[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 29 KB, 300x160, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8558254 No.8558254 [Reply] [Original]

To those who wear lolita: has someone ever come up to you while you were wearing lolita and told you that they recognize the fashion? Have you ever met a lolita outside meetups, cons, or J-fashion events while in non-lolita wear? Discuss.

>> No.8558259

I one time had some girl come up to me at the movies and compliment my coord. She thought I was wearing Baby but I was wearing bodyline. It made me feel all good about myself.

>> No.8558264

When I wore lolita the first time I had two people recognize it (both while in a Hot Topic which I found funny).
Another time at the same mall I saw a girl wearing Drained Cherry and I complimented her coord. I was so happy to see someone wear lolita outside of a con/meet.
The one time I wore lolita to school was for halloween (I was a "broken doll" but it was mainly an excuse to wear it to school) and I bumped into someone else wearing lolita, who had the same idea as me!

>> No.8558269

I was in a fabric store looking for cloth and trim to match an OP I was making a hat for. A shop assistant approached me and asked if I needed any help, and I showed her a removable waist tie that I brought with me to ask if she had any ribbon in one of the print colours. She looked at it and asked "Oh, is this for a lolita dress?" Five minutes after leaving the store I also passed someone in CDC waiting for a bus.

>> No.8558275

>>8558254
>about a year ago
>high school graduation
>show up wearing normie clothes
>friend who I haven't seen in over a year (she was doing dual enrollment at a community college bur technically enrolled in my high schoop) comes up to me
>"oh anon when did you start wearing lolita? you look so kawaii!"
>what.jpg

>> No.8558284

There's a few okay documentary that I've been ared in my country so people are suprisingly aware of lolita. Happens from time to time that I would cross a lolita in full clothing or in normie fashion with a few accessories. We usually at least nod at each other.

>> No.8558286

pretty often when I'm wearing it and travel, or when we're in a group, some people recognize it, ask if it is that 'cute japanese fashion'. They might have seen it on tv or something.

>> No.8558288

I confessed some stupid lolita related shit on yikyak and some girl knew what I was talking about and we started talking. I never met her irl but I know she wears it around town because I see people talking about her on yikyak. I don't wear it to school so they can't be talking about me.

>> No.8558324

I had someone come up to me at a bar and ask was I wearing Angelic Pretty. I was. I didn't know how to react.

>> No.8558350

I've had it happen twice. Once my comm and I were at a tea meet in a small town and a guy came up and started flipping out that we were wearing lolita and said his girlfriend loved the fashion. He took some photos and sent them to her. We gave him the group name to relay to his girlfriend in case she wanted to join but she never did.

The other time was this weekend we were at a sushi restaurant and we were approached by a woman and her husband who asked if we were wearing "harajuku or lolita" then complimented us on how good we looked and took some photos for their website.

>> No.8558362

I once wore a lolita skirt with normalfag clothes and a girl came up to me and asked "do you know where your skirt is from?" and I just replied "umm, yes"
Back then I was really insulted because I thought she assumed I had no idea what I was wearing but thinking back, maybe she just wanted to know where it was from.

>> No.8558365

I have some random person recognize the fashion 3 times now. It surprised the hell out of me. What confuses me the most is that I live in the middle of nowhere and there aren't as many younger people in the area anymore, but I think more younger people are getting more into Japan pop culture and that these days there's more weebs even in my conservative small town.

I've always found it embarrassing and uncomfortable instead of a pleasant surprise though. I purposely do not refer to it as "Lolita" to my family and friends and anyone who knows me, the major reason being the obvious LOLITA name thing, and someone always has to come up and literally shout "ARE YOU A LOLITA?" Thanks, person I don't know that just interrupted my conversation with my now confused grandma in the rudest way possible. Nobody who ever recognized what I was wearing was ever polite about it TBH and I figure it really is because the only people in my area with any exposure to such a thing are all weebs.

PSA: If you spot a Lolita and there are other people right there, please don't refer to their clothes as Lolita fashion out loud, especially if they are with a group of people who are not wearing it also. Just tell them you like their fashion or that your a fan of the style instead or something.

>> No.8558379

>>8558362
To be fair, it is a weird way to ask a question, and it made me think along the same context.

I haven't had many people already know about it or seen an elusive local lolita outside of a meetup or con which sucks because I don't live in the middle of no where. I remember an elderly couple stopping me at the mall to tell me that their granddaughter wears it too, and I'm still bummed about never knowing who that girl is (although, I have speculations).

>> No.8558420

>>8558254
Its happened occasionally, the most memorable time was after a meet a couple of us were grabbing food for tea at a sainsburys as we were walking to the checkouts a lad working there turned and said he didn't realise there were lolitas here, turns out he'd gone out with a lolita before moving for uni. Funny thing is we probably know her as most lolitas know each other in england

>> No.8558427

I was going home after a meet a couple of weeks ago, and stopped to wander in a Barnes and Noble, and as I was leaving some girl stopped me and said, "Oh, I love your lolita outfit."

I also go to the only liberal arts university in my state, so I've gotten a few comments when I wear lolita around campus.

>> No.8558517

>>8558362
...by any chance did this happen at a mall while in a food court line because it might have been me. The girl I asked had a skirt with gingerbread houses on it and I don't really follow sweet prints so I was trying to ask which brand it was.

Other than that I've had the experience of having two girls wearing collars and those raccoon tail clips screech at me while in line at a Joanns. The local con had been the weekend before I guess and they were still entirely too hyped. Also once when I was showing my babbyweeb cousin some old GLBs, my aunt saw it and started talking about the "baby doll princess club" she had seen the weekend before and how they must all be sick in the head.
>that was my comm
>i was one of those baby doll princesses

>> No.8558561

>>8558517
Nope! It was in a chinese store

>> No.8558574

I went to a second-hand store a few months ago and this 50 year old woman who worked there came up and started talking to me. After a while she went "what you're wearing, it's called lolita isn't it?" and we talked about it for a few minutes. She seemed really interested and was very nice

>> No.8558583

>be me
>in casual cute but still normie clothes at the mall
>pass by a group of weeaboos
>"omg i love your lolita outfit its so kawaii!"
>mfw i was wearing overalls

>> No.8558584

I saw a few lolitas in a train station while I was traveling in Europe. I complimented them on their coords and mentioned that I also was a Lolita but mostly I think I just came across as awkward.

I've had a few people at college recognize the fashion, but nothing very interesting happened.

>> No.8558601

We were at a meet and some lady came squealing up to us that her friend loved lolita and wore it a lot.
Gave her the comm name for her friend, but I don't know if she ever joined.

>> No.8558634

>>8558259
I just saw a lolita last week. We were both wearing it in the wild. I wanted to compliment her on her coord even though it was bad, but she acted all stuck up and didn't want to acknowledge me while with her normie friends. It was odd.

Otherwise I have encountered many other lolitas randomly while we were wearing the fashion and we were nice to each other and in some cases became friends. I have also had a bunch of normal people recognizing it and it was nice.

>> No.8558640

I was in another city dressed in normie and I saw a girl who may of been wearing more mature and toned down styled classic but I was too autistic to approach her

>> No.8558644

Actually a few people kind of knew by the lingo they used.

I went a museum of Nature and science in lolita and about 5-6 teens said how cute my coord was. I was like "wtf"

>> No.8558649

I've had a lot of people come up and compliment on my "coord", which seems to be this magical word/secret handshake people try to use to show that they know about the fashion.

Recently some random tourists came up and said they saw the clothes on TV and was surprised to see people dressed up in person. They seem excited and friendly though.

>> No.8558749

> Go to university open day
> Already know that I want to do Asian studies as my second major so head over to their area
> There's some girls there dressed traditional and one dressed in some Bodyline lolita
> Try to make smalltalk
> "I like your coord! I was thinking of coming in lolita as well but it seemed too cold for it today"
> "Umm, what's lolita? I'm cosplaying"
> Oh well.

A few months later

> Asian studies day at the university I just got accepted into
> Decided to go even though I only start my studies in a few months
> They create it as a kind of mini open day/convention with stalls and stuff so decided to go in lolita
> Have a few people recognize the style and compliment my coord
> Spend a few hours in introductory lectures and then decide to head home
> Stop by a accessory store in the central bus station of that town while waiting for my bus to arrive
> A Sales girl comes up to me "Where did you get that dress? It's amazing!"
> Turns out she's into K-Pop and Japanese fashion and never knew there was a lolita community in our country
> Have fun chatting with her until my bus arrived and it made my day

I did invite her to the community but she never joined.

>> No.8558757

>To those who wear lolita: has someone ever come up to you while you were wearing lolita and told you that they recognize the fashion?

Yes at a train station, a few people at university (one guy in particular seemed to know a lot about it and said it was great seeing someone wearing lolita) and also at the airport with one of the baggage scanner guys who was really happy to see a lolita and told me all the effort was worth it.

> Have you ever met a lolita outside meetups, cons, or J-fashion events while in non-lolita wear?

Yes at the train station, on the bus, at university, at a shopping centre, at a presentation awards night for my old school,in a food court, at a theme park and have also seen people with brand bags in normal clothes/work uniforms.

>> No.8558761

>To those who wear lolita: has someone ever come up to you while you were wearing lolita and told you that they recognize the fashion?

Yes, once when I was with a few girls from my comm. She came up to us at uni and screamed, "are you guys wearing harajuku clothes?" We're like "yeah" and she proceeded to say "I love your costumes"
She was doing so well up until that point haha

> Have you ever met a lolita outside meetups, cons, or J-fashion events while in non-lolita wear?

Yes, just around the city, but they were always people I didn't know well in the comm and seemed busy, so I never talked to them

>> No.8558828

Very few times, but have had a few people that recognized it come up to me before.
Have never spotted a random lolita just out in public before though.

>> No.8559048
File: 766 KB, 165x115, chang.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8558254
that image size

>> No.8559101

>>8558634
I'm sure what happened was her friends saw you, mentioned how nice you looked, and then she got mad/jealous that the attention wasn't on her anymore.

Anyways, closest thing to having a regular person recognize what I was wearing was when there was a meet at museum, some people asking us if we were harajuku girls and a girl at a pride parade in a corset, tank top, and crappy ebay lace parasol with a shitty handmade cherry print skirt saying "nice coord".

This weekend I was at a fair though in normal clothes but had an AP bag with me and a girl complimented me on my angelic pretty purse. We exchanged some small talk and she asked me if there were any AP stores in the us, so she seemed like she was newb or a lurker, but my friends were walking away so I forgot to ask if she was in the facebook group for my comm.

>> No.8559122

Last year I went to Europe for vacations and in a train station in Paris I saw a girl, she wasn't wearing lolita but some kind of j fashion, I remember that she was wearing black tea parties. I got so excited when I saw her shoes because I was barely getting into the fashion by then and it was the first time I saw someone wearing anything close to lolita.

>> No.8559490

>>8559101
Oh my gosh are you the lolita I met at the art museum in Arkansas?

>> No.8559806

I went to a Kate Miller-Heidke concert, and she must had read Milkyfawns article or something prior to my attendance, because she recognised the style and now everytime I go to her concerts she wants a photo with me because she things Lolita is hella cute. (Also kinda mini fan girl every time because /senpai noticed me/)

Another time I was shopping in forever 21 overseas in an etc skirt and ap bag, and the sales clerk comes up to me and asks if I'm a lolita. Small world.

>> No.8560040
File: 197 KB, 448x480, 1412968046356.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I once had a girl come up to me who first complimented me on my outfit, then told me that it wasn't really lolita because my dress didn't have any lace on the hem and heels aren't loli ("just so you know!"). She was wearing a miniskirt covered in cheap scratchy lace, combat boots, striped stockings and a t-shirt with some kind of Hot Topic-y mascot on it. I just thanked her and walked away.

>> No.8560044

I had a girl come up to me and my friends and ask timidly if this was a fashion from Japan. We said yes and her face lit up and she said "Oh, I know this! It's called lolita, right?" It was pretty cute, she went back to her friends and seemed really excited. I've also had a few of my normalfag friends know what lolita is without me having to explain.

I've also seen a lolita in local a department store wearing Baby and carrying a MILK bag, and another girl at a conference wearing an AP dress casually (no petti, simple headwear), but I'm assuming that was because the conference halls were really packed and she didn't want to stick out too much. She ended up standing in line behind me in Starbucks outside the convention center, but I was in normie clothes and too shy to say something.

>> No.8560053

Back when I was still a teenie newb who desperately wanted to get into lolita, my friends and I spotted a few lolitas out and about in the city. I wanted to say something nice but my friend talked over me and said a bunch of really mean shit about how lolitas are circus freaks who are trying to attract pedos and should just keep their ugly costumes to the bedroom. I don't think the girls heard it but I sure did and it set my own real start at wearing the fashion back a few years for sure. I don't talk to her anymore but I do wonder if she ever lurks my FB and what she thinks about the style now.

>> No.8560494

I have had some people come up to me and tell me they like my 'corord' and children tell me I look like a princess. I am usually too caught off guard to respond in an useful manner so I just stutter a thank you and shuffle away.

>> No.8560797

Really want to get into Lolita, and I keep seeing Lolitas at events I attend (Dickens Fair, Pirate Festival, etc.) but I'm too shy to talk to them :(