[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 761 KB, 750x739, 226FCBF2-0277-424A-860D-7E962E11B6B5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9859864 No.9859864 [Reply] [Original]

Can we discuss Disney and their strange relationship with lolita? Mainly that they can cater to the Dapper crowd but insist on keeping the licensing hammer down when it comes to Lolita.
Also to keep it not totally on dresses, has anyone visited Disney in lolita recently? Do they still chase you down or have they been more relaxed?

>> No.9859931

>>9859864
This thread is 6 years too late OP

>> No.9859956

>>9859864
Disney is hopping on that bandwagon late anyway, and it's because they saw the potential for profit via Pin Up Girl clothing and their collaborations with Disney artists.
Too bad too, because 6 years ago I would have killed for that haunted mansion dress but now I'm sort of over the whole vintage/rockabilly thing.

>> No.9861342

>>9859864
What exactly are these collections called? Are they trying to cash on on the "Disneybounding" thing or something else?

>> No.9861363

>>9861342
They're cashing in (too little, too late) on the Disneybound and Dapper Day trends.

>> No.9861364

>>9861363
What even were those two things? I see a lot of posts about them on Facebook and it sounds like they have a lot of drama, but it just seems to be... Going to Disney parks in a fancy outfit?

>> No.9861374

>>9861364
I'd love to hear about any drama related to that. What's so wrong about going in a green skirt and purple top and calling it Disneybounding Ariel?

>> No.9861403

>>9861374
Nayrt but all the drama I’ve been aware of in the disneybounding community is about people claiming certain characters as theirs and becoming territorial (I am the REAL Ariel! UwU) and about accusations of copying outfit ideas.

>> No.9863501
File: 64 KB, 510x410, dresss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

II don't have much to input but I have a strong desire for the purple axes femme dress from the new pixar release, ngl

>> No.9863514
File: 48 KB, 420x420, unnamed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The licensing hammer isn't really down, though? There's more than a good handful of Disney collabs with lolita brands over the years, and some of the lolita dresses are even sold through the Disney jp stores rather than through the lolita brands' own stores.

It's just the Western side that doesn't know what lolita really is and mistakes it for costumes.

>> No.9863536

>>9859864
I have never been “chased” down wearing lolita at either parks. I don’t know where this claim came from but I go to disney at least once a month in lolita and never once have been stopped because of my my “costume”. I can see Disney stopping you if your outfit is way OTT and less practical for a day in a park walking around/waiting in line for rides. They do have a rule about costumes for adults. And Ott is pretty out there that is can be conveyed as a costume. Casual and practical lolita coordinates are perfectly normal and do not warrant you being stopped for a costume

>> No.9863544
File: 70 KB, 500x354, frankenweenie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There's been Disney collabs with brands for quite some time now. Why is OP inferring Disney has gone after them?

>> No.9863548

>>9863544
Anon's probably talking out their ass.

Man, I regret not getting the Frankenweenie suit set so hard now. It'd match nothing else I own but it's so cute.

>> No.9863617

>>9861403
Yeah, here in socal there’s this one chick that’s notorious for it. She’s got to be in her early/mid forties and absolutely cakes on make up, like the really heavy drag style make up, and is absolutely famous for doing batshit things and driving cast members insane. Just weird shit like when she had a ‘signing’ right outside the disneyland park in downtown Disney as ~the real live Ariel~ or whatever, or having a shit fit at D23 when another Ariel cosplayer did the same ‘crossover of the month design.’ (I wanna say it was one of the deviantart artists ~redesign~ that everyone and their dog was doing at the time.) Oh, or going after someone for copying her because that person commissioned a costume from the same person she commissioned her costume from.

She’s supposed to be a real class act who will hound the local Birthday Party Princess groups for ~stealing her ideas~. Again, this woman is some Orange County Hausfrau going after a bunch of college girls in their twenties because in her mind they’re all trying to look like her every time they dress up as a cartoon character meant to be, what, fourteen? Fifteen?

If ever you get a chance to get some stories out of a Disney cast member, go for it. They have the best stories about crazy people.

>> No.9863625

>>9863617
Ariel was 16 btw.

People like that never fail to amuse me. There’s nothing like a person thinking they are the only one allowed to wear the costume. It’s like the hunt for Anastasia. Everyone and their mother thinks they are the “real” whatever and get overly salty when someone younger or better looking then themselves get more attention. It happens all the time on the party princess circuit. I just hate the ones that don’t even try to make their own costume. They pay someone else to make it and go around saying “ it’s hard being this popular and upkeeping the appearance”.

>> No.9864001

I wore casual lolita a few days when I was at Disneyworld last Sept/Oct. One of the days I even wore an Alice inspired coord to meet Alice, and on the way in the security guy wished me a very happy unbirthday.
All my clothes for that holiday were borderline costumey because I fucking love Halloween, but no one had a problem with it and all the staff were nice and complimented my outfits. I did buy really amazing fancy Mickey ears though and wore them with everything.

>> No.9864008

I wore full lolita without a wig for two full days at Disney. Never had a single issue. Got complements from staff. I wore colorways and cuts to match characters (Donald one day and Belle the other). I reeeeeally loathe the word “disneybounding” and think all the outfits look like shit. Idk I think it’s creepy Disney closet cosplay and it always looks lame. But I might be biased because I secretly hate Disney (the company) and so probably like to shit as much as I can on their empire.

>> No.9864562

>>9864008
>I think it’s creepy Disney closet cosplay

I mean, that’s still technically exactly what you were doing, it just happened that your closet was burando.

>> No.9864650

>>9863548
Didn't make it very clear, it was keeping most collab pieces copyright to Japan.

>> No.9870688

As a sweet lolita i fucking hate disney. Idk i just don't like it. Something about it kinda creeps me out and the whole hype around it is annoying. Their park isn't even *that* good and everything is overpriced

>> No.9870699

>>9864650
It's because they only have the licensing rights to sell it within Japan. It isn't anything deeper than that. Disney is very protective of their IP.

>> No.9870714

>>9870688
I dislike disney as well. I just think it's all cringey

>> No.9870826

>>9864650

Also the cost. Generally worldwide distribution rights cost way more than Japan-only distribution rights.

>> No.9870895

>>9870688
Same, who wants to add things and themes for literal children to their coords with how hard we already fight against misconceptions about the fashion

>> No.9870923

>>9863617
Traci "Hipster Ariel" Hines. She's incredibly obnoxious.

>> No.9870926
File: 447 KB, 490x486, Secret Honey Disney Cosmetic print Ariel Snow white Esmeralda dress.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9870895
> "who wants to add things and themes for literal children"
> Wears lolita fashion that's inspired by children's clothing
> Judges others for liking "Childish" things but wears a fashion others would call childish.

Thinking "maturity" is giving up things you like just because you got older and have to "look and act" a certain way to please others or make them think you're "an adult" is a sign of immaturity.

Thread kind of turned into a "lets shit talk Disney and people who like Disney older than their 20s" thread.

More on topic, I think Secret Honey have really become the best "Low key" Disney wear and are similar to brand prices.

>> No.9871028

>>9863617
Do you mean Emma?

>> No.9871119
File: 218 KB, 496x500, tracihineshipsterariel2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9870923
>Traci "Hipster Ariel" Hines
had to look her up and she looks even more cringey than I expected from reading this thread

>> No.9871123

>>9870926

If you're a lolita, I'd suggest sticking to lolita brands. Secret Honey's quality is closer to mainstream, almost fast fashion, where they don't really care about the type of lace they use on your dress, and sometimes even the fabric is kinda meh-tier compared to lolita brands.

If anything, it's possibly the best example of how much it costs to do a collab with Disney, their dress quality is really closer to Axes Femme tier even though their pricing is close to burando tier, presumeably because of the licensing.

>> No.9873886

>>9871123
I own near a dozen Secret Honey Disney pieces and I gotta say you are completely wrong about quality. The quality is fantastic, better than a lot of brand lolita out there. The fabric is thick with really nice texture, the lace is soft and flows nicely, the detail work with beading and embroidery is phenomenal. My winter SH coat beat the hell out of my winter AP coat and cost less too. Thicker, more fabric, more detail.

>> No.9873904

>>9873886

Might be the timing, I suppose. I base my opinion on being at their store last month, I really wanted to haul back some princess dresses tax-free, plus they had a "tops and skirt" special on. I went through their entire store looking for stuff to buy, but a lot of it fell below my expectations. I suppose it's possible that the fabric was thinner for the summer seasons, although that doesn't explain the simplistic designs and lack of trim.

I mean, I'm not saying it's taobao replica quality, but it's really not quite up there with brand quality either. The lace might be soft and flows, but it's also rather thin and the type that doesn't cost much when you buy it at the haberdasher's, plus they're kind of skint with how much and where they put it. They had the Disney coats up, but I didn't think they were very detailed at all, you can sorta feel the money all went into having Disney print lining for it. My IW coat had more trim on it and felt thicker than that, though my IW coat is from 2013.

Probably the only place I thought might be worth it was the embroidered pieces, which the lolita brands rarely do anymore. Snow White and Belle's dresses with the corsets are probably decent buys, the corset is still a fashion corset but at least it's made from thicker fabric, and there's a decent amount of embroidery on it.

>> No.9873910

>>9870923
She technically works for Disney now. The parent corporation bought/started sponsoring her Youtube channel a few years back and she does some work with the official Oh My Disney! brand.

So the fact that she used to falsely claim to be employed by Disney and brought as a "guest" to D23 and told a mermaid convention she was sponsored by Disney when she wasn't, resulting in her being pulled form the guest list, is forgotten...

>> No.9873912
File: 162 KB, 500x700, 240e8f2095bb70e65152dd9859e8868f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9870926
I love Secret Honey's designs so much. Their stuff looks so much better and more visually interesting than 99% of the fandom clothes Her Universe churns out for the Western market.

>> No.9873956

>>9870688
Your "Coolest Kid on the Internet" award is in the mail. Please wait 4-6 weeks for delivery

>> No.9873961

>>9873956
lol mad

>> No.9874012

>>9873912
That ribbon looks pretty tragic though.

>> No.9874033

>>9873912
wow, that looks like shit? are you legally blind anon?

>> No.9874082

>>9874012
Someone didn't have an iron at the photoshoot for that.

>> No.9874087

>>9870688
When you go back as an adult after having been there as a kid, it's like nostalgia overload. I fucking love Disney. But I think without those experiences, I'd hate it.

>> No.9874095

I visited Disney World for the first time wearing nanchatte (dream goal) and everyone was really nice aside from some people borderline rude asking me why I was dressed up/who I was dressed up as (including a server at a restaurant shouting at a coworker that "She said she just wanted to look nice!")

I'd really like to go back for the Halloween Party wearing a gothic coord though. I feel like I'd be too uncomfortable to wear it on a random day trip because of the dress print but I figure no one could say anything if it was for the party.

>> No.9874123
File: 111 KB, 634x1024, rs_634x1024-171117150457-634-enchanted.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9874012
>>9874033
It's supposed to be a floppy bow. It just hasn't been ironed for some reason.

>> No.9874155
File: 93 KB, 498x498, file.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9873912

You missed the best part, the print has a reference to Giselle cutting up Robert's curtains to make her princess dresses, which is why I ended up buying it.

I'm hoping Secret Honey re-releasing Enchanted is a sign that the sequel is finally coming. There's news the script is ready and then I haven't heard anything after that.

Also hoping they'll re-release the longer Princess version of the dress, I've always regretted not buying it.

>> No.9874451

>>9874033
>bow isn't ironed
>WOW THAT LOOKS LIKE SHIIIIIIT

how are those Her Universe jersey dresses holding up for you?

>> No.9874457

>>9874451
ntayrt but it really does look like shit. it looks cheaply made and of shitty materials. what do you expect a board full of people who wear lolita to do? stroke your cock for liking shitty quality things? okay, ita

>> No.9874462
File: 121 KB, 420x420, 8261a9e7-de38-5b23-ac61-c893799dbd92.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why is this thread full of hate?
Why do gulls who hate Disney come here to shit on it?

Let's post some nice collabos

>> No.9874475
File: 101 KB, 1280x720, 1CB2F449-F0E2-4A9F-B590-EA0B80831B31.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9871119
Holy crap, that’s her! I’d recognize that makeup anywhere!

She’s actually sponsored by Disney now? For what conceivable reason? The thing that struck me when the girl showed me her pictures was how much she resembled a middle aged drag queen.

Here’s the thing: SoCal is packed with ‘professional mermaids.’ The chicks who make a living off it as opposed to having a photo shoot by their parents or husbands are usually professional models by training, their entire lives have been spent learning how to look knock out gorgeous. There’s one chick in my ballet class who regularly gets chartered out to places like Greece and Dubai and China to open malls and do promotional works for aquariums and things. Her entire life revolves around constantly working to look beautiful, and this is not easy- surgeries, fillers, workouts, all while trying not to look like she’s ever had plastic surgery or seen a filler. And she’s one of maybe 30 in just Orange County alone.

The money and lifestyle is insane so these chicks compete against each other in like gladiator blood match level except with dermatologists and trainers instead of swords.

So this chick’s histrionics paired with her face kind of really stand out. You can’t swing a dead cat without hitting an aesthetic dentistry and she goes to the one dude who gave her horse teeth implants? Sephoras and macs here have almost weekly events, especially in the malls frequented by wealthy Chinese women, and this chick can’t figure out a contour? And she’s going to accuse younger, prettier women of stealing from her, or try to pose as a Disney princess when their selection includes some of the very same demographics as aforementioned mermaids?

That was the whole thing about the story that makes it so good. The woman who shrieks loudest about being a real life princess and a real life mermaid is not even on the same playing field as the women who really do it. The thirst is what makes it delicious.

>> No.9874480

>>9874462
Because adult women who obsess about Disney are creepy like grown men who obsess about sonic the hedgehog.

>> No.9874539
File: 371 KB, 500x281, 1480235354424.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9874480
>compared a small time game that attracts male autists to a worldwide known enterprise that's marketed towards all ages

Might as well have said something about Bronies to make it more amusing.

>> No.9874574

>>9874087
Naw, I didn't really get to do Disney land/world as a kid. It's just a great theme park with whimsical decor, rides, shopping, and fun food. The rides are a good balance between being for kids and being fun for adults. I've been to Puroland and those rides are obviously for toddlers, and places like Six Flags are a bit too intense for me.

>> No.9874588

>>9874457
I'm sorry that people don't like Her Universe, but you shouldn't take it out on someone else.

>> No.9874595

>>9874475
>She’s actually sponsored by Disney now? For what conceivable reason?

She's not really sponsored by Disney itself, at least not in the way she would love to be. One of the sub-companies owned by the parent Disney company is a social media management company and they snapped up Traci along with a few hundred other channels. I don't know how much involvement they have with her channel other than being her channels's parent company. I'm not sure she actually did anything with Oh My Disney. or any Disney offshoot. One of the photoshoots she worked on got featured on Disney/Style but not everyone featured on there is working with Disney in some capacity. For example they featured someone who does Disney inspired flower crowns, but it's just a Disney fan, not someone who works for the company in any way.

As for why her channel, most people don't know about her antics or really care. She has a lot of followers and can churn out videos that gets tons of views, plus likes and shares and such on social media.

>> No.9874601
File: 535 KB, 624x503, 1411775010548.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9874475
This was made a few years ago. But the difference between Traci, the new Ariel who replaced Traci at the party company she used to work for, and the parks Ariels are pretty crazy. She always looks so old.

>> No.9874607

>>9874601
Jesus Christ how lacking in self awareness do you have to be to see that face in the mirror and go ‘I AM THE MOST PRINCESSY PRINCESS EVER ALL OTHERS ARE JUST TRYING TO BE MEEEEE” She doesn’t even look capable of smiling, just snarling.

The comparison between her and the other Ariels is embarrassing.

If anything she could maybe be the stepsister from Cinderella who is always in green.

>> No.9874614

>>9870688
I love Disneyland but the CA park has gotten crowded with passholders to the point that there is no "off season" anymore and the lines for the rides get so long that they pour out into the walkways and block traffic. It was a lot more fun when I was a kid mostly because you could go on a weekday and actually enjoy significantly lighter crowds. Now I just feel like anyone who doesn't have an annual pass is getting ripped off. I heard somewhere the average visitor only makes it on to 8 rides in a one day visit which is pretty shitty for 100 bucks.

>> No.9874615

>>9874539
Naw Disney is definitely targeted at kids and the parents of kids, dude. They get some nostalgia money off merchandise like purses and clothes, but their animated work is absolutely aimed at kids.

Though you’re right, the brony comparison is pretty apt- they’ll turn themselves over saying my little pony is targeted at middle aged men, too.

>> No.9874620

>>9874614
Omg, same. I miss going for walks around the park— not even for rides, just a nice walk with beautiful scenery, but you can’t even do that now with how packed it’s gotten.

I really think they need to think about buying land and spacing their parks out like in Orlando. Buy some of the old unused military plots in Anaheim and just have a shuttle.

Also, is it just me or have the Halloween decorations been getting weaker? Last year it felt like they got main street and just left it at that. They did more stuff in California adventure, but the main park feels really neglected.

>> No.9874621

>>9874615
You do realize Disney is more than just the animated works right? They own Star Wars, for example.

>> No.9874627

>>9874620
I wish they could expand and give the park some breathing room, but I think the current management is only looking at the massive cash flow and couldn't care less about declining guest experience. It will only get worse when the Star Wars area opens (and I won't be surprised if ticket prices creep up again next year along with it).

>> No.9874634

>>9874615
>Naw Disney is definitely targeted at kids and the parents of kids, dude.
>implying Disney is just in the business of animation
>and hasn't created a multi-million dollar industry of expensive make-up, clothing, accessories, home goods, etc, that targets adults

>> No.9874636

>>9874615
Neither Disney nor Sonic are targeted at adults but adults can still enjoy them. You sound extremely boring.

>> No.9874721

>>9870926
Garish Disney cartoon stuff is made for modern kids. Lolita draws inspiration from a variety of sources including military uniforms, rococo women, Victorian kids, Victorian ladies, and even traditional dress like dirndls and yukata. There is a huge difference between looking like you mugged a toddler for Disney shit and lolita

>> No.9874723

>>9874462
I am one of those evil gulls that hates disney but if this is nicer irl I might actually need it.

>> No.9874725

>>9874627
Considering Walt made Disney World in the image of what Disney Land was intended to be, you'll never get what you want.

Blame California from back in the day, blame whomever, but Disneyland isn't going to grow much larger.

>> No.9874731

>>9874725
Eh, it was also his first park. World benefitted from the mistakes he made in Land, he learned from his experiences. Look at the layout of Disneyland, especially tommorowland, it’s just not well laid out for mass foot traffic.

Again, there is land available- expensive and not within walking distance, but it’s there.

It’s never going to happen, however, because there’s no incentive for it to happen. Iger has a ridiculously shady political history with how Disney operates in Anaheim, and so long as people are still buying tickets, the fat people scooters could be, and will continue, to roll over all the people packed in like Sardines for all Disney cares.

>> No.9874733

>>9874723
Don’t worry, there’s literally at least two of us.

Merchandising is cute, but I just think the whole Disney obsession is kinda creepy. Like people are never just into Disney, they are INTO Disney. There’s definitely a drinking the kool aid vibe.

Disney was better when it had to compete against the 20th century fox don Bluth cartoons and early Dreamworls stuff. Ever since that went under they’ve just kinda been less about quality and more about selling you on the ~Disney Magic(tm)~

>> No.9874744

>>9874733
ayrt and YES. I agree. I think that's why I dislike disney, it seems so cultish. Also when I went to the parks as an older kid (15ish years old, I didn't mind disney back then. I also went when I was about 8 and I loved it, of course) I thought the rides were terribly boring and it seemed obvious that it was made for very young children. I didn't know why everyone was making a fuss about the princesses, they were just people in costume to me. The mascots are cute, but I observed people way older than me (adults) practically busting a nut over the princesses and the mascots when they came out. It just made no sense. Sure, it's cute, but why is everyone acting like it's amazing? I preferred universal studios, because at least that had a slightly less infantile feel to it.

I kind of want someone who is majorly into disney to tell me what they like about it, because I can't see the relation to lolita. Why would you pair it? It seems to cartoonish (obviously) and lolita is more delicate.

I also need a link to the lolibrary page of that dress, because I can't find it and I kind of need it.

>> No.9874790

>>9874744
I think the thing that gets me is that nowadays with access to things like Pinterest and Instagram, honestly I think the Disney princess designs are kinda boring? So I don’t get the obsession with “I am the real life Ariel omg!11’

The whole ‘stormtrooper/slave/sailor moon’ redesign of princesses also makes me think in some way the fans are aware of the designs being comparatively boring, too. Like, the Disney Alice design has nothing on even the most basic burando takes on Alice.

No, the thing that stands out to me is when a grown woman fixates on ONE Disney princess. Like, one hundred and crazy percent. 9/10 it’s Ariel.

I swear it’s a great barometer of crazy. If she’s past 18 and WAY into Ariel or Tinkerbell, brace yourself because at some point that crazy will spew like Kilauea over the big island.

>> No.9874793

>>9874790
YEP. Agreed. My pet peeve is 'Princesses...but in 2018!!!'. Every other artist has their own rendition of them. And they all suck.

The most lolita-friendly disney concept would be bambi, in my opinion. The art is lush, but still pales in comparison to say, the elegance, delicateness and cuteness of AP's classic fairy tales or IW's Lotta.

>> No.9874794

>>9874457
It looks fine anon, do you need to take a nap?

>> No.9874862

>>9874744
>>9874790

Someone who is casually into Disney here.

Not a lot to explain. It's pretty much the same as liking Sailor Moon or CCS or any other movie a lot, except there's a bunch of them in one place. Some of the characters are cool, or you like the plot, or sometimes there's a talking animal that translates well into a cute cuddly plush. Plus my tv channels aired the usual Mickey, Ducktales, Goofy, etc cartoons along with Tom & Jerry, Roadrunner, etc, I have an equal dose of nostalgia for both companies.

imo, it's a bit overthinking it to say crossovers are because the Princesses are boring, I think it's just a crossover between two popular franchises as a publicity grab for the artist, not addressing some kind of character flaw.

I honestly think the real key is that I don't live near any of the Disney parks though, so I'm pretty much spared the full craziness at ground level. That might explain why I don't associate Disney with crazy, pretty much any other grown woman I see liking Disney is more like "Hey, you like Disney? I like Disney" -- pleasant interactions all around.

>> No.9874875

>>9874744
>>9874744
I’m majorly into Disney. I suppose the reason I love it so much is because I grew up watching the movies and shows. I loved princess, but I always preferred the more independent ones like Pocahontas and Mulan. My love for the princesses stems from my childhood of them being my role models, teaching me to follow my own path and that I don’t need a man to save me, those kinds of things. The movies and shows were always something that made me happy and would cheer me up and calm me down no matter what.
My love of the parks started when I was young. I’ve gone multiple times over the years, starting when I was in just second grade. Back then we went once every year so it became a place i knew really well and loved. Going back when I was older, after a few years of not going, made me feel like i was almost returning home. Sure it’s crowded and overpriced, but the nostalgia and my love of the characters makes up for it. Disney just makes me happy, meeting characters is fun, even though they are just people in costumes. The atmosphere of the parks, the magic they create, it’s what keeps me loving Disney.

I can’t speak for everyone, of course, but that at least is why I love it. As for pairing it with lolita, I think it could be done well, but I think it would be better with pieces inspired by princess dresses design wise and not using cartoonish prints. I would like to see more releases like that.

>> No.9874887

>>9864001
pro-tip: if you're worried about being mistaken for attempting to look like a disney princess (maybe you've got a lovely yellow dress and some long hair) pop on some mouse ears and everyone will know you're not trying to cosplay. Princesses don't wear merch.

>> No.9874899

>>9874744
I really like Disney, but I like very specific things. I don't like the princesses, I don't care for the new cartoons, but I have a deep love for the old comic book donald duck as well as some of the better classic properties. Even then I'm not really obsessive about most of these things and I feel just as weirded out about the cultists as you do. It's really cultural indoctrination at this point. Kids get the princess diapers, the princess toys, the star wars boxers, etc etc etc. Parents take them to see the new Disney Animation film and the new Pixar film, they plop them in front of Disney DVDs (or now streaming) for hours on end to keep them busy.

>> No.9874906

>>9874875
Part of the popularity of the parks is also the meticulous attention to detail. They play focused ambiance and music in certain sections of the parks, they even pump scents into the air in some places. The geography is developed for optimal viewing and vibes especially in the newer parks, and cast members (all the employees are called this) follow rigorous if not grueling standards to make everything happy. The rides are all of good or better quality, even the dated ones although those do seem less popular. Compare the newer parts of Disney World to anything at Universal that isn't Harry Potter and you'll notice a lack of polish.

The thrill rides are very limited at the park but that kind of isn't the point. I can imagine it would be rather boring if you weren't really digging into it. I think anyone could enjoy Epcot though.

All said, I really do have a lot of special memories there both from childhood and adulthood. Big Mouse Brother can have my money.

>> No.9874919

>>9874462
https://egl.circlly.com/auctions/alice-and-the-pirates-x-disney-red-queen-jsk-b205231b-16cd-4ddf-9b7e-4e68b2e196f9

it's for saaaaale

>> No.9875049

>>9874906
>they even pump scents into the air in some places.
This blew my mind on my second trip. I went for Mickey's Christmas and I couldn't believe it when a float going by actually smelled like baking cookies and another like gingerbread.

I mean I'm almost 30 and I'm not actually a big fan of Disney meaning I don't actively watch the films, I don't really like the princesses, but I do have favorite characters like Stitch and the Toy Story aliens.
When I first went to Disney World I went as a "Well I'm here in Orlando, may as well" sort of thing fully intending to not enjoy it at all. I was completely and utterly wrong.

I still don't really like the face characters since I do cosplay as well so all I really see are fellow cosplayers but there's just something utterly magical about the parks. All the themeing, the attention to detail, the amazing views.. I absolutely fell in love with the park even though I'm almost 30 and I'm obviously not going for the 'main attractions'.

I've been to Universal several times as well and you're spot on. Aside from Harry Potter you never quite forget that you're in a theme park and it's not as immersive.

>> No.9875060

>>9874744
I'm a huge Disney fan and it's 80% nostalgia and 20% clever marketing.

I grew up with Disney movies. In my weird family Disney was the only nice thing that was always there for me to cheer me up. I loved the songs, the animals were cute (like Aristocats) and I always wanted to wear cute puffy dresses like the princesses (that's why I love lolita).
For someone who didn't care about it at all, like my husband, it just doesn't click. But when I see something Disney related my heart just skips a beat, like some conditioned stupid dog.
You have to grow up with it to truly love it, because otherwise it is just mediocre. Like my best friend skipped a Harry Potter phase and just doesn't get it. And I could never really understand why people fuzz over Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

Disney knows about this very well and their Parks are supposed to immerse you into this perfect world. And they try to market things towards adults with collectibles, purses, make-up and so on.

>> No.9875372

>>9875049
Pretty much. The Dr. Seuss ride was actually depressingly gross and bland in a few places, and the Marvel section looked more like a carnie corner

>> No.9875389

>>9875372
I didn't get to ride that one but I did do the one about the Sneetches on beaches? And had to awkwardly ride with someone's dad.

Yeah the Marvel section is just laughable but there is an awesome arcade there. Befriended a bunch of Australian guys who were all hardcore playing the Wizard of Oz coinpusher game.

But yeah Universal has its good theme moments and then you take two steps out of Springfield and see Doc Brown next to a cartoon taco truck. It's really weird.

Disney World has all these different lands but they somehow blend together fairly well? I do like that.

>> No.9876358

Personally, I really do love Disney. We just got back from Tokyo DisneySea where we got engaged, heading off to plan a wedding in Disneyworld, want to move down there... but you're all right about the fanbase. So I reflected for a moment and realized that I fucking love it, and part of it is probably because of the similarities to early/mid 2000s cosplay scene. Batshit nutters, shitty costumes, people who take themselves way too seriously, who define their life by it. Obnoxiously trashy people, overly entitled people... So many train wrecks to watch, plus roller coasters and several delicious restaurants. It's truly the most magical place on earth.

>> No.9876363

>>9876358
>back from Tokyo DisneySea
I've heard that's the best of the parks. Always wanted to go.

>> No.9876369

>>9874919
>third or fourth owner
>$350
It's lovely, but I wouldn't have expected that price. I would have expected about $150-200. But it's disney, so I get why there's the steep price.

>> No.9876379
File: 498 KB, 400x225, 1403279752361.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9876358
Ah, congarts! We got engaged in Tokyo Disneyland last year! It just makes the place more magical and you will have very fond memories with DisneySea and Disney.

>> No.9876405

>>9876358
Awww!
I really want a wedding at Disneysea-- maybe just a intimate wedding with 10 to 20 people but at the same time I'm horrified at the thought of having a fancy-ish wedding...

>> No.9876444

>>9874723
I'm another one that isn't really into Disney. I loved some of the movies as a kid but in the early/mid 90s wound up preferring anime and largely didn't look back. T b h adult Disney superfans are on the same level as trekkies/superwholock people.

>> No.9876661
File: 85 KB, 480x640, 8a58f3c252acb4a66cefb7706a683843.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm just really curious as to how Baby gets away with doing these lolita versions of Disney characters, such as their Mary Poppins and Rapunzel Dolly dresses. Disney is notorious for copyright claims and even goes after small Etsy sellers for IP theft. Does Baby manage to change the dresses JUST enough to make them recognizable but outside of copyright?

>> No.9876671

>>9876661
Limited license, are you fucking retarded?
They can only legally release it in Japan, that's where the 'limited' part matters.

You can bet your frilly pink bloomers that if Baby was releasing Disney IP specific items without a contract, they'd get fucked by the Mouse so hard in court we'd never see another rodent in their prints again.

>> No.9876685

>>9876358
Can you give some details on the crazy people?

>> No.9876697
File: 82 KB, 480x640, 472119-117-2015-09-23190142.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9876671
If it's limited license, I wonder how they can get away with advertising and showing this dress internationally. With the official Disney collabs Baby has done, there's a Disney copyright on the product photos (see pic). But you're right, it could be a different kind of licensing. It just seems like a gray area to me.

>> No.9877965

>>9874790
You're completely right about the girls completely fixated on one princess. I've noticed it happen with Belle too (I read and have brown hair, I must be so original uwu). But it really is 9/10 times Ariel.

If you see a girl with dyed firetruck red hair and scene bangs, run far, far away.

>> No.9878281

>>9873956
Ntayrt but I grew up in Florida and universal studios is fucking leaps n bounds better than Disney.

There's nothing edgy about this opinion.

>> No.9878286

>>9876697
I lot of these items have technically not been available for sale on the overseas sites but people get a hold of them anyway. Fun fact: Japan Disney is actually a franchise owned by a Japanese company called Oriental Land so basically they can do anything they want (in Japan).

>> No.9878296
File: 486 KB, 2048x1365, 1439952553964.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9874790
>crazy will spew like Kilauea over the big island
>my sides
Jesus fucking christ, anon. I love you

>> No.9878496

>>9874620
i just went to the orlando park (magic kingdom) last week and it was pretty bad too. the lines weren't even THAT bad (~40 minutes for most) but it was just so crowded, even with the newer fantasy land opening up more space. but it could also just be attributed to people walking slow as fuck + the scooter people

>> No.9878513

>>9878496
Does the Orlando park have a problem with strollers too? In CA part of the problem is that large parts of the walkways are now being used for stroller parking. I've never seen so many strollers in my life.

>> No.9878524

>>9877965
Yeah, I was wondering what was the saltiness over Universal until I realized I’ve never been to Universal Hollywood.

Universal Orlando is great for immersion- you walk in through this fantasy bazaar town, then you have Jurassic Park area which is completely immersive, Harry Potter land, then the old hollywood skyscrapers area, then the Simpson’s area. All of them are on par with Disney.

My boyfriend has been saying we need to hit up Universal Hollywood since we’re in SoCal, but honestly I had a vague suspicion it wasn’t going to live up to Orlando. Older, more cramped, not as much land. Something about Universal Hollywood always felt like ‘don’t get your hopes up.’ Maybe it was the disappointment of Disneyland after Disneyworld since Disney and Universal are so inexorably linked together to me.

I still have to check it out eventually, but this thread is kinda reaffirming me of what I’d suspected- Universal Hollywood is more of an afterthought as opposed to a Universal Orlando which is the biggest competitor against Disney and Busch gardens which, if I remember right, also had some pretty immersive areas.

>> No.9878531

>>9878524
I went to Universal Hollywod around 10+ years ago, it was incredibly boring and you could easily finish it les than hald a day, then a couple of years ago I went back after they opned the Harry Potter area, and it wasnt that much different, it's still boring, has a bad layout, and you can finish the whoe park pretty fast. You have no other option other than get on the same riide again and again.

>> No.9878540

>>9878531
>All them typos.
Oops, hit enter too soon. Anyways, I forgot to mention it's way overpriced and the stairs to get to the lower level are the biggest pain in the ass.
I haven't been too Disneyworld nor Universal Orlando, but I would love too, they look so much better than what we have here in SoCal.

>> No.9878563

>>9874731
To correct you a bit, it was actually because CA state didnt allow Walt to go ham, it was a hassle start to finish.
FL state by comparison would have let him get away with murder if he wanted, he had literally free reign of his swampland.
Separately, Disneyworld is probably one of the most impressive examples of terraforming America has. It's a fuck you to mother nature in a really impressive way.
Fun fact, all the open swamp you drive over on that overpass to get to Disneyworld is all owned by the park, there is so much of it out there they could hide a city.
(Which by the way was the last project Walt was working on but he died before he could see the end of it)

>> No.9878693
File: 434 KB, 1190x1005, 8B4E60D5-A9FF-451E-861A-5A71D26D44A3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9874601
Is it just me or does that one chick that constantly latches on to Traci Hines look seriously like a Chipmunk that just came out of wisdom tooth removal surgery?

>> No.9878694
File: 221 KB, 583x1188, 31C40BFA-ACA3-46F5-9D1A-9ED879EC4787.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9878693

>> No.9878944
File: 424 KB, 1186x1065, 68CF3127-7C67-4EC8-A2EE-1D299458EDE1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9877965

>> No.9879001

>>9878693
Joanna Bert! I'm in the party princess community-- I've been doing parties for a few years. In the forums and stuff, she used to be suuuper sweet and nice, but lately she's been super stuck up and full of herself. Guess that's what hanging with Traci's done to her

>> No.9879003

>>9878944
Of all things to get tattooed... why that? It's not a bad tattoo or scene, just a bit odd.

>> No.9879451 [DELETED] 

>>9879001
Like Traci, has she actually looked at pictures of herself or even a mirror? What does she have to be stuck up about? If I were a kid and that showed up at a birthday party I'd be terrified it was only a matter of time before it's eyes glowed red and it's jaws unhinged so it could feed.

But what's it like in the princess community? Got any good stories?

>> No.9879461 [DELETED] 

>>9878694
>>9879001
Also in the princess party community. Joanna does seem to be more stuck up. Mostly she seems to be really chasing fame by sucking up to big names like Traci Hines and Designer Daddy.

Not really a fan of her singing voice either.

>> No.9879465

>>9878944
>>9879003
My immediate thought was this is the sort of thing someone would get if their father passed away, especially if they watched the film with their dad as a kid.

>> No.9879466

>>9879451
NAYRT, but the community is...very toxic. It's like the regular cosplay community on acid. Because doing parties is professional, people are not afraid to comment on whether other people should be doing parties or not (mostly based on appearances.)

Everyone also seems to get into fights about the silliest things. I saw one girl leave a princess Facebook group because she was offended other people didn't like the pants Elsa wore on Broadway. This kind of thing isn't uncommon.

>> No.9879475 [DELETED] 

>>9879461
Congrats! I wasn't expecting how brutal it would be or the drama. It's what made Traci Hines stand out, the idea of this middle aged hausfrau going after a bunch of young women who just found a way to make money doing something they love because they did it better than her. It was really disgusting.

And again, generally these princess parties tend to take looks into account- they will be, after all, paid to look like a princess at a kids party.

I don't get Hines or Joanna who already look like they'd be much better villains getting attitudes about themselves when they don't even look the part they claim for themselves.

Seriously, Traci and this Joanna chick- perfect stepsisters from Cinderella. Or the prostitutes who hit on Alladin in his intro song. Or if Chip and Dale had found coke and landed in a show like The OC.

If anything, I'd say you guys in the princess communities are too nice. It's amazing no ones pointed out the base reality of their looks to these chicks.

Although the ensuing drama and ego coming from people who think they look like princesses but do look like the first people Disney rejected for work in the park is pretty funny.

>> No.9879480

>>9879465
So the identical tattoo next to it is, what, in memoriam of their deceased parakeet?

Besides, how tacky can you get? 'In memory of my daddy I got this tattoo of my favourite animated movie!'

>> No.9879540

>>9879480
bruh I dunno, it's just a theory
an ita tattoo theory

>> No.9880605

>>9879466
>I saw one girl leave a princess Facebook group because she was offended other people didn't like the pants Elsa wore on Broadway. This kind of thing isn't uncommon.

god they are awful, awful pants.

>> No.9880688

>>9879466
>people are not afraid to comment on whether other people should be doing parties or not (mostly based on appearances.)

Not enough, apparently.

>> No.9881126
File: 425 KB, 1186x1120, 5838C1B5-3B2E-4966-8059-BF7C6BBBA3EE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9879001
Holy crap, that poor kid looks like she’s trying to stay as far away from those chompers as possible...

I’m having a hard time believing anyone in the princess parties communities actually outright tells some of these people that maybe jobs that require for them to not be terrifying to small children might not be the best fit.

>> No.9881527

>>9874155
The sequel's been announced forever, anon

Look up Disenchanted on imdb

>> No.9881699

>>9881527

lol anon. The sequel to Kingdom Hearts II had concept art as early as 2006 and we're finally getting the game in 2018. Maybe. THAT is forever ago, anon.

imdb is where I got the info that the script is ready but filming has not begun. Is it really coming? Or stuck in development limbo?

>> No.9882164

>>9859864
This isn't lolita you twat. This is based on Western vintage fashion.

>> No.9882325

>>9878513
because its florida old people and their fucking scooters are more of an issue than strollers desu. i swear there were more scooters in the stroller parking than actual strollers.

>> No.9882329

>>9882325
The last time I went there was a massive line of strollers along a wall and spilling over into a second row.

I did have some annoyance with scooter guests though either coming too close to me or riding right behind me.

>> No.9882331

>>9874601
Those park Ariels look like Texas pageant queens.

>> No.9882347

>>9882164
And lolita is based on what if not ~western vintage fashion~?

Rococo, New Look, and Victorian influences are hardly modern eastern fashion. You twat.