[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 114 KB, 533x799, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8368642 No.8368642 [Reply] [Original]

Which hobby do you think has more harsh critiques? Which hobby has meaner people in it?

I think cosplay honestly. Some girls in my community spend soooooo much time trying to dig up dirt on other people that they don't lkke because of their cosplays

>> No.8368651

I used to think cosplay was the worst until a lolita said that she was happy someone had lost their unborn baby so she didn't have to leave lolita.

>> No.8368659

Cosplay has desperate attention whores but lolita has all that and a bag of chips tbh I feel like both communities are quite similar but some of the mean, nasty things people say about each other in the fashion is just the cherry on top.

>> No.8368664

I think they're probably equal, but it's more likely for people to be hurt by the harshness in cosplay, simply because most cosplays are handmade by that person. I think there's definitely a difference between shitting on something someone made with their bare hands (even if it's awful), versus something someone just bought and coordinated together.

>> No.8368675

> Harsh Critiques?
Cosplay
> Meaner People?
Lolita

I've been lucky enough that most cosplayers I meet, although catty, can admit we're all nerds in costumes. I haven't had so much drama fighting with cosplayers (maybe one I had a real beef with, but it wasn't over cosplay). But I do see cosplayers rip on others for some super petty shit. It's usually always superficial.

Lolitas do the same, but in my experience, the lolitas are much nastier. I've seen more lolitas wish awful things onto people.

>> No.8368831

>>8368675
>I've seen more lolitas wish awful things onto people.
Such as?

>> No.8368863

>>8368831
BtB. That's probably all that needs to be said about it.

>> No.8368869

Not too familiar with the lolita community, but I'm more inclined to say the cosplay peeps. It's just cause they tend to critique based on how alike the cosplayer is to the character, so they're more strict on the wig, specific colours, body types, etc.

>> No.8368871

>>8368831
Not that anon but a while ago I witnessed shit like
"l that brolita molested her? I hope he rapes her lmaoo thats what she gets for being nice to a brolita"
"you can't be a real lolita if you only own cheaper brands"
"A girl banned me from the comm so I slept with her boyfriend then joined a new one"
"I'm glad your dad died, I wouldn't want to be a father of someone who wears ageplay angelic pretty anyway"

or my own experiences of joining a comm as a newb, being shit on immediately for my shit outfit (face to face) then the comm members avoided me when I asked for help, and continued to shit on me online, even dragging some of my friends into it. That one pissed me off the most
>no one wants an ita bitch in the comm secrets
>everyone actively ignored me when I reached out for help

>> No.8368873

The hobby with the higher percentage of women is going to be the cuntiest. So lolita.

Cosplay critiques will probably be harsher but Lolitas will be far more passive aggressive about it.

>> No.8368877

>>8368831
Generic threats, wishing people would lose their mail or have their brand ruined, cliche death threats, etc. I swear I've seen lolitas online tell others to self harm and such too. I think I've read a few BtB entries that were pretty extreme- especially if they were about individuals in their small comms.

I mean shit, not the best example, but I think the gull who wants to burn the popcorn dress is pretty damn crazy. Bluff or not, buying someone's dream dress just to burn it is pretty damn awful.

>> No.8368885

Cosplayers get worse critiques and harsher treatment by each other and the public. It is in a strange cultural place right now, the center of many ideological debates, popular with fans and fanatics, etc.

Lolita harshness is not on such a public, broad-spectrum scale. Criticism from the outside is sporadic; there are no major lolitas who pull the same cultural/media weight like the cosfamous do. So their viciousness is not checked as much, because they are not under constant scrutiny by people outside the hobby. If lolita became popular among non-hobbyists on the scale cosplay has, things would not be as tightly pressurized because the critical focus could shift from community-level drama to broader social commentary.

Think of bait threads on /cgl/. Most target well-known cosplay hot topics (real fans vs fakers, weight, sloots). Lolita drama stays among people within the hobby and is less likely to be abstracted like that. When a divisive topic comes up, you know it's other lolitas and it stays personal.

>> No.8368889

I think lolita drama is a little worse because it seems more toed into daily life and regular social groups And personal attacks. Cosplay friends tend to be a little more spread out and not necessarily your regular friends and the community has a wider online presence but less people know you personally.

>> No.8368921

>>8368642
I'm both a cosplayer and moderator for one of the larger metropolitan lolita communities.

Completely concur with >>8368675

Cosplayers can be really harsh about accuracy, makeup, techniques, etc, but I've seen cosplayers at least help one another out more.

Moderating gives you a close up of how goddamn petty lolitas are. And hypocritical, when you also know all the gossip AND private details about gossipers that make them total hypocrites.

>> No.8368970

Gyaru community is the worst. But I guess that when you're dressing up like a cunt it's kind of part of the appeal to act like a cunt too.

>> No.8369026

>>8368675
This. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I know of a lot of drama in my local cosplay community since it's easily bigger than my lolita one, but at least it stays local. I feel like my lolita drama gets posted here every now and then and it's really strange for me. Never see that with my local cosplay.

>> No.8369035

>>8368970

deets? I'm in the cosplay comm and I have a few Lolita friends but no other j-fash friends other than that

>> No.8369037

>>8368871
this is what I hate about some of the people in the lolita community. people here do it a lot especially - not giving people help even though they ask for it and just making a bunch of excuses as to why. most of it amounts to girls who just want to continue being catty and bitchy or alternatively are too afraid to give the critique for some reason. (i don't give a shit about the other person freaking out at me, they're the ones who are gonna look like a crazy bitch if they ask for polite crit and i give it to them nicely and they flip)

anyways that's really horrible anon, i hope you were able to find a new comm or at least able to join lolita on your own/with your friends

>> No.8369038

>>8368970
I'm so fascinated by this. why is the gyaru community filled with such seething cuntiness?

>> No.8369074

>>8369035
Gyaru is pretty much dead now, but you can go check out gyaru secrets or pretty much any online community to see what kind of people in general are into it.

>>8369038
I feel like lot of girls who used to be sort of smart always turn into bimbos once they get into gyaru. Maybe it's really just part of it.

>> No.8369075

>>8368871
>"l that brolita molested her? I hope he rapes her lmaoo thats what she gets for being nice to a brolita"
>"I'm glad your dad died, I wouldn't want to be a father of someone who wears ageplay angelic pretty anyway"
>shitthatdidnthappen.txt

>> No.8369099

>>8369075
shit like this is easily said online anon image boards anon, where the fuck have you been.

>> No.8369102

In my experience, lolitas are overall meaner than cosplayers and much more likely to be bitchy when they gossip. However, the bitchiest cosplayers, while fewer in number, are super dramatic megacunts.

>> No.8369108

>>8369102
Thiiis. I'd rather have lolita beef, it'll mostly be backstabbing and btb and shit. I've heard of local cosplayers getting into physical fights and cheating with people's SOs, etc, just real low stuff.

>> No.8369111

>>8369075
I'm pretty sure I've read BtB that sounded exactly like this. Shit like this is said a lot.

>> No.8369114

The cuntiness in lolita is weird to me
no one starts out that much of a cunt.
in fact, new lolitas come into the fashion all adorable and bright eyed, then after a couple of years in they either nope out, become tumblr megacunts, or fall off the grid.

Its bizarre.

>> No.8369130
File: 29 KB, 400x214, fairy kei.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8369108
Eh. This is stuff I feel even normalfags deal with regularly. We only hear about it because they have some relative amounts of fame within the community.

I think both communities have a lot of crazies though that demand a lot of attention despite a refusal to improve their skills or attitude. Because lolitas are less afraid of being blunt I think they get the point across better. Cosplayers tend to be way more afraid of offending someone or being marked as a bigot by criticizing someone who's non-white, overweight or some alternative gender. Thus I feel cosplay is more of a hugbox. It exists in lolita too but there's clearer guidelines and more flexibility because you aren't trying to look like a specific, established character this easier for the noobs and crazies to figure things out eventually.

>> No.8369155

>>8369099
which most of the people that say that aren't even lolitas

>> No.8369201

>>8368871
holy fuck what is wrong with the people who said that.
that like falls under the major 'i need to go to a mental hospital asap' stack.

>> No.8369204

>>8369114
Yep I just fell of the grid and do lolita on my own
I don't even post pics anymore
Fuck that noise, basically.

>> No.8369205

>>8369201
>holy fuck what is wrong with the people who said that.
mostly the fact that those people don't exist outside some people's victim fantasies tbh

>> No.8369212

In my comm lolitas are by far the worst. They're very nitpicky and give out harsh critique to each other while the cosplay community is all about respecting each other's feefees and "having fun", in other words not putting any effort into anything. I'm not a lolita but a cosplayer so I'm pretty jealous of the lolitas' strict code and rules that keep the community improving. The only thing I hate about them is how a big portion of them look down on cosplayers and people who watch anime when they're in fact no better or less nerdy than they are.

>> No.8369215

>>8369205
smells like summer

>> No.8369226

>>8368970
Gyaru is pretty dead now but I agree, gyarus were the fucking worst. Being an ex-gyaru myself I can confirm this that those bitches were the meanest and the most ruthless beings you could ever meet. I've never seen a lolita or a cosplayer straight out attacking someone and calling them an ugly ratchet fatass who should quit this and start going to the gym but I've seen plenty of gyarus doing this. But that's why I loved gyaru. If you were an autistic piece of crap or a lolcow-tastic sack of shit, you'd get what you deserve. If your coordination sucked and your makeup was terrible, they'd let you know in the harshest words possible. And you'd either learn from it or run away crying to ruin some other hobby. Gyarus would fucking tear you apart.

>> No.8369275

>>8369114
another anon, i also fell of the grid.
tis wonderful!

>> No.8369290

>>8369205
just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it don't happen
Grow up.

>> No.8370027

I've been heavily involved in both communities and I would say cosplay is overall worse. I find avoiding drama is much easier with lolita and you don't have to have your guard up as much among efamous lolitas the same way as with efamous cosplayers. There's also no known drama in my comm, where as the cosplay scene around here thrives on it.

>>8368651
I've seen cosplayers happy about fellow cosplayers dying because their costumes were bad.

RIP Fat Yoko

>> No.8370035

>>8368871
You've probably heard things like that said once in a troll post and are projecting it on to the hobby. No one actually thinks/says this shit, the worst of it is BtB. Plus, the same has been said by cosplayers, I've seen them wish murder, rape, and AIDs on each other. They're either trolls or just one rare example out of countless people in the hobby. Every hobby on the internet has that.

>> No.8371120

>>8370035
>Lolitas wishing rape on eachother? nonsense! only cosplayers do that!

You've probably seen shit like that said in troll posts and are projecting it onto the hobby.

>> No.8371231

>>8369114
This makes me really sad, about the ones that do stick around the communities becoming toxic. I'm gay and have a ton of qt girls I'd love to bring into it, but I don't want it ruining them. The toxic nature is real and anyone who thinks otherwise is honestly probably apart of the problem.

I just want to invite friends in, but lolita is weird. It has a reputation amongst people who know about it that "lolitas are bitches". I might not be able to with some of them if I try to. I mean, I can't say they're wrong for the most part. Newbies being publicly shredded is just a thing.

>> No.8371348

I would say lolita is a lot more nastier.

It's a hobby full of mostly women and women feel the need to always be in competition with eachother.

>> No.8372135

>>8371120
>They're either trolls or just one rare example out of countless people in the hobby. Every hobby on the internet has that.
>what is reading comprehension

>> No.8372150

>People fighting about which hobby is the worst
Is it "cool" to be in a hobby filled with bitchy people now?

>> No.8372152

>>8371348
>forgetting cosplay is mostly female
>forgetting the males in cosplay are just as bad
>forgetting mostly male hobbies like sports, vidya, and even table top gaming are just as bad

Also, it's literally biology 101 that men are ultra competitive. It's one of the main things testosterone does to their behavior.

>> No.8372167

>>8368642
In my experience only, but still;

Cosplayers are more likely to bitch IRL about the quality of craftsmanship and makeup etc. If someone comes up on cgl and isn't utterly disgusting it tends to be forgotten as 'vendetta'.

Lolitas have whole online communities dedicated to taking each other down or delivering harsh critiques (BTB, RC Uncensored, the COF threads on here sometimes).

It's hard to tell because each hobby has both people without any drama at all, and also the biggest whiney babies you've ever encountered.

Generally I'd say cosplay is more forgiving because you still get people chatting, because so many of their interests inherently overlap. A lot of lolitas complain that they don't want to just talk about the fashion, but also aren't interested in weeby stuff, so they don't make the connections that might otherwise prevent cattiness.

>> No.8374518

>>8369108
Exactly. If you have a problem with a lolita they're going to talk shit about you on BtB or /cgl/; if you have a problem with a cosplayer either nothing in particular happens or they sleep with your boyfriend to give him herpes and sneak into your hotel room to destroy your most time-consuming prop.
Lolita attracts catty mean girls but cosplay attracts some people who are clinically insane.

>> No.8374528

>>8372152
Yeah, we might be nasty shits but I've never heard of lolitas going around drunkenly destroying historical sites after a meetup.