[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

>> No.9469817

>>9469700
Corky what conventions do you table at?

>> No.9469846

>>9469817
mostly just cons in Toronto and GTA. I've been to Otakuthon in Montreal a couple times as well.

>> No.9469879

wtf is up with everyone in AANI getting pissed off at the poster suggesting that doing art collabs is good?

>> No.9469892

>>9469879
Unrelated, but is anyone else bothered by these blog style posts? The guy who posted the collab thing has made a few of these and it just comes off as some weird self promotion.

>> No.9469894

>>9469879
the guy writes all his FB posts as if they're song lyrics or BUY NOW ads. I wouldn't collaborate with him either

>> No.9469916

>>9469894
>as if they're BUY NOW ads
I couldn't put it into words, but this is exactly why his posts annoy me.

>> No.9470217

Fellow average artists, how do you stop yourselves from being demotivated by all the great artists in AA? The longer I do AAs, the more I hate my art because no matter how hard I try I just can't catch up in skill level, and I've started to become really ashamed of myself and embarrassed of my art (even though I do fine sales-wise).

>> No.9470309

Is acornpress completely awol right now? I submitted an order 4/20 and haven't heard a peep back - no real deadlines but damn, I figured they'd have kicked an invoice along by now or something.

>> No.9470322

>>9470309
afaik they made a statement on social media somewhere that their machine had broken and they were refunding customers? This was a week or two ago

>> No.9470349

>>9470217
Hmmm for me personally I try to use those negative feelings and turn it into more productivity and a need to improve at art. I also try not to put my standards to high, for AAs I just hope that I break even and then some. (I dont even do that well in sales, but I dont want that to deter me, I just keep trying). There is just a huge tier of amazing artists I can never match up too, but I try to not let that get me down, and try to better myself in art. Learn from them, experiment with techniques and such. But they got there with lots of practice and work so I want to do the same (?) It is definitely discouraging a lot of times, but me feeling sorry for myself won't improve art and won't make sales.
But forreal there are so many amazing artists like jeezus Im so in awe and lowkey jealous at their level of skill and talent lol
Dont get too down on yourself Anon! Just keep pushing forward to better yourself and art.

>> No.9470359

What does average art look like? I honestly have no idea where my art falls.

>> No.9470378

>one of my mousepads was printed upside down so the gel inserts were on their head and the flat part was their butt
does the anon from the last thread have a picture of this? it sounds really funny

>> No.9470443

>>9470359
post some samples.

>> No.9470497
File: 3.65 MB, 2088x1572, meh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9470359
this is what i would consider average (borderline mediocre) AA art. generic style, muddy colors, boring or generic poses/composition, sloppy blending and more or less forgettable.

However several of these artists could be much better if they just polished their work a bit more or pushed their style further.

This is just my opinion, doubtless other anons have varying views on an 'average' artist.

grabbed off random sps posts on AANI

>> No.9470535

I'm vending at my first 'real' con this weekend, so please tell me about your worst booth barnacles. I'm ready to experience the pain.

>> No.9470582

>>9470497
Personally would consider the orc girl with purple hair and D.Va as on the upper level of average/proficient. They seem to have a better grasp of style than the other ones and are able to execute it decently. I might buy something from them if they had a fandom I liked.

Malachite, pink haired girl, and "Empty Heart" girl I would consider as true "average". Probably wouldn't get a sale from me but if their prices are right, they can probably sell a couple of things to general congoers. The DRRR and the Tokyo Ghoul ones are straight up in the bad territory for me and if I saw those at a con I would wonder how they managed to get a table.

I agree that generic style and muddy colors are what really pushes something into the "average" territory for me. I also personally hate it when people throw text on a print without thinking about font choices/layout - or even worse decide to sloppily handwrite. I'm also picky with shading - either you do it well or you just leave it at flats, none of this dodge/burn or bad smudge tool bullshit. That's what pushes the DRRR and Tokyo Ghoul into bad for me. I hate seeing sloppy shading.

>> No.9470593

>>9470217
I use them as inspiration. I have a lot of inspo images saved for ideas. Color, technique, etc.... I won't improve unless I continue to work. I stopped for a long time due to depression, lack of support, etc... and my work suffered badly because of it. So now I know I have to kerp trying even if it's hard.

>> No.9470679

>>9470582
Fair points, the orc is up there for the wonky facial features and boring character portrait with flat color bg. The d.va work is classic 'spend 80% of the time on the face+hair oops i guess i have to do a body' though. Up close/in higher resolution it's pretty shoddy.

I put the DRRR/Tokyo ghoul ones to cover certain styles but I admit it was pretty hastily put together.

Personally I would not buy from any of these artists when there are so many more competent artists doing AA now. Maybe a small item like a sticker or badge but the work really isn't up to print standard.

>> No.9470732

>>9470309
Their machines broke sometime early-mid April which caused the order pile up and even shittier than normal communication. They should be fixed and running normally now though, I got my order in time for my end of April deadline. They did sort of ignore new emails during just because of that rush to get old orders through. Try emailing them again and give a deadline this time.

>> No.9470854

>>9470309

I got an invoice end of April about a week after I sent in my order. They've upped their normal processing time to 15 business days + shipping. I figured they wouldn't have invoiced me if they couldn't meet my deadline. I sent in my order 4/21, was invoiced 4/28, and heard back 5/8 about a potential technical difficulty in my design. Granted, I gave them a deadline of end of May because I want these for A-kon. After doing three orders with them, my lesson learned is to allow at least a month total.

>> No.9470882

>>9470497
>>9470582
>>9470679
That makes me feel better. Thanks for the examples! I'm playing with the idea of doing AAs. Some of my AA tabling art friends have suggested that I look into it, but I'm still on the fence about it. I mean for one, all of the big seller cons around me are cons that I actually enjoy going to and experiencing. I wouldn't want to give that up just to maybe break even, you know?

>> No.9470896

Anyone have experience shipping stuff directly to the convention, hotel, or nearby post office? What is the process like and is it safe to do so? Any tips?

>> No.9470900

aw jeez, whenever i see someone pass by my table cosplaying from the same series i am, i'll call them over and ask for a picture and try to initiate a conversation. ive been thinking about it and this is probably pretty annoying, right? i don't want to pressure them into buying something, i'm just excited to meet people with similar interests to mine. should i stop?

>> No.9470901

>>9470896
i typically ship my things to the hotel/airbnb i'm staying at. another alternative that i do a lot is ship to a ups store and have them hold it until i pick it up. sometimes they charge a $5-$10 fee. back when i used catprint, i would have them ship to a ups store nearby

>> No.9470902

>>9470900
As long as you're calling them over for a picture, it's fine. If you're calling them over for them to look at your merch, then it would be best to stop.

>> No.9470904

>>9470900
i think its fine if you are cosplaying from the same series. I personally really hate (as a cosplayer, and as an artist) when people try and shill merch to cosplayers being like 'i have a print of you!'.

>> No.9470905

So what is the average earning potential at AAs?
For someone who already has a big online following, is it easier to get customers?

>> No.9470907

>>9470900
I think you just gotta act carefully and genuine. Especially since we tend to be stuck behind tables, we hardly get to check out the cool cosplays and such so I think there's some excuse to ask for pictures as cosplayers walk by.

If you have a good neighbor or partner, you could ask to step out for a sec to ask to take a picture, etc.

Otherwise yea, longs you're not encouraging them to buy your stuff since you hollered them to come over, I think you'll be okay. Could get annoying to other neighbors if you're calling over every cosplayer though - again, calling over, it's different when the cosplayers are already at your table and you can talk normally then.

>> No.9470915

>>9470900
As long as you're not trying to sneak a sale in there, that's fine. A lot of cosplayers will end up buying something from you naturally just out of appreciation for someone taking the time to talk about the series with them, so you really don't even need to pull some used car salesman bullshit anyway. Just...make sure the series isn't Yuri on Ice or Attack on Titan. That would get really old really fast for everyone around you like >>9470907 said.

>> No.9470917

>>9470905
there is no 'average'. it varies wildly depending on what cons you attend, what area, what your style is and merchandise type you carry, whether or not you have equiptment to produce merch yourself thus saving on ordering, etc etc etc.

and also as someone with a relatively large online following I have found that it doesn't drastically impact my sales (compared to friends who don't have my following). It helps for online stores mostly. the majority of your online audience won't be geographically close to you anyway.

>> No.9470918

>>9470905
>>9470917
Adding on to this anon, although it's true that it doesn't have a huge impact (unless you run a successful/popular webcomic), it is a good indication that your art is appealing!

>> No.9470938
File: 168 KB, 589x885, 1493729652665.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone know of any cons in California with open registration? Sometimes it's hard navigating their websites and often they haven't been updated since last year.

>> No.9470959

>>9470322
>>9470732
>>9470854

Ah, dammit. Thanks for the info - I'll email again with a hard deadline and failing that just resubmit the damn order.

>> No.9470972

>>9470497
Nitpicking

>> No.9471012

>>9470972
Which one of those images was your art? There's no nitpicking from what I can see. Everything there is very meh-tier. Appealing to the average customer, not so appealing to people who expect more/other artists.

>> No.9471039

>>9470679
I gave the wonky facial features a pass because I figured maybe they were going for that because she's an orc? You're right about it being a boring character portrait. And yeah, it's pretty obvious that the artist put way more time into D.Va's face than everything else (rip her hands and awkward finger gun pose) but I think the average congoer is much more likely to ignore anatomical flaws if the face is rendered nicely.

>>9470972
You have low standards, anon.

>> No.9471062

>>9471012
Seems a bit silly to whine about average when most artists aren't trying to appeal to other artists. They're trying to appeal to the average customer, I smell a self post from the way they were talking up the orc girl.

>> No.9471063
File: 1.99 MB, 500x607, 1494130088217.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Question from previous thread that wasn't really answered:
Is there any card reader device that offers anonymity? I don't want my customers to get a receipt with my full name and address when buying something from me.

If not card reader, is there any other anonymous option to take credit/debit cards?

>> No.9471087

>>9471063
its not a great solution but some artists do on the spot paypal transfers, if you have a paypal set up in your business name

>>9470972
a.) lol
b.) i made generic statements about areas they could all improve on
c.) its not meant to be a critique, just an example of average/unimpressive art in AA

>> No.9471089

>>9471087
People like you are why average artists don't improve

>> No.9471090

>>9471062
Nobody's whining. The response was to someone curious about where their art might stand in comparison to others and someone else added their own opinion on what might be considered average.
I don't like any of the work that was posted but I can agree that that the D.Va and orc artists have potential when compared.

>> No.9471098
File: 102 KB, 300x256, 084.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9471089
you mean people who give feedback?

grow a spine. anon was hardly nasty about it, just blunt.

>> No.9471105

>>9471087
>its not a great solution but some artists do on the spot paypal transfers, if you have a paypal set up in your business name
So, basically I just give them my address and they pay on their phones? I mean I guess it could work, but I feel there would be a lot of "ease of use" problems.

>> No.9471106

>>9471062
I was the anon who responded and said I thought the orc and the D.Va were decent in comparison. I'm not even the one who posted the images to begin with. Try harder.

>>9471089
Calling them average is gonna hinder their growth? Most average artists I'm familiar with know they are average and prefer critique/feedback so they can improve. You can say that they ~never asked for crit~ since they were posted to /cgl/ w/o permission but then by the same logic they probably won't ever see what's being said if they don't know they were posted so I don't see how their feelings are gonna be hurt from this. As >>9471090
said, the original anon was just trying to answer a question by giving examples.

>> No.9471108

>>9470497
>>9470582
I actually think the empty heart zombie girl is the most well drawn picture in that image.
Good style, decent colors, good composition. The only thing they have issues with is their lack of understanding depth and drawing 3-d space.
The bows, frills, arm stump, and hand all look very flat.

Orc girl is the least impressive. It's just typical tumblr style, 3/4 facing left, no details. It's just very plain and unappealing. They're hand-hiding and not drawing anything in the BG, not even a simple pattern or graphic.

>> No.9471109

>>9471089
>People like you are why average artists don't improve
Being called mediocre makes people improve the most, I find. If you call them shit they either become so dejected they don't improve, or don't listen to any critique since they think you're a troll.
If you butter them up and compliment them regardless of their skill, they'll slip into their comfort zone, never feeling the drive to improve.

>> No.9471110
File: 568 KB, 240x291, 0lyw14.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9471089
Actually you're the reason artists don't improve, this>>9471109
you need feedback and/or concrit if you want to make it and improve
Art in general is very competetive, let alone AAs. Nobody cares about your feelings so either git gud or get out

>> No.9471111

This is interesting (and largely civil, you go gulls!) discussion, but I can't help but feel bad for the artists that didn't ask for feedback (or to be posted in the first place).

>> No.9471115

>>9471108
I'm a fan of simple flat colors, so that probably explains why I prefer orc girl. As I mentioned before, I'm really picky with shading and the highlighting on the zombie girl bothered me. (Specifically the skin and the bows - I think it looks fine on the hair and the gore.) D.va and orc have very boring basic poses but are executed better stylistically, imo. Zombie girl has a more interesting idea behind it but is executed less well. I'm not a fan of the way her neck is drawn and the placement of facial features. I'd probably rank it D.Va -> orc -> Malachite -> zombie -> pink girl -> Tokyo Ghoul -> DRRR - but that's just me. It's kind of interesting to see what appeals to different gulls!

>>9471105
You can also download the Paypal app if you want easier transactions. There's always Venmo too but people can cancel transactions on Venmo so it's not really recommended unless you know the person. I've done Venmo at a small local event at a bar and no one cancelled, but I think the risk of people cancelling on you is higher at conventions.

>> No.9471127

>>9471063
>>9471087
So, I found that with Squareup, you can edit receipts to include your business name instead of your real name. However, you HAVE to put in an address. I'm guessing it can be any, and you could simply make P.O box and list that instead.
There might be a way for a customer to see your information somehow. I'll have to contact their customer support, but it seems promising.

>> No.9471129

>>9471115
>You can also download the Paypal app if you want easier transactions
The problem isn't really on my end, I'm sure I can absolutely come prepared to a con with my paypal all setup.
The problem is I don't assume any customer would have the paypal app ready to go on the fly, and I might lose a sale if someone doesn't want to go through the trouble, or is too shy.

>> No.9471132

>>9471129
A lot of customers have paid me with the Paypal app on their own phones, actually. But what I was trying to say is that if you have the PP app on yours you can just "request money" and use the customer's email address. That way it's just a matter of them checking their email and paying vs. you asking them to pull up Paypal on their mobile browser, log in, and type in your email.

>> No.9471144

I want a file folder for easy access to my 11x17 prints that won't damage them.
Been looking for weeks and I'm only finding legal size ones, and the ones I found for 11x17 were cardboard and 80 fucking dollars.

>> No.9471151

>>9471144
Exactly what have you been searching? I just found a bunch ranging from $10-$30 by looking for 11x17 file case. That size is called ledger, by the way. You'll find more results looking for ledger sized items.

>> No.9471152

>>9471129
>>9471132
You can create a paypal.me alias name which is simply a basic browser link sent via text that request to pay this amount to your paypal account

>> No.9471252

>>9470497
...These are considered average? They all look bad to me. I wouldn't even consider most of these finished/print worthy. Imo, d.va, heart girl, and the SU artist seem to have some awareness of what works and a decent amount of skill that I can see improving with time.

I'll admit that I'm not usually a fan of things that are anime-styled but now I understand why I'm always disappointed when I visit AA. I just end up buying from the same people or just one or two things from someone different.

>> No.9471280

>>9471252
Looking through AANI and AA walkthrough videos... Most of the artists are low skilled/mediocre. I don't know about you, but it makes me feel a little bit more confident about my selling potential. Is that a shitty thing to think? Lol.

>> No.9471303
File: 606 KB, 601x616, cf2b7b66a2dd89ba35e097bda08ed38a.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9469846
What is the cost per acrylic keychain from vograce?
This style specifically?

>> No.9471305

>>9471303
Email them for estimations

>> No.9471333

>>9471303
what >>9471305 said.

That one was specifically a sample so all I had to pay was shipping.

And keep in mind the CAD->US conversion is shit so I pay 30cents more on the dollar than any US artist would.

Also, the more you order the cheaper they are each. If you can split an order with friends to make the keychains/shipping cheaper. I did an order of 150 with a friend and I they ended up under $2 USD each.

>> No.9471366

>>9471280
No, I feel you. I only just started tabling last year and thought my stuff was bad until the girl I shared a table with said she'd 'finally have a chance' once I left on Sunday. I think the main issue is people don't spend time learning about theory. You don't have to go off to school but things like anatomy, composition, color theory, etc are pretty essential.

But I guess it doesn't matter too much since they're still getting accepted. Why improve if you can't see the problems? If I never got any critique, I'd probably be in the same boat

>> No.9471389

>>9471366
>>9471280
A lot of these artists though think that just breaking even is good. They often aren't making much if anything and I honestly don't know why they keep tabling.

>> No.9471436

>>9471115
You've got shit tastes

>> No.9471454

>>9471280
Look no further than these threads. I'm glad A-Kon is arranging the AA from god tier (and also that one shitty chibi artist that is probably someone's friend) to shit tier. The people calling this art above average, saying we're nitpicky, etc are the same ones who will never understand why they're in the shit half of AA jury rankings. They will probably always be there.

>> No.9471461

>>9470497
>>9471454
The dagan ronpa one actually has potential but they honestly made it look like those fucking blingee myspace "emo" collages preeteens made in photoshop back in 2007.
It's such a shame to see decent art ruined with terrible composition.

>> No.9471475

>>9471454

I'm in the "shit tier" of the A-kon AA and I work really hard on my art and try to be aware of all the skills I'm lacking and try to improve those and see what others have that I'm missing. Just because somebody isn't god tier doesn't mean that A: they aren't aware of it and B: they aren't putting 100% into making up for it. The table arrangement at A-kon is pretty much punishment enough, so there's no need for you to be a smug asshole about it.

>> No.9471479

>>9471475
Good for you. Now if you'll just put that inferiority complex of yours to the side for a moment and actually read my post, you'll see that I wasn't talking abouf people like you. I was talking about the people who are mediocre, are fine with being mediocre, defend the mediocre, and don't look to change their mediocre-ness one bit.

>> No.9471480

>>9471454
>A-Kon is arranging the AA from god tier to shit tier
Wait, what? More info on this? Are they literally lining up the artists so the best are in front and the worst are in the back? If so, then who is the judge? What about plushie artists vs print artists?

>> No.9471487

>>9471479
You mean like half the artists in the "god-tier" section??????????????

>> No.9471489

>>9471480
Yes, yes, there was a jury system and results were sent to everyone on the AA mailing list (not just tabling artists), there was a separate jury for 3D vs 2D but I think the table order is by raw score.

>> No.9471492

>>9471487
You sound kinda bitter, anon. Look on the bright side, if you're really that good and you're surrounded by shitty artists people will be attracted to your work by default.

>> No.9471494

>>9471479
Isn't thumbcramps in the god-tier section

>> No.9471496

>>9471489
So the "shit list" is sent to the public? Well, that's gotta... not feel good.

>> No.9471501

>>9471494
There were some questionable choices in the placement that I can only attribute to either people knowing people or online popularity. For the most part, the ratings wer pretty accurate.

>>9471487
And yet they're there and you're not! You're obviously doing something wrong.

>> No.9471507

>>9471496

Basically artists were told that there was going to be a jury, but that's it. Artists weren't told that the results list was going to be made public, ranked, and that the table arrangement was going to be basically a direct copy of the ranking results in order. I'm pretty surprised because I've always heard A-kon is well organized, but this seems kind of shitty to spring on people without telling them that's how it was going to go down.

>> No.9471510

>>9471507
Does this arrangement even increase sales?
I'm guessing it's just choking off the other artists, consolidating the profits to a few.

Or it could work out in a weird way.

>> No.9471558
File: 293 KB, 960x960, 1493286983070.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I hear this advice a lot: when selling prints, only bring 2-5 of each in stock
Like... how do you make money? How do you set up a booth at a con (the table alone costs 100-200 dollars), and you have what, 10 original pictures... and let's say you sell them for 15 dollars. Assuming you sell them all and that each print is equally as popular as the last, that's like potential earning of 300-700 dollars.

That is just not worth it. Table cost, gas money, printing production, setup, everything... wow. The initial investment is in the 100s Are the majority of people satisfied with making so little? I hear people celebrate when they break even, wtf.
I always assumed you could sell WAY more. Or are all of the AA artists just extremely unpopular?
Idk, it just seems like a bad idea if your stuff sells that poorly. At that point you might as well quit.

>> No.9471561

>>9471558
Who is giving you that advice? Retards? Surely no one here, I hope.

>> No.9471566

>>9471510
Not that anon, but I feel like some lower ranked artists actually got better placement than the higher ranked ones. Some high artists are placed on the outskirts of the map layout, not sure if that's considered good or not.

>> No.9471574

>>9471558
the fuck? i take around 10 of each. double if it's popular. and i have ~10 pieces.

>> No.9471575

>>9471558
Getting 5 of anything is a bad move unless it's something you're not sure will sell or it's something that you can sell at a higher price point and aren't going to be making more of (for example, I got five sketchbooks made up since it was more of something I wanted for myself and I didn't want to order twenty of them).

If you're making prints, it's a waste of money if you're only ordering five (anything less than that I'm not even considering serious). Whoever told you that is either inexperienced or an asshole.

>> No.9471576

>>9471561
I've heard it several times looking up FAQs online, watching youtube videos, and reading AA blogs. I can't tell you specifically who suggested this, but as a first-timer I was looking up a lot of newbie advice and that's what I came across.

How many do you suggest per unique print? I was thinking 20-30 honestly...

>> No.9471599

someone posted vograce and the Vograce google doc from this thread on AANI
fuck. Better order now before it gets too busy.

>> No.9471606

>>9471576
20-30 sounds more reasonable, but honestly if you've got the car space, bring as many as you can. One friend of mine brings her printer and blanks so she can print more at the con if she sells out.

>> No.9471638

>>9471558
I've never heard of 2 but I've heard 5-10 before. It's advice aimed toward newbies starting their first tabling venture at a small local con. Those usually only cost $50~$80 to table at. And there is less attendance overall so you probably won't be getting rid of all your stock if you brought like 20 of each print. It's a way for people to test the waters without being stuck with 20+ of prints that don't sell because it's always easy to get more prints made throughout the weekend at a local print store.

All in all it makes sense if you're going to a small con and don't want to risk too much - especially if you haven't signed up for any other cons in the future. I order 30~50 of each print because I know I can get rid of leftovers if I have any at my future cons since I do about 20 a year. I can see why a newbie with only 1 con planned for the entire year might be a little reticent to get stuck with stock they can't unload.

It's kind of outdated advice though. People were saying this stuff like 7 years ago when I first started tabling.

>> No.9471640

>>9471599
Why would someone ruin a good thing like this?

>> No.9471642

>>9471576
Honestly it really depends on your skill level and the con size, I think. I've always heard 8-12 for things you sell well and less than that for less popular ones. Personally I hate having to lug around (and possibly store indefinitely) copies of prints that didn't sell, and if I had printed 30+ then I'd have a shitton of extras to deal with. Play it safe and do like 10-15 (especially if you haven't tabled before, then you can gauge your sales).
Also, another reason why people make bank is charms--they're pretty quick to draw so you can have a lot, and imo they're more useful than some expensive paper you hang on your wall. Have variety on your table, and the profit margins will increase.

>>9471599
fucking WHY
I get that I'm stingier with sources than maybe most but it bugs me when people just post sources willy nilly lol

>> No.9471655

>>9471642
>Personally I hate having to lug around (and possibly store indefinitely) copies of prints that didn't sell
This. This is always a possibility if you're just starting out and not proficient with print compositions. I made some pretty bad prints for my first AA table and eventually threw them away because they were never going to sell. Thank god I didn't print more than 8.

I remember giving advice to an ex-friend who wanted to break into AAs for the first time and I told her to print 5-8 of each print since it was a very small local con and she didn't have any plans for future conventions. She did 15-20 of each and ended up selling 1 print the entire con. And then tried to blame me afterwards because she didn't break even. I hate how mediocre artists think that AAs are a way to make a quick buck when they don't even have the skills to back it up.

>> No.9471667

>>9470896
Ship to a FedEx office near your hotel or con center. Cheaper to pick up at the FedEx office shop then have it delivered. Fedex ground should be able to get your stuff to regional cons in 2-3 days, and cross country in 5. Walk in like 2 weeks before and ask the employees the questions related to your specific situation. Also keep in mind, FedEx and ups are more picky about the kinds of boxes you can ship.

>> No.9471673

>>9471144
11x17.com

>> No.9471787
File: 128 KB, 517x733, help.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I haven't ordered through Vograce before, but my charms will have some text on them & be double-sided, so I want to be sure I'm doing this right. If I want the images to align and the text to be facing the right way, how do I need to send my files? (I know places like Zap and AP you have to do the front image flipped)

>> No.9471837
File: 6 KB, 153x176, 001.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9471787
Last time I asked Vicky, they flip what would be the "back" of your image. I would personally ask whoever you're communicating with, and give them a visual of what you want your charms to look like. That's what I did with Vicky.

>> No.9471845
File: 429 KB, 368x724, vograce flip.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9471787
You would do them as you want them to print. This is how I format mine. Your text should not be mirrored at all. If you have words on both sides, but with a flipped image, you need to make sure that the text is all legible.

>> No.9471849
File: 130 KB, 541x695, vograceflip2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9471845
A quick example of what I mean. If you wanted the letter P to show up on Pikachu with the image flipped but the letter still facing the correct direction, this is what you would do.

>> No.9471860

>>9471845
>>9471849
Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful!

>>9471837
I'll probably also do some mock-ups to send with it because I want a strange cut line, thanks!

>> No.9471947

>>9471599
Well the good news is almost everyone on AANI has an IQ of <75. I doubt they could figure out how to custom order from a Chinese seller.

>> No.9471979

>>9471947
>I doubt they could figure out how to custom order from a Chinese seller.
>shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ancient chinese secret :D

>> No.9471992

>>9471979
Most can't even figure out how to draw B)

>> No.9471994
File: 25 KB, 274x266, 1484663559580.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9471992
S a v a g e

>> No.9471995

>>9471979
Girl please, we have people in these threads that can't even figure out how to use Vograce. I really doubt most of AANI will be able to do it.

>> No.9471998

>>9471979
i get what you're saying but people are literally afraid to order from vograce JUST because its a chinese company instead of an english-based one lol

>> No.9472002
File: 389 KB, 1152x2048, 4OYAUa4PbrTfmnHYj8rh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm seeing something floating around twitter right now, and apparently someone baked some cookies and put sewing needles in it, then gave it to an artist in AA in I think in Taiwan last week. This was apparently over some undertale fanart because "muh ships" discourse or something.

Now that this sort of thing is getting a decent amount of attention I'm a little concerned for this happening in the west, especially since people already bring homemade goods for artists they like. I want to say "maybe people won't be this crazy lol" but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm paranoid but I'm hoping this is just going to be the whole "needles in candies" myth around Halloween.

Chinese thread as source.
>plurk.com/p/m80zjc

>> No.9472009

>>9472002
Seems like clickbait and probably not real.

>> No.9472010
File: 71 KB, 600x450, absolutely disgusting.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9472002
What the actual fuck. This is the "send Voltron shippers links to child porn" shit all over again. For fuck's sake, we're all nerds and weebs! When did this kind of militant shit become acceptable?

>> No.9472025

>>9472009
>>9472010
I learned about this from more popular artists I follow and had to follow up to see if this was fake or not. Apparently the artist in question filed a police report. This is being discussed on weibo in a thread.

>> No.9472026

>>9472002
i've never been more glad to have severe food allergies and a legit reason to refuse any and all food from people

>> No.9472028

http://www.anime-expo.org/anime-expospja-investigated-concerns-complaints/ They released a statement

>> No.9472030

>>9472009
The person made a follow up post with a photo of their hospital visit records that are dated and have the doctor's signature and namestamp, so I doubt it's faked.

>> No.9472032

>>9472028
>The SJW anti-white cunt got her way.
I had some popular artist friends tell me they don't go to AX because of the internal politics. Seems like all of the volunteers are a circle-jerking clique of pearl-clutching tumblrites.

>> No.9472042

>>9472028
wow so she got booted after all huh

>> No.9472043

>>9472002
...honestly I wouldn't accept homemade food from someone I didn't know. I'd be polite but I sure as hell wouldn't eat it. People are fucking nuts, especially in fandoms

>> No.9472045

>>9472028
is the volunteer still working for ax though? it looks like she cleaned up some of her twitter

>> No.9472046

>>9472028
I'm wondering if she chose to not participate herself due to the backlash or if AX banned her for this year. The statement isn't very clear on that part because they just say that she won't be participating.

Anyway, let this be a lesson. Keep your personal social media separate from your art social media. Learn to say stuff like that behind a locked twitter instead of putting it out there publicly. I don't mind that lohkay draws fetish porn but it was stupid of her to pick fights on her main twitter since it's her art/business handle as well.

>> No.9472054

>>9472028
>Our social media policy prohibits bullying in any form.
>Bully an artist out of the AA
Riiiight. Fuck AX.

>> No.9472060

>>9472054
I remember hearing this before somewhere, but unless a group is explicitly and expressedly right-wing, it's only a matter of time before it gets taken over by SJWs.
I can't tell you how many online communities have been ruined by sjws infiltrating and becoming mods. I'm sure the same thing is true for any community that has higher-ups and volunteers.

>> No.9472077

>>9472054
How was lohkay bullied out of the AA though? It just kind of sounds like AX/SPJA made an executive decision because of the social media backlash. That's a private company doing damage control. Just don't cause public online shitstorms with an account linked to your business and you'll be fine.

>>9472060
I'm sorry you can't be a bigoted edgelord without there being consequences anymore. Life must be very hard for you.

>> No.9472088

>>9472077
the @anotherauthor volunteer was leading a crusade against her, went as far as to file police reports over her and harass AX staff to boot her

she might not be the reason why lohkay was booted, but until this statement's release she was actively encouraging people to harass lohkay even though lohkay's completely withdrawn from social media out of shame. i don't agree w lohkay, but this is pretty much textbook bullying, and just because she didn't like lohkay's content. like... lol?

>> No.9472104

>>9472077
>>9472077
The volunteer should have acted professional as well and not e-argued for days and fucking called the cops on an artist she didn't like. You complain about Lohkay being "unprofessional" but she is only one artist representing herself, and never actually went after any specific person to bully. Alexandria started a witch hunt under the name of AX, and called the police on a person doing nothing illegal.
>be a bigoted edgelord without there being consequences anymore
Uhh.. when weren't there consequences? Just look what happened to the athiesm movement or occupy walstreet. Both turned into sjw wankfests. It happens to a lot of online communities. These people just love being morality police and have savior complexes, so you often find them trying to infiltrate communities to exercise power.

>> No.9472115

>>9472077
The volunteer is 19 and a fucking first time attendee who went on a fucking powertrip and claimed they could get Fakku banned from AX.

>> No.9472117
File: 38 KB, 634x326, 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9472115
They also reported every NSFW doujin artist as well.

>> No.9472123

>>9472117
>trying to get businesses dropped from AX

What a great representation of the con

>> No.9472124

>>9472117
I can't wait until she finds out about the screaming Yaoi dude.

>> No.9472127

>>9472117
being a bottom-rung first-time volunteer sure got to her head, huh

>> No.9472133

>>9472117
I can't believe AX is defending this trash. Nothing is going to happen to AX since it's too big of a con, that's the worst part.

>> No.9472135

>>9472133
Anime Expo: our volunteers might report you to the police!

>> No.9472138

Am I the only one that doesn't care about this shit?

>> No.9472141

>>9472138
This is AX drama, should stay in an AX thread.

>> No.9472158

>>9472138
>>9472141
it's annoying to see this unfold because if sjws think they can get away reporting artists they don't like, it'll become an issue for artists at other cons

>> No.9472169

>>9472158
Exactly. I'm going to try to find a contact number for staff at AX because clearly they don't understand how far this shit can go and how damaging it can be for all their artists. I know a ton of artists who table at AX that also draw porn, this is just going to make them feel like they can get dropped at any time if someone has a grudge.

>>9472077
None of this has anything to do with lohkay being a "bigoted edgelord" and it has everything to do with her drawing "icky" porn. She said a stupid thing but what really set them off was the fact that she draws dirty porn.

>> No.9472183
File: 64 KB, 616x407, 1494305441783.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9472169
>they can get dropped at any time if someone has a grudge
Not even just that, this girl called the fucking police. Nothing Lohkay did was illegal, or even against AX policy. She had no reason to be prohibited from AX, let alone get involved with the law.
So, if you draw doujins sjws might not like, be prepared to potentially be bullied online, lose your source of income, and have the cops show up to your house.

>> No.9472186

>>9472117
when did cons become the 1950's

>> No.9472188

>>9472186
When they let sjws takeover their staff, such is the fate of many once decent institutions.

>> No.9472190

>>9472138
I dunno, it's pretty pertinent to my decision to table at AX or not. It's not like I bring nsfw to cons, but that doesn't mean I don't draw it and post it online. Even if my nsfw is pretty strictly locked unlike lohkay, the possibility that touching AX will lead to someone digging my blog up- must make a list of unsafe artist who draws icky sex stuff amirite- and crusading against me is... unappealing.

>> No.9472210

>>9472138
agreeing with >>9472190, people already dig up people's nsfw blogs to drag their name through the mud, i'm hesitant if i can lose a table over it

>> No.9472232

>>9472138
Yes, you are. Congrats.

Meanwhile, the rest of us who are able to see potential long term consequences of this sort of shit appreciate having the information in this thread.

>> No.9472234

>>9472124
I love screaming yaoi man, he's a fucking freak. Anyway, I won't be surprised if this is the absolute last time they'll be volunteering at AX once they see that none of this shit is working. And despite the "counseling", it seems it didn't mean shit to her.

>> No.9472281

Am I the only one who thinks AX's message is directed more towards the volunteer? It isn't explicitly said that lohkay was banned, just that she wasn't participating this year (which could just be a safety thing considering the threats she got).

On the other hand
>The volunteer was counseled about SPJA’s social media policies.
>only official AX channels [...] are a source for accurate information about anything relating to Anime Expo.

It seems more like they're trying to cut off the volunteer from their image than lohkay lol.

>> No.9472284

>>9472281
Though it does sound like they're chastising her, I would honestly rather see them say she's been dismissed. She was talking about "blocking doors" if she had to and inviting people to spam the reporting form. She's not anyone I would trust with any type of authority.

>> No.9472289

>>9472284

No it would be in their best interest to just leave it at the statement. Once the con comes around next year all will be forgotten. Hell it will be forgotten in the next month.

>> No.9472292

>>9472289
Well, what they should do and what I want them to do are two different things, to be fair. This shit makes me want to volunteer at more cons just to have a better opportunity to be a buffer against egotistical morons like this girl.

>> No.9472300

>>9472292

Yeah, that's fair. And volunteer if you want, but no matter what group you are a part of, no matter what it is, there will always be bad apples. The problem is that with social media nowadays information travels instantly and can snowball no matter what you do.

It also might simply be the area.

>> No.9472309
File: 62 KB, 640x603, IMG_2455.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the damage has been done, but thank fuck

>> No.9472315

>>9472309
Blessed.

>> No.9472337

>>9472309
>dignity
I don't think she knows what that word means.

>there will always be bad apples
Definitely, but these types being so vocal and clearly feeling empowered mean I feel like I have more of an obligation to step my game up and encourage more people to discuss how drawn porno is not a fucking social justice issue.

>> No.9472347

>>9472315
Are you glad you ruined another person's con?

>> No.9472361

>>9472347
That's the ego maniac volunteer, not the artist.

>> No.9472371

Can't we not have these annoying drama posts in our AA thread?

I doubt any of us here sell hardcore porn at any of our booths and ecchi is nowhere close to the kind of material that she made.

Personally the more people like her that are out of AAs the easier it should be for the rest of us to actually sell because attendees won't be scared away.

>> No.9472373

>>9472347
See >>9472361 and yes because of said reason. When you volunteer for an event, you're a representative of the company and typically their views. You are told this going into the application since you have to agree to terms. A volunteer has no power or right to speak for a company, especially over extreme bias. Even if you're an employee, you don't do this. God knows what possessed them to get this big of a head over a powerless and pay-less position.

>> No.9472385

>>9472371
can you read? people are concerned because even if you don't sell porn at the con you can get reported, which is bs

>> No.9472388

>>9472385
also, since when has porn stopped people from going into aa lol

>> No.9472401

>>9472371
If you get approved for a table I don't think someone should be able to "report" you for drawing something you're not bringing to the con. If you draw furry vore in your free time but are only bringing SFW anime waifus, you shouldn't even have to be jeopardized just because someone "found out" about the porn.

This is the concern.

>> No.9472433

>>9472388
but think of the children!

>> No.9472435

>>9472337
The fucking idiot doesn't even understand the legality of it all, just assuming that rape = bad means any cartoons with that or anything else they view as bad is illegal.

Also the real shame here is that she stepped down herself, so she'll be even more insufferable and self-righteous about this horseshit.

>> No.9472454

>>9472281
What I don't understand is why she wasn't let go. First year volunteer who's never stepped foot in AX before. Sound like it's less trouble just to dismiss her. It's not like she'd lose any income, it was a volunteer position.

>> No.9472456

>>9472309
I honestly wish lohkay decided to keep her table just to hear this bitch squeal on twitter even more.

>> No.9472458

>>9472388
It hasn't. But the sjws are concern trolling AX to try and get them to do what they want.

>> No.9472461

>>9472371
Fuck off. You don't even know what you're talking about.

>>9472401
This is why we're concerned.

>> No.9472462

>>9472124
He's been gone for years, where have you been?

>> No.9472470

>>9472371
This is the main reason why you should be concerned.
>>9472117
She's been reporting more artists, but hasn't been as public about it. If she was allowed to keep doing this, it could be trouble for a hell of a lot of artists. Lohkay wasn't even selling nsfw, she just drew it and posted it online so if you've ever drawn porn or anything an sjw deems "unsafe", they'll try and blacklist you. Even if you don't bring it to the venue.

Honestly as long as an artist is literally threatening people there's no reason to ban them for the content of their online art.

>> No.9472475

>>9472462
The yaoi man who sells doujinshis at a large table? He was at AX last year unless it's a different loud mouth man yelling the similar things.

>> No.9472481

It seems to me this all falls in line with how AX has been pushing to be more family friendly each year. If you haven't done anything wrong I don't think you have anything to fear.

>> No.9472482

>>9472475
the yaoi paddle guy was told no more selling them, then he left on his own. the screamer wasn't allowed to scream about his red hot yaoi anymore from complaints.

>> No.9472485

>>9472002
>accepting and eating unpackaged food from an unknown stranger

It's like they want to die.

>> No.9472486

>>9472482
While cringe, I found the screamer entertaining and it made it easier to find his booth in the swarm that was the Exhibition Hall. Sucks, but also understandable. Quiet sage for OT.

>> No.9472487

>>9472481
Why do they need to appeal to a larger demographic? It's already shoulder to shoulder there as it is.
>nothing to hide nothing to fear
This is just hentai. If every anime fan who didn't consume/produce hentai was banned from an anime con, well...

>> No.9472491

>>9472485
I'm guessing not every country has the same concerns, but artists have admitted in tweets to eating homemade gifts from fans. While I find it a kind gesture, I personally would just kind of toss it once I got back to the hotel since I'm a paranoid person.

>> No.9472492

Do perler bead booths still exist at artist alleys? It's really sad to have a slot that could've gone to a talented artist is taken up by someone who takes someone's pixel art and converts it into perler

>> No.9472494

>>9472491
True. I'm also paranoid as fuck but it might also be due me living in the U.S, after the whole scare craze of poisoned candy and razor blades in apples.

>> No.9472496

>>9472492
I hate pearler bead art, god.
It looks so bad, and it's never original.
It's just a fucking waste of time and resources.

>> No.9472497

>>9472496
>>9472492
I personally like the look of it but only when it's the large works.

>> No.9472499

>>9472028
>http://www.anime-expo.org/anime-expospja-investigated-concerns-complaints/
Who is this about? That bestiality artist?

>> No.9472506
File: 63 KB, 581x637, 09230923.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9472454
it kinda sounds rather than officially booting the volunteer, they kind of pressed her to quit. should've still kicked her though, her twitter is an embarrassment to read with how righteous she's acting

>> No.9472508

>>9472028
Why are they quoting their youth protection policy? How is that relevant?

>> No.9472511

>>9472508
their youth protection policy might be the only piece of ax's contract that says "pls no bully" is my guess, even though the artist in question isn't a minor

>> No.9472513

>>9472485
I've done it before. Admittedly not the best decision ever, I was worried at first but my table mate ate it before I did so I was like heck, why not. It was good, but next time I'll have to up the stranger danger radar haha...need to be more aware.

>> No.9472536

>>9472511
>The volunteer was counseled about SPJA’s social media policies.

>> No.9472537

>>9472485
i see artists offer free prints or charms for people who bring them a meal, because they don't have a helper or friend to make a food run for them... guess everyone should prepare to starve

>> No.9472541

>>9472506
>victim blaming
This girl is fucking obsessed with being a victim holy shit. Her entire twitter is full of "white people hurt me", "straight people hurt me", "men hurt me", and so on. She's just so fucking in love with herself. It's a shame people condone this destructive behavior as "justice".

>> No.9472563

>>9472475
>>9472486
Who is this yaoi screamer guy? Is he at the AA or vendor hall? Does he just sell porno doujins?

>> No.9472586

>>9472485
There was only one time I took food from a fan/customer. I asked her where she got her melonpan from, she told me she bought it in the dealers' room, and then I told her she could have a poster and a keychain if she'd buy me some too. Remember to bring a table helper with you so you don't end up being the sad artist sending your customers on food runs for you.

>> No.9472589

>>9472563
His legend is already fading away, I see.

>>9472309
kek, someone commented
>You can't get a hotel as a first year anyways unless you're a paid staff head lmao

>> No.9472594

>>9472506
>volunteer is now publishing her "threats"
Ah yes, the Anita Sarkeesian method of success. she should open up a patreon soon.

>> No.9472596

>>9472371

I sell hardcore pornography at cons that allow it. We're on 4chan and you assume everyone's SFW here? Although it's not close to what she's made, people have tried to make social justice issues out of it more than once. So I'm very interested in information about this issue.

>> No.9472602

To me the dangers lie in where the line is drawn if it's given in even a little bit.

Without doubt you'll end up having people trying to ban artists for "this ship is abusive and problematic" and saying the depiction of the characters triggers abuse flashbacks or something.

>> No.9472604

>https://twitter.com/thedreamcreek/status/862492511205380097
Seems like an accurate compilation of the events, from what I remember.

>> No.9472612

>>9472589
I'll think of him whenever I see yaoi hand dorito chins in AA...

>>9472506
While this is good news, they should have outright terminated her instead of just quietly pressuring. It would have been better PR considering they didn't even follow their own damn policy. Would also be nice if we knew for sure lohkay decided not to attend or if she was asked to leave. Leaving it vague like that just makes us all worry and we want answers.

>> No.9472647

>>9472604
This seems to be suggesting a ban for the artist would be justified if it was because of her personally held views. That's not really any better.

>> No.9472651

>>9472647
People claim that it would be justified because she was openly hostile to bisexuals on her twitter, but how the fuck was she gonna pick out bisexuals from the crowd and scream at them?

>> No.9472656

>>9472604
>#he'snotmypresident
>artist should still be banned for biphobia tho
Damn all of these people are different shades of retard.

>> No.9472657

>>9472651
Nothing about what lohkay tweeted was "threatening" holy shit. These people are so goddam sheltered, lel. hurt my feelings=physical threat

>> No.9472665
File: 221 KB, 359x239, catface.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>when you trying to lambast someone on twitter but it backfires because you're a bigger retard and everyone hates you and also you get fired

>> No.9472696
File: 75 KB, 1210x202, yetanother19yo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9472183
Someone else talked about lohkay to the police? I'm getting the impression that "investigate" is a dramatization though.

>> No.9472698

>>9472696
This person is another name popping up everywhere. Seems to have a personal grudge against lohkay despite claiming only one of her "fans" sent her underage shit. Even then, these people think shota is illegal and act like they're saints for crusading against it. I don't really think she has anything incriminating against anyone, to be honest.

>> No.9472701

>>9472698
Yeeeah, reading through her tweets she thinks shota is literally child pornography.
Her story is that one of lohkay's fans sent her "child pornography", which probably means her and another fujo were skyping each other and sharing fujoshi fanart.

As for calling the police, these people need to fucking calm down. Seeing anime porn online is not the same as being assaulted and irl child molestation. But the hysterical way that they react makes it seem like a fucking global catstrophe. Now I understand when sjws are exposed to legitimately shocking news they "literally can't even".

>> No.9472702

>>9472698
Was that the same person? She kept saying that someone sent her cp, but was it actually cp or just shota/loli.

>> No.9472704

>>9472702
She refers to shota as literally CP on her twitter so she's most likely overhyping shit to make her seem more relevant.
If she was shown legitimate CP I'd imagine her to go to the police much sooner, and not months/years later after starting a twitter scandal.

>> No.9472710
File: 164 KB, 160x198, 2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9472696
Can you imagine the cops' reactions to being called out to investigate some random artist drawing cartoon porn of "underage children" who turn out to be cartoon characters?

>> No.9472715

>>9472710
I WAS HARASSED WITH CHILD PORNOGRAPHY. I FEARED FOR MY SAFETY AND THE SAFETY OF OTHER INNOCENT BISEXUAL CHILDREN BECAUSE MY ABUSER WAS SO AGGRESSIVE. I'm warning you officer if this person gets within eyeshot of a child she WILL abuse them.
>the reason? she draws little naked anime characters online and said on twitter bi people are faking it while living thousands of miles away from me and I have no contact with her other than fighting with someone online who defended her. Now arrest her officer.

>> No.9472718

>>9472710
>>9472715
She tweeted selfies of herself after meeting with the cops. Does she want someone to tell her she did a good job? These people talk like it's for the children, when it's mostly about their hero complex, isn't it?

>> No.9472729
File: 72 KB, 750x430, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9472718
This girl is such a moron holy shit.

>> No.9472731

>>9472729
What imaginary mental disease does she have to justify begging for money?

>> No.9472733

>>9472731
the one that means you can't criticize her.

>> No.9472738

>>9472729
>says shota is 'LITERALLY!!! CHILD PORN??? OMG!?!'
>has a shota as their icon

really activates my almonds

>> No.9472742

>>9472729
>>9472696

This whole entire shit is like a nesting doll and each one is uglier than the last.

>> No.9472749

>>9472729
The worst part is that these kind of people mean it too.

This is why I don't ever give money to stuff like "I'm getting kicked out of my house for being gender fluid!!" Because I can't guarantee it's just some twat like this

>> No.9472760
File: 120 KB, 605x331, ????.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9472729

I'm. Just.

>> No.9472766

>>9472760
Did she just post an actual dead treath

>> No.9472767

>>9472760
>wanting to take away someone's source of income
>want them to go to jail
>want them to die
Holy shit, all because she said bisexuals don't real and drew weird porn. SJWs don't give a fuck about justice, they're fucking insane. Worst part is, they don't get treatment, in fact, they get encouragement.

>> No.9472770

>>9472760
archive b4 she deletes it

>> No.9472777
File: 1.21 MB, 1409x2087, Screenshot_20170511-022940.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9472729
Who would've guessed the money hungry sjw was a hamburgler
Shota disgusts me so much but at the end of the day they're fucking cartoons lmao

>> No.9472780

>>9472777
Oh look, a fat white girl who dresses with an outfit that screams lumberjack and hair that screams "scene's not dead." What a shocker.

>> No.9472781

>>9472777
All this real world child exploitation going on and she's concerned with cartoons. Priorities.

>> No.9472782
File: 66 KB, 1102x214, maybesheshouldbeacop.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9472777
Sure Jan. Also this chick thinks that shipping a fictional 18 yo and a fictional 16 yo is pedophilia, why am I not surprised.

>> No.9472784

>>9472782
>taking lohkay to court
Oh please, please do. I want this to go all the way to the damn supreme court so we can finally settle once and for all that drawing shota is legal.
I would watch that shit like the fukin oj trial, shit

>> No.9472786

>>9472782
If they take her to court I'll personally fund Lohkay's lawyer just to see this shit go down

>> No.9472796

>>9472786
Same here. That's a Kickstarter/GoFundMe I'd actually back.

>> No.9472862

>>9472710
Alright, been trying to ignore this (don't know the artist in question so don't really care to know every minute detail as it occurs) and this girl does sound like she's overreacting/going crazy but shota/loli is fucking gross. Like I never understood how it being cartoons supposedly makes it fine (or why that's always the excuse fan artists give)

Is this whole issue about whether artists should be banned for that or because some volunteer/staff got personally insulted by something? I'm really hoping it's the latter

>> No.9472872

>>9472784
depending on the state it's not illegal to begin with

it's completely legal in california for example

>> No.9472876

>>9472862
>I never understood how it being cartoons supposedly makes it fine
>real CP means an actual child was abused/raped
>a cartoon is a drawing
Anon are you for real

>> No.9472881

>>9472862
in many places it's legally fine because no actual children were used to create it. morally is a different argument altogether and silly to begin with. we have media which depicts death and violence everywhere and no one seems to care about that. but imaginary children? oh fuck better call the cops

it's the latter. batshit powertripping volunteer tries to represent AX and cyberbullies an artist into submission. i mean you're a fucking volunteer. AX later voluntolds her into leaving (stepping down lmao, you're a fucking volunteer...)

>> No.9472885

>>9472190
Okay. Went back to read more of this despite still finding it pretty eh (should've been moved to another thread imo but moving on). Tbh that's why I've always refused to draw anything NSFW. That shit follows you and I'd rather not have that associated with my name since I'm not just selling in AA. The fact is, yes, people will hold that against you and it can hurt your chances in the future. I think that's just something you know going into it and have to be careful of.

That being said, I can see the problem it could pose for a lot of people. But cons get to set the rules. This girl is a mess but AX obviously agrees with what she's saying so now you know not to table there. As for other cons adopting this policy, only time will tell but it's doubtful considering the way this is being handled.

Something more had to have happened for this to become what it is now. Volunteer girl may be going on a rampage but I doubt the artist is completely innocent. Seems like the volunteer is going on a revenge kick. If you stay relatively lowkey, I don't think you have much to worry about

>> No.9472890

>>9472885
>AX obviously agrees with what she's saying
How do you know? I haven't been able to determine whether the artist was banned or chose not to attend.

>> No.9472899

>>9472885
>If you stay relatively lowkey, I don't think you have much to worry about.
This, desu. The only reason why the entire lohkay fiasco started is because she said shitty things publicly on her business twitter and started online fights with people. The fetish porn thing was only dragged out AFTER her public meltdown re: bi people. If you don't share controversial opinions on your art-related social media, you'll be fine. People only went looking for dirt on her because she was drawing attention to herself. Don't rock the boat, keep your personal twitter separate from your art/business twitter, and you should be good. The amount of fear-mongering in this thread is honestly a little ridiculous.

>> No.9472907

>>9472885
>should've been moved to another thread imo but moving on
A lot of the artists ITT draw adult content and if we're going to start getting targeted for doing so, it's good to know what to expect. It's generally AA relevant, IMO, and no other thread really would have been appropriate.

>That shit follows you
I know several artists who are very prolific and open with their porn art - really explicit and kinky porn art at that - who are in their 30s with flourishing careers and stable relationships. It only "follows" you if you're ashamed of it.

>But cons get to set the rules.
AX allows 18+ materials to be sold by both AA artists and dealer hall vendors, in addition to partnering with Fakku (a site that hosts schoolgirl gangbang porn and sells doujinshi with far more extreme content). Their rules they set explicitly SUPPORT adult content and porn.

>If you stay relatively lowkey, I don't think you have much to worry about
If you were talking about airing shitty opinions, I agree. But if you're talking about drawing porn in general, you should not have to keep your head low to keep from getting kicked out of a con that supports 18+ content. What's more, there's currently an Overwatch zine whose participant list is being stalked by antis so they can harass the artists that are shipping "bad" ships. This behavior and the way people are acting about lohkay are pretty linked IMO and you need to not shrug it off. It's easy to ignore until these emotionally stunted teenagers deem your personal brand of weird to be unacceptable and put you in their crosshairs. Today it's someone drawing age gap porn, tomorrow it's you because you drew two characters who hate each other holding hands and that's "supporting abuse."

tl;dr it's less about lohkay and her brand of weird porn and more about the precedent this sort of thing sets.

>> No.9472909

>>9472876
...Do you guys not know that pedophiles use media to groom children? This is just a fact, not some made up sjw crap. There have been studies that show this type of content normalizes their behavior. It can LEAD to child abuse, hence why it's so divisive in the first place. ANYWAY

Wasn't going to get into that since it's really not the main topic at hand but don't try to act like drawing childlike characters in sexual acts isn't a bit fucked up. It's still questionable why fujoshits want to defend it so hard but, as someone else mentioned, that's more of a moral issue.

Draw all the loli/shota you want, I won't try to get you banned or something, but I will judge you and definitely avoid the hell out of you.

>>9472899
Yeah, general rule of thumb is you probably shouldn't be an ass on your public business account. If you draw nsfw, nobody is going to boo-hoo about it unless you're doing something to piss them off

>> No.9472926

>>9472909
>Do you guys not know that pedophiles use media to groom children
Pedophiles use all sorts of methods and media to groom children, it still doesn't change the fact that loli/shota are not depicting children and is not made to be shown to children, it is media made for adults by adults. If some predator takes porn and shows it to a kid with the intent to groom them, it's not the responsibility of the person who made the porn, the blame lies with the predator.

>> No.9472930

>>9472907
>It's easy to ignore until these emotionally stunted teenagers deem your personal brand of weird to be unacceptable and put you in their crosshairs. Today it's someone drawing age gap porn, tomorrow it's you because you drew two characters who hate each other holding hands and that's "supporting abuse."
I guess I just never get so deeply involved in fandoms that I'm engaging with these kinds of people so it always seemed like a rare occurrence to me. You can't ever avoid crazy fans, unfortunately. Just look earlier and see the sewing needle in the cookie.

I guess the main way to deal with this would be to screen volunteers better and NOT let them go on Twitter rampages. They could've stopped some of this by getting rid of her early on.

I don't really think this is going to set a precedent since the volunteer is making herself look insane.

>> No.9472937

>>9472930
I really hope you're right, anon. Fandoms seem to be getting more and more hostile, though. Hopefully it's just an ebb and flow of things and it will calm down.

>> No.9473000

>>9472909
You said it, we should definitely be looking at the creator's of the content to stop producing that garbage instead of expecting people to have any modicum of decency when it comes to handling said art. In my personal opinion we should next start focusing on any cosplayers of characters that are from shows of questionable content. Stuff like that titty monster from that dragon maid show that sexually assaults a helpless child. We can round up the cosplayers, take some photos and post it to the AX twitter. We'd need to have some sort of brand so people have an easy reference point, I'm thinking #BanimeExpo ? Anyway Jack Thompson was right the arabs used Doom to learn how to perform 9/11

>> No.9473002

>>9473000
Oh please, calm your tits. I said that I wasn't advocating rounding everyone up that draws questionable content and shooting them but let's not play dumb. I'd have more respect if people admitted that it can be fucked up.

>> No.9473008

>>9473002
You're right. #DontPlayDumb would be a better hashtag

>> No.9473012

>>9473008
Just make sure you send my royalties

>> No.9473014

>>9473002
Everyone I know who draws problematic content is well aware it's problematic and warns for it thoroughly. Is that not admission enough or what?

>> No.9473031

>>9472485
That's sad, I always make sure to bring some snacks to my favorite artists. Sometimes it's homemade cookies, sometimes it's chocolates or candy. Though I guess that they're used to me by now

>> No.9473033

>Now with 50% more dramu

>> No.9473036

>>9473014
Have you not read the posts in this thread?

>> No.9473043

>>9473031
i think as long as it's packaged in the original packaging and is obviously not tampered with (like small packs of sweets) you should be ok.

>> No.9473067

>>9472492
Yes, but it seems like there have been less trash artists lately. I think only the good ones are still doing it.

>> No.9473106

>>9472909
Fuck off back to Tumblr

>> No.9473154

>>9472138
I more pissed off that they will not address the bigger elephant from last year. Instead they throw out some PR statment thats so vague they made me to internet detective to find out the subject matter.

>> No.9473176

>>9472909
One, I have a hard time seeing how lohkay's art could be used to groom a child considering how stylized it is and how dark/negative it is. Two, like >>9472926 said, the blame resides with the pedophile who wants to groom a child. Burning the creator of the porn is essentially punishing them for a hypothetical situation where they still aren't the direct cause of harm imo.

>> No.9473194

Damn, doesn't take much to piss of the fujoshits does it?

>> No.9473203

>>9472777
iirc one of lohkay's followers had sent her actual real CP, that's what she was reporting

>> No.9473204

>>9473194
Who is the fujoshit here and what do they have to do with anything? SJW and fujoshits are often at odds because the former likes to monitor the latter's kinky porn consumption.

>> No.9473228

>>9473203
Yeah, it seems like the person who sent her CP is an actual lowcow that spammed the farmers with real CP. What a mess everywhere, these idiots really do attract each other.

>> No.9473243

>>9473228
What the fuck? This is just getting ridiculous

>> No.9473334

>>9473204
Didn't the volunteer read Killing Stalking? That's like prime fujo material.

>> No.9473378

>>9472909
>it LEADS to abuse
Idk how to tell you this, anon.
But pedophiles lead to abuse. Whether it's in cartoons or not, they'll find a way to hurt people.

>> No.9473381

>>9473203
Ew that's gross. Then report the follower, not lohkay?

>> No.9473385

guys can we move all this drama to a seperate thread please? I really just want to see the normal AA shit and cgl wank again

>> No.9473391

>>9473385
I think it would make sense and this thread really needs to get back on track. This whole AX shit is AA related, sure, but it's become too much of a clusterfuck for this thread

>> No.9473392
File: 110 KB, 650x385, 18341806_1127394937365561_6742469213298077248_n.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Fun to see what a few years does though!

>> No.9473396

>>9472002
ugh this makes my stomach turn.

I have a customer who has always given me a box of strawberry pocky at my table for the last 8 years. I'm agreeing with everyone else that I would never take homemade food though.

I love nice people like her but this cookie asshole ruins it for genuinely nice fans/customers.

>> No.9473397

>>9473392
Oh god. This is my biggest art fear. I hope I never plateau like that.

>> No.9473406

>>9473392
>thumbnail looks like 2015
>oh thats not TOO awful for a couple of years. could be much better much quicker if they really get down to it
>actually 2013
>mfw i have no face

>> No.9473407

>>9473392
stagnanation is terrifying

>> No.9473408

>>9473392
How do you stagnate like this? Like as long as you at least attempt to draw even just once a week you should get at least a little bit better right?

>> No.9473411

>>9473392
This is what happens when people convince themselves that their work is already amazing and they don't need to change anything

>> No.9473419

>>9473408
They pigeonholed themself with that chibi style

>> No.9473429

>>9473419
I've seen chibi only artists improve a lot, though. This is just the result of what happens when asspats matter more than CC.

>> No.9473441

>>9473392
>>9473408

I am so terrified of becoming this because I feel like no matter how much studying I do I never get better. Unfortunately, even if you draw every day and with concentrated efforts to learn and improve, I think if you have no talent/natural aptitude, nothing will stick or at best you will learn much more slowly than other people.

>> No.9473447

>>9473385
Agreed. It's getting cluttered in here with irrelevant shit.

>>9473392
For a moment, I thought left was old art and right was new art and now I'm throughly horrified.

>> No.9473476

>>9473441
Yeah no, you just suck. You're probably not understanding what you're even using as practices. Go to /ic/, find the artbook thread, download a few how to draw books, and try again.

>> No.9473500

>>9473476
someone's in a bad mood

>> No.9473583

>>9473500
I'm in a bad mood because I don't agree with the notion that you can never be truly good at art if you don't have natural talent? I'm sorry, but that idea is just a bullshit excuse for not truly working on improving your art. Natural talent will only get you so far. True progress comes from working on your skills.

>> No.9473606

>>9473583
But that's what the anon said? They're just saying that you'll improve faster if you have the aptitude and they feel like they don't?

>> No.9473614

>>9473583
Which you should've just said in the first place

>> No.9473629

>>9473419
yeah, the owl is improved bc its not chibi

>> No.9473763
File: 138 KB, 960x720, 17992216_1110417522396636_2429092537887516266_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9473392
ugh, I hate that art style sooo much. Looks like a kid's artwork.

>> No.9473782

>>9473763
I wonder if anyone buys that stuff. Their prices aren't even crazy cheap or anything.

>> No.9473799

>>9473763
Why do these look like 2d funko pops

>> No.9473818

>>9473763
How is it always the shittiest artists that have the most stuff?

>> No.9473820

>>9473799
Too accurate.

>>9473782
They must, surely? I mean this is the kind of booth I give a cursory glance at most, but I assume they attract the same kind of people who buy funko pops like another anon mentioned. Cheap and nerdy = sales.

>> No.9473826

>>9473818
Because they can produce it very quickly. Turn over enough products and you're bound to find SOMEBODY who will buy it.

>>9473799
Big heads, slim bodies, and simplistic poses. That's the hallmark of funko pops.

I actually have designs with the simplistic eyes and I'm trying to not go into funko pop mode with it.

>> No.9473858

>>9473763
>tiny low quality chibi prints
>pearler beads
>laminated copy paper "keychains"
>play doh "charms"

All stuff I see at AAs en masse. But do they even sell? I can't help but think that the people who sell this stuff are the same people who get excited when they break even at a convention.

>> No.9473874

>>9470217
Your art isn't their art.

There will always be someone better than you, but people are coming to you not for the skill in which you make the art. They are coming to you because of the meaning and intent in which you make it.

Mom's home-cooked meal might never be as well made as a 5-star restaurant's, but that doesn't change the fact that it can mean more to you or the people close to her than a pricey meal could. You should see your art the same way, especially if you're making enough to do well sales-wise. Clearly people care and want to support what you do.

>> No.9473882

>>9473799
Thats exactly it. I hate those things.

>> No.9473890

>>9473826
That's true. There was one bad chibi artist I used to follow that had a new keychain drawn up every day. Her setup is pretty similar to this one too

>> No.9473892

>>9471558
Bring prints, don't fall for the small merchandising meme. If people want to get something of yours and you put out 1 or 2 dollar items, they'll take that instead of the 10 dollar print or what have you feeling satisfied. You need to sell 5-10 minor things for every single print sale you miss out on by having smaller stuff laying around.

The problem is most artists aren't in business, so they are terrible at marketing themselves and turning a profit. If a booth and all the setup costs 250 USD, you can either sell over 100 trinkets, or 10-25 prints over 2-3 days to break even.

>> No.9473904

>>9473892
Due to the growing popularity if itabags, people have been going to AAs specifically for small trinkets though, especially badges and acrylic keychains.

>> No.9473906

Do you guys do any scummy things to boost sales? I always pick a couple of prints to mark as "sold out" by mid-day Friday to make it look like you should buy something from my table before that gets sold out, too.

>> No.9473913

>>9473904
Doesn't change the fact that you're having to sell 5-10 for every missed print sale if you didn't have them on the table.

>> No.9473919

>>9473906
It's a little scummy but common. Just like those prize machines that have an empty slot or two to make it more enticing to people.

>> No.9473921

>>9473906
Nope. If I have sold out on something it means it sold out. Also I've overheard some guy walking past my table scoffing at the sign saying shit like I only brought 2 copies of a print, so that sort of thing can backfire.

>> No.9473928
File: 350 KB, 900x1165, horoscope_series___aries___by_sakimichan-d9ybw1t.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9470217
Some of the most skilled artists are also the emptiest of meaning. Pic related. God tier skills don't make good art, they make shiny marketable art with no meaning. If you love your art then people will see that eventually.

>> No.9473942

>>9473906
Lol nah. I used to work at a company that pulled all kinds of marketing manipulation shit that was borderline illegal and I just got fucking sick of it, so I decided in my own business I would be honest and do my best not to manipulate people.

>> No.9473977

>>9473928
I wonder if she still enjoys drawing. I mean it's not like she can exactly draw what she wants, she draws what the people want to see.

Obviously she's getting paid well by doing so but it would kill my passion desu.

>> No.9473984

>>9473913
Anon, most people price their "trinkets" pretty high. Charms and keychains are generally $10~$15 and enamel pins run about similar. Zipper pouches also generally go for about $15. Most print artists sell prints at $15.

You can argue that it costs more to get things manufactured than prints but there's been a decline in print sales lately. If anything I would advice against doing postcard sized prints since that will definitely eat into sales like you said. Branching out into non-print media will only boost your sales unless your art is really terrible.

>> No.9473995

>>9473977
to be honest her work isn't drastically different from before she had a patreon lol....

>> No.9474006

>>9473984
Nayrt but even if you sold stuff on the pricier side of the scale (~$15), a print is typically $20 on average at least on the west coast. I agree prints are on the decline, but a lot of people see prints are very profitable just because of profit margin.

I know some artists who make keychains feel guilty sometimes if it's higher than $10-12 but if you make a fancy product, no one will think twice at the price tag. Whether it just has a great design or an interesting gimmick. I wouldn't be surprised to see anyone's LED charms priced at or near $20 because those are so uncommon. This is just one anon's opinion though.

>> No.9474018

>>9473928
I know most people hate it and it is all the same but at least you can always tell when it's her work

>> No.9474034
File: 500 KB, 1095x1600, 1494098083279.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9473977

That's what I wonder too. Her recent patreon works are so fit to templates and roughly rendered, she's obviously just trying to get stuff done. I think she still likes drawing cute girls/boys because the faces are nice but all the rendering stuff she's known for it seems like she's sick of it.

>> No.9474035

>>9474006
I live on the West Coast, anon. I've seen people do $20 for prints but most people I've seen still do $15 each. I got annoyed because the other anon made it sound like people were selling charms for like $3-5 a pop.

>> No.9474038

>>9471507
>>9471510

So without seeing how this year goes it's really going to be hard to say but A-kon has 300 slots this year compared to about 150 last year. They don't seem to think this will have an impact on artists. I think it's going to make things difficult for a lot of people who aren't legit god tier (even for relatively good artists) but it will probably weed out the truly meh people who were on the verge of not making it in. If you're someone in a niche you might still be able to make a small to decent profit if people can find you. But I really do feel like the mediocre FOTM artists without a "theme" or strong sense of style will struggle.

Last year attendees, in my experience, were unwilling to spend on big items and buy a lot in general. You have a new venue, new city, more artists, and a population that still doesn't want to spend? Recipe for disaster across the board.

Regardless, there are always people who want to get into AA.

>> No.9474039

>>9473385
this is normal wank, bitch

>> No.9474041

>>9474038
We had completely different experiences. Last year, I sold a ton of big items - even more so than small ones and made several thousand on Friday alone. Even during the preview night on Thursday, I had a couple of people drop $80~$100 at my table. I actually noticed less sales on Saturday but I was told it was probably because there was a comic book convention going on at the same time that caused a split between attendees.

Full disclosure, it was my first time doing A-Kon last year so it's possible that people were buying my stuff because they hadn't seen me before. I know returning artists tend to do less well unless they have a ton of new prints/stock. I'm hoping A-Kon's sales don't tank this year because of the move. At the very least I'm om the "good" side of the alley so here's hoping.

>> No.9474045
File: 3.30 MB, 1808x1472, 1493152295171.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9474006
Are prints really on the decline? Or is that just shitty prints? I've been to many anime cons, and I've only seen about 5 or so artists that I actually think are talented enough to warrant buying a print from. All of the print artists I see are usually mediocre with 0 sense of design or composition. Their art may be decent, but it doesn't look good as a presentation piece. You get semi-decent at drawing a human figure and think you made it. Well, I won't just buy something because just looks decently drawn, it has to be a piece of art.

Other times I have bought pictures from not-so technically skilled artists, but their composition, design, and color pallet were very well crafted. I also like gimmicks like mocking game covers, advertisement posters, food menus, album covers, and so on. But, that's just me.

I like to see people with interesting styles. Right now it's usually
>shiny static anime garbage with shiny floating shit in the background (amuria style artwork is STILL a thing),
>scratchy, low-effort, wannabe cal-arts, ugly "tumblr" style garbage. Usually involves shitty memes.
>Girls who only draw cute copic marker drawings of mermaids and fairies who somehow ended up at an anime convention. Can be high-skilled, but most of the time it's not.
>"chibi artists" who are just pitiful.
or
>cutesy pastel animals and cupcakes and shit (I kinda like it but only in small amounts).

I'd love to see artwork from actual draftsmen, people who use perspective, people who can create interesting and dynamic poses, or people who can make intricate and interesting designs and actually have taste. I want a piece of art hanging on my wall, not just a decent rendition of some anime character I like.

Plus, SO many artists sell prints that are just so low quality it's irredeemable. Please people, don't print your shit on cheap cardstock from michaels at your school library. The fairy/mermaid and chibi artists are usually the main culprits.

>> No.9474051

>>9474041

It was my first year, too. It was weird because my sales at A-kon were comparable to my sales at A-fest and San Japan all of which have drastically different numbers. A-kon was more small merch heavy for my customers whereas San Japan was way more of a print con for me.

I chalked last year's stagnation on my end up to 2016 and economic/political stuff since I felt like I had drastically better products and my art had improved. I am definitely in the bottom half of artists this year (but my placement isn't shit?) so it's very difficult for me to say how I think it'll go for me. I've been trying to follow consumer buying in the real world, too, since I think that might give me a better picture of what to expect.

>> No.9474061

>>9474045
My print sales aren't tanking, per se but I'm getting more and more customers who ask for my prints on a non-print item (tote bag, shirt, pencil case). I've noticed a trend where a lot of customers will thank me for offering merch items because they either don't have space on their walls for prints or "can't use" them. I still sell out a couple of my prints every con though. I can sell 40-50 of some of my most popular ones at a single con. The rest of my print sales though have definitely dropped.

I've spoken with my artists friends as well and they've noticed similar customer interactions. In a couple of my friends' cases, their print sales are actually tanking and people will only buy keychains and other merch from them.

>> No.9474064

>>9474045
>I'd love to see artwork from actual draftsmen, people who use perspective, people who can create interesting and dynamic poses, or people who can make intricate and interesting designs and actually have taste. I want a piece of art hanging on my wall, not just a decent rendition of some anime character I like.

Why do you have such high expectations from artist alleys? This kind of person generally has a real job and doesn't have time for what is essentially meant for amateurs/hobbyists, because they're like, working. Just because some people make livings doing AA doesn't mean everyone is there running a business.

>> No.9474074
File: 146 KB, 700x1200, 1493186108704.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9474064
>Why do you have such high expectations from artist alleys?
Because I am an artist myself? Because if you're going to join an "artist" alley I expect good art? I know your average consumer is probably not as picky, but I am. Whether they understand why, many consumers will gravitate towards higher quality prints. However, I realize that there is a certain "soft-cap" on what kind of art normies see as "high quality" vs exceptional. I think if you make all of your work exceptionally unique, it will draw in more customers.

I'm not saying everyone has to be a die-hard artist or craftsman, but the ones who are are probably not suffering from lack of interest. The artist I described above are a diamond dozen, if you don't want to be dragged down with the rest when money gets tight you gotta get gud.

>> No.9474078

>>9474038
I'm in the same boat as >>9474041. I sold out of a lot of items. I had quite a few repeat customers and one girl who bought from me on Friday brought a bunch of friends with her on Saturday. Maybe the fandoms you were focusing on weren't popular (or even maybe too popular)?

>>9474064
People can have opinions. Calm down. You can have a real job and still know how to ACTUALLY draw.

>>9474045
I agree. As an artist, if I'm buying a print, it needs to be something that I wouldn't be able to do myself. My walls have standards, you know!

>> No.9474108

>>9474074

There's nothing wrong with having taste and being picky, but it sounds like you're expecting to find James Jean et al. in AA. People with those high quality skillsets are storyboarding, concepting, or working for magazines or actual publications. It's just not a wonder that you're disappointed.

>>9474078
>Calm down.

Did I not sound calm? Did you want emoticons? ^-^'''

>> No.9474127

>>9474045
>actual draftsmen
I hate to disappoint you, but those people are working in an art department somewhere. Like >>9474108 said, you're not likely to find what you're looking for; try an art gallery instead.

>> No.9474147
File: 41 KB, 278x433, 1489305649730.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9474108
>>9474127
I like my weaboo art but I like it well drawn. There's plenty of japanese and korean anime artists with amazing skill who sell doujins and prints.
I don't think your excuses are very good. I know very talented artists who self publish and work on commission, and I know really shitty artists working in the industry.
I don't think there's an excuse to be mediocre for long. I love some of the stuff sold at AAs, but most of it continues to be borderline average. But hey, why am I complaining? It makes it so people who do have great art have less competition.

>> No.9474165

>>9472117
>nsfw doujin art
>even though it's always fucking labeled 18+ ADULTS ONLY and fucking wrapped in plastic a lot of the time
FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

>> No.9474169

>tfw you feel like calling people lazy sacks of shit because they don't know how to properly google

I must be going crazy. People are like 'I looked for days!!!!!' and I want to be like 'lol no. You're just fucking lazy."

>> No.9474173

>>9472766
even tumblr sjws don't care if they post death threats with identifying information sooo...
according to them, the people they're giving death threats deserve them, so the sjws think they'll never get in trouble with the police themselves

>> No.9474180

>>9474169
I am more than willing to give people my sources, but I have 0 patience for anyone who cannot into basic internet/google. At least prove to me that you're competent enough to use my supplier and not directly fuck things up for me.

>> No.9474186
File: 46 KB, 715x540, cool.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9474169
>mfw I actually did research what I wanted for a few days and made a complete detailed list of similar products to compare them and I asked one person for help and they linked me to what I needed immidiately

>> No.9474194

>>9472777
i'm mixed (eurasian) with pale af skin + was raised white, and despite that this girl is/looks fucking whiter looking than me lel
and she hates white people??

>> No.9474195

>>9474186
I'm mostly talking about shit like 'where do you get stickers made?!" or basic shit like state taxes.

>> No.9474201

>>9473334
>KS
WHOA THERE
KS has a huge SJW-filled hatedom on tumblr and she's trying to act like the SJW in all of this??

>> No.9474210

>>9474195
>basic shit like state taxes
what state do you live in where the taxes are basic?

>> No.9474214

>>9474147
It's not an excuse though? You asked for actual draftsman level art. Like you said, there are plenty of artists who produce great content that may be of high tier but self publish. They likely have fans/a platform already to which they no longer need to do AA, they can produce their own goods and sell directly. I would be interested in seeing fanart that had more thought/higher artistic value in prints, but I realize at least that AA is for anyone to sell their stuff. Not everyone can make it in AA, that's a given, but it's open to everyone. That's why sometimes god tier artists don't get in to conventions if they choose to try and get a table.

I like my weeb shit too, but if I wanted a very serious piece that wasn't trying to cater to the general (younger) audience at conventions, I would get the artist's contact information I was interested in and commission them.

>> No.9474257

>>9473906
I put post-its on my prints warning people when I'm almost out of a print, but I don't mislead anyone. If the post-its says "Only 2 left" then I literally only have 2 left, there's no point in trying to fake something? Especially when you still have plenty of stock?

imo if the post-it says sold out, customers will think that print is no longer available and will be no longer interested, and walk past. Whereas a warning of low stock help nudge the ones on the fence to take that impulse buy before it's too late.

>> No.9474311
File: 469 KB, 944x702, wtf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It it just me or are all these pricing suggestions ridiculous? The plush is not done well enough or large enough to justify this proposed pricing, and all I can think is that the creator is super shit at sewing if it takes them all day to make this with a machine....

>> No.9474314

>>9474311
AANI is such a pile of shit. Full of a bunch of no-skill artists with 0 business sense overcharging for their ugly crap.
That plush is fine, though. I would say 35-40. No more than 50. It's one downside to being a plush artist, there's a lot of investment.

>> No.9474413

>>9474194
she's probably overcompensating for how white she is...

>> No.9474416

>>9474311
If I'm spending $500 on a plush, it better be able to grant some wishes or talk or light up or SOMETHING.

>> No.9474417

>>9474413
These people are so obsessed with being victims being a weird gender doesn't satisfy them enough, they have to also pretend to be minorities.

>> No.9474423

>>9474311
I've been checking on that post and there are a lot of "advice" that are a tad wacky...

I think the artist of that plushie failed to do is really time themselves sewing it ("a day" sounds like an exaggeration), also come up with an efficient way of making it to see if it's even worthwhile to sew and sell.

As a soft fiber artist (sewing plushie, crochet, needlefelt), it'll take me some time to draft up the initial pattern and test product, and then I time myself when making an actual product. When it comes to plushies, it's a lot less time than one would think longs they aren't hand sewing the entire thing and know how to do things efficiently, so pricing comes out fair. Or if it's something that takes too damn long, it's not something I'd bring to AA to sell. I end up being very choosy of what I make and take with me.

All in all, I think that artist needs to reevaluate their d20 plushie and try again. It has potential, just needs some refining for sure.

>> No.9474462

Hey, I was the anon asking about oppai mouse pads last thread. Just wanted to say thank you to the anon that helped me out and gave me some advice. I placed the order and I've already sold nearly half of my stock in pre orders. Feels good man.

>> No.9474481

>>9474462
I'm so glad to hear that! I hope they do well at your summer cons, anon!

>> No.9474505

>>9472117
That's it. If I see this bitch at AX I'm jumping her ass.

Sjw bullshit is one thing, but now you're just targeting doujins in general? Fuck off.

>> No.9474514

>>9474505
She's not going because AX "victim-blamed" her through the phone.

>>9472597
Are you willingly blind?

>> No.9474518
File: 11 KB, 200x200, 149077219234.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9474514
I have a doujin I bought from AX that is bull men raping lolis and mindbreaking them so they become eternal slaves in one shared loli conciousness.
Another one I saw at AX was men raping lolis in a comatose and when they cum they unplug their brains and they die and they keep fucking them after they die.

The stuff lohkay drew was pretty tame in comparison.

>> No.9474523
File: 45 KB, 249x200, londondatebannerlogo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

any euros here tabling? everyone i know is freaking out about the latest e-mail.

>> No.9474527

>>9474518
I don't doubt you, anon. The majority of hentai is pretty much equal to the high end of BL on the "wtf did I read" scale.

>> No.9474583

>>9472135
>army of one
lol

>> No.9474603

>>9474523
Was considering tabling there in October, what's going on?

>> No.9474609

>>9474603
the usual no fanart allowed policy that most people ignored - let's be real. noone was ripping off anyone, people still had original work and it's better to sell your own fanart at the AAs to help cover expenses since everyone is pretty much a beginner. well now everyone got an email reinforcing this policy this may though and also stating the tables should be 10% merch and 90% books/prints. less than a month before the con. this is especially hilarious as lots shops just a few feet next to the AAs sell stolen fanart from the web and get off scratchfree. i guess noone cares about those because they pay for dealer booths but the hypocrisy kills me.

>> No.9474611

>>9474609
haha what the fuck

>> No.9474615

>>9474611
i think it's all thanks to people who get salty over dem animes selling better lol but now everyone is afraid in case people are gonna rat out others' tables out of jealousy fits. thanks lads

>> No.9474645

>>9474615
Is this policy just to protect the con from copyright? Or is it another reason?

>> No.9474669

>>9474645
i think it has to do with mainly dc/marvel and other comics because they seem to be harsher on those esp if styles are similar because they often invite artists and official retailers from those companies. but this is all supposition. usually noone cares as much about the anime of the month but like i said, this is all rumours i heard from past cons.

>> No.9474671

>>9474645
but i have actually heard from close friends how some AA tablers who do reg western comics/newspaperstrips/whatever do not like the newer AA folk who draw anime style since they sell much more. whispering shit like "fucking anime" when they thought noone was listening, stay classy guys.

>> No.9474691

>>9474671
maybe western comics should stop being so ugly then :)

>> No.9474792
File: 653 KB, 1024x697, seasons_by_amuria.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9474045
>amuria
holy crap, thanks for reminding me of that artist! I remember looking up to her a lot as an 11 year old. I'm still fond of pic related, but possibly because it was drawn by Nefis (who you've also reminded me of)

>> No.9474794

New thread: >>9474793

>> No.9474801
File: 84 KB, 640x493, 269129-bc01a193426f443fa83919d82d08ead4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wanted to know people's thoughts on this:

I was thinking of making a bunch of handmade zines (printer paper, staples) of scanned pencil, pen & brush sketches
quickly grabbed off google images, something like pic related, only anime style, arguably better skill
is printer paper + staples seen as too cheap nowadays? also I'm not sure about pricing, thinking of 5 A4 sheets folded in half (making a5) plus a thicker paper cover

another consideration is a friend I might be tabling with is selling their own zine, but it's perfect bound and professionally printed. I really just wanted something simple and fun, but I wonder if I should follow his suite instead..

>> No.9474827

>>9474801
use a thicker paper for the cover if anything. if you want slightly nicer quality for the inside use the thin matte doublesided stuff from red river paper. my friend has a sketchbook zine they staple together using the red river stuff charge 15+ bux. it sells

>> No.9474994

Hey Akon artists, is it worth going for the optional day on thursday? The only thursday cons i've done before is Momocon, and I do meh there on thursday, but for Akon I'm in the upper part of the 'shit tier' half so I'm wondering if I'll do better if I show up and the 'god tier' artists skip the day.