[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 141 KB, 471x400, 1428768126142.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8280620 No.8280620 [Reply] [Original]

Last thread in autosage.

>> No.8280623

>>8279954
The Floral Notebook before she stops doing custom orders. Glitter Tale do them too but Ive never ordered off them before so I'm more hesitant about getting them there. Also The 69th Department on Taobao had some cotton ones.

Now I'm not sure about the shade...whether a misty/dove grey or a darker grey would be better. I originally wanted one of each but I don't have the cash, and I'm worried they'll be a bitch to match to accessories. A lighter grey should be easier to match to anything cobwebby and might look good with a chiffon mini veil, but I'm not sure.

>>8279973
I had very thick, mid back length curly hair. I cut it off with no regrets (I did it in stages, first I went to a shoulder-length cut and liked the lower maintenance, then that grew too long for my tastes again after a year and I went for a short bob.) I'm really really happy with it, my head feels physically lighter and my hair is so much easier to care for. I was having a lot of problems finding the time to wash it before, because it poofed up like a motherfucker if I used a hairdryer but took a few hours to air-dry, whereas now I can air dry it in under an hour. Shorter hair requires more frequent cutting but I like it at a variety of lengths so I go from short bob to shoulder length before I cut it.

The only thing that I miss is being able to plait it to control it, but my hair is so thick it was too short for that when it was shoulder length, and I'd rather have an unplaitable bob then plaitable but otherwise high-maintainance mid-back hair. I feel like longer hair looked better when I put the effort in to style it for ages, but in practice I never had the time so it was constantly in a ponytail. Shorter hair looks better with less effort.

>> No.8280627

>>8280204
Just ask guidebook anon to add advice for wide feet, she already has advice for large feet, tall, plus size etc.>>8280623

>> No.8280637

Is it ok to wear a patterned blouse with a non patterned or different patterned jsk? I have odd boobs so my blouses all gape, but I really want to get a patterned blouse I saw on auction. It is really cute.

>>8280623
I've decided not to go for the chop, and to just do a faux bob hairstyle when I want it to look short. My hair isn't really thick or unmanageable, it works well with almost all styles I try on it.

>> No.8280642

>>8280620
Anyone know any stores (taobao or anything not-bodyline) that sells tartan lolita skirts or jsks and headbows that stand up (red or tricolor)? I'm trying to not shell out for brand but I'm totally willing to if I have to.

>> No.8280647

>>8280626
>>8280642
No idea about the headbows but one of the shops that usually sells accessories, I think it was ciciwork, did a nice blue tartan dress. HMHM have a tartan dress but in a very basic shape. F+F have a tartan dress too. Infanta used to have a green tartan dress with a gold toy screenprint. I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

>> No.8280648

>>8280637
Fair enough, keep it long then!

What's the pattern on the blouse?

>> No.8280650

>>8280113
Pretty much this.

>> No.8280654

>>8280648
its plaid.

>> No.8280658

>>8280654
Tbh I think a plaid blouse with a plaid dress would be visually overwhelming anyway, it'd be better to wear it with a plain dress of the same colour.

>> No.8280660

from shoulder to shoulder, my size is 51cm

Where can I get a blouse to fit my shoulders? I want to get a solid black blouse of a coord I'm working on but I can't find any

>> No.8280664
File: 314 KB, 800x650, clockpurse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone know if this taobao purse has an actual functioning clockface? All the stock photos have the hands pointing different ways. That would be so cool.

Besides that, would this in black/brown look awful on a coord that either had no other black or no other brown? I once made the ita mistake of buying blackxwhite shoes because "they'll go with everything!" and I'd like to not become a repeat offender...

>> No.8280669

>>8280658
What about say a floral dress in the same colors?

>> No.8280675

>>8280669

Plaid with floral? I wouldn't.

>> No.8280682

>>8280642
watch Closet Child for cheap Baby tartan dresses. got a JSK and matching headbow from them for under 10000 yen

>> No.8280683

>>8280660
Places that do custom sizing, which includes those mentioned in >>8280623. There's a list of places that do custom for plus size in the Lolita Guidebook on tumblr and the same places will do custom for wide shoulders.

>> No.8280684

>>8280664

Nevermind I figured out how to read reviews.

>> No.8280712

>>8280664
that's amazing

>> No.8280720

>>8280637
Different patterned can go horribly wrong. Non-patterned is perfectly fine and cute.

>> No.8280750

Anyone have any ideas for some 1-layer lolita coords/outfits? Summer is on the way for those of us in the USA and usually I just end up not wearing any frills during the season because its so disgustingly hot, but maybe there are some outfits out there that are not too miserable to wear around and also suitably frilly.

Lolita sundresses maybe?

>> No.8280753

>>8280750
You just gotta get some chiffon blouses, sister.

>> No.8280762

I've never paid attention to popular, hyped releases, or releases in general, cause I'm poor but now looking at the details of the print, I think I want some Milky Planet....

>> No.8280764

>>8280762
lucky you, it's not expensive any more

i used to want it too, but there are so many replicas of it, i feel like even if i got one it wouldn't be special / could be mistaken for a replica
>tfw i don't like to wear the same dresses as other people

>> No.8280769

>>8280764
I noticed when I checked lacemarket and whatnot, I was surprised.

I think it'd still be a cute piece to have.

>> No.8280775

>>8280750
Short-sleeved OPs are where it's at.

>> No.8280776

>>8280769
...now Honey Cake on the other hand. I am dead.

>> No.8280781

>>8280753
Why are so many people recommend chiffon for summer? I'm curious. Chiffon is light, but I feel it's never as breathable as cotton...at least not the cheaper kind, often used for blouses.

>> No.8280785

>>8280750

- Short-sleeved onepiece dress, or
- jsk + bolero, pick a bolero that's cooling, ie- short sleeved, not knit yarn, not chifon. Cotton knit would be a good choice.
- Crew socks, or go sockless and wear sandals (cute ones! No flip flops or crocs with lolita pls. Make sure you have a nice pedicure if you're showing your feet).
- Learn to put your hair up to suit your style (eg - twin tails, twin buns for sweet, chignon or pony or updo for gothic or classic).
- Cotton bloomers, or you can try cycling shorts made from material that wick sweat. I have no solution for the hot petticoat though.
- Minimise your jewellery, as a lot of it can be irritating on hot skin.
- parasols, hand fans and water bottles -- it's fairly easy to get some nice cute ones to coordinate with your outfit.
- Sunhats can work well with lolita outfits, although they turn up most often in country lolita styles I'm pretty sure crafty lolitas can decorate plain ones with flowers/charms for classic and crosses/lace for gothic.

I'd be careful with chiffon. It's polyester, which traps heat. It only looks cooling but is actually pretty hot unless the weave itself is open enough to let air flow right through it, you pretty much have to judge that from looking at the weave up close and not by buying it online.

>> No.8280791

>>8280785

Oh! Forgot these options as well:

- cutsew onepiece dresses (btssb, ap and IW make them), but they tend to have less poof and are generally more suitable as casual borderline non-lolita rather than hot weather lolita.
- cutsew + skirt combo. Make sure the cutsew is cotton knit jersey (t-shirt material), has puff sleeves (short) and looks cute. Be wary of the ones with lace that Baby now likes to put out or the long-sleeved fancy ones from AP. They're comfortable if it's not too hot, but they're not as comfy as the ones that look like t-shirts. Make sure the skirt is lolita and comfortable.

>> No.8280794

>>8280781
Because they plebian Americans who only know a variety of different synthetic fabrics.

>> No.8280795

>>8280791
I've heard of people using cage crinolines instead of petticoats in hot weather, do you think that would work?

>> No.8280796

>>8280750

OP's like IW's Angel Tiered are super comfy and light. I love mine.

>> No.8280798

>>8280795

To be really honest, I've seen that idea floated about, but no one ever came back to report any first-hand experience on whether it actually worked or if the crinoline is less comfortable than a fabric petticoat. So uh, if you do try it, please do come back and tell us whether it worked or not. Sorry it's not a lot of help.

>> No.8280799

>>8280781
I don't understand what people mean when they say that cotton is breathable. It always feels just as stifling as any other material to me. Am I broken?

>> No.8280800

Where to buy boater hats in dark straw and light straw?
I want one of each.

>> No.8280803

>>8280798
I'm not the anon who was asking about hot weather coordinates I'm afraid, I live in cold rainy Britain. I am looking into getting a cage skirt for gothic though, so if I get one I'll report in the thread on its potential under dresses.

>> No.8280817
File: 22 KB, 345x437, 226252-4065-2014-11-29404735.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone own IWs Napoleon jacket? I was wandering whether it's more of a winter jacket or suitable for spring.

>> No.8280821

>>8280799

Cotton fabric (and other natural fibres) absorbs sweat, unfortunately it will also hang on to it. If you live in a dry climate, then the sweat that is absorbed by the fabric has a good chance of evaporating, carrying with it your body heat, and therefore you'll feel cooler. If, on the other hand, you live in a pretty humid climate, then the sweat has no chance of evaporating into the already water-saturated air, your clothes are just going to absorb more and more of both your sweat and body heat. So yes, you can feel stifled in a cotton blouse due to the humidity, even in all-natural fabric.

Polyester, on the other hand, doesn't absorb anything at all. If it's tightly woven, nothing can go through it. So covering yourself in tightly-woven polyester is basically like covering yourself in a sheet of plastic. All of the sweat and body heat remains trappped between your skin and the polyester, never having the chance to evaporate into the air. So while cotton has a chance of being breathable in dry climates, tightly woven polyster has no chance at all.

Loosely woven polyester, on the other hand, can be fairly cooling -- the same as a lace knit shawl is useless in cold weather because the wind blows right through it, it allows the wind to blow right through the loose weave and carry away your sweat (and body heat).

Wicking fabricis are pretty much a mix of natural and polyester fibres, made in a way so that the water and heat is transferred from inside the clothes to the outside, where it has a chance of evaporate. Of course, if you're sweating heavily and your body heat is really high, everything except a cool shower is still going to feel hot to you.

tl;dr: it depends on your climate and the exact weave and fibre that you're wearing. "Cotton" and "polyester" fabric have many kinds of variations.

>> No.8280829

>>8280817
It's not thick enough as a winter jacket so I'd say it's more appropriate for spring or autumn.

>> No.8280839

>>8280803

If it's just using hoop petticoats under skirts without caring whether it's cooler, then I have some info on it. Most reports say that the hoops' boning shows up as bumps in the skirt, especially if the skirt is made of thinner material. The way to fix it to get a fluffy petticoat to layer over the hoop petticoat, under the skirt, so it smooths out the bumps. I'm not sure what people use, apparently something as thin as the Leg Avenue petticoats would work, apparently the traditional route is a heavy cotton petticoat. The second petticoat is the reason I'm not sure if hoop skirts are cooling, or if the hoop skirt + light petti is worse than wearing a regular organdy petticoat.

I've heard it's a very good way to get very good poof, as a hoop skirt never deflates. For that same reason, it's also a little inconvenient, as you cannot deflate the skirt by scrunching it tightly, if you're in a crowded place. It's also unpopular because you'd end up having to find both a hoop skirt, and a petticoat to go over it, so most girls just go for the fabric petticoat instead.

Cage skirts are another thing, though. Some of the h.Naoto ones have no boning in them and are intended to be worn over skirts, not under. I've seen Atelier Pierrot use boned cage skirts under a see-through skirt, which is an interesting take, but I don't know if I'd keep a boned cage skirt around just so I could use it for one coordinate style.

Hope that helps.

>> No.8280848

>>8280839

Oh and, if you need to sit, pick up the hoop skirt so that you're not sitting on any of the hoops. Shift the hoops so that the whole hoop skirt (and your petticoat and skirt) can hang off the front of the chair. I don't remember how the toilet is handled.

Most of this info is from discussions on the egl comm, you might be able to find more info if you searched the egl comm for mentions of hoop or crinoline petticoats.

>> No.8280851

>>8280829
Thank you!

>> No.8280853

>>8280769
It definitely is! I just got it recently myself and the details in person are just beautiful, especially the glitter. Go for it, anon1

>> No.8280856

>>8280839
>>8280848
Thanks! I'd mainly wanted one for decorative purposes but I'd wondered about the super poof aspects.

>> No.8280863

So who managed to snag Dolly Cat?
It honestly became my dream dress after I bought the highest god tier dress and it has a beret and the socks are darling

>> No.8280869

>>8280863
I wanted it, but I was on my phone during the release and it emptied my cart as I logged in and by the time I got the JSK back into my cart, it sold out. So bummed, so very, very bummed.

>> No.8280878

>>8280863
I was aiming for the regular JSK but only managed to snag the low waist. Now I'm worrying that it won't look good on me and I'm naively hoping that there will be someone out there that will want to trade.

>> No.8280879

Anyone got any info from the Krad Lancrete tea party? They've started to put some coords up on their fb page

>> No.8280882
File: 371 KB, 800x600, 22584_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are the AP marguerite socks "sold out" as in they haven't been released yet or sold out-sold out?

>> No.8280886

Is buyee's paypal option broken? Trying to link it and it keeps on giving me an error

>> No.8280893

>>8280882
Oh my god the lace wtf thats too cute?? I hope they are restocked because i have a mighty need

>> No.8280918

>>8280882

lol. AP doesn't put unreleased items up in their store. It's sold out sold out. You can try sending an in-person SS to a physical store and see if they can find a pair.

>> No.8280933

Imagine a Lolita general thread with helpful links in the OP.

>> No.8280942

>>8280933
Any suggestions beyond fyeahlolita and thelolitaguidebook on tumblr? I'm compiling a list, but those were all that were mentioned last thread... or are those enough?

>> No.8280948

>>8280654
Don't wear plaid on plaid, or plaid with florals, it will look bad. Plaid is so busy, I don't think it goes well with a patterned dress at all. Other patterns like stripes or polka dots are ok with patterned dresses, imo.

>> No.8280993

>>8280863
My SS got me the sax regular jsk and headbow. I'm very happy.

>> No.8281031 [DELETED] 

>>8280664
Source?

>> No.8281035

>>8280933
The stickied post has references. It even says, "READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST A NEW THREAD"

Any crucial beginner information is better in a post like that vs a lolita general thread that eventually gets purged and would need to be copied over and over again.

>> No.8281066
File: 215 KB, 680x760, 3214-21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8280948
>don't wear plaid on plaid, or plaid with florals, it will look bad

>> No.8281069

>>8281066
Case in point

>> No.8281071

>>8281066
Yeah, in dolly- or mori-kei it looks fine. Not lolita.

>> No.8281088

>>8281066

>if I use a nicely photoshopped picture with a pretty model, then it'll show that plaid and floral design can be pretty

>> No.8281096

>>8281088

That's pretty much every good jfash photo ever though.

It's fine for mori, where you're kind of supposed to look like a mess of a bag lady anyways. I find it really charming in a frumpy way. Not exactly lolita's aesthetic though, so anon's point is moot.

>> No.8281109

>>8280942
They weren't all that was mentioned.

Lolita-tips on tumblr is a contentious one because she's fat and poor but we often get "how do I yen trick" and "where do I buy lolita" noobs that I think ought to go through her basic articles and useful links, even if her coordination advice is to be taken with a pinch of salt. The Lolita Handbook on Livejournal and Hello Lace are old but cover the basics. I think it's better to have a few different things in there so people can get a really good grasp of the fashion from different sources.

>> No.8281124

>>8280750
Longtime resident of the deep South. It's usually too hot to wear full lolita but I still enjoy Lolita-like or ultra-casual looks.

>Brand not-quite-miniskirts like Fancy Box, Lotta revival, etc
>Cutsews or frilly gyaru-style camisoles
>Lace tights (the true open-weave fishnet-style ones, not hose-style ones), ankle or crew socks
>Hats or updos for dealing with hair
>Fans and parasols

>> No.8281129

Perhaps this is more of a feel than a lolita gen thing but I thought I'd get better advice in here than in the feels thread.

>company are sending me to Japan, food expenses paid and it's for a couple of months so they're paying for me to have an apartment
>I've been awaiting this day ever since I started working for a multinational (don't ask which or what), super excited
>best friend spends hours a day watching anime, massive closet weeb
>because company are giving me an apartment he could come and stay for a holiday and only have to pay for plane tickets, not accommodation
>offer it to him to come and stay for a couple of weeks since I know he's got the money for tickets and he can get the time off
>says he doesn't want to go
>surprised he refused because even though he's never been the type to unconditionally worship glorious nippon, he has a ton of Japan-related nerd hobbies
>tfw there are a bunch of casual acquaintances and girls I know from my comm who would jump at a chance like that, yet my best friend refuses
>know said acquaintances will be butthurt if they find out that I could have invited them along and didn't, so I have to lie to them pretending I'm not going to Japan

I really wished he'd agreed to come, it's gonna be awesome visiting Japan but I'll be working a lot and outside of work I'll be pretty lonely. There are so many people I know that would love to stay with me, but I've never holidayed with them before so I don't want to risk turning out to hate living in an enclosed space with them, or having them steal my stuff, or expecting to be constantly entertained or go to Harajuku or whatever when I'm going to be spending most of my time working and not in Tokyo.

>> No.8281152

How do you react when you are with your friends and the subject of how much it costs in a condescending way is brought up? Such as "paying that much for just a ___" or complaining about the price, but not outright saying you are wasting money?

A lot of my friends have been making those little jabs at the cost of the fashion when they don't wear it or spend money on their fandoms, which I think is a waste but keep that opinion to myself. I am getting a little tired of "you could make that"s or "your necklace costs more than my entire outfit"s or "spending that much on socks when you can buy them elsewhere for $5"

>not poor in fact very comfortable, never ask for money, even treated said friends in the past sometimes

>> No.8281159

>>8281152
What do they spend money on?

>> No.8281198

>>8281152

How can you spend $200 on a dress?!

Meanwhile they have no problem spending 40-50 dollars on a pair of jeans. or spending $80 on a pair of shoes. or spending $7 for a burrito at Chipotle.

>> No.8281203

>>8281152
Tell them to shut up. Literally. If they get all flustered, explain that they are in no place to tell you what to spend your money on.

>> No.8281211

>>8281066
Was this supposed to sway me? Because it looks bad.

>> No.8281217

>>8281129

Kind of have a similar problem with besties who I've taken holidays with, but they refuse to take a trip to Japan with me. According to them, our interests are too divergent, so they would bore me, and vice versa. I'm trying to find ways to suggest all the glorious toys they would be able to find if they could spend a week at different Mandarakes across Tokyo to pique their interest to come, or I might suggest going to winter comiket or some other thing they would be more interested in, so that they can more directly see coming to Japan = related to their hobby (instead of coming to Japan for me). I'm not trying too hard though, since I'm not sure if the problem is really the difference in interest or they're trying not to tell me they don't have the money for a trip like that -- even plane tickets alone, sans accommodation, aren't exactly cheap, let alone the cost of meals and the money they'd need to have on hand to buy all the toys they would take the trip for.

As for the casual acquintances, they're going to find out you're going to Japan eventually, especially if it's longer than just a few days. You can stress that you're there for your job and how much it sucks that you probably won't have time to even go sightseeing (for a friend of mine, this was really true. She had to work the one Saturday she was there, so no lining up for AP releases for her). Don't bother inviting anyone, if anyone tries to suggest sleeping over, point out that it's a company apartment and you're not sure if they will look kindly on you bringing guests over.

>> No.8281224

>>8281152

Give them a funny look and start keeping them at arm's length.

This happened to me before lolita, and usually with people I don't know particularly well. It's also usually not long before they start asking me how much money I make, or trying to sell me things or pyramid schemes, or implying that I should buy them things or give them stuff since I have "so much". I don't know about you, but I definitely don't like the feeling that other people see me as a free meal or an atm machine. So I started keeping a distance from them, and mostly hang out with girls who don't have hangups on how much I spend.

Close friends might be shocked at first, and there might be a few jabs, but give them a few eyerolls and "it's getting old, stop that", and they can get the message that these jabs are annoying. Even if they don't understand, most of them can see that I'm happy with my new $300 dresses and pretty much leave me alone.

>> No.8281226

>>8281071
All these other people are saying it looks bad, but it doesn't. Mixed textures and patterns look good with certain styles... Just not lolita, which is meant to look fancy and polished.

>> No.8281247

So did anyone go to the Krad Lanrete tea party in London? How was it?

>> No.8281248

>>8281129
That seems a bit strange. Maybe he's jealous that you'll be there so long, or perhaps he just doesn't like traveling?

I suspect you'll have a bigger problem with people asking you to do them favors / buy them stuff than wanting to stay with you. As >>8281217 suggested, let people know you're working, that your schedule is very busy and that you're staying in a company apartment.

In terms of being lonely in your off hours, that depends on how good your Japanese is and if you're outgoing or not. You can try connecting with the English-speaking Japanese lolita community (they have a FB for Lolitas in Tokyo that would be a good start). If you ever have a "feeling blue and need human contact" kind of night, I'd recommend visiting Golden Gai's bar district. The bars are all tiny, which encourages conversation between patrons, and a lot of them are foreigner-friendly, especially the ones with signs in English. I found it was the easiest place to meet new people in all of Tokyo!

Good luck, it sounds awesome but also a little hard to be on the road solo for that long.

>> No.8281262
File: 72 KB, 580x435, 1a8059b5c9ea15ce589b1e1eb3003af33b87b2ef.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8281247

There are pics from the event as well.

Basic bitch wearing my dream dress and doing that awful pose pls.

>> No.8281263

I dislike it when people bring their boyfriend or friend or parents to Lolita meet ups.

>> No.8281265
File: 70 KB, 580x435, 3766a1cc7cd98d109133f226243fb80e7aec9079.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8281262

>> No.8281266
File: 64 KB, 562x750, f27fb54543a98226da1dd5308f82b9014b90eb00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8281265

>> No.8281298

>>8281265
Some of these coordinates are really mediocre, I'm surprised.

>> No.8281301

>>8281263
Ok? Who the fuck cares.

>> No.8281306

>>8281301
I'd care a lot if someone brought their parents.

>> No.8281310

>>8281298

Yeah, I feel like they let the models wear the dress with no direction whatsoever. They don't seem quite as well finished as brand models, who get professional people to do their makeup.

Does anyone know if they got professional people to do their makeup and overall look?

>> No.8281324

>>8281217
He's not taken holidays with me but we shared a house for a while before I had this job and got on well. I'm sure it's not that he doesn't have the money because I know he does (I've found tickets that are cheap, and my company expenses will pay for food). I think it might be like >8281248 said that he's shy and doesn't like travelling? I actually brought this up as a sort of joke when I first got this job like "lol, if I ever get promoted to a position where I get sent abroad for work, you could come and stay if I went to Japan" and he said he probably wouldn't want to, but he was very depressed and borderline hikkikomori at the time and was refusing anything that involved human contact or new situations, so I put it down to that. He's fine with ordinary social situations now but doesn't like meeting new people, so maybe that's it.

I accept that he just doesn't want to go, and I'm not going to try to force him to come or anything, it's just kind of disappointing when I have so many other weeb friends that'd give their left arm for this trip.

I didn't think I'd be able to entirely keep it secret that I was going to Japan, but I thought I might pretend that the company were putting me up in a hotel rather than an apartment to avoid people wanting to stay. I hope people aren't pushy about wanting me to act as an SS - I'm in rural areas a lot of the time I'm there and only in Tokyo for certain meetings, so I'll barely be able to shop for myself, never mind other people. That's part of why I wanted this friend to comm and not my comm members, since he would like being in Japan in general not specifically wanting to visit brand shops.

I think I can pick up at least conversational Japanese before I go, but I'm not in Tokyo most of the time and I don't drink. Mostly I'm looking forward to visiting historic temples and gardens and stuff on the weekend, and eating in restaurants on the company dime in the evenings, but all of it will probably be alone.

>> No.8281337

>>8281262

I take it these are future releases? I really love the window print on the far right, but I'm kinda worried about Krad release (they take forever to get releases out, reservation spots are hard to get, phantom of the opera had production problems...)

>> No.8281338

>>8281306
>tfw I brought my family to a meetup once
>when I was 20

To be fair, I don't think they interacted with the comm. It was a castle not accessible by public transport that my mom had really wanted to visit anyway so they dropped me with the comm then went round themselves.

>> No.8281342

>>8281324
Anon I'll come stay with you. I can afford the flight and I would love to go nerdshopping.

>> No.8281354

>>8281342
Well that's exactly my problem! I know a lot of people that would want to come, from weeby confriends to people in my lolita comm, but I don't know any of them well enough to trust them left alone all day in a company apartment with all my stuff, nor do I know if we'd start getting on each others' nerves after a few days stuck together. The only person other than my best friend who I'd trust enough to invite is my sister, and she can't get the time off work. I'd trust my mom and a couple of other friends too, to be fair, but they're not willing to spend so much money on a trip to Japan, because if you enjoy going on holiday but don't idolize glorious nippon you'd spend that money on somewhere closer.

>> No.8281363

>>8280647
>>8280682
Thanks!

>> No.8281385
File: 94 KB, 500x744, replica.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does this count as a replica, or simply a design replica which wouldn't be as frowned upon? Would I be frowned upon if I get the dress and do my own embroidery pattern on it?

>> No.8281396
File: 114 KB, 500x743, VWbeltAristo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8281301
Yeah, I'm going to agree that bringing parents is just plain weird. This is a meetup, not a playdate. What are you going to talk about with a helicopter parent, anyway, if they're at your table? Or are they just going to sit to the side, watching us? Either option is weird and awkward.

Boyfriends, just like any other guys, who dress well in aristo/boystyle/lolita are very welcome in my book. If not those styles, then even just dressing well in semiformal clothes are a pass in my book (if it's a very formal meetup like afternoon tea, then come in a suit-and-tie, or in formal military uniform if you're part of the military).

If they boyfriend is not badly-dressed at that one meet (maybe it was the girlfriend's first visit to that comm, got an anxiety attack right before, and begged him to come with), if they compliment people's coords, or overall try to engage in conversation, he will be okay in my book. People's lives are complicated, I won't pry.

However, if the boyfriends never make an effort to participate in conversation or in personal style, their presence begins to inch towards the same level of weirdness as the parents. It makes me suspect that either the girlfriend has terrible social anxiety and honestly cannot meet people without him being present, or the boyfriend feels compelled to monitor her all of her social activities. Either option makes me feel worried and uncomfortable.

>> No.8281404

>>8281385
Pattern replicas like that are okay.

It's print replicas that are illegal by international law, because the prints themselves are considered artwork and thus protected by copyright. Those are the ones that are frowned upon in lolita fashion.

>> No.8281410

>>8281354
Depending on your work schedule, what you could try doing is having them leave them leave and return the apartment the same time you do, that way they're never unattended.

>> No.8281415

>>8281396
I disagree. I would prefer that if a guy or parent has to be along that they stay in the background and don't force their way into the conversation. I don't care how they dress either, if they're not trying to be in pictures or whatever. I'm not there to talk to someone's boyfriend or mom in either case so I prefer that they're just there for their kid/gf and ignore the rest of the meet.

I don't mind a parent because some people might be in a situation where a meet is in an out of the way place and they need a ride or whatever, or if the girl is underage. As long as they're not trying to nose their way into the meet's going ons in a protective way.

>> No.8281438

>>8281415
It's fucking ridiculous if they just sit around like baby sitters. I'd rather have them talk than that.

>> No.8281467

>>8281415
>I don't mind a parent because some people might be in a situation where a meet is in an out of the way place and they need a ride or whatever, or if the girl is underage. As long as they're not trying to nose their way into the meet's going ons in a protective way.
Yeah, I understand that that sort of stuff happens so personally I wouldn't mind it as long as the parent wasn't rude. Generally though, with parents and boyfriends that obviously aren't interested, and it isn't a location that's in the middle of nowhere, I think they should go somewhere else for a while. Like if a meet's in the city and they don't wanna do high tea, they can go to the cinema or go shopping or something, they don't have to stick around even if they're there for a lift/company on the journey there and back.

Personally self-styled photographers rustle my jimmies more than either boyfriends or parents though, so I'll tolerate the latter.

>> No.8281470

>>8281337
You were allowed to reserve the items modelled at the event. According to the form we filled in, they expected them to be delivered in June , I think. Outside of the event, clobba is taking reservations for the constellation print.

>> No.8281493

>>8281470
Sorry, a correction - you could reserve the pieces that hadn't been released previously, eg. The Venice print but not Phantom of the Opera.

>> No.8281497

>>8281438
Ridiculous how? How are they affecting you if they don't speak to you or interfere with the meet?

>> No.8281508

>only one in comm with a black boyfriend

>> No.8281542

Wondering about sizing - do Innocent World blouses have any room for boobs (specifically size l) or are they similar to the dresses where it is just a tube shape?

>> No.8281560

I always wanted to participate in a meet-up, but I'm too shy to actually go to one and I would have no idea what to talk about.

>> No.8281563

>>8281542

They tend to be all right for me (C cup boobs), which makes the tube dresses even more depressing. Most of them do have waist ties, so as long as your bust fits (1-2in under the blouse's bust measurement) you can tie the waist smaller without too much detriment to the blouse design.

>> No.8281567

>>8281563
My bust is right at the cusp of the measurement. I want to wear it under a jsk. Should I go for it or no?

>> No.8281573

>>8281508
You don't deserve him if you are embarrassed because he is black.

>> No.8281576

I am a lone Lolita. I will never join a comm. I will never hang out with other Lolita. Ha ha ha ha!

>> No.8281582

>>8281560
Usually other people will steer the conversation or questions of newbies.

>> No.8281595

>>8281567

No. It's likely to gape or look strained at best. It won't be visible under a jsk, but I'd think twice about throwing away $100-150 on a blouse that can never be worn without a jsk because the front doesn't look right. Might as well get something commissioned to your size from The floral notebook, bunny house, or F+F.

If it's secondhand, I risk it if the price is lower than getting it commissioned. Some girls have been able to take blouses and dresses to tailors and get an extra inch by letting some of the seams out, though that is also another gamble in itself as sometimes the design doesn't allow it, other times the seam is too narrow to let out.

>> No.8281615

>>8281385

This is fine, the design isn't copyrighted, only the print. It's very pretty btw.

>> No.8281621

>>8280946

Yes it was but damn my snipe didn't even go through because my max bid was outbid by only 250 yen. Was it you anon?

>> No.8281781

any petticoat recommendations within US or that deliver within 2 weeks?

>> No.8281804

>>8280795
I use a cage with a petti layered on top for 95% of my coords and it is a much friendlier alternative for escaping the heat. I recommend fan+friends cages. They run a bit pricey, but you never have to worry about them deflating.

>> No.8281821

>>8281804

Would you mind sharing a pic of what it looks like? The poof sounds amazing, might be something I want to try out.

>> No.8281837
File: 148 KB, 1080x1080, 2015-04-26_17.02.51.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8280795
Figured I should post examples. Blue skirt is my cage with a vgd petti layered on top. Same goes for The red skirt. For the pink jsk I'm wearing the cage and a party city petti. For the white jsk Im wearing all 3.

As far as comfort goes, I personally find it much more comfortable than a traditional petti. Never have to pull out my petti from akward spots or worry about itches and additional heat. It also seems to distribute the poof more evenly. When sitting they rest on the chair, and when driving I have no problem with it bending and springing back to shape once out of the car. The biggest problem would be that I seem to catch breezes more easily, slight bends lift it up in the opposite direction and they dont give against other things as easily so you need to be aware of your surroundings so you dont bump something off.

>> No.8281841
File: 330 KB, 1224x1335, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kek

>> No.8281851

>>8281841

is that a purse for Monster High dolls?

>> No.8281861

>>8281837
Pink has a lovely silhouette.

>> No.8281863

>>8281821
Posted examples here:
>>8281837

>> No.8281877

>>8281542

I'm a 32DD with about a 95cm bust and I own Innocent World's chiffon Selene blouse in size L, it fits fine but takes a little bit of gymnastics to get into. I dunno about ones that button down center front.

>> No.8281922

How old is too old? I bought a dress that came out in 2010 - but honestly it's my dream dress ish.

When I got it though - it made me feel a bit sooo out dated since it's such an old print.

Thoughts on wearing older prints?

>> No.8281924

>>8281922
no one cares

>> No.8281942
File: 396 KB, 1348x545, this is insane right.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is ridiculous right?

No, I don't want to bid on a $95 ugly purse I want to pay for the dress that I DID bid on

>> No.8281943

>>8281922
People don't care if you wear an old print but they will think you are outdated if you go with old trends (like dream sky in a creepycute coord or whatever)

>> No.8281945

>>8281942
Well, they did mention it in the description.

>> No.8281948

>>8281942
Was that in the description when you bid on the dress?

>> No.8281949

>>8281945
in an incomplete sentence with no explanation.

>> No.8281951

>>8281945
>>8281942
yeah, but you don't make separate sales. You include the cost of the item you want to sell it with.

>> No.8281952

>>8281942

they did mention it I guess.

but that's really ridiculous.

>> No.8281953

>>8281951
Someone could have assumed that's what they meant when they listed as set? The jsk comes with the headbow... idk it's a dumb mistake for someone to make but it's a dumb way to sell stuff too

>> No.8281956

>>8281943
shit. this reminded me how I still want to buy dream sky.

>> No.8282060

cgl, i need your honest opinion + help..

what do you guys think of modifying this style of dress into a lolita dress? i really love the top part. i thought it would be nice to wear with lace tights and maybe an underskirt (to kinda 'even out' the coord since there's so much going on at the top). i showed it to my friend and she thought it looked too old fashioned.. i'm a bit torn now, i've never owned a non-print dress either so i'm afraid my coord with it would be too boring.
btw, by altering it i would make it shorter, like a normal lolita skirt length.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOHO-GUNNE-SAX-VICTORIAN-LACY-COTTON-70s-Vintage-SWEEPING-PRAIRIE-MAXI-DRESS-/381237252140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c382d02c

>> No.8282067

>>8282060
tbh the satin ribbon, plastic buttons and scratchy lace all look awful and uncomfortable to me. I'd look for something higher quality even if it's just to alter.

>> No.8282072

>>8281922
Prints never go out of style in lolita, just off trend.

>> No.8282075

>>8282067
that listing was just an example, if i recall correctly gunne sax (the brand) had an awkward period where they used low quality materials, that dress is probably an outcome of it. i'm aiming for a dress that looks the same though, not specifically the one i linked to.

>> No.8282081

>>8281942
Well, she invoiced me for only the dress so I guess this turned out well haha.

still I can't even understand what the goal of trying to force these two items together was.

>> No.8282130

>>8282060
>

Cute, I'd shorten it via pintucks around the bottom instead of taking it apart. That'll also add a little more interest there too.

Can anyone recommend a reliable Taobao shopping service? I'm a total newbie and apparently the one I was writing my cart in isn't reliable.

>> No.8282187

>>8282130
taobao thread guides are your friend >>8275878

>> No.8282307

>>8281781
It's not in the U.S., but closetchild sells some petticoats that get to the U.S. with EMS shipping in my experience (east coast location) a minimum of 4 days from shipment. There's a-line ones that I forget the name of and more cupcakey/bell ones (new super gorgeous and I think regular super gorgeous too?)

>> No.8282337

>>8281363
Don't know how much money you're willing to spend, anon, but tartan is usually pretty cheap for slightly older brand pieces.

http://www.wunderwelt.jp/products/detail1910.html

http://www.wunderwelt.jp/products/detail1883.html

>> No.8282381

looks like fairytale boutique is closing.

I only went once. I guess I wont be able to go again.

>> No.8282399

>>8282060
Don't. It will look bad. Just leave it as it is.

>> No.8282405

>>8280863
Got the black regular JSK, headbow, and OTK's. Super excited for them :)

>> No.8282411

>>8282399
what makes you think it'll look bad? just wondering, i'm trying to get as much critique on my idea as possible. thanks!

>> No.8282434

>>8282381
Opening a physical store catering to lolita fashion is beyond stupid. You cannot expect to actually earn revenue unless you have no fucking clue what youre doing and by that time you're going out if business. What morons

>> No.8282439

>>8282434
Unless youre a japanese lolita brand of course.

>> No.8282441

>>8282411
Well, the material of this one is just too light to be any shorter so it will hang strangely, and I don't think it has enough material to hold a petti

>> No.8282506

>>8282441
yeah, my main worry is that it wouldn't be able to hold a petti. but if i found one that could (of a similar design, specifically the bodice), do you think it would look good? or is it too grandma-kei?

>> No.8282654

>>8282434

i wonder how that harajuku hearts/angelic pretty does...

honestly it's a disappointment of a store in terms of walking in. I feel like they could do so much better in terms of decor.

>> No.8282692

What are some bad trends - that should NOT be done?

>> No.8282698

>>8281942
>>8281945
Not OP. I assumed that the seller was not a native English speaker/writer and that they were trying to communicate: "I need (want) [people] to bid [on] this bag as well." Just a seller advertising other sales rather than a specific sales clause. Thinking that the seller didn't understand English very well, I assumed that they misunderstood what the word "set" meant or perhaps that they were just trying to get more views for their item.

>>8282081
Glad it's working out for you!

>> No.8282711

>>8282698
Not likely, it said in the PM that it's 'packed' with it so she needs the OP to bid on the bag as well.

>> No.8282720

>>8282692
Veils
scepters
thats about it.

>> No.8282749
File: 60 KB, 360x420, 120440090029.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I need opinions on this JSK from Metamorphose. I love the ballet idea but I'm not 100% sold on the print? Especially with the front pockets. What do you guys thinks?

>> No.8282780

>>8282692
I don't thin veils/scepters are necessarily a bad trend, but you cannot shoehorn them into your outfit if it doesn't make any sense or if you use low quality materials. That being said, they are both a very popular trend right now and are kind of starting to become overdone.

>> No.8282782

>>8282692
madonna crowns.

>> No.8282784

>>8282749
Meta is kind of in their own little world so at this point I kind of hold their stuff to a different standard/ideal. Especially as a former dancer I think this print is pretty cute. I just personally hate front lacing like that, I think it looks awkward, but if you don't mind it then go for it.

>> No.8282790

>>8282784
Yeah I'm a dancer as well, which is why it appeals to me... It's growing on me the more I look at it tbh.

>> No.8282802
File: 194 KB, 780x780, dream_coord.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who do I have to kill to get Lotta or Lotta revival in any colorway? I'm willing to pay big bucks and no one will sell.

>> No.8282807

>>8282802
What the hell are you talking about? I just saw a couple Lotta JSKs on LM not that long ago. That said, to find what you want: check group sales and western/JP auctions daily.

>> No.8282809

>>8280637
It's fine as long as the colors look good.
I'm not sure if it will look good with two patterns though. You'd have to mix them carefully. It could look cool, if you look at fashions like dolly-kei, patterned pieces can look neat when mixed.

>> No.8282812

>>8282807
No, you're right. I just didn't have the money or willingness to throw down over half a grand on one dress late 2014, but now I'm getting a little obsessive.

>> No.8282817

>>8282790
See, that's the thing about meta haha. I feel like some of their stuff is delightfully tacky or something that just ends up growing on you. I think you should get it anon! aside from the front lacing I think the cut is really cute.

>> No.8282824

>>8280878
Same. I'm short torsoed so kinda worried too. But I also know I will never sell it, so if it doesn't sit right I will have it altered a little so it fits me correctly.

>> No.8282827
File: 2.16 MB, 3264x1836, 20150426_224244.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay so the handmade thread seems to have died.

I made this bow to match the skirt. I think the bow is a bit to plain. Any suggestions? I was thinking of maybe getting some gold seed beads and sewing a few zodiac constellations on it. Maybe add a little more gold chain to it(like one more drape in the center.)

>> No.8282838

>>8282827
I don't think the seed bead constellations will translate well since the bow is so small, but another gold chain drape would probably look nice!

>> No.8282841

>>8282827
What skirt is that?

>> No.8282849
File: 2.11 MB, 3264x1836, 20150407_095001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8282841
Magic tea party's Libra skirt in red. It also comes in blue.

>> No.8282862

>>8282849
Thanks, I just bookmarked their Taobao page.

>> No.8282868

>>8282698
>I assumed that the seller was not a native English speaker/writer and that they were trying to communicate

Her message to OP was written pretty damn clear. Looks more like she was trying to weasel the bag in on the auction with the incomplete sentence.

>> No.8282871

>>8282862
I'm not sure exactly what the name is on their taobao site. I ordered it through glitzy wonderland(got a discount off their price) and have it listed as Magic tea party Libra. I found it on their taobao site though.

>> No.8282882

>>8281804
>>8281837
which one are you using here, anon? Taobao? Where to buy.

>> No.8282925

>>8282868
The message is clearly written by someone who is ESL, I don't know what you are talking about.

>>8282802
Why do people always shove violin themed items in with this dress? It is so weird.

>> No.8283007

I got Otome no Sewing Book 7 in the mail. Does anyone want some pictures? Here's the patterns:

Oldschool sweet set:
- short-sleeve OP
- spring coat
- skirt
- blouse
- headdress
- maxipad headdress
- wristcuffs
- KC

Classic Set:
- A-line JSK
- detachable collar
- square neck blouse
- bolero
- long Skirt
- KC, choker and Bonnet

Others:
- fully shirred tiered JSK
- JSK with candy wrappers made out of fabric
- otome-style JSK and Ribbon Headband
- Tiered full elastic SK + KC
-Imai Kira design patterns: "Le lad de cygnes" (Swan lake themed, Odette JSK and Odile OP) and "La Belle au bois dormant" (Aurora OP), + matching Headwear
- Sailor cutsew and Miniskirt + KC
- Casual muumuu sailor OP with ribbon combs
- Lolita Roomwear set
- bloomers and Petti

>> No.8283010

>>8283007
Preview pic of the Otome dress please?

>> No.8283020

>>8283007
Yes, the first few pages with some of the pieces modeled

>> No.8283028
File: 497 KB, 900x607, 20150427_090332.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283010
>>8283020
Alright, I'll just post them all. It's just 9 spreads for the model pics.

Oldschool Sweet set

>> No.8283029
File: 538 KB, 900x573, 20150427_090358.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283028
Oldschool sweet set 2/2

>> No.8283031
File: 487 KB, 900x575, 20150427_090412.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283029
Classic set 1/2

>> No.8283032
File: 442 KB, 900x593, 20150427_090422.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283031
Classic Set 2/2 (sorry about the blurriness)

>> No.8283034
File: 514 KB, 900x564, 20150427_090513.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283032
Full elastic Skirt and the Otome-style JSK >>8283010 asked about

>> No.8283036
File: 497 KB, 900x564, 20150427_090500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283034
Candy JSK and fully shirred JSK

>> No.8283037
File: 499 KB, 900x588, 20150427_090541.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283036
Imai Kira fairytale themed stuff

>> No.8283039
File: 597 KB, 900x612, 20150427_090600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283037
Sailor stuff. I'm still hoping they'll make a sailor JSK.

>> No.8283040
File: 517 KB, 900x609, 20150427_090634.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283039
Roomwear and underpinnings.
Overall it had some nice stuff, but it's not my favourite issue, and some of the dresses lookead baggy and ill-fitted on the model.

>> No.8283058

>>8281942
It is a thing within the Chinese comms (on weibo) especially, to put a popular thing up for sale then 'pack' rubbish with it so the buyer is forced to buy all of it. Not saying that it's ethical.

>> No.8283064

Are there any guides on using japan yahoo auctions?

>> No.8283090

>>8283058

It's a thing everywhere else, too, but you don't list it as two seperate listings. Usually you'd list a single set in one listing, for eg- say you list a set of Iron Gate + 2 unpopular dresses for $1300. Since Iron Gate is $800-1000 by itself, you're forcing the buyer to pay another $300-600 for two unpopular dresses that by themselves may not be able to sell.

>> No.8283096

>>8283040

Thanks for the photos! I really like the classic set, might get the book just to check out the blouse, bolero and bib. There's always baggy clothes in every issue, I think Midori might be smaller than the standard size the magazine uses. Any way, it's something that I should be able to fix.

>>8283036
....candies on her waist, whyyyyy. I thought it was already lolzy when AP did it.They're cute as hair combs, at least.

Whoever thought that front-shirred dress was a good idea should be shot, though.

>> No.8283151

>>8283028
>>8283029
>>8283031
>>8283032
>>8283034
>>8283036
>>8283037
>>8283039
>>8283040

Thank you anon!
Mine hasn't arrived yet but it's really nice to see the patterns already. They looks so lovely.

>> No.8283163

>>8283096
>candies on her waist, whyyyyy
Deeply symbolic design choice meant to speak to lolitas' obsession with watching their waistlines, never allowing themselves to have those extra pieces of candy lest they're unable to zip up their burando.

..or just a weird-ass design element they thought was cute, because Japan. Iunno.

>> No.8283202

>>8283058
ngl I'm really starting to dislike the Chinese lolitas

>> No.8283218

>>8282868
Of course she was. I was saying that as a potential buyer if I had seen that sales listing before being contacted privately that I would've assumed that the bag was just an additional item for sale, not something that had to be sold with the dress.

>> No.8283229

>>8283096
>Whoever thought that front-shirred dress was a good idea should be shot, though.
I mean, it's probably really comfy, but still...I'll probably never get a chantilly JSK or OP because of those damn shirred waists.

>> No.8283234
File: 161 KB, 800x800, 1_000000000446.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone own ETC's glitter shoes?
I need to know if they run true to size, as most brand shoes in size L are too large and size M are too small for me (I usually need a Size 24,00, but most brands do not carry that size). But if they run smaller or bigger, they might fit.

It would be great if somone could measure the insole length of their size M or L shoes. thanks!

>> No.8283280

Has anyone here gotten Dolly Cat through Tokyo Pirates? I haven't received an invoice from her yet and I tried contacting her again but nothing. I was wondering if anyone got their invoices yet.

>> No.8283294
File: 65 KB, 286x400, 1382396930543.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8281263
> Me: 30 years old
> Lolita at meetup: Underage (15? or 16?)
> Lolita's mom at meetup: Glaring
> Lolita's 17 year old boyfriend at meetup: Awkward

> Chat with Lolita, pretty nice, ok coordinate.
> Boyfriend shows up and starts chatting & participating at meetup.
> Lolita: Oh, I have to go now, my mom needs to get home.
> Me: Why...doesn't she just let your boyfriend bring you home?
> Never get an answer
> Boyfriend stays at the meetup mingling.
> Uninterested in gangly bait trying to chat me up.

Week or two later
> FB message from underage Lolita's underage boyfriend
> "hey whats up"
> His profile picture is him shirtless
> nope.mov
> block from chatting

This week
> See underage Lolita's underage boyfriend post status
> "Me and Underage Lolita go back together! Yay!"
> ohhellnah.gif
> Blocked forever and even after that.

>> No.8283310
File: 578 KB, 474x512, doge.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>its back

>> No.8283320

>>8283310

is doge even relevant anymore

>> No.8283330

>>8283310
it's kind of cute, it would be funny for a birthday gift. i want it myself as long as it doesn't cost too much

>> No.8283334

>>8283320

imo not really, but I heard of some who regretted not getting it back when it came out

>> No.8283338

Any updates about Dolly Cat's San Fran release? (pricing, date etc)
I'm thinking it will be around a week or so from the JP release but I dont want to assume.

>> No.8283348

>>8282925
why does it matter that it's a violin? it looks cute. you're allowed to use varying themes in a co-ord anon, try stepping out of your box

>> No.8283353

>>8283007
I just came here to ask about this! You're my hero, anon.
>old school sweet
yess
>sailor stuff and roomwear
yesss
>classic A-line
yessss

I'm definitely getting this one!

>>8283040
Otome no Sewing stuff so often looks baggy, and tbh it kind of is. I'd advise anyone to first make a mockup and make any necessary changes to the pattern to make it more flattering before sewing the actual garment together.
>just finished a non-shirred dress from one of the later issues
>chose size M because those are my exact measurements
>first made a mockup and decided to take the waist on the pattern in by more than an inch
>put on finished dress and it's still too big
For giggles I tried on my boyfriend's really thick knit sweater underneath the jsk and it still had plenty of room to spare. At least it's comfy?
tl;dr Otome no Sewing patterns are shaped like sacks and mockups are your friend

>> No.8283374

>>8283348
Anon is being nitpicky. It's just a bag. I don't see violin socks or a violin headdress for it to warrant "shoving" a whole other theme into the coordinate.

>> No.8283400

>>8283096
I understand full shirring helps the fatties but why Asians put it out is beyond me.

>> No.8283403

>>8282749
I love the print.
I have a few meta jsks with that front lacing, so I usually just take the ribbon off or snip it off if its not detachable.

>> No.8283418

>>8283037
Could you post some more details about the OP on the right in this image? How much fabric do they say you need?

>> No.8283420

>>8282802
Who do I have to kill/throw money at to get those socks?

>> No.8283460

>>8283403
Sorry to change the subject a bit, but this comment reminded me of something I wanted to ask: why is front corset lacing on bodices widely considered ita? I know it's old fashioned and many Milanoo lace monsters use it badly, but I think it can be a nice touch if designed and sewn well. When I make my own dresses I sometimes want to put in front corset lacing, but I usually decide against it because of the widespread hatred of that detail.

I'd love to see any examples of what other people consider a good use of front corset lacing.

>> No.8283471

>>8283460
Personally I think front lacing on the bodice is a really cute design detail, but only if it's kept small. Meta's in that design covers way too much of the bodice, and the ribbon itself is too wide.

>> No.8283495
File: 56 KB, 426x640, 14_9_21_329_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283460
Not at all, except maybe by overzealous newbies or girls who hate everything old school. The only thing you have to watch out for is that it's flattering on your body (not too wide on girls who already have a large waist/bust) and uses high quality materials (no shitty shiny thin ribbon). I personally don't care for the lacing on that particular Meta JSK because I think the colour unbalances the rest of the dress, but if it were more subdued I'd love it.
>big and clunky courtesy of Moitié, works for a more old school look and can be made with shirring underneath

>> No.8283499
File: 106 KB, 480x640, b2484509a90cdae775daab813e709548.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>small and delicate courtesy of BtSSB, not generally done to cover shirring but gives the bodice an interesting textural element

>> No.8283502
File: 32 KB, 458x687, fbc4778300a98f9c03fab9bb21975dc0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>ye olde renaissance style bodice lacing courtesy of Miss Point (Taobao), also often used by Japanese brands, usually covering a false seam with no shirring, spices up a simple bodice with a historical influence and can be done with contrasting ribbon/cord
>could probably veer into tavern wench category but I've personally never seen this happen with a legit lolita dress

>> No.8283503

>>8281404
so the Archangel Michael Replicas are okay then? Because Ive had my eye on one for a while but thought the quality etc wouldn't be worth it in the end, as well as the usual replica dramas.
Now I might reconsider it ...

>> No.8283506
File: 308 KB, 580x795, 272404-6876-2015-01-30711313.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283495
>>8283499
>>8283471

I like the front lacing on the Haenuli Angel of Music OP. I think it makes a big difference if the lacing is adjustable or not. If it's not adjustable and there's no other shirring in the dress design, the chances that the sewn-down lacing is going to match your silhouette/body shape are slim and wearing a poorly fitted dress is an express route to Ita-Town in my opinion.

>> No.8283511

>>8283499
>>8283502
Note that when I say "usually no shirring" I mean that these types don't tend to be used to cover the kind of shirring intended to make a dress stretch to larger sizes. The delicate lacing on the BtSSB dress does look nice with gathered fabric underneath but cannot handle the strain of actual corset-style lacing. The bodice lacing on the Miss Point dress uses grommets and as such is likely more resistant to strain but does not look as nice if there's more than about a centimeter between the two halves of the bodice.
I hope I'm making sense.

>> No.8283516

>>8283506
This is cute! I think the ribbon is a great way to create colour balance between the bodice and the skirt. I think if the laced area is narrow and not really intended to be used for fitting it's okay if it's sewn down, but if it's wider then it will definitely accentuate an ill-fitting bodice. The latter is what you usually see in Milanoo dresses, like that one ubiquitous pink x black dress. Loose baggy lacing + thin ribbons + contrasting colours = nopeity nope nope

>> No.8283531

>>8283511
I have a plain Bodyline JSK with corset lacing at the front covering a panel of shirring. I've always thought it looked really cute but when I went looking for pics I realised it doesn't look so cute on people that are actually using the shirring panel because the lacing goes way too wide.

>> No.8283538

>>8283531
shirring on dresses, especially old school style ones, isn't meant to be maxed out and is usually more of an aesthetic thing if not to allow a bit of room. typical example of not looking good even though 'it fits'

>> No.8283539
File: 26 KB, 402x402, 298.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283028
>tfw i love everything in Otome no Sew because it's old school or more casual rather than OTT bullshit
>no sew skill
>i tried it alone but nothing
>no sewing courses i can attend in my bumfuck town
>feel sad man

>> No.8283547

>>8283028
Ungh, the collector in me wants to get the new one, but I have 1-6 and all the shapes are the same for the patterns in the new one :/

>> No.8283563

>>8283547
I just get them for collection purposes at this point too, anon. I wish they'd brand out a little, maybe do some boystyle or some more interesting cuts. I liked the underbust JSK in 6.

>> No.8283569

>>8283310
I want it for shits and giggles, but I also kinda don't want to spend money on a dress with a "meme" on it that's already dead and gone just for a chuckle.

I would love to have a legit Shiba dress tho.

>> No.8283576

>>8283539
You can completely learn everything on your own by following books, guides, online courses or simply trying to copy what you have lying around.

>> No.8283594

>>8283563
I think it's really just how lolita is. all the same cut of dress. the GLBs have a bit more variety, but I've notice the newer ones knida lack the same pazzaz

>> No.8283630
File: 72 KB, 674x420, 130510010129-0b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>This skirt was marked at 70~, but the stock photos made it SEEM it had full back-shirring.
I can't get over how blind some people are.
Also this is not how your price an URGENT SALE.

>> No.8283640
File: 109 KB, 648x974, 33210[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Japanese Streets posted photos of JetJ and 3F fashion shows, if anyone's interested.

This is the only release I don't recognise from JetJ, though. 3F has a giant dress with wings at the end.

JetJ:
http://www.japanesestreets.com/photoblog/3121/juliette-et-justine

3F:
http://www.japanesestreets.com/photoblog/3123/triple-fortune

>> No.8283657

>>8283640
I really love how tacky and modern 3F's prints are. It's like the took JetJ's ideas and went all the way with it.

>> No.8283750

>>8283310
http://shop104252821.taobao.com/?v=1

>$1700

This has to be a joke

>> No.8283753

>>8283750
Isn't it just a placeholder?

>> No.8283760

>>8283753
probably, but what if someone actually pays that?

>> No.8283764
File: 81 KB, 480x640, P11JS206-be-480x640[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283563
>>8283594

I have this feeling they're trying to keep things simple, as the series seems aimed at beginners. Also it helps keep the item count high if the instructions don't take up a lot of pages.

I'm hoping they'll eventually realise they need to add something new and do like, one of Baby's rufflemonster dresses, that would be awesome.

>> No.8283767

>>8283310
and people claim lolita isn't a costume.

>> No.8283770

>>8283767

Just as much as Pusheen t-shirt isn't a costume. Seriously, lighten up.

>> No.8283772

>>8283767
This . All the fucking time. Sceptors, long ass veils, etc.

>> No.8283806

>>8283764
>I have this feeling they're trying to keep things simple, as the series seems aimed at beginners.
I'm sure that's it, and I mean, it can't be helped. I'm not a great seamstress either so I appreciate that they're not too complicated, but at least something with scallops, or chiffon, or some gothic pieces because it has been overwhelmingly sweet/sweet classic so far.

>> No.8283814

>>8283767
It's tacky but not a costume. What would it even be a costume of?

>> No.8283845

>>8283806
>no gothic pieces

you do realize that you could just use black/jewel tones and BAM gothic right? gothic cuts are exactly the same as any other sub-style.

>> No.8283905

>>8283750
>taobao newfag detected.

>>8283760
It gets refunded, nothing will go through.
If you try to buy through SS, they'll just refund you directly. They know it's not for sale.

Come on anon, don't make snarky remarks without actually knowing anything.

>> No.8283916

>>8281263
If a girl is underage and their parents want to check it out, I don't blame them. I would be wary of weirdly dressed strangers around my kids. It's kind of awkward but not unnecessary. Last meetup I went to had a girl's mom and she was very sweet, she took pictures and was very supportive.

I feel so bad for boyfriends I see at meetups. Just... Why? Like, I have never once seen a boyfriend at a meetup look entertained, happy, or engaged. If there are mutual friends in the comm or they have an interest it's different, but why subject the poor person to it otherwise? I've just been to way too many meetups where the boyfriends are awkwardly, silently sitting there. Occasionally they'll entertain themselves by holding their gf's stuff for pictures and taking said pictures. Please don't bring your SO if they have no interest or don't know anyone!

>> No.8283923

>>8283753
>>8283905
>taking the b8

>> No.8283926

>>8282130
There are several reliable shopping services out there. Personally I've had very good experiences with Taobaospree and ebeebuy.

>> No.8283931

>>8282337
That second one is really cute.

>> No.8283938

>>8283294
>tfw you know you're an underage boy's rebound

>> No.8283952

>>8283806

Huh, now that you mention it, it is seriously lacking in gothic designs. They did a mini set of sweet pieces in black, so it's obviously not an issue with photographing black. I wonder what the issue is.

>> No.8283960

>>8283845
>newfag who probably tags Kurt sweet as gothic detected
What? No they're not. A super sweet dress in black is just a black colourway of a sweet dress.

>> No.8283966

>>8283916
I've never encountered a boyfriend at a meetup before because no-one in our comm brings them, but if they were polite and conversational I wouldn't mind. It'd be hella awkward if they didn't say anything, though.

>> No.8283975

>>8283916
My SO has gone to a couple meetups. But they were always at places where he could go do his own thing. Like one was at a bakery. There was a sports bar next door so he went there and ordered pizza and watched baseball while I hung out with the other lolitas.

>> No.8283987

>>8283845
Sure, but a lot of the cuts are on the sweeter side too. I'm also talking about jackets or headwear and stuff like that.

>> No.8283988

>>8283037
I am really interested in the kira patterns, anon, they are gorgeous!

>> No.8283989

>>8283952
I think gothic has been less popular these days compared to sweet and classic. It's a bit sad, really.

>> No.8283994

>>8283845
the fyeahlolita article "elegant gothic lolita" might help reduce your newfaggotry, unfortunately I can't link it without 4chan thinking it's spam

>> No.8284009

>>8283938
I think I was a rebound in the same way that a shotgun is a precision weapon.

>> No.8284022
File: 339 KB, 1300x870, kurt_cobain_kindlephoto-9688467.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8283960
>Kurt sweet

>> No.8284028

>>8283418
>>8283988

For the L size, the OP on the right takes 4m of Chambray fabric at 112cm width, and 2,10m of tulle. Also a grand total of 7,5m of lace and some elastic. It has detachable waist ties and a zipper in the back.

The Odette and Odile are actually the same JSK, Odile is just worn on top of a blouse. It's tulle and satin. Only 1,90m of satin for the dress, but 4,50m for the tulle skirt overlay. Has a side zipper.

Hope that helps!

>> No.8284037
File: 42 KB, 598x418, Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 3.53.12 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So trying to make a parody type thing for a potential sweater knit.
How does the cursive look for the top edit? Is it convincing?

>> No.8284040

>>8283952
I think it might be partly because gothic is less popular and partly because they don't really give instructions for any materials other than cotton, so the chiffon and velvet and jacquard or silk often seen in gothic would be too hard for the magazine's user base. I'd like to see them do a more gothic blouse, maybe a corset-waisted skirt.

>> No.8284049

>>8284037
At the moment this is looking more like not-quite-copyright-infringement than a parody. Like fake electronics that's a Wü instead of a Wii or a Blueberry instead of a Blackberry.

>> No.8284067

>>8284049
I don't think parody is the word I wanted to use, basically I want to make a sweater/cardi for myself to go with coords, but don't want to just put a brand name on the back. maybe homage is a better word?

>> No.8284073

>>8284037
The "wa" looks wonky imo, not sure if the "a" is too thin or the angle between the "w" and "a" make it look crooked

>> No.8284089

>>8284037
The spacing between the A and the l is too large, and the w isn't wide enough imo.

>> No.8284096

>>8281224
Good advice, thank you.

The one thing I don't how to respond to us when they say "Oh you/I could make that" when I am buying the matching headbow.

>> No.8284155

>>8284096

Oh LOL, I did actually try and make a matching something myself...actually I tried to make several matching somethings. I basically drove my friends nuts showing them all the pink fabric in the world and all the gold trim and then angsting over whether or not they matched the dress. I also pestered them all with details on how to make little felt appliques, beading, fabric painting, so on and so forth. And the long depressed whinges when they don't turn out right, and how I should have shelled out the money for the $40 headbow of the $300 dress so I could look nice instead of incomplete.

And then I started buying the matching headbows and no one complained. There may have been a couple of sighs of relief that I'm now spending money instead of time whinging about how hard it was to make matching hair accessories.

.... Maybe you can can tell your friends that print headbows are harder to make than they look, and if you're spending $300 on a dress, you might as well spend another $40 to look good.

>> No.8284158
File: 64 KB, 480x640, B39CB397-w-480x640.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Haven't really seen anyone talk about this. This is some anime crossover, right? As someone who's into Boz and the like this is right up my alley but this is a lot of stuff so I'm worried about cosplay quality.

>> No.8284159

>>8284155
yeah, you sound fucking insufferable

>> No.8284167

>>8284159

I know. I think that's why no one bats an eyelash when I get the full set headwear, socks and accessories now.

>> No.8284172
File: 34 KB, 300x300, aatp operalia bouquet bk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've got this AATP Operalia Bouquet JSK sitting in my closet...it's been at least a year since I've last worn Lolita and now I'm completely clueless as to what kind of blouse to wear with it. Pleeease, anyone, any ideas?
Hoping for a very classic, more mature look but I really don't know.

>> No.8284185
File: 29 KB, 408x294, Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 4.49.17 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8284037
>>8284049
>>8284073
>>8284089

Thanks gulls, update here.

>> No.8284187

>>8284172
Maybe something matching the kind of burgundy/wine (?) bows could be great. Don't know about the shape though.

>> No.8284202
File: 4 KB, 256x256, script_small_l_u2113_icon_256x256[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8284185
Looks better. I think the l could be a little cuter, something like pic related. But I like it!

>> No.8284205
File: 119 KB, 500x750, tumblr_m9zq9hrEhl1qm2e6mo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8284172
Black is a safe bet. Pair it with some kind of black tights (maybe lace/floral ones) and dark red/burgundy shoes for a basic coord. Kind of reminds me of the dress peachie wore when she was put in classic.

>> No.8284209
File: 167 KB, 1242x845, aplogo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8284202
true, but the original logo 'L' isn't that way. I'll see how it looks though. The straight L would be easier to knit too.

>> No.8284228

>>8284205
Funny you should mention Peachie, I thought the same when I saw that video.

Yeah, I was thinking black for the blouse is my safest bet. Burgundy might actually be lovely and the coord wouldn't end up so dark but it might be hard to find just the right shade.
Anyone got any blouse examples that are sort of, idk, semi-sheer? I'm not really sure what I have in mind but I just don't want anything really thick and black underneath because of the black upper part of the bodice and all that.

What if I go with dark burgundy tights with some black in them (if I can find that...) and black shoes? Ugh, this is proving harder than expected.

>> No.8284265

>>8283310
More importantly, sauce on that fish bag?

>> No.8284281

would it be dumb to buy a parasol/umbrella with a print on it if I don't have that specific print?

>> No.8284287

>>8284158
If it is a crossover...it doesnt change the quality of the item from a brand. Just get it if you like it.

>> No.8284329

>>8284155
...uh thanks for the lj entry but I am talking about how to react when you are a normal person being told by a friend that bow you want to buy could be a diy project.

>> No.8284344

>>8284067

If you don't sell it I don't see a problem. I could see how it would be touchy if you manufactured them for sale.

>> No.8284347

>>8284329
I guess just tell them the same thing you would tell them if they told you "why don't you just make that dress instead?"

Basically that, you might possibly spend just as much on materials as you would making it, it would take much more time and attention to detail then you have the time and ability to properly give, you don't know how to make a certain bow exactly the same way and you don't have time or feel like trying to figure it out, you may not be able to get certain details just right (i.e. you want matching lace or charms)
Alternatively, that you simply just don't feel like making it yourself. There's so many normalfag dresses that you could "just make yourself" but a lot of people don't have the skills or simply just don't want to. If you wanted to make the headbow, you would be currently doing that as opposed to trying to buy it.

>> No.8284505

>>8284265
>sauce on that fish bag?
One of the more weird things I have read in a while

>> No.8284521

>>8283310
Okay, but Taiyaki purse plz

>> No.8284547

>>8283975
I'm sorry anon, this made me burst out laughing. It kind of reminds me of a parent dropping off their kid and then fucking off somewhere else because they don't want to hang around a kid's birthday party or something. Glad your SO finds things to do though, sometimes they obviously don't want to be at the meet but for some reason don't want to go find something else to do.

>> No.8284634

>>8283539
honestly youtube tutorials are an awesome way to learn to sew. and you don't even need to leave your house, so that's a bonus.

>> No.8284728

>>8283280
Isn't she closed by now?

>> No.8284741

>>8283280
She is closed until 1st August, sorry anon. There's a post on their facebook and tumblr.

>> No.8284792

>>8284728
>>8284741
I had a spot with her before she closed and she got me my dress but I am still waiting for an invoice. She sent me an email early Saturday morning about someone not wanting the bow and socks, she asked if I wanted them. That is the last I heard from her after I told her yes.

>> No.8284809
File: 1.94 MB, 235x180, 1414172606558.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I recently got one of Surface Spell's neck ruffs in the mail and it has a very strong mildew odor. I tried airing it out, but no luck and it's black, so bleach is completely out of the question. I was going to soak it in a 1:1 mix of white vinegar and water overnight, but I dunno if that'll be strong enough. Any other tips for deep-cleaning delicate accessories?

>> No.8284826
File: 18 KB, 205x300, borax.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8284809
Try borax! It's really good at removing odors and making things smell fresh, but doesn't have any fragrances, plus it's non-toxic. You can find it at grocery stores. It's also really great for general household cleaning purposes like dishes and bathtubs.

>> No.8284835

>>8283039
NEED
E
E
D

>> No.8284839

>>8284547
Well yeah. I don't want to force the poor guy to sit around being miserable while we girls chat away about brando and lace. He texted me later during the meet to come over and grab some wings and pizza.

>> No.8284840

>bidding on blouse
>super excited, it's a rare find: man sized!
>am high bidder a few minutes before auction is supposed to end
>getting excited, refreshing lots, etc.
>auction end time changes to five minutes later than it had been
>i get outbid
>bid higher, maybe the time change was a glitch
>approaching end of auction now
>end time changes again
>bids climbing higher toward my max bid
>time changes again

fuck this, is the seller postponing the end of the auction to get more bids or am i being paranoid? feels bad man, i could have won by now but it looks like i might not. fromjapan never sniper bids 20 mins before the auction ends, what is going on?

>> No.8284849
File: 187 KB, 499x499, 1411616918433.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>>/s/15884614

>> No.8284851

>>8284849
ftfy

>> No.8284853
File: 77 KB, 494x322, sdfsdf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8284840
Sellers can set the time to extend automatically.
i.e. if time left is under 5 minutes, and there is a new bid, the time will extend to 5 minutes left again.
Not sure about exact time, but it is a feature that can be toggled.
This prevents sniping.
>pic related

>> No.8284856

>>8284840
it's called a snipe guard you noob

>> No.8284870

>>8284853
>>8284856

thanks, will look for that next time

>> No.8284886

>>8284870
people will usually drop out after a few extra bids, unless it's a popular item

if the other person doesn't stop outbidding me after about 6 bids, i drop out since i figure they'll be more attached to it/have bigger budget than me. also, the knowledge that i made them pay more makes up for not getting said item
>salty

>> No.8284892

>>8284886
>also, the knowledge that i made them pay more makes up for not getting said item
hahaha yeah that was my thought. whoever it was earned it. and maybe will have less $$ to spend on the next item we both want.

>> No.8284920

>>8284329
>>8284096

I usually explain that it's easier to resell the dresses if I had the matching pieces to it. If the conversation permits, it's also a nice segue to explain the secondhand market, so you can explain how the dresses are still worth something even after you're done with it, which also helps with those comments about how expensive it is.

I guess "it's much harder to makes than it looks" or "the fabric is impossible to find" also works.

>> No.8284997
File: 2 KB, 48x48, 88917263189.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8284792
oh, good luck then anon, I hope you can pick your dress soon!

>> No.8285460

>>8284347
>why don't you just make that dress instead?
People actually ask me this a lot, especially with plainer items. It's ridiculous because I usually buy from Taobao, so being like "Why would you spend £60 on a dress when you could just make it?!" really is not worth my time or money. My usual answer is that because the fabric would cost me £5/metre and there are several metres of fabric in the dress, the lace would cost me £1/metre and there's a few metres of that too, and it would take hours to make.

>> No.8285531
File: 128 KB, 271x288, cheers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8284028
Thanks, anon!

>> No.8286757

>>8280642
I just bought a btssb tartan red skirt for 15 euro second hand. Keep an eye out on Closet Child, Y!J, etc., and even western sales.

>> No.8286787

>>8281542
I'm a 28F/FF, most of my blouses are IW, they fit fine, plenty of room.