[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 3 KB, 330x51, fanime-logo.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8203263 No.8203263 [Reply] [Original]

>58 days before con
>AA payments due in 1 week
>nobody's been confirmed in the AA yet.
How can such a big con suck this bad?

>> No.8203275

They're always like this. Last year I was on the waitlist and I was notified I got a spot less than 2 weeks before the con.

>> No.8203294

I understand they're trying to be fair but they're actually making me miss first come first serve.

>> No.8203666

>>8203275
nah, it's worse then last year. I'm just hoping it won't have the big ass check in line wait for AA.

>> No.8203673

>check every official fanime site for artist alley updates, no updates whatsoever
>send polite email asking about the status
>2 weeks later, still nothing

good job guys

>> No.8203746

>>8203673
seriously, we're gonna end up finding out the took the money and ran.

>> No.8203773

>>8203673
Oh, not just me. I was certain I had missed something because what the fuck was the point of opening shit up in December to announce places later than last fucking year.

>> No.8203873

Obviously, this delay has probably gypped a lot of out-of-state artists, especially since other (arguably bigger and better) cons are the same weekend. While California has a huge talent pool overall, do you guys think this delay will impact Fanime's reputation to the point where it actually decreases the quality of the alley?

Fanime has always had a huge and very talented alley, but even CA artists will go somewhere else if they can guarantee a table. At this point, if I lived in SoCal, I wouldn't even consider Fanime if I got into another con, like Anime North. I'm local so of course Fanime's a good bet for me even if they sent out acceptances the week before the con. I'm just curious as to how this poor management might hit the alley in the long term.

>> No.8204050

>>8203873
Fanime general. On a sidenote, hotel reg is just as competent.

>> No.8204201

>>8203873
>bigger and better
fanime is top 10 in attendence in the USA. I think it was number 3.

>> No.8204254

Super glad I paid for my table for Animazment. By the time they announced anything I wouldn't have time to plan.

Animazement also changed their no refund date from March 30th to March 15th so east coast artist are locked in anyway.

>> No.8204267

I just want to know when swap meet registration starts to get rid of my shit.

>> No.8204291

>58 days
>still no fucking guests
>SCANDAL is in LA during the same weekend (what the fuck)
>at least there won't be a line, right guys?

Fanime: resting on their laurels since fucking forever

>> No.8204319

>>8204291
I used to staff Fanime, and gave up in disgust a few years ago. It's the same fucking people who've been doing it for the past fifteen years and treat it like their little petty fiefdoms.

>> No.8204323

>>8204319
what I don't get is why wouldn't they use their status to get some goddamn guests?! I mean, what better way to powertrip than to be able to say "HAHA, I GOT ____ and ____?"

if it wasn't local I wouldn't bother to go

>> No.8204327

>>8204323
They've thrown their lot in with Gainax, and are content to (or are afraid not to) have the same three people every year. I dunno. You may as well ask why the program book is almost always late every year, or why they haven't figured out registration, or....

>> No.8204336

>>8204323
Too much work.

>>8204327
At least badge pickup last year was a breeze, right? Baby steps, people.

>> No.8204414

>>8204336
for regular attendee.
the AA badge line was 4 hours wait time.

>> No.8204494

>>8204319
That pretty much summarizes every con. Imagine if we had a con organized by mature, professional people.

>> No.8204516

>>8204494
That would require that they get paid for their organized selves

>> No.8204563

>>8204494
SDCC doing pretty good
AX somehow thrives in spite of its leadership
J-Pop Summit (not really a con) kicking ass, seriously

>> No.8204573

>>8204494
I think they're still too hung up on their "by fans, for fans" creed to hire competent people to run things more professionally.

>> No.8204577

>>8204573
Guess they should find some fans who know what the hell they are doing.

>> No.8205028

>>8204577
Who also live close enough for meetings and are willing to do the work for free?

>> No.8205080

>>8204563
>J-Pop Summit (not really a con) kicking ass, seriously

Cept people left that event super miffed last year thanks to the Ramen festival.

>> No.8205182

>>8204323
>what I don't get is why wouldn't they use their status to get some goddamn guests?!

They get really good bands so I count those as guests. Meanwhile while I do see the importance of guests I also believe that guests do not make or break a con. Fanime lacks in reg updates and guests but they make it up with 24 hour programming, a venue that doesn't close, interesting events, fast badge pickups and a good location.

I'll trade in meh industry guests for all of that

>> No.8205297

>>8205080
seriously. It was so damn crowded. My friends and I were so stoked, then we just left because it was just a cluster fuck. All I wanted was my ramen burger.

>> No.8205375

>mfw cousin heads santa clara county convention center group
>ask him how much to start my own con with black jack and hookers.
>100k
>.... I so could do that if I wanted to organize.

>> No.8205501
File: 2 KB, 124x124, 578999089.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How many people wanna drop bets that they didn't up the masquerade at all either. Fanime gunna fanine. Let's cross our fingers that they are keeping the lines short still.

Also, cosplay lineups? I'm having huge debating issues. Thinking a drrr and kancolle since their in. Bets on what we're gunna see?

>> No.8206019

>>8205501
I'm doing DRRR!

>> No.8206082

>>8205028
Pretty much this in a nut shell. any professional organizer of events this big is going to want mad money. I have gone for 15 years now. I am not stopping as it has always been fun for me at least.

>> No.8206101

>>8205501
Love Live with the roomie and some friends!

>> No.8206570
File: 201 KB, 919x868, mexivore.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8206019
I'm celty-ing with my giant ass scythe I had at ALA (remaking the suit and helemt too). What are you doing?
I'm actually really excited to see a Varona with a killer suit.

>>8206101
I was gunna mention I'm doing LL too but it's just basic bitch Rin with Sonic (the SEGA outfit). If the gathering moves days to a casual day, then I'll go and stir shit up with my maracas.

>> No.8206619

>>8205080
barring the ramen clusterfuck they have had significant growth every year and some big name guests

I remember when it was just a single day thing

>> No.8206639

THIS WILL BE MY 10TH YEAR ATTENDING! Im so excited!

>> No.8206645

>>8203873
The AA has always been like this. Mind you, last year they had their remodel, so they had to work around that as well. With this year, from last years experience, they are probably still trying to hash out some of the rooms for where places will be held. It is 52 weeks. Plenty of time.

>> No.8206649

>>8205501
Velma
Mid-change Poison Ivy/Pamela Iseley
Kigurumi lame ass lazyness
Belle

Im not going overboard with outfits this year. Ive been focusing too much on trying to be cool with having SO many different cosplays that I forget to actually even enjoy the convention was is.

>> No.8206663

anyone going to Scandal and then Fanime?

why the hell did the promoters book Scandal at the same time as Fanime but down in LA? And then have another show just a few days later, also in socal? it would have made a million times more sense to book the show in norcal first

>> No.8206679

They gonna announce any guests yet or what?

Also waiting for maid cafe emails for forum access to go out, thinking about what to perform this year and I hope I can get folks to do some songs with me!

>> No.8206687

>>8206679
Did they pick who they want yet? I know the auditions weren't too long ago.

>> No.8206691

>>8206687

I was invited back from last year, they have their audition times/places posted up on their Facebook, but I recall an email saying decisions should be made by the end of March.

>> No.8206765

>>8205182
>fast badge pickups
That only happened once - last year. Previous years were a living hell.

>> No.8206780

>>8206570
I'm going as Ruri to my friend's Kasuka. Idk if the rest of our group wants to join in, but that's one of my for-sure costumes!

>> No.8206784

>>8206765
not to mention that fast badge pick ups so you can then go see nothing isn't really worth it.

last year, yeah, huge advancement. but if they have no guests to back up their newfound pickup? worthless. conventions need unique stuff to draw people from afar. right now fanime's only appeal is that a shitload of other people go to it because it's been around a while. if they had started one, two years ago and had no guests? who would go?

>> No.8206802

>>8206784
>last year, yeah, huge advancement. but if they have no guests to back up their newfound pickup? worthless

Events can start earlier and you're not missing out panels and such.. You're ignoring stuff like stage zero, 24 hour game room, video rooms, huge swap meet and some REALLY good panels

>> No.8206816

>>8206784
Home Made Kazoku were awesome. That's... pretty much it. I don't even remember who the other guests were.

>> No.8206833

>>8206816
Takami Akai, Kira Buckland, Home Made Kazoku, Hiroyuki Kanbe, Noir, Gilles Poitras, Raj Ramayya, Chantal Strand, J. Michael Tatum, and Hiroyuki Yamaga.

so yeah, pretty forgettable.

>>8206802
stage zero and the game room should be supplemental to big name guests. value added and not the main draw. you want people to see that you have ____ and that they won't be able to see ____ elsewhere. if fanime wasn't on memorial day it'd be so much weaker and less popular. it's not even a strength they made themself; it's simply the convenience of having claimed a stake earlier than their competition.

>> No.8206966

>>8206802
I never even go to big events. I hate them. Aside from choosing between the masquerade and the 'masquerade' [the showcase], going to the 24hr game room, DH, AA, Stage Zero [Where I have been chosen every year to participate and even got 2nd place overall in 2010], and panels, I find big name events and greets boring as shit.

This is actually the case for many, MANY congoers. While some people do like series and artists, the idea of meeting them really isn't that big of a deal to a lot of fans. The more intense fans, yes, but not really to many of them. Especially with how the internet is.

The only draw would probably be a cool band which, frankly, a lot of people seem to like over meeting one individual. The greet for the band would be more popular too.

>> No.8206971

>>8206966
Forgot to mention, since I cosplay, gatherings. I love gatherings and Fanime has some of the biggest gatherings aside, from what I can think of, AX. In California, I mean. Maybe I don't go to enough conventions, but these two conventions have the largest gatherings lists I have seen so far.

Also, if Im not at the convention I am wandering around going to different food places with friends in cosplay and hanging out which is pretty much a convention. Guests REALLY don't make OR break a convention. Especially NOW.

>> No.8207009

>>8206971
I've always really liked the gatherings at Fanime. The crowd is so varied that it's one of the few opportunities to wear cosplays and actually find other people on the spot who are from the same series without needing to pre-organize some kind of group. Two years ago, I wore my Cecilia Alcott cosplay there and managed to find 2 Ichikas and 3 Charlottes.

>> No.8207023

>>8206966
good thing fanime has neither solo or group guests

>> No.8207028

Remember the anon from last thread That got their hotel hijacked?

They weren't fucking kidding. Check your spam filters guys. Mine was just jacked and cancelled under the name FANIMECON and when I called, they said I was scalping my room and that's why they cancelled it. I was like what the fuck, I have one room, pre paid, why the fuck would I scalp it?

All I got is we will process your refund in 8 to 12 weeks and they hung up

>> No.8207045

>>8207028
A lot of conventions do this. Its no surprise. Definitely not only for this place.

>> No.8207053

>>8207028
Which hotel was it at anon?

>> No.8207058

>>8207028
In other news, some rooms went up on the hotel reg page recently and were quickly snapped up.

> >

< <

>> No.8207070

>>8207058
awkward.

>> No.8207089

Incidentally, I booked a room at the Holiday Inn this year. How strict are they on room stuffing?

>> No.8207100

>>8206833
You're acting as if every attendee at a con can meet a guest. Not every con needs to focus on guests to do well and if you want big guests you have SDCC, J Expo, Jpop Summit and AX as alternates. Fanime has NEVER invested in its guests or got huge names yet it got bigger every year. Hell people are forgoing their SDCC and AX trips in favor of Fanime so that says something. By your logic in the beginning when other cons were pimping out their guest roster, Fanime should have been ignored and never swelled to the size of getting to where it needs the San Jose Convention Center.

>it's not even a strength they made themself; it's simply the convenience of having claimed a stake earlier than their competition.

I really don't think its rapidly growing numbers is only the result of it taking place of the holiday. The con has to do SOMETHING right in order for the numbers to rise.

>> No.8207112

>>8207100
SDCC and AX have their own problems in the form of overcrowding (and for the former prices for everything and ticket availability) and insufficient facilities. Fanime got bigger because people kept going to it because other people went to it. Friends of friends of friends and then some. What really helped it get where it is is that three day weekend for a lot of its attendees. Even if another local event is held on the same days you can't easily dethrone it because it's the incumbent. I'm sure it's also helped by the fact it's in the bay area (and people here go to EVERYTHING so even on "bad" years you'll have a lot of attendees)

>> No.8207117

>>8207100
AX went to shit and SDCC has pretty much been taken over by Hollywood.

>> No.8207155

>>8207117
I have never been to SDCC and I never plan to. All I hear is shit news about lines and lines on lines. Also, while I am into comics and such, I dont really think I would enjoy it much. Doesn't seem like it has as much as Id like in a convention.

>> No.8207160

>>8207155
Top-tier guests, top-tier exhibit hall, top-tier panels, top-tier lines, top-tier prices.

>> No.8207166

>>8207160
Yeah.. Don't care about the guests they have there, panels seem boring, EH seems awesome though, lines - no thanks, and prices - no thanks.

This is why I like FanimeCon. It has more of what Id be interested in. Hence, 10th year going.

>> No.8207184

>>8207166
I've been to SDCC 11, AX 5, Fanime 4, which is weird when Fanime is the closest of the three. Nothing drew me to it til a bunch of my "real life" friends started going.

>> No.8207187

>>8207184
Oh and at 11 years you can say you knew what it was like when it was the first three with the absence of the latter two.

>> No.8207624

>>8207112
You're ignoring the fact that Fanime has a different focus and vibe that carries throughout the entire con. I feel like its a super sized ALA where the people and social elements drive the con forward. There's huge dance battles in the lobby, the con is 24 hours so there's always something to do. The con center is big and wide so you have space. Gatherings are plentiful and well run and the panels are varied and interesting (unless its the flavor of the year and Fanime stupidly approves 6 of them). You said it yourself that SDCC and AX got their own short comings that Fanime covers. Not everyone goes to a con for the same reasons. If CA already has three high tier cons that bank their experiences on guests and industry then focusing on the actual "con" aspect its a great alternative.

Hell people still shit on Sac Anime yet that con pulls in high profile guests each and every show.

>> No.8208160

>>8207624
Exactly. FanimeCon never really focused on guests. Thats basically why their motto is what it is. Its more of a communal convention, not so much high special guests everyone come here for it, type of convention. Its always been like that. Its a more family friendly, not so overly directed convention which is why I love it. You can do what you want with all the varieties they offer.

>> No.8208217

ITT: Fanime staff invade and try to cover up for why they're lazy shits.

>> No.8208247

>>8208217
If you feel that way then that's cool. There's other cons that meet your needs

>> No.8208925

>>8208247
fuck off, con staff, learn to improve your product.

>> No.8208937

Did anyone else try out for the maid cafe? I did, but I haen't heard back from that yet, and the tryout was in late Feb.

Looks like Artist Alley isn't the only thing they're lagging with.

>> No.8208941

>>8208217
>>8208247

heh denial

but yeah, at this rate, Kraken Con is going to bigger and better than Fanime in less than 5 years. It already is in some ways.

>> No.8208947

>>8207624
>Sac Anime
>guests people care about

SDCC and AX's shortcomings are "they're too popular." lots of conventions would kill for that problem

>> No.8209062

>>8208937
I haven't heard back from Fanimaid yet either.

>> No.8209529

>>8208925
Fanime already improved badge pick ups

>> No.8209535

>>8208947
>Kevin Conroy (voice of Batman)
>Nolan North (Widely popular VA in AAA games)
>Troy Baker (anime VA and popular video game VA)
>Janet Varney (Korra's VA)

Yeah, sure whole lot of nobodies in that guest roster

>> No.8209559

>>8207089
My first two years was at the holiday inn and we room stuffed without any issue at all

>> No.8209561

I always see so much shit on fanime but honestly every year I've gone I always have the most fantastic time. Last year was the best. They had their shit together and it made the experience just that much better

>> No.8209579

>>8209561

Agreed, despite the fact that it gets busier each year, it always feels like a nice laid back con with friends.

Some bigger guests would be nice, but that would just be a plus, happy with all the improvements there have been otherwise.

>> No.8209608

>>8209535
>english VAs
only vic mceggnog really gets people going

>> No.8209610

>>8209579
See that's why I don't really feel the need to get all militant defending Fanime. I know the con takes care of me and my friends and every year it delivers an amazing experience. The new con center is amazing and badge pickups were a blessing. If they do the same stuff for 2015 I'll be a happy camper.

Also
>I always see so much shit on fanime

Every major convention has a lot of shit flung at it here. Only ones I can think of that miss that are PAX, Colossalcon, Dragoncon and Katsucon

>> No.8209615

It's more like Fanime could be more than it is and it's a pretty easy fix for a convention of it's size. Should have been natural progression, and in fact it's like regression since they have had better guests in the past.

>> No.8210074

Couple rooms at the SJ Airport opened up!

>> No.8210495

>>8209615
It's the recession and the fact that they had major disrupts from the con center construction. The head of the masq stepping down a few years ago turned disastrous though. I feel mixed about AA because they're trying to be fair with judging entries rather than first come first serve or lottery, but holy shit its taking them even longer. I actually miss their first come first serve method.

>> No.8210513

>>8210495
I hope they do something good now that the construction is done. Registration line speed was a big improvement. Now is the time to really step it up.

>> No.8212625

>>8203263
I stopped going to this con because of its clueless staffers

>> No.8212936

>>8212625
That's every con.

>> No.8212982

>>8212936
This. Even if a con is considered reasonably better than others it's only a matter of time before it gets restaffed or overcrowded etc.

>> No.8213136

>"Oh hey guys we'll be sending out acceptance/wait list emails soon just gotta make sure the system works!!!"
>4 days later

come the fuck ON

>> No.8213491

>>8213136
Obviously, the system doesn't work.

>> No.8213610

>>8212982
Good thing the construction is done because this con was roomy as fuck last year!

>> No.8213710

>>8212982
fanime won't be in danger of overcrowding for at least a decade because there's nothing to trigger a growth spurt. more in danger of bad staffing (already has) because stupid management in control just drive people away. if it happens in real life when people are actually getting paid, why wouldn't it happen in a convention where most staff aren't getting paid?

>> No.8213714

>>8213710
Most conventions have volunteers. They don't get paid. They get an exempt badge unless working for a stall, but then that stall pays them personally from sales. Same thing for maid cafes.

Most conventions are able to pay for the venue and what rooms they can rent and equipment each year. Not really so much, much else.

>> No.8213715

>>8213714
that's part of my point. people leave shitty jobs when they're getting paid. what's stopping them from leaving when a job they aren't getting paid starts shoveling shit on them? there are a lot of ex-AX and Fanime staffers who left when shit got retarded.

>> No.8214181

>>8213710
Fanime's biggest growth spurts occurred when AX seriously went down the drain and it became the CA summer con for a lot of people. AX is slightly improving so the numbers won't jump as high unless either A: all the other cons fuck up at once (which did happen a few years ago) or B: Fanime announces big name guests

I don't see either happening anytime soon.

>> No.8214365

>>8213715
If people are dumb as fuck enough to leave their normal paying job to work at a convention, then they deserve to not have a job.

Conventions, while two or three people REALLY profit from it, are NOT main sources of income for a lot of people who actually work it. This excludes AA and DH people and venders. They don't actually RUN the convention.

>> No.8214595

>>8214365
the two are unrelated. let's try a different way of explaining things because sentences aren't working. i have no idea how you equated my posts with "lots of staff at fanime get paid"

getting paid but job is shit = people leave
not getting paid, job is shit = even less stopping them from leaving compared to someone who is working a paid job elsewhere

>> No.8216200

Just got my Fanimaid acceptance in my email. Just wondering, anyone know if they actually select people or do they just pick everyone?

>> No.8216207

>>8216200
I got my acceptance email, too.
I have heard of people not getting in, but as they seem to need all the help they can get, I think you have to absolutely fail your interview to not get in.

>> No.8216552

>>8216200
>>8216207

3rd meido reporting in. Excited to start practicing some dances, is anyone else here planning on performing for the live?

>> No.8216554

>>8216552
I really want to do something from Love Live, but I have no group to dance with. Maybe I should hop onto one of the threads on the forum (although it seems kinda dead there).

>> No.8216566

>>8216554

They send out access to a new fanimaid only forum each year (I haven't received anything yet so my guess is it isn't up yet). Finding people to do dances with is pretty easy if there's an interest, and love live is popular amongst pretty much everyone. I'll do love live stuff with you anon!

Only rule is it's something that hasn't been performed yet, just avoid tons of repeat performances.

>> No.8217006

>>8216566
First meido anon here.

I want to perform but I'm a lot more confident in my singing than my dance skills :( If the dance isn't too hard, I'll dance with you guys too!

>> No.8218436

I just want to get my panel's approval already.

>> No.8219367

>>8218436
I got one panel approved, still waiting to hear back about another one. At least we should hear something soon.

>> No.8219374

Somebody cancel their block hotel reservation so I don't have to be stuck at Doubletree

>> No.8219842

>>8203263
I'm super stressed trying to get a spot in a room this year. Is it just me, or is the housing situation way more dire than in previous years?

>> No.8219852

>>8219842
think of comic con but only for hotels

>> No.8219874

>>8219842
If I recall they didn't even have any openings for Thursday at the Marriott. I think someone fucked up when reserving the blocks or something...

>> No.8219882

>>8219842
Housing situation hasn't changed in years. Con attendance, on the other hand, has skyrocketed. And it's only going to get worse.

>> No.8219900

My group always stays at the Fairmont and we never have any trouble getting and keeping our room.

>> No.8219926

>>8218436
>>8219367

I'm still waiting on panel approval too, but I won't be too broken up if I don't get in. What're you guys doing?

>> No.8219945
File: 40 KB, 400x388, 1412657329011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8203263
>got transferred to marriott
Feels so good.

>> No.8219983

>>8219900

Same, all this talk of rooms randomly being canceled sounds sketchy. No one has even stated which hotel this is at either.

>> No.8219998

>>8205375
I'd enjoy an 18+ convention (that isn't focused on porn).

>> No.8219999
File: 1.11 MB, 1024x768, FotorCreated.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8205501
Fanime first timer, here. Pocacho and Takarada are kinda joke cosplays but I'm working super hard on everything else so I hope I can have some nice, new costumes for this con! Any tips about Fanime? Am I going to die in a wool coat as Irisviel?

>> No.8220013

>>8219999
The mornings are pretty chilly. Once it gets around noon though, expect it to be hot outside. Inside the convention center is usually kept at a proper 68 degrees F. All the people make it hotter, so the temperature needs to be lower.

>> No.8220015

>>8219999
Flip a coin. You've got as good of a chance figuring out what the weather will be that way as anyone else does.

>> No.8220023

>>8204563
>SDCC
you mean the con literally no one can go to because the swarm of normalfags and scalpers who buy up all the tickets

>> No.8220024
File: 1.91 MB, 1985x812, blah blah blah.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So far my lineup looks like this [not including the possible ballgown Black Cat I would put on for the Black and White Ball]

>> No.8220033

>>8220023
when your event sells out year after year one hundred thousand strong in hours I'd say it's doing good no matter the circumstances.

>> No.8220048
File: 41 KB, 533x400, rising-sun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8219999
1. San Jose food places are delicious. Save plenty of money for food. Personally, I'm a fan of Hoagie Steak Out and Pizza My Heart, but there's other good places as well. Too bad that gyro place is gone, though.
2. There's a Wal-Mart within driving distance if you need snacks/water/emergency repair stuff. Booze selection is very lacking, though.
3. Pay the protesters no mind. Seriously, just ignore them. It's for the good of everybody.

>> No.8220058

>>8219999
>I going to die in a wool coat as Irisviel?
I was dying at fucking Katsucon in Virginia in Winter. If most of the panels are still in the Fairmont there will be plenty of walking in the Memorial Day sun. Make sure you have her default outfit underneath in case you can't stand it.

>> No.8220074

>>8220058
Pretending like it hasn't been overcast and rainy 2 of the last 3 fanimes.

>> No.8220083

>>8220074
I definitely don't remember rain last year

>> No.8220084

>>8220074
Are you sure you're thinking of the right con?

>> No.8220125

>>8220074
>rain
>CA
>end of may
yeah, not happening.

>> No.8220142

>>8220125
>rain
>CA

FTFY

>> No.8220564

>>8220048
There is also a Whole Foods now open next to the SAP Center, much better selection of alky!

>> No.8220699 [DELETED] 

Also first time Fanimer and wanna know if anyone or >>8220048 would know where to get a variety of booze?

>> No.8220931

>>8220125
>>8220142
It rained at Fanime 2011 and 2012

>> No.8220953

>>8220931
And then we weren't in a drought.

>> No.8220989

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THE DAMN SWAP IS OPENING!?

>> No.8220993

>>8220074
I know it sprinkled around 4am NEAR San Jose, but not actual rain at all.

>> No.8222102

AA letters have gone out!

>> No.8222455
File: 622 KB, 1920x1920, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

got my fanime lineup all ready! I honestly don't even know if I'll bring Sonico yet since all my other cosplays are new ones. Mostly excited to finally cosplay rune factory and Wadanohara *0*

>> No.8222749

>>8222102
I know 3 people who got in. Went and scoured the sites of a bunch of people who did get in, not at all impressed. Dunno what their judging criteria was, but it definitely doesn't seem to be skill-based and completely arbitrary at best.

I know I sound extremely salty, but I wouldn't even be this way if even half of my friends were going because I'd still get to hang out with them. Also considering the applications that did get in vs. the people that didn't and it's just... really disappointing.

Count on a very weeby AA unless a bunch of people miraculously get picked for lottery for wave 2

/rant

>> No.8222758

>>8222749
i really want to know what their criteria was, and why i didn't fit into it.
i sent them an email but i'm not holding my breath for any kind of reply.

>> No.8222763

>>8213491
Sounds like fanime needs better IT, but AA gets the blame.

>> No.8222766

>>8222758
I'm not gonna lie, I'm like 90% sure it was completely random because if you were actually jurying for quality, there's no way a bunch of people would've gotten rejected. Some pretty big fan favorite artists got rejected, lord knows why.

I'm super defensive right now but most of my AA friends are pretty fucking good across a variety of skills and styles so I'm fuckmad as hell with the results.

>> No.8222767

>>8222766
no one gives a shit.

>> No.8222769

>>8222767
i give a shit

>> No.8222793

>>8222769
i care....AA is a big part of why i even still go to fanime.

>> No.8222795

>>8222769
>>8222793
i meant that no one gives a shit about how he feels about shit.

>> No.8222962
File: 97 KB, 472x467, 2015_04_02_01.21.28.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8222766
uuggh this rustles my jimmies.
>> let's pick people who just do a shitton of fanart
>> vs
>> let's pick people who actually have some kickass pieces of a bunch of different things

I'm salty and this makes me concerned for ever getting into an AA in my life

>> No.8223017

>>8222749
I might just be tech illiterate but I'm not seeing anything on the main website.... is there a link to the list of accepted artists or is it only viewable to those who applied? I'm kind of curious to see how bad it is, haha.

>> No.8223032

>>8223017
They don't have it up yet. I've just been looking through the fanime AA facebook page and stalking people's pages from there. My friend's also been giving me some links to artists she knows got in. They might release a list later, I dunno.

>> No.8223129

>>8222749
man at this point I'm convinced they just fell so far behind they RNG'd their AA because ????? Even people who Did Promo Art for Fanime got rejected but some rando who does pencil on printer paper was accepted and I don't understand

>> No.8223141

>>8223129
Its a lottery. Plain and simple. They aren't going to weed out bad people from good people who are trying to be good artists and get their name out there. Give people who don't make much as is a chance to sell their stuff, so that they can afford more than paper and pencil.

Fanime has always been pretty good about letting no name artists get a chance. Im not going to hate them for that at all. You can still get a lot of more famous artists stuff online. No name people don't have that chance because while good, they may not have the equipment to better their quality.

I love Fanime because of this.

>> No.8223146

>>8223141
Or money. Not everyone is loaded.

>> No.8223156

>>8222102
Dang. I got mine and I didn't get in and it'll be the first time in 5 years I won't be in the AA.

A lot of my artist friends also didn't get in so I'm curious how exactly this selection process goes? Especially since it took them forever when they opened up applications in December.

>> No.8223185

>>8222766
I wonder what the final total was for number of applicants. My acct number was close to 1000 by the time I got my app in and I had done it before the initial 31st deadline.

To add to the statistics, I got in, got in last year too, and I do a mix of crafts and prints. No idea what the base criteria is because it gets weird as shit when people like reapersun don't get in.

At least two people I tabled next to last year have not gotten in this year while another did - in terms of technical skill for prints I'd argue they all have better finishes than I do. I can keep up in terms of drawing/sketching but I'm a lousy painter, so no idea what the heck is happening.

>> No.8223291

>>8223185
>reapersun
how the fuck she didn't get in i have no idea. plus she doesn't sell online so now i have no way to buy anythign from her this year (not going to AX).

>> No.8223378

Beyond interested to know a list of who got in

>> No.8223612

From the looks of it having lots of fanart is what gets you in...that's....incredibly lame.

>> No.8223796

>>8223612
it seemed like a lot of the people getting rejected were crafters....i prefer crafts to prints most of the time. very disappointing. i may not be visiting the AA this year if it's all weeby prints.

>> No.8223806

Just curious, which AA seagulls got accepted? Or do I not know any of you (yet)?

>> No.8223858

>>8223796
That sucks. I would much rather buy crafts.

>> No.8223876

>>8223796
This. I pretty much never buy prints because I'm a fucking grownup and don't want to fill my apartment with sparkle lens flare shit. I'd much rather have a nice woodburned piece or ceramics. Bring back first come first serve for the love of god

>> No.8223934

>>8222455
>Wadanohara
Let me hug you, anon.

>> No.8223956

Since mostly ppl in this thread are probably Bayfags I figured I'd ask. I'm finally planning on going to SF Jtown's Cherry Blossom festival and want to wear a yukata but don't know if this is common for the event or just a oh wow look at that fucking gaijin thing.

>> No.8223959

>>8223956
Better a yukata if you can wear it properly than all the shitty cosplayers.

>> No.8223984

>>8223806
The only seagull I know who got accepted is Digit.

A bunch of accepted people are posting their portfolios in one of the Fanime AA fb group threads if you're interested in seeing some of the people who got in.

>> No.8223992

>>8223956
you see a few but most people just go plainclothes
I don't think anyone is going to scoff at you, at least not to your face. Everyone here has seen some shit, in particular the cosplay parade.

>> No.8224001

>>8223956
It is. Not just cosplayers, but a lot of genuine Japanese wear them. The yukata shops also hold events where you try them on and such. I went to the last one and loved it.

>> No.8224037

>>8224001
Any shops you recommend? I have one from way back when but I'm not happy with the print. Sakura Sakura seems overpriced but Narumi antiques seems alright. The prints at Neat Asian Things and Shige Antiques seem generic as fuck.

>> No.8224046

>>8223984
Pixel also got in. Outside of cgl I know one other person that got in out of 10.

I'm really confused how artist like reapersun didn't get in. This feels like it was lotto pick.

>> No.8224057

>>8224046
That's what my roomie was theorizing (she got in). The only pattern I've noticed is that most of the people I know who got in have done AA less than the people who didn't get in (most of my friends who've been doing it for 7+ years didn't get in, my friends who have been doing it for 3-5, with the exception of 1, got in) but even that is a pretty random factor that's probably more coincidence than actual correlation.

I'm feeling optimistic that the people who do really want to go will be able to get a table because it seems like a lot of the artists in my friends' networks are dropping out because they're out of state and it's too close to the con to make preparations. lol gg fanime aa why are you such a clusterfuck.

>> No.8224120

One day... one day, Fanime will get everything right. Hotel reg will be up on time, people will be able to get a room without watching the server crash, AA will have a good number of decent artists, everyone will get their notices early, awesome guests people actually want to see will be booked, the schedule will actually be printed on time... everything will be perfect.

That day, my friends... that day will be the day that the San Andreas fault decides to start shit with California and flatten San Jose.

>> No.8224123

>>8224120
SAN ANDREAS PLS NO

>> No.8224571

>>8224057
eh, i don't know if that's it.
i wasn't accepted and i've only got one AA under my belt

>> No.8224611

I think the biggest problem with AA is they left that application window open way too long and even gave it an extension. Every AA artist in the country could have submitted in that time.

>> No.8225214

>>8223796
Aw damnit, me too.
After traversing So-Cal AAs for years, the products get kind of stale after awhile. So, when I finally get to No-Cal, I get excited again to see unique stuff and crafts are usually more interesting to me.

>> No.8225604

>>8223796
Have you seen the work of the crafters that were rejected? All the ones that posted on Facebook were mediocre at best. Makes shit at Renegade Craft Fair seem goddamn highbrow.

>> No.8225636
File: 190 KB, 570x1011, il_570xN.445493602_e0rt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8225604
This is generally what my stuff is and I got rejected. I actually wasn't planning on doing it this year because it's right after my finals week but I applied for the hell of it. I agree with >>8224611. Because there was such a long time to enter with a "no pressure guys" vibe I think a lot of other people submitted because why not.

>> No.8226087

>>8225636

I prefer crafts at this point too. There is only so much of FREE! SnK Yowamushi whateverthefuckelseispopular art I want to see.
I'd rather see keys, earrings, fandom soap, bedding, pillows, decora, storage, ect.

I like to display my fandoms in my everyday life so it would be nice to have things rather than pictures.

>> No.8226133

>>8225636
S-shop link please?

>> No.8226591

>>8226133
No prob.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LaserBlastLaserCraft?

>> No.8227090

>>8225604
haven't had a chance to look, but really hoping the girl with the fuckawesome kanzashi from last year made it in this year.

>> No.8227093

>>8225636
cute AF anon.

>> No.8227123 [DELETED] 

>>8223984
I got in :c

>> No.8227147

>>8223185
My app number was like 1,300, and I applied an hour before the extended deadline (was in the process of moving out when the applications were open, the day I got my computer up and running and found out that the apps were open was literally a couple hours before the extended deadline), I should have been one of if not the last applicant. It was a big pool.

>>8223806
I'll be there.

>> No.8227148

>>8227147
Fuck yeah, Pixel. Seems like an okay number of AA seagulls got in. Looking forward to it.

>> No.8227692

>>8227147
I applied as soon as it when live and I was #800 and something.

>> No.8231273

Can anybody who recently got a hotel through the waitlist tell me when they got waitlisted? I was kinda antsy on whether or not I should get a hotel, so I got waitlisted on November 17th

>> No.8232349

>>8231273
KEEP CHECKING THE FANIME SITE FOR HOTELS! A lot of them KEEP OPENING UP! From cancellations, but the Facebook page will NOT announce it. Check every chance you get!

>> No.8232364

>>8232349
Checking almost every other day, everything still says unavailable. And no other updates from Fanime. Not a surprise, just saying.

>> No.8232369

>>8232364
I checked just 2 weeks ago when this thread went up and hotel right by the airport has three rooms available. Guess they got snatched.

>>8207058

>> No.8232385

>>8232364
every other day is not good enough
every other hour, maybe

in it to win it and all that

>> No.8232404

>>8232385
I already have a room. I just want a hotel closer to the con because fuck the shuttle. They don't even have info up on how it's going to run yet.

>> No.8235498

>>8232404
Of course they wouldn't. The shuttle company doesn't have a reason to inform FanimeCon about the schedule. Its not close enough yet.

>> No.8235529

>>8232404
>Fanime
>has no guests announced
>you want shuttle info

>> No.8235537
File: 1.62 MB, 503x283, laugh chang.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8235529

>> No.8236727

>6 weeks to con
>literally nothing announced
>masq looks like a clusterfuck again
>no musicfest guests yet
shit....at this rate i may be ghosting. got a hotel room, so at least there's that.

>> No.8236743

>>8235529
>>8236727

I just checked the page recently. They have some Guests of Honor but they're literally whos

>> No.8236939

>a mid level animator
>a cosplay guest
>chalk artist

Fanime, you missed April Fools by a week, y'know?

>> No.8237043

>>8236939

Interested in seeing the animator guy for his gunda, work, not into cosplay guests ever, and I don't even know who the hell these chalk artists are.

I just want some good Japanese musical guests and a few high profile seiyuu. I love Fanime, but I think I might budget for better cons next year that have more big guests. Otakon and Sakuracon come to mind, AX is my home con and it usually delivers (but I hate the way it's organized and run).

>> No.8237084

>>8203263
Just got my Dealer's booth for ALA and a hotel room. Holy fucking shit, miracles.

>> No.8237121

>>8237043
Sakuracon is basically Fanime but much better. You don't even have to deal with clusterfuck hotel situation because you can get a hotel a month before on a whim, no problem. It doesn't have the food situation of Fanime (not nearly as many nearby restaurants and eateries) but that's not really something Fanime controls to begin with. There's also no 24 hour content. Besides that, no competition.

>> No.8237164

>>8237121

Yeah, I did Sakuracon once awhile back and it was nice. It's a tough weekend with me on a quarter system now for school, but I'll be finished before the next one, so I guess I should start planning now. My folks live in Seattle, and I love the downtown area it takes place in.

>> No.8237182
File: 17 KB, 350x277, 1334628464173.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really wanna hate Fanime, but I just can't.

CONS: They treat their AA like shit (as mentioned previously), they can't get any fucking guests in time, their masquerade is a trainwreck, and the hotel system is beyond bullshit
PROS: but they actually got the lines cut, practically every friend cosplayer I know goes so there's always someone around the corner, the hallways aren't AX tier crowded, and the weather always has been really nice with a long extended weekend for the whole con.
I always come back having had a good time. I suppose it's a con you really have to make the fun for yourself rather then plan on entertainment.

>> No.8237248

>>8237182
> I suppose it's a con you really have to make the fun for yourself rather then plan on entertainment.

I never understood how this can't be applied to every con. No matter what goes on, its up to each individual to plan their experience and really make the con shine for them as its FAR from a passive experience. Heck if you do meet the guest or see their panel, then what? You still have the rest of the con and the night life to deal with.

>> No.8237297

>>8237182
that first pro shouldn't even be a pro
it should be a standard
I give fanime points for being one of the few conventions with an actual music venue easily reachable and not a big hall with chairs

>> No.8237319

>>8237248
FUCKING. THIS!

It BAFFLES me how people pass off cons as bad because they themselves had a shit time by doing nothing. Cons facilitate good, fun, and remember-able experiences. If you can't make use of it, then don't go lol.

>> No.8237333

>>8237297
All convention lines are pretty bad. Fanime, however, has fixed theirs. 100s of conventions need to fix theirs too now.

>> No.8237340

>>8237319
a congoer should be given things to go to fanime for and not just going for the sake of fanime. guests are the "hook" so to speak

>> No.8237359

>>8237340
Not true at all. Especially for Fanime. We already went over that though. Please scroll up.

>> No.8237375

The reg is still $55-75. Are you guys saying that Fanime shouldn't give us a good reason to pay for a glorified AA and Dealer's Room pass? Cause all I'm hearing is that if you don't have to pay to have a good con.

>> No.8237388

>>8237375
That's why Fanime doesn't try to stop ghosting. $55 is the panel/dealers hall/concert fee.

>> No.8237735

>>8237388
Being a staff member and knowing that your statement is pure bs. So many fake badges confiscated last year

>> No.8237744

>>8237735
I mean all the people not buying a badge since most of the con isn't badge checked

>> No.8238071
File: 300 KB, 999x799, super_smash_bros_by_chalktwins-d8a6p7j.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have to say, I looked at the chalk people's work and hooooly shit! Its so cool! Ive always liked street art though, so maybe Im just excited to see what they make!

>> No.8238285

>>8238071

the anatomy on the wii fit trainer though, what the fuck

>> No.8238325

>>8238071
Mario and Samus look great. Everything else is kinda close or off.

>> No.8238392

>>8238071
i think they made some sort of sailor moon chalk mural at AX last summer, that was auctioned off at the end of the weekend. I dont remember being too impressed with how Jupiter came out though

>> No.8238399

Chalk art is hard though. I give them credit. I like them a lot and I am kind of worried as to where they are going to work though.. If it is in the dropdown, they need to say so already. That way cosplay gathering groups who plan to be there can change locations ahead of time.

>> No.8238421

>>8238392
They did a Fate / Zero mural at AX the year before, too. I think that one was much better than the Sailor Moon one.

>> No.8238629

Ok may I ask why a Rival Con of Fanime like Animazement got the Seiyuu's of Ranma 1/2 which are Noriko Hidaka (Akane) and Kikuko Inoue (Kasumi) and Fanime Guest Relations Staff are not trying hard enough?

Check this link because as an Ex longtime Attendee that attended Fanime since 1998 and Quit after Linecon 2013 is Crying because Fanime GR Staff cannot do their Job and use some of their Budget to get some high profile Seiyuu http://www.animazement.com/guests/#Japanese

>> No.8238994

>>8238629
Are you Chris-chan? You type just like him.

>> No.8239008

>>8237375
Fanime has really good panels and other events such as the Black and White Ball plus the game room is open 24 hours and is chock full of entertainment.

>> No.8239154

>>8237297
>>8237333
Agreed on how amazing Fanime's reg line was. It's a real shame that Fanime's line beat out so many other cons of similar sizes that ran for profit and had way more resources at their disposal.

>>8237340
Stuff you can do at Fanime that requires a badge.

- Attend dances such as the rave or the black and white ball
- Music concerts in an actual music hall
- While a game room is something standard at any con Fanime's is extremely huge, well lit, stocked with arcade, tabletop and arcade games, is open 24 hours and WELL VENTILATED. Side note you can get some serious poker games going on and I think the con even runs poker and mahjong tournaments
- High profile panels such as Banzai Arcade, Fanime Comedy Club, Gong Show, Fanime Dojo and more traditional presentations are shown
- Late night Karaoke antics and karaoke contests

True, the major events like cosplay gatherings, room parties, general hall antics and stage zero are all badge free.

I understand people not liking fanime for how it does things and its lack of guests. I'm cool with people not liking a con. However what I do not understand when people go "FUCK THIS CON" but then spend them money to drive their asses over there, pay for a room and go as far as to borrow badges to enjoy the dealers hall, AA and other events.

Don't people realize that by going to the con and contributing to the physical number count that you're still helping them out? The main message being conveyed her is that the con is worthwhile to attend but you're too cheap to shell out the dough for the badge as opposed to a quality control issue. I've harped on people ghosting cons for being cheap before but at least the cheap asses are honest.

TL:DR If you don't like the way Fanime is going then make a commitment to not show up. Ghosting the con because of this does not show you have the moral high ground

>> No.8239321

A lot of the people who run it pay out of pocket for a lot of the entertainment that gets provided at FanimeCon. If you are going to complain about how this or that isn't how you like it, feel free to take money from your pocket and fork up a couple hundred.

>> No.8239383

>>8239154
Tbh I only go to fanime because I'm local and the only expenditure is gas and my local friends go

Gong show is pretty boss not gonna lie. Concerts have been meh last couple of years

>> No.8239388

>>8239321
Where does all the badge money go? If your convention is barely able to sustain itself to the point you have no budget and require paying out of pocket even after decades of existence then something is going horribly wrong...

>> No.8239393

>>8239388
That does go to next year's con. Im not saying ALL of it is out of pocket, but the runners do pay out of pocket expenses. Did you even read? Another year or two of increased badges and they may not have to do this, but until then things like the Black and White Ball will be held in the same area because they can't afford to rent a larger room.

>> No.8239394

>>8237744
This I can also say for the most part is also incorrect. Albeit half assed like come on even the gaming hall is badge checked. All I am saying is try not to give people some bad advice like " you guys we should totes ghost Fanime". Then if you end up getting caught being pretty much publicly shamed. Seeing the way certain staff members handled things I just felt bad for the people.

>> No.8239398

>>8239393
They had some helpers the other year put on a circus thing for opening ceremonies. I believe they volunteered because they were working it, so that as money saved and it was pretty cool too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMeooOxiXIE

>> No.8239409

>>8239394
Seriously. You can enter the building and participate in stuff like stage zero and go to video rooms and eat the food, but you can't enter any of the actual good rooms like AA, DH, BWB, GR... Things like that.

I hate ghosters. They are fucking cancer to conventions.

>> No.8239413

>>8239154
Thankyou for not being lazy and posting this <3

>> No.8239420

>>8239409
I wouldn't go so far as to say cancer worthy but the entitlement attitude is real.
They don't actually tend to see themselves as thieves either which kind of bothers me. :/

>> No.8239438

>>8239420
>>8239413

Ive been going to FanimeCon since 2007 and to hear people want to ghost is really infuriates me. This convention is seriously paid from the previous year and out of pockets from the hosters. To say you want to ghost is straight up wrong because already its doing its been to sustain the convention as is, with growing numbers thankfully, while trying to cater to whining fucking brats about how this isn't here or that isn't here or why don't we have a bigger this?

The hosts do the BEST they can and the past two years have been the most difficult because of the renovations that were happening. You should be grateful that the line is now shorter because of the new pickup area, and yet people still bitch and moan.

Ghosters are never happy and I wish they would man all entrances to the convention itself in order to make sure those people are not allowed in, in fact, banned.

>> No.8239457

>>8239420
Or they see themselves as still helping the con

>Hey I still bought food, paid for a room and bought stuff in the AA and dealers hall so in a way I did help the con!

>> No.8239462

>>8239438
I know that cons like SDCC and AX try to do so by requiring badges just to enter the con but I don't think fanime has enough resources to do so.

You're going to get ghosters and freeloaders in anyway. Only thing you can do is make sure that the paid events are really awesome so you reward badge holders instead of making security tighter and causing a downer on everyone.

Exception to this would be hotels. I'd like it that Fanime requires a badge in order to reserve rooms. However in order for that to work they need to confirm press, panelists, AA and announce guests BEFORE putting the rooms live to make things fair. That would curb the huge rush a bit

>> No.8239505

>>8239438
2007 was also my first year ever. I am also quite dissapointed with ghosters mainly because they will complain about how awful whatever con they are ghosting is and yet it becomes similar to Destiny they can't not play the game until their complaints get fixed/go to the con etc. Now mind you they won't man all entrances but certain people have been banned. :/
I can however say that certain things for this con have a long way to go. Hotel registration is garbage right now for 1.(Not all staff members want to room with just staff members some have spouses who do not staff). The crash should not have happened more than once but it did so here I among others waiting to be moved to a closer hotel. The phone line is also broken most of the time.
So registration is good for your average person hotel not so much. So I can't say we're 100% yet but we're getting things right bit by bit.

>> No.8239516

>>8239462
That was another thing that bothered me about hotel registration I think the hotels shouldn't have gone up until everything else was announced. Like AA and guests. If that means later and cutting it close whatever but everything else would be figured out. No one would have to worry about shit.

>> No.8239631

>>8238629

I saw this and sunk. Noriko Hidaka and Kikuko Inoue are legit seiyuu, all of my jelly.

I'm speaking as someone who buys a badge, and while I love the organization of the con and the atmosphere (plus the area of San Jose it takes place in is pretty nice) I really really wish some bigger guests would show up. I'm a huge weeb, so I really love meeting staff from big animation companies in Japan. Same with seiyuu and Japanese musical guests, people you really wouldn't have the chance to see on a regular convention schedule. Guests for me personally, are generally a big reason I like to attend conventions, and Fanime has had some great ones in the past, but I've noticed a drop off in recent years.

It would just be nice to have more to look forward to is all, I never have a bad fanime, I just wish the guests were a bit more interesting. With this being my 6th year, I might invest in a different con with more offerings next year.

tl;dr I just want some stronger guests, I don't ghost and generally enjoy Fanime otherwise.

>> No.8239681

Let's not forget if you have been knowing the behind the scenes drama of how the last Chair if Fanime Wolfgang Coe made Fanime go down the drain. I know that even if Fanimecon got the old great Chair Will Warriner back for this upcoming 2015 Fanime, the Anime resource group is still cock blocking him to clean up the mess Wolfgang ruined. And let's not start with ConWreck Alchemy as well. (Clockwork Alchemy ) The useless side convention cohabiting Fanime since 2012 during the control of Wolfgang.

>> No.8239708

>>8239420
>They don't actually tend to see themselves as thieves either which kind of bothers me. :/
What are you considering ghosters because Fanime has Stage Zero and other things going on that encourage people to con in to just walk around and enjoy the floor. Are curious normalfags and parents who had to come and didn't want to buy a ticket thieves now?

>> No.8239742

>>8239708
The con hallway and stage zero create a very inviting atmosphere and when all things play outright those curious wanderers go straight into the badge line to see more of the action.

Yeah I don't think those people are thieves so a blanket statement like that was not in order.

>> No.8239836

>>8239742
There's different tiers of ghosters

>People who wandered into the convention off the streets and curious individuals
Pretty ok, you gotta start somewhere

>Con goers who ghost because they are too cheap to buy a badge
If they're broke and need something to do for an afternoon then its cool to come down. If these same people bought hotel rooms, traveled far and made new costumes then they're just cheap.
>People who don't buy a badge as they do not want to support the con as a means of making a moral high ground statement but still show up
In all honesty its hard to tell between the other ghosters but if they go out and openly broadcast they are ghosting due to this reason then they look like asshats. If you don't want to support the con then don't show up.
>Badge forgers
The worst.

>> No.8240215
File: 463 KB, 1920x1080, 1427947080525.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8239708
I am a staff member who will encourage randoms to see stage zero and to see the environment and if they enjoy this they usually ask if there is more and then purchase a badge if they want to. Had quite a few last year thanks for asking. Lots of families that tend to discover it for the first time this way. It is not ghosting and you know damn well what I meant by theives. The thieves are the people who try to go to events like the dance with fake badges. Basically trying to say I am too good for payment everybody else should pay but not me. Cause fuck the convention... How is that right ? It isn't and yeah Fanime has it's issues as I have stated but that doesn't make it okay to ghost. So sorry again for not being clearer.

>> No.8240216
File: 169 KB, 260x260, 1426016561014.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Special guests announced
>Guy who barely did enough to not get spots on hummingbird or MAL
>"Cosplayer" no one knows
>Chalk Zone

Come on Fannie mae, try harder, I'm being serious

>> No.8240219

>>8239836
This person is so much more coherent than I lol

>> No.8240542

>>8239409
If you're there only for cosplay then you won't need a badge. Photographers/cosplayers obviously. I think the only things I went in badge area were the game room because my friends were there and musicfest

>> No.8240659

I wish Fanime would just bring old guests then like last year's Brain Base people. That was cool.

>> No.8240679

>>8239462
AX does not require badges to enter the convention center since you have to pickup inside of it.

>> No.8240781
File: 655 KB, 724x1023, 1425593695742.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8240679
Thankyou for also saying that. I also can say that the security is only a minor inconvenience for AX (very half assed)

>> No.8240787

>>8240781
You can drive trucks through it which is fine by me. That stupid bag check is retarded security theater bullshit and needs to go.

>> No.8240797

>>8240787
Afair, bag check is only at the south hall entrance. Which I don't understand. Did they change that?

>> No.8240804

>>8240797
It's at west hall too. or whatever direction the other hall is named. Hell, sometimes there were people, sometimes there weren't. Nevermind the beforementioned holes that always exist.

>> No.8240815

>>8240804
Yeah, that one. I can never remember which is which.

Either way, it's common for bag check to be required by the convention center for large events. AX probably doesn't want to do it, which is why it's theater.

>> No.8240836

>>8240815
they only had bag check after the boston marathon. it's straight retarded. if people want to bomb the place they'll bomb the place. you don't see san diego comic con getting bombed and that thing has no bag checks. scalp a ticket and you're in to do damage.

>> No.8241602

>>8240679
South hall does not require a badge but in order to go to dealers hall and other places in the con they did have staff guarding the chokepoints

>> No.8241623

>>8240836
I was going to say the fact of the matter is the half assed bag checks make it so that if someone did want to blow AX up they could easily and I can't tell you how many times I went in with usakumiya and they didn't even know it was a bag lol

>> No.8243713

>>8241623
all you'd need is a big ass cosplay or some flowing clothing
even disneyland has paper security
and it's not like the mass transit systems around the country aren't targets
bomb a train, bomb the subway, bomb a bus, bomb all at the same time. even airports are easy targets if you are fine with attacking things on the ground.

it's all just security theater

>> No.8243716

>>8241602
south lobby needs no badge, west lobby needs no badge, the concourse bottom level needs no badge. going upstairs anywhere needs a badge.

>> No.8244215

Does anyone know the exact wording on the policy about military cosplays? I see people in BDUs all the time, but I've also heard about an overzealous staffer that tried to tell an Army Ranger that he couldn't wear his dress uniform in the con center. I want to break out my Stargate flight suit for an easy walking-around costume, but I don't want to get in a fight with some bastard who thinks I look too official or something.

>> No.8244663
File: 56 KB, 582x611, plans.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8205501
These are my main four, I may bring Naoki from Dance Dance Revolution possibly Double from Skull Girls as well.

>> No.8244884

>>8244663
...Naoki like from 5th mix? That would be awesome.

>> No.8245565

>>8244884
The same. Its not my best costume, but its a lot of fun to wear.

>> No.8245921

>>8244215
No costumes may be realistic depictions of American Law Enforcement or current American Military uniforms, or have the words POLICE, POLICIA, SWAT, FBI, DEA, CIA or any other official Government Agency names or initials on them.

>> No.8247117

>>8239388
SJCC rental, hotel area rental, other hall rental
equipment rental
guests
guest + staff hotel rooms
programs, printing, badges
po-po/security

As ex-staff who's soured on Fanime: there's a lot of things to bitch about, but where the money goes ain't one of them. Nobody's pockets are getting lined.

>> No.8247207

>>8247117
I almost wish someone was embezzling money because at least that'd be a good excuse for certain areas to be lacking.

>> No.8247240 [DELETED] 

I still have two spots in a room at the Four Points, if anyone was too late on the hotels.

>> No.8247265

I have two spots in an un-crowded room at the Four Points (the one near the convention center, not the airport), if anyone didn't get a hotel in time.

>> No.8247463

>>8245921

Okay, cool. So as long as I take my nametape off around staffers I should be cool, since it's the only thing on the costume that's milspec besides the flight suit itself? Seems easy enough.

>> No.8247503

>>8247265
Is there gonna be a cgl meet up for Fanime?

>> No.8247516

Has anyone here been to Fanime's speed dating event? Is it worth it?

>> No.8247530

>>8247503
Yes ofc. Pretty much everyone goes to Fanime.

>>8247516
I've heard it described as 200 thirsty weebs and a handful of girls, most of whom are there to put on a show. I'd go just to have fun, but am gay.

>> No.8247559

>>8247530
Note to self: do not unclench sphincter around Beanie-kun.

tbh you could still go and have fun
give some of those guys a taste of being on the receiving end of thirst

>> No.8247572

>>8247559
That's right, who are they to define my gender? I'm a strong, independent afro-mongolian woman, and I won't have my gender identity discriminated against. I deserve a trigger-free environment.

p.s. you can relax, I'm not into butt stuff.

>> No.8247585

>>8247503
No one wants to meet you and put up with your awkward advances you little cunt-rag

>> No.8247588

>>8247530
>but am gay.
In the forums it says that they do stuff for non-straights, too.
I think you should give it a shot. I'm doing it for the hell of it.

>> No.8247604

>>8247503
watch the fanime thread when it's fanime for hilarity
so many people trying to meet by posting in the thread
it was like marco polo internet tag

>> No.8247617

>>8247604
this
we should have a seagull scavenger hunt

>> No.8247643

>>8247617
>seagull scavenger hunt
Holy shit. Can we make this happen?

>> No.8247724

>>8247265
How much? Me and my friend don't have a place to stay, but we were planning on just driving back and forth for about 30 minutes from a friend that lives closeby.

>> No.8247753
File: 12 KB, 412x337, cglscav.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8247724
It's a lot; either $200 or $250 for Friday to Sunday. I'd have to check, I have too many rooms booked for different cons.
But I missed the con hotels and cheaper rooms. :(

>>8247643
I have no idea how this would even work. See attached. But I'd be up for hunting seagulls.

>>8247588
I might give it a try, but I have low tolerance for your every day, run of the mill faggot. It would be better if there were one late at night; we'll see, though!

>> No.8247779

>>8247753
>>8247643
I'm up for that, the Sakuracon one was fun as hell.

>> No.8248067
File: 63 KB, 470x835, flock of cgls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Didn't get an AA table but I still have a lot of these after AoD. I should figure out a way to give them out to seagulls for recognizing it on my bag or something.

>> No.8248080

>>8247604
Maybe we just need a secret handshake - like making seagull noises.

>> No.8248081

>>8248067
>No little bows

>> No.8250224
File: 118 KB, 914x519, mine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8248080

>> No.8250235

>>8248080
That is our secret handshake.

>> No.8250281

>>8248067
Yooo I had no idea such things were around AoD. I so want one

>> No.8250350

>>8248067
I'd buy it

>>8248080
>MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE
>MINE

>> No.8250617

Im so excited for FanimeCon!

>> No.8250778
File: 306 KB, 300x212, Mario &amp; Luigi.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

37 days left

>> No.8251552
File: 760 KB, 400x223, hug awkward sibling hugs.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Regardless of how assholey /cgl/ can be, I really love you guys. Especially the people in the FanimeCon thread. <3 You're my favorite.

>> No.8251604

>>8244663
Wait, people actually do DDR cosplays? I wanted to do a Zukin cosplay for years but I didn't think it would be worth the effort. I'll try to take pics of you at the con, Anon :)

>> No.8251654
File: 208 KB, 350x468, 18007-17273-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8251604

>> No.8253597

>>8247585
Sensing some sexual tension here

>> No.8255954

Industry and press registration just went up a few days ago. Cutting it a little close there, ain'tcha?

>> No.8255990

So, I haven't been to fanime since 2008. Any HUGE CHANGES I should know about?

>> No.8255999

>>8255954
meh, that's fine. a whole month to go. i usually reg right on the edge of deadlines

>> No.8256083

>>8255990
Well the convention center looks completely different than 2008, new halls, new colors, wooden stair areas on the bottom floor near the front doors. Nice little hangout area where the registration used to be.

A lot of the food places are kind of gone, the ones that delivered to the hotels, that is. But the Mexican hot dog vendors have wised up and start lining up near the hotels. After not eating all day and in the AA those hot dogs wrapped in bacon smell ridiculously delicious with huge cobs of corn smothered in butter and spices.

Pizza My Heart is always crowded still. The Fountain's gone. Pretty much it?

>> No.8256348

>>8247503
9pm on Friday. Out in front of the con center by the new sculpture where the fountains used to be.

>> No.8256506

>>8256348

Sounds good to me. Looks like I won't be hosting my panel after all, so I'm free all weekend.

>> No.8256512

>>8256348
Going to be at swap meet. qq

>> No.8256522

>>8256083
Im sad they got rid of the middle of the night food area in one of the convention rooms. In 2013 there was a room with a microwave and hot water and a ton of different things to choose from that were snacks that you could grab if you staying in the center over night or something. Not there last year. Im guessing won't be there this year either.

Ive lost 15lbs for FanimeCon so far. Im so excited to show my cosplays! Im working super hard! Started in January, but so far so good. :4

>> No.8256530

>>8256083
Hydration and the Hot Dog place nearby went out of business. I think after 2008 Jack in the Box is open super late as well as the Hoogie shop

>> No.8256543

Fanime wants to be a Top 10 convention, but runs like a local convention

If they want to survive the growing pains, they need to gain support of the industry and outsource their main issues (ie hotels and finding guests)

>> No.8256567

>>8256543
Please. The numbers have ONLY been climbing. Fanime isn't about guests. We've already discussed this. Fanime is about the over all experience of the attendee with the intent that they make their experience their own. Fanime isn't a convention for people who want fancy guests. If you go to this convention for guests then you are in the wrong place.

>> No.8256586

>>8256530
What's in Hydration now?

>> No.8256860

>>8256586
It's another bobba place but even the sign is super plain

>> No.8257711

>>8256522
oh shit that was awesome
me and friends camped those tables for a long ass time just chilling and having fun. and the snack guys and microwave.

>> No.8258345

>>8256530
As long as Hoagie Steak Out and Pizza My Heart are still there, it's all good.