[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 1.10 MB, 1500x999, Harajuku-01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9829941 No.9829941 [Reply] [Original]

Its been awhile since I've seen one of these. They have been very informative and I'm travelling over there in May (2nd time going but first time in Tokyo) so I feel like you gulls would be more help than the rest of my researching.

Discuss anything in relation to traveling to the motherland. I'd also be curious about peoples personal experiences in Japan, good or bad.

>closetchild stores and your experience
>good finds you've had at stores for lolita/ween merch
>Other smaller secondhand shops for lolita, figures, BJDs and other merch, any recommendations other than the obvious CC and mandarake?
>things to do in harajuku, shibuya, etc
>japanese phrases to know for shopping
>hidden gems
>What cool cafes are actually worth it
>Is a JR pass worth it if you're only taking 1-3 trips out of Tokyo

>> No.9829964

im sure this has been said before but
>check harajuku CC multiple times if youre looking for something. Ive found some good finds at the other ones if youre looking for something obscure or old.
>christon cafe is not worth it inless you're REALLY into goth and religious stuff (i was only kind of into it and the price wasnt worth it)
>i think the alice cafes are worth it but they close earlyish and ime before "last call/order" sometimes
>75% of theme cafes food are crappy or just meh. ime maid cafes have the worst food especially if the food is dyed like blue curry.
>qpot cafe is a dream and everything was really tasty. They closed and are moving the store front but i havent seen any confirmation about the cafe also moving
>i heard touristy stuff is easier to find but the oriental bazar in omotesando might be worth checking out too, it was the only place i found scenic postcards in tokyo a few years ago. Daiso is great for touristy gifts because most are only 100 yen. Ive seen shops in france reselling some of them for 6-7 euros in import stores.

>> No.9829976

>>9829941
I'm going later this week so if the thread is still kicking when I get home, I'll report on some of the places I checked out.

>> No.9830041

Good to know about the cafes, the only one I was really planning to try is the Kawaii monster Cafe and the Animate pop-up Cardcaptor Cafe. Too bad the Qpot one isn't open right now I've heard good things about it from friends who went.
Are other stores like Maiden Clothing in Osaka worth checking out too? I've always I thought their website was pretty decent.
I basically want to go to any shops that might have older dresses or a random dream dress.

>> No.9830055

>>9829941
Don't know if you're genuinely asking on the JR Rail pass thing or just asking for discussion. I would just look up how much the train would cost you to leave Tokyo and then add it up and look at how much the JR pass for your stay will cost. For my trip we're only staying a week, so the $270 pass, and are going to Kyoto and back, so about $260 right there just for shinkansen, never mind that we can use the pass for most lines in Tokyo like the Yamanote and the line between Nara and Kyoto we plan to take. Definitely worth it for me, but not for everyone.

With cafe food, I was hoping to go to one of the Square Enix cafes in Tokyo and looked up a lot of things about the two. Does anyone have a preference between Eorzea and Artnia? I'm leaning towards Artnia despite it looking like it has way more lazy "look we drew a moogle face on it, this is themed right" food since it's not a pain to get in and has a little museum shop that features all of SE instead of a small place focused on XIV like Eorzea. Or is the food so much better at Eorzea that it's worth it? Also probably good to mention that I'm going with two friends who don't drink at all while I only do social drinking so it's not like we'll go at a time to experince drinks, rip.

Q-pot sounds interesting, hopefully it opens in time for when I go mid-May, just says Spring 2018 on their website.

CC question here, I remember ages ago someone complaining that one of them doesn't have a gothic section anymore. Does either Shinjuku or Harajuku still have one? Lowkey would love to see some Qutie Frash IRL at secondhand prices.

>> No.9830056

I went once before in 2010, and I'm going again this August with a group that the people behind Ushi-con has set up for a trip to Tokyo.

Has anyone here ever gone on a trip set up by a convention before? I'm hoping that the trip is not too cringy.

>> No.9830113
File: 272 KB, 648x962, IMG_5334.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'll be going from may 6-22 but haven't even made a concrete itenerary yet because school has just been so demanding. I have a week or so between my trip and finals though so I'll be setting in stone more things since then. I'm not worried however as I have lots of things I want to do written down and my plane and hotels are all booked. Only thing I need to look into is JR pass, pocket wifi and wether or not I'm actually receiving my studio ghibili museum tickets. I'm so excited anons but sadly I have nothing to report about since I'm not done planning or haven't gone yet.

Question for the gulls who have been to Japan, what are the most overrated/not worth spots, restaurant, events, places, etc to go to?

>> No.9830134

>>9830113
>actually receiving my studio ghibili museum tickets

So were you actually able to order them and are uncertain if they'll arrive or something?

Mild venting as there wasn't a Japan travel thread the past few months, I tried to get the tickets from JTB since they're the only real way you can buy them in the US and jesus christ their customer service sucks. I don't know if they sell out immediately or something but beginning of each month I would see every day sold out but there's no way to email them questions/ask for help, and I called lots of various numbers and their main headquarters indicated on Facebook and they never picked up my calls. I gave up eventually as the only day they're open when I'm going anyways is May 14 so I bet that day at least was genuinely sold out.

I do want to go to the museum someday though, maybe next year. Are they normally easier to get in contact with? Do the tickets really sell out instantly for all days and times in a month? Should I just pay someone in Japan to go to a Lawsons and mail them to me?

>> No.9830156
File: 1.90 MB, 3024x1210, IMG_5982.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9830134

Sadly I totally forgot about the tickets and was 2 days late. All the dates I wanted for may were sold out and I was checking in February. I thought it was a month ahead but when I went on the website the sales were available 3 months in advance? anyways I bought some off of govoyagin but it's not guaranteed that they'll be able to get some for me. It's way more expensive but I really wanted to see the museum so I'm hoping I can get them. I opted for the option to pick up my tickets at their office in shibuya since it's near my hotel if they are able to get tickets for me.

The way to get tickets is so frustrating/confusing to me.. also I realized this was no help but there seems to be a lot of reviews on the website and although the tickets were like 6x the price it's worth it for me since I saved a lot on hotels so I'm not going to stop myself from spending money on actitivies.

>> No.9830217

>>9830156
You might have gotten confused because, if I remember right, it's a month in advance when you're in Japan but it's three months in advance for foreign tickets. Maybe all of JTB's tickets went to Govoyagin and other companies, I'd like to hope otherwise but I have no idea why every day/time would be sold out three months in advance when I checked in the first few days in February...

This is a super helpful article on the various ways to get tickets though.
https://www.tofugu.com/japan/ghibli-museum-tickets/

I'll probably pay someone like Tenshi to mail me tickets from Lawsons next year instead of dealing with this JTB BS again.

>> No.9830221

>>9829941
it's not a theme cafe but I really enjoyed the food at noa cafe thats in harajuku. it's literally right there, not that expensive and its nice to have a good sweet treat after you've been hauling ass shopping in harajuku all day.

also if you're into lolita and you go into lolita brand shops in casual clothing, they'll think you're a tourist until you start dropping that yen. innocent world's shop is actually pretty close to la foret, but it's in like, a mixed retail/office bulding and the sign is kind of small and hard to see!

the girls at listen flavor are super nice!!!

laforet's basement is basically walking into heaven

closetchild is like walking into heaven but less expensive and you kind of have to be prepared to spend a good amount of time looking for stuff.

bodyline plays the worst music ever, its some disney chiptune hell music.

it is ABSOLUTELY WORTH THE EFFORT to hit up aaaaallll the tokyo closet childs. I did that on my trip and I would 100% hit them all up a second time. I had two days where my entire plan was "hit up closet child" and it was great.

grimoire/almadel is normie vintage now, not anything different than any USA vintage shop. dollykei and cult party are dead. it was very sad to see how normie grimoire was compared to how it was when dollykei was a thing.

>> No.9830230

>>9830055
Eorzea cafe is catered towards the MMO Final Fantasy 14: A Realm reborn (great mmo btw) and has a little raffle at the beginning of each session where you can win a BIG ASS cactuar dessert. I’ve gone to that cafe so many times because the food is actually pretty damn good! The event menu is pretty unique too. You might see characters on the menu that you don’t recognise unless you play the game (or have different primal forms)

I also went to the Artnia one and bleh... they show you a picture of a chiffon cake but it’s a solid piece of shit you can’t even stick your fork in. Also had collabs that cycle every 2 months or so, depends on what games you like. Seating is also very very squishy there. I still go to both cause I like collecting the coasters

>> No.9830231

>>9830221
The innocent world shop in harajuku is closed now. Their only shop in tokyo now is in marui annex.

>> No.9830317

>>9830231
I'm sad to hear that. Then again, I think retail IRL is dying big time but still, it was a great experience to see and feel lolita IRL

>> No.9830319

In terms of out there fashion, I saw way more at Disneyland than in Harajuku.

>> No.9830379

I'll be hitting up some stores in brand if it's on the days I have dedicated for shopping, but I only want to bring 1-2 dresses since I want to bring back way more. I've heard CC usually foes sales during/around Golden week so hoping for that too. Anyone know of any other good sales?

Good to hear that about Listen Flavor, I want to buy some more of their more menhera stuff there as well.
I want to check in some of the second hand/vintage stores for lolita and loliable blouses in Tokyo too.

>> No.9830382

I've actually never heard of that type of trip before, that really could go either way but good luck!
I feel like as long as there's enough time for you to explore on your own you won't be stuck with the cringe too long or if they're decent then hey, new friends.

>> No.9830391

>>9830379
Don't go to Japan during Golden Week
If you need a reason, try all of them.

>> No.9830452

>>9830041
If you're going to go to Closetchild in Osaka, you should go to Maiden Clothing too since it's the next building to the left. Go down the hallway, turn right before the stairs that lead down to the music venue, then either take an elevator or stairs to the second floor. They have a lot more shoes in store than you see on their website as well as parasols and bags. If you like visual kei they have a large music selection and at the register there are usually some free CDs from local bands you can grab.

>> No.9830501

>>9830134
>>9830156
>>9830217
Wait, can't you order it through Lawson online? And just print the ticket yourself?

>> No.9830506

>>9830041
The kawaii monster cafe would be fun if you went at a busy time, but it's also not so worth the price. We went at a quiet hour and got asked to dance on the stage but it was way cringe with so few patrons. The food is also meh.

>> No.9830515

I'll be going to Japan this November. Are there any fun seasonal things you recommend?

I have a restaurant recommendation for anyone going to Tokyo: Udon Shin. It's walking distance from Shinjuku station and their udon is amazing. It's cheap and the wait isn't bad either.

As for cute cafes, Swallowtail is worth the price; I love their afternoon tea. @home is ok. It was a fun experience, but I wouldn't go back. I actually liked maidreamin' better in terms of food quality, but I went to one in Osaka, so I can't speak for other locations. Milky Way cafe is also worth the price, but their ice creams are definitely the best thing on the menu. I wouldn't bother with their drinks or savory entrees.

This is sort of an offbeat recommendation, but I liked Baden-Baden, a German restaurant in Ginza. My little sister insisted we stop in during a family vacation, and I went back after 10 years out of curiosity, and the food was still good. If you want something more authentic, there's a yakitori place narby that's very good.

As for shopping, I found a lot of good stuff at K books in Ikebukuro. I honestly preferred Ikebukuro to Akihabara. Stuff there is a little more girly and there are fewer tourists. Definitely check out both, though.
Just avoid all UFO catcher games. That shit's impossible.

>> No.9830522

>>9830501

Oh shoot didn't even think of that, but are you sure you don't have to be a Japanese citizen to purchase it online via Lawson?

>> No.9830533

What should I expect from the weather in July? It's my first time going in summer, and while I see people everywhere talk about how humid it is, I'd rather hear from girls who enjoy dressing up the way I do. I'm Australian, so used to the heat but not so much the humidity. Does it fuck with your hair and makeup as bad as I'm expecting? How light should I dress? I'm thinking I'll just end up wearing summer dresses, even if showing your shoulders is considered slutty or whatever over there I'd prefer that to getting sweaty.

>> No.9830538

>>9830522
My bf usually orders our tickets but I think he mentioned that you usually need to have a japanese address and pick it up within a couple days at your local lawson (10 days or so?)

>> No.9830543

>>9830533
I lived in Osaka for a summer, and it's really humid there. That being said, I'm from Northern California, so my scale is probably different from yours.
Pack rain gear because early July is the end of the rainy season in Japan. I didn't and had to buy everything there, which ate into my brand fund.
The humidity really got to my hair, which is fine and straight to begin with. I gave up at curling it and just focused on cute updos. I had to have it our of my face for lab work anyway, so it wasn't a huge deal. Daiso sells loads of adorable scrunchies that last a surprisingly long time. Mine are still going strong 2 years later, but again, my hair is straight and thin so ymmv.
As for makeup, I didn't bother because I was working in a lab most of the time. I would definitely invest in a good primer and setting spray because my face got pretty sweaty during my commute.
Deodorant, at least in stick form, can be hard to find in Japan, so make sure you bring enough with you. Also invest in some Purell or something because summer colds are quite common in Japan.
My female labmates wore sleeveless tops all the time, so I don't think it's considered slutty as long as they're not spaghetti straps. It felt weird going to lab in tank tops and skirts, but that's more because I'm used to strict dress codes in the US. I wore brand to go out on weekends sometimes, and my staples were sack dresses (super airy) and skirt/blouse combos. AP chiffon pieces and otome brand summer releases should be fine as long as you don't mind sweating on your brand. I layered cheap F21 blouses underneath just to protect them from grossness.
I can't stress this enough, but drink lots of electrolytes. The skyscrapers do a really good job of reflecting heat down at you and there isn't a lot of shade in many areas. I actually got heatstroke and ended up in the hospital because I was outside for too long and drank only water.

>> No.9830544

I've never been on a trip/vacation in my life and I'd love Japan to be my first trip but I hear it's very expensive. For those who have been there before do you think you can give a rough estimate of what everything would cost? By everything I mean the hotel, transportation costs, food from stores/cafes/restaurants, and clothes shopping.

>> No.9830547

>>9830522
you dont have to be! thats how my friends bought their tickets, its way better but i think people avoid it because they are't familiar with japanese sites or something

>> No.9830553

>>9829964
That's so disappointing about the cafes....I've always loved cute/creative food. are they all garbage?

>> No.9830556

>>9830544
That depends. Is packing light enough to carry stuff with you and staying in love hotels to sleep out of the question?

>> No.9830562

>>9830544
For a 2 week trip:
>Plane tickets from where I live are $1200/person.
>Air BnB: $70/night (there are cheaper or more expensive options).
>Wifi router: $9/day (optional; I've gotten around Tokyo with no wifi before and done just fine).
>Food: Cost varies. I don't eat a lot, but I would say you should budget for at least $30/day
>Transit: Varies depending on where you are. I stayed near Shinjuku station, so I didn't have to go that far to get to most places. I would budget $10/day to be safe.
Total for essential items: $2460
Other costs are entirely dependent on what you want to do, but here's what I spend on a "conservative" vacation:
>weeb merch: $200
>Tokyo Disney Sea: $70
>Closet Child Haul: $300
>Brand shopping: $800
>Tokyo Tower: $30 for top level
>Shrine visits: Free
>Tokyo dome city: $30 for unlimited rides after 5 PM

>> No.9830567

>>9830041
Kawaii Monster Cafe is definitely for the appearance. Food is just okay and the place was actually kind of dusty, like they don't wipe down their decorations. Really awesome to look at though. Try to go during one of their events for the best experience!

>> No.9830579

>>9830567
That place is disgusting and the food is bad. Only recommend for the highest intensity weeb traveler.

>> No.9830622
File: 115 KB, 940x626, onigiri.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm convinced, I'll save some money avoiding most of the themed cafes. I'd rather eat cheap delicious food to save more money for brand anyway.
Onigiri and other convenience store stuff is pretty good anyway.

>> No.9830687

>>9830553
personally i enjoy taking photos of the food/cafe bc kawaii lifestyle; pop up ones usually have really cute merch and sometimes its exclusive.
I wouldnt say theyre totally garbage except for the maid cafe in akiba donki. the rest kind of reminds me of generic low quality buffet/public school food. Almost like american dennys quality or if you were to pick up a pasta from 7/11 or family mart and microwave it.
Oh and dennys in Japan is actually really great and almost fancy compared to the US one.

>> No.9830698

>>9830113
not really cgl related but ive seen a lot of guides recommend the fighting bikini robot resturant. And every review ive ever read or heard from people i know said it was NOT worth it at all.

>>9830515
Adding to avoid all cat cafes in major areas especially ikebukuro. If theyre all pure breeds then its usually crowded, they get pet so much and they have no interest in anything except going back into their private quarters. They ignored treats when we visited in the afternoon. It was basically a waste of yen and it was more enjoyable to look in pet shop windows.
Ikebukuro UFO catchers that are out on the street or on main streets are pretty impossible. If you see the machines in smaller arcades or outside of the city theyre a bit more dooable but it sometimes it still take 500 to 1k yen to get the prize. If you want a figure you can probably find it in akiba in one of the used stores. I wasted like 1k+ yen before i gave up and then found the figure for the same price in the used shop but without the box.

>>9830622
yeah desu 1/3 of our meals were conbini food out of convience and its what i miss the most about japan. If you really like a character and theyre have a theme cafe of them, i would go. but if its something youre not interested in like the peanuts/snoopy its probably not worth it.

>> No.9830714

>>9830533
Very hot and humid. You spend a lot of time walking around outside. You never feel dry. Makeup melts. Hair frizzy af. It’s miserable. Avoid mid-June to mid/end of October.

>> No.9830719

I've lived in Japan for about a year now, and I noticed that very few lolitas actually go to Harajuku- probably due to so many tourists harassing them for pictures (this has happened to me several times).

>closetchild stores and your experience
I usually only go to the one in Harajuku, they have a good selection. The only downside is getting through the crowded Takeshita street.
>things to do in harajuku, shibuya, etc
eat crepes and long french fries in harajuku, obviously shop the 109 building in shibuya if you like liz lisa, swankiss, ma*rs, etc.
>japanese phrases to know for shopping
ikura desu ka? (how much is this?)
kore wo shichaku shite yoroshii desu ka? (can i try this on?)
kaado daijoubu desu ka? (is card OK?)

sorry my japanese is kinda bad, still studying.
>Is a JR pass worth it if you're only taking 1-3 trips out of Tokyo
No. Unless you want like a little souvenir or something, just buy the tickets instead of paying the 500 yen deposit for a pasmo/suica card.

>>9830533
The weather here in Tokyo is absolutely miserable in the summer and I just moved here from Guam. It's so humid and hot and it fucked up my hair all the time last year. Bring light and flowy clothing, buy some sunscreen and an umbrella/parasol.

>> No.9830730

>>9830221
The Ikebukuro Closet Child rarely restocks and has only about 10 dresses from each brand. If you're in the area, check it out, otherwise don't waste time going there.

In regards to the JR pass, if you plan to leave Tokyo even once it's worth buying. Shinkansen fares from Tokyo to Osaka are about ¥15000 one way, and over ¥20000 if you're traveling farther south. You can also ride the local JR lines for free with that pass.

>> No.9830734

>>9830221
*Disney eurobeat

>> No.9830746

>>9830719
The IC card (Suica/PASMO) deposit is refundable. It’s way more convenient than having to buy a ticket at each station.

>> No.9830752

>>9830533
>What should I expect from the weather in July?
Death in a sauna. Not even the Japanese cope well with Japan summers. Umbrellas aka portable shade help to a degree and also will help manage rain which feels more like humidity to the nth degree (aka not sure if damp from rain or sweat)
>Does it fuck with your hair and makeup as bad as I'm expecting?
Yup, basically everything melts off your face if it's not waterproof. Those handbag packets of tissues, baby wipes (for your neck/upper back/cleavage sweat) and blotting paper were my best friend. Braids are the way to go for hairstyles - they'll keep hair off your face and neck and they don't usually get too bad
>How light should I dress?
For me the most important thing was having space around my pits/chest/back but I'm fine in fitted shorts...so I actually preferred drapey, airy tops to tank tops and dresses. Underwear choice can be quite important - I found my underwired high impact sports bra (not the crop top ones) and the uniqlo airism underwear to be the best combination.

>> No.9830754

>>9830730
It's worth noting if you're into dolls, the Ikebukuro location has Dollyteria. I stopped there on my way to Swallowtail

>> No.9830758

>>9830730
Really? I always have good luck at ikebukuro, but I keep up with their twitter

>> No.9830759

>>9830547
>>9830522
>>9830538

You don't need to be a citizen, you just need a japanese address and your passport number handy. Tickets are print at home and the site is in english. I used this method to get tickets for my upcoming trip and the hardest thing was the site being down and having to refresh a million times.

You just need to make sure you log in right when the tickets go on sale and be patient. I got the exact day/timeslot I wanted.

>> No.9830835
File: 134 KB, 704x396, studio-ghibli-muesum-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I luckily had a friend in Japan I who got the tickets for us and I just sent her the money. I should tell my friends to go through Lawson rather than paying way more going through a travel agency for them.
For me, it was actually cheaper to travel there during Golden Week and 2 weeks after. Not planning to leave Tokyo for that first week But I still think its worth it.

>> No.9830839

>>9830622
I'm going for the first time in September for the Malice Mizer show, and I'm like... stupidly excited for conbini food. I might be kinda trash.

>> No.9830861

how's the weather in may? my hair gets super fucked by humidity above 70% so i was thinking of getting it permed so i wouldn't have to straighten my hair everyday and then look like a mess 2 hours. i see tourists wearing makeup in blogs and such so i was thinking of putting some on for some days for cuter pictures

>> No.9830899

>>9830506
This. Unless you have to try the food its pretty overrated and feels kind of tourist trappy.

>> No.9830900

>>9830515
>Just avoid all UFO catcher games. That shit's impossible.

And with some hunting you can find most prizes in resell stores unless the thing was just released.

>> No.9830908

>>9830861
Humidity isn't that bad in May, though June thru September are the worst humidity-wise.

>> No.9831006

I worry about the heat in May, I'm a Canadian who melts in over 25 degrees. And if it goes back and forth from warm to cool like here I'd rather not have to bring a coat every day. I want to bring lolita but only lighter chiffon stuff.

>> No.9831125

Does anyone have any specific AirBnbs to recommend? Where have you stayed in the past? I don't have a trip planned but I find that picking an AirBnb is the hardest part. What do you all look for?

>close to a station
>walking distance to food and shopping
>comes with pocket wifi
>kitchen?

>> No.9831186

How is the flight from the US? Does turbulence over the ocean get bad or anything?

>> No.9831204

>>9830900
if you're good at ufo catchers and figure out how a setting works it's pretty easy. But for people who aren't into such things it's really difficult.
Often the best idea is to just find a resell store like anon mentioned, so you don't waste your coins

>> No.9831249

>>9831125

No specific ones as I'm experiencing them in a month but if you want something with good location and price you'll have to book way in advance before they all get taken up. My first hotel is pretty small but I'm not picky and only need a place to sleep eat and shower so I went with a 35$(cad) a night air bnb that split in two was super cheap for a week. I don't need a kitchen but appreciate it and all of mine have it. I also look for a fridge and a washing machine is a nice plus since I want room in my luggage for souvenirs not my own clothes.

So yeah my tip is to look early if you want all of the above. I'm getting my own pocket wifi but if another one happens to be there my partner and I can split up if need be for an hour

>> No.9831256

>>9831186
I've flown to Japan and Korea and turbulence wasn't bad either time, no one in our group got airsick. Unless you get nauseous easily or have a fear of flying, you should be okay unless there's real nasty weather along the way.

The worst turbulence I've experienced is always on the small commuter jets that fly along the US west coast.

>> No.9831257

>>9830544
It is very expensive. The reason I don't go, is because I could go on holiday 4 times to other countries for the same amount of money I would spend on going to Japan 1 time.

>> No.9831289

>>9830544
If you're smart about your money it's not that bad. I went in 2012 and don't remember exactly what we spent, but we did come out under budget despite the exchange rate being bad.

Staying in an airbnb or a hotel with smaller, no frills rooms cuts down on costs, hotels in Japan are actually significantly cheaper than where I live. I loved conbini food, we ate a lot of that for the benefit of both being cheaper and not having to spend time sitting down in a restaurant. There are also 100 yen shops where you can pick up toiletries and other essential little things. If you're really trying to save money, stay in just one city - if I went again I would probably just stay two weeks near Shinjuku station.

>> No.9831303

>>9830055
Qpot is opening April 7th!
>https://twitter.com/QpotJAPAN/status/978584285203513346

>> No.9831906

>>9831186
I fly between the east coast US and Japan a couple times of year. All of my flights have gone over Alaska and the turbulence was always bad.

>>9830544
It's really not expensive. I invite friends to come who are dying to visit Japan and they can't fathom how to afford traveling. Just assess your budget at home, cut what you can cut, and save what you can save.

The plane ticket is the most expensive. Then clothes would be the second most expensive, but I usually buy secondhand. After that the hotel and transportation costs depend on you. I think Tokyo would be very easy for a first timer. Look up what you want to do in Tokyo, pick a hotel in that area, and google map transportation costs by train. It gives you a good start and then you can start looking for cheaper options. You can almost always find a cheap restaurant under 1,000 yen or go by a super market in the evening and buy a discounted bento. The only places I recommend you avoid staying in are Ginza and Kabukicho.

>> No.9831956

>>9830544
For me I think that it's very affordable, I'm leaving next Thursday for 2 weeks and this has been my budget so far.
>Plane tickets: $950
>AirBnB: $750
>JR pass: $440
>Food: $400
So around $2500, plus I usually budget around $1500 for spending money. Last year I was able to go even cheaper since I split costs with friends.

>> No.9831979

Anyone know of any cheapish package holidays to japan that allow you to explore by yourself, I’ve found a few but none that seem to allow for Cgl activities

>> No.9832099

A gull living in Tokyo here, I have a few recs. Mostly just cafes

Cute cafes/restaurants (just pop these names into Google maps)
>MiLKs
>Coeur cool
>NO MELTY cafe
>Mr. Friendly Cafe
>Hachi Kuma Cafe
>Sweet Twist
>Vixen Cafe
>BAR PIANO
>VERY FANCY loves ANNTEANA
>Aoyama Flower Market Teahouse
>Caroline Diner
>Honey mi Honey (also a shop, but has a cafe too)
>Eddy's Ice Cream
>MELTING IN THE MOUTH
>Burger & Milkshake Crane

Check if there are any matsuris or general events going on, I've been using this site https://www.gotokyo.org/eventlist/en/list

If you're into anime and want to check out collab cafes/events, here's a few
>http://sega-collabocafe.com/
>https://cafe.animate.co.jp/
>http://www.namco.co.jp/tp/namja/
See you fav anime's official twitter to see all the collab events currently going on, there are usually a lot if the anime is popular.
I don't recommend collab cafes if you're after great food, the food is usually mediocre and on the expensive side. It's mostly for hardcore anime fans.

>> No.9832100

I'm going to be living in Akita for the next year, on a university exchange program. My Japanese is almost non-existent so I know that will be an issue, but does anyone have any advice for living there long-term?

>> No.9832337

That's great to hear about Qpot!

For me my costs have been:
>flight: 850 with insurance
>Airbnb: 500 for 3 weeks
>Disney and activities: 200
> Food/spending money 2000-2500
I plan to eat cheap for 2 out of 3 meals in the day and save most for spending money and small things like train tickets and entrance fees.

>> No.9832342

>>9832100
This guy has been living in Japan with a very limited grasp of the language for years now.
I find that his videos are hone really informative and well done.
>youtube.com/user/cmbroad44

>> No.9832504

Has anyone gone to Puroland? Is it silly to go if you're not a kid? The merch looks cute but is it just stuff you can get anywhere else? I've already been to the Ghibli museum so I'm looking for other similar sorts of places to go (I have no interest in Disney).

>>9831956
>>9832337
Those plane tickets are so cheap. Did you find a good deal somewhere or are you just closer to the area? Jealous af.

>>9831249
Right, that's what I've heard. I did some preliminary looking and there's just so many options, I'm afraid I'll pick the wrong one and be miserable.

>> No.9832523

>>9832504
I always use Vayama and check in April and October. Those are months the price seems to drop. I usually fly out of LAX which can get as low as $400, but flying to LA usually costs me $250.

>> No.9832535

>>9832523
Thanks, that's really helpful. I checked and they are substantially lower.

>> No.9833316

>>9831125
I look for private airbnbs in shibuya/shinjuku and pocket wifi. A friend and i found a great one two years ago but last year when she went back she couldnt find the listing.
>It was ~$70 a night for two beds rather than futons, 10 mins from the station but quiet at night, 3 conbini around the corner, vending machines at the corner, pocket wifi although its battery sucked, kitchen with everything we wouldve needed, fridge, shower with included soap (may have just been left behind) and a washer.
I believe we only booked it 3-4 months in advance. It was owned by a small travel agency though, and we needed to find the agency which was difficult with the shitty map they gave us. The shower also stunk because it didnt drain completely.

>> No.9833321

>>9832504
I went on puroland on probably the most crowded day because it was a free day (i want to say decemeber? )and i went in the afternoon because it was free and i lived two train stations away. IMO it didnt seem worth it unless you dress up, plan on taking a ton of photos in all the cute areas and plan on buying TONS especially certain characters that arent always available everywhere (only place i saw batzmaru merch).
When i went i didnt go on any rides as the waiting times seemed insane but they all seemed aimed towards small children. The cafe(s) seemed cute and looked tasty but again because i went late in the day most foods were sold out and the cafe was closing.

>> No.9833338

I posted in a past thread about going to Japan last fall for the first time for ~3 weeks on ~2,000 USD spending budget. My flight was around ~600 USD and my airbnb costs were around 200-300 USD. Here are my experiences/tips:

I exclusively used airbnb for my stay. Spend a little more $ to be closer to a train station/main line, it's worth it. I was an under 5 minute walk from the Ikebukuro station and it was a really great area to stay in, too.

Cash - many places are exclusively cash so maybe get in the habit of having spending money on you instead of relying on a card.

Monster Cafe - sadly I never had the chance to go, but all my friends who live in Tokyo say the actual food is pretty garbage. If you must go, get a drink only.

Closet Child - there's so many closet childs in just the Tokyo area and stock changes just about every day (I accidentally found the Ikebukuro location walking home from an arcade). I know it's tempting to search the main pieces only, but don't forget about things like jewelry/socks/headbows/etc. - I found so many cute things for under 100yen!

And yes, Listen Flavor staff is very friendly and their English is pretty good. They got excited when I showed up in a LF top and took a photo for SMS.

>was $2000 USD spending money enough?
more or less. I bought just about everything I wanted, even splurged the last day on Nile Perch because I had more than I thought left over, ha.

>> No.9834999
File: 136 KB, 571x541, 43FD108A-A5EF-4539-A261-1B35CF4D253A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

has anyone seen old school purikura anywhere in or around Tokyo? the type that doesn’t make you look like a facetuned monstrosity and has simple backgrounds - pic related.

>> No.9835660

>>9833338
>My flight was around ~600 USD

where did you fly from?

>> No.9835674

>>9835660
MSP > HND

>> No.9835696

I heard really bad things about the animal café's

>> No.9835724

Does anyone know of any tour companies that focus on big cities and shopping destinations? I'd like to travel to Japan someday and shop to my heart's content, but I speak no Japanese and would very much prefer to go with an organized tour group. The problem is a lot of tours focus on historical sites, tourist destinations, and location hopping. I'd like to find a tour that focuses on Tokyo, Osaka, and maybe 1 or 2 rural locations.

I've only done international travel with tour groups where there is a guide to hold your hand and all meals/hotels/travel are organized and covered.

>> No.9835758

>>9830055
If you just love all FF in general, Eorzia is a better experience overall but you do need to get tickets for it in advance. Artnia is better if you want to do shopping and like other games like Dragon Quest. It's possible to do both in one day and still have time for other things. There's a third cafe that opened up near the station in Akihabara but I haven't been to that one yet.

>> No.9835770

>>9831006
It's already fairly hot in Japan now (daily highs 18-24C), so it's likely to be 25+ by May. You won't need a coat.

>> No.9835771

>>9831186
It's different every time for me, but usually quite mild

>> No.9835779

>>9834999
No, these only exist outside Japan or deep countryside

The thing with Japan is that it is definitely possible to do it cheaply, but it's probably the worst country to do on a budget. Everything is cute, everything is delicious, the quality of everything is great and very enticing to buy. Money just flows right out of your wallet. Souvenirs aren't typical tourist crap like keychains and shot glasses. And if you like fashion, god help you.

>> No.9835787

Does anyone have any tips for finding cheap flights, or airlines they'd recommend for cheaper fares? All of my usual cheap flight finder sites don't look for flights to Asia. I don't mind if it's something like WOWair where it's cheap the quality of the flight staff is low, the seats are cramped, or the cabin isn't spotless. Thanks!

>> No.9835849

>>9835787
I subscribe to Scott's Cheap Flights and have gotten two emails this year already about cheap fares to Tokyo. It's free to subscribe, and they tell you the airline to search for. Prices they listed were around $500-$700 for both east coast and west coast areas.

>> No.9835864

>>9834999
It may have changed but inside the daiso outside of puroland (Tama center) had a very outdated one. It wouldn’t let us choose change the year past 08. It’s very cheap and almost never a line. Your best bet is stumbling into one outside of the inner city. I’ve seen older ones in groceries stores in the middle of no where too.

>> No.9835866
File: 64 KB, 720x515, lolita in tokyo wonderland.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do any of you have Mariko Suzuki's book? I looked through it once and it seemed more aimed at Japanese lolitas, even though it has a lot of Engilsh. A lot of picturesque places that would appeal to lolitas rather than weebs.

>> No.9835870
File: 92 KB, 815x579, Baidu-IME_2015-3-7_2-11-40.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You can also put your own notes in which is cute
>>9835866

>> No.9835886

>>9835724
The first time I went to Japan I went with EF tours and I was extremely satisfied but it helped my teacher who was in charge let us do whatever in the free time. the other US group we were paired withs teacher basically held everyone’s hands during free times despite most of them graduated high school or were seniors. 21+ adults we’re free to do as they pleased.
I’ve seen colleges host it, so it might be better to look for one in your area that way you aren’t with a bunch of weeby high schoolers like we were. If I recall we did Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Osaka all for a day or half a day. We had a specific tour request that our group wanted to do and then we did 3? Days in Tokyo. Day one in Tokyo was sight seeing and then a few hours free in harajuku, a free full day and then another free morning and afternoon and then we had settle in go back to the airport.
I loved that basically everything was handled for us except shopping experiences, breakfast and dinners were always included, and we didn't have to deal with trains too much except the last two days in Tokyo. It was a blessing going around Kyoto/Osaka/Hiroshima by tourbus then taking the Shinkansen to Tokyo. The adults who went who weren’t part of the school and I guess just were guided by EF website to join our group seemed like they had a lot of fun too. They were able to skip things if they weren’t interested and didn’t have be “home” by a certain time, our curfew was 10pm which was fine as almost everything closed at 8-9pm we were interested in.
> However always have your address written in japanese on you;
Luckily someone had their room card sleeve from the hotel with the address otherwise we would’ve been completely lost. The streets are not like most US blocks that are all parallel. So never assume And make the same mistake as we did with our crappy map.

>> No.9837951

>>9835779
>>9835864
aw nayrt but that sucks. I really hate how recent purikura looks, and I wanted to do some old-school one too.

>> No.9839315

>>9830391
This is BS honestly, I've never had issues with golden week in Tokyo. Plane tickets are cheap for end of April / early May

>> No.9839319

>mfw had to spend all my vacation on interviews and now can't go to Japan
>mfw uncertain future so can't even plan for this summer

Living vicariously through all you sakura drizzled fampai.

>> No.9839333

Anyone fly in to Osaka before and have any recommendations for things to do? Last time we just did Tokyo and it was really stressful to fly in to for the first time, but I've heard Osaka is chill.

>> No.9839372

>>9839315
Not the person you responded to but I agree with them. It’s a terrible time to visit, everything is overcrowded and overly expensive, and many shops are closed because their staff is on vacation. I used to live in Japan and would go on vacation to other countries during my Golden Week vacation just to escape the craziness and stress.

>> No.9839388

>>9832099
How can you reserve for the anime cafes?

>> No.9839392 [DELETED] 

>>9833338
> I found so many cute things for under 100yen! What kinds of things? When I was in Closet Child even the small accessories were not that cheap.

>> No.9839397

>>9833338
> I found so many cute things for under 100yen!
What kinds of things? When I was in Closet Child even the small accessories were not that cheap.

>> No.9839422

Has anyone here ever been to any conventions other than Comiket in Japan? I went to the last Comiket and had a pretty good time and bought a ton of stuff, but I'd be interested to hear about other events. Comic City Osaka sounds like it could be good.

Also to anyone thinking of going to Comiket - avoid porn day at all costs. It was hell. Girls day was super chill in comparison.

>> No.9839431

If I want to visit Tokyo and only Tokyo, do you think 1week is enough? I'm interested in touristic places, restaurant, cafés and anime merchandises. I would like to visit other cities but I won't have enough time and money I think, and a friend of mine would like to go with me. If my friend can't go with me because of the dates for her holidays, is it safe for me to go alone? I can understand Japanese well and I can speak a little.

>> No.9839437

>>9839431
Tokyo is great in that you'll rarely run out of things to do. 1 week is enough to do major things, but honestly I lived there for 3 months and still found new things to do.

>> No.9839518

Does anyone know if Harry Harajuku (hedgehog and otter cafe) is worth it? My BF is pestering me because he wants to see the otter but I've read bad reviews

>> No.9839542

>>9839333
Eat all the food. I enjoyed lolita shopping in Osaka more, maidenclothing is there. You can easily get to Nara to see the deer and the tower there has an open air platform which beats the Tokyo skytree by a country mile and is way cheaper

>>9839431
Tokyo is safe. You can probably tick off the major attractions in a week but I had friends who went for 3 weeks and kept finding more to do

>> No.9839558

>>9839333
Osaka aquarium, Shinsaibashi and Amemura for jfash, Nipponbashi for weeb shit, you can also get to kyoto, kobe and nara easily

>> No.9839571

>>9835866
It does not have a lot of english, only the adresses and opening hours of the stores are in english. I personally find it helpfull when you don't have a clue which Lolita stores exist, but you could also just google the adresses of your favorite Lolita brands, if they are inside a mall you will find other relevant stores next to it anyway

>> No.9839656

>>9839372
I totally get that, here is my survival tactics. I usually arrive right at the beginning or in the middle of golden week

>get your day started early if you want to go out
This is usually easy because I'm adjusting timezones, makes the trains easier.
>avoid the popular spots
I usually go for 2-4 weeks, skip things like disney/ghibli/takeshita st/whatever during golden week, save it for when it's done and stick to local stuff, check out your area.
>hiked prices
same as previous, do your shopping when it's done

I can't really think of much else, it's definitely not the worst experience I've had travelling but I could understand it being way more of a pain as someone who is living there as opposed to being a tourist.

>> No.9839679

>>9839397
headbows, socks, hair accessories, wristcuffs, things like that. Most things were under 1000yen. You were probably in the rings/jewelry/etc section? yeah that stuff was like around retail at the ones I went to.

>> No.9839691

>>9832099
>A gull living in Tokyo

would you happen to know any fb groups or otherwise for tokyo lolitas? I'm really interested in seeing if there are meets when I'm there

>> No.9839708

>>9830134
>>9830156
>>9830217
Yep, best option to me was using a SS to get them from Lawson. Anyways, the Museum is really overrated, very kid-oriented (expect lots of children screaming like it's a ball pit). Merch is also really bland there so you'll find better merch anywhere else than the Ghibli Museum lol

>> No.9839714

>>9831125
Well, it's only difficult if you are looking for last minute apartments... Try looking 6-5 months in advance to get deals in great locations like Ura-harajuku or near Shinjuku station

>> No.9839722

>>9832099
Nah mate, Honey mi honey cafe is bullshit. You can't even take photos on the cute photo spots there, what's the point?

>> No.9839735

>>9839708
these blatant lies!!!! I thought it was designed beautifully, the roof was neat, saturn theatre was really cool, and I found the best ghibli merch there. We picked up some other stuff around tokyo but their gift shop had the best stuff imho (enamel pins, stained glass cards, pewter mini statues, books, etc)

I went last time and had a really good time, had to camp out for my tickets online but snagged them again for when I'm gonna be there in a month

>> No.9840201

>>9839735
Well it seems you had a great time. I did not, too many screaming children, and they didn't have any of the merch I was looking for (merch available was really poor!). When did you go?

>> No.9840402

Having been three times now, here's some tips:

Look carefully at your itinerary when selecting your JR pass. Depending on what areas you're visiting, there are different types of JR pass that may be better value as they don't cover the whole country. Also, you can use Hyperdia to check individual fares for dates to work out if a JR pass really will save you money.

When traveling during busy periods eg Obon, Tanebata, make sure you pop into a JR seat reservations office (green sign with a white symbol of a man lying back against a seat) at your earliest convenience to book seats for your planned shinkansen trips. All you need is the Hyperdia app or the train times/numbers.

At the station, remember your train type and number to ensure you get the right platform and train.

--

Don't bother booking breakfast if you're staying in a city. There are bakeries everywhere and a couple of exciting mystery buns will have you sorted for much cheaper.

--

If going weeb shopping at Nakano Broadway, allow time in your itinerary for multiple visits at different times of day, on different days. Shop opening varies. Take photos of shop fronts and note the shop number and what it stocks that you were interested in. Otherwise you'll never find it again!!

--

Keep an eye on the weather forecast when traveling in summer. Don't be afraid to change your travel plans if a typhoon is forecast. We changed to an early morning train to Hiroshima as the typhoon had already been through there so the weather was nicer. It's free to change seat reservations with a JR pass.

Stay well hydrated - a silicone clip on water bottle that can be rolled up when empty was a godsend. Also there are so many ice cream vending machines!

Traveling in heat and humidity is exhausting. Go to bed early and head out early so you can fit a couple of activities in before the hottest part of the day. Many shrines in Kyoto are open from 6/7am. Sensorji in Tokyo is really nice early in the morning too.

>> No.9840410

I want to go so I can drink with Yakuza and see Kinbaku.
>Just degenerate things

>> No.9840473 [DELETED] 

hello if any Japanese girl is reading
i'm a chubby 29 y.o. virgin (white) looking to lose my virginity to a Japanese cosplayer

>> No.9840530
File: 782 KB, 3264x1836, 20171002_135413.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9839333
>Anyone fly in to Osaka before and have any recommendations for things to do?

Buy the Amazing Osaka 2 day pass for 3000 yen.
Gets you on the trains and buses for free for the two days and includes a bunch of free shit to do. The non free stuff has a nice discount.

I personally went on the walking tour of dotonbori, Sky Garden, Museum of Housing and Living, Haruka 300 (tallest building in japan), Keitakuen garden.

Had I not had plans elsewhere I also would have gone on the boat tour, HEP 5 ferris wheel, Osaka zoo, Art Museum, and Osaka castle. All were free IIRC.

I had a great time.

Bonus: if you sew visit Toraya fabric shop in Dotombori. They have some pretty stuff in there.

>> No.9840538
File: 974 KB, 3264x1836, 20171002_194031.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9840530

wtf, why did you turn the Colonel sideways?

How disrespectful 4chan.

Have a pic of the fabric store.

>> No.9840605

How easy is it to get around in Japan if you don't know Japanese (mostly in Tokyo and Osaka)?

>> No.9840607

>>9839571
What about places to eat?

>> No.9840611

>>9839691
There are Facebook groups for lolita events in tokyo

>> No.9840653

I'm leaving on my 12 day trip tomorrow, I'll be going by myself this time. So far I have Shibuya, Harajuku, Kamakura, Yokohama, Ikebukuro, Nakano, Osaka, TDLR, Kyoto, Nikko, Sendai, and Shinjuku. This will be my second trip, and my first time outside of Tokyo. I'll also be getting another tattoo while I'm there.

>> No.9840654

>>9830730
You can fly to osaka for cheaper then the bullet train.

>> No.9840909

I got a place 3 mins from Ryogoku station that has about 160 positive reviews, I really read up on it first to find somewhere close to a station with pocket Wi-Fi and not too many stairs to lug our luggage up/down. I wouldn't probably ever do a hotel, airbnbs are way cheaper and give more of the home and neighbourhood vibe.

>> No.9841488

How long does it take for JTB to get back to you about Ghibli tickets? I sent in my form on the first (the little availability calendar wasn't up but it let me pick July dates) and I haven't heard anything back yet. Two of the three days I picked are shown as sold out now and I'm nervous that I didn't actually hit submit or something stupid.

>> No.9841499

>>9839333
There's a Gudetama cafe in HEP5. I went there and liked the food. There's an ank rouge in HEP5 as well. In Shinsaibashi, you can find Angelic Pretty and Swankiss.

>> No.9841553

>>9840654
I prefer bullet train over flying, but I can't qualify for that cheap JR pass. If you can get the pass, do it. You won't have to spend extra hours getting to and from the airport, going through security, managing large luggage, and paying train fares to get from the airport into the city. You just walk onto the shinkansen after buying your ticket and go on your way. If you really want to save money you can take an overnight bus, but some have luggage restrictions and you may need more Japanese skills.

>>9841499 Adding onto this anon's post.
HEP5 had a lot of cute stores and the Ferris wheel on the roof. If you're in this area, there is a building beside it called EST with an Etude House and Algonquins. On the other side of EST is OPA, I think and in their basement they have a small BTSSB store in the back corner.

In Shinsaibashi you can also find BTSSB and Atelier Pierrot.

>> No.9841897

>>9841553
In Namba/Shinsaibashi there’s Maiden Clothing, Near, Closet Child, Mandarake, AP, Babyssb, Leur Getter, Jane Marple, Alice on Wednesday, and Atelier Pierrot all within about a 5min walk from each other

>> No.9842202

>>9840653
Where are you getting your tattoo done? Last time a friend had issues where she needed to come in twice, a month apart, to "make sure she really wanted it". once for design to be drawns up and again to get it done.... despite having multiple tattoos already. She ended up doing it two weeks apart after some convincing. She collected tattoos on her travels all within the same theme, region specific from that area.

>> No.9842214

>>9840909
Personally i stayed across the street from ryogoku station once and imo it wasnt that great, especially because im familar with shinjuku and shibuya station. I hated not being on the yamanote line and having to always transfer at akiba and then sometimes again at tokyo station. Tokyo station is cool to shop at but i found it really hard to navigate.

I heard the nabe is amazing but huge and expensive in ryogoku. Personally i liked the 100 yen stores around there because they were quiet. Plus youre close to sky tree and asakusa.

>> No.9842333
File: 120 KB, 688x475, 090609_cchild2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was looking up what second hand lolita stores are still around with physical stores in Tokyo and other than obviously Closet Child, I'm not finding much. Tokyo Alice seems to be online only and Maiden Clothing is in Osaka which I'm not sure I'll get over to and I can't find anything on Clothing Drop.
Anyone else have any deets or suggestions for specific stores?

>> No.9842357

>>9842333
There's a section of a store in Shimokitazawa that sells second hand stuff, iirc it's close to the arcade. Can't remember the name but they had a nice selection, more on the classical/"otome" side but there was some baby and AP too. Oh, and lots and lots of Milk.

>> No.9842747

>>9842357
Grand Bazaar? That's the only place I can think of in Shimokita that sells secondhand lolita

>> No.9842779

>>9830839
>September for the Malice Mizer
What are the details, like where are they playing?

>> No.9843023

>>9842202
The first one that I got done was by Aya at La Perra Negra, the one I'm getting on this trip is from Horibenny in Osaka. I haven't run into any problems like your friend, but I've always scheduled my tattoos months in advance. Maybe that's the difference?

>> No.9843086
File: 1.34 MB, 3264x1836, 20170930_204335.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9840605
>How easy is it to get around in Japan if you don't know Japanese (mostly in Tokyo and Osaka)?

Easy in big cities like that. The train kiosk have a button for English. Some workers at the train office have an "I speak english" button
7-11 ATMs will also show your native language when you put your card in.

I do reccomend knowing a couple of phrases.

Where is (name of thing)?
(Name of thing) wa doko desu ka?

Helped me a lot when looking for the train I needed, the direction of the station, a landmark I wanted to get to, or a thing in a store.

But Google translate is an app you should definitely get. It allows for live translation of images, it will translate spoken and written language and it even has a conversation mode that allows you to speak to someone live.

>> No.9843398

>>9839388
Throught the cafe’s website usually. Some cafes have a lottery system, in which you set a timeframe in which you’d like to go, and the people who actually get a seat are chosen randomly. So you might not get a seat or you might not, depends how many other people enter the lottery. SEGA collab cafes use lottery system at least.
There are numerous collabs and cafes that don’t require any reservations, like all Namja Town events and a lot of smaller ones in cafes or restaurants. Just check the websites for each cafe etc you’d like to go and you’ll be fine. Google translate works well enough if you don’t understand moonrunes.

>>9839722
Just order food and take pics in the cafe-area like normal people, it’s still plenty cute. It makes sense that people can’t take pics in the store-area anymore since it can be disturbing to the customers.

>>9839422
I’ve been to a few Comic City events in Tokyo and a other even smaller ones as well. They work a lot like Comiket but are obviously smaller and less crowded, and usually have an entrance fee (around 1500-3000 yen). If you survived Comiket you’ll do fine in them too, it’s pretty much the same thing but interacting with other people and doujinkas is easier since the whole place isn’t super packed.

>> No.9843794

>>9840201
I didn't mean to shade you, I went May 2nd last year, I figured since they have an attendance cap it wouldn''t be that terrible? There were only a couple kids by the cat bus area but that was the only place they were loud. The gift shop was absolutely packed though.

>> No.9843796

>>9840402
>Take note on Nakano Broadway or you'll never find the shop again

This is the realest shit, We were staying 5 minutes away and visited almost everyday and there were times where we couldn't find shops and thought we were both totally stupid and losing our minds

>> No.9843806

>>9841553
I'm planning on doing Osaka for 5 days, I'm in Tokyo for 3 weeks, I'm trying to decide between bus or flying, can anyone recommend which is better?

Pros
>overnight bus isn't wasting time since I'm not doing anything/can be sleeping
>flying is faster and affordable

Cons
>will the bus be comfortable/don't know if I can sleep on it
>don't want to be on a bus for like 10 hours or whatever
>worried about wasting too much time with the flying process

any feedback is appreciated

>> No.9843811

>>9840611
is there a name so I can google it? Are there comms? Thanks for your help

>> No.9843838

>>9839708
I didn't see any crazy kids at all. It was kind of packed but mostly teens or adults. Merch is nice and I love seeing all the sketches.

Idk, I'd recommend it.

>> No.9843849

>>9843811
Tokyo Lolita International comm on FB. they won’t accept you unless you have your trip planned or are already in Tokyo, though.

>> No.9843861

>>9843838
Last time I went it was mostly little kids and older parents with them. I felt so out of place! I’m still planning to go again soon though cause it is really cool.

>> No.9843885

>>9843849
Applied, thanks for the help!

>>9843838
same, I wonder what times/days should be avoided.

>>9839333
Not sure if you're into kitchens, but Tower Knives has their (home?) store in Osaka, Bjorn is there and speaks really good English and is super helpful, great place to get cooking knives for way cheaper than in the US, I got a bitchin santoku for 13000 and an usuba for a friend for 9000.

>> No.9843977

>>9843806
If you're on vacation it might be more convenient for you to fly. It will be easier to manage your luggage and take less time overall. But if you're not sure google map train fares and times to add to your flying schedule. Estimate how much time it will take over all and if it's worth it to you.

Cons
There are many bus options and seats to choose. Some nicer seats have a hood you can pull down over your head and all seats recline back far. I'm 155cm so I always use the foot rest. If you're tall it may be uncomfortable. Usually the nicer seats are gender separated, which I like.

If it's at night you'll probably nap a little. The bus etiquette is good. They turn the lights off at night and you're not allowed to open the window curtain. Everyone is quiet, too.

They also do a lot of rest stops so you can use a bathroom or get a quick snack.
>worried about wasting too much time with the flying process
That's a hard call. If you can sleep on an international flight, you'll be able to sleep on the bus, but if you can't it might suck. I don't sleep well on the bus, but I usually give myself an easy rest day after traveling anyway.

>> No.9843989

>>9843806
hey >>9833338 here, I took the bus from Osaka to Tokyo

It was more comfortable and quieter than what you find on greyhound/megabus in the US
if youre asleep it doesn't matter, I think the bus has wifi so you can just browse the internet or watch some shit. I slept most of the trip, but I woke up just in time to see mount fuji, though, that was cool. Very pretty scenery for the hour I was awake, lol. It stopped at 2 rest stations I think.

I chose the bus instead of flying because it was cheaper, accommodating of my shit tons of luggage, and I didn't need to navigate an airport in a foreign language or anything. ymmv

>> No.9844210
File: 17 KB, 500x434, product-hugerect-552964-174450-1439026031-37000b1987c6217781613f1fdfc19dcb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone knows where can I find those nice trench-dress-coats every japanese girl wears here, but in a real-human size? I'm a US size M-L (but I usually buy L sized coats to go over sweaters and whatnot, if that helps), I tried on over 15 coats those last few days, not one of them fits my boobage... Fits fine on the waist and shoulders though. Anyone knows a good place that carries bigger sizes?
Bonus points if not too pricy too (I saw them go for as low as 50$, but they obviously didn't fit).

>> No.9844915

>>9843023
I'm curious cuz I wanna get something from Horibenny too, how many months in advance do you have to book it?

>> No.9844917

>>9842333
https://teatwosugarsplease.wordpress.com/2014/08/05/lolita-osaka-lolita-shopping-guide/

https://abc-lolita.blogspot.com.ar/2016/09/2016-osaka-gothic-and-lolita-shopping.html

these may help you

>> No.9844926
File: 31 KB, 700x700, w-28956-00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9844210
Meta makes a bunch of coats like this and they fit perfectly.
I'd say I'm right in your range as well and I love the coat I have.

Wunderwelt has pic related up right now. Would this style suit?

>> No.9844935

>>9844210
I'd check Milk, but I'm not sure if they'd have them right now honestly.

>> No.9845068

>>9844926
I guess they are! Too bad, I just left Kyoto, and went right by the Meta store without checking...

>> No.9845076

>>9844935
I don’t think MILK would fit if she needs a Large.

>>9844210
Uniqlo or GU?

>> No.9845087

>>9830544
Just went last November, for the first time!

In total, I spent about $2,500 US dollars. This included the JR rail pass, round trip airfare on JAL, my airBnB which was kind of a shithole (and we were sharing it with 5 people), Tokyo Disney Sea for a day, all the food I ate for the two weeks I was there, and sourvenirs, of which I didn't buy too many.

We also spent the night at a Ryokan, and I had a private bath for the evening. Again, all for $2500. Pretty god damn good if I can say so myself

>> No.9845107

>>9845087
Forgot to add, also went to Kyoto Studio Park to look at Kamen Rider/Super Sentai stuff. Would have gone to a Sentai stage show, but it hadn't premiered I think.

I could do a price breakdown if you want, it would just take me a bit.

>> No.9845215

>>9845076
Uniqlo ones are kinda shapeless... I'm looking for the more dressy type coats. I'll try GU. Thanks for the tip about MILK!

>> No.9845316

>>9845215
Like someone else said, it will be hard to get those now since it's mostly late spring/early summer stock in stores now. I would tell you to look in used clothing stores but even those put out seasonal stock, but you still may have better luck there.

>> No.9845757

>>9841488
I had this problem and sent them an email asking if I'd managed to get tickets or not, turned out the confirmation email had just gone missing or hadn't sent so it might be worth emailing them too. They replied pretty quickly and I did get the tickets.

>> No.9845771

Could anyone give some advice about wearing lolita in public? I'll be visiting later this year and want to take a couple dresses to wear out while clothing shopping in Tokyo and Osaka, but I don't want to be disrespectful or anything by wearing petticoats on public transit or standing out and being an eye sore, as I fear most Japanese people feel about seeing eye-catching fashions and stuff like cosplay outside of specific areas. Do I need to wear more normal clothes and then change once I get to the desired areas? Any tips on minimizing negative responses would be very appreciated.

>> No.9845809

>>9845316
Funny you should say that, I've seen a lot of those coats up for sale over the last 2 weeks here, they're all just one size (aka small).
And I did try a second hand store before, so many coats (I think I tried on over 10 that day..), and nothing. Curse my boobs!

I'm going to Shimokitazawa today before leaving, so it's my last hope. Thank you all for your help!

>> No.9845822

>>9845771
I wore lolita around the city (toned down stuff like otome for things that were more culturally important, though) and nobody gave a fuck. I'd recommend standing on trains and wearing the minimum poof that'll look good; basically don't go OTT and you're fine. You're a tourist, you'll stand out regardless of what you wear. As long as your manners are good, people won't care too much about how you dress.

>> No.9845828

>>9845771
I got on the train in lolita without trouble, just wore a smaller petti and tried not to take up too much room. I think if you're a gaijin on the train heading to Harajuku they get what's going on.

What was a lot worse was the heat, the humidity was absolutely stifling when I went (which was near the end of August, to be fair) and I ended up getting changed in Closetchild because I'd suspected I'd get too hot and brought a change of clothes.

>> No.9845941

>>9844210
Have you checked any shops in Lumine EST or Laforet? It seems like everywhere has them right now and I've found brands in both that carry oversize coats/multiple sizes.

>> No.9845950

>>9845771
i dressed weird almost every single day of my trip (lolita, fairy kei, super colorful, etc) and no one gave a shit more or less. overheard some ppl asking if we were cosplaying and that's about it.you're a foreigner, you can look obnoxious just don't BE obnoxious

>> No.9845996

Hi all, I'd like to know if there's any plus size stores in Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto. I'm going to Japan for 3 weeks from the end of June to near the end of July for a Kyoto summer school program.

>> No.9846326

>>9845996
I know Punyus has plus sizes! I’m not a huge fan of their top designs, but they make great filler for bottoms. The great thing about Jfashion right now is that the “oversized” look is in so you’d be surprised at the amount of items that fit bigger sizes. For reference I’m a US size 8-10 and fit mostly L-LL sizes in Japan.

>> No.9847008
File: 228 KB, 500x600, ff468edf-f3f6-572a-8287-424fe8a121b8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

With the discussion of coats, I guess I should ask - are rider jackets probably available in to May? I've been hoping to pick up a second hand one at Closet Child when I go md-May since they tend to have several online and I wanted to see them IRL, but didn't even consider it might be a more seasonal item.

>> No.9847039

My friend is planning a trip for the 2 of us to go to Tokyo next year and she wants to do a Home Stay with a 'real Japanese family' instead of a cheap hotel/airbnb.

I want to know if that's a reliable thing to do? We are in our 20s but aren't Home Stays usually for hs students?

>> No.9847050

>>9847008
Secondhand stores don't really care about seasonaity, from what I've observed. They just sell what they have on hand.

>> No.9847058

>>9847039
I did a homestay as a university student, and so did a bunch of other people in my program. I was in Japan for 8 weeks over the summer, working 9-5 in a lab, and I wound up spending more time with my host family than the other people in my exchange program. I speak (well, spoke - I'm really rusty now) fluent Japanese, so I had a pretty easy time communicating with them, but most of my host family spoke English to at least some degree. Japanese home cooking is a lot simpler than what you'd get in a restaurant, but it's still delicious. My host mom even made bentos for me when I had to go to the lab on weekends.
I think with homestays, you get out what you put into it. I was very careful to turn my lights and AC off when I left for the day and follow other household rules. I spent a decent amount of time playing with their 4 year old daughter and I went to their son's soccer games. In return, they took me to Kyoto and Nara, paid for my meals on weekends even though they didn't have to according to program guidelines, and drove me to the hospital when I got very sick on a national holiday. If you show your host family that you're genuinely interested in them, they'll make sure you have a great time.

>> No.9847073

>>9847058
We are only planning on staying for a maximum of 10 days would a home stay be worth it for such a short amount of time?

>> No.9847076

>>9847073
Not sure about that, sorry. I would be inclined to do it because I had an awesome experience, but it really comes down to personal preference.

>> No.9847081

>>9847039
>>9847073

You might try the couchsurfing website instead and see if you can find a local family looking to host some travellers, those are generally in it to interact with travellers and usually happy to get involved in your stay. For a 10 day trip, personally I'd suggest just slotting in couch surfing for a couple of nights, and then move to a hotel/airbnb for the rest of the stay. This will give you one or two days with the host showing you the local sights/local life, but going to a hotel after that will give you a lot more privacy and freedom, and you aren't stuck if you don't like your couch family.

Airbnb does actually have some hosts that are very involved in their guests' stay as well, but you have to read up much harder to find it. Usually the reviews will mention hosts that are there to greet them and show them around personally, maybe mention the family pet, etc.

>> No.9847179

It looks like I've got a trip planned for next year with a friend of mine, and we're looking at going in June, despite it being typhoon season. We plan to spend a week in Tokyo, and then a week in Hokkaido. Is it as bad as sites make it out to be? Will our holiday be ruined?

>> No.9847185

>>9847039
I’d think it would be annoying because of rules, curfew, etc

>> No.9847191
File: 21 KB, 268x265, 1470055233189.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9839437
>>9839542
Thanks. I ask because I have shitty dates because of my job and because I took too much time to renew my passport so I can only travel outside of Europe one week in August. I asked a friend who lived in Tokyo and she told me 1 week should be enough too but if I want to completely explore everything I should stay at least 2 weeks. But she included places to visit that don't interest me that much yet like Disneyland Tokyo (I've read it's the same as the ones in the USA and in Paris in the previous thread and I went to the one in Paris several times) and other themed parks, some themed cafés because they're expensive and not that good, same for cat cafés because there are several ones in my city, and some museums (I don't expect to have enough time to visit them all when I also want to go to restaurants and go shopping so I'll see which ones are the most interesting). I've been told that in one week the best solution would be to visit several parts of the city in one days if they're close enough. Like for example Akihabara and Ikebukuro in one day, then the next day Ueno and Asakusa, etc. What do you think about it?

Another question, at which hours do most stores open and close? Same questions for bars and restaurants. I've read online that some parts of the city can be visited at night because there are a lot of people outside and it's still lively but I want to know more so I can plan ahead.

I think that if I can't visit everything I want to see in Tokyo I'll still be able to go back when I'll have more time (and money) and just straight up visit Tokyo and it's surrounding as well as the Kansai region and maybe even visit the big cities in Hokkaido like Sapporo.

>> No.9847233

>>9847191
Tokyo disneyland is similar to the US/paris parks. Disney sea however is very different from any other park. The paris parks are still tiny in comparison to the japanese parks, i went to paris last and was so disappointed by it and was amazed that we finished both parks in two days. As a disneyfan i still thought it was interesting to see their take on their disneypark but i could see skipping it, disney sea on the other hand i wouldnt miss and i go everytime i visit japan.

In harajuku ime most stores opened at 11am or 12; some places like daiso opened at 10 am though and most places were closed by 8pm. Food places stayed open for a bit later. In shibuya i noticed some places also closed, including restaurants at 8 even when last order said 830 or 9. Shibuya does have night life, and all you can drink places open very late with karaoke open all night if you miss your last train.

>Like for example Akihabara and Ikebukuro in one day
That wouldnt work unless you didnt have any plans to go anywhere specific and just want to go to say youve been. Im not that big of an anime fan but if you stop to play in an aracade or go to the used figure shops that can easily eat most of the day. A trip to the akiba don quiote can take at least an hour, add the maid cafe for even longer. If you want to go to milkyway cafe in ikebukuro that can take 1-2+ hours if you have to wait. You might be able to do akiba and asakusa in one day though, depending how much you want to do and see. I think asakusa and skytree (and the mall under it) can easily fill a day if you stop places to shop and eat.
Asakusa and Ueno could be done in a day though. In Asakusa only enjoyed the temple and the shopping kiosks leading up to it and in ueno i mostly visited shops by the station and walked around the park, saw the museums/zoo without going inside and the visited a temple. Ueno had ice sculptures and a street festival when we went though which is why we didnt have time for any museums.

>> No.9847235

>>9847233
however, i would recommend doing ueno first depending when it gets dark due to all the homeless people. They probably arent scary but i rather do asakusa in the dark than walk around parks

>> No.9847258

>>9847191
August is a horrible time to visit. It’s disgustingly hot and humid

>> No.9847276

>>9847233
Now you're making want to see what the other Disney parks are like. It's true that the ones in Paris aren't particularly big, the biggest reason why it could be difficult to see everything in one day is because of the long queue for almost every ride. A bit off-topic but last year I stayed only one day and had to go back to my city a bit early in the evening because of the train and I'd say I spent almost half of the time waiting in lines for rides. And it wasn't a very busy day.

In any case I'll keep Disney Sea in mind in case I'll have the opportunity to go there.

>That wouldnt work unless you didnt have any plans to go anywhere specific and just want to go to say youve been
I want to visit landmarks like the Hachiko statue, temples or the Tokyo Sky Tree for example, and some stores (I'm into anime and video games, and also want to bring souvenirs back home) but also just want to visit the city and just walk in general I guess. You know, getting lost in the city and discovering new places, that sort of things. I'm trying to see how it could work out but you're right, I feel like I'll have to prioritize somethings.

>In shibuya i noticed some places also closed, including restaurants at 8 even when last order said 830 or 9
Damn, in France, or at least in my city, most restaurants opens at 6pm or 7pm and they close at 10:30 or 11pm. Glad I asked that, thanks.

>>9847258
Yeah I know that the summer there is difficult to handle, and right before that there are a lot of typhoon. I've read on several blogs that the best season is autumn, but there are chances I'll have to work or find an internship starting September.

>> No.9847347

>>9847179
Also looking at going in June and wondering about this. Can't slot it in many other times of the year so I'm stuck with June or July. Want to avoid humid weather as much as possible.

>> No.9847406

>>9846326
im a US size 16-18 and im 5'11" so im worrying that nothing much would fit me (especially since i have an F cup Chest), I kinda have an hourglass shape (like a chubby hourglass figure) but im hoping to loose some weight

>> No.9847407

>>9847179
>>9847347
Mid June to July is the rainy season. Typhoons are not really a serious threat but it will be raining everyday. Still, that's preferable to August, when the rain clears out but it's brutally hot (35c/95f and up) and 70%+ humidity. The only good thing about Japanese summer are the sales.

>> No.9847863

>>9847276
Yeah it can be crazy with lines depending on when you go. I would check here
>http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/
yellow and below arent too bad ime. Ive been right before halloween when tokyo disneyland park as sold out less than hour after opening/they wont let anymore people in and tokyo sea was "black" according to that calculator. EVerything was a 4-6+ hour wait but personally my friends and i mostly went for buying merch and other friends wanted to take photos everywhere so it wasnt that bad for us but we were living there at the time and $60 tickets werent much compared to the $120+ of US parks.

>> No.9847874

>>9847863
Yes the tickets are also not as expensive as in Paris so I guess going there and not being able to go to all the rides isn't as bad.

>> No.9847889

>>9847406
I also forgot to mention Uniqlo! I think you’ll be able to find tops that fit for sure. I’d be more concerned with your height more than anything. I’m 5ft3in and everything fits me just about right in length.

>> No.9848134

>>9847889
The struggles of being tall and chubby, I'd end up standing out there. But still, thank you so much for your advice

>> No.9849590

>>9848134
>The struggles of being tall and chubby,

I am also tall at chubby at 6'0 and 220
I just went this past fall and I found 0 good clothes. I found one oversized sweater and got it just to have one piece of clothing and I regret it. It fits so awkwardly.

You might have to settle on hats, hair items, and such things with no sizes.

I sew so I also picked up fabric so even if I didn't get any clothes I can at least make stuff with fabric from Japan.

>> No.9849834
File: 102 KB, 432x576, 768675.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread is gold, many thanks anons.

I'm going to be in Japan from 14th to 25th November, spending time in Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto (side-trips pending). I was wondering if anyone had any Larme type shopping / related places to visit, reccomendations or tips, or any lolita fashion related tidbits not already mentioned?

If it helps, my style leans more towards dark palettes and the goth and grunge side of things.

I'm also open to any slighly out there type stuff, especially anything with a horror, supernatural or youkai theme - I lap that stuff up!

>> No.9849863

>>9847233
Thanks for the info anon, also a Disneyfan and I have heard great thing about disney sea, last time I went to Japan was 10 years ago but due to my friends not liking the idea of going to a theme park I wasn´t able to go, I´ll make sure to add it to my to do list for next time

>> No.9850123

>>9843989
that sounds totally optimal, thank you for this input. Can I get buy with stupid basic japanese?

>> No.9850124

>>9845822
this

>> No.9850338

>>9849834
Anon you sound exactly like me, be my friend.

There are plenty of larme-style shops are in Laforet Harajuku, so I recommend going there first. E Hyphen World Gallery Bonbon, Rose Marie Seoir, Vannie Tokyo, lilLilly, Ank Rouge and Honey Salon are all in Laforet, as well as other shops that often have larme-style items. Laforet also has pop-up stores, recently they have had Fiction Tokyo and Kris Soonik pop ups that would have fit larme perfectly. Other than that, I just recommend checking your fav brands' locations and going there. Also just walking around Harajuku, Shibuya, Koenji and Shimokitazawa to find interesting stuff.

As for youkai/horror stuff, Namja Town has a small youkai/horror area to explore. There isn't much to do at Namja Town except eat and walk around, but the entrance to is only 500 yen and is worth it for how charming the all the decorations are. Plenty of great photo-spots!

>> No.9850392

>>9850123
I didn't have to speak a word, just showed them the ticket on my phone and they let me in. I think announcements on the bus even played in english after they played them in japanese. it was very easy - just if you get off the bus at the rest stops make sure to watch your time and not dawdle haha

>> No.9851936
File: 1.67 MB, 2592x1936, 069.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9829941
There isnt air conditioning in every store/restaurant so dont dress too warm. If your in Osaka you should see the Ghibli museum.

>> No.9851939
File: 1.94 MB, 2592x1936, 071.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9851936

>> No.9851943
File: 1.23 MB, 2592x1936, 056.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9851936
Osaka sunset is the best

>> No.9852168

>>9850338
Thanks so much for this info, I saved your comment and came up with a rough itinerary off the back of it. I also can't believe I didn't properly explore Shibuya during my first trip, definitely gonna fix that.

I'll be your pal anon! Sometimes posting here reminds me of the carefree days as a kid when it wasn't considered freaking weird and awkward to just walk up and ask people if they'd be your friend, so happy to bring it back! I have goth and horror nut type buddies but most of them hate shopping, general browsing, and aren't interested in girly stuff at all.

>> No.9852270

Is Design Festa worth attending? I just found out the next one is in the middle of my trip. Do I need to line up early? Do I need both days to see everything?

>> No.9852285

>>9849834
>>9850338
You can also visit Katie since it's near shibuya, Honey Mi Honey cafe and right there you can also find the Eat Me shop

>> No.9852298

Hi im making another post here, is there any anime conventions in Japan during the end of June to the end of July?

>> No.9853415

>>9852298
Japan doesn’t have anime conventions

>> No.9853428

>>9849834
I'd say Shibuya 109 is the best place for larme

>> No.9853649

Starting to plan my outfits for my trip and pack, but I've just realized I've never been on a plane before and am unsure about what to wear on it. Of course something comfy and not hideous and easy to get through TSA, but are gigantic planes on long international flights hot from all the people? Overly air conditioned and freezing? Well regulated in temperature? Sorry for a dumb question.

On a different note, do the public tourist destinations in Kyoto like Kiyomizu-dera. Fushimi Inari, etc close when it's raining or remain open? My group only has two days in Kyoto and we've booked an Airbnb so it's not like we can change when we go due to weather, so hopefully we can still see these.

>> No.9853663

>>9852270
Yes! You can get all your gift shopping done for the whole year there. There are thousands of vendors so you may not be able to see everything in one day, but it's pretty exhausting so I've never done both days myself. Pre-buy your tickets at the convenience store before you go (you can ask the staff how to do it if you don't read Japanese). There's no need to line up early unless you want to buy something particularly in demand. Look at the #designfesta or #デザフェス tags on twitter to get booth numbers for anything you might like.

>> No.9853665

>>9853649
I like to wear leggings with a loose dress on top, and bring along a light jacket. Air temperature can vary a lot.

Temples don't close for bad weather afaik, and Fushimi Inari (as well as a lot of other shrines) can't close since it's basically just an open mountain.

>> No.9853667

>>9853649
I think it depends on the plane :( I tend to get really cold on planes but there was a time in which I fainted due to the poor A/C, it was really hot.

I think Kiyomizudera is closed for the time being. I don't know whether it's open or not if it's raining, tho. I must say I didn't enjoy it that much because it was reaaaally cramped and full of people.

I skipped Fushimi Inari when I was in Kyoto to do some other stuff, but luckily it was quite easy to get there from Osaka (I had a JR Pass), it was like 15 min on shinkansen to Kyoto and then changing to the train that gets you to Inari station. It was raining that day and it was open :)
Since you have only 2 days maybe consider going from Osaka? I wouldn't miss Fushimi Inari, it's really nice!

>> No.9853703

>>9849834
Tokyo: LaForett in Harajuku, Shibuya 109 has all the major larme brands in the upper levels

Osaka: America Mura is a big shopping mall, Regulus sells rock, visual-kei and some cool menhera brands.

>> No.9853717

>>9853649
Definitely stick with comfort, wear layers as temperatures can be uncertain and vary from person to person. I've always found planes to be kind of stuffy and warm but at the same time I've been beside a woman in a puffy down jacket. I either wear a t-shirt plus cardigan or a sweater with a tank top underneath so that it's easy to take off layers if it gets too warm.

>> No.9853754

>>9852298
Anime Japan just happened and I think the next big event will be Comiket in August. You may be able to find some smaller cosplay events, so maybe check Twitter? It’s not at all like cons in the US but still worth checking out!

>> No.9853760

>>9853665
>wearing leggings without skirt/dress
Disgusting

>> No.9853763

>>9853760
The post literally said with a dress

>> No.9853766

>>9853763
I read loose top for some reason. I'm so relieved.

>> No.9853787

>>9853649

I don't know about Kiyomizudera's closure, but Fushimi Inari is always open. You can go in the evening and see the friendly temple cats.

>> No.9853793
File: 162 KB, 329x353, 1451489527247.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw wanted to to Tokyo with a friend but she hesitated so much for so many stupid reasons that when we finally tried to buy plane tickets, the price almost doubled in a matter of days.
>it has been more than a month since I tried to plan this trip
I'm never planning anything with her again.

>> No.9853796

>>9853793
Its your own fault for waiting for someone who made it clear she wasn't sure

>> No.9853805

>>9853760
Yes i said dress, i think immigration would kick you out of japan for committing such an egregious fashion crime as wearing leggings as pants

>> No.9853891

>>9853805
What have leggings ever done to you?

>> No.9854187
File: 129 KB, 640x640, tumblr_ohqspxWKT91tlp7cko4_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Since someone posted about Larme, does anyone have advice for finding Menhera fashion? I know Listen Flavor will have some, but what other specific stores should I check out? I'd like to get some more Menhera Chan clothes and merch as well. Accessories are less important but sweatshirts and tights/socks are most of what I need.

>> No.9854201
File: 43 KB, 900x900, IMG_6137.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9853805

oh.. will I get bullied in Nippon land for wearing leggings? I do a lot of working out so I have a few pairs and they are super cozy to hike/walk in so I was planning on wearing some for certain days. Is it not as widely accepted there as it is in NA?

>> No.9854239

Not sure if I should post here or in the dumb question thread, but I suddenly realized I may have an issue and would appreciate gulls' experience on this:
I'm very, very sensitive to the sun and I've gotten into the habit of carrying a parasol everywhere - Would this be a nuisance to others when walking around areas that may be more crowded like Takeshita Dori or Shibuya?

>> No.9854278
File: 490 KB, 700x525, 0a4b9db.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9854239
I think you're in luck in the sense that carrying a sun parasol everywhere isn't considered weird at all in Japan, loads of people (esp women) do it.

I guess just use discretion, if it seems super crowded and like it might get in the way, put it away and opt for a hat - you can always bring the parasol with you and use it as and when it's appropriate (and you've passed the super crowded areas).

>> No.9854293

>>9854201
No one's gonna say shit to you anon but it will scream gaijin tourist. Skirts and dresses are usually worn with leggings although you might see the odd person going against this 'rule'. Tight pants are common but rarely actual leggings as pants. If you reaaaly want to wear them for comfort, just pair them with a longer top that just covers your ass, or with a short sundress.

tl;dr leggings are generally worn like opaque tights/ pantyhose in Japan.

>> No.9854452

>>9853796
Well I didn't post the details but basically she was 100% sure she wanted to go to Japan but made me believe she would bring along someone else (who wasn't sure at all actually) who had interesting deals for plane tickets and hotels. She also wanted to convince me to quit my job so we could get better dates because I plan on quitting once I find something else, which is not going to happen that soon and for some reason it was hard to convince her that no, I'm not quitting for such a stupid reason, especially when I haven't got another job yet. That among other things. I don't know what to do for my holidays now but I guess since plane ticket for Japan are so expensive now for August I'll try to plan another trip for another season.

>> No.9854488

>>9854293

but there's nothing sheer about them. Leggings are squat proof and are just sporty pants. I would feel weird putting pants under a skirt but im hoping a long hoodie should work right ?
I'm not sure what to wear anymore but anything cozy for 12 hours of walking is ideal. The weather seems like it would flunctuate though so I'm not should wether to go for shorts for the 30 degree weather or jeans for the 15 degree weather

>> No.9854538

>>9854452
>quitting your job for a vacation
What...

>> No.9854544 [DELETED] 

>>9854488
It's not about sheer or opaque that's the issue. It's that the shape of your butt is visible, and you're wearing an item that is considered to be underwear as pants.

Also, no cleavage. They're OK with zettai ryouiki It's not about sheer or opaque that's the issue. It's that the shape of your butt is visible in tight 3D glory for the public to see. Just pony up a mini skirt or whatever that will cover just your butt.

Also, no cleavage. They're OK with zettai ryouiki because they think it's cute instead of sexy. They won't glare daggers at you for showing cleavage, but they will look... Disappointed.

>> No.9854654

>>9854488
Different Anon. Although athleisure is slowly catching on, I'd be on the safe side and wear something like running shorts over leggings or a long top because as the other Anon said, leggings are worn as an accessory not a replacement for pants.
Maybe get joggers and running shorts instead?

>> No.9854764

>>9854278
Thank you, anon! That's great to know. Time to find a cute hat to match my coords.

>> No.9854776

>>9854488
Wearing leggings with long shirts/hoodies is very common. You will only look like a tourist if you’re wearing leggings with a down vest and running sneakers.

>> No.9854815

Thanks for all the answers on plane garb guys!

>>9853667
Ah, closed like for construction or something? My trip is in mid-May (I'm honestly just planning outfits out of excitement), hopefully it's open again by then. I hear a tip is to go rather early to get minimal crowds but still get a daylight view of Kyoto, hopefully that's true. And we're going to hit up Fushimi Inari at sunset/descend in the dark, I hear it's super pretty then and less crowded.

Unfortunately we don't have time for Osaka - between our jobs we decided on an eight day trip, really only seven days actually in Japan, and have a lot to see in Tokyo but wanted to make sure we saw some traditional stuff in Kyoto and a quick stop in Nara. Next time I go I probably want to spend a lot more time near Osaka and the Kansai area as a whole!

>> No.9854817

People wear leggings all the time in Japan, it's the showing the shape of your camel toe and ass with tight pants which is uncommon and gonna get stares. Wear a long shirt on top if you care, be a freak and accept the stares if you don't. Idk why this is so hard to grasp.

>> No.9854902

>>9854538
See? I like my friend a lot but now you can see why it's a bad idea to plan anything with her I hope. She only has bad ideas and is hard to convince so we won't go to Japan like we were supposed to.

>> No.9855065

Do any of you gulls know which of the theme and maid cafes do you need to make bookings for? I'm hoping to go to @Home, maybe Maidreamin, the Pompompurin cafe, Swallowtail, Q-pot and Milky way cafe at the very least.

I know that Swallowtail and Q-pot need bookings but I’m unsure about the rest and I haven’t found much info on it.

>> No.9855120

>>9854452
Trust me, you don’t want to come in August anyway

>> No.9855129

Akita year abroad gull here again, does anyone know if there are any J-Fashion shops or CGL stuff (besides manga and anime places which I'm sure they'll have) in Akita?

>> No.9855130

>>9855065
I've never made reservations when going to Q-pot or @home, but in general if the place accepts reservations then it's better to make one.

>> No.9855132

>>9855065
From my experience, the maid cafes usually don't need reservations-- they're often on the street trying to get people in anyway. If you googled for the @home cafe, they state they don't take reservations. Pompompurin doesn't state on their website that they take reservations either. Just be ready to wait for ages if you really want to/or hit it up during the week when it's quiet.

Q-pot you can reserve on the website which is easy. However, I usually went during the weekday and it wasn't too busy so you might not want to. Unless you want a specific section such as the individual room (Se'Q"ret) room or the chocolate bar area. But since they moved they've closed the reservation form.. so you might have to wait until they open up the form or try your luck on the day.

I made bookings for the Artnia cafe + Eorzea cafe because I wanted to guarantee a spot instead of relying on the twitter updates and they consistently sell out. Cafes that are only up for a couple months usually require reservations (pop up sailor moon cafe /the misako cafe etc)

>> No.9855135

>>9855120
So it's a blessing in disguise I guess. Other anons said the weather was hell on earth in August, does it get better in September?

>> No.9855289
File: 967 KB, 2714x1811, Osaka-castle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9853793

Don't worry too hard. Around 3 times a year tickets go down in price so us mortals can afford it.

Go alone if you have to. It's super safe and decently easy to navigate the train system with google or one of the train apps.

Or go alone or with someone reliable and post ALL the pics. And if you are feeling really vindictive send your friend a postcard from Tokyo. Do not spend your life waiting on others. I went alone because 2 tickets were just not in the budget so it was go alone or miss the play I had been trying to see for 20 years. I went and it's was wonderful.
We've made plans to go back together in 2020.

>> No.9855296
File: 52 KB, 550x413, dotombori-by-night.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9855135
>does it get better in September?

>>9855289 here again

Yes. I went at the tail end of Sept and it was choice weather. Wasn't hot nor chilly and it only rained one day. I wore shorts, pants, skirts, whatever and I get cold easy and I can tell you the weather was so nice in Osaka.

75-86 F all week. Not even humid.
Tokyo had similar temps.

>> No.9855397

>>9855289
I thought about going alone in June because I have 2 weeks of paid holidays but I won't receive my passport on time. So I'll try next year, the tickets were really cheap for June, and I'll be able to try to see if other friends will be able to come with me. And if they can't then whatever, I'll go anyway.

>> No.9855634

>>9855397

That's a healthy attitude.
Also there are places that expedite passports. So if the right ticket price suddenly appears between now and June you have options.

But hey if it doesn't pan out June is hot and rainy anyways. June to July is their rain season. But if you don't mind rain then go for it. Cause rain can clear out crowded attractions. I personally didn't mind the one day it rained for me but it got annoying near the end of the day. Even with an umbrella I got wet and my pack got wet and nearly killed my phone and DS.

>> No.9855719

>>9855634
It definitely won't be possible for the passport. I booked an appointment at the beginning of March and my appointment will be in the middle of May (the earliest date possible) and it takes at the very least a month until I get the passport. And two years ago there has been problems in my city so a lot of people received their passports at least 4 months after their appointment so they couldn't go outside the European Union for the summer holidays even though they booked hotel rooms and got plane tickets at the beginning of the year. I'd rather plan the trip for another time.

>> No.9855797

Is shopping a waste of time if you're aren't into cgl/jfashion? I want to find some cool Japanese clothing and pieces that are more unique but its not like my style or colour palette is only found in any one country

>> No.9855798

>>9855797
>if i'm not into japanese fashion is shopping at japanese stores for fashion a waste of time

Are you for real

>> No.9855859

>>9855798
There's more to Japanese fashion than our weeb shit, anon

>>9855797
Yes, there's plenty of fashion that isn't just cgl/jfashion. It seems like a lot of mainstream chains are pretty popular, but those won't be interesting because you can find it outside of Japan, same goes with vintage. But Tokyo is a fashion capital for a reason, so you'll definitely find unique pieces that aren't jfashion, but it's hard to say what because I don't know what your style is.

>> No.9855864

>>9855859
I'm aware, but what you don't seem to be aware of is what jfash stands for. It stands for Japanese Fashion. Fashion sold in japan is Japanese Fashion. Fucking mind blowing I know.

>> No.9855965

>>9855864
>thinking jfash is literally any clothing sold in Japan
Do we still say i shiggy round these parts? Because i do indeed shiggy

>> No.9856010

>>9855859

yes I realized I must have sounded silly and could probably only fully make sense with a bunch of pictures to show as examples but thank you for getting what I mean!

I probably didn't word it the best. Maybe I should have said is Harajuku/Shibuya 109 worth the time if I'm not into super cutesy clothing style.

>> No.9856085

I know a lot of places are cash only, but how much cash is good to have? Having a lot of cash on me makes me nervous desu, though I hear there's international ATMs. I'll be in Tokyo for about a week.

>> No.9856087

>>9855965
>japanese fashion isn't japanese fashion

shiggy

>> No.9856089

>>9856087
Nayrt, typically when people use the term "jfash" they're referring to fashion styles that are considered unique to Japan, i.e. mainly alternative street styles.

>> No.9856090

>>9856089
>typically

By your own post you are saying there are other interpretations

>> No.9856095

>>9856085
I only ever used cash - had around 10k ($1000aud) on myself at any given time.. Topped up at a 7-11 atm when that dipped too low. You don't want to find something amazing, trek for an hour to find an atm and then not be able to find it again.

>> No.9856100

>>9856095
You accidentally did a kelly eden on your exchange rate there

>> No.9856103

>>9856090
I'm not about to claim there's only one definition to a term that's very widely used, that's dumb. Just pointing out the meaning it usually has.
You can say that normie H&M fashion in Japan also falls under "Japanese fashion" and you wouldn't be wrong if you interpret the term literally, but that's not what it usually refers to.

>> No.9856117

>>9856103
Why are you arguing this then when you're saying in your posts that i'm technically correct? this is next level autism.

>> No.9856123

>>9856117
Because that's not what anon was talking about, and in this context you're wrong. Please stop trolling.

>> No.9856179

>>9856085
I regularly carry $500+

>> No.9856219

>>9854201
Seconding other anons, you need to wear a long top over it or dress. I've worn leggings in Japan with a long, loose top that reached mid-thigh and received a lot more male attention and compliments than necessary. If you're obviously foreign or have nice legs, don't be surprised if it happens to you too.

>>9855797
What exactly are you looking for? Japanese jackets with Asian motifs? Office wear-kei? They have a lot of great fashion, but if you know specifically I'll try to guide you in the right direction.

>> No.9856264

>>9854201
It's not acceptable to wear leggings without a skirt or dress anywhere in the world

>> No.9856267

>>9856264
It's acceptable in North America. Also some parts of Europe.

>> No.9856285

>>9856264

Maybe we're thinking of different things? I call yoga pants leggings, and although now I know that I should cover up my butt while wearing them they are legitimately pants.. they are in sports store across my country and you wouldn't be shilling 80 bucks for a pair of sheer material that goes under skirts and formal wear.

>> No.9856288

>>9856285
I think either they don’t know actually know what leggings are or they are meme-ing

>> No.9856302

>>9856267
As an American I disagree. I think it's always in poor taste to wear leggings as pants once you're over the age of 8. I see it a lot, but that doesn't mean it's ok. I think even if the design on the butt is intricate it shouldn't be seen in public.

>>9856285
Yoga pants are athletic pants. They're fine to wear during yoga, but not at the grocery store. I have sports bras too, but I always wear an athletic shirt over it when I exercise in public.

When you visit Japan women wear tight athletic pants too, but they also wear long work out shorts and a jacket over it. They're very modest and they'll only wear it during their sporting activity, then they change into modest normie clothes. They don't hang out in their sweaty sports clothes around town after exercising.

>> No.9856468

I just got back from a 3 week stay in Tokyo. Does anyone else have trouble trying to get rid of all their coins? I swear I have over 200 1 yen coins that I'm tempted to just bin.

>> No.9856472

>>9856468
Gift them to people who bought from you

>> No.9856473

>>9856123
But you said anon was technically right

>> No.9856498

>>9856267
>Also some parts of Europe.
I'm sure in those parts they still get judged by better dressed people

>> No.9856515

>>9856498

It's very popular and culturally accepted in North America. It's pretty much a staple for college aged women. Comfortable and extremely flattering.

I wouldn't recommend anyone going to Japan to wear them though as the fashion norms are different there.

>> No.9856520

>>9830544
I think I spent around $3k during my trip iirc.
>Plane tickets LAX->NRT: ~$850
>Hostel: ~$500 or ~$30/night. Hostels are very affordable and even cheaper than AirBnB. Not the nicest accommodations but they vary and get the job done. Ours was private room shared between friends with a private bathroom.
>Pocket wifi: $80 for two weeks but can be split between multiple people (I believe at least four people, probably more)
>~$500-600 misc ticket expenses: We bought a JR Pass for a week because we ended up taking a couple bullet trains for Kyoto/Osaka day trips. Tickets to Disneyland/Sea (we went three days) and USJ
Then about $1k on anime merch and food. Was pickier with clothing then so I didn't buy much other than a cheap shirt and jacket, but definitely spent more than a couple hundred on weeby things.

>> No.9856526

>>9856468
You're supposed to go to Daiso and spend them all on a single bag of prawn chips

>> No.9856540

>>9856468
Don't you ever try to give it back as change? If something is 888 yen for example, I just give 1008 yen, so at least I don't get any 1 yens and can get rid of mine.

>> No.9856546

>>9854201
Just wear them with a skirt/dress/shorts/whatever over it. I'm from the Netherlands, and I don't know which parts of Europe were suppose to 'accept' this type of fashion, but I find it a bit strange to wear it uncovered for 'normal' fashion.

>> No.9856882
File: 18 KB, 360x233, stock-card.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9856085

I only carried $200 tops a day for my week in Osaka. Most of the time I had probably $125 USD

Almost everywhere took card though. I barely needed the cash and used it just cause I could.
ATMs are everywhere a 7-11 is. 7-11 ATMs are international and will change to your native language as soon as you put your card in. They even have a phone for use if you get confused.

BTW, tell your bank what days you are travelling so they know and don't turn down your card cause they think it's fraud.

>> No.9857438

>>9856010
With Shibuya 109, you're going to find a lot of just trendy, young fashion. If you're looking to incorporate some interesting, but still pretty normie things into your outfit, I think you could find it there. Harajuku is a mixed bag because they have vintage, they have some hipster industrial shit (denim, plaid, knit beanies), they have all the j-fash stuff including the more goth/punk side of things, so it's worth checking out because it's quite a variety. Plus, there's fun foods to eat, so even if you don't find clothing at least you can get a snack.

>> No.9860091

Been stressing over a gift to leave the owner of our Airbnb (I know it's probably not necessary in that case, but he's been very friendly in messages and just thought it would be a nice gesture). But I think I've figured out a good one - homemade apple butter from a local farm where they grow and can it. Looks like American apple butter isn't really a thing in Japan. Is this likely a good gift? There isn't really anything special about Ohio so farm goods is what I've been falling back on.

>> No.9860107

I'm going to be there soon as well and AP hasn't released anything on their Golden Week releases, there's usually something but I'm not seeing anything grom the big brands yet. I'm excited to shop, nesting my suitcases so I can bring more back.

>> No.9860126

>>9860091
A lot of Airbnbs in Japan are cleaned by professional cleaners and your host likely won’t see the gift unless you specifically plan to meet up.

>> No.9860128

>>9860126
Eh I had a feeling it was like that, though surely he checks it out now and then to see how it's going. I'll just make sure to leave a note that it's a gift, not trash in English and Japanese, and if the owner doesn't want it hopefully the cleaning staff can at least enjoy it. I bet they work hard so they'd certainly deserve it.

>> No.9860142

>>9856515
>leggings
>flattering

they're comfortable, i'll give them that, but don't go spouting bullshit now. that material plus an unstructured tapered leg looks flattering on almost no body type

>> No.9860213

>>9860142
Why are people still talking about leggings. No one in Japan cares and if you walk around in leggings you will not be the worst dressed tourists. Just wear what you want, it does not matter.

>> No.9860481

>>9860142

They are though? They keep your butt and thighs fitted while outlining your figure and tucks in your tummy for an even flatter stomach. Just don't get ones with low quality and non-squat proof materials or the ones made of spandex (because sometimes they outline a persons cellulite but are more breathable) and leggings are really flattering unless you're a fatty but then again nothing will look flattering at that point

>> No.9861244

>>9829941
>implying your white piggu ass will fit in japanese clothes

>> No.9861422

>>9861244

I feel like the only problem white people have when finding clothing is maybe with the shoulders since Asians have smaller frames as well as the height. Besides that if you're an xs or s everythihg will be at your disposal

>> No.9861495

>>9830544
Just got back from a 2 week vacation and these were my expenses
>Plane LAX->NRT: $450
>Airbnb: $40/night
>7-Day JR Pass: $269 (if you buy this, check when the yen is getting weaker to get a better deal, last time I paid $240)
>Transit: ~$130
>Spending money: $900
I don't shop much but the spending money included food (I also got $200 Kobe beef), gifts for friends and family, USJ, and some clothes shopping.

>>9855797
What is your style anon? imo I don't think shopping is a waste of time because there are various styles in Japan that you're bound to find something you like.

Also, I haven't seen this mentioned before but if you're a seamstress/cosplayer/or just like making your own stuff, you should definitely check out Yuzawaya! It's a fabric/craft store that has multiple floors for different hobbies. They even have a cosplay floor with wigs, cosplay makeup, fabric/notions unique to cosplays, and much more!

>> No.9862658

>>9854187
Tokyo:
>Candye Syrup Shimokitazawa
>Village Vanguard
Osaka:
>Fickle Wish
>Tenten
You’ll find indie artist goods in all of these shops including sweaters and legwear.

>> No.9862702

>>9856010
>>9857438

Different anon. Adding onto this, Harajuku is becoming less of a youth fashion area lately, especially with gentrification occurring in the neighborhood. Takeshita Dori might not be up your alley, but it's not like it's a long walk either. Laforet has more normie stuff upstairs (Lolita is in the basement) and there's Tokyu plaza. Upscale shopping is further down in omotesando. Cat street is cool too.

If you're into vintage shopping, then Shimokitazawa might be of interest, and also seconding department stores in general.

>> No.9862823

Hey everyone, I'm going to Tokyo for the Bunka Gakuen Fashion Festival on November. It's also my very first time going out of my country and flying, since I'll be going to a lot of fashion stuff and to display my own designs I'm worried about the weight of my suitcases, any tips? Help? How to stay fashionable when you only have limited space and also many makeup to travel with?

Also, any tips for attending to some underground idol lives? I have no idea on where to start since I'm only recently getting into idols, any idols at all would be the best thing ever.

Thank you in advance.

>> No.9863207

>>9861495
Why not just buy a pasmo and refill as you spend?

Also how TF did you get such a cheap plane ticket?

I do delta business class and my shit always comes in at $1900-ish.

Transit is generally cheaper since I have family and we leave a car in Yokohama but he pay ways can get pricey

Also unless you were in the Kobe region you bought wagyu beef even in japan

>> No.9863210

Also why are you airbnb'ing in japan?

You can go to hotel mystays and get a 2 twin bed "deluxe" room for only like $250/night and it's like the size of a motel 6 room to yourself.

No point in living in someone's mansion closet

>> No.9863214

>>9863210
>You can go to hotel mystays and get a 2 twin bed "deluxe" room for only like $250/night and it's like the size of a motel 6 room to yourself.
Why the fuck are you spending that much for a room you're ideally only going to sleep in?

>> No.9863215

>>9842333
You'll spend more money riding the train back and forth looking for op shops than just going online to buy shit.

I'm a guy but like nearly every bookoff has women's clothes

You can probably find something in your day to day travels

>> No.9863216

>>9863214
Because you can sleep in a real bed, watch TV, actually put your suitcase somewhere where you can't reach it from your bed.

And also because I personally don't pay for the rooms my aunt or uncle tend to book my rooms and give me spending cash for food and gifts

>> No.9863263

>>9863210
>>9863216
Because you can get a much cheaper room? Are you retarded? Not everyone has their family paying for their rooms. Go away.

>> No.9863269

>>9863210
>>9863216
Because you can air bnb for a week for the same price as one night in that hotel. We're not all 15 with relatives that change our diapers and give us allowances.

>>9863215
You're thinking of Mode Off

>>9842333
I think theres a literal bodyline store in harajuku, but i dont wear lolita so your milage may vary

>> No.9863316

I'm getting a little stressed over how to get the best bang for my buck, am I probably better off exchanging money here in the US with my bank or exchanging at a 7-11 ATM when I get there? Is there a way to look up ATM exchange rates? I've asked around local banks but just don't know how it compares to in Japan.

Also, does anyone know if the yen gets weaker or stronger during golden week? I need to exchange my money asap if USD will be worth less soon and I leave May 12.

>> No.9863330

>>9863316
The ATM's use some weird institutional exchange rate thats actually pretty fair. There is also a money counter in the narita airport that gives pretty decent rates too. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

>> No.9863381

>>9863316
Rates in Japan are better than abroad, so you can wait until you get to an atm in Japan but don't leave the airport unless you get cash because a lot of stuff in Japan is cash only. And no, exchange rates don't change for golden week, do you even economics?

>> No.9863667

>>9863210
Because people want to spend that money actually enjoying Japan, you know, buying brand and merch, seeing stuff, experiencing and eating instead of molding in a 250/night hotel room...?

>> No.9864387

>>9863210
>>9863667
I paid $48 AUD a night for a full apartment a 15min walk from Shibuya station. It had two full-sized double European beds, a kitchen, huge tv and sofa, and separate rooms for the bathroom/toilet/laundry.

I don't understand the idea people have that Airbnb is always just someone's spare room.

>It's actually really nice towards the end of your stay to just chill out watching tv you can't understand and eating Familymart snacks.

>> No.9864525
File: 125 KB, 1024x683, 1506ceae-698c-427f-9228-cf9882306790.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Agreed! It's just a place to sleep and I would rather do Airbnb since these places are still usually pretty nice and a few days to a week is the price of a night or two in a hotel. I'm paying for myself so I'd rather spend my money on merch and food. Since it's Japan these places are still very clean and well-kept and not always that tiny, so I see no point in getting a hotel.

>> No.9864660

>>9863210
because for $70 USD a night i got a 2 br 1 bath and kitchen apartment 5 minutes away from a main stop on the Yamanote

but have fun paying $250 for motel 6 quality. you do you.

>> No.9864714

>>9863207
I got a 7-day JR pass for my first week because I was traveling up and down the country and then I used Suica for my second week. I forgot that I put $130 on my card but I used the vending machines a lot with it lol. And yup, I went to Kobe for the beef.

I got really lucky with the tickets. My friend saw one of those FB ads that advertise $400 trips to Japan and immediately notified me.

>> No.9866822

>>9863207
>cheap tickets
>business class
There’s your problem.

>> No.9866902
File: 274 KB, 500x529, Always-Are You Retarded.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9863210
>only like $250/night

>> No.9866926

I'll be travelling to Japan for a month, and I have no idea on how to go about with internet on my phone. Does anyone have some tips that they could please swing my way? Like if it's better to get a sim card at the airport or rent something?

>> No.9866995

Has anyone cosplayed at a Japanese convention? There were some conventions that I was hoping to attend and apparently one rule they have is that you have to change at the convention itself.

>> No.9867000

>>9866995
You do, but you can go with smaller things like contacts already in place. The changing rooms are basically just two huge rooms with squares drawn in - go into the one for your sex, pick a square to put your stuff down in and change away. When you're done, you will probably will want to get a bag check ticket to leave your luggage with them (smaller bags are ok to carry around).
Photos can only be taken in a designated area, but you can cosplay anywhere in the event - personally, I had a lot of fun because it was a canon specific event and the character I picked is a foreigner himself, so I got lots of "ohhh you look like xxx-sama!"

>> No.9867083

Going in October. Does Baby usually have some Usakumya in stock? I’d really like to pick one up.

>> No.9867226

>>9866926
There are two ways to go, with either a dedicated pocket wifi or a data sim card. The pocket wifi is way more expensive, but they'll often offer unlimited access for a given period of time and your phone doesnt have to be compatible with japanese cell towers. You can buy data only sim cards by the gigabyte at a kiosk in narita. They're pretty decently priced too, but you need to make sure your phone can actually use japanese 4g frequencies. I personally go with data sims based on price alone and the fact that I'm not carrying and charging another deivce. If you were in a group though you could all share a single pocket wifi, so it might make a lot more sense than all getting your own sim card.

>> No.9867573

>>9854187
>>9862658
I've seen some menhera chan merch in Nakano Broadway, although I don't remember the shop name or #, sorry

>>9866926
I was told there were sim cards for tourists at Bic Camera

>> No.9868169

>>9866926
Pocket wifis may not actually be unlimited depending on the company/plan you pick; most have a limit per day. Sim cards also usually have daily limits, that are usually lower

>>9867083
The online shop seems to have stock and I think they had some in-store when I went, but I'm not 100% sure

>> No.9868176

>>9866926
I got a pocket wifi from cd japan for $60 for two weeks and it worked out pretty well. The daily limit was low but it continued to work at a slower speed once the limit was passed (no penalty or anything).

>> No.9868355

>>9867083
Different anon, but I went to the Harajuku shop and saw a few there. Mostly pochettes though. Barely (bearly) saw any at the LaForet shop tho

>> No.9868601

>>9868169
>>9868355
Thanks

>> No.9869394

>>9829941
Is there a gull awake who can tell me the difference between the Tokyo Closet Child shops and which one to go to for Lolita fashion?

>> No.9869439
File: 48 KB, 750x500, 57d73cbc077dcc1c008b5501-750-500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9866926
>I have no idea on how to go about with internet on my phone.

Read this: https://tokyocheapo.com/business/internet/prepaid-cheap-japan-sim-card-options/

I went with the Mobal sim card cause I have an unlocked phone and I was going to rely on it for navigation and pretty much everything.

It cost like $65 with 7 gigs of data that I didn't even get close to using all of it for the week I was there and I used my phone non stop. I think I got close to maybe one gig used.

It also has unlimited free incoming calls & texts. But I didn't even use text more than a couple times. I stuck to google hangouts for calls and text to keep it free for me to call and text out.

It worked beautifully and I had not one connection issue, even while I was on trains and traveling fast. Didn't have to check the battery of anything else either.
In fact since my phone has a removable battery I bought 2 extra batteries so I could go on and on all day without worrying about it. I just charged them all in a charger at night.

Since you are staying a month yours will cost around $80USD

>> No.9869568

>>9869394
I'm currently in Tokyo. Just visited Harajuku & Ikebukuro, and heading to Shinjuku's soon. So far:

>Ikebukuro
Tiny selection of Lolita brands. Selection split among Lolita, otome/normie stuff/goth brands. Don't really recommend unless you want something to do in the area and into vkei band merch

>Harajuku:
Much bigger selection, nice selection, especially for sweet lolita. Seems to have a lot of new stuff, like the Misty cloud purse. also seems to have the highest product turnover

I'll let you know about the shinjuku shop in a few hours. Be sure you're wearing a cotton top because the shopkeeper wasn't sure about letting me try on a jsk since I had on a chiffon blouse.

>> No.9869616

>>9869568
Shinjuku cc is the smallest location. I prefer it over the ikebukuro location due to better organization, even though I didn't see a lot that I liked. Lots of skirts and the shopkeeper was probably the nicest of three shops.

>> No.9870530

>>9863210
kek'd

>> No.9870839

>>9869616
Adding on: if you're into otome brands, go to Grand Bazaar in shimokitazawa. Ignore the reviews, the selection is excellent and the normie stuff downstairs is just as interesting imo.

>> No.9872703
File: 26 KB, 272x400, yryryr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been lurking the oldschool threads for a while, does anyone know the best place to pick up more oldschool lolita stuff? I'm especially after cutsews - they don't even have to be from a lolita brand, just any cutsew with a design that could work with goth or punk lolita.

Failing that, stuff with omocat type designs?