[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 1002 KB, 1536x2048, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8520467 No.8520467[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hello seagulls. So I'm trying to put together my first colab and not look ita as fuck. Veterains, I know you can help me out. Ok ok, I know it's the infamous Bodyline 'Squirrel Party', but I got it back before I had done my homework. Now I'll never touch Bodyline with a 10ft. pole. Plus it was squirrels...my favorite animals. Just too hard to resist. And it goes without saying that I'm using a petticoat. I've got the basics down, I think...? Any advise? Also what brands are quality? Are AP, IW, & BTSSB all good? Thanks!

>> No.8520490
File: 891 KB, 1280x717, sE6AzcW.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You are trying waaaay too hard.

>> No.8520492

>>8520490
Thanks. What should I change?

>> No.8520500

>>8520490
Or is it my way of going about things? Nitpicking over brands and such?

>> No.8520503

>what brands are quality

There's this super helpful person named google to help you with that one. That topic has been covered so many times in different lolita guides.

>> No.8520505

>>8520467
hey there, it might be better to post this in a help thread, or maybe post in many of the lolita advice groups on Facebook, such as Big Sisters of Lolita Fashion. There are also many guides online that help with coord-ing. Best of luck

>> No.8520507

*coord

>buy a proper lolita dress and not a plain button-up dress shirt
>get rid of the necklace
>buy a proper lolita headbow from a lolita brand or a seller on LaceMarket, you must be a LV 15 lolita to unlock using Claire's accessories in coords
>get wristcuffs or bracelets

>> No.8520510

>>8520503
Yes, I know. I meant more along the lines of what is quality in YOUR opinion.

>> No.8520511

>>8520505
Ok , I'll remember that. Thanks!

>> No.8520518

>>8520467
Don't worry so much about buying Bodyline, it's not that horrid.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's an OP, so you don't have to wear a blouse. You still can, but you should get a different one - work blouses are not the same as lolita blouses, pointed collars don't work. I'd suggest getting a different necklace, that one looks a little too distracting - stick with something in light purple or pink maybe.
Finally, I don't think the leggings will be a good look. There's not enough mint in the print to make it look cohesive. If you're wanting to stay with plain colors, go for white or light purple tights, or patterned OTKs.
Don't worry about buying brand right away, anon. It isn't necessary. All the ones you listed are quality, but it doesn't matter how much brand you have if you aren't able to coord it. Keep practicing. I suggest looking at examples of other coords with this dress for more inspiration and ideas. Keep at it!

>> No.8520519

>>8520507
Thanks for the correction. :3

>Great, what qualifies as lolita in shirts? Must it be a brand or just more frills? I sort of likes the simplicity, but I'm a noob.
>Uh oh, better not try that. I'm only LV1. :O
>How many cuff and brackets are too much though?

>> No.8520527

>>8520518
Thank you so very much! I'll go with a more toned down lavender with the leggings and accessories. Next time I'm shopping I'll make a note to get a few rounded collar lolita tops. :) I'll stick to the cheaper stuff until I can get my coords right, then I'll shot for brand. Thanks again!

>> No.8520528

>>8520467
as everyone else is saying, get a different blouse. (not one from bodyline tho, theirs arent great) or because its an op don't wear one with it at all. also get a bow that matches the color of the squirrel better (or sew one yourself, bows are really easy). get nicer leggings too, something simple, maybe a white pair with cute but not very "in your face" dots or flowers or similar on it. also invest in a different necklace (maybe something with a purple heart, a giftbox, or a rose), preferably something with a nicer chain. nice statements can be ruined by cheap silver. and find something that matches the coord for your wrists, too. ardenes/walmart have cute pink rose bracelets that wouldn't be too too bad.

also not a big deal but you could also probably replace the shiny light pink bows on the top with something less shiny that matches the darker pink in the print, or maybe white, but im not sure about that. i just think the bows are too shiny and a little boring.

>> No.8520536

>>8520528
Thanks! I think I'll try a light lavender with the leggings or a simple soft white. I'm steering clear of Bodyline. I believe that veterans can pull it off, but not noobs who are still learning the ends and outs. I was thinking about changing the jewelry out to gold maybe...? Real gold, not poor quality enamel. Perhaps a simple gold necklace with a lavender or pink accent? I do like Betsy Johnson's jewelry, some is very basic and pastel. I also have a small lavender bow that I'll switch out for the mint one. I'll invest Ina few sewing books and try my hand at sewing as well. I imagine it will come in handy.

>> No.8520544

OP here. I'm off to bed now lovely gulls. Thank you all so very much for your advise. I've learned a lot! I'll keep working at it and hopefully learn the ins and outs of the style. Thanks again. :) Goodnight.

>> No.8520545

>>8520536
There's lots of guides online for sewing, anon! It's very useful, but there are plenty lolita-specific tutorials for things like bows, wristcuffs, etc. Check out the lolita-tips tumblr, it's very useful for just about anything you can imagine, including putting together coords, color balancing, sewing, and they have lots and lots of tutorials, and seem good about answering questions. The internet is your friend, and you can never research enough!

>> No.8520551

First off, calm the fuck down. Over enthusiastic noobs are tiring.
Body line is ok, you just have to cherry pick goo quality items. The blouse however is not. Look IW for blouse inspired, they have simple and elegant ones. Pointy collars almost never work outside of gothic. As other anon said, it's a short sleeved op though, you don't have to wear any blouse under it. If you're wary about your arms showing, find a nice bolero.
Stay away from leggings, they rarely fit the aesthetic. If you wanna pick mint or lavender out of your outfit, use patterned socks, plain coloured tights often looks weird.
Understated jewels will mostly not work because of how busy a sweet Lolita outfit can be, just find something cute but honestly I find it hilarious wearing fine gold jewerlly with cheap Bodyline sweet outfit. Keeps the fine gems for elegant outfits. Nuke that necklace, your neck area will already be busy enough anyway.

>> No.8520555

>>8520545
Thank you. :) Will do.

>> No.8520560

>>8520551
I'm not over enthusiastic, just overly wary. :) I see, I'm just mildly self conscious about my arms because I'm VERY pale. (I'm Scandinavian mostly) I'll do some shopping at IW and try again. They're not really cloth leggings, but sheer stockings, my bad. ^^' So jewels & sweet don't mix? Gotcha! Yeah, it might sound bad, buts I imagine it would be even worse to have cheap bodyline AND cheep jewelry!

>> No.8520563
File: 50 KB, 455x600, MyStyle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Get the fuck out.

>> No.8520565

>>8520563
Yes, I said I was going. Goodnight. :)

>> No.8520567

>>8520563
Or do you have any advise to give before I leave?

>> No.8520571

>>8520510
>opinion
>4chan

>> No.8520644

>>8520545
isn't lolita-tips the same girl who made an unironic lorax coord?

>> No.8520677
File: 70 KB, 255x326, 1435933656688.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.8520713

>>8520490
anon, you're trying way too hard to give off the illusion of non try hard

>> No.8520717

>>8520563
You're so cute when you're a jerk
Yum

>> No.8520723
File: 5 KB, 223x174, 1420867127172.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm surprised there were this many people that gave advice. Did you really not realize this was a troll? Really?

>> No.8520733

>>8520723
Looked more like a noob to me. Hey, at least she's actually ASKING for con-crit instead of walking around looking like ita trash and bawwing about how other lolitas don't understand 'muh style'.

>> No.8520743
File: 15 KB, 202x251, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8520563

>> No.8521094
File: 68 KB, 500x421, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8520519
A lolita blouse usually has ruffles and lace and puffy sleeves a rounded collar. You can also try looking at cutsews, which are shirts made with t-shirt material that have lolita elements on them.

>> No.8521113

>>8520467
Your dress is way too long. You need something shorter to be a proper lolita, preferably mid thigh. And it would be cute with some brand OTKs(or you could just cut your tights, they have a nice color) and jelly sandals.