[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 396 KB, 470x402, rrrrbrown_shop_preview.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9887481 No.9887481 [Reply] [Original]

Fabric frustration edition

Where's the best place to find good border patterns, gulls? I can't find anything and I'm dying of frustration. Everything i look for looks like pic related. I hate it.

>> No.9887510

I’m 99% convinced that I have those crowns on a pair of tights.

Anyway for border prints it’s easiest to stick with Japanese fabrics, especially if you want sweet. There’s tons on Etsy.

>> No.9887552
File: 2.27 MB, 2660x1325, rrrrrrrrstrawberry_cat_print_ivory_highres.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There's some cool stuff up on Spoonflower, but it seems you'd have to comb through the designs quite carefully -- saw a lot of designs in weird colour combinations, and a few that are either oriented the other way round, or the border print is either too big or too small.

>> No.9887560

>>9887510
Not really into sweet. I was looking for classic or gothic prints. Zero luck on getting anything tasteful on spoonflower.

>> No.9887572

You could commission an artist to make a design for you and custom print fabric for yourself. It can get pricey but if you want something specific you'll probably have to suffer

>> No.9887604

Does anyone have a good tutorial for lining or facing a sleeveless dress (neck + armholes) with a side zipper? All I can find are tutorials for dresses with back zippers.

>> No.9887605

What's a good place to make prints? I'm sick of spoonflower taobao quality. How would I go about making something a bit nicer?

>> No.9887613
File: 53 KB, 613x288, 221.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9887604
Alternately, would this work with a side zipper?
>https://sewoverit.co.uk/betty-dress-sewalong-no-6-attaching-the-facing-and-assembling-the-shoulders/
Sorry if this is a really dumb question but I'm not very good at picturing things before I do them, and I'd rather not find out halfway through sewing that the method I'm using doesn't work.

>> No.9887617
File: 419 KB, 1024x1024, handmade1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Im going to dump the few dresses I have saved that are handmade

>> No.9887618
File: 87 KB, 427x640, handmade2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9887623
File: 75 KB, 610x1000, handmade3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9887625
File: 1.96 MB, 1280x885, handmade4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9887627
File: 594 KB, 768x1024, handmade5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9887664

>>9887613
Not in that order, you'll get stuck trying to turn everything right sides out. I don't think I can explain how I do it without pictures.

>> No.9887669

>>9887664
I was worried about that, thanks for warning me. I'm currently looking at this one:
>https://blithestitches.wordpress.com/tutorials-tips-and-tricks/tutorial-how-to-line-a-sleeveless-dress/
which does the side seams last, but I'm not sure how to go about cleanly inserting an invisible zipper in that situation. Maybe I should just accept that I'm in for a lot of fiddling.

>> No.9887694

>>9887510
You do - that fabric is by Teja Jamilla who makes tights.

Mossbadger has some stuff on Spoonflower though not all their prints. I swear they had their tarot print on there but I can’t find it now.

>> No.9887903

Has anyone heard anything about Otome no Sewing 13? I'm hoping 12 wasn't the last.

>> No.9887924

>>9887669
Leave the side seam open and a little of the bottom of the armhole seam. Then attach skirt etc, leaving same seam open for the zip. I would definitely interface where you're putting the invisible zip, and having the gap at the bottom of the armhole will help you get it under the machine more easily

>> No.9887941

>>9887903
Apparently it will come out on November only.

>> No.9887947

>>9887941
Where did you find that information?

>> No.9888003

>>9887941
I want this to be true.

>> No.9888009
File: 52 KB, 585x1040, ons12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9887947
>>9887941
>>9888003
Sorry, I'm stupid, it will come on mid August* You can check on the back of the last issue. Here's the pic:

>> No.9888011

>>9887947
>>9888003
Seconding. My friend was in Japan a month ago and couldn’t even find vol.12 in any of the bookstores she visited in Tokyo including the fashion district, so I’m kinda worried that OnS is slowly dying out.

>> No.9888039

>>9887617
>>9887627

I feel like handmade really shines in solids. Often the print fabric choices can be so ugly and overtake the piece but these are so cute.

>> No.9888046

Where is the best place to get lace trim? I’m seriously not impressed with the Joann’s in my town.

>> No.9888068

>>9888046
I've had good luck on aliexpress/taobao.

>> No.9888103

>>9888009
I love you anon. I never would have found that. I'll keep an eye out for it in August.

>> No.9888354

>>9888009

Dang, I never realised they put this inside the books. Thank you, anon.

>> No.9888399

>>9887552
I've heard mixed things about Spoonflower's fabric quality for the price. I'd love to hear some personal testimony here before making a purchase.

>> No.9888420

>>9888046
Try SR Harris if you've got one. There's a lot of flops in the lace section but you can occasionally strike gold.

>> No.9888438

>>9888399

It’s still pretty mixed, it depends on when and what you buy.

Check the dates and materials being reviewed. The earliest basic cotton had a high rate of crocking (ie- the print literally falling off), but later on spoonflower switched to a different cotton that didn't have this problem. Spoonflower changed several of their fabric, so the early reviews would be inaccurate.

The ink penetrates and stays on better on some fabric than others, so depending on what the reviewer ordered they might be happy or unhappy with how it turned out. There is a cast on some of the fabric as well, some of their base fabric is almost ivory and some optic white, so if you have any delicate hues they may turn out a funny dirty colour instead of a bright clean colour you'd see on your monitor.

Dark colours are another hairball. First, no print-on-demand service can print true black, it's a tech problem, not a spoonflower problem. That's why even taobao prints are also never true black. You can generally work around this -- make a dark grey coord instead or make a chiffon coord.

Second, darker colours means a lot of ink, and sometimes this will bleed. So be wary of things like delicate designs being printed on an absorbent cotton fabric, the darker ink will spread across the lines. If you stick to lighter colours you're not likely to run into these problems, which is why some reviewers are happy with their purchase and other reviewers are dissappointed that the gothic filigree thing they painstakingly designed has turned into a grey mush.

I’d say the $3 fabric sample is worth a shot to see if it’s worth your time, you can check the colours of each fabric yourself plus run them a few times through the washing machine and see if they hold up well.

>> No.9888519

Would using clipped (dotted) Swiss voile look awful for the heart apron from the otome no sewing pattern? I'm so conflicted with it

>> No.9888548

>>9888519
How thick is your fabric? The heart aprons I’ve seen tended to be made of sturdy cotton that kept its shape pretty well, whereas all Swiss dot voile/lawn I’ve seen was very lightweight and even a bit sheer. I think the dot texture could look lovely in a heart apron but you might want to reinforce your fabric first.

>> No.9888571

>>9888548
I was planning on lining it with a cotton fabric, Because the voile is sheer. My main concern was that the dots on the fabric would be too...busy-ish, if you get me? But I'm glad you think it would look lovely, I might continue making a white and pink version

>> No.9888578

>>9887481
Vintage linens. Lots of them have beautiful floral borders. Start hitting the thrift stores. Keep an eye out for stains and pilling. At the risk of showing my hobo-ness, I've come to appreciate the durability and washability of the cotton/poly blends of yore. Plus they lay nicely.

>> No.9888621

>>9888399
Generally I prefer the polyester to the cottons. I like the silky faille the best. It’s got a nice flow to it and doesn’t wrinkle much, and I got something black printed and it was close enough to true black that it looks fine with black blouses and didn’t fade or crock when I washed it.

>> No.9888958

Does anyone have any tips on using a fold over hem foot? I just got one and i'm having mixed results.

>> No.9889164
File: 9 KB, 200x252, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9888958

This kind of rolled hem foot? So long as you focus on getting the fabric fed through the foot properly, consistently, it usually works fine. What kind of trouble are you having with it?

>> No.9889167

>>9889164
Yes, that's the kind. I'm having trouble getting it to roll. I kind of pre-fold it with my hand and try to hold it as it sews but it seems to sort of un-roll as it gets closer to the foot. I'm not entirely sure what i'm doing wrong.

>> No.9889192

>>9889167

When sewing with a normal foot you’d generally focus on guiding the fabric itself and sewing a straight line, your focus might normally be about 10cm before the foot itself. With the rolled hem foot I find you really have to micro-focus on guiding the edge of the fabric right into the correct part of the foot. If you shift attention away from that small spot for even a minute the fabric likes to unroll right out of it. Maybe try going slower, I start and stop a lot more times on that foot so that I can check on the rest of the fabric, then when I’m sewing I go back to focusing only on the spot where the fabric feeds into the foot.

I don’t usually pre-roll my fabric, figured the foot would roll it in a different place anyhow. There’s a few other things you can try to make it as easy to use as possible:
- make sure your fabric is cut straight, not with wobbly bumps and dips
- curved hems are hell
- Softer fabric seems easier to roll than quilting cotton, but make sure your thread tension is set correctly to sew it before using the foot.

I hope that helps. There’s a few sewing blogs out there that cover that particular foot, maybe give them a good read if you’re still having trouble with it.

>> No.9889209

>>9888958
https://youtu.be/vpzj0Cu5zog

I learned how to do it thanks to this video. I usually find myself really pulling the fabric to the side, so that it feeds into the foot. Not sure if it's good to do it that way but that's sort of how I get it to roll it up.

It works much better on lightweight, soft fabrics. The stiffer the fabric the trickier it gets imo.

>> No.9889435

>>9888046
laces.taobao.com. It has some replica lace just so you know.

>> No.9889939

>>9887572
Honestly I would love to try this, not as a commission but just as something to try on my own (and maybe do commissions in the future? who knows). But I have questions about how large the artwork should be on the print, as I don't own any border prints. I'm guessing the height of the border area of the print should be 10-20cm. I want the width of the repeat to be something fairly standard so people don't have to fuck around with their pattern all day to avoid ending up with half a cat on their seam. Wider seems better in order to keep it from looking too samey, but it seems like anything over 30cm is almost too wide, because if your measurements took you partway through a repeat, you'd end up adding a bunch of extra material to make it line up. Not that extra width is always a bad thing in a lolita skirt, but if you change one part of the pattern too much, then that itself can cause problems.

So my question for those of you who sew border prints is, what size repeats are easiest for you to work with? I'm assuming you usually end up having to modify the pattern somewhat to make prints line up. But it seems like it would make things easier to have the repeats at multiples of 2"/5cm, such as 15, 20, or 25cm, as it would be easier to make the seam fall on the edge of the print. Also it would line up in both inches and cm - not exactly, but fairly close - so you could use both metric and imperial patterns without too much extra headache. Is this a fair assumption, or am I way off base?

>> No.9890065

>>9889192
NAYRT but that also helped me! Thanks for your patience and time.

>> No.9890242

>>9888621

I've found the black works if you surround it with other things that aren't truly black either, ie- sheer or semi-sheer materials like chiffon or mesh and the like, or something that's slightly glossy/has a sheen like tafetta or sateen.

The problem really only starts to show up if you're using opaque, light-eating type of black, for eg - solid black matte fabric that photographslike a black hole, or 200+ denier tights. That's when it becomes more obvious that spoonflower black is actually just a very dark grey.

>> No.9890259
File: 39 KB, 450x570, 290d2b5d-4055-5aeb-9d3e-e72e65dd2bcf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9889939

Gonna disagree with 30cm being too wide. I think that's actually a minimum. There's a fair handful of dresses where the print repeats exactly once, being centred on both the front and back. Chess Chocolate, Lost at Sea, Krad's Marie print, several JetJ dresses are other examples.

I think you're better off designing the dress from a macro view. Start with a simple dress cut and design what would look good on a dress as a whole. Then work out the ratios:
- A typical AP-poof dress is ~300cm wide, a btssb dress is typically close to 210~250cm wide
- A short skirt is typically 45~50cm long, a long skirt is typically ~68cm long.

So, if your drawing puts the print halfway up the dress and it repeats only once, it's a lower poof IW-style long dress, then the height of your print needs to be ~34cm tall, the width needs to be ~125cm wide.

I woudln't start by saying shit needs to be 5cm or 25cm. With that approach you basically hope like hell that when you repeat the pattern it actually forms something coherent, more likely it turns into a cluttered mess.

>> No.9890265

>>9890259

Forgot to add. If you're working with spoonflower they'll only let customers buy in discrete yards, so if you're working on a border print, it might be easier to just take 3 yards as the skirt width since customers are unable to buy 3.3 yards, and unlikely to buy 4 yards, in order to get a 3 metre border print for a skirt.

If you're working with another company, it's still a good idea to look into their technical details before you start so you know what you can and cannot do.

>> No.9890273

>>9890259
This was very helpful, thank you!

>> No.9891417

Am I the only one horrified at Dollbe's question on LSC? How can you be an intermediate seamstress and not understand how a split skirt works? I feel like I can't in good faith recommend people buy from her.

>> No.9891419

>>9891417
I'm not in there what was her question

>> No.9891431
File: 664 KB, 1080x1920, Screenshot_20180525-094331.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9891419

>> No.9891453

>>9891417
you expect someone to know everything as an intermediate? this is obviously a new design she's experimenting. this is how you learn, by asking questions and practicing. she's got a good foundation, just branching out from her usual, which is very smart.

I'd be horrified if she didn't know how to sew buttons or something. don't be so dramatic

>> No.9891457

>>9891417
>>9891431
I guess it's because what she was really asking was how to make a skirt where both parts connect at the top, not like the picture posted, where they don't connect.
Some people answered that she should cut it like a normal rectangle skirt and wait for the petti to open it up, but that's not true. That works for a skirt like the one in the picture, but for a triangle (with top parts meeting) she would have to cut it differently.

>> No.9891469

>>9891453
I won't deny being dramatic, but as I read it, she didn't understand how a petti works.

>>9891457

Maybe I didn't quite get her question, because I thought she was asking how to make pic related, with the two layers sewn on top of each other with the gap.

I still don't think she's an intermediate seamstress.

>> No.9891568

>>9891431

Sort of not really surprised. I never really thought she was all that skilled, but at least she wasn't as bad as some of the messes that end up in the ita thread.

If I remember right, the guidelines use the number of years you've been sewing to say what level you are. Given that she's got an unconventional body shape, she probably spent a good chunk of her time just learning how to draft for her own body and then figuring out fitting issues. Compared to other people who probably went straight into picking out a pattern and sewing different patterns in their first year of sewing. I guess it's a flaw of the guideline, you could spend a lot of years churning out one simple basic cut and still tag yourself as advanced, without being intentionally deceitful about it.

>> No.9891587

>>9889209
>>9889192
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm still just practicing using it but i think im getting the hang of it

>> No.9891604

>>9891568
If I went by years, I'd probably be a veteran, but I consider myself a beginner because there's so much I don't know. And yeah, she's not an ita by any means. I just don't know if she's someone I should refer lolitas to when I know there are better seamstresses out there. I could see her having to spend a lot of time making a bodice block. I don't think the plus size blocks I bought go up to her size. Which is bloody annoying.

>> No.9892077

>>9891604

I don't know, she might better at troubleshooting plus-sized fit problems than at hacking patterns. The guide could certainly use an update, maybe specify some basic skills you'd expect at which level. Even then she might still come in at intermediate level as not many beginners draft their own patterns.

She's not really someone I would refer sewing newbies to anyway. I just point them at the sewing facebook group and then let them crowd-source the advice. It's handy to have at least one plus-sized girl giving fitting advice to other plus-sized girls at least.

>>9891457

This is honestly a terrible design idea, but if anyone's actually interested I'd be happy to explain how to draft it. I haven't logged into FB in three years and cba to find my old password to check up on the convo.

>> No.9892616

>>9892077
Oh, I'm sure she had some sewing tips of you're making plus sized garments. She has a brand too. I think her dresses are around $200. I'm not sure if I should be telling people to buy from her. I've never seen one of her dresses and I know other indie brands have better seamstresses.

>> No.9892831

If I'm ordering a printed cotton from spoonflower with black in the print, which type should I choose?

>> No.9893419

>>9892831

Does it have to be cotton? The general consensus is that polyester binds to the ink a little bit better than cotton.

>> No.9893425

>>9892616

It's pretty much the same with her brand, I've never seen it recommended except as a plus-sized brand to plus-sized girls who might prefer being able to buy a dress from someone who understands what being plus-sized is all about. I guess that's her niche, seems to work for her.

>> No.9895929

>>9892831
Depends how much black. If it's not a lot of black, cotton should be okay. If it's mostly black/dark, stick with one of the polyesters instead.

>> No.9897211

I want to make bloomers. What are your favourite details for them to have? Ie I don’t know if elastcated bands are comfortable or what. Help me gulls.

>> No.9897668
File: 55 KB, 280x373, e9dbb769-770d-5bf3-8270-a9789b89c051.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9897211

In terms of design elements, I commonly see pintucks, ruffles, lace and ribbon. But if you want to be able to also wear your bloomers as shorts, it's hard to make them lolita-like and not have them come off as frilly underthings.

I also once made bloomers with pockets, the intention was to keep the pads in them so I wouldn't need to rummage through my purse for them. Unfortunately the packet of tissues I put in the in-seam ones fell out, so I won't try stashing pads in those. Patch pockets on the butt area worked much better, just make sure to make them big enough for whatever you want to stash there. I thought about adding velcro if I make them again.

The other major consideration is the material you make them from. I once had a pair from eBay that was weirdly noisy, the fabric rustled really loudly. I like to make mine from lightweight cotton or rayon, something that's comfy to wear even if I forgot to iron it. I think some girl makes them from fleece for winter.

If you don't like elasticated bands, I had a pair that fastened with ribbons through ladder lace. It was annoying having to tie them all the time though. Elasticated bands are all right if you use a comfy fabric and adjust the sizing right, unless you happen to have some sensitivity to tight things.

pic sort of vaguely related. AP makes bloomers with garters, but all reports say they're pretty much only decorative and don't really keep your socks up.

>> No.9898586

What formula do I need to create a cylinder tube? The circumference of my tube is 55.6cm, and I need to create a circle for the top of the tube. However my math skills are absolutely awful, and I've completely fluffed it up; the circle is too big for the tube.

I used the formula 55.6cm (circumference) divided by 2, which equals 27.8. I then divided 27.8 by 3.142 (pi), which gave me 8.85. I added 1cm seam allowance to that measurement, but the circle doesn't fit? What am I doing wrong? I feel so stupid!

>> No.9898678

>>9888958
Are you me? I've been trying to use one recently but even after watching a good video I need to practice a lot more. I ended up just ironing it a bit and rolling it manually under a normal foot because I was under time pressure.

>> No.9899046

>>9898586
Anon, can you put together a simple diagram to explain what you're trying to do?

>> No.9899135

Can't decide what to wear for ILD, so I guess I'm making a dress. Why do I do this to myself?

>> No.9899367
File: 38 KB, 757x528, circle-help.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9899046
Does this make sense? I'm trying to create a circle to sew into the top of the tube. I've pinned the pieces together, however I end up with excess fabric. That would cause bunching/puckering, if I were to sew the pieces together.

>> No.9899379

>>9899367
Smaller seam allowance. By adding seam allowance you increase the circumference of the circle of fabric significantly and therefore the amount of the fabric in your seam allowance, just like sewing curved seams on bodices and trying to press them flat. That's probably why you are getting the bunching. Try for 1/4"/0.5cm, also I'd suggest actually sewing around the seam line on the circular piece first so you have a guide to where you are sewing. Trim and notch the seam allowance as much as possible as well once you have sewn it.

>> No.9899515

>>9887694
They did, but they made it no longer available for print for whatever reason

>> No.9899625

>>9899379
Thank you, anon! Stitching around the top piece did the trick in the end. You're the best!

>> No.9901958

I just discovered that the white cotton I’m using is more sheer than anticipated so you can kind of see the seam allowance or selvage or whatever it’s called through the outside of the fabric at each seam. I really really really hate sewing french seams, especially since I’ll need to insert an invisible zipper. What do?

>> No.9902467
File: 6 KB, 183x275, download (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9901958

If the fabric is really sheer, wouldn't you use an underlining?

Either way, I'm dealing with a similar issue -- inserting pockets into a skirt with a lace overlay. So far as I can figure, the best bet is to serge the skirt pieces individually. Then sew up the seam (not french seam) and press the seams open to either side. The part of the seam where my pockets/your zipper needs to be should also be pressed open to either side, and then you can stitch it down along the sides of the pocket/zipper opening.

That will give you a nice, even line along all your seams. Although you'd have to figure out something else if the zipper ends in the middle of the skirt, maybe make the seams wide enough to cover it so the zipper ending isn't visible.

If you don't have a serger, there's some tailors who are willing to serge your pieces for a fee, or some makerspaces have sewing machines and sergers that you can rent. Or, if the seams looked okay with a thick french seam then I guess you can do a rolled hem instead of serging them, and then sew them up the same way.

pic sort of vaguely related, I looked a lot at how zippers were inserted into lace dresses to see how they made it look neat.

>> No.9902498

>>9901958
>>9902467
I'd trim the seam allowance down as much as possible as well - last time I sewed with lace, I did mine to the width of the serger seam which is about 1/4".

>> No.9902552

>>9902467
>>9902498
It’s not super sheer like lace, it’s a swiss dot cotton voile meant for blouses.
>serge the skirt pieces individually. Then sew up the seam (not french seam) and press the seams open to either side.
This is what I’ve been doing but I don’t like how it looks. The main problem is that my fabric is offwhite but the serger thread is more antique white - it was either that or stark white which looked even worse. After pressing the seams open you can see the serging running down on either side of the seam as two thick and slightly darker/more yellowish lines. I think I’ll try trimming down the seam allowances to the width of the serging and see how that looks. Thanks for your suggestions.

I have a regular sundress made of very similar fabric and there they serged the seam allowances together after sewing the seam and then pressed them to one side. You can clearly see all the seams from the outside but it never bothered me before. Maybe I should just get over myself lol

>> No.9902561

>>9902552
The serging them together and pressing them to one side will probably be the least bulky option overall, I think - if you don't mind it on the sundress maybe that's better?

>> No.9902794
File: 62 KB, 2048x1152, 20180604_234925.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9902498

pocket lace anon here, thank you for the tip! Yea, narrower seams would prob. look neater since I'm not installing a zipper.

>>9902552

Strangely enough, I have a btssb dress in lemon yellow that matches almost exactly everything you described (except for being yellow), so I took a photo of what they did with the seam with the zipper, thought it might interest you to know what they did with it. The shadow of the zipper is somewhat visible, but they also fully lined the dress with matching yellow fabric so it ends up being really unobtrusive.

>> No.9903952
File: 1.26 MB, 1564x1564, IMG_20180606_000534.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I decided I needed a completely black-on-black skirt and now I'm going to do something based off this otome no sewing pattern, but with a half-elastic waistband rather than full. Velveteen top layer, satin bottom layer, lace fabric for the top layer's ruffles. Bustle of all 3 fabrics. And of course none of the blacks match, but hopefully that means the skirt matches everything.

>> No.9905798

>>9889939
Study the existing lolita border prints. Why guess?

>> No.9905800

>>9903952
Which OnS is this?

>> No.9905823

>>9888578
agreed. ive found some lovely bed sheets and curtains with border prints

>>9888958
make sure youre using the right size for the type of fabric youre using. chiffon and lightweights only really work with the smallest foot. also keep your left hand pulling the fabric away from the foot to pull the roll tightly

>> No.9905985

>>9905800
The first one, it's pattern number 18. I didn't even notice the pattern until the other day when I was thinking about making a skirt in that style and happened to wonder if any of my OnS books had a pattern I could modify. As far as I can tell it's all self drafted and drafting curves like that is a pain, so it's likely going to take me several months to complete between work, study and everything else general life. I think there may be scans of this volume floating around, but I can take photos if you want.

>> No.9906496
File: 150 KB, 793x1024, 9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9905800
Ons 1, here's some scans I saved.

>> No.9906498
File: 190 KB, 791x1024, 35.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9905800
>>9906496

>> No.9906503

>>9906496
>>9906498
Incomplete though, I'm going to try and find the other pages.

>> No.9906513
File: 906 KB, 816x1123, Page88.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9906496
>>9906498
>>9906503

Found them.

>> No.9906515
File: 592 KB, 816x1123, Page89.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9906513

>> No.9906516
File: 801 KB, 816x1123, Page90.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9906515

>> No.9906517
File: 565 KB, 816x1123, Page91.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9906516
done

>> No.9906519

Gulls for Mana's sake, OnS 1-7 have been scanned, then nicely arranged to easily download by a kind anon. Just put the links in the OP, so people won't ask the same questions over and over again.
>https://mega.nz/#!9PxW1IAC!W3O1fHqCC35kMI9PDV5w21C_iPDIOZEXgGlPXcrtn-U

>> No.9906946

>>9906519
I arranged them in that mega heh. I also own 8-12 and will get around to scanning them eventually. it's just a pain.

>> No.9906999

>>9906946
Thanks anon!

>> No.9907473

>>9906946
You are a blessing.

Also,any pictures/examples on the differences between a skirt made up of a rectangle and one made up of a isosceles trapezoid?

>> No.9908045
File: 63 KB, 290x387, 2ff0758a-0638-5315-bd2a-e2d542266e08.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9907473
>isosceles trapezoid

Did you mean like an A-line skirt? Or maybe post a pattern or a rough sketch to show what you mean by triangle skirt?

you can contrast a border print skirt from any of the brands with a flared skirt from Mary Magdalene, VM, or IW.

(pic is a flared skirt. Notice there's no gathering around the waist/hips area. None of the shapes are isoceles triangles though, more like a donut sector kind of shape.)

>> No.9908305

Hey OnS anons, is there a garment pattern in particular that you would recommend to a beginner?

>> No.9908357

>>9908305

The easiest? For those who have never sewed before? Skirts and aprons. There’s easy ones up until volume 10. Volume 10 itself has two skirts, the rectangle skirt is less fussy and easier to adjust than the high-waisted one.

Dresses are harder to recommend, as it depends on both your taste, bodyshape and what you’re comfortable sewing. Half of volume 11 is a fully shirred cut that’s easy (if you’re okay to learn shirring) and you don’t need to be accurate with the measurements. Some people don’t like/don’t look good in full shirring, though.

If you’re roughly a size 8-10 and about ~155, 160cm tall, then most of the unshirred OPs will fit, they’re a good choice if you’d rather put in zippers than deal with shirring.

If you’re a lot bigger/smaller than that, then at some point you’d have to figure out how to mod the patterns to fit you. I’d avoid choosing the princess-seam dresses until you have that figured out, as they're the most body-hugging shape.

>> No.9908402

>>9907473
>isosceles trapezoid
You should never make a skirt out of a strict isosceles trapezoid shape. "Trapezoid" skirts have some curve to the waist and hem because otherwise you get weird corners...
The underskirt for >>9906513 is a trapezoid and you can see that it's a curved pattern piece. It's basically like a very slight circle skirt with some gathering, the difference will really show with directional patterns and border prints. Then you have full A-line with no gathering like >>9908045 where you can see the pattern gets cut at an angle with each piece, hence why it's not great for directional patterns/prints.

>> No.9908413

>>9908045
>>9908402
Thanks! I saw something somewhere about making a cupcake skirt with the bottom slightly longer than the waist part(so,a trapezoid). I'll stick to regular rectangles.

>> No.9910422
File: 25 KB, 600x551, slash and spread.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9908413
Yes, you can but it's a bit more like a slash-and-spread and you still have to gather unless you want to go for a partial or full circle skirt.

>> No.9912745

What's the ideal ratio for ruffles? 2:1? 3:1?

>> No.9913496

Hi gulls, French lolita here.
I'm curious to know if there's another lolita who's trying to obtain a diploma in sewing this year. I myself just had my exams for a CAP MMVF. The pattern was super difficult and I didn't expect that at all.
Would be fun to share the experience with someone with kind of the same background as me. All the other candidates in my area are old ladies trying to sew for the first time and have no idea what they're doing.

>> No.9913543
File: 139 KB, 1024x768, Ruffles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9912745
Depends what you want them to look like. The OnS volumes) tend to use 2:1; I use 2:1 or 2.5:1 unless I want the ruffles to stick out a lot, in which case I use 3:1. It also depends on how long your ruffles are - obviously the ruffle will look more "relaxed" at the bottom the longer it is.

>> No.9915392

I want to make a skirt with a large border print and obscure as little of the top of the print as possible. Would it be better to gather or pleat the fabric, or would it not make a difference?

>> No.9915394

You guuuyys I just bought a professional dress form. I am so excited I just needed to tell someone.

>> No.9915403

>>9915394
grats, anon. put it to good use.

>> No.9915745

>>9915392
Gather.

>> No.9918895
File: 460 KB, 750x652, imgrc0074652160.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Found a cow print on taobao, which I'd normally ignore, but this one has a waffle texture to it and now I can't stop thinking about it.

Internet points to anyone who can think of something decent to make with it. I want it really badly but I also think it's a spectacularly bad idea.

>> No.9918994

>>9918895
I'd do it like how meta have used leopard and camo. A-line zipper dress like punkma would be my first thought..https://lolibrary.org/items/meta-punkuma-camouflage-biker-jacket-style-jsk..

>> No.9919804
File: 27 KB, 300x400, e474d602-708b-5a8a-805c-93b97b98be0a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9918994

Dang. This is simultaneously one of the coolest things I've seen, and totally not my style. It's interesting to look at, though. Definitely takes things in a different direction than I expected.

I wonder if I can buy the fabric and dye it green to make a camouflage dress of some sort...

>> No.9920786
File: 144 KB, 1199x1200, DgRGygwVMAEAtSj.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Some stuff off Midori's insta/twitter.

>> No.9920788
File: 1.21 MB, 1080x1080, 35384944_1736130336464908_6552958713064325120_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"midorifukasawaまた来夢と撮影でした
にやにやが止まらないツーショ
からの私がまた可愛い可愛い言いながら興奮気味にカメラを向けると
そのキモさに笑ってしまう来夢愛しい

#なまいきりぼんスタジオ2
#乙女のソーイングbook
#多屋来夢"

>> No.9920789
File: 1.12 MB, 1080x1080, 35540248_1953448318006721_5096749325506052096_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9920790
File: 1.11 MB, 1080x1080, 34820274_1802443539838752_2604403846864175104_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9920792

Forgot to post the text that goes with >>9920786

"
乙女のソーイングBOOK撮影はなみっきーの新しいスタジオで

撮影後は前回から1カ月の期間をばっちり守ってイセアクリニックにジェネシスの施術受けに行きました
すぐサボりがちになるのに私えらい
お肌を引き上げながらピピピピっと照射してもらってお疲れ肌が上がりました
"

That's all. At least we know it's confirmed for publication.

>> No.9921132

Anyone know a good source for lace that's navy or Moitié blue? I've only been able to find decent lace in black and white.

>> No.9921236

>>9921132

Taobao. But I usually end up sifting through hundreds of pages because "blue" can mean anything from blue-green to sax (sky blue) to navy, and the search has to be done twice as some sellers use 蓝 and some sellers use 青 for blue lace.

If you know what specifc type of lace to search (chemical lace vs cotton lace vs venise lace) then you can use the words to narrow the search.

>> No.9921238 [DELETED] 
File: 49 KB, 480x547, IMG_20180622_222438.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

;) yes or no

>> No.9921242 [DELETED] 
File: 45 KB, 480x571, IMG_20180622_222548.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9921243

>>9921238
kys shitty troll

>> No.9921390

>>9921132
Once again going back to laces.taobao.com, they have one or two navy blue options. They do not have Moitie blue, only sax, unfortunately.

>> No.9921605

>>9920788
If this is sleep/loungewear I'm gonna cry.

I just started sewing again gulls! I'm absolutely horrible but I'm hoping I can improve lol... sage for no contribution

>> No.9921925

>>9921605

I think that particular photo might be Angelic Pretty ad for OnS -- if you look at her shoulder straps it seem to say "Ang" in cursive. Doesn't rule out a sleepwear edition, though. AP released tsuyatsuya toys this year so maybe they'll have some sleepwear-inspired fashion.

I'm in the middle of adjusting to a brand new serger. Any tips welcome. There's a DVD that shows how to thread it so at least I'm able to do that, but I can never seem to remember how to adjust tension for thicker/thinner fabric. Also, what do you do if you want to serge a cut in the fabric? (Like a slit in the fabric -- it will become a pocket later, but I'm only cutting a line at top of the fabric so the border print remains uninterrupted).

>> No.9921932

>>9921925
I have the tension settings written down on a piece of paper or use my manual. For the pocket you'll definitely need to take the knife off, but you may not wish to serge it if you're using narrow seam allowances and don't want to create more bulk around the pocket edge

>> No.9921985

>>9921932

Actually that's a good idea, I'll start writing down the tension settings everytime I use a different fabric, eventually I'll have settings for different kinds of fabric thicknesses instead of having to adjust it several times each time I change fabric.

That's a good point about the bulkiness. I'll run a test sew and see how bulky it is before deciding whether to serge it or stitch it by hand.

Thanks!

>> No.9922441

>>9921390
Yeah, I started there and quickly realised none of those laces were what I wanted for the project.

>>9921236
Thanks for the search tips! It's been a bit of a trawl, but I think I've found a couple of places now.

>> No.9922471

>>9920792
Neato. A bit disappointed that it looks like a roomwear-focused issue. I wish they would make an issue on applique, embroidery and other embellishment techniques. Like, it would be cool to have a tutorial on ruching and how to incorporate that as trim, attach it to a bodice, sleeve, etc. Is there anything you feel OnS is missing at this point?

>> No.9922476

>>9921925
What serger do you have? Search for facebook groups for your model! In particular the Brother 1034D has a SUPER dedicated facebook help group.

>> No.9922661

>>9922471

That’s not how OnS works. It’s not a 20-volume encylopedia where you collect every issue and by volume 21 you’re an expert seamstress. It’s designed more like a series of one-shots where you can pick up any issue and sew whole outfits out of that single issue. That’s why all the patterns are more or less beginner to low intermediate level, they expect someone who buys vol. 13 may never have seen the other 12 volumes at all.

As for embellishments, they already incorporate pintucks and ruffles into the designs of the dresses. They might still do ruching someday if it catches on as a trend, same as they did kimono dresses. I don’t think they think in terms of “what’s missing from our series” rather than “what would make someone pick up this issue”, which usually translates to “what do young girls want to sew to wear currently”. The exception is that clover sponsors a lot of their craft section, so if Clover comes out with a new embroidery gimmick we might see a section on that.

On the upside, this pretty much means the whole issue won’t be sleepwear focused. At most we’ll see a handful of patterns, same as we did for the seifuku issue and the diner waittress issue, and then the rest of the issue will still have blouses, skirts, dresses, headwear, bloomers, petti, craft section and so on — enough to sew a full wardrobe anyhow.

It’s to early to say say the issue is sleepwear-focused anyway, Volume 10 had a sleepwear shoot but it wasn’t actually patterns that you could sew.

>> No.9922666
File: 526 KB, 1275x1754, ots-10-015.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9922661

Dropped the image from Volume 10.

>> No.9922726

>>9921132
Honestly,unless you're doing black, you should always buy good white lace and just dye it.

>> No.9923041

>>9922476

Darnit, it's that exact model but I haven't opened facebook in years and the groups were always so difficult to follow. Thanks for letting me know though, at least now I know where to find more advanced help if I need it.

>> No.9924358

If you are the type to sell off your gently handmade items once you're done with them, how much do you charge? My stuff is sewn well and I use nice materials, but my closet is ridiculously full and I don't want to just give away these things that I spent a lot of time and money on. If it makes a difference, I'm tall and a US dress size 12, so the stuff I make would fit people that aren't catered to by brands.

>> No.9924372

>>9922726
I could, but I currently live in quite a nice rental and dyeing is a messy business at times so I was hoping to avoid that if possible.

>> No.9924885

Should I prewash my cotton lace? I'm making some bloomers for myself and I know I need to prewash the fabric, but what about the lace?

>> No.9924944

>>9922661
>Volume 10 had a sleepwear shoot but it wasn’t actually patterns that you could sew.
>>9922666
But those are patterns.
24: Organdy Négligé
25: Long Organdy Négligé
26: Satin Bloomers
27: Satin Drawers

>> No.9925022

>>9924944

Sorry, I meant actual sleepwear patterns. As in, a night gown or something.

>> No.9925036

>>9924885
Personally I like to wash and iron my cotton lace before I use it.

>> No.9925508

I've been shamed by the lolita general thread theme so I'm making a pair of bloomers (I only have 2 pairs of long ones I can only wear with specific old school coords atm). Any details etc people like to put on their handmade bloomers?

>> No.9925600

>>9925022
How are these not night gowns?

>> No.9925716

>>9925600

Turn to the pattern pages itself, anon. The "negligee" are basically house robes. They don't close, they're basically peignoirs rather than nightgowns.

>> No.9925737

>>9924885
Do you plan on putting the item you're attaching the lace to in the washer/dryer? If so, definitely prewash.

>> No.9926097
File: 52 KB, 671x480, ee_compare.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to attempt the Enchantilly OP in OnS 2, but the pattern is for the dress on the left and I want the bodice on the right. Do I just... not create the extra rows of shirring? Same for the sleeves? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I don't want to mess this up!

>> No.9926120

>>9926097
Make a mockup leaving out the shirring channels you don't want and see what it looks like. I know you had questions about the bodice and not the skirt or the overall structure, but the two dresses are quite different. Unless the model is extremely tall, the waistline on the left is higher than the right, and the skirt on the left is a gathered A-line while the one on the right is a rectangle/cupcake.

>> No.9926125

>>9926097
I'm no expert, but the sleeves appear to be attached differently.

>> No.9926159

>>9920792
Thanks, anon. I have no interest on roomwear patterns, but hopefully we'l have some nice dresses on this issue.

>> No.9926172

>>9926097
You'd be better to draft from scratch. The bodice length, sleeve shape and attachment, and the skirt cut are all completely different. That's not the same pattern.

>> No.9926329
File: 771 KB, 1275x1755, tumblr_otzi81b1mz1wwgx1io1_1280 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9926097

This pattern appears in OnS 5, if you want an alternative pattern. I'm not sure how close it is to the original EE dress.

>> No.9928038
File: 476 KB, 1275x1755, 43.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

b-bump?

>> No.9928041

>Sew pants for ouji
>All that comes in mind are sport shorts
The idea was better in my head, now I don't want to wear them. Well, now i know it doesn't work

>> No.9930813
File: 189 KB, 1280x855, tumblr_mvsn3ig1dp1r6jequo1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9928041

There's a handful of ouji patterns in OnS, if that helps? I'm not really sure what sports pants look like.

>> No.9932550

Well gulls, I have the ons selection book, 10 and 12. Also 59-63 glb. I can scan some pages are you guys interested?

>> No.9932557

>>9928041
Gathering the ends and sewing them to a band with a clasp can change that a lot

>> No.9932912
File: 75 KB, 392x500, 61bTUa4UIPL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>9932550

Can you confirm if OnS Selections is just a compilation of the same designs? Someone uploaded volumes 1-7 above >>9906519, if you don't own them to compare.

>> No.9932950

>>9932557
This might actually work, I'll do that. Thank you

>> No.9932964

>>9932912
I've been wondering about this too, I assume it doesn't contain any new patterns?

>> No.9933058

>>9932550
Could you scan the RPA JSK from 62? Also what even are the patterns in 63?

>> No.9933707
File: 336 KB, 2000x2000, 204918J9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Bumping?

>> No.9933724

>>9928038
What is the material inside the bonnet that makes it stiff?

>> No.9933754
File: 240 KB, 1275x1755, 42.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>9933724

Sorry anon, Google translate puts it as "hat bonding core" ...... here's the page, materials are in the bottom right window, maybe someone else can help translate them.

If you want to make the bonnet, I'd recommend crinoline as the inside material. Most haberdashers should have it along with interfacing.

>> No.9934090
File: 440 KB, 1275x1755, 44.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9933754
>>9928038

I guess I should post the last page of instructions.

It's from OnS 7 by the way, if anons want scans for the rest it's probably one of the books in >>9906519.

>> No.9934677

>>9933724
I can't read the Japanese but it is probably calling for buckram. If you're in the US, you can get it at Joann.

>> No.9934884

>>9888399
I agree with >>9888621 on the silky faille being the best Spoonflower option. Doesn't wrinkle badly even when smashed in a suitcase for travel, washes in a machine just fine if you make sure to actually finish off your seams, and I haven't noticed any bleeding issues even with a print that had bright red on a white background or dark prints.

>> No.9934952

Where do brands like Moitie get their hands on god tier materials?

>> No.9935150

>>9934952
Wholesalers probably

>> No.9935198

>>9934952
What type of materials are you looking for? Idk what moitie is made of but I like high quality materials. Finding stockists of nice materials in your area is going to be a challenge. These places are usually wholesalers and have minimums, the ones where I live are 10m minimum however it’s possible to buy less from them if you’re nice about asking. To find these suppliers you need to really scour the internet as they don’t tend to advertise. Also they tend to have awful websites.

>> No.9935224
File: 94 KB, 600x798, OnS sack dress.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In case anyone hasn't seen them, there are a few pictures of projects from the next OnS Midori posted on her blog but not her twitter.

>> No.9935226
File: 98 KB, 600x798, OnS steampunk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9935224

>> No.9935228
File: 121 KB, 600x800, OnS Halloween.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9935226
Last one. She writes something about there being plenty of content in the upcoming issue, if Google is translating properly for me

>> No.9935927

>>9935228
woops the sleeves are really hideous, but I'm digging the neck part. I'm getting my hopes high for new patterns on this issue instead of reused ones.

>> No.9936672

>>9935224

So hyped for August now, can't wait to see the new issue.

Thank you for posting these!

>> No.9936682

>>9935224
Who's the model on the left?

>> No.9936713
File: 2.39 MB, 1440x2560, Screenshot_20180705-150323.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9887481
There were some discussions about Daisy Kingdom on a few other threads; the bad news is that there's not a lot of their vintage fabrics left out there. They made some stellar border prints to compliment their entire pattern series (which is basically lolita for little girls).

>> No.9938991

>>9919804
uhh why not just buy camo fabric in the first place then?

>> No.9939060

>>9938991

Waffle texture. You can see it in >>9918895 if you open up the pic.

But I ended up deciding that dying it was too much work so there's that.

>> No.9939383 [DELETED] 

>>9936713
Do you think we could do an e-mail campaign to get some of these reprinted? I'd love to try some of these but don't really want to tear into vintage fabrics.

>> No.9939385

>>9936713
Do you think we could do an e-mail campaign to get some of these reprinted?

>> No.9939535

>>9936713
>>9939385
I did some digging--DK was bought by Springs Industries in the 90s. As far as I can tell, they still print fabrics, just not these prints. Couldn't hurt to get some gulls to start bugging them online about the discontinued prints.

>> No.9939564

Is there any active seamstress in the lolita fashion that I could follow to get some tips or whatever?

>> No.9940168

>>9939564

If it's sewing tips, I'd just follow normie seamstresses. Lolitas tend to go all in when they're on some sort of school break but as soon as school starts up or they get a job, they get busy and slowly update less, then stop eventually.

These ones still seem to update from this year:
https://misscarolbelle.wordpress.com/
http://kittykanzashi.blogspot.com/
https://sewaikosew.tumblr.com/
https://gotadebaunilha.blogspot.com/ (the sewing stuff is mixed in somewhere)

>> No.9941202

Would organdy work for a blouse?

>> No.9941486
File: 906 KB, 806x604, IMG_4556.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any tips for creating thin fabric tubes for lacing loops? I've been trying to follow these instructions but it's just not working for me. Even with very thin fabric, it always gets stuck in the first ~1cm and won't turn inside out.

>> No.9941501

>>9941486
I use narrow knitting needles to help turn mine....

>> No.9941508

>>9941501
I’ve tried a tiny safety pin, a regular needle, a tapestry needle and a very thin crochet hook. In each case the fabric bunches up as soon as I try to turn it and refuses to turn inside out. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I’ve been able to do it with wider (~1cm) tubes no problem, but when I try to go smaller it just doesn’t work.

>> No.9941513
File: 86 KB, 1000x727, belt-loops-7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9941486

To be honest when the belt loops get so small and tiny that I start crying with frustration I generally give up and do the belt loop method instead -- where you press the raw edges in and then topstich on the outside. I guess it's a cop-out, but it gets the job done so whatever, I guess.

>> No.9941514
File: 29 KB, 600x600, retourne-biais.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9941486
I personally use a loop turner to do this.

>> No.9942069

>>9941202

If it's really stiff you'd want to think twice about it. Who wants to be rubbing up against stiff material all day long? Make the blouse out of something else, but you can use organdy on the sleeves, yoke, ruffle trim, etc.

If the organdy is soft and you don't mind wearing it, then by all means use it.

>> No.9942090
File: 121 KB, 290x387, 7ad2bbba-05b4-51cc-976d-681603f946e5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there a different English/Western term for what Japanese brands call the "regimental stripe" pattern? Obviously that's an English term in itself but when I search for it, the majority of relevant results are Japanese. When I do find this kind of fabric pattern on North American or European webshops, it's either expensive silk meant for men's ties or outdoor awning material. Striped fabric meant for garments is usually white x another colour or pinstriped suiting fabric.

So is there a better term I can search for, or am I going to have to suck it up and order from Rakuten?

>> No.9942160

>>9942090

Pinstripes

>> No.9942830

>>9942160
those aren’t pinstripes

>> No.9942927 [DELETED] 

Would anyone be interested in nice textiles with lolita prints on them? I can't for the life of me sew so I wouldn't want to make my own brand, but I do enjoy drawing my own prints and there seems to be a market for people who want some prints that aren't spoonflower garbage. I think it might be more interesting to put the fabric out there and see what people do with it.

>> No.9942929

Would anyone be interested in nice textiles with lolita prints on them? I can't for the life of me sew so I wouldn't want to make my own brand, but I do enjoy drawing my own prints and there seems to be a market for people who want some prints that aren't spoonflower garbage.

>> No.9942960

>>9942929

What is your process, and what is your final product, though? Spoonflower isn't the gold standard, but it's pretty good for what it is, I'm curious if you can offer something that's better than both spoonflower and the scores of Japanese fabric prints that's available.

>> No.9943746
File: 38 KB, 500x281, 55d8d04b5282e704dbb8777c636a4bba.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm making a dress from quilting cotton next, it's just cotton broadcloth but has nice flowers on it. Any advice appreciated, particularly on the lining.

What really bums me out is the amount of ironing in the dress' future -- I don't mean pressing hems and seams, but it's likely to be wrinkly after every wash. Any ideas on how to minimise that? I don't relish ironing the dress each time I want to wear it.

>> No.9943759

>>9942830
They do come up when searching for pinstripe though, whether it's correct or not.

>> No.9943764

>>9943746
take it out of the dryer while it’s still a bit damp and hang dry it, that minimizes the wrinkles by a lot. I do it for my laundry.

>> No.9943790

>>9942090
I think it's actually called a shadow stripe, but the few fabric websites I've looked on are labeling things as that incorrectly.

>> No.9944098

>>9943746
>>9943764
Why not just skip the dryer altogether? It's harsh on your clothing anyway. I hang all my clothes to dry and only use my dryer for sheets and towels. Wrinkles tend to fall out especially if I straighten everything first.

>> No.9944486

>>9943764
>>9944098

I don't have a dryer, actually. The cotton still ends up wrinkled, although probably a lot less than if I'd put it in the dryer, I guess.

>> No.9947756
File: 601 KB, 480x640, picute20130416143950.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bumping. We're almost to August, wondering if anyone has news of OnS 13?

>> No.9947759

>>9947756
It will be launched on the middle of August, so there's still some weeks left until we get official notes about it.

>> No.9947818

>>9947756
I'm checking cdjapan daily now, still hasn't popped up.

>> No.9947837

>>9947759
>>9947818

Guess we've still got a bit more waiting to do then. Thanks for the update.

>> No.9947843

>>9947837
>>9947818
>>9947759
In this post from Boutique_Sha on instagram they answered someone saying it will be released late August https://www.instagram.com/p/Bibkz9XH4v9/?hl=ja

Also, on Honya club it's scheduled for August 28th https://www.honyaclub.com/shop/g/g19306730/

>> No.9947845

>>9947843
29*, sorry.

>> No.9947980

In the Lolita Youtubers thread there's a discussion on how there aren't many active handmade/sewing vlog or bloggers. Assuming people in this thread actually sew, do any of you document the process of your garments? Would you be open to posting them anywhere, even as a simple Instagram account?

>> No.9948004

>>9947980
I once tried, but since I sew really slow pace (right now I have worked on a blouse for few months) I just stopped due to no content. If I sewed more I would do it.

>> No.9948050

>>9947980
I’ve been thinking about starting a sewing blog for a long time but I really only have time to sew in the evenings in a dinky little corner of my living room, so taking decent pictures (let alone video footage) is really hard. Trying to document everything would probably cut into my actual sewing time so much that I wouldn’t get anything done.

I also have really ugly hands which I’m insecure about. People already bring it up IRL so I don’t even want to image how mean YouTube commenters would be about them.

>> No.9948331

>>9947843

That's awesomely detailed, anon. Thank you very much.

>> No.9948875

>>9947980

I'm always nervous whether I should post or not. I spent a good chunk of the last few months altering an unwanted IW dress -- owner said she'd been trying to get rid of it for ages, and I only took it on the understanding that I would give it an overhaul. I'm kind of not really willing to deal with people whining that I destroyed precious burando (that apparently no one wanted to buy even at a low price anyhow).

On the other hand, someone is talking about having altered a jsk into a skirt, and I'm now thinking, if I did have a blog that showed the process, I may get bitched about but at least people know my dresses are the real thing, just altered, and not replicas? idk.

>> No.9949199

>>9948875
It really depends how much you care about the thoughts of the internet. From the sounds of it you really do care if people bitch about you and so maybe it may not be the best thing to post. If it helps, nessaneko (one of the ex-mods of the long dead egl livejournal community) posted a step-by-step how to when she changed her IW Dollhouse JSK to a skirt, and iirc it was still a reasonably well loved and coveted dress at the time...

https://web.archive.org/web/20120121083504/http://redheadedsnippet.blogspot.com/2011/03/tuesday-tutorial-dress-to-skirt.html

>> No.9949377

What would you guys say to a boy love print? Nothing explicit of course, but with all the romance of a pretty boy holding hands with a pretty girl in all my dresses, or of course the two pretty crying girls, I thought it would be nice if I had two pretty boys.

>> No.9949388

>>9949377
I don't want any humans in my dresses

>> No.9949410

>>9949377
This >>9949388

I have one dress with silhouettes of people in the print and I don’t care if they’re two girls or two boys or a boy and a girl because they’re unobtrusive and the rest of the print is lovely, but I’m not enough of fujoshi to buy a print purely because it has “boy love” in it.

>> No.9949498

If you're not at least as good as maijuline don't even bother

>> No.9949582

>>9949410
Silhouettes on dresses look lovely and I would absolutely buy one with silhouette lolitas holding hands, kissing, etc even though I'm mostly straight. But boys? What about that would even be lolita? No thanks.

>> No.9949583

>>9949377
Yaoi isn't lolita.

>> No.9949635

>>9949199

This is a good reply, I hadn't thought I was so sensitive about what other people think I do with my own clothes.

Thanks, anon.

>> No.9950083

>>9947980
I do, and I post them online. It's just not really popular.

>> No.9950128

>>9949377
Yaoi really isn't going to fly in these parts. It's alright to read and whatnot, but putting it on your clothes is no better than those people with the shirts made of ahegao faces.

>> No.9950780

>>9949377

I'd honestly have bought it until you said it's supposed to be a boy love print.

I mean I enjoy reading it and all, but as a genre some of the storylines are pretty inane, downright nonsensical or just plain suck. It's one thing to have favorite artists that do this genre, but to present yourself as a diehard fan that reads a shitton of a genre well-known for having tacky, tasteless plotlines for the sake of throwing two pretty boys together... lol, no thanks.

>> No.9951280

Quick question about my machine. Suddenly the bobbin stopped sitting in the case right. i'm not sure why or what changed, it was literally in the middle of sewing when it happened. All i get are big knots or huge loops of fabric because the thread seems to be stuck on something, There's a repair shop nearby but they charge $60 just to look at the machine so if there's something I can do to fix it I'd like to try first.

>> No.9951388

>>9951280

I'll mention I own a Singer Featherweight (a lot of plastic insides and built differently from older metal machines).

You can try re-threading the machine (both top and bobbin threads) completely from scratch to make sure it's threaded right (bobbin facing counter-clockwise vs clockwise is particularly important for the plastic ones), and see if the problem goes away. Sometimes something gets caught on something you didn't see and the machinery bits are pulled out of alignment enough that they no longer work. The plastic machines are kind of particularly susceptible to this, I think, but at least it's easy enough to fix.

The other thing that happened to me last week, the top thread had gotten caught on its own spool hard enough that not only did it pull the bobbin out of alignment, the entire bobbin case had popped out and couldn't work properly. I unscrewed the metal plate that goes over the bobbin area, opened it up and removed the bobbin case. Then popped it back in the correct place, where it can bob properly. Then screwed everything back up, rethreaded the machine and was good to go. Again, only for plastic machines, the older metal ones have different insides.

And will also mention that time when I didn't sew for a couple of years, when I dusted off my machine it just couldn't sew properly, not matter how many times I rethreaded or checked the bobbin case. Some of the parts deep inside had lost their tension or something and it just really needed to go to the service center to have everything tightened up.

Hopefully these help you out.

>> No.9951688

>>9951280
If you haven't done it in a while it's probably worth oiling the machine and swapping the needle for a new one. I've definitely had tension issues that ended up being caused by a damaged/dull needle.

>> No.9951720
File: 135 KB, 672x517, this.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I got this idea of applique rose/flower and use some old fabrics to it (I need to reduce my fabric "collection"). Colours would be either black x washed out purple or black x navy. Now I have tested it out and I don't know should I go on as it doesn't look as good as I imagined, but it could look different if it was the whole flower. What do you think? Should I just do it anyway?

>> No.9951763

>>9951720
Don't do it if it's not exactly what you want. It's the same as buying a dress because it's close enough. You'll just be dissapointed in the end. Make something else if you're trying to cut down on your fabric collection.

>> No.9951941

Which issues of Otome no Sewing have cutsew patterns in them? I'm open to other patterns for knit fabrics as well.

>> No.9952019

>>9951941
I think:
OnS 1: short & long sleeve bolero
OnS 2: long sleeve bolero
OnS 3: short, long & princess sleeve bolero, short sleeve peter pan collar top
OnS 4: standing collar long sleeve top
OnS 5: cutsew sailor style dress
OnS 7: short sleeve bolero's, sailor style short sleeve top, peplum short sleeve shirred top/blouse (2 versions, 2nd is a sleepwear set with matching ruffle butt drawers)
OnS 9: short sleeve peter pan collar dress, long sleeve standing collar dress, long sleeve standing collar top, short sleeve top, short sleeve bolero
OnS 10: long sleeve bolero
OnS 11: half sleeve standing collar top(s), peplum top

I recommend you visit miss Carol Belle's blog and look at the scans she uploaded.

>> No.9952046

>>9952019
Thanks, this was very helpful!

>> No.9952460

Hi gulls! I just got a serger for my birthday and I'm dying to test it out. Anybody have any recommendations for a good project to learn the ropes with?

>> No.9952467

>>9952460
PIllowcase

>> No.9952481

>>9952460
If you're going for Lolita Fashion, I'd suggest a simple elastic band skirt. If not, go for a tank or something simpler. A pillowcase would be nice if you know absolutely nothing about sewing.

>> No.9952564

>>9952460
Bloomers

>> No.9952855

>>9952481
I'm thinking of making myself a comfy cutsew op for casual wear.

>> No.9953101
File: 666 KB, 1280x1707, country dress.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Country dress I've been chipping away at to see if I could but damn...I hate it! I can't quite tell why? Is it the fabric or the colors? Does it need more detail? Does it need more structure? I can't tell what's so...awful about it.

>> No.9953106

>>9953101

What does it look like without the apron, if it's removeable?

The print is very loud, but the design is a bit odd as well. Plus you need to press your seams, and if you can't sew a perfectly straight line maintaining exact distance from the edge, don't use contrasting thread for topstitching the collar, it's kind of obvious from here.

>> No.9953212

>>9953101
You need more detail on the cuffs, and possibly the collar. Even just some (nice) lace in the same colour would add some texture and sophistication, atm they're pretty basic and clumsy. I like the print, though.

>> No.9953214

>>9952855
If you've never used a serger before then be careful starting with stretch fabric, if you stretch it out it will look awful. It's not too hard, just go slowly!

>> No.9953261

>>9953101
the print is a bit small for all the colours in it. hell, it looks like a pale brown in the thumbnail

>> No.9953262

>>9952460
servers are great for gathering large pieces of fabric like skirts

>> No.9953302

>>9953262
I could never figure out how to gather on my serger. a bit sad, really.

>> No.9953336

>>9953262
I love/hate machine gathering, it never looks as nice as the double-thread hand-gathered stuff but it's SO much faster.

>>9953101
It's you, not the fabric. The design is weird, your stitching is wonky and the collar and cuffs look like you've never heard of interfacing.

>> No.9953661

How would I go about covering a headband with fabric? I know I need to cut the fabric on the bias but I'm stuck on how to make the ends look nice.

>> No.9953750
File: 67 KB, 700x700, w-39247-03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9953661
You could either turn them inward or fold them like this, finishing with a hand stitch.

>> No.9953850
File: 69 KB, 500x600, ging.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9953106
Sadly it's pretty basic. Gathered skirt with a ruffled hem at the bottom. (Thought about adding lace accenting the seem?)I've never sewn a lolita dress. I've only done cosplay/ alterations to bought things so. I am floundering a bit. Press seams, get white thread for collar. Will do! Very helpful, thank you!

>>9953212
Detail like a ribbon? Red would be okay to bring out the cherries on the print? What about the lace on the apron?Thank you for the tips!

>>9953261
I feel like small gingham does look like that though? Like even brand black gingham looks grey from far away. (pic?)I do get what you're saying though. That's a good thing to keep in mind for future! Thank you.

>>9953336
I think that's rather obvious hence why I was hoping for help. Luckily there are some nice and skilled people willing to help me!
What makes the design weird exactly though? (I went based off a pattern and changed some things like adding long sleeves and an apron)
Interfacing! That would help a lot. I forgot about that.

It's a work in progress so i'll definitely change those things you guys mentioned! I deeply appreciate the help!

>> No.9953863

>>9953850
Getting rid of the sleeves and apron, and redoing the collar with interfacing would be a good start. It looks like at the moment you were doing a muslin test of a sailor maid dress mashup but only had the fabric you meant for a country dress around so just used that. Adding long sleeves and an apron was a mistake, I think the original pattern would probably have been cute as is although you really need to learn to sew in a straight line.

>> No.9953898
File: 172 KB, 680x760, ff460-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9953850

You might want to start working on the dress and the apron seperately. They both have their issues.

For the dress, here's a couple of examples from Favorite One with gingham and sailor collars mashed together. Lace in the seams of the dress seems like a good idea, also adding a line of lace at the bottom of the skirt, and maybe some ruffles.

For the cuff decorations, a smaller line of lace where the cuff meets the sleeves, and a few cute buttons is the usual treatment.

>> No.9953906
File: 175 KB, 680x760, ff227-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9953898

The problem is exactly what you described -- you started with a dress and then apparently chucked random things at it for no reason. Lolita has like ten or twenty themes, some of which clash with each other. You gotta put a little more thought into what's supposed to be on a lolita dress, don't just throw bows, ribbons, apron, sailor collar, kitchen sinks and other things at it without thinking it through, otherwise it looks like a confused mashup.

So far as problems go, other anons are right as well -- your sewing seems sloppy as heck. Slow down and pay attention. What's with all the sewing lines being crooked, does your machine need servicing? Don't skip pressing hems and seams, it shows. Interface the collar.

If you really need help with this, maybe get a good sewing book like Reader's Digest and go through it step by step.

Don't skip steps. Lolita is where your homemade dress will go to a teaparty next to a $300 burando factory-made perfection. You want to look as perfect as possibly and not like the strange country bumpkin cousin.

>> No.9953909
File: 189 KB, 878x620, 150519_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9953906

For the waistband, having the lace make a large square on your body looks rather odd. Break it up, remove the lace from the top of the waist band, and have the lace go under the waist band instead.

>> No.9953935

>>9903952
Changed tack because I found an amazing cheap black bustle underskirt (after I'd cut the inner skirt out but before I'd started ruffling); I'm going to use the OnS pattern to make a high-low corset skirt/overskirt to go with it.

>> No.9954148

Sorry if it's not the good thread but since peoples sometime sew ouji/historical costume there my question is maybe appropriate.

How do you do the cut of a pant made of non strech fabric? Do you lower the fork ? Every time I wore one it rip, and I'm always wondering how dancer in the 40 s could do splits in suits without wardrobe malfunction

>> No.9954149

>>9936713
Morbid but I've heard to check obituaries for estate sales because a lot of old ladies have boxes full of fabric and my grandma told me she finds all sorts of Daisy Kingdom fabric and patterns

>> No.9954203

>>9954148
The ones that ripped were made by you or were them bought? Maybe the problem is in the quality of the seams, not the fabric. If you're the one sewing, make double sewing and try to get your measurements perfectly for it to sit on your body without getting too loose.

>> No.9954205

>>9954203
double seams, sorry *

>> No.9954604

>>9952855
I use the differential feed on my serger with stretch fabrics and it works really well. Play around with some scraps first.

>> No.9955388
File: 1.69 MB, 500x281, notkawaii.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9953101
>throwing up
please no.

>> No.9955540

>>9953101
This dress doesn’t look like it’ll be the right shape at all. Skirt looks way too narrow. That shape apron will look bizarre on a real lolita skirt anyway.

>> No.9956377
File: 81 KB, 700x525, 16dc3b77719d3ebe7c55b2ab154cc654.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9953101

I have to ask. Does the shirring still work? I thought in order for it to still be able to stretch you had to sew the elastic on with a zig-zag stitch? Here I just see a quick-n-dirty straight stitch, unless I'm missing something?

>> No.9956411

>>9954203
Now that I think about it, it was the store bought one who ripped ( I only had problems like belt straps ripping fromt the waist part with handmade pants ) I didn't thinked about a double seem at the crotch, Thank you for your advices !

>> No.9956561

>>9956377
If you keep the elastic stretched over the fabric while you sew it you can use a straight stitch. Zigzag looks terrible imo. Channel shirring master race

>> No.9956569

Wanting to do some of my own prints, but I don’t want to use spoonflower because customs would tear me to shreads. Any advice on EU/UK fabric printers that aren’t shit or £40pm?

>> No.9956570

>>9956561

Thanks for clearing that up.

I usually do channel shirring and fully lined dress, only saw instructions in OnS for zigzagging over elastic. Interesting to know that it can work this way too.

>> No.9956573

>>9956570
All of my old school front shirred Baby dresses have the straight stitched shirring and no lining in the bodice. I don’t really like it to be honest but yeah it’s a thing.

>> No.9958702

>>9956573

Oh my god, I just checked some Baby dresses and they are indeed sewn with straight stitch. How have I not seen this before?

>> No.9958709

>>9949498
She isn't even that good

>> No.9959494
File: 8 KB, 248x203, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9958709

I think that's the point.

Like have you seen how weirdly retarded some yaoi fanart can get?

>> No.9960853

Is there a comprehensive list of Japanese fabric stores somewhere?

>> No.9961694

>>9960853
Do you mean to go shopping in person (e.g. you're going to Tokyo) or online?

>> No.9966336

Preorder for OnS13 is up on Amazon.jp! https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4834746720/ref=s9u_qpp_gw_i3?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=4834746720&pd_rd_r=07635561-9d13-11e8-a851-85c26863dbac&pd_rd_w=z1wfM&pd_rd_wg=FJwbi&pf_rd_m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=DB3PTD3BFGDDE3HBXKS2&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=dff3a064-25c3-4852-b129-5b5dfe6d5600&pf_rd_i=desktop

>>9960853
I'd be interested in this, I'm going to Japan in a few weeks and plan on fabric/lace shopping.

>> No.9966364

>>9966336
I can't wait to see more preview photos of what's inside.

>> No.9966442

>>9961694
I was looking for online sources.

>> No.9966503

>>9960853
On ONS you can find some store suggestions to buy fabric (in person, I mean).

>> No.9966527

>>9966336

Thank you anon, gonna preorder it tonight.

As for fabric shopping, I'll recommend Nippori fabric town. Only wish I had enough time to look through more shops.

>> No.9967144

>>9942090
In England it's called Boating stripe. If you google boating stripe/ boating blazer fabric you get lots of hits.

>> No.9968495
File: 3.76 MB, 2988x2902, IMG_20180814_000903.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I originally was going to use a couple of these to make an overlay gothic style dresses for an ex of mine but we broke up a while ago. I just haven't found any use for these fabrics and I thought you gulls might have an idea?
>Black: good quality, soft, silky, and mildly strechy. Border style with designs woven on the lace
>Red/blue: unravels easily, soft and silky, polyester,
>pink: scratchy on bareskin, cheapish polyester/nylon. Border style

Masculine ideas would be great not the most masculine of dudes but I don't wear dresses or skirts, or even home style Lolita goods but I'm a complete loss of how to use these since I'm not going to make them for the original purpose.
>Taken with flash it's not that shiny

>> No.9968695

>>9968495

Essentially, a bunch of lace fabric and you don't wear dresses at all? You can probably make veils, capes, half skirts and so on with them that you can wear with ouji, VK or whatever fancy style your into.

To be really honest if you don't fancy wearing them, you might as well turn them into table runners/table cloth, wrap a cushion with it, hang it on the wall, or try to sell them on some sewing facebook groups instead. No point making something you won't actually wear.

>> No.9968721

>>9932964
have OnS selections and can confirm, it repeats pre-existing patterns from vol 1-7.

>> No.9968839
File: 50 KB, 392x499, 51azYhtKYRL._SX390_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Cover is here.
Ugh, I really dislike this dress.

>> No.9968857

>>9968839
Same. I want to like it because I like the old school Baby dresses it’s obviously inspired by, but the low tubelike bodice is something that (new) lolita seamstresses already get wrong as it is. Can you imagine someone with a big bust but little understanding of altering patterns making this wider to “fit” and ending up with something that barely covers half her bust?

>> No.9969495

>>9968695
True. Thanks anon I didn't think of half skirts or veils I'll see if I like any designs if not I'll look into home goods/possible reselling

>> No.9969526
File: 610 KB, 2000x2553, 91mRQj2afbL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9968839
Larger version, with google translated bits
Let's Lolita Sewing 1: Puff-Sleeve OP with Heart Pockets
Let's Lolita Sewing 2: Lace-Up(?) Tiered JSK and Ribbon Headdress

>> No.9969637

>>9968857
The fit is weird to start with. Look how much higher the waist is at the CF than at the sides.

>> No.9969667

>>9969637
Yeah, because it’s being pulled up by the shoulder straps. It’s a tube.

>> No.9969707

>>9969526

The little blurb on the side though

>110cm 120cm 130cm size
>小さなレディのための服

Clothes for a small lady. Are they including kids sewing patterns?

Also strangely enough I was trying to decide on a design to make out of some blue-green tartan fabric off Popohouse. Probably won't be making this....

Although my two cents on it is that the dress probably fits okay -- Midori is tiiinyyy and has looked weird in almost every OnS dress. Might be anotther one where she just weird again. Or might be one where there's something wrong with the dress, idk...

>> No.9969742

>>9969526
Thanks for the high quality, anon!

>> No.9969764
File: 2.25 MB, 2000x2553, ons_translation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9969526
Thanks for posting, anon! Managed to translate it.

Had problem with the expression "正統派ロリータ". It translates to "orthodox lolita" (??) I believe it may be olschool OR Casual. But I actually have no clue of it's real meaning.

>>9969707
>Clothes for a small lady. Are they including kids sewing patterns?
I believe so. Or maybe very small ladies. hahahaha

>> No.9969938

>>9969764
That's awesome! Thank you!
Now I wonder if there will be new patterns for Qi lolita. The last ones weren't that good.

>> No.9970592

>>9969764

Thank you for the translation! I couldn't read most of the kanji except the one about kids clothes.

Really interested to see what Star Money and the Musicians of Bremen is all about now.

>> No.9970606

>>9969764
Orthodox lolita is my new aesthetic

>> No.9971708

I have a tea length skirt that I want to hem to be a bit shorter, about 4 inches. Is there a way to do that without cutting the fabric and without any stitching showing? Has anyone had any experience with temporary hem tape strips?

>> No.9971709

>>9971708
Roll the hem, invisible hand stich, done

>> No.9971896

>>9969667
Given how the previous OnS patterns have fit when people made them without alterations I'm unsurprised...

>> No.9973627

>>9969764

More Qi Lolita? Is it trending in Japan at the moment or something? I thought the current trend is sleepwear kei.

>> No.9973659

>>9973627
it's trending in the Chinese lolita market yes. Some Japanese brands are incorporating into more into their designs now too.

>> No.9973835

>>9973627
>Is it trending in Japan at the moment or something?
Angelic Pretty just launched a blouse with Qi Elements. The kanji I translated for this cover was more like "Hanfu lolita" (can't remember by heart now) than literally "Qi", but it's making reference to the Chinese Style.

>> No.9974558

>>9973659
>>9973835

I thought it was too soon to get another mandarin collar design unless it was super trendy, but I just checked and realised that OnS 12 only had one high-collar bolero with a wa-lolita design, the last qilolita design was in OnS 10 2 years ago. I guess it doesn't seem so unusual to see a qilolita design now, I thought it was much sooner since we last had one.

Though I'm hoping you're right about "hanfu" lolita, because that's a totally different traditional costume and may mean totally different cuts.

>> No.9977239

I'm planning on making a coffin bag. The outside is wood and I plan on lining hte inside in velvet. It's about two feet long and about five inches deep.

Should I put the handles on the sides or on the top? Alternatively, would a backpack strap set-up work better? Should I paint it or would a stain work better?

>> No.9977250
File: 164 KB, 800x1064, coffincase2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9977239

Forget the backpack strap outright, if you aren't padding the back then carrying a heavy wooden object on your back is minor torture for the person carrying it.

I'd say a rolling suitcase is the best way to move it around, pic related. but if you're stuck with just handles, then both on top and on the sides of the case; side of the case is usually better balanced and easier to carry, top of the case is for narrow places so you can carry it vertically and take up less space.

I like stains a lot more, what's the point of making it out of wood unless you can look at the woodgrain. But opaque paint may get your closer to black and be easier to coord. I guess go with whichever suits your wardrobe.

>> No.9977253
File: 81 KB, 800x800, Picture1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9977239
How will the closures work? I personally prefer the aesthetic of handle on the top + longer strap, or if you wanted to wear it as a backpack the two-way straps would be better than only allowing it to be worn as a backpack.
Without photos of the wood it's hard to say whether paint is better than stain, but assuming you're using something fairly cheap like ply I would think painting will look nicer overall (unless you go for something with a beautiful grain which can be showcased with a stain)

>> No.9977650
File: 1.16 MB, 1080x1080, 30991699_2099435853678725_5513900278987882496_n (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone got a clue which pattern they used for this jsk? Tried looking at issue scans but came up empty-handed.
It says it was made using a pattern from ots but it doesn't say what pattern or issue they used.

>> No.9977652
File: 1.15 MB, 1080x1079, 31236232_188780465092358_6952779318887972864_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9977650
This is the back, looks fully shirred?

>> No.9977684
File: 73 KB, 400x400, file_c097595b63_400w.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9977650
Probably ONs 7, 6 or 2, anon. To add the full shirring you just have to make a solo piece on the back, but a bit larger.

ONs2 has a pattern for full shirred (on the back) JSK with straps.

This skirt wasn't made following anything on ONs.

>> No.9978348

>>9977684
Thanks anon.
I was really puzzled cause I couldn't find it in any of my ons scans, even started checking my physical copies lol (all of them!) and thought I was going nuts.
You are probably right, this person must have frankensteined it using several patterns or something.

>> No.9978783
File: 352 KB, 1280x1280, IMG_20180828_091725.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Previews are up!

>> No.9978784
File: 254 KB, 1280x1280, IMG_20180828_091727.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9978783
But looks like we might need a new thread soon.

>> No.9978785
File: 357 KB, 1280x1280, IMG_20180828_091730.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9978784

>> No.9978855

>>9978785

This looks so cute, it took me awhile to realise this is the steampunk that they promised on the cover.

>> No.9978956

>>9978783
Thanks anon! The nurse / nun set looks really nice. I already want to try this collar!

The other two seem like the tartan yellow dress recicled from old volumes (6, I think. It had a boystyle paired with it).

>> No.9979928
File: 2.47 MB, 2160x3840, DSC_0006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9977250
>>9977253
Posting WIP pictures for those who are interested. Not sure if I want to add anything else on the outside, but I'm definitely going to add some varnish or something protective to the outside of the purse. As it is a light scratch means I'm redoing the paint-job.

>> No.9979929
File: 1.84 MB, 3840x2160, DSC_0003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9979928
This picture somehow came out even worse than i thought it would. Gonna post the other picture anyway, might as well.

>> No.9981082

>>9979928
It looks good, lose the skull though unless you’re going for cutesy

>> No.9983140
File: 61 KB, 604x604, 10391935_206576997268_3726650_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sweet Rococo fabrics on etsy is having a 50% sale right now, got myself the butterfly chandeliers in blue and musical note cats in black

>> No.9985778
File: 941 KB, 2448x2720, IMG_20180905_162810278.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can someone help me understand the frill part, and the lace part? This is from otome no sewing 7, for the bloomers.

>> No.9985806

>>9985778
What's confusing anon? It says gather in the frill section and sew the lace bottom side seam, then surge / zigzag stitch the edge.

>> No.9986170

>>9985806
Thank you, I am confused from the frill section, like what the wavy lines mean, and for the lace, I cut out one piece, but it looks like i gather 2 pieces for each hem of the legs. Is that right?

>> No.9986333

>>9986170
nayrt, but could you please point in the image where's your doubt? From what I can see, the wavy line marks the hem of the lace ( ?)

>> No.9986843

>>9986170
You’ll need two lengths of lace to gather, one for each leg.

The wavy line in the middle of the frill indicates that the picture is “shortened” (idk a better word, ESL) and the actual pattern piece is 104/108/114cm wide and not a short rectangle, but they’re only showing you the ends because those are most relevant and the picture would take up tons of space otherwise.

Does that help?

>> No.9987006

>>9986333
This anon>>9986843 cleared it up for me
Thank you both, I think i was just confused cause my lace is already gathered, and the pattern seems to have ungathered lace.

>> No.9989411 [DELETED] 

>>9888011
What's OnS?

>> No.9991984

>>9953101
to me the biggest offense is the little bow at the top. It's exactly the right size and shape and placement to awkwardly scream male bow-tie, not at all like a bow that would suit the dress, but then the fabric is a bright cherry crafty print, so it seems almost....flippant.

flippant little goddamn bow