[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 152 KB, 400x400, 1513394246689.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9781430 No.9781430 [Reply] [Original]

>showing up to an anime convention in Western media based cosplay
WHY?

>> No.9781457

>>9781430
>Showing up to a comic-con in Eastern based media
>why????
this is how dumb you sound anon

>> No.9781459

Because generally fandoms overlap. If you're into anime you probably also like the MCU or gravity falls or Dr who or something like that. Anime con/Vidya con is more or less a gathering of nerds with a wide scope of fanbase. Now if you wore Yuri on ice cosplay to a dragon Ball z con or to invader con, those are more specific scope conventions and would probably not be as appropriate.

>> No.9781460

Because no one except filthy autists care. Cosplay is cosplay. I care a lot more about obvious thots slutting up a cosplay or cosplaying shit just for attention and popularity.

>> No.9781464

Whoa there Fun Police, take it easy.

>> No.9781474

>>9781430
>because fuck you, that's why

No but really. I don't even go to cons for the merchandise or watching anime. With the opportunity these days to watch anime, cartoons and films online through various streaming services, the main goal to visit cons in order to watch stuff, has just moved to the background. I don't buy merch either. But I fucking love cosplaying, so I cosplay a wide variety of characters across all kinds of media.

So contain your autism, thanks.

>> No.9781476

>>9781474
then kindly stop sperging out when we cosplay anime or eastern series at comic cons or ren faires if you're gonna larp or dress in western shit at our cons

>> No.9781489

>>9781476
Ren faires are different, I wouldn't cosplay at all at a ren faire. But if someone's sperging at you at a comic con then they're an idiot and you should just ignore them.

>> No.9781491

>>9781489
This.
I'd also never cosplay something non star trek at a star trek convention.

>> No.9781493

are YOU gonna fund a con specifically for all the random shit that isn't comics or anime???

>> No.9781494

>>9781476
False equivalence. Most comic-cons are pop culture conventions, not comic conventions, despite the title. They have eastern programming. They also include video games and movies and all sorts of different areas.

Cosplaying anime to a ren faire, or to an actual comic book based event is retarded. But cosplaying anime at a comic-con =/= cosplaying western shit at an anime con.

>> No.9781496

>>9781494
>false equivalence
do you even know what you're saying at this point?
do you think larp and western shit was created in a vacuum?
if you think capeshit should be allowed at anime cons, there's no way you can say that anime should be banned at comic cons without some contradictions. Same with people larping at anime cons and people cosplaying at ren fairs

>> No.9781533

>>9781496
They specifically pointed out that comiccon is a pop culture general con. There is a difference between that and a certain fandom con. If this is too much to wrap your brain around this is either a troll thread or you're retarded.

>> No.9781539

>>9781533
yeah, and how is a pop culture general convention somehow supposed to be less welcoming than a niche convention for a specific hobby?
do you have brain damage anon?

>> No.9781552

>imagine being this much of an autistic weeabo

wew lads

>> No.9781554

>>9781476
>>9781474 here, I never would or do such a thing, because hey, cosplay is fun, regardless of what and where. The ren faire thing is understandable but I will still not sperg out about it. Your life, your choice.

>> No.9781557

>>9781539
Dress as whatever you want at generic cons (anime con, comic con, Vidya con) but don't show up to a fucking Star Trek con or a Ren Faire as Sailor Moon or Char. It's not that hard of a concept. I'd give a LARPer shit for coming to a Toonami convention dressed as a fucking wizard, and I'll give you shit for showing up to Invader con as Goku.

>> No.9781559

>>9781557
it still doesn't make sense why people should be able to larp at an anime convention but not cosplay at a larp convention or whatever the fuck you faggots call them
it makes no sense, if you fucking hate anime that much don't show up to our cons.

god, are all larpfags this braindead?

>> No.9781563

>>9781533
I don't know about SDCC or NYCC but the nearest Comic cons to me are just that, conventions about comic books and the media directly related to them, eg vidya with comic characters or hollywood movies featuring comic characters. Nobody cosplays anime at them because there is an anime convention that usually happens within a month of the comic con. You do see some shit like Game of Thrones cosplays at them for some reason I can't fathom.

>> No.9781568

>>9781559
First off, I'm not a LARPer, that shits gay. Second, and follow me on this, anime cons just like comic cons are GENERAL NERD EVENTS. Most anime cons I've been too have panels and rooms that deal with multiple genres. I've seen tabletop game rooms, larping panels, how to paint models, how to build a boffer, hell even steampunk shit. Where as Ren faires etc, only have events and shit that have to do with the renisance (both real and fantasy)

Again, if it is say a sailor moon con, I don't see why anyone would show up to that dressed as someone from Yu Yu Hakusho. It's like wearing ICP makeup to a Britney Spears concert or modern day militaru equipment to a civil war reenactment.

>> No.9781580

>>9781568
>anime cons with general nerd panels
shit cons desu.
this omnicon bullshit is killing the individuality of anime cons. I'd rather see a million shit fotm cosplays than have to deal with a bunch of fucking deadpools and harleys and halo suits at every anime con i go to.
If you don't like the subject matter why even fucking go? just dress in normal clothes if you hate anime that much that you won't cosplay it, but at that point, why even go to an anime con if you just want to dress up as dva or 2b and show off your ass?

people say sexy cosplays are killing the hobby, but really, this "nerd culture" and omnicon bullshit is what's killing the individuality and leaves us just with these huge corporatized, bland events that end up just being an excuse to party.

>> No.9781583

>>9781580
I like anime and I've cosplayed as Juno from JFG, Ken from SF and Cloud from FFVII at anime cons. Am I a scumbag?

>> No.9781626

>>9781430
Because all conventions are slowly becoming "all nerd shit smushed together"-con. Anime cons have comics and video games, comic-focused cons have people at least selling anime merch, it's all started to overlap in recent years.

Personally I hate it because it waters down the experience and you get so many 12yo minecraft kids wandering around anime conventions clearly lost af

>> No.9781629

>>9781459
Everyone knows Dragonball Z though.

>> No.9781636

>tfw 2/3 if your cosplays for katsucon are western TV shows
I’ll enjoy your tears as I’m “ruining the experience of conventions” of you friendless autists

>> No.9781660

>>9781583
You’re fine, cloud and Ken are literally Japanese and anime styled than not

>> No.9781665

>>9781580
What's the use of austistically filled anime-only cons when >>9781474 explains it?

Back in the days, you'd go to an animecon to specifically watch animes that weren't easy to get or see. It was a way to see more series and meet others. Nowadays that's just no longer the thing.

Stop sperging out and being such an autist. Let people enjoy their nerdery. People like you ruin the atmosphere in cons with your "MUH ANIME" attitude.

I'll go to an anime con dressed as whatever character as I damn well please. If you can't deal with that, go cry in your bodypillow please.

>> No.9784547
File: 344 KB, 1054x1496, IMG_5055.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I posted I was gonna cosplay from Star Wars at Sakuracon. Guy asked why do that at an anime con. Posted picture related.

>> No.9784593

Autism the Thread

>> No.9784693

>>9781430
>being this much of a bitch

So I had just moved to Hawaii and Kawaii Kon was in like a month. I decided to and my two roommates tagged along. Ones a normie but super chill and the other is smol fit Asian boy who’s normie with weeb tendies. Anyway

>have plenty of costumes at this point
>Asian bro wants to cosplay
>we’re roughly the same size
>let him borrow my Harry Potter stuff
>sweater, tie, robe it’s p legit
>am kotetsu because best daddy
>normie friend is normie
>having fun at con both of us getting pics
>chubby not that cute haruhi sees me and asks for hug
>not a creeper hug so it’s fine
>unlike that obese pinkie pie at ohayocon
>after hugging me and being happy about tiger and bunny she turns to Asian friend
>suddenly serious and upset
>”um aren’t you at the wrong con for that”
>wow bitch who the fuck is you
>have a reputation for not being nice
>ask any oldfag here if they’re around
>I’m clearly about to go off on this bitch
>friends who’ve known me see me open my mouth and drag me away
I’m upset because I was going to ask her if she was in the right weight for that char.

Regardless you’re fucking autsitic for being like this.

No one gets mad at you for bringing your socially retarded ass into public and bothering people with your greasy haired, pock faced, naruto running ass, and if they do you probably deserve it.

Stop this shit and leave the counter culture alone unless they directly come at you.

>> No.9784703

>>9784693
aw man im bummed they dragged you away

Personally i dont really mind, but with anime being more popular than comics nowadays it would be nice to see more people getting into comics and cosplaying from them at comic conventions. as for gaming events, a lot of them dont have anything anime/comic related, so i dont understand why someone would cosplay anime/comic stuff, but eh, to each their own

>> No.9784883

>>9784693
Lmao this post has more autism than the people who cry about western shit at an anime convention. Bravo anon

>> No.9784899

>ITT: assholes who have never been to a convention targeted specifically for anime hobbyists with more than 65% of congoers wearing western capeshit
Must be nice not living in hell on earth.

>>9781457
That's not really dumb at all? If you went to a regular comic convention wearing a cosplay from eastern media that is not immediately recognizable to normies you will get the cold shoulder from folks that are too embarrassed to admit they don't know who you're supposed to be. And it doesn't have to be obscure shit either, I've seen normies unironically call a Naruto cosplayer Goku because they didn't know any better. There's also the whole "ew, anime? weeb" mindset that some westernfags have too, which is equally as dumb and childish if you're going to call it that.

Meanwhile the annoyance with capeshit at anime conventions is that EVERYONE knows who you're supposed to be but nobody wants to hang out with you, either because they're at the con for ESCAPISM from western media or because your costume is low effort trash you got from Spirit Halloween on a sale. It goes both ways.

>>9781629
Just because everyone knows it doesn't mean they want to see it.

>>9781474
Whoop-de-doo, good for you! But I don't want to keep seeing the same Harleys and Deadpools/lazy superhero bodysuit shit anymore. People need to knock that shit off yesterday.

>> No.9784969

>>9784899
That has less to do with eastern/western shit, and more to do with what's easy.

I'm personally tired of Naruto and the endless variations of schoolgirl cosplays. But hey, I'm not complaining because who cares?

>> No.9789165

>>9784969
I actually don't see many Naruto cosplayers anymore, as a fan of the series I miss them.

>> No.9789298
File: 8 KB, 252x200, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

showing up to an anime convention in Eastern media based cosplay based on Western culture and history

>> No.9789363

>>9781430
OP is a whiny bitch.

>> No.9789436

I had the opinion at one point that western media didn't belong at anime conventions. That was before I started cosplaying myself. Once you spend the time and money to make an amazing costume, you wear it any time you have an excuse to do so.

>> No.9789789

>>9789165
Truth is, I'm tired of anything that's overcosplayed. But that has very little to do with eastern/western. It's to do with what's easy, as I said earlier.

Yeah I cosplay western shit, I cosplay games, I cosplay (mecha) anime. But regardless of my wide spectrum of costumes, I get really fucking tired of
>Overwatch
>Jokers and harley quinns
>Schoolgirls
>Naruto
>Deadpools
>Armoured disney princesses
>Eeveelutions

And more. But at the same time I let people cosplay what they want because I know how much fun it is. I just wished people had a bit more creativity in chosen characters. And then there's this truth that >>9789436 drops.

>> No.9789793

>>9781476
Don't forget we're not a hive mind, and vica versa. Fat chance the guy you're complaining to right now about people disliking cosplay at a ren-faire is okay with it.

You're complaining about your LARP counterpart. Who's, y'know, not really in this conversation.

>> No.9789808

>>9781559
>LARP convention
If you're going to go to a LARP in a cosplay you're falling out of tone and will most likely be asked by staff to change unless the LARP specifically specifies it.
Reason for that is because a LARP and a con are two wholly different things.

>> No.9789831
File: 251 KB, 800x353, 1400303858897.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9781430
>showing up to an anime convention in Western media based cosplay
>WHY

because as someone that likes cartoons we don't get our own conventions, its either overlapped with comics or anime. even the Japs have western only cartoon conventions. it hurts.

>> No.9789858

>>9789831
Western cartoons like Homestuck, Stephen universe, etc are cancer anyway

>> No.9789874

>>9789858
>homestuck is a cartoon now
nice b8

>> No.9789885

>>9789789
Sounds more like this isn't even about people showing up at anime conventions in western media based cosplay and more about you wanting people to cosplay what you want them to.

>> No.9792090

>>9789165
>Must be nice not living in hell on earth.
I suggest you visit more cons near the midwest/southwest then, more Naruto shit than MHA or anything else actually new.

>> No.9792103

>>9784969
>>9789789
>That has less to do with eastern/western shit, and more to do with what's easy.
So you're owning up to the fact that capeshit is even less effort than weebshit? Only more reason as to why they should leave.

>Overwatch
>Jokers and harley quinns
>Deadpools
>Armoured disney princesses
I want all of this shit gone yesterday.

>school girls
>Naruto
Nothing wrong with jfash? Naruto is dying out thanks to Boruto and newer shounen anime will take its place soon.

>Eeveelutions
This is technically eastern even though it's usually plagued with western furry fandom autism that make it awful and low quality. Furries should really stick to their own conventions. This also applies to /mlp/ shit.

>>9789885
Or maybe we all attend more cons than you and get burnout based on seeing people be lazy and wear the same shit 4+ years in a row long after the charm has worn off.

>> No.9792138

>>9784899
All of this my good anon

I'm so tired of going to conventions because the only anime costumes you will ever see are Love Live from girls who never even watched the show/played the game but just thought the dresses were flashy and kawaii. I'm so fucking sick of capeshit, disney princesses, overwatch and random westshit fad of the season.

>> No.9792239

>>9792090
Yeah, I go to cons on the east coast/southeast and I see more MHA than Naruto. I used to see a lot more a few years ago, but now it's all MHA or Love Live as far as anime goes.