[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 153 KB, 970x652, 1364010742121.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8157389 No.8157389 [Reply] [Original]

I always am down to read some funny or awful stories of people wearing lolita in public. Share your stories/repost some interesting ones from previous threads.

>> No.8157395

>>8157389
Got offered a job bartending while wearing lolita. I politely declined but the idea makes me giggle until I think of all the drunk assholes that would make me hate my life.

>> No.8157446

>>8157389
>wore lolita to a supermarket
>meeting a photographer there
>too hot to sit in my car
>'I don't know anyone in this town anyways'
>stand outside
>people pointing at me
>taking photos of me
>friend trying to make me feel better
>go get ice cream after shoot
>woman sitting at table by door compliments me several times and asks me if I'm in a play or an actress (I was in a town famous for plays)
>little old lady says that I'm absolutely precious and wishes that her grandaughter would dress like me, and not like a slut
>friend and I are dying

>> No.8157543

>>8157389
I actually got my current job because of Lolita.

>> No.8157609

>>8157389
recently went to a very nice cafe with my girlfriend for Valentine's day. it was my first time wearing lolita in public besides going to meets or cons, and the waitress said i looked like a princess. damn good day.

>> No.8157679

>>8157543
>>8157395
how get job in lolita plz tell me

>> No.8157696

>>8157543
what job?

>> No.8157784
File: 87 KB, 500x600, 1409598371577.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ever since I replaced my old winter coat with a lolita brand one I get compliments almost every time I go out. Apparently the people in my apartment complex have started calling me "the little lady".

Also this happened this weekend
>out with my father to visit grandmother
>dad is kind of bewildered by lolita and doesn't understand the appeal of fashion of any kind, but doesn't mind as long as I enjoy it
>be stopped for compliments several times
>when leaving grandma's flat we're ambushed by a group of older ladies who fawn over me and my clothes
>dad, who is normally not very keen on attention from strangers and has been relatively quiet all day, suddenly excitedly blurts out "That's MY daughter! And she made the skirt herself!"
>aww dad

>> No.8158175

>>8157784
>tfw mom and dad tells me i look like a slut in lolita and that it screams "rape me"
>tfw i only get insults and get put down by them and they're never proud of me
;_;

>> No.8158200

>>8157784
>>8158175
>go back to dad's house for the weekend because errands
>have a meet that saturday
>bring my lolita shit expecting to be able to avoic prolonged contact with family members while in said coord
>it's just a non-print gothic coord with the istamori nun collar and a wig that's a different color than my hair
>Go to quickly tell him I'm leaving so he doesn't bitch later
>He comes and sees me because he's deaf and can't hear me
>que awkward looks and questioning
>he just kind of looks like he accepts it
>tell him I'm going to a swap meet with friends(not too far off)
>he just leaves it at that even though I can tell he's weirded out.
>thingswentbetterthanexpected.jpeg

>> No.8158201

>>8158175
This is the cost of having rednecks for a mom and dad.

>> No.8158202

>>8158175
Punch them. Punch your fucking parents.

>> No.8158203

>>8158175
>look like a slut in literal layers of modest clothing

Want me to punch 'em in the 'nads?

>> No.8158212

>>8158175
Put rat poison in the beer.

>> No.8158221

>>8158175
:(

>> No.8158377

>>8158175
Kick their asses
Sell them on the black market
Use the profits for burando

>> No.8158600

>going to a con with friend while in lolita
>tell my friend i'll bet her anything that someone will call me "alice in wonderland" today, she laughs
>we get on the subway and see a few other people going to the con
>one woman sees me and her face lights up
>"OH, OH! ALICE IN WONDERLAND!"
>friend barely keeping a straight face
>random woman looks so excited that I'd feel bad about correcting her
>"yeah, I'm kind of...a pink version of alice in wonderland!"
>she's so happy to have guessed correctly
>this happens again when we take the subway back from the con, with a different woman

>> No.8158612
File: 144 KB, 500x275, 1422874897943.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8158377
I'm with this person. Seriously you'd be rolling in the brand of your choice after the sale...

>> No.8158624
File: 226 KB, 444x800, Alice-PNG-alice-in-wonderland-33922018-444-800.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8158600
I never understand the ALW comments, you mention in your story you weren't even in blue. How do people see something that looks nothing like this and think "Alice In Wonderland"? Are normalfags really this simpleminded to just think petticoat/fluffy dress with similar silhouette = ALW? People say this when there's no con either.

>> No.8158660

>>8158624
I never get the Bo Peep comments either. Maybe people associate it with the Toy Story character? Idk. My state's like 80% farmland. You'd think that people would understand what agricultural appropriate clothing would be since it's all what people wear aside of athletic gear for casual wear.

>> No.8158672
File: 133 KB, 440x259, 1396995825266.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8158624
After I started wearing lolita, even in my normal clothing, I get stopped at least twice a week with people asking me if I like or am Alice in Wonderland. I don't even have blonde hair and I wear glasses.

>Take the subway to work
>Dressed in a very casual coord
>Hear very loud "whispering" from a group talking about a girl who must be Alice and because she looks exactly like Alice
>Group openly stares and points at me during the conversation
>Blatantly ignore them even though they are sitting a few seats away from me
>Two girls come up to me giggling
>Oh fuck, here we go
>"Do you know of Alice in Wonderland? You, like, look exactly like her."
>They compliment me and exit at the next stop
>I'm left horribly confused trying to figure out if they were being sincere or not

I even had a guy hit on me saying Alice must be my favorite character because I dress like her. Then he said our meeting must be fate because his favorite character was Alice, too. Other than my Ahcahcum Muchacha bunny bag, and a slight poof in my skirt, I look nothing like the character.

>> No.8158695

>Haven't gone to a meet in a few months
>Dress up in a Sweet Cream House coord to do a few errands
>Feel great because I missed the frills
>On my way to the super market, some fellow crosses the street and stands next to me at the cross walk
>He double takes when he sees me
>Catch his eyes light up in excitement as he keeps looking over his shoulder at me
>Socially awkward sweating intensifies
>Quickly whip out my phone and put my headphones on even though I'm not listening to anything
>Guy crosses the street before me, stops and looks back at me, and then continues walking

I feel bad for ignoring him, but I'm really awful at talking to strangers, especially in lolita. I've had one person run through traffic to take pictures of me. He told me he liked my shoes because they looked like some serious Mary Poppins shit.

The only negative experiences I've really had while in public are from older women and crack heads. Crack heads to not approve of the frills, apparently.

>> No.8158702
File: 76 KB, 232x313, 2095_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8158600
Reminds me of an anecdote my friend told me once. They were wearing pic related and a normalfag asked if they were Alice in Wonderland

>> No.8158704

>>8158624
When I went to a con in lolita, cosplayers kept telling me they liked my Alice: Madness Returns cosplay.

I would have understood if I'd been wearing a straight black wig, since she has a fuckton of different outfits in the game, but I was wearing a curly brown one and an outfit nothing like the character.

>> No.8158707

>>8158702
Does the writing on the skirt say Alice and the Pirates?

>> No.8158708

>>8158702
The Red Queen maybe, Alice no.

>> No.8158716
File: 215 KB, 500x672, moetitan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8158702
>Alice in wonderland
>very obviously little red riding hood
>>8158695
That reminds me
>don't get to go out in frills too often but don't get any bad attention when I do
>recently go out with comm members
>get our pictures "secretly" taken multiple times
>only 2 of maybe 5 people who did it actually asked and were polite about it
>go on the bus by myself on the way home
>Chinese grill and her boyfriend taking pictures
>give them rude stares and take pictures back

I've never had that happen to me before, it pissed me off quite a bit. I really wanted to call them out but felt like it would have been spergy to do so on a bus full of people at 8pm.

>> No.8158728

>picking up some supplies at Michael's
>Wearing Baby dress/headdress with some Taobao and offbrand stuff
>waiting in line
>fat frumpy cashier next to me says "Oh I love your lolita!"
>blush and say thank you
>"is that Bodyline?"
>.....
>frothing on the inside, smile on the outside I correct her.
>It wasn't even a bad coord =(

>> No.8158750

>antiquing in this southern US town about 30 minutes from mine with some friends
>wearing Cameo Window
>stop in local coffee shop for a cool beverage
>southern boy compliments my outfit while I'm waiting in line
>"You just don't see girls dressed like that anymore"
>dawww

It was really cute. He came across as being kind of shy and quiet types - like it took him a lot of courage to say it.

It really was amazing how many compliments my friends and I got that day. Maybe because we weren't wearing sweet?

>> No.8158755

>>8158728
Since burando prints are so popular at the moment, nonprint says Bodyline to a lot of people. I wore an oldschool black Baby dress to a meet and someone mistook it for Bodyline, even though it wasn't a design Bodyline have replicated, because they didn't understand why/how you'd buy brand if it wasn't a coveted print.

>> No.8158788

>>8157395
I also got offered to work as a host in a expensive vegan restaurant. They said they wanted someone like me? I'm still not sure what they meant, pretty sure the manager was drunk also.

>> No.8158817

>>8158716
>Take pictures back
Best thing. I also put the volume on so they know I'm taking pictures, then act like I'm posting them on the Internet or sending them by text.

Also that Moe titan is creepy. 100/10

>> No.8158818

>>8158624
It's kind of like
>in any sailor fuku
>Oh hi Sailor Moon!"

Most normalfags only have a handful of associations for poofy conservative knee-length dress and sailor style dress.

>> No.8158843

>>8158624
Yeah, pretty much
Either that or
>Red Ridding Hood
>"Are you in a play????"
>"It's not Halloween you know :ppppp "

Normalfags are the worst

>> No.8158863

>>8158843
TBH, the only ones of these I've got are "Are you in a play?" and "What are you dressed up as?" I'm yet to experience little bo peep comments from normalfags, although my mom did say that once.

>> No.8158878

>>8158755
The thing is, it was a print dress...

>> No.8158882

>>8158878
My apologies, that's weird. Maybe Bodyline was the only "brand" she knew.

>> No.8158890

>>8158882
That's kind of what I figured, which doesn't make it much less cringy

>> No.8158966

> I love your costume!
> your costume is so cute!
> you look like a doll!

I get mixed feelings when people say this because they're complimenting me but.....no...

>> No.8158975

>>8158966
you look like a doll is good though, it's kind of the point. costume i guess not exactly but seriously, doll is best compliment.

>> No.8158982

>>8158750
Those are the best compliments.

>> No.8158984

>>8158755
>>8158728
imo, I think that the cashier seems like a total noob to lolita, and Bodyline is somehow more accessible than actual lolita brands, so that person might person might have just been familiar with off-brand stuff.

>> No.8159016

>>8158624
Most people who see something they don't understand, they immediately try to come up with something they know to help them understand it better. Others don't have such a keen photographic memory so if it looks similar, they'll automatically jump to it as an explanation, ala Alice and Wonderland. I wore an AP card purse with a milk tea wig with an AP floral jsk with a cardigan once and everyone thought I was Alice because of the card bag. (yes, I know it doesn't match the theme)

Little Bo Peep is commonly illustrated with a bonnet or big bow and a poofy dress/socks/maryjanes. So I can see where that comes from.

Mary Poppins wouldn't be a far stretch for classic lolita either.

Same thing when anyone sees someone in a costume they like to assume that it's "Comic con" because they've seen it on the internet or on TV and have become aware of it as a thing.

>> No.8159024

>get AP OP as highschool graduation gift
>Love the fuck out of it, wear it to grad party
>Decide it needs more use, wear it out for fun day shopping
>Not used to stares, get super self-conscious
>hear people make terribly rude joke from the distance
>go home feeling ashamed and not wear lolita in public for about 3-4yrs
>Finally start going out in it again
>Meet lolita in neighboring town
>I look fine, she looks like hot mess 80% of the time
>Get really awkward stares, see people pointing and laughing
>Get super nervous, want to stop wearing it out again

Tfw too socially awkward to handle people staring and commenting. Tfw embarrassed by friend's horrible ill-ftting faux-OTT coords w/awful hair, no makeup, and how much attention they draw to us.

>> No.8159063

>>8158624
>wearing navy dream sky jsk
>completely covered in stars and moons head to toe
>have short brown hair
>middle aged women with 2 kids approaches me
>"oh my goodness, alice in wonderland! adorable! my kids love you!"
she was really really sweet and seemed like a great mom, but i dont even know where she got alice from? the theme was so strong...

>> No.8159075

At cons/meets, nothing but compliments and smiles and polite questions. People just love to tell me and my friends how cute we are and love to inquire about the fashion. I love it when little girls ask if I am a princess.

The only negative experience I had was in fact hardly negative, just strange and it was at a family event. I was wearing a mega casual coord that was so casual it could hardly be called otome with a sweet cream house skirt and a knitted sweater-shirt from forever 21. I wasn't even in a petticoat and my uncle took one look at me and asked where my sheep were.

>> No.8159083

>>8158755
I have worn non print bodyline and had it mistaken for IW multiple times. Also some of my bodyline accessories have been mistaken for other brands, too.
It depends on how you style your clothes. Certain pieces will always be mistaken for bodyline, usually if they are old school and even mildly "ita" by todays standards.

>> No.8159088

>>8158984
Maybe the dress had the Btssb logo, which looks similar to Bodyline's.

>> No.8159103

>>8158817
>>8158716
This is a pretty good idea. What was the general reaction?

>> No.8159114

>>8157543
do you have mad embroidery skills and now design for Baby?

>> No.8159132
File: 20 KB, 300x300, har.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8159114
Oh you~

>> No.8159146

>>8157679
You would need to get some kind of office job at a place where things are quirky already like a startup or Silicon Valley type place and aren't in the line of site of clients and investors. Most other jobs I can think of require a uniform, practical clothes or normal clothes.

>> No.8159151

>>8158707
It's from Baby, noob.

>> No.8159157

>>8158750
Cameo Window IS sweet. Jesus, it's not difficult to tell the difference between the three main styles.

>> No.8159194

>>8159103
People are shocked. Because they have the right to take pictures and not us.

>> No.8159246

>>8159146
That, or some kind of retail job at an "interesting" kind of store - a Sanrio store for instance, though it also depends on the management. I've heard of some girls working at places like Teavana, some sort of art/craft store, etc. that let them wear lolita but it's all up to how their boss feels. (though I wouldn't wear lolita to Teavana myself. Big petticoats + porcelain that can be knocked over + hot water that can me spilled sounds like a recipe for a horror story) Certain jobs at certain museums, too. I've also heard of people being allowed to wear their frills while working at the library. I think it also boils down to the style, as well, as to if you are likely to get permission or not. (ott sweet vs. toned down classic or ott gothic vs a casual sweet/classic style)

>> No.8159255

>>8158702
The irony

>> No.8159334

Ayyyeee i got one today actually
>Finish up an order on wrought iron door handles and have a hankering for Boba Tea and CreamPuffs
>Drive to the mall
>As im walking up to the shop i spot a Lolita sitting alone at a table, frills out in force
>Street rats and Soccer moms hanging about with their phones out and whispering to themselves
>Lolita seems miffed but is holding her face well while she eats her puffs
>Whistle softly as i walk to the counter
>She looks up at me with a cocked brow and i give her a very light wink
>She smiles cheekily and goes back to her puffs
>I order my crack boba (Taro) and a dozen puffs
>Plop my dirty self in a chair near her, rest one of my boots on a spare chair, and place the box of puffs between us
>People get uncomfortable because im chewing with my mouth opening and staring them down
>Like, cow chewing? Loudly.
>Lolita is stiffling a giggle as people start to walk away grossed out
>Soon everyone leaves her be and my presence deters anyone else from bothering her
>I reign in my table manners and we have a quiet chat about our interests

Had to settle for a hand shake when we departed. I was quite dirty

>> No.8159343

>>8158175
I've never understood people who think lolita looks slutty.
I was under the impression that hiding every inch of skin on your body and wearing non-tight clothes was the opposite of slutty.

>> No.8159365

>>8159246
>working at teavana

>> No.8159376

>>8159365
Taking money from hipsters is perfectly respectable, anon.

>> No.8159377

>>8159365
Teavana is mostly a sales job, making tea and handling the porcelain can be given to the barista people. Sales people barely have to touch shit.
I can never wear Lolita there though personally

>> No.8159390

>>8159334
you are adorable come be my lolita protector

>> No.8159407
File: 1.82 MB, 300x277, h8I2w8e.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My best friend is a lolita. I dress pretty glamorous. Your normal high end stuff plus some gyaru brands. It's a cute contrast.

>Sitting on metro with friend
>Minding our own business
>Some other girls get on the bus
>Can hear them whispering to each other
>Hear a giggle
>One of them not so sneakily starts taking photos
>Friend texts me that it's making her uncomfortable and we should move
>Nah
>I'm very good at being trashy. It goes with the style.
>"Hey, this ugly bitch is taking photos of you."
>Friend's face when
>Other girls freeze up
>Say something along the lines of "You're so cute and girly. She's probably never seen someone so pretty before. Fucking pervert wants to take you home with her."
>See a few of the girls try to find somewhere else to sit
>"Come back! You're really ugly! I want to make you my Snapchat story!"
>Girl from our comm happens to get on (out of lolita)
>Around my level of cunt
>Tell her that these lesbian bitches were trying to take photos of friend
>Comm girl calls them freaks
>Basically bully these girls until they get off of the bus
>Feel kind of bad since my friend never asked for us to do that, but she laughed with us once they left

In my defense, they were fat, ugly, and old enough to know better.

>> No.8159415

>>8159343
I don't either, but perhaps they see it as like a...burlesque, fancy stripper kind of thing?? Just with all the big petticoats and wigs and shit, drawing attention to yourself. I don't know. It still never makes entirely any sense to me but a lot of people feel very negatively towards people that dress in any ~alternative~ way that draws attention to themselves. I could maybe see if they saw something OTT sweet that looked very ageplay-y. But I especially don't see how someone could see someone in a bonnet and automatically think "slut".
Similarly, I've heard lots of public stories where people think they're some kind of prostitute or dominatrix. Don't really get where that comes from at all but I go back to the "fancy stripper" thing.

>> No.8159419

>>8159407
You sound like an amazing friend. 10/10

>> No.8159422
File: 101 KB, 640x360, 1316843617758.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8159407
>I'm very good at being trashy. It goes with the style.

Anon, you sound hilarious.

>> No.8159429

>>8159415
I'm sure that that's exactly their reasoning.
But that is a lot of shit to take off, people need to use some common sense.

>> No.8159434

>>8159407
I love you, you mean trashy bitch.
10/10 would waifu

>> No.8159437
File: 41 KB, 300x451, 1421104652617.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8159407
Oh my god, that's incredible anon, please be my friend. I would never be brave or quick enough to do that, my mind usually goes blank when that shit happens. Your friend's lucky to have you.

>> No.8159438

>>8159407
you're amazing anon, be my best friend pls

>> No.8159497

>>8159343
I've had someone tell me that the petticoat makes my butt look big and is therefore a slutty thing to wear. She was wearing partially sheer leggings with a crop top. I will never understand people.

>> No.8159512
File: 900 KB, 899x619, tumblr_m9pxqmm2HB1qctwkso1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8158203
Lolita isn't particularly modest, stop kidding yourself.

>> No.8159514
File: 84 KB, 580x580, hotttopic lolita.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8159343
It only makes sense to me personally if the person doesn't quite get the lolita thing yet and is just wearing leg ave pettis with a hot topic pseudo-corset top and pigtails. If you're doing it right, even if it's proper ero-loli (does it even exist?) most people wouldn't call lolita slutty unless they're basing it solely off the name.

My mom loves my outfits, but only refers to it as rufflebutt because she really doesn't like associating it with lolita. She's an obstetrician and has seen a few too many pregnant twelve year olds.

>> No.8159516

>Wearing otome style to work
>Up on a ladder putting away some stock
>Older woman approaches me and suddenly smiles
>"Are you wearing a petticoat?"
>She tells me that she hasn't seen a one being worn in a long time
>Starts talking to me about the good ol' days

>>8159497
My friends often pester me about wearing dresses during winter, even if I layer tights and thermal underwear, yet they go around wearing leggings. Even when I'm in lolita my boyfriend nags me until I start listing off how many layers I'm wearing under my winter gear.

>> No.8159524

>>8159512
Yeahhh I don't really agree when people say lolita is a "modest" fashion. I mean, I know what they're trying to say, lolita it's definitely something different from wearing crop-tops and short-shorts (which I don't look down upon either/I wear the combo myself tbh) but to me, part of what "modesty" entails I think is being plain and just not really drawing attention to yourself. Lolita doesn't draw attention in a "sexy" way but I think any of us that have worn lolita out in public/anywhere a normalfag will see us has understood that this is a fashion that is very, very attention grabbing, whether we want it to be or not. Certain elements of the fashion are also very flashy...like, think of just any OTT coord. I wouldn't consider that modest at all. There's a reason so many of us can get such comical public reactions.
The only modest thing about lolita is focusing things away from being sexy and covering up a bit more than usual fashion styles (like covering shoulders and cleavage).

>> No.8159529

>>8159512
>>8159524
when people say lolita is modest clothing they mean it's the opposite of slutty and it covers skin, lol

>being this bad at english

>> No.8159540

>>8159529
>thinking that's what modest means
>being this bad at english
lol

>> No.8159541

>>8159529
>Literally say in my post "I mean, I know what they're trying to say"

Did I have to make myself that much clearer? I know they mean that it covers skin. I can still say lolita isn't as modest as people act like it is because it's still a very attention-grabbing fashion. If someone cared about modesty in that they didn't want to draw attention from themselves from dressing slutty, they would be dressing plainly, as opposed to lace and petticoats and bonnets.

>it's not like modesty has more than one definition or anything

>> No.8159543

>>8159514
The pigtails definitely give some people barely-legal-naughty-Catholic-schoolgirl-as-portrayed-by-a-40-year-old-pornstar vibes, unless they're part of a gigantic wig that looks more costumy than porny. I get more negative comments on cutesy hairstyles than on my clothing.

>>8159516
>at family gathering
>uncle wonders how my skirt is "so round"
>tell them I'm wearing a petticoat
>grandma mentions that my aunts used to wear them to school when they were little
>aunts start discussing how cute their clothes used to be
>grandma interrupts them with a completely random story about the war
>okay grandma
My other grandma had a rather shitty husband and home life and she associates any pre-90s women's fashion with that, so she doesn't like lolita at all. I envy girls whose grannies are enthusiastic about their frills.

>> No.8159545

>>8159540
not that anon, but are you the same anon who always writes this >>8159524 whole thing? modest is generally used to describe clothing coverage. and as far as that goes, it is modest, an aspect of it is modest. people rarely use modest to mean humble in general.

>> No.8159551

>>8159529
Thats true but its not the only definition of modest. Technically those anons are not incorrect because being showy, extravagant and attention grabbing is not modest.

>adjective
having or showing a moderate or humble estimate of one's merits, importance, etc.; free from vanity, egotism, boastfulness, or great pretensions.
free from ostentation or showy extravagance:
a modest house.

either way we are both being pedantic assholes because you know what they meant

>> No.8159555
File: 533 KB, 844x469, idgi.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8159541
If you're going to acknowledge that modest can refer to different aspects then why did you even reply? And why are you arguing? The issue was slutty vs not slutty and you dumb bitches always feel the need to humble-brag about how you know lolita isn't modest cause it's flashy when no one gives a shit and that's not what we were talking about.

>> No.8159559

>>8159415
I once tried explaining lolita to a girl I had gotten to know over the course of 3 months. When I was explaining the general asthetic of modesty she kept insisting on how sexy it was. This made me uncomfortable and I wished she hadn't kept pushing back from the point I was trying to make (that I wear these clothes for my own personal enjoyment and not to be eye candy for someone else). Really was disappointing and thought she would have reacted differently.

>> No.8159560
File: 85 KB, 640x960, tumblr_ng8cbmXocS1sg6dpfo1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8159157
I think the different colourways can be coorded either classic or sweet.

>> No.8159564

>>8159555
Lolita isn't even modest by that definition compared to regular jeans and a sweater. You're still wearing knee length skirts and relatively form fitting clothing. All you ever do is compare it to leggings and low cut tops but the majority of adult women at least around here don't dress any less modest than lolita.

>> No.8159578

>>8159564
are you trying to say that something like jeans and sweaters which are designed to cling to your form are more modest than clothes that make you shaped like an umbrella? Dumb cunt.

>> No.8159580
File: 62 KB, 500x672, snicker.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8159578
your frillies seem rustled anon

can we move off the definitions that we all apparently disagree on and get back into lulzy lolita in public stories?

>> No.8159583

>>8159580
how about you keep your shitty opinions to yourself next time if you don't know what anyone's talking about. oh wait.

>i know you guys were talking about one definition but you're opinions are wroooong mine is right cause i'm talking about something only tangentially related.

sorry, no one gives a shit about you.

>> No.8159584

>>8159559
Did you ask her why she thought it was sexy? My boyfriend sometimes calls me sexy when I'm wearing lolita but he's purely referring to my legs and legwear, not the dress. I can't imagine anyone thinking lolita from the knees up is sexy unless the coord is borderline ero or the person has some kind of fetish.

>> No.8159586

>>8159578
As a guy, there is definitely a big attraction to such things.

You forget that, while being modest, its not entirely so, as even wearing a pettycoat it exaggerates your curves.

That, and its different and different with confidence is sexy

>> No.8159589
File: 107 KB, 332x389, HAH.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8159586
>said no guy ever

b-but if i pretend i'm a guy people will believe me, plus /cgl/ anons really care about guy opinions

multikeks

>> No.8159592

>>8159583
Why are you so mad? Someone is being a dumb bitch on the internet, get over it. No one cares about your sandy vag either.

>> No.8159595

>>8159589
Do i gotta post my dick or can you accept that this is 4chan, and guys come here

>> No.8159596

>>8159592
>i just keep replying~
>anon why u so maaaad

>> No.8159598

>>8159578
Modest in a non-attention-seeking way anon.

>> No.8159602

>>8159598
>lolita isn't modest cause it's form fitting
>all you people do is compare to slut clothes
>most people wear less revealing stuff

she wasn't talking about attention seeking, learn to read.

>> No.8159603
File: 967 KB, 320x169, 1404997694203.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For fuck's sake, /cgl/.

>> No.8159604

>>8159595
dick or gtfo
you know the rules, fuckpig

>> No.8159605

>>8159596
I mean, if it does make you that mad, I certainly will keep on replying, you seem really annoyed and I just find it a bit amusing.

>> No.8159606

>>8159605
>getting baited so hard
Please kill yourself out of the thread. You fucking ruined it by thinking you were 'annoying' the troll, shut the hell up so we can get back on track.

>> No.8159616

>>8159602
>"are you trying to say that something like jeans and sweaters which are designed to cling to your form are more modest?"
>yes they are more modest in a way that they are not drawing as much attention to the wearer, because modesty can be defined in a non-sexual way

BETTER?

>> No.8159633

>>8159616
No because you're still lacking in reading comprehension. Check the comment thread again.
Sage because fuck, this thread has gone to shit.

>> No.8159634

>>8159616
Stop getting baited. Fuck, and you guys wonder why we get raided all the time.

>> No.8159638

>>8159578
Jeans ans sweaters aren't in general designed to cling your form. There is a variety of cuts and fabrics that are very modest.
Clothing clinging to your form is only sexy if you already have a good body shape.
Lolita clothing exaggerates the hip to waist ratio and feminine shape even if you got none. It's completely understandable if people don't think you're dressing sexually modest in lolita despite the fact that every inch of your body is covered by clothing or makeup.

>> No.8159782

>>8159586
>As a guy
>pettycoat

>> No.8159814

>>8159782
thats how you know its a guy. he's dumb as fuck.

>> No.8159830

>>8159343

A friend of mine was showing a dress I just bought to one of our coworkers
She thought it was cute so we showed her a couple of our favourite online coord

>"woah anon, that's so neat. Such a sexy 'how bad am I really?' vibe"

Wut wut wut?? It took me almost a full minute to process that.

>why do normalfags make everything about sex?

>> No.8159837

>>8159814
>>8159782
Oh, don't be so petty.

>> No.8159839

>>8158707
Red Riding Hood actually

>> No.8159849

>>8159830
>>why do normalfags make everything about sex?
Idk man. It's annoying as hell.
>look I made a frilly dress that obscures practically my entire figure from the knees up
>how kinky!
like what the fuck is wrong with some people

>>8159839
>*Red Ridding Hood

>> No.8159855

>>8159830

>why do normalfags make everything about sex?

Maybe that's the issue.

>omg I like this!
>that must mean I want to hump it!
>sexy!

>> No.8159860

>>8159560
It's sweet in both outfits. It doesn't matter how you coordinate it either, the dress itself is sweet.

>> No.8159937

>in the student food court at my college, wearing pretty casual sweet
>girl in some kind of pokemon kigu sees me across the food court
>ohshit.jpg
>she comes running over to me and tells me she loves my dress, she adores lolita and I look just like a character in an anime
>I'm too fucking polite to tell her to leave me alone so I end up listening to twenty minutes of rambling anime plot synopsis

I should have run for it the minute I saw the kigu.

>> No.8160111

>>8158200
You sound like a shitty family member.

>> No.8160120

>>8159024
Be a normal person then and stop wearing it outside then

>> No.8160127

>>8159407
This sounds like the fakest story I've ever heard. I bet this happened and you didn't say shit about it like your friend.

>> No.8160196

>>8159937
>Lolita going about her business
>Glances right
> Sees Kigu
> Lolita recoils with a FUCK as the kigu bearer looks at her and eyes light up
>Kigu bearer kicking and punching away tables as it sprints to the Lolita

I may have to draw this

>> No.8160204
File: 10 KB, 200x182, denholm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8160196
Please do.

>> No.8160226

>>8159586
As a chick I also think lolita is attractive. Not in a sexual way but really it is very flattering.

>> No.8160235

>>8159564
>>8159578
>>8159586
>>8160226
While as a male i do find it attractive, i don't find it particularly sexy or god forbid "kink" wear. Its more of an fashion thing really.

>> No.8160280

I wear classic. If I'm with my husband, he's my rude people repellent because he's tall and has a it of a resting bitch face (much to his dismay because he's really easygoing, lol). Usually when I'm by myself I don't get reactions, either. Maybe it's where I live, too - when we went to NYC we got lots of comments (all positive, one po-beep).

But then, I once went out with a few loli friends, and this happened:

>post meet at someone's house
>decide to go to Mcdonalds' to meet friend who works there. Me and friend 1 in loli, friend 2 changed at her house.
>place is full of teenagers when we get there
>make a small order, get giggles from someone else in line, whatev
>friend 1 goes ahead to sit, when she walks past a table the kids there start whooping, snorting and calling her dollface
>friend 2 and I catch up, some jerk at the same table goes "oooh shit not again" and more obnoxious noises
>I stop and ask if everything's okay, he mumbles stuff about being fine and looks a bit embarrassed
>we sit and eat and chat, waiting for friend to finish shift. In the meantime, friend 2 goes to exchange her food cause it was made wrong
>teenagers are leaving as friend 2 gets back with new food, and she got to keep the old stuff
>the same guy again, calls friend "sexy dollface" or something like that while his friends are telling him to shut up
>friend 2 gets pissed, she gets up, grabs her old burger
>follows them into the parking lot, yelling "excuse me"
>smashes burger on the guy's head, does a glorious twirl and walks back in
>teenager walks away flabbergasted with sauce in his hair.

Not sure if he'd done enough to have that coming, and I certainly wasn't expecting my friend to do something like that, but he was obnoxious as fuck so it felt pretty good.

>> No.8160291

>>8160235
It exaggerates the female figure, much like Diors new look did. Very flattering, makes girls seem more attractive. Not in a sexy way, just as beautiful.
>>8160280
kekkest kek

>> No.8160330

>>8160127
It's probably a lot easier to be a giant bitch when you're not in a ridiculously poofy dress. Anon's friend was probably dressed in normalfag borderline slutty clothes. My sister dresses the same way and has the same aggressive personality.

>tfw I got bullied ONCE in high school and never again because of what my psycho whore sister did to the bully
>I love you, sis.

>> No.8160350

>>8160330
...now im kinda curious on what your sister did...?

>> No.8160445

>>8159586
>>8159589
My boyfriend said the same though when I wore it for the first time.Of course it's not sexy in like the kinky sexy way but it is different and yes the curves and the things like frills and pintucks do make you 'look' and get attention. You can forget but under these clothes we're still all naked and it's still a body you're dressing. So while some people only see the cute or elegant clothes, a lot of others see cute or elegant clothes + body under it + personality of the one wearing it.
And for example: the socks and lace under the skirt-part does attract attention to legs for example (even when they're covered). And I'd say that a closed collar does attract more attention to the neckline which is also quite a sexy-region for some people.

>> No.8160499

>>8159407
I don't doubt this because I act just as aggressive in lolita. I KNOW that I'm dressed like a weirdo, but it's rude to stare and take pictures of anyone. It's creepy as fuck.
Seeing someone's face when you say "What the fuck do you want?" when they're staring at you in your frilly pink dress is priceless.

>> No.8160527

>>8160499
Anon wasn't dressed in lolita. The friend was, which is giving me a hilarious mental image. I'm imagining some Kim Kardashian dressing girl yelling at the other girls while cupcake princess just sits and nods her head.

>> No.8160545
File: 2.32 MB, 1680x1050, panty-stocking-with-garte_769_1680[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8160527
pic related is what i pictured.

>> No.8160593
File: 73 KB, 491x577, tumblr_m0axm0kFYH1qk5yn3o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> be in composition class
> professor says "okay, I want to ask you guys something about this fashion I see downtown a lot, do you know anything about it?"
> "Is there a name for a fashion that looks kind of like Little Bo Peep? You know, when girls wear hoop skirts, bonnets, lacy socks..."
> Several of us immediately chime in with "that's lolita!" and go on to explain to her that its a street fashion from Japan, not a costume, unrelated to the book, etc.
> "Ohhhhhhh okay is that what its called? I see a group of girls wearing it all the time downtown."
> "My daughter loves them, she calls them princesses!"
> dawwww

I'm pleasantly surprised by how positively she reacted to them. She did make the "bo peep" comment, but I'll give her a pass just because she was trying to describe the aesthetic.

Pic somewhat related

>> No.8160596

>>8159860

That's such a strange thing

I can take a gothic or classic dress and coord it sweet as hell. But you can never coord a sweet dress as anything but sweet...

>> No.8160600

>>8160593
Man you /egl/ seagulls sure are stuck up. A person not in loli/doesn't know wtf it is makes an off hand comment about bo peep had your jimmies rustled?

>> No.8160605

i don't have any super cool stories.. but:

>princess / miss lady is permanent nickname at work
>a hobo once tried to give me all his money because he thought i was cute
>friendly shopkeepers apparently talk about me with other locals sometimes
>free cupcakes from local bakery

>> No.8160608

>>8160280
I genuinely haven't laughed at any other stories as much as I did at this one.

>> No.8160612

>>8160600
Wtf are you talking about?

>> No.8160615

>>8160605
I want free cupcakes...

>> No.8160617

>>8160600
I literally said that it didn't piss me off. The only reason why I mentioned it was because 9/10 times in these stories bo peep comments are usually rude, so obviously they'd be irritating in that context. I think you're the one with the rustled jimmies anon.

>> No.8160986
File: 369 KB, 300x302, LCpQLEM.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8159837

>> No.8161815
File: 52 KB, 400x400, 1423251171068.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be in Uni club (no, not anime)
>everyone knows I wear lolita sometimes
>meet up with a couple of club friends at other club member's place
>in full normalfag wear, skinny jeans, a regular t-shirt and a jacket
>club member's female flatmate in the same rome is staring intensely at me while we talk
>leave after a couple of hours for dinner
>"You know, one of my flatmates came earlier just to see you. She was really shocked when she saq you and going on about how frilly and cutesy your dresses were."
>mfw

I don't know if I should be flattered or what.

>> No.8161818
File: 103 KB, 500x375, 1418156191175.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8161815
It sounds more like she has a crush on you than some sort of entertainment/freakshow factor.

>> No.8161862

>>8160600
Different Anon but for me it depends on how it is said. If the commenter is obviously being a jerk then yes, jimmies rustled. If not then usually no.

>> No.8161868

>>8160615
I get free pretty decorated sugar cookies at our local lunch place as well, and lavender lemonades. I think it's funny and sweet that some people want to give Lolitas goodies!

>> No.8161933

>>8159584
I really didn't want to delve into it (the whole conversation was just making me feel kind of bad about it). I am no prude to sex and I can appreciate that some people find casual lolita to be attractive (my boyfriend thinks I look like a doll blah blah, he likes it because I like it though). However, the way she kept insisting that the fashion definitely could be perceived as super sexy.

>> No.8162013

>got complimented by a skinhead

>> No.8162017
File: 227 KB, 390x668, 814054-nana1mh1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8160545
I pictured pic related, except with Komatsu in lolita.
>tfw no qt trashy rokku gyaru bff

>> No.8162044

>>8160280
>smashes burger on the guy's head, does a glorious twirl and walks back in
She's really lucky it ended this well. That asshole could have easily been a bigger dick and smashed the burger back onto her, sauce and all.

>> No.8162046

>>8159578
..what jeans and sweaters do you wear?

>working my ass off in library yesterday
>wear comfy far clothes; hoodie and jeans
>friend asks me if I'm wearing my bf's clothes because they were so baggy
Technically my lolita stuff is less modest because of the skirt and fitted bodice.

>> No.8162049

Wear tartan
>are you even Scottish lololo
Wear red
>beware of the wolf red riding hood kekeke
Wear blue
>OMG JUST LIKE ALICE
Wear pink
>have you lost your sheep or something
Wear black
>it's not fucking halloween

People think they are sooo clever.

>> No.8162071

>>8162049
I admit I people watch and silently judge fashion choices too, but it takes a special kind of socially retarded douche to say impolite things to a stranger's face. I don't know where people stuff their shame in those moments.

>> No.8162117

>>8162049
>>8162071
Honestly I'm far more bothered by how repetitive and unoriginal the comments are than the fact of commenting itself. I know I'm wearing something that stands out, I don't know why people need to vocally point it out as if I didn't own a mirror, but I'm prepared and used to it.

Some more bizarre reactions people have at least can be turned into a fun (or horrifying - let's hope that never happens though) anecdote for a meet, but this is just annoying background noise.

>> No.8162131

I've had people call me Mary Poppins, Alice (in Wonderland, why does everyone say "Alice in Wonderland" as if that was her name?) And have been asked if I'm going to a party or if I'm preforming in a play. None of it was meant in a rude way though, in fact I've never had a rude comment while in Lolita yet. The most I've gotten is a few stares and even then it was only one time.

Once I went to an old folks/after surgery care home dressed in Lolita. I think I made several people's days, so as awkward as I was because I don't handle attention very well it was really heartwarming. Everyone kept talking about how they missed women dressing up and how wonderful my clothes were.

>> No.8162141

>>8159075
Maybe another of your relatives had told your uncle you dress funny and made a little bo peep comment when doing so, and therefore as soon as he saw you dressed funny he got reminded of it? My mum told my aunt that I wore lolita, and the next time I turned up at her house in western, non-Victorian goth shit she asked if it was "that lolita thing".

>> No.8162152

>>8162071
This. I will never understand feeling the need to say something about it. I expect it, sure, but the lack of shame people can have because they see something unexpected is beyond me. And honestly the people around those people tend to seem pretty embarrassed of them. No always but a fair amount of the time. It just seems so obvious that you could talk shit when I'm out of ear shot and seem way less obnoxious.

>> No.8162154

>>8159415
Yeah. With gothic it's that Western goths already have sexy associations (fetish wear, corsets, sexy death chixxx stereotypes, and it certainly doesn't help that western goth has actual overlap with the fetish scene and burlesque) and with sweet it's that people think dressing younger than your age must have a fetish association. Plus the whole Alice/Bo Peep thing - both are from children's stories and one is a child in the story. With stuff like classic, I think some people struggle to comprehend why someone would wear something modest but that also stands out, and just end up assuming it's because you're an attention whore who gets your kicks out of being secretly dirty or something. Kinda like how there's a market for nun porn and burkha porn? Also some people associate the silhouette and some colour schemes.

>> No.8162164

>>8159524
Yeah, I understand what you mean. In that sense, lolita may be more modest than shorts and a tank top, but it's a heck of a lot less modest than jeans and a T-shirt, both in terms of skin coverage and how much attention they'll catch. I come from a religious background and my family actually think lolita is immodest because the skirts are "short", and only acceptable with long sleeves and opaque tights. Trying to argue with them about it is just like being a teenager telling them "Well I may drink and have a boyfriend but I'm not a pregnant heroin addict!" - they don't approve of either. I know other people from Muslim and Orthodox Jewish backgrounds have had similar family reactions.

>> No.8162168

>>8159543
>The pigtails definitely give some people barely-legal-naughty-Catholic-schoolgirl-as-portrayed-by-a-40-year-old-pornstar vibes, unless they're part of a gigantic wig that looks more costumy than porny. I get more negative comments on cutesy hairstyles than on my clothing.
This. I feel like I can't win as far as hairstyles are concerned sometimes. I've had negative reactions to all of the following

>anything hime gyaru-ish with a bump and curls
Makes people convinced you're in a costume or play, dressed up as Marie Antoinette, etc.
>black straight wigs with a straight fringe, especially long ones but also bobs
"Oh anon you look so Japanese!" / "Why are you pretending to be Japanese?"
>natural hair with pigtails
Childish, aforementioned schoolgirl porn associations (see also: sailor collars, plaid, knee socks and Mary Janes).
>large twintails
Even a few years ago when these were less frowned upon, those in the know would think you were weeby and those that weren't would think it looked childish (because pigtails) or clownish or costumey.
>spiral curls
Assume you're a living doll.

To a much lesser degree, straight bobs of the length commonly sold are also a problem for me. They either make me look childish or I get the Japanese comments. One time someone told me I looked like "that girl off Lazy Town" (and no, my wig wasn't bright pink). The safest styles are wavy-ish, in shades of brown, ginger or blonde, and between chin and bra strap length.

>> No.8162170

>>8159545
Not that anon, but I think it wasn't until lolita that I started associating modesty purely with coverage. Before that, the last time I heard people hung up about the word was to do with church stuff when I was a kid, and they definitely used it to mean both unrevealing and unostentatious.

>> No.8162179

>>8159603
All of this bait getting all of these replies.

>>8159937
At least she was enthusiastic, I guess? I used to get this sort of reaction from mallgoths sometimes, but they're a dying breed now compared to weebs.

>>8160196
Do itttt!

>>8160226
Also a chick and I agree, but flattering =/= immodest so it's a moot point.

>> No.8162182

>>8160545
Perfect.

>> No.8162183

>>8160593
That's really cool, but what non-Japanese city do you live in where lolitas are seen on a regular basis?

>> No.8162184

>>8159524
>>8162164

Lolita comes from a culture when showing cleavage is vulgar, but showing legs is completely tame, cute even. It's a giant clash with my own culture, when a complete opposite happens - exposing or accentuating your legs, thigh or butt is considered "slutty", be it miniskirts, shorts or tight jeans, yet only the most conservative of people would pay attention to bare shoulders or low neckline.

Which is horrible for me, because I love OTKs. I can wear a very frilly outfit with thights and not get a single stare yet tamer clothes but with a 3-4 cm gap between my socks and a skirt become some sort of reprehensible fetish wear.

>> No.8162186

>>8161815
That's kind of flattering and kind of a little bit weird. But I can sort of understand? When I was younger and I only knew about lolita from the Internet, but had never met one in real life (my area didn't have a comm back then and I probably wouldn't have known how to find the comm if it had had one), I would have spilled spaghetti everywhere at the sight of someone who dresses like that in real life.

>>8162044
I was just thinking that. If this is true, damn your friend took a risk.

>> No.8162189

>>8162117
I kind of like getting repetetive and unoriginal comments because I'm used to them so by now I know how to respond. I'll take ten "OMG Alice in Wonderland!"s over one really weird comment I've never got before that throws me so much I don't know how to respond to it.

In a way, I'm kinda grateful for all the ageplay shit-flinging on BtB. Because of that I had my wits about me enough to just laugh and say no when someone confronted me with that one IRL, whereas if that had happened to me before I started browsing BtB and /cgl/ I would have been so shocked I wouldn't have known how to respond.

>> No.8162198

>>8162049
>mfw I like deep forest green and purples.
>brands hardly ever do anything in those colors

>> No.8162200

>>8162131
>why does everyone say "Alice in Wonderland" as if that was her name?
It's like people calling the Doctor "Doctor Who". Even as a Britfag I hear the incorrect version more often than the correct one.

I can see why people do it though. They might worry that otherwise you'd think they were talking about a friend of theirs called Alice who looked like you or some shit.

>>8162152
I struggle to understand why people act this rude too. Sometimes I see people on the bus or train or in the street that I think look completely awful, but I'd never think to shout at them (or even to make a snide comment to my friend until they were out of earshot). I don't get why you'd shout things at a stranger in the street.

>>8162168
I get the Japanese comments whenever I wear my hair in twin buns, unless I do it in a really Princess Leia-y way. It's annoying because twin buns are the easiest way for me to keep my natural hair off my neck in summer.

>> No.8162202

>>8162198
I love deep green, but I'm not with you on the purple (it's an I like it, but it looks horrible on me so when brands release it it's a colourway I can't wear thing). I've actually just purged all the purple from my wardrobe, because it's not worth having a purple bag, blouse and set of accessories just for the sake of two dresses that are unflattering on me anyway.

>> No.8162207

>>8162202
Usually the only shade of purple brands come out nowadays is some sort of pastel shade. I want bolder colors!

>> No.8162211

>>8162207
I've seen a few bold purple releases from Taobao brands but big brands don't seem to bother.

>> No.8162220

>>8162131
>The most I've gotten is a few stares and even then it was only one time.
That's very lucky. I've not had any horrible reactions yet, but I've had lots of people laughing behind my back or trying and failing to look subtle, and some people pointing and trying to take photographs (people sem to forget glass goes both ways and will stare and point blatantly if they're going past you in a car or bus or if they're in a restaurant and you're in the street). It really seems to depend on the area though - in one city near me people are really blasé about it and I don't even get many stares (it's got an active comm and a high hipster population so maybe people are just used to it?), while in another town people will openly point and laugh.

I've never got the Little Bo Peep comments though, and only one count of Alice. I nearly always just get asked if I'm in a play or going to a party, or occasionally compared to things like steampunk or goth. I feel like someone should make a scorecard so you can collect normalfag responses - is there a normalfag response bingo already?

>> No.8162222

>>8160120
Be a normal person and try not to sound so redundant.

>> No.8162242

>>8162044
>>8162186
Friend 2 wasn't wearing lolita. Still risky though, agreed.

When it happened, the burger fell apart on the guy's head and the bits ended up on the ground. Before he even reacted, she was back inside the restaurant. Lucky timing.

>> No.8162246

>>8162222
The quads have spoken

>> No.8162247

>>8162184
Where do you live, anon?

>> No.8162251

>>8162071
I've seen obese women whose asscheeks were literally falling out of their miniskirts and I didn't say anything because heckling a stranger is even trashier than being dressed that way. I wonder if the people who do this are always this obnoxious, or if lolita brings out something 'special' in them.

>>8162184
Same here. It doesn't help that I'm super pear shaped with wide hips and thick thighs so anything that stops halfway up my thighs or higher is edging towards hoochie mama territory, even if I wear opaque tights with it. I'm tiny up top so I can wear spaghetti tops with bra straps showing without anyone batting an eye but the moment someone catches a flash of thigh it's public indecency.

Fortunately lolita is pretty much the perfect fashion for my body shape, but sometimes I really just want to show off my cute legwear collection...

>> No.8162284

>>8162220
Actually I've always been shocked that I don't get worse responses, I live in a small town with a lot of conservative people, and my town is COMPLETLY surrounded by what I've heard called (and have to agree based on my experience of living here my whole life) some of the most dangerous and shitty cities to live in. My guess is that I'm gonna get bad reactions eventually and that the only reason I haven't so far is because so far I've been selective about the places I wear my clothes to.

>> No.8162333

>>8162220
>normalfag response bingo
Please be real.

>> No.8162340

I would occasionally wear lolita to high school, everyone knew I dressed weird and since it was modest, the administrators never said anything about it. Some of them even liked it. This one time though
>wearing Candy Sprinkle salopette
>go use the restroom
>on my way back, 2 technicians working on elevator see me
>1 keeps saying "Hey little bo peep! Wheres your sheep?"
>the other one says "I know about this fashion, it's from Japan right?"
>holyshithemightactuallyknow.jpeg
>"Living Doll fashion right?"
>goddammit.jpeg
I didn't feel like explaining the difference, so I just said yes and went back to class. He seemed pretty nice about it, so it wasn't too bad.

>> No.8162346

>>8162333
Someone start a new thread for this!!!

>> No.8162360

>>8162333
>>8162346
24 responses + a free center space = a bingo card.

>> No.8162374

>>8162360
Here ya go:
>>8162373

>> No.8162392
File: 57 KB, 239x303, http%3A%2F%2F38.media.tumblr.com%2F3052f46d26380ca73e2880e0c99c185d%2Ftumblr_najymaul8y1tithvso1_250.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8162183
Upstate south carolina. We apparently have a fairly active and large comm, surprisingly, and i just didnt know about it. I guess since downtown greenville has gotten so nice its turned into a decent place for them to do meetups?

> tfw you want to join them

>> No.8162663

>Friend and I wearing lolita
>Decide to get some Starbucks
>Walking out, get some rude comments from a guy on his way in
>I brush it off
>Friend (who is in a full OTT sweet co-ord mind you) goes
>"Wow, look at this little faggot. Is it autism awareness month already?"
>Guy's face look like she hit him hard
>Awkwardly sip on my frapp and walk away with her

He'll probably think twice before being rude again, but yeah. Words you shouldn't say outside of the Internet.

>> No.8162670

>>8162663
I forgot to mention that he was one of those obviously gay gay guys (which is why faggot caught him off guard). Maybe he thought he was funny or sassy with what he said, but my friend doesn't really take that stuff kindly.

>> No.8162680

>>8162663
>>8162670
Wow, I'm all for bitchy responses, but that shit was worse than what he said. You're right, maybe you should give your friend a lesson about how to properly respind instead of being an utter asshole and making us all look bad.

>> No.8162687
File: 180 KB, 400x360, 1419142830057.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8162663
>using 4chan insults IRL

>> No.8162691

>>8162663
Dude sounds like an asshole, but man, your friend's response is very "You know you've been on 4chan too long when...". She needs to learn to keep that edgelord shit outside the Internet. Should have just said "Fuck off" or something.

>> No.8162723

>>8160330
>>8160350
I second that. Share a story.

>> No.8162733

>>8158175
Why the fuck would they be proud of you?

>> No.8162745

>>8158890
You think it's cringy because some people don't know every brand of an obscure fashion trend?

>> No.8162772

>>8159589
>>8159595
>>8159604

This place is so different, do you girls go to other boards as well?

>> No.8162781

>>8162772
Of course. Those anons are mostly just teasing though. It's /cgl/'s way of coping with the all too familiar 'tits or gtfo' and 'BTW I'M A GUY (from /fit/)'.

>> No.8162785

>>8162781
Are you REALLY a girl? Or am I being tricked again like that time I went to /a/

>> No.8162786

>>8162772
Plenty of us visit other boards, but this is pretty much the only (non-porn) one with enough female posters that letting on that you're a girl doesn't get you mobbed. The "men gtfo" mentality is a not-entirely-serious reaction to the raids we occasionally get where dudes go around posting "yo guy here blablabla I'd never fuck you so should feel bad" like >>8162520. We're totally fine with men who aren't obnoxious assholes.

>> No.8162787

>>8162663
Jesus Christ your friend sounds like an awful person. Who the fuck does that?

>> No.8162793

My Asian gf would like to try Lolita but shes incredibly, almost stereotypically, shy.

Any advice?

Guy here BTW.

>> No.8162797

>>8162793
> inb4 bait

>> No.8162803

>>8162793
Maybe start with something cheaper from Taobao or Bodyline and see if she likes wearing it around the house, first. When I'm coming out of a slump and feel anxious about wearing it out, I dress up cute to just hang around the house first just to get used to it again. Going out with someone you're comfortable with (in her case you, or maybe a friend) also really helps.

>> No.8162804

>>8162785
If you go on lolita threads, it's at least 80% female posters. Brolitas are pretty rare, maybe a handful for each comm.

>> No.8162810

>>8162804
>comm.
What's a comm? Community?
Also what does EGL stand for?
I wish to learn you language

>> No.8162815

>>8162810
>comm = community
>EGL = elegant gothic lolita
Check out hellolace.net and the fyeahlolita blog for tons of info, and maybe lurk lolita threads. This isn't exactly an educating newbies thread so continuing like this might end up annoying people.

>> No.8162816

>>8162786
ugh that guy is so gross, i'd never fuck him

>> No.8162818

>>8162815
Oh ok, sorry

>> No.8162819

>>8162772
yeah this is board-specific teasing. there are a lot of shitpigs who come in to bait and derail threads here, mostly because /cgl is well known as a pretty female-centric place. it gets old fast.

i post on a lot of other boards here on the chan but this is the only board i'm on where mentioning that you're a grill doesn't get you lynched.

>> No.8162823

>>8162819
>where mentioning that you're a grill doesn't get you lynched.
You know that's most likely because people think you're disrespecting the anonymity, right?

>> No.8162829

>>8159146
I have a job and I wear lolita. I'm a programmer though, so they don't give a shit what I look like, they just want me to be competent.

>> No.8162832

>>8162819
We come here because its cute when you get really mad and annoyed with us. You're our toys.

>> No.8162850

>>8162832
> toys
> implying you're not just lonely and desperate
It's okay to admit that you crave our attention.

>> No.8162852

>>8162823
>>You know that's most likely because people think you're disrespecting the anonymity, right?
>muh 4chins
>muh anon

It's so silly that people take that shit so seriously. And by silly, I mean autistic.

>> No.8162853

>>8162850
You want our attention. You dress up in that really qt way for us

>> No.8162878

>>8162663
>>"Wow, look at this little faggot. Is it autism awareness month already?"
Bitchy OTT sweet lolitas give me life

>> No.8162897

>>8162793
Where are you located? Try to see if there's a decent local lolita comm she could join. Do you guys go to conventions? Besides wearing it around the house, she also might feel better trying to get used to wearing it out and about if she starts at conventions first as opposed to travelling to her first meet-up by herself (which can be daunting especially if she's shy).

>> No.8162979

>>8162786
Pretty much this. I crossboard on 3-4 different boards but I never say I'm female anywhere but here if I can help it.

>> No.8162988

>>8162793
Seconding >>8162897, it'd be better for her to have a comm encouraging her than you. It might be difficult if she's shy but you're gonna come off as weird if you're pushy about lolita.

>> No.8162994

>>8162852
I really doubt that's why grills get jumped on anyway, I mean, people don't get jumped on for posting their vague location and posting your gender is about the same category of not-entirely-anonymous-but-still-unidentifiable.

>> No.8163064

>>8162392
Really 0.0 I live in the lowerstate and because of how slow posts were on their facebook, I never thought it was worth it to drive 4 hours to their occasional events they announce. I always assumed it was really tiny and inactive. Well I guess it makes sense. one member was giving away a bunch of free lolita and goth shoes a few months ago because their store/webshop tanked or something like that.

>> No.8163066

>>8162687
I tried that on Whisper and made someone cry and write me an essay about how my comments made them want to kill themselves.

>> No.8163080

>>8163066
I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. Jesus.

>> No.8163114

>>8162793
>>8162988

Yeah, also it would be better for her to ask questions and get advice from a comm as opposed to you just relaying all the information, she might feel more comfortable talking to other girls about it, etc. Nothing wrong with you trying to help her at all but yeah it would be easier for her that way. Try searching [your state/city/county/area] + lolitas on FB to see if anything comes up or if you tell us your location someone will probably know of or be in a comm near you. Other FB groups she might find helpful are Rufflechat and Lolita Fashion Mentoring. The comms she finds might be more receptive to answering lots of noob questions from her but besides that also definitely lurk groups (and ask questions if she has any), read lolita blogs (fyeahlolita on blogspot is a good one) and soak up information. My first tip though is always, always reach out to your local comm or at least the closet comm near you.

>> No.8163729

>>8162183
Not that anon, but. Im from Brisbane, Australia and see a lolita every time i go into the city, without fail. Its wonderful, because the city is incrddibly alt-fashikn friendly.

>It also kind of sucks because for every cute lolita theres 30 girls with the same cheap HellBunny dress and caricature makeup.

>> No.8163752

>>8163064
I haven't sent a request to their facebook page yet, so I didn't know it was so slow, but I've heard a lot of people talk about seeing them places. A friend of mine saw them out one day and chatted with them a bit, and they talked about their comm and such. So I'm assuming they just have more frequent informal small gatherings or something, and the page is just more inactive?

>> No.8166507

>>8162200
Errrr, calling the Doctor that is a new thing. In classic Who he was most often referred to as Doctor Who.
And I only know this because my girlfriend grew up watching classic re runs and I only watched modern.

Every time I call him the doctor I get a look

>> No.8168459

>>8158175
>look like a slut in lolita and that it screams "rape me"

what the actual fuck???

I wish I could hug you anon

>> No.8168517

>12 year old me wearing lolita
>full bodyline, feeling fresh af
>go to visit my nana to show off my new style
>nana sits me down and believes that I'm a part of some cult and gets mad at me
>apparently I'm now a "fat slut" who is going to attract pedophiles
>never wore lolita out again

5 years later and I still love lolita, plan on wearing it out soon and just not giving a shit what people think

>> No.8168546

>>8168517
B&

>> No.8168587 [DELETED] 

>>8168517

>> No.8168590

>>8168517
lel underage B&

>> No.8168599

>>8168546
>>8168590
Birthday in February?

>> No.8168611

>>8158175
Are your parents my parents

My mom called me a slut when I was wearing a short skirt.... over pants, in a punk outfit.

Like mom I'm wearing pants

Full length pants

With combat boots

I look like a dude in this outfit

What are you on

I've learned to ignore them, though. All they ever do is question me and the things I like. If they look at me and don't insult what I'm wearing I know they think it looks good.

>tfw they wonder why I had self-esteem issues

>> No.8168621

>>8162198
Surface Spell Lyfe, anon.

>>8162200
The Doctor thing is just because the joke was that he's "The Doctor" and the response to that would be "Doctor Who?"

Like they say it a lot of times throughout the series, I don't really see why you'd be bothered by it.

>> No.8168624
File: 233 KB, 457x581, 1379727027511.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8168611
>skirt over jeans

>> No.8168634

>>8168624
>punk
>never said they were jeans
>pants=/=jeans

>> No.8168706

>>8158624

Okay...so I only found out about lolita a few years ago....so cut me some slack....but....

>Con going on in my town, I wasn't going but was seeing lots of people dressed up for the con. Sat down on the MAX next to a girl dressed in a dress with cute bunnies and ducks on it. She looked like she had made the dress out of Beatrix Potter fabric. Tell her I really like her Beatrix Potter cosplay and that I love her books. Tell her I wish I had sewing skills like hers as the dress is gorgeous.

>Girl says "Thank you." but looks absolutely mortified and gets off at the next stop. I was completely confused.

>Few months later, "discovered"CGL and realized the mistake I made.

I'm still not sure how I offended her, but apparently it is offensive to compare her outfit to Beatrix Potter. :( Although, Lolita at that time was not very well known in the states, so I was slightly flustered at the girls reaction. I would have loved for her to say "Oh, no. This is Lolita fashion." Instead of acting like I had just smeared my poo under her nose.

>> No.8168718

>>8157784
Aww, your dad sounds cute.

>> No.8168727

>>8158672
Haha, what a fag.

>> No.8168847

>>8159407
You're the best, pls mary me

>> No.8168879

>>8168706
it's not the beatrix potter, it's the fact you said cosplay

>> No.8168924

>>8160499
I agree it's rude to stare and take pictures of anyone, what you should do instead is google (where necessary) what you saw in order to stalk the relevant communities, wait until they post their pictures online and then anonymously trash them on /cgl/; and finally if you really want, follow their online activities relentlessly to a near stalkerish degree and then get really angry about everything they do, whilst making sure to tell everyone about it at every opportunity.

Geez, this is the proper protocol, get it right.

>> No.8168928

>>8168706
Also, lots of people don't like to say "lolita" in front of strangers for fear that they will associate it with the book. It's sometimes easier to just let people think it's a costume or that we're going to a party or whatever because I'm not trying to explain a complicated street fashion to a complete stranger and I don't know how judgey they are.

>> No.8168935

>>8168928
In which case, you can just call it a "japanese street fashion", adding "from Harajuku" to the end if you like. Most will people 'get it' right then and won't ask any further questions. You don't have to call it lolita, you can avoid the awkward flustered-ness of the associations with the book, and if people ask even further you can just say it's inspired by victorian fashion or something.

>> No.8168945

>>8168879

In tram with hundreds of other cosplay. Gets called cosplay. Gull overreacted and could have explained herself.

I've had this happen too, but I've never gotten offended by it. You can't expect everyone to keep up with all fashions, especially as one as decorated as Lolita, to normies it's going to look like cosplay. When people comment, you can explain what Lolita is, educating them. They will in turn educate others.

But it in all honesty, it still is cosplay/cosart. I like prom gowns too, but if I were to start wearing them on a regular basis, I cannot expect others to realize what I am doing. And if someone asks if I'm going to prom, getting offended is retarded. You can't expect everyone to know everything you are doing, you need to educate them.

>> No.8169036

>>8168924
This sounds like a girl I know of, actually. Except she was already into lolita and did this shit.

>> No.8169241

>>8168945
Man, if I could wear prom dresses everywhere, I would. I have so many poofy knee length ones, they're just so cute and I keep finding them for like 5 bucks at goodwill.
Do...do you think I could coord them like lolita dresses and get away with it?
Not wearing them and calling it lolita or anything, but wear them with tights, pettis, a wig, etc?

>> No.8171227

>>8169241

I'd say go for it and post pics! :D

>> No.8171323

>>8162663
>All these people thinking this is bad

Back to tumblr, please.
He acted like an autist so he got treated appropriately.

>> No.8171436

>>8159407
You are wonderful and horrible and trashy 10/10 would gossip with you all night and read btb with you in the morning

>> No.8171445

>>8171323
People don't act like that in the real world unless they have problems.

>> No.8171469

>>8158788
>expensive vegan restaurant
>didn't take the job?!

damn girl, if it were me i would have accepted in a heartbeat. all that money for burando.

>> No.8172516

More stories! Now with less bait & Tubmlrisms!
Coming soon to a board near you!

Anydamnways.

>be out at a meet
>2 other girls with me, walking through the city
>just casually chatting
>suddenly feel an arm on me
>thought it was one of the girls touching my shoulder to get my attention
>turn my head
>arm drapes around both my shoulders
>some random dude has his arm around me as we are all still walking and takes a selfie
>"uh. sup bro?"
>still have not stopped walking
>guy just walks away after snapping his selfie with me
>girls are like "Do you know that guy?"
>"No."
>Fucking bizarre.

I thought it was one of the other girls, otherwise I would have clocked him. It all happened so fast, though.
Whatever. Some weirdo has a random photo of him and stranger posted on FB somewhere.

Bonus story.

>out in some Liz Lisa yesterday
>at sporting good store with husband
>kid is running around and is continually passing us trying to get a look at husbands stretched ears
>inb4 disgusting. k.
>I don't mind. Just kids being curious.
>go one aisle over from husband and just be browsing
>not paying attention
>suddenly feel a hand touch my ass and the back of my dress go up
>be looking all cute and lady-like, but let out a loud and surprised "JESUS FUCK!!!"
>turn and see the lil shit child booking it for his parents at the front near the cashier
>husband had just turned the corner and saw the whole thing
>just hear him say "Oh you.. NOPE."
>powerwalks after the kid
>large, punk black/latino man angrily approaches parents as kid tries to casually hide behind them
>chase after husband, hoping he doesn't make a scene
>"Excuse me," says quietly but angrily to terrified parents. "It seems that your son thought it was okay to touch my wife's butt."
>parents "omg" and apologize.
>father yells as kid as they leave "What's wrong with you??"
>husband is fuming to the cashier about how people need to watch their kids

It'd be understandable if the kid was like, 4, but kid looked 8 or 9.

>> No.8172527

>>8160596
The ivory colourway does actually lend itself well to classic.

>> No.8173505

>>8172516
Well at least the parents told him off instead of being like whatever about it. I work with kids so it's only too often that i see shitty patents that don't give a fuck what their kids do, which is why those kids tend to do in the first place

>> No.8174417

>>8159512
Haha, I thought the guy's leg was her leg.

>> No.8174427

>>8159860
Er, the navy colourway looks more like classic. I've never seen cameo motifs in anything but gothic and classic before.

>> No.8174478

>>8174427
The motifs aren't what makes a dress one thing or another, it's the stylization. There are plenty of classic dresses with food motifs, sweet dresses with cross motifs etc.

>> No.8174522

>>8171469
Yeah it would of certainly be nice, but I'm super shy and have horrible social skills so I don't think I could of worked at a restaurant.

>> No.8175233

>>8171227
That smiley face makes this whole post suspicious...

>> No.8175461

>>8168621
I have two things from surface spell, both are terrible quality. I wish they where better.

>> No.8175494

>>8163752
From how many Lolitas show up at cons, I know we have a decent amount, I just assumed the comm was disorganized because of the Facebook page. The ones I met and talked to at the last con I went to seemed okay. There were definitely at least half a dozen that were well dressed. I felt like a nasty beast in my cosplay compared to them.

>> No.8175802

>>8175461
Really? Which things? The Surface Spell dress and blouse I have are nicer than all my other Taobao items (not Krad, but Infanta, R-Series, Magic Tea Party, HMHM, Yolanda...)