[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 849 KB, 1280x1870, wash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9782886 No.9782886 [Reply] [Original]

general washing brand thread
>how often do you clean your dresses?
>preferred methods for cleaning brand
>washing stories, have you ever ruined a dress? or received a ruined dress from a bad wash?

how do you gulls wash dresses with red prints? Any tricks to ensure it won't bleed?

>> No.9782887

>>9782886
>>how often do you clean your dresses?
After I've worn it twice
>>preferred methods for cleaning brand
Washing machine
>>washing stories, have you ever ruined a dress? or received a ruined dress from a bad wash?
My boyfriend ruined one if my dresses when he ironed it

>> No.9782888

If it looks sturdy then I just throw it in the wash cold, hang dry. If it looks delicate I hand wash and hang dry. If it looks like it needs special attention then I send it to the dry cleaners. For stains I spot wash sometimes with oxyclean

>> No.9782914

>>9782886
one wear for OPs unless i didn't sweat at all once/used the armpit guard, usually two wears for JSK unless it was a really hot day (yes i've sweated through my blouse, no its not kawaii).
washing machine/handwash
>washing stories, have you ever ruined a dress? or received a ruined dress from a bad wash?
nope, thankfully none of those! one of my most prized (red) dresses ran a teeeeeny tiny bit when i handwashed it though and i freaked the fuck out. i had tested waist ties as well as under the armpits so the bleed must be really unnoticeable unless the whole dress is submerged and there's enough pigment released to be seen. next time i wash it if it bleeds again i'll maybe consider dry cleaning it, i really dont want the print to fade.

>> No.9782917

I'll spot wash any obvious marks, most of my wardrobe is dark colours though so it can be thrown in the washing machine on a cold gentle cycle in the wash bag.
See above. Hand wash only if delicate or spot wash. Velveteen gets spot washed generally
Yeah I received the white colourway of milky berry with bleeding red spots. Attempted to get the red spots out but it never worked
>how do you gulls wash dresses with red prints? Any tricks to ensure it won't bleed?
No tricks here I'm afraid - if I buy red printed items it's usually red-on-black or mostly-red so bleeding doesn't affect the print.

>> No.9782954

>>9782886
What is this page from?

>> No.9782965

After wearing it 2x.
I bring my prints and velveteen to the dry cleaners, solids, cotton, non delicate items go in the washing machine and chiffon blouses and other delicates I wash by hand.
I received a velveteen dress that wasn't taken care of properly, and also 2 stained dresses from people that didn't inform me regarding the stains.
Brought the stained dresses to the dry cleaners but they couldn't get the stains out.

>> No.9782967

Anyone have advice on how to keep dye from a red jsk from rubbing off on an off-white blouse? I'm aware red is the least colorfast out of all dye colors

>> No.9782973

>>9782967
Wash the dress with Retayne. Dharma carries it.

>> No.9782979

Oh thank god for this thread.

Anyone have experience dumping fancy hospital in the washing machine (delicate cycle, of course)? I have it in white.
I'm very very bad with hand washing but I will do it with last resort.

>wear dress to con
>spill coffee on it
>no problem, tide-to-go pen, gets rid of all the stains
>forget about the dress, sit in closet for like 5 months
>recently look at it again
>coffee stain still on it somewhere

What the fuck do I do?
It's very faint which is why I didn't notice until now.
I'm so anxious about the stain that I don't even want to look at the dress, let alone wash it because it makes me so upset.
It's been so long so I'm worried that the stain set in.

>> No.9782990

>>9782887
How was it ruined?

>> No.9783055

>>9782979
Isn't that dress made of polyester? It should come right out. Throw it in a delicates bag in the wash anon.

>> No.9783113

>>9782990
Different anon, but you could melt tulle lace and polyester, or burn fabric if the iron is too hot.

>> No.9783144

>>9782886
When they need it. I also spot clean dresses often, with a little detergent for fine fabrics (diluted ofc) and water.
I follow the label. If it says dry clean, I have it dry cleaned, and if it can stand water, I hand wash it. I haven't had any bad experiences spot cleaning dry clean only dresses though.
Thankfully no bad stories! But I did have one dress that came with undisclosed stains, and was delightfully surprised when they came out easily.

>> No.9787005

Does anyone know how to remove pin holes from polyester?

>> No.9787022

I always hand wash cold, never had any issues. I don't buy things that require dry cleaning (velvet, etc).
My least favorite items to wash are anything that is cotton and ruffly because it is a huge pain in the ass to iron after it dries (I should probably get a steamer soon).

>> No.9787041

>>9787022

Somewhat on a tangent, the number of times I've seen people recommend to machine wash Holy Lantern is kind of worrying. Surely water weakens the glue that holds the flocking together? It might not fall apart the first two or ten times you wash it, but years later we might be seeing balding HL dresses being sold on LM when the glue finally gives up. Anybody with better knowledge want to chime in? How many times can we wash these before the glue gives out?

I'm kind of glad I got mine firsthand, at least I don't have to worry about how the previous girl washed it.

>> No.9787046

>>9787041
every time i ask how people wash their HL i never get an actual answer

i am convinced that most people don't wash their holy lanterns for this reason

>> No.9787059

Every couple wears or as needed. Blouses are every time.
Handwash cold with oxyclean and mild detergent unless it's sturdy poly or cotton and can go for a delicate wash on cold. Blouses soak in lukewarm water with oxyclean. Spot clean velveteens and other delicates.
Caused some awful color bleed on a Meta piece, still working on cleaning that mess up.

>>9787005
Steaming should help that.

>>9787041
Also curious about this. I own a few flocked pieces that I've just been spot cleaning or washing unflocked parts but I'd love to know if dry cleaning is more appropriate than handwashing. I don't wear them as often as I would like because of difficulty cleaning.

>> No.9787080

>>9787046
>>9787059

Ah. I'm >>9787041 and I dry-clean mine. Try to ask what solvents your shop is using, the petroleum-based solvent (PCE) is harsher and the care label says to avoid that solvent.

I do agree, I rarely wear it because of the trouble in cleaning it. Think it's only been worn twice in the year+ that I've owned it. I have three or four dresses that are flocked and usually save them for special occassions. Dry-cleaning service isn't expensive in my country, though, like maybe $2-$5.

>> No.9787132

>>9787041
I cold machine wash on the short gentle cycle in a washbag, but I bought it to just wear and if it gives out in a few years, so be it.

>> No.9787761

How often is it recommended that JSKs be washed considering they never directly touch your skin? Also, how often if they are only worn for short periods at time?

I generally wear mine for a couple of hours when I go out and I don't wear them anywhere particularly dirty, mostly my friends houses (they are neat) or to nice cafe. I always make sure to not sit/lean against anything icky too.

They always smell good (I keep a super clean home that smells fresh) and they never look dirty, so I am at a bit of a loss. I have mostly pastel AP prints, many with glitter.

>> No.9787775

Depends on the weather. If it’s the summertime I clean my dresses immediately after use. I’m just an unfortunate female who sweats like a dude, and I ain’t even a fatty. Spring, fall, and winter: every two or three wears.
I hand wash the lining on my dresses if there aren’t any stains or major BO. Stained dresses get thrown in the wash on a gentle cycle. All my basics go in the wash. To get rid of sweat smells/stains I use a plant based stain remover.

>> No.9789398

>>9787761
people are gonna get pissy about this, but I only wash when needed too.

If it doesn't smell & has no spots why do you need to? I wash jsks every 2-4 times generally. But if i wore it for 3 hours out to do one errand? Nah.
OPs I wash every time or every second time, again, if it was a short amount of time why bother?

>> No.9789399

>>9782886
What's the best way to get armpit stains out? I have an old mam blouse that came with some staining, but then one day i used the wrong deodorant or something and made it super worse. Any tips?

>> No.9789403

>>9789398
I agree anon. I wash my blouses every wear because they get so much dirtier but dresses I would say I wash every 2-4 times and sort of just "as needed."

I own 3 dresses I've never washed though because I'm low-key terrified. 2 are with reds and one is with flocking. Because of this I rarely wear them... If I get desperate I'll either dry clean or just try to spot clean as best I can
>AaTP Rosy Night Masquerade in the red colorway
>AP Milky Berry
>AP Holy Lantern
>rip.jpg

>>9789399
The best luck ive had is with a solution similar to this
https://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/How-Remove-Sweat-Stains-31003483
Ive also used an old toothbrush to help rub in the paste onto the stain. Worked fantastic for me

>> No.9789536

I find myself spot cleaning my jsks, I only dry cleaned one from btssb that had a pretty bad stain from the previous owner. I handwash blouses literally everytime that I wear them, but as for main pieces I just hang them close to a window (during the night so it won’t fade from the sunlight) to let the fabric breathe, then I store them in my wardrobe in a plastic cover. Reading that some of you wash jsks after 2x uses makes me question myself lmao

>> No.9789547

>>9789398
>>9789403
>>9789536
I also agree with you gulls. I only wash if it's necessary and I like to spot clean. It's unnecessary to wash the entire garment when it's not dirty, it just adds extra wear and tear and harms the environment (because let's face it, most modern dresses are polyester). Blouses I wash as needed (which if they are polyester, it's after every wear), but I place then in a garment bag to help reduce microfiber release.

>> No.9789678

I have a recent AP polyester dress that needs washing and I'm thinking of hand washing it in cold water with a bit of detergent then gently spin drying it and laying it flat. It should be fine, right? (It's pastel, so I don't think there'll be color bleeding)

>> No.9789682
File: 8 KB, 184x274, download (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9789536
Jsks don't have any direct skin contact, so as long as your general environment isn't dirty or dusty it's not necessary to do it all the time. I use public transport, so I wash very often, but I only wear cotton solids.

A big thing I notice people miss is shoes, clean off your shoes after you wear them, even pleather will rot with dirt and road salt. It's also very satisfying to clean and condition leather.

>Have you ruined brand?
Not brand but I got a pic related a couple years ago while I was still living with my parents. My mom had dyed a couple pairs of her navy blue pants and my dress got mixed up with the freshly dyed laundry. Luckily when the dye transferred it did very evenly, and the bow was unattached so now it just has a pale baby blue collar and is still wearable.

>> No.9789689

>>9787761
It depends. Aside from the obvious spot cleaning anything that you can see, it's often activity and season dependent. If it's warm and I've sweated enough to make my blouse armpits damp, I'll generally clean the pit area of the jsk even if it's dry/not smelly. If I've taken gross public transport/gone to an outdoor meetup/brushed against a lot of public stuff that might be dirty even if there isn't visible dirt, it'll get washed. If it's just errands and I'm in my own car + walking around shops and not touching anything in an air con mall, then no need to wash.

>> No.9792071

>>9789678
Reporting back from having washed the dress and it came out perfectly. I was a little bit worried because there was a water stain before I washed it but it's gone now.

>> No.9792320

Anyone have advice on how to wash an usakuma?

>> No.9792468

>>9782979
I have it in white too but I've never stained it...I machine wash with no issue... sorry about your luck.

>> No.9792509

I only wash them whenever it looks like it needs it.

I just throw anything not velvet into the washer. I put in a few color catcher sheets to catch any possible lose dyes and do delicate cycle and it works fine.

I ruined a dress once but was able to save it. I washed it like normal cause I was dumb, and the black bled onto the white and turned it pink. Researched online how people get color bleeds out of fabric and saw people mentioning Oxi-Clean and color catcher sheet combos. Tried it, and after 2 washes all the color bleed was gone.

I now never wash my dresses without color catcher sheets.

>> No.9792649

I have a question about dry cleaning. I own a few ap dresses that I've handwashed gently in cold/ lukewarm water, including dolly dot once (the flocking was fine) but I also have antique chocolaterie in red and twinkle sky which I haven't worn yet because I want to minimize colour bleeding/ glitter loss when cleaning them after.

So in future I want to take all my more delicate dresses to dry cleaners instead, however the tags just say 'suitable for use with petroleum cleaners', and the majority of dry cleaners I think use the 'perc' solution.

Does anybody use dry cleaners who use solvents other than the petroleum based one and have had their dresses come out fine?
I'm worried about it causing more damage than handwashing would.

>> No.9792730

>>9792320
Spot cleaning. I have one that has red ribbon on it and it bleeds like crazy

>> No.9792737

>>9787046
I handwash my hl in cold water with a tiny bit of detergent. The dress may not stay perfect with time and I'm okay with that; I own the clothes for pleasure and don't typically resell.

>> No.9794214

So I have Princess Cat in lavender and I have what looks to be a chocolate mark on the arm. Any clue on how to get it out? The label says dry clean only but I don't trust dry cleaners..

>> No.9794300

>>9794214
Is it polyester? If not then you want to get rid of the mark before it stains. I would suggest spot cleaning with a little bit of cold water and detergent.

>> No.9794307
File: 10 KB, 247x248, 1512115658917.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9782886
Am I handwashing my dresses wrong?
I put them in the detergent mix, get them out, then shower them to remove the detergent. That's how my mother showed me.
But apparently you're not supposed to do like this?

>> No.9794310

Kinda piggybacking on this >>9794307, sorry anon,
But can anyone explain the 4th point under hand washing?
>To protect the garment, only dry it shortly (within 30 seconds)
What does this mean?

>> No.9794318

>>9794307
I'm sure that there was something lost in translation here because there is no way that handwashing something correctly involves not washing the detergent out of clothing before drying.

Your routine seems fine, I do something similar and I haven't noticed any issues:
1. Put clothing in detergent mix
2. Agitate gently
3. Leave for a few minutes or longer depending on if there's Oxiclean involved
4. Rinse clothing 2-3 times
5. Hang or flat dry

>> No.9794320

>>9794310
I guess it means that you won't twist the garment for too long when you get rid of soaking water

>>9794318
do you sometimes handwash several pieces of clothing at the same time? is it safe if the fabrics don't bleed? i only do this for solid pieces of the same color (ex: 2 black blouses) to save time

>> No.9794325

>>9794320
Ah that makes sense, thanks, anon!

>> No.9794358

>>9794320
I can't really comment on bleeding unfortunately. My wardrobe is almost exclusively light-colour solids and the only things I hand wash in bulk is blouses and they're literally all ivory. I haven't noticed any bleeding for the things I have washed though, if that helps at all.

>> No.9794379

>>9792468
>>9783055
I machine washed it last night and it's all gone!!
Thank you so much!

>> No.9794504

Not really washing but more steaming-- how on earth do I get rid of wrinkles on my Holy lantern OP? I'm afraid of fucking up the flocking...

>> No.9797660

How does everyone store their petticoats? I just washed mine and they came out extra poofed, and I don't want that poof to die out early. I hear hanging them in your closet tends to make them flatten out, but I'm afraid wadding them up and storing them that way will smush them flat.

>> No.9797662

>>9797660
if you wad them up and jam it into lil baggies they actually get more wrinkly when you take it back out, and the wrinkles & kinks makes it super floofy I find.

>> No.9797733

>>9789403
milky berry definitely runs
mine ran but I bought it pre-fucked up so whatever
>have freshly picked strawberries and I'm terrified to wash it even though I have color catchers

>> No.9797748

>>9797733

Milky Berry had a batch that was recalled from the Japanese market because the red ink ran pretty badly. However, whatever made it out to the international market may have been overlooked or could not be recalled, AP was using a different international webshop at that time.

Other red prints should be fine, and even with Milky Berry, over half the ones out there should be fine as well, it's just whatever was left of that one faulty batch that for some reason was never returned to AP.

>> No.9797755
File: 25 KB, 225x300, 191deede-ccbb-502c-b5f0-4c100b316581_thumb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone own this jsk? Or anything similar? I'm terrified to Wash it, it's Brand New and im scared the Colors Will bleed

>> No.9797771

>>9797748
I'm pretty sure some of the Japanese girls didn't get theirs back to AP given the number of stained ones I've seen pop up second hand

>> No.9802312

>>9794307

Depends on what you mean by "shower". The image shows the item submerged in a tub, and point no. (3) basically means "replace the detergent mix" **with plain water** to remove the soap. Fabric can absorb a lot of water, and most of the fabric is in the skirt. So if by "shower" you mean you hang up the dress in your shower and pour running water over it, that means the skirt gets really heavy when it's waterlogged and this puts extra stress on the shoulder/sleeves. Leave the dress in the washing tub, and change the water from detergent mix to clean water instead, don't hang a heavy, waterlogged wet dress up.

>> No.9802587

How do you guys wash petticoats? Hand wash? do you put them in the dryer or let them hang dry?

>> No.9802591

>>9797755
Most lolita dresses require dry cleaning

>> No.9802595

>>9802591
This is not even remotely correct. In fact, many lolita dresses are ruined by dry cleaning. If you are concerned, wash it by hand.

>> No.9802599

>>9802587
Hand wash or in lingerie bag on delegate cycle. I only put bedding and towels in the drier. I live in a dry place so it never takes long to try even heavy items.

>> No.9803127

>>9802587
I wash them on delicate in a lingerie bag and hang dry them. Then I put my organza ones on a yoga ball and starch each layer. I don't wash them very often though, since there's no skin or outside contact.

>> No.9803195

Are tide pens safe to use for removing tiny stains on brand? There's a very small spot on my AP Charlotte's Bear (polyester), which didn't come out with spot cleaning. It also did not come out when I took it for dry cleaning once. It's not from me, it was there from the seller unfortunately.

I want to try a tide pen but I have never used one before.

If anyone who has experience with this could help I'd appreciate it!

>> No.9803214

>>9803195
Yes tide pens are my life saver.
But if it can't come off with proper cleaning I don't know if it'll come off with a pen. They're supposed to be used on fresher stains.
I don't think it hurts to try especially on charlotte's bear.
Sometimes with a tide pen there is a bit of a residue which just rinses out with cold water. You should have no problems even just throwing charlottes bear into a washing machine probably.

>> No.9803245

>>9803214
Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try. It's small so it's not very noticeable anyway, but I still hate it when seller's don't properly disclose everything.

>> No.9803254

>>9802587

Same as others, washing machine etc.

Wanted to add that I dry them flat on a laundry rack. I suppose they're fine to hang dry upside down/inside out, but I'd avoid hanging them the right way up as gravity and water will pull the layers downwards, possibly eating away at its poofiness.

>> No.9808139

How should I wash an IW Millefeuille bolero? I bought one off yahoo auctions recently and it arrived smelling like pits.

>> No.9808209

>>9808139
What color?

>> No.9808238

>>9794504
steam from the underside. while it's inside out, pin the lining up and gently steam the skirt layer. should get the wrinkles out without messing with the flocking, since you are not directly steaming the raised velvet head on.

>> No.9808704

>>9808209
Ivory

>> No.9809091

>>9808139

You can wash them by putting them in a lingerie bag and throwing it in the washing machine. They're quite hardy.

I don't know about removing the pit smell though. Maybe try washing it first and come back for more help if that doesn't remove the stink.

>> No.9809135

I recently got a dress from closet child with some stains in the skirt, I washed it and didn't come out, tried oxi too but it didn't do anything.

any tip for difficult stains will be really appreciated

>> No.9809173

>>9809135
Material?
Color/print?
Type of stain?
How did you wash and oxi?

As a general note for everyone, it's good to list all of these things when you're asking for laundering/stain help.

>> No.9809951
File: 5 KB, 225x225, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wash my jumperskirts, OPs, skirts, and nice blouses by hand in a big bucket with lingerie detergent. (For new items, I'll wash something removable off the piece with a white normie sock to make sure it doesn't run.) Then I usually ball them up and run them under the bath tap to rinse, but I think I'm just gonna get another bucket. After that I either hang things up to dry, hang them over the stair railing, or lay them flat to dry on a thick towel on our guest bed.

I wash my socks, cutsews, and cheap blouses in a padded lingerie bag in the washer on a cool, regular cycle, with normal laundry detergent. Bloomers tend to just get tossed in the washer. Everything gets hung up to dry.

I don't think I've ever used an iron on my clothes. When I need to set pleats, I hold them down with a clothes pin at the bottom edge and steam them.

>>9802587
I put the waistband around the centre post of the washer and run a gentle cycle, then toss it in the dryer on a delicate cycle with low heat. It's polyester voile and comes out just fine. Nice and fluffy.