[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 202 KB, 1280x720, Scissorblade.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8114464 No.8114464 [Reply] [Original]

Miyako's Con Attendee's Artist Alley Do-Not-Buy list - Only shop from artists who

care about anime.

Most anime conventions don't care who is vending

at their artist alley. There is no jurying done for anime conventions to make sure convention goers experience the best of the best. Including but not limited to

Otakon, Anime boston, Katsucon, or Connecticon.

Anyone with $70 to $120 can vend at a anime convention, even if they don't care

about anime, or if make fun of people for watching anime. Over the course of the

past several years, a lot of non-anime fans have started to sign up for the Artist

Alley to take advantage of anime fans.
They think that because their items sell, they must belong in the convention, but

anime conventions are supposed to be the premiere showcase of anime and anime

fandom in America. Instead, it's becoming a craft fair that has nothing to do with

anime.
So that means it's the duty of us, the attendees, to buy with care.

Don't buy these things, because they don't support anime or anime fandom, or stuff

about Japanese culture:

>> No.8114465

1. Soap / Lotion / Lip balm. You can buy pre-made soap making kits and add scented oil from the soapmakingstore.

I did this with my bridesmaids, and it's very easy to make soap in a home kitchen.

Or go to a farmer's market. There's always someone selling handmade soap, lotions,

and chapstick using local ingredients. or search on Etsy for handmade soap,, you

will find someone who makes soaps professionaly, instead of someone who started to

make soap last month to make a quick buck. Some "craft" soaps are made with chemicals that are known carcinogens.

2. Pocketwatches. It's all pre-fab jewelry from China. If you search on Amazon for

"pocket watch bronze", you'll see that all of them are only $4. They get marked up

to $20 at a con by "artists" but the "artists" don't make anything that they sell.

Don't spend your money on their overpriced gift shop items. Always ask them which

part they made themselves, and how. If they can't answer that, they're not worth

your money at an anime convention.

3. Bead Jewelry. Unless the beads were made by the artists and they ordered all

the metal parts from the US, don't buy this. Those metals aren't held to the same

health standards as Jewelry metal produced by American companies. You can buy this

stuff at any flea market. Don't give them your money, because buying their stuff

encourages them to come back next year, even though they don't care about anime or

the anime fandom.

>> No.8114469

4. Animal fleece plushies. The people who make animal plushies are there to take

advantage of anime fans because they heard from their bead jewelery friends and

knitting friends that people at anime conventions are loaded. Few of them watch

anime, if they ever did at all. Always ask them what shows they are watching, or

only buy fan art plushies where you can tell the person watched the show. Be

carefull not to buy a rip off of an official plush. Always search on your phone

first, because the convention staff isn't checking.
Buying official supports people who make the anime you love, so that they can

afford to make more anime. Bootleg doesn't.

5. Pearler beads. There's nothing anime or Japanese about them. A lot of them use

google images to search for 8-bit sprites to copy, using pearler beads. Always ask

them about how they make their work. Make sure they're not tracing pictures off google like a talentless copy machine. fucking waste of space.

6. Fabric bows and bags. Unless it's fan art, don't buy it. And if it's a character

print like Hello Kitty, those fabrics are only supposed to be for personal use, so

if you buy it, you're supporting bootleg.

7. Chain Mail / Ring Mail. Unless it's fan art, don't buy it. A lot of them don't

care about anime. They mostly go to sci-fi, fantasy, and furry conventions. They

only started to show up after the bead jewelery people appeared. If it looks cool

and you think you might regret it later, ask them about ordering online.

>> No.8114472

8. Upsale/repurposed stuff. Pendant necklaces, and pendant rings, are the biggest

offenders. They're not allowed to resell work like this, because comic books and

posters are sold for personal home use. Convention staff knows this but they can't

enforce the rule all the time. The only skills they have is the ability to use

scissors and the ability to glue things together. They're not worth your money.

9. Knit/Crochet stuff. Unless it's fan art, don't buy it. A lot of knitters go to

plenty of craft fairs and holiday flea markets. They don't care about anime- They

only want your money. But commissioning them is good, because it makes them watch

anime to understand your commission. Don't let these assholes waste space at an anime convention when they belong somewhere else.

10. Anything with a show's logo on it at an artist alley . What you're looking at

is a shitty artist trying to sell a bootleg of an official item. Don't buy any

buttons that use logos or simple simbols from your favorate shows, because by

buying you're encouraging them to make more logo rip buttons or patches or whatever

it is they make. Instead, report them to AA staff so they can be removed.

>> No.8114476

[citation needed]

>> No.8114484

tl:dr op is bat shit crazy

>> No.8114485

I was with you a little til 4.

Also, knitters only want your money so don't buy from them? Nigga have you ever tried to knit something? There are easier ways to take money from fools. Fuck off

Also
>being this much of a corporate shill about "bootleg"

>> No.8114488

Why is this formatted like an email chain letter from 1997

>> No.8114492

>>8114464
I don't think you actually care about anime.

>> No.8114494

You know anyone selling shit in artist alley wants your money right? That's kind of why they're there. To sell shit. Shocking.

>> No.8114498

Most anime conventions don't care who is cosplaying

at their con. There is no jurying done for anime conventions to make sure convention goers experience the best of the best. Including but not limited to

Otakon, Anime boston, Katsucon, or Connecticon.

Anyone with $5 can cosplay at a anime convention, even if they don't care

about anime, or if make fun of people for watching anime. Over the course of the

past several years, a lot of non-anime fans have started to sign up for the con

to take advantage of anime fans.
They think that because their prints sell, they must belong in the convention, but

anime conventions are supposed to be the premiere showcase of anime and anime

fandom in America. Instead, it's becoming a circus that has nothing to do with

anime.
So that means it's the duty of us, the attendees, to praise cosplayers with care.

>> No.8114519
File: 34 KB, 640x655, wut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8114498
the fuck are you even talking about

>> No.8114524

Did someone not buy your superior Japanese animu art at a convention or something?

>> No.8114535
File: 478 KB, 283x200, 1410492898649.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can't believe I read all of that. This has to be a copy/paste from somewhere.

>> No.8114542

>>8114519
I think their talking about the amount of cosplayers seeking attention after the mainstream boom its had in the past 3-4 years.
actually idk......

>> No.8114545

>>8114498
Why the fuck are you
posting

like this?

>> No.8114548

Wtf did I just read
This is amazingly hilarious

>> No.8114557

This has got to be copy and pasted from somewhere else, but where is it from?

>> No.8114604

>>8114498

>Went to Acen in Chicago, has seen a predator, 16-bit Cloud, and loads more.

Dressing up as anything but anime characters counts as cosplay? What?

I've seen people put a box on their head and call it cosplay. Whether it was simple or even incredibly hard to make, they had fun with it. Hell I even met Sailor Bubba, he was a funny and hilarious guy!

So quit with shitting bricks from that orifice you call a mouth.

>Cosplay doesn't differentiate between western or eastern cosplay either.

>> No.8114623

This is so stupid. Anime conventions and its attendees have evolved. I still go to anime conventions, but haven't consistently watched anime since Panty and Stocking era. I go for lolita and gaming. When I go to the dealers room or artist alley, I look for lolita accessories. Who cares if they don't like anime.

>> No.8114634

>>8114519
Pretty sure anon is someone else from OP making fun of their post, but switching it around to make fun of "cosfamous" people i.e. jnigs
10/10 tbh

>> No.8114650

>>8114535
I love this gif. That was seriously one of my all-time favorite movies just because of that amazing eagle. Thank you, anon.

>> No.8114838

I still can't work out

Why they are

Typing like this

Forward this message to 50 people

Or Mickey Mouse will come to you tonight

And rip out your throat.

You have been warned.

>> No.8115017

>>8114623

> anime convention
> go for gaming

then go to a gaming convention

>> No.8118482

>>8114519
>>8114545
>>8114604
Oh my god you absolute autists, this is obviously a joke based on the OPs formatting style.

>> No.8118532

>>8114535
If this isn't a copy-paste, I am absolutely floored that there is a person who simultaneously writes like they just found out about computers yesterday and also frequents 4chan.

If OP is for real: people will buy what they want. There's not much you can do about it.

>> No.8118538

>>8114623
>Panty and Stocking era
Panty and Stocking was only 2010. Is that really already a previous 'era' of anime?

>> No.8118539

>KEEP THE ANIME IN ANIME CONS
The community has grown to encompass all types of fandom and there really isn't anyone who is exclusively into anime anymore. A lot of artists in AA are into anime to some degree and are trying to make an extra buck to support themselves and their expensive hobbies.

In most cases, Artist Alley isn't just "you pay the fee, you're in" like you seem to think. Often times the head of AA will review work and either accept or deny an artist, which means someone is approving these artists over other artists, likely because the other artists don't really have enough appeal. Would you rather have a diverse selection of at least moderate quality goods, or half of AA filled with booths run by people with no artistic talent who make nothing but crappy chibi keychains, plastic bead pixel shit like #5, and plushies that look like weeaboo voodoo dolls?