[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 169 KB, 1024x608, holding_hands_by_moony_cosplay-d79n7hx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8498428 No.8498428 [Reply] [Original]

Did you meet your significant other through cons, cosplay or fashion? What brought you two together?

>> No.8498433

No, I met him through garage band concerts and pot smoking

>> No.8498442

Met my bf at a con, we were both cosplaying characters from the same series, that we happened to ship together, so that was a cute way to meet.

>> No.8498456

In fact I met my boyfriend on /cgl/. He posted a very very very thoughtful response to post which really impresed me and I jokingly responded "fuck you are wise, please marry me?" to his post. It was a joke and I was obviously expecting no response but he answered "I think it's maybe a bit too early for marriage, but we could be friends". Started exchanging mails and we dating now.

>> No.8498464

Yep, we met through mutual nerd friends, and he and I both ended up going to a con in a group with said nerd friends shortly after we met. We were both still pretty fresh out of bad relationships and we initially bonded over being exhausted by bullshit, hahaha. We've been together for over five years now and we're finally getting around to getting married in August.

>> No.8498479 [DELETED] 

Met my boyfriend online .
We decided to meet up for the first time at anime expo and we had a really amazing time. He's in the military but we try very hard to go to anime expo every year and get the works [Premier badge, hotel room etc] since its one of the few times a year I get to see him. He loves when I wear lolita and supports my passion for costume making/designing. I consider myself quite lucky.

>> No.8498500

Met my boyfriend online .
We decided to meet up for the first time at anime expo and we had a really amazing time. He's in the military but we try very hard to go to anime expo every year and get the works [Premier badge, hotel room etc] since its one of the few times a year I get to see him. He loves when I wear lolita and supports my passion for costume making/designing. I consider myself quite lucky. We've been dating 5 years.

>> No.8498523

Sigh my boyfriend won't touch anime with a 5 foot pole.

>> No.8498526

Meet my bf at a restaurant where I worked
We've been dating for two years now and finally he got into cosplay a few weeks ago
He's making some props and armor rigth now and want us to compete at the next local convention

I'm happy because I've never had someone to cosplay with, I do have cosplay friends but never got to work together for a project

>> No.8498681

My SO was a photographer at a Japanese pop culture event. Became friends, now we're together.

>> No.8498697

>>8498428
My husband is a fellow cosplayer, we met at a con.

>> No.8498709

>>8498442
>>8498697
>>8498681
I'm surprised when people meet at cons because while I'd LIKE to go up to people I think are attractive, I feel like everyone's there to accomplish something, not to flirt, and I'm in their way.

>> No.8498715

I actually met my boyfriend at a /cgl/ meetup. He only lurked and didn't know too much about board but he followed a friend to the meetup. We've been dating over 2 years now and he has gotten more into cosplay and cons and want to cosplay more. it's so cute <3

>> No.8498725

Met my girlfriend on Neopets 7-8 years ago, only just started introducing her to cons and cosplay. She thinks it's pretty cool but our views on certain things are different. Makes for good debating though.

>> No.8498734

Met my husband through work. Found out we both liked the same things when working on a particularly menial task together. Anime (even though our preferred genres of anime are quite different), vidya games, cosplay, etc. Now we hit up cons together and have some couple cosplays planned.

>> No.8498755

>>8498709
I have flirted with many people at cons, and I definitely never ended up bothering any of them (though I sometimes bothered other girls that were eyeing them, but that's inevitable if you chat up somebody attractive). This isn't work, people go to have fun.

>> No.8498758

No
Uni
(He used to work in the cafe there, I'm a student)

>> No.8498778

Yup. I am a cosplayer and SO is into tabletop rpg. Honestly it's a necbeard x legbeard relationship.

>> No.8498837

>>8498755
I guess as a guy I'm more worried I'd be seen as yet another fuckboy trucking on up to them. There seems to be a lot these days.

>> No.8498858

I met my best friends through cosplaying and I met my crush at a con.

>> No.8499054

>>8498428
We met at a con and I was cosplaying something he really likes. He pursued me for a year before we started dating. He tried to cosplay as a part of trying to impress me (I wasn't), since his build doesn't lend itself to very many cosplay choices anyways.

>> No.8499124

>>8498709
Nah, honestly half the people there are hoping to meet someone.

>> No.8499130

>>8498837
Be respectful, watch your body language so you don't accidentally come off as a creeper.
Watch theirs so you can tell if they're uncomfortable talking to you and trying to find a way out.

>> No.8499165

>>8499130
not to sound like a socially hopeless sperg but my body language? I knew about obviously stuff like if she's giving me short answers and little eye contact I should cut out.

>> No.8499184

>>8499165
It's the subconscious posture and reflex motions you make. The general idea is that 60% of communication is by body language and the other 40% by verbal/tone, so how you act and stand in real life tell a lot more about yourself than what you say, and you have to put conscious thought/effort into changing your body language if you know what you normally come off as isn't optimal

>> No.8499187

I got together with my partner though a Hentai panel. I dressed up as stereotypical Hentai complete with plush tentacle monster. He found it hilarious and we've been together nearly 2 years now.

>> No.8499208
File: 715 KB, 629x758, wojac6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8499187

What do women look for in a man. Tell me, /cgl/, So I may transcend this reality I know as singularity.

>> No.8499218

>>8499208
Don't be ugly or a creeper

Be funny

>> No.8499245

>>8499208
Good personality, a nice/decent body, and able to put up with my weirdness.

>I'm not picky tbh
>I can't afford to be picky

>> No.8499266

No, we didn't meet at a con but we both share cosplay and other weeaboo interests. We were set up by friends because we both really liked each other but were too scared to start talking. We've now been together for six years and we are getting married next year. He's more into cosplay and I'm more into lolita/j-fashion and collecting figures. Typically at cons we plan to cosplay one day and dress up in J-fashion the next day, because we are fags.

>> No.8499287

I met him through a panel that my friend regularly runs at small conventions. We didn't hit it off immediately, as I was still questioning my own sexuality and later on dated one of my friends. Friend and I later realized a year or two later that he lives in the same city as us, so hell yeah, let's hang out with him! Started being all touchy feely and eventually dating a few months later. We've been together for a year and a half since. He's a sweetie.

>> No.8499328

I met my husband when I was cosplaying for an event at university. He came over because he recognized the character. Became friend and then started dating later.

>> No.8499483

i met my bf through cgl, so i guess that counts.

>> No.8499526

>>8499483
how's THAT happen? Honestly it sounds like this place outdoes okcupid

>> No.8499755

My boyfriend and I met at a video game bar and I beat him at Guilty Gear. We started talking about anime after that and turned out we had interests in the same genre and thought the fact I liked to dress in lolita from time to time.

>> No.8502492

>>8498428
yup, I'm a cosplayer and bf is a photographer.

>> No.8502974

>>8499208
Don't be creepy, be decently attractive, hold conversations, normal stuff

>> No.8502977

I met my boyfriend through /r9k/. Turned out we went to the same high school and had mutual friends. /r9k/ sucks but he's amazing.

>> No.8502978

/cgl/
we were both lurking a thread about a con.
I posted asking for information about the area, and my shitty gijinka cosplay with a blacked out face

he replied and eventually said he'd come say hi if he saw me.

He did, realized I was jailbait and we were just friends for 2 years, then got together when I was 19(him 23)

>> No.8502980

not through con but i met my current bf of almost 3 years on omegle while i was in cosplay. i gave him my skype and he didnt add me until 6 months later lmao. we're doing our first cosplays together later this year.

>> No.8502986

Me and my gf first met in a weeaboo meet up.. We didn't get that close right away but we met again few years later and started dating.

>> No.8502999

>>8502977
The chances of that happening are pretty damn low, congrats

>> No.8503002

I met my ex-gf at a con. We started talking while waiting for our food to be delivered in the hotel lobby, which ended up turning into a 4-hour+ conversation because they apparently lost my order, and we went on talking until I nearly lost my voice. Started seeing each other afterwards, got along well, didn't have very many shared interests beyond some of the weeby shit that drew us together to begin with, but we could at least hold conversations about said things because it was neat to see what each of us was enthusiastic about.

She ended it for a few different reasons, at least partially because I was looking for long-term commitment and she wasn't ready for that. Totally understandable; I still think she's a great person and I wish her the best. If nothing else, it was a great learning experience and it gave me some hope that I can find someone like her who's at the same point in life as I am.

>> No.8503075

>>8498523
Honestly could be for the best though??

I met my bf at a con and although I love him dearly he can be an anime snob and doesn't give two shits about anything I have interest in but will talk my ear off about things he likes.

So as long as he supports you liking it, don't worry about it too much anon! (He may even slowly give in one day!)

>> No.8503107

Met my boyfriend at a con.

He'd found a good spot where people would take his picture as they were walking by, so I perched nearby. We struck up a conversation and hit it off. We've been going for four years now. It's long distance so it's been hard, but between quarters at uni he's been taking trips over to see me. Our next three cosplays are couples of our original characters from our table top games (because we're giant weeaboos).

>> No.8503124

I met my ex gf through the local lolita comm (already friends with some of the other members) and she was really cool, it was fun going out dressed up with her too. She later had some struggles with mental illness & had to break up so she could focus solely on that, sadly. I'd date a lolita again but so far nobody has really clicked.

>> No.8503137

>>8498456
That's lucky.
The first guy I met that admitted to using /cgl/ ended up being my friend, and then he proceeded to get clingy and say weird things like "I want to touch your butt."
Just out of the blue.
We weren't even flirting

>> No.8503142

>>8498456
Heyyy, I remember that post.

>> No.8503143
File: 47 KB, 695x396, sadusami.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8499526
There are a fuck ton of lurkers during cons. If you're a moderately attractive grill (or not) and post a picture inviting people to say hi, you'll get a lot of prospects.

There are a few trip couples, though. I think it's nice to know that your signifcant other is as much of a salty bitch as you are, so there are no surprises.

p.s. obligatory
>Tfw no Asian cosplay boyfriend

>> No.8503157
File: 596 KB, 720x1280, Screenshot_2015-04-09-16-09-11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Met my husband at a convention. He was trying to fix his hair and I walked up and offered to help. Went our separate ways. Later on found out we had mutual friends, so we saw a bit of each other outside of con. He was hosting a cosplay meet up. I was flirting with him and he was being sweet to me. Afterwards we were hanging out with our friends, and one of them noticed. A later date we all hung out at her place, and were having drinks. We were all having a good time and she pinned him down and made he confess he liked me, then she asks me if I liked him too. I'm laughing my ass off and answer yes I did.

We started dating after that and now we're married with a kid.

>> No.8504268
File: 147 KB, 549x500, verylovely.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

At a local cosplay meetup. We were cosplaying characters we paired together. Turned out we had many similar interests and compatible. We always plan couple cosplays together.
Five years dating, we're now moving in together.

>> No.8504324
File: 955 KB, 300x162, 1359052700893.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying I have a significant other
>implying I've ever had a significant other
>implying I'm not going to die alone and unloved

>> No.8504328

>>8504324
you're being very unrealistic if you think you're foreveralone as a woman

>> No.8504396

Met my girlfriend at a con because we run in the same friend group. Knew of each other for years, never talked much. Finally met her formally and knew she was going to be very important from the get go. We bonded over both being cgl bitches. Now we're moving in together next year.

>> No.8504556

>>8498428
I met my girlfriend through a mutual convention friend, and then we planned to meet for the first time at an upcoming convention! Almost 4 months later we're still together and planning cosplays to do.

>> No.8507188

>>8502978
this makes me so happy and i dunno why, but props to you for waiting!! how'd that workout? did he ever date anybody while you waited it out?

>> No.8507421

I bet my boyfriend at a con, he was there with his family (his dad is a scifi nerd) and I was there with a friend.
I was cosplaying, he wasn't. He had a insta-crush on me and I went along with it.
We cosplay together now, our third anniversary is in two weeks.

>> No.8507538
File: 28 KB, 300x384, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's the best male cosplay for picking up greasy /cgl/ girls?

I would imagine that something like Yoko or Ryuko would be effective for greasy /cgl/ guys, but I don't know what the male equivalents are.

>> No.8507874

>>8499208
Be a tall rich bodybuilder that gives them lots of free money and attention.

>> No.8507908

>>8503075
Anon I hope he is supportive in other aspects of your life.

My ex was like that and that shit gets old.

>> No.8508490
File: 125 KB, 924x572, 1423887936805.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8499208

Look like you give a shit about yourself. Even if you're ugly a lot of girls can be attracted to you anyway (same principal as pugs, really). Nobody likes attention from slobs. Pic very related.

>>8507538

Pretty much any entry tier fujobait will get you attention.

>>8503075
>anime snob

He sounds insufferable (and that's coming from somebody who just used the term "entry tier").

>> No.8508495

>>8508490
>principal

FUCK

*principle

>> No.8508522

>>8507538
With the proper body definition:
- JoJo characters
- Guts
- Kamina
among others

>> No.8508551

>>8507538
Try like-- Howl from HMC or Tuxedo Mask. Guys in romance type animes if you're not super fit but can still look nice.

>> No.8509307

>>8507538
Something from a series you like.

You know how greasy /cgl/ guys will chat up any qt grills wearing a cosplay they know? Same deal. Expect to have to hold a conversation about said show/manga/game/whatever, because it's a great icebreaker.

>> No.8509438

>>8498428
She was chilling with some friends a year ago, and somehow saw me with a cosplay at the anual con where we live, but was afraid to say anything. Time passed and we started texting throught FB and then a day I needed to go out from work meet and then it happened. Almost a year now and I regret nothing.

>> No.8509639

>Be black dude
>Most girls at cons are intimidated by me even just making eye contact with them

And god forbid I try to walk up and have a discussion with them.

>> No.8509975

Met my gif in my buddies college dorm. Somehow got on the topic of cons which she and I both went to and it just went from there.

>> No.8510027

Every girl I've dated since college has been a cosplayer. We've never met at conventions, but we have cosplayed together.

I'm presently single, but I do cosplay and tend to bring costumes to conventions even when I don't plan on wearing them so I can have an ice breaker if I decide to go meet new people. Couple cosplay is fun, as is group cosplay, and sometimes a shared series is all it takes to get to know someone new.

>> No.8510322

>>8498428

Yes met my husband of 15 years at a con.

We didn't date at first. We were just buddies in an online chat with other anime fans.
We met at a local con and a couple years after that decided to date.

We've had ups, downs, been well off, been poor and have had everything work out because we each think the other is pretty damn awesome. We're alike in many ways and different enough to pick up each other's slack.

>> No.8510337
File: 334 KB, 1131x1221, CircleCA050804-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

nope. i've never really had a significant other yet, unfortunately. but i did have my first sexual experience through a con. it's a mixed feelings sort of deal. i really liked the guy and thought he was cute, and i got really turned on being with him and going further and further, but when it was all said and done, it kind of made me feel bad because i realized that despite the fact that hooking up with him was fun, i was more attached to him than he was to me. i was crushing hard on him and his reciprocal attention made me feel special. it was great and all and we hung out all the con even after the sex but i realized later on that he wasn't really even into me; he was already in an "open" relationship and i'd known that ahead of time and was cool with it. it's just that when i really thought about it later, i felt like an idiot for thinking he cared about me and like our time meant anything to him. to me it felt important while to him i was probably just lust target of the weekend.

it's sad this is my most romantic experience i've had

>> No.8510387

>>8507538
I hooked up with a guy "cosplaying" Chad because I have a terrible sense of humor. It was fine because he wasn't really a Chad.

I would also strongly consider hooking up with a body-accurate Daredevil cosplayer (black outfit) and anyone cosplaying my anime boyfriends

>> No.8510408

Meeting someone at a con would be awesome, but there's only a few each year! How the hell am I supposed to find a qt I have stuff in common with the rest of the year?

>> No.8510411

>>8507538
kill yourself my man

>> No.8510433

>>8510337
for better or for worse you're part of the majority of women with regards to sex and infidelity (open relationship or not). men tend to place more intimacy and value in sex, women less so and they're more concerned about emotional infidelity.

>> No.8510485

>>8509639
What state are you in anon...? At my local cons I always see a equal amount of black dudes and every other race chillin with some QTs :C

>> No.8510494

Through tumblr sadly enough, but we have similar interests and our personality types mesh so well it just immediately felt right.
3 years now! He couple cosplays with me and loves seeing me sew.

>> No.8510532

I had a huge crush on my bf when I meet him through a card game we play (yugioh). He was really anti social due to some problems he had so he had very few friends.
He liked me just a bit until on my birthday I went in with a lolita coord (simple but very cute) at our high school. He told me when I walked out to the hall ways to go talk to him, the light of a thousand suns shone on me and that he heard angels(?)/music sing in the back ground. After that, he found a really intense interest in me which made him act shy and very corny around me until he asked me out and requested to wear lolita to our first date.

Two years later, engaged, and happily together, he helps me with coording colord and stuff and we watch anime together often and also read mangas if we have time. Sadly my bf is not a huge weeb like me but he loves the fuck out of SMT games and anything related to that for cosplays and shit.