[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 67 KB, 630x473, aae08bf3dbe8f6f1f4ab358c23823900--cosplay-tips-cosplay-ideas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9743758 No.9743758 [Reply] [Original]

Cosplays that are clearly the character, you recognize them a mile away, just a different outfit befitting of them. AU's too.

Thoughts? And I don't mean your average closet cosplays. (purple top+green bottom+red hair=Ariel) I mean the wigs/make up/props all done to match but it's a fan/fan art take. I'm also curious as to what some anons would like to see others attempt.

>inb4 it's not a 1:1 replica!!!

>> No.9743760
File: 517 KB, 1000x1500, dsc_8409_s_by_pollypwnz-dbl0tl8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9743763

ITT: Bad cosplay by other name.

>> No.9743767

>>9743758
If it's well-made I'm usually fine with it, but in some ways I think it can be a cop out. I'd much rather see well-made canon outfits, especially for characters that have multiple outfits.

>> No.9743784

>>9743758
Pic unrelated?

>> No.9743787
File: 179 KB, 676x915, 62682590_p2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9743763
>Bad
I bet you post cosplayers for being fat/different race in bad cosplay threads too.

>>9743767
I think they're interesting but have no idea how to search for them since top results tend to lead back to 100 people in the same poses in the same ebay bought cosplays. Especially if it's a popular character.

Pixiv is a goldmine for in character alternate costumes.

>> No.9743792

They're fucking stupid and exist for lazy cosplayers who can't be bothered to make or buy an actual costume. They aren't unique, artsy, or clever. They're lazy and look like shit.

Particularly sick of seeing 'punk' sailor moon

>> No.9743800
File: 121 KB, 800x738, 39241544.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9743784
It gets the point across and from the make up, hair and usage of color it's Black Lady right off the spiked bat. Unless you have something that could actually work.

>>9743792
>can't be bothered to make or buy an actual costume
Tell that to the Overwatch cosplayers who make 10 different kinds of bikinis. Calm your salt.

>> No.9743814
File: 367 KB, 2048x1366, pwBi4I8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Speaking of Overwatch, I don't play so I have no idea if something is an in game costume or not.

Because as far as I know it has tons of costumes.

>> No.9743816

>>9743800
Non-canon bikini cosplays are the worst, second to maybe bunnysuit cosplays. Unoriginal, silly pandering.

>> No.9743818
File: 103 KB, 700x521, agqYnwn_700b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9743824

>>9743814
Junkrat and D.Va are the only decent ones.

>> No.9743839
File: 37 KB, 632x484, nami-white-suit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9743816
>silly pandering.
All I'm getting from these posts is "I hate fun." I'd like to see a reason against it that isn't just ranting and "hate hate hate!". What is the legitimate harm especially at themed cons like Colossal where you're at a waterpark. I can understand not wanting to see a 300lb landwhale in an orange bikini claiming to be Naruko. But would Naruko wear that same bikini? Probably.

But really, when everyone around someone in the alt cosplay having fun, and you're the only one bitter, I dont think their cosplay is the problem. Even their original creators/artists do it. See Nami in One Piece. Fans request all kinds of art of her from Oda in his chapter covers. Does it suddenly make it not ok to try something similar because it's not what she wears during an arc/movie (which are also non canon honestly). Or is someone's cute white dress invalid because it's not the same cut at the bottom? If anything I think coordinating an entire group makes it better because then it has its own theme.

>> No.9743846
File: 484 KB, 880x898, Zarc-nami.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's another Nami in a little white dress. You can probably go to a Frederick's of Hollywood and predict what her next movie/filler outfit will be.

>> No.9743856
File: 112 KB, 1450x675, noncanon alternate outfits.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9743861

>>9743839
You must be new here because the post you replied to is the general consensus on /cgl/. This board tends to not favor skanks who skank it up for the sake of boner pandering and likes.

>> No.9743883
File: 261 KB, 640x960, elsa_cosplay__male_version___elias____i_m_free__by_dakun93-d7atel1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9743861
>not favor skanks who skank it up for the sake of boner pandering and likes.
As far as I know it's been clit sucking asians for the sake of being kawaii uguu, shitting on anyone fat/goblin faced and then mumbling and giving no comment when someone is average/above average and does a good job because they can't find a way to insult it unless it's outright vendetta.

>Waah it's overdone!
Then post something different.
>Waaah it's slutty/skimpy
Stop slutshaming and/or post something conservative.
>Waah it's not professionally constructed for a hobby!
Then post something of higher quality. Because I sure as hell don't know where to find it and would like to see more of it but any thread with all 3 in order turn into ass pats and coddling especially when the said anon is present.

It doesn't help that when a cosplayer just so happens to have huge tits and a 8/10+ face salty anons will screech and slut shame no matter how accurate she is. /cgl/ likes to bitch and moan then goes dead silent when asked to deliver. I don't see any tits on pic related, and Elsa isn't male, so tell me how this is a skank skanking it up for boner pandering and likes.

>> No.9743993

Coming from someone who was into homestuck, AU cosplay is a hit or miss thing. It's mainly because of these reasons.
> lazy
A dumbed down version of a character's outfit. This includes swimsuits like >>9743814 where you can buy a swimsuit that looks "close enough" to the character's color scheme and call it a day. Non-customized bunny suits (aka cheap black ones you found online) also count since they're no-effort, and all you have to do is reuse the wig. Casual clothing cosplays, unless they're official outfits like >>9743839, also come off as lazy unless they're nailed perfectly, because it seems like someone just shrugged and said a character might wear a t shirt and jeans on an off day. Which is the second problem.
> Not Authentic
You can tell the cosplayer doesn't really care about the character, and just wants to say that they are a cosplayer. The colors are wrong, details are wrong, and a person who is into the franchise might do a double take wondering why someone would ever combine a certain AU or aesthetic with a character. These cosplays are the ones who slap cogs onto any character and call them "steampunk", or put the shy girl into a sexed up version of their usual clothes. It's obvious they don't actually care about the franchise or character.
> Poorly Done
My main problem with Homestuck AUs. The cosplay design is amazingly creative, yet vibes well with the character. But most of these designs require at least the same amount of skill to do a character's normal outfit, and most of the people who do AU designs do not have that skill. They go for the overdesigned, sparkly costumes (think NoFlutter) without realizing how much work they will need to put in, and by the time the con rolls around the costume is glued and taped together with cheap embellishments falling apart.

That being said, well-executed fan designs should be appreciated, they're just rare. If you're having fun, who cares what some anon thinks.

>> No.9744018

My main problem with this is that I simply cannot understand why would you go out of your way, waste (sometimes) a lot of money and a lot of time to get an inside joke costume that nobody recognizes, cares about and is not even related to your character.

I mean, if you like disney princesses and like to make armour I see that you'll make an armoured princess. But there are so many characters where you can use your talents that are already like that and I just can't see the whole point of it.

I feel that people that do this either need a lot of attention or have way too much money to spare (or maybe both)

>> No.9744024

>>9743814
>>9743824
No? The ones with the actual weapons that fit the theme (mei, junk, soldier) are way better than Dva. That Dva is one of the worst of this group.

>> No.9744110

>>9744018

Some people only want to cosplay characters that they like, or look like, or both - if you like the aesthetic of a certain genre but can't do the character from it, why not crossover. Just don't use it as an excuse to be lazy.

>> No.9744133
File: 144 KB, 960x960, 1399439129829.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9744110
Reminds me of this thread
>>9659861

Also I legitimately hate it when anons say "Just do this and this that takes years to master if you don't have a life outside cosplay and this $$$ thing!"

As someone who knows how to sew, I wouldn't tell someone to just fucking make a haute couture tier ballroom dress or waste hundreds of dollars on materials when they've never touched a needle or thread in their life. Cosplay should not be a chore or mind breaking to appease some fatties online, and I completely agree with anon here.

>>9743993
>If you're having fun, who cares what some anon thinks.

>> No.9744182

>>9743883
If you want people to deliver, don't be such an ass. I was tempted to contribute before I saw your tirade about clit sucking Asians and screeching.

>> No.9744265

I can kind of understand the bikini cosplays at collasal, but like, why not just do a Canon bikini cosplay? Like widow maker has a swimsuit skin, league Champs do, and anime characters (fate, Yoko, fairy tale, heck just replace Nami's jeans with swimsuit bottoms to match her top). Like the whole point of cosplay is to dress like the character, so maybe someone can explain uninspired original designs to me?

>> No.9744287

>>9744265
I don't understand how you think copying a canon outfit of the character is less boring and uninspired than coming up with your own outfit that is still recognizable as the character. Last I checked, it requires more creative thought to come up with something than it does to copy something. And this is coming from someone who has only ever cosplayed canon outfits.

>> No.9744314
File: 11 KB, 251x239, 1506341438272.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9743818
>posting sheena

>> No.9744371

>>9743814
the more i look at this, the worse it gets. the only redeeming thing about this is the junkrat.

>> No.9744403
File: 631 KB, 720x487, Screenshot_2018-01-07-01-05-26-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9744133
I feel like price is a factor for these alternate/non-canon cosplays. I've always seen it as a thing where someone has bits for a full cosplay but not the time or money, so they settle for something that fits the character but is better for their wallet.

I agree that it's done better with a group theme, but I've seen enough Tumblr punk Sailor Moon groups that it is boring, and honestly, usually not done well. I'll dump some of what I can find since this thread is just arguing now

>> No.9746654

>>9743814
The only good one out of all of these is the Junkrat
>That Mei is definitely a man

>> No.9747404

>>9743787
Fat cosplay is only impressive when the character being cosplayed is canon fat. There is no way a hamplanet can be aesthetically pleasing

>> No.9749552

>>9743816
Bunnysuits look fine, just because you're allergic to other girls showing more skin than you, that doesn't mean the rest of the community is.

>> No.9751671

I think it's hit or miss.

If it's done well and the person puts a lot of thought and actual effort into it, if it's something the character would actually wear, it's a lot nicer.

However, it's pretty uninspired most of the time I actually see it, or the character is stuck in something they'd never actually wear (like a shy and modest character being shoved in a too-tiny bikini), so that's disappointing.