[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 72 KB, 358x239, HNNNGGGG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8631064 No.8631064 [Reply] [Original]

There's one for Lolita but not for everything else. Let's change that.

I'll go first:
> Not sealing body paint
> Cosplaying from a series you havn't read/played/watched
>Closet Cosplay
If it actually looks like the character than a+ but if you're literally just too poor and lazy to make something actually resembling the character why fucking bother.
>NOT SHOWERING. SERIOUSLY WHATS SO FUCKING SCARY ABOUT HYGIENE

How about you Anons?

>> No.8631159

make-up test posts on tumblr that look like shit but still somehow manage to get hundreds of notes

>> No.8631168

"alternate versions" of characters that are just a wig on whatever clothes they slapped together.

>> No.8631180

>>8631159
Adding to this, tumblr face. Which I call that face girls make the the lips slightly apart, no smile, head turned slightly to the side, trying not to look like a model.

>> No.8631193
File: 80 KB, 640x480, svetlana-quindt-kamui-01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

all this fucking worbla armor. It's flat, cookie cuttery, and people like Kamui trick newfags into thinking they can actually make a smooth piece their first time as long as they buy the tutorial book.
Most of the time, it looks fucking horrid and the same armor could be made even better (and 3 tiems cheaper) with shit like EVA foam.

>> No.8631194

>>8631193
>times
i need to sleep

>> No.8631217

>>8631064

The idea that you need to make a progression from bad costumes, to mediocre costumes, to good costumes.

You should be spending more time planning and producing tests / samples. When you make a test, you focus on learning. When you work on a project, you end up focusing on completing the project instead of learning.

>> No.8631271

> "famous" cosplayers saying that anyone can cosplay no matter race/weight/age/looks

yeah you can cosplay who ever the fuck you want, but don't get upset when no one wants your pic or you don't win contests.

I feel like these people should be honest. Yeah people might not take your picture, but that's not the point. And while there is a very serious side to this hobby and you can become a master of many skills, odds are most people are doing this to have fun. idek man, this just gets me worked up and I don't have the ability to articulate how I feel, and how dishonest "everyone can cosplay" sounds.

>> No.8631281

>>8631168
I don't mind this as long as they don't act like it's a real cosplay. If you want to slap together a faux cosplay like that to have some fun and feel more connected to other fans, feel free. Just don't act like it's a real costume.

>> No.8631284

Wearing cosplay to anything that isn't a con or cosplay event.

You do not need to cosplay at the mall and McDonald's.

>> No.8631288

>>8631284
Do you mean just randomly wearing cosplay to places for the heck of it or do you still mind it if a con is going on?
For example, con is in town and cosplayers take a break and go to mcdonald's, does that annoy you?

>> No.8631586

>broadcloth or quilting fabric used for every bit of a cosplay

>> No.8631588

>>8631193

this reeks of imad

>> No.8632309

>>8631288
Nah that's normal. No-one is gonna change to go get lunch. And I get cosplay meets are a thing, but I've heard of people going out in cosplay just for the sake of going out, it boggles my mind, and rustles my jimmies so much.

Especially afterwards when they complain on social media about people staring at them, or laughing. Thanks idiots, you're giving the rest of us a bad image, people already think cosplayers are socially retarded.

>> No.8632353

>>8631064

>series you haven't watched/played

Tell that to the legions of people who will probably bring Fire Emblem Fates or Persona 5 to katsucon when neither have come out because *muh photo con*

>> No.8632414

People who do cosplays like Misty or closet Harley Quinn, or hipster/punk/steampunk/casual whoever and get pissed/grumpy/surprised when no-one takes their picture.

>> No.8632444

People who want free hugs. Especially if they're just standing there in a crowded place or following or insisting on getting a hug from complete stranger. Bonus for disgusting body odor.

>> No.8633179

The screaming teenies, pls stop

>> No.8633202
File: 981 KB, 500x348, giphy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I actually think getting mad at people cosplaying from something they haven't seen/read is stupid. Not everyone cosplays because they love a character, plenty of people cosplay just because they love a design. Big fucking deal.

>> No.8633212

>>8633202
People cosplaying to be the FIRST!!!! is one of my peeves, personally. I can understand if you just LOVE a design, but the anons floating around asking where they can buy every piece for cosplaying the Persona 5 MC are just fucking annoying. There's nothing even to that design to love.

>> No.8633493

>>8633202
I think there's a variety of reasons for this to be frowned upon:

1) people would think that person is a fan, but instead of engaging in conversation about the series, there would be an awkward shrug and dismissal. A major letdown for the fan.

2) it makes the person seem like an attention whore, who is using the design to get attention without devoting any energy to the series.

3) there are so many ways to participate in a series that it's silly and lazy not to. If you don't have the gaming console, then watch a walkthrough. Not much of a gamer or watcher? There's often a manga or book to accompany the series. Legend of Zelda has a manga for each game, and even Parappa the rapper has an anime. So it would take some serious laziness to not find a medium suitable for the series.

>> No.8633497

Room mates who have to fight at the con. They can't play nice and argue after the con. Nah, they have to fight then and there and it makes it incredibly awkward for everyone else.

Even better is when those two can barely be in the same room without fighting, and you're all crammed into the same room for the whole con.

>> No.8633501

>>8632309
It rustles my jimmies too. To be fair, no one is going to know what the fuck is going on.

I randomly saw a Grell and Ciel Phantomhive crossing the street with no anime cons or anything going on in a relatively small town. In my car, it just looked like someone in a weird red wig and some girl in a fancy outfit crossing the street with an eyepatch. Had I not know the characters or that they were cosplayers, I'd just assume they were some weird kids or going to some event. Random cosplay wasn't as much of an eyesore as I thought.

>> No.8633503

>>8633212
Depends if they want to wear his school uniform or his thief costume though.

>> No.8633652

>>8631193
I think worbla armor looks good when done well, but mixing materials gives a nicer effect, some textures are hard to get with worbla. There's a girl I follow on ig called charlicosplay I think that does almost all of her cosplays with eva foam and I think they look very good.

>> No.8633655

>>8633497
Don't room stuff then. Pay for your own room

>> No.8633816

>>8633493
Wait, Parappa the Rapper has an anime?

>> No.8633834

>>8633212

There were people cosplaying Quiet from MGSV the week after the TRAILER featuring her came out.

>> No.8633870

People defending themselves and others cosplaying from things they havent played/watched.
>B-but I like the designs and appreciate the art

Well shit cosplay from an art book like Sakizo then, are your interests really that limited

>> No.8634037

>>8633816
Yep!

You can find a decent amount of it on Youtube. It's wonderfully cheesy. I don't recall there being much rapping in it, but there's some karate here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PweFuUlR3-E

>> No.8634062
File: 48 KB, 244x243, r7868789.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8631193
I also don't like how so many newbs are picking up Kamui's "worbla is easy!!!!" tricks because everything looks so terrible, but my top peeve about it is the way Kamui shades armor.

Everything Kamui makes looks exactly the same and her weathering doesn't look realistic at all. Weathering is supposed to make armor look used or dingy and it only builds up in certain places. Kamui puts it everywhere like it's an accent color.
And of course, newbies are picking this up and making it even worse.

>> No.8634589

>>8633497

Holy shit this

>mfw my friend texts me that our mutual friend who's about to be car pooling with them for 8 hrs to the con & rooming with us for the weekend has decided to reveal all the passive aggressive bullshit that's been boiling in her head for the last few months.

seriously she couldn't have waited until after the weekend was over?

>> No.8634605

>NEETs coming up to hug without asking, especially when they reek of no baths and smegma.

>There was one time that this girl wanted to hug me, but she was REALLY stank and had visible armpit sweat on her costume. She was really nice though so I felt bad and did it. Still wish people would bathe daily if they are prone to odor.

>Non-cosplayers that come to cons for booth babes and are pushy as fuck/love breaking props and hurting people.

>Women crossplaying as male characters and calling it cosplay, but when they see a guy dressed as a girl (and pulling it off better) they call it crossplay and make all their comments about passing and how the guy looks so pretty even though he's a guy. ffss

>>8631159
>Shitty make-up tests
Especially make-up test fakebois getting 20k notes because tumblr.
At least you could style your wig right and get into costume.. like shit, dawg.

>>8631271
Excluding weight, as long as maximum effort is put into it, I don't see the problem?

>> No.8634635

>>8632353
Idk I tend to give people a free pass on new games if they've played something else in the series. I like the Fates designs more than Awakening's, but for a lot of people it'll just be a race to be first.

My pet peeve is everyone cosplaying League characters without playing. Game's easy and runs on toasters. Suck it up and play it jfc.

>> No.8635014
File: 497 KB, 320x240, grandpa-simpson.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I hate it when cosplayers cosplay for different reasons than me!

>> No.8635174
File: 91 KB, 350x600, 1429120053647.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Cosplays with shitty catchphrase signs/signs explaining the joke
>Funko Pop figures fucking everywhere

>> No.8635367

>>8635174
>Funko Pop
Oh god I hate those. Does anyone even buy them?

>> No.8635565

>>8631064

weebs

weebs fucking kill cons for me

>> No.8635601

>>8635565
Are there cons without weebs though? That would be pretty cool to go to a con where people have some manners and don't give you second hand embarrassment all the time.

>> No.8637483

>>8635367
Normies who don't know how terrible the quality is.

>> No.8637625

>>8631180
I know what youre talking about, I dont think theyre trying to look modelish but I think theyre trying to do the "ugly is cute" thing. And they only do it after they see other tumblrgirls do it to be cool.

Smiling always makes you look good, squinty eyes and all. wake up sheeple

>> No.8637639

>>8635367
I think the ones thatre "humans" fucking suck, but the animal ones are okay. I'm incredibly sick of them though and I hate it when someone I'm with picks up characters I like and goes "Look! You want it??"

No I dont fucking want this ten dollar piece of fuck, I want a real god damned figure. They're like starter figures for normies.

>> No.8637681
File: 56 KB, 800x800, toy-funko-me-shepard-full_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8635367
i have one from a series i am thirsty for merch for, but i appreciate that they actually molded the n7 armor on. he sits in from of my mgs figures and i don't think he looks too bad, considering its a fucking funko pop..

other than that sweet fuck no keep them away.

>> No.8637683

>>8637681
oh and he was only £5/$7 so

>> No.8639473

Not asking me for a photo. Takes two seconds. Then you get an actual nice posed photo instead of me running after my tall friends. :/

>> No.8639682

>>8637681
Enjoy your Mcdonalds toy

>> No.8639688

>>8632353
>Tell that to the legions of people who will probably bring Fire Emblem Fates

But aaaanon there's translations so I ttly know everything!!!!

I'm so sick of nobody willing to wait for actual translations of the entire game, and being able to play the game your way, before plastering the entire plot on their blogs because they saw a video.

>yes I'm salty

>> No.8639821
File: 36 KB, 500x281, 1431387604178.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fakebois.

Especially the ones who look and dress like cute feminine girls. Like if you want to pretend to be a boy so bad, is it THAT hard to put away the lolita dresses and close your makeup drawer for when you camwhore on Tumblr? It's not hard at all to act like a typical nerdy guy, since they're hardly manly at all.

>> No.8639822

>>8639821
Oops, didn't realize this thread was specific to cosplay. Stupid me.

I guess I can also say that fakebois who only cosplay girl characters bug me too.

>> No.8639831

>>8639821
my fav thing is that mordecai looks just like criedwolves in this lmao

>> No.8639857
File: 151 KB, 500x281, criedbluejays.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8639831
It needed a few extra touches.

>> No.8639884

>>8639688
If they know thee game in and out and know the details of the character then there's nothing wrong with that.

>> No.8639888

>>8634037
The theme song is amazing.

>> No.8639991

>>8634635
I don't. I thought it was really dumb how many people started cosplaying Wii U Link when there was hardly any reference images available of him except for a 10-second scene from the teaser. They're probably going to find that they missed several important details because they couldn't wait just a little bit longer for the official artwork to come out. Bunch of plebs...

>> No.8640026

>>8639884
True, but often they've only seen a few bits of the new characters, and like the other anon said, it more often then not feels only like a race to be the first fe:fates cosplayer.

>> No.8640043

>>8639991
Okay, I gotta side with you there. There's nothing to go off of for a lot of the characters people are rushing to cosplay, like most the Fates characters. It's like the people who started making their cosplays for the Horizon Zero Dawn MC right off the bat. They could've waited and had the cosplay guide to work from at the very least.
Idk I don't get why it's so hard for people to wait and play a game/watch a show or movie. Actually knowing your source is usually the easiest part of cosplay.

>> No.8640344

>>8640043
>>8639991
Thisthisthis. I can't stand the me first thing when there are virtually no ref pics available yet. Personally I'd rather be one of the best than one of the first.

>> No.8640608

>>8640043
It's because there are tons of cosplayers out there who only cosplay characters that are popular enough to get enough attention for themselves rather than cosplay a secondary, minor, or common enemy character that won't get as many photos. The problem is these popular and rocognizable characters are cosplayed often, so what better to do than be the first cosplayer from a new, popular series that no one has done because it's not even out. It's instant popularity and bleeding edge points.

If you can't tell, my pet peeve is the utter lack of cosplays of secondary, minor, or common enemies. Especially the last one. Does anybody even cosplay the common soldiers from Fire Emblem? Only ever seen named characters.

>> No.8640730

>>8640043

People who rely solely on Character packs or w/e and won't look/get their own references.

IDK but the whole thing of reference packs bugs me. Feels like games companies are saying
>"Hey this game isn't out yet, but we've designed this character so a lot of cosplayers will make it. I know you don't know what the character is like, and haven't played the game and only saw them for a few seconds in the trailer; but could you do some free advertising for us by cosplaying this? I-I-I mean all the popular games get cosplayers y-you wouldn't want us to look uncool with no 10/10 cosplayers before the game is even realised would you? We just want you to spend time and money on making something to promote us, you'll get paid in 'exposure'"

>> No.8640941

>>8639688
I keep seeing "idk this character's name but I'm going to cosplay them!!!"

>> No.8640955

>>8640608
I'm not going to complain about no NPCs or whatever, but the worst is when a meet has multiple old school cosplay and people cry about every single shot not being muh robin otps. Fates is only making it worse because on top of that they get assblasted every time someone doesn't know their character yet. God forbid anyone wait til they can actually play the video game to know literally every playable character

>> No.8640989
File: 2.33 MB, 1080x1681, Screenshot_2015-09-29-17-24-05-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Photoshop wig and makeup
>Blurry photos
Why..?

>> No.8641028

>insert prefix-pool
>free hugs
>conga lines
>meme spewers

Free hugs got subverted at the last con I was at with Dredd cosplayers holding 'Free Beatings' signs.

>> No.8642183

Con peeve that only seems to happen at some but not all cons..

>attends small local con to accompany young relative wearing cosplay
>just throw together meh kinda slutty normie outfit b/c whatever CON!
>people ask her for pics ofc
>sometimes a pic with her aww cute, I stand to side
>random dudes ask for pics
>'you too!'
>??????

I'M NOT WEARING A COSTUME what do you think I'm cosplaying, they obviously don't give a fuck man its so painfully transparent

>> No.8642211

>>8642183
Maybe they were just being nice and thought you would like a nice picture with your little sister/daughter/niece whatever. Not everyone is out trying to fuck you.

>> No.8642216

>'Planned cosplays' fb albums with at least 100 pictures in them, none ever get made
>Selling shittily made costumes for hundreds of dollars
>Asking questions that could be easily answered by google on multiple groups

Just fucking.... everything. Cosplay is really pissing me off at the moment because it seems like the majority of people are just doing it for recognition. Stop being so thirsty for likes and focus on making GOOD costumes.

>> No.8642395

>>8640608
maybe it's just me, but i cosplay characters because i like their personality or they're my favorite character from the series. it's kind of hard to get attached enough to nameless footsolider #8 to want to put in the effort of cosplaying him

>> No.8642398

When people don't cosplay the way/for the reasons I want them to!!!!!!!

>> No.8642412

>People who don't know sewing basics or even own a sewing machine trying to make an average costume
>It looking ugly as fuck
>And their friends complimenting them and telling them to continue their good work

>> No.8642677

>>8635367
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks they're cruddy.

I have two (Altair and Jace Beleren) only because my friends got them for me. They have hoards and hoards of these figures and they all look stupid except for the dragons. And they're still collecting them!

I get maybe having one or two of your absolute favorite characters, but cripes they are so overdone and they're not even cute.

>> No.8642687

>>8632444
Holy shit, this. Also people who approach you out of nowhere and hug you without even asking. Happened to me last con around the end, pissed me off so much.

I also hate it when people try to shove muh fandoms and their headcanons down my throat. Bonus points if it's something gross/yaoi related.

>> No.8642703
File: 30 KB, 500x287, bippityboppitybitch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8642412
>people learning to make costumes and their friends encourage them
What a shitty thing to be salty about. You could be mad about people lying about buying commissioned costumes or people who make slutty closet versions of characters, but instead you get mad at people for trying to make their own costumes.

>> No.8642712

>>8642395
Yeah, the only characters like that I've done is Pokemon villain team grunts, but that's simply because they are still really recognizable and have fun designs.
Call me an attention whore, but I don't like having a total of 3 people recognize me all con.

>> No.8642728

>>8642703
No man, I'm angry because positive reinforcement means they'll keep doing the same shit as always and not get better. Nobody tells them "yo, you should do a hem" or "girl, that fabric is ugly" or even "party city wigs are not good for cosplay". Everyone just cheers them on and it makes me angry.

>> No.8642742

>>8642728
eh, unless they've actually asked for con-crit, i still wouldn't say anything either way.
maybe if we were super close and i knew they'd be cool with it, but i'm not going to hurt my friends' feelings over a costume.
and i mean, baby steps are important. getting someone to the make your cosplay step instead of closet or commissioning is already a step in the right direction.

>> No.8642749

>>8642742
I don't say anything, I get angry in silence.

But I can rant here.

>> No.8642782

>>8633834
Let's be honest, that game was all hype and it didn't really surprise me that people were doing the costume that soon after reveal because of that popularity. Plus talk about an easy costume if you can identify the military stuff, for me it took as long as the stuff I ordered to arrive and I made the bikini set in like 2 days. It only took that long because I kept adjusting it to get the same look and fit from the references. You can always count on the I-did-it-first fever with something that easy and well-known.

>> No.8642803

>>8640730
Reference are for art teams, made before the thing is even started, and are a collectors item prized by collectors Otaku, etc.

Cosplayers using it is an incidental benefit.

>> No.8642819

>>8634605
Out of curiosity how do you know the smell you smell is of smegma? I have no idea what that smells like.

>> No.8642834

>>8633202
You know the word play is part of the word cosplay, if needed you should be able to play the person you are cosplaying. Can't do this if you don't know anything about the character.

>> No.8642857

>>8642742
To me the problem with this is sometimes they just don't take that next step.

>> No.8642859
File: 123 KB, 478x578, Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 5.10.22 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've lost faith in the education system.

>> No.8642878

>>8642703
>>8642728
This is better suited for the rant thread imo, but there's someone in my friend group like this. They put zero effort in but everyone always tells them how great they are and how gorgeous their costumes are. As a result, they don't sew and won't look up any tips or tutorials on how to better craft armor/accessories/props or style wigs. The only reason any of this irks me is because they expect to be treated the same way as the people putting in the work and will bitch and moan endlessly if they're not invited to be in cosplay groups that focus heavily on sewing or making your own shit.

>> No.8642888

>>8642859
Speaking of that, I had a friend bitch at me when I made her pay the same amount for the hotel room as everyone else when she was only staying Saturday. I told her from the start that's how it would be since it's simple to calculate and fairest to everyone, but no, she wanted to be specially treated.
It just complicates things so much when one person wants to pay less because they didn't get to sleep on the bed and another because she only stayed one night and another because she didn't get any free hotel soap or the shitty in-room coffee packs (yes really). I get the logic, but nah, everyone pays evenly with me.

>> No.8643353

>>8642859
>I need something like a calculator
>but not a calculator

>> No.8643357

>>8642819
Have you ever cleaned your junk?

>> No.8643364

>>8643353
It's bewildering how most people legitimately don't know how to use basic algebra. When I talk about finding the best deal shopping for food by calculating price per ounce people usually don't believe what I'm saying and think the item with the cheapest price sticker is the better deal. Yeah it's 10% cheaper than the other one but it's half the size...

>> No.8643372

>>8643364
The price labels have the price per ounce or whatever unit on them in smaller print (in America at least) and people still don't use them. It's so stupid.

>> No.8643379

>>8643364
Seriously. Someone in the comments even spelled it out for them.

They're probably one of those people that barely passed algebra on the notion that they'll "never need it again"

>> No.8643381

>>8643364

Because our government doesn't give a shit about teachers so they don't get paid enough, so the teachers stop caring and take the easy route of teaching kids to memorize for a test instead of actually learning something.

>> No.8643389

>>8643381
My high school apparently had low passing rates, but to keep funding, they curved the fuck out of everyone's grades. That's the only way I survived physics, but I don't doubt that there were students whose entire year depended on this.
It was really sad.

>> No.8643397

>>8642712
If you ask me, generic footoldier #8 would be pretty good for someone starting.
>Doesn't gather much attention so one can still enjoy the con pretty normally.
>Usually simple designs, as they don't get much focus anyway.
>Don't have to worry about body types and hairstyles since they are not one specific character.
I don't cosplay but if I wanted to start out, I'd definetely start there.
Just a matter of opinions I suppose.

>> No.8643401

>>8643379

I hate this fucking 'I never need algebra again' and 'why the fuck do we need to know about this' attitude that seems especially prevalent among tumblr shits who want the whole world handed to them on a plate. Every time I see a 'lol school only teaches you mitochondria is the powerhouse hurr durr' I want to strangle a kitten.

And I don't doubt that education systems are fucked everywhere. I'm the product of a fucked up school system that taught math like shit. But don't spit on an entire subject because you had a bad time in it. Math is useful. I still use math and I'm in a field that never uses it. Hell, my boyfriend did an arts degree, and he uses logarithms in his workplace. It's useful shit. And while you may never actually learn biology again, I think it's useful just to know why the world is, why animals are like that. And it's just good to learn a systematic way of breaking things down, even if you never crack a book in real life.

I think I was especially privileged with a good school system and a family who encouraged me to learn, but god, the people who spit on being taught anything just infuriarates me. While I know it needs improvement, it is so much better than having none at all.

>> No.8643411

>>8643401
the school tumblr talks about, high school is for social shit and learning to shut the fuck up and take it from authority. they only teach things that most of the populace can learn since everyone has to go there.

it's their problem they major in gender neutrality and then have no jobs.

>> No.8643412

>>8643401

Holy shit well this is ironic.

>infuriates

>> No.8643454

>>8643397
i guess if you don't cosplay, it's hard to explain, but when i cosplay im hoping to meet some other fans of the franchise, and i have to say even as a fan of the franchise, i dont think i would spot a generic fire emblem soldier out from a crowd. unless it was something recognizable and loved (stormtroopers and the pokemon grunts come to mind) its easy to pass over simple soldier costumes. and like the last anon said, most people like being recognized immediately as "___ from ____!"

>> No.8643460

>>8643401
I especially hate cosplayers who say "I never use algebra". I hope they just don't realize they're using it. I hope they're measuring things and calculating proportions. Please.

>> No.8643481

>>8643401
Stop shitting on tumblr for everything
"WHY DO I NEED THIS" has been around way longer than Tumblr been runing

>> No.8643483

>>8643481
bawwwwww

>> No.8643520

>>8643401
>>8643460

A good understanding of mathematics, intuitively or analytically, turns you into a fucking wizard regardless of any field human knowledge, ever. I use a fuckload of geometry in designing my cosplay; I can't even imagine how the fuck I would design this thing if I didn't know math. It would take like 5 times longer with many screw ups.

You know how in vidya games where you cannot interact with the books on bookshelves or the door over there because they're just static textures and models? That's how non-math people go through their lives. I pity those people; they are pretty much incapable of interacting with their world outside of how others tell them to.

>> No.8643534
File: 62 KB, 621x386, 1433626373969.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8643520
>tfw incorporating the Golden Ratio into your costume elements

>> No.8643911

>>8642859
>'i don't trust calculations'
what WHAT if you don't trust it repeat it a couple of times and if the answer is the same each time then it's probably right?? I'm bad at maths but seriously, what the fuck.

>> No.8643923

>>8631217
No matter what your training and practice will give your first outfit will always be bad.

There's just some things you'll learn more in time

>> No.8643926

>>8642834
That's a lie and you know it.

What matters the most in cosplay presentation is the photo as it does not capture how well you can emulate and quote the character. Nor will picture pick up your unique character voice.

All you need to do is copy the signature poses of the character and BAM you're in the clear.

I don't play Phoenix Wright but I know he points a lot. If I cosplayed as Phoenix and pointed, assuming our costumes were of the same quality, you would have no way of guessing that I didn't play the game if you stood me with 5 other cosplayers who did

>> No.8644110

>>8643923
>No matter what your training and practice will give your first outfit will always be bad.

>There's just some things you'll learn more in time

This isn't how I approach things. My first costume is not going to be bad, because I've dumped all my mistakes and learnings on to test and scrap pieces. If you spend a solid 2 weeks doing nothing but hemming edges, you'll become extremely good at hemming edges. The only reason for a costume to have shit edges is because of impatience or poor planning.

>> No.8644157

>>8643911
I find it funny that it's "calculations" rather than "calculators".
Yeah, it was probably her being retarded and not knowing how to spell but I imagine a scenario like:
>Okay now pick a number from one to 10.000
>"What?"
>It's how much you'll pay
>"I-Isn't it better to calc-"
>You math wizard! I forbid you and your mysterious ways to taint my money!!
>"O-okay"

>> No.8644160

>tfw you're a dude but you need to surreptitiously check your makeup at a con using the mini mirror your mother lent you and are too self-conscious to whip it out without covering it slightly

>> No.8644247

>>8643483
But it has?????

>> No.8644256

>>8644247
>?????
Well now we know why you're defending it so much.

>> No.8644292

>>8644160
That's pretty cute.

>> No.8644322

>>8644256
Defend my ass anon :^)

>> No.8644329

>>8643483
Honestly I don't even care about tumblr but blaming it for everything from illiteracy to 9/11 is getting old. I've known plenty of people with the "lol school is useless" mindset irl and it's been around for quite a while, certainly way before tumblr was created.

>> No.8644897

>>8644329
Tumblr did do 9/11, though. Het-males can't melt steel memes. The facts are all there. When the planes hit the buildings, they /tumbled/ down. Coincidence? Only 95% certainty on that, do there's a chance.

Come look at my free association graphs with me.

>> No.8644917

>>8644322
Sick burn, good show.

>> No.8645980

>>8631064
i LOVE closet cosplay... if i'm seeing it online. i love it when someone can come up with an outfit ou of their closet that actually looks like the character or something the character would wear. i think it's cute and fun. online. closet cosplays are a cute little thing to put together and post online. why would you wear a closet cosplay out of your house unless you're purposefully trying to have a shitty looking cosplay.

>> No.8645982

>>8631064
people who think nigri is an amazing cosplayer

>> No.8645990
File: 187 KB, 736x1099, 0ce3ede54028078e70cbf2b1c17ca9bb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8632414
idk, sometimes i think the hipster idea is funny if its done well with a character i can already see acting like a hipster. and steampunk designs can be really amazing if they're done well too, but some people go so crazy with it that you can't even figure out who they've steampunk'd.
one of my peeves along these lines are lolita-fied cosplays.
that being said, here's punk pan.

>> No.8646005

>>8635367
i think they're cute but i will never spend full price on them. i've had to get rid of them during moves but i used to have three i bought on sale. if it's not at least half off, i won't even consider buying it regardless of how faggy i am for the series.

>> No.8646007

>>8639857
your forgot the giant fake freckles

>> No.8646013

>>8645990
Oh, yeah, no, for a Disneybound then that's fine, nothing wrong with it, and I've done casual cosplays like that too, but it's when they do the laziest "hipster" costume they can, then bitch and moan all over the place when no-one wants their photo, when they're just wearing a purple top, jeans, 3D glasses and maybe red-tinged badly-dyed hair. It's not the actual costume, it's the attitude that's annoying.

>> No.8646022

>>8644110
tbh a lot of times when i see people pointing out shitty cosplays and laughing, they were done by kids and teenagers. that's one of my peeves. holding young cosplayers up to the same standards as adult cosplayers. that's just ridiculous and if you're 23 and want to post a 15 year old's shitty lolita coord online so you can talk about how ugly it is, you're incredibly pathetic.
if you're an adult, there's not a whole lot of excuses for not taking the time to practice everything before your first cosplay. you've got a job and time off and money, or you should. there's not much excuse for not taking the time to learn. kids don't have that. they go to school for 8 hours a day and then come home and do more schoolwork, and teenagers need more sleep than any age group outside of infants. they don't generally have jobs and if they do they're working maybe 10 hours a week.

>> No.8646025

>>8644897
i use tumblr regularly and i fucking kek'd, thank you.

>> No.8646027

>>8646013
can i just say how much i love disneybound shit since you mentioned it
i lost my mind when i first found out about it

>> No.8647128

>>8642211
Op here, In hindsight I realized this is really no shit since they probably assumed I was in a really half-assed or casual cosplay they weren't familiar with (the con was full of those)

Or what you said

I'm damn sure I came to this conclusion years ago and I was just in uselessly-bitchy mode and conveniently forgot ugh sometimes you just need to side-eye yourself

>> No.8647222

>>8646022
>thinking adults have more free time than kids in school
LMAFO

>> No.8647237

People who can't prioritize or plan shit and expect praise for sub-par results

>Look at these 100% accurate lenses I bought for an upcoming cosplay!
>No I don't have the wig yet
>But I've got all this other stuff
>Like these jeans I'm sure the character would wear
>Even though they never wear jeans
>Yes, I know the con is in 2 weeks, I ordered what I'm sure will be the best possible fabric
>It should only take a week and a half to get here!
>In the meantime, I did a makeup test for 300 different cosplays I have planned, none of which are the one I'm supposed to be making
>Either way, my pink/orange gradient eyeshadow will be fine for a boy
>So will all these sets of eyelashes
>Yeah, I'll get to work on those props whenever, I've bought all the right spray paint and some weathering paint
>Oh, I'll buy the foam next week

Post-Con they're all

>But my costume is made from the finest handwoven wool/silk hybrid from the outer reaches of mongolia and cost me all my money so I'm in debt forever, [insert other cosplayers name] only made hers out of cotton WHY DOES NO ONE REBLOG MY PICTURES
>HER COSPLAY IS INACCURATE SHE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE LENSES IN

>You're costume is cut wonky and hot glued together because you made it on your friends hotel room floor
>Your wig is from Party City because you forgot to order one in time
>No props
>But your eyes are canonically accurate so it's fine, right?

Anyone who does this needs to fucking stop. I refuse to give praise to people who don't fucking try

>> No.8647270

>>8647222
True, but adults do have more resources though. A lot of kid/teen cosplays have to be slapped together from shit bought from goodwill and wal-mart.

>> No.8647273

I have a friend that's good at sewing, but shit at making props. I don't how many times she's made her cosplay look bad by toting along a rubbish prop when everything else looked great.
And you don't even strictly need a prop for the stuff she does, which what kills me.

>> No.8647303

People who claim they *are* the character

I can understand empathizing with a character, or having similar mannerisms, but that doesn't make you the actual character

Nor does it give you the right to insult other cosplayers, start random fights, or flat out demand that no-one else cosplay that character

>And if I see one more person on tumblr calling out triggers because they're headmates with a character and you're upsetting their fragile mentality by showing interest in the same series, I will lose my shit in fine style

>> No.8647319

>>8647303
Jesus, this. I refuse to follow anyone on Instagram that has anything like 'irl shinji' or any of that shit in their description. You cosplayed a character, you aren't actually them.

>> No.8647324

>>8633202
I don't mind when it is something that isn't big. Like you don't get many NIER cosplays so more is always nice. But if you are just some bandwagoning faggot then it pisses me off as they are just doing it for attention

Also if it is just a show sit down and watch it, you can watch a season of anything in a weekend

>> No.8647331

>>8632353
I'm so salty about all the Fates first thirst. Can they not wait? Jesus fuck.

>> No.8647536

>>8631180
How do I avoid looking like this? I'm unable to fully close my mouth.

>> No.8647542

>>8647222
I genuinely have more free time now. To be fair I am a retail worker with weird shift times, but when I come home from work, I can do whatever. I don't have to do anything I don't want to do, so I can dedicate my evenings to cosplay. I know not everyone has jobs that lets them do that, but to be honest only my accountant stepdad and salesperson dad, who spends half the week working from home and watching tv anyway, have to do work when they get home at the end of the day.

>> No.8647558

>>8631193
>cookie cuttery
This
>wow Jessica is so talented she makes these so fast
You would be able to make worbla armor pretty fast too if you just used the same pattern with a different paint job and shit put on top of it.

>> No.8647560
File: 987 KB, 2048x2048, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8647558
Forgot pic

>> No.8647581

>>8631180
I have a problem with this mostly because if I smile everything flattering about my face dies. I'm not really sure what my alternatives are.

>inb4 stop being ugly

>> No.8647599

>>8647560
all of her cosplays really do look the same
like you already know they look similar but then you see then all side by side and it hits you how they are carbon copies of each other

>> No.8647666

>>8647222
It depends on your job. I'm taking a year off from college and currently work full time at Starbucks. I have so much more free time than I did when I was a teenager. When I come home from work I don't have to worry about studying or homework until 10 o'clock at night, I come home in the early afternoon and just kick back and shitpost on 4chan, play video games, and work on cosplays.

Not to mention, adults actually have money and can spend it on whatever they want. When I was a teenager my mom only gave me $20 a week for allowance, which was also all I had to spend on lunch for the week, and I only managed to save at most $2 at a time, sometimes nothing. I also had to beg my mom to buy me things online because no credit card, which meant no crossplay because she thought crossdressing was for freaks. Being a cosplaying teenager fucking sucked.

>> No.8647697

>>8647560
She's like a sluttier and bustier version of Kamui. I unfollowed both of them after a while because I was sick of the same shit over and over. I need some variety.

>> No.8647710

>>8647560
that saiyan armor makes me rage the most
fucking hell

>> No.8647818

>>8647542
I also work a heavy labor job and I'm exhausted by the time I get home but I don't honestly understand how paying bills on time, going shopping and preparing food, cleaning house, running errands to keep yourself afloat, and having a full time job means you have a lot of free time. I had much more time when I was in school, but again. No money to reach for the stars so it's a trade off I guess.

>> No.8649447

>>8631193
>tutorial on how to make a sword
>is just make a balsa sword and smother it in worbla.
Am I the only one who thinks this looks like crap?
I loved her work but now its just cover X in worbla and tada insta money wasted cosplay.
I'm sure there cheaper and better looking ways to make a nice sword.

>> No.8649561

>>8649447
>is just make a balsa sword and smother it in worbla.

Please tell me this isn't a real thing. Balsa is the worst material you could use for a sword's blade because it breaks the second you lay a hand on it. And covered in worbla? Only makes it worse.

And seconding this anon here >>8631193 . Cosplayers not experienced with prop making are so deep in the worbla craze that they think it's a magical essence that you can use to cover anything you please and it'll look good. Unless worbla is smothered in excessive layers of primer and sanded very carefully, it'll look like shit, especially up close. It's harder to use than you'd think and only works for the 2D flat armors Kamui makes. It's getting really tiresome to see every cosplay WIP I come across to be 100% worbla and Kamui's basic breastplate pattern.

>> No.8649628

>>8649561
I think it gets suggested because of the fact it's easily available, light and easy to carve without considering that's crazy fragile as a result.

>> No.8649642

>>8647536
It's the full combination that makes it cringe. You can still move your mouth, move your eyes, change the angle of your head/body, etc. and look good.

>> No.8649703

>>8649447
I know someone that did this. Why couldn't people just use sintra? Fuck balsa

>> No.8650634

>>8642677
No, you're not alone. /toy/ hates them too. And Funko is a pretty shitty company in general.

>> No.8654994
File: 59 KB, 960x632, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>when a bunch of people cosplay as the default design of a character when the character has a bunch of outfits
>be creative gdi
>looking at you Vocaloid fandom

>> No.8655011

>>8654994
Card captor sakura too. pisses me off

>> No.8655676

I get really annoyed by the sheer amount of creepy girls at cons who somehow get away with being gross as fuck, because "teehee, I'm a girl so its cute when I do it!" No, its still annoying and creepy. Having a vag doesn't change you shitty personality. Also the ones who are really pushy about trying to get into your pants, even when you blatantly state that you're not interested in women.

>> No.8655768

>>8654994
The most pathetic post in this thread.

>> No.8655781

>>8635367
I work at a pretty large Gamestop in Canada and we sell a stupid, stupid amount of these. I collect JP figures so it pains me to hear a bunch of normies tell me how excellent the quality for the overpriced lumps of plastic are. Bitch, Nendoroids look better than those, stfu

>> No.8655789

>landwhales cosplaying
>manlets cosplaying a tall character and vice versa
>niggers cosplaying white and vice versa
>anyone below 18 year old
>weebshits
>retarded cosplays like L from death note
>flavor of the month cosplay
>people cosplaying stuff where the movie/anime whatever hasn't even come out yet
>normies
>whores that are attention whores

>> No.8656123
File: 67 KB, 500x491, 1423890820419.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8655789

>> No.8656134

>cosplayer is horrible to you
>call them out
>"but Anon they're MY FRIEND and they're nice to me!"

I get sick of this shit. Calling someone a friend doesn't behave their shitty behaviour. I see it way more in cosplayers hence sticking it here.

>whiteknighting just makes it worse
Just let them defend themselves

>> No.8656135

>>8656134
Excuse not behave.

>> No.8656148

>>8654994
honestly, I've seen a couple of cosplay competitions that forbid anything but the original outfit. it's shitty as hell imo but I think it was for eurocosplay tickets or something so I guess..

>> No.8656152

>>8643520
This. I (foolishly) tried to make my own pattern as a relatively novice sewer a few weeks ago. I got my ass handed to me by one frustrating geometry puzzle.

>>8645980
To be honest, I don't mind it that much if they're just doing it for fun. Like people in Captain America shirts who dress in a theme, and shit like that. Some people don't wanna go all out in a giant costume for a convention, but still want to dress up in spirit. It's just when they start declaring themselves an actual cosplayer, and demand praise that it gets obnoxious. Do it for your own enjoyment, and don't expect any attention.

My own personal pet peeve is people who demand that you act in character. Even more when they demand that you act like the obnoxious "fandom" stereotypes of that character. I've pretty much retired my Yugioh cosplaying because I'm sick of the Abridged kids expecting a cheap accent and really bad yaoi jokes.

>> No.8656155

>>8647331

But then someone else will be first

>> No.8656189

Marriott host hotel rooms for dragoncon went up yesterday at 9am, the complaints are driving me nuts

> I guess my luck had to run out sometime
Refering to the fact that rooms opened on the 7th and not the 8th despite the fact that there were several posts about it, it being changed on the website and the official dragoncon fb. You're luck didn't run out, you're just an idiot

> people complaining that it was the 7th and not the 8th in general
I'm sorry you're not competent

> one guy continously posting/complainIng about it being $4000 to stay the weekend and it was so expensive
It was a suite that was left over, and he kept saying all rooms cost that much b/c a suite is totally the same price as a standard hotel room.

These are some of the most competitive rooms to get, I fully went in expecting not to get a room. And I understand it suck that you didn't get one, but people complaining because they didn't do their research is frustrating. It happens every year, you'd think people would learn by now

>> No.8656303

This is more of a persona, and social thing.

>meet new friends
>seem like the coolest people ever
>1-3 months later
>hate each other
It's so unfortunate, but can't be friends with everyone. Granted I try to keep contact with a minimum of 10-15 people, but the sheer number of drops still stings.

>> No.8656314

>>8633834
Guilty. But like, I'm glad I did. I plan on re-doing it again with the proper gun, bikini, knife and getting smaller flash grenades so they fit on my belt. The replicas I bought wouldn't stay on.

>>8633202
I honestly don't mind this either. I want to do a Danganronpa cosplay despite knowing little about the series but I like the design as well as wanting to give the character a try.

>> No.8656388
File: 546 KB, 1000x667, Aiakos1435017690.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8655781
Nendos look AMAZING compared to those monstrosities. I would even get a figma before a Funko Pop.