[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 491 KB, 824x1173, hj456746.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9530848 No.9530848[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>Fat shaming cosplayers doesn't wo--

>> No.9530867

>>9530848
Fat "shaming" saves another life!

Remember folks, fat shame everywhere but in the gym!

>> No.9530869

>Kotaku article
>Completely different country with completely different social culture

>> No.9530870

>>9530848
>one article about some nobody
>proves entire concept
lmao okay

>> No.9530871

>>9530848
>176 pounds originally
>lost over 100 pounds!

Uh so she is less than 76 pounds right now? How is she still alive?

>> No.9530877

>>9530871
Presumably she's pretty short.

>> No.9530882

I mean it statistically has a much higher chance of just making the person feel like shit about themselves and give up but hey! One example is enough to justify anything!

>> No.9530887

>>9530882
Lose weight fatty

>> No.9530901

>>9530882
Link to said statistics please

>> No.9530902

>>9530877
Under 4 feet?

>> No.9530925

>>9530901

Here's a few I were able to find with a super quick search.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24997407
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103113002047?via%3Dihub
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21760636

Or you could do it yourself and Google "fat shaming statistics" and follow any of the news articles to their sources. There are tons of sources (make sure you follow links to their primary source and don't use any news articles or opinion pieces).

And honestly, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I don't really give a fuck if you fat shame someone. But don't be a coward and frame your actions around "helping" them, because it doesn't. If it triggers you that I'm sharing actual research on the subject, that's your problem. You're free to continue fat shaming, just call it what it is (bullying) instead of pretending it'll help them.

>> No.9530958

>>9530902
If she's under five feet 76lbs isn't bad at all for a Japanese girl.

>> No.9530959

>>9530867
>fat shame everywhere but in the gym

Underrated post.

>> No.9530968

Why are you so triggered over fatties anyway? Who cares what they do.

>> No.9530969

>>9530968
They are a drain on society. Plus, I have to look at them, which is awful

>> No.9530970

>>9530969
>They are a drain on societ

I hope you don't smoke, drink, do drugs or have a genetic disposition to getting cancer.

>> No.9530975

>>9530969
>>9530970
FWIR they're actually easier on the health care industry than smokers because they tend to die earlier and use less $$$ in health care than smokers.

>> No.9530984

>>9530970
I don't. Although cancer is unavoidable.
Being a fatass is not.

>> No.9530990

>>9530969
Someone's weight is none of your business? And if you don't like looking at them, close your eyes.

>> No.9531004

>>9530867
>everywhere but in the gym!
Agree actually, people there are trying to improve at least.

>> No.9531005

>>9530970
My body is beautiful and immaculate

>> No.9531014

>>9530990
There are some asses that once seen cannot be unseen.

>> No.9531018

Here's the article, and it reeks of bullshit propaganda from a Japanese TV show that was then picked up by some Kotaku hack journalist.
http://kotaku.com/young-cosplayer-lost-over-100-pounds-after-fat-shaming-1552704309

Japan has a huge weight and ED issue among teenage girls, iirc, and they're basically glorifying some girl's ED.

>>9530902
>>9530958
http://www.mybodygallery.com/photos-35357-body-shape.htm?StartAt=0

It doesn't have specific numbers below 100lbs, but if that's 90lbs at 4'4" 76lbs could be bad. I think the numbers are just exaggerated though.

>>9531014
I've seen skinny white girls whose asses are almost concave.

>> No.9531033

>>9531018
>they're basically glorifying some girl's ED
Basically. First thing I thought when I saw that headline was "sounds like she developed an ED".

>> No.9531037
File: 42 KB, 600x338, 1476904304808.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9531043

>>9531018
She was 209 and now 99, if she's 5'0ft then she's a healthy weight.

>> No.9531082

>>9530925

>encourage body positivity; fat people get fatter

>engage in weight stigmatization; fat people get fatter

There's no winning is there?

>> No.9531115

>>9531018
>>9531033
So you have to develop an eating disorder to lose weight? Fuck off.

>> No.9531117

>>9531082
There is no reasoning with fat people. They'll make every excuse in the book before losing weight.

Unless they want to lose it, they won't.

>> No.9531193

>>9531082
Why do you think encouraging body positivity causes people to become fatter?

>> No.9531234

>>9531193
Because people will think being fat is OK. That's literally the entire fat movement.

>> No.9531355

>>9531117
I mean people have provided sources on why you're wrong and it doesn't work to fat shame but okay
It's definitely hurr durr fatty logic gaiz even though there's proven studies it's not true I'll just close my ears

This entire thread is pretty bait, because it takes all of two brain cells to google studies on fat shaming and how they conclusively know it doesn't work. People even spoonfed you sources.

kek if this board is legitimately always so triggered about fat people and not actually trolling like I've always assumed then how do you all even manage to go outside without needing to go back to your myproana profile immediately
>inb4 insensitive cunt
I've struggled with an eating disorder, you don't keep the weight off if you ever recover, you get ugly, and your body goes to shit so don't start with your invalid arguments
But yeah I predict this thread will be nuked anyway so I'll take the bait

>> No.9531382

Fat shaming made me hide which lead to gaining more weight. Food became a partner instead of nourishment. I needed for people to back off me. I wouldnt have gotten so fat if I couldve been left alone to figure things out.
You guys arent psychs. You are usually ugly people who wont shut up.
I wasnt even that fat in grade school just tall but the bullying gave me an eating disorder. It took years of torture though.
So if you must say something then fine but just a few coments then drop it. After the first few most fat people will steer clear of you. So just forget we exist and focus on your own life.

>> No.9531384
File: 17 KB, 499x500, 0d2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9530848
for the most part, it doesn't (former fatty here)
weight loss isn't easy. I ran a cosplay page, gained 50 lbs, and people harrassed the FUCK out of me.
any time I was harrassed, I just felt like utter shit about myself, and was like "why the fuck should I lose weight, to make these assholes happy?"

I associated weight loss = making everyone who's ever insulted me for being fat happy and didn't want to do it because I didn't want these fuckos to feel justified in their insults, which had me crying a lot actually.

since weight loss is a LOT of fucking work, and takes a lot of motivation, everyone has to find their own reason. what would make ME happy if I lost weight?

I chose to lose weight so I can cosplay characters that show midriff again, and I chose to build muscle because I want to be able to pick up my boyfriend one day (who is currently a fatty who is losing weight)

his reason? he doesn't do it for me, he did it for himself, because he wants to live a life without fat people health conditions.

>tldr
fatshaming just makes people depressed, resent you, and give up on the idea of weight loss, why put in so much effort to make some asshole happy

>> No.9531394
File: 1.27 MB, 3128x2493, 1493420448113.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So asking the fatty-chans here on what they think would work for my situation.

I have a friend that is terribly overweight. I know it's one of the things making her life more difficult than it needs to be, and it's really not helping them with dating prospects and they do complain about being lonely. They don't feel like they could ever cosplay the characters they have a connection with because of it, and now they're saying they've turned into a full blown lesbian after all these years of collecting and writing fanfics of bishonen dudes in yaoi. I'm not buying any of it, and I know there's something else that's making them depressed but I just feel like if they even set themselves on the path to self improvement it would help them. How do I approach them about this? How would you accept someone trying to help out with this? I just want my friend to go back to being a happy and fun person instead of a self-hating gloomy faux-lesbian that never wants to go anywhere. It's painful to see them like this.

>> No.9531396

>>9531394
anon above you. you don't.
the best you can do is live a healthy livestyle yourself and ask them if they'd like to join you on it. Maybe they'll be motivated by you. Other than that, they have to find their own motivation. might take years, they might never find it, but they'll suffer because of it for sure and there's nothing you can really do.

>> No.9531411

>>9531394
Offer to do sports together? And remind her of stuff she likes, and do it, preferably with more people than just you two, so she doesn't end up relying on you like a crutch.

>> No.9531412

>>9531394
Being obese does cause depression and anxiety. When we exercise it causes us to produce dopamine and all those other happy chemicals. For her the only thing that makes her produce that is food so she keeps turning to it over and over. She gets a little happy high every time she eats. It's also like weed as it makes you have no motivation. And like with a drug addict, you can try to motivate her but nothing's going to get done until something clicks in her mind. You can lay all the facts out for her and she still won't do anything until something personally motivates her. I'm a fatty that's currently losing weight. I know from experience.

>> No.9531413

>>9531412
What made you click, if you don't mind me asking?

>> No.9531416

>>9531355
>kek if this board is legitimately always so triggered about fat people and not actually trolling like I've always assumed then how do you all even manage to go outside without needing to go back to your myproana profile immediately
I mean, lucky for me I don't live in the land of lardasses. We still have fat people but only twice in my life have I seen someone so fat I had to take a double take.

>> No.9531421

Fat shaming doesn't work, the person needs to come to that conclusion themself. This is especially true for me and a lot of other people I know that we were called a chubby during kids/teens and that weight loss turned into an eating disorder which is still a problem way into adulthood and it's a worse health problem in my opinion than being overweight.

>> No.9531427

>>9531234
Then you've either not been paying attention, or have only been paying attention to fringe cases. The entire fat acceptance/body positivity movement isn't about promoting obesity, it's about treating people with respect regardless of their weight. It's about respecting yourself regardless of your weight. Fat people know they're fat and they know it's not great for them. They're not going to decide to get any fatter because someone is saying to them "hey it's okay, you're still a person with value". Obviously there are a few fatties who don't think like this, but the majority of the fat acceptance movement is literally just "don't hate yourself/others because of weight". Which can actually inspire people to love themselves enough to work on their health.

>> No.9531433 [DELETED] 

>>9530871
The full article explains she got up to 209 lbs before losing weight, and ended up at 99.

>> No.9531436

>>9531355
>you don't keep the weight off if you recover
>you get ugly and your body goes to shit
Saying this makes you even more of an insensitive cunt, dumbass, don't say untrue shit that'll scare girls even farther away from recovery. I'm recovered from an ED and I'm in a 'normal' weight range, and I feel pretty good about my body most of the time - I can even look at old pictures and think wow, I was disgusting that thin. Recovery doesn't mean overweight/obese, that's often a sign of another ED developing. And if you're trying to say normal weight bodies are ugly and fat, you don't sound recovered at all to me.

>> No.9531446

>>9531394
The lesbian part rings true to me, actually. A couple of my lesbian friends were very into gay fanfic before coming out, I think because it was the only way they could tell themselves they were straight while still liking gay shit or something. I don't quite get it, since I was more into yuri from the start, but it happens. They all got over it after they came out, so hopefully she will too. And if she feels more comfortable with her sexuality she might eat less comfort food and get out more and end up losing weight naturally, so maybe take her to some pride events or gay bars? That's what I've done with my friends. Sage for sort of OT

>> No.9531452
File: 17 KB, 309x372, Gundam_Mobile_Suit_Gundam_Seed_Destiny_Lacus_Clyne_shoes_ver_01-2-07.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Buy a a wig and flesh-colored tights, you dingus.

>> No.9531454

>>9531355
I never said fat shaming worked? I said there is no reasoning with fat people. This includes shaming or positive reenforcement. The only way a fatass will lose weight is if they themselves want to.

>> No.9531455

>>9531427
Wrong. A large (no pun intended) part of the fat movement believes there is nothing wrong with being fat, health included.

>> No.9531456

>>9531382
No you made yourself fat, and you'll stay fat because of your mindset about how it's everyones fault but yours.

>>9531455
That anon needs to look up HAES. Body positivity is a fucking joke. I'm not going to respect someone who let themselves get to 300lbs.

>> No.9531471

>>9531413
The fear of death because I watched some videos about effects of obesity and Soufle Song quit doing custom sizing so I could no longer fit their stuff.

>> No.9531507

>>9531455
Unfortunately this is very true. All of my friends who are fat (and I'm talking FAT, not just a little chubby) believe that they are healthy and don't need to change anything.

>> No.9531572

Don't bully, but if you know somebody who's overweight irl, help them lose weight. Go exercise with them, and motivate them. Let them know you aren't mad at them for being overweight, or find it funny. But go exercising /with/ them. Don't persuade them to eat unhealthy food etc. Being overweight isn't healthy, and is unattractive.

>> No.9531580
File: 74 KB, 411x412, IMG_0335.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>all these jelly landwhales ITT

>> No.9531594

It does work. Nobody told me outright I was fat but I could tell I was. Photographers didn't want to take my picture. Now I'm skinny and people are nicer to me. Starved myself down from 155 to 117 at 5'5". Still want to lose 10 more pounds though. And unfortunately I carry weight in my belly but I cover it up so nobody has to see it.

>> No.9531661
File: 238 KB, 510x390, gs34.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9531572
>Socializing with fat people

>> No.9531677

>>9530968
Because fatties can be happy and love themselves without having to work their ass off for it.

>> No.9531680

>>9531117
Okay but why do you care? 'They're a drain on society', how? How do fat people affect your life in the slightest? 'Hurdur healthcare costs' if that's what you're worried about I sure hope you're bitching about all the drug addicts sucking millions out of healthcare a year. I seriously don't get why people give a shit about other people so much, this concern trolling is getting so old. If someone wants to be obese and fuck up their health who gives a shit?

>> No.9531697

Fat shaming is shit, but what i hate the most is the people shoving food to your face and telling you shit like "your byutifull anun" and "u luk fyen u dun't need to dyet, have some sweets" i hate that shit, maybe they do it so they don't feel bad stuffing their own mouths with shit every day, but i wish they stopped, it doesn't help at all and if you're weak you will believe what they're saying.

Losing weight is important but the person needs to find their own motivation, i particularly do it for the cute japanese fashion, i want to go to japan and be able to buy stuff from baby and such.

>> No.9531703

>>9531680
The thing that is most frustrating isn't necessarily fat people, but the constant acceptance of the lifestyle. Ofcourse, other people can choose however they wish to live, yet promoting something in a way that could increase the risk of your children copying that lifestyle, is not okay. It should not be portrayed as positive any longer, as more people will adapt the lifestyle, or refuse to do anything about it, forging an unhealthy generation. Besides, is it that bad to care about others?

>> No.9531730

>>9531680
I don't mind fat people just being fat. I do mind when they try to push their HAES agenda or fat is beautiful propoganda.

If they're fine being a fat unhealthy fuck that is OK. When they're delusional about it and try to push their garbage it becomes my problem.

>> No.9531790

>>9531436
Have you ever seen an anorexic person because you've definitely not had an ED

You very literally lose your teeth because of bulimia and anorexia.
Your body does go to shit. Your hair gets brittle and dry. Your nails break. Your breath smells no matter how much you brush your teeth. You're more prone to gaining all of your weight back plus more once you stop being anorexic because your body wants to hold onto any fat that you have left. It's hard on your heart. It's hard on your kidneys. Your bones lose calcium.

You are an absolute idiot if you think I'm not all for recovery.
I'm endorsing not having and promoting EDs in the first place because it's fucking dangerous.

>>9531416
>>9531454
Why does it even matter to you though? If fat people don't wanna lose weight then that's their problem but screaming about it isn't going to do shit

>> No.9531791

>>9531790
I never said it mattered or that I cared. I literally stated a fact and you're saying the same thing I did. I told you fatasses will not lose weight unless they want to.

>> No.9531825

>>9531703
>Besides, is it that bad to care about others?

It is if they haven't asked for it.

>> No.9531843

>>9531790
>You're more prone to gaining all of your weight back plus more once you stop being anorexic because your body wants to hold onto any fat that you have left.
>You are an absolute idiot if you think I'm not all for recovery.

Tbh you're the retarded one. Knowing that I'll gain all the weight back PLUS SOME is the biggest reason why I don't even consider recovery. Repeating it again and again isn't productive at all.

>> No.9532058

>>9531594
>starved myself
>Still want to lose 10 more pounds though

Will you stop at just 10 lbs though? What if you get down to 107 and still think you need to lose more? What if you start becoming addicted to the sense of control you get from weight loss.

>> No.9532079

This thread is bringing up some feels for me.
I lost a great friend to obesity and remembering him barely being able to walk at a convention destroyed him.
It's still definitely not ok to bully someone into being thinner.
We are a pretty judgemental part of the internet and while no one wants to see a 300 pound Yoko at a con, we have to respect each other the best we can.
I think it's cool the girl in op's post was so passionate about cosplay that it pushed her to lose weight. But there really isn't a reason to let your fat friends know you think they are fat
They know. They deal with it everyday

Best anyone can do for a friend suffering with depression based on body issue is to support them. If they ask for advice give it.

>> No.9532167

>>9531843
You're still retarded because that's how you recover anon. You gain mass back.

I'm not saying you have to be 200 pounds or some shit like that, I'm saying that if you have an on-again, off-again love affair with ana, she's going to fuck your body up and make your cells want to store your fat. Either way, do you want to be lied to? Do you want me to say "oh yeah ana fixes everything You stay skinny forever even after you stop!!" Because it doesn't and you don't. It'll either kill you or you recover. You have two options.

>don't even consider recovery
Okay Eugenia Cooney don't expect people to feel sorry for you then. I'm sorry that you can't handle facts about how the body works. Either you've never had an ED and you're shitting all of this out or you're one of the people that is so vain that they'll never stop because they're too scared of something intangible like some dumb fuck on the internet trolling you by calling you fat. If you want to keep killing yourself, that's fine. It's your parents' tears in the hospital room. It's your too-big-for-your-body casket. Not mine. I've given that life up. Hope you'll make the right decision too eventually. It really is worth it.

>>9532079
I feel like this is a good post, one of the few in recent memory that has a coherent and decent statement like it actually came from a human. I'm sorry about your friend. I think it shows that both sides of the weight spectrum can hurt their loved ones.

>> No.9532172

>>9531790
I'm genuinely sorry if you specifically have fucked up your body beyond the point of no return, but that doesn't happen to the same extent with every single person and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with recovery, which is what you were implying in your first post. Since you seem to want my personal story, I was bulimic, purging one to ten times a day for several years, miraculously didn't lose any teeth but did seriously fuck up my stomach (internal function and external appearance) and throat etc, so I'm very aware of the lasting physical effects. Recovery helped with those though, it didn't make them worse. Like >>9531843 is saying, talking about how your body will be forever ruined is just not true for everyone or even most people and no matter your intentions it's going to scare people off from recovery. Sage for blog post.

>> No.9532185

>>9531680
As a guy, my entire motive is to increase the number of attractive skinny girls available for dating. If I had a skinny date, I would not give a damn. I am completely shameless in admitting this.

>> No.9532195

>>9532185
>As a guy, my entire motive is to increase the number of attractive skinny girls available for dating

Then what? Bitch because they won't date you anyway?

>> No.9532263

I don't agree with being a cunt to a fat person, some gentle pushing does work imo. I was 230lb and had been fat all my life and no-one had ever mentioned anything about it to me until I was 20 and I got some comments from a friend saying how I'd be prettier etc without the extra weight (I'd also been single forever so I was pretty desperate). I ended up losing 110lb and I'm a lot more confident and happy now. I did lose the weight really unhealthily though, and I have a lot of excess skin on my arms so I can only cosplay characters with long sleeves which sucks. I've kept the weight off for 2 years and eat healthily now, and have a boyfriend.

>> No.9532291

>>9530990
>someone's weight is none of my business when I'm trying to get past the sweaty fuck on my bus

Stop drowning your salad in ranch FFS

>> No.9532295

>>9531446
The read I got is that she turned to being a lesbian because of her failures with men.
>it's really not helping them with dating prospects and they do complain about being lonely

There's a lot of fakes who don't want to eat puss and just think "oh she's a woman too! She knows what will make me feel good" when she's probably also a clueless near-virgin.
>move to the south
>start meeting girls who complain they can't masturbate right
>have to show them where their clit is

I'm not even a whore but goddamn.

>> No.9532300

>>9532058
It's about eating less food, but more protein and nutrients proportionally.

Salmon and hardboiled eggs for breakfast is great.

>> No.9532301

>>9531677
oh please. You and I both know fatties are the easiest to snap and constantly in moods. You don't even do anything and they're fuming because someone brought drinks to their table when they forgot to do a drink order in the first place.

bitch, I just saved your tip. Fuck off.

>> No.9532306

>>9532195
>Bitch because they won't date you anyway?
kek

There's nothing wrong about becoming a trap.

>> No.9532335

I kinda wish someone bullied me into losing more weight. I work out 5 times a week and only consume maybe 400-500 calories a day but it's still taking forever. I've been sitting at 121 forever and it's driving me crazy. I know I'm doing something wrong. I gotta get /fit/ I guess.

I have an alarm on my phone that goes off every hour that says "go do some sit ups you fat cunt whore slut". It's mostly for the lols but it gets me goin.

>> No.9532337

Fat shaming doesn't work.
I'm a result of it, I was told almost everyday that I was fat by family, bullies and myself.
I just couldn't stop and the sadder I got for being called fat, the more I ate.
What made me lose weight was my own goals.
I finally had a goal/dream in mind that I wanted to reach and in order to do it I couldn't be fat so I said fuck it.
I just did strict dieting and exercise and got there.
So, fat shaming usually makes things worse for people with mental illness which most fatties have anyway but it has to be up to them to make the move.
They need to find their own reason for doing it rather than listening to someone who just thinks they're fat.

>> No.9532340

>>9532335
>5 times a week

Shit I'm sorry. I meant 5 days a week. The workouts usually last about 3 hours each.

>> No.9532344

Depression, anxiety and other mental illness are not an excuse. It's an excuse that's often used but that's all it is. I've suffered for years with more, it turned out i had something worse. I couldn't get up some days. My body kept telling me no...I had no energy at all. I couldn't go outside due to anxiety, I gained an extreme amount of weight and also lost everything I had and valued I was at the bottom. I won't go into full detail but for so long I had pity on myself but then I realized things won't get better if I don't push myself. It's not impossible to lose weight with it. Don't make excuses for yourself as harsh as it really sounds.

>> No.9532345

>>9531412
I felt like this to.
No matter how much sunshine or exercise i did, i always ran back to food because i never felt happy after exercise like most people.
Food was my ultimate addiction and happiness but i had to rewire my brain.

>> No.9532351

>>9532335
Is this bait? At that amount of caloric intake vs activity your body is probably desperately holding onto whatever the hell it can because it believes you're starving. So no you're not gonna lose weight with that method.

>> No.9532364

>>9530848
I'm amused no one's pointing out that's not Tieria or even from Gundam 00, it's from SEED.

>> No.9532381

>>9531455
There's often a difference between what people say and express and what they actually feel. Many of those people know it's unhealthy, and feel like admitting it is admitting to being a bad person.

>> No.9532386

>talk about eating disorders
>no acknowledgement that morbid obesity is often cause by an ED, since bulimia and anorexia aren't the only two EDs
>no sympathy towards people who are obese due to EDs or mental illness, but lots of hugs for the former anorexics and bulimics
>anorexia is totally awful and difficult to recover from from so don't judge, but binge eating disorder is easy to recover from and ok to judge
>fat-shaming, a.k.a. attacking the visible result of a problem and not the problem itself totes works guiz

>> No.9532486

>>9530848
Japan has a culture of shame while America has a culture of individualism.

>> No.9532509

>>9532386
An interesting perspective is Jason Fung on fasting for weight loss. A funny guy, he says we tell people to reduce calories and work out and when the weight comes back (because the method doesn't work) we blame them for not trying hard enough. He shows that caloric restriction doesn't work because the body adjusts it's base metabolic rate for less calories, so you eat less but you gain the weight back. The other problem is that insulin blocks the body from effectively using other sources of energy while still stocking it's fat reserves.
Calories in vs calories out doesn't work because the system is hormonal, what you eat influences your hormone levels and will regulate your metabolism differently.
The best solution is to cut all sugars and other carbs out of your diet and adopt some regular pattern of fasting. When you fast your body will deplete glycogen and help reset your insulin levels. At first you'll be very hungry but after a couple of days your body will use other sources of energy and in fact your base metabolic rate will remain the same or even increase in order to keep you from dying, this is opposed to caloric restriction which lowers your metabolic rate. A higher resting metabolic rate means that you will continue to burn normal amount of fat when you stop fasting.
Concerns about people fasting to avoid diabetes and other obesity related diseases getting anorexia through fasting is negligible and nonsensical. Anorexia is a psychological disorder but the cause of obesity is primarily a hormonal disorder.

>> No.9532515

>>9532509
>calories in calories out doesn't work

Fucking what. You can't defy the laws of physics. The problem is most people don't have an accurate grasp on what calories food contains/how much they are burning in a work out or they lie and have "cheat days" every other day. Sure there is SOME adjustment if you fast for long periods of time but what you're talking about is bullshit.

You can't be serious in thinking people are magically defying the laws of physics.

>> No.9532517

>>9532515
We've left the Age of Reason. People will argue and defend whatever they want to.

>> No.9532522

>>9532515

Anon explained it poorly, but what happens is that people gain the weight back because they're not burning fat, they're burning muscle. Then when they binge, they regain fat, not muscle.

Less muscle, more fat, body in fasting mode = less calories burned. People usually have no idea of their %s, so they end up eating the same amount of calories while burning less, giving the impression that the calorie counting isn't working.

>> No.9532525

>>9531455
>>9531507
My roommate is morbidly obese and says there's nothing wrong with it because she mostly has "the good kind of fat". She's easily over 300 pounds, so that's a lot of "good fat" I guess.

>>9531572
According to my roommate, suggesting we go to the gym together is fatshaming too. Suggesting we cook together to make something delicious and healthy is also fatshaming, as well as encouraging eating disorders apparently. Any insinuation that they're not perfectly flawless as they are is fatshaming. I just want a workout and cooking buddy, damnit.

>>9532381
But if they know it's wrong and unhealthy, why are they pushing it on other people? IMO saying I'm promoting eating disorders by not having a family-sized portion of mac and cheese for lunch is as bad if not worse than me calling her fat (which I never do, actually).

>> No.9532526

>>9532522
So it's not a matter of calories in calories out not working if you're saying these people binge.

>Calories in vs calories out doesn't work because the system is hormonal, what you eat influences your hormone levels and will regulate your metabolism differently.

It doesn't sound like anon is talking about what you're talking about.

>> No.9532583

>>9532381
Wrong again. It's called delusion, and fatasses have a lot of it.

>> No.9532615

>>9532515
It doesn't defy thermo dynamics. Your body just down regulates.

>> No.9532617

I feel like a lot of y'all are derailing and missing the point of this thread. And a lot of y'all are confused about the difference between an "excuse" and a "contributing factor".

Depression doesn't keep you fat. Anxiety doesn't keep you fat. Food addiction, alcoholism, bullying, and fat shaming do not keep you fat. They are not excuses for your weight, but they ARE contributing factors for the weight.

When we say "fat shaming helps keep people from losing weight" we are not saying that fat shaming is an excuse for these people to be fat, we are saying that it's one of the factors contributing to those people's decision to not take care of themselves. And of course it is a decision to not take care of yourself, to eat junk food, to not exercise. Those are all decisions but they are decisions HEAVILY influenced by some of the things people are discussing in this thread.

Anyone coming in here acting like words have absolutely no effect on a person's decision to take care of themselves or not is being intentionally obtuse. You're being stupid and ignoring the obvious so you can feel justified in being shitty to others. The ONLY way someone is going to lose weight is by making the decision themselves that they are worth it, and they're much more likely to make that decision when they're not being fat-shamed. This shit isn't difficult to understand.

>> No.9532631

>>9532615
Then it's not calories in calories out not working, it's your metabolism slowing and you need to eat even less to accommodate. People act like this happens over night and it does not. You can safely fast for 48 hours and you won't drastically fuck up your metabolism.

It boils down to people eating a salad for one day and being surprised when they aren't magically losing 5 lbs so they give up.

If it was impossible to lose weight we wouldn't have starving kids in africa. It isn't hard to figure out.

>> No.9532634

>>9532509
Are you saying there are no psychological reasons why someone could be obese, too?

Binge Eating Disorder
https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/binge-eating-disorder
https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/information/binge-eating-disorder

Avoidance Restrictive Food Intake Disorder
https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/avoidant-restrictive-food-intake-disorder-arfid
https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/blog/avoidantrestrictive-food-intake-disorder-signs-and-symptoms
(although many descriptions say the person will be underweight or average weight, this depends on what is being "restricted")

These disorders may sound easy to solve if you're just hearing about them for the first time, but they are disorders. They need to be taken seriously. They need doctors. Saying to someone "lol just put down the fork" is not going to solve them... just like telling an anorexic "you look like a stick, just pick up a burger for God's sake" is not going to stop an anorexic person's problem.

Treat the psychological problem, not the visible symptom. If not, the person will probably just gain all of that lost weight right back.

>> No.9532639

>>9532631
You can't measure calories accurately as people think they can. What you should be complaining about is the false information that you can just measure calories in and out in the first place. You can't.

What you eat is not all treated as the same thing and you can expend the same amount of effort and get less results because your metabolism adapts.

People that die of starvation don't have any food and in Africa they probably suffer from severe dehydration as well.

>> No.9532647

>>9532639
Metabolism won't be +/- 1000 calories unless you're a freak.
It's a few hundred calories at most. You CAN just measure CICO. TDEE is fairly accurate using calculators, and you can adjust if it isn't working. Or learn how to count.

>> No.9532650

>>9532525
And how big is the group of people saying that encouraging working out is fat-shaming or that push it on other people? Remember that tumblrinas and HAES people are not the majority of fat people. It's easy to think that with our involvement with the Internet and with fandom and conventions, but the number is probably much smaller. Most fat people who I know are depressed and have anxiety disorders related to their size, feel trapped and isolated, and are constantly afraid of others thinking bad things about them.

You can't know what the person is feeling either, and people respond to bullying and feelings of worthlessness by putting others down and going into denial.

>> No.9532654

>>9532647
Which is great if you actually believe that and then wonder why it doesn't work like that. Layman knowledge is a wonderful thing, you know just enough to be confident, not enough to be right.

>> No.9532656

>>9532583
Denial can be a reaction to self-hatred. You must not realize that what people feel and what they say can be vastly different. The message that being fat is unattractive and unhealthy is everywhere. It's hard to miss unless you never go outside, use the Internet, or watch television.

>> No.9532657

>>9532617
Underrated post.

>> No.9532665

>>9532654
Honestly it's much more likely that people are lying to themselves about the calories they are eating and burning then proven facts being wrong. Keep being fucking delusional.

CICO works. It's when you are dishonest and or uninformed you think it doesn't work. It takes willpower to lose weight, and people over a certain weight likely don't have much to begin with which is WHY you see so many failures to lose weight.

>> No.9532675

>>9532654
Actually believe what? Do you seriously believe eating less won't make you lose weight?

>> No.9532679

>>9532675
Anon don't bully them, they went on a diet for two days and it didn't work. Stop shaming them!

>> No.9532693
File: 10 KB, 650x108, Screenshot_20170625-110840_01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9532679
I get really pooter peeved when people honestly think CICO doesn't work. I'm at a healthy weight now and use MFP to maintain weight. It has never failed.

>> No.9532694

>>9532693
Don't worry, you're sane and aren't trying to deny the laws of physics. The people who think cico doesn't work are mentally ill and denying literal facts, don't get mad at them, feel bad for them.

>> No.9532759

>>9532525
I'm sorry your roommate is such a cunt, but they're likely not ready to accept it and want to lose weight to improve their lives, especially seeing as she thinks there's nothing wrong. She's going to shut down any type of persuasion whether it is actual fatshaming or well-meaning suggestions.

I've always been fat despite my family always deriding me over it. Other people never bullied me about my weight but I did notice how I was always the fattest person in a group and I was never as cute as my friends.
It wasn't until I started taking antidepressants have I gotten the motivation to seriously work on losing weight, keeping as close of a record of everything I eat and trying to consistently be active. My friends support by working out with me and wanting to cook healthy meals.

Fatshaming can be discouraging especially when you actually are working to lose weight but people saying 'you're just fine as you are' aren't being supportive either because they're discouraging you from something you chose to do to improve your life.