[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 618 KB, 1800x1088, steampunk-51760-lg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9864616 No.9864616 [Reply] [Original]

So my mom passed away 3 months ago, and my day gave me his Victorian costume that he used to wear with her for a Dickens on the Strand event in Galveston, TX. I want to take it and make something Steampunk out of the outfit, but I've never made steampunk before and have no idea where to start. Can anyone help with some ideas?

The outfit is a swallow tail coat with suspenders and black vest with tophat, and I'm thinking mad scientist for the base.

>> No.9864668

>>9864616
This would be such a waste of a good costume.

>> No.9864672

>>9864616
And we needed to know your sob story why? All you had to say was you got a costume and want to know how to make it steampunk. Not go into a narrative about how your mom died and your dad has no use for the costume now that she’s gone. It’s a tasteless grab for attention.

Sage because this thread could have been posted in the cosplay help thread.

>> No.9864697

>>9864672
>tasteless grab
his mom just died, have some fucking sympathy you monster

>> No.9864722

>>9864672
I mean this could've been posted in the help thread, and it really sounds like the costume on it's own would be a lot prettier (Steampunk just isn't aesthetic, I'm sorry OP) but by God man have some tact.

>>9864616
Post pics of the outfit please, if it's anything fancy you might just want to look into upgrading it. Score a cute friend that matches and go for a hardcore Dickensian vibe!
And uh, depending on what it'd look like it could match semi-decently with lolita, if you're into that.

>> No.9864740

>>9864616
Dude just pin some cogs on the lapel and wear some goggles on your hat or find some interesting gloves, don't fuck up something like that if you don't know what you're doing

>> No.9864741

>>9864697
We didn’t need to know his mom just died. It holds no importance to the question being asked. It’s how people justify themselves doing something they know is stupid or wrong and use the “heart string tactic” to lessen the blow of someone calling them a moron for not using the right way to post. It’s like a cosplayer who is wearing crocks when the cheracter wears thigh high boots. “ my dog just died and he used to carry around these crocks when I got home from work. How can I make this cosplay look better?”

>> No.9864778

>>9864741
>>9864741
You’re wrong, there is a reason he mentioned it. Mom’s death, acquisition of outfit, asking about outfit. Your shitty dog analogy doesn’t compare. You ever write an essay? His explanation was to answer any potential off-topic questions. Consider if he left out the part about his mom.
>”why did you get an outfit you don’t know anything about?” etc.
He’s created closure and you’re upset that it’s “unrelated to the topic”. You have some underlying issues you need to take care of instead of taking it out on some online forum. This place doesn’t belong to you, it’s free for all to use so stop acting like it.

>> No.9864794

>>9864672
There's literally nothing wrong with wanting to get attention.

>> No.9864804

>>9864778
The lack of compassion in the post makes it very much to be believed that it’s not a true statement. Someone who lost a mother wouldn’t be looking for advice on how to make something more steampunk. You would be mourning their death. Not looking for a new costume. Their father gave the costume up because “ I have no use for it any more”. Why didn’t OP have their own costume at this point? Wouldn’t going to something like that be a family thing to do? If it wasn’t then really what’s the importance of knowing your mom is dead if they didn’t feel the need to include you in their adventures at a family friendly event? There’s faults on the story. OP just got a suit they want to make more steampunk. No proof the suit exists outside some claims in a text post that, let’s be honest, we get a lot of people in this board roleplaying dumb shit like this. We get soo many “ how can I make this cosplay” threads made when there’s threads made directly for these questions. But instead of using the search function for “ cosplay help” someone rather make a thread and string up some sob story about how they got a suit we don’t know to exist or even if the story is true.

I don’t know about you anon, but I won’t buy the act. It happens far to often to be believeable at this point.

>> No.9864828

>>9864804
Can you go be a soulless dick somewhere else please? Some of us enjoy having empathy and a heart.

>> No.9864835

>>9864828
>>9864794
>>9864778
>>9864722
>>9864697

Please stop responding to the troll. It’s what they would want.

>> No.9864836
File: 56 KB, 446x400, 1520598121077.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9864828
Just where do you think you're posting?

>> No.9864902
File: 2.58 MB, 4032x2268, 20180427_103235.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Huh, was not expecting this response. The mom thing was just more setting up background behind why I received the costume.

Anyways, this is a pic of it as requested. Hats not in the pic, but it's just a standard black tophat, about 6in tall

>> No.9864919

>>9864616
Sorry for your loss.
I’ve recently lost someone close to me aswell. I hope you’re doing ok.

>> No.9865205

>>9864902
That’s the thing. No one needs to know why you received the costume of you’re trying to do something with it. In this case you’re trying to make it more steam punk.

Either way, sorry for you loss.

The best suggestion I would say is get some bronze gears and make a lapel pin. Put some of them on the top hat an look into getting something like a glass monicle for your hat. You don’t need to modify it too much since it’s pretty nice generally. In time maybe you can save up for one of those arm attachments in bronze and wear that bit I wouldn’t go into totally modifying the costume since it’s nice as it is.

>> No.9865267

>>9865205
>Save up
I should clarify further the reasoning for mentioning moms passing. I received $10k inheritance as part of it. I plan to use about 1k for the costume

>> No.9865422

>>9865267
Don't use more than maybe 150 on the costume if you make stuff, 250 if you don't, until you know what you're doing.
As a fellow texan, i can give you some advice. That outfit can be taken in two different directions, but since you will most likely cook in the suit jacket if you add anything on top of it, I'd suggest sticking to the pants/vest combo.
Roll up the sleeves and look at getting or building some elaborate gloves.
With a top hat, I'd suggest a monocle.
And of course, a serious utility belt.

The good thing about a belt is it can start simple, amd as you learn more, you can spend money on some really good equipment to expand it.
Avoid ANYTHING that requires physical alterations to the costume. It may have unintended emotional consequences when your dad sees it.

Another route to go entirely would be the suit jacket and pants, avoiding the vest, and looking into boots/leg gear. That'll help shift the heat off your torso. Then, you can put a pair of goggles on your hat, and get a pair of white gloves.

>> No.9865443

>>9865267
you want to spend 1000 dollaridoos on something you haven't ever tried before and therefore aren't even sure you'll end up liking? good god anon

>> No.9867430

>>9864616
Sorry about your mother op.