[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 772 KB, 500x500, nervous-anime-gif-1-1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9661571 No.9661571 [Reply] [Original]

Do you have any particular quirks or "autisms" when it comes to your cosplay or your coords?

>> No.9661581

I am that kind of person that doesn't cut her wigs. Fear me.

>> No.9661590

>>9661571
Nah, just the usual anxiety plus the fear of getting my dress ruined by anything.

>> No.9661592

>>9661571
I never use stretchy, shiny or very thin fabric in my cosplays unless I don't have an option (very specific prints and stuff like that). I just hate to work with it desu.

>> No.9661598

>>9661590
seconding this.

Otherwise, I can't wear velvet. I have actual autism including the whole hypersensorial shit and velvet makes me uncomfy (even though i love touching the fabric itself and the look of it i just can't wear it on my skin). That and wool are a no no.
I also always changed the lace on all of my 3 Bodyline cutsews/blouses because it was so scratchy it was unbearable.

>> No.9661603

When I buy second hand/army items that feel dirty/worn even though I know I've washed them twice

>> No.9661891

Some of my dresses and petticoats cause mild static and I have a ridiculous phobia of being shocked unexpectedly, so I waste a lot of time trying to low key tap metal objects with my fingers. Most of the conventions I attend have escalators too so I’m always afraid of being shocked by those.

>> No.9661902
File: 308 KB, 540x540, 1BCC12AE-46E1-44C1-9566-4781119D3093.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I will take probably 50 mirror pics and then spend a good amount of time narrowing down and deleting to find the perfect one to post. Same with seflies, except less time taken because I’m ugly and don’t have to compare the pics as much. Is this autistic y/n

>> No.9661904

>>9661902
I'm hideously unphotogenic so I do this too.

>> No.9661907

>>9661902
I do the same thing and it's the most infuriating thing to me. I get told that I'm pretty/beautiful all the time IRL but I've actually stumped a professional photographer when he kept trying to take a photo of me and none of them were turning out like he expected. It would be funny if it didn't make me so miserable.

>> No.9661918

>>9661571
When I buy a new dress, I try several different petticoat combinations with it and do some of them twice to find the perfect poof and shape. Then I write it down into my list.

>> No.9661919
File: 650 KB, 336x626, SSR_Trunks_Dokkan1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

for my super Saiyan trunks I can roll back my eyes so it looks like Im going super saiyan anger or whatever it was

>> No.9661969

>>9661598
I'm like this with fleece. But I literally can't touch it it makes me feel sick when I do. No other fabric just that shitty felt kind.

>> No.9661993

>>9661904
I just avoid most pictures. It feels weird watching everyone spend time taking photos. I only am in group photos, as it feels rude not to. Maybe one day I'll get over it and enjoy photos.

>> No.9662001

Whenever my petticoat starts to poke me I get this lump in my throat and feel like I'm gonna spazz the fuck out because I hate the feeling so much.

>> No.9662066

>>9661598
Same, except I hate touching a lot of velvets too. It’s a shame because I have dozens of yards of nice vintage velvet heirloomed from my mom, and I can’t bring myself to suffer through sewing/ touching it.

>> No.9662070

I can not stand crosses on lolita prints. I don't mind that others wear them, but I hate that several dresses I've adored have been ruined with crosses.
>sliver lining, I save lots of money and wardrobe space :/

>> No.9662083

>>9661902
I do the same, i'm ugly and unphotogenic.
Thank god for photoshop. Makeup can't save me. I look alright irl and in the mirror but dear god on pics I look horrible and like a ("passing,yet with one little thing wrong" tier) tranny.
>tfw got asked if i was a trap the 3/5 times i posted on the chans
it hurts. I'm small and average weight but my face fucks me up.

>> No.9662137

>>9661571
I hate hate HATE wigs so I only ever cosplay fellow blonde characters, also take every chance to try a new haircut,

>> No.9662145

If a character has bangs, I tend to cut them in the same style that looks best on me and my huge forehead every time instead of going 100% accurate.

>> No.9662188

>>9661571
I need perfect color balance every damn time. I wear lolita most days of the week but I spend an ungodly amount of time planning, moving things around, and adding new things in the name of color balance. As a result I hate when other people's colors aren't balanced but I realize it's a me thing. On the bright side, I'm really good at working with mismatched pinks now.

I have also spent hours of my free time building a repertoire of hairstyles for each kind of headwear I have. When someone's head looks unbalanced with their accessory I just wanna fix their hair. All about balance.

>> No.9662247

>>9661891
Carry some dryer sheets with you and run them over your clothes every now and then.

>> No.9662268

>>9662188
I’m the same way, but my color matching extends to my normie wardrobe as well! My mother has gotten irritated when we are trying to go somewhere together and I can’t find a jacket that matches my outfit because “it’s a jacket, it doesn’t need to match.”

>> No.9662270

>>9662137
It's pretty rare that cosplay without a wig doesn't look like shit, so I'm curious as to what yours look like now.

>> No.9662274

>>9662001
>>9661891
i'm sure you've probably considered it, but I might as well mention suggesting hoop skirts
you still need a thin petti over it, but it's probably helpful

>> No.9662277
File: 113 KB, 458x347, Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 5.14.04 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I try on all my Lolita dresses at home but never wear them out
It usually involves me putting them on and immediately taking them off because I still look bad...
>yet I still spend hundreds of dollars on them

>> No.9662289

>>9662277
Same here anon. The dresses look great, but I wish I could wear a full size face sticker all the time.

>> No.9662360
File: 354 KB, 550x528, the face.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9662070
Same. I'm an atheist raised in a starkly Christian family, and every time I see a cross or anything else religious I feel bitter disgust. It sours my mood a bit because I'm reminded of all the hateful, entitled, and hypocritical bullshit the community frequently spews. I live in midwest USA though so I'll never get away from these people. I wish this long-term obsession with ~edgy~ religious motifs (including crosses) on clothing would just die.

>> No.9662613

>>9661571
I get triggered whenever I see a coord with a neckline that's lower than the hollow of the neck

>> No.9662616

>>9661571
I'm trying to be all matchy-matchy and try to wear all-brand and still look boring. My best friend doesn't care as much about the rules and is really experimental with her outfits and always looks so interesting and stunning.

Also, I don't wear wigs, I don't like them as much. My hair is passable, but also kinda boring. All my efforts to look good are in vain, because of my boring choices.

>> No.9662619

>>9661907
Same here. I get a lot of compliments for my outfits and asian lolitas (and nail artist ladies) keep complimenting my pale skin. But it's horrible for photos. Pale skin photographs so bad, I look like a flashlight.

>> No.9662700

>>9661571

I have low self esteem, so I refuse to do a cosplay that isnt face concealing, and preferably largely body concealing too.

Summer will kill me one of these days.

>> No.9662704

>>9662360
Interestingly, although I was brought up similarly (slightly less hate, perhaps), I really enjoy wearing prints with crosses because I feel like they (and religion in general) have no power over me anymore. Wearing alternative fashion with crosses seems pleasantly sacrilegious to me.

>> No.9662711

My quirk is I'm a lazy piece of shut with poor time management and my cosplay is done at the last minute.

Tee hee

>> No.9662741

>>9662070
Same, as an ex-christian I just can't stand crosses and particularly religious stuff, all power to you if you believe that, faith is powerful shit, but as soon as you force it on me or into the stuff I like, I'm gonna hate you.

>> No.9662815

>>9661907
Honestly same (having surprised professional photographers), I've had friends that had to do a double take if it's really me in the photo even when they're the one that took it because I look so different.
But when I finally take a good photo they are almost *too* good so I don't really look like "myself". This makes me really confused when I look at myself in the mirror

>> No.9662836

>>9662741
>but as soon as you force it on me or into the stuff I like
No one's forcing you to wear them, Anon

>> No.9662911

>>9662360
I can relate. I felt the same for a long time. I didn't come from a super christian family but I was raised in the southern US surrounded by baptists. fortunately I was able to surround myself with like-minded people in adulthood, and it got easier to let go of some of the anger and bitterness. I still find religion-based stupidity irksome but it's not so bad now. I'd still be worried about wearing something with crosses on it because I'm worried normies will either think I'm blaspheming somehow and give me shit, or think I'm religious and try to get me to go to their church.

>>9661902
can relate to this too. for some reason the camera always makes my fivehead look like about a seventeenhead.

>> No.9662914

I get really obsessive and anxious about wearing the cosplays I've made at cons. There's always something I'm checking- is my wig in place, is my makeup smeared, is my bra or binder peeking out, can you see my hairline under the wig- it gets exhausting. I'm just so nervous about not noticing some flaw and then having it be really obvious in every photo I find of myself. I probably look like a narcissist when I'm checking myself out in every reflective surface, but really I'm just making sure that everything is in place.

>> No.9662938

>>9662083
This is something I don't really get. When I look into the mirror I look pretty nice, make up and hair on point but when I take a picture or someone else I suddenly look oily, dead eyes, hair is flat and oily, double chin and +10kg.
Like wtf

>> No.9662954

>>9662938
i've read a few things that say when we look in the mirror, we purposefully look at ourselves from our best angles. cameras capture us from angles that mirrors don't.

plus, anybody live and in motion will typically look better than most (unshooped) pictures of themselves. the exception is impeccably staged and flattering pictures obviously, but those are achieved with a lot of thought.

>> No.9662969

>>9662954
Also, we're used to the way we look in mirrors, which is a reversed version of our faces from front to back. It's not necessarily that you look worse in photos (which show an un-reversed image), you just don't look the way you're used to, which comes across as "bad" to you.

>> No.9663079

>super precise and super careful about one part of cosplay when I'm making it
>Completely careless and "whatever, it'll pass" about another part of the same cosplay

It's really odd, I always care a lot about some things and don't care at all about other parts.

Im also generally very autistic about detail to an insane degree

>> No.9663112

>>9661571
Does it count if I'm just so disgustingly socially inept and anxious that I may as well be literally autistic?

>> No.9663117
File: 435 KB, 677x713, kerokero.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I stand by the con exits when the con is ending so people can see my cosplay more and get photos

>> No.9663143
File: 1.21 MB, 1500x1402, fat sailor moon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9661571
I am utterly disgusted when people cosplay out of their body type. I don't give a fuck about race, but at least make an effort to resemble the character.

Like, if you're fat, don't cosplay cute, slim characters. I lose my mind when I see fat Sailor Moons or fat Chiis from Chobits. I mean, don't you see yourself?

I can even forgive that your cosplay is shitty; but don't ruin my waifus.

>> No.9663359

I insist people to take photos from certain angles so I can hide ONE SMALL LITTLE mistake.

>> No.9663376

I can get fucking autistic when people don't know poses for there characters. Bitch, if you character fights at least know a karate stance.
Or people who don't know how to stand. I used to have this problem with my first time I had pictures taken. I did research and became better.

>> No.9663388

>>9661581
I'd rather you not cut them than to do that aweful uneven choppy straight fringe cut I see all the time

So many wigs ruined

>> No.9663389

>>9662188
Me too. At meet ups I always get several compliments on my coords and I’ve apparently developed a reputation for coording well, but all I do is obsess over colour balance a bit more than others. I also get a bit annoyed with comm members who make really obvious mistakes with their colour balance that could easily be fixed. Like how hard is it to wear black shoes with that coord? Or why the hell would you wear red tights and a red blouse with a red JSK? It’s such an easy way to improve a coord but so many people don’t even try and look half-assed as a result. Maybe I should bottle my autism and sell it for these situations.

>> No.9663407

>>9663143
This was supposed to be about your cosplay, not other peoples'.

>> No.9663458

Period-styled cosplay which look nothing like period outfits. There are so many god damned resources out there today to learn about historical clothing, fabrics, construction techniques, etc. You've got no excuse.

>> No.9663646

>>9662700
this one speaks to me
I dont mind so much my body but I prefer it if the character is fully clothed or wears some kind of gender neutral attire
I just don't want my friends or someone that knows me to see me

>> No.9663688

>>9663407
Cool. Well, then I'm just here to confirm everyone's neuroses. Yes, people do see what you look like. Yes, people are judging. Stop the shit.

>> No.9663798
File: 519 KB, 3613x876, lizlisa-55.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really don't know how to react when normies and weebs call my clothing style "anime" or "lolita", so I always kind of... freeze up? Pic related is what I usually wear.

>> No.9663803

>>9663798
Honestly, I always thought Liz Lisa, Ank Rouge, Axes femme, and the like were more "animey" than lolita and some other j-fashions, because they actually look like they'd be drawn correctly in anime.

>> No.9664793

>>9663803
THIS so much. Most shoujo anime characters have worn something similar at least once. It's very toned down but it's nothing like western normie.

>> No.9664808

>>9661571
I hate cosplaying at cons. I don't get this whole craze with cons, at most you get some low quality photobombed pictures. I'd rather attend them in casual clothes and keep my cosplays for photoshoots somewhere quiet.

>> No.9664818
File: 74 KB, 960x540, 1499365804614.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm completely new at making my own cosplays, but I am am extreme perfectionist.

I hate it when I am trying to sew something and something is just the slightest bit off. For example, a sleeve. I work on it over and over again until I eventually poop myself out. I have been working on the same cosplay for months now and have made zero progress because I needed to change fabrics. I know that there are gonna be some flaws and I don't have a big workshop that I can have large machines help me with my work, but it still is a huge problem for me. Sorry, mobile poster.

>> No.9664900

>>9663388
I don't get how people just cut across and think they're done. It's not even hard to neaten bangs, you just snip perpendicular a bit or even use a fucking razor comb if you're lazy and it looks 100x better.

>> No.9664921

I always take good care of my nails and make sure they match my coord. It kills me to see the people in my comm wear such beautiful coords with ugly, uneven, unpolished shitty nails.

>> No.9665011

>>9662360
>I wish this long-term obsession with ~edgy~ religious motifs (including crosses) on clothing would just die.
It looks pretty. Sorry you're so easily triggered, but the rest of us can handle crosses just fine.

>> No.9665017

>>9664921
I 9/10 times look like trash and wesr hobo sweaters but carry a nailfile everywhere because screw ratty nails

>> No.9665420

>>9664921
Seconding this. That's the reason I'd rather never do my nails, just keep them clean. It's too high maintenance.

>> No.9665422

>>9661581
I dont cut my wigs either, I'd rather wear a fake fringe with them. That gives me more options for cosplays too instead of having to buy 2 wigs same colour same texture just because one character doesn't have a fringe.

>> No.9666330

>>9663376
>>9665420
These.

>>9665422
Interesting.

Not really a quirk or autistic trait but I'm a bit of a germaphobe. I only buy wigs new. I can't stand the thought of buying a used wig from a complete stranger, even if it's already been washed. Maybe it's considered normal since I don't want to risk getting lice or find dandruff in the wig cap. I had lice during my childhood and luckily I have a mom who knew how to get rid of them. The daily hair treatments were no fun but at least I've been lice free ever since then.

>> No.9666333

>>9664818
This is the ideal type of autism to have when you sew. It makes sure that you'll never go out looking like a shabby hobo.

>> No.9666335

>>9664808
>I don't get this whole craze with cons
I am a show-off, and cons let me show my costumes off to hundreds of people in a single day, while also getting to enjoy the con itself.

>> No.9666377

I hate the feel of organza. Had to deal with it for years with my CP petticoats. It was so hard to deal with especially with newly cut fingernails. Now that I discovered Malco Modes and their soft, soft chiffon, I'm never going back.

>> No.9666594

>>9661918
>Then I write it down into my list.
I want to see this list

>> No.9666820

>>9666377
these look really nice! what petticoat from them do you reccomend? i'm having trouble deciding which would be best for bell shaped skirts

>> No.9666847

>>9666330
Buying a second-hand wig would skeeve me the fuck out, nooo thanks. Too much sweat and shit even without worrying about lice or something. Washing ain't enough to satisfy me.

I won't buy used gaming headsets or anything either, screw that. I know how sweaty that stuff can get and nobody ever sterilizes their *own* gear, eugh.

>> No.9673139

>>9666820

Unfortunately no bell shaped ones yet. An anon emailed them a while ago, and while they promised some things, it fell through later on.

I personally use the Jennifer, which is mild to moderate A-line, and pair it with an older chiffon petticoat I got from the now victoriangirldress if I want more crazy poof. Otherwise, for daily poof, it's perfect. If I want more of a bell shaped poof, I do the age old trick where i tuck in the top layer into the waist line, and it works in a pinch.

Malco modes is really nice overall. If you don't mind doing the trick every time for a bell shape, I would highly recommend them.

>> No.9673846

>>9661902
Everyone does this

>> No.9673849
File: 125 KB, 1024x764, tumblr_opralllqOr1uvv5gho2_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>browse /cgl/ before ever attempting to make a cosplay
>set extremely high standards for cosplay
>can't reach standards with own cosplaying skills
every damn time

>> No.9682616

>>9673849
I feel this so hard anon.

>> No.9682637

I own fifty pairs of shoes. I wear the same ratty loafers every day. The other 49 pairs are all because I refuse to wear shoes that don’t perfectly match the reference material.

I’m running out of space someone please help

>> No.9682740

>>9673849
Aye, same here.

>> No.9682741

>>9682637
Are you me.