[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 132 KB, 1024x576, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8419858 No.8419858 [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts on closet cosplay?

Is it frowned upon or ok?

I think it's okay if the cosplay calls for it or as long you don't enter it on a contest, basically for fun

>> No.8419901

Closet cosplay has it's place. It's fine for fun, if someone is just starting to think about cosplaying more seriously, or just to chill at the con and be comfortable.

If someone is in a closet cosplay they should know better than to enter the contest, but if they do, whatever. Maybe they just want to get a feel for it before making something bigger. Some cons have runway or contests with no craftsmanship requirement.

What really ruffles my /cgl feathers is when someone in a closet cosplay makes a big fucking deal about their costume, maybe even doing a shoot and posting way too many pictures. Like OMG I didn't know you had a pair of jean shorts and a yellow top, "Misty" or WOW that's a great Harley quin with your random black and red clothes.

>> No.8419908

It's lazy as fuck.

>> No.8419911

It's fine if you just want to have fun and wander around, but don't act like you're the shit.

>> No.8420079
File: 519 KB, 799x975, Terra_cropped_profile.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is sourcing every piece of an outfit, fitting them together, and adding custom accessories "closet cosplay?" Terra wears pretty much all store-buyable stuff except for a few trim pieces. I'm worried imma get dunked on.

>> No.8421841

>>8420079
That doesn't seem any different from commisioning, so I'd say no. You're still planning it and finding specific and exact pieces. Closet cosplay (at least as I've heard it) tends to mean stuff you already owned and are just tossing vaguely right stuff together to where you look like the character from a distance. Like back in ye olde Death Note days, going through your closet and finding a Hot Topic corset and a tutu skirt. It doesn't actually look like any specific outfit Misa Amane has worn, but if you pair it with a blonde wig it might be recognizable.

>> No.8421849

>>8419858
I don't think there's anything wrong with closet cosplay unless you post online about OMG WIP!!!11 THIS WAS SUCH A DIFFICULT COSTUME :^( BUT ITS SOOO GOOD y'know? Plenty of people do it just to be comfortable at a con if they feel like being casual but also want to fit in.

>> No.8423545
File: 307 KB, 1325x1190, noonenoticed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For fun, sure do what you want.
If some person asks for your photo at a con, you're not the one who wants the photo.

But if it's something like pic related and they selfpost and think it was good, then that's when it becomes cancerous.

>>8420079
How I usually see it, the more you look like you can take it apart and wear it casually the more closet it gets.

For the case of Terra, if you just did black T-shirt that was a little short, brown gloves you randomly found, random belt with pouches that are just pencil cases, and uggs. Then that would be closet cosplay.

If you do like you said and source it well enough e.g. modified top, goggles that match colorscheme, and brown hiking boots then it isn't.

>> No.8425003

>>8423545
I did that with my Dipper cosplay but the Journal Number 3 he has was made from the ground up with a large sketch pad, lots of paint and a lot of failed experiments from using the wrong sized sketch pad and spray paint (keep in mind, that was my first time making a prop)