[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 20 KB, 280x440, kintaro12ja.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8273942 No.8273942 [Reply] [Original]

srs question. why are all the cosplay videos on pootube 95% girlies? dont get me wrong i love seeing a lil titty action as much as any other guy, but im sure that a lot of guys also have great costumes, and put lots of work into them!
am i just looking at the wrong videos? is it all the most viewed videos that are mostly girls and i should search something more specific?

>> No.8273948

>>8273942

Search for gay cosplays.

>> No.8273975

You could probably find some cosplaying trannies on YouTube since there are a lot of FtM trannies in cosplay and they seem to love attention whoring on social media. But Idk if you consider them real men or not, that would depend on your level of SJW.

>> No.8274014
File: 431 KB, 1600x1200, 1262830352716.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

solid replies

>> No.8274016

>>8273948
You'll just end up with fakebois if you go that route.

>> No.8274023

>im sure that a lot of guys also have great costumes, and put lots of work into them!

Kek. I'm not even a cosplayer and I know that you can count on one hand the number of impressive male cosplayers. Most male "cosplayers" are doing joke cosplays or else they're badly crossplaying with a bought costume (because sewing is for fags). Sage for replying to a male thread

>> No.8274028
File: 5 KB, 240x160, 53432168464.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8274023
righto, never been to one so i wasnt sure. this answers my question, will shutup and continue looking at softcore =)

>> No.8274074

>>8274023
Basically this. Really though, if you dont have tits most people dont give a fuck about your costume, regardless if how well made and detailed it is. Halfasswd costumes by girls get a hundred pictures a good guy cosplay may get a handful and lucky to find one pic of yourself.

>> No.8274153

>>8274074
up your power level then. I never make t&a cosplays, and I still get a good amount of attention because I choose characters/series that people like and work hard on my craftsmanship. My less impressive cosplays don't get many photos taken, but that's just the way this hobby works. It's not because I'm OMG A GRILL.

>Yet another male cosplayer who expects to be showered in attention because he made a good-average costume

>> No.8274194

A few reasons. The first being that T&A costumes get more attention by default for thirst reasons, and the second being that women in cosplay generally hold themselves to a higher standard than men. Which isn't to say that there aren't disgusting hambeast embarrassment women who cosplay, but that as a rule, generally men put in less effort. You're a lot more likely to see a guy not wearing any makeup, not wearing a wig, skimping on construction details, than you are a woman.

Beyond that, you often get men behind the cameras shooting these videos, so they'll be filming what they want to see (T&A) and what nets their video the most views (T&A). If you want to stand out as a guy in cosplay, have exceptional craftsmanship and presence or nail something FOTM.

>> No.8274207

>>8274194
Very true. I feel that male and female cosplayers have a very different baseline of where "acceptable" and "great" cosplays are. The guys I know who do go the full nine yards with wigs, makeup, intricate outfits, etc, get loads of attention.

>> No.8274337

>>8274023
>Most male "cosplayers" are doing joke cosplays or else they're badly crossplaying with a bought costume (because sewing is for fags). Sage for replying to a male thread

Cool lets forgo all the really good armor and mecha cosplay that men have done. Also most really good male cosplayers go for co stuff

>> No.8274345

>>8274194
>>8274207

As a guy who formally only made shit cosplays but actually wants to do one right for a change, would you anons happen to know of any good male makeup tutorials? Specifically contouring, I have a nose on par with Adrien Brody, so I'd like to make it look a little smaller if I can.

>> No.8274474

>>8274207
This is absolutely true. People are STARVED to see more male cosplayers who wear well fitted costumes, wigs and use some makeup. If you guy a guy like that (who doesn't even need to be super good looking) they will turn heads.

The problem is so many men in the hobby are all "WAAAA MAKEUP AND WIGS ARE SO GIRLY. I'M NATURALLY GOOD LOOKING!" and won't even touch the stuff with the 10 foot pole.

It's ok though as that just gives more attention to the men who actually bother doing this stuff

>> No.8274476

>>8274345
How dark is your skin/foundation? I ask as you can either use powder or dark foundation.

>> No.8274512

>>8274337
>most

I agree that there are good male cosplayers, but anyone who has been to a con can very clearly see that 90% of male cosplayers slap a shirt that sort of looks right on and safety pin a few things here or there and call it a cosplay. good male cosplays are great, but they are very clearly in the minority. women at least seem to try more as a whole. some bad ones of course, but not nearly the same distribution or levels of crap

>> No.8274544

>>8274512
Many of the male characters that are cosplayed have super simple designs so there is a chance there are more "less than crap" examples but they don't catch your eye

Also head over to a Ren fair or larp session and you can see some seriously good costumes and armor that are overwhelming created by men

>> No.8274546

I vow as a female photographer to only photograph men now.

This is going to be hard.

>> No.8274552

>>8274544
Super simple designs can still be well done. But 90% of them think their greasy hair is perfect for the character and that their beautiful face looks fine without makeup. Not saying that men are less crafty than women, it's just that most of them don't take the hobby as seriously and tend to half-ass a lot of the details.

>> No.8274562

>>8274552
They don't take it as seriously, or they just plain don't realize the lengths that women and women cosplayers go to having their faces and hair look presentable. Or sometimes you get a side of insecurity mixed in because they legit think that wigs and makeup is for "girls and gays" only.

The guys who don't use wigs/makeup because they're fine with being casual are all right. But damn it's annoying when they start bitching about not being cosfamous, or are shocked that muscles and a dick hasn't netted them hoards of admirers.

>> No.8274576

>>8274562
>wigs
You find me decent beards, you got a deal.
Most male characters don't have outlandish hair on top unless you are doing VK. It's beards, and lack thereof, that get me.

>> No.8274578

>>8274476
I'm British, so pretty light. I have no idea how dark my foundation is because I've never used any.

>> No.8274669 [DELETED] 

>>8274476
Hey, it's me again

First of all if you're going to contour then you're going to need to learn how to apply foundation and concealer in your face. The reason for this is that foundation serves as a proper "canvas" for other makeup allowing it to stay on your face easier not to mention it evens out your skin tone and covers up blemishes

Yes this does mean you're going to be investing more in makeup than you think as you will be buying foundation, concealer, brushes and such but its going to be worth it. Typically you don't need to go all out and buy expensive stuff. Hit up your local Rite Aid or Target and you'll find what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwTLNZG847Q

This is an ok tutorial but really you're going to find out what you preference is. Pretty much that's how I learned how to do makeup was buy a bunch of cheap stuff and experimented. I'll be hovering around this thread so if you got questions or a general list on what to buy then just post it here and I'll help out

>> No.8274680

>>8274576
You still need a wig, even if your character doesn't have over the top hair. Take a look at someone cosplaying a character while wearing a wig, then look at someone cosplaying the same character with their own hair. A wig has more hair than you, so it looks fuller and more impressive - unless you have unusually great hair or the character's hair is really really short, wigs help balance out the rest of your ridiculous costume and also draw even more attention to how put-together you look. Again, this is why a lot of male cosplayers get overlooked - they don't realize what they're missing out on.

>> No.8274691

>>8274552
The point I'm trying to make is that the nature of the characters simple designs you could have passed by many good examples of the costume but they didn't catch your eye

>> No.8274698

>>8274578
Hey, it's me again

First of all if you're going to contour then you're going to need to learn how to apply foundation and concealer in your face. The reason for this is that foundation serves as a proper "canvas" for other makeup allowing it to stay on your face easier not to mention it evens out your skin tone and covers up blemishes

Yes this does mean you're going to be investing more in makeup than you think as you will be buying foundation, concealer, brushes and such but its going to be worth it. Typically you don't need to go all out and buy expensive stuff. Hit up your local Rite Aid or Target and you'll find what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwTLNZG847Q [Embed]

This is an ok tutorial but really you're going to find out what you preference is. Pretty much that's how I learned how to do makeup was buy a bunch of cheap stuff and experimented. I'll be hovering around this thread so if you got questions or a general list on what to buy then just post it here and I'll help out

>>8274680
That's mainly with anime and some game cosplay. Most of the better known male characters have short hair and thus using wigs for them would be really difficult/inefficient

>> No.8274709

>>8274691

diff anon, but your point is not really valid. I don't see male cosplayers doing simple designs well. I see male cosplayers flocking to simple designs and still doing a shit job with them. again, this isn't every male cosplayer. however, to be perfectly honest it's darn near every one I've seen in person

>> No.8274729

>>8274709
I understand what you're saying and how the male cosplayers you view are bad. However what I'm saying is that there is likelihood of good male cosplayers who passed you buy as their designs are so simple that you might have mistook them as a regular convention goer

>> No.8274774

>>8274698
Thanks for all the help. Fortunately I live with my gf so I won't need to purchase the basics. I'll give that tutorial a trial run tomorrow and post feedback here if the thread's still alive.

Threads like this help me aspire to be a non-shitty male cosplayer.

>> No.8274958

>>8274774
That's great you have an in. If things work out well consider getting your brushes and set if you want to have your specific makeup needs met. Your gf will also help with basic techniques and serve as a good second opinion.

One thing that your gf might not have that you should look into is theater grade finishing powder. This is useful as it keeps the makeup on your face and prevents it from running. Conventions are pretty harsh places to be in as you're sweating from effort and weather. Using this stuff will make sure the makeup stays in one place and doesn't annoy you by going in your eyes and such

>> No.8275203

Most of the guys I've talked to at cons mainly just go there to hang out with friends/go to panels/pick up girls. Hardly any give a shit about photoshoots or looking nice, and half-ass their cosplays because they legitimately don't care.

That, or they just do a half-assed Kamina to show off their abs.

>> No.8275763

>>8275203
Shirtless is one of the easiest variants for a guy to do.

>> No.8275793

>>8274729
Even if that's the case, the designs are boring and therefore unimpressive.
Girls cosplaying boring shit are overlooked too even if it's well done.

>> No.8275907

>>8275203

As a guy, so fucking what? I've never spent longer than a weekend working on a costume and that's because I do it to have fun with my friends, not because I'm so self-absorbed I need shit like professional pictures, make-up, and a fucking facebook fan page for my god damn hobby.

The people here take dressing up as fictional characters way too seriously. You're dressing up as a chinese cartoon, who cares if you're 100% accurate.

>> No.8275936

>>8275907
> who cares if you're 100% accurate!!1!
> goes to con with shit costume
> :^( why won't they notice me, ugh, people only pay attention to girls

>> No.8275982

>>8275936

I haven't posted in this thread until that post. I don't give a shit about attention because I'm not an attention whore, unlike 99% of this board.

>> No.8276787

Some tumblr tier dick hatred on this board, why is all of 4chan pretending to be a grill? You're all dudes and we all know it, shit.
>prove me wrong
Yeah right nigger.

>> No.8276788

>>8274153
>It's not because I'm OMG A GRILL
yes it is. You don't have to do T&A costumes for people to go OMG A GRILL

>> No.8276800

>>8275907
>As a guy, so fucking what?

the thread was made by a guy asking why he can't find videos of awesome cosplay done by guys. that is the "so what" of this thread. people are looking for content that does not exist, and then discussing why it does not exist.

complaining about people taking cosplay too seriously on this board is like complaining about gun collectors on /k/ or guys who spend money out the ass to be /fit/ in specific ways.

you will always have your casuals vs enthusiasts in any hobby, cosplay is just a realm where guys are more casual. i am sure you spend your time and money taking something "too seriously" unless you're normie scum in which case get off 4chan.

>> No.8276807

>>8275982
Congarats on your UNIQUE OPINIONNNZNZZZ then, but you're in the wrong fucking thread.

The thread is little about "why don't most guys get attention?"

Stucking your thumb up your ass and crowing about how you don't waaannntttt attention and everyone who does is a whoooooore just makes you look like a fucking idiot who can't read.

>> No.8276865

I don't see why people are saying that male cosplayers on youtube are under Representative when the examples are found have views in the multimillions.

Epic Rap Battles
Dpiddy
Beatdown Boggie
Screen Team (Husband and Wife Duo)
Random Encounters

>> No.8276882

>>8276865
Because usually when someone makes a thread like this it's:

1) A guy who's assmad that his cosplay doesn't get as much attention as he thinks it deserves

2) A crossboard troll trying to stir shit.

>> No.8276889
File: 54 KB, 640x516, laughing walker man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>All this implication that men are somehow incompetent when it comes to making costumes in comparison to women, and that sewing is somehow something all men look down on

That's why all the finest fashion designers in the world are women right?

>> No.8276898

>>8276889

That's why all those fashion designers target mostly men with their fashions right?

>> No.8276900

>>8276898
>Being a target market for an item somehow confers the skill of the artisan who crafted it to you

>> No.8276907

>>8276889
I've noticed that guys tend to make really one solid and impressive piece, but then fuck up the presentation so all their hard work becomes moot.

>> No.8276908

>>8276900

It meant that largely, women have better fashion sense than guys, which translates to a better eye when making costumes.

>> No.8276912

>>8276907
This.

I've seen a ton of guys who have a great armor piece, but then just have a t-shirt on underneath, no makeup, and no wig.

>> No.8276915

>>8276908
IMO it's more broad than just fashion sense - women have a better sense for how they present themselves to the world and on camera (makeup, wigs, nice clothing). There will always be a few top-tier dudes (and designers, idk why the argument took a turn there but whatever) who put women to shame, but it doesn't take a genius to glance around at the average man and woman before making a guess at who will naturally feel the need to put more effort into presenting themselves.

>> No.8276919

>>8276915

Being a guy I hate this. I find myself having to learn not just things like wigs and makeup, but also things like posing and how to smile correctly for cameras. From my experience women seem to naturally catch on to that stuff a lot better than guys. Not to say I'm not trying, but since I've never done it before getting into cosplay I have literally zero prior experience.

>> No.8276926

>>8276915
Ridiculous, there are just as many male models as female ones, which is where that skillset is used mostly.

>> No.8276927

>>8276919
Maybe normie women. I grew up as a tomboy into nerdy shit and had no earthly idea how to apply makeup, pose myself nicely, find flattering fabrics or anything else like that before entering the con scene. We all learn eventually (if you want to be any good, anyway).

>> No.8276929

>>8276926

Models have their makeup done by other people, are told how to pose, and are given the nice clothing to wear. They don't do shit.

>> No.8276931

>>8276929

Spoken like someone who doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about. Have you actually done any modelling? If you go on a shoot and have to be told how to pose they'll fire you within the fucking minute.

>> No.8276934
File: 57 KB, 744x307, 4sryFf5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love seeing how weirdly sexism goes down on predominantly-female forums like /cgl/. Dudebros come from /r9k/ not realizing that they won't get empathetic asspats for their rampant virgincore misogyny here.

>> No.8276936

>>8276915

My bf the other day wondered aloud to me why he looks worse on some days and better on others. When I asked him about his hygiene routine, he was like 'what.' He doesn't even put on lotion unless it's the dead dry bone of winter and he can feel his skin cracking.

For me, that sort of routine is second nature by now. Granted, I had to learn as well - my mom didn't really instill a beauty care routine in me so I had to feel things out - but I think there's more pressure for girls to care for their skin, and more importantly, it's more acceptable for girls to think a lot about their presentation.

>>8276919

Haha, I am terrible at posing. It's a huge learning curve for me as well, so don't feel bad about your awkward poses. Just keep practicing, and hopefully in the 100 shots you take there will be one good one (at least that's how I do it).

>>8276926

I'm going to bet the competition for male models is somewhat less than female ones to have equal representation.

>> No.8276942

>>8276936
>hopefully in the 100 shots you take there will be one good one (at least that's how I do it).

Not only that, even the really good posers have to do that to get the really good pics. For every perfect cosplay photo there are a dozen from that same shoot that look nowhere near as good.

>> No.8276947

>>8276889
The fact that the majority of young 'famous' designers are men is a direct result of institutional sexism (usually coupled with classism. Alex Wang & co had mommy and daddy back their first business ventures.) If you don't believe me, take note of the almost-uniformly-male CFDA womenswear award nominees over the past five years, and then consider the fact that the vast majority (90+%) of fashion design students are women. Even if men were intrinsically better at making clothes than women were, it'd be impossible for them to be dominating NYFW in an environment in which gender equality was present. But here we fucking are!

>> No.8276971

>>8276926
>The average man
>Average man
>AVERAGE
Did you even read

>> No.8276978

>>8276936
I think posing is one place where both genders are on even playing fields - it's not really something most people encounter prior to cosplay so people just naturally look like drrps until they get enough practice in.

It's also really not helpful when your photographer doesn't help direct you, or tells you when you're holding your head weirdly. I consider myself pretty good at posing but I'll still get shoot photos back where I look like a complete idiot because the angle for the pose is completely wrong.

>> No.8276979

>>8276971
>The average man/woman on the street are those likely to get into cosplay

That's like saying the average man or woman would make a better astronaut, it's a moot point because it's not something the average person does.

Not that sweeping generalizations about how skilled someone is at something based entirely on gender isn't fucking retarded in the first place of course.

>> No.8276984

>>8276979
>Ridiculous, there are just as many male models as female ones

Oh okay so you're saying that men with modeling inclinations tend to get into cosplay more than those who don't? Because they want to model as opposed to make cool shit/fanboy over characters?

Really?

Really, dude?

>> No.8276986

>>8276984
if all these male cosplayers got the modeling gene, then why do so many of them refuse to let makeup touch their faces lmfao

>> No.8276989

>>8276919
>but also things like posing and how to smile correctly for cameras.

That's not a women thing that's just general practice and confidence. Many acting classes cover this subject

>> No.8277354

>>8276919
>women seem to naturally catch on to that stuff a lot better than guys
No. It's just that they learnt those kind of skills at a younger age (It's not lady-like to frown, I look terrible in this picture!, etc.), which is why they can transfer the skills they already know into cosplay/photography. Girls who didn't grow up around "women things" also have the same problem.

That being said, practice in front of a mirror. Really look at yourself, and know your good angles. Try to imagine what people see when they look at you, and then adjust yourself so that they will only see the flattering side.

>> No.8277701

>>8276800
>complaining about people taking cosplay too seriously on this board is like complaining about gun collectors on /k/ or guys who spend money out the ass to be /fit/ in specific ways.

I just came here cause I was bored. I find it silly that people would take such habits too seriously.

>unless you're normie scum in which case get off 4chan.
What the heck is wrong with being a normie?

>> No.8279055

>>8277701
>I-I was just bored!!!! I don't REALLY care!!!
Dude, just leave it. Defending yourself makes you seem like you're the guy who always needs to get a word in even if the conversation is about something you're uninvolved in. It's unnecessary.

On topic, I've found that the attitude a ton of guys have towards cosplay is "this looks good enough." Emphasis on the "enough." They don't care as much about fine details or looking polished, they do the basics and if it looks at least recognizable, they're satisfied.
I have many male friends like this. They'll wear a full cosplay and even a wig sometimes, but won't let me adjust their outfits so they actually sit correctly. They think it's enough to just have the costume on, even if it isn't on /right/.
It drives me crazy to see ill-fitting costumes that would otherwise be good. Going on the con floor with loose straps or pants that aren't tucked in your boots makes you look like you can't dress yourself even with a reference.

>> No.8279102
File: 60 KB, 901x719, Daenerys-Targaryen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> tfw comparing self to beautiful cosplayers, actresses and models
> tfw constantly knowing youre inadequate

anyone else know these feels?

>> No.8279118
File: 28 KB, 320x240, gb10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

op here, mhmm this is very educational. sorry to invoke rage responses, was intended to be a question answered by something I was doing wrong

>> No.8279141

>>8279102
Yes, but then again it's pretty common in most girls to compare themselves to x celebrity or model and to feel inadequate.

But then again there's also times where I look in a mirror and I am startled at how pretty I really am when I'm not constantly putting myself down.

>> No.8283422

Look at the fashion industry. Even high profile male models are ignored by the public meanwhile female models can actually gain a large fanbase outside of the fashion industry.

Seeing this happen in the cosplay world is no surprise

>> No.8285992

>>8279118
I find this thread amusing too.

If you guys want to be noticed then you need to step your game up with well fitted outfits, good wigs and descent makeup