[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

>> No.8556553

btw zoestanleyarts, you weren't supposed to delete the header and put your info there

>> No.8556877

aaaaaanybody know some places to get stationery printed?

>> No.8556881

I've noticed a trend where people write their information on a paper and ask people to take an image of it rather than handing out business cards. It feels a little cheap to me, but is starting to not seem like such a bad alternative when I have hundreds of cards taken over a con and then get maybe 5 new followers online. The cost to follow-up ratio is pretty shitty. Have you guys seen this, and what do you think?

>>8556877
Vistaprint has some okay stationery if you ever get those $20 for $70 worth of stuff groupons.

>> No.8556906
File: 555 KB, 500x500, egdg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8556881
Maybe just print some tiny business cards yourself. I've started doing this, I print strips about a third of the size of a regular business card and cut em out.

I still make them look nice though. It does the job.

>> No.8556937

>>8556881
i brought roughly 1500 business cards to anime expo this year and was left with one box of 250.
it's starting to feel like a wast of money and luggage space, yeah

>> No.8556999

>>8556881
i would rather spend the money on product so i can offer a wider range of merchandise. business cards can get expensive. i would only get them made if i were going to show in a super professional environment, not an artist alley

>> No.8557034

>>8556881
That is actually a good idea. Print a nice mini poster with your info, encourage people to take a picture of it maybe include a QR code? I think I'll do that and bring a few actual cards.

>>8556906
I do this as well. It's simple af, cheaper too.

>> No.8557080

>>8556881
Yeah, I barely get anyone following up. Thinking it may be better to have a info sheet for people to take a picture of and just give a proper business card for people who actually ask for one or only for people who buy something.

>> No.8557193
File: 30 KB, 400x400, buttons.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8556881
I like business cards personally, even though it's kinda worthless.

Some alternatives though:

-Buy a stamp with your info and stamp the back of your prints.

-Use small sticker labels with your info and stick them to the bags you place customers purchase in.

-with buttons, place a link to whatever place you're most active on (DA, Tumblr, personal website, FB, etc) around the rim of the button. I've had a lot of customers contact me through my FB page this way) pic related

>> No.8557240

>>8557193
I do the stamp thing with my packaging for charms and stuff too. But I package in paper gift bag type things (because themed table design). Anyway, if you carve your own design it is really easy and a lot of fun, plus it looks really neat. You just need a block of rubber (sandwich rubber of you can find it, I've gotten by with a large eraser, but don't use that speedball easy carve shit) and a couple of cheap carving tools.

Optionally, if you print your design on a laser printer somewhere it transfers to the rubber really nicely with a little acetone (I have it on hand but nail polish remover might do in a pinch maybe)

>> No.8557382

>>8556881
>>8557193
i HIGHLY recommend sticker labels or stamps. put your info on the packaging, and if you insist on business cards, put them in the bag.
i remember when i was a customer i would always lose business cards. they will always end up in some bags, and by the time i find them i don't care anymore or i just never find them.
taking pictures of info is my favorite thing to do because when i'm looking through con photos, bam! there's your info in my camera roll. then i can just go to instagram/some app in a few swipes and follow you.

>> No.8557409

>>8556552
I'm on mobile so I can only zoom in so much: are those macaron pillows or plush bags?

>> No.8558047

>>8557409
plush bags

>> No.8558239
File: 165 KB, 425x319, 20091120210929480.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8557193
I agree with the stamp thing.

I also make my own business cards by using my stamp on some cheap Michaels card stock and put a coupon code for my online store covered with some scratch off paint on the back.

>> No.8558260

>>8556881

Now that some of my items have packaging, I just put my info there. I'm still going to do business cards, but last year I was putting them in every bag. This year I'll only put them in bags where someone bought a lot. Otherwise people can take a card if they want it. I still like cards, and I actually pay for nice paper and raised ink, all that jazz. But if I'm saying on the card, "graphic designer and illustrator" I can't have cards that look like shit or feel cheap.

>> No.8558289

I'm sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I'm trying to figure out if Anime North Texas allows fan art or not at AA. I'm reading the policies but I can't tell if it says some is allowed or not. If someone can help me out I'd really appreciate it!

http://animenorthtexas.com/artist-alley-policies/

>> No.8558769

Any tips for someone who's starting an online shop? Things you wished you did differently or better when you first started?

>> No.8558836

>>8558769
1) Assuming you're in the US, USPS flat rate priority mail honestly makes shipping stuff so much easier.
You can take advantage of their free shipping supplies and the shipping cost comes with tracking so you don't have to pay extra for it.

2) If you're selling stickers or buttons, don't ship them in a regular envelope like a letter.
There's a higher chance that the envelop will be destroyed and the contents lost.

3) Use a tube for prints.
If you ship them in an envelope or a padded mailer, they will still be squashed.

4) Free gifts are nice but they aren't necessary.
Imo you should still throw in a nice handwritten note along with a business card or some sort of indication of who you are.

5) Make sure the pieces that you sell for full price are good quality and will be up to your customer's standard.
Last year I mostly bought stuff from other artists instead of selling and I really got some not-so-nice things from people's online shops. Buttons with off-center graphics, posters that were trimmed by hand but the edges were ragged, small prints which had dents in them, etc.
I'm not saying that you should be 100% perfect at everything like a machine but at least find a way to make sure everything you sell looks nice.

>> No.8558891

>>8558289
>"The artist may only have up to 20 copies of a single piece of art of licenses properties"

>> No.8558917

>>8558769
biggest advice is seconding # 2 >>8558836
holy hell the usps gives no shits if you pay the extra 50 cents to not have it go through the machine sorter, it will still go through the machine
buy some bubble mailers in bulk from ebay

>> No.8559193

does taking preorders work for people? like are people actually willing to preorder charms and stuff?

>> No.8559232

>>8559193
I do preorders on my dakimakura that work out pretty well, but I've never done preorders for my charms.

>> No.8559235

>>8558769
Adding on the other anons, if you pay for your postage through Paypal, it's a cheaper rate than the PO and you get a free tracking number. All you need is a shipping scale to get an accurate weight. I bought mine for $30 or so on Amazon, but it will eventually pay for itself.

>> No.8559268

>>8559193
I think if you're an artist with a relatively big following, it can work especially if you do art of a popular series.

>> No.8559410

poop nugget anon here! someone in the last thread asked "HOW/WHY" and i never responded because lazy. but here i am!
>tl;dr found poop nugget on AA table

>have table with resin and other handmade stuff
>wearing lolita, feel cute
>making bank, feels good man
>male approaches table
>in the least offensive way possible, he is definitely an autist
>wearing velcro shoes
>keeps asking me how i made everything, i kindly explain but he's standing in the middle of my table and making people avoid my stuff
>he talks about anime and all the things he's bought
>i try to make him go to other booths by saying stuff like "oh you like that anime? i saw a really cool print over there, you should check it out!"
>HE WON'T LEAVE
>he's repeatedly sticking his hands in his pants, front and back
>i literally want to die
>he keeps saying (6 times, i counted) that he wants to go to the rave but his mom has to go with him
>HIS MOM
>i ask him where his mom is and he says "in the bathroom"
>he stayed with me for at least 20 minutes
>his phone starts ringing, it's the teen titans theme song
>his phonecase has his mom's contact info on it
>she soon comes to pick him up, i casually mention that he's been here for 20 minutes
>she looks horrified and takes him to his other caretaker i assume
>she comes back and apologizes, even buys some stuff
>apparently (obviously) he's 'special' and this is his first time going to a con and he's been talking to everyone
>his mom was in a crash and died, she's his aunt but official caretaker
>he calls her mom and acts exactly like she's his mom, even acts like she has her memories and made her dye her hair to his mom's color
>i feel bad for him
>after she left i went to rearrange my table and found the poop nugget
>no more bad feels, just regret and a poop nugget

i have no idea where the aunt actually was because there's no reason to stay in the bathroom for 20 mins..

>> No.8559423

>>8559410
wait like an actual real poop nugget

like human feces poop nugget with a smell and bacteria and everything.

holy shit captcha don't fucking make me pick out pancakes while I'm trying to figure out of someone left actual turd on someone's AA table or not

>> No.8559442

>>8559410
i'm just wondering how someone managed to leave a poopnugget on your table without you noticing
was it the guy's poopnugget
someone else's poopnugget
just...
wow

>> No.8559456

>>8559410
>no more bad feels, just regret and a poop nugget
lol'd irl

>> No.8559459

>>8559410
she was squeezing out a poop nugget

>> No.8559462

>>8559456
right? i feel bad for her but holy shit i cannot stop giggling

>> No.8559482

>>8559442
when someone like him stays at your booth for 20 minutes, you start to stop paying attention.. at least i do. i should mention that he was constantly hands-on with my stuff- picking them up, shuffling them around, which is why i had to rearrange it afterwards. and yes, i did tell him to stop. no, he did not stop. also he didn't steal anything.

>>8559423
yes, an actual poop nugget. i never made contact with it and just flung it off of my tablecloth. after that i had a janitor pick it up and bought a new tablecloth from walmart for the next day.

artist alleys have never been the same for me after that fateful day. every con has a lingering fear of encountering poopnugget-sama again..

>> No.8560071

>>8559482
Dude what the actual fuck. I'm so mindfucked about how that poop nugget could've even gotten there.

>> No.8560202

>>8559410
Everyone's talking about the nugget but nothing about the poor aunt?

>> No.8560209

>>8560202
I wonder how much poop she deals with on a regular basis.

>> No.8560678

>>8559482
I'm so sorry for you on the poop part.

Last time I had a table there was these really sweet but you could tell not fully there girl who was into digimon. I had a ton of Digimon plush I had made. She picked up each one and would tell me their names and attacks and stuff-like I didn't know. She said she was waiting for her dad to come so she could buy some stuff.

Okay cool, I can live with a few minutes of waiting...15 minutes later I'm done. She's told me countless times about them and knocked over everything a few times now. Finally her dad comes and says she can get 2 small ones. She really wants 3 of them and starts to throw a fit. How about just $4 for a 3rd since you're getting so many (cut the price in half) He says no and she continues to get madder.

Throw the 3 digimon in a bag and hand them to her so they'll leave. She say's she'll be back tomorrow to get more. I wanted to tell her not to. She chased off 5 people trying to get them to buy digimon plush, I felt bad for the people she bugged and for my sales too.

>> No.8560905

Any of you make umbrella's or plushes to sell?

Do you make the plushes by hand or do you send in a design and have a company do it for you?

>> No.8560927

>>8559410
>>8559423
>>8559442
>>8560209

I just can't stop laughing. I'm so sorry for >>8559410 but it's fucking hilarious. I would've showered in spray disinfection.

>When I have the chance to open the new artist alley thread you can't hold me back from naming it
>The Don't-Talk-About-Poop-Edition
>I'm still dying

>> No.8561345

How many cons do you guys go to per year and how much do you make on average?
I try to go to ~25 each year and I tend to make around $4k+. Worst was $2k but it was a local con so no travel/hotel was involved.

>> No.8561357

>>8561345
>25 cons a year
jesus shit do you ever sleep?

>> No.8561370

>>8560678
I don't get why the parents of kids like this let the kids go off alone. Like you understand your kid is annoying ans autistic so why are you pawning them off on some poor unsuspecting congoer?

>> No.8561398

>>8560678
dude this is why i don't give out free stuff like yeah it's annoying when they throw tantrums and it makes you look bad but usually people understand that you need to make money from sales too and the person that it reflects the worst on is the parent

>> No.8561429

Does anyone have a photo of any clear acrylic charm they got from Vograce?

>> No.8561433

>>8561345
omg?? 25????
I go to around 3 cons a year and they're all local. I earn about 500-1000

>> No.8561466
File: 125 KB, 739x1082, kiki_s_delivery_service_by_juliettelaurent-d61173i.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8561345
Can you post your artwork anon?
Im curious about the quality of art I need to have to be able to pull that much per con.

>> No.8561489

>>8561345
>>8561466
i too am curious o.o

>> No.8561497

>>8561345
I just had my first and made $2k before taxes and table/print costs, no travel or hotel involved. It was over twice what I expected so I'm really happy.

>> No.8561509

>>8561466
It's not necessarily the quality of the artwork, keep in mind.

i.e shit art like Musetap studios will bring in that much, if not more, because of a large inventory and usually large con presence (fuckin mile high displays and whatnot). Depends on the angle you play. Everyone has a niche

>> No.8561514

>>8561345
8-10 a year, about $5k-9K per con, really ranges. I only hit the big ones.

>> No.8561551

>>8561357
>>8561433
>>8561466
>>8561489
Well I live in Cali so there's a lot of cons that are close to me. I'll take a picture of my stuff when I get the chance but art is actually my lowest selling point, sometimes I don't sell any prints at all. I sell pretty much everything at my booth- plushies, jewelry, "make your own" jewelry (where the customer chooses what they want to turn a charm into), soaps, bath bombs, stationary, paper dolls, deco, resin, candles, sometimes I sell clothing.. I guess I just appeal to almost everyone. I actually used to be a pharmacist but my husband is also one and brings in $300k yearly and being a pharmacist really made me depressed so I just quit. I never wanted to do it but parents, ya know. He can get off of work pretty much whenever and we don't have kids weighing us down so he comes to a lot of cons with me too.. So I do get sleep because I'm basically a housewife haha. I figure most people here are in college which is why you can't go to 25 cons like me (I'm a couple years outta college though, I feel your pain lol). If I pull in $4k at each con I would make $100k per year, but sometimes you makes more, sometimes you make less. All in all travel is actually really inexpensive because usually I just crash at a close friend's house and airplanes don't cost much these days.
I think that if you do AA for fun or just to make some side cash then making a lil bit of money is fine.

>> No.8561554

>>8561551
*sometimes you make
I need to sleep.

>> No.8561568
File: 27 KB, 527x409, .png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8561551
....I honestly don't believe you

>> No.8561661
File: 262 KB, 1280x1280, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8561429
Ok I hope I don't double post because something bugged out but
This is just a sample they sent me along with my charm samples so not my art. Also a pic of their rubber ones since they sent it too

>> No.8561668
File: 1.28 MB, 2352x1568, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.8561669

>>8561568
Nah, it's not but it's fine if you think that. It's kinda like how some housewives have their own ~etsy businesses~ imo. My art is actually pretty shit- I can do patterns and small drawings but nothing print worthy. I'm pretty crafty though and I want to work on improving my needle felting. I also want to start an online shop but I need to figure out shipping and stuff.

>> No.8561672
File: 120 KB, 799x533, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8561668

>> No.8561693

>>8561509
If you dont mind me asking, how much do you usually make tim?
Your artwork is on the upper end of quality and you do a lot of fanart so im going to guess between 4 to 5k a con but I could be wrong.
>>8561345
Personally I make 1.5 to 3.5k profit, with very little fan art and almost no internet presence. My artwork is pretty alright and I also use mostly traditional opposed to digital.
I could make loads off of dynamically posed colorful digital art of every fandom possible but I choose to stick with my niche since I personally prefer original cutesy illustrations in traditional mediums and I feel like its already a very competitive market and I would have to compete with big names like m00kie or sakimichan who already have established fanbases and loads of products.
Nothing against big print artists though in all honesty ive talked to quite a few and theyre great people but I personally prefer seeing tables that were a labor of love and reflect personal taste than the current oversaturated sea of steven universe and sports anime charms and prints that dominate artist alley. If your art is good you will still make money and isnt it more satisfying than trying to hop on the latest trendy fandom before the big names get to it?
Sorry this turned into a rant fml.

>> No.8561783

>>8561693
Haha I don't make that much. I've made that much in the past, but haven't done quite that well in a while. I think I average around 1.5-2kish these days? I think it has less to do with the quality of my art and more to do with my inventory. I don't have a lot of newer stuff, and in the last year or so I've come out with maybe 2-3 new prints, which drives down sales (since everyone's already bough my stuff before).

...I'm also like horribly lazy when it comes to restocking, inventory, etc. While I love doing AA's, I don't take it very seriously because I already have a day job.

Planning on gearing up a bit more for next con season though. We'll see how it goes!

>> No.8561799

>>8560905
I make plushies, sewn by machine, no embroidery machine yet.

Also
>artists making $1k+ even on a bad day
makes me a little miserable because I don't make anywhere near that except once, but I have no excuse since I don't think I try hard enough. Local events around here kind of sucks, I'll have to try branching off to outside the province one day.

>> No.8561890

>>8561370
She had a sister the dad was with that was much younger. So probably looking at something she wanted.
>>8561398
Well they payed for the 2. I just wanted her gone so for the $8 I missed out on I'm fine. Her dad was kind of a dick who you could tell hated being there so getting him gone was good too.

>> No.8562079

>>8561345
I go to 3-4 per year, the biggest being Fanime. I'd say I get between $2k to $700 on average. Wish I could net more but I guess either my art style isn't attractive enough or the content isn't. But I've gotten good feedback on my original ink drawings so I guess that's a start.

>> No.8562084

>>8561799
Are you me? But seriously, primarily I make plush and even though they seem really popular all my local shows are so small that I've only made what felt like normal money ($500-$1k+) once when I branched out and traveled two counties away.

>> No.8562092

>>8560905
Could you show a plush you made, how big do you usually make them? Are they from a source material or original?

>> No.8562096

>>8562092
meant to quote >>8561799

>> No.8562099
File: 23 KB, 236x305, zilla.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You know what I want to see in Artist Alleys? Woodblocks or linocuts or other prints. Like, actual printmaking prints you had to crank through a press.

>> No.8562130

>>8561551
man this is making me salty. if your husband is pulling in 300k a year why the fuck do you need to be making profit at conventions, where most of the people there are poor college students trying to get by.
>I'm a couple years outta college though, I feel your pain lol
it has to be bait man im falling for it
>making around 100k a year from cons alone
>4-5 times what most people here make at their fulltime jobs

>> No.8562134

>>8562130
>my husband is wealthy why do I need a job, lol
American women, everybody.

>> No.8562139

>>8561551
Do you actually make all that stuff? Do you have pictures of your setup? I'm genuinely curious because you sound more like a vendor than someone in the artist alley. And I would be lying if I didn't say I was jealous of the fact that you can do this as a hobby (because of your husband's income) and STILL make more than most of the rest of us on average.

>> No.8562149
File: 307 KB, 804x452, 2015-08-18 00.41.13.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8562099
I've thought about doing that but I'm not sure how I would price them at. Like there's an average price for digital prints but I'm not sure about hand-printed stuff. Pic is some valentines I printed.

>> No.8562155

>>8562134
>my husband will be a millionaire in 3 years so I'm bored. I'll use my comfortable lifestyle to have fun selling trinkets at conventions
im just really salty anon, im going to be stuck wasting 40 hours of my life a week to make less than half of what this lady says she makes for fun in a single weekend. plus you know, 300k a year
im just really, really bitter. the most money my parent has ever made a year was 60k for a short while, and we felt like we were living the good life.

>> No.8562158

>>8562139
Yeah there is no way that anon has all that stuff for sale, and still make that much. You'd have to be better than the sellers that specialize in all that stuff.

>> No.8562161

>>8562155
I feel ya anon, I'm bitter too. Life isn't fair and it blows, just wish I could be ignorant of other people's awesome lives.

>> No.8562167

>>8562149
Pricing is difficult, but I think you could get away with a nice amount considering how unique it would be. I would guess just try factoring in time and the costs of good paper and ink? Have a little discount bin for any poor or imperfect prints. Those are some chill valentines by the way.

>> No.8562176

>>8562155
It's okay, I'm salty too. I also get upset when conventions do first come first served for booths, and I see people with terrible TERRIBLE looking items with or practically bare tables when several artists I know didn't get in. Everyone has to start somewhere but it irks me that they are essentially wasting a space when someone could have benefited from it.

>> No.8562187

>>8562161
and its like awesome that she wants to do stuff like work. its just the one job thats in direct competition of people that are putting in everything they have, skill/time/money wise in hopes that their efforts will be appreciated and they'll turn a small profit.

>>8562176
this too, if she's taking 25 spaces a year she has to really be trying. a large portion of conventions sell their tables all in the first few minutes of putting them up now, thats 25 artists that wont have opportunities to even sell the art they've worked on.

sorry to derail the thread, this just really struck me the wrong way

>> No.8562231

>>8562099
I definitely want to do some linocut prints. I haven't looked into the specifics much yet but I had the chance to do a few in a class and enjoyed the process. I'm mainly a digital artist so I like that it gives a different feel without being overly complicated or having too steep of a learning curve (at least, the things I've done so far - I'm sure you can make it much more complex)

>> No.8562258
File: 708 KB, 574x782, Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 10.22.02 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

a couple thousand a con is kind of incredible to read, and almost inconceivable to me except for my BIG name friends. I travel a lot and have made a lot of friends with a lot of amazing artists. Other than my friends who have that professional tier painterly anime women facing left, most of them who are very good artists and live off their work make anywhere between 900-2k a con, while my friends who are just starting out (and have decent art) make between 300-1k.

Tableing isnt something you can live on because you can never KNOW what is popular and what isn't, but some of these numbers i'm reading are impossible. The most my friends have ever gotten is 3k at otakon.

I make usually between 1-2k a convention, and I consider myself a middle-upper, but not a top tier. Its a profitable hobby but too much to live off of

Anyway that being said i think spending money on in-con business cards is a waste because so many people just collect them and dont do anything. keep a stash of professional ones, give out garbage ones.

>> No.8562260
File: 953 KB, 544x800, Screen Shot 2015-05-08 at 1.26.32 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8562258
ah, file had my name on it and i dont really wanna connect myself that hard to 4chan. have a pepe instead i drew while drunk

>> No.8562442

>>8562258
They're only impossible because you have to realize you and your friends (and most people on cgl) are scrub tier.

>> No.8562477

>>8562258
Most of my friends make 4k+ even at shit cons, I make 1.5 to 2k easily and it jumps up to 3k at bigger cons I don't think its that unheard of.
You just have to be really good at prints or find another niche market that isnt already oversaturated.

>> No.8562499

Ugh, AFO was a minor nightmare.

Lessons learned:
>REALLY need to expand into charms/stickers/bags/something. I don't think I'm ever going to make the numbers I want on prints alone.
>my boyfriend is great for a lot of things, but setting up a table isn't one of them.
>Need to make a very clear divide between my half of the table and my partners. Just getting annoyed by the amount of her customers that block my half of the table. Doesn't help that she attracts the awkward people that don't leave quickly.

I'm also having the post-con blues where I feel like everything I make is crap. Gotta pull myself together and get cracking to be better.

>> No.8562544

In my opinion, don't even consider making AA full time if you can't break $5k consistently and book less than 10 cons a year.

>>8562187
>thats 25 artists that wont have opportunities
It seems kind of unhealthy to view AA as an end all be all type of income. If these hypothetical artists truly relied on AA for exposure and money, they should be more resourceful and determined. I admire pharmacist anon since she actually finished schooling, worked a good job, and seems to have a stable relationship. The fact she's still helping to supplement their income is pretty cool too. You get a good life by going through shit first, don't victimize yourself and downplay someone else's.

>> No.8562582

>>8562544
I'm more annoyed by the fact that the stuff she sells sounds more suited for the dealers hall because no way she makes all of that herself.

>> No.8562589

>>8562582
This, it all sounds too perfect too
"Yeah I have the option to do cons all year round and my husband makes 300k and is able to take time off whenever he wants, also I sell everything you can think off!"
I don't entirely think anon is lying but it just sounds too much like a perfect scenario and agreed, no way that if she sells that many different items she makes them herself especially since she goes to 25 cons each year.

>> No.8562683

>>8561669
Can you show examples of your stuff rather than talk about it I'm starting to agree with the other anon

>> No.8562722

>>8556881
I did this for Anime Expo because I forgot to reprint business cards, and honestly I got a lot more followers after the con than I typically do with just business cards. I think people tend to follow up more because they have your URL saved on their phone rather than a business card lost in their luggage.

>> No.8562806

>>8562149
I'd pay like $5.

>> No.8562819

>>8562149
I personally like these way more than glossy prints, but I'm sure consumers would view them as cheap because they have no idea how they're made.

>> No.8562823
File: 25 KB, 680x383, look-of-disgust.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8562806

>> No.8562828

>>8562806
>>8562823
I'm with anon, it wouldn't take any longer to make those than it would a small postcard-size digital art print, which I don't pay more than $3/ 2-for-$5 for.

>> No.8562848

>>8562828
Considering that once you finish the digital print the work is over (and you can also tweak and erase as you please) VS having to ink and hand crank each individual print with much more room for error $5 still feels low to me. I think it depends on the size and complexity though and $5 might be alright for something that seems simple and small like the Valentines.

>> No.8562940

>>8562134
Let my clarify- I did not want to go to pharmacy school. I have very pushy parents who basically forced me to go to pharmacy school just like all of my siblings. They based my schooling around getting into Pharmacy school. And yes, I did tell them multiple times that I did not want to go, but sometimes it's not that easy. One day I would like to go back to college but I don't know what for yet. I understand that my parent's thought it would be best for me since I would make a lot of money, but I wasn't happy and it wasn't good for me mentally.

Also I'm not sure why other people in the AA being college students matter (someone else wrote this but I can't find the post lol). I don't ever feel like I'm taking business away from other people. Of course I will be making more money but it's because I'm visiting tons of cons. If you're just doing cons for some side money please don't compare yourself to me since it's not fair imo, just be proud of your work and how much you make.

>> No.8562956

>>8562582
Err.. I don't see how it's impossible to make that stuff. Sometimes I don't have certain items at cons. But you never realize how much time you have until you don't have anything to do. I make my resin jewelry in huge batches, same with the soaps and bath bombs (but I try to make those closer to the con date). I get the stationary done online (memo pads and notebooks) but I might be pulling it because it doesn't sell that well. I sometimes sell skirts, etc but sometimes cons don't allow clothing and I never know what sizes to make. I can wake up at 9am and spend 6 hours crafting (which is a lie, I take breaks/get distracted lol) which makes a tooon of stuff.
And I'll post my setup when I finish making my mockup. I'm working on new shelves, I'm trying to make them lightweight but sturdy because I hate grids.

>> No.8563088

> tfw when rich anons husband makes 25k in a single month
hun thats more than some of us make in an entire year
please understand why its a little rough for some anons to hear youre making an additional 4k a weekend for funsies selling stuff that typically belongs in the dealers hall.

>> No.8563089

>>8562956
Don't listen to these salty people. You're killing it and should continue to do so for as long as you can. You don't have to prove yourself to any of these assholes.

>> No.8563100

>>8563089
This. Sure, you're allowed to feel jelly, but keep it to yourself. Geez, it's not like you're only allowed to sell the AA if you earn under X amount per year.

>> No.8563122

>>8563100

> people are allowed to humblebrag but we aren't allowed to complain

>> No.8563129

>>8563088
Yeah, I wasn't really expecting that response. But also I live in Cali and the cost of living is high so it's not like we get to keep all that money for fun and stuff. Also since my stuff is all handmade I don't consider it to be dealer's hall worthy, it definitely has that 'handmade charm' to it.

I feel like this is all off topic lol so I have a question: what do you guys use to display your stuff, besides using those grids? I've been using them for the longest time but I wanna get rid of them because I hate how they look. I'm trying to make my own shelves but I'm afraid someone might accidentally push/pull them off the table since they can't be clamped on. Btw, if I manage to make some nice shelves for myself I'll gladly give away my grid cubes to someone on here.

>> No.8563134

>>8563122
This.

>> No.8563143

>>8563129
i use cubes but they feel so unstable to me ;-; maybe i just somehow got cheap ones? but they wobble and stuff, its only a matter of time until they fall down ugh

>> No.8563222

>>8560678
I've had my (young, not autistic) kids try and pull that crap with me. If they want to push things after I say no, I pull them away from the table so the seller doesn't get uncomfortable and feel like they have to say/do something. You do it enough times, and at least for my neurotypical kids, they stopped making a scene after awhile. I also make it a point to tell them that they're being inconsiderate to the seller. They don't like to bother people, so it helps bring them out of their me-me-me focused tantrum and realize there are other people involved.

>> No.8563238

>>8562499
I went around AFO looking pretty carefully at all the tables, I wonder who you are. I was going around trying to find Homura stuff that would work for an ita bag, but all the artists that had pins of her did her in that weird mannish tumblr style. In the end I only bought prints, I had a clear bag full of them.
If you were the girl who kept on having people excitedly come up to your partner asking if she had commissions open and how they didn't know she'd be there, I think I bought something from you.

>> No.8563269
File: 271 KB, 1280x832, FNAF_small.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8563238
Ahh, 99% sure I'm not the person you're thinking of. (My partner only got 3 commissions, and 2 were from the same person.)

This was one of my prints.

Hmm. I wonder if a set of Madoka prints would be a good way to test out a new artstyle...

>> No.8563272

>>8562499
Yea, AFO felt like a trinket convention. Trinkets and small prints. I thought I knew who you were, but thought you used to post under a name.

>> No.8563329

>>8563272
I lurk here more than post, and don't usually name myself. But eh, why not?

Thank you again for the gift Saturday! Made my weekend!

>> No.8563353

>>8563329
I was 99% medded up and drowsy, too much to be social when you stopped by. Sorry about that. Here's to hoping AFO fixes the silly 3ft table rule next year. It didn't feel fair that 'guest artists', if you could even call some of them that, got full spaces.

>> No.8563363

On a side note, is anyone else a little bit horrified by the amount of children ages 7-14ish that have taken a huge interest into FNAF? I haven't played the games, but aren't they supposed to be a bit scary?

>> No.8563375

>>8563363

Not really. They are babby's first horror game.

>> No.8563422

>>8563363
It's just jump scare trash ie the cheapest form of horror on the market. Is there really a huge boon of it? I always thought it was just a nichey little fandom that is just really recognizable so it looks like there is more stuff for it than there is.

>> No.8563430

>>8563375
This. It's Jumpscares: The Game. And fairly bloodless. Most of the creepiness comes from the backstory (child murders and whatnot).

I feel you though- my 13yr old sister is obsessed with FNAF. But then I remember being much younger than her, and watching stuff like Nightmare on Elm Street and The Lost Boys.

>> No.8563435
File: 70 KB, 275x224, oh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8563422
>>8563430
>jumpscare
Nope, nope. No. I will shit my dipes.

>> No.8563437

>>8562806
>>8562828
>>8562848
Thanks for the feedback! Though I guess with what I'd want to sell eventually they'd be much bigger prints and more layers+colors.

>> No.8563480

>>8561345
Most of my friends make 5-8 thousand a convention, higher end friends that had been doing this for years range at 10 thousand per con

>> No.8563482

>>8563430
Hahahaha Lost Boys and NoES, my childhood. I guess it's to be expected that we all had shit taste when we were children lol

>> No.8563484

>>8563238
Just curious, what do you mean by the "manish" tumblr style? I feel like I know what you're talking about, where everyone has weird big flat noses, darker than usual skin tones, and are just kind of ugly?

>> No.8563500

>>8563437

I think the key will be going to cons with a more mature audience. Teens won't care at all. But if you hit up cons that have a proven adult demographic, you could do quite well. I'd pay like $3-40 for a very nice, large print. I understand the effort that goes into them. Also, if you could control the # of copies, maybe even doing an exclusive print for each con (that you'd retire after the con) or something, to really highlight the uniqueness, that's something too. Editioning prints is always a plus.

>> No.8563531

>>8563269
oh hey! Nice to know you still lurk around here. :)

>> No.8563540
File: 221 KB, 570x570, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8563484
Tbh I actually like this style for male characters like pic related's Maki's face could work well for Kakyoin.
I prefer rounder, cuter faces and features for female characters but each to their own.

>> No.8563543

>>8563540
Kek, Katori's face makes her look like a doppelganger for crossdressing Russia/Ivan.

>> No.8563545

>>8563540
Oh ok, yeah I definitely see what you mean. I've also seen a lot of this style with Love Live stuff on tumblr, and tbh I hate it being used for female characters. You're right about them being really nice guy faces, but guys and girls naturally have different facial features. I don't find many of those cute or fitting for female characters, let alone idols.

>> No.8563546

>>8563543
> Katori's
Kotori's

>> No.8563548

>>8563540
This is exactly the pic I was gonna reply with hahaha

>> No.8563549

>>8563540
I think what they're trying to do here is have more realistic facial proportions, but they do it with no flair, and also they choose the wrong things to try and make accurate. These straight up look like men in wigs because they have traditional male traits. I wouldn't be surprised if you told me this artist was a man. It seems to me that some men have trouble drawing feminine women, and some women have trouble drawing masculine men.

>> No.8563552

>>8563543
Holy shit I was thinking this too. She looks like Russia and Hanayo reminds me of how people draw Ukraine. Why is Nozomi fat? She's an idol, no offense meant to anyone but you wouldn't exactly become an idol with that body type...

>> No.8563556

>>8563549
Another thing. Not everything that looks good in real life translates well to a drawing.

>> No.8563557

>>8563549
Actually drawing that way seems to be a huge trend on tumblr with the younger ladies. Because body acceptance and non-classical beauty is beautiful and all of that. It's mostly young, untrained artists who draw manface though because they don't understand while not all women are classically beautiful, they still retain a certain feminine appeal to their features regadless.

>> No.8563561

>>8563549
>>8563556
They have no lips, typically something you need to make a female cartoon seem female. They have those thin lines people use for male faces

>> No.8563563

>>8563557
Yes, I agree!

>> No.8563565

>>8556553
Dumbass of the year award goes to me. Sorry guys.

>> No.8563568

>>8563540
holy shit this is hideous, at least they didn't try to make 90% of them black or something.

>> No.8563582

>>8563557
Basically this. I don't understand why they insist on applying it to a group of young idols when the idol industry is aggressively manufactured appearances.

And for some reason, tumblr thinks Eli is played by Matt Smith in a long wig.

>> No.8563598

>>8563582
It's just very offputting because most of them look like men in wigs, like the other anons said. I think a good example of how to draw more diverse girls is by looking at Laika characters and Dreamworks concept art (think HTTYD).

>> No.8563610

>>8563552
Nozomi tends to be drawn fat by this crowd because she has big boobs. That tends to happen to bustier characters a lot

>> No.8563613

>>8563543
>>8563552
Whoa she really does look like Ivan. I can totally see it now that you pointed it out.
Hanayo's hat makes her look like Ukraine too.

>>8563565
It got fixed so no worries!

>> No.8563670

>>8563543
I always see Bill from King of the Hill

>> No.8563758

>>8563480
Need names of friend's stores/business' and conventions immediately so I can aspire to be them.

>> No.8563760

>>8563540
The big noses just make them look like they're all animal hybrids. Like Kotori straight up has an alpaca face and Hanayo's neck is freaking me out. She's like a tortoise.

>> No.8563767

>>8563540
potatoes

>> No.8563834

I recently got access to my universities tech lab with all sorts of printers and laser cutters etc. It's an engineering and design school so there's a lot available. While I know how to use the machines, Im still trying to figure out how clear acrylic charms are made. From all the companies that offer them, there seems to be a really clear consistent process that they all follow, but I have no idea where to begin for it and cant find anything online. It has to be something easily obvious or easily found though, since they have those small companies offering them that appear to be done through the same process. Can any anons point me in a direction to get started?

>> No.8563920

>>8563834
maybe one of your teachers knows. not meant to be a jerky statement, they just might.

>> No.8563925

>>8563540
They either look like men or middle aged women. I hate how creating a "unique style" on tumblr has become "just draw noses and ears really ugly".

>> No.8563935

>>8563925
It's what happens when kids get that "drawing anime is bad!!" mentality and force themselves to go western.. while still liking anime.

>> No.8563946

>>8563935
Don't forget the /very/ forced "we need diversity!!!!! Even tho all the characters have their own characteristics I have to put my own headcanons!!! And call them canon!!!"

>> No.8563972

curious though, how well do these artists even do selling their work? I mean, the whole point of them doing this shit is to ~represent~ more people or whatever but is that an actual selling point?

>> No.8563980
File: 468 KB, 1280x586, 1427832451556.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8563946
Are you saying this isn't canon?

>> No.8563987

>>8563980
not even japanese high schoolers with canon measurements are safe from the "REPRESENTATION"

>> No.8563988

Does anyone know any artists who sell lolita/cute prints? not sure where to ask about this, I asked in the lolita art thread too.

>> No.8563989

>>8561661
Thank you! I'm worried since someone said the printing was kind of grainy. But it doesn't look like that.

>>8561668
>>8561672
Awesome thanks. From the picture I can tell they don't work with transparency inside the picture itself? For example Miku's twintails got a block of white when it should be translucent. I had this issue with the supplier from Taobao.

>> No.8564005

>>8563980
What the fuck is this? An AU where everyone is disfigured? It reminds me of disabled!stuck.

>> No.8564014

>>8563988
http://scorpionstar.storenvy.com/ had lolita prints last time I checked, looks like it's just books/charms now but you could keep an eye on her stuff if you like it

>> No.8564033

>>8563980
This is what real idol groups formed by high schoolers looks like, full of ugly weeby freaks

>> No.8564039

>>8564014
I just saw she was already the only suggestion in the other thread, sorry haha

>> No.8564064

>>8563980
it's amazing how much outrage this picture gets every time it is posted, no matter how many times it is posted. I could almost write them off as being just a really unrefined/bad artstyle but then nico and nozomi are a reminder that no, everyone is intentionally ugly.

>> No.8564078

>>8564064
I know, honestly I find it hilarious to post it just because of the inevitable reactions from people who have never seen it. Case in point: >>8553224

>> No.8564086

>>8563988
http://www.redbubble.com/people/loonybear/collections/294284-japanese-street-fashion
Mostly just stickers but I think they're pretty nice. You might be able to get one as a print if you messaged the artist or something.

>> No.8564103

>>8563980
Who wants to bet that Nico and Rin are trans? And Nozomi, holy shit.
Seriously, why are all their breasts saggy? Why do Honoka and Rin have so much armpit hair? Is the artist aware of what being an idol entails, or what human females usually look like?
I know I'm raging, but seriously, there's no middle ground here. It's like a Very Special Episode lineup.

>> No.8564111

>>8563980
Do Nozomi, Maki, Umi and Kotori have tampon strings hanging down their thighs, or is that weird line a stretch mark/single overgrown pube?

>> No.8564134

>>8564111
They're breaking the menstruation stigma.

No I'm pretty sure it's supposed to just be like, a line defining the crotch/thigh. I don't think it exists on normal humans in that way but the same could be said about a lot of things present in this image

>> No.8564138

>>8564111
I think it's a poorly-represented attempt at showing the edge of an inner thigh muscle.

>> No.8564158 [DELETED] 

Any Aussies who have ordered from Vograce- how long does it take to get shipped to Adelaide? How much time do I need to allow.

Or anyone else too, I just need to know if i'm too late to order stuff. Is expecting it to get here within 2 months safe?

>> No.8564160

>>8563920
Not my major, but i'll try to ask around to see if anyone knows.
My main wonder is trying to figure out exactly how it's put together, which is really the direction that I need. I don't have a physical charm in front of me to examine, but is it like... printed on a piece of paper wedged between two pieces of clear acrylic? Or printed directly on the acrylic? It'd be a lot easier if I owned one, instead of just looking at images online.

>> No.8564173

Any Aussies who have ordered from Vograce- how long does it take to get shipped to Australia? How much time do I need to allow.

Or anyone else too, I just need to know if i'm too late to order stuff. Is expecting it to get here within 2 months safe?

>> No.8564177

>>8564160
Both are viable options. Vograce and a lot of Chinese sellers o the paper thing, where it's printed on paper and wedged between acrylic (sometimes I think with an epoxy coating to seal it/give a "rounder" feel). Inkit, Zap, Chillypig, and Acorn all print directly onto the acrylic, I believe. I'd say go with personal preference? In terms of sales, people don't give any fucks if it's one or the other.

>> No.8564180

>>8564177
Alright, thanks a lot. I'll mess around and see what I can do, and update if I can get a decent product.

>> No.8564194

>>8564173
If you order with the SF shipping it should take roughly a week to get to Australia.

>> No.8564222

>>8563980
Is rin a burn victim????? So much of this is just terrible anatomy, why

>> No.8564227

>>8563980
Why do they always make characters with full busts obese when they do things like this? Do they think that it's not possible to have large breasts unless you are 200 pounds overweight?

>> No.8564286

>>8564222
I think it's supposed to be freckles...but poorly executed lol

>> No.8564292

>>8564227
Fat acceptance, anon. Small breasts= trans/agender/genderqueer, large breasts=earthquake warning with pastel hair and a few tatttoos or piercings. Tumblr is a place where half the people have self-diagnosed Special Abilities, and the other half don't leave their homes, so nobody knows what a human looks like and everybody is desperate to score SJW points. And no, nobody can have huge tits if the rest of them isn't wrapped in blubber, because body acceptance movements refuse to acknowledge the fact that some people are big despite being thin or flat despite being obese. On the plus side, at least none of the characters are too badly racebent (Nico aside) and none of them have Rudolph-red noses, which is something of a miracle.

>> No.8564351

>>8563540
this is disgusting

>> No.8564353

>>8563540
Kotori looks like Bill Dauterive. Like when he went crazy and thought he was Lenore so he wore a dress.

>> No.8564884
File: 1.32 MB, 1143x570, fix.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8563540
It's never the individual feature shapes that's bothered me about this but the fact that they don't know what they're doing technique wise. Half the problem is fixed just by eliminating the huge under nose shadow. It doesn't make sense that the under nose shadow is so prominent while the under CHIN shadow is so shallow. And using black lines for their nose style is terrible. They're clearly just copying some one else's style without understanding how it works.

General proportional errors and misaligned chins also make it worse (eli and maki the most). Like having more masculine jaw lines is fine with me, but if you can't even align the mouth with the chin then it's not masculine it's just wrong...

Also the irises being so small makes them look more masculine, when that's not even a real trait they're representing just a very poor stylistic choice.

My alterations would still make them clearly not cgl ideal anime faces but at least get the other shit together. Sage for being off topic to the thread

>> No.8564902
File: 5 KB, 241x198, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's gonna be my first time selling at Supanova, and I almost shat myself when I saw that they charge $85 for power. I ain't doing that shit

>> No.8564909

>>8564884
That looks so much better, anon.

>> No.8564973
File: 302 KB, 570x378, there's no saving .png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8563540
>>8564884

I tried too just now but gave up at Kotori. You preserved the original style way better though, and made it way better.
Nico I painted over the entire face like a cheater.

>> No.8565216

>>8563540
>>8564884
>>8564973

I'm sure you worked hard on these edits but honestly...there's no saving these designs without a new design from scratch. They are far too hideous to save, even with the line and eye and mouth shape edits, they all look like disgusting men.

Why can't tumblr just let cute things stay cute? I've seen cute unique love live fanart on tumblr too, but this nonsense needs to stop.

>> No.8565240

>>8565216
because fat darkskin manfaces with bodyhair can be cute too!!!!!!

I mean sure but your tumblrina bodytype art just don't fit small japanese girls (reminder: Love live characters ARE japanese.) I mean I can get over it for cosplayers, like yea if your a fat black girl and you want to be Nico, sure whatever. But if you're drawing them... it just seems silly.

>> No.8565253

>>8565240
Personally I'm more hateful against the people who will scream racism when the skin colour of a dark skinned character looks even slightly less dark in fanart, but nobody bats an eye when Nico is suddenly made into a mexican manlet.
Or rather, nobody speaks up because fuck I wouldn't want to deal with that backlash.

>> No.8565257

>>8565253
You mean like when everyone cried that Sailor Pluto was light skinned in SMCrystal, despite her being the darkest of all the characters?

I was the only one telling people to fuck off

>> No.8565267

>>8565257
At least I can see some grounds for that argument, but I'm talking more about people who will yell racism like the Korra incident because they don't realize colour theory exists.

>> No.8565285

>>8563552
because big boobs equals fat in every case ever according to tumblr
no such thing as naturally busty to them
god I fucking hate this art

>> No.8565323
File: 303 KB, 494x540, Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 5.08.09 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does this person even know what lolita fashion is? Is AANI one of those places where you can't give concrit unless it's requested? 'Cause someone needs to set her straight about what lolita fashion is.

>> No.8565326

>>8565323
Probably not. I feel this way about a lot of the stuff in AANI, where I want to correct people for getting fashion related stuff wrong, but I also don't want people attacking me.

>> No.8565344

>>8565326

'Cause even if I ask and say, "Do you take concrit?" sounds like I'm being antagonistic. I don't care for the art style and there are problems there, too, my main thing is girl, actually look at what sweet lolita is. This isn't even lolita, let alone sweet. All my rage.

>> No.8565364

>>8565323
wtf is this pose, anyway

>> No.8565399

>>8565344
just be straight up like "this isn't lolita" and link her to some sweet pieces of your choice. the only way to improve is to get concrit.

>> No.8565440

>>8565399

Done. Tried to be nice. Nothing worse than drawn ita.

>> No.8565442

>>8565440
pretty weak response tbh

>> No.8565447

>>8565442
better than nothing.

>>8565440
the hellolace info is pretty outdated though. it might be better to show them some more recent examples of sweet lolitas instead of linking them to an outdated text wall.

>> No.8565452

>>8565440
just read her response. if she knows it ain't lolita then why would she call it lolita in the first place.

>> No.8565456

>>8564902
hahah and that's cheap, anon. What do you need to charge? I use those little USB batteries to power my phone for my paypal eftpos.

>> No.8565458
File: 53 KB, 487x232, Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 4.26.38 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this sounds really weeby. also why mxm but no fxf? fxf is so rare in dating sims. i really wish there were more games where i could play fxf instead of just mxf or mxm.

>> No.8565459

>>8565440
you tried, nothing else you can do unfortunately

>>8565452
but anon it's "sweet lolita" putting it in quotes makes it *inspired*

what a bullshit excuse

>> No.8565461

>>8565458
I agree there should definitely be some fxf.
I thought the idea was cute though, and her art was nice

>> No.8565470

>>8565447

I think the pictures are a bit outdated, but it's still giving a good example of the basics of the fashion. This is just to give them an example. Feel free to ad to it. Multiple voices saying, "this is lolita, not that" will be better than me piling on them.

Tried to be more direct in my second response. I don't want to really come off too strong but it's hard to explain the "if it's not lolita don't call it lolita" concept without coming across as too rude (I feel at least). I just don't know what the marketability of that type of chibi is if it's just going to be ita. It's not even really the kind of weeby ita outfit weebs would go for. But I'd love to see actual lolita chibis and such.

>> No.8565473

>>8564111
It's a tampon strong, they're the only cis girls in this pic.

>> No.8565527

>>8565452
Marketing. Lolita is a niche thing that people try to market. It works sometimes, but usually the powwow who but lolita "inspired" stuff are ita anyway so....

To be honest I've been wanting to try lolita art at cons since that's how I got into it and there are like no decent lolita artists in aa's sometimes. I'll let you guys know how it goes after pmx

>> No.8565529

>>8565458
> 80's teens
> monsters love interests

So a mixture of lovely little thieves and monstrous lovers?

>> No.8565567

>>8563484
>>8563540
Homura lover here, this is indeed what I meant. It's funny, one of the people who had a Homura pin I hated had a Jojo print that I really liked. The style works way better with men.
>>8563269
Ah, I did see you. I remember that print.

>> No.8565630

>>8565527

And I think that's okay, but if you market to lolitas the artist needs to make sure it follows the rules to a T. Quickest way to piss of a lolita is to pass off something ita as lolita.

I'd love to see lolita art more in AA. I'm so conflicted because I'd love to draw lolita more (hell, at all), but the fujoshit side of me always caves and draws bishounen.

>> No.8565650

Are properly done backgrounds even worth the effort for 11x17 prints?

>> No.8565653

>>8565650
I think it depends on what you're drawing? They're definitely worth doing moreso on a large print versus a small print so I'm not sure what you mean

>> No.8565665

>>8565650
I WISH more people did actual scenery or backgrounds, like paintings. Random stuff thrown on to make a bg is so boring and can break a print for me.

>> No.8565669

>>8565650
"proper" and "effort" are not mutually exclusive. Judging from the way you are saying it, don't bother.

The proper background for anything is one that makes the image compositionally better, not always one that's overly detailed just to place a character some where in space

>> No.8565686

Is anyone here going to SacAnime? My boyfriend is going so I'm sending him to pick up some stuff from the AA for me since I'll be busy studying.
Link me to your shops or social media so I can tell him who to look out for!

>> No.8565687

>>8565650
It depends on your own personal taste. Some artists churn out quick character centric prints. Others work on detailed prints with backgrounds and such. I enjoy both, and really appreciate well done prints with backgrounds and characters.

>> No.8565701
File: 33 KB, 500x400, 5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So. As i'm turning down my AWA table with regrets that I didn't meet the original art quota.. The AA head informed me that 2015 may be the last year they have fanart restrictions.

I don't want to celebrate too early, but how do you all feel about this?

>I'd post this on AANI, but it would just devolve into a shitstorm of fanart vs original art snobs.

>> No.8565706

Apparently someone was selling prints of another artist's art at Otakuthon? Does anyone know if this was the same seller as the one who was selling screenshot buttons of SU?

>> No.8565715

>>8565458

Why is this in AANI? She even said she isn't attending any artist alleys anytime soon... she should go post on lemmasoft or something.

>> No.8565716

>>8565701
Seeing as how the original 50/50 restriction was just a blind copying of Otakon's stupid rule, this is great. If they want to have a 50/50 alley for the sake of their own preference for want in the alley find, but Otakon's reasoning was always "legality" bs and since they just copied that outright it's great that they probably realized it was a bs rule anyway.

>> No.8565724

>>8565706
I was in a block where this was being discussed but I was too far away to really catch much.

Dish the dirt please.

>> No.8565744

>>8565716
I've never been at a con which had a fanart rule and I just don't get why making it 50/50 would make it any more legal. In a way I can understand having a "no fanart at all" rule (even though it sucks) but why on earth would any copyright holder who actually cares go "oh only half of it is infringing so it's okay"? It seems so arbitrary.

>> No.8565753

>>8565744
Exactly why it's a BS rule. One fanart, all fanart, it doesn't matter if the company wants to take it down. It's just another way to harass artists and for Otakon, another way to make people pay $1000 for an all fanart table (yea, how's THAT for the legality argument)

>> No.8565756

>>8565724
>http://mllemensonges.tumblr.com/post/127120394998/update-i-have-found-the-table-where-this-print
They updated saying they found out who it was, but didn't leave a number/name.

>> No.8565764

>>8565653
>>8565665
>>8565669
>>8565687
Thanks for the input!
It's pretty boring to see solid-colored BG prints everywhere, I'm not very strong at scenes but I think my stuff could be nicer with a themed background.

>> No.8565771

>>8561429
is this the website anon?
http://bgd.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-800627033/Acrylic_Craft_Gift_Items.html

>> No.8565785
File: 107 KB, 950x487, artist_alley_101_by_blix_it-d50z3qu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what are fast and easy ways for a beginner to set up a few prints and buttons? i plan on selling more in the long run but i need them soon, any suggestions anons?

>> No.8565862

>>8565458
>scientist girl who makes a monster boyfriend/girlfriend

The FxF option is implied right there. reading comprehension bruh

>> No.8565952

What do you feel about artists who lied about what they made? I bought something an artist said she made to find it on aliexpress for 1usd, I paid 15 for what I thought was artist work.

>> No.8565958

>>8565952
I'd call them out on it and smear their name into the dirt.

>> No.8565964

>>8565952
Chantilly?

>> No.8565968

>>8565964
Dear god how did you know

>> No.8565972

>>8565952
>>8565964
>>8565968
DEETS
E
E
T
S

>> No.8565977

Tim plz I want to see your Zayn charm but the email address you put in the last thread doesn't work, idk if there's some code to posting addresses online to avoid it registering as bad like Artspig does but if there is I don't know how to translate it

>> No.8565980

>>8565972
She sells at local fl cons, I doubt if she's made any of her wares. Might of made some of her headpieces, but most of her jewerly is reselling at a high mark up. Irks me is that she says she makes the stuff by hand. Being a vendor and being an artist seller is vastly different.

>> No.8565984

>>8565952
To be quite fair, it could be that they outsourced their art or whatever to taobao/ali and the chinks just started selling it themselves
happened to a few people who wanted to print washi tape

>> No.8565992

>>8565977
wh-whaaaaat. That's so weird! Do you have a tumblr? You can message me there! t1mco at tumblr

>> No.8566001

>>8565980
Honestly I thought she bought findings and such and at least put them together, but no most is just premade stuff already together.

>> No.8566009
File: 132 KB, 499x561, 1D charms.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8565977
oh wait duh I can just post what it looks like here. Single-sided wooden charms, about 2" tall

>> No.8566028

>>8566009
I'm not a 1D fan but I like Zayn for the looks and also I'm really curious about the guy with a frog like what's up with that.

Also, nice art. Sorta wish I was a bandwhore.

>> No.8566053

>>8565964
>>8565968
I'm not sure why my trip dropped on mobile, but anyways. I was tabled next to her at Metrocon. I got a good look at her stuff, and how she treated her aunt/grandmother? It was awful. She was constantly leaving to attend panels while making the old woman sell her stuff.

>> No.8566077

>>8566009
Tumblr messaged ya, shit's kawaii

>> No.8566102
File: 245 KB, 500x478, frogface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8566028
Harry Styles is a happy little frog, please see attached evidence.

..... I dunno there are weird fandom jokes and Directioners get insanely hype about shipping but it's not bad if you can swallow the feelings of acute self-deprecation at every concert with fifty thousand screaming high school girls.

>> No.8566256

>>8565323
Who is this person? Can I have a link to their blog? I'm pretty good with concrit

>> No.8566259

>>8566053
http://chantilly.storenvy.com/

is it this person?

>> No.8566265

>>8566259
Yea. All aliexpress charms with new chains added.

>> No.8566269
File: 40 KB, 500x382, tumblr_inline_nap1p9UH831qipx5u.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Artist Alley table costs that don't include the artist's badge
why not simply say the table is $45 more? what are you going to do, buy the table and not buy yourself admittance?

>> No.8566303

>>8565706
>>8565724
http://badlyplanned.tumblr.com/post/126146001836/otakuthon-day-1-is-over-but-you-can-still-come

Found em

>> No.8566313
File: 136 KB, 1200x1200, MTE5NDg0MDU0ODgyNTg0MDc5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8565756
>>8566303

I wonder how much of their art is actually theirs?

>> No.8566314

>>8566303

If you look closely you can see they photoshopped out their watermark. Scumbag

>> No.8566321

>>8566303
Looks like there were 3 artists sharing the table according to their blog. I wonder which is the culprit.

>> No.8566324

>>8566303
>DO NOT REPOST WITHOUT PERMISSION / DO NOT EDIT MY ART
as they steal someone else's art
kek

>> No.8566329

>>8566324
>>8566321
>>8566303
I dunno, looking at that, some of those prints actually match what's on their blog. It was probably one of their table partners.

>> No.8566331

>>8566321
>>8566329
I think so too. I doubt they were selling their own art and then some stolen stuff on top.

>> No.8566333

>>8566329
yeah thats what i was thinking
the art on their blog is consistent
if they really split a table with 2 other people i doubt they would be the one stealing.
hope ya'll aren't sending them shitty messages...

>> No.8566339
File: 186 KB, 320x301, 543y34.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8566333
They were sharing the table with
http://rendoodads.tumblr.com/

and
http://ho-damn.tumblr.com/

>> No.8566481
File: 31 KB, 573x175, p15.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is pretty unprofessional, especially if she's about to go post about her stupid kickstarter on sunday

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1586864085/ani-plus-sized-nerd-fashion

>> No.8566485
File: 76 KB, 679x371, cee039f35cd3b6348db16343917400af_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8566481
all the patterns are horrendous and Paige proves to us that death fats can do nothing right

>> No.8566497

>>8564884
Maki and Nico look WAY better, congrats anon. You've done the impossible.

>> No.8566506

>>8565323
Looks like Elsa taking a dump. That aside, the proportions are way off, the arms/hands make no sense, and the fact that this is a wip does little to hide the fact that the end product will be as bad as the anatomy. If she fixes the eyes and does something about the hands, it'll at least distract from the rest.

>> No.8566516

>>8566481
...why is she kick-starting what so many other people already just do from their own funds?

>> No.8566546
File: 538 KB, 600x927, tumblr_noo01pX3af1qjtsgko1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8563540

>> No.8566574

>>8566485
Fuck her clothing ideas don't even look flattering as drawings. I mean I do think there's issues with some plus size clothing (just making it larger won't make it work) but god she's just making everyone look bad.

Fuck that girl so much.

>>8566546
I can just smell the "Yeah I grew out of drawing anime style" from here.

>> No.8566596

>>8566574
im surprised she has so many backers, would anyone actually wear those patterns no matter what size?

>> No.8566610

>>8566269
possibly hoping if you don't get the table you'll still attend the con with the separate ticket you've purchased?

>> No.8566621

>>8566269
Metrocon did that...but then, the AA was in an open area where badges weren't required.

>> No.8566662

>>8566265
Some of the stuff at her physical both are just being sold as how she bought them. Premade necklaces, idk if she is trying to make her own stuff now? I saw her adding mismatched beads on the online ones.

>> No.8566694

>>8566269
I'm pretty sure it's because of organizational issues, like admissions doesn't want their money from artist alley, they want it with their pool only. It would be too complicated for some cons who were organized in certain ways to do it because of how their system is set up. Likewise with those who offer two badges automatically when I only need one ugh.

>> No.8566853

>>8566485
>>8566546
Can we talk about AA people we can't stand, or ones with hideous art where you can't believe they still do this?

I don't have any but thumbcramps because I'm new to the scene. It's just like god...I think drawing a skinny white cis girl would literally kill her.

>> No.8566871
File: 83 KB, 495x331, Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 11.09.28 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wish there was a way to filter posts to only get actual art content in AANI. I don't want this shit clogging my feed, but I still want to get relevant content. Are the mods just lazy? It seems they're much more anal about making sure you post your WIPW during the right time block than keeping off-topic shit out of the group.

>>8566853

I can't stand Carl Martin, or any cosplayer selling pictures of themselves in AA honestly. Take that shit to the dealer's room. Same for obvious taobao resellers or things that are clearly not handmade. There's a cosplay shop tabling in AA at a local con coming up soon, and all they have are replica dresses and stolen fanart in their store. Why are they in AA?!

>> No.8566880

>>8566853
post your art

>> No.8566896

Would it be really tacky/gross of me to make and sell cutesy Monster Musume stuff? Is it less gross if I'm a girl? Would anyone believe me if I said I just like the character designs?

I need a moral compass, mine's broken obviously.

>> No.8566909

>>8566896
Draw whatever you want. It's not your job to justify it to others, and people that would probably say shit wouldn't say it to your face in the alley, just in passing. The only people you'll get approaching you about it are fans or people that are like, "Oh hey, I've heard of that show". Plus, there's been MM fanart in AANI and it's all been really well received.

>> No.8566961

>>8566880
Why? I can't criticize other people if I'm not top-notch myself?

Back to AANI with you

>> No.8566970

Just as a general question, when it comes to fanmade merchandise, what kind of things would you guys like to see more of?

>> No.8566976

>>8566970

useful things - pouches, card holders, etc.

>> No.8566988

has anyone tried ordering vograce's clear charms yet? i'm really interested in them but seeing the close-up pics made me think twice because of the irregular and tiny but noticeable white border around the designs.

>> No.8566997

>>8566961
Exactly.

Nice try, I'm not a member of that hugbox.

>> No.8567008

>>8566997
You talk as if it's hard to beat thumbcramps ugly art.

>> No.8567012

So uh
Update on vograce clear charms. My friend was pointing out how the acrylic used was low quality and seemed weak and I decided to give a stress test. I snapped the Eli sample in half (at the neck whoops) with not much force from my hands. Maybe if you go 1 or 1.5 inch it'll be better (Eli was 2 inch).
I can post a pic if necessary but it's pretty straight forward. Broken at the neck, now Eli is Mami.

>> No.8567029

>>8566909

Good point, thanks.

>> No.8567139

>>8566481
no one in the world has infinite clothing options.

>> No.8567143
File: 1.22 MB, 1124x848, Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 3.10.25 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8566976
Seconded. There comes a time when you have enough random trinkets and prints. I would like to see tote bags more or other practical things. Also I am a sucker for jars, cups, and mugs. Not sure where pic related gets their stuff printed but I love the idea of it.

>> No.8567161

>>8566269
I didn't buy admittance to Metrocon when I bought my table, simply because I didn't want to pay for something I had no time to use. if they added the price of it to the tables that would be fine but I would rather they give us a badge that said "Artist" and then let us decide whether we want the weekend pass or not. Or at least a freaking discount on them since 90% of the time we're going to be behind our tables anyway. With an "artist" badge that would have given us some form of identification or at least allowed us into the Vendors room hopefully. I had friends in Vendors and I couldn't visit them or help them with setup because the brute squad would hassle me about not having a pass. At like 8 a.m. during setup when I am being escorted by a Vendor. I understand their suspicion but I would like to avoid that.

>> No.8567169

>>8566871
Report their stolen fanart, please. That shit pisses me off so much. Besides the fact that it's stealing it's just pure laziness. Like selling posters and wall scrolls of badly taken screenshots and stolen fanart.

>> No.8567209

>>8567169

Yeah, it's stolen fanart chibi stickers and then all of their anime posters are stolen art scans. Idk if I can report them to the Better Business Bureau because they're selling illegal goods, really. Idk what their table will be like in AA. They really should be in dealer's, but they have so much bootleg they have no place being in business at all.

It's Cosplay n' Charm in Dallas, TX for reference. Never buy from them.

>> No.8567210

>>8567012
Please post!

>> No.8567261

>>8567209
Report them to the AA head or staff or someone at the con. If they can't be assed to make their own stuff, they have no business being at a con.

>> No.8567285

>>8567143
Tote bags sound good, they also seem very popular right now to use in general so I think people might like to have a cute/nerdy design that isn't too.. out there?

No idea where I could get batches of tote bags made though.

>> No.8567306
File: 1.29 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8567210
Straight across the neck. Probably also some bad designing since it went straight across its weakest spot. If they had maybe put a circle or something in the bg to reinforce that area might've stood up better. Something to keep in mind if you're gonna order from them

>> No.8567323

>>8567306
ELI NOOOO

So...forgive my ignorance, but is this the usual type of charms people have been ordering from Vograce? Or is that something else?

>> No.8567324
File: 60 KB, 585x345, p13.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

paige sure looks a lot like shrek

>> No.8567334

>>8567324
Ok if I'm looking for a partner and I'm specifically into fat body types...
I'll just call them fatasses I guess.

>thumbcramps is so fuckin annoying what does she even do for a job?

>> No.8567345
File: 374 KB, 679x363, 1d2c73654be4e6a50b881a261fbfb3d4_original.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8566485

Ugh the yugioh card design is so poorly done. At first glance I thought they were chocolate squares??

>> No.8567360

>>8567345
most if not all the designs seem pretty half assed when you look closer, the colors are really off putting to me

>> No.8567362

>>8567323
This is a new product. People usually get the paper sandwiched between two acrylic sheets. I don't personally know anyone that has actually ordered these yet, but I am planning on it in the near future so I'll come back with a full review if I ever go through with it.

>> No.8567392
File: 113 KB, 720x720, scared.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

do you ever have too many congoers come up to your table to buy things?
would you like to deter as many of them as possible?

>> No.8567396

Is there any minimum charm amount you have to order at Vograce? I'd like to just start selling acrylic phone straps just to see if they can repay. How much do you pay usually? Thanks!

>> No.8567400

>>8567360

There's not a lot of contrast and the colors don't seem particularly harmonious. The patterns are very dense too, almost too dense. They read as a clusterfuck instead of an aesthetically pleasing pattern. But I didn't really expect high quality pattern design from her.

>> No.8567401

>>8567392
>selling shit wire statues
i don't think they have to worry about having too many congoers buying that

>> No.8567404

>>8566596
They're ugly patterns, some are almost cute.

>> No.8567406

>>8567396

Nope! No minimum. I ordered 50 charms back in May and they were like $.89 each + shipping (double acrylic, but single side printing). I ordered 280 charms a week ago and they were $.66 each (double acrylic, double side printing). Coco prices it out based on how many you want. I think to really get your money's worth on shipping you should order at least 25. She also will send samples if you want to get a better look.

The only minimum is if you want a custom colored strap, and then you have to order 1000.

>> No.8567412

>>8567406
Thanks for your reply! Wow it's great because I'm just about to start selling them so I'd like to order like 50. When you ordered them, the price was just for one design or it's possible to order few design and there will be the same price for each one?
Was shipping expensive, did you get any customs?

>> No.8567423

>>8567360
I'm not even concerned about the up-close. Fom a distance; from a distance that people would be viewing your clothes at, they look gross and unappealing from all accounts. Colors, designs, shape choices, contrast, etc.

>> No.8567427

>>8567360
Could she have spent any less time/effort on these, jesus christ.

>> No.8567428

>>8567412

You're welcome.

You can order 50 charms and have 50 different designs. Coco is awesome. I think for the 280 I ordered I had about 25 different designs maybe? For me, the first time shipping was like $18, the second time shipping was $55. I went with DHL both times, so it would be decently quick (like a week - week and a half) but not rush. I didn't get any customs, yet. I've never been hit with those fees for anything I've ordered overseas.

I don't know if any other anons have had this happen again recently, but I didn't get a proof picture of the actual charms. I got the proof pic of the outlines, but didn't see the charms before they were shipped. Not a huge issue because I trust that they'll turn out okay (hopefully).

>> No.8567429

>>8567362
Ah okay! Thanks!

>> No.8567430

>>8566485
$10 gets you smartphone wallpapers. Fucking lol at least include a microfiber screen cleaner or something, shit.

>> No.8567432

>>8567430
and $100 gets you a "one-on-one art critique"

I'm fucking dying.

>> No.8567448

>>8567432
>"make her fatter"
>"make her darker"
>"give her a big fat potato nose and round soulless eyes"
>"ok there perfect"

>> No.8567452

>>8567401
thatsthejoke.jpeg

>> No.8567465

>>8567432
it says on the kickstarter that she graduated from art school. i can't even believe that.

>> No.8567467

>>8567465
Art school just isn't what it used to be. I went to scad and a good 50% of the people that graduated with me aren't shit.

>> No.8567469

>>8567406
how long do they usually take to ship out.

>> No.8567472

>>8567465
>>8567467
I'm an animation major and it doesn't cover even one art class of any kind; life drawing or other.

>> No.8567473

>>8567469
about 3-7 days after confirming sample photos. She'll give you a heads up on their current production load if you ask her what the lead time will be.

>> No.8567475
File: 161 KB, 680x267, 2c7e218b4c7e7b5ee7b5e0225668ba0b_original.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I feel like a lot of 'artists' need to take a color check test to see if they're even able to distinguish between neon green and this.. hot pea vomit that was picked. I'm sorry Paige if you're reading this, but you need to revamp these a lot more before anyone pays money for them. Post to your facebook friends even if you need help with it. But please do not get these designs printed until the colors have been corrected for fabric printing.

>> No.8567480

>>8567475
Wait did she say it was supposed to be neon? It would certainly be a better fit...

>> No.8567484

>>8567475
don't even help her. let her fail.

>> No.8567487

>>8567484
She's already raised over $1000 in a couple days.

>> No.8567492

>>8567487
that doesn't mean the product won't look bad

>> No.8567499

>>8567487
Watch her backers get their items and absolutely hate the quality. I wonder where she's getting them made.

>> No.8567504

>>8567492
It'll look awful, but from a business standpoint, that's far from a failure. She'll probably retreat in her hugbox where she'll never hear any negativity about her items, and keep on believing that she's an incredible and revolutionary artist because she panders to fatasses.

>> No.8567507

>>8567467
Agreed. I've met some SCAD grads and I'm not impressed. I went to a different/worse for-profit art school and most of my classmates' work was garbage.

>> No.8567511

>>8567465
Tfw I went to school with her

>> No.8567512

>>8567465
It's Columbus College of Art and Design. It's down the road from me, I've actually toured there before and it seems good enough and reputable. So maybe her works for school were different from this AA crap...?

>> No.8567515

>>8567507
scad doesn't require you to have a portfolio to apply and will accept people who have no art skill at all. I think this is great, but they also grade on personal improvement levels. You can come in absolute shit and graduate mediocre.

>> No.8567518

>>8567512
CCAD anon here, and I can let you know she did indeed use a lot of her Artist Alley stuff for her professional portfolio. The whole illustration major hated her, including the professors because she was so obnoxious.

>> No.8567524

>>8567518
stories plz

>> No.8567528

>>8567515

This is a huge problem with art school and college in general. It's all, "if you pay, you can have your degree" because the standards are low. You could stay in the art program at my undergrad (private liberal arts) with Cs and Ds in some classes.

If you have straight Cs you do not need to be allowed to graduate. You're beyond mediocre and how can you expect to get a job? Art school should be much more realistic with these people and just say, look, you're not doing that well. Consider switching majors or maybe college isn't for you. It drags down everyone if someone with a C has the same degree as me. Yes, they lack all the awards, but still.

>> No.8567530

>>8567524
I don't really have much other than she would harass people on the FB page whenever they were asking for critiques, she once told someone their art was so bad they should just start over from scratch.

>> No.8567531

>>8567499
Arts bovine I bet, because of the sizing (sizing restrictions are the same as Arts Bovine for sizes) and the low overhead for price for wholesale. It cost way more than that to make leggings, especially custom printed ones since if you're not buying an entire bolt of printed fabric it's pricey.

>> No.8567542

>>8567515
>>8567528
>mfw all those poor AI grads with absolutely shit art because there's no entry requirements beyond writing your name and handing over money
>all the poor high schoolers with no ambition who are preyed on by for-profit art schools
>decide this shit school isn't for them
>their credits barely even transfer to other AIs
>fucked by 100k debt for life

I tried to warn people in high school about it. But I didn't harp too much because I didn't want to be an ass. But now I see the stuff they're putting out and it breaks my heart.

>> No.8567545

>>8567542
Yeah my feed is full of old classmates lamenting the giant student loans and lack of gigs. It's pretty depressing. I think I'm doing fairly well for myself and would like to hire them all one day but some of them just don't have the skill.

>> No.8567546

>>8567345
The chartreuse on the eye pattern is really bad. Like, REALLY bad. A pastel pink or orange might have been better, I think.

And the SU and KH patterns look more like she just drew each element of the pattern and copy pasted it whereever.

I get what she's going for with the YGO pattern but I'm not sure why it bothers me. Maybe it would have been better with like a row of cards in attack mode and then a row in defense mode or something?

>> No.8567548

Glad to see I'm in /ic/'s art school threads, but with less pretentious bullshitting.
Either way reading these type of stories makes me feel nervous since I'm working on getting into game art (in a school with at least some portfolio standards so that's something) because I don't want to look back and feel like I missed my chance.

>> No.8567573

>>8567546
Yeah, the cards could be cool if they were done in a border pattern; or how lolita prints are done on dresses. Once you copy and paste stuff, densely, across the whole piece, it's annoying and overwhelming. And Artsc0w lets you design every aspect so using a pattern excuse doesn't apply.

>> No.8567586

>>8567542

Yeah. Unless you are studying something that can guarantee there is at least jobs that directly relate to your major, or you're willing to really work hard to carve out a career for you (art jobs do exist for the fine arts, and it's not just teaching), don't go to art school or study art. There's nothing wrong with loving art and doing it as a hobby. But college is to prepare you for a career and life. Studying art because you like art isn't right. Study art because you want it as a career, then be prepared to do what it takes. If you're not good enough, face the facts.

I could have wanted to be a mathematician all I wanted, but I just didn't get math. At some level, there was no helping me. Same for art. At some point, just say to yourself, "I can love art but not study it seriously." Otherwise you're wasting money and time.

If you do want to study art, the smartest thing is to go to a 4 year university with a good program. Liberal art schools can be pricey, but public ones do exist. Get into a program that requires classical training, so you have a mastery of lots of art skills. This way, there's a fall back within art, and there's a fall back within the university if you decide to get out of the program. They're more likely to have academic scholarships, too. Art schools don't care if you had a killer ACT score and a GPA off the charts.

SCAD would only give me $10k a year and I had a 32 ACT and a 4.3 GPA. My school gave me a full ride, a free trip to France, and I had monthly dinners with the president of the university. I went to the school that treated me better, had an Honors program that was worth something, and didn't cost $40k a year.

>> No.8567594

>>8567586
What year did you apply to scad? I got $15k/year (50% of tuition in 2005) and I had a 31 ACT and 4.0 gpa (couldnt go higher at my high school, though I had plenty of AP classes)

>> No.8567617

>>8567586
This is what I'm doing. I was the anon above who toured CCAD and realized the idea of art school is kinda retarded and settled for an art minor at Ohio State instead. Now I don't have to work on "real" art allllll the time to where Id hate drawing my animus and "comfort" art.

What's also sad is a lot of the AI/SCAD/Full Sail whatever kids are poor to begin with, and now will be even poorer.

I may not be much better though since
>only 25 ACT
>half of a set of twins from upper lower class family both going to school
>no financial aid beyond loans
>lol all my AA stuff goes into savings

>> No.8567618

>>8567586
Last year SCAD gave me $6k a year with a 36 ACT and 3.5 unweighted / 4.2 weighted.
I ended up going to a university for engineering on a full ride and more, absolutely no regrets.

>> No.8567646

>>8567594

2006/2007 and they told me $15k then. By 2008 when I was really narrowing down my choices and making decisions they told me $10k. They sent me a bill for $43,000 and I called them and said, "Nope."

I think things like >>8567618 are terrible. There's no reason someone with a perfect score on the ACT should only get $6k a year. I worked my ass off in high school to get into a good school and get a killer scholarship. SCAD pretty much was telling me I wasn't good enough. My parents had saved for years for me to go to school, but what they saved couldn't pay for 1 year at SCAD. My scholarship at my undergrad for 4 years was less than what 2 years at SCAD would have been. With the money I saved not going to SCAD, I have gone to grad school on my college fund $ and been able to buy a new laptop. I'll have money leftover, even.

A quality education at a 4 year school is way, way worth it. Better academics, better school culture, better opportunities after school. Plus, I still landed my dream job despite having gone to a small liberal arts school that has zero name recognition. There are times that it really shows how limited my design program was (1 professor, only 6 classes needed for your concentration, etc), but in the end, it worked out. I'm debt free, living on my own, and have the job I always wanted, and I'm 25.

>> No.8567693

>>8567546
yeah but can you imagine what pastel pink would look like on 4XL thighs?

>> No.8567701

>>8567345
Those moons are so badly drawn. This just proves tumblr will eat up anything

>> No.8567706

>>8567531
so she's pretty much scamming people

>> No.8567712

>>8567701
Holy shit you're right, those are horrible. And I was thinking that was the one saveable design.

>> No.8567730

>>8567467
No offense, but SCAD isn't really like....a top-tier art school. It's kind of middle ground though because at least they review portfolios.

>> No.8567735

>>8567646
That's because art schools don't give you a decent amount of money unless you are a minority. And by minority I mean black.

>> No.8567740

>>8565785
Cork board for buttons maybe? As for prints, if you don't have much space, try a folder.
Do you already have your stuff made?

>> No.8567748

>>8566546
Her eyelashes look like the Adidas logo.

>> No.8567757

>>8566546
this is like she did one pass on it and then never worked on it again. how can she think that looks okay?

>> No.8567797

>>8567735
I'm white and I got the $15k poetter scholarship, which was the highest listed available at the time. A white friend of mine got a free ride because the admin found out his father died right before he was supposed to start and he apparently wrote a pretty emotionally heavy admissions essay about it.

>> No.8567802

>>8567730
Oh, I know. But I've also seen people leave scad for art center and private ateliers and still come out lacking.

>> No.8567804

>>8567757
This looks one step over oekaki art.

>> No.8567849
File: 283 KB, 924x693, MelissaPagluica.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8567740
some of it yes, but i kind of want it to stand out since there will be a lot of competition, and just putting it on a folder will look kind of sad

>> No.8567871

>>8567706
I wouldn't say it's a scam as everyone pretty much uses them to make their stuff; with any shop that has a 3-4 week wait time uses them. But the designs aren't worth it alone and the sizing is going to be really weird.

>> No.8568023
File: 537 KB, 488x954, Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 7.14.03 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is it just me or is this item from AANI a total copy of these?

https://otakumode.com/shop/537414f38e167f7d06001006/Perler-Bead-Laptop-Clinging-Cats

The TOM page says they're handmade by a Japanese artist and now I feel really weird about it, I want to say something but I’m too scared

>> No.8568026

Where do you guys get your tablecloths? I bought four yards of fabric and overlapped them but they were kind of last minute and it was my first con, I'd like to invest in a nice actual tablecloth but is there anything other than basic dull colors? I was thinking a pattern that isn't too distracting

>> No.8568090

>>8567345
jfc the only one close to being wearable is the gems one, and even then it's so... unbalanced. No color harmony on the sailor moon ones, muddy yugioh weirdness, and who out there would actually want to wear that shade of lime green?

>> No.8568097

>>8567871
i mean because she's kickstarting it and acting like it's more complicated than just ordering from artsbovine. she doesn't need a kickstarter to do that.

>> No.8568106

>>8568023
Oh it's a total copy, but most perlers have less originality than a 12 year old tracing manga in her first sketchbook, so... whatever

>> No.8568168

>>8568167

>> No.8568632
File: 160 KB, 540x763, tumblr_n5grsfVvcI1tnq2cyo1_540.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8563988
Loputyn http://loputyn.tumblr.com

>> No.8570551
File: 86 KB, 600x450, anime_and_cartoon_button_lot_by_capsulecorpbuttons-d417nhl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

so it'll be my first time selling at a con and i have no idea what to price my items.

2.5 buttons should i sell them for either:
$2 each/3 for $5 or
$3 each/2 for $5 ?

and I have no clue for prints that are 11x17
please leave suggestions anons, thanks!