[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 127 KB, 604x346, 1327008266771[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8124704 No.8124704 [Reply] [Original]

Last thread went well. Let's start round two.

Share your best advice and tips you've learned along the way.

Best advice regarding:
>Getting the best deal in the dealer's room
>Essential things to pack
>Organizing photoshoots
>Cosplay emergency pack
>Advice on meeting celebrities
>How to get the best photos

etc.

Let's all share and help one another out!

>> No.8124745

I'd like to hear about how people travel with their cosplay stuff: props, styled wigs, big dresses, armor, etc.

>> No.8124769

>>8124745
> props
I usually find a way to build them so they can be compacted. Sometimes it doesn't work out so I have to carefully wrap it up and just give it space in the backseat/trunk.

> styled wigs
On the wig head if it's really fragile, or if not, just in a bag. I just restyle whatever was messed up onsite.

> costumes
Folded up pretty widely and lightly so that I don't end up with too many wrinkles in the fabric.

> contacts/makeup
In a plastic baggie. I have a smaller kit that I bring along to the convention with me, either on my person or in coat check. I tend to need to air out my eyes or retouch my makeup during the day.

For travelling lolitas out there, how do you bring your petticoats? I tried rolling them up, but they end up depoofing by the time I get to the con...

>> No.8124884
File: 12 KB, 200x200, 13317012-reclens-MPS Uni-Dose Ampoules-10ml x 5-200px.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't bother carrying around a bottle of contact solution on the day.

I just buy a box of the saline solution vials and keep 3-4 in my bag for any emergencies when I need to clean my lenses.
They're not resealable, and are a bit dearer but it just frees up so much more space! Also, there's enough solution in one vial for several people.

>> No.8125772

tips on getting a cosplay gf?

>> No.8125802

>>8125772
THIS

Also the best way to get a good deal from vendors is just waiting until the last day and haggling the price down. Offering to pay in cash usually makes vendors more cooperative.

Look up the item online to get a rough estimate of its real worth. Vendors will likely charge way higher than its market value.

[Vendor Price] - [Retail Value] = Cost of Convienence

If you feel the cost of convience is justified, make the purchase.

Waiting a couple days also lets you sleep on a purchase so you don't wind up regretting an impulse-buy.

>> No.8125809

>bathe
>please bathe
>use deodorant, carry it around
>cologne/perfume does not replace not showering

If you're not staying in a hotel/your hotel is far from the convention centre, and you feel yourself starting to get stinky, take a whore's bath somewhere. You may get some looks, but having people side eye you for washing your pits in the bathroom is a lot better than having them side eye you because you stink.

>> No.8125818

>>8124745
One tip I hears about transporting wigs was to put them on wig heads and place them in an old sewing machine box. The box has a bottom platform and then a cover where the actual wigs would be.

I havent done it, but I plan to in the future because I have really involved wig for one of my upcoming cosplays.

>> No.8125834

>>8125818
Build-a-bear boxes work pretty well for transporting wigs on wig heads

>> No.8125853

Old haggling tricks
-the more you buy, the better the discount you can tru for.
-if you're okay with possibly loosing. Quote a price and have cash in hand. It might pressure the vendor into a quick sale even if its 20 dollars less then what they want
-save maybe buys for sunday. If they are gone by then it was never meant to be. they might be lower in price to.
-if a vendor quotes a lower price and trys to quickly upcharge you as your about to pay. Call them out and say 'honor your first price or i walk' dont get goaded into 15 more bucks
-"Uhh that'll be ___ with tax" is bullshit. unless you dont mind getting nickel and dimed just to get them to lower to a price on the sticker
-most important rule of all. If they don't hagge. Don't haggle. Some people just wont

>> No.8125991

>>8125853
Some good tips, thanks

>> No.8126027
File: 1.52 MB, 1440x2244, 1400303865670.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just remember to stay hydrated and eat enough. Grapes are my favorite convention snack because they're mostly water and can be really refreshing. I also take extra vitamins, maybe they don't really do anything but I feel better off taking them anyway.
I like to take some simple games (like cards or Jenga or something) to play when you're resting or charging your phone. ALWAYS bring a phone charger, even to a local con.
Make sure your shit's not a bootleg (unless you want one..)
Little sewing kit with safety pins and super glue can come in handy.
See if your con has an event app, you can just add things to your do list from there.
SET UP ROOM/CAR RULES. Even if you don't think you'll need them because you trust your friends, DO IT ANYWAY.

Pic is from another con planning thread and would really recommend it!

>> No.8126231

>>8125853
Good tips. However the tax thing is not bullshit. Some vendors build tax into their prices, others don't. If you don't have a seller's permit for the state you're vending in, you can and will get kicked out. You can also face legal repercussions. So if you nickel and dime a vendor about tax, you're just giving that vendor an unnecessary headache.

Now a note for bootlegs. If the price seems to good to be true, it's a bootleg. Take note of who you buy from. If you see the vendor at smaller shows but not big ones, they likely sell bootlegs and got kicked out of big shows. If you know a vendor sells legit figures, just ask them who at the con is selling bootlegs. They usually know.

My best advice for deals is getting friendly with one or two vendors. If you make big purchases with them year after year, they will give you big discounts. Some vendors post help wanted signs, and will let you work for a bigger discount. However avoid the huge manga/dvd booth that's run by a fat Asian dude who speaks like Don Vito. He doesn't pay what he promises.

>> No.8126250

Cons are LOUD so put your phone on vibrate and keep it somewhere you can feel it if your waiting for calls and texts from your con friends.

If you tend to get wig headaches take ibproufen before going out on the floor and take 2-3 more every 4 hours to keep it at bay.

>> No.8126789

>>8125772
just bee yourself

>> No.8127195

>>8125772
The way I got mine, was by not looking at cons. I found her in the wild.

>> No.8127272

>>8126027
Man I love this chart, it's so helpful.

Also:
>Stay hydrated
>Carry a mini sewing kit with you/anything you might need if your costume breaks
>Check out events before the con and know what you want to attend
>Buy stuff on the last day of the con, especially artist alley.
>Eat real food. All that shitty Asian junk isn't going to give you the energy you need.
>If you're staying in a hotel, unpack what you need to. It will help you get ready easier and quicker in the morning.
>Fucking bathe and use deodorant.
>Carry a bag. Things to keep in your bag: phone + charger, water bottle, deodorant, repair kit, feminine supplies if needed, makeup, wig comb, snacks, wallet, meds, etc
>Avoid con raves like the plague

>> No.8127286

>>8125772
>See girl in cosplay
>Go up to her
.Complement cosplay
>Small talk about said cosplay, and if she made it
>?????

Profit

>> No.8127320

>Always, ALWAYS, tip the hotel staff from the maids to the bellhops and even the person that checks you in. They'll be more kinder to you and see you above those who don't tip and cause headaches during the weekend - they might even let you slide with asking for extra keys because you're packing at capacity.

>When tipping the maid staff, write down a small note thanking them and list if you need any additional items like towels, trash bags, glassware, or coffee.

>When running a gathering, have a list of what you want to do instead of doing it on the fly. Sure, there might be variations depending on the situation but people tend to listen to those who know what they're doing.

>If you can afford one an the convention will allow it, bring a megaphone. It helps on the vocal cords which are always dead by the end of the convention.

>Scout ahead and see what's around the area for not only food but also places were you can buy emergency supplies. This'll help in your budgeting because you know what's in the area and how much it'll cost you.

>If possible, shop a grocery store for morning and lunch food as well as snacks. You can go with a cup ramen lunch with some crackers and trail mix on the side, but don't let that be your only source of food and energy during the weekend. Plan to at least go out and get something decent that's not fast food, especially when the evening comes around and the convention starts to slow down ie Masquerade or major events you're not interested in.

>> No.8127333

Vitamin C might just be a placebo, but I try to take a tablet of Airborne the morning before stepping out.

>>8124745
>wigs
I drive to conventions, so for intense wigs I get a cardboard box (like the ones used for toting two water jugs), duct tape the bottom of wig head to the bottom of the box, and pin the wig to the wig head. Wighead doesn't shift around or fall over and I can have other stuff in the backseat without worrying about it smashing into the head.

>> No.8127334

>>8127320
>>If you can afford one an the convention will allow it, bring a megaphone. It helps on the vocal cords which are always dead by the end of the convention.
what on earth are you talking about

>> No.8127341

>>8127334
Forgot to mention it's for running gatherings

>> No.8127350
File: 12 KB, 300x232, eye-drops-A-300x232.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8124884
Carrying on with this sorta idea, I find that it's a really good idea to bring contact lens eye drops. Eight plus hours in your lenses is no fun, especially in cold and/or dry weather. It can save you from having to take your lenses in and out too, which can be a huge pain in the ass if you're a blind bastard like me and you have to fumble about with glasses and lens cases.

Also when you put the drops in, don't face up and drop the drops in from above, pull out your bottom lid and drop them in there. Stops you messing up your eye makeup if you miss and the nasty sensation when the drop hits your eye at 60mph.

Seriously, for the three quid odd you'd be coughing up for a bottle of eyedrops (£3.10 at Boots, yo) that personally last me a couple months a bottle I'd say you'd be better off abandoning the vials for the con floor and taking eyedrops instead, keeping a big bottle of fluid in the room for cleaning and soaking.

It's all personal preference, though, really.

>> No.8127427

>>8127341
Not the anon who asked (I've been at gatherings where the organisers had megaphones and those go EXPONENTIALLY BETTER), but I had a humorous mental image of a cosplayer plopping down in the lobby next to someone else and pulling out a megaphone to talk to her.

>> No.8127582

BUDGET AND SAVE SOME GODDAMN MONEY.

Do some grocery shopping and buy real food instead. you'll feel better.

Drink water. Hell buy this water bottles in bulk.

If traveling in a large car or suv, consider bringing a cooler for food for travel.

>> No.8130580

>>8124704
Go back in time to back to the future when con's were good.

>> No.8131244

>>8125772
T-tips on getting a cosplay bf?

>> No.8133736

>>8131244
Show them your shimapan

>> No.8133803

See if the con hotel has bonuses for staying there like discounts are the restaurant or a con supporter program.

Also, take hella advantage of stuff like continental breakfasts. Don't be an obnoxious dick about it, but don't feel bad for slipping an orange for later or something. A lot of that food gets thrown out anyways.

>> No.8133818

>>8131244
right here bae

>> No.8133822

>>8125809
>tfw i can go literal a week without bathing and still smell just fine with re-application of deodorant.
if im fucking then ill need to shower because obviously lots more juice is flowing. also my snatch gets smelly.

>> No.8133827

>>8126027
that chart is a fucking joke.
do you faggots actually need to be told what to carry on a trip?

>dont forget to drink water!
>dont forget to carry some underwear!
>dont forget your phone charger!

jesus.

>> No.8133829
File: 323 KB, 1600x1000, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8133822

>> No.8133833

>>8133827
> implying you never forgot something while packing
It's a checklist.

>> No.8133847

>>8131244
>be gril
>talk to guy

Like that

>> No.8133950

>>8131244
Avoid betas and thirsty niggas.

...actually, play mind games with them

>> No.8133978

>>8133950
what kind of guys do you have your eye on usually?
autistic faggots?
normal faggots?
4chan faggots?
straight faggots?

>> No.8133993

can confirm everything said about vendors... convention oldfag here (yeah, I've been doing this for a long time)

Always pack double what you think you'll need because you'll no doubt eventually end up in that horror story where it will save your ass.

If a 3 day con and you're cosplaying: Pack your 3 days of cosplay + accessories. Also pack 5 days worth of normal street clothes. One for each day of the con and extra incase something happens to either your clothes (stains, dirt, rain ,etc) and for travel to and from the event.

Also, pack extra strength liquid gels of your preffered pain killer. Almost all of them come in liquid form now and they activate much faster than traditional tablets in the event you do end up in some pain or headache or whatever on the con floor.

Always pack a pair of flip-flops to a convention (plain shitty flats for the ladies are okay as a substitution). They are great for walking around on con floors without violating 98% of con's barefoot policies.

Last but not least: Bring swimwear! Swim trunks for the guys and bikinis or one pieces or whatever for the ladies! You never know when a pool party will bust out with your friends or that new group of cosplayers you just met! Also, hottubs are great for relieving stress and pain in feet and the body, and most hotels won't let you sit in normal clothing and stick your feet in the tub. (can confirm, used to work for a mid-high end international hotel chain; looks tacky and classless)

I'll cover hotels in another post (I worked for a major chain and know all the hints and secrets)

>> No.8134001

>>8133978
Autistic ones because lack of understanding social cues.

Try hards are also another group to look out for. Niggas that wanna get in your pants and ain't sly about it. I personally enjoy laughing at them.

>Last but not least: Bring swimwear! Swim trunks for the guys and bikinis or one pieces or whatever for the ladies! You never know when a pool party will bust out with your friends or that new group of cosplayers you just met!

This. omfg this.

I'm looking foward to your hotel tips and tricks bro. Love me some insider info.

>> No.8134005

>>8133993
Thanks for the tips, looking forward to hotel tips.

>> No.8134017
File: 100 KB, 231x444, 1421823560498.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tips on simply finding people to hang out with?

I'll be going to an out-of-state con by myself soon.

I'm not into anything diehard enough to be a part of a "fandom" like Homestuck or Attack on Titan.

I don't really cosplay.

would prefer to hang out with the opposite sex, but at this point I'm honestly not too picky.

wat do?

>> No.8134036

>>8134017
Riding solo huh? I'll help you out.

>Tips on simply finding people to hang out with?

Most, if not all conventions these days have facebook groups and pages. Talk and interact with people there and explain you're new to that convention. Some folks may even add you as a friend to further network with you. Be active as much as you can in those groups.

>I'm not into anything diehard enough to be a part of a "fandom" like Homestuck or Attack on Titan.

Is there anything in general you are into? That could help out even if you're not into it like a die hard. Do you have any pop culture or fandom shirts that stands out? that can help.

>I don't really cosplay.

Don't worry, not many people cosplay at conventions.

>would prefer to hang out with the opposite sex, but at this point I'm honestly not too picky.

Hang out with both genders. Speaking of which, don't be a creep.

>> No.8134081

>>8133993 here, time for hotel insider secrets! (part 1 of 2)

>see if you know anyone who works for the hotel chain that the hotel you'll be staying in
most hotels have programs where they can get friends and family discounted rates that will either be at the same price (for a better room) or lower than the con rate.
some employers (major companies) will also offer hotel discounts on some hidden web employee portal, so be sure to ask your HR people or peek around as well, as those discounts can add up! most hotels also have AAA rates, be sure to ask, sometimes these are rates sometimes they are discounts, sometimes they entitle you to free shit.

always, always tip! hotels will treat you better, give you better priority, and you might get a free upgrade on checkin.

always sign up for the hotel loyalty programs! they are so, so worth it, especially if you travel to a lot of conventions per year. I have diamond/platinum status with all of the major chains simply due in part to loyalty hacks and the amount of travel I do annually for conventions. a lot of the hotels give free amendities based on your membership, and you get more and better ones based on your level, including free food, bar drinks, suite upgrades, and more.

Most hotels have a premium status challenge. starwood (who I used to work for) requires no status with any other hotel: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/08/22/spg-elite-status/ and from there you can get Hyatt http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/05/26/hyatt-diamond-challenge/ and you can always call the dedicated loyalty telephone number for the other chains (IHG, Marriott, Wyndham, etc) and ask them about theirs.

(part 2 coming)

>> No.8134089

>>8133993
>>8134081
Part 2 of 2 on the hotel tips:

use expedia/trivago/booking sites but DON'T BOOK! most hotels have a rate match guarantee that they are obligated to honor if you manage to find a cheaper rate than the normal rate on one of those sites. When booking your hotel, DON'T CALL THE NATIONAL NUMBER! Toll free great when you have loyalty status as they will bend over backwards and kiss your ass, but always call the hotel, they are able to play with rates and amenities and their own system a hell of a lot better than the person at the call center. Only call national if you're trying to do a price match.

Any decent hotel will have small emergency sewing kits... ask for one or two at check in (some have been known to run out during convention weekends)

leave compliments with the hotel managers whenever possible after the con! sometimes you'll get a nice little loyalty points or rewards program incentive/thanks for doing so, and that person will likely get the same recognition and bonus as well!

Hotel staff are people too! They are extra busy during con weekends, and most hotels (especially ones that have never had an anime con) have no idea what their staffs are in for come con weekend and end up trying to call extra people in to handle the load. Keep this in mind when you ask for things like blankets, or order room service, or ask for a cart at checkout day!

>ALWAYS ASK AT CHECKIN FOR AN EXTENDED CHECKOUT!
Most hotels will gladly give you extended checkout with no cost or no hassle when you ask at checkin! Also, having loyalty memberships with some chains gets you extended checkout automatically depending on your membership level. If you don't want room service during the weekend, check-in is also the time to let them know about this, as they can put that down in the computer, and in the event you forget to or lose the sign for the door, they won't accidentally knock while you're in the shower (has happened to me twice).

>> No.8134116

>>8127320
>they might even let you slide with asking for extra keys because you're packing at capacity.

I got extra keys at no upcharge at a recent con. Not sure if it's because I made polite conversation and was well groomed/dressed when I checked in, or because the lady at the front desk's little brother just got into the graduate program I'm finishing (she asked when she saw my out-of-state driver's license) and I ebulliently told her that I loved the program and hope he has a great time. Either way, you can underestimate the power of basic social graces and having a good sense of humor about yourself at a convention.

>>8134089
The Gaylord banned extended checkout at Katsucon. I can see why, but it's still a pain.

>> No.8134118
File: 188 KB, 926x896, untitled #44 by nicholas prior.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how do i into a convention if i just want to party and get fucked up with weebs?

im not awkward at the least, im just not the type to approach a group of people and ask them to let them into their room, thats weird. I dont steal, rape, or murder, and I have more than enough money to pay for shit.

i live in LA so there must be weebs who will let me party with them right????

>> No.8134123

>>8134118
Girl or guy? If you're a grill, it's easier to get invited if you just mingle with other people. If dude, there's always the rave.

>> No.8134126

>>8134116
I refer you to my spiel on hotel loyalty programs. They guarantee you those amendities, and if Katsu Gaylord banned em, you can have one hell of a conversation with Marriott International about it after the con and you're guaranteed to get some sort of compensation. I've been treated that way at some conventions because the hotel manager decided to not allow anyone to do it regardless of status (the ones that were in the company I worked for were not happy because I work for a corporate branch of the the company and would be reamed out the ass)

>> No.8134131

>>8134118
>make friends
>ask new friends about any party
>losing all your friends
>losing them to go drinking and driving

YEAHHHHHHH

>> No.8134135

>always sign up for the hotel loyalty programs! they are so, so worth it, especially if you travel to a lot of conventions per year.

FUCKING THIS!!!
Rewards programs are life savers.

>> No.8134153

>>8134118
If you are in L.A. then you probably have a great chance at partying at a convention.

Network with the older folks and bring you own booze. Bringing your own booze will help your chances. Also as somebody stated earlier, if you're a chick, then the odds are much more favorable towards you.

>> No.8134176

>>8134153
>>8134123
>>8134131
so just lurk the roommate forums/groups and hope to meet there?
is it too straight forward to say that i do drugs and drink?
the last thing i want to be stuck with a no-fun allowed group.

>> No.8134191

>>8134176

>so just lurk the roommate forums/groups and hope to meet there?

Pretty much.

>is it too straight forward to say that i do drugs and drink?

Probably. I'll just ask those who look like they party for drinking and drugs shit.

>the last thing i want to be stuck with a no-fun allowed group.

Avoid weeaboos and straight edge fags.

>> No.8134998

Anybody else have hotel rooming tips? Going to be rooming for the first time this year.

>>8134089
>>8134081
Great btw, thanks for sharing.

>> No.8135516

As I sit here on the toilet, regretting the atomic hot wings I just ate, I've been reminded of another tip.

Eat stuff that won't possibly give you stomach problems.

Having a digestive emergency while in a complex cosplay is a nightmare.

>> No.8135591

>>8135516
So avoid fiber and hot foods.

>> No.8135713

>>8135591
Why avoid fiber? Doesn't fiber help with the digestive system?

>> No.8135747

>>8127350
You do know you're meant to use them within a month or so of opening, right?

>> No.8135767

Tips on making make up last all day? My foundation tends to crease under my eyes/eye make up smudges.

>> No.8135773

>>8135713
It makes u poop

>> No.8135781

>>8135773
It doesn't make you poop, it bulks up the stool. It can actually make you constipated if you don't take in enough water.

>> No.8135784

>>8133829
My face reading that exactly, anon. And here I thought that delusional smelly con goers thinking themselves too good for a daily bath and basic hygiene was a myth.

>> No.8135812

>>8135767
Setting powder and spray.

>> No.8135832

Do you use makeup setting spray? I use Ben Nye final seal for both facepaint and cosplay makeup. If it's a hot/humid con, I'll pop out a compact once in a while to check my face and maybe dive into a washroom to re-do makeup. A travel pack of makeup wipes is pretty useful for erasing smudgey areas.

>> No.8135841

I know it's not smart, but if you're gonna scrimp on meals here's how I like to do it: I really like Luna bars. It's a nutrition bar that's good at satiating hunger...usually I eat one with a bottle of water and some fruit (like, a piece of fruit like an apple or something like a fruit cup) and a little something else (a pastry maybe or more fruit). Even something like picking up a yogurt parfait and a bottle of water should be good enough to last you through until lunch. I'll also eat a Luna bar, or pretzels, fruit, chips, etc. if I know it might be a long time between meals. I wouldn't live off Luna bars all weekend though, they satiate hunger as a snack, not as a meal replacement, which is why if you eat them in place of a meal you should really add other things to it as well. They're also helpful if you're trying to just make healthier choices at a con (as opposed to eating like, ramen or mcdonald's for breakfast all three days.)
Another thing is bringing a cooler with you to the hotel room or snagging a fridge if you are able (sometimes hotels run out). You can just fill it with ice from the ice machine pretty much all hotels have. You could pre-make sandwiches or buy premade meals from the supermarket and store them in there or bring materials to make sandwiches and store them in there as well, I think it's pretty handy. Also just good for storing leftovers you go out to eat during the con. Plus, you can even use it as another surface to dump shit on top of. They can be a little bit annoying to carry around to and from the hotel so I guess it depends on what you're gonna do with it if you think it'll be worth it. Be careful with how much you bring though and be good about packing things in ice because certain things can spoil quickly.

>> No.8135843

Let's talk alcohol.

The number one thing is know your limits. It's not fun to spend a con puking in the toilet or other places. Also try to keep it mild, do not bring a bottle of raw vodka with you. It won't end well. Beer or other such things works beat.

Most cons here don't let you bring your own booze with you, and will check bags on the entrance. This is easy to bypass, though. Just pour it to a different bottle, preferably not see-through one at home or hotel or whatever. The guards won't usually check what's inside. But again, know your limits.

If they happen to sell alcohol at con? Don't bother unless you really have to. It will be expensive as balls.

And most importantly. Stay hydrated. Drink water. It helps so much in a long run. I know most cons don't have this, but the ones I've gone to, have free water stations all over the con area. It's godsend.

And I'm not gonna proofread shit, it's 2 AM and I didn't even plan on writing this

>> No.8135849

Invest in a wireless/emergency battery pack for your phone. Don't forget to bring the charger for said battery pack with you, as well as bringing your phone charger with you into the convention. Even if you got your charger on you, you may not always be able to get to a power source for whatever possible reason.

>> No.8136003

>>8135812
>>8135832

Thanks! I've used a setting spray in the past but had to ditch it because of allergies. I'll give BN a try, I've heard good things!

>> No.8136210
File: 410 KB, 500x364, 3475886722.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8131244
Be romantic, hold hands, and find someone who makes you happy!

>>8134017
If there are tabletop gaming rooms, try and get in with a group. Most of the time you'll find a table that needs players (read: warm bodies) and since you'll be stuck with them for at least 10 minutes, it's a good way to make conversation.

>>8135516
As a corollary of this, look into grocery stores near the area. Usually there's a Sobeys or something within bussing distance; go there and stock up on vegetables and shit to keep in your hotel fridge. Or snacks.

Food is always overpriced and the wait times are about as long or longer than you'd spend on that little excursion.

>>8135843
>water
This is a life tip. Get into the habit of drinking water constantly; it helps with literally everything.

>> No.8136336

>>8125772
>>8131244
Don't go to a con with the intent of getting a partner, just with the intent of meeting people in general. Talk to people and take the time to be nice to them. Make a large friend circle, you never know who you'll be introduced to. It also helps if you cosplay from the same genre as a person you want to meet because you'll have similar interests. (ie anime with anime, vg with vg, etc.)

Also, don't ever assume someone is hitting on you right off the bat if they start a conversation. Get confirmation about that shit (most of the time people are just trying to be friendly) and don't be an ass.

I complimented a cosplayer who looked super uncomfortable because they were in a new costume and got ditched by their friends and bam, acquired boyfriend.

>> No.8136385

>>8135843
buy a bottle of coke, drink half of it, then refill the other half with whatever liquor you got.

no one will suspect a thing.

>> No.8136397

>>8135843
Also if you're going to mix drinks in your hotel don't forget to bring cups.
I always forget cups. Sometimes there are baby ones in the bathroom but they are not enough.
Strawberitas are good con drinks though if you're a baby like me and hate the taste of beer. They're small and easy to pack too.

>> No.8136579

Always eat real food and drink water before drinking booze. For every cup of booze you drink, try to drink about two glass of water afterwards.

Bring your own alcohol. As stated eariler, hotel alcohol isn't cheap. Protip: If traveling to a state that has higher alcohol taxes than your own, buy your booze at your homestate. If the con's state booze taxes are lower, wait until you get into that state to buy your booze.

DO NOT FORGET ABOUT MIXERS! Juices and sodas are just as important as your booze. Learn to make some cocktails while you at it. Believe me, you will be popular if you know a few basic mixed drinks. Many chicks like fruity cocktails btw and you can never go wrong with knowing how to make hard drinks for the dudes.

DO NOT SERVE MINORS! DO NOT FUCKING SERVE MINORS!!! YOUR ASS DO NOT WANNA CATCH A CASE!

>> No.8136598

Forgot a few things:
If you get invited to a room party, bring a full decent bottle of booze or two with ya to offer and don't forget to tip/donate.

If you smoke weed, just smoke outside. Believe me, you don't wanna be a nigga and have half your floor smelling like weed. Be respectful about that shit. If it can be help, vape or make edibles beforehand . If it can't be help, smoke in the bathroom, turn the fan and shower on (warm) and throw a towel under the door. It might reduce the smell a little bit.

>> No.8136918

>>8136579
>>8135843
kek its obvious you guys have gotten hammered and fucked someone you wish you hadn't

>> No.8136946

If you're not stuffing your hotel room, on day one unpack all your shit and hang up your clothes/costumes in sets. Then, every time you change, put the last set back in your suitcase.

Come Monday you'll only have to throw pyjamas and toiletries in your bag and you can have that half an hour of packing back.

>> No.8137058

>>8136946
This is actually a pro-tip. Sunday is always the worst day and being able to pack quickly means less stress, which is good when you're exhausted.

>> No.8137133

How do I make friends at a con? I am attending a con this year, been there the past 2 years as well but I mostly just went to panels, took pics, looked at goods etc. I'd like to meet people I share interests in but making friends, especially with strangers is hard for me.

>> No.8138177

Pretty common shit but I'll post anyway.

-Always pre-reg. Tickets cost less and you don't have to wait in a [most of the time] long-ass line.

-If you can, get a vendor/exhibitor badge. You won't have to wait in any lines to get to the vendor hall and the vendors themselves will be a tad more generous with their pricing for you.

-Sweating? Aside from the obvious (deoderant, showering, etc) you may want to invest in a thompson tee. Life savers. Mint oil or sage water can be very useful, if you're not allergic.

>> No.8138366

>>8136918
...yeah. Get the hammered and wasted part down but have yet to get the regetful drunk sex with a random con slut part down. Welp I got two cons back to back in march so i best work on that.

>>8136946
Hmm. never thought of this. good advice.

>> No.8138384

Winter convention tip: Newer hotels with forced air heating systems are VERY dry. After 3 days your lips will be chapped and your nose bleedy.

Invest in a travel humidifier. Some hotels will even have a few to lend to guests.

>> No.8138393

Get and pay the bill and arrange an automatic checkout from the hotel the night before. Late at night there are no lines at the front desk and bored staff are happy to help you. Then you just leave your room at checkout time and you're automatically checked out.

Much better than waiting in line or calling on the phone 5 minutes before noon when the entire hotel is doing the same.

>> No.8139055

>>8138393
the first actual advise posted here

>> No.8139523

>>8138393
And to add to this.

The night before checkout (and before you go to any crazy parties) if you drove to the con pack your car as much you can ahead of time to minimize trips and what you need to carry during the actual checkout.

This is also helpful if you need to take the stairs going down

>> No.8139719 [DELETED] 

>>8139523
Agreed. If you're staying at the hotel, and stuck in the overflow parking lot, move your car to an empty spot near the exit closest to your room (or to the elevator, depending on how much luggage you have and how many flights up you are.)

Much easier to lug your bags down a few flights then fight over the handful of bellhop carts.

>> No.8139726

>>8139523
Agreed. If you're staying at the hotel, and stuck in the overflow parking lot - late at night, after most of the daytrippers have left, move your car to an empty spot near the exit closest to your room (or to the elevator, depending on how much luggage you have and how many flights up you are.)

Much easier to lug your bags down a few flights then fight over the handful of bellhop carts.

>> No.8139750

>>8133822
correction, you think you smell fine. in reality you smell like B.O.

>> No.8141488

>>8139750
No I really do smell fine. I don't sweat very much either. Never had a problem with body odor. Just one of those things I guess. The last time I felt myself smell was when I went on vacation to Venezuela, so fucking humid.

>> No.8141674

>>8136598
Ok, I understand the fan and the towel under the door, I've done it. But why turn on the shower? Just makes it humid in there and gives the fan more work to do, doesn't it?

>> No.8141677

>>8135843
> know your limits

Don't be the faggot puking in the hallway. Nobody likes that guy.

>> No.8141681

>>8141674
It humidifies the room "cleansing" the walls from the lingering smell. Fucking amateur hour in here. Just smoke your pot outside like everyone else.

>> No.8142121

>>8133978
>>Went to a midnight release at a mall
>>Chat with a guy next to me
>>A tall guy infront of us hears us talking, turns around makes conversation
>>Dude starts complaining about his long hours of work and how hard his job is and how tired he is.
>>Asked him about his job
>>"I work at Papa Johns over there! *Points across the way* From 7-1pm Mon-Wed.
>>Are you kidding me..?
>>Guy asks me if I'm in college/do I have job.
>>Explains I'm a lobsterman fishing 4-5 days a week 4am-7pm at night in summer and 2am-8pm in the winter.
>>Just got home from haul (fishing) it was Oct for X/Y event-- and showered and drove 2 hours away for midnight release.
>>Tall guy trys to say his job is more stressful and shittier and full of drama. Y-YOU DUNNO HOW HARD IT IS TO MAKE PIZZA AND TAKE ORDERZ FROM A BITCH BOSS!
>>Lol bet it ain't as bad as my father.
>>Shorter guy next to me burst out laughing and says "Hey pal, I'm pretty sure this girl doesn't want to hear about how "hard" your job is compaired to hers."
>>Mfw tall guys face got flustered and he turned around.
>>I died laughing.
>>My friends in line died laughing, still talk about Papa Jhons guy for inside joke.

I hate guys who try hard and complain about shit. Also betas who never worked for anything in their lives. Muh-muh parents paid for muh car! Pfft.

>> No.8142149

>>8141681
>Fucking amateur hour in here. Just smoke your pot outside like everyone else.

You clearly don't live in NorthEast or MidWestern America. That's not really doable during winter cons.

Also not really doable in cons held in the middle of a big city. (Exception - Otakon, there are all sorts of shady side alleys to duck into just a few blocks from the con.)

>> No.8142625

This question isn't really /cgl/ related but I have a friend who is going to his first con with me and he asked a question that I couldn't answer for sure (I haven't been to many cons myself so I can't really confirm)

He asked if he brings his sketchbook with him will anyone be curious and want to see it

We're going to anime Boston which I guess is reasonably big so I told him it probably just depends on who is gonna be there but I wanted to know if there's anyone else here who has a more clear answer than my shot in the dark

>> No.8142727

>>8134131
That was so bad it was good

>> No.8142876

>>8142625
It honestly depends on where you're sketching. Sitting down somewhere with friends around you? No one will bother you. Looking a little lonely and sketching in on the floor or something is kind of a universal sign of "befriend me" at conventions, which isn't a bad thing at all, it's a conversation starter. I'll be flat out- I have porn in my sketchbook. Lots of it. Pages of titties. Do not bring that sketchbook and start sketching on it in public. Bring an acceptable sketchbook. If your friend is worried about your skill level, they shouldn't be. Even at my crappy art stages, people still told me I was really good. I even had a few artists on break from the AA come over and ask me if I wanted some tips, I said yes, and they helped teach me how to draw some stuff I was struggling on. Sketchbooks are a fantastic way to meet people at conventions. If you're worried about what's in your sketchbook, say that your sketchbook stuff isn't very good, but they can find your finished stuff at wherever you post art.

>> No.8142914

>>8138393
Have I been fucking up by not formally checking out? My friends and I just leave before checkout time. Never been charged or anything, is it just more of an annoyance to the hotel staff?

>> No.8143024

>>8134089
> use expedia/trivago/booking sites but DON'T BOOK!

This deserves repeating. I've got a friend working at a night reception at a hotel, and the booking sites are basically seen as organized racket, even by luxury hotels across the world. Even if you've got to haggle to get the same price, you'll probably be treated better as a haggler than a lazy racketter.

Also, a question. I sweat quite a bit. Used to stink quite a hefty amount too, and mostly in denial about it until somebody I esteemed was straight to me about that and gave me good advice. Also as it turned out, regular showers weren't even enough, and I have to take my deodorant in a pharmacy. I still sweat just as much, but at least it doesn't smell anymore.

It is however still an issue when I have to wear a wig. Even in winter cons, after the first couple hours, it gets super scratchy and drenched and generally terrible. Any advice for that?

>> No.8143036

>>8142625
>>8142876
OT, but I've had someone sketch a picture of me in cosplay. It wasn't great art, but I was super flattered. Back on topic, it's fine. It's just like those people who bring their 3DSs, you don't bother anyone and no one bothers you as long as you're not in the way. If you're just sitting alone though, people are more likely to pass by and talk to you. It's less because of the sketchbook, more because you're, well, alone.

>> No.8143056

>>8142121
People like you always make me humble about my job when folks like you grind and work fuckin' hard at risky ass jobs.

Fuck these crybabies like the dude in your story. "BAW I MAKE PIZZA WORKING EASY ASS HOURS DESPITE YOU'RE ON THE SEA RISKING YOUR LIFE!"

>> No.8143099

>>8134081
Most convention hotels block discounted rates during conventions. Why give a cheap room to an employee or their friends if they can get full price from an attendee?

I used to work at a Comfort Inn. When I got to CTcon I stay at the one ten minutes up the road and get the weekend parking at the garage. Not even working at the Marriott would get you a discounted rate at the attached hotel.

>> No.8143107

NETWORK. It really is the people you know.

I am friends with most people who staff nearby conventions. Means I can get a free badge for at least a day, saving me $30 to just pop in and hang out with friends.

I used to work at a hotel and know people who currently work at hotels. Because I am willing to drive 10-20 minutes to and from the convention, I can get a hotel room for around 100 for three days. Split that between some roommates and save loads.

>> No.8143110

>>8142914

You just let them charge your credit card without even looking at the bill?

>> No.8143160

>>8143110
It's always been slipped under my door or emailed to me the morning of, then I compare it my statement a few days later to make sure they match.

>> No.8143173

>>8134017
tbh just go up to people and compliment people on their cosplay if theyre not busy, talk about the series or if theyre drawing or such. its not that scary but some people arent friendly so just back off if they show that and wander around and approach someone welcoming. panels are good too!

>> No.8144612

Any tips on meeting celebrities?

>> No.8144669

I skimmed through the thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but my friends bring a slow cooker with them to AWA each year and it's a dream. They packed the ingredients before hand and started making chili in the morning before we got into cosplay. Came back after a full day of the con to a beautifully smelling room and a ton of chili. Slowcookers aren't too annoying to bring around if you're driving and some are small enough to fit into luggage. I'd definitely recommend it.

>> No.8144684

>>8144612
Control your fangasms and just treat them as normal people. It's cool to gush but the real way to get on their good side is to have a casual conversation with them.

>> No.8144689

>>8144669
You know most hotels don't allow this, right? (fire hazard, smell permeating into other rooms, etc) That particular hotel obviously doesn't care, but anyone reading this post and getting bright ideas should contact the hotel ahead of time to be sure.

>> No.8144692

>>8144689
I had no idea actually. The cooker was on a very low setting and it was there for the entire day, so all we got was a chili smell. I'd definitely try to see if the hotel allows it but at least it's pretty much confirmed for AWA's main hotel.

>> No.8145157
File: 13 KB, 240x338, 14182_754043574637843_3509598383459335412_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8142121

Can I see a picture of your arms? Are you a swol chick from the work you do? Oh baby.

>> No.8145357

>>8136598
To add to this...

If you're going to do other illegal drugs at cons be discreet about it. Do not bust out your coke in the middle of someone else's hotel room without asking. Keep it to yourself. Not everyone is super comfortable with drugs around.

>> No.8148011

>>8144612
Don't buy photo ops. Waste of money and you don't even get any time to actually interact with the talent

>> No.8148038

>>8141674
Also, the toilet paper roll/fabric softener combo. Make a magical dank smell absorbing tunnel by blowing the smoke into a cardboard tube with with a fabric softening dryer sheet over the other end. Do so near a vent or window.

Or, just smoke in your car.

>> No.8148077

>>8134118
>I dont steal, rape, or murder
That should be a given

>> No.8148693 [DELETED] 

Going to fanime in May, going to be my first con. I'm not even a weeb, nor do I know what to, I'm excited, though.
I guess if I had one question, it'd be:
How weird do people dress? Can I wear makeup and cat ears as a guy and not have people pay too much extra attention to me?
Is it even remotely normal to do that? I'm not fat or disgusting.
Also, is anyone else going?

>> No.8148707

>>8148693
Yes... and no. People won't pay attention to you because of what you're wearing (which is tame in comparison to some costumes), but they will pay attention if you're more or less attractive. Girls have a thing for cat ears too.

>> No.8148711 [DELETED] 

>>8148707
I like any attention that isn't people wanting pictures. Thank you.

>> No.8148716

>>8148711
It might be a little worse than a few innocent pictures...

>> No.8148718 [DELETED] 

>>8148716
I seriously hate pictures, though. I love hugs and being petted.

>> No.8149569

>>8148077
I'm from LA, people NOT from LA have this belief that we are bad people (this is true) but I'm not :D

>> No.8149644

>>8141488
I'm the same way anon, I believe that easily

>> No.8149645

>>8142625
Except for when I was sketching in a panel no one has ever asked me what I was drawing or tried to peek!

>> No.8150424

>>8149645
Well yeah, you were at a panel. The others were probably there for the panel, not your sketching.

>> No.8150612

if the hotel fucks you over
ask for free breakfast
ive gotten in 6 times so far

>> No.8150999

Hotel related, but I'm confused, Me and a friend booked two rooms that we're splitting between everyone, I took the total of the two rooms and divided by everyone depending on days..But do I subtracted the one night deposit me and my friend paid from the total or what?

>> No.8151091

>>8150999
Leave the deposit in the total that you're charging people, in case the rooms get messed up and you lose that money. It's easier to ask for a little extra money now than to try to get people to pony up after the con.

If the hotel returns the deposit, then hold onto it either as a "organiser's fee" for yourself and your friend (since you're handling the stress of organising two rooms) or apply it to the next room you book for the con to bring people's prices down.

>> No.8151142

>>8150612
What? Don't most hotels in the US offer complimentary breakfast anyway? I don't get this advice

>> No.8151202

>>8151142
Inclusive breakfast is a Bed and Breakfast thing, not a hotel thing. You won't find it at large/medium sized hotels, though some offer it as an add-on to your room.

>> No.8151214

>>8151202
Every hotel I've stayed at from east coast to west coast, two to five star have offered some kind of breakfast, continental at the EXTREME least.

>> No.8151352

How likely is it for me to actually make a friends without intruding on a clique if I don't feel like cosplaying to the next con?

Last time I tried to make friends with my local FGC since I wanted some people to play fighting games with, and they got annoyed with me, I guess because I was trying too hard.

>> No.8152018

>>8151214
For whatever reason, the fancier the hotel, the less shit that's included. The con hotel at the main convention I go to is a Hilton, so forget about breakfast. WI-FI isn't even included.

>>8151352
I always go to conventions by my lonesome and both a) meet up with people I met at the convention last year and b) meet new people. I don't cosplay. It's not very hard. I'm not sure what you were doing that made people get annoyed with you, but you should probably refrain from doing it again. Now I'm curious about what you did, though.

Tips for making friends at a con when you're alone:
1) Don't bust into some random group of people. They're already in a group. Closed. Not for you. Move on.
2) Find other people who are alone. You might run into a few people who aren't actually alone, but just waiting for their friends. If you're not a freak, they'll probably let you hang out with them, and maybe even invite you to hang out with the rest of the group!
3) A 3DS is a portable friend making machine.
4) Go to panels that interest you and sit next to people who are by themselves. This works better in interactive panels where it's okay to speak during the panel.

>> No.8152902

>>8144612
Treat them like human and be very respectful of their time and personal space. Keep in mind these guests are at the convention on business making money.

They have to deal with a bunch of retarded ass fans and i doubt they would enjoy you being a retard as well because you lack respect.

>> No.8154457

need more hotel tips k thx

>> No.8154532

Please do your makeup at home, before the trip, or in your hotel room. I'm not going to sit in the restroom and wait 30 damn minutes for a sink to open up because they are full of homestucks putting their paint on.

>> No.8154872

>>8152018
The bigger problem with meeting people at cons is finding someone who's alone and not socially retarded or too autistic.

Also, watch out for Asians. Can't count how many times I've hung out with lonely looking Asian guys, then learned they were underage.

>> No.8154883

I'm surprised how many people don't shower at cons...

>> No.8154928

>>8154532
Do people actually do this?

Also, on a similar note, might be an obvious one, but if you're doing your wig and makeup first, wear a buttondown shirt so you don't have to pull it over your head and fuck everything up when you change into your costume (and if you're sharing a room with a lot of people who need to get ready at once, it's a good idea to stagger who's doing their makeup versus getting into costume pieces so not everyone's fighting for mirror or floor/sitting space anyways)

>> No.8154982

Buy a cheap full length mirror. The kinds you can use the stick strips to put onto a door that they market towards first years in college. It should not run you more than $10-$15. You split the cost with your fellow roommates. One will do just fine for a room with a normal amount of people since you already have the hotel room's mirrors as well. Two will do for a small village room. Use these mirrors for costume adjustments and let makeup people have the bathroom mirrors (although I always bring my own makeup mirror with me anyway just so I don't have to wait).

>> No.8154987

Tips on Cosplaying in Florida events!
D
O
N
T
Too much drama! Just avoid it!

>> No.8154994

>>8154987
Sounds like you start drama, anon, and if you start drama, you're going to have drama…that's kind of how it works?

>> No.8155013

>>8135516
I only eat light food during cons.
Basically I eat very light the month before and at the con so I'm as slim as I can be.

>> No.8155153

>>8150424

No I mean that's the only time people tried to look lol

>projector busted
>panel leader staring at board for solid 10 minutes before trying to just yell out what was on her computer

Tbh sketching was probably more interesting

>> No.8155196
File: 22 KB, 444x322, 1334780975692.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Call me a sfw against weed but I hate the smell of it it really turns me off when some edgy guy is talking to me and he smells like rotten eggs.
Sorry Im not an edgy stoner girl

>> No.8155283

>>8155153
Oh! Now I understand what you mean. Your original post makes so much more sense now. Sorry about that. That's a pretty good conversation starter in such an awkward situation then.

>>8155196
Same here, anon. I'm glad cons bring together many people with expensive hobbies so it's not difficult to find someone else who isn't 420-friendly since 1) weed money could be hobby money and 2) no one in their right mind wants their costumes/lolita/j-fashion/BJDs/new merch smelling like weed.

>> No.8155313

>>8151352
Go to a panel for a subject that you enjoy and wait until the end of the panel to talk to the panelists and audience members.

>> No.8155673

>>8155283
>new merch smelling like weed.
weed smell on clothing goes away with literally taking a walk.

>> No.8155746

>>8155673
I'll take "shit only stoners believe" for $200

>> No.8155767

>>8137133
It's difficult to make friends at cons. It's too crowded and the people who are there usually have company already.

I suggest making friends before you go to the con. Go to cosplay meet-ups, join a forum, get into a facebook community. You can meet new people that way. If people have seen/met you before, they'll be more likely to approach you or won't be bothered by you approaching them at the con.

>> No.8155774

>>8155746
I don't smoke but I have friends who do. Weed smell literally goes away on its own, it doesn't sit in fabrics the way cigarette smoke does. Now if someone is carrying it on them, they're definitely going to smell. If you smell weed on someone it's either because they have it on them or just finished smoking

>> No.8156121

>>8155746
>>8155774
I used to smoke, and I also believed that the smell went away, but it ended up just being an easier scent to get used to than cigarette smoke (hence why you could have smoked an hour before coming home and your parents would still lose their shit when you walked inside because you smelled like weed).

I think most people have the common courtesy to mention any type of drugs being in the room ahead of time or preferably at the time of roommate finding.

>> No.8156159

>>8155673
That's bullshit and you know it. I live with people who smoke weed and some of my clothes smell like weed even after I went outside and back. It stays like cigarette smoke but you do get used to it faster. Unless it's constant.

>> No.8156774

>>8155774
Newsflash
The weed smell isn't going away on it's own- that's just you getting used to it

>> No.8157480

>>8155746
>>8156159
if you're smoking inside a home on the daily, then its very obvious you will smell because its en enclosed space allowing the smell to linger.

if you light up and take a walk, you will not smell.
this is a truth.

if you're hotboxing then you will smell longer than usual but it will go away soon.
this is a truth.

If someone smells unusually strong its because they're packing or because they just got done smoking literally seconds before.
this is a truth.

now if you're getting very close to the person and licking their neck then you will probably get a hint of pot even if they smoked hours ago.

NEWSFLASH: The people you've been around are actually carrying pot on them.

>> No.8158553

>>8131244
Single cosplay dude here

please be in florida

>> No.8158579
File: 43 KB, 400x350, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8154987
>All this Florida saltiness

St.Perersburgfag here, FL cons have gradually started to climb back up the ladder of non-shitiness, I have high hopes for metro, mega, super and holmat for the first time since 2010! I've always found all of SoFlo gets a bad rap for a few nutcases and shitty crybaby photographers

>> No.8158635

>>8158553
Hey, I'm a guy in Florida and I'm just gonna tell this girl to stay away from Floridians. They are cancer, drama, and everything bad you have ever experienced rolled up into one.

She should find someone else.

>> No.8158636

>>8158579
Hey man, there'salot more nutcases and shit-tier photogs who think they're gods in Florida.

Metro might be fun....Might be.

>> No.8158651

>>8158636
>Metro might be fun.... Might be

Have faith anon, based-metro is floridas best con

>> No.8158655

>>8158651
They have Shadocast crazies added to the casts for this year. I'm not looking forward to dealing with them.

>> No.8158692

>>8126231
thissss. There's one guy I used to go to at CTCon and Otakon and found him one time at Anime Boston. I told him how I liked his blind box quote (If you don't get the one you like, you can trade it in). He gave great discounts, and knew I would buy multiple series/boxes for friends.

>> No.8158789

>>8157480
All that fucking pot has made you retarded. Every time I go to a concert, I leave reeking of hash and I don't even touch the stuff. Whether it's indoor or outdoor, no matter how many hours later, my clothes still smell like pot. I leave my coat outside overnight and it is still saturated come morning. I hate people who argue that X-Y-Z doesn't smell, be it cigarette smoke, animal odor, or food smells. Maybe it doesn't smell to YOU, but I can smell it and chances are other people can, as well.

>> No.8160382

>>8158789
Damn anon, you sound like you need a toke

>> No.8161406

>>8158789
>Every time I go to a concert, I leave reeking of hash and I don't even touch the stuff. Whether it's indoor or outdoor, no matter how many hours later, my clothes still smell like pot. I leave my coat outside overnight and it is still saturated come morning.
this isn't true.

>> No.8161544

>>8158789
i bet you refuse to do anal too huh bitch?

>> No.8161555

>>8158789
Ehhh, I don't know. I'm allergic to smoke, and I've had a coworker walk by me reeking of weed having obviously just finished smoking and it being strong enough for me to start getting hives and then when I saw him again later in my shift everything was fine. I've had numerous similar experiences. Have you considered that it's psychosomatic?

>> No.8161587
File: 64 KB, 460x538, 1424640377653.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8158789
>you

>> No.8161706

I work in law enforcement in the drug receival unit and I have issues the same as >>8158789 does. My uniform reeks at the end of the day as does my hair and I have set off drug detection dogs just by walking past. I find that the quality of the cannabis also affects how long the smell stays around, as does if it was smoked in a bong or in a joint.

Don't even get me started on that synthetic shit.

>> No.8162821

>>8161587
420 blaze it brother haha mirite

we sure got them good

>> No.8162892

Either shave the morning that you're heading to the convention or wax in advance. The time you save while taking a shower at the con and not having to worry about shaving is a life saver Alternatively, use those fake thigh high socks to cover up leg hairs on days you don't have the time to shave.

>> No.8163443

>>8162892
yeah guys this is a pro tip.
dont forget to also put your underwear on the night before so that you wont have to the morning of.

also dont forget to carry your phone charger!

>> No.8164608

>>8163443
Ew, you don't change your underwear in the morning? Maybe I just have a leaky vagina.

>> No.8164722

>>8164608
i change my underwear every few hours tbh

>> No.8164723

>always take cash
>the atm's will have a high fee, have a line, or run out
I only take my debit card with gas money on it. So I don't accidentally spend it

>> No.8164738

>>8155283
>>8155673
I know how you both feel. I'm from around Vancouver and someone is always lighting up on the streets, and my dorm building smells like it pretty often. I'm more than okay with people doing it, it just smells foul and even thinking about i makes me feel queasy.

>> No.8164750
File: 36 KB, 500x332, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Gonna go to Anime Expo for the first time, is there anything I should be worried about? How to deal with difficult creeps/weebs? Whats the con like, aside from being crowded?

>> No.8164762

>>8164750
If I completely remove the fact that its PACKED, I'd say its chill. The staff are a little clueless but you'll have a good time for sure. Big Vendor hall and plenty of friendly people.

>> No.8164763

>>8164750
Never going to AX again.
If your wandering the halls in cosplay, have fun having a broken costume. People are fucking rude and will break/steal your shit.
Also in the room with the different backgrounds for shoots, expect never to get one, because stupid shits take forever. Also it's gunna be hot as fuck, no matter where you are, so I hope you have lose fitting cosplay.

I would only go again if someone was going that I wanted to see. And I wouldn't go in cosplay.

>> No.8164852

>>8164762
Ah well that's reassuring

>>8164763
I'm sorry you had a bad experience

>> No.8165003

>>8164750
K the other anon is just bitter and probably had a bad time. I've gone to AX five years now and it's my favorite con. It's super crowded and hot but it's LA in July so what do you expect. People are really fun and tons of awesome cosplay and stuff in the dealers hall. Just stay hydrated. If you're hungry and thirsty you're not gonna have a good time tho.

>> No.8165039

>>8164750
Talk to people, ask about their cosplay, and join in on games you see.

>> No.8167785

>>8164763
Someone's salty.

>> No.8167840

how do you people get conections for guests? i've only got around 8 worthwhile guests in these 5 years, thinking on getting hiro mashima next, but other than asking them for contacts from their friends i see no other way

>> No.8167979

>>8144689
Had mine at Marriott Marquis in Atlanta for dragoncon with no problem for the past three years. I really don't think they care, but ymmv.

>> No.8167990

>>8142121
is that supposed to be a random dick joke because of hard

>> No.8172559

I need advice that might or might not fit in this thread. I've been losing interest in cons severely. I went to Ohayocon recently and found that I just didn't like the place as much as I used to. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should go to Colossalcon, and even if I do it'll probably be my last. What I want to ask advice about is how do you guys go about conventions in a wah that maximizes the amount of fun you have without getting fatigued? Also, help me make up my mind about Colossalcon!

>> No.8172759

>>8172559
I don't try to do everything I possibly can at a con. I usually make a list of things I'd like to accomplish/see at a con, and then narrow it down to how I'm feeling at the time of the event. When I first starting going to cons, I wanted to do EVERYTHING. Now I don't, and I can enjoy it so much more. Some of my better con memories are in the hotel room having fun with my friends.

As for Colossal, depends on how you feel about cons themselves. The con is really more about the waterpark/hot tub bars/relaxacon. This is not a knock on the con, it's just what it has become. Ohayo and Colossal couldn't be more different. If you're into the party aspect of cons, then go, you will have an amazing time. If you find yourself wanting more for the panels/guests/con experience, then you might find yourself a bit let down.

>> No.8173035

This is more of a general tip but it applies to congoers: Before putting on makeup, use moisturizer and/or primer. Both is ideal. It helps your makeup go on smoothly and stay on longer. Then use setting spray after you apply your makeup (give it time to settle before spraying though.)
Your makeup will last longer and look fresher, longer.

>> No.8173067

>>8172759
Thank you, anon! From past experience I know just how different Ohayocon and Colossalcon are, and I've never been a big panel/guest congoer. I tend to be more go with the flow about cons instead of planning things out so I think your advice is good. Last Ohayocon wasn't too great, at least for me (besides Shark Balloon), so I suppose I should give it one last go with Colossalcon instead of letting one bad con sour my whole outlook.

>> No.8173102

>>8173067
Try Colossalcon out, I hope you have a wonderful time! (trying to get there myself)

If you're local to Columbus, try Matsuricon out as well. I've had a blast at Matsuricon for the past two years, it's very good for the "con experience".

>> No.8173127

>>8173102
I've been to Matsuricon once before and I enjoyed it. I hope you can make it to Colossal!

>> No.8173154
File: 1.61 MB, 3984x2241, utyrhge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8164750
>is there anything I should be worried about?
It's so crowded now if you want to go to any non-ticketed main events or popular panels you'll have to line up at least 2 hours ahead of time so plan your day accordingly. Last year I just wanted to sit down for a bit so I went in a random video room showing Gungrave around 8pm or something, and the room was so packed I could barely find a seat. Just way too many fucking people everywhere.
Your other main worry is heatstroke (pic related, last year's pre-reg line, 4+ hours in the blazing sun), so bring a lot of water, cool clothes, a hat or parasol, sunscreen etc.

Never been bothered by creeps though, as for weebs it's an anime con so of course they're everywhere but they mostly stick with their own friends. Most people are pretty nice, after all it's a large gathering of people with the same hobby. Horror stories are the exception, not the rule.

>> No.8174372

>>8173154
>>8164750
Yeah that damn line is awful, plus a lot of the panel lines are outside unless you're like the first couple people in line.

>> No.8174385
File: 407 KB, 2048x1994, FB_IMG_1426023256351.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Research your photographer first, you don't want to end up with just a guy with a camera and bad intent for you and your photos.

>> No.8174918

>>8135767
using a good primer or even just moisturizing /right/ before you apply concealer can help then finishing with a setting powder is super helpful

>> No.8178220

I did read above, but I'm still a little unsure. How good would my chances be if I asked about getting 2 or 3 extra room keys for a 2-person-booked room, if I was polite and tipped well?

>> No.8178303

>>8178220
One? Maybe. Two or three? Nope. You'd have to tip them well enough to make up for potentially getting fired over ignoring hotel policies (and in some cases the law since it's pretty obvious that you're overbooking the room at that point).

>> No.8179621

>>8178220
It depends where you're staying. I usually have two names on the booking but four people staying and have never had issues asking for two extra keys. Hell, they've always asked how many extras I wanted when checking in. Out of curiosity, I once asked the Hilton front desk how many extra keys they allow one room to have. She said up to 10. Just make sure to be prepared (buddy system, good communication) if they say no.

>> No.8179644

>>8172559
Ohayocon is complete and utter shit. Don't let it ruin your view or opinion on conventions all together. Definitely go to other cons. I've never been to Collosalcon myself, but I'm sure it'll be 10 times better.

>> No.8180917
File: 124 KB, 1280x720, chemo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>been wanting to cosplay for about 7 years
>always felt too unattractive to do so, really lanky and skinny with a giraffe neck
>this character comes along

Going to my first con in May.

>> No.8181860

>>8127272
why avoid con raves?

guy here so don't say because rape

>> No.8182014

>>8181860
Raves are bad enough on their own, add idiotic weebs into the mix and you've got the portal to hell.

>> No.8182566

>>8182014
that doesn't explain much tbh...

>> No.8182653

>>8182566
Because they're shit, that's why. Like, imagine all the bad things that could possibly happen during a rave. Now add autistic faggots to the mix and amplifying those bad things tend fold. Now you have a con rave.

>> No.8182656

>>8182653
> ten fold

>> No.8184051

>>8181860
for the only one ive been to its all hardcore music, no one knows how to dance, and the people who do know how to dance are in the back with hulahoops

>white people cant dance
>weebs cant dance
>hot chicks in the back with hulahoops so you cant get near them

>> No.8184055

>>8152018
>no wi-fi or breakfast at a Hilton

What the ever loving fuck dude.

The fuck kind of Hilton are you staying at, mine always had food and internet.

>> No.8185842
File: 908 KB, 900x5691, cosplay_cleavage_tutorial_by_pomp_berry-d60n3gw[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

anybody have any cosplay lifehacks?

>> No.8185848

>>8182656
>ten folds five

>> No.8186037
File: 2.94 MB, 4288x2416, DSCF0110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Obviously, my kit's a little excessive, but even carrying a few bandaids, not just for yourself, but for others, is good practice for this. In that same vein, don't carry anything that's not either simple use, or something that you've been professionally trained in the use of.

>> No.8186067
File: 96 KB, 247x231, 1334454033994.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8185842
I can get boobs this big with just a VS bombshell bra latched crossed on the back. Im a 32D normally. Im around 34-24-36

The muffin top this girl has with the small boobs is really unfortunate though. But even THEN this is too excessive to do even for cosplay, not only uncomfortable but would look bumpy as shit on the side. The bombshell has that problem with the double boob bump too although but not nearly as bad as this would look.
Never understood why everyone thinks this is the greatest boob trick.

>> No.8186098

>>8124745
>big dresses
garment bags

>> No.8186105

>>8124769
I fold my petticoat in half, waistband to bottom, then fold it in half side to side, and continue until it's compacted, then I throw it into the bag that it was mailed in

>>8126027
I have used this for every single con I have ever gone to and it is a lifesaver!

Also
Put gas money on a debit card, so you aren't tempted to spend it, or accidentally spend it. Bring cash for everything else, ATM's there will either have lines, fees, or will be empty.

>> No.8186415

>>8131244
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

>> No.8188125

>>8180917
if you aren't fat, you have nothing to worry about

>> No.8188143

>>8135784
3 days is the max

>> No.8188148

>>8142121
Making pizza in a city is hard,cunt.

>> No.8189192

>>8188143
No
Just no

3 days without any sort of washing when in public in crowded areas (and I would assume in costume which is generally not the best sweat prevention wise) is socially ignorant

You don't think you smell

But trust me, you do

>> No.8189228

>>8189192
I should have added if you are not doing strenuous activities or if you live in a hot place you should shower daily,idk about washing your hair though,I try to do it every 2 days but sometimes its too fucking hot and I have to daily.

>> No.8189659
File: 33 KB, 500x387, 1315832932217.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8189228
Point there,
It's bad that people think it's ok not to wash at all, despite the fact they are going out in public

But I guess stereotypes exist for a reason, guys like them are the reason I get funny looks when I say that I am going to a con when asked why I want time off work

>> No.8189811

>>8124704
>How to get the best photos

This really depends on your luck as there are a lot of cosplay photographers out there, and you can't really tell their quality of work if it's your first time meeting them. In general, learn your poses, especially if there are any unique/recognizable ones performed by your character and always pay attention to the small details such as your con pass. Feel free to pose for a few shots if someone asks you, sometimes a photog will ask you to do a full on shoot with you, but at that point, the choice is yours, whether to accept or not is up to you but definitely make sure to bring a friend along and let them know immediately if you ever feel uncomfortable at any point during the shoot.

I've been on both sides of the lens personally, so if you have any questions in regards to photography "etiquette", feel free to ask