[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 86 KB, 500x500, AA CGL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9962716 No.9962716 [Reply] [Original]

>Please read the FAQ before posting in the thread (always updating)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (always WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>IP taketowns (based on artists contribution, may or may not have been a one time thing, use as a guideline)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1696MDhNPhrZ0ySZhXkoJnGxb7l1OjW4JsVhu1wKvaWE
>AA Inspo (thanks anon!)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1D19QV9nHwaY8AaNiEXZAAkEhkBTSsb01?usp=sharing

If anyone else has inspo photos they'd like possibly added to the above link, email the account cgldrawfags@gmail.com

We have a discord!
If you want into the CGL AA discord, email graveweaverelf@gmail.com with a picture of your table or merchandise. It is not a jury, just to make sure you do cons.

>> No.9962746

anybody vendoring/aa at ctcon next year? kinda confused with the hotel situation. Is the hotel connected to the con center booked? I haven't received a link yet.

>> No.9962782

what, why is there a new thread already? Also, please post a link to new thread in the old thread so people notice.

>> No.9962818

>>9962782
Anon probably didn't find the other thread in the catalogue (due to Artist Alley not being in its title). Anyway, sage because this one should die.

>> No.9967616

Since old bread >>9956623 is autosaging, let’s use this one.

>> No.9967669

heard someone got 1k stolen from otakon, tin foiling now but since there was a white supremacist rally in DC that weekend - who thinks one of those stole it?

>> No.9967670

>>9967669
Would they even have access to the AA?

>> No.9967693

...anon didn't even try to edit the subtitle on the several threads old OP image, huh.

>> No.9967696

>>9967670
>>9967669
There were only like three dozen people at that rally and it doesn't make sense that one would randomly go to a location a few miles away, get into an area average congoers (let alone ticketless randos) aren't supposed to get into, and find cash to make off with

It's just part of the ongoing wave of AA thefts happening all over, by multiple perpetrators. We've had bad luck with people collectively realizing there's unsecured cash back there and it's easier than robbing a convenience store.

>> No.9967765

>>9967669
I wonder if it's that Canadian pair.

>> No.9967794

>>9967693
Anon should just leave the new threads to Corky.

>> No.9967995

>>9967669
It’s super easy to steal some artist’s cash box. I’ve seen people leave theirs on the floor under the table. Kinda easy if you can see if from behind etc. After reading horror stories I decided to just start wearing mine. The last con I was I was at placed me on end with no end cap table and I had attendees standing behind my table. I’m glad I planned ahead to keep my cash close.

I heard staff was stealing in AA after hours too. Can anyone confirm?

>> No.9968075
File: 160 KB, 524x370, liverpool nec.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i'd like a table partner for sunnycon liverpool 2019, would anyone be interested? or know where i can find someone?

>> No.9968127 [DELETED] 

>>9967995
Where’d you hear that?! But i kinda doubt it. Given how many people are already irritated with AA staff for management and comm issues this year, i feel like if anything like that were credibly noticed/reported people would be alleging it prominently

>> No.9968129

>>9967995
Where’d you hear that?! But i kinda doubt it. Given how many people are already irritated with AA staff for management and comm issues this year, i feel like if anything like that were credibly noticed/reported people would be alleging it prominently

And good idea. After this summer hopefully everyone is switching to things nearly impossible to steal, like fanny packs.

>> No.9968310
File: 15 KB, 437x272, FB_IMG_1534201658724.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This was just posted by a major English VA agency. In case any of you planned to get a table.

>> No.9968340

Do there exist any AAs that allow food/candy sales?

>> No.9968354
File: 60 KB, 960x922, C074BA3A-B0A5-4012-ADF1-FFC38334EDD2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you guys have an obsessive fans? I never asked for it, but I receive quite a few pieces of fanart of my avatar character, an account called “-myusername-fan Page” recently popped up, and people screenshot my responses to them and repost it on their page, among other more ‘usual’ obsessive behavior.
It’s kinda creepy and I’m not used to this... how do you guys deal with this? I also get a lot of messages a day and I try my best to respond but I’m starting to not have a lot of free time by responding.
I feel so bad leaving them on ‘read’ but I don’t know what to do. People are even asking me if I have a P.O. box so they can send me stuff..? I’m not a social person?

>> No.9968364

>>9968354
Just keep a healthy distance from them. Just because they comment on something you do doesn't warrant a response from you; and don't reward the creepier ones by giving them any attention.

>> No.9968365

<script>window.alert(“test”)</script>

>> No.9968370

>>9968354
How do you people with such a lack of social abilities even get into artist alley?
>how do you guys deal with this?
There is nothing to deal with. If you like the attention, then give them attention bad. if you don't like the attention, then don't give them any.

>> No.9968416

>>9968370
I don’t go to artist alleys, I’m online only.

>> No.9968425

>>9968340
If there are, I bet they're at local/small cons who don't really give a shit -- bigger ones will not allow this because a) con doesn't want to be liable if someone sells something that causes sickness/allergy b) food vendors will not look kindly on anybody selling any products that could compete with them and probably put that in their contracts for the event

>> No.9968450

>>9968354
It's a balance. Consider yourself lucky that some people like what you made so much that they want to spend so much of their time with it, but make sure to keep them at arms length and not let them feel like they can influence you or the things you're making. If people overstep then call them on it or block them, don't let them think it's acceptable. They probably feel like you are a bit above them in the sense that the things they are doing won't affect you, like when someone makes a fanpage for an official IP character, but they need to understand that doing that for a small creator is different. Honestly, creators tend to naturally pull away from their fanbases as they grow and the social load becomes unbearable, and although a few might resent you for it, most of them won't even notice if you pull away. Personally, I only reply to people if they have something of value to say, or are asking a well thought out question. I also like to tweet a lot about fucking up and I think that takes a lot of the mystique out of my creator/fan relationship.

>> No.9968498

Sorry if this gets asked often but when ordering from Vograce, how do I pick which listing to order from? There's so many with slightly varying prices and I don't know if it makes a difference if I go for one that's cheaper or not. Only ones with Coco as the contact?

>> No.9968572

>>9968498
No difference in my experience.

>> No.9968587

Crafts thread is gone so I'll post here: Resin gulls, do you have any experience with your resin yellowing on your pieces? I wanted to dome some drawings but my mum said they'll turn yellow. I Googled it and now I'm not sure how to proceed. Is there a way to prevent this or any brand in particular that stays clear?

>> No.9968726

>>9967995
>>9967669
I was in the vendors but several vendors reported thefts that happened during close hours. I didn't notice anything gone, but I have lots of small stacks of things that could have easily had one or two stolen. We also think it was staff

>> No.9968745

>>9968726
what the heck?
ive even seen some smaller cons post official security around the AA doors past closing to prevent theft

>> No.9968777

This is such a bizarrely specific question but has anyone been to Sabaku Con in Albuquerque? Do they even have an aritst alley there? I can't find anything on their current website.

Wish there was more in the way of conventions in the southwest in general, excluding California and Texas.

>> No.9968814

can u make fan art of cells at work and boku no hero or is too risky for a takedown?

>> No.9968823

>>9968814
too risky. dont bother.

>> No.9968828

>>9968823
can I make a drawing of Trump being all might?

>> No.9968855

>>9968587
Your mom probably uses cheapo mom brand resin (no offense). Yes, resin yellows over time, but unless you're using cheap shit, it shouldn't go like yellow yellow in a few months or anything. It'll be a gradual yellowing over time. I suggest using UV resin, which yellows less and yellows slower. Padico is my brand of choice.

>> No.9968860

Has anyone used docucopies for printing before? Is their color accuracy alright? They also ask for 1/4" bleeds instead of 1/8" which worries me a little, are their cut lines usually more inaccurate than other printers?

>> No.9968878

Is there ever any time you start a commission for someone before they pay anything?
Someone's interested in commissioning me, and he has a good rep, but he wants to see Thumbnails before drop any money.

This rubs me the wrong way. On one hand they're just Thumbnails of basically stick figures and the total cost of this job will get me $250.

But I've been taken advantage of too much like this. I never want to do any work for anyone again without something paid down.

I told him he can just do a down-payment of $25 before I start, but he hasn't paid yet when it's been a day (while he's responded instantly to all other emails).

I don't want to throw out $250 for Thumbnails, but I also don't want to do anything for free. Should I just do the Thumbnails and then not continue if he won't pay further before the next step?

>> No.9968895

>>9968878
I don't really know why he'd want to see thumbnails first like it's going to tell him anything about the way the final picture looks, but I guess think about what the worst case scenario will be: he takes the thumbnail picture and... runs off to a different artist to use it, maybe?

If he's willing to pay that much and thumbnails don't take you a long time, it may be worth just doing it-- you can be honest about your initial hesitation to do any free work because of multiple bad experiences. It's not an unreasonable concern, but if you talk up how trustworthy he seems as a client I think it would smooth over the awkward bump of asking for the down payment. Is this a furry commissioner, by chance? I feel like furries tend to want WIPs approved a lot more than others.

If it's a matter of principle, there's nothing wrong with standing firm on needing some advanced payment either though. If he can't understand the need for it or takes it personally then he's probably not going to be fun to work with anyway.

>> No.9968906

>>9967995
Most of the staff I dealt with in AA were people I recognized from 2 years ago, so they have to be returning staff. I doubt returning staff would pull that shit. It's more likely another artist or attendee. Or some one just wants to start beef and decided to spread rumors on 4chan. The only issue I had all weekend was from union security not informed to let artist alley down the stairs, but it was fixed.

>> No.9968913

>>9968878
>Is there ever any time you start a commission for someone before they pay anything?
NOPE
Not unless it is a close friend or something physical that I could just sell to someone else.

>> No.9968922

>>9968878
Thumbnails only take a few minutes, and I always throw them in for free. Consider it a free consultation type of thing maybe?

>> No.9968929

Is mlp style copyrighted?

like can u make OC ponies?

>> No.9968934

>>9968878
Nope. Even doing simple thumbnails is work that you should still be paid for. You were right to try to do the down payment, hopefully he responds to that. Definitely don't start anything until he has.
If he's nervous about it not coming out like how he wants just offer to send him low quality watermarked progress updates as you work on it. People are usually satisfied with that because they can chime in on any changes before you finish.

>> No.9968948

>>9968878
Absolutely you should get paid for drawing ANYTHING, including thumbnails. I think $25 is very fair. If he doesn't want to pay, say fuck him (nicely) and say you don't do work for free.

Assholes who don't pay for work can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. Yes I'm salty about this topic

>> No.9968959

>>9968929
I don't think you can copyright an artstyle, so you should be fine.

>> No.9968972

>>9968878
I'm so mad at the gulls saying "why not, it's just thumbnails." You should never do any work for free and frankly it's highly suspicious that this person won't drop a down payment first. If you're a client and you approach an artist, and ask them to do work for you of any kind, it should only be when you have the fullest intention of actually hiring them. Him being shitty about the down payment means that he's deciding whether or not to actually pay you based on the work he receives and that's an unacceptable arrangement. Explain to him that even thumbnails cost you time and so if he wants them from you he needs to pay for them. If he won't pay that small amount then walk away because there's a really good chance you aren't getting that 250 at the end anyway.

Don't let clients jerk you around. They feel like they have a lot of power and ownership over you when they're dangling cash. Lay out your terms and stick to them and make it clear to them if they won't meet your terms, they can hire someone else. That type of client is not worth the trouble they bring.

>> No.9968974

>>9968929
If you're making art that looks very on model but with your own designs, you can still expect take down notices. If you were using the influence of the style to draw other things, or modifying aspects of it to draw your own ponies, then you might be fine, but if you're drawing flash vector style horses with cutie marks then they can still come at you.

>> No.9969151

>>9968075
I might be interested! I tried to get in but they get booked so quickly. I haven't got enough merch for a full table but i could probably fill up half a table, if that's what you meant anon.

>> No.9969238

>>9969151
Great! that is indeed what I meant. Are you on the discord?

>> No.9969305

>>9968906
NYART but there's at least one artist on Twitter who mentioned that Otakon staff were going around during or after closing hours and going UNDER the tableclothes/tarps artists put over their tables to check for the 50/50 rule. I wouldn't be surprised if things did go missing during these checks if the artist wasn't present.

>> No.9969307
File: 44 KB, 605x344, ota.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9969305
Oops dropped my image.

>> No.9969315

>>9969305
>check for the 50/50 rule
That's kinda dumb though. What if the artist brought high value pieces home with them for safe keeping? That would throw off the ratio.

>> No.9969349

>>9968745
Official security probably wouldn't stop staff from walking in though

>> No.9969353

I just always take my money with me at the end of the day and take a picture of behind my table before I leave.

>> No.9969362

>>9969305
What the fuck? I would never ever attend a con that allows their staff to just look through my stuff like that. I'm sure staff was involved in the theft.

>> No.9969383

>>9968129
A friend posted it to a vendor group I'm in.

>>9968726
She said it was AA, but maybe it was vendor only and because the two are close they wouldn't let anyone in either early without the right badge. It's really shitty that staff would steal from vendors or artist.

>> No.9969542

>>9969383
Yeah I agree, given the number of thefts reported at that time I think it was multiple people too.

>> No.9969553
File: 148 KB, 1920x1080, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Looking for some opinions about jewelry... I want to upgrade the metals I use to better ones because I have a lot of customers with nickel allergies. The only thing is, I cannot get the pendant parts I use in nicer metals.
For anyone with metal allergies. How would you feel about different metals on a jewelry piece? Say for example everything was hypo-allergenic gold-filled metal EXCEPT the pendant/charm on a necklace? Normally this part lays over your clothes so maybe it is manageable for those with allergies. I'd love to get some opinions before I dump a bunch of cash on high quality chains

I've also heard from customers for non-nickel free items they coat them with clear nail polish or use some sort of lotion called nickel-guard. Would it be easier for you to only worry about the pendant and give it a coat?

>>9968587
All resins yellow, some worse and faster than others. Pic related is a good reference for epoxy resins. Some brands of UV resin are also good. I like Padicos new line, star drops (LED/UV). I was never a fan of their older UV line with the green label.

>> No.9969628

>>9969238
Yup. Can you send a message on there? Just so you know, I haven't sold to a convention before, I mostly sell online, but I wanna start getting into cons.

>> No.9969674

>>9969628
put it on the general tab. also i'm a bit of a newbie myself, only done the one con so far!

>> No.9969710

>>9968855
>>9969553
Thanks for the response anons. Looks like I'll be trying Padico then.

>> No.9969928
File: 100 KB, 492x709, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are your thoughts on this posted in AANI?

>> No.9969984

>>9969928
I have feelings about it that I'm sure most of this board would disagree with. I think it's bullshit if you don't share sources of places with storefronts and online presence when the business would clearly appreciate having more business. I think that goes for ali sellers too, even if you had to go through a dozen of them to find one that would do something obscure or performs well, I think that it's unfair to not share that info with others. I totally understand the sentiment behind it and not wanting lazy people to piggyback off the work and money you spent, but ultimately businesses are there to manufacture product and hoarding certain sources CAN be actively detrimental to them. Plus, maintaining this culture of protecting sources means that the person who you denied info to will go on to protect their source on something else, which might be something that would have helped you. If the culture was more open then everyone has the potential to benefit from it.

I think this is different if you actually have contacts that you've hooked up with by other means, like knowing someone who got you a secret manu contact to make a unique product, which is also something that happens frequently. In that case I think it's completely fair to not share your source.

I'm ready to get crucified now.

>> No.9969987
File: 150 KB, 1000x1000, HTB1fL6nNVXXXXadXXXXq6xXFXXX8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Quick question about Vograce charm file setup. If I wanted to do a transparent background like this image, how would I set that up? A bottom layer called "transparent"?

I sent off an email to coco about it but I'm trying to finish some charm designs today and it would be great to not have to wait for it to be daytime in Yiwu for an answer.

>> No.9969991

>>9969984
I'm generally ok with telling people about Vograce and Catprint, but for more unique products I'll usually decline to share sources.

>> No.9970005

>>9969984
>even if you had to go through a dozen of them to find one that would do something obscure or performs well
It's not about that, it's because sources WILL get shittier if the business can't scale properly, just look at the mess that happed with acorn press.

>> No.9970027

>>9969928
I don't mind telling people very basic information, but i've had people literally ask me for a step by step guide on how I got my products, and thats just not going to happen.
I just don't have *time* to hold everyone's hand on how to make my products.

>> No.9970031

>>9970005
I still don't think that's a justifiable excuse. It's the business', well, business. You making those calls for them only helps you, not them. I do understand being upset when a business can't handle its own workload properly but, that's on them, not the other artists. IMO.

>> No.9970035

>>9970031
but why should I royally fuck myself that way over for the sake of "community"? If a business closes because of workload now there's two artists without the product, not just one.

>> No.9970049

>>9969928
Maybe I'm wrong, but speaking from my experience--I don't think artists are wary of sharing resources in general, but more about sharing them with people they don't know. I get that it's a community...but we're not gonna drop everything for "community," especially for people we likely won't ever encounter again. At least, I won't. I don't really appreciate random people asking me out of the blue; I've had people demand to know about my sources in front of all my other customers, then walk away. And I have a feeling a lot of us have had at least one awkward/rude interaction with some rando who wanted their sources. I get that that isn't the point, though...but MY point is that artists all have their own reasons for not sharing, and other people need to respect that. Also at this point in the AA explosion, if you didn't know where to search....did you even start searching at all? The internet is the answer to 95% of the things out there my friends...

I have nothing against sharing, it's not inherently "bad" or whatever--obviously I've been blessed by kind artists who shared their resources with me as well, and I've shared my resources with others too. But artists will share when they want to, and I don't think we should be shaming those who want to be protective about their sources.

>> No.9970063

>>9969928
AA is a business not some artists collective. It's perfectly reasonable to guard your suppliers.

>> No.9970068

>>9969928
The people I recommend to my supplier also reflects on me. I'm not just going to recommend shitty random people to my supplier.

But regardless the reason nobody's entitled to information from anyone else. People can withhold their suppliers for any reason they want.

>> No.9970158

Anyone have first time or generally fun experiences to share?

I love to hear stories like people's first time tabling, funny mistakes you've made, /that one customer/, your unstable display taking out a congoer's eye, forming alliances with neighbors, congoer pointing at your neon price sign and asking how much, merch being mistaken for another series but selling well, embarrassing stories, etc.

>> No.9970175

>>9969984
Uh, I've had people befriend me for my sources and then ghost me as soon as they got what they wanted. I used to be like you but I've been burned too many times at this point to give a shit about the "greater community". I share sources with my friends and with people who respect my boundaries and treat me like an actual person. I've had people accost me in front of customers, ask me about my production costs while blocking paying customers, been lied to about group orders that they could get me in on so they could get my sources and never speak to me again, etc. A random stranger is not owed my knowledge just because we both happen to like drawing.

Do you also walk into restaurants and demand that they share their recipes or they're all ~ruining the community~??? Would you expect anyone else in any other profession to share business information with any random stranger who demands it?

Maybe if we're talking about community, then people who pull this kind of rude nonsense should learn how to respect the artists that they're demanding sources from.

>> No.9970176

>>9970175
Also when people say "sometimes sources get overworked and turn bad" - they're not just making shit up to spite you. It's happened to multiple of us. We've shared sources and they've become overworked, overpriced, and gone down in quality. We're actually speaking from experience.

"Oh it's up to the businesses to decide if they can take on those extra clients!" Oh and you think Chinese manufacturers are going to turn down paying customers for the sake of maintaining quality and turnaround times? No, they're gonna take them all on. It's like you've never done any manufacturing with China before, I swear to god.

>> No.9970199

Lotta people in this thread yelling "it's business, not a community/collective" while making money off being part of fan communities. I think the discrepancy for a lot of people is based on that. When people approach me asking for sources they are generally small time artists who are from fandoms I'm in, just looking to make MOQ, so I don't mind sharing sources with them. I'd rather see more fan merch made for the things I like. But I guess most in this thread would consider me a naive hobbyist with that outlook.

>> No.9970204

>>9970176
>It's like you've never done any manufacturing with China before
Of course not. That's why those retards are begging for sources in the first place. These are the same people who are too scared to order from AliExpress/Alibaba on their own because scary chinaman gonna steal all their money or some shit. I always lie and say my charms are from Vograce and everything else is from Artsmoo.

>> No.9970205

>>9970199
Idk man, main take away for me was "you're not entitled to someones sources and the people who don't share with strangers aren't just being stingy bitches"

>> No.9970211

>>9970204
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this.

"where do you get ur stuff made?"
"staples, and zap "
"thks k bye"

Last con I was at person came by to ask my sources for every single thing at my table, as well as the table prices and when applications were? It's frustrating because you're there to sell your art, not to provide free market research results.

>> No.9970236

I was wondering.

Since we have an AA Inspo doc for AA items and table setups, could we add a category for art websites and portfolio layouts? It was something that was brought up regarding having a better chance of getting into cons that are juried.

Would adding that as a section be a good idea?

>> No.9970292

this is morbid but i have no one else to share it with: i think a person commissioning me fucking died

we've been in communication through email and i would always send in my reworks and get their approval. They would always reply immediately and I would get to work. About a year ago they stopped responding completely. I've sent an email every 2 weeks but no reply. I also checked on their social media they provided me but those too are also inactive. They've already given me the money upfront but I can't finish the work without their approval. I've been sitting here guilty and not sure what to do.

I guess my question is what would you do in this situation?

>> No.9970298

>>9969928
I think that before we think of ourselves as an artist community. Each artist is a solo business operation first.

I'm willing to help others, if it does not hurt me personally. But if giving out my sources leads to worsening manufacturer service or longer turnaround times, then how about no? it doesn't make sense to shoot yourself in the foot.

Speaking of "community" helping each other...Is this so-called "community" going to help me get better quality or turnaround times from manufacturers? I don't think so.

Also China manufacturers as a rule hate saying "no". So it will also be yes or vague answers. And they'll cut corners to deliver your product, and the results will be shitty. That's just how it is.

>> No.9970308

At what level is it acceptable to ask for sources? There's an anon on here I've been relative acquaintances/friends with for like three or four years, and we've met and talked, but we're not super close. I really want to ask for a source for one of her new items (not to be pushy, I'm fine with being turned down) but I don't know if it'd be out of line. I clearly didn't just befriend her for a product she'd release three years later.

>> No.9970309

>>9970308
Adding that I'm friends with them on their personal social media and we have some interaction on there so I'm not reappearing out of nowhere

>> No.9970315

>>9970292
if you happen to know their name might be worth looking up newspaper obituaries that sometimes get posted online. Or if they used twitter you can use the search engine to see other people mentioning their @, it's possible someone might mention it on there. I've seen people just completely drop all social media before and go off grid so hopefully it's just that, either way im sorry anon that's a shitty situation.

>> No.9970319

>>9970308
Just frame it in a way that makes it clear that you're totally okay with them not sharing, but you'd appreciate a lead as you're interested in making that kind of product ?

>>9969984
I was once like you. I'm not American, and I became known as the person to do group orders through to get non-paper merch through. Eventually people badgered me for my enamel pin source so they could make their own orders more frequently. I agreed - since enamel pins are so common place now - on the condition that they only share the source with people in our little community. Nope, they gave it to every crappy mom 'designer' or kid who asked, and my pins went from 3-5 defects a batch to over half pins being defective, and often with far more severe defects than before.
Now I don't run group orders anymore except for with close, personal friends. If people are going to fuck over my manufacturers, they can get stuffed. It's really not HARD to find manufacturers, people are just scared of scary chinese people and it's pathetic.

>> No.9970401

>>9970158
Oh boy do I.
> my first con tabling
> tiny university con. second or first year in existence.
> last minute, only a couple of laminated keychains and a print to sell.
> table partner: how many prints do you you want to make up
> am clueless newb
> um.....50?

I was able to give most away to friends thankfully lol. Also:
> same con
> doing sketch commissions
> making most of my money doing these
> guy to come pick up his commission and pay
> he's kinda autismo, hell, i am too. very excited, says thanks so much etc.
> feelsgoodman
> realize i never had him pay me, oops, oh well no big really
>another girl comes to pick up her piece
>gives me 50
> realize i don't have enough change for her
> "oh, well, can you just draw me some more then to make up the difference?
> draw 4 for her that she gushes over and really loves, I also really like how they turned out and finish them digitally for the future.
>my best selling prints now.

>> No.9970422

>>9970308
I'd say if you chat regularly, if you're not friends at least acquaintance level with some mutual friends as well(that way it seems like you can be more vouched for) are okay to ask
Let them know you understand if they don't want to share. I have some sources I'm not giving up even to close friends but am willing to do group orders for and it's no hard feelings to my friends it's just I can't knowingly let that info out.

If possible you could try to trade manus if you have any you think they might be interested in?

>> No.9970491

>>9970158
Sold someone a wolf tail for ~$26. a few hours later, either the clip on the tail was defective or they broke just it, so they asked me to fix it. Took me about 5 minutes to replace the 10 cent clip and he said thank and *gave me $20*. Never have been given a random tip of more than a few dollars before.

>congoer pointing at your neon price sign and asking how much
Happens at even single con. I have a board with all the prices in the middle of the table. People will stand directly infront of the price list and ask me what the prices for everything are.

>> No.9970528

>>9970292
First of all, please don't feel guilty. Not only did you do nothing wrong, you are going above and beyond to keep trying to contact them.

After doing as much research as I could, i would sent one final e-mail asking them to please respond by some date (another 2 weeks or something) but if they didn't they would forfeit their money and commission because you have run out of options despite trying diligently and that if something had happened to them you are sorry and just want to finalize things on your side.

If you feel like it you can even toss in that if they ever re-appear they are free to claim the work again (But perhaps not the money unless you are in a financially stable situation i have no idea what kind of situation you are in here so use whatever is appropriate!)

Anyway again, this is NOT your fault, you have nothing to feel guilty about. Whether they just wanted to leave the internet or they really did pass away, it is not your fault or anything. Please don't let this hang over your head. Just tie up the loose end with an e-mail and wish them well okay?

>> No.9970531

>>9970158
>second time tabling ever
>I like to give away free pins of people cosplaying stuff from an obscure series I like
>see a cosplayer, get excited, wave them over
>offer them a pin
>them: um......it's ok.....I already got one from you last year
>really fucking awkward and I want to shrink into the floor as they shuffle away

>> No.9970534

>>9970531
Reminds me of when I met someone in cosplay and asked for their contact info, and then met someone else at a different con not in cosplay and asked their their contact info, except it was the same person.

>> No.9970537

>>9970158
I was at my first con (small uni-con), it was my first time tabling and first time and a con and I was doing everything last minute. I was handmaking stickers with my sticker maker but didn't make enough so the whole con I was using my sticker maker and it was just squeaking the whole time that people kept asking me what I was doing. Thankfully no one was annoyed, just curious haha

>> No.9970541

>>9970158
>Be from the US
>Be tabling at a super tiny con in France
>Spot someone in the crowd that looks like one of my regulars from a con back home
>Figure there's no way she's in a different country in a con this small of all places and it's just a lookalike
>Hour or so later
>"WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN FRANCE?"
>It was her
She apparently had family there, was visiting, and that's where we crossed paths. I had dinner with her family that night. It was fun.

>> No.9970586

>>9970541
lmao that is amazing...

>> No.9970593

I've been selling stickers for $1 ever since I started tabling two years ago, but to be honest the time it takes to handmake all of them is a lot. If I keep the same quality would it be too much to raise my price to $2? Most of my stickers are around 2x3inches so I feel like it could be justified?

I'm also kind of concerned because I sell buttons at $3 each with a bundle discount so I'm not sure if raising the price would hurt pin sales?

>> No.9970771

>>9969928
I think it's nice when people offer to do group orders, but to flat out ask for suppliers is like asking Mattel what factory they get their dolls made because I want to get dolls made too.

>> No.9970803

>>9970593
I see stickers starting around $3 a piece where I'm located, so yes, raise your damn prices. Love yourself. For your other concern, stickers and pins are two totally different products. I like the concept of stickers, but where the fuck am I gonna put a sticker? Pins I can easily remove and put back on.

>> No.9970811

>>9970204
>>9970211
I’m so glad I’m not the only one who does this. I use zaps but everytime someone asks about my acrylic charms I’m like “vograce :)” haha

>> No.9970812

>>9970292
They could just be in jail, anon.

>> No.9970844

>>9970812
You jest, but this actually happened to me. Fursuit commission, my mans disappeared without a trace. Turns out he was arrested on felony possession and wrote the world's longest apology to me after he got out.

>> No.9971022

>>9970844
Oh wow that's hilarious anon. Hope they paid for it in the end right?

>> No.9971054

>>9970844
Jesus Christ this is the shit I wanna know about

>> No.9971061

>>9970812
>>9970844

To add to this thread, I once had a guy commission me for artwork and failed to pay once it was finished. Turns out he went to federal prison for selling guns and rpgs on the silk road. In the end I was kinda glad our bank accounts never crossed paths.

>> No.9971080

>>9971061
Holy shit, THAT is bad. You win.

>>9971022
>>9971054
Yes, they did in fact pay for it! Out of respect for them, I'd rather not give too many details, but here's a short summary.

>Spring of 2015, Bob (names have been changed to protect the sorta innocent) commissions me for a fursuit of his fursona
>Require a 50%, nonrefundable deposit on all commissioned work
>Bob gladly complies
>Always send send WIPs before progressing to the next step to make sure everything looks good
>Bob has commissioned from me before with no issue
>Around late spring/early summer, Bob completely disappears
>This is not like Bob.
>Attempt to contact Bob regularly for the next YEAR because I'm legitimately worried about him at this point
>Keep everything just in case he was kidnapped by the cartel or something and the thought of his fursuit waiting for him is keeping up his will to live or something
>Early 2017, receive an email from Bob explaining everything
>Bob was selling a lot of weed because you have to afford those fancy fursuits somehow, am I right?
>Email includes an apology, paragraph about how his actions affected not just him but others around him and that he completely understands if I no longer want to commission him or have got rid of the commission, etc.

I asked if he wanted to continue with the commission because I still had everything stored away anyway, and he was. He liked his suit. I'm happy. He's happy. It was weird.

>> No.9971217

Has Holmat sent anything out yet?

>> No.9971230

Is rotating a drawing to utilise the most space in a charm template necessary? For example, for a charm that would be more vertically oriented- would I have to rotate it diagonally so it takes up more space of the square template? I've seen some guides say to do this but I don't know why?

>> No.9971233

>>9971230
If you are using a company that doesn't use strict templates (like vograce where you just say how big you want something) you don't need to do this. Companies that give you a strict template and charge by size you should do this. As for why.. well if you don't.. it will just be smaller, i don't know how else to explain that..

>> No.9971256

I wonder if yosb realizes that other con heads/artist alley jurors can see their tantrum about otakon enforcing their 50/50 rule. Surprise, if you show up and you can't spot a single original thing on your stand without careful scrutiny, you aren't gonna pass muster. I feel bad for the volunteers who had to deal with the whinging and passive aggressiveness all weekend.

>> No.9971260

>>9971217
Yeah only acceptances no rejections

>> No.9971262

>>9970236
I would love this anon.

>> No.9971276

>>9971080
So this is how furries make their money... I don't know bob but I respect him, I wish him the best

>> No.9971280

>>9971276
Drugs and furries go together like PB and J. I don't know why that is, but it is.

>> No.9971306

>>9970292
It happened to me once. It turns out my commissioner was very depressed and having a hard time coping with their life. Just wait for them to show up, but have in mind they will either want to resume the work you had with them or ask for a refund.

>> No.9971314

>>9971256
who gives a fuck about otakon other than the few east coast / MD area cons that their heads are chummy with though and who cares about them

>> No.9971368
File: 15 KB, 488x195, rotate_art.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9971230
i always rotate my art when i can, especially with the charm is just a single character.
like i would order and pay vograce for 6cm charms, and send them 6cm x 6cm files (with rotated art). then my charms would end up being 8cm tall at most.
(6cm = 2.36 inches, 8cm = 3.15 in)

though some artist prefer their charm sizes to be consistent and so they don't rotate their art.

>> No.9971376

>>9971368
^ oops, to clarify you should rotate the canvas (45°) first and then start drawing.

or draw large first and then later resize/rotate.

>> No.9971385

>>9971256
pretty sure people are complaining about the staffers (who at the end of the day are just strangers we don’t know from adam) going under the coverings to do so during off hours, basically rummaging through people’s stuff while they aren’t there. I don’t mind 50/50 rules in alleys but that’s such an uncomfortable way to go about checking, do it when people are there ffs

>> No.9971388

>>9971256
Do you have a vendetta against yosb? You keep mentioning them. What did they do to you?

>> No.9971399

>>9971256
Why do you hate fun, anon? I mean it’s a little dumb that she can’t grasp AU fanart =/= original work and are griping about that but her “con original” art posts are actually hilarious

>> No.9971400

>>9970236
This is a great idea, anon!
It would be a huge help, especially to artists new to AA.

>> No.9971402

>>9970236
inspo doc anon here! I wouldnt mind putting in this sort of thing. But only two things

How would they be displayed? Just screenshots of artists website/portfolios? With links in description ofc but the websites may change or become defunct over time

I dont often search out for this sort of thing myself so I would definitely appreciate people sending in possible inspo to the email listed if it were to become a category.

>> No.9971409

>>9971256
How does she not realize making an original outfit for a preexisting character is fanart? I can't grasp this. It baffles my brain. And the pulling at straws over the Hamilton fanart, you based it off the play not the historical figures. Shitty staff or funny art aside she seems pretty full of herself and should have just bought one of those fanart only booths if she didn't want to follow the rules.

>> No.9971443

>>9971368
I used to do this, but Vograce gives me the same quote regardless I’ve found. I think they just default to what size you want your longest length.

>> No.9971448

How has acorn press been doing lately with their orders? I have been scared to order since their big thing that happened a while ago...

>> No.9971486

>>9969305
I heard Otakon had an incident around 2011 or 2012 where AA became a lot more draconian. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

>> No.9971508

>>9971256
Idk who yosb is but I looked them up on twitter and whew boy putting a fuck trump sign on your AA table located in DC is a hot take

Why can't people just keep anime and politics separate

>> No.9971580

>>9971256
As another artist in that alley that busted my hump to get a real 50% original ratio by creating original art all month... Yea some of us are a lil' salty. I thought your table was supposed to be forfeit if you don't follow the rules, I'm surprised staff let her stay.

>> No.9971599

>>9971448
my roommate ordered 20 days ahead(their turn around time is 15days) of otakon and they said they couldnt do it in time bc of the different acrylic colors she ordered. they said they'd "try" to get it by san japan so..... lol

>> No.9971613
File: 19 KB, 318x313, B5F406EE-CD33-4847-93E1-F0C03FAF061D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Got a one star review on Etsy because the buyer said the back of the charm is “exposed” and he tested it for 7 days and it’s not “durable” and got a “hole” in charm.

How can I prevent reviews like this? I literally show pictures of both sides, I don’t call my charms “keychains” because that’s misleading, and I literally explained in my FAQ that one side just had just a laser adhesive on it. I literally gave him all this information before hand and he still bought it and complained?
Is ZAPs! The only one that makes their charms this way? Or is the seller thinking that my charms are going to be epoxy, where both sides are covered?

>> No.9971627

>>9971613
>How can I prevent reviews like this?
you can't. These types of reviews happen to us all.

>> No.9971648

>>9971599
>>9971448
Last time I ordered my charms shipped in 9 business days. I just had clear though, I think they might need more time if you're ordering a bunch of different materials.
(They mentioned something about it on their twitter?)

>> No.9971663

>>9971508
>putting a fuck trump sign on your AA table located in DC is a hot take
It’s really not a hot take, DC is a 90% liberal/lefty town in its citizens even though the politicians work there.

>> No.9971666

>>9971613
Zap doesn't really have the longevity of ink it nor the idiot proofness of epoxy so there's not much you can do on your side about it. Do you know if they thought the sticker adhesive was what got a "hole" in it or the actual ink chipped off because that can happen.

>>9971508
i don't really like yosb but you're dumb af if you think "fuck trump" is a hot take. it's a two year old colder than hell take by now and everyone at anime cons agrees so there's a low risk of losing customers. chances are she doesn't want anyone who likes or defends trumps shopping from her anyway.

>>9971580
on one hand yea sucks you wasted time on original prints that might not have sold but on the other hand.. that's definitely otakon's fault for having a rule they unevenly enforce. a Bs rule that makes no sense because since when did paying $1100 buy your way out of lawsuits? while what this yosb did was stupid and totally non sensical defense to me (even though she was apparently mislead by lacey who personally told her the rule wasn't enforced or something? I listened to her podcast thing last night), like the RULE it self is stupid already.

>> No.9971671

>>9971599
>>9971648
I'm >>9967082 and had 4 different types of specialty acrylics with a 20 business day turnaround from invoice to all of them arriving for AX, but I assumed the reason they barely made it was because I also had foreground printing for 3/4 of them.
IIRC they previously mentioned the small MOQ per design was time consuming

>> No.9971724

>>9971666

I don't even like trump I'm just saying it's tactless to do at a convention for cartoons but go off I guess

>> No.9971729

>>9971724
nah you just sound like you have something against this artist and artists having ~~~~ politics~~~~ like we're not real people. it's not tactless because only nobodies like you care. I bet she had a good time with people complimenting her sign but go off I guess :)

>> No.9971730

>>9971443
oh damn, I wish I knew this. I've been rotating this whole time... I could have just asked vograce to do everything at that max diagonal height, and made all my charms height consistent. Esp if it would not have made my quote any different..

>> No.9971741

>>9971724
Nah. I mean, cartoons or not, Trump decisions do affect my everyday life. If Trump supporters or accepters don’t want to give me their money, I’m honestly fine with that. I’ll lose some money, but on the other hand, I won’t have to deal with bullshit or them feeling like I backstabbed them when my true feelings come out. I’m more of a centrist and also don’t want to deal with antis/the extreme left by the way.

>> No.9971752

Why are tip jars on such a rise? Esp tip jars with shrine polls like which character is better or something?

>> No.9971778

>>9971752
They're fun and you can show off your favorite character at the same time. Kind of alternative to itabag when you're behind a table.

>> No.9971782

>>9971729
Nobody goes to a fucking cartoon convention to hear about politics holy shit
You’re not ~individual~ or ~standing up for what you believe in uwu~, you’re a fucking cringe baby that’s upset that big bad trump got into office.

>> No.9971809

>>9971782
Trump's tax plan and gutting healthcare affect self employed artists like many artist alley regulars. It's not performative to express that he's causing active harm to people like us and telling other people about it using whatever platform we have, especially when we can potentially reach people who might not have felt these same effects yet and make them aware of these issues. Artists are people that live in the world, not fictional characters on twitter. Grow the fuck up.

>> No.9971825

>>9971809
but "fuck trump" doesn't exactly read as "let us politely discuss the effects of the current administration on small business", it just makes you look like an edgy liberal teen and seems like a great way to get barnacles and/or lose business

>> No.9971836

Not particularly an artist alley question but I’m sure some print makers store a copy of their prints for themselves so-

Does anyone have any suggestions for storing prints? I have too many for my walls and I like to change them around every so often. Right now I just keep the ones I’m not using in a big box but I’d like to find something more protective and that takes up less space. Any fairy cheap suggestions?

>> No.9971842

>>9971825
I think it's probably more about deterring people who might feel strongly in the other direction. Personally I choose not to use his name publicly in protest because that's what he loves most, so I don't agree with that artists approach, but it's a sentiment I agree with. I don't know the artist and how they feel but I don't assume someone is childish because they are expressing their feelings in some way that I don't agree with.

>> No.9971843

>>9971836
I like making a coffee table book of them, putting them in protective sleeves and the like.

>>9971825
NAYRT but it's really not a huge deal, especially at an anime con. If that sort of sign is such a huge detractor for you then don't buy from them, but don't get so fussed up acting like it's a huge dealbreaker for everyone.

>> No.9971846

>>9971836
itoya profolio.

>> No.9971885
File: 257 KB, 1896x845, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9971402
I think a screenshot with a link would suffice. Even if the site goes offline, we can still upload pages just to show how certain sites are laid out and designed. I was thinking of it in terms of the overall look of a website (Where menus are placed, gallery layouts, contact info pages) for people to see how artist's present themselves.

>> No.9971886

>>9971825
I actually had an anti-Trump print a while back and donated all proceeds from said print to immigration groups. I actually got way more sales from having the print up since I have the buy 2 get 1 free deal and people would buy three posters instead of buying just one when they saw it.

>> No.9971909

>>9971729
Uh... okay you clearly have issues and are projecting. Have a nice one man

>> No.9972015

>>9971782
>>9971909
Actually it sounds like you have issues because you keep imagining that this artist gives a shit or anyone else gives a shit and trying to press us into giving a shit. The artist mentioned she made 5 figures at otakon so I highly doubt anyone cares what you think.

In fact, i'd wager money you're the same person that tried to stir shit about that other artist with the white people pin actually. Just trashing up these threads for your weird obsessions.

>> No.9972038

>>9971842
>I think it's probably more about deterring people who might feel strongly in the other direction.

I'm pretty strictly right-wing, and I don't give two shits if you have a Fuck Trump sign or print (I actively support the anon in here that sold that print). If I like your art, why would it matter? People have plenty of valid reasons for hating him. The most I'd understand is some anon like OP that found it unprofessional, which I don't personally care about. But if you're trying to deter and alienate a customer base, I really don't think this is the way to go about it.

>> No.9972058

>>9972038
y r u still here

>> No.9972065

>>9972038
I mean you're mad enough about it to make that post sooo

>> No.9972120

>>9972038
Oh dear god anon blog somewhere else?

>> No.9972131

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that the reason why people are defending mixing politics with nerdy conventions are doing it simply because the example brought up is about Trump. I'm not saying you can't have political opinions regardless of what they are, but I honestly don't think anime and comic conventions are the right place for it. People who can't for the live of them shut up about "fuck trump amirite" are just as insufferable as those who wear maga hats to cons. If you really feel strongly about it, there's nothing stopping you from posting about it on your social media etc, but I personally find it a huge turn off when an artist uses their space not for the theme the convention is about, but to make sure everyone who walks past sees their opinions on politics. That's just tacky.

>> No.9972132

>>9972131
Also to add, if someone is really that against or for something, making a huge deal of it in a damn AA booth at a con won't change a single thing. If it really matters that much to you, why not use your free time to support/fight against it in ways that are actually noticed and might even change the situation, rather than passive agressively virtue signaling about it in a place where no one wants to see it.

>> No.9972133

>>9971836
>>9971846
I second the portfolio suggestion.

>> No.9972166

>>9972133
thirden?

>> No.9972288

>>9972015
I literally just commented randomly about this person I don't know on an anonymous thread board and you're arm chair diagnosing my life lol

If it's your friend I offended, it's the internet it's bound to happen, get over it. But you really need to let go instead of trying to "own" me over an offhanded comment lol, I'm not even mad it's kind of funny how hard you keep going

>> No.9972294

>>9971809
Hey man, I'm as left as they get and hate Trump, but you're kidding yourself if that sign isn't the most dumb performative thing. A sign stating your views (uncontroversial ones at that) is the DEFINITION of dumb performative crap.

I would also never follow that artist on twitter because I bet they're a gross liberal who RTs #theresistance.

Anyway, I'm all for activism, but you know what would be an actually good form of activism at an artist alley table? Using a tip jar or commission money to donate to activist causes like your local DSA chapter (which hopefully doesn't suck cause boy does the DSA suck lately) or immigrant lawyer funds or something.

Advertising an uncontroversial political take at your table is peak capitalist-consumerist bullshit

>> No.9972324

God i hate this thread and everyone in it. Where can i go to actually help people?

>> No.9972327

>>9971782
>no one wants this

>>9972294
>everyone wants this so bad its actually a cash grab

Im just trying to understand what we are trying to talk shit about here

>> No.9972330

>>9972324
The discord.

>> No.9972335

>>9972324
you could crit someone's crap over on /ic/

>> No.9972388

>>9972132
>no one will notice or do anything about this thing that i'm currently talking about and wanting changed
mmm

>> No.9972396

just hide the /pol/ posts and stop replying, people, this pointless discussion isn't going to change any minds.

>>9972324
AANI or their associated discord always have lots of confused newbies, if you're looking to answer a lot of basic questions.

>> No.9972413
File: 613 KB, 1158x690, end_of_november_adopts__closed_thank_you__by_cate_adoptables-daprl0z.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has anyone here ever dwelled into the adoptables market?

>> No.9972446

>>9972413
Yeah, that's where most of my revenue comes from. I only sell my fanart merchandise at conventions. Everything online is part of my adoptables business. It's really fun and I wish more people were into it. A lot of market diversity would make for more happy customers. What sorts of questions did you have?

>> No.9972501

>>9972446
Nayrt but I'm interested in giving it a shot. Largely because character design is my favorite part of art to work on. I've been poking through toyhouse but do you have some keywords I could look more into? Or common platforms too

>> No.9972702

>>9972446
>>9972413
NAYRT either but I've been interested in /planning on entering the adoptable scene for a while! I guess my biggest question is that I've noticed plenty of really nice designs get overlooked or little attention and what your tips for maximizing your views as a newcomer to the market would be? I understand that plenty of adopt makers work extremely hard to build their audience and reputation so I'm not asking for OH WHAT CAN I DO TO SELL $300 ADOPTS and more what can I do to put my work out there more?

Also, what payment model to you prefer/recommend and why? The most common ways I see are bidding and autobuys but I know some people keep exclusively to either bidding or ABs.

Thanks in advance!

>> No.9972798

>>9972413
I was a part of it back in 2014 or so when it was starting to get big on dA and made a few thousand off it, I lost interest when it became so oversaturated that you couldn't compete if you used (your own, but still) bases, because i'm a lazy piece of shit. I've seen that it's still big but the clientele has upgraded some, I see furry adoptables regularly going for $200+ each on twitter

>> No.9972809

>>9972446
Sorry if this is stupid, but what exactly are adoptables and why do people fork out a shitload of money for a premade design?

>> No.9972814

>>9972809
Seconding this. I can’t for the life of me see the appeal of adopting an oc rather than creating one.

>> No.9972816

>>9972809
>>9972814
you underestimate how uncreative the average populace is. Think of why people just rip random anime images or use 'faceclaims' when they're roleplaying - they don't have the mental ability to create a visually interesting/unique character, but they do want the praise and attention that attractively designed characters get.

Another part of the appeal is similar to why people are into limited edition things, like collectible art vinyl toys - a sense of exclusivity in owning something created by a popular artist. (a subset of this is 'closed species' adopts where supposedly it's illegal to create one yourself, lol. like sushi dogs or whatever)

>> No.9972889

>>9972446
what fandoms do you do? and if you do fandoms, does it matter how close to the original art style the adoptable is? (since i can't vector for crap)

>> No.9972926

>>9972809
>>9972814
Same reason people don't make their own clothing or cosplay, it requires skills that they don't have.
Adoptables are also great because it is your own original character that you can do anything with, unlike commissioning fanart.

>> No.9972954

>>9972889
I don't do fandoms. These are all completely original designs, made to fit whatever universe the buyer wants them to fit, which is usually their own universe.

>>9972501
ToyHouse is where the bulk of it is. You could probably sustain a great following just from ToyHouse and Instagram alone. That's how I do things. I also have a tumblr, but I haven't updated it in months. What do you mean by keywords? I'm not quite understanding that question, sorry!

>>9972702
>What your tips for maximizing your views as a newcomer to the market would be?
What you like is not what the masses like. I agree with your statement on the numerous beautiful and underloved designs. The truth is that your actually unique and interesting design is just not going to have as high of a final bid as pastel alien with pastry theme #492. Take some time to do some research on what the most popular adopts are (trending, what's on your explore, etc.) and have your first few rounds of designs based off of that. I started out back when pastel goth was a thing, and I shit you not my first year was just selling chubby chibi pastel goth girls.

>Also, what payment model to you prefer/recommend and why?
Bidding with a stupidly high AB on the off chance that a doctor/lawyer/rocket scientist just doesn't have the time to spend bidding and is down to drop $500 right the fuck now.

>>9972809
Like other anons have said, most people aren't creative. You're probably biased as an artist yourself. Even I was like "There's NO WAY this is going to work" when I started out.

>> No.9973002

Do you guys charge more than usual or less than usual for wood charms? They're super cheap to produce but I've seen other artists mark them up higher than acrylic charms, maybe because of a customer's perceived value of them?

>> No.9973124

>>9972926
>>9972954
>>9972816
Thanks for replies. But what about the process? What stops some passerby from just claiming the design themselves without bidding or buying? When someone successfully buys an adoptable, do you send them a high res version of it?

>> No.9973133

>>9973124
Same as anything digital, whether it be art or movies or whatever. Some people pirate things, but, specifically in the art adoptable community, people tend to be honest.

>> No.9973167

>>9972954
Would you mind if I asked how sustainable adoptables are to your lifestyle? Do you work another job or is it something you've fully committed to? I understand if you wouldn't want to answer, I'm just curious!

>> No.9973374

>>9973002
I consider it a specialty material so I mark them higher

>> No.9973440

>>9973167
I actually do have a day job but I could very well sustain myself from just the adoptables. I work in STEM and once the adoptable thing loses its steam, I don't want a giant gap in my resume filled in with only muh freelance art business. That's perfectly fine if you're trying to get a job in the art industry, but I'm not.

>> No.9973463
File: 25 KB, 200x344, 03-chibi.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people with terrible art think they are gods gift to the art world.
I know it's super common, and I shouldn't be surprised, but I still am. Like, your art looks like someone in middle school just discovered what a chibi was from a how to draw manga book. Be humble. /vent

>> No.9973478

>>9973463
But if they're humble, I can't make fun of them. Bad, proud artists ARE god's gift to the art world, just not for the reasons they think.

>> No.9973495

>>9973463
Pic related? Because the one you posted would move stickers and charms if the character was demand and there wasn't a great deal of competition at that particular alley.

>> No.9973510

>>9972413
oh my, this is still a thing. I'm cringing remembering the ones I made for gaia back in the day but may try making some shit for cash tho

>> No.9973515

>>9973495
Lol. "If there was no competition." So no con bigger than like 1k attendance.
Then maybe. Might get some pitty buys then. But definitely not at any con where there's any semblance of competition.

>> No.9973523

>>9973515
Honestly, I don't think so. Someone brought up Baylee Jae a few threads ago, her art is also not terribly good and yet she sells very well/is full time. It's about marketing, choosing subject matter people want, et cetera. The person who drew that chibi, if they provided a wide range of characters or trendy things (or marketed to kids which is apparently what Baylee does) would be fine.

>> No.9973528
File: 59 KB, 382x499, 51BEPltieaL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9973523
>i'm sure that person is fine and anon is dunning krueger--
>...what the fuck

>> No.9973534
File: 293 KB, 1024x1335, hatsune_miku_by_xxevilchibixx-dafnpai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9973463
That pic is sorta hard to judge since its just a sketch. I think my pic is a much better example. She goes to artist alleys and tries to sell her prints. She genuinely thinks she is a great artist and can make a living selling art. She has spent money on a table banner and all that.
I remember my art friends in 9th grade could draw better than that, but she is 20 and has been drawing since middle school apparently. I don't get it.

>> No.9973542

>>9973534
I don't like seeing shit tier art in AA either (I feel like it reduces the perceived professionalism of the whole thing) but usually people like that will self-select themselves out when they fail to break even at con after con and get tired of failure.

>> No.9973555

>>9973534
Honestly just take it as less competition for you to deal with? no point in getting too salty, if you really think she has no hope then that's one less table for attendees to spend at. Whatever, right?

>> No.9973574

>>9973534
This art makes me nostalgic in a weird way that I might actually buy it in a moment of longing for the happier days of my youth.

>>9973523
>>9973528
I thought you guys were talking about the porn star at first, but she spells it Bailey J apparently.

>> No.9973577

>>9973574
fucking same, every goddamn time i see Baylee Jae i think "linetrap got another career?"

>> No.9973578

>>9973555
Oh I do. I don't consider it competition at all. I'm just baffled by the high and mighty attitude.

It's not a real problem for me, it's more a frustration that I needed to vent about since you can't exactly comment "it's because your art is trash" on their 10th "boo hoo poor me why was I rejected from another con?? I see who they accept and it's nothing like the holy Grail that is my art. How dare they not accept me!" post. These are at 10k plus attendance cons with hundreds of AA apps too. Like...are you that delusional? Lol

>> No.9973631

>>9972954
Thanks anon. I really liked toyhouse already so I'll just keep at it. For keywords I mean like general lingo I guess. I just found out what CS meant not only long ago

>> No.9973647

>>9973578
People with that level of ego probably don't have the diligence to apply themselves to improve their work because they see nothing wrong with it, which probably explains why her art still sucks 8 years later

>> No.9973849

I’ve seen a lot of those smallish, cute character pillows that all seem to have a sort of fuzzy fabric on them at cons. Where are artists making them???

>> No.9973863

>>9973849
Spoonflower! :)

>> No.9973893

>>9973849
>>9973863
They actually have a manufacturer in China for these, there's group orders for them that go up I AANI group orders every now and then.

I'm sure some people print the fabric on Spoonflower and hand make them, but most don't

>> No.9973940

I'm just curious about something as a newcomer to AA (I've only done a few shows). Are likes and comments on the AANI SPS a good way to gauge if my merch is decent? Every time I post, I only get 1-5 likes, while other merch, especially from well known artists on the group, get tons more attention.
On one hand, I think it's just because we're all artists and sellers, while on the other, I shouldn't be so worried because I should be more concerned with the buyers walking around AAs instead

>> No.9973961

>>9973940
No online likes are strictly related to your online presence. It is some indication of your live sales but don't rely on it. I've had some stuff that do well online that do way worse at shows and vice versa. Also Im routinely one of the most popular tables at actual shows but you wouldn't think so looking at my social media.

>> No.9973966

>>9973940
No. On social media, people 'like' posts they think look nicest, not necessarily what they'd buy. They could have just liked the way you took the picture/displayed the merch or liked that you used a character they like. There is also the issue of AANI or other social media areas not being representative of the general artist alley market.

The best place for advice on what sells is asking veteran artists, since they'll have a general idea on what does and doesn't sell. Otherwise... what sells is what sells. You just have to make stuff and see what sticks. No one makes things expecting it to be their best or worse selling item, it just happens.

>> No.9973991

>>9973940
AANI sps is kinda random in what gets popular because it's highly dependant on what the Facebook algorithm decides to do. I only get a handful of likes there when I post but I've had dozens of artists approach me in person to say they like my stuff.

>> No.9974015

>>9973940
sometimes i give people pity likes on instagram and the like. perhaps that is also happening.

>> No.9974021

>>9973849
J2G does these as well

>> No.9974133

>>9973574
>This art makes me nostalgic in a weird way that I might actually buy it in a moment of longing for the happier days of my youth.
This is so specific and yet I know exactly what you mean

>> No.9974153

>>9973528
the idea of publishing a how to draw book when you yourself can't fucking draw just boggles the mind.

>> No.9974279

Does anyone else get massively peeved when you get annoying customers who badger you about restocking an item for months on end, and when you finally restock it they basically ghost you until it's "sold out" again and then they whine about it?

>> No.9974281

>>9974279
Before anyone asks, they had months to be able to get the item they want. Even if it was a high-demand item, I try to keep some quantity stocked in my store for a certain length of time, but I can't keep it there forever.

>> No.9974349

>>9973863
>>9973893
>>9974021
Thank you so much anons!

>> No.9974548

>>9973528
>"characters, clothing, and settings"
>barely even one of those things on the cover

>> No.9974555

what is a good thing to present prints in? i have a slideshow presentation type booklet, but it is kind of ugly black plastic. should i use it and put stickers on, or are there prettier alternatives?

>>9973528
has anyone reviewed this? i'd love to know what actually went in it.

>> No.9974576

>>9974279
Yup, I get this all the time, though mine's mostly on older product that I've stopped selling because it's old and bad. I had a particular product that was available for years until I finally, FINALLY, sold out of them, and this girl rolls up and asks me if I'm making more because she reallllllly wanted one. That product was so unpopular that it took me years to get rid of them, I was literally giving them away at one point, no way am I making more. If she wanted one so badly then she had years to pick it up.

>> No.9974734

>>9974279
Yes, it boggles my mind. One of my followers asked after a specific charm three times over the course of several months, while my store was closed or when it was out of stock. They never ended up getting it.

>> No.9974820

Not going to name drop but what do you guys think about at least an hour+ podcast talking badly about con staff? I listened to it and honestly it kind of scared me because the con could easily do some backlash and punish all artists

>> No.9974827

>>9974820
I mean, by publishing a podcast like that, I’m sure the artist was already planning to burn bridges with the con anyway. I can’t see a con taking any action other than banning the people who were badmouthing them for unprofessionalism. What type of backlash are you worried about?

>> No.9974830

>>9974820
we've been talking about yosb's immature ass posts/podcast for about a thread and a half.

There have been a LOT of artists talking about various otakon issues, but by large the unattended stock checking issue and dodgy information that artists were given over the weekend. 95% of yosb's whinging is about the fact that they thought it was unreasonable that staff noticed that their stand looked like 100% fanart (which it did. Hetalia AUs and Hamilton fanart doesn't count as original art, shockingly).

>> No.9974842

>>9974820
How exactly do you think they would punish all artists?

>> No.9974848

>>9974827
>>9974842
I'm just worried because the last time someone did something at this con, the 50/50 rule was enforced to all artists even though they didn't do anything wrong. I can't imagine what other power tripping move they could make after the podcast

>> No.9974852

>>9974848
Yea but yosb didn't do anything at the con. ramy affected like a bunch of tables at the con itself, yosb is just complaining on her own. at most the would just ban her i imagine.

At this point who cares, otakon will find some way to be a hell con regardless of what anyway does anyway.

>> No.9974863

>>9974820
Her goal was to be blacklisted from the con, she said so about 500 times in the podcast.

>> No.9974868

>>9974848
Shouldn't everyone be following the 50/50 rule anyway?

>> No.9974882

>>9974868
they meant when the 50/50 rule was established. otakon was not always a 50/50 con until one artist fucked up.

the rule is still stupid af and doesn't actually address anything though.

>> No.9974887

>>9974882
What was the rule before that and how did the artist fuck up?

>> No.9974889

>>9974820
>>9974863
Just name the artist. Who is this about?

>> No.9974895

>>9974889
See >>9974830

Please recheck your reading comprehension skills.

>> No.9974904

>>9974887
there was no rule it was just a normal artist alley

an artist bought out like 8 or 12 tables or something that were no-shows / unsold at the con and had people sell all their art at the tables, it was almost all just shiny fanart stuff.

some how otakon got wind that this was bad and that someone making that much money off fanart was a liability so their lawyers said just make poeple do.. 50/50?? because that some how protects anyone?? (not, it protects no one at all it makes absolutely no fucking sense)

look it's just dumb all around but that's what happened. that's also why i think it doesn't matter what anyone does, otakon will find some dumb ass reason to make it annoying.

>> No.9974910 [DELETED] 

>>9974895
>>9974895
kys. I wasn't replying to those posts. Saying you won't ~name the artist~ or podcast just makes you sound so stupid. It's a fucking anonymous board.

So what's the stream yosb was actually on?

>> No.9974911

>>9974895
kys. I wasn't replying to that post. Saying you won't ~name the artist~ or podcast just makes you sound so stupid. It's a fucking anonymous board.

So what's the stream yosb was actually on?

>> No.9974916 [DELETED] 

>>9974911
What’s your damage? The post you asked about was replied to by the one anon linked, so yes, it’s the same one you asked about. Nobody said anything like “won’t name the artist”, in fact this is literally part of an ongoing discussion about a specific person and it’s your own fault that you didn’t look at the thread closely enough to notice instead of sperging out at anon.

Don’t know what you mean by stream but the podcast is named something like Fuck Otakon or similar and it’s linked from her twitter.

>> No.9974919

>>9974911
What’s your damage? The post you asked about was replied to by the one anon linked, so yes, it’s the same one you asked about. This is literally part of an ongoing discussion about a specific person and it’s your own fault that you didn’t look at the thread closely enough to notice instead of sperging out at anon.

Don’t know what you mean by stream but the podcast is named something like Fuck Otakon or similar and it’s linked from her twitter.

>> No.9974944

>>9974904
Almost, but not quite. The artist (Ramy and his gf amuria- Ramy does art for teeturtle now) proxy bought a ton of tables with the help of friends and family. People threw a stink, lawyers were called in but not directly because of the tablespam but because, coincidentally, copyright shit from Funimation or something. Shinydesu got caught up in that and since they couldn't find a legal reason why he couldn't just have all those tables, they made some verdict about not using copyrighted designs (like logos and shit) and for additional insurance and to cut down on fanart dominating the alley, otakon changed to 50/50

Otakon is run by a bunch of inbred fucks who think allowing scrub local artists somehow puts them above other people or conventions. They have a hate boner against a lot of West coast/Canadian artists because they tend to apply to the con in large numbers and are uppity about not being treated like shit.

>> No.9974955

If you don't have that many large prints, would it be a good idea to do a "Buy 2 for $20" deal instead of a "Buy 2 get 1 free" deal, when you normally price them $15 each?

I'm thinking that in the end, that's still $10/print for both deals. The 3 print deal does net you more money per purchase, but I'm afraid I don't have many trio's of prints that'd probably be purchased together based on fandom and all.

>> No.9974963

>>9974955
Just stick with 3 for $30, anon. You will make more money in the long run this way. People will end up using that last print slot to get gifts for their friends if they can't find a third poster they want. I've also had customers pair up and get 3 posters between the 2 of them, etc. 2 for $20 is just selling yourself short.

>> No.9974996

>>9974944
>amuria
that takes me back.

>> No.9975013

Has anyone ever had issues getting vograce to accept your files? I'm using google drive which i've used several times in the past with no issues but coco keeps telling me she can't download my files, i've changed every permission setting possible and i'm about to tear my hair out about this.

>> No.9975035

>>9974830
and merging two existing characters into a hybrid is still fan art.

>> No.9975077

>>9974944
not 100% related, but honestly having a shitload of non-local artists at cons genuinely is making aa boring to go to, and obviously a nightmare to try to get in

>> No.9975103

>>9975013
Google drive is blocked in China - usually people use proxies to bypass that shit but occasionally the Chinese government will buckle down on them. Use a different file sharing service.

>> No.9975122

>>9974944
yea i tried to keep it short because the details are kind of irrelevant to the fact that the 50/50 thing makes absolutely no fucking sense. it's like they are incapable of just admitting they didn't have a rule or make a mistake and next time they will fix it. like they should have just owned up to the mistake and said next time we will have a 1-table rule.

It's just like how this year they said AA closed at 3pm on their site and in our e-mail's but when someone said the sign says 2pm instead of saying "oh sorry that's a mistake we'll cross that out" they said "GUESS WE CLOSE AT 2pM LOL!!! (FUCK YOU ARTISTS!!!)"

>> No.9975123

>>9974955
Doesn't matter. >>9974963 has a good point about the gifts. I've had customers who just pick a random print as their third print. I got one customer into one of my favorite series over the course of a weekend that way. She asked what series a print she liked the art was from, I told her, gave her a little summary, and she came back on Sunday to show me the figure she bought of one of the main characters.

>> No.9975128

>>9975122
>It's just like how this year they said AA closed at 3pm on their site and in our e-mail's but when someone said the sign says 2pm instead of saying "oh sorry that's a mistake we'll cross that out" they said "GUESS WE CLOSE AT 2pM LOL!!!
I've had far too many conventions do this to me. How hard is it to tell the artists and the con goers the same artist alley closing time?

>> No.9975137

>>9975103
>>9975013
I've never used Google drive, I always just send my files in emails as attachments? If I have to many files for the email to handle, I label then 'part 1' and 'part 2' and just send Coco multiple. So far this has been working pretty easily, and she's not complained about it at all.

>> No.9975184

>>9975077
Completely agree. At every big con it's like you're seeing the same damn people. Seeing new artists (probably semi-local ones) is a big positive factor in an AA for me, while there should be some minimum bar of quality it's not like 'there are local people showing up which wouldn't be at a West Coast con' is a factor against Otakon.

>> No.9975185

>>9975122
Also
>"soft close" bullshit where they stop letting new people in but the artists have to stay, for an almost-empty room
what a bizarre and useless idea

>> No.9975301

>>9975185
Honestly yea, i'd be less insulted if they just straight up closed it at 2pm. Why would they effectively close it and then require people stay?

At the end of the day they should have acknowledged they got the one sign printed wrong and just crossed it out and wrote 3pm instead, but i guess their egos prevented them from doing so?

>> No.9975447

>>9975122
>>9975128
>>9975185
They did this because their departments didn't talk and all the signage had completely different times listed for artist alley closure.

The incompetence is endless.

>> No.9975455

>>9975184
I can agree with that. Unfortunately, Otakon doesn't have a minimum bar of quality so you get tons of extremely scrubby local artists mixed in with technically proficient but some-a-dozen anime artists who bothered to deal with otakon's incompetence

>> No.9975500

>>9975455
You felt there were a lot of bad artists this year? Only saw a few myself (didn’t hit the whole thing because i went to the con mainly for other reasons this time, but figured it was a representative sample.)

>> No.9975533

Can I ask how much you make per month in your online storefront and what are the main items you sell? (Posters, charms, stickers, etc.) I'm just starting out and I don't really know what is "normal" or "average" monthly income to aim for. Also, when did your sales start stabilizing and being reliable after you had started out?

>> No.9975534

6 weeks ago I ordered a sticker sheet from an artist's personal site. I put one of the stickers on my phone, and around 4 weeks later, the plastic coating started to peel off and now nearly half the sticker print is completely off too.

Should I let the artist know in case they want to change manufacturers (or method if they're doing it themselves)... Or would that just appear as me being a bitch and this kind of wear and tear rub off after a while normal?

I print my own stickers and have one on a sketchbook that I carry around, and it's still holding up after a year, so...

>> No.9975539

>>9975534
I'd absolutely want to know as an artist. I think just nicely tell her.

Also, what kind of printer do you use for your stickers?

>> No.9975548

>>9975534
>Hi (Name)! I recently purchased from stickers from you, and I noticed a bit of an issue. The sticker hasn't been on my phone case for very long, but it started to peel off and has pretty much disappeared by now. I don't intend on leaving any negative reviews nor is this message meant to ask for a refund so long after the purchase. I just wanted to let you know from one artist to another in case you weren't aware of this issue. (Include some nice comment about recent work here)

Something like that.

>> No.9975553

>>9975533
I don't think there really is an average. The sky is the limit, really. I've seen artists in the past show they make $2k a month on etsy alone. I've seen others just make a few sales a month.
I sell cosplay accessories and make around $800 a month; ~$2,000 a month during sept and oct for halloween season.
It was very slow starting for me. Just slowly making more year over year. Unless you have past experience, don't expect to be raking in thousands until you get a hang of it.

>> No.9975554
File: 88 KB, 1018x1024, IMG_20180815_065207.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

anyone have experience with making zines and knows good places to print them?im in the progress of getting it printed and theres just so many options and different prices.

>> No.9975562

>>9975554
Google a tutorial. This is really basic information.

>> No.9975570
File: 121 KB, 900x1200, IMG_20180531_212946.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9975562
I have but i was hoping for personal experiences and or possibly cheaper alternatives,ie china sourced, before i confirm anything

>> No.9975639

>>9975533
I had my etsy before I started conventions. First couple years I had almost no sales. First year I did conventions I had 1k in sales, second year 10k and this year I'm on track for $12k-$15k
My etsy sales 95% come from my own online marketing so as my fanbase grows my sales grow. There aren't really items in particular that sell better, but rather I notice my online sales come mostly from people who can't buy from me at a con, and from regulars (ie the same people over and over again )

>> No.9975710
File: 272 KB, 707x1000, FEDACEA8-0A84-48AE-A59C-7D9BA77E2225.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9975533
Numbers fluctuate for me, but it really goes by how many times I add new items to my Etsy store. Like the other anon said I do a lot of self-promotions on my social media pages. Last four months have been like this:
May: $4k
June: $2k
July: $8k
August: $6k

Just remember to keep pushing out new items. This month has been kinda slow because -I- have been kinda slow with my releases and art in general, but starting out, I would try to shoot for $1k-$2k a month.
Also like the other anon said repeat buyers are a big portion of my sales. I have some super-fans that've spent like $400-$500 on my stuff alone.

>> No.9975782

>>9975570
I always recommend local print shops if you are just starting out since you can actually go in and discuss options with them and better understand the process. Printing overseas for books, in my experience, isn't actually all that cost effective unless you're looking for special print options that printers in the west don't offer, because of the moq and shipping costs on merch that heavy, plus the language barrier makes it a lot more difficult if you really don't know what you're doing.

If this is your first zine just print it on 60lb uncoated text (if the art is black and white) or 70lb glossy text (if the art is color) with an 80lb glossy or semi-gloss cover. Cheap options and will still look fine. Wait until you know how to lay out a pdf yourself and are already thinking of paper weights when you're drawing the art before you start getting into spot gloss or any fancy shit.

>> No.9975787

>>9975534
Adding to other anons, suggesting alternative solutions would help too. If it were me, I would be initially embarrassed but grateful that another artist was looking out for me.

>> No.9975799

Do any anons have experience running multiple online stores? Either on the same site or different ones?

I was wanting to host my fandom goods off of Etsy to decrease the risk of strikes against my account, and I feel like those would sell primarily based on self-marketing anyway. Whereas I think more normie/non-fandom designs would be better on Etsy due to its traffic. Do people ever get confused, or is it pretty easy to link two storefronts in your social media for two different types of content? I plan on advertising the non-fandom stuff as well obviously, I just feel like it might be neater to separate the two, and was wondering if anyone had any issues or advice for handling multiple storefronts.

Also, do you use the same name for both/all stores, or theme the names to the content?

>> No.9975826

>>9974944
I honestly don't see why having 50% original art is a bad idea. There are a bunch of us that do majority sales in original works, regardless of Otakon rules and why. If you are having issues moving original works it's time to brainstorm a bit, look around and figure out what you can create.

The only issue I had with Otakon this year was hour announcements, that was clearly a web update/ print communications issue. I had one main staffer, dark skinned lady with cat ears check my booth out. I pointed directly in half fanart this side, original this side. She was like yup! Looks good! Then she moved on.

I really don't know how you folks get into scuffles with staff. I've never had an issue at cons. Unless folks that are having the issues start out all mad and fuming, or roll in with an attitude to start.

>>9975077
Yes feeling this. I'm hoping the over saturation will make the fad die down a bit.

>> No.9975827

>>9975077
tfw SoCal native but the huge influx of artists from other places makes it way more annoying to get into the cons here despite how many there are here and how large they are

>> No.9975839

>>9975826
It's not a "bad" idea it's just a stupid idea since their goal was to "protect" artists from legality issues. Whether you have 1 fanart print or 100 fanart prints you can still get C&D or sued for that image. That's why it's stupid and nonsensical. If they just wanted an alley that was half original art because they wanted to cultivate an original art scene at otakon, that would be a totally different story so please lets not start the whole "if you can't move originals you suck" argument all over again we JUST shit up a thread with that.

And the scuffles with staff? Literally you got lucky. I don't know what else to say to you and wish you'd show some empathy for your fellow artists. Not everyone is like yosb, people have gotten black listed in the past for having 50/50 because staff assumed their styles made their prints fanart or straight up didn't believe them when they said it's original. Or even more fun, when proven it's original they will say things like "well can you make it 60% original" or "just add a couple more original" before they will leave artists alone.

>> No.9975892

>>9975799
Yes. I have two Etsy stores. One is for my weebshit jewelry and the other is for my normie jewelry, which looks so boring but I love money.

>I feel like those would sell primarily based on self-marketing anyway
Yup. I do sometimes have fandom related jewelry in my shop but usually it's like FOTM J-fashion keywords and even that sells itself. Concentrate your marketing efforts on the other stuff.

>Whereas I think more normie/non-fandom designs would be better on Etsy due to its traffic.
You can have two Etsy stores.

>is it pretty easy to link two storefronts in your social media for two different types of content?
You can use Linktree! I have both of my stores on my Linktree for my personal Instagram account since it's public. I have two separate Instagrams for each store, too. It's pretty easy to manage multiple accounts on Instagram thankfully.

>Also, do you use the same name for both
Hell to the nah to the nah nah nah. The stores basically only exist in the same space on my personal Instagram. There is little to no crossover between the customers buying from each store. Might be different for you, though.

>> No.9976026

How anal is Nekocon about their 50/50 rule?

Also on the Nekocon note, more and more cons are banning stickers.

As someone with a lot of stand alone chibi stickers, what would make good use for them other than charms, buttons, and bookmarks?

>> No.9976032

>>9976026
You could get a sheet of cuttable magnet backing and make the stickers into magnets?

>> No.9976059

>>9976026
why ban stickers? is it a graffiti issue?

>> No.9976063

>>9976059
Yes. Sucks that this one is really more of an attendee issue than an artist one - I wish con policy was to revoke passes of attendees who do this shit, not punish artists :/

>> No.9976064

>>9976063
God that's ass. Hope this doesn't become widespread policy as stickers are big for me.

>> No.9976095

>>9976059
It’s usually because the hotel asks them too out of fears of property damage (as opposed to the cause being people actually causing damage with them)

>> No.9976098
File: 319 KB, 1242x455, F4CC546F-32C9-4F0F-AD55-CDB33F9C785A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Did anyone see this in the SacAnime group? The OP said they reported the artist. I was p surprised they kind of called it out. Was wondering about opinions?

>> No.9976131

>>9976098
I mean, artists do proxy sell at different conventions running at the same time and no one seems to mind this. Not to mention situations where a stand-in sells the artist's work but the artist themselves are not there because they have something else to take care of.

>> No.9976134

>>9976098
Aren't CRX and Sac offset by 1 day? Technically the real artist could be at both, just only for a day.

>> No.9976142

>>9976098
I personally don't mind it. Though should be more discreet about it.

I remember months ago on a sac anime fb post (or maybe it was on aani or crx), a veteran artist commented that she plans to sign up and sell at both events and like... why are you announcing that for everyone to see? And of course her comment was replied with "wait! what???!!! crx/sacanime allows proxy selling???!!! I didn't know that!"

For the record i've never had anyone proxy sell for me, but I have proxy sold for friends a few times. At this one anime con, my friend even got permission from the AA head when the contract forbids it.

>> No.9976143

>>9976134
Yup, when CRX announced their event dates, I'm pretty sure everyone had the same thought: Sacanime check-in is on Friday while CRX check-in is on Saturday...

>> No.9976177

>>9976142
Why would they be more discrete on their Instagram for? Like if I was selling at both cons, I would let people know that I would be selling at both cons (assuming that both cons allow proxying).

>> No.9976219

>>9975827
tfw have this same issue but if you complain about it people think you're salty and gatekeeping

>> No.9976237

>>9976098
Proxying doesn't matter if 1) the con allows for proxies in the AA (Animazement and a lot of comic cons do this) or 2) if the artist is in AA at one con and the proxy is in Dealer's at the other con.

If proxying in the AA is specifically against the rules and the artist doesn't put their proxy in Dealer's, I think it's 100% okay to call them out and report them to the con. I've reported people in the past.

>>9976134
A lot of cons have a rule that the artist has to be there for the entirety of the show barring some sort of an unforeseen circumstance.

>> No.9976239

>>9976177
NYART but Sacanime doesn't allow proxy selling. So if they knew they were blatantly breaking the rules, they should have been more discreet is what that anon is saying.

>> No.9976250

anyone here ever send out a survey to your customers to see the demographic of who buys your merch online? Does it seem like a useful thing to do?

>> No.9976274

So because there was a ton of payment processing errors in ALA reg a ton of people got charged 2 or 3 times, including me. Amazing work ALA.

>> No.9976279

>>9976274
This is a hilarious mess. I feel like one of the only people who got in painlessly with no errors or overcharges. Has there ever been a FCFS signup that just went smoothly?

>> No.9976295

>>9976177
If i was doing AA at both cons, i would probably post "hey guys, i'm gonna be at Sac Anime. And my friend (studio/group name) will be at CRX, you can find some my art there too." Make it sound like a group. I think CRX will be okay with that since the con is still young.

While Sac Anime community is... kinda strict. The artist has to be present. My friend asked me to sell his one print there and he made a post about it. He's not a popular artist at all. Yet someone told the AA head and they gave me a warning and the print was removed.

>> No.9976297

>>9976295
^ forgot to mention, the AA head approached me during set up, morning of day 1

>> No.9976316

>>9976098
Idk, I have enough people who approach my table specifically because they wanted to meet the artist whose work they enjoy, I would feel pretty shitty to announce my stuff would be somewhere but I wouldnt be there in person. Plus its just another reason why competition is so high. Wouldnt mind if more cons banned it.

>> No.9976324

>>9976316
This

>> No.9976401

>>9976274
Why is ALA fucking up so much, also I hope they put the AA back inside.

>> No.9976407

>>9976401
They already said they were. That's why they upped the price by $100.

>> No.9976453
File: 52 KB, 528x525, IMG_20180813_031616.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9975782
I checked locally and for the lowest option of everything it was 18-20$/book for a 32page,100copies print. I live in a very expensive country and im not sure how much cheaper i could go for thats why i thought online would be a better option. I can speak chinese semi-fluently thats why i thought i could get away with cheaping out a bit. thank you for taking the time to type this though, im going to look further into this.

>> No.9976492

>>9976453
Yikes, alright, that price is really high. I've printed 100 page full color books for less than $10 per book. Personally I've never been able to order books from China at a moq less than 500, and they usually push for 1000, which is why I wouldn't really recommend it for beginners, but maybe since you speak the language they'll be more willing to cut you a deal. I don't have any recommendations still though because I haven't printed in China for about a decade and I don't think my contacts are still valid.

>> No.9976636
File: 17 KB, 300x235, 1488360518067.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9976407
>upping the price on the tables, just because they're moving back to their original location

WOW
Cons are really out for blood these days aren't they.

>> No.9976665

>>9976636
They know people will pay it. Artists are so hungry to get into cons these days that cons can do almost anything to them and people will still show up.

>> No.9976990

>>9975892
Thanks so much for the response! It sounds like you've set yours up the way I'd like to. The only thing I'm worried about with having both the fandom merch and normie merch stores on Etsy is risking strikes on the fandom stuff that could lead to both stores getting axed-- do you just watch your keywords to avoid this?

>> No.9977264

>>9976274
> Tried to sign up for ALA's AA
> Forgot to check in on day sign up starts
> List and waitlist filled up
> Fffffffff
> Reads this
Is this normal or most likely part of the fuck up?

>> No.9977265

>>9977264
What? You mean you weren't there for when the sign up starts and you're surprised the list and waitlist are filled up? That's 100% normal for FCFS systems, especially with a con that's a decent size like ALA.

If you aren't clicking for sign ups the millisecond it goes live, you won't be getting in.

>> No.9977272

>>9977265
I remember a time when registration would last at least a month before they get filled up. That was AX. I was hoping since ALA (last year was my first) was relatively smaller that there would be a chance to squeeze in.

>> No.9977281

>>9977272
That must have been years and years ago right? Artist Alley is a saturated market in SoCal. Even smaller cons get filled up pretty quick if it's FCFS.

>> No.9977285

>>9977281
Yeah, never thought it would get this crazy.

>> No.9977370
File: 398 KB, 1936x1056, ss+(2018-08-26+at+04.30.06).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I finally have time to update the doc with artist websites. Stores and portfolios.

If you dont mind, please reply with links to websites you like

>> No.9977564
File: 803 KB, 1622x922, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9977370
https://shopiamlunasol.com/

>> No.9977568
File: 706 KB, 1671x926, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9977370
http://www.auroreblackcat.net/

>> No.9977646
File: 414 KB, 492x657, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How is this allowed?

>> No.9977735

>>9977646
It's smart that they did it first but the designs are copied & pasted right? Which is worse than tracing. But the images are kinda like icons/logos. Like how vendors sell merch with the Pokemon Go insignia tacked on. So I guess it's okay as long as they're not sold in artist alley.

I really like the MS Paint window. Will definitely make one for myself. Though what's stopping me or anyone from making and selling these exact same charms? The artist/studio can't accuse me of theft or plagiarism right?

>> No.9977747
File: 304 KB, 668x670, 1535327790235.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9977646
>>9977735
personally I prefer studio cults enamel pin version

>> No.9977749

>>9977735
>>9977747
Isn't this straight plagiarism though? I think they are really cute but they didn't draw them. Idk what the rules are with icons like this but I guess it's ok?

>> No.9977763

>>9977646
Personally it feels less worse than selling fanart of anime, where the creators produce products with which artists are directly competing. Kind of similar to people who are making charms and pins of japanese packaging. People tend to act like it's somehow worse because the artists are just copying packaging but it's not like most fanart charms are all that much more creative, and it still requires some aesthetic choices. And it's much less likely to harm the company because it's not like photoshop is going to litigate some small time artists making plastic charms of their UI elements.
Also how can you know whether the artist recreated the art before printing them? Would be a lot easier to recreate these icons and elements in vector than to try and rip the UI or screencap it at a high enough resolution.

>> No.9977775

Not sure if this is better suited for the feels thread but

>gauge interest with FB friends about making charms with my art
>get 10 or so "I'd totally buy one!"s
>get charms made, post about it
>one person of the original bunch buys
>OK.jpg

I got a few more from other sources but dang its discouraging. I did a few small AAs last year and did okay but this is kinda of a big self esteem blow.

>> No.9977791

>>9977775
Nah, this is just a thing with online sales. Commenting is easy but people often don't really mean it, unfortunately.

I wonder what would happen if you PM'ed them and said "Hey ___! Are you still interested in my ___ charms? If so I have a few saved for [friends/you]!" and put the pressure on haha.
Could be slightly awkward but maybe that'll teach them "thanks but no thanks if you're not gonna follow through," and might get you a sale or two.

>> No.9977803

>>9977735
>Like how vendors sell merch with the Pokemon Go insignia tacked on.
I don't know what you're talking about, "don't use actual logos" is one of the only cardinal rules of AA w/r/t avoiding legal issues, and a bad idea in almost every case. Unless by vendors you mean in the actual vendor hall, in which case that's probably licensed shit.

>>9977646
I'm gonna guess these are like...Chinese, so the sellers feel safely beyond the reach of copyright law. unless they're banking on Adobe or Microsoft not willing to go to the effort of a c&d...but i mean...come on, these are literal screenshots. so i bet it's from China.

>> No.9977804

>>9977763
>less worse
do u mean "better"

>> No.9977841
File: 28 KB, 570x400, il_570xN.1513695331_q5xm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9977646
This kind of thing has been a while out there with Koreans printing memo pads with word and paint interfaces just a tad edited.

>> No.9977842

>>9977804
Don't apply your personal moral code that excuses some copyright infringement but not others to benefit your own work as if it's objectively correct. If you can make acrylic keychains of mha characters then people can make keychains of fucking program UI. At least photoshop isn't also trying to sell merchandise like every anime.

>> No.9977874

>>9977775
This but also relevant to the "people who nag you to restock an item but fail to respond when you actually do restock it" post from earlier

>> No.9977934

>>9977842
Are you trying to reply to someone else? Because I was literally only pointing out that "less worse" is a longer way to say "better".

>> No.9977938

>>9977842
The thing is that fanart is transformative work and a screenshot is, well, not. It's the way an original song is an original work, a cover or remix is a transformative work, and an MP3 of the original burnt onto a CD is a direct copy.

Regardless of your feelings regarding profiting from transformative works (lots of people have varying verdicts), having different feelings on transformative work vs non-transformative work isn't hypocritical.

>> No.9978056

>>9978055
new thread