[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 41 KB, 357x356, 1434820944078.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8616249 No.8616249 [Reply] [Original]

I didn't want to make a thread solely to ask one stupid question, so here's a thread for everyone to ask several stupid questions. Anyway, is Tokyo Otaku Mode legit? Babby wants to order some Liz Lisa shit, but are they actually a reputable seller?
>pic incredibly unrelated

>> No.8616253

They are, hence their headquarters is in Japan, it is just that they are overpriced.

>> No.8616255

Yes, I bought some clothing from them and received the package about 2 weeks ago.

>> No.8616883

>>8616253
This.

The exchange rate is complete ass for aussies though.

Everything is legit though, things sell out pretty fast.

>> No.8616913

>>8616253
>>8616255
>>8616883
Thanks guys!

>> No.8616927

Yup, I just bought a jumbo coroham coron plushie while they were 50% off. $21 total for a large Amuse plush-- I'm pretty happy, considering they already shipped it!

>> No.8616935

>>8616249
They fucked up one of my Liz Lisa orders though. They labeled a pink product as white and white as pink, and they shipped the incorrect one to me.

They wouldn't exchange or refund it too.

>> No.8617444

>>8616249
Why don't you just order LL with Tenso?

>> No.8617466

>>8617444
p-please teach me your ways senpai

>> No.8617600

>>8616249
Pro tip from someone who got an order down to half price with free shipping, there are lots of ways to discount stuff.

Search for coupons since they always have a few going, plus they sometimes have offers for free onsite currency if you invite friends (or just make extra email accounts bc free money)

Also post is awesomely fast for me, and I'm stuck in the land down under.

>> No.8617621

Miho Matsuda prices are correct? I mean, there are skirts for 6,500 yen, that can't be right. How much is it in dolars?

>> No.8617640

>>8617466
Idk maybe you could try this guide in English on their site??
http://www.tokyokawaiilife.jp/tensocom/index_en

>> No.8620333

Not OP but I want to ask also, is my-lolita-dress legit ? has anyone bought there yet ? how are they ? I'd really appreciate any comments

>> No.8620354
File: 57 KB, 398x525, gettin real tired of your shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8620333

>> No.8620355

>>8620333
Yes, they are just a Taobao reseller. I bought a petticoat from there and everything was fine.

>> No.8620360

>>8620355
thanks

>> No.8620365

>>8620333
nope, they are basically a step up from milanoo. ignore >>8620355, they are probably trolling
yes they do resell some legit taobao brands but you'd be best off ordering them directly. im gonna assume you're a new lolita. try infanta. they have an aliexpress storefront and ship really fast to the us. i highly recommend their "chiffon summer blouse"
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/823096

>> No.8620371
File: 452 KB, 380x530, blouse.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8620365
oops, that's not what the blouse is called
oh well here's a link
good starter blouse for more sweet styles due to the large collar
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Infanta-summer-cool-lolita-cute-short-sleeve-shirt-chiffon-shirt/823096_32339728495.html

>> No.8620374

>>8620365
>>8620371
Thank you so much anon for being this kind

>> No.8620397

coord help thread is autosaging and I think my question is too dumb for starting a new one. I'm wearing an solid black jsk with an ivory blouse for babby's first coord at first meet in two days. Is it okay to wear black tights since my ivory ones have a snag in them? Or should I try and fine emergency plan b?

>> No.8620457

How much wardrobe should you have before attending your first meet?

>> No.8620839
File: 102 KB, 427x640, JVQELTil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8620397
Ivory tights would look more balanced. With some solid ivory tights and black RHS or Mary Janes, you'd have a cute old-schoolish look (I know the tights and blouse in pic attached are white but you get the idea)

>> No.8620859

>>8620374
This person >>8620355 is correct: they are a Taobao reseller just like Clobbao. They do stock replicas (but it is listed in the title so you aren't fooled into buying one like Milanoo). Their Taobao brands are legit.

You can find the dresses on Taobao direct and save some money that way. Depending on your exchange rate and shopping service fees you may find it easier to just order from MLD or Clobaao because sometimes the difference is minimal.

I personally find the dresses on Aliexpress that >>8620365 recommends to be overpriced compared to what they are sold for on Taobao, MLD and Clobbao. The Aliexpress site does offer free shipping which needs to be considered though.
(Rabbit Poker JSK on Infanta Aliexpress $143.99, Clobbao $101.95, MLD $96.99).
(Snow White JSK on Infanta Aliexpress $138.00, Clobbao $116.95, MLD $122.95)

Shop around, find a dress you like from a reputable brand and compare the prices (don't forget to factor in the shipping) and pick which is best to buy from. MLD is not a scam and they are not Milanoo.

>> No.8621055

>>8620457
>>8620457
Enough that you don't have to repeat too much for your next few meets, unless you're planning to get more immediately after. Like, you can probably get away with repeating a simple blouse (though you can get nice blouses cheap) or tights or something like that, but have a couple of your main pieces so you don't have to do that. Its like, think of your wardrobe as being in categories.
>main items
These would be like, dresses, anything printed or with lots of details, fancier blouses, just anything thats more detailed and memorable
>supplementary items
These are like your more basic plain blouses, tights, maybe plainer more oldschool skirts and jsks, that kind of thing. They're easily swapped out in an outfit for something else.
>auxiliary items
Accessories. These don't matter so much if they only match one thing because its easier to build up a large amount of them, but they really finish off an outfit and make it special.

If you want to make your wardrobe grow fast and seem bigger than it is, stick to a color scheme of maybe 3-4 colors, any two of which will match. Get your supplementary items in all of these colors, so you can easily swap any of them out to make a new outfit. You can break out of this with your accessories and pick ones that match other parts of the outfits (like picking up a smaller hint of color in a print), since you can more easily have a collection of say, hairbows, as opposed to blouses. You can of course have dresses that break the color rule. It just makes it easier when you're starting out and want to have something 'new' for each meet.

As an aside I do this for my normalfag wardrobe too. I used to have a ton of clothes but just bought what looked nice, regardless of if I had something to wear with it. I still have oddball items but most of it is black, lavender, mint, and sage green and it feels like a lot more options to wear that way.

>> No.8621435

I'm currently looking through the archives but if someone remembers, it would be a big help:

I'm looking for a post where an Anon talked about creating nice layouts/themes for people on squarespace, tumblr, wordpress, bigcartel, storenvy, ect. It was a lot of good information.

>> No.8621603

If you had a cosplay that fit the bill of looking roughed up. (Like mad max, fallout or walking dead shit) Would you go as far as to rough it up with tears and rips to make it look more authentic or would dirtying be enough for you guys?

>> No.8621635

>>8620457
I honestly think 1 outfit is enough. Taking into consideration my potential future wardrobe, I bought a single outfit from Bodyline and Taobao and went to my first meet up to feel out the fashion and my local comm.
I wasn't totally committed to lolita at the time (I am very shy/anxious, so I was worried it would be too much for me), so doing this allowed me to sort of cement my interest in the fashion. After that, I bought another dress and a few accessories that worked with the other pieces I'd already bought.
My comm doesn't have meets super often (about once a month), and as a busy student, I am not always able to go to them. As such, I had acquired two pieces to create two-three new outfits by the time I went to my second meet up.
Honestly, though, as long as you're not a total ita, just go once you have your first outfit, and work on a theme for a capsule wardrobe so that you can maximize your outfits for the money. I think it gets easier to build your wardrobe/plan for things once you've made at least a few acquaintances.

>> No.8622255

I'm working on a Free! cosplay, and I bought jammers to applique the designs onto, but I can't figure out a way to use a sewing machine to do it without the needle going through both sides, is cutting them apart and resewing them together after the applique my only option?

>> No.8622916

>>8621603
Personally I love distressing costumes so I'd go full out as long as its accurate. Also, for proper worn/ragged looks I suggest:
>using the dull edge of a box cutter to make tears in denim/canvas fabrics, gives a rougher edge
>sandpaper around cuffs, knees/elbows, and other areas of wear like pocket flaps and any parts you cut to make tears
>after making cuts and tears but before applying paint, wash it a few times to soften it up and loosen fibers. you can also give it a rough handwash with an old fashioned washboard (or something similar) or a stiff scrubbrush (like the kind you'd use to clean a bathroom, theyre like $1 so get one just for cosplay)
>coffee grounds or the contents of a tea bag, steeped in a little hot water and then applied to wet fabric, make good dirt stain. very good to apply on cuts and edges to make them stand out. can also spread over flat area and let it sit a few hours or overnight to make speckled dirt or mud stain. same techniques work for powdered dye like Rit
>some stains like paint can be heatset to make them more durable. there's better info out there than what i can give you i think, but make use of that
>if it needs good deep wrinkles, steam set it. Using either a steamer or hotboxing with your shower, get it thoroughly steamed and hot and put it on, then do whatever while it dries and cools. stretch, sit, do stairmaster, idk just wrinkle the shit out of it

>> No.8622926

>>8622255
You could do it by hand instead? Backstitch and zigzag stitches can be done by hand and stretch well. By machine, I think you'd need a specialized feed plate so you might be out of luck there.

>> No.8623006
File: 98 KB, 695x536, dfgsfs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8622926
>>8622926
I see. Could I do the zigzag stitch like the machines do it where it looks like vvvvv? All the tutorials for hand sewing a zigzag stitch that I could find have it like NNNN or a weird |X|X|X|X|.

>> No.8627565

Is buying milanoo ever OK? I can't tell if they stole pics or made a replica of something I want

>> No.8627577

>>8616249
Mr. Yan so surprised!

>> No.8627618

>>8627565
I have heard tales of dresses coming from them and being "ok" but I personally wouldn't risk it.

>> No.8627808

Is there any reason a Japanese store would refuse to ship to a Tenso address? I'm looking to buy from Candy Sugar, if anyone has personal experience.

>> No.8632221

>>8627565
1. Google exists.
2. The decent stuff is usually Taobao, resold through Milanoo. Don't risk it unless it's a joke outfit for a very tacky halloween party.

>> No.8632588
File: 217 KB, 360x420, little squirrelmeta.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's a really stupid question. What are the chances of Meta re-opening pre-orders on this dress? I was away for the release and desperately need this color. I've never ordered from them and this is the first dress I actually want.

Also, how is it possible to find out Meta's max measurements. Their site and lolibrary only gives the minimum. Thank you for enlightening the stupid.

>> No.8632947
File: 156 KB, 1364x615, monolith_2001_space_odyssey_apes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is more of a help thread question but there's no help thread. I'm making a cosplay of the Monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I'm thinking of making it, say, 6.6ft tall, 2ft wide, and 1 - 2ft deep. The only problem is actually getting it to the con, as well as maneuvering stairs and elevators. So it needs to be portable somehow.

Was almost thinking of taking 2 3.3ft wooden boards, attaching them via a hinge that folds 180 degrees, and attaching that to like a moveable frame so it'd fold up from 3.3ft to 6.6ft in a pinch. Would that be feasible, or maybe another design would work better? Any input would be appreciated

>> No.8632990

>>8632947
>giant wooden cosplay
Well enjoy injuring yourself and other congoers, you idiot.

A better idea would be to use the stiffest interfacing you can find and make it out of black satin.

>> No.8633010

>>8632990
What do you mean by the injuries? We'll have some cloth seeing holes built completely around it, to avoid bumping into others. I suppose if we did actually make contact it could be bad.

I'll look into the satin, possibly some lighter-duty materials to use though

>> No.8633938
File: 103 KB, 620x930, dream-of-lolita-sweet-light-yellow-lolita-corset-dl-259_8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Which brand is this replicating from originally?

>> No.8633941

>>8633938
(the corset, that is)

>> No.8634012

Hey guys, I'm a fat dude. Not so fat like the ridiculous pics you see on the internet.. but I definitely am not slim or ripped. Should I just not cosplay. Every time I see any threads (even outside of /cgl/) about best cosplay guys, it is usually just dudes that have good physiques

>> No.8634024

>>8634012
Get cosplays that look good on you. Try checking out/posting in the recommendations thread.

>> No.8634050

Today I walked past a store in Helsinki with some jfashion in the shop window, there were some arpakassos too. It's on Mannerheimintie.
I can't remember what it was called, does someone else know? It had some Ks and Os in it but it's not KOKOkim. There was an otome-looking dress on display.

>> No.8634552

>>8620859
thanks

>> No.8636527

So I went on Krad Lanrete taobao store and like everything costs like a million dollars. Is it just not available right now? Is the translator broken? I'm confused.

>> No.8636650
File: 24 KB, 600x600, $_57.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is more of a "are you dumb OF COURSE NOT" type of question but Imma ask anyway

Do button makers that are under $50 exist? I keep seeing the same big bulky button maker for $100-130 everywhere.

The reason I ask is because I just want to button make for a hobby, and I don't plan on making profit so, i just feel like $130 is a bit steep for something I might not use after I make the 20 buttons I want. (I think these are intended for 1000 buttons)

>> No.8640365

>>8636650

You might be able to find a used one on eBay.

>> No.8643517

>>8632947
If you want portability, a big cloth box over a frame that breaks down would be a good bet.

>> No.8644276

Is there a method for tying bows on waist-ties and things so they'll lay flat and neat? Got a dress with tick wasitties and the bow looked so neat when it was new but looks like shit every way I tie it.

>> No.8644294

I'm a muscular male, and I want to partake in the lolita fashion

How do I into lolita without giving up the gains/gym
If it helps I've got pretty facial features, and I'm quiet lean

>> No.8644312

>>8636650
one like this? http://www.badgeaminit.com/starterkit.html

>> No.8644933
File: 39 KB, 1024x471, tumblr_nuigapkB541s6441yo1_r1_1280.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When do I start renting a hotel room for Anime Expo?

>> No.8646422

I've been trying to buy some cute larme-kei kinda stuff on Yumetenbo/DreamV, but I can't. For some reason, I can't click the size or color on the English site and it won't let me add it to the cart on the Japanese site. I've tried it in Chrome and Internet Explorer... I also tried clearing my cache/cookies. Nada. Any help, gulls?

Here is the one of the links I'm trying to purchase, please tell me if you have the same problem:
>http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/dreamv/item/519096/

>> No.8647030

>>8620333
they're legit, i've ordered various things from there. overpriced, but legit.
>>8627808
because they're japanese. if something went wrong once, that's enough to ban it forever.
>>8632588
no, buy second hand. as for max measurements, it's pretty subjective, look at how much shirring there is to guess

>> No.8647036

>>8646422
works for me, and I'm on chrome. I messed around with region and being logged in/out, and I haven't come across anything where it doesn't let me select any options. sorry anon, I'm stumped as well.

>> No.8647079

>>8636527
They don't take direct order from their store anymore, you have to contact one of their "group leader" to buy anything. (Needless to say everyone in China is a little unhappy about it)

>> No.8647426

>>8647036

I logged in, and it worked! Duh! Thank you so much, anon. I appreciate your help!

>> No.8649670

Okay i REALLY want Krad Lanrete's Phantom of The Opera short jsk or OP in blue or black.I don't care if the details are gold or silver. It is my dream dress. I don't use those words lightly. I have been stalking Lace Market and other online sales for a while looking for it and every time it comes up its either the long jsk or too small for me. I'm getting desperate here. I recently looked it up and it looks like Clobba Online has the jsk in white for $203. I swear they didn't have any in stock the last time i checked. I also thought that it sold originally for like half that price. Did Krad Lanrete release the dress again or something? Am i just retarded and they have had them in stock this whole time? I don't know how to use taobao but god damn if i can get that dress I'll figure it the fuck out. I'm just so confused right now. I don't know why i want this dress so bad it's not even brand but i just do. Please help gulls.

>> No.8650183

>>8649670
I don't know what your size is but someone is selling a secondhand on on taobao https://2.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2007.1000337.16.4.4s3HY8&id=521526136825 you'll have to contact an agent like taobaotrends. You can always ask the taobao thread for help too.

>> No.8650194

>>8650183
>secondhand on on taobao
I mean secondhand M on taobao

>> No.8650814

>>8650183
oh my god thank you so much anon i'm definitely going to try to figure out shopping services and stuff tonight. I hope i get it.

>> No.8651542

Are 2 pettis too many if they're medium thickness ( not very flimsy but not giant, either)? How do you know when you're over stuffing a skirt? I thought one wasn't big enough but the second makes me look extremely dolly