[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 917 KB, 2448x2448, nKcKDw8 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8489345 No.8489345 [Reply] [Original]

Can we start a resin thread? Post pics of some of your stuff, link to your shops, and ask questions! I love resin pieces and I just made my own for the first time (pic). I'm really happy with how they turned out, there aren't any bubbles (some glitter from my table is on the outside of some of the pieces in the pic bc I didn't notice until I had uploaded it ;-;) and I think they look pretty cute. The only problem is that the back of three of the pieces are sticky. I'm not sure if it's because I used acrylic to color or if I didn't mix the resin well enough. The backs of two other ones (one not in pic) are fine though, and I used acrylic. I'm not gonna worry about it since they'll be pins for myself.

>> No.8489351
File: 521 KB, 2448x2448, ez47wsZ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is my favorite one. The edges are a bit rough, but I think it's because the mold was a cheap, shallow one from Hobby Lobby.
What are your favorite places to order molds from? I want some simple ones like biscuits, planets, hearts, etc. I've found a lot on Storenvy and Etsy but I was wondering if there were any independent stores that sell some.
Also, is this resin good? Or is there anywhere else I can buy large quantities of it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRYSTAL-CLEAR-EPOXY-RESIN-1-Gallon-KIT-FOR-SUPER-GLOSS-COATING-and-TABLETOPS-/131451636232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9b20ca08

>> No.8489379

Bump for intrest. I use store envy for molds, but all mine are simple, one colored shapes for cosplay.
How do you get multiple colors? Pour two different colors at the same time?

>> No.8490079

>>8489345
Don't use acrylics anymore. You don't want any water in the resin and acrylics are water based.
Use resin dyes or oil paints if you still have to be cheap.

>> No.8490081

I'd highly appreciate any contribution to this thread. I have a bunch of molds and a can of clear cast but I've been too much of a pussy to take the jump and actually cast anything

>> No.8490086

>>8490081
You should just do it. It's really east to get into and so much fun

>> No.8490097
File: 281 KB, 540x300, http%3A%2F%2F40.media.tumblr.com%2F45597288779d909a87f228be38fd92c3%2Ftumblr_nff7ux1rCN1qze06ao3_540.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can we talk about polymer clay charms too please?

I don't know much about resin, but would be open it using it but I like to make my own stuff. I guess I could start trying to go into the direction of making molds with polymer clay and then using those to cast resin.. I'm not sure how to do sculpt a mold though.

>> No.8490141

>>8489345
try to sand the back with sandpaper.
rubbing baking soda on the stickiness helps too. if some one knows even a better way to smooth out stuff, feel free to correct me because i am also looking for ways to better my resin making. also you can look on etsy, they have lot of molds on there. ebay too. but i like the ones on etsy better. MoldedFromLove is one mold seller on etsy who comes to mind.
advice on how to clean molds is appreciated too. I hope a lot of good ideas can be exchanged in this thread

>> No.8490330

>>8489345
I'd like to start making resin trinkets for myself. The only problem is that I'm going to art school in September and space is limited inside dorms. Should I even try to make resin stuff in my dorm? Or just leave it in the workshops? Also requesting some links to cute molds, angel wings and fruit especially

>> No.8490456

>>8490097
Mold making is super easy! You just need a two-part putty. Ideally you want something soft like silicon, or else you'll likely have to break the mold open to get your resin piece out.
I tried out a silicon putty, and the mold 'hardened' in only a few minutes, with a consistency similar to those Livestrong bracelets (same stuff). It's safe to use, too, and probably a little too fun for its own good.

>> No.8490459

>>8490330
It's not so much an issue of space as much as it is safety/comfort. You really don't wanna be breathing those fumes in for any long period of time, especially in a closed up dorm. Everyone will be able to smell it, too. Not pleasant.

>> No.8490470

For making moulds I use Formaform. It's made of synthetic rubber and you work with it as you would with wax (melt on the stovetop and shape), so each mould is reusable. It's quite a bit cheaper than silicone (especially the ones for edibles), the only drawback is that it can get messy and make your place smell like a fisherman's shack.

>> No.8490477

>>8490330
Make sure to air your gaff out well before and after using resin. Work near a window and keep it open.

>> No.8490490

>>8490470
How hot does it need to be? I've used cheap thermoplastics (not for molds) that need to be stovetop heated but I found the melting point to be just high enough that it was nearly useless for hand-molding.
Mainly I'm more concerned with accidentally melting or ruining whatever you're making the mold from.

>> No.8490826

>>8490490
Seconding this. Does polymer clay molds work with resin too? I really want to get into polymer clay and resin to sell some pieces but idk if the molds could work with both of them. I remember someone on facebook asking a polymer clay store if their molds could also work with resin and they said no because the molds were too soft or something like that. So, my question is if I need to buy different molds for each or not?

>> No.8490830

I've been using Oyumaru for almost all my molds for as long as I can remember. Not exactly professional, but really easy and useful. I'd reccomend trying it if you need a lot a lot of molds, I made 12 jelly molds to make a bracelet and earrings for Jewelry Jelly recently.
I've looked up a million articles on this, but is ice resin really worth it? I use the Amazing Whatever and it inevitable yellows. I usually put color in it so it's less noticable, but even resin stuff that I buy from other people yellows at least a little bit.

>> No.8490831

>>8490097
You can always buy some from etsy, store envy or ebay and then see how they are made and try to make your own. Also, youtube tutorials are super helpful too!

>> No.8490839
File: 230 KB, 1275x855, 567890.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Requesting a good tutorial or just tips on how to make a decent whipped cream for polymer clay stuff. Saw a youtube tutorial a while ago and most of them consist on white polymer clay and glue but I'm not sure.
Some random girl who makes decoden cases said that using pic related as whipped cream works just fine but then again I know shit about this.

>> No.8490854

dumping some stores for molds, cabouchons and shit to make your stuff look cute

http://www.storenvy.com/stores/85195-xsorizesupplies
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleGumCrush
https://www.etsy.com/shop/SophieToffeeCo (they also have a facebook page and their store has some stuff on sale right now)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AliceCraftWonderland
https://www.etsy.com/shop/APLUSSUPPLY
https://www.etsy.com/shop/atinyobsession (don't know if they're selling anymore, the last update was around last year or 2 years ago)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JstuffSale
https://www.etsy.com/shop/happymoulds
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheMintBeadery
https://www.etsy.com/shop/MiniatureSweet
https://www.etsy.com/shop/SuppliesForU
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CarmanTreasures

>> No.8490864

>>8490490
It's not intended for hand-moulding, you use the sealant and primer included on an object over which you then pour the molten rubber in as many layers as you like. Like I said, it can be messy work but it's perfectly reusable and the wax sealant/primer can be wiped off of the original with a dry cloth.

>> No.8490907
File: 143 KB, 1024x768, 1sw2jZw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Some of the ones I've made. I bought a few more molds and glitter so I'm probably going to experiment later. Also working on making pieces out of sculpey to make into silicone molds.

>> No.8490912

>>8490907
also I apologize for how messy my work table is lol

>> No.8491002

Does anyone have any tips on making resin lollipops? I usually have the problem with the resin getting on the stick and once I try to take it off, the paper of the stick rips.

>>8490907
Your stuff is really freaking cute. <3

>> No.8491025

>>8490456
That explains why there's so many of them.. I was never a fan of those bracelets.

>>8490831
Thanks! I just make a small cat face or something, bake it for 15 minutes (I make a few different ones) and then sand them off, put on glue so they hold better, and then paint them.

Made some with trial and error and I think sanding them will help for this batch I have now.

I was thinking of making copies of the ones I've got though so I could make several different colors of each, so I could sell them.

>> No.8491030

>>8490839
>may cause eye and skin irritation
and you're gonna put it on a phone case?

>> No.8491083

>>8490907
These one's are super adorable! what did you used to make the bunny's face? also, do you have a store or something? if not, you should totally consider making one, i'll love to buy stuff from you!

>> No.8491093

>>8490459
>>8490477
I guess I'll leave the resin in the workshops then. The school I'm going to is in Savannah and it's hot and sticky year round there. The nice thing about art school though is the easy availability of tools, materials, and workshops to make resin things.

>> No.8491098

>>8489379
This tutorial is super simple but you get the idea of how to get multiple colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V5PcXO8IoY

>> No.8491105

>>8491030
Well, that's why I'm asking for a better way to make fake whipped cream, btw this was the tutorial I saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm06B0Iy7sE

>> No.8491108

>>8489345
>>8489351
Adorable as fuck, 10/10 would buy.
Question, the image at the center of your piece is a sticker or just a normal printed picture on normal paper? do i need to print it on a special kind of paper like photographic paper or something?

>> No.8491125

>>8491083
Thanks! The bunny's face was actually made with some cute face stickers I bought from Taobao eons ago. Sadly, the store I bought them from doesn't have them anymore (I checked cause I wanted to buy some more :c)

I also do have a shop. I don't have much up on it yet cause I'm still working on getting pieces together and taking pictures but I hope to fill it up eventually with resin as well as other handmade crafts.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PrismDream

>> No.8491126
File: 401 KB, 648x486, SAM_4668_original.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pardon the watermark, i plucked it off my storenvy since i'm not home.

>>8490907
these are super cute! i love the heart shaped ones.

>> No.8491129

>>8491108
Not op, but if you print it out on regular paper you will absolutely need to seal it with packing table or laminate it. I'm not sure about printer paper though.
Even with sealing your paper to use in resin there is still the risk of it getting water damage.

>> No.8491135

>>8491125
Bookmarked it, thank you! Well, that's a shame, do you know if markers, painting or something could work if I make a face like that on a resin piece?

>> No.8491138
File: 426 KB, 600x406, resinstuff.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Resin Thread
Wow, thank you OP! Well, this is my stuff. I've been doing resin for a year and I can't make my resin look pretty and clear for some reason, It got a bunch of micro bubbles that doesn't pop out even using a heat gun, kitchen lighter or using a damn straw. To color it I use food coloring for candy(Wilton) and before I invest on white resin dye I used white pigment for food coloring(It was cheaper, but I couldn't get rid of little white dots) I like to use tiny molds I'm kinda stingy so I rarely do bigger pieces.

>> No.8491144
File: 144 KB, 1440x1080, 1433791646950.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8489345
>>8491138
could you guys link your stores please? (if you have any ofc) i love buying stuff online, specially adorable stuff like yours!

>> No.8491149

>>8491138
oh my goodness, the framed ones are adorable. please post shop if you have!

>> No.8491152

>>8491135
if you were fine with it being on top then yes, the stickers are actually embedded in the resin. BUT...and I may test this myself, what about using puffy paint on wax paper, waiting for it to dry completely then putting that into the resin for a face? Could work.

>>8491138
tbh I used white glitter paint (Glamour Dust by DecoArt) for the back of my pieces. I put maybe 2-3 drops in. It's acrylic, which people say not to use, but I've never had any issues with it curing. If you were interested in a cheaper alternative.

>> No.8491159

>>8491152
That sounds 100 times better than thing I had in mind, thank you! I'll try both, the puffy paint and the markers and see what happens!

>> No.8491449

>>8490907
>>8491125

Hey, I just wanted to say that I was the anon who talked to you about resin a bit in the artist alley thread (I was thinking about starting to make some at the time). Thanks for all of the info you gave me, I finally made some pieces and it was really fun (I'm OP btw)!

>> No.8491458

>>8491108
thank you! they're all stickers, if you search "kawaii sticker flakes" on ebay you can get 50 for $4!

>> No.8491630

>>8491458
Thank you very much!

>> No.8491955

OMG got a pack of nice foil Mameshiba stickers in Japan and have had no item what to do with them. Maybe I can make them into earrings or something after resin doming

>> No.8491991

I actually want to commission a resin person to make a heart shaped resin pendant for me, in translucent pink with shimmery glitter some of that pearlescent film glitter stuff. A chain with a few pearls would be nice too, but I'm easy going.
I'd rather not pay a fortune or shipping from outside of Europe, so I don't mind a few micro bubbles and a messy back, I'm just shit at resin myself.
Would anyone be interested, what sort of price should I pay? I'd offer my skills in return but all I can do is draw so that's a bit useless.

>> No.8492007

how much do you guys usually charge for your resin? i might start selling mine, but i don't want to undercharge or overcharge.
i was thinking of selling them plain but also giving the buyer to option to turn it into a necklace, pin, ring, etc. the ones i make are pretty much the same style as op pic, lots of glitter and colors and stickers. thanks!

>> No.8492048

>>8491449
Hey!! The resin pieces you made look fantastic C: my fav is definitely the cat one as well. I think the gradient really makes it stand out. I'm glad you took the leap to make resin!

>>8491991
For the necklace...maybe $12? I wouldn't pay more than that TBH. Maybe $20 MAX with shipping depending on where you live. I'd offer but I've never made necklaces before. It's something I'm planning on doing in the future.

>>8492007
Rings and pins I charge $6-7, the larger keychain size is $8-10, small keychain is $3-5. I haven't done necklaces yet. Then again, I've only start selling resin pieces so, I may not be the best guide on that.

>> No.8492130

>>8492048
Thanks for your input! I really respect resin and hope more people show their stuff

>> No.8492167
File: 452 KB, 440x330, shy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who else when making resin ends up literally covered in glitter cause it's unpreventable for me lol. I always look like I stepped out of a shoujo anime.

>> No.8492189
File: 165 KB, 1024x768, magical_pin_assortment_by_oceantann-d8cz94l[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone have tips for making charms like these? It looks to me like resin bubbled over artwork without using a mold.

>> No.8492193

>>8492189
Those are Shrinky Dinks.

>> No.8492257

>>8490907
The bows look really cheap and the pink hello kitty one looks like a bottle cap. Everything else is solid though.

>> No.8492262

>>8491126
I seriously love your shit omg. I wish I hadn't lost my job the other day, otherwise my money would be in your pockets right now.

>> No.8492289

>>8492257
lmao yeah the bows were just me dicking around with what I had and trying to find a way to hid the eye screws since the only ones I could find were really clunky ones at Lowes. I got some smaller ones now, and will be buying better ribbon to pre-make some bows with tomorrow while I'm in the city. I also got some star charms to attach when I get some jumprings.

The hello kitty one, is there any particular reason why it looks that way? There isn't much dimension between the background and the sticker I suppose.

thanks for pointing stuff out, I'm always open to con crit. I get overzealous and don't notice shit usually (either with art or with resin work)

>> No.8492303

Is making resin jewelry as simple and cost effective as using shrink plastic?

I've started using shrink plastic and selling on etsy and I'm super happy with it! But I've been thinking of getting into resin to make little connector beads, as shrinkies aren't so good at super tiny things!

Is resin easy to use for super small things?

And what can you use to make your own molds?

>> No.8492317
File: 696 KB, 1936x1936, IMG_20150719_205709.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what do you guys seal images with before putting them in resin? I'm having problems wihth in running like a seagull after a piece of bread

pic related, the non photo ones are fine but my prints bled all over in the other two

>> No.8492328

>>8492317

I really can't help you there since my only foray into resin was an absolute flop, but I like the wirework on the top right.

Sage for off topic.

>> No.8492329

>>8492303
Resin is pretty good for anything, but how you use it depends on what you want to make.

Also, molds wise you can use mold putty or instamorph (which is reuseable)

>>8492317
I used packing tape, not really the BEST method though cause no matter what you still run the risk of water sneaking in.

>> No.8492353

>>8490826
Polymer clay is tricky because it's so firm. Even if you softened it up in your hands to excess, it's not going to take to the little details of the mold.

You can technically use them for larger and less detailed shapes, but resin molding and clay molding are really two different beasts entirely and you're better off using a firm mold for clay.

>> No.8492354

>>8492317
Mod podge

>> No.8492361

>>8492317
i also use packing tape, then seal the edges with mod podge.

>> No.8492369
File: 111 KB, 732x720, maxresdefaultrrrr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8491030
I assume that only means while it's still wet/workable. Even resin itself is a serious irritant before it's cured.

>>8490839
Mod Podge has a newish product called collage clay, but it's clearly marketed for sugary frosting decoden crafting. I haven't tried it myself, but if you're ever in a pinch or don't want to make it yourself, it should work fine. Maybe not for heavy duty things like actual phone cases (according to reviews), but still. We have it at the Michaels I work at.

That being said, I like the brand but it's definitely pricier for the name. I imagine this is similar to their glue-gun mold sticks, which have the same consistency of actual glue gun sticks but are more expensive. It's just more targeted marketing for the same product.

>> No.8492479

>>8490839
I use silicone caulking usually, it holds up way better than anything else, but it will fall apart after a few months if you use it on a phone case or something you handle 1000x a day. For using with polymer charms, it should be fine.
I cut a hole in the corner of a bag, put in a PLASTIC (you will never be able to clean a metal one, it peels right off plastic) icing tip, tape that shit tight on, and use a caulking gun to pump out the silicone bathtub caulk into the plastic bag. Pipe per usual.

>> No.8492622
File: 2.64 MB, 3840x2160, DSC_0816.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been addicted to making resin pieces recently. Uv resin is really convenient, I just pop it in a uv lamp and it's dry in 10 mins tops.

>> No.8492624
File: 2.84 MB, 3840x2160, DSC_0803.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8492622

>> No.8492721

>>8492622
>>8492624
Please tell me that you have a shop or do commissions. I would love something like both of these frames to coord with my dresses.

>> No.8492725

Where do you guys buy your frames? Do you go to craft stores, etsy, aliexpress, etc?

>> No.8492740

bless this thread, seriously

>> No.8492762

>>8492721
I'll be glad to! I'm Darkxdelirium on tumblr, you can PM me there.

>> No.8492765

>>8492725
I go to local scrapbooking stores, but they're expensive. I'm thinking of trying etsy or taobao next time.

>> No.8492781

After seeing this thread and looking into making my own stuff, I found this etsy shop that sells uv resin and molds!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/1127handcrafter?section_id=13133563&ref=shopsection_leftnav_9

I have bought from this shop before a while back for needle felting wool but they never had the resin or molds before so it's brand new. They ship pretty fast too so that's a good thing from them.

>> No.8493111

>>8491138
These are the cutest charms I've seen! Is there a place where I can see/buy more from you?

>> No.8494632

>>8492624
This is so cute!

>> No.8494725

How much does everyone pay for casting resin?

I live in New Zealand and was looking at buying some but it came to around $40USD for around 200ml.. Is that expensive in comparison to what everyone else pays?

Also when adding glitter do you need to use solvent resistant glitter or can you just use any old cheap shit?

Im not sure I wanna jump into making it if its gonna cost me a ridiculous amount..

>> No.8494806

>>8494725
i live in canada and the kit cost me 35.99 at michaels for like 100ml

>> No.8494808

i forgot to pick up releaser, i have wd-40, cooking spray, vaseline, olive oil, plastic wrap and that's about it. which should i use?

>> No.8494810
File: 73 KB, 500x528, origamipaperpendants.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8489345
Gosh anon those are kawaii. I was really into resin a little while back but most of my pieces turned out pretty ugly. I always had a problem with something.

>not enough glitter
>air bubble in worst fucking spot
>resin was sticky

etc. Maybe I just have problems with attention span, idk.

Pic related is some understated pieces that turned out ok. The rest really wasn't worth photographing.

Also I should note, for anyone in Ontario, get your resin at Currys. The only other place I know of that sells it is Michaels. Not only is it expensive there but the selection is also shit. And Amazon didn't have shit last time I tried to shop for it there.

>> No.8494872

>>8494806
I feel like that is waaaaayy too much and everyone in the US is pointing and laughing at us right now..

>> No.8494878

>>8494725
I live in Finland and have paid for mine around €22 at the local hobby shop. It's a German brand though, the ones people recommend online are only available through German Amazon with shipping out the ass (or UK Amazon with shipping out the ass)

>> No.8494883

Is 100g for $65 usd a lot for UV Resin? Just wondering. Or is 25g for $22 better to start off?

>> No.8495060

>>8494725
I dont make huge batches of resin so i just buy Easy Cast that gives you 8oz. With a coupon it's like $6. Glitter wise you can use whatever. You can use food sprinkles and candy too. Really, anything goes.

>> No.8495312
File: 210 KB, 1024x768, 2015-07-20 23.21.36.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I got all amped up to cast my first charms and this is the shit I found.

>> No.8495337

>>8495312
That fucking sucks ass man. Try to see if you can return it to the store if you just bought it. I never done resin crafting before so idk if you can make it liquid again but I doubt it so might as well just exchange it and check it before you buy it or just get a refund.

>> No.8495559

So Daiso apparently sells UV resin. Anybody have any experience with those?

>> No.8495576

>>8495559
It's pretty good. Just a little sticky when dry.

>> No.8495773

>>8495312
What's wrong here? It looks like you've taken the screw cap off but not the inner cap?

>> No.8495784

>>8490141
Get that stuff you use to repair scratches on cars! It's a gel that you rub on and buff off. It's saved so many of my resin pieces.
>>8489345
If you're using crystal clear casting resin, the stickiness means it isn't completely cured yet. Usually after 48 hours it's completely hard. I've used acrylic paints to colour as it's so much cheaper than dyes, and I've never had this stickiness problem.

>> No.8495790

>>8491138
If you blow gently on the surface of your casts shortly after pouring, the bubbles will pop and you'll have nice clear casts. But it might be that your resin is old and going off too.

>> No.8495791

>>8492369
I like Mod Podge's deco cream. The pink is a really nice pink and the white looks more like real frosting than piped silicone. But It's expensive ($9.99 for a tube vs. $2.99 for a larger tube of silicone) and I'm not convinced it's going to hold up as long. I've only used it on deco boxes and jewelry, it might not hold up on a phone case which is being touched constantly and thrown around.

>>8491030
Don't worry, that's just when it's wet! I have sensitive skin and I've never had an issue with it, the worst thing can be the smell while it cures.

>> No.8496096
File: 538 KB, 720x540, SAM_5337.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Random assortment of resin pieces.
I haven't gotten around to buying pretty glitter.

>> No.8496114

>>8496096
where did you get those little animal stickers/images from? the nesting dolls, so cute..! good job!

>> No.8496126
File: 297 KB, 432x576, SAM_4324.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8496114
Thanks! I drew them myself and cut them out, so I guess they're OOAK. Actually, only the Rilakkuma ones are stickers.

>> No.8496168
File: 731 KB, 477x605, matryoskat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry for potato picture, I forgot to take a photo with my actual camera before giving it to my friend.

I did a lot of handrawn/painted images domed with resin when I was starting out.

>> No.8496864

>>8496168
Aww that's so cute! Do you just draw them on regular paper and spread resin on it? Would that be durable?

>> No.8497668

>>8495773
The whole can catalyzed for some reason. That solid mass is the resin.

>> No.8498241

>>8496126
what sort of resin do you use for doing this sort of charm? I really want to give this kind of resin charm making a go

also I've heard you can use the resin they use to cover tables. is that true?

>> No.8498278

Do people actually buy this stuff?

>> No.8498324

>>8497668
This can happen due to light and heat or over time. I had resin in plastic containers and they just turned to gel in the heat.

>> No.8498614
File: 7 KB, 200x200, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8498278

>> No.8498783

>>8498241
That is true, look up 'envirotex lite'

>> No.8498787

>>8496864
You need to seal them sure, but I don't think you'd have any problems.
>>8498241
Regular casting epoxy resin, look up Ice Resin or the one I mentioned above

>> No.8499558
File: 324 KB, 576x432, SAM_4387.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8496864
They're on mixed media paper, so it's thicker than normal. And yes, I just dome the resin over them. They're pretty strong, assuming that the resin is mixed well and all that.

>>8498241
I actually do use the table top resin stuff. I get it at Home Depot. I can't recall the specific brand name though, since I pour the resin into different bottles.

>>8498787
I don't always seal mine. I typically paint the back white. It depends on what kind of look you want. Pic related isn't sealed. The back is painted white and the lines are done in white pen. By not sealing it, it makes the paper transparent and makes the white lines standout.

>> No.8500299
File: 27 KB, 453x466, 43267.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how do you guys clean your molds? for resin and polymer clay need to be two different process, right?

>> No.8500307

>>8500299
For resin, wait until it hardens then just peel it off.

>> No.8500542

>>8500299
To clean my molds of pesky glitter I take packing tape and pat the sticky side against the mold to pick up any stragglers. It's really useful. Also, warm water.

>> No.8500625
File: 802 KB, 500x1764, resin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Posted this in the AA thread awhile ago but here are some pieces I've made. My goal is too open up a -kawaii- type store like CCK or Kawaiigoods or something, but after my cons this year I have to replenish my stocks.

I'm not a fan of using stickers myself in pieces since I intend to sell and I'm also an artist, so it feels weird to essentially re-sell someone else's art?? But I've seen really cute ones done with stickers that I like.

>>8500299
I wash my silicone molds with dish soap and water, just kind of wash the glitter and such out with my hands. You wouldnt want to use abrasive washers like a steel wool or rough brush, it would tear up the silicone. I've also heard that you want to keep you molds separate from clay and resin use? I'm not sure the reason but maybe if you used clay its residue would stay in there or something and mess up your resin curing process, idk.

>> No.8500644

>>8500625
I like your stuff! It's very cute and looks well made! Hope to see your shop open one day.

>> No.8500646

>>8494810

Some troubleshooting for you
>not enough glitter
I feel you, its restricting not having cute glitter. I recommend aliexpress if your patient with shipping taking 20 - 40 days to arrive. Look in the nail sections, they have tons of cute glitters and embedments for inexpensive. Michaels also has the nice Martha Stewert glitters and stuff, would only recommend if you use the %40 coupon though.

>Airbubbles
I use a lighter to pop air bubbles in my piece, but I know others will also use a heat gun or a straw and their own breath. I use my lighter like crazy and if I see stubborn bubbles I'll move them to the surface with the toothpick and pop them with the lighter again.

>Sticky resin
A way to save sticky resin pieces is to cover them with a glaze. I use my standard sculpey glaze which is Varathane floor glaze. Comes in matte and shiny, I went for the shiniest option. Also sticky resin is likely caused by not enough stirring or improper cure temperatures. Resin loves heat, so make sure you aren't letting your resin cure in a cool place. Mix the resin thoroughly and I usually put both of my resin bottles (resin and hardener) in a bowl of warm water to warm up the liquid first before measuring. This applies only if you are using epoxy though (envirotex lite, easycast, etc)

>> No.8500683

>>8499558
Ahh, your crystal pieces are so lovely!

>>8500625
>elementary school nostalgia
>the yearning is real
God damn these are nice. How much do you usually sell a necklace for?

>> No.8500727
File: 184 KB, 300x302, epoxy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8500683

At cons I sell the heart/star shapes for $10 and the crystal and shell for $12. For online prices they will be making a jump though to help with shipping costs, but still I think the price range would be $12 - $17 . Thank you for the compliment ! I'm glad you enjoy them.

>>8500644
Thank you !

>> No.8500740

>>8500727
>you continue to post pictures
>WANTING INTENSIFIES
Ribbing aside, I eagerly await your store anon! These are super adorable and I can't wait to be a sparkly princess. Last question, ...do you go to any west coast cons in the US?

>> No.8500745

>>8437591 here and >>8500625 is exactly what I'm after, especially if you ever decide to go a little bigger with the heart pendants. When will you start selling?
I've left my throwaway incase you start up a mailing list or something for your shop
>>8499558
These are so cute, I'm sure i saw them on tumblr and loved them a while back.

>> No.8500756
File: 193 KB, 305x302, rings.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8500740

Oh my gosh thank you so much !
> ; u ;

If you're interested in updates I've been quite into instagram recently for posting WIPs and completed pieces. I have new completed pendants I want to share but I have to wait until morning when the lighting is good. https://instagram.com/lunella33/ . I'm also into making polymer clay things, but I didn't post any since it was a resin thread.

I'm located on the west coast but I'm in Canada. Once I build up a bit more business I would love to travel to cons outside of my area !

>> No.8500789

>>8500745 I meant to say that I'm >>8437591 but my phone's weird
>>800 750 awesome, I've just followed you thank you!

>> No.8500808

>>8500745
>>8500789

I was a bit confused haha, thank you for clarifying but I think your phone is still doing weird things since everything is crossed out?

I'm hoping to open up my online shop in August, I'm in the progress of creating more items for sale. I will definitely think about making a bit larger hearts! I love hearing feedback so I appreciate it.

>> No.8500811

>>8500756
Following! I need to make some bank now for all of of ya'll here cause damn, you ppl know who to craft.

>Captcha made me look for salads
>Everything but the two pics of salads were cakes, donuts, fried food, and fast food
>kek

>> No.8500823

>>8500808
Sorry, I'm not sure why it's doing that, it's embarrassing to see.
Keep up your lovely work and hopefully I'll have some dealings with you in August, good luck with AAing at cons!

>> No.8500831

>>8500823

No worries, these things happen. Thank you for all the kind words !

>> No.8500846
File: 35 KB, 496x351, FB_IMG_1436327926530.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Mfw I'll make plushies for people who make me these adorable fucking charms
You guys are talent. I just sew shit.

>> No.8500869

>>8492622
>>8492624

How much would stuff like this sell for? It seems different from the style of >>8500625
So I was wondering what the price range anons would pay for hair clips and brooches in this style.

>> No.8500907

>>8500869
Depending on the quality, I would pay from $10 ~$18. Like I said, depending on the size, quality, and work, ppl will pay more.

I am getting paid soon so I might commison to get something similar to >>8492624 from the anon. She left her tumblr here so you can PM her there.

>> No.8501313

>>8491138
How did the bottom left get made? With a mould as well?

>> No.8501407

>>8492369
vanilla and strawberry - are those just color names or is it scented?

>> No.8501628
File: 394 KB, 864x864, pink_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8500869
Moss Badger sells them for $6 but they have less stuff on them

>> No.8503242

>>8501407
Those are just the colors. The only good thing about that brand of deco whipped cream, is that there are no harsh chemicals unlike silicone. I don't like it but it seems fine for simple projects in my opinion.

Also I found out my local daiso has uv resin in small tubes. Might buy all the types they have and put a little review here if this thread is still alive and if my local daiso doesn't sell out of them

>> No.8503266
File: 187 KB, 302x300, sdidd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8503242

Please do! I've been curious about UV resin since it has such a shorter curing time. But I've heard it can have troubles curing if you load too many glitters and such in? Please report back if the thread is still here!

>> No.8503273
File: 23 KB, 337x426, 1435826410232.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8489345
What's the difference between polyurethane and epoxy resins?

I googled, but I don't understand it. Which one should I use?

>> No.8503276

>>8503273

Epoxy most likely. I'm going to make a really long post explaining the difference so give me a moment

>> No.8503283

>>8503273
>>8503276

OK so epoxy resin is a 2 part resin consisting of the hardener plus the resin itself. Most brands use a 1:1 ration to mix (but I have heard of others such as 2:1). The main thing is that it is somewhat safer than polyester resin to use. You do not need much special equipment to use it besides avoiding it touching your skin. You can use gloves if you're clumsy with your hands.

Polyester resin is a fiberglass resin that cures much harder than epoxy resin, but it is much more smelly and unhealthy to be around. It is advised you wear a respirator while working with this resin. It is a resin that uses a catalyst instead of a hardener(?) It comes with a small drop bottle of catalyst that you only use a measurement of drops into your resin. You have to play around with how much you use since it depends on weather/humidity. You would need more catalyst in cold or humid weather. While you would want to reduce this number in more ideal conditions since the resin would harden in your mixing container before you even got a chance to pour it.

I realized you meant polyurethane but I misread as polyester. I haven't done as much research into this type of resin but this page sums it up fairly well https://www.artmolds.com/polyurethane I'd say it sounds fairly similar to epoxy except it might harden up more but is more expensive to obtain.

>> No.8503287

>>8503283

I thought I might as well share the info since I had already written about polyester, sorry haha. Also I forgot to mention that the depth of cast you intend to make also matters. Epoxy doesnt do well for larger casts thus you would want to try polyester or a different kind. Theoritically you could use epoxy for a deep cast but you would have to slowly build it up by pouring in a little, letting it cure, and then repeating those steps which would take a damn long time.

So in summary -
If you intend to use your resin for jewelry or other small items I would recommend epoxy.
If you are planning on making large props or casts, I'd look into polyester or do more research on polyurethane.

>sorry for so much information vomiting, I hope all of this makes sense

>> No.8503300

>>8503287
Thanks Anon this is useful info

>> No.8503334

>>8503276
Thank you so much, anon!

>> No.8503453

>>8490330
Dorm resin experience. Do NOT use polyester resin. It will stink up your entire floor and your RA will come knocking no matter how many windows you open. Your best bet is to do with epoxy resin that doesn't smell as much and leave it in a trusted stairwell. Dorm dwellers can be assholes, especially undergrads, so just be careful of that. I used to cure stuff in the stairwells in my grad dorm and no one bothered it.

>> No.8503683

>>8496168
Oh my god is that some Jetoy

>> No.8503830

>>8500625
>>8500727
>>8500756
Fuck Anon, I love your stuff. There's so much generic resin crap out there, but just looking at your pieces really pleases me.

>> No.8503914
File: 510 KB, 600x605, IMG_6516_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry for the lateness!
>>8491144
>>8491149
>>8493111
I do have a store! But I don't sell this stuff also I should mention I'm not from US, so mostly I sell my resin pieces locally. I can add them to my store tho! You can find me at chestore(storenvy)

>>8491152
Oh! Thank you! I always have a hard time finding supplies here. There is almost no cute iridescent glitter(White iridescent glitter here looks gray instead of white) I tend to import my supplies from ebay/etsy/taobao.

>>8495790
I think it's the type of resin? Resin is sold here without any type of indications of how to use or what components are made of. I think the one I use is kind of industrial, it cures very clear but with a bunch of micro bubbles. I can pop the ones in the surface but not the ones inside. I've tried with other brands of resin that cures clear and cures faster too. But for some reason it tends to get cloudy if there is no strong light nearby(such as sunlight)

>>8501313
You mean Bortcat? Er...The gray cat? It's not made with a mold but what I do is:
>I print my drawings on regular couche paper. I usually draw them with a thick dark border, because resin tends to stain this kind of paper but just the edges where the paper is cut.
>I cut some polymer clay with the sillouette of my image with 3mm aprox the border(For the cat I used actually cold porcelain, but I hate it because it shrinks and gets deformed when it dries, polymer clay works better)
>I bake the piece, paint a white coat of acrylic paint and glue my picture(If the border is black, after gluing I paint the border with black)
>After all is dry, I dome it with resin(I add some fine glitter, a bit of it)
>When one side is cured, I dome the back as well.

A better-executed example is <this picture. I really liked the back, washi tape doesn't stain with resin. But being honest it's a hassle to make. I just saved some money to print acrylic charms. I don't discard the idea for making something more personal tho, they are cute.

>> No.8504123

>>8503242
where are you, is your daiso my daiso?

>> No.8505619

>>8504123
If your daiso are in Southern California, USA. More specifically in the area of LA, Torrance, Gardena, City of Industry, and OC. Then yea it is your daiso. Some take a bit longer to get stuff than others sadly but get the same items eventually

>> No.8505645

>>8505619
>SoCal Daiso
>HEAVY BREATHING.PNG
I've never worked with resin before but being able to cast would open up so many more cosplay avenues. Getting my ass there tomorrow.

>> No.8505843

>>8505645
Some daisos have them, others don't cause it varely came out ya know. If you find it in a certain one, please let us know!

The one I am going to is in LA and I hope by the time I go there, it hasn't sold out.

>> No.8505858

>>8505843

I'm going to the Daiso in Vancouver Canada on Monday, I'll report back if I see any !

>> No.8505972

small question, when i try to use glitter, it all sinks to the bottom of the mold. any tips so that it "floats" instead of sinks?

>> No.8505981

>>8505972

Wait a while before you put your glitter in. Like until the resin solidifies slightly, more like a gel or honey thick state

>> No.8506102

>>8503242
>>8505619
>>8505645
>>8505858
Do any of you guys do/know of any shopping services for Daiso? I moved to the east coast and I really miss Daiso even more now that they got UV resin.

>> No.8508231

>>8503914
Cat-resin anon here, yes, that one!
I asked because any resin tutorial so far has been, if I wanted a resin thing, it had to be the shape of the mold. If I wanted a specific shape like the funny faced cat, before your method outline I would have emersed it in a mold.
Thanks for this! I wanted to make something very specific for my friend's Christmas gift.

>> No.8508930
File: 121 KB, 416x555, PART_1436624729785.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8489345
I have most of my stuff on my instagram:
tracid91

>> No.8512064

bump because i would love to keep this thread going.

>> No.8512154

>>8505972
Like the other anon said it needs to be thick. Tap your resin with a popsicle stick. if it is really gooey, you're golden. Just be aware that the glitter may still drfit towars the center (though it won't sink). I usually wait an hour or two.

>> No.8512599
File: 21 KB, 400x400, soft white shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8492353
Some polymer colors can be softer than others. Sculpey III's white is very soft and picks up major thumbprints. So maybe it could pick up more details in a mold?

If you want to soften it up in another way you can always try adding a little bit of conditioning oil, or folding in a bit of TLS.

>>8492317
Definitely add two or three layers of mod podge to help seal and protect the image.

>> No.8512605
File: 62 KB, 500x422, ed7d2e80a28bbd84e40ee0a0f79e4b04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm going to post a few inspirational resin related items I've saved to keep this amazing thread.

>> No.8512609
File: 278 KB, 640x640, 1429862122739.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8512605

>> No.8512616
File: 40 KB, 640x344, 1429587979198.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8512609

>> No.8512622
File: 79 KB, 570x570, Midnight rose.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8512616

>> No.8512634
File: 90 KB, 600x338, 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8512622

>> No.8512648
File: 8 KB, 336x282, 8c57c325dedac06e155bc3aa6125e301.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8512634

>> No.8512655
File: 93 KB, 612x840, milkspit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8512616
>>8512609
Oh my God, these are so beautiful they have me in literal tears.

>> No.8512667
File: 496 KB, 535x672, 3962a457a271965770426fbb8f09156b4168b4a1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.8512670
File: 217 KB, 640x640, fc70a992632179211882d3f58b453ec148ff688e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8512609
>>8512655
Here's a few more from this person.

>> No.8512671
File: 93 KB, 640x640, 3b42e9fe1d3fc5262a96a52541e7798f501f06fe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Best

>> No.8512687
File: 221 KB, 640x640, 80b1c2f902ef0924ed98464185bb3c0bf3bc5d5d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8512670

>> No.8512693
File: 201 KB, 640x640, d1323f05a90ba04408eaa0c40b603a6e2e920de8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8512687

>>8512667
Those are adorable

>> No.8512944

>>8500646
Aww, thank you for that detailed post!

Personally with me I do own enough glitter, I just end up not putting enough in the mold haha. I've seen some of the glitter you mentioned and it's pretty fabulous although I've actually been lucky enough to get nice colours from the dollar store. I'm totally going to check aliexpress now though. I own a heat gun as well, its only problem is that it blows too hard so I have to be careful not to blow the resin out of the mold.

I think my problem is probably how impatient I am. I do put resin in warm water but I probably don't stir it enough because I want to get to the good part where I pour my casts. I use Easycast for everything.

I'll have to check out the glaze too. I've tried a bunch of different glazes, varnishes and whatnot and nothing was really helping.

>> No.8512990

Everything in this thread looks so cute and fun to make! Where do you even begin if you want to start working with resin?

>> No.8513031

>>8512634
I love these

>> No.8513033
File: 391 KB, 776x592, f4ffd9a1bd327fd57e16b9b28caec826.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8490907
Newest batch of resin. Sorry my lighting is shit in my room ugh. Waiting on my iphone tripod so I can start taking pics to list things on etsy.

I'm pretty happy with how they came out, though a few the backgrounds are a bit too dark and wash out the stickers. Also starting to attempt to make my own molds. the moon on the bottom was my first attempt as well as the larger seashell, but amazing mold putty is not the way to go with that piece. I'm going to need to make my own silicone mold material.

>>8512990
Best advice is to watch some videos on youtube. There's a TON. Your question has inspired me to put together a little Google Doc on resin and resources.

>> No.8513034

>>8512687
holy cute cat goods, do they ship to us? I'm going to cry if you tell me no.

>> No.8513151

>>8500756
>https://instagram.com/lunella33/
PLEASE OPEN A SHOP I NEED EVERYTHING

>> No.8513187

If I get ideas from what I see and make my own unique version, do people generally get upset if I were to sell them.

Like not that similar at all, maybe just the shape?

>> No.8513819

>>8513187
No. A lot of people have the same molds. If you like an idea, use it as inspiration. Just don't completely replicate it. Do something to make it your own. That's how art works.

>> No.8513885
File: 641 KB, 643x635, 200746.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8501628
Her ouija board necklaces look awesome though

>> No.8513919
File: 53 KB, 570x407, 200747.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8513885
I really like these too, from NerdyLittleSecrets on Etsy, have one on the way

>> No.8514172
File: 45 KB, 498x373, Fiberglass_Epoxy_Rod.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I want to make a resin rod, but I want it to have sparkles in it (it will be part of a project). I'm going to make it using a 3d mold. My problem is: how will I keep the glitter from sinking to the bottom? Should I do it in small layers?

Thanks!

>> No.8514191

>>8513919
Be prepared to wait a dynasty.

>> No.8514193

>>8514172
Small layers may be best if you're planning on making it very long. You don't even have to wait for the resin to cure completely to add layers. Maybe like 5 hrs.

>> No.8514207

>>8500756
Are you coming to AniRevo? I'll buy the FUCK outta your resin pieces

>> No.8514220

I'm totally new to resin and I have some questions, I hope you talented people can help me.

How do I make holes into my resin charms to attach them to whatever? How do I attach a screw eye hook? Is that the best option? I've seen people using those tiny drill for modelmaking but also heard it's not the best idea (with no better option provided).

>>8512634
How can I make those? Put a little piece of wood into a perfectly fitting (selfmade?) mold and then pour the resin in?

>>8513885
Do you just paint the letters, numbers etc. after you casted the resin and took it out of the mold? How do you seal it?

>If you know general tutorial and how-to sources about making your charms into jewelry, I'd be more than happy if you share them.

>> No.8514763

> making holes & attaching eye screws

I primarily use eye screws. The resin honestly isn't so hard that you can't just screw it in yourself or use jewelry pliers to get it nice and tight. For extra precaution use E-6000 or KrazyGlue on the eye screw (screw it in then in screw put glue and screw back in.) I plan on buying a small drill to but holes into seashells so when I get it I can test on resin but I'm sure there really is no issue with that so long as youre not screwing it too close to the edge.

> wood pieces in resin
Use a small saw or exacto to cut the pieces to fit.

> Painting in small details
Use a toothpick or small brush to drop in paint messily over the details. Cover it well. Wait for the paint to dry a little then use a damp q-tip to gently rub over and around the crevices. If you accidentally wipe off some of the paint where you don't want to wipe it off just reapply. Once everything is dry and complete use resin safe glaze on top.

>> No.8514881

>>8490079
I know this is from very beginning of thread but what about alcohol based acrylics for hobby stuff? I have a ton of those.

>> No.8514885

I've seen youtube craft channels use dollar store eyeshadow to color their resin. Has anyone else tried this and know of the long term results?

>> No.8515414

>>8514881
I use acrylic paint and I never had any problems. Dunno about alcohol paint tho. If you're worried about how well the pieces will take to cure, you should just use ink (ie: Higgins).

>> No.8515420

>>8514885
ugh forgot to add this to my last post, but, I have used eyeshadow. It works really well BUT you need to make sure to dissolve it really well otherwise you'll get little flakes of color, around the piece, which is fine if you dont mind the speckled look. I'm still working on the best way to use the eyeshadow.

>> No.8515450

>>8514885
My colors are done with eye shadow and white ink to make them pastel and more opaque, >>8496096 aside from the nesting doll ones which are from before I got the ink.

>> No.8516352

>>8514763
Thank you very much Anon!

>> No.8517811
File: 51 KB, 570x855, dd91b30a18f8215e4811d9da7996d929.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's some stuff I'd love to try making someday.

>> No.8517812
File: 49 KB, 570x570, 700d5c3254d28875f11a2344f29ba6b0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8517811

>> No.8517823
File: 67 KB, 570x441, il_570xN.784016325_9w59.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8517812
I'm not sure, but it looks like they swirled a mica powder into the resin for this effect.

>> No.8517833
File: 63 KB, 570x570, il_570xN.444792896_ku1k.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8517823
I like the contrasting glitter size on this one.

>> No.8517841
File: 114 KB, 800x847, 6a00d8348f44da53ef019aff5919ee970d-800wi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8517833

>> No.8517842
File: 517 KB, 1460x1500, il_fullxfull.345767218.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8517841
This one is odd, but unique.

>> No.8518265
File: 93 KB, 960x960, 11705083_730895297022012_5715856153547181710_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Loving this thread! Here's a few of mine

>> No.8521550

>>8518265
These are cute!

>> No.8521915

>>8518265
the umbrella one is pretty cute

>> No.8523300
File: 853 KB, 1564x1564, IMG_20150801_003845.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Polymer clay anon here, does anyone here know if sanding off paint to repaint is a good way of correcting mistakes?

I've painted the ouija one several times now, I'm not sure how much sanding something like polymer clay can take?

Also would like critique, as I'm not sure my stuff is even cute. And in what way could I make them cuter?

>> No.8524720

>>8523300
you need to work on sculpting real bad man
idek what the top one is
probably should work on drawing/painting too

>> No.8524852

>>8523300
I think the cat one is really sweet!
Maybe it would be cute if you used E6000 to add a little bow tie or something to the octopus one?

I'm sure you could probably find lots of good info and inspiration just by searching 'cute sculpey tutorial' or something similar.

Good luck! Keep practicing and I'm sure you'll make some great things!

>> No.8524868

>>8523300
Please work on painting. Your painting is veeeeerry messy. Are you using a small detail brush to paint the eyes and such? Cause I recommend it. If you have too much trouble steadying your hand, maybe try using sharpie.

>> No.8524874

>>8523300
Work on making them more even. The painting and sculpting are both wonky and it looks really obvious up close, maybe not so much from afar. Your stuff has potential but it's still got a long way to go before it's good. On the plus side, you understand the importance of sanding and finishing your pieces, and the stuff you make is cute, it just needs better execution, and that'll only come with practice. Try using a non drying clay to work on your sculpting so you don't spend too much cash on materials.

>> No.8525294

>>8515414
I don't have any issues with lightly tinting with acrylic to create a translucent tint. But anything opaque takes longer to cure. I'll usually tint it lightly and then use pearl-x powders to get it a little more opaque in color.

I tried using oils the other day after reading this thread. Mixed a nice pastel pink color. Spent forever mixing it before and in the resin making sure it was thoroughly mixed. After it cured, I got ivory with red flecks, like the colors had entirely separated during the curing process. I tested it out again tonight and it happens after it's mostly solidified and no longer tacky. So fucking weird. I was just using a cheaper set, obviously because I'm experimenting. I'm wondering if it's due the pigmentation.

>> No.8525311

>>8514191
>>8513919

In a previous thread I think about Kawaii sellers (like Kawaiigoods, Nerdysecrets, HTT, etc) someone posted the goods they recieved from NLS shop. They had a ton of flaws and looked quite gross...

>> No.8525315
File: 152 KB, 852x640, NLS 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8525311

I'm not the owner of the photos but these were what she posted.

>> No.8525317
File: 167 KB, 852x640, NLS 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8525315

imo the bat star looks OK, but I have no idea why NLS would send out this disgusting looking paw. I remember anon has said the dirt on the front of the bow just came like that.

>> No.8525572

>>8525317
NLS stuff also reeks of cigarettes. She fills orders however she feels like. I waited over 2 months for some small things, while people who had gotten her (at the time new) headbands with flowers and antlers were getting them within a week. And all of her stuff is really messy. It's like all she cares about is getting the money and will get to the orders whenever she feels like it. There's other shops that sell the same thing, and do a better job of it.

>> No.8526032

>>8505981
>>8512154
thanks! just saw this!

>> No.8527099
File: 1.55 MB, 1629x1320, 20150802_193109.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've never really done this before and would like some conceit on these. The tiny ones I'm putting onto those pastel plastic chains, but are the others good? I know the miku n len ones are iffy, they're for a friend.

>> No.8527171

>>8527099
Hey anon! May I ask where do you get your plastic chains? I can't find another supplier aside from delishbeads that sells cute pastel chains.

>> No.8527173
File: 134 KB, 301x300, keys.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8527099

Hey anon! >>8500625 here. I'm going to try and give you some pointers as best as I can. For being quite new you are doing very well ! Some of these I think are actually really cute. Of course I'm biased towards the pastel pink/purple one. But I even like the hot pink colors you have going on as well as some of the teal-y blues.

I'm not sure what the mold is but I'm not really feeling the hearts with the indented centers? Its hard to tell from this photo but I think they look really thick? I'd definitely make them half a centimeter to 3/4 a centimeter in thickness if you are planning on making them into jewelry. The sticker placements are a bit off and I think you'd be best finding stickers that would actually fit inside the centers. I've never actually experimented with stickers myself but I think you could try adding the sticker after when the resins cured and then doming the top. I think you might have tried that with the Miku one? But when doming with something that has a cameo type hole (not really sure what to call it tbh), I think you should only dome inside that area, not past it.

>> No.8527177

>>8527171

I think you replied to the wrong person, I dont see any plastic chains in >>8527099 ?

>> No.8527179

>>8527177

never mind I cant read

>> No.8527195
File: 182 KB, 758x521, chainss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8527177
No problem. Just in case of which pastel chain I'm talking about. So far I've found on ebay but they don't have mint or pinks...Mostly I'm looking for the milk white one. I think pandahall used to sell them but not anymore.

>> No.8527201

>>8527195

Ughh I know what you mean. I've been buying from Delishbeads but they are fairly costly and with the Canadian dollar being crap right now it really sucks. I have seen these types on taobao but not all of the colors are the same. Ive never seen "classic pink." But they do have other pastel pinks. You have to really weigh the pros and cons of buying either from Taobao or delishbeads since with SS costs it can sometimes be the same price. If anyone finds these on ebay or aliexpress, please let us all know !

>> No.8527203

>>8527171
I got mine off ebay, still waiting on them to come in.

>> No.8527244

>>8527173
Thank you so much for the tips! The stickers tended to drift or move around after placement, so I'll try to dome them on instead. I'm hoping to get in better heart molds soon.

>> No.8527260

>>8527244

No worries, I hope it was helpful.

From watching tutorials I hear a lot of people "babysit" their stickers since they like to move around a lot. Basically they check on it continuously and poke it back into place. Also like the glitter tip, I would recommend not putting the stickers in until the resin is gooey and thick.

>> No.8527262

>>8524874
Hey thanks for this! I will!

>> No.8527266

>>8524720
It's supposed to be a jellyfish fish or squid of some kind

>> No.8527269

>>8527201
I haven't bought them yet, but I have these saved on my aliexpress

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-plastic-chain-ring-link-acrylic-chain-links-40cm-long-ring-size-7mmx13mm-free-shipping/32314430777.html

>> No.8527303
File: 252 KB, 600x600, Fuld5Large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8523300

I didn't realize until now that was a oujia planchette. I thought it was supposed to be a heart shaped donut haha. Both your sculpting and painting need some work, but I think that top thing is really cute for some reason. Its little legs are so adorable !

It'd recommend watching youtube tutorials, it helped me a lot to get better at sculpting. It also let me know what tools are important and I'd recommend to you if you dont already have them
-Exacto knife
-Sculpy super slicer (the long straight razor in here is amazing)
-Clay ball blending tools (has a metal ball on the end and can help with blending as well as sculpting, cake stores also sell something exactly the same for fondant but I find they only come in larger sizes.)

I dont usually paint my sculpy clay but I would think having a thin and good paint would be important. Your paint at least isn't too globbed on, but your edges are messy sometimes. Although the face of the top thing (squid?) is pretty crisp looking, I would recommend using the ball tool/dotting tool with paint on it to get the same size of eyes so they are even in shape.

A bit of crit for the planchette is the hole in the middle needs to be lower down towards the thinner side of it. I think it could also help if you added more occult things on it to help convey what it is supposed to be. Maybe try painting an all seeing eye or writing OUJIA in fine liner.

One last tip, the absolute best glaze you can get for your clay is Varathane floor glaze. It comes in shiny and matte, and is available at home depot and places like that. Its very inexpensive for how much you get, and is essentially the same thing as the sculpy branded glaze. Do NOT use clear nail polish or anything else harsh. They actually react badly with the clay and cause it to become gooey over time, this can take months though but it has happened to me.

>> No.8527310
File: 150 KB, 1280x721, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8527303
Picture of a varathane container. Most important thing for it to say is "water based" and "shiny/matte" depending on the effect you want.

>> No.8527359
File: 58 KB, 500x445, stickerpendants.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Where does everyone get their stickers? I've gotten a bunch in dollar stores but they don't have much in the way of kawaii. Any ebay or aliexpress stores?

To contribute, I tend to get jewelry findings from 8seasons, they have cheap chains, bails as well as pendant trays and the more you buy the cheaper they are per unit.

>> No.8527405

>>8527303
>I would recommend using the ball tool/dotting tool with paint on it to get the same size of eyes so they are even in shape.
Ohhh! Thank you!! I will definitely get these things, although I use sculpy glaze at the moment, works pretty good as long as I get all the excess off which is hard cause it looks like it's gone but it's still there when I hang them to dry.

I've watched some tutorials on YouTube but I want to create my own stuff and I feel like they only show you how to do certain things. I learned how to do this from some one on deviantart years ago and her stuff sells really well so I kinda want to be as good as her someday.

>> No.8527409

>>8527359

I usually buy official sanrio or San x stickers but the cheapest place Ive gotren cute stickers was my local daiso

>> No.8527415

>>8527409
Can you get in trouble for reselling stuff like that or no?

>> No.8527434
File: 66 KB, 640x480, il_fullxfull.548841280_2zxr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8527405

Yes oh my gosh do it, they are a savoir. They have many practical uses.

I understand what you mean about tutorials, some of them can be like that. But some are very good for teaching a specific technique. Such as tutorials that cover texturing are very nice and textures can apply to many different objects. Learning texture is extremely good for miniature foods such as cakes, breads, waffles, etc etc. Or learning shading with pastels, but that wont help you if you intend to stick with painting.

I'd suggest maybe then looking for painting tutorials? I just did a quick search and found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2efAp-Ljy8 I didn't listen since I can't use my speakers right now, but I saw she did the dotting for the eyes. Something like this type of video could be useful.

>> No.8527440

>>8527415

I'm honestly not sure. I'm >>8500625 and I dont use stickers in my pieces, I just hoard cute stickers. If they are specific characters there is a chance, but if they are generic cute stickers such as cats I don't think its an issue. Maybe its OK as long as the packaging doesn't say "for personal use only" ? But don't take my word, I'm not a lawyer or anything.

Also just saying morally, please do not resell resin pieces with stickers you got from artist alley or independent artists. Just seems wrong imo

>> No.8527539

>>8492189
>>8492193
Ultra kek

>> No.8527560
File: 2.08 MB, 1094x1088, Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 10.58.36 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pardon the watermark, I don't make resin (plush artist here) so I grabbed this off my friend's Instagram because her pieces are super cute. I admire all of you guys for doing these, so many of the ones in this thread look mad adorable.

>> No.8528010

>>8492189
She got a tutorial of how to make this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwOK3pD6NeA
also pretty much what
>>8512667
>>8512671
is.

>> No.8528015

>>8527359
I bought a bunch of cute ones in china town in NYC, but did you dont live near that or similar aliexpress is good. Also iheartkawaii on ebay.

>> No.8528016 [DELETED] 

>>8528015
>iheartkawaii
mfw they have nothing for sale

>> No.8528020

>>8527415
No. You're using it for crafts/creative projects not reselling as is. You bought the stickers you can use them however you want. You essentially paid for the rights to use those (commercially available) stickers. That is unless it specifically says you cannot use them for commercial use which is rare. But similar to what >>8527440 said, if you're using stickers bought from indie artists ASK them if it's okay. They may say yes, they may say no, but it's better than assuming

>> No.8528021
File: 189 KB, 374x348, efwfwgf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8528015
I found the cutest toridori stickers... but they don't ship to Australia. My heart just broke.

IS there anywhere else you can recommend that have the same things buy ship internationally?

>> No.8528024

>>8528021
but*

>> No.8528041

>>8528021
Oh darn. I'm located in US so i'm not sure of places on ebay, but maybe trying storenvy or aliexpress? I haven't bought from these places on aliexpress but they're on my wishlist and I've had no issues with any aliexpress shops in the past.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/119364
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1193535
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1398056
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1358174

aliexpress stickers are usually really general tho. If you're looking for san-x or sanrio or whatever, probably best to look on ebay and storenvy.

>> No.8528044

>>8528021
If you're willing to pay for international shipping it might pay off sending a private message to shops telling them what you're interested in. Sometimes even if they don't normally ship international they may make an exception?

>> No.8528055

>>8528041
Thanks so much, anon <3

>>8528044
I tried, They don't take messages

>> No.8528059
File: 505 KB, 1200x1912, 44735117.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8492193
Do people buy things made with shrinky dinks, or is that generally something people steer away from?

>> No.8528065

>>8528059
If something is well made and cute people will buy it no matter what.

>> No.8528074
File: 61 KB, 640x640, 475b59c0cf5a28cabb23fe4ea69bb3e5d73c2c5c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8528059

Just depends on quality and art. I think shrinky dink keychains that used to be popular in AA just get way too beat up, but if you make shrinky dink pins, rings, or other jewelry could be cute. Bonus points if you dome the shrinky dink with resin. I've done it before and it looks very beautiful. If you dome the shrinky dink keychain, they can actually withstand a lot more beatings. I gave my husband one and he's had it on his keys for over a year now and it still looks really good, and not dirty which happens to the non-domed ones. If the shrinky dinks were like >>8492189 I'd buy them.

>not my picture

>> No.8528823
File: 81 KB, 535x401, 355d9125ca22a5b7c3d8082ef2b2144c4f2bcb01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8528059
If you can make up it to look less cheap and less plastic ish.

>> No.8530129
File: 86 KB, 377x407, !.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8528059
I just wanted to let you know that your Recoome pic has been freaking me out over and over the last 24 hours. Every time I see it I jump.

>> No.8530463
File: 114 KB, 960x960, 11796228_456802477833230_3478299511776764728_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

These are my favorite resin charms i've made so far! The top three are transparent and i recently got the 4 (on the left) molds from moldsbymia on etsy and she sent an extra 2 as gifts! Over all really happy with them and i can't wait to use them!
Also, any place that sells mold release?

>> No.8530466

>>8530463
is there much of a difference between those hard mold and silicone molds?

>> No.8530476
File: 1.98 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just got into resin a few months ago, it is sooo fun!

>> No.8530500

I am thinking of using shrinky dinks and making my own personal charms and dome them in resin to use in my lolita coord.

Do I just use the basic shrinky dink paper that they sell in amazon like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Shrinky-Dinks-Shrinkable-Plastic-Frosted/dp/B0042SYZDE

Or are there more professional ones?

>> No.8530501

How does one get started in a hobbie such as this? What do you need..

>> No.8530539

>>8530476
those are super cute! do you have a store?

>> No.8530542

>>8530466
silicone are much easier to pop out but depending on the texture on the inside of your mold your piece may or may not end up shiny or foggy looking! I have yet to use these but the seller included picture of a piece she made next to the mold and they looked really nice!

>> No.8530566

>>8530501
resin
like this https://www.etsy.com/listing/61986650/easy-cast-clear-casting-epoxy-for-resin?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=resin%20casting&ref=sr_gallery_9
molds
pigments for color* i wont recommend paint
optional: glitter stickers, things to go inside

>> No.8530659
File: 604 KB, 656x657, wgwegweg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8530129
Hello friend

>> No.8530856

>>8530539
Thank you! Yes, it's peppermintbutler on etsy.

>> No.8530905

>>8530856
When do you restock those seashell dangles? I'm in love with them

>> No.8531497
File: 1007 KB, 2448x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was inspired by this thread to try this myself, and it's really fun! Everything here is so gorgeous, I'm looking forward to doing even more. Here's some of my first attempts with a star mold. I'm still bad at doming, haha.

>> No.8531623

>>8530905
I'm not at home until the 17th, but then I'll be preparing for a con so I'll be making them as fast as they will cure.

This captcha is a nightmare on mobile.

>> No.8531655
File: 1.26 MB, 2448x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8531623

>> No.8532221

this is probably a dumb question but god help me, I haven't been able to find the answer. How do I make resin in different, solid colors? Something like >>8531655

>> No.8532252

>>8532221
Ink or pigment

>> No.8532272

>>8532252

yeah, but don't the color bleed into each other?

>> No.8532289

>>8532272
If you're saying multiple solid colors you just paint the mold.

Here's a tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAPFoSqqwXw

>> No.8532306

>>8532272
I'm not super experienced with resin, but I'm pretty sure you could fill the lowest parts of the mold with the colour you want, wait for it to get at least tacky, then continue filling the next level with another colour and so on.

>> No.8532307

>>8532289
>nail polish
for real?

>> No.8532314
File: 458 KB, 850x565, DSC_0045_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Question: when using resin on phone cases (like pic related as an example), would you put the resin on first and stick the pieces straight into it, or is it better to glue them directly on and work the resin around afterwards?

>> No.8532388

>>8532314
Here is a tutorial anon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TwrVfcLpmw

>> No.8532402

>>8532388
That's great, thanks anon!

>> No.8533093

>>8530476
>>8500625
How do you guys make the chains with the beads and stars on necklaces and clips? Do you buy them like that or is there a way to do them?

I went on youtube for a tutorial and it showed the person doing each one by hand. Do you guys have to do each little section by hand?

>> No.8533393
File: 556 KB, 2305x2305, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8532272
I cast those planets and things like pic related in layers, allowing time for each layer to cure enough to stay put.

>>8533093
I bead by hand, yeah. The chain itself comes in one long piece and you cut smaller lengths as you need them. I started learning beading around the same time I started resin. It's pretty easy, there are tons of tutorials on YouTube.

>> No.8533415
File: 280 KB, 1296x864, ed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Finaly uploading mine.

I started my Etsy shop some time ago, got no sales or anything, and I have bills to pay. Now i have to pay andI have no profit anyway.

How do you sell your crafts? Do you use Etsy?
Any advice on finding clients?

>> No.8533420

>>8533415

marketing. make a facebook, tumblr, instagram and tag your posts with relevant tags so other people can find them.

>> No.8533485
File: 3.39 MB, 3264x2248, Resin thread 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here are some of my more recent resin pieces. I love making resin things. Only downside is the curing time and waiting D:

>> No.8533487

>>8533415

Do you have better pictures of those, anon?
They don't look that impressive in your photo, it would help if you had better ones.

Why not post your etsy shop here? Maybe there might be someone interested.

>> No.8533511

>>8503287
>
I use the clear Polyurethane resin so that's the only experience I've had with it. From what I know:

It has a water clear finish
It gets bubbles, you can degass it, some times are not needed to be degassed, but be careful with bubbles.

It cures faster than epoxy.

Certain types of silicone will make the piece sticky for a few days. I find leaving sticky pieces in the sun or by themselves will help the stickiness go away after awhile.

It's more tricky to use than epoxy due to the bubbles.

The part A can crystallize with the air so, you may find your lid to harden to the bottle. There are dry blankets you can use to stop this. Or prevent it for awhile.

^^ But it is def faster than epoxy, so if you don't want to wait for epoxy, this is better in some ways.

>> No.8533591

>>8533487
What kind of photo could I make?
All my photos look like this...
Any advice on how to make them look more than a piece of resin?

>https://www.etsy.com/no-en/shop/AliceMagpie

>>8533420

I will try to get more connected before I actívate my etsy again. Thanks anon.

>> No.8533609

>>8533591
>>https://www.etsy.com/no-en/shop/AliceMagpie

not that anon, but better lighting to show off the glitter and a white backdrop to show the color would help a lot.

>> No.8533725
File: 1.18 MB, 2448x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hey, I was wondering if any of you know what's up with discolored hardener? I just picked this up yesterday and pulled it out of the box and it was like this. I mixed some in the hopes that it was just the amount in the bottle that made it look amber but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I looked some stuff up online and it seems it might just be old? I'm cautious about using it though, due to the discoloration...any help would be greatly appreciated!

>> No.8533802

>>8533725
I've always had easycast look like that which is why I don't use it...I use ice resin http://www.amazon.com/ICE-Resin%C2%AE-Doming-Kit-oz/dp/B00HTRUHGE/

>> No.8534280

>>8533725
If you can, go return it and say you got a bad batch and should not look like that. Some resins have slight color in it which fades when you mix the two part but nothing too dark like your pic.

>> No.8534463

>>8533802
>>8534280
Thanks, anons. I think I'll try ice resin next and see if they'll let me return the bad batch tomorrow.

>> No.8534476
File: 67 KB, 570x461, il_570xN.799874651_2cyv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm trying to sell these on etsy at the moment, this has a vintage feel to it I think.
I haven't tried making any super kawaii things yet.

>> No.8534487

>>8534476
That's beautiful. Are they real flowers or just a picture?

>> No.8534493

>>8534487
It's real flowers! They're dried baby's breath.

>> No.8534626

>>8528020
Thanks for the info! Not the original anon, but I've been wondering about this too. Like you said, I figured it would probably be okay since companies are selling them under the pretense that people are going to use them for arts and crafts, but I wanted to be sure.

In a previous thread (I believe it was Etsy/Storenvy nightmares) someone posted about a person they knew getting in trouble for a charm that looked too much like Pusheen or something and I've been really worried about licensed stuff since then, haha.

>> No.8534660
File: 290 KB, 576x432, SAM_6067.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

made these (along with other things) the other week.

>> No.8534773

>>8534493
Do you dry them yourself?

>> No.8534837

>>8533725
I remember hearing that that happens when hardener is exposed to sunlight. It should be kept in a box or something.

>> No.8535647

>>8534773
I do! I use the easy cast resin set.

>>8533725
I accidentally picked up a box of resin that looked like this and hobby lobby let me return it. Good luck, anon.

>> No.8537397

>>8533393
I tried looking up tutorials on youtube but I am not getting the right results. But wow! It looks like a ton of work but worth it to make a beautiful piece

>> No.8537710

I have a question to all you resin crafters.
How do you seal paper stickers or images that you've printed out yourself before resin?

I've seen some people do it with modge podge, and others use sticky tape. I'm thinking of buying a lamination machine and use that to seal before making charms any advice on that?

>> No.8537874

>>8534660
The one on the left has some issues with the paint, but other than that they look pretty cute! One thing I'd say though is to make their mouths a little less curly (if that makes any sense), it might be just me but I find that it tends to make them look a bit off somehow. Aside from that, it's nice, the resin looks clear, and from what I can see the doming looks good.

>> No.8537877

>>8537710
I've never tried using laminated pieces but it might work. One thing I'd be wary of it the fact that the layers could peel apart and allow the resin in. Maybe seal the paper with mod podge before laminating, just in case.

>> No.8537897
File: 39 KB, 406x391, AHH.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8530659
I was scrolling from the bottom this time...you did it again...FUCK

>> No.8538226

>>8530476
Your little birds are so adorable!
>>8533485
I really like the pink pony in the middle!

Did you guys make your own molds for those?

>> No.8538472

This is >>8533725 here, I was able to return the bad batch get my money back! I also tried ice resin for the first time and it works great. Thanks for the all the help, anons!

>> No.8539010
File: 69 KB, 570x639, il_570xN.786392170_qgbh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8538226
Thank you so much! (I made the birds)

Yes, I make a master out of polymer clay then make a silicone mold off of that.

>> No.8539040

>>8539010
Would you mind describing the process? I looked it up but was wondering if your process was any different, I can't tell if the fine lines on the birds are paint or molding

>> No.8539093

>>8538472
I'm glad you got it sorted, anon! It sucks when these things happen.

>> No.8539136

>>8539040
The fine lines were carved into the master. I actually used paper clay for this one because it's much easier to carve. The difference is that you have to seal the paper clay before pouring the silicone over it.

The first thing I do is draw a picture of what I want it to look like. In this case I needed to come up with a solution for the bird's feet, as they would be too fragile and fiddly on their own. Putting them and the beak on layer beneath the main body of the bird took care of that. Also, having two layers allows me to layer different colors which is nice. Once I have a good drawing of the shapes I want to use, I copy them and cut them out.

Next I make them out of clay. With polymer clay I simply roll a flat piece, lay my paper shapes on top, then cut around the edges. Paper clay is a little different, so in this case I formed the rough shapes that closely resembled what I was going for with a little extra all around. Once it dried I sanded it into the exact shapes using my paper as a guide. With polymer clay I would bake and sand.

Next I cast the mold. I put both layers side by side in the mold so I wouldn't have to worry about keeping them together. I can go into the mold making process if anyone wants me to.

Once the mold has cured I cast my resin pieces. Once the pieces have cured I paint the fine lines, and when the paint is dry I stick the two layers together with a little bit of clear resin and glue in the rhinestone with a tiny drop of resin. The ones I posted are domed, but I recently decided I like the way they look just glazed.

I hope this is helpful! Maybe I should try to make a tutorial, I've never done that before but maybe I could give it a shot when I have time.

>> No.8539143

>>8533393
>>8531655
Oh, and with these, rather than casting each layer separately as described above, I instead made a mold of the whole finished shape. When I cast the pieces I do it in layers. Like with the planets i do the stars and ring first, then the heart, then the background, letting each layer partially cure in between.

>> No.8539146

>>8539136
What materials/brands do you use when making molds? I've seen people make silicone molds using legos to contain it, since it can be made into different sizes. The only molds I have made are rubber latex molds for plaster (in college) and more recently, amazing mold putty. I've found the mold putty doesn't work very well with flat objects though and it dries waaay too fast imo so I feel rushed when using it.

>> No.8539264

>>8539146
I use oomoo. It's liquid, and a little more involved than putty, and the cure time is longer but it's not that difficult to use and it does a fantastic job.

>> No.8539272

>>8539264
http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1113_1136/index.html

>> No.8539602

I have a little question... I made several things with epoxy but they all start to have a little yellowish color... How can I prevent this? And what am I doing this wrong..

>> No.8541069

>>8527173
Are the keys in these metal charms? Is the iridescent background cellophane?

>> No.8541077
File: 23 KB, 333x250, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I achieve bangle

>> No.8541087

>>8539602
I said something about it here >>8534837
But recently seeing some resin videos it turns out that warm weather makes resin yellow too. So it's recomendable to keep it away from sunlight and in a cool place too.

>> No.8541235

>>8533415
What are the necklace back things like this called? I like these ones better, but don't know the word for it.

>> No.8541278

>>8541235
I think hey are called bails? I ordered some from Pandahall recently still waiting for my order tho.

>> No.8541330

>>8528823
Trippy. I like it.

>> No.8542014

>>8541087
hmmm weird cause my hardner is in closed dark containers...
I'm going to look it up more on the internet...

Would you think it would help to let it 'harden' in the dark?
my creations just turned yellowish slowly after it hardened... :(

>> No.8542416

>>8542014
Resin can be sensitive to uv, I know too much sun can turn a resin bjd yellow I'm sure to jewelry too. Depending on the resin you use.

>> No.8543423

>>8542014
it could have been exposed to heat before you got it

>> No.8543599

>>8539272
>http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1113_1136/index.html

Thank you!!

>>8541077
get a mold for the bangle itself, then the piece you want to put on top
E-6000 that shit together

>> No.8543599,1 [INTERNAL] 

Does anyone know any other ways to cure UV Resin from Daiso? Started late so no sunlight...