[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 90 KB, 334x500, 1452039212151.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9103542 No.9103542 [Reply] [Original]

Discussion for those of us who were around /cgl/ before 2010.

A few questions to start off the thread...
>what year did you first come here? how did you come across it?
>what was your favorite subject that was popular back then?
>do you like the board better now?
>how did the board affect you as a lolita/cosplayer?
>what do you miss, if anything, about the olden days?

>> No.9103982

Super bored so alright

>09 (I think) transient from /g/
>drama was deserved. You fucking randoms with STDs and not telling people you need to stop. Now it is just shade and calling everyone fatties or jealous
>no, barely stop by
>I actually sewed something, went to a con (although I still hid in corner). Big step for me back then. Now I have meetings for a living with the occasional work. Kinda a turning point in my life.
>content

>> No.9104216

>>9103542
>09 as well
>no all of you guys are fucking weird
>i used to be terrible. now im slightly less terrible but i dont go outside so who cares
>talking about shit that actually matters and not having dumbass threads about how hard it is to be skinny and white kek

>> No.9104221

>>9104216
Most refreshing opinion I've seen on here in a long while.

>> No.9104230

2007, was an underaged /b/tard who randomly noticed a cosplay board on 4chan

>>Implying I can remember what was up on /cgl/ 9 years ago
I remember the tripfag circlejerk, kipi and well-deserved drama, but I think it came later

not really, too much lolitam tumblr and unnecessary bitching

It didn't.
As a person however, it made me pretty bitter and bitchy. Been taking a break for 6 months this year and I found my attitude got a lot nicer when I wasn't on here.

Nothing really, this board is shit and I only ever come here when it's convention time.
The rules about not singling out a cosplayer is lame, but removing it today would just turn the board into cancer (even more than it already is) due to the fame-hungry people that are in the community now.

>> No.9104242

you guys are sad

>> No.9104256

>>9104216
>talking about shit that matters

Why do people always act like the board was that much better pre-'10? It just had different types of cancer. You sound like it to me.

>> No.9104263

probably around 2008 via getoffegl or something
talia, that really shitty lolita seamstress
yes, there is less pointless drama (which kind of makes me sound like a hypocrite but people grow up)
it made me really hate lolita and i'm just getting back into it for the first time since 2010
i could be remembering wrong but it seemed more active? but that could have just been because of drama

>> No.9104264

>what year did you first come here?
Probably, 2008. It was during the Kipi floods.
>how did you come across it?
A google search for lolita stuff.
I was into cosplay and lolita equally, but mostly ended up following the cosplay stuff because lolita wasn't very popular on here at the time.
Yes and no, the drama was fun but really messed with board culture. I have a new place to follow drama now.
I became way less of an ita and lost a lot of confidence in my cosplay skills, which isn't exactly a bad thing because they were horrible.
Cgl realivant drama. It shouldn't clog up the board, but we need a bit of an outlet.

>> No.9104382

>>9104263
I remember Tahlia! That was some crazy shit.

For those too new to know who we're talking about, Tahlia was a once well respected plus size seamstress turned scammer who held everyone's feedback hostage. Back in the day, we all used a site called eglfeedback to log our transactions, which she was the owner of and proceeded to delete due to community backlash over her scamming.

>> No.9104516

2008 or 2009. I don't remember. I came for lolita drama, I think from gtfoegl.

Drama. I even got into our Queen and Kotex drama. I just really like drama.

I like that the tripfag circlejerk is over. God that was annoying. I do miss drama threads, though.

It's made me a better lolita. You can get really good, if harsh, advice.

The drama. Lolcow is okay, but I miss lolita drama. I think, too, that I miss big pieces of lolita drama because of the migration to Tumblr and Facebook. I don't Facebook so I miss the little that goes on.

>> No.9104525

>>9104382
Dude that's not even the half of it. You left out the drama where Talia and another girl were lined up to become mods of egl until they vendetta banned a girl, as well as leaked the identity of a historic troll (sniper) to getoffegl before properly dealing with it on the main comms. During all this she was mod and owner of the loligoth dbs (a Wordpress site that replaced the even older LJ system). Then she took more commissions than she could handle, already shoddy work got worse, and she was called out on GTFO for a number of issues. Our current LJ feedback system came about after she got her panties in a bunch and took the dbs down. When she did that people were panicking and using google cache to salvage their feedback.

Good fucking times man, I miss scammer drama. Last decent one we had was Maikodolly.

>> No.9104790

>>9104525
I once took a picture of Sniper at Anime Boston, having no idea it was her until I saw her coord post on her blog. It kills me inside that I didn't keep my con photos from that far back, little did I know the nostalgia value it would have later had. I'm sad she's not still around, our trolls these days are weak in comparison.

>> No.9104792

>>9103542
Context for the picture here?

>> No.9104802

>>9104525
You would think the drama would have gotten worse since the community is so much bigger, but nothing we've had in recent years compares to the gold from back then. GTFOEGL in its prime was so superior to lolcow.

>> No.9104814

>>9104802
The staleness of the drama depresses me honestly. I don't miss the constant PT/Kota/kipi threads but part of me misses the scammers because the second a scam started up personal vendettas were forgotten and everyone came together to try and help those affected. But we're so decentralized now, individual communities might have problems but those usually stay internal rather than becoming drama for the international community. Cgl has been milking the same drama for so long I left for almost a year and I come back and everyone was still on about the same things. It's sad.

>> No.9104983

2006. I was an underage 16 year old who was into both cosplay and lolita. At the time, I was more into cosplay.

Definitely post convention photo dumps and Pixyteri. Also going into Proud to be Asian threads and watching people take him seriously.

Not really. I kind of miss tripfag culture but they're are too many sperglords who hate tripfags so much that they will derail threads even if the said tripfag is on topic.

I strive now for perfection. It's kind of a bad thing because sometimes I don't have as much fun in cosplay because I'm super worried that my wig looks bad or my props aren't smooth enough.

I felt like we had a better community. We seemed more united and had a common goal. I'm an ex-tripfag and I do miss some of the other tripfags because they were there for pivotal parts of my life.

>> No.9104997

2007, I came here to shitpost and I've been doing just that ever since

>> No.9109397

>>9103542
>>what year did you first come here? how did you come across it?
Possibly 2007 or 2008? Not too sure any more
>>what was your favorite subject that was popular back then?
I was still quite new to cosplaying so the help threads and tutorial threads were a god send. Everyone was harsh but if you were willing to listen it was the best place for genuine feedback
>>do you like the board better now?
Not really - I feel like there's less of a sense of community in a way? I'm not sure why that is though. It's also far more of a hug box these days.
>>how did the board affect you as a lolita/cosplayer?
I improved a lot seeing all the harsh criticism because I was worried about being posted myself haha. I guess I've become a fair bit judgemental, but I don't know how much of an influence /cgl/ had on that compared to everything else anyway. I'd probably still be a grumpy old lady either way.
>>what do you miss, if anything, about the olden days?
Regular tutorial threads with reasonable amounts of new content each time, sewing threads up most of the time as well, I miss the /cgl/ related drama a bit but there's other places for that these days.

>> No.9109474

2011, came across it via browsing 4chan.
horror story threads
thank god moot stepped in, people stalked trips like it was a hobby. I'm glad I can browse now without being accused of being whatever trip of the month, and a DAMN HALLOWEEN STICKY YES
I have a fear of most lolitas now.
Moot coming in to visit

>> No.9109486
File: 59 KB, 229x246, kipipooper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Once Adella went lesbian with Alodia and Frances in Florida because her Aerith was better. True story.

>back when /cgl/ was a red board

>> No.9110844
File: 107 KB, 556x556, _MG_8743.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9114604

07. I honestly don't know how I found out about cosplay or 4chan. Might've been from gaia online, honestly.
There was a time when we had regular prop threads. Volpin used to post here pretty frequently and there was a cosplayer named Juego who I had a fatty crush on but also gave really solid construction advice because he did one of the first "good" Medics from tf2.

Honestly? Yeah. The drama was fun, but I like how there are regular "general" threads that keep producing material and discussion.

I got into lolita from cosplay and found a lot of really great resources here. I'd like to think that starting out as a lolita here and doing my research here made me start out as an okay lolita instead of an ita.

I only perused cosplay stuff but never really cosplayed seriously so I don't know if it had a big effect on me in that regard.

I know this is kinda shitty to say but I sort of miss tripfag circlejerks since a lot of my friends are tripfags and it was fun to have this little club back in the day. It sucks that it detracted from the quality of the board, but it still created a sense of community. I'm glad I'm still in contact with a lot of oldschool seagulls, though, and now the sense of community is more authentic