[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 5 KB, 331x338, 1512696862494.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9886110 No.9886110 [Reply] [Original]

desucon is soon coming in Norway Lillestrom and i want to cosplay. the problem is i have never cosplayed before and i have never been on a anime convention.

im a male. umm im still unsure who to cosplay as. i was thinking cosplaying as Miku because i love her. but that would be kind of gay.

what to do?

>> No.9886120
File: 318 KB, 407x654, 1525018396132.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9886110
help please
i want to meet others like me

>> No.9886133

Ask this in the stupid questions thread it exists for a reason
Not saying your question isn't completely stupid but you should look in the catalog before taking up a thread on a slow board

>> No.9886134

>>9886133
oh. ok

>> No.9886173

Wow cool someone from Norway.
If you are brave you can cosplay as her. You'll probably not experience violence, worst case you overhear someone saying you are a disgusting creep but never heard that about myself so that's not guaranteed either.

What do you plan to do at Desucon? You'll probably have a great time if it's your first con but if you don't, keep in mind that Norway have better cons than Desucon so don't give up on cons entirely even if it disappoints.

I think Miku is a good idea, it's a popular character and unless you are a fat autist you may end up becoming popular.

Desucon is the biggest con in Norway so many fandoms have meetups there. If there's something you are into, see if they have a meetup so you can meet other people who like the same things as you.

>> No.9886187

>>9886173
>keep in mind that Norway have better cons than Desucon so don't give up on cons entirely even if it disappoints
They do? Not OP, but another Norwegian that hasn't followed the local con scene in years. What cons are worth following, and are Artist Alleys much of a thing?

>> No.9886197

>>9886187
It depends a bit on what you want, no other cons are bigger than Desucon, and as a result you get some experiences there that you can't get elsewhere. Desucon has an informal cosplay catwalk where you can just stand in line and get to walk over the scene, other conventions expect you to register in advance, so you can be a bit more spontaneous on Desucon. And with Desucon being the biggest con, it probably has the biggest Artist Alley, if that's what you prefer. It also has a nice grassarea right outside that's really nice to hang out on if the weather's nice.

The two obvious choices for cons that are better than Desucon are Torucon and Banzaicon. Keep in mind that you may still prefer Desucon if you value certain things more, though. The advantages of Torucon and Banzaicon are that they have more panels. At Desucon, you'll rarely have to make a choice between different things to do, while Torucon and Banzaicon have more different things. According to other /cgl/ users they percieve Torucon as more cosplay oriented and Banzaicon as more show/entertainment oriented, but not sure if I agree with that. Banzaicon still has plenty of cosplay panels, and their cosplay competition, and Torucon's cosplay competition, have very high levels especially compared to Desucon, not to say Desucon is bad but they've had some issues with the organization previously so I think the best cosplayers may prefer the other cons.
For side activities, Desucon is pretty good in theory. Oh, and actually, Desucon has better program last year than some years before, they had many mini panels around the main room. They've improved a lot.
But side activities, Banzaicon is probably the best at that, they have video game room, manga room, tabletop games, last time they had karaoke room, maybe lego if I remember correctly, Twister and maybe more. Torucon is a bit more limited, and it's been some years since last I was there, but they probably had tabletop games, and the ball pit was nice.

>> No.9886206

>>9886187
>>9886197
Yeah, Desucon was much better last year than they've been some years before, more to do, and they improved the light. Some earlier years they had a depressing, dark light, but last time things were actually visible and they got rid of that depressing industrial mood.

Of the three, I think Banzaicon has the best layout, many rooms to go to and you can move between different areas for a more engaging experience. Torucon is a bit too compact for my tastes, most of the time unless you go to a panel will be spent in one room, and Desucon suffers a bit from being in a building built for too many people. They have three rooms chained together, and around that they have some really big and empty and wide corridors that make things feel a bit soulless. That's something that doesn't affect Toru and Banzai. But like I said, much better than it was with at least proper lighting in the main rooms so you could appreciate the lively room with activites everywhere rather than the depressing feeling of everything being stuffed into a boring, dark room.

I've been a huge fan of Banzaicon for a while, but a bit disappointed with how they'll do it next year, they have 11 hours with the doors closed so you have to find something else to do (most of them you'll be sleeping but there's no way you won't have to wait outside for a long time to be let inside too). But that's still better than other cons, which close earlier in the evening, it's only worse compared to how Banzaicon used to be.

Some other noteworthy cons are:
>Kawaiicon
Small con, their biggest problem is that there's way too little to do, long waits between program spots. Their highlight is that they have the best opening show, full fledged plays with proper plot and music and references. It's also pretty comfy to sleep there because you get smaller rooms where you can talk to your roommates and get to place your sleeping bags as you want rather than being organized into 2x2 squares in a big hall.

>> No.9886211

>>9886187
>>9886206
More cons:
>Kazokucon
Very small con, smaller than Kawaiicon, one day only. They have just enough to do on the program, very nice location with nice nature outside and good layout, good cafe. If you want a good con but in super tiny size it's pretty good.

>Yugicon
Not for everyone, they follow a school theme so depends on what you want. Very small con, maybe the size of kazokucon, BIG focus on program. Often 2 or 3 parallel program slots that seem interesting, many are a bit like classes. Little to do if you don't want to join a panel or do other things on their schedule, and can feel a bit empty, but can also be really good. Not everything is classes with people talking though, they often have idol rooms where people can learn an idol dance for example, or music quiz competition and other stuff, but also educational panels. not always the highest quality education though, their Japanese classes for example sometimes draw characters in wrong stroke order so be a bit careful with taking everything they say as truth but still great fun.

>Unicon
Only mentioning it because I feel like I have to, it did not leave a good impression last I went there, and someone else on /cgl/ left some rumours I've no idea if are truth but if you take /cgl/ as truth be careful it may be disappointing, or they may have improved, no recent experience with them.

>> No.9886254

>>9886197
>>9886206
>>9886211
Thanks guys, really appreciate the overview.
I've only been to Desucon before, even tabling at the Artist Alley years ago before the whole shebang moved from Oslo to Lillestrom. My art's improved a lot since then and I'd like to check out cons and AAs again, but I'm not familiar with the local fandom scenes or keep up with current series, so I wouldn't know what to make or bring. Left to my own devices I would mostly stick to prints and merch of Japanese games that aren't even recent, but maybe I should do some research and try to table at a con this or next year.

Guess this is Norwegian cons thread now.

>> No.9886262

>desucon
For a moment I thought this is Binland thread

>> No.9886274

>>9886254
All of them were me. May make another post to make clarifications and additional comments, but can at least say that if you want to keep a table, you can forget Yugicon, that's not what they do.
Both Torucon and Banzaicon are sold out on Artstands this year, so you'll have to wait if you want to go to them. And you should be ready, because the artstand tickets sell really fast.

>> No.9886305

>>9886274
Yeah, looks like the tickets open at about half a year in advance. Thanks for the tips anon, I might try to check out Norway's con scene again.

>> No.9886351

>>9886305
Why did you leave in the first place? The problems you left over may still be present.

>> No.9886361

>>9886351
I just lost interest as I grew out of my teens, and I remember the organization at Desucon being somewhat messy. But considering it has moved to a bigger place it's certainly grown at least, and I did always enjoy the cosplay. Even 5-6 years ago there were some high-effort, good quality ones. I did AA even earlier than that, when stands weren't very good, but it was fun even then, and it'd be nice to see what the quality is like now.

>> No.9886370

>>9886361
Desucon changed leadership. They had one year that everyone got angry and complained a lot because it was poorly done, but after that they've improved a bit.

May be worth mentioning that they've announced that this will be the last year that Desucon is held, so if you want to experience Desucon again this is your last chance. I don't know what will happen in the future after this, there's no con that can easily take over so quickly.

One important thing I didn't mention in my >>9886211 long posts is places to sit down.
The clear winner in this among the three big ones is Torucon. They've many chairs and sofas spread around in smaller groups, very comfy.
Desucon has pretty much no chairs, so most people will sit on the floor along the walls. At panels you can sit obviously though, and if you go to the expensive food salesplace you can sit there too, or outside.
Banzaicon has places to sit, but mostly in the cafe, which is also one of the major places people meet and sit down. Other than that, it's a bit limited outside panels, and it is just regular chairs so not as nice as Torucon, but it may be a bit easier to find a free seat than at Torucon.