[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 2.27 MB, 4128x2322, 20160403_150540.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8944672 No.8944672 [Reply] [Original]

Post about your first cosplay.

>First time ever cosplaying, decide to do Asuka from 3.33. Specifically her when shr has her jacket and hat.
>Go to small time con to try it out.
>Walking around when somone stops me and asks to take a picture
Itshappening.jpg
>Several hours later a girl gives me an un-opened orange gatorade and says
"Anon could I take a pic of you drinking LCL?"
>sure why not
>After taking the picture she smiles and thanks me, then gives me two more then leaves. Pic is a little after the fact.

All in all a nice first time. I had about 7 pics taken out of a crowd of 200 con-attenders. Is this an average amount or do people usually take more/less?

>> No.8944697

Better than average. Most first time cosplayers arent even recognized as the character theyre dressed as.
Free non-poisoned gatorade is also bretty gud for a first timer

>> No.8944717

>>8944697
Really? I didn't expect my cosplay to work so well. That's actually really good to hear.

>> No.8944730

7 out of 200 seems like a pretty good number
if you were an easily recognizable character from the current popular anime of the season you'd probably get a lot of photos

if the evangelion final movie ever comes out you'll probably get more

>> No.8944741

My first real cosplay I went around in was as Newton from Pacific Rim.
>painted onto cheap nude knee stockings with watercolor to make tats
>covered the edges with a watch and convention wristbands
>was running a booth
>people came around asking about my tats and assuming they were real, not many even recognized me
>tfw they weren't even that great

>> No.8944745

>>8944730
Yeah, I think I was the only Eva cosplay there. Which was sad, but, I look forward to the next one~

>> No.8944770
File: 117 KB, 720x960, AbsoluteMadman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

First one I did was Dallas from Payday. Ordered a mask online from some guy who spoke broken english on etsy. This is probably the best picture I took of the whole convention.

>> No.8944805

>>8944770
Dude, sick.

>> No.8944925
File: 13 KB, 189x375, bscap0136.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

try to make this
>nowig.jpg
>no hat
>too noob to do details
>2008 me is sad no one recognized me
>sees code geass group and hides
>tfw you suck cause you're a noob

>> No.8945001

> finally cosplaying at a con after attending a few as a normie
> nurse joy
> wasn't the best costume but got photos from people
> one guy asks for a hug, looks a bit seedy
> sure, why not. no harm
> he walks off and we go about our day
> see him again, asks for another hug
> bit skeptical but hug him anyway
> he picks me up, dress goes flying and underwear is on show
> hugs me so tight I feel his boner pressed against my lady bits
> nope the fuck out and never hug anyone at cons again

>> No.8945015

>>8945001
>Always heard stories of this kind of thing
>Persons walking around with "Free Hugs"
>One seeder moves up near me and almost grabs me
>I back step and they fall on their face.
>Help them up then very quickly walked away.

>> No.8945057

I was a closet cosplay Misty from Pokemon. I had red hair, so I just put it in the ponytail, but some people told me my hair was too long. My next costume was the first one I actually made and it was Jessica Rabbit. Most people didn't recognize who I was until they saw my boyfriend, who was Roger. People seemed to like it just fine.

>> No.8945742

>>8945015
savage

>> No.8945767

>>8944672
Oh man, what I thought was my first cosplay goes right to the weeb horror territory

>> No.8945801
File: 81 KB, 402x402, 1420142634086.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8944672
Is that a Yotsugi figure?

Anyway first time
>Homestuck trash
>going as one of the original kids, closet cosplay with a shitty handmade prop
>pretty nervous but going with two other friends also cosplaying HS so I don't feel as bad
>get there, place is massive
>holy shit this is my jam
>everyone is nice and friendly
>make lots of friends
>tfw really happy and motivated to do more cosplay

>> No.8945806
File: 90 KB, 275x435, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be me in 2005
>be a nerdy lonely middle schooler
>watch all the animus on Toonami and read whatever manga I can get my hands on at Borders
>Which as fate would have it is pretty much a lot of .hack
>fall in love with Tsukasa's emo ass
>become ultimate weeb and start going to local anime club
>subscribe to Tokyopop's free manga magazine
>they do an op-Ed on cosplay
>had run into cosplay a bit on xanga and while looking for more and more pics of Tsukasa
>I must do this
>Find out about AnimeNEXT
>My time has arrived
>my mom thinks the whole thing is weird and a waste of money but my dad has been making me costumes for theater for a while so he's game
>I am determined to make this myself so he comes on purely as an adviser lol
>I make the whole thing out of broadcloth and try to draft the pattern to the over shirt thing myself
>I add sleeves made of non-stretch broadcloth to a knit short-sleeved tee
>I do all the appliqués out of bias tape top-stitched with thread that doesn't match
>Hat is a bucket hat I cut the brim off and I used stick on felt for the gems
>mom vetoes me buying a good quality wig from amphigory so I have to use one from party city
>go to the con
>wearing no makeup except two huge lines of lipstick on my cheeks as the face tattoos
>look so sad
>my mom is the one chaperoning me and she prevents me from going off on my own and actually checking out the con to have fun
>we walk through the dealers room once or twice and spend most of the day in lines
>no one recognizes me
>no one takes my picture
>luckily I am a small enthused child too busy weebing out to have this ruin my experience
>here I am 11 years later still a slave to this hobby
>shit happens

>> No.8945818

>>8945806
You should remake it, it needs the justice it deserves

>> No.8945835

>>8945801
Its an Oshino Shinobu fig

>> No.8945839

>>8945806
>Broadcloth
NOOOO

>> No.8945869
File: 153 KB, 319x512, large.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>baby's first anime, 12 at the time
>buy most of my stuff, modify it
>make the vest myself, turns out decent because i knew how to sew at least, take the time to even sew in the rings around his jeans and replace the lense in goggles so that theyre the right color
>no wig for some reason, dyed hair red but it looks orange
>first con
>sweating to death in lineup, get hugged a few times, feelsgood.png
>feet hurt because im wearing huge platform boots and have never even worn heels before
>dehydrate and starve myself because i have anxiety about using public bathrooms and think i can avoid it by not consuming anything
>miss masquerade, sit in lobby feeling dead
>parents took me to the con but wandered off and im all alone and they yell at me when i call to say i dont feel good
>finally get picked up
>awful ace bandage binding slips off as soon as i get in the car and my tits fall out

at least i can put comfort in the fact i was 12 and stupid. i still think that cosplay was one of the cleanest i've done though. maybe one day i'll get a wig and bind properly and do it again.

>> No.8945980

>be 12 year old me
>brother is 10
>obsessed with bleach
>beg mom for shinigami robes, she gives in
>decide that we're going to be momo and hitsugaya
>mistake.jpg
>brother hangs upside down on swing-set outside so I can spray his hair white
>stands straight up, looks like plastic
>completely ridiculous
>mcdonald's workers in drive-thru on way to the con laugh and take photos of him
>one lady completely loses it
>get to con with mom
>"TOSHIROOOOOOO"
>wind up getting thrown out because of high school girls stalking my brother at the con
>never again
>poor mom

I've been cosplaying for 11 years now and my brother mocks my hobby except for when he can get with cute cosplay girls.

>> No.8945994

>was the year 2005 and 12 years old
>was asked to wanted be a group cosplay by older sibling
>agreed, even though I didn't even watch anime at the time, beyond mainstream shit like Pokemon
>never been to an anime convention prior to this
>got costumes actually made by professional seamstress, so almost avoided looking like shit
>At the time, didn't buy things online so while we managed to find a couple people in our group an actual good wig (in 2005 standards which means not party city bullshit. The one wig is mid tier, the other two is shit these days), they didn't find one for me.
>has dark brown hair
>character has white hair
>motherfucking ended up with white spraypaint that's for hair that always looks like shit.
>people recognized me anyway.

Forgive me anons for I have sinned.

>> No.8946008

>>8945980
How did them stalking your brother get YOU thrown out? Not saying it didn't happen, just curious.

>> No.8946020

>>8945839
When you're a 13 year old on a budget, your options are limited bro.
lol at least it wasn't satin

>> No.8946023

>>8945818
Yes I've considered remaking it several times, just never have gotten around to it

>> No.8946032
File: 47 KB, 377x640, makocry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2013
>be male Miku
>little sister dresses as female Kaito
>have fun

>2014
>little sister moves away
>cosplay is never the same

A-at least I still have my cosplay gf.

>gf breaks up with me

Shit.

>> No.8946244

>>8946008
We freaked out and ran from them after they kept trying to glomp him and the con had a policy against "running/rough-housing".

>> No.8946526

are you me? pretty much exactly what happened, first closet cosplay at animenext 2005, the only person who took my picture was my mom

>> No.8946530

Dressed as a Free character to impress some grill. She later fell ill. She lived tho.

>> No.8946687
File: 138 KB, 350x350, fucking carlos.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8946530
guess you could say you have a killer bulge

>> No.8946816

>>8946687
You are a monster

>> No.8946831

>Me 14, first con ever
>First "real" cosplay
>It's a TF2 engineer but a sort of female/OC version because what is quality or accuracy and what would I do with my hair
>Freaking had to stop at Walmart on the way to to con to pick up a pair of overalls for the cosplay
>Anyway freaking loved TF2 at the time, Got my brother to cosplay Scout and my mom to cosplay Scouts mom at the time
>mostly have fun walking around and meeting other Tf2 cosplayers
>A Heavy cosplayer we meet is a huge fucking furry. Shows me, my brother and my mother his furry art
>forgive me mother
>random people keep calling me Bob the Builder
>Get yelled at/teased by annoying homestuck kids constantly shouting "The Game"

Somehow have been going to cons every year since

>> No.8946834

>>8946687
CARLOS

>> No.8946848

>babby's first real cosplay
>It's 2009, my second-ever con and I'm in 8th grade
>of course I decide to cosplay hatsune miku
>excited as hell in my ebay-bought overpriced chinese miku costume made of shitty material
>wig was a hot mess, tried to cut the bangs but I was 13 and had no experience at all with wig cutting
>keep just pushing the bangs out of my face, making me deko-miku
>tails are an even hotter mess, tangled beyond redemption before the end of the con
>thigh highs were just black knee socks that I kept trying to pull up over my knees
>I wanted to be super accurate and decide to get a prop!
>weeb self doesn't realize that miku carries around a spring onion, mistake it for a leek
>make my father go to the whole foods and pick up an ACTUAL LEEK to carry around for all three days of the convention
>the entirety of that costume smelled like leeks even after many thorough washings

Looking back, my 13 year old weeb self must have looked like an absolute mess, but I somehow still got a lot of pictures taken and know my little weeb heart was overjoyed while in that miku cosplay.

>> No.8946858

Technically my first actual cosplay was a Bleach one I did for Halloween of 2009 but that was before I knew about actual conventions soooo I won't count that one

>2011, 14, learn about local con in area
>hyped, decide to go as Bakura and Marik with my sister
>buy clothes from a thrift store
>don't know how wig styling works especially yugioh tier wigs so I wore a hat with cat ears
>buy giant ass miku plush
>one maybe two people max asked for my photo, pose with miku plush each time

I was a bit of a late con bloomer but my sister and I had a blast and we still attend the same con each year, but in different costumes of course. My outfit was awful but I'm kinda bummed I didn't take any pictures for memory sake lol

>> No.8947063

>was into homeshit
>wanted to cosplay it
>go for dave
>genderbent dave, since I was too poor to buy a binder and the proper shirt
>use fabric markers and a template to draw the sign on the shirt
>didn't look too shit but there's a pixel I fucked up and lines were not great
>had an actual wig, looked ok from the outside but the cap/mesh was so crooked one of my ears was covered and the other was completely open
>also, several of the threads holding the wefts in place were not completely attached
>completely random pair of sunglasses
>shitty wooden katana

at con
>recognised by everyone who cosplays homestuck
>katana gets abandoned on first day after 10 minutes of it hitting my leg every time I move, stays in bag for the rest of the con
>buy a cat hat and wear it the whole con because ~ironic~
>one person asks for a picture, pose in front of a power box just so it would be ~ironically shitty~
>never get that picture
>only pic I ever find of me is taken of my back, while I'm on facebook in the gaming room
>at least it's a good pic tho

all in all it could have been worse

>> No.8947075

>cosplay as yosuke at small con with my frind as Protag
>both of our cosplays are shit (sweatshop costume, no wig, wrong props)
>people recognize and excited to see us because Persona was still an obscure thing at the time
>get asked for bunch of pictures and such
>have fun
>cute girl asks for my picture and my facebook
>after con happens
>girl messages me talking to me more abut my cosplay
>says she wished she could date yosuke IRL
>wellnowyoucan.jpg
>we hit it off
>break up a year later

Wow... it's like something that'd actually happen in the game.

>> No.8947124

>Make Rika/Ruki from Digimon for Home Ec in Middle School
>Can't go to cons and there's none nearby anyway
>Alright by 13yo standards. Sleeves painted on and the wrong colour, pants made out of broadcloth and thigh-belts out of felt
>Shoes and belt weren't perf and I used my natural (dark brown) hair
>Never wore it to school or anything, but teacher was so proud she pinned the shirt+pants onto the bulletin board for an open house night
>Heavily bullied... like, non-stop and physically, for things like physical disability and being too poor to afford good clothes
>Mom didn't understand, blamed it on my hobbies
>Constantly making excuses to ground me from TV/games, throwing out my stuff
>This cosplay is my pride and joy
>Spend months pulling it out of the laundry room trash under piles of lint
>She finally gets a hold of it and it goes missing for good

I mean it wouldn't have fit me by the time I started going to cons, but still, I would have liked to hold onto it.

>>8945818
Agreed. .hack could use more love...

...if just to stick it to the SoA weebs.

>> No.8947129

>>8947124
And my first con cosplay:
>9-10 years later, mom died so I'm out of the house and have new friends who introduced me to cons
>Decide to do pre-TS Yoko. Not my fav outfit and I didn't know about the "con slut" stigma so w/e
>Didn't know about clip-on ponytails so I put a fucking thigh-length wig into a ponytail and it wasn't styled in the front
>Boots were equally terrible. Zipper thing came off while walking, had heels which I kinda needed at the time due to fucked up feet, but these were huge
>Put effort into making the belt and bracelets tho so my belt was accurate rather than a Hot Topic belt and my bracelets were thick and stayed in place
>Everything else was pretty good, but the gun was the best
>6.5ft tall, had everything but the bipod and scope knobs, made it out of wood and PVC pipe with my dad after reconnecting with him after my mom's death
>At the con, literally get bombarded for photos the second I set foot on the con floor
>Not comfortable with the level of attention
>So exhausted I didn't notice my socks and left glove rolled down so all pictures came out bad
>Don't wear the cosplay the rest of the con
>Two male friends I hadn't spoken to in years decided to try and ~catch up~ after photos popped up on FB
>Guess what they wanted

I considered doing the bounty hunter version which is my real favourite and the coat makes it a little more modest, but after I came to cgl the following year and found out about the stigma I noped the fuck out and almost sold it all off but couldn't part with the rifle. My dad died of cancer last August, so I decided to make the "black suit" version from Nia's wedding in the last episode, gun and safety goggles included, to honor my dad, got a new wig with a clip-on ponytail and threw out the old one.

>> No.8947132
File: 432 KB, 324x570, god no.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>first hear about conventions after discovering cosplay in 2008
>oh hey there's one 30 minutes away from me this year!
>in about 2 months
>I must cosplay
>look online for ideas
>see Guilmon fursuit, fall in love
>I must cosplay THIS
>zero sewing experience
>zero fursuit experience
>let's do this
>recruit help of mom and sister
>manage to cobble together a fursuit head in a VERY weird system
>made oversized shoe things
>mom helps with bodysuit
>ends up looking like onesie in a time where onesies were only for babies
>idgaf let's go to the con
>at location, "I can't walk in these", end up abandoning shoes for normal sneakers
I had a shitload of fun, and kudos to the people who managed to recognise me, but holy fuck was I out of my league with it. on top of that I REALLY should have known better at the age I was.
To round off and because I actually managed to find one:
>pic very related

>> No.8947209
File: 786 KB, 840x496, ultimate regret.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2011
>14 at the time, have been into homestarch since 2010
>find out about cosplay through old homestuck cosplay threads
>decide i have to cosplay john
>throw together a crappy cosplay in a few days
>go to anime north, because why the hell not
>am cringey as fuck
>people still talk about that photoshoot, cringey 14 year old me is part of homestuck history
>why
>also wear cosplay to wal-mart and the movies but fuck no those memories are terrible

pic-related i'm the kneeling ginger one also not that fat anymore

>> No.8947211

>2011
>Cosplaying for the first time as Hannah Anafeloz
>Order it off of ebay probs got ripped off price wise
>Don't care love it
>Have a great time at con, lots of Alois cosplayers want pics
>untillllll
>One decides it's a good idea to try and poke my eye out just like the anime

I haven't worn it since. That kid freaked me out too much.

>> No.8947216

>Awful ill-fitting anime cosplay
>At first con
>Con is a freaking wreck with ~10 attendants
>No other cosplayers
>Awkward as fuck
>Left, was not remembered and have no pics

>> No.8947249

>be me 2010
>decided to cosplay because I wanted to make friends
>3day local con
>decided to comish my mom's friend
>first day, wig never arrived so fuck ot and go with my natural hair because ofc I have the same hair as miku.
>first cosplay is Rachel from Blazblue from an alternate palette because I wanted to use the same wig all con days.
>shitty cosplay with bad hems and bad details, I got like one pic taken and that's because he thought I was Diva from Blood.
>second day, wig arrives, go with shitty closet miku cosplay from the song Garden of fear from Rin, not even a Miku song. Ofc no one knows that song, got thtee pics because Miku desu.
>third day, go with Sona from league because I love LoL, played all day and stuff, but LoL wasn't huge then (first season just ended) and Sona was one of the newest champs. Get a lot of pics, not one soul recognized me, they kept asking which miku song I was even I made a shitty art attack tier ethwal.

Did even worse cosplays, but those were the first ones

>> No.8947328

>back when I was about 12 and in my full blown weeb phase the Borders store by me used to hold a 'manga drawing club'
>of course I went
>it was shit, naturally, but everyone kinda enjoyed themselves
>one day this club holds a 'cosplay competition'
>hype.jpg
>12 year old me goes home and begs mother for help with shitty cosplay of Kisa from fruits basket
>mom is really chill and supportive of hobbies, helps me modify a half decent cosplay
>ruin it with shitty tiger ears and a tail bc 'kawaii'
>day of competition arrives, held in the back of the Borders store on a normal day
>had to get changed in bathroom and walk around in front of normies
>absolute shitshow
>came second place to a guy 'cosplaying' urahara from bleach
>wore the hat, a naruto t-shirt and shitty tracksuit bottoms
>still salty

>> No.8947350
File: 95 KB, 259x350, 1339617586576.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8947075

>> No.8947353

>>8947209
I too know that cringe, though it was AN 2012 rather than 2011
At least there were some cute Lalondes there

>> No.8947512

My first cosplay was the matryoshka version of Gumi.
>basically just closet cosplay with fabric painted hoodie, but didn't look too shitty
>somehow didn't occur to me that people might want to take my pic at con
>at con someone with a DSLR asks for a photo
>it's really crowded and they're wearing weird contacts so at first I don't even realize they're talking to me
>and then I ask them WHY would they want a picture
>they insist that it's because I'm cute but I awkwardly decline and run after my friend
>friend called me an idiot after I told her what happened

I got asked for 2 more photos and those times I agreed and posed like a normal human being but that first person still haunts me.

>> No.8947986

>>8945806
>Toonami
>Borders
>Tokyopop
>Amphigory
Dear God this is like the most 2005 story you could have possibly told. Half of those things don't even exist anymore.

>> No.8948896

>>8947986
Good times.

>> No.8948925
File: 517 KB, 528x551, Untitled (3).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Friend invites me to con last minute
>Had been working on my first cosplay, Princess Bubblegum from Adventure Time
>Had wig, crown, Marceline's t shirt
>Decide to throw some pink shorts with it and call it a cosplay bc it's a hot summer con and I don't have anything else
>Get to con, in line waiting outside to buy ticket
>Grown ass men in front of me making comments about how I'm the "swimsuit version" of PB
>I'm wearing a t shirt and shorts in the dead of summer, Yokos and other actually attractive skimpily dressed girls surrounding
>Only 16 and waiting alone bc friend had pre regged
>mfw

>> No.8949390

My first time cosplaying was just 2 years ago when I was 18. I went as Akane from Psycho-Pass because it was simple, and the dominator looked fun to make. As I expected, I had a great time making it and my con experience was amazing as well. A lot of people recognized me and wanted pictures which I was really nervous about. I feel like my poses and facial expressions were really awkward since I don't usually like taking pictures, but eh, you learn along the way I guess.
Thinking back, I remember I wanted to buy a Hinata (Naruto) costume from ebay when I was like 11. I'm glad my parents didn't let me go through with it, it would've been so cringy.

>> No.8949440

>2002, I'm 12 and at the height of my weeb phase
>Hear about local anime con and see photos of cosplayers for the first time on their website
>Decide I want to cosplay too and decide to be Sesshomaru
>Except that I'm a 12-year-old weeb with no money so it's a cringy as fuck casual closet cosplay
>Jeans and a t-shirt with a print out of Sesshomaru glued to the front
>Spray paint white hair
>Cheap fake nails and make-up from costume store
>Fur shoulder thing made by my mom

I mean I had a great time but you can bet any photo evidence since been destroyed. It was pretty bad.

>> No.8949569

My first cosplay (outside of halloween) was as Quote from Cave Story. I had a few pictures taken. At one point a girl told me it was good that people were "representing indie games"

The costume was terrible and my antennas kept falling off.

>> No.8950133

>>8944672
I cosplayed Udyr at ALA this year. That was my first time doing an actual legit cosplay. I had the geta and everything. So I'm in the artist alley and some girl comes up and asks for a hug. I did not understand, so I went along with it. Immediately after she was out of earshot, I checked my bag and the pockets in the shorts I was wearing under it to make sure she didn't somehow rip me off.
Also got a couple comments on whether or not the (relatively tall) geta were comfortable to walk in, which they are if they're tight but as soon as they get loose you have to sort of pick them up with your feet and it sort of cramps up slightly but not too badly...
Also, my beard fell off after like an hour because my helpers didn't know how to use the beard hair+spirit gum combo and I wasn't in front of a mirror until after and I had to redo a bunch of it because I looked like a racial stereotype instead of a mountain man

>> No.8950150

>>8947132
>be 6
>obsessed with sailormoon
>get mom buy a dress with sailor collar
>try to make a sailor wand out of craft paper
>put stockings on your head because what is a wig
>I'M USAGI

I didn't know cosplay existed then.

>> No.8950154

>>8950150
At 6, that's cute.

>> No.8950245

My first cosplay was a "magical girl" version of Thor, and I went to the con with my friends as genderswapped avengers. They'd been before, but I hadn't, and I begged them to let us go as characters I actually knew. I made my cosplay with broadcloth and hemmed/trimmed the edges with bias tape. Left the cape seam unfinished because if I'd hemmed it with the skills I had then it would have been too short. I wore my school uniform shoes and knee socks, and I had a net "petticoat" (a big piece of netting folded over 4 times and gathered at the waist with elastic.) peeking out underneath intentionally because babby doesn't know what ruffles are. I think I tried to put on eyeshadow and mascara but I'm guessing I probably rubbed it off. I borrowed a friend's wig at some point but mostly went around with my very edgy grown-out asymmetrical scene haircut. We were asked by one photographer to do a quick photoshoot with her on the day I wore the wig. The whole experience was a lot of fun and I go every year now, but these days I'm more of a lolita than a cosplayer.

The whole getup still in my closet. It's pretty cringy, but I can't help feeling nostalgic looking at it. The cape is probably still salvageable now that I know how to use a roller foot.

>> No.8950296

This thread makes me feel fucking old.

> first time cosplaying in 2006
> second con ever
> was introduced to cosplay at last con
> decided to do Abel from Trinty Blood
> modify an old priest costume from goodwill
> spray long black hair silver
> no binding what so ever
> parents just go with it

I got recognized amazingly enough, I did a more legit cosplay the next year still using my real hair but still no binding.

>> No.8950363

>>8948925
Holy fuck if that was Smash! I think I know who you are.

>> No.8950499
File: 8 KB, 250x207, 1365884579055.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8947328
oh god this actually reminds me of my first real cosplay. First one was just some closet cosplay of Ichigo from Tokyo Mew Mew that I wore for halloween.
>SUPER into Hetalia when it was big
>Don't remember if I was in middle school or early high school so can't really remember exactly how old i was but id say i was probably 13 or 14
>get grandma to help me make a Hungary cosplay
>Actually looks pretty good because my grandma is pretty great at sewing and helped guide me through making the dress which wasn't too complicated
>Even got a decent quality wig off of ebay
>just liked to make excuses to wear it out to random places because mom didn't want to take me to the closest anime con which was a 3 hour drive away. Can't really blame her.
>See that suncoast is having one of those anime events with a cosplay contest
>my time has come
>Of course wear my Hungary cosplay to the event
>I end up losing to some guy who was cosplaying cloud
>His cardboard armor was falling apart
>"I think we can all agree that he should win because he is just having so much trouble with his complicated cosplay!"
>bitch my cosplay looked great and /wasn't/ falling apart because I knew my skill level
>still salty to this day but i still had a good time at that cringey ass event

>> No.8950529

>>8947986
You forgot the most telling one:
>xanga

>> No.8951682

I'll throw down.

>first cosplay ever, spring 2011 or so
>had just finished marathonning YGOTAS, thought it was the funniest shit since funny shit.
>decided to try and cosplay the pointy hair guy (named Kemo)
>went around spouting crusty memes with a large sign that said "ATTENTION DUELISTS!"
>ran into a seto kaiba cosplayer, we had a good laugh, he told me to go beat up some kids and went on his way
>later ran into a Mokuba that looked like they'd slept in a dumpster
>We did a quick kidnapping pose session as per character and went on our merry ways
>less than 5 people took pics but w/e, babby's first con
>didn't even have a wig, just used my normal hair and gelled it
>spent 45 minutes running around downtown looking for any place that sold hair gel
>hair still looked like trash

All in all it was a pretty good time.

>> No.8951720
File: 12 KB, 288x384, 922bad2ec6ff9fb76531084bfe13b8cf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2001
>13 year old weeb living in the middle of nowhere WV
>parents are about to divorce but decide to get along for one last time to take me to otakon
>Mom knows nothing about anime but decides to make me a di gi charat cosplay
>live in the middle of nowhere, supply shops are a 2 hour drive away and selection is very limited
>we spent 3 whole days putting the costume together with our meager sewing skills and limited supplies
>no wig available, so mom drenched my hair in this green temporary hair color that you put in with a mascara brush
>dejikos big bells are made of tiny little bells glued together because it was all I could find, also no petticoat
>my face was terribly greasy at the time despite being on prescription medicine for acne
>trying to look kawaii uguu for photos by winking
>I look terrible and mom eventually pulls me aside and tells me to knock it off
>having the time of my life being an awkward teenage weeb in a bad yet lovingly made costume
>this is the only photo that exists

>> No.8952123

>Be me, 2009
>Second year going to Acen, I decide to cosplay Sanji from One Piece
>Doing his Baratie Arc outfit, so it's relatively easy to put together
>Reuse an old blazer from a cosplay I bought years before, borrow brother's slacks and dad's tie and shirt
>Feeling great, not all I need is a wig
>Mom takes me to a local beauty store because I didn't think wigs existed online
>There's a wig that's perfect for Sanji, but $50 dollars so we don't get it
>Day of convention arrives
>Put on the costume in the morning, including a shitton of ace bandages to bind
>Spend the car ride sewing the buttons onto the front and sleeves of the jacket
>Stop and pick up some candy cigarettes to use as a prop
>Get to the con, waiting in the line to register and I start feeling sick
>Nauseous, headache, etc
>Mom can guarantee it's from the ace bandages, so as soon as we're out of the line she takes me to the bathroom to take them off
>Remove ace bandages, accidentally drop candy cigarettes into the toilet when I go to grab the bandages
>A little bummed, but I stay in the costume all day
I have no pictures to remember that costume by, and to be quite honest I'm glad that none exist

>> No.8952283

My first cosplay was Cait Sith from ff7, all in all it didn't look as horrible as it could have for a middle school kid doing his first cosplay. Still pretty cringe tho, kinda glad I can't find any of the pictures I had of it

>> No.8953685

>be 25
>live in UK
>going to visit friends in America later this year
>attending my first con
>they've already decided on Yosuke and Naoto cosplays
>follow the theme
>pick Dojima as he bests suits my aesthetics

I already have the cosplay bought since it's essentially just stuff I could wear to work, but I would hazard a guess and say nobody will recognise who I am without Yosuke or Naoto nearby.

>> No.8953746

My first cosplay was a fucking terrible mess I wore to school for Halloween.

>Decide to dress up as Akita Neru because of course vocaloid
>No sewing machine, have no materials and no experience at all
>Figure I can make it look okay anyways
>WRONG.jpg
>3 days to Halloween when I decide to do this
>Get some funky smelling unknown fabric from a thrift shop to make a pleated skirt
>Not enough fabric and ends up as sad lumpy skirt with like 3 pleats
>Cut up old yellow T-shirt for a tie
>Run out of yellow ribbon trim halfway through
>Make dad buy some more, he comes back with gift wrap ribbon
>Use it anyways
>It shreds apart
>Wanted to dye hair yellow with temporary spray
>My hair is black
>Cut up tights for stockings/shorts
>Felt armwarmers
>Don't remember what I did for her vest but it wasn't good
>Rushing to finish it all the night before at friends house with dad staring at us

Good times.

>> No.8953754

>>8953685
you're underestimating the persona fandom. i'd recognize daddy dojima anywhere ;)

>> No.8953755

>>8946848
....? miku does carry a leek, not a spring onion

>> No.8953777
File: 86 KB, 500x667, tumblr_inline_nz69ukkVGH1sujqqh_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I honestly don't remember how far back it was
>2009-8ish? No clue
>Be..12ish?? Maybe 13?
>Friend I had the gay for really liked lucky star
>Decide to dress as Konata since she was dressing as Kagami even though I know nothing about the anime
>Struggling to pronounce it ko-na-ta or kona-ta
>gets it wrong every time and sperg friend always goes off on me about it
>Getting lots of attention and it was really enjoyable
>decided to date said friend later but she wasn't actually gay and I made shit all awkward
>went to one more anime con with them a few months later (pic related) dressed as Tweak from south park
>After that con never saw a single one of them again

She's the Miku in the picture and I still have the mad gay for her. Too bad she's straighter than a pencil and crazy. I still miss the feel of the anime clique though. I've been to a handful of cons since then with other friends but it just never was the same new feel of being completely immersed in anime with your weeb friends. I actually haven't cosplayed in such a long time yet here I am every day on /cgl/.

>> No.8953793
File: 254 KB, 720x540, Baby's first cosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Be me, be 16
>Don't realize that anime cons are a thing that happen all over the place, decide I want to go to Metrocon in florida because it's the first con I discover.
>Just getting into Naruto and obsessed with Jacey62's cosplay videos, decide I want to be Deidara.
>Get parents to order Akatsuki robe off the internet.
>No wig, beg my mom to bleach my long brown hair blonde. It doesn't completely work, and I end up combing nasty coloured hairspray into my hair to make it more yellow.
>Ninja sandals made of destroyed socks and a pair of flip flops
>Softball pants
>Handmouths are sculpted from clay and superglued to the palms of my hands.
>Poorly made eyescope is glued to my face, end up tearing off eyebrow when I remove it.
>What is makeup? Horribly smudged eyeliner and nothing else.

Despite looking like a disaster, I still had the time of my young weeabo life. Despite some cringe, I still think about it pretty fondly.

>> No.8953842

>>8949440
>>Jeans and a t-shirt with a print out of Sesshomaru glued to the front
like... a literal picture of sesshomaru...?

>> No.8953843

>>8952123
it's a good thing you took the bandages off, that would have caused a lot of damage

>> No.8953849

>>8953793
Look how happy you look, though. I miss my weeb days sometimes just because of how blissfully naïve and happy I was.

>> No.8953854

>>8953793
>superglued
jesus

>> No.8954462
File: 299 KB, 857x477, 35.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2008, was 13 or 14 at the time
>Babby's first cosplay was Matt form Death Note
>Modified existing pieces of clothing for the costume
>Costume itself turns out pretty clean except the glasses
>Makeup wasn't bad either because at that point I had worn makeup for years
>However, didn't get a wig and didn't realize binding my boobs was a thing
>First ever con rolls around
>Small con in a middle of nowhere
>Bought pocky and yaoi, did some cringy shit with online-friends, the usual stupid first con-stuff
>It was 2008 so Death Note was popular
>Kept seeing a Mello cosplayer around the con, goddamn Matt/Mello was the OTP of my young fujo heart
>Just danced around the Mello for the whole con without having the courage to even say hi
>Just before the con ends I man the fuck up and as for a photo and a hug
>The cosplayer is really happy and has been eyeing me the whole con as well
>Didn't realize to ask for any contact info and just went home
>Go home feeling happy yet still somehow bittersweet

I don't know if I look back at the experience fondly or am I just cringing hard.

>>8945869
Nice, anon, we had the same first cosplay.

>> No.8954482

>See online friends cosplaying, was really into TF2 at the time
>How hard can it be
>Spends months working on an accurate sized sniper rifle at my boyfriend's house since I didn't have any woodworking tools
>Rifle ends up being huge since I used in-game measurements
>Bought dummy sniper bullets online, already the right color plus feel cool to hold
>Bought all my clothing pieces except the vest that I made
>Have never sewn anything besides PJ pants in high school
>Bias tape is terrible to work with
>Somehow turns out okay, aside from some uneven bias tape and snapping a sewing needle
>Fanime rolls around and walk around in my cosplay and go to the meetup
>People asking for pics, have fun banter with other TF2 cosplayers
>Friend hooked us up with a photoshoot

I was definitely lucky to do this when I was older, I worry what teenage me would have done if I cosplayed back then. Happy that I got to have a not so cringely experience.

>> No.8954508
File: 26 KB, 375x500, 1148575053_f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

First cosplay done in high school for a small, local convention about 13 years ago. I knew how to see from being raised by a single mother. Tried to use some interesting materials like the orange burlap I found at the Salvation Army. I thought the feet idea would be clever but it was a bit rushed and could have been better. I'd never touched a wig before so it was a mess of hair spray. It really could have used a katana to round the chatacter out.

I always thought it wasn't that good. But after looking for it on google images and seeing all the others, it ain't half bad. :)

>> No.8955421

>>8954508
Is that you?

>> No.8956314

>>8944672
Post pics OP, that glove is giving me weird tingly feelings. No homo

>> No.8957166

>>8956314
I'd have to put it back on, not that im against that. But i have a lot to do atm so maybe later tonight

>> No.8957599
File: 79 KB, 720x480, icannotfuckingbelieveiampostingthis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Be me at 15, cosplaying Lucy from Elfen Lied (the outfit she wears in the final episode) at a local con
>Hot pink Party City wig, at least I kind of bothered to style it
>dress has weird velvet floral pattern
>ill-fitting pink shirt
>open-toed red shoes
>for the rave that night i just kept the cosplay on but put on those fuzzy legwarmer things over my socks
>still got tons of pics taken of me and I had the time of my life

pic related, me doing the caramelldansen for added cringe

>> No.8960958

>>8957166
Well?
We're waiting.

>> No.8961449

>>8945806
>a bucket
Literally why though dear god

>> No.8961507

My first cosplay was Kasumi from King of Fighters. I'd grown up sewing so it didn't come out half bad. I was 17 and wore it to Anime Boston 2003. The worst part was my natural hair - my mother wouldn't allow me to dye it for the cosplay and I thought that 'real' cosplayers used their own hair. My hair looked bloody awful and ruined the whole thing. Holy cringe batman. I don't have any photo evidence of my weeby travesty. Still, the con was perfect and the experience changed my life.

>> No.8962012
File: 132 KB, 850x874, sample-20208ff4eb75408cb41d87f10b5bcff1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8944672
>Just turned 17, third con I've gone too and I'm still having the time of my life.
>Decide to go as Ghoul Tsukune from the Rosario+Vampire manga because I love that shit.
>make face markings and apply "blood" to the shirt.
>Actually looks great because the costume itself isn't too difficult. Also look the part.
>Go to con, literally four people recognize me. Two little girls and two college students somehow.
>Still overjoyed people knew who I was anyways.
>Wanted to get some Space Dandy stuff signed by Ian Sinclair.
>He recognizes who I was.

Pretty awesome time for a first cosplay. I'm pretty relieved I didn't get into it until I was older and didn't end up doing cringy stuff. I later got the student coat for the costume so I'm recognized more often now. Mostly by girls for some reason.

>> No.8962025

>>8962012
AWA?

>> No.8962671

>>8955421
Yup :/

>> No.8963008
File: 1.82 MB, 2592x1936, photo 6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>17
>1st legit cosplay, doing HUNK from Resident Evil
>bought all the pieces online
>go to Sydney Supanova
>suit is so compressing, especially the tight gas-mask/balaclava on my face
>whole con consists of doing a lap around the con and sitting down to buy a bottle of coke
>have like 15 photos taken of me, couldn't find any online
>some guys (who probably thought I was from COD 4) say as I walk by "that's the best costume I've seen today"
>smile brightly as sweat leaches into my mouth

It was all worth the cost and effort.

>> No.8963018

>first cosplay
>get invited by avid congoer
>whole group decides on FF Crystal Chronicles
>Clavats, Selkies, and even one Yuke
>lots of photos and goofing off with people
>got a girl's number
>end up dating
>still together after 7 years

>> No.8963023

>>8963018
Aw anon, that's cute.

>> No.8963048

First real cosplay (horror) story:
>just got into uni, decide to finally make a real cosplay
>decide that I want to do hei from darker than black
>tell myself that I'm going go go all out with this
>go to goodwill, buy underclothes that roughly looked the same. alter them to fit me a bit better.
>buy coat that is vaguely similar to his, but it needs a bit of work. badly change buttons, badly add green lining, badly add belt thing into collar
>badly make paper mache mask, cover eyeholes with black panty hose on the inside.
>time for the dagger
>spend entirely too much fucking money, order silicon for mold and casting resin
>base for the dagger made out of crescent board and modelling clay actually comes out all right, time to cast this shit
>use silicon to make mold
>mix casting resin in plastic container, pour it into mold
>ohno.jpg
>turns out the surface I used when making the mold wasn't level, casting resin overflows
>desperately try to make it level by sticking shit under it
>meanwhile, the remaining casting resin eats through the shitty, thin plastic of the container I mixed it in and spills out all over my desk and onto my floor
>did I mention that I was doing this in my dorm room?
>the reek of stale alcohol throughout the dorm is overpowered by the stench of the resin chemicals for the next 2 months
>the RAs never said anything about it, but my roommate fucking hated me

I like to think my skills have somewhat improved since then, but I still can't stomach the smell of casting resin.

>> No.8963064

> Be me at 12, shitty hetalia fag, France is my husbando.
> That year was shit as I was dealing with a lot of stress from school and a falling out with a shitty friend.
> J Michael Tatum is at Anime Boston
> Go to con just for him, wait in line for getting autograph.
> Mom tells me I'm gonna cry
> "Ugh, no mom I'm not a baby"
> Finally get up to JMT
> Bawl my little baby eyes out.
> He gives me a hug, "Nooo, stop! You're gonna make me cry!"
> Tells me I made his day.
> Go to masquerade later on, my first one. It's absolute shit but I was 12 and its my first one so I thought it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.
> Go home and cry in hotel bed because that's the first time in my life I felt so at peace.

> Be me now, been going for 6 years.

>> No.8963096

>>8946848
wow, exactly same as me -- including the leek thing (except mine was worn around halloween, where I subjected my friend's family to a whole new level of cringy cosplay) not sure if I'm glad or sad about that

>> No.8963410
File: 14 KB, 320x240, 091.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Cosplaying James from Pokemon
>First ever con, first ever cosplay
>Actually a pretty decent cosplay
>Except hair
>Decide to dye hair instead of wearing a wig
>Buy several cans of blue hair spray
>Morning of con, spray hair
>It does fucking nothing
>Two cans in, just have a vaguely blue shade
>Give up, just go as blonde James instead
>Still had a great time

>> No.8965546

>>8963023
Thanks! It was our "thing" for a while to get together and play the game. I really think she's the one and it's nice that I don't have any of these horror stories I read about. Almost all of my con experiences are completely positive .

>> No.8965572
File: 87 KB, 480x640, 903917.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was going to post my Pleinair or Maka but I totally forgot about this picture which is my actual first cosplay

>2005-6ish
>in HS
>Just started getting into anime
>Got into Chobits and Fruits Basket
>decided to cosplay at school cause Kyo was my boo at that time
>no wig
>no make up

I couldn't get the un-painted over version because I don't remember where I got this from. I probably deleted it

>> No.8969847

>>8944697
>Free non-poisoned gatorade is also bretty gud for a first timer
Critics can be harsh. Very harsh.

>> No.8973887

>>8956314
op pull thru

>> No.8973909
File: 1.76 MB, 2592x1936, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My first time I won best overall craftsmanship at a 16,000+ convention.

Damn I'm good.

>> No.8973910
File: 156 KB, 470x680, tumblr_ma9wggechG1qbn8rjo2_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be 16
>want to cosplay korra
>everything is hot glue
>didn't know how to make the collar stand up, so just cut up a plain blue t-shirt and hot glued white ribbon lining
>what is hemming, who knows
>decide to wear my blue ribbon choker for kicks cause it fit
>no wig
>takes an hour to put in one colored contact
>uggs with old beige knit scarf I cut up stuffed at the top

There was a "fountain" (more like a water play area for children) in my town that shot up water and my friend took a picture of me posing as water shot up around me. Felt very cool about that photo, but that costume lasted that shoot and a half a con before it fell apart quite literally at the seams of all my shitty hot gluing.

>> No.8974555

>>8973909
Are you done sucking your own dick and gonna show us what it was and what year?

>> No.8974556

>>8973909
Didnt get first place in rotating pictures, i see

>> No.8974586
File: 593 KB, 2322x4128, hand.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8973887
Sorry, sorry, Ive been really busy, I'll upload some now. One had to be done in snapchat because of awkward button placement, and that the touch screen is really fiddly in my "babbies first plugsuit"

>> No.8974589
File: 541 KB, 2322x4128, gams.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8974586
The suit is rather oddly fitted, its form fitting in the legs, but on my torso its less fitting so it makes me look a bit wider than I actually am. Most likely because of the cheap build, but motivation to make my own, right?

>> No.8974593
File: 157 KB, 1080x1920, booty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8974589
Either way I've been told it looks rather nice, I certainly do enjoy wearing it, even if it is a bit of a hassle putting it on.

>> No.8974594
File: 166 KB, 1920x1080, semi full view.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8974593
Also please excuse the slight mess, im in the process of re-making the jacket, as the current one has the big EVANGELION on the back, which is not what I ordered.

>> No.8974596
File: 371 KB, 4128x2322, timestamp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8974594
And then here's a timestamp to prove its me.
Plug suits make drawing a bit hell, its like ice skating, but not as fun. And more frustrating.

Thats all im taking for now, got more stuff to do. I hope they don't disappoint.

>> No.8974732
File: 700 KB, 1640x2460, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8974555
Elite Knight, Dark Souls
Youmacon 2015

I didn't even know anime conventions existed until my sister took me to one 3 years ago. I wish I knew about these when I was in high school. The competition was great and I met many good people.

There's no story behind the costume. I made it when I was 26 and at that time I already had developed a lot of useful resources and skills from my career. The costume was just the result of having a lot of time.

The costume won because it covered all the details and was an actual suit of armor made of steel and leather.

>> No.8975436

>>8974594
Damn. . .

>> No.8975597

>>8974589
>>8974593
>>8974594
I see nothing at all to worry about here.
...Woah, wait, you're into Monogatari? And a good artist?

Do you have a finger that needs a ring?

>> No.8975673

>>8951720
T-This is a cute story and throwback pic anon

>> No.8975843

>>8974586
>>8974589
>>8974593
Anon where did you order this suit from? Aside from the breast plate things (no premade plugsuit I've seen ever gets them right and it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine) this looks pretty decent.

>> No.8975872

>2010, be a 13 year old hetalia weeb
>decide to cosplay as russia as my first cosplay
>mom works her ass off with my cosplay and gets me shoes and pants etc. for the costume and makes the coat herself
>cosplay consist of an pretty ok coat, inaccurate cargo pants, fucking UGG boots, fringed white scarf
>wear my black thick rimmed glasses instead of getting contact lenses
>no wig since I have a blonde short hair and decide it's good enough
>know of binding so I just wrap ace bandage around my chest
>to top it all, decide to wear fucking huge ass white cat ears to make me appear cuter since I am a 160 cm girl after all so I won't be very accurate anyways
>wear it all to a convention, it was hot as fuck and there I was in my ugg boots sweating my ass off
>ace bandages hanging around my waist instead of my chest because it's too loose
>walking around at the convention, too afraid to talk to anyone
>get a few pictures taken because "AWW YOU'RE SUCH A CUTE NEKO RUSSIA!!"
>never wear the costume again

The fucking boots haunt me, my feet were boiling in them. And they were ugly as shit and not accurate at all. I wish that I'd least would've gotten contact lenses. I didn't even take my glasses off for pictures..
It wasn't really anything too embarassing but it would've been so easy to make the costume better with small changes. The con I was in was pretty much my first too, I had no clue what to do there so I just sat somewhere staring at my feet while almost crying for the most part. I wish I had a pic to show but I have lost the only one that I had. I haven't cosplayed much, pretty much because my first experiences were kind of shitty and not fun at all.

>> No.8975883

>>8975597
Aw thank you~
Out of curiosity, what lead you to believe I was into monogatari? I am, but, just curious.
and I may~

>>8975843
zentaizentai, I had gotten the suit at around 40-50% off and I kinda want the blue test-type suit, simply because I like the color, but, again, ill fitting suits are hardly as good as form fitting.

>> No.8976060 [DELETED] 

>>8974594
Op, have you done the dirty in that yet?
Its important to me.

>> No.8976088

>>8975883
>Out of curiosity, what lead you to believe I was into monogatari?

The figure in the first photo.

>> No.8976380

>>8976088
Oh right right my bad, i thought there was something in the other photos

>> No.8976431

>>8975883
How'd you get the discount?
>still interested

>> No.8976488

>>8976431
It seemed to just be a sale that they were passing on the suits. However it appears that the offer has long sense past.

>> No.8976490

>>8976488
Since*

>> No.8976561

>I go to PAX for a few years
>decide this will be the time to make my own costume
> go as the anger from Brink
>get all materials but due to long distances I couldn't work on it
>day before the convention start working on it like a mad man
>hot glue everything
>day of the convention, in line, some guy looks at me and said "the game really sucks man"
>one guy who was dressed as Cole McGrath from Infamous thought I was from the game
>went with it and hangout with him for the rest of the day

I surprisingly had a good time, even though people kept telling me that the game sucked.

>> No.8976612

>>8976488
$69 now.... might grab it, looks good enough for the "Shinji in Asuka's plugsuit" gag cosplay I've been wanting to do.

>> No.8977407

First real cosplay, of an actual character:
>had been wanting to get into cosplay for a while
>end up on Ryoga from Ranma
>order wig, try to get nice fabric
>last night before con, still barely started on sweater¨
>start crying out of desperation
>manage to calm down, make a bunch of shortcuts
>at con, get recognized by a few and get a couple of pictures taken
>people are nice, cosplay a success

actually, I worked on two cosplays in parallel for that con, and I think I finished a shitty "Derpy" from MLP before I finished that (if that garbage I made can be considered finished), but Ryoga was the first I wore, and wore most of the time, and I think I started planning that first too.

>> No.8977550
File: 67 KB, 858x536, 5a6ea95b-8259-495d-af37-73d0f36bc61c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8974594
Op please tell me you're willing to do sexy photos in that suit.
Or have you already done cosplay sex?

>> No.8977592

>>8973910
Idk if it's just the photo but you look cute anon.

>> No.8981526

>>8977550
Maybe if you ask nicely.

>> No.8981608

>>8974594

I fucking have this suit, from zentai zentai?
God, it bled all over my feet the first time I wore it.

First cosplay was ACen 2008 and I did a closet cosplay of Misa from Death note, for relevance. It was all hot topic and bought, looked nothing like her.

>> No.8982037

>>8945001
is creepy wordfiltered to seedy or are there just a lot of people saying seedy

>> No.8982045

>>8981608
>God, it bled all over my feet the first time I wore it.
Can you elaborate?

>> No.8982389

>>8982045
Not them, but I assume they mean the color leeched out, probably due to sweat, and stained their feet.

>> No.8982732

>>8982389
Ew.
Maybe a pre-wash before wearing would help?

>> No.8984937

>2006 (?)
>I was 11 and really into Inuyasha
>Actually made the costume for Halloween
>Mom couldn't find the right unitard with a mock neck and wouldnt let me buy one online so she bought a stretch crushed velvet scoopneck one
>I was a perfectionist but had to take what I could get
>Made the armor from cloth and interfacing
>Made Hiraikotsu (boomerang) from stuffing, newspaper, coathangers, and onion-skin dyed sheets (I don't understand my material choice anymore) with carefully made yarn tassels. Panicked over getting it done in time since that was just for the con
>Actual hair with hime cut bc small weeb
>Got like 11 photos taken and lots of exclaiming over being a tiny sango
>it was a great time

I still have most of that costume. The sewing and construction is actually horrible, since I'd never really sewed much before, but at least I used mostly matching thread. I was a perfectionist with very little experience in how to do things well.
Didn't cosplay again til like 2011 though. I tried an Ichigo (TMM) costume before then but it never got finished bc I didn't have the budget for all the materials.

>> No.8985019

>>8951720
Bless you for uploading a picture anon. Cute story!

>> No.8985021

>>8953793
I just can't stop laughing at the Akatsuki with jeans on towards the top of the picture.

>> No.8985884
File: 228 KB, 506x900, good.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8974732

>> No.8985901
File: 28 KB, 418x590, kiba2008.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> Anime Boston 2008
> first con ever
> fucking obsessed with Naruto
> wanted to cosplay Sasuke but can't sew/make anything
> Kiba's easy enough
> mom sews fur onto hoodie bought from Walmart
> No wig, just had the hood up the whole time
> lipstick on my face for cheek markings
> everybody was really nice
> naruto shoot was a little crazy but still okay
> had a great time in crappy costume
> betterthanexpected.jpg

Pic related is what I could dig up. I'm sure this Hinata was chill but I can't remember that far back, haha.

>> No.8985908

>>8977550
You don't happen to live is Washington, do you?

>> No.8986006

my first experience in cosplay was fun. I went as the gundam seed character Lacus, and I was at a comic con. I thought no one would recognize me, but I actually got several pictures taken and one guy stopped to talk to me about the series. It felt really good.

>> No.8986200

>be really shy person so something like cosplay was definitely a first for me
>17 years old, bought my costumes online they were kind of expensive but good at least
>sailor mars and daenerys targaryen
>not very unique or creative characters but i liked the costumes and i had fun anyways
>about 12 people asked for my photos each day, no idea what the average was but i was pleased that people seemed to like them
>some people got really excited to see their favourite characters irl, it was really sweet how people were so happy about it and it really made my day

>waiting for my friends to arrive at the subway station, one guy would not leave me alone and not stop talking about how much he loves sailor moon and imitating their attacks
>i was really uncomfortable but i didn't want to say anything so i wouldn't hurt his feelings
>people on the subway complimented my outfits, said i looked very pretty, asked if i and the other cosplayers were on their way to a theatre play
>drunk guy saw my daenerys cosplay and raved about it, took a picture with me and couldn't wait to show his friends

overall it was a great experience, i would like to cosplay again but i don't feel like dropping so much money on costumes/wigs

i would post pictures but all i have is selfies. i tried to get my friend with a nice camera to take pictures but they all ended up looking horrid with bad lighting, angles, etc.

>> No.8987831

>>8982045

Bled all over the shoes that I was wearing over the bottoms, I wore black flats so I wouldn't be barefoot at the con all day. The insides turned purple.

>>8982389
>>8982732

I washed it first, and the hands bled too. After that con I washed it a few more times and it stopped, so no big.

>> No.8987899

>2006, AnimeIowa
>Total Narutard, as were my 2 best girlfriends at the time, decide to cosplay together
>Friend A goes as genderbend Naruto, I'm genderbend Sasuke, and Friend C is Temari
>Friend C is and always has been a total bad ass at everything creative she does, pulls off amazing Temari, making full sized fan and everything, just no wig
>I make it work with the help of my mother, learn sewing basics
>Mom chaperones the event, drives us to the con, pays for hotel, etc. She was super helpful and encouraging and found it all to be entertaining
>No wig, put my hair in pigtails, no makeup, storebought Naruto headband, altered shirt, handmade arm warmers and leg wraps, jeans
>collar is huge and stands up like an Elizabethan collar for a dog that just had its balls chopped off
>Bring along chinese fans to hold for photos, wtf 16 year old me
>For shoes, decide that staple-gunning broadcloath to sandals will be "fine"
>Wasn't fine.
>During photoshoot, staples start coming out of shoes and stabbing the fuck out of my feet

Had a shit ton of fun, had several photos taken, learned a good lesson about crafting shoes.
The following year, I morphed that into a proper Sasuke cosplay, but still didn't have a wig. Turned out pretty decent anyways. So wish I hadn't taken 3 years off from cosplaying, I could be so much further now.

>> No.8988752

>>8987831
Ok, so multi-prewash recommended. Thanks.

>> No.8988791

>decide to do something that's my passion as my first cosplay
>cosplay Rathalos blademaster from Monster Hunter Tri
>work on cosplay for 4 months, pretty much use all my dads carpenter tools to work on it
>glue I used was efficient but not strong at all
>cosplay falls apart halfway through the con
>helmet and gloves were the only part that survived
To this day I regret it all

>> No.8989691

Went as Byakuya Togami to PAX East this year. Saw one Hajime cosplayer, no other DR related ones.

Expected more especially with DR2 release coming out so recently, but I guess not.

On a related note, will probably do Nagito for next year. Cosplaying funner than expected.