[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 76 KB, 1024x768, Finland_flag-9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8542384 No.8542384 [Reply] [Original]

Keep it clean.

>> No.8542428
File: 468 KB, 500x375, 1369957154358.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Less than 4 weeks to Tracon and it feels like time is already running out.

>> No.8542499

>>8542428
Just confirmed myself a ticket from someone who's not a scalper, feels good.

>> No.8542590
File: 238 KB, 570x549, 1393282716781.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>didn't get Tracon tickets
>con season is almost over
>next big one is Frostbite and it's still several months away

I need more cons in my life. Ever since last Desucon I've had this huge con fever.

>> No.8542637

>>8542590
How about Kosucon? :))

>> No.8544074

The winner of the Cosplay FM contest is going to both NCC and World Cosplay Masters finals. I've never even heard of the latter, but suddenly announcing two international contests for the winner after the entries have been closed makes me wonder if they know what they're doing.

>> No.8544154

>>8544074
It seems that this whole Cosplay SM is a plan to get Ilona to represent finland again as she is only one I know of taking part.

>> No.8544171

>>8544154
Please no... They did say that the entries weren't even filled, didn't they? This contest seems like a train wreck already.

>> No.8544190

>>8544171
Cosvision crew once again failing.

Althou cosvision was good?

>> No.8544207

Eager to see the WCS pairs and their introductions. Hope the quality goes up with the portfolio thingie..

>> No.8544239

>>8544207
Didn't everyone who sent in their portfolio get in? I doubt WCS has that many participants.

>> No.8544247

>>8544239
Last year at least 2 pairs didint get to participate cause the WCS was full. Thought there would be some competition over the spots this year.

>> No.8544274

Oh wow. http://forums.aniki.fi/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16256

>> No.8544288

>>8544190
what do you mean once again failing if you thought Cosvision was good? Have you got some dirt to share?

>> No.8544309

>>8544288
Anon probably meant how they didn't make enough money with Cosvision ticket sales and before that they had to cancel Bakacon. They never advertise their spectacles enough to attract the few customers they could, cosplay is a small hobby and not that many are interested in a purely cosplay-centered event.

>> No.8544332

>>8544309
Ah, that makes sense. But I heard that Bakacon got cancelled because Animecon was put so close to their date, thus ticket sales dropped?
And yeah, the Cosvision money thing was unfortunate but I think they did pretty well considering it was the first time anyone attempted such an event.

>> No.8544340

>>8544274
Just pretend to be gay man and get a free pass, what's not to like?

>> No.8544486
File: 19 KB, 489x334, 52125afd1820081ca60715a0e106321b.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Also this seems odd to me. Winners get plane tickets and tickets to the event but no mention of accommodation?

>> No.8544538

>>8542637
Hey Minorea, nice to know that you're promoting your comicsans furry blog convention also here.

>》Cosplay-blog named Kosupure
> Decide to make own (furry) convention
> ????
> Are you fucking kidding me?

>> No.8544544

>>8544332
But we had a Cosplay Gaala before. And we saw how it did go.

>> No.8544579

>>8544340
I'm baffled at the fact that the person apparently is a female that is serving in the military.

There goes our national defence.

>> No.8544650

>>8544486
>We will pay for your flights and admission, but the accommodation is too much!

Seriously? And the winner of the solo category will go into two crappy international contests. What great prizes.

>> No.8545339

>>8544486
I'm being honest: I am embarrassed that this will be shown in TV. Not because "cosplay is embarrassing"... Because Cosvision have made such a shitty job with advertising. Also these prizes sound ridiculous. God, I'm so sorry to everyone who is going to compete in here.

>> No.8545375

>>8544544
But Gaala was utter shit from the start, they can't really be compared.

>> No.8545384

>>8545339
I had no idea people thought that. What can they do differently ad-wise? From what I see they advertise just as much as any con? My social media power level isn't strong though

>> No.8546358

>>8545339
>>8545384
I was kinda wondering this too. Sure they could have announced the prizes earlier (that was honestly a really bad move on their part) but I'm with the other anon on the advertising as much as other cons. And their target audience is narrower than what general anime/manga/scifi/Tumblr cons normally have.

>>8544650
What would be better then? Yeah NCC is kinda shit but we don't know anything about the other thing yet. At least they seem to have money prize in the final according to their Facebook.

>> No.8546518

>>8545384
>>8546358
Looks like the Cosvision staff finally found this thread. Guys, you're the only ones who defend this wreck. Everybody else either doesn't care or doesn't know about it.

>> No.8546551

>>8546518
I'm >>8545384 and I actually work for Tracon, but since I enjoyed Cosvision I feel baffled.

>> No.8546561

>>8545375
Gaala was shit? I thought it was decent. At least they knew their limits and the volume of the audience. Wasn't the only reason it didn't return for a fourth year because the organizers didn't feel like doing it anymore?

>> No.8546564

Cosvision's (shitty) PR here, hi. Feel free to come at me on Twitter and whine about how salty and butthurt I am. I don't know if the previous few people are ours, and if not, the rest of the gang is free to boil me in oil for responding here.

Anyway, the reason we are making these events is because we believe in them and we genuinely want to make them good for the people we are expecting to attend. This goes for both SM and Cosvision itself. We are keen to receive feedback because we don't want to repeat our or anyone else's mistakes, but it's kinda hard to do wnything with "it's a wreck", "your advertising is shit" and "you always fail". I get that it's /cgl/ so there's not much point in asking for constructive criticism (especially since "no one cares"), but just in case anyone is feeling generous: please elaborate. It's not your job to do our marketing or plan our events for us, but feedback is always nice, be it negative or positive.

>> No.8546568

>>8546564
Did you seriously think it was a good idea to give -two- international contests to the solo winner months -after- they have applied for the contest?

>> No.8546601

>>8546568
The scheduling should have been better but unfortunately it was out of our hands due to negotiations with the partner events. The applicants were informed of the second contest prior to the official announcement.

If you are one of the contestants who has applied, and feel that this is a problem, do contact us and we'll talk it out. It is obvious that two international contests IS a tough deal, but we are more than willing to help the winner out every step of the way.

So no, announcing them this late wasn't ideal, but yes, having the winner go to two different contests is something we think is pretty great.

>> No.8546608

>>8546568
>>8546601
Oh, and the NCC spot was actually announced June 18, which was BEFORE the original application deadline.

>> No.8546630

>>8546564
Have you tried promoting the event at conventions? I can't remember seeing anything related to the event at any con that i've gone to.

>> No.8546633

>>8546564
I'm dumbfounded that this "FM" is held in Gloria. Wasn't there any better place where you could pull this up? Stage is ridiculously small and narrow, and it' s hard to make a decent looking performance there like in Desucon or Tracon. I have been in Gloria couple of time and it's really awful to make solo performance, and more hideous to make group.
Why two finals? Why you wouldn't stick up just with one? And are you going to pay group winners accommodation to Expo? What are the other prizes? Why all the deadlines for the portfolio made that early? Only those who have their costumes done could practice, why? And why you opened your competition entry without portfolio? Did cosvision ask from other conventions that they can held FM? Why there aren't any invited guests in competition like Sweden has? Why we should buy the tickets when this is shown in TV? What if there aren't enough cosplayers in competition? What if everyone drop out? ETC. ETC. ETC.

This is what I call bad advertising. There are too many questions hanging around. I don't want to hear your answers here. These sort of things should been taken as a feedbacks and try to develop advertising. It's also really bad advertise if you come here, telling that we who wants to talk about FM without showing who we are, quote: "Feel free to come at me on Twitter and whine about how salty and butthurt I am. I don't know if the previous few people are ours, and if not, the rest of the gang is free to boil me in oil for responding here.". We don't want to whine how "salty" you are, we just want to talk our own opinions. If you get so fired up because some annon talked "bad things" of your advertising, I don't think that you're suited to be working in conventions.

>> No.8546718

>>8546630
Cosvision has had a table at most Finnish conventions and we have promoted SM since January.

>> No.8546722

>>8546633
>Wasn't there any better place where you could pull this up?
We chose Gloria, because their staff is easy to work with, they have experience with working with cosplay events and they have the tech that allows for easy filming.

>Why two finals? Why you wouldn't stick up just with one?
Because we're greedy! No, really, though, we wanted to try and see if having two finals as the main prize would be fun. I personally would be thrilled to have the honour of going to two different international contests

>And are you going to pay group winners accommodation to Expo?
We are looking into different options but at the moment, no. It's a matter of budgeting.

>What are the other prizes?
To be announced.

>And why you opened your competition entry without portfolio?
We still ask for applicants to send links to their previous work, so that we can evaluate it like we would an actual portfolio.

>Did cosvision ask from other conventions that they can held FM?
This is Cosvision's project.

>Why there aren't any invited guests in competition like Sweden has?
Cosvision itself has a competition for invited guests and we wanted to open up SM for more potential participants. How things will be in the future remains to be seen.

>Why we should buy the tickets when this is shown in TV?
You don't have to buy tickets if you don't want to. You are free to watch the show on TV, just as you are free to watch every concert or other such event that is televised: some people prefer to see the thing live, some prefer to watch it t home.

>Why all the deadlines for the portfolio made that early?
>What if there aren't enough cosplayers in competition? What if everyone drop out?
This is an unbelievably unlikely situation, but one of the reasons we wanted to have people send in their portfolios so early was to make sure that people are actually committed to the competition, and would be less likely to drop out.

>> No.8546739

>>8546722
I guess the poster wanted to knoq if Cosvision had notified other cons about holding the event. You know, as a courtesy. Finnish Championships is a pretty weighty title for a competition.

>> No.8546760

>>8546739
We discussed it with other event organisers at Concon in November 2014. We received no objections.

I assume, and this is purely personal speculation, that since other events focus mainly on things other than cosplay, and only have a set percentage of their convention schedule reserved for cosplay related events/panels/whatnot, it was only natural that an event like this would be organised by Cosvision, since we are the only Finnish event/organisation aimed at cosplayers or people interested in cosplay.

>> No.8546824

>>8546760
That's assuring to hear. Hoping your event Goes well.

>> No.8547326

Poor Cosvision PR baby... I wish you didn't had answered this topic. It makes you look rather desperate... I have this image that Cosvision is all about ~drama~ and gossip when in reality, like in this case, worst stuff that happens is a couple of negative comments somewhere in the internet. Most of the people (both reading this and in overall con scene) is quite chill and feeling "whatever." That whatever is your problem. Not literally one or two bored and catty people in /cgl/. My guess is that there isn't simply enough interest for cosplay only event in Finland.

>> No.8547342

I've been trying to think about those FM prizes..

Personally I want to compete more. But the FM contest sadly doesn't give me any want to participate in that contest near future.

Winning prizes are trip to places and more contests and all. I would be horrified. Working people can't just travel around the world so many times in one year. It doesn't look good and bosses start to hate you.
The cash prizes from BatMUD Assembly cosplay contests haunts me. Winning prize was 1000e. That is big. That is something useful.

>> No.8547502

>>8547342
All of this. I'd rather take the prize money than spend my year running from one competition to another. International finals are always a huge hassle for the contestant and two of them in a year are too much for anyone. You need to make a costume and a performance and plan your work hours to fit the finals, two of these in a year seems more like a punishment than a prize. And what if you can't afford the accommodation for JE for one reason or another?

>>8547326
I was thinking the same thing. The seagulls complaining here aren't their problem, their problem is that nobody is interested in their event. They didn't even get enough applications for their portfolio search.

>> No.8547658

>>8547342
And everyone who have been competing overseas have said that they stressed themselves and many of them needed even weeks to recover from finals. Not to say that one final cost months to hard work (except Ilona). I though that Rimppu and Iris would known this better, but maybe they thought that it's more fun to themselves than to participants.

I really hope that Ilona would win this mess: She travels all the time and she works her costumes only couple weeks. Also it's seems that she doesn't care about her job nor family when she only makes costumes on her freetime and travels alone. Perfect participant to two finals.

>> No.8547682

>>8546564
Learn to endure the negative comments, that's a part of being con organizer. You'll make more mess if you add fuel to the fire.

>> No.8547705
File: 1.03 MB, 500x281, 1411909323853.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Got Tracon tickets but not cosplaying.

>tfw attending cosplay conventions because I want to be surrounded by pretty cosplayers
>tfw can't cosplay because of body insecurity
>tfw I mentally compare my face to other cosplayers and think I look better
>tfw fucking insecure beta bitch

Yep. It is con season alright.

>> No.8547737

I'm going to sound like a bullshit corporate asshole consultant but here goes anyway.

Cosvision's issue is the lack of a brand. Brand is essentially what creates hype and builds excitement. Brand is also what people talk about you and your event when you aren't there to hear it - or what people write here.

Desucon has a brand: they're the elitist assholes who hate cosplayers and underage tumblrinas but create good events. Like it or not, you have an opinion about them. Like Apple, some love it some hate it but you DO know what it is.

Tracon's brand is weaker but they are essentially the biggest, shiniest, everything for the masses sort of thing and that alone is perhaps their brand and creates hype.

Cosvision and the SM contest has nothing. The most negative or positive thing anyone can think of is that "no one is interested". Past failings with Bakacon or lukewarm success with Cosvision ticket sales do not help the issue, since that is the only thing people associate with the SM event.

Create more hype and make a fuss! Just having a table at every con and occasionally posting FB updates does not cut it. It could be just enough to sustain an event that already has established history and brand, but creating a new event from nowhere takes a lot of work.

>> No.8549046

>>8547658
For Ilona putting effort into her costume and performance and representing her country isn't what's important, it's about how much attention she gets herself.

>> No.8549051

>>8547705
Only ugly people do that.

>> No.8549070

>>8549051
Only ugly people compare their looks to other people?

>> No.8549091

>>8549070
and think they're prettier, yes

>> No.8549311

>>8549091

Welp. I posted that. I'm far from ugly but my body insecurity makes me compare myself with cosplayers who have nice bodies but butterfaces. I am admitting to that and I am under no delusion. Pretty sure a lot of people do the same shit regardless of gender. I not even bashing other people either. Just mentioned how I feel about con season in particular.

>> No.8549641

>don't keep up with TCG for a while
>come here
>like 10 new Japanese minisets, EX's, new mechanic and stuff

Well, then. Anything else I should know?

>> No.8549952
File: 220 KB, 500x750, tumblr_nd9pnoE6tK1tbpdrno1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Let's try to give this thread something positive: Post your favorite cosplayer here!

> Pic related: Pure cinnamon roll

>> No.8549975

Any info on the WCS participants this year?

>>8549952
It's the samefag posting the same cosplays and the same people in every Finland thread.

>> No.8550966

>>8549975
They're posting the participants here: (facebook)/WCSTeamFinland?fref=ts

I think it's a nice touch, we get to know who's who and even the lesser known competitors get their names out there. So far only three pairs though, but I guess there's more to come.

>> No.8551006

>>8549975
Why are people so butthurt about the pictures? What harm does it to post them even if they are the same? There aren't that many cosplayers in Finland and even less really good ones. No surprise that the same faces come up again and again. Pictures make these threads more lively. What's so bad about that? It doesn't affect the conversation that much but keeps it a bit more COSPLAY centered. Not some con staff war board.

If your sandy ass gets itchy by people posting same old cosplay pictures then you have problems.

>> No.8551121

What the f is the problem with seeing old photos in these threads? It happens in every single /cgl thread ever and all the time. Calm down.

>> No.8551127
File: 771 KB, 1200x800, tumblr_nd56yt0pKa1r0wmx8o2_r1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Her craftsmanship makes me hnnnngh so much, quality = A+ every time.

>> No.8551167

>>8551006
>>8551121
>one short comment
>calm your sandy vagina down and get help for your problems!!!
Never change, /cgl/.

>> No.8551171

>>8551167
>calm down = get help for your problems

Oh you

>> No.8551196

Not quite sure if social media is the right place to introduce the WCS participants. I would've prefered a section on Tracon's own site for introductions and revealed them all at the same time. Then start postin hype about the participants to social media.
Must be fun for the wcs pairs to see that the introductions are getting uneven amount of likes XDD 29, 8 and 39 likes

>> No.8551264

>>8551196
I also thought this was kind of a thoughtless thing to do. It sounds nice and fun at first, but undeniably it is a bit depressing for some pairs to compare the attention received by them to some of the more popular and well-known contestants.

>> No.8551313

>>8551264
Yes, and the participants are revealed at different time which leaves more time to hype the once that were revealed 1st.
Not to mention that this years judges are friends with some of the participants.. Hope that doesn't affect the judging.

>> No.8551368

>>8551313
WCS has always been about judges letting their friends win. That's something everyone has to deal with.

>> No.8551439

>>8551368
How do you explain the twins winning a few years ago.

>> No.8551453

>>8551439
Only 4 pairs took part and theirs was the only decent one that could win without calling rigged. The fit Ilona threw after it was delicious.

>> No.8551477

So anyone interested in Tracons program? Anything you're already planning on going to check out?

>> No.8551507

>>8551196
With the mental health problems an average cosplayer has, I'm not surprised if one team withdraws because low number of likes.

>> No.8551593

>>8551453
You have any summary of the Ilona case or is there a place where I could read about it? Kinda hungry for the Fin cosplay drama.

>> No.8551632

Gonna go there and also in cosplay. Loud yelling yaoi-man is my bro, I hope he has lot of touhou shit for me this year too.

Hopefully I see some of the other fucks that have ruined my life so I can deck 'em in the face.

>> No.8551637

>>8547737
>Desucon has a brand: they're the elitist assholes who hate cosplayers
Yeah they hate cosplayers so much they have pretty much the best services for cosplayers with their dressing rooms

>> No.8551862

>>8551593
>Didn't applaud the winners
>Cried on stage because they didn't win and got 2nd place instead
>Refused to shake hands with the judges
>Wrote a long butthurt blog post how they put so much effort into their costumes and performance, how they were the best pair in the whole competition and deserved to win etc.

FYI her costume was really bad too.

>> No.8551885

>>8551637
Desu's dressing rooms are definitely the nicest and while I like Tampere-talo as a venue more, their dressing room for people who won't compete is a hellhole. The air inside gets really hot and stuffy (I don't think there are any windows either) and it was so packed last year I barely had the space to stand, never again

>> No.8551961

What is there to look forward to in Tracon?

I have a ticket but I am having second thoughts because I'd have to drive a few hours and pay for a hotel.

>> No.8551971

>>8551862
What did she cosplay in that competition?

>> No.8551978

>>8551885
The air in Desucon's dressing room is very hot too. At least when I have visited it.

>> No.8552035

>>8551632

That man has been in all the cons I have been to.

>> No.8552143
File: 220 KB, 1600x1066, WCS-93.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8551971

>> No.8552218

>>8552143
I see. I wasn't aware of her back then

>> No.8553833

Two international competitions in a row and the Finns are the ones complaining and bitching afterwards.

>> No.8553953

>>8553833
NCC bitching I think was totally called for but Rullarinkeli's WCS bitching sounds so much like the bitching of an entitled brat who thinks everything should always revolve around her. The blog posts have been super cringe-y to read.

>> No.8554011

>>8553953
Same, the NCC aftermath is justified and other countries did that too but Rullarinkeli made me cringe.

>> No.8554485

I'm enjoying Ilona's delicious butthurt over this thread. Also I'm not sure if calling a finland thread 'Ilona thread' is really neccessary.

>> No.8554498

>>8553953
>>8554011
Sounds like she was jealous that NCC got all the attention because of the drama and now she tried to find things to bitch about so she'd get even a portion of the attention the NCC representatives got. Her blog posts sounds so similar to what people have written about NCC that it just comes off as a desparate cry of "look at me I was mistreated too abloobloo".

>> No.8554507

>>8553953
I thought that having Twins in WCS was embarrassing, but god I was wrong. These two were far more worse to follow up in social media and Rullarinkeli just bitched and whined about everything.

>> No.8554515

>>8554485
Honestly though I sometimes wonder if there are people with personal vendatta against Ilona here. Come on, you don't have to bitch about everything she does or doesn't do. You come off as stalkerish.

>> No.8554523

>>8554498
I agree. She didn't even give any encouragement to this year NCC team. If I remember correctly, this year WCS-team never said anything to NCC-team, even though NCC-team cheered them loudly.

>> No.8554545

seems like huilailee uses cgl a lot if she even has dreams about it

>> No.8554547

>>8554507
THIS. You get to go to Japan and then whine about everything. And how can she be that suprised that WCS is not a serious competition and more about the pr and the show, everyone knows that!

>> No.8554554

>>8554545
No shit Sherlock, I post here all the time. I've been wary about posting to in progress threads lately though, which I used to do all time in around 2009-2010 I think. I post to lolita threads too and buy cheap shit linked in Aliexpress threads.

For the record in my dream you anons said that I was entitled, shy, introverted and overall an unpleasant person to hang out with. Not that far off from reality I guess.

>> No.8554630

Finland threads are so slow to update and when they do it's always petty dramu and people revealing their identities and power levels. Stay classy, Finland.

>> No.8554692

>>8554630
right. so does anyone know who this (' v ') person is?

>> No.8554714

>>8554692

No idea. Possibly Soro though

>> No.8554729

I dare you people to say good things about someone. Go on, you can't do it.

>> No.8554753

>>8554729

YumiKoyuki has the best Flemeth/ Witch of the Wilds cosplay I have ever seen. All those fucking details, man!

There. I said something good about someone. And it's something genuine.

>> No.8554766

>>8554714
>>8554692
Ahaha-haa... No, don't compare me to that person. I would be offended if this was said to me irl.

My identity is not important.

>> No.8554773

>>8554729
I think that Iris is the most sweetest and most caring Head of the cosplay in Finland.

>> No.8554784

>>8554766
Hi Siiri

>> No.8554787

>>8554714
i don't think that's a possibility. (' v ') person's english is worse

>> No.8554800

>>8554766
If your identity wasn't important, you'd be Anonymous like the rest of us.

>>8554485
wow, talk about selfcentered.

>> No.8554802

>>8554784
Nice try but no.

>> No.8554817

Oh I do love the drama. Especially since everywhere else everyone is all smiles and niceties.

>> No.8554822

>>8554817
I'm afraid you won't find delicious drama here. Everyone is trying to dig and provoke, but no one actually delivers.

>> No.8555981

>>8554729

Miro organized Cosvision cosplay contests really well for a first-timer! Even though there's some controversy now about the Cosplay SM I'm sure the contests themselves will be handled well.

>> No.8556022

>>8554729
I'm really glad how cons in Finland are well organized. I also love how Finnish cosplayers value craftsmanship, and how the level of skits have actually gone up these past few years. There's always the occasional yaowee-skits but they're in the minority now.

But to go to individual people: I'm really proud of our NCC teams! All of them have done their best work to the finals, and I am proud of Päivi for winning last year. I also usually like Ilona's prelim costumes, I just wish that when/if she is selected to the finals of international competitions, she would make the costumes with that same dedication there.

On to the negatives... I'm pretty sure I know like half of the people posting here. Most are probably the vocal mediocre/bad cosplayers from Twitter, like nukkelapsi or skenejeesus/Bardiel. There's occasional Rimppus and huilailees but I think most of this thread is filled with angry mediocre cosplayers who rarely get even costumes done but still feel they have superiority over everyone... Which I guess would be an average seagull anyway.

>> No.8556112

>>8556022
so you are saying that she wasn't dedicated when she made the Saber Alter for WCS or Bayonetta for ECC? Please collaborate more

>> No.8556130

>>8556112
Haven't seen that saber, but her bayonetta was shit.

>> No.8556170
File: 117 KB, 1024x749, benis.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

B E N I S
E
N
I
S

>> No.8556236

>>8556112
Didn't she start making her Bayonetta three weeks before the finals?

>> No.8556348

>>8554507
I actually liked twins' cosplays. Their skit was just cringeworthy awful.
I saw the bunny one (Can't remember her name) in Frostbite few years ago and it was pretty well made.

>> No.8556370
File: 68 KB, 628x960, 1960821_690510651063559_5569537891007185071_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8556348
... Okay I checked it again since I was talking about my memories while I was writing that.
The suit is awesome and well made. Shame about the wig. Not the best choice.
Anyway me rambling here just saying I liked their cosplays the most compared to other Fin WCS reps.

>> No.8556389

>>8556370
their wigs are usually top-notch

>> No.8556406

Many of Finland's representatives are better than most Finnish cosplayers. But they are not even close to the international level.

Hiron and Majo have been the best ones. I don't care for the twins 'cause their skits don't have much originality to them.

>> No.8556459

>>8556370
>>8556389
Their wigs and costumes ARE incredible but unfortunately the twins themselves are so socially awkward and cringeworthy that they do a terrible job at the "representing" part. It was especially bad at WCS because WCS is less about the costumes and more about PR so in that sense they were a terrible choice for it.

>> No.8556653

Was anyone at Chibicon? How was the cosplay contest?

>> No.8556820

>>8554766
what matters is our plan

>> No.8556834

>>8556820
????

>> No.8557027

>>8556834
I want summer to be over

>> No.8557038

>>8557027
>not knowing a quote that isn't really used in cgl
>summer
>k

>> No.8558067

>>8557038
>????
>not summer
>greentexting k
k

>> No.8558273

>>8554515
>Honestly though I sometimes wonder if there are people with personal vendatta against Ilona here.
Or maybe she doesn't have a reputation as good as you think.

>> No.8558290

Who is this Ilona? What's the deal with her and what does she look like? Does she have a page on FB or something? I am genuinely curious now.

>> No.8558328

>>8558290
Go to fb and write "ilona cosplay" you should find her page. She also has a blog. I don't know why these ppl are shitting on her stuff though...

>> No.8558335

>>8556370
I frikking loved this costume! I had a pic of it but I accidentally deleted it! I'm kinda sad about the wig though..

>> No.8558337

>>8558273
Is she done leeching on this year's WCS team already?

>> No.8558345

>>8558290
He FB page is IlonaCosplay. I don't thing she is that bad that everyone says.

>> No.8558366

>>8558345
>>8558328

Thanks! She's much older than I expected though. Based on what was written here you'd think she was a spoiled bitch in her late teens, but she looks motherly.. I think. Is that her daughter in the Eiko cosplay?

>> No.8558377

>>8558290
She's not a human monster as cgl makes her out to be. However she has a bad habit of attaching herself to whoever/whatever is in the spotlight at the moment in order to get attention herself.

>> No.8558383

>>8558377

How old is she?

>> No.8558387

>>8558383
I guess she's around 30 or so.

>> No.8558409

>>8558383
"I'm a 30-year-old junior high school teacher from Finland. I started cosplay in 2008." thats form her fb

>> No.8558434

>>8558377
> human monster as cgl makes her out to be
Nobody's doing that here, stop being so melodramatic.

>> No.8558441

>>8558409
Oh now I see why the Finnish education system is so praised, I would have been at school way more if I had teachers who looked like that.

>> No.8558445

>>8558366
I think the Eiko is her friend's/relative's child.. All I know is that she isn't Ilona's child.

>> No.8558450

>>8558445

I see. Went to the blog linked in her FB and first post was

""Translation: oh gosh please like there's any non-finnish readers here anyway! Just me telling what it's like to take a part in a cosplay competition with a five-year-old and how to deal with the dissapointment of not winning. With a kid or an adult.""

Does this mean she complains everytime she loses?

>> No.8558455

>>8558450
Yes.

>> No.8558516

>>8558450
http://ilonacosplay.blogspot.fi/2012/09/tracon-7-vaikutitte-jotenkin.html

>> No.8558529

>>8558450
Not really, it's just that one time everyone remembers, because she did that very openly in her blog. But then again she hasn't lost since, apart from the time with Eiko she seems to be okay about, so we'll see if the loser drama continues after SM.

Actually she writes pretty nicely about why it's important to know the motivation behind competing. I miss the time when she used to write a lot more those kind of updates about cosplay in general or about cosplay scene.

>> No.8558538

>>8558529
Actually she lost during the last NCC portfolio search. She applied but didn't pass. Didn't hear much cheering for the team from her...

>> No.8559780

>>8554515
Ilona get out.

>> No.8559781

>>8554753
Seconding Yumi's Flemeth

>> No.8559891

It amuses me when Rullarinkeli tries to kiss ass.

>> No.8559902

>>8559891
When she have done that?

>> No.8559945

>>8554784
Siiri couldn't write coherent English if her life depended on it, can't be her.

>> No.8559998

>>8559945

I kek'd.

>> No.8560931

>>8558445
I thought Ilona was Eiko's foster parent?

>> No.8560936

>>8560931
That's what anon said.

>> No.8561023

Let's talk about Tracon now. Is everyone ready with their costumes? Booked hotels? Have arranged upcoming photoshoots?

>> No.8562445
File: 92 KB, 297x167, lmnao.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8561023
Here we come floor

>> No.8562679

>>8561023
Can't even think about bringing cosplay with me before I get my work schedule there. I was dumb and asked 2 shifts instead of 1...
So if I have bad luck I have work both days and can't cosplay.

>> No.8562703

>>8561023
Costumes: not ready but in a good shape, mostly just needing a few fixes. Hotels: no, my friend will let me stay at their place so got that covered. Photoshoots: ...no, I'd really need to ask around, though. I'm just afraid photogs wouldn't be interested and I don't want to waste their time.

>> No.8562758

Kind of wondering if anyone's going to take part in NCC at Tracon anymore.

>> No.8562897

Now that Rullarinkeli has finished her blog about WCS I got the feeling that she didn't have fun on her and Sonoko's visit in Japan.
How anyone can be so stupid and act like an idiot when she gets a free trip to Japan? She should grow up and stop bitching about everything what doesn't go like she wants things to go. What a brat!

>> No.8562968

>>8562897
Exactly. As much as I dislike Ilona, at least she and Hootti seemed to enjoy the trip and they really made it seem like fun in their updates. And apparently they made some connections with the right people, ecg and so on. This year Finland just seems to be the whining country that complains about everything.

>> No.8562972

>>8562968
>whining country that complains about everything
You just described most of Finland in general.

>> No.8562998

>>8562968
I understand the feeling Rullarinkeli described very well, the feeling of being alienated in a room full of people singing and hugging and all you can think of is how fake it all is. I don't even hug my real friends who I have known for ten years or more - being touchy-feely and mushy with practical strangers I've known for ten days would feel fake for me too.

Even then, I think by now everyone even remotely interested in taking part to WCS should understand to suck it up and to can those feelings for those ten days. WCS is about representing Finland and making connections; the cosplay thing is just there on the side.

>> No.8563020
File: 79 KB, 1280x720, 08+Temper+Tantrum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8561023

>Costumes

I doubt I am going to cosplay.

>Hotel
Yep

>Photoshoot
Will be the designated photog as always. I have a shoot scheduled with some friends but beyond that I would probably be wandering around aimlessly looking for people to take photos of. Still a bloody amateur but I have taken decent to nice photos by sheer luck or due to the lenses I am using. I need more people to practice on damnit.

>> No.8564349

>>8562897
I wonder what her expectations towards WCS were even. She said she wanted serious competition. I thought it was common knowledge that WCS indeed is more about representing and meeting new people than competing.

>> No.8564416

>>8564349
I've been wondering this same exact thing. Anyone taking part should know the main WCS competition is a joke mostly.

The tone of her last post was so cheesy too.

>> No.8564658

Why are there so many furries in Finnish cons??

>> No.8565070

Finland threads are so excruciatingly slow.

>> No.8565127

>>8565070
Tracon is almost here, we need to do our costums! Only 16 days!

>> No.8565165

>>8565127

fair enough

>> No.8565237

>>8564658
I don't think there are any dedicated furry events other than small meetings I suppose, so they have to went it out somewhere

>> No.8566457

>>8565070
Post some drama, that'll always attract discussion.

>> No.8567121
File: 51 KB, 569x400, traconlol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8566457
Well done Tracon, well done.

>> No.8567137

>>8567121
I'm not surprised that chouxpuffs is the one who brought it up, she always complains.

Was anyone mildly confused about the bad English in Rullarinkeli's and Sonoko's WCS presentation powerpoint? "Embroydery"? And what do they mean with "fond"?

>> No.8567160

>>8567137
Relaa

>> No.8567199

>>8567121
Not like she'd win anyway

>> No.8567211

>>8567199
Not like she's participating anyway (or at least I think so, no wcs-related post anywhere before this), she's probably just lobbing her friend or something.

>> No.8567248

>>8567137
>All this rullarinkeli&sonoko bitching
Your vendetta is showing.

>> No.8567279

>>8567248
Calm down, its no vendetta. People are just desperate for drama and after the WCS posts Rullarinkeli is an easy target so now someone will complain about everything she does in hopes of stirring more discussion. That's just how it goes in these threads when there's no actual drama happening, doesn't necessarily mean someone's out to get them.

>> No.8568312

>>8567121
Wonder if the FB updating has been left to the previous WCS pair and they just haven't had the time (=are too lazy) to update it. Anyway it's kinda sad that 1st they require wcs participants to make introductions of themselves and then just publish 3 pairs. I really hope they learn from their mistakes and either forget the idea of introductions next year or leave the publishing to a different party.

>> No.8568354

>>8568312
Hi Maru

>> No.8568363

>>8568354
You got that one wrong honey.

>> No.8568416

Offtopic but what does Paaivaa mean?

Its my surname and i noticed in the blogspot article the word.

>> No.8568418

>>8568416
I think you mean "päivää". It like "greetings" or "good day".

>> No.8568421

Or in the article, the context is "... days". Like "pari | päivää" = "a couple of | days.
Sorry Finnish is complicated to explain

>> No.8568427

>>8567121
I actually send a message to the FB site and got an answer, not gonna post the whole thing here but in summary Iris Rönkkö is the one updating the site and she is doing it voluntarily so the updating hasn't been as smooth as it could've been. The wcs participants aren't introduced on tracons site since they woudn't get as much attention as they would on FB site plus it would take too long to wait for Tracon sites admins to update the page (which i think is bull since the FB page updating has been soooo slow..) And she made a good point that if the participants were published on FB at the same time they would just disapear in peoples timelines (tho if they were to publish them on Tracons site, this woudn't happen..)

>> No.8568494

>>8568427
I'd prefer if they'd publish them all at the same time on Tracon's site. Everyone would get an equal time in the spotlight, there wouldn't be a like/comment contest going on and the information of the teams would be much easier to find. Social media hype is hard to do well and these "releasing them one by one" things never seem to work.

>> No.8568499

Who are the best Finnish cosplayers right now?

>> No.8568500
File: 40 KB, 625x626, Comraderoboto+is+just+a+bait+fag+and+so+is+_d0427bac0d1e3715c841a42722047d73.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8568499

>> No.8568506

>>8568499
niidel

>> No.8568510
File: 149 KB, 670x355, Conan-Halonen_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8568499
Tarja Halonen

>> No.8568520

>>8568494
I don't think publishing same time would work. It would be just a big lump of people, publishing daily or every 2 days might work? FB is problematic for these kind of things anyway since it doesn't actually show all the newly published stuff from your liked pages on your timeline unless you set it from the preferences. Also they would've needed someone as a backup in case Iris gets too busy to do it. I hope the rest of introductions don't come out in one big lump since it'll be very different kind of attention they would get than those introductions which got couple days between each other.

>> No.8568522
File: 25 KB, 500x290, sauliforadoctor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8568500
Sauli Niinistö

>> No.8568530

Not bait.

Just asking. To make it less BAIT-y. I will rephrase the question:

Which cosplayers stand out from the rest based on costume quality and details?

Facial and body features not included. Just costume crafting skills.

>> No.8568603

>>8568530
Majo and hiron. Hands down.

>> No.8568688

>>8568427
Guess she needs to stock up on food and hibernate after every update, so that she won't over exhaust herself

>> No.8568759

>>8568603
I don't know why people insist that majo is the best Finnish cosplayer. Don't get me wrong, I like her and her costumes are very nice, but they're nothing special to me. I barely remember one or two of them.

>> No.8568969

>>8568603
I agree with Majo. First time I saw her she was wearing Balthier form FF XII she was hot...well she always is but damn.

But I have no idea who this Hiron is.

>> No.8568974

What do you think about this lates WCS pair?
I can't remember the girl but wyper (or whateverwas the name) has done few horrible skits and what I have heard, he had been complaining that judges don't understand his skits and they suck cause he's not ranked.

>> No.8569036

>>8568974
Wyper is a dick. He got fired as a member of the security staff from all conventions due to smacking his girlfriend with a radio phone after yelling and cussing at her. He did this in front of everyone too during his work shift at a convention. His skits are horrible and so are his costumes, but he thinks they're the greatest thing ever and the judges just don't understand his godlike talent.

>> No.8569122

>>8568974
>>8569036
At least we know who's not going to represent Finland. Ever.

>> No.8569190

>>8569122
Well he thinks otherwise...

>> No.8570320

>>8568974
Wyper's skits have been all the same... Blasting music and walking "dramatically around the stage with a dummie/doll. And one time he had that video play in the background and he just kinda strutted the stage.... I have been in the backstage with him a couple times and holy shit he is always so certain of his victory...

>> No.8570325

>>8570320
How old is he? Not everyone can ever be saved (Urho!) but maybe, just maybe he will grow up when he is nearing his thirties...

>> No.8570328

This will be my first tracon. Are there any kancolles or touhous worth taking a picture of? Or any Love Lives?

>> No.8570433
File: 246 KB, 600x900, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8568969
Oh please

>> No.8570687

>>8570433
I don't know any other costumes from her than that. And I know her better with her real name than her nick.

>> No.8570718

>>8570325
Isn't he around his thirties by now or soon hitting thirty? He's just a massive douche regardless of age.

>> No.8570883

>>8570325
Urho might be overly pompous, but he's not a dick. And at least his skits have some sort of substance. Some of his stuff with Cidi has been okay.

>> No.8570921

>>8570883
But he and Cidi or mostly Cidi seems to think that they are somehow superb skit makers.. I'll admit they really do work hard on their skits but they are medicore.. I dont really lile the way Cidi thinks he is the hot shit..

>> No.8570942

>>8570883
>>8570921
Urho or Cidi can't make costumes, have you seen their costumes close? And most of the characters are looking like bodybuilders and it just looks ridiculous when some "heinäkeppi" tries to look cool.

>> No.8570950

>>8570921
Agreed. They do seem to work hard and it's obvious they have a background in theater but they've (and especially Cidi has - it seems that Urho has calmed down a lot lately) let their competition wins get into their heads way too much and they seem to have much higher views of themselves than they should. Especially since skits are basically their only semi-strong point, and their costumes aren't even mediocre.
Basically their attitudes are so terrible that it makes it difficult to appreciate their work.

>> No.8571082

>>8570950
>Basically their attitudes are so terrible that it makes it difficult to appreciate their work.

Well that's like most finnish cosplayers who take part in competitions.

>> No.8571110

Trying to make this thread a tad more positive! I can't wait for tracon because there are so many nice cosplay competitions coming! I never really dare to enter them my self but it's super inspiring to watch people perform!!

>> No.8571226

Are there any good photographers who'll be in Tracon and wont shoot only cosfamous people?

>> No.8572356

>>8571226

What are you cosplaying?

>> No.8572449

>>8571226
I don't think there are photogs who only shoot cosfamous people, they usually shoot their friends. Shooting with people you know is a lot easier.

>> No.8572490

>>8572356

Not sure yet. I have 3 options

>>8572449

So they would only do hall photos and nothing beyond that if you are a stranger?

>> No.8572543

>>8568759
Then who would you say is the best in your opinion?

>> No.8572650

>>8572543
I don't have a favourite, but I know a lot of cosplayers that are equally good as her. I said I don't understand why so many people consider her to be the best.

>> No.8572669

>>8572650
Names please.

>> No.8572704

>>8572669

Seconding this.

>> No.8572725

>>8572669
>>8572704
So you can tell me how bad they are compared to your idol? I don't think so.

>> No.8572763

>>8572725

This only makes me think you were going to mention yourself instead of other people.

>> No.8572773

>>8572490
If you send message to some photographer and ask nicely if they have time to photoshoot?

>> No.8572777
File: 17 KB, 448x213, thatSalty_01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8572543
>>8572669
>>8572704
>>8572763

>> No.8572810

>>8572490
Sometimes kuvauspalvelu borrows photographers for shoots. I'm not sure if they do that in Tracon, but you can ask.

>> No.8572915

>>8572725
You did it yourself just now
> anons complimenting majo
> "majo's not that great I know some better/equal
> refuses to name cosplayers because someone might disagree with them out loud

Hypocrits are so much fun.

>> No.8572947

>>8570921
>>8570950
What's this all about? Cidi seems like a pretty down-to-earth person to me who just likes cosplaying very much? To me it just looks like he's loving what he's doing and being proud of his accomplishments.

>> No.8572977

>>8572947
And whining to everyone as often as possible when he or they with Urho) don't place in competitions, even if their costumes are barely average quality and their skits lack every speck of originality.
Besides that dugtrio thing, that shit was funny.

>> No.8572985

>>8572947
Cidi/Urpo spotted

>> No.8572991

>>8572915
Just saying, if you mention people by name here, especially in a positive light, you'll probably get salty seagulls shitting all over them. Like we have seen many times in these threads before. If you like someone, you wouldn't want to expose them to that kind of treatment.

>> No.8573073

>>8572947
Doesn't use wig when clearly going bald, doesn't prime wooden props properly, from topstitching you can see that his sewing machine does hopstitches which means there's something wrong with it. Nobody should be able to tell that there is something wrong with your sewing machine just by looking at pictures of your cosplays.
Aren't many of the egoistic guys mentioned here studying sewing?

>> No.8573095

>>8572977
The dugtrio performance was their only show I've ever enjoyed. It was actually entertaining and clever. The rest are so generic and boring I find them hard to watch.

>> No.8573146

>>8573095
That's because Kibi was the one who came up with the idea and script. Cidi and Urho hardly had anything to do with the content.

>> No.8573263

>>8572947
Cidi thinks that he's some kind of Elffi nowadays and he has (really loudly mind you) declared himself to be the best cosplay performer in Finland.
Also his attitude is worst. I almost feel sorry for Twins and their attempt to go cosplay-SM with him.

>> No.8573301
File: 400 KB, 1600x1200, IMG_20150711_123748.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8573073
Oh_my_god are you blind or something?? Cidi's one of the best prop makers, haven't you seen his work on his blog? He makes awesome props and he really puts a lot of work on every prop. I think that you're just jealous.
>>8572947
>>8572985
All my respect for Cidi and Urho, they both are fantastic cosplayers!

>> No.8573331
File: 58 KB, 599x600, B_kAe6qUIAID9UI.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8573301

>> No.8573625

>>8572991

Stop backtracking. You were just itching to mention your name but bailed.

>> No.8574195

>>8573301
Structurewise, Cidi's props aren't all that bad and he seems to know what he's doing. It's the painting part that usually landmines the props (brush streaks visible, identical symbols/markings done freehandedly and it shows...). Sometimes he doesn't really sand that well, resulting in a kind of bumpy surface. He's not bad but not as good as some/him seem to think. Nothing he couldn't get better in, though.

>> No.8574329

>>8573146
Aaaaa, that explains it all!

>> No.8574403

I don't think Rimppu is as funny as people think.

>> No.8574412
File: 23 KB, 200x401, 842.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8574403

>> No.8574414

>>8574412
Are you just F5'ing this thread every second? We know it's you Rimppu.

>> No.8574437

>>8574414

Who is Rimppu? Any FB page I can stalk?

>> No.8574453

>>8574403
I know right. What an utter prick.

>>8574412
That wasn't me, but I appreciate the thought!

>>8574437
Oh my, I will never pass up a chance for self promo! Elina Cosplay on FB. Have fun. Enjoy my unfunny posts and less than mediocre costumes.

>> No.8574460

>>8574453

Well... your costumes are top notch. Your face just looks squished in. Nothing makeup can fix though so you can just try to improve your makeup skills and you are all set to go.

>> No.8574463

>>8574460
This is the greatest comment in the history of all mankind and I will frame it on my wall. Thank you, anon, thank you.

>> No.8574515

>>8574195
His props have a lot more problems than his sloppy painting job. He doesn't know how to handle the materials properly, skips sanding and the details are usually off.

>> No.8574529

>>8574463

Hey I just honestly praised your craftsmanship. I can't praise your face because that would be blatant lying. Just improve on your makeup skills and learn poses and flattering angles for your face.

>> No.8574555

>>8574529
I thank you for that! And I do appreciate the bluntness of your face comment, because it IS 100% true and I'm well aware of my unfortunate genes, seeing as I've lived with them all my life. I do my best to work with what I've got, while working to improve my make up game.

>> No.8574709

Don't you guys have any cosplays to finish? Stop bickering and get back to sewing. 12 days to go.

>> No.8574733

>>8574709
I'm already finished.

>> No.8574740

>>8574709
I don't need to go to cons anymore, I get my monthly dose of drama from /cgl/.

>> No.8574755

The main reason why finnish cosplayperformances are so bad is probably because people keep making bingo tickets for every finals and Everyone starts to think it's a bad thing to change your outfit on stage or have something really flashy. Finnish cosplayers should think bigger with stageprops and performances.

>> No.8574996

>>8574755
I completely agree. Finns somehow manage to come up with new terrible cliches rather than figure out how to make the existing ones actually work. And I also think one of the biggest reasons our skits suck is that we still don't value performances as much as we do our costumes. Because on an international level, Finnish craftsmanship is actually really well-respected but unfortunately we're known as terrible performers.

>> No.8575025

>>8574755
>>8574996
We're not terrible performers. There isn't some magical land where performances are always spectacular and amazing. Cosplay performances tend to be terrible all around the world except maybe in Asia where the performing part of the hobby has been around much longer than in the western countries. For one thing it's a fucking hard job to do an interesting cosplay performance which is proven by the fact that you guys who complain about how Finns are such shitty performers never give any practical examples or suggestions how to make them better other than "just use a wow factor!!!".

>> No.8575039

Finnish cosplay performances, there are only 4 types:

1. Comical skit with/without pop culture references
2. Dance number
3. EPIC SWORD BATTLE
4. Dramatic monologue that opens only to someone familiar with the original work.

>> No.8575064

>>8575025
We have potential, sure, but like I said, we still don't place as much value on performances as we do on costumes. This often means that skits are only practiced last minute, if there's time - even if it is for a big international comp.

Finnish skits would benefit a lot from more time spent working on them and rehearsing them. Then again, if your skit has a shit storyline to begin with, or it doesn't really make much sense, all the rehearsals in the world can't actually save it.

And I genuinely think most cosplayers who want to perform should to take a drama class and learn the very basics of stage performance. I've seen far too many skits that are full of ridiculous amateur mistakes (too much back to the audience is my pet peeve) that make the performance less enjoyable.

>> No.8575077

>>8575025
As >>8575064 said before, the performance is left too much in the last minute. Also people tend to choose more of a amazing costume over thinking of "what kind of performance can I make with this cosplay?" and it shows when they awkwardly stand on stage. Stage props play important part interact with them, break them, build them, there are tons of options. Don't just see them as 'circus tricks' couple of magic tricks do add a lot to a performance. But be wary of them, if character doesn't do this kind of thing then don't use tricks.
Rarely monologues taken from the series works since it might need more explaining than the 3 minutes that you have. I had some other examples on my mind but forgot them already, sorry.

>> No.8575083

>>8575025
I can give advice what NOT to do for a skit, either because of clichés or if not executed well it will end up looking like garbage on stage:

> swordfights (insert any weapon really) "alone" or with a pair
This has not only been seen millions of times but badly too at that. (I understand that many cool characters deal w/ weapons but still)
Unless you can make your prop e.g. a sword sturdy enough to take a real blow from your pair or you know how to choreograph an interesting and intense fight, do not attempt.
Often ruined if not practiced well enough to the skit audio, thus missing the "marks" where you hit.
> Dancing alone or with a pair
Usually we see two people unsynchronized, awkwardly waltzing or one person doing aimless roaming around the stage to music. Any dancing needs a cohesive choreography and using the whole of the stage interestingly. Props help carry the story, which is often forgotten in dance/singing based skits.
If you're not experienced in dancing, you need to make up for it with action, props, good audio and storytelling.
> silent wandering and "encounters" on stage
This is a pretty common pattern in a skit; character enters, observes their surroundings, maybe finds something and has a moment. This is incredibly boring without big movements/expressions and a bigger interaction with something other than a treasure chest or a weapon.
Including an element of surprise (other than wild villains appearing unless done w/ other means than just audio) and remembering that in theatre a character always has an objective they try to reach and an obstacle can spice things up a lot.

THINGS FINNS NEED PRACTICE IN WHEN COMES TO SKITS:
> Stage presence/energy
I get it that while performing for a huge crowd you get nervous and it eats energy of what you provide for the audience.
When you act so exaggeratedly it feels stupid, your movements/expressions can just be seen to the back row.
> using the whole potential of the stage
As said before

CONT.

>> No.8575085
File: 164 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8575025
>There isn't some magical land where performances are always spectacular and amazing.

Denmark

>> No.8575099

>>8575085
Their NCC and WCS performances were pretty damn bad this year... What's this myth about Denmark being the land of performances?

>> No.8575100

>>8575083
CONT.
(Just noticed bunch of anons going at this too, but w/e)

> planning lighting, pauses, timing and so forth before the first rehersal of the skit at the con
This and all practice should be done early. If you have big plans for the lights, ask the con tech staff beforehand and they will tell you what's possible.
> Audio recording and editing
Many good skits get cringy when the audio sucks. If you are going to record your own voice, invest a bit for better mics than just the one on your laptop.
When editing pieces from existing audio, check or ask someone to see that the sounds are at the same level to prevent "explosions" and breaking the audience's eardrums.
> Accept your level of grammar or singing
Rally English and poor script can kill the whole show. If your own English oral performance is poor, do your skit in Finnish or record a friend who can pronounce better.
Same with singing.
> Lipsynch timing
'Nuff said.

Did I forget anything?

>> No.8575112

>>8575083
>>8575100
These things are pretty basic and has been said so many times in panels and blogposts but still people don't seem to learn them.

>> No.8575175

>>8575112
Biggest issue with Finnish skits is that they are confusing. I have the attention span of a five year old and most of the time Finnish skits just leave me confused and/or bored. Why this monologue? Why this fighting?

Best skits are ones you can sum up with one sentence. These are probably easy to recognize:

A girl gets dressed up in the morning while someone calls her
A woman wants to buy ice cream from a tired vendor
Baking a cake in a slightly unusual way
A couple falls in love while seasons change
A guy wants to steal something from a museum

>> No.8575182

>>8575083
>>8575100
These are beginner tips, they offer no insight to making a good performance. Most people know how to avoid these already, the ones who don't are usually making their first or one of the first performances. The hardest thing is to make a skit that's understandable and that's what people should focus on, not the "don't do sword fights" that we've heard to death.

>> No.8575200

>>8575182
I get your point but even if we've established that doing a sword fight is shitty, 90% of skits still fall for amateur mistakes and into all the clichés.
So I think repeating this is in order since it hasn't yet sinked in and you gotta fix the basics before you can script and create something new.

>> No.8575207

>>8575175
Hmmmm. That's actually a very good point, these skits are all the ones I've really liked. So, a skit should be simple but still have enough action so that the audience wouldn't get bored? The balance is hard to find but I think you're right, this is pretty good advice and something I never thought about. It at least made me rethink a few of my skit ideas...

>> No.8576479

11 days left! Rawrrrrggrrrgrargblarghhh!!!

>> No.8576579

6 WCS pairs have been published, how many more to come? Does anyone know?
And who are they? Any guesses?

>> No.8576585

>>8576579
It's seems that Meri & Anette is going to participate?

>> No.8576666

>>8576585
good job on using their real names instead of nicknames, you twat

>> No.8576675

>>8576579
Doesn't matter, Yumi and Jesmo are going to win anyway.

>>8576666
I think most people use their real names now instead of nicknames.

>> No.8576693

>>8576675
I wouldn't be sure about Yumi ja jesmo winning as they ain't that good at performing *coughCosvisioncough*

I believe Elzy and Asalea are going to be tough competitiors too and Umi also does top notch costumes. (Not saying anything about her partner as I don't know her)

>> No.8576695

>>8576675
I hope someone else wins preferably someone who isn't mentioned in cgl. They're great but not gods, everyone keeps saying that they're going to win, why even bother to go against them, and it's seriously pissing me off.

>> No.8576707

>>8576695
They're not gods but WCS is always more about your reputation than the actual contest effort.

>> No.8576711

>>8576707
What about Mira and Aki then and their reputation? Both are ECC representatives.

>> No.8576830

>>8576666
They literally use those names in twitter. That's where I picked those names.

>> No.8576992

>>8576711
They're not popular enough. Both of them seem really socially awkward and bland, too. I doubt people would remember they were even there.

>> No.8577068

Change of topic.

Which cosplays do you think will be overused for Tracon? I'm annoyed at the current Fujoshit trend where they dress up as Tumblr-ified versions of their gay ships. Think we'll be seeing more of those?

>> No.8577074

>>8577068
Love Live. Just Love Live.

>> No.8577088

>>8577068
Steven Universe. It's the new Homestuck, with bodypaint and all.

>> No.8577109

>>8577074
>>8577088
These and Avatar.

>> No.8577208

I am sick of Avatar. There's always someone from the series at a con every single time

>> No.8577282

>>8577208
Thank you, I thought I was the only one. It seems like everyone is doing them and I'm getting so sick of it.

>> No.8578528

>>8577208
>>8577282
I know you have opinions and I've got mine, but you guys really think Avatar is the big plague? I like the series which is why I scout for cosplayers and I usually see abou 8 ppl tops cosplaying from Avatar. It's usually two groups too.
What I'm sick of seeing is Shinjuku no Skönönöö everywhere. Also Haikyuu and that basketball thing, gosh.

>> No.8578566

>>8578528
Spotted the Avatar cosplayer.

>> No.8578617

There is a lot of discussion of pairs and cosplayers what we don't want to see in WCS but how about this: Whom you would want to see in WCS representing Finland?

I would like to see Rindalin & Ennah Cosplay in WCS, but I also would love to see RetaCosplay there.

>> No.8578670

>>8578617

You what, anon? RetaCosplay has really mediocre costumes and forgettable craftsmanship. Like seriously?

>> No.8578684

>>8578670
Did you seriously expect more than people naming their friends when they're asked that question?

>> No.8578687

>>8578670
Her craftsmanship is pretty mediocre, yeah, but I really like her as a performer. If she ups her game in the costume department, she could be a proper contender some day.

>> No.8578689

>>8578670
I agree. Her costumes aren't even mediocre, they look like she got them from the closet. Is this anon baiting?

>> No.8578740

>>8578687

Uh-huh. Riiiiiggghhhtt.

>>8578617

Reeks of self post

>> No.8578754

Not a self post but come on. All this uproar about craftmanship and WCS.

Do you, really, REALLY believe that craftmanship is any kind of factor in WCS?

>> No.8578758

>>8578754

K. I'll bite. That may be the case but you have to look attractive at least. Who wants a sorry looking cosplayer to present their country?

The person you suggested doesn't even look good at all.

>> No.8578763

>>8578758
True. Don't send fatties to WCS should be the US mantra, ours could be don't send fatties and potato faces.

>> No.8578766

>>8578754
In Finland, yes. Japan, no.

>> No.8578767

>>8578754
It doesn't matter in Japan, but it sure as hell matters in the preliminaries, at least in Finland, no matter how much seagulls like to think that the judges only send in their personal friends.

>> No.8578770

There should be an explicit rule regarding this. Something that states the importance of having an attractive person to represent the country and not drama hugging, SJW fatties with potato faces. Last thing we need are uglies bitching about their Japan trip and making the rest of the world believe we can only afford to send autists to WCS.

>braces self for bruised potato faces' egos.

>> No.8578773

>>8578770
>drama hugging
is that even a word

>> No.8578774

>>8578773

No.
Two words.

>> No.8578777

>>8578767
The thing is, if you have been cosplaying 5+ years, competed couple times and been social otherwise, you most probably will know the judges. It's a small hobby after all, and after 5+ years you usually know everyone who has been cosplaying that long too and have some experience of what judges are looking for. That's why it seems like judges friends always win.

>> No.8578779

>>8578777

Trips dont lie

>> No.8579433

>>8578566
I actually haven't done any because they're far away from my skill level, but I'd like to cosplay from atla.
What I meant was that I don't understand how anons thought avatar cosplays are so hugely numerous when the fanbase has settled down and several other series have triple the amount of cosplayers at every con.

>> No.8579464

>>8579433

Avatar is super stale and reeks too much of Tumblr. Other series are mostly new so it's understandable. The point is: it's super old and it has been cosplayed since the beginning of time so people have gotten so tired of seeing it for 10 cons in a row or more.

>> No.8580249

>>8578777
Nice try but Ilona didn't win by talent and skill. Judges are biased towards their friends whether you like it or not, they know their history and probably more about the costume and its details. Or they might have a negative opinion due to personal drama or jealousy. Point being, their relationship will always affect judging.

>> No.8580693

>>8580249
Well that might've been the case in that competition. But then again no one really outshined others that year in WCS, the only performances I can remember are Ilona&Hootti's and the little witch academy. Aki and Mira had big costumes but they were messy upclose, Rindalin&Ennah's costumes were nice though.
Mediocre costume+mediocre skit can top amazing costume+bad skit in points.

>> No.8580703

>>8580693
I don't know why people insist that Ilona&Hootti's skit was good, I thought it was awful and cringeworthy. Just like their costumes.

>> No.8580758

>>8580703
Just said that it's the one I remember, didn't say it was perfect. But it had a storyline that audience understood, which is what most finnish skits are missing.

>> No.8581598

>>8581597
New thread