[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 76 KB, 300x300, IMG_1845.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9413489 No.9413489 [Reply] [Original]

Opinions on whether or not someone is a Lolita without brand

>> No.9413516

>>9413489
Unless you are a sewing genius, who actually spends as much money in fabric than buying an old brand dress or bodyline...
You need at least to achieve the silhouette, and that is very hard trying to sneak in 100% offbrand and/or skirts which were never meant to have the C or A line.
Inb4
Is a fashion, not a zodiac sign, you need clothes

>> No.9413520

>>9413516
*As much money as...
My autocorrect is hellish

>> No.9413544
File: 269 KB, 337x510, oswe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9413489
I consider someone a "real" lolita when they're "serious" about the fashion (as in, don't treat it as a costume, don't wear it only to cons/meetups, are ready to invest at least some amount of money into it,...)

Back in 2006, when i first knew about lolita, I remember getting brand was difficult, brand websites (except for Meta?) didn't ship worldwide (iirc you had to use Celga to order from AP or Baby) and handmade was a big part of lolita.
We did with what we had and the standards were much lower than today (all the endless nitpicking like "her pinks don't match!" "she need another bag!" "use a wig!").
Owning brand isn't necessary to be a lolita but it's nice to own some since they have really unique pieces/items.

To end this post on a small blogpost, I'll say that I regret how lolita was back in the days, the whole "spirit" of it. It looked frumpier and our pinks/shoes/... didn't always match but i feel like we had much more fun and cared much less than now. But maybe it's just me being a granny and ranting about "the old days".

>> No.9413553
File: 13 KB, 197x256, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

.......That's what otome no sewing books are for....

>> No.9413565

>>9413489
They are lesser lolitas

>> No.9413656

>>9413516
I meant taobao and bodyline (and other "offbrand" or indie things)

>> No.9413671

>>9413656
BL is overpriced shit now, but someone who wears mostly (good) Taobao is still a lolita IMO. Thing is that good Taobao isn't that much cheaper than second hand brand so if you're serious about the fashion like >>9413544 described and don't mind being patient, it's easy to get your hands on some nice secondhand brand as well. Not because you HAVE to own glorious burando so much as you'll probably gravitate towards it eventually anyway, and it's nice to have at least one example of one of the brands that made the fashion what it is today. I have both Taobao and Japanese brand and feel like even though Japanese brand is more expensive, it's worth the price and I wear it more often. Taobao is mostly for fillers for me, now.

>> No.9413672

>>9413489
It's nice to own burando but taobao or offbrand are fine. Tbh I respect offbrand lolitas just as much if not sometimes more than people who insist on wearing AP head to toe, I think it takes more creativity to second-hand scavenge and DIY a good coordinate with only offbrand. Older releases usually become harder to find, too.

>> No.9413682

>>9413544
I need those dresses

>> No.9413815

I like to use brando for things that are really simple, but super Lolita specific. I fit brand OTKs so while I wear a lot of off-brand dresses, I do buy brand socks so the quality of the lace on them matches the quality of the lace on the dress (or better).

I thrift all my blouses and I really like it that way; I get to try everything on in person and I know exactly what I'm getting. I'm usually happier with vintage-ish pieces then modern pieces.

One thing I would definately say is if you go handmand; start with a skirt. It's the least f***-ible thing you could make; make it without lace the first time, just make sure the shape is correct.

Thrift your blouse, sew your skirt but definitely BUY your petticoat. The more off-brand you are the more you do need to stick to the rules to make sure you look right; you need the proper shape more then ever.

>> No.9413824

The lolita's I know who only wear taobao and offbrand just see it as one of their many hobby's and not as their clothing style. They don't take the time to look for secondhand brand (which is cheaper than taobao). They seem to care more about having new prints than the lolita aesthetic in general. I feel sad whenever I meet a "lolita" who knows more taobao shops by name than Japanese brands.

>> No.9413828

I really respect them if they have a good handmade wardrobe though

>> No.9413833
File: 145 KB, 490x810, tumblr_ol7hhuNARG1t5fmzto1_540.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lolitas who doesn't own brando are not lesser lolitas than others if it's done correctly.

>> No.9413834

>>9413489
Lolita is a fashion, not an assortment of companies.

>> No.9413850

>>9413834
Yes and No. On the Surface: Yes.
But part of the brando obsession is that keeping Lolita-centric companies going helps keep the overall fashion alive. It's like trickle-down fashion. Tao Bao is great, but the success of the brandos helps the Chinese companies prove that their products have a market and that there are people out their willing to invest in this stuff.

>> No.9413878 [DELETED] 

>>9413833
It's burando

>> No.9413887

>>9413833
Burando. Does that fabric look cheap or is it my bias?

>>9413850
It's burando.

>> No.9413903

>>9413887
the fabric choice of bows looks a bit questionable (the creases/flatness of the bands remind me of replicas) but I think that might just be the construction itself.

>> No.9414069

>>9413824
When I first discovered lolita, I thought My lolita dress was the only place that sold lolita. I knew nothing about brands lol. I only brought one thing from them and it took forever to come. I can get stuff from closet child in days.

>> No.9414124

>>9414069
How did you find out about it? When I got into lolita the first resource I could find was egl on lj and it had a lot of resources about how to buy brand and the secondhand comm

>> No.9414143

>>9414124
I first saw lolita on a milanoo clone website from looking at google search images of anime cute clothes.

>> No.9414467

>>9413489
It depends on how long the've been into the fashion. If someone just starting out manages to pull together decent coords with a bodyline/offbrand wardrobe, they still qualify. However, if someone who claims to have been a lolita since the stone age still doesn't own one piece of brand, I find them questionable. All this time you could've saved up and rewarded yourself with something from your favorite brand over the holidays. What's stopping you?
Then of course there are the people who for whatever reason refuse to buy brand- those people are hard to redeem. While you don't have to actively follow releases or gush over everything they put out, every lolita can identify at least one brand that matches their personal taste. If you have legitimately never liked anything a major brand has put out, this isn't the right fashion for you.

Sorry, longwinded. I've just met one too many people who've dedicated themselves to sewing their own clothes as if it's worth it in this fashion. People who jump in from craft-centered hobbies like cosplay and steampunk don't seem to realize that lolita is mostly about buying shit.

>> No.9414529

>>9413489
Brand obsession is pure shit.

>> No.9414549

>>9413544
>don't wear it only to cons/meetups, are ready to invest at least some amount of money into it,...)
Only wear it to cons and meetups.
Could've bought a new car or gotten another degree at a cheaper state college with the amount I've invested in my wardrobe.
>Not a /real/ enough lolita
okay.

I wish people would stop assuming someone's level of seriousness based on what occasions it's worn to. Not everyone wants to or feels like being a daily lolita but is invested and serious about the fashion none-the-less. Part-time lolitas were until recently here on cgl valid. Now it's like, you need to become fused with your lolita clothing like a 1000lb man who becomes one with his sofa.

In regards to OP, are we talking Japanese brand or "offbrand" as in taobao/or indie? You can be a perfectly fine lolita not wearing Japanese brand, but it's fucking cheap and accessible to find used or new but clearanced brand items. You probably have some weird aversion to it if you can't grab some brand items shortly within your time starting. That is unless you're the type that needs to put a $20 pair of socks on a 6-month payment plan.

Excellent coordinates can be put together without a lick of Japanese brand.

Most beginners start with lolita-specific offbrand and a bit of loliable shit thrown in. Eventually the loliables end up back at the thrift store they were bought from. As most people become more seasoned, they develop an eye for is appropriate. That's not going to come from cheap sweatshop fast fashion clothing and "cheap" (as in cheaply made) is just going to cheapen the look. Most western fashion these days is made cheaply and not made to hold up like a well-made lolita garment does.

One the other hand, there's a lot of great indie brand or taobao items out there.

If you achieve the look, it honestly doesn't really matter what brand is on the tag or whether a logo is plastered all over your dress, or if it's something lovingly and carefully handmade.

>> No.9414599

>>9413656
Of course people who don't wear Japanese brands are still lolita as long as they an coordinate well.

>>9413671
I transitioned most of my wardrobe from Taobao to second-hand brand as well, but it's not for everyone. The easiest brand items to find for prices comparable to Taobao are non-print items, and not everybody likes non-prints. For people that like AP-like prints Taobao is cheaper than second-hand.

>> No.9414627

You can be a lolita without brand but I'll still think less of you. The only people who seem to look down on brand are special snowflakes, poorfags and disgusting fatties.

>> No.9414718

>the newer lolita elitism in this thread
fucking hell

>> No.9414822

>>9414627
thinking less of them is looking down on them as well you know

>> No.9414845

>>9414822
Read that post again, anon. You completely misunderstood it.

>> No.9414892

>>9414718
I know right, I just started this to see if there was actually elitists but I guess there is wtf, like I get if you aren't coordinating well, but you shouldn't look down on someone for how much their clothes cost if they coord well

>> No.9415015

>>9414627
Tbh I kinda agree with you. Not proud of it but there you have it.

>> No.9415099

I don't think offbrand is ita or that owning mainly offbrand makes you less of a lolita, but I just can't think of a reason why not to own brand at all. Too fat for main pieces? Accessories exist. Too expensive? second hand brand can be cheaper than new offbrand so I just don't understand it desu.

You would have to go out of your way not own brand. How does a day in a 100% offbrand-chan's life even look like?

> open wunderwelt
> 80$ Velvet JSK with amazing lace
> "hey, let's check it out!"
> brand: AP
> "LOL can't buy it sorry!!!"
> check next item
> "12$ headbow by IW"
> oh man I just wish it wasn't brand!!

>> No.9415107

>>9414549
Just because you are a lesser Lolita, doesn't mean you are not into Lolita

>> No.9415133

>>9413833
Those socks and bag are brand, right?

>> No.9415141

>>9414549
>I spent more money on it so I'm better than people who spend time on it

>> No.9415176

>>9414467
I agree with this. Handmade has been part of lolita from the beginning and it's a fun way to add to your wardrobe, but even as a dedicated sewer (huehue) I have to acknowledge that this fashion was shaped by a core group of brands. If you're using sewing patterns from GosuRori or ONS, you're using patterns created by people working for these brands. If you take style inspiration from an existing dress, you're taking inspiration from a brand designer. Even the lace on laces.taobao that many of us use is replicated from brand lace.
Unless you draft all your own patterns in the dark and take inspiration only from 2001 street snaps featuring purely handmade and thrifted pieces, you're being influenced by brands. Might as well buy a piece or two to see what all the fuss is about and get a better grasp of design and construction.

There are a few women in my comm who are weirdly anti-brand. They sew most of their own stuff (badly) and otherwise buy Bodyline. Taobao is too difficult for them unless there's a reseller stand at a convention. They've got this little circle jerk going about how brand is stupid, ugly and overrated and they don't need it. When sewing one of them actively strays from lolita designs because she wants to be ~original~ and not copy brands. She often ends up making shit that's too short and doesn't have the right silhouette. She also uses novelty Christmas quilting fabric. It honestly looks awful but her cronies will tell her it's amazing and so much better than brand. When they go to meet ups they just sit around giving everyone else the stink-eye.

>>9415099
I think it's a combination of being too fat for the clothes (and then being bitter than evil brand doesn't make clothes for real women with curves) and not wanting to spend more than fast fashion prices on anything. Plus an unhealthy dose of "I can make that myself for a third of the price!" even though... they can't. Not really.

>> No.9415441

>>9415133
Maybe but the main piece is handmade.

>> No.9415457

>>9415176
also noobs get scared of using Paypal or Tenso. Is not that hard

>> No.9415533

>>9415457
I don't get it at all, as a noob. My first purchase was a CP petti, purchased through Taobao directly without a SS. It's not that scary.

>> No.9418317
File: 388 KB, 640x1136, IMG_0023.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sometimes cgl itself has an opinion.

>> No.9418666

>>9415133
>>9415441
can't say about the bag, but the socks are replica ones from taobao - the real ones aren't as chunky and the pink is nicer

>> No.9420431

>>9413887
THIS MAKES ME LAUGH EVERY FUCKING TIME

I CAN'T BELIEVE ANON REPEATED IT TWICE THAT'S GREAT

>"IT'S BURANDO"