[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 58 KB, 384x384, unnamed (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8128855 No.8128855 [Reply] [Original]

and why?
Cosplay and lolita-wise.

>> No.8128875

>>8128855
Depends on too many factors. What character are you cosplaying? Do you look your age? Are you doing it for fun or to be as accurate as possible?

If you're just cosplaying for the sake of cosplaying than there is no age limit imo

>> No.8128887

When you stop having fun

Just like every other hobby

>> No.8128897

>>8128855
As long as you are happy it is just fine

But lolita

If you can't fit brand anymore move the fuck on.

>> No.8128901

I'm a 25yo lolita and I just got my first serious job. As a manager, I need my team to respect me so I can do my job. Problem is 'mI work for IT so it's difficult enough being a girl, I can't imagine what would happen it they found out about my hobby.
I think my time has arrived.

>> No.8128911

>>8128901
I don't know about that, tech nerds would probably love that kind of thing if they found out. And they probably won't connect the dots if you're discreet about it (unless they're also into it), particularly if you work appearance differs greatly from your lolita one.

>> No.8128918

>>8128901
It's so unfair that only now I have enough money to get my rarest dream dresses, though.

>> No.8128931

>>8128911
Unfortunately there's facebook and I can't keep them out forever. Besides, I'm getting old. I don't think I can postpone it for long anyway.

>> No.8128936

>>8128918
Maybe you shouldn't quit then

>> No.8128948

>>8128931
I do not put any cosplay or lolita stuff on my facebook or post pictures anywhere else under my real name. It's not hard.

>> No.8128953

>>8128901
Are you serious? Someone in charge where I work (IT) openly shares pictures from larping/reeanactment with others. Guys in IT are often nerdy, who would have thought and knowing your are into some nerdy hobbies probably won't do any more harm than putting on a bitch face and trying to be super professional.

>> No.8128954

>>8128901
I'm 24 and work in an engineering office as a tech. I just started with lolita. Don't give it up if you still love it and look good. Just don't add your coworkers to fb, or don't give a shit. I'd be surprised if anyone gave you a hard time about it in a professional environment, especially one as friendly to nerdy stuff as IT generally is.

What you do in your free time should have no impact on the respect you get at your job. Just do your job well.

>> No.8128959

>>8128953
I'm IS, guys here are a lot older and very traditional. Nerds, very much yes, but not in a fun way.

>> No.8128965

When it comes to lolita, you can keep wearing sweet if you look young but you should switch to a more mature style when start to look old. Nothing is worse than seeing an old gross looking hag wearing sweet.

>> No.8129027

I am a teacher approaching 30. I still wear lolita. Never at work though. I am not going to give up what I love just because I am getting older. My work clothes and lolita clothes are completely separate.

>> No.8129061

>>8128959
If you try to be hard and command their respect, they will hate you. If you share your interest with them and open up, they will truly like, respect, and admire you. They will really think you are cool and it will be a better work environment.

>> No.8129075

>>8128931
Just create another facebook with a nickname and post your lolita pics?Simple and easy.

>> No.8129135

>>8128901
>I'm a 25yo lolita and I just got my first serious job.
>>8128931
>Unfortunately there's facebook and I can't keep them out forever. Besides, I'm getting old. I don't think I can postpone it for long anyway.
>I think my time has arrived.

Are you serious? You are only 25 and just started you first serious job. How is that "old"??
Also supporting what the other Anon said: Just create another facebook account, maybe censor your face if you feel uncomfortable. Keep you internet appareance low.

Also:
What's with all these seagulls and the "anyone over 20 is getting old!!!" and "if you are over 25 you are basically a grandma"-mentality? Sure, once in a while you have older people posting but in general everyone thinks life stops the moment you hit 30. What do you think other people do, especially in pricey hobbies?? Is there a rule you have to convert into a boring normal fag with zero fun once you hit a certain age?
I can understand not feeling comfortable with certain stuff or that once you get past a certain age certain things are a bit ridicoulus but hell, if I read stuff like >>8128901 I feel incedribly depressed.

>> No.8129152

>>8129135
You have to grow up and act as a real adult someday, anon.

>> No.8129164

>>8129152
>real adults have no hobbies
Wow you must either be very young yourself or a very dull adult. Adults have all the expensive hobbies because they have all the money. Who do you think buys $500 Japanese dresses, $1000 designer jackets, $2000 suits of armor? It's not just crazy teenagers.

>> No.8129167

>>8128931
Are you seriously that dense? Your whole life doesn't have to go on your facebook, and you can always create a second account. You can have hobbies and - surprise - NOT post outfit photos etc. everywhere.

>> No.8129177

>>8129152
Maybe it's time you got started, because only children are obsessed with the concept of "being adult".

>> No.8129194

>>8129152
Anons we found the seagull with the "Anyone over 20 is getting old!!!" mentality.

>> No.8129197
File: 93 KB, 342x238, boble.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

cosplay: stop when you want to. if you dont like it anymore, stop. if you still like it, keep going.
lolita: the same. if you have the money and want to, dress however the fuck you want. no one can stop you.
i really dont care how old i am, i will always cosplay. i will always wear my sweet rori desu~!

>> No.8129201

>>8129135
I think it's more of judgment from others And not being able to pull it off because wrinkles and such.

I think that lolitas could transition into maybe a more classier style once they hit that point. Like old Victorian wear.

>> No.8129244

>>8129201
Why would you care if some strangers on the internet are bitching because you are 30+ and have some wrinkles and wear Lolita? It always fascinates me how Lolitas can wear the fashion without giving a fuck about normalfags or what most other Lolitas think but as soon as you get a bit older its "OMG I am OLD now and I have some minor wrinkles and stuff, time to care about what others think about me and stop a hobby I deeply care about because a seagull said I look old!!" And if your comm acts like shit, ditch them and enjoy tons of burando (as you will most likely have a stable job and greater income than younger lolitas) alone and in peace.

>> No.8129249

I guess we're just supposed to die when we hit 30 or so

>> No.8129276

I have thought about this a lot, getting older and still love sweet. Classic, gothic and styles like aristocrat don't appeal to me, I think it just has to do with my personality because I love cute and colorful things. Even before getting into lolita, I would buy clothing from the kids section because they are cuter and more colorful than adult clothing.

I think I will keep on wearing sweet as long as I'm comfortable.

>> No.8129290

I don't know about you guys but I'm 25 with a good but time consuming job. At the end of the day I just want to watch or play something, not get over a sewing machine or dremel. That's what basically got me to stop

>> No.8129337

I'm getting 27 p. soon and I just started seriously getting into Lolita. I look good in it, I highly enjoy it and I do not plan on stopping anytime soon. Maybe I will shift from more sweet looks to classic with time, but actually I don't see any problems continuing to wear what I want as long as I know when it's appropriate and what looks good on me.

So in my opinion, there is no time to stop if you enjoy yourself and know how to dress yourself.

>> No.8129418

>>8128855
That guy is super kawaii and happy though, he's pretty cool. Look up VICE's mini-documentary on him

>> No.8129725

>>8129337
Late loli high five. I find myself shifting from cosplay into lolita as I get older which was surprising. Suddenly wearing pretty clothes with resale value and having tea and other shenanigans is much more appealing than spending hundreds in hours and dollars for something I'll wear once and hate after.

>> No.8129756
File: 606 KB, 440x237, 1421393289203.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8129725
I'm making the transfer from cosplay to lolita too. It is really nice to be able to spend the same amount of money I'd put into one cosplay on a various amount of clothes and accessories that I can mix and match and get wear out of even when I'm not at a con.

I'm 21 and still in school, there's no way I'm going to stop before I'm able to put as much time and money as I'd like to into this hobby, which won't be for a few more years at least.

>> No.8130599

I love you, cgl, but sometimes I think you live in a different universe.
Big companies will hardly accept your differences, specially those you chose. Dressing like a victorian kid is not a "grown up hobby". Serious business men and women decorate their houses for a hobby. They read, they collect coins or whatever. They don't put on 5 layers of clothing and go out for tea. Nope. Sorry to break this for you but even if your co-workers like you, forget about those sweet promotions.
Not everyone has rich parents you know... Some of us have to work really hard to move up in life and sometimes it focusing on something you don't love or giving up on something you do.

>> No.8130942
File: 38 KB, 625x626, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8130599

>> No.8130986

I don't even know how anyone <20 can even get seriously into lolita. When I was in highschool I didn't make enough money to pay for much more than my gas and food. When I was in university I was just trying to stay out of debt. Now I am out of university I am finally able to get into lolita as I have a stable full time job and extra money/time to spare.

>> No.8130997
File: 24 KB, 236x354, 6b47cd9d6508acf0e1e0addd3a5e140f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8130942
It might well be but it's a pretty common opinion nonetheless.

You can definitely get away with flamboyantly nerdy hobbies and still have a career though, you learn how to compartmentalize these things. It's only ever going to be an issue if you're a public figure with a certain amount of presence, but even then if you have strength of mind and charisma, as long as you're not hurting anyone, you can get away with pretty much anything. If you make money you can also afford to give no fucks when your hobbies have no bearing on your ability to do your job well.

>> No.8131015

>>8130599
>>8130997
No one is talking about coming to work dressed like that. And lolita has two other big style categories that are much more socially acceptable.

>> No.8131245

>>8131015
anon I don't think they thought people were talking about bursting into their place of work dressed as Chiyo Sakura with a husbando dakimakura tucked under one arm and throwing peace signs with the other. Also >>8130997 seems to support the idea of doing whatever you want anyway, as long as you remain professional when you need to.

>> No.8131249

>>8129201
>wrinkles
>You can have wrinkles and grin wrinkles at any age.

Come on anon.

>> No.8131304

You stop when you're no longer finding joy in it, regardless of your age. I'm a newb, I've only been doing this shit for a year, but I'm only just starting to make a decent income. No way I'm quitting when I can finally afford to throw down for burando every month.

>> No.8131357

Why would I stop enjoying a hobby just when I'm getting the financial stability to really enjoy it? I'm 21 and just started wearing lolita a month ago, I'm not gonna stop doing that shit.

I also work IT and most of my co-workers are not normal fags. I know a manager who cross dresses, honestly if you keep your hobbies to your personal life then it shouldn't affect your work at all. Also don't add co-workers to your FB to begin with, and you don't have to post all of your coords on FB either. Stay low key if you're worried about people from work knowing.

>> No.8131418

>>8128931
How can you work in IT and still be this dumb?

>> No.8131654

>>8129135
Just lel like the rest of us who are 25+, rocked lolita past that age, and still enjoyed it for the remainder of our youth as opposed to those who sold off their wardrobe because they felt too old and now regret they did because they can't get the time to enjoy lolita between being 25+ and ACTUALLY old back.

>> No.8131659

>>8129201
Lolitas look just as crazy in classic as they do sweet. And as you get older, the crazier you are. Substyle does not matter, just wear whatever the fuck you want because you are going to look nuts regardless.

>> No.8132032

>>8130599
>collect coins

Sure glad I didn't got the business man route then. How is collecting coins a fucking hobby? You're just gathering a bunch of guns together.

That's no more a hobby that collecting belly button lint. Seriously, how in the fuck is that a hobby?

>> No.8132049
File: 58 KB, 939x562, hokage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this is the only pic i can find of him atm but this guy is goes to our local cons and he's the best

>> No.8132052

>>8129152
So... you're saying that adults are only allowed to
>eat
>sleep
>poop
>work
....Fuck, no room for lolita.
I guess grownups really ARE like pokemon.