[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 266 KB, 600x424, p3_mc_being_a_dick_as_usual.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9671435 No.9671435 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone on /cgl/ go to cons alone or is everyone here a social butterfly? Wondering how to get by and meet people with my limited social skills at a con tomorrow.

>> No.9671449

>>9671435
I try my best not to, but sometimes I do end up going alone. Two things that help me are to remember everyone there is a nerd and likely socially awkward or at least familiar with the type and to try and be the initiator because you're dealing with other socially limited people. Chat people up and invite them to things like panels or even just going to get food, and don't take it bad if they decline.
If there's a popular fandom you're into, find the photoshoot/other fan gathering and talk to people, sometimes all you need is that shared interest to get your foot in the door. Or try bringing candy (if it's allowed by the con) and offer it to people. Some will just take it and move on, but others will talk to you for a bit.
Point is, you will have to start conversations with people if you want to get anywhere.

>> No.9671450

like many other situations, if you go alone, you're likely to be alone for the duration. Meeting people/exchanging social media is a different story, its quite easy to ask for someone's cosplay page but thats sorta impersonal. Best way to meet people on a personal level is online groups for said con or going to panels/meets and talking to people there.

>> No.9671462
File: 33 KB, 480x671, 1508814438432.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9671435
Just be yourself, I'm sure they'll think you're a swell guy

>> No.9671514 [DELETED] 
File: 171 KB, 431x539, 1494482399789.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I went to college not in america, so when I came back just about all of my social circle had move don from cons or we'd fallen out of contact. So when I came back I pretty much spent a year going to cons around the country. Thankfully I have a knack for making friends pretty much every where I go so I actually had a blast.

Otherwise I kind of prefer going to cons alone. If I know a good amount of people at say, a local con. I prefer not being tied down to a partner so I can roam around as I please and move from social group to social group easily. In fact the friend I usually go with now, we get along so well because were both like that. And if I dont know any one at all then hey its just a chance to meet some new people and make more friends.

>> No.9671517
File: 171 KB, 431x539, 1494482399789.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I went to college abroad, so when I came back just about all of my social circle had moved on from cons or we'd fallen out of contact. So when I came back I pretty much spent a year going to cons around the country, I figured since I didnt know any one at my local cons anymore why not try to go to far away ones too since no matter what I was starting fresh. Thankfully I have a knack for making friends pretty much every where I go so I actually had a blast.

Otherwise I kind of prefer going to cons alone. If I know a good amount of people at say, a local con. I prefer not being tied down to a partner so I can roam around as I please and move from social group to social group easily. In fact the friend I usually go with now, we get along so well because were both like that. And if I dont know any one at all then hey its just a chance to meet some new people and make more friends.

It isnt so hard anon, in fact you have a huge leg up, almost every one is advertising something their in to based off their cosplay or key chains or whatever. Its really easy to find people with mutual interest. Some one cosplaying from something you like? Go up, tell them you like their outfit, and ask for a photo and start chatting. If they give you a bad first impression then hey no harm no foul, make up an excuse and move on. Rinse, repeat, you'll find people to make connections with. Be friendly smile and show a genuine interest and you wont have a problem making friends. Also lines are your friends. Stuck in line for a badge? Start chatting to the folks behind you or in front of you. Dealers hall lines, panel lines, all good opportunities to get to know some one new. You're all stuck there anyway and it passes the time well!

>> No.9671539

>>9671449
There's a meet for the anime I'm cosplaying a character as so I might drink a bit before heading over, then act like a dummy and see if I can wedge myself into a sub group of people there.

>> No.9671557

>>9671539
Yeah, getting a bit drunk definitely helps as an ice-breaker for me. I've had good luck just laying it all out there and asking people if I can tag along with their group to avoid being alone.

>> No.9671563

I go alone a lot because I like having my own room but a lot of times I'll just merge into someone's group and its just like well ok I'm in here now

>> No.9671581

>>9671563
Even if you have a group of friends, rooming alone (or with a partner/one best friend) is great. No reason to not have your own room if you can afford it, it doesn't stop you from throwing a party or anything like that.

>> No.9671661

>>9671435
I'm a social autist so I've never been to a con with people before. Honestly, you'll likely still have a good time by yourself because there's usually so much to see and you can be more independent. That being said, if you're actively trying to meet people, it's probably easiest to look for online meetups. Barring that, just try to initiate conversation, cons are a more easy place to do that because people tend to have similar interests so you have a point of reference.

>> No.9672711

>>9671435
I usually go with friends, but we then split up and just chat about our day back in the room later, so it's functionally the same as going alone, but cheaper.
I'm rather physically ugly (male whale), but even then people are really open if you just go up and talk with them. I met a few friends by just being in a cosplay of a series I'm into then talking with someone else who's cosplaying it after a panel or the photoshoot or something. Hell, I've even went to the /cgl/ meetups and for as catty as people can be on the board they're super nice in reality.
Basically just realize that the chance of someone being an immediate asshole is really low, swallow your fear and just start up a conversation.

>> No.9672713

I ALWAYS go alone unless it's one my sister can also go to.

Also fuck room stuffing.

>> No.9672744

>>9672713
Yeah, I get kids are trying to go to cons as cheap as possible, but I still don't understand how stuffing 8+ people into a hotel room meant for 4 got so normalized.

>> No.9672775

I've been going to cons with friends for 4 years now and more I go, less people I go with. I've noticed it's better going alone or with a second person because, from my personal experiences, going in groups can make drama and it's really not enjoyable when it happens. Overall, don't be afraid to talk with people at cons, most of them are really friendly and obviously many have the same interests as you. It's the best time to meet people and make new friends.

>> No.9672783

I've gone alone 50/50, and I like it a lot because I'm an avid panel-goer. I don't really make friends when I'm by myself, but I don't really try either. I'll chat with random people, but it'll just be a one-off conversation and we'll part ways.

>> No.9672799

I usually go alone sometimes I run into someone there and hang with them but I like being by myself

>> No.9672828

I still haven't gone to a con because I don't have any friends and I'll just end up making an ass of myself.

>> No.9672836

>>9672828
>I'll just end up making an ass of myself.
How? People don't really care. Even if you're the spergy type who literally screams and runs around like children, you won't be alone in that fact. People might roll their eyes, but they aren't going to really be surprised. They'll move on and never see you again.

>> No.9672907

>>9672836

I dunno I'm just a tard with social anxiety

>> No.9672916

>>9671435
I go alone and I don't even really want to make friends. I go to the panels I want to go to, buy whatever I want, go to a tea party if there's one (and there I try to be friendly). I like being alone at cons, it's nice.

>> No.9672934

>>9672916
It really is nice to be able to go and do whatever you want whenever you without consulting a group. I do go with friends, but we don't even really spend the day together, We split up into singles and pairs and go do whatever until we meet up for lunch and then split up again until we party together at night.

>> No.9672943

>>9672907
It's an anime convention. Most people either are socially anxious themselves or are at least familiar with people like that. And you never know how the general vibe of a con will affect you. I'm normally shy, but find myself to be very outgoing at cons anyway.

>> No.9672966

Didn't get past
>/cgl/
>social butterflies
Hahahahahahahahaha

>> No.9672997

>>9672943
I can barely go to work or the gym without sperging out, so I doubt I'd be able to handle the crowd. Thanks though.

>> No.9673013

>>9672711
There's cgl meet ups?

>> No.9673020

>>9673013
At the two major cons I go to, yeah, and I'm sure at other big ones too. Browse the con's thread during the con and you'll usually find it, plus be alerted to other cool stuff happening.

>> No.9673024

>>9673020
I'm new sorry. How do I find out about local events? I live in salt lake City and was planning to go to AX. Are there cgl meets there?

>> No.9673030

For the most part, I either go to cons alone or with my boyfriend, and even then we eventually split ways in the con since we have different interests. Honestly there's nothing wrong going to cons ago, I feel like it might even be better since you will have the day to see and enjoy the things you like. As for making friends, it's pretty easy to meet people at cons since cosplays, ita bags, lolita coordinates, etc. serve as ice breakers already. Just spot someone with a cosplay of a series you like, for example, and talk to them about that series. You will most likely end up exchanging social media and stuff if you keep the conversation going and get friendly enough.

>> No.9673034

>>9673024
Just watch for threads on /cgl/ about your con. Of AX means Anime Expo, then I'd assume there'd be one since that's a big-time con. If it's some other con, then it just depends on how many gulls go, though I wouldn't get your hopes up if it isn't relatively large.

>> No.9676310

>>9671435
If you're going alone wear a mask and, pun not intended, adopt a persona.

>> No.9676637

>>9672744
People 16-21 typically don't have much expendable income. Most money goes towards tickets, travel, food, and possibly their cosplay.

On that note OP, if you have money meeting people is easy. Show up to a party with a handle of vodka or a case of beer, guaranteed friends.

>>9672828
Like the other person said, you should feel right at home going to a con. You're surrounded by people just as spergy and socially retarded as you. The only place I feel connected to people is at a con.

>> No.9676644

>>9676637
This. One time i went last minutw to a dealers room to buy a Pokémon collab item that I was super excited about. Lo and behold it was ten bucks and I had nine cash, and the table didn’t take card. Some dude saw how excited I was I guess and he said that it was nice to see someone so happy and he bought it for me. It was really genuine so I gave him a (short) hug and we talked a little about Pokémon and stuff and it was just nice because there are a lot of people who are on the same sperg level as you