting excited talking to each other and I'm just like....hipleasemakefriendswithmeIloveanimetoo. The one time I tried to make friends in person with an artist I've been following online it was so painfully awkward I just decided not to show my face again asjdl;fkj.
It doesn't help that I have pretty bad RBF, as confirmed by some of my friends.
But even though I can't socialize for my life, AA does make me happy and I do enjoy the somewhat fleeting experience of appearing "social" (at least during transactions)...though it could be in part because I've only tabled with friends so far. If I tabled completely alone I don't know how I'd fare.

>>9992905
You mean like putting up a "only 2 left!!!" sticker when you still have most of your stock?? I've never faked this but I can say that yes, it does work if someone has been eyeing a piece but "needs to budget across the weekend" or "buys all their stuff on the last day" or whatever, etc etc that would otherwise hold them off from buying.

>> No.9993066

>>9992877
Presumably you mean lewd women with their tits out and not full penetrative adult content? I find women are shyer than men about lewds, they'll be much less likely to approach if you put a lot up, but if your target demo is usually guys then you'd likely actually draw more people in with a lot on display. Also, people in general are a lot less sensitive about mostly naked women. I've seen prints with women with their thighs spread and pussy lips on full display through their clothes in front of children and the con just lets that happen.

Personally I go with a discreet binder with everything covered up, because my audience is usually women who are quite shy about this stuff. If anyone wants to see the uncensored then I card them.

Keep in mind that a lot of cons don't allow adult content so if you are doing anything borderline pornographic then you should run it by the con first. Every con has a different stance on these things.

>> No.9993069

>>9992905
Tricks like this absolutely work and it's wild. Another thing that works is having a stack of something on the table and not just a single display copy. I switched display styles in the middle of a con like this and I went from selling no copies of some of those books to people snapping them up.
>>9992915
You can make stuff that people want to buy but people always come with their own loaded psychology telling them how or what to buy. They might really want a thing and even regret not getting it later but their brain will talk them out of it. Tricks like this just appeal to their brain the same as any business, and make them feel okay about spending money on you. I'd personally never actually scam people like the folks lying about how many are left, but the whole idea behind designing a display is to encourage sales.

>> No.9993094

>>9992905
It's kind of similar, but i'll sometimes put a sticky note for "1 LEFT" at the end of a con which appears to convince people on the fence to grab it rather than browsing the hall further and potentially forgetting about it. Of course, that requires me to actually sell out of it first, but I do think I've picked up some last sales that way I otherwise might not have.

>> No.9993100

>>9993094
i mean, at the end of a con, you might as well tack it up on anything you want? it’s not like they’re going to know you lied

>> No.9993103

>>9993100
You mean besides when the customer buys it and sees that I don't take the sticky note down, or maybe takes a lap and sees that it's still up? I don't really feel the need to lie to get my sales.

>> No.9993123

>>9993094
>i'll sometimes put a sticky note for "1 LEFT"
That sounds awful. Its very common for a group of friends to come to my table wanting to buy something, sometimes the same item.

>> No.9993130

>>9993123
Well, either way, I'd only have one left, so they wouldn't all be able to get it anyways. At least it'd be known upfront.

But it also sounds like a difference in demographic, since I rarely ever get groups of people buying the same item even if I get a lot of groups splitting a B2G1 deal. Do you sell more fandom heavy things? I know a lot of people with similar fandoms congregate together and bond over their similar series, but I'm a waifu table and I rarely see friend groups who share a best girl.

>> No.9993137

>>9993103
I put the "1 LEFT" sticky note, if there's 1 left in the box, but another on display. I stick it onto the display and leave it up even when the one in the box is gone, because my excuse is the literal "last last one" requires me to disassemble my booth and it's more of a hassle. Most customers seem to understand, in fact if they see a guy purchase the "last one" then they're willing to purchase the display copy off me so they won't miss out.

>> No.9993298

>>9993103
yeah, i don’t suggest saying ONE left. maybe 2-3 left. similar sense of urgency, better deniability

>> No.9993484

Has anyone else had shipping issues with Vograce recently?
All my previous orders have been sent with TNT but my most recent one was sent with EMS and has been held up with no updates for nearly 10 days now.

>> No.9993508

You know, I really hate when things say they're 'body inclusive' and yet they don't have a single rail-thin girl in the previews, all chubby ladies. It's like not all lesbians are fat lesbians.

>> No.9993518

>>9993508
yeah, i'm a bigger lass (although more muscular than chubby) and this bothers me too. Especially when all the 'inclusive' 'fat/body positive' stuff is all perfect hourglass curves (or otherwise extremely idealised fat distribution). Girls built like refridgerators and pencils are far more judged and looked down upon than someone with massive hips and tits who also has a bit of a stomach paunch.

>> No.9993620
File: 50 KB, 605x409, 4-46.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9991992
>>9991993
>>9992014
>>9992035
>>9992186
>>9992227
>>9992344
Thanks a ton for all the advice gulls, it's comforting to know there's other people trying to make it in AA who struggle with the travelling part of it.

I don't know why the fuck I never thought to actually do deep research into plane crashes, I guess I was worried it would just make me so scared I'd never do it again, but I'm watching some videos now and it's genuinely making me feel better (I didn't realize most crashes happened during takeoff/landing, maybe that will help with the panic over longer trips).

Anyway I don't want to derail the thread too much with anxiety shit but thanks again for all the input, hopefully other people found some useful tips in it too.

>> No.9993723
File: 78 KB, 540x540, BDF1F0EE-2024-41AD-B389-47D821CF852D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9993620
Not to scare you but I never had a phobia for flying until I started working on aircraft myself.
Now, with all the important maintence they have to go through, and considering how old most planes fucking are, I’ve never been more afraid to fly commercial lol
If you watch the plane come taxi in to the terminal and then watch it quickly taxi back out for liftoff, you’ll notice that barely anyone checks over the plane for any damages that happened in air.
I can say with confidence that any mishap that’s happened before in commercial airlines could have been prevented almost 95% if they had just done better walk around before take off.
(I’m reffering to issues that involve the plane only, not external issues like birds)
Not to be a negative Nancy just wanted to share my reasons for my personal flying fear.

>> No.9993757

>>9993723
Do you work for alleigant or what?

>> No.9993758

>>9993484
Stuck in New York customs? There's not a lot you can do but wait. I'm so fucking over ems/USPS for my products.

>> No.9993763

>>9993508
>>9993518
I mean, I can see your point of view, but also, you can see thin girls in most other media and art. When they say body inclusive or are promoting body positivity they are most likely making up for a gap in a larger culture where most girls are shown as thin and encouraged to be such. No need to piss on someone else's attempt to make a space for themselves in society. You literally have everything else. Go and buy that stuff instead.

>> No.9993772

>>9993763
promoting unhealthy lifestyles sounds bad to me.

>> No.9993773

>>9993772
I hope you don't drink or smoke, anon.

>> No.9993776

>>9993757
Military aircraft. We (obviously) have the highest requirements for aircraft checks and man do commercial liners barely do any of them.

>> No.9993796

>>9993773
I don't.

>> No.9993804

>>9993763
I don't think you realize thin girls also have a hell of a time finding anything that'll fit too. Speaking as an American where the majority of people are fat. Yeah, media may represent us, but they don't show the back of the model where the clothes are pinned together to make it fit.

>> No.9993891

>>9993772
Cool job repeating the same argument everyone who hates fat people does. Thinness is also frequently associated with poor health related to bad diets, deprivation, anorexia and bulimia. Not to mention that obesity in this country is often associated with poverty. If people have no choice but to eat cheap food that's not as healthy for them as it should be that doesn't mean they should also feel like garbage about their bodies in addition to struggling with money. Just let people enjoy their fucking art and go look at a magazine or billboard if you want thin people.
>>9993804
Extremely thin girls, I agree with you, but also no, they don't design clothes for fat girls either. Clothes for women are just consistently badlydesigned to fit the spectrum of female bodies. They're only designed for one specific weight, shape and height. Literally every woman struggles with clothes unless they're the absolute ideal or they're wealthy enough to have shit tailored for them.
Sage because this is so off topic.

>> No.9993915

>>9993891
But I don't think they are designed for one ideal. I think they are just cheaply designed. Boxy cuts fit apples and rectangles only. Forget pants though if you don't fit in their height/width scale. The cheaper they make it, the flatter it gets. Anyways, body inclusive should be all bodies imo, why would you not want support from everyone?

>> No.9993927

>>9993915
Then go make your inclusive line. Stop shitting on those who are expanding it at least a little bit in another direction.

Fuck these semantics!

>> No.9993931

>>9993758
No, still in China! I'm wondering if they're overwhelmed and are behind on shipments.... I'm hoping they've just skipped updating tracking and it'll show up randomly (has happened in the past). Just getting a bit sweaty since a few other artists jumped in on this order and i'd had to disappoint them as well.

>> No.9993936

>>9993763
My point was entirely about being inclusive of body shapes that weren't CURVY, because 98.5% of 'fat positivity' art is ONLY for curvy, 'ideal fat' types so is just as useless for representation as your average anime girl is for a skinny person, but go off

>> No.9993959

>>9993936
Sorry, my comment was directed at the first anon complaining skinny girls should be more represented, I realized I shouldn't have tagged you in that one. I actually agree with you.

>> No.9994034

Some artists create backgrounds by using real life pictures, then overpainting. If one would sell a print like that, would you consider it 'cheating'?

>> No.9994036

>>9994034
no, but you should reaaaally check that they're royalty free.

>> No.9994037

>>9994034
as long as they took the pictures themselves or used public domain ones, no

>> No.9994045

>>9993891
>Thinness is also frequently associated with poor health
A thin person can be healthy. A fat person can not.

>obesity in this country is often associated with poverty.
Yea, because poor people are awful with their money so they buy expensive junk food. Water is cheaper than soda, rice is cheaper than pizza, canned chili is around the same price as an item at a fast food place, but has at least twice the calories and protein to keep you full.

>> No.9994046

>>9993927
I'm not, just saying it's false advertising.

>> No.9994053

>>9994045
>A thin person can be healthy. A fat person can not.
go be dumb somewhere else, please.

>> No.9994054

>>9994053
Sorry facts scare you.

>> No.9994055

>>9994054
I guess I'm lucky that you're not saying facts, then

>> No.9994057
File: 122 KB, 349x320, PKThloP.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9994055

>> No.9994062

>>9994034
I think it's fine as long as you change up some details in the bg and/or edit lighting, colours etc, I don't mind referenced photos for bg but it's so painfully obvious when the artist doesn't put the energy in actually translating it to their style.

>> No.9994063

>>9994045
>poor people are awful with their money so they buy expensive junk food.
You've never been poor in your life, shut the fuck up. You know what's fucking cheap? Ramen noodles. Boxed mac and cheese. Canned vegetables loaded with sodium. Canned fruits loaded with sugar. Not cheap? Fresh veggies and fruits, fresh meats, the actual shit that middle and upper class people can afford to eat regularly. Unprocessed shit that's actually good for you because it doesn't have a ton of additives, but it's expensive and goes bad much sooner. Bottled water is just as expensive as soda and frequently tap water in poverty stricken areas is not the best to drink unfiltered. So poor people eat fast food so they don't have to cook all the time, like normal people do. So poor people buy frozen food that's easy to prepare so they just don't have to fucking worry about it. Rice is about as good for you as white bread unless you're eating brown which costs more. Canned chili is full of salt and sugar and preservatives that make you just as fat as a fucking cheeseburger. Fuck you and your privilege. "Poor people are bad with money." Fuck off, fuck you.

>> No.9994068

>>9993772
B8

>> No.9994071

Can we stop with the offtopic trolling? Go to tumblr or twitter if you're desperate to argue this so hard.

On a more artist-alley related topic, what original art themes work best for you guys? I want to try doing a zodiac themed set but I'm not sure if it's still a popular thing - i've noticed succulent stuff declining in popularity (probably because everyone and their mother has done succulent shit) but witch themes seem to just be becoming stronger seller as we approach halloween. I've also unexpectedly found that 'uncommon' animals drawn cutely has been a massive seller for me (reptiles, insects, etc).

>> No.9994082

>>9994063
I grew up upper middle class and when I moved out of my parents house, I was making under $25k a year and I lost 20 pounds the first year on my own. I was 180 pounds at my parents house, 3 years later, i'm at 145. Wealth has literally nothing to do with healthiness. I eat SO much better now than I did before.
Obese people don't get fat eating rice and canned chili. Its the snack foods, soda, and huge portion sizes.

>> No.9994095

>>9994082
Doesn't sound like you were living off welfare, food stamps, disability or social security which is how most of the people in poverty are living.

>> No.9994103

>>9994071
be careful about zodiac themed stuff, you'll get peppered with 'omg is that homestuck'

>> No.9994110

>>9994071
>>9994103
Please do it and ignore the homestucks. I would love for more cancer zodiac items that are actually cute!

Also I will buy well drawn beetle things without thinking. My true weakness.

>> No.9994114

>>9994110
>ignore the homestucks
why not just tell them it is homestuck related and sell your merch to as many people as possible?

>> No.9994117

>>9994114
many cons still have artist alley terms that specifically ban selling homestuck merch because the creator was real trigger happy about cease and desists a few years back

>> No.9994122

>>9994117
I never said to sale actual homestuck stuff.

>> No.9994274
File: 111 KB, 500x500, yello diamond sticker.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

crit this please fellow gulls. it's supposed to be a monochrome pastel-y job, but i can't into yellow for some reason.

>> No.9994277

>>9994117
His ex-girlfriend was trigger happy with the letters, not the creator. I haven’t actually heard of anyone getting a cease and desist after they split a while ago. Now that he sold the rights it could be different.

>> No.9994282

What do you guys feel like is the most straightforward and easily understandable way to display prices?
So far I've had price tags next to the items with the name/some info to help recognize them and price. My variety of products keeps increasing at a good pace, so I'm starting to wonder if I should get a small list with all the prices next to each other, since I'm afraid individual tags for everything would be cluttered. Should I still keep the price tags if I end up getting the list? Also is there a good way to put multiple similar things in one tag, for ex. charms S/M/L - prices 1/2/3 ? I feel like this would be easy to understand, but I don't want to risk losing possible sales for having confusing pricing and people too afraid to ask for clarification.

>> No.9994319

>>9994282
Keep the smaller price signs even with the list. In my experience, a lot of people see a list and kind of gloss over it. It's a tl;dr situation

For the S/M/L thing, I've always put up one price sign that's formatted like this -

Charms
Large: $10
Small: $8

>> No.9994320

>>9994277
sure, but some artist alley rules still ban it as a remnant from that era. i know sacanime for sure does but haven’t tabled anywhere else

>> No.9994363

>>9994320
Well, you can't exactly copyright horoscope signs so it shouldn't be an issue if you don't put the H word near them.

>> No.9994384

>>9994103
do people... still care that much nowadays? I think astrology/witchy stuff is way more "in" than homestuck so it shouldn't even matter

>> No.9994409

>>9994045
>>9994095
Hi anon. I'm living off ssi, ebi, and section 8. I'm 5'6" and 120lbs. Up until last year I was 104lbs for 6 years. I've been on these "leeching" welfare programs for 10 years. I bet you really hate me. I get a total of 9k/year and I have 0 debt and never missed a bill or rent payment.

My body is a mess due to my weight and I'm constantly in the doctors due to my disability and my eating disorder. I skip meals because I don't have the money to afford healthy foods, and for the first 4 years of this extreme poverty, I was 180lbs because all I could afford was the cheap food, and I cannot stand the taste of sugar, so I've never ate tons of candy, and I've stopped drinking soda for over 15 years now. I was born into one of the most expensive states in the US, but because I'm disabled and poor, I cannot up and move somewhere cheaper. And because I'm anal about making every payment on time and not being "dumb" with my money, It's has been extremely difficult to save anything.
Especially when security in most places to move into is around 2k alone. After 5 years of the excessive meal skipping, the 2 years of the few AAs I can manage to get to not being able to drive nor having a lot of money to produce more items than prints, taping my shoes and safety pinning my broken purse, I'm finally at $800 in the moving fund.

Cheap white bread is $1.99 here that's made up of sugar and high fructose corn syrup, and the good bread is $3.99. A SINGLE orange is $2.50.

Like others have been saying, you've never clearly have been born, and your favorite show is probably Fox News.

Sage.

>> No.9994415

>>9994409
*EBT
*Been poor.

>> No.9994420

Somewhat relevant to the thread but has anyone else gained a bit of weight since doing aa full time?
I gained 50 pounds in the last 3 years or so doing 25-35 cons a year and spending most of my time off working on new merch. Before this I worked two retail jobs to make ends meet and was always on my feet. Even though my bank account looks good and I’ve never been happier in my life I feel like should slow slow down for the sake of my health.

>> No.9994429

>>9994420
Yes. >>9994409 here
I actually didn't change my eating habits at all this past year and gained 20lbs. I used to work out regularly, but due to my financial situation I've been working on my art REALLY HARD and I'll be sitting at my laptop 10-12 hours a fay save for bathroom breaks.

I know I needed to gain at 104, but the developed eating disorder made the weight gain really upsetting to me. Using those calorie calculators, I have to eat less than 1,024 calories per day in order to maintain my weight at my current lack of movement. Which is really sad, because of how calorie heavy American food is, and ESPECIALLY the "poor food". It's so easy to reach my calorie limit with just eating a bowl of rice and mushroom curry and a bowl of cereal and onions milk (and that's the "healthy adult" no Marshmallow cereal too. 1/3 cup is a good 200 calories, not counting the onions milk... Who tf just has 1/3 cup of grain oats)

>> No.9994434

>>9994409
i'm actually not sure what point you are trying to make is.

>>9994420
AA has given me more free time, time I can spend being out and exercising.

>> No.9994435

>>9994082
>You don't get fat off eating rice and chili

Um....anon, yes you do...

>> No.9994440

>>9994435
You can literally eat nothing but twinkies and not get fat. Go to a fat friend's house and see what they eat for meals, its not a small bowl of rice or a can of chili.

>> No.9994443

>>9994420
I have. A way I've found to counteract weight gain from cons. Is become more conscious about not over eating. I only eat until I am full, and not any more over that. Also, drinking water only, and skipping on soda, juices, sweet drinks, and alcoholic drinks (those are calorie bombs, even though I get the social aspect of it).

>> No.9994447

>>9994434
Assuming you're anti fat and poor anon, the point is that the world is not black and white. I'm poor and thin/under weight AND I don't make "poor financial decisions" as I've never put myself in debt, but was born with a disability in an expensive part of NA. It wasn't my financial decisions that made me poor, but being disabled and limited in jobs I can do as well as not being able to travel and get myself out easily.

There was also a time where I was overweight while poor due to eating only food I can afford since I'm extremely careful with my money, and even though I was working out nearly everyday, I was still fat.

So it's not like everything is always just one certain way that you think it is. There's lots of variables in life, and you can't put people into boxes.

Again, sage.

I know this shit should be saved for Twitter and tumblr, but the fact is that these people who think like this about others are our neighbors in AA. They are possible network relationships. And if it's possible to maybe just change someone's mind about their fellow artists who may be fat/poor/whatever, then we should. We will often have to share the same room for 3-4 days with the person who looks down at you because you're overweight or don't come from a typical background. And no one wants a shitty table neighbor.

>> No.9994457

>>9994420
I've actually... lost a bit of weight. (Not a ton, just a couple of pounds.) But I'm a naturally anxious person and cons are a huge source of anxiety for me. I never feel "at ease" until I'm done setting up so I'm high anxiety for a couple of days before a con (packing, double checking to make sure that I didn't forget anything, travel anxiety, poor sleep, tsa anxiety, totally unbased fears that they won't have my table when I get there, stress nightmares...)

I've been doing this for a while now but I still can't figure out how to get myself to relax. My boyfriend/partner is amazed that I still sleep poorly every single time I have to travel for a con because I stress out so much. You'd think I'd have gotten used to it now.

How do you gulls deal with travel anxiety and the general stressfulness that is the con life?

>> No.9994463
File: 33 KB, 400x400, lemme at them lemons.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9994274
Too dark. You gotta go lighter for pastel.

>> No.9994527
File: 233 KB, 500x500, push.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9994274
Push your contrasts more.

>> No.9994597

>>9994457
I used to be like that, but now I'm so prepared and I know that I at least have my shit together on my end. If anything happens out of my control, so be it, I can't do anything about it anyway. You can only control so many things, so be really good at those things and find confidence in your own self-trust. As for anxiety about random shit, just remember that you'll be back in your own comfortable bed in about 3 or 4 days, remember that other people (including TSA and security) are just normal people who just want to be done with you asap, and if something happens because YOU fucked up, just accept it and see it as a reminder for next time.

Just relax, man. Prep way earlier than you think you have to, go set up hours or a day before the con opens, basically just give yourself more time to do things.

>> No.9994617

>>9994597
I’ve been doing cons since 2010 but I still can’t seem to get over it! I definitely try to set up the night before if the con lets me!

>> No.9994633

>>9994457
Hi are you me

Tbh I've been trying to cut back on event because of this. I sometimes get invited to events so I've been pushing more and more for cons to provide me for my costs to aleveate some of that stress but then I just stress out about my programming instead xD

I don't actually have anything useful to say, but I feel your feels anon

Oh, one thing I do that make sure i eat is I pack sandwiches.

>> No.9994882

hi, is there a 'selling stuff on etsy' beginners guide any of you would recommend? I don't see anything in the OP

>> No.9994895

>>9994882
Make sure you have clear pictures of your product, be clear on your shipping/return policies, and make sure you use etsy shipping labels. Thats about it for basic beginner stuff.

>> No.9994936

>>9994882
I mean there are a bunch online, but they're all going to be like >>9994895 but longer and with more mom-isms. Is there a specific thing you have questions on?

>> No.9995064

>>9994633
>sometimes get invited to events
Are you a published comic artist/animator on a well known show/something like that, or a highly popular independant artist, if you don't mind my asking?

>> No.9995127

I'm a little salty about something, but idk if I should be or not
I had 4 acrylic sheets around the size/shape of paper that I needed laser cut into a slightly smaller rectangle. I messaged a local artist alley artist who has a laser cutter if she can do it for me and she said yes. I go there and she says it would cost $20??? Then she got snarky when I showed surprise about it. I asked if she'd do it for $10 and she said yes.
Just kinda salty that 1. she didn't tell me she would charge me or how much until I actually showed up, and 2. that she tried to charge me $20 just to spend 15 minutes max to cut out a very rectangles. I'm not just trying to look for free stuff, but I thought since we were both artists with the same business/audience size that she'd help me out and I could help her out later and we be artist alley friends or whatever? I'd think a relationship with another local artist would be more important than 10 or 20 dollars.....

>> No.9995135

>>9995127
While she should have told you that she would charge you before you went over, what the hell where you thinking lmao. You should know better. Nothing is free. If you want a mutual positive relationship where you both help each other out, you have to start by helping her, not by asking to be helped.

>> No.9995139

>>9995127
The machines are expensive and even light use goes toward wearing it out, so I think it's fair of her to charge for the use. You expecting it for free just because you wantedto be friends is a bit entitled. She's a random artist to you and you to her so she doesn't owe you anything. But it sounds like she sprung it on you when you arrived and that's also not cool. Just try to let it go and if you ever ask her again then get the pricing in writing up front.

>> No.9995140

>>9995127
Uh, who the fuck are you that you think your friendship is more important than her making money off of the services she is providing? Do you have some sort of mega fanbase?

>> No.9995152

>>9995139
I agree with this. If she had told me she would charged me in the messages, I'd be cool with it. Its the suddenly asking for a decent amount of money for extremely little work, and then getting snarky with me after being surprised is what i'm more annoyed about.

>>9995140
idk if custom cutting stuff is even a service she really provides, so I thought she was just being nice and was going to cut something for me real quick from how the messages sounded.

>> No.9995153

>>9995127
It's fine to charge, it's not ok to not be upfront about fees. Like if she said back, ok I'm working on about how much this would cost for this service, can I let you know day of? In the same motion you now know to ask: How much would it cost to _______, next time you ask for a service for anything.

>> No.9995157

>>9995127
I don't think you should be salty. Even if it's a 'little work' its a specialty machine, if it was cheap and free to access you wouldn't have had to approach her to use it anyway....charging a fee is totally reasonable, especially since you guyws aren't actually friends, lmao? It would be different if it was like you know, 'can you cut this acrylic for me and i'll make you some badges' or something like that, expecting randos to do stuff for you for free just cuz you're in the same business is...naive is probably the kindest word to use here

>> No.9995170

>>9995127
Reading this just gave me severe embarrassment for you and I hope to god you apologized to her, otherwise expect your story to be told by her to all her own artist friends. I know exactly who you're talking about, too.

>> No.9995189

>>9995170
>apologized to her
? For what?

>> No.9995191

>>9995189
Not that anon, but you should apologize for being a presumptuous shithead and whining that you have to pay to be provided a service.

>> No.9995193

>>9995189
>some rando messages you about using your machines
>they're local so okay whatever, you can let them go to your house
>they arrive and expect you to do free labour
>you don't even know them
>you try to be firm and tell them you won't do it for free
>they have the gall to haggle
>in the end you relent because you don't want to cause drama in the community
>they somehow still paint themselves as the victim
I dunno, anon seems like they're in the wrong here.

>> No.9995199

>>9995127
>I thought since we were both artists with the same business/audience size that she'd help me out and I could help her out later and we be artist alley friends or whatever?

Fucking lmao. It's very likely you've already tarnished your own rep.

>> No.9995211

>>9995191
>whining that you have to pay to be provided a service.
I didn't though.

>>9995193
>some rando
I wasn't a rando. We've talked before.
>they arrive and expect you to do free labour
Thats what happens when you don't quote someone.

>>9995199
>It's very likely you've already tarnished your own rep.
?

>> No.9995253

>>9995211
bruh its like 'how to be a polite human 101' to ask to pay for or exchange something for -any- labor...

>> No.9995255

>>9995127
She definitely should have let you know beforehand how much it would cost. But going into something like that expecting free labor when you don't have an established rapport with them is kind of weird, anon.

Like... even if that person was a friend I would offer to buy them lunch or take them out for tea at the very least.

>> No.9995259

>>9995255
>even if that person was a friend I would offer to buy them lunch or take them out for tea at the very least
That was the plan.

>> No.9995260

>>9995199
Makes me wonder what they considered equivalent "help" they'd to be able to hypothetically offer in return. Since, y'know, they're not the one providing access to a piece of equipment that costs thousands of dollars.

tip to op: Becoming friends with someone doesn't mean free access to their resources. You essentially ruin any chance you have of becoming friends by expecting that upfront. If anything, friends always try to pay/tip each other generously. You shouldn't have assumed it was going to be free. It's so funny that you said "I'd think a relationship with another local artist would be more important than 10 or 20 dollars..." ..if that's how you think then why didn't you just cough up the $20 without complaint? Since it's less important than a good relationship with another local artist or whatever.

>> No.9995265

>>9995260
> they're not the one providing access to a piece of equipment that costs thousands of dollars.
I would if they asked.

>You shouldn't have assumed it was going to be free.
Thats what happens when you don't tell someone it will cost money.

>.if that's how you think then why didn't you just cough up the $20 without complaint?

Because that is an absolutely ridiculous price. It was obvious she had no intention of wanting to have any sort of business relationship and it was scummy to not give me a quote until I physically got there.

>> No.9995273

>>9995265
>Thats what happens when you don't tell someone it will cost money.
That's the thing though. You shouldn't need to be told. The global assumption is that things always cost money, with certain exceptions. Not vice versa. You shouldn't be assuming that the service would be free, even if you are friends.

Honestly, if I got there and she asked for $20 and that was over my budget, then I would eat the costs because it would be my fault for not clarifying what prices I would be comfortable with. Between coughing up $20 once (lesson learnt) and burning bridges with a local artist, I know what I would choose. In the future, I would keep more of a professional distance with that artist though. Obviously they don't see you as intimately as you see them.

And regardless of friendship status, if business is involved, make sure that the expectations and responsibilities of both parties are crystal clear.

>> No.9995279

>>9995265
Hey anon, would you mind posting who you are so I don't have to deal with you, like, ever?

>> No.9995288

>>9995273

> The global assumption is that things always cost money, with certain exceptions.

Didn't cost her money, so I didn't think it would cost me. Not like asking for free help from fellow artists is a crazy thing. I always help artists out when I can. I even give random people free stuff at my artist alley table when they ask if I have any free stuff.

>Between coughing up $20 once (lesson learnt) and burning bridges with a local artist

the bridge was never there to begin with. I was just mistaken in thinking there was one.

>>9995279
sure, pokupoku studio.

>> No.9995299

>>9995288
Anon, if you post your side of a story, and STILL come off badly to everyone who reads it, you might need to reevaluate yourself. Even when I used the self-service laser cutter back when I was in design school, there was a minimum $10 fee, just for maintenance, time, cleaning, etc.

>> No.9995303

>>9995288
the equipment costs money and time. every use of that equipment is wear and tear until the next maintenance cycle / replacement part / etc.

you don't just expect the bridge to exist. you have to build it. that's why they use a bridge for said metaphor. i mean, idk. i would estimate that if someone invited an acquaintance over to their house for any reason, there was a pretty decent potential for a bridge.

>> No.9995324

>>9995288
>actually leaving your handle
The absolute mad man

>> No.9995339

>>9995288
>pokupoku studio
ah it all makes sense now

>> No.9995340

>>9995288
I remember you. You came here asking for input on a really terrible business card design and then just copied an anon's edit for your store logo.

>> No.9995351
File: 365 KB, 246x821, untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9995288
Oh it's fucking you again

Time, upkeep, and maintenance all cost money. And you giving randoms free shit does not mean you're entitled to free shit.

>> No.9995355

>>9995288
>non-artist selling shitty early 2000's era furshit
>making drama over literally nothing

at least some things will always be consistent, crafters always shit up these threads. go back to the flea markets where you belong

>> No.9995394

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you motivate yourself to do this? I would love to do an AA but every time I think of it I just recall how saturated the market is, how you can buy better artist's versions of the same things online, how these are usually all just small indie sales and I'd be lucky to earn $100 if I went to a con - which I'd have to take my full time job off for ( I work weekends so I'd be losing out on a full day's paycheck to make only a 3 hour equivalent) and international shipping from my country for anything less than 500g is literally $24. Imagine trying to convince someone to pay $24 for an $8 charm!?

I feel like I'm starting out in a market that really doesn't need anymore stores and doesn't have the consumer power to justify itself either.

>> No.9995399

>>9995394
If I'm going to be honest with you, I wouldn't be doing this if the money wasn't there. I don't know you, so I don't know if your $100 estimate is accurate and not just a pessimistic fear (although it sounds like you're not from the states, where the most profitable cons are), but I certainly would not be missing out on a paycheck to sell at a convention if that were my revenue.

On the other hand, I don't see any harm in opening up an online store since it's much more of a passive process. If people aren't paying that cost, then that's less work for you. If they are, then you're doing just fine. It's much less of an investment than conventions are. I also regularly get people paying $30+ on international shipping for my prints, so it's not impossible.

>> No.9995415

>>9995399
It's both fear and realistic? I'm from Australia and there's definitely some AA tables which make bank and travel around the country selling for an income - usually pretty high quality artists who are honestly leagues above me and their merch is worth the markup because I don't think there's any other similar artists in Australia up to the same tier. I'm definitely more of a hobby artist trying to turn a hobby into a side gig and not replacing my actual job.

But I'm also friends with a mate who has gone to the last 3 conventions and made a profit of $5 or even lost money on the stall price.I would say this friend's merch is pretty basic tier though and they do about 0 market research. But making zero profit is definitely on the cards.

>> No.9995434

>>9995415
NAYRT but am an anon who does australian cons - you've acknowledged that your friend has basic art and no awareness of what's popular. If you even just have the latter you can at least make enough to be worth a weekend's worth of work (presuming, of course, your job isn't already very well paying in which case why bother with AA lol).
I'm an average artist (technically competent but there's nothing special about my style) and I make 2k+ profit per the bigger novas and more at SMASH and Madfest. I'm not living off cons by any means but they give me a nice cushion to what I already earn through my day job. I get fretting about stuff like how people could just buy better things online but you severely underestimate how much of each artist - even the good ones - sales rely on con goers being notoriously impulsive buyers.

DESU the standard of art in Australian cons is....low. Especially since most cons aren't juried at all. Even if you're not some over rendered sakimichan-esque anime superstar, if you make your style work with your technical level (see: almost every kawaii :3 artist) you can still make bank.

>> No.9995446
File: 240 KB, 1552x873, 642E359C-32C3-497A-B9B7-D8D7C1C1412E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9995288
>someone asks who you are
>”sure, it’s pokupoku studio”
The absolute M A D L A D

>> No.9995458

>>9995434
Thanks anon, this actually helped a lot.

>> No.9995504

kinda sad you guy are willing to spend 30+ minutes arguing with someone on 4chan than to spend half the that time helping someone in the community.

>>9995340
>and then just copied an anon's edit for your store logo.
well yea, the anon gave it to me. Some people in the community like to help each other out. I only even kept about 1/3 of the design anyways.

>>9995324
>>9995446
idk why people are so scared of posting their shop name on /cgl/. All it means is more shop views for me.

>> No.9995514

so I finally caved and got an instagram account. Are there any tags and tips you guys would suggest to gain followers? I'm hoping to get a decent following before opening an online store.

>> No.9995526
File: 109 KB, 1280x720, 266F9879-34A9-41C3-B9F6-DCF2DCD45CF6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9995504
Shop views don’t pay the bills, and 1200 sales in six years is pretty pathetic if you ask me. Did you think that was a high amount or something?

/cgl/ is helping me learn that there are a lot more literally autistic people in this art/anime community than I initially though, so I’m thankful for that.

>> No.9995544
File: 36 KB, 1056x469, Screenshot_2018-09-19 Etsy - Shop Dashboard.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9995526
>1200 sales in six years is pretty pathetic if you ask me.
I didn't even have any listings up for the first 3 and a half years....

>> No.9995567

Any advice for someone who has been out of the AA game for about 10 years? I've been to a handful of cons since then and I'm pretty daunted by the much wider variety of merch than I used to see back then and I'm wondering if my old habits are too antiquated to stand out. I used to sell both prints and traditional commissions on-site, but I think I'll just give quotes for digital commissions from now on and not worry about trying to finish pieces in person since I'm a much more tedious artist than I used to be.

Do you guys think I'll still be able to do well if all I do is sell prints of popular and nostalgic shit, with a little bit of original stuff peppered in there? Do I need to start producing prints larger than 11x17? I'm sorry for basically asking to be spoonfed, I'm just really overwhelmed I guess.

I'm familiar with current tax laws and working on updating my business license, and looking to sell in America if that helps.

>> No.9995575

>>9995567
>Do you guys think I'll still be able to do well if all I do is sell prints of popular and nostalgic shit, with a little bit of original stuff peppered in there? Do I need to start producing prints larger than 11x17?

Welcome back to the AA game, friend! Lots has changed since the days of just selling prints, buttons, and laminated keychains!

I find a lot more customers are looking for things other than prints. But, if you have some really unique artwork prints still do sell. I don't recommend going any larger than 11x17 though. I get lots of customers nowadays going "aw I love this, but I don't have any space on my wall" and then walking away. And if you offer a smaller size of the same print, customers will always go for the smaller size.

>> No.9995599

Hi, I made a preorder purchase from an artist at the anime expo artist ally this year, but I haven't recieved it yet and it's been over 2 months since AX. I've gotten a few emails from that artist about it and I actually got an email from the artist over 2 weeks ago asking for my shipping address again but I still didnt get anything nor is she replying to my emails. I even tried messaging the artist on twitter but they didnt respond. Is there anything I can do? Also I don't want to name drop because I dont want it to be a witch hunt :/

>> No.9995610

>>9995504
I’m the anon who did the mock up. I didn’t actually give it to you? It was a suggestion toward what could be changed and you literally copied all the design elements. Usually people try to put their own flair when they revise according to the advice here.

Anyway, it’s even sadder than you came to 4chan to complain about another artist when that person didn’t even do anything wrong.

>> No.9995612

>>9995599
At some point you might have to make it public but before all that, send another message asking for just an update if they haven't shipped it yet and this time put a time limit on their response.

Rough example:

"Hi [artist], I know you're busy but you have not been responding to my messages about my pre-order from AX and I'd really appreciate if you could send me just an update as to the status of my pre-order. I know you may not have had time to mail it out but could you let me know if it's (drawn, arrived, made yet, etc idk what kind of item it is) and an updated time table for when it will ship?

Please respond to this message with a simple status update and new estimated shipping window by next week, Sept 26th or I'll have to start speaking publicly about this which i would prefer not to."

This way when sept 26th (or whatever date you prefer) roles around and you have to escalate it they can't say you didn't give them ample warning for such a simple ask.

>> No.9995617
File: 40 KB, 1016x514, nice try.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9995544
I love how you attached a screenshot of your revenue, thinking that's a lot.

Again, pathetic.

>> No.9995633

>>9995610
>I’m the anon who did the mock up. I didn’t actually give it to you?
Either I left my email or you left yours, but I remember trying to contact you so I could ask you to make changes and pay you, but you never got back to me.

>you literally copied all the design elements.

idk why you are acting like you made something from scratch and I then just used that as my logo. Idk why you are even so salty about it.

>>9995617
Could you be any more salty? You make more than me, do you want a gold star or something?

>> No.9995640

>>9995633
>You make more than me, do you want a gold star or something?
Just want to make you aware that trying to show a screenshot of your shit wasn’t as hot as you thought it clearly was (otherwise you would’ve never shown it at all)

Normal people don’t expect services to be given out for free, and you’re fucking retarded to think “oh our friendship is worth more so you should ask for money”.
You’ll never get anywhere with that mindset, get of your entitled horse, it’s clearly not getting you anywhere financially, socially, or improving your reputation. You understand how many people actually view these threads right? Right now we have 75 posters alone, not even considering the lurkers. I usually don’t post in these threads, so I know there’s a lot of them.

You just mad an ass of yourself in front of that many people.
Take a break, walk away from the keyboard, and reflect on your life a little while you damn idiot.

>> No.9995642

>>9995640
*shouldn't ask; *get off

>> No.9995645

>>9995640
>Just want to make you aware that trying to show a screenshot of your shit wasn’t as hot as you thought it clearly was
I'm not sure why you think I was trying to show off with that screenshot. I did it to show that I didn't get my sales numbers over the past 6 years. I'm not sure why its such an important thing to you.

>Normal people don’t expect services to be given out for free

when I asked, I wasn't expecting it to be free, just sounded like it would be from the messages. I'm not sure how you can say its not a scummy move to charge someone after they already made the commitment and can't turn back. I already said I would have been perfectly fine with it if she made it clear from the messages she would charge $20.

>> No.9995709

>>9995645
Just because she was sort of in the wrong doesn't mean that you're suddenly now in the right. Thinking, "man, that's kinda scummy" to and moving on is fine. But complaining/arguing about it for this long and saying shit like:

>I'd think a relationship with another local artist would be more important than 10 or 20 dollars

>Didn't cost her money, so I didn't think it would cost me.

>I always help artists out when I can. I even give random people free stuff at my artist alley table when they ask if I have any free stuff.

>well yea, the anon gave it to me. Some people in the community like to help each other out. I only even kept about 1/3 of the design anyways.

>idk why you are acting like you made something from scratch and I then just used that as my logo. Idk why you are even so salty about it.

Really says a lot about you, and it doesn't look good at all.
Even if your actions, when scrapped down, are not THAT entitled (got unexpectedly charged -> surprised that you got charged), the way you talk about it and responded to others here absolutely reeks of it.

>> No.9995734

>>9995645
This anon >>9995709 hit the nail on the head: it's not only about what happened, but how you chose to handle it. Even after you managed to haggle down the (very reasonable) price to half, you then still proceeded to come in here to complain about the person like they were some absolute cunt about it. Frankly, by the time you started haggling the price down to literally nothing they should've just told you to fuck off: trying to get a "friend" to do something for you for free which you will then proceed to profit off from is entitled and shitty.

>> No.9995739

>>9995734
Also to add, saying things like "if they just told me to pay beforehand I wouldn't mind" just reeks of bullshit: if you didn't mind it beforehand there's no reason why you should mind it later. I bet you just think it makes you sound better and less like a cunt, but adding shit like "I thought our ~*friendship*~ would matter more than 20 dollars" when you're the one refusing to pay and even going as far as haggling just drives home the idea that you wanted free shit to maximise profits. I do think it's a bit odd that the other person wouldn't ask for money beforehand, but to be fair I wouldn't really take your side of the story as the truth after seeing you try to make the whole thing sound obviously biased in your favor.

>> No.9995741

>>9995734
>>9995739
Yeah, the haggling of $10 is really just ridiculous imho. It can suck to get slapped with an unexpected fee and can defintiely leave a sour taste in your mouth, but haggling it down just shows that you're not some pure-hearted victim here. I'd like to think that most of us make enough in here to not be pinching pennies like this where it can do more harm than good.

>> No.9995742

>>9995612
Oh ok thank. I'll do this, but probably at the end of the week. The other 2 people that also preordered from the artist said the same thing happened and they still dont have their preorder. I was only able to find them from the initial email the artist sent to those who preordered. My only problem with trying to make it public is that I just made my Twitter and i really only use it to follow a couple artists.

>> No.9995753

>>9995739
>if you didn't mind it beforehand there's no reason why you should mind it later.
If she had told me $20 beforehand, I wouldn't have went, which is why I wouldn't mind her telling me so I don't waste my time going down there.
I wouldn't charge someone to use one of my tools once, but if I did, I'd tell them before they are already committed to it.
You act as if I was just going around asking for free stuff.

>> No.9995756

>>9995753
>You act as if I was just going around asking for free stuff
That's literally what you're doing though. You were only interested in it when you thought it was free, and when you found out it wasn't you went and haggled it down so much it might as well have been.
You complain about her wasting your time when you're the one wasting hers trying to get free shit from her and making a scene when you were asked to pay. Just fucking apologize for the misunderstanding and leave at that point for fucks sake.

>> No.9995765

>>9995753
I mean you kind of did. Just get over it and take it as a lesson to always offer to pay first. There's no way in hell i would have asked his of someone without adding a "please let me know your rate!" in there, even as good friends because i want my friends to make money.

>>9995742
I hope this is resolved without escalation but basically if you don't have a following you'll have band together with the other customers and then possible start @-ing the artist's mutuals especially ones you see them interacting with a lot. ***Not in a accusatory way****, but to ask them to check if the artist is some how not receiving your messages etc. It seems like a bother, but if you paid in cash at the con and can't charge back this is kind of your only option so they should understand. The artist should really get the message at that point to fucking just respond to you LOL

>> No.9995767

>>9995756
>You were only interested in it when you thought it was free

I was interested if it was just a few dollars.

>you're the one wasting hers

She should have said no or, you know, actually gave me a quote before I got there.

>> No.9995775

>>9995767
jfc how cheap are you that $20 is a deal breaker? Get out of this thread already

>> No.9995777

>>9995127
who?

>> No.9995779

>>9995775
I'm not sure how not over-paying for a service makes me cheap. $20 is just a little less than the 4 acrylic sheets cost. Doesn't make sense to double the cost of them just to make them slightly smaller.

>> No.9995783

>>9995779
You are asking for a service using a machine you don't own, can't afford and isn't owned by an actual friend. She can charge what she wants to, you simp.
You cannot and will not come out of this situation looking good.

>> No.9995789
File: 254 KB, 622x517, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

am i setting up this file for vograce right a-anons?
im not sure if im supposed to flip the back to mirror the front or not

>> No.9995795
File: 45 KB, 540x530, 13D61E88-C825-4CE7-BD8E-FFB2D552BDDC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9995753
>”If she had told me $20 beforehand, I wouldn't have went”
>”You act as if I was just going around asking for free stuff”

YOU LITERALLY JUST ADMITTED YOU WOULDN'T HAVE GONE IF SHE HAD ASKED FOR MONEY BEFOREHAND HOLY SHIT

Delete your store, delete your life. I’m literally going to go around with screenshots of this thread telling potentional customers and “artist friends” to never work with you you literal piece of shit. Holy fuck, get your autistic ass out of AA, we don’t need this shit here.

Pokupoku, you literally just played yourself, welcome to your fucking burial.

>> No.9995799

>>9995633
> you never got back to me
Yeah, this doesn't mean I "gave it" to you. So I would appreciate you not bringing this up as an example of "some artists aren't petty like the laser cutting girl and like helping each other uwu"

You sound super entitled.

>> No.9995811

>>9995795
I already told my crafter friends about this guy. Where is he located so I can get after artists around him?

>> No.9995812

>>9995811
Huntsville, Alabama.
Given his intelligence level, this doesn’t surprise me in the least.

>> No.9995815

>>9995514
do inktober, tons of people check that tag.

>>9994463
>>9994527
i guess i'll split the difference? thanks for the pictures

>> No.9995849

>>9995789
Typically you have one layer flipped so they're aligned together. Vograce usually does a proof so you can see which one will be flipped, but it does help to write down which layer it is in the name.

>> No.9995898

>>9995795
>YOU LITERALLY JUST ADMITTED YOU WOULDN'T HAVE GONE IF SHE HAD ASKED FOR MONEY
I said if she had told me it was $20. I'm not sure how you are infering that to me I wouldn't go if she wouldn't do it free.

>>9995812
ooo, bigotry, nice.

>> No.9995922

>>9995127
I think what's important is that 99% of people will find this unacceptable. I mean look at this thread, NO ONE you work with will ever appreciate this.

I get it, some people weren't raised right or are damaged. It's okay if you're totally incapable of understanding why you're being a massive douche so long as you understand that just because you disagree doesn't magically mean it's okay, people will respect you or anyone will like you for this behavior. You're still capable of not doing this in the future even if you don't understand.

>> No.9995931

>>9995898
just keep digging that hole, I wonder how many bridges you've unknowingly burned now 'in the community'

>> No.9995954

god, I wish we had some kind of thread moderation.

>>9995931
also this lmao. I personally know a handful of artists who post and dozens more that lurk these threads - basically my entire wider AA circle - and I'm sure the original artist they did this whole shit to has already spread the word in the local comm.

Can't believe this guy comes to the thread like 'idk if I should be salty', has tons of people telling them they're in the wrong and is still arguing

>> No.9995969

>>9995954
same-spreading quite a lot right now.
i wouldnt be surprised if this affects pokupoku's ability to get into AAs as well...i know some AA heads/staffers that browse these threads and will attach the drama to their name when they apply for cons. you never go full retard.

>> No.9995971

I want to raise my prices within the next 2 months on my online store by about $1-2 to offset Etsy fees and manufacturing costs, but I also don't want to screw over the people who have been patiently waiting for me to reopen before the price hike/con season. Should just increase prices now and have a soft opening 15 -20% 'sale' for a few weeks, or should I just raise it later down the line. Is it tacky to announce it in advance? I feel like it would leave a bad taste for most holiday shoppers.

>> No.9995984

>>9995394
My perspective is skewed as I do this as a hobby and not for actual income, but I do this because I genuinely enjoy going to cons and meeting people/seeing friends. I also get tons of gratification from making stuff into physical objects. It just feels really nice.

I think you either have to be making shitloads of money or have to intrinsically really enjoy something about creating stuff or going to conventions to make AA worth it. Otherwise, the amount of time spent drawing, manufacturing, researching, socializing, and, worst (for me), setting up at cons is just not at all worth it.

>> No.9995985

>>9995971
it’s unlikely they’d notice a $1-2 dollar price hike unless your prices are sub-$10, and if they are you’re likely hella undervaluing

>> No.9995986

>>9995969
you guys act like I killed someone's puppy or something. relax.

>>9995971
When I raise prices, I announce it on social media and on my shop to let people know. Most people don't seem to care, especially if it is just a small increase.

>> No.9996003

>>9995971
Add the amount you want to increase your prices to via “handling” on the shipping options.

That way people don’t notice it as much/care as much, and you even said you’re doing it because of the increased Etsy fees. Increasing the handling on shipping is the best way to go about it, and buyers absolutely cannot see what money goes to handling and what goes to actual shipping labels.

>> No.9996007

Can someone give me an idea of how much vograce costs? I'm in the US.

>> No.9996012

>>9995984
I want to do it as a hobby, but I already have an expensive hobby I do for 'fun', so I'd like to make it into a sort of small 'side hustle.' I enjoy the creative process, but my major issue is I'd need to take time off my actual job to go to a convention, so I'd be losing more than just capital costs and time if it fails - I'd actually be giving up part of my weekly salary. If I earned $600 profit for a full weekend I'd be happy. Any less than that and I'd make more just going to my job.

>> No.9996015

>>9996003
>Add the amount you want to increase your prices to via “handling” on the shipping options
This actually wants me to bring something up; Is very cheap or free shipping really that big of a deal? For the past year, Etsy has been pushing *HARD* for everyone to offer free shipping. Every other guide, tip, and newsletter they make, there is some line mentioning how you should offer free shipping.
I basically do what you suggest, my shipping cost is shipping + etsy fees if they just buy a few items. I do offer discounted shipping if they buy 4+ items though, as to encourage them to buy more.

>> No.9996018

>>9996007
Double sided clear charms run about 1.70, and can lower to 1.50 and lower depending on your order size. Colored backgrounds start at like 0.80 and follow a similar pattern.

>> No.9996025

>>9995971
Just increase it. If it's only by $1 you can put it into shipping if your shipping is under $5, if it's more just increase prices. I recently just upped the price of one of my item lines by $2 and no one said a thing and i'm finally making what i'm supposed to. Anyone who would throw a fit or care would already throw a fit at the old price. If you wanted to be extra nice just tweet out that the prices rose by $1-2 to account for higher fees and thank everyone for understanding.

>>9996015
Ehh it could be but honestly free shipping is kind of a scam for dumb buyers who can't tell.

Look, for example if you normally sell charms at $10 with $3 shipping, to do "free shipping" you would raise your price to $13 per charm. This is find i someone buys one, but if they buy 3, they are now paying for $39, which is $6 more than if you just had normal prices and normal shipping.

So free shipping actually psychologically tricks buyers into wasting more money while they think they're getting a great deal, and i'm personally not okay with that so i don't do it.

>> No.9996032

>>9996025
I mean it doesn't have to be a scam if you don't raise your prices. As someone who both buys a lot when there's a free shipping deal and buys from artists I follow, none of them have raised their prices during a free shipping promotion.

>> No.9996034

>>9996032
During a promotion for sure, that's just a sale and free shipping sales are cool!

I thought you meant permanent free shipping because that's what permanent free shipping amounts to otherwise you just lost that money, so i always side eye them.

>> No.9996041

>>9996025
i prefer free shipping even if the total cost is then raised because it allows me to budget a lot easier than going to the checkout page and getting hit with 8 bucks in shipping that i didnt expect

>> No.9996047

>>9995985
>>9995986
>>9996003
>>9996025
Thanks for the input! I forgot Etsy includes shipping and handling in their fees now, so it's logical to stick it there.

I actually raised my prices this con season to match my tablemate's, but I still feel uncomfortable raising my prices for old stock and things I want to discontinue.

On that note, has anyone had experience with selling grab bags online? I worry about opening myself up to bad reviews if a customer doesn't get what they want.

>> No.9996052

Who else scrambling to make sure their portfolio is all good before next week?

>> No.9996057

>>9996052
What's next week?

>> No.9996097

>>9996057
Fanime portfolio application that’s only open for 2-3 days

>> No.9996099

>>9996052
I'm compiling my photos, but I don't have high expectations from Fanime's jury process ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>> No.9996147

>>9996097
ah yes, time for another round of "they let THIS artist in??"

>> No.9996155

>>9996097
What day does it start?

>> No.9996185 [DELETED] 

I want to make a zine digitally, just with regular printer paper. How well does this usually come out? I assume black and white looks okay but I feel color might come out looking blurry/smudgy in a way? Anyone have any experience with that or tips?

First time making a zine but my fans seem pretty excited about the idea so I want to go through with it

>> No.9996187

I want to make a zine digitally, just with regular printer paper. How well does this usually come out? I assume black and white looks okay but I feel color might come out looking blurry/smudgy in a way?

>> No.9996194

>>9996187
I mean, that sounds like something you could easily test out. Just print some images, fold it, staple it and check how it holds up?

>> No.9996210

>>9996047
>has anyone had experience with selling grab bags online?
Sorta. I have the option in my shop, but I think only 3 people have bought it in the past ~6 months. I think everyone who bought it bought it for their kid/grandkid because they weren't exactly sure what they like. I sell the grab bag at a slight discount too.

>> No.9996216

>>9996052
I updated mine, but thankfully didn't have to do much scrambling. I'm glad they're at least doing sign ups earlier this year.

>> No.9996220

To those of you with super successful etsy shops, may I ask if most of your sales are from a big variety of items, or just a couple popular ones? And what sort of items are you selling the most of (charms, buttons, etc)?

>> No.9996230

>>9996220
I'm not an etsy shop, so I'm not sure if this applies, but I sell the most volume of stickers but make the most profit off of prints. Generally a decent variety, although obviously it skews to the most popular. I'd say the distribution isn't too different from a con.

>> No.9996246

>>9996220
I'm not "super" successful, but my top 3 items combined sell more than the rest of my ~50 items combined. You still need a large variety of stuff though since you never know for sure what will be a hit or miss.

>> No.9996259

>>9996220
Variety

>> No.9996267
File: 988 KB, 500x235, 5URi.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone else waiting for twitter to stop being the go to place to post your art. It's such a shit platform.

>> No.9996286

>>9996187
It depends on the printer quality. I have a nice large format printer and it prints color nicer than some of the places I have prints done at. If you're just going down to office depot or something then yeah, it's a dice roll.

>> No.9996290

>>9996267
It is at least slightly better than instagram I guess. Tumblr would be the best art platform is so many people didn't theme their profiles to look like a tacky 2005 myspace profile filled with random reblogs. Deviantart would be the best if they allowed single submissions to contain multiple images like all the other websites do (instagram, twitter, tumblr).

I'd rank them all as tumblr>deviantart>twitter>instagram

>> No.9996309

>>9996290
tumblr is shit for building a fanbase on because it actively discourages tag use (5 tag maximum and railroading the search function which is automatically set to most popular first) and almost all the users exclusively interact with content that someone they follow reblogs

>> No.9996315

>>9996290
For real? I'd rank it:

instagram > tumblr > pixiv > deviantart >>> twitter > facebook

Instagram has been instrumental in turning this into a full-time job for me and helping me build a fanbase I never was able to over years of decent AA success. Literally the only complaint I have is the proportion crop, but as a business tool it's been phenomenal.

>> No.9996359

This is going to sound silly but how do others decide when to print glossy or matte?

What helps you choose one over the other for a design?

>> No.9996360

>>9996309
>tumblr is shit for building a fanbase on because it actively discourages tag use (5 tag maximum
?? How is that *bad*? Thats what makes tumblr so much better. I can't search tags for anything on instagram because of how much irrelevant spam there is. People will just tag completely random things for their stupid memes. It varies, but there are some tags on some days where there is far more irrelevant content than relevant.

>and railroading the search function which is automatically set to most popular first

Also a good thing, tumblr gives you the option to search new or most popular posts, so if your post is popular and relevant, it gets much more attention, rather than be lost in the sea of irrelevant new meme posts.

>and almost all the users exclusively interact with content that someone they follow reblogs

Thats also good....
Its much easier for your content to spread when people can find it through tags AND reblogs/reposts, rather than just tags.

>>9996315
I can't stand instagram's horrible image compression and lack of ability to post anything that isn't roughly square shape. I hate their policies on tags and account ban policies (#lolita is banned, for example. It doesn't affect me, but I hate it morally.). Lack of desktop support (no image uploads or conversations), non-linear front page/timeline. I genuinely can't think of a single good thing about instagram other than a lot of people use it.

>> No.9996424

>>9996315
What are the benefits of using pixiv?

>> No.9996445

>>9996360
I got a Flume student license for $3ish and it's really helped me actually be able to use Insta since I don't have a reliable phone and a lot of my work is scanned or digital.
I think Flume might be Mac-only tho

>> No.9996451

>>9996445
I actually just use an android emulator MEmu to upload and use instagram. It is way easier than having to transfer images to my phone to upload images, but its still clunky compared to every single other social media platform.

>> No.9996452

>>9996451
if you do single image posts in chrome you can also just right click>inspect>mobile/tablet mode>refresh

>> No.9996484

https://cosplay.kotaku.com/how-one-male-cosplayer-became-mai-shiranui-1829161435

Anyone know any single way how to do the legs? Im most interested in that. Anyone know how to do the silicon breastplate would be nice too. Just asking to probably use the technique to make something non-sexual.

>> No.9996492

>>9996484

:/

>> No.9996548

>>9995742
You could always name drop here as well. If it escalates to that point.

>> No.9996561

First year in Katsucon's AA.
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive hotel in the area? (Or looking for roommates)

>> No.9996573

>>9996561
Stay in Alexandria and take a ride share pool in every day. If you're really trying to save money, try the Americana hotel.

>> No.9996580

>>9996484
what thread do you think you're in

>> No.9996597

Crafter here, how do I git gud at online promoting out of the con? I always give my business card with people's purchases, but rarely get orders online. I will admit I don't have much online presence, is IG good for this?

>> No.9996598

>>9996047
>>9996210
I've had some okay epxerience with lucky bags, a good tip is to not actually put example pictures, but instead list what types of things are in it. A lot of people get pissy about lucky bags when they see a specific item they want as an example. If you want to use a photo example just use blank shapes to represent the things.

>> No.9996612

>>9996597
IG is probs best for promoting sales, although it comes with a much younger (hence, many more comments of 'omg its so expensive ):' and begging) population as well.
Twitter also isn't bad but is harder to build a following on.

>> No.9996619
File: 46 KB, 720x571, 20180920_235618.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9996612
Are they really that much younger than other social media sites? I have almost no teenage followers.

While I don't get insights on tumblr, I'd say my fans from there tend to skew younger.

>> No.9996640

>>9996597
Also a crafter but hilariously I didnt get my "big break" until I finally got on Twitter. I didnt use it for so long but finally 1 year ago I started and about 3 months in I got lucky with one post and got a ton of followers. Now my Twitter has more followers than my insta.

I think Instagram really dicks you over with their constantly changing algorithms. When I look at other successful Instagram craft accounts I notice they generally do more DIY, timelapse, demolding, etc videos. I dont really do that on mine.

I would recommend at the least to be on both insta and Twitter. I find my audiences from both are different so while one type of post will be extremely popular on twitter, it wont be on Instagram and vice versa.

>> No.9996671

>>9996424
not that anon but i like pixiv for posting things that i cant post on other sites. mostly really weird porn because the japanese dont care.

>> No.9996719

>>9996612
>>9996640
Thanks guys! I'll try my hand at both then and see what happens!

>> No.9996801

>>9996315
I feel like i would switch twitter and tumblr, tumblr is so dead these days idk. I have almost double the followers on tumblr than twitter but it nets me way WAY less sales

>> No.9996885

>>9996359
My art has a lot of solid line art, bright colors, and cell shading, it looks best on glossy paper because it's more of a 'pop'-ing style. My friend whose style is much more painterly always goes matte.

I think gloss is best for bold colors and strong lines, and matte is better for pieces pushing more elegance or refinement.

>> No.9997075

I didn't realize AX charges returning artists less than new applicants. I noticed it after people started announcing public sign up dates and showing the price for single tables. It was $415 for returning and $490 for new. Even though I'm happy about that since I had to pay less, I find it unfair? We already get early access to apply AND cheaper prices? My friend told me it's an incentive for their recurring artists to keep coming back, but this is AX we're talking about and that just doesn't make sense. AX doesn't need to give incentives, and knowing them, they would charge everyone as much as they can. I guess I shouldn't question it too much.

>> No.9997076

>>9996801
i think that tumblr is terrible for sales because it's the website version of that girl at a con that runs up to your table and says how pretty/cool/cute everything is and how she really wants to but it but has no money at all but you see later with $500 of dealers room alpacasso plushies.

>> No.9997079

>>9997075
I mean, it's not just AX that offer a special price for returning artists. There is no need for incentives anymore, but they're still following a tradition I guess. I don't find it particularly unfair, for the reason your friend said.

>> No.9997116

Are AX tables going on sale the 1st or the 2nd? The subject doesn't match the info inside.

>> No.9997130

>>9997116
Last year was the 2nd on a Monday. I think they probably didn’t update it from last year, 1st on a Monday sounds more likely.

>> No.9997133

>>9997076
IMO tumblr isn't great for sales but you can still get some as long as you make a nice graphic and tag appropriately
If you post regularly, like crossposting once a week you can get a steady amount of reblogs because tumblr is so dead people are fucking desperate for content

>> No.9997162

>>9996359
I personally prefer matte because some cons have harsh lighting and it reflects off the prints which makes it harder for customers to see, especially if they're higher up!

>> No.9997190

I tried getting an AX table last year but they sold out immediately. For those that did, once you selected "register" on the eventbrite page, was your space reserved and were you given time to fill out all your info? Or was it a "fill out all these spaces as quickly as possible" like some FCFS is?

>> No.9997209

>>9997190
Eventbrite reserves your spot for a set amount of time (15-20 mins, whatever the event coordinators chose, you’ll see a countdown timer at the top) so you can type in your information. Once you click the initial check out button you’re pretty much good, no need to go as fast as possible.

>> No.9997214

>>9997209
Got it, thank you anon!

>> No.9997407
File: 310 KB, 671x441, anime_heroine_laminated_charms_by_fueledbyanimation-d9ilruz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So since Vograce steals your designs and sells them to other companies, and Zaps frequently screw up their charms, I'm considering just self-printing my charms and laminating them. (Pic included of what I'm going for).
Does anyone sell their charms like this, or have any experience? I'm not planning to make a ton, just a few to test the waters, and have some variety amongst my other merch.

>> No.9997412

>>9997407
literally the worst option.

>> No.9997417

>>9997407
laminated paper charms get bent SUPER easily so id never buy one desu

>> No.9997419

>>9997407
I'm afraid this artwork is not that great.

>> No.9997463

>>9996187
late reply, but I can't since I go to fed-ex for that type of printing. i'd rather just ask here than pay for an uber trip that i don't need to

>> No.9997465

>>9997407
This is a horrible idea.

>> No.9997468

>>9997407
Make them bigger, put phrases on them or any type of text, switch out the lanyard for a badge clip, and there you go, you have a badge. They sell better at furry cons, but that would sell a lot better than a keychain. Laminated keychains are extremely easy to get damaged where as badges are safer since they're bigger and you wear it on your neck, doesn't go in and out of your pocket. Badges like this sell good (for me) anyway as long as you put something funny or relatable that people identify with (like, "____ is my waifu" or something)

>> No.9997475
File: 317 KB, 1200x900, DBXHsrkUAAEGPJC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9997468
Actually I'll put an example. Mary Mouse does these ones and they're really popular

>> No.9997492

>>9997412
>>9997465
Care to elaborate?
>>9997468
>>9997475
Thanks for the info! I don't make furry art, so. I don't know how well it'll sell but I'll look into it.

Is it worth trying shrink paper + resin for charms? I have a few charms made from card + lamination machines that have lasted a long time and are surprisingly sturdy for what they are, but resin looks more professional, longer lasting, and of course won't bend like laminated charms.

>> No.9997518

>>9997492
just get acrylic charms made and put your name on your art if you’re that concerned with theft. the alternatives are shoddy and not worth the effort.

>> No.9997571

>>9997492
>Care to elaborate?
There's not much to elaborate on. It's just simply the fact that unless these are being sold for $1, no one will be interested. Laminated stuff bends easily. Let's say you're selling these things for $3. For $5 more, I (the customer) can get an acrylic charm that won't look like shit by the end of the weekend. Pretty easy decision. Back in the day, people did laminated charms because there was no other option. Now we have options. Those options are not just Zap and Vograce and whoever else everyone here uses. Alibaba is full of great resources that won't sell your charms. Take the time to do some research and even some shooting in the dark with trying out resources. I promise you you will find a great company to work with.

>> No.9997612

>>9997407
Laminated charms only work if they are custom furry badges.

>> No.9997640

>>9997492
nayrt but shrinky dink/laminated charms don't read as 'acrylic charm manufacturers are so unreliable and untrustworthy' (aside from the fact that there are way more out there than vograce and zap, ya dingus, its not like the problems with them are CHRONIC and many, many people get perfectly fine orders from them) but rather reads as 'im cheap'

>> No.9997841

NYCC Anime Fest with Anime Expo, what does everyone think of it? Is anyone tabling in their AA?

>> No.9997890

>>9997841
Not tabling and personally I think it's scummy. It's clear they're trying to undercut ANYC and a lot of people who remember the original Anime Fest just aren't here for it.

>> No.9997983

I'm having a bit of a friendly disagreement with a friend - he thinks I should stock every design in every size I carry, whereas I prefer to have 'size exclusives' (i.e what designs I have for post cards won't be printed larger, or vice versa). I've found that if people like it enough to want to buy it they'll buy whatever size it comes in, and there isn't any confusion since my display sizes are the only size of that particular design I carry (so what you see is what you get). I found that when I used to do smaller versions of large prints they would eat into my larger print sales.

What do you gulls think? Do you print all your designs in multiple sizes or just the one?

>> No.9998097

>>9997983
Whether it's prints, stickers, charms, or any other product, I have a set size per design. It helps with the drawing progress because I know what size it will be so I know how detailed I should make it, and like you said I've never had anyone say they won't buy something they like because it's not big/small enough for them. I don't really know why your friend thinks you should change it up if you don't have any problems selling all/most of your stock with they way things are now.

>> No.9998132

>>9997983
I only offer art in a particular size it was made for. Some people want my larger prints smaller, but really they'd look like shit. Instead I put them on bags and other things that they can get if they don't want the large print.

>> No.9998340

>>9998097
Do you consider stickers and charms to be same size/competing product?

>> No.9998482

>>9997407
You missed that train buddy. Laminated charms were a convention stable almost a decade ago and only because literally there were no options (inkit, zap, vograce didn't even exist)

>> No.9998515

>>9997983
Just one. I'll do the same series in different sizes and options but I absolutely won't reuse the same image because it's just asking for cannibalization.

>> No.9998669

How is everyone doing at AWA? I tanked 2k from my usual and I'm sad as fuck. Was it bad for you guys too?

>> No.9998693

>>9998669
Sorry to hear that anon, sucks that AWA is never really worth it for its size. I was there last year but it was so dead I decided not to return ever again until I heard good news about it. Too bad because the attendees there are really nice, just cheap.

>> No.9998695

Do any of you guys travel outside of your country (Canada to USA or vice versa excluded) to table at international cons? What was the experience like and what were the major differences between your country's AAs versus the international con? Did you have to mark your prices up or down? Are foreign cons more organized? I like hearing about international artist alley and how they differ from ours.

>> No.9998712

>>9998695
In my experience, Canada/Japan/AUS/Singapore - everything is priced way below US standards and you go with the understanding that it is a paid/discounted vacation

Sans canada - I do not expect profit

>> No.9998782

How does Vograce like their standees set up file-wise? I've ordered charms from them before, is it like that but with an extra labeled layer for for the base?

On that topic, do people prefer single or double-sided standees? Single makes sense to me since it's not like charms where they might flip over but eh.

>> No.9998820

>>9998669
Georgia is just trash. I didn't go to AWA this year, but I did two years ago and it wasn't great. momo-con this year was meh, and another smaller georgia con I went to was trash.
I know its not that my merch is bad because I do fantastic in Alabama and Tennessee.

>> No.9998922
File: 529 KB, 750x1293, 95A72A87-4430-462A-9F1B-5F977488CA6A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do you guys think of the led stands Vograce is promoting? The lights look a little tacky to me...

Also, their tweet to support Trump is hilariously cringe and honestly? unprofessional

>> No.9998968

I find it hilarious that one girl is still trying to shill her How To course on artist alleys in AANI. According to her she only did artist alley for less than two years or some shit and QUIT because she wasn't making enough money off it lmao. A guide for mediocrity.

>> No.9998971

>>9998968
'those who can't do, teach' I guess

>> No.9999073

>>9998922
>their tweet to support Trump
LMAO

>> No.9999106

>>9998922
>>9999073
> They like Trump!

Who cares? Are you going to boycott them or something?

>> No.9999126

>>9998968
Oh I thought she quit cause she didn't have time to travel.

I think she has 2 free videos. I remember watching 5 minutes last year. I stopped watching because it seemed like she was padding out the video.

And since her videos are advertised as "how-to for beginners," I get the impression that her videos are just enough to get you through the door.

>> No.9999149

>>9999106
I hope people will so their service speeds up.

>> No.9999159
File: 65 KB, 480x211, IMG_20180924_203251.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9998922
LED with engraved or etched acrylic is kinda cool. But with a full colored acrylic, the LED clashes. The LED might enhance the art with explosions, characters around a camp fire, or maniacal close-up expressions... I think it really depends on where you place negative/clear space in the art to fully utilize the LED effect. Or else the art will look worse with the LED on.

>> No.9999168

>>9998922
tacky yes but can easily see customers eating this up
"omg! it lights up!!!!! soooo coooool!!!! *buys cause novelty*"

>> No.9999246

>>9998922
They quoted someone $15.41 per LED acrylic stand. DESU I'm not sure how much you can really sell these for at cons or online, to make the cost of making these profitable? Would anyone pay $30 USD + for just one of these? I would rather just sell a regular epoxy charm for $12-15 and call it a day. It's lighter (to transport to cons), cost's less to make (less risk involved), and I have a feeling these LED parts could be more prone to breakage.

>> No.9999265

>>9999149
same desu, please vocally support trump more Vograce I miss your quiet days. hoping someone spreads this around.

>> No.9999292

>>9998922
This is a really weird way to try and convince people not to use them. Anyone who really cares will just go and check if this tweet is real, find out it’s not, and carry on using them regardless

>> No.9999307

>>9999292
the tweet existed lol.

>> No.9999340

>>9999307
Well it doesn’t now

>it was posted on 4chan so it must be true

>> No.9999374

new thread: >>9999373

>> No.9999561

>>9999340
NAYRT but it did exist. A bunch of us did check while it was up. It got taken down because an artist on Twitter messaged them about it and they took it down.

>> No.10001296

>>9995795
>>9995811

Yikes, never thought I'd see another Alabama AA in this thread. At least we know who to avoid at southern cons.

>> No.10001714

>>10001296
I've met a few. Most of who quit /cgl/ because of the bullying.