[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 157 KB, 500x289, sm1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8094487 No.8094487 [Reply] [Original]

>What was it like joining your first comm?

>What was your first meetup like?

>How long have you been in your comm?

>Have you ever left or been kicked out? and if so, why?

I just moved to Arizona (Tucson to be specific) from Texas, and I'm kind of nervous because I've been in lolita fashion for a year now, but I've never been apart of a comm before, and I'm curious about everyone elses experiences joining a comm!

>> No.8094571

bump

>> No.8094643
File: 362 KB, 1080x1776, Snapchat-4235706712113282311.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8094487
>>What was it like joining your first comm
Scary. Reaal bad social anxiety made the whole thing real intimidating
>>What was your first meetup like?
Diddnt attend
Got there and got so spaghetti before I met them, got to the nearest bathroom and puked from nerve.
Also thought I looked too ugly ect and felt I'd bother them.
First one I actually went to was lovely
Had a great time, although got quite shy.
Though I was semi buzzed.

>>How long have you been in your comm?
Few months! Haven't been to a meet since, working on a good outfit and making sure I go to one next month.
>>Have you ever left or been kicked out? and if so, why?
Nope!
Always feel Maybe the girls don't really like me but never been kicked or left

>> No.8094644

>>8094571
Bumping? On /cgl/? Blasphemy!

>> No.8094690

>>8094643
I feel you so hard. I've been to one meetup and have been too much of a nervous wreck to return. They were all really nice too, I'm just a baby.

>> No.8094719

>>8094643

I feel you bro. I haven't attended a meet up yet but I am so scared to.

>> No.8094724

awkward, everyone was ita so it wasnt too bad since we all had fun.
nobody dressed in lolita, it was all visual kei/punk style
12 years

One meetup was so terrible everyone in the comm left for a number of years. We all kinda waited till the girl who made the meet moved on/died

>> No.8094729

>>8094719
especially since you see people get posted on /cgl/ so much by people in their comms.

>> No.8094800

A little nervous, but over all really good!
It was a summer ILD meet and I took a newbie friend so we could be newbies together. I wore an IW dress but still looked a bit like a brand ita. Not incredibly terrible, but still bad. It wasn't a giant meet, maybe small to medium sized. We got dessert and went to a nearby mall downtown. I had a lot of fun though and everyone was super nice and well dressed.
Going on 6 years.
Nope. Things are generally pretty good in the community. There was a hiccup for a little bit, but nothing that drove me out for any reason.

>> No.8095430

>>8094724

What the hell happened?

>> No.8095433

>>8095430
Seconding this, what the fuck

>> No.8095445

>>8094487
I helped found the comm with some like-minded and well-dressed girls, so it started fun and has only gotten better!

Though I already knew most of the people going, I was a little worried meeting some of the new members and luckily they turned out to be both sane and fun to hang out with (and well-dressed to boot).

Two years.

Nope. We did kick a girl out for scamming newbies and selling them period-stained dresses though. She was only in the comm a couple of months, but those were the most drama-filled months of the comm's short life.

>> No.8095571

>>8094729
After my first meet I checked cgl and btb like crazy

>> No.8095700

>What was your first meet up like?

Drunk guy in aristo shows up and proceeds to drink more before passing out in the bathroom with his pants down, covered in puke.

But other than that, it was a good meet. My comm is really nice and well dressed.

>> No.8095722

Way easier than I thought it was going to be. I just joined the FB and attended the first meetup I could go to.

We ice skated, walked around a German Christmas market, and viewed a gingerbread house exhibit. It was cold, but the atmosphere was cozy.

I only spent a year in my first comm, and I've been in my current one for almost two.

The same day of my first meet someone posted the "leader" on BtB, and after throwing a hissy fit she left. The comm was pretty drama free after that.

>> No.8095783

>>8095445
How do you even bleed on your dress? You'd think with all the layers there could be no possible way for blood to get anywhere near your dress.

>> No.8095827

>>8094487
For my first comm ever, I was nervous, but managed to stay faux-confident and have a good time. I was pretty ita then, but everyone was really nice to me anyway.

Joining my current comm was fun and easy--I was already fairly established in the general community, so it was just a matter of making friends in a new city. It also helps that I was no longer ita, haha.

Very first meetup was a zoo meet, and my dad took me since I was too young to drive at the time. It was really fun, but I think people liked my dad better than me, since he's a photographer!

I was only in my very first comm for a year before moving. I've been in my current comm for four years now. I've moved around a lot with school, so my current comm is actually my third, and I'm also still part of my second comm on occasion (been in that one for eight years).

As mentioned before, I moved two states away from my first comm, but now I'm part of two, and have never left either of them.

>> No.8095859

>>8094729
I had so much fun at my first meetup and within a few weeks I was getting blasted on btb with like 200+ comments on my secret. I felt so naive and embarrassed, I quit lolita shortly after. I came back a year later and stayed on good terms with many local lolitas. One girl finally confessed (out of sheer guilt) she wrote it after I helped her get through a difficult time and now I avoid her like the plague.

Don't let one rotten person take you away from what could be an amazing group of friends. I don't regret putting up with all the shit to have all the friends I have now.

>> No.8095909

>>8095859
What was the secret about?

>> No.8097475

>>8094487
>>What was it like joining your first comm?
I was really nervous and scary, especially since I had heard about how rude and mean lolitas can be.
A lot better than I thought it would be. The comm leader walked me around and introduced me to a lot of people, whom I have since become really good friends with.
Only a couple of months, I'm fairly new to lolita
Nope

>> No.8097491

It was exciting. I was at a convention and saw such a cute girl. I followed her and talked to her about what it was she was doing. She friended me on Facebook, added me to the comm, and the rest is history!

It was fun. We went to bakery, took pictures, went to an antique store, etc. I had so much fun, I don't even remember being nervous, although I'm sure I was. My coord was halfway decent, although I did have weird, cheap lace fingerless gloves from Claire's. I still have them for nostalgic purposes, but I would never wear them again.

Seems crazy, but it's been 4 or so years.

Nope, and I hopefully never will. I really like my comm.

>> No.8097563

Lolitas kept hassling my then girlfriend to join because she was e-famous and I got dragged along with her.

Shitty picnic. The first of many.

Four years.

No.

>> No.8097577

>>8094719
>>8094729
What the hell is wrong with you people? I've been wondering this for awhile but seriously, if someone makes fun of you online, nothing actually happens. you know that, right? No one shows up to your house and confiscates your wardrobe. The people you go to meetups with, half of them won't see it because they aren't autistic enough to browse every cgl thread, and those who do won't give a shit, if anything they will respect you more because you've fought ~evil~ "online bullies" who are "ruining lolita" I literally don't understand how you could be so scared of something as fucking retarded as being made fun of online by people you don't know and will likely never meet so much that you'd miss out on an awesome event and making friends because of your imaginary fear that, worst case scenario, has little to no impact on your life.

Second thing, if you are wearing lolita, EVERYONE IS MAKING FUN OF YOU. You look like a Malaysian talking muppet and people are talking shit behind your back about it. Guess what their opinions don't matter for shit either. I don't understand people who will willingly go to the mall dressed like clowns from a horror movie but oh no god forbid some other fatty who dresses like a clown doesn't like *their* clown outfit and throws a hissy fit over it online. Who the fuck cares? Do you even think this shit through? Obviosuly not because you'd realize how fucking stupid you sound. Why on earth would any of this matter?

Of all the autistic things I've read online this is easily the most autistic, and yet I keep seeing it again and again. It's fucking stupid. you're stupid. Just go to your fucking comm meet up and talk to people you massive fucking sperglord. they are not going to eat your face or burn your burando. jesus fucking christ. Yes, I am mad.

>> No.8097588

>>8095859
SF comm?

>> No.8098864

>>8097577

nobody who's never been under a spotlight even once in their life detected

>> No.8098922

>>8097577
>Malaysian talking muppet
I like you.

>> No.8102911

such people so wow.

>> No.8102933

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Everyone seems rather nice. Though, I'm fairly certain someone made a secret about me on BtB about a phrase I used, or something. To be fair, it was pretty funny.

It was fine. I was so nervous that I got there early, so I waited in the shop across the road until a few girls got there. Conversation was a bit weird at first, one girl brought her mom and another brought her boyfriend who just sat there, but it became smoother once more people came.

I always thought seagulls were blowing steam up their ruffles, but it's true that people will stop and secretly video tape you or take pictures without permission. Even when we were planning our next course of action, we were stopped by a horde of people, and we couldn't move for the next 15-20 minutes because people kept wanting photos of us. It was interesting.

Almost a year now

Nope

>> No.8102935

So I am going to my first meet up after moving to a new area. I wanted to give the girls a little present, but I'm drawing some blanks on what I could give them. What's a small and safe gift for lolitas? I think they're mostly classic and gothic lolitas but I'm not entirely sure.

>> No.8102939

>>8102935
Why? That a nice gesture, but you don't want to come across too strong when you first meet them.

>> No.8102942

>>8102935
If it's a small meet-up, not one at a cafe or restaurant, you can always bring some snacks. Macarons are usually a good bet.

>> No.8102943

>>8102939
I just wanted to be nice. I think it's hard accepting someone new into a group, and I thought it might be a nice thing to do.

>> No.8102971

>>8094487
The only thing I knew about lolita comms was learned from getoffegl and behind the bows. This turned me into a raging brandwhore and really bitchy person. I was excited to join my first comm until I realised that "all of them" (read: no god tier coords, my comm is fine) were itas. Shat up the comm group with dumb comments, I still cringe reading back through them.
>What was your first meet up like?
shitty. I felt really self conscious because I knew I was ita (my parents forced me to go to the meet before I had got a full coord together because they wanted to make sure I liked lolita before I got more clothes) and I wanted to make a good impression on people. I freeze up when I get freaked out so I hardly said anything to anyone except the other ita and some weeb who decided I was "kawaii".

ehh I joined when I was mid 15 year old so like 2-3 years.

I think everyone likes me well enough. Wouldn't leave voluntarily but I am not the type to start drama so I cant imagine myself being kicked out anytime soon.

>> No.8102982

My local comm is notorious for bullshit and drama.

I've only ever been to one meet and was the best dressed to a shocking degree. It was really awkward because everyone just sat around making vague observations about our surroundings.

I don't think I'll bother, to be honest. I wear Lolita/Otome every day, so it's not like meetups are special because they give me an excuse.

>> No.8103001

>>What was it like joining your first comm?
I was excited to make new friends and get help with the fashion, I didn't have access to internet outside of using the library so I couldn't really learn much about it before hand- so there was what little I've seen online+ books and manga
My outfit was admirably poop, I did have a petticoat though. I had more than one member pull me aside and straight up tell me my outfit was crap- none of these members helped teach me but were outwardly critical of my outfit.
about 3 months.
My comm acquired a scapegoat, FB feed was just bitching about her nonstop. Many people left the community because it got so out of hand. like /cgl/ on Facebook. It just made them blame the scapegoat more. I was among one of them who left. The behaviors were atrocious.

>> No.8104737

bump

>> No.8104756

>>8098864
This.

You think you're all fine and dandy, are just excited to make a few friends then someone makes a secret about you or posts bullshit on /cgl/

a LOT of lolitas go to cgl. Even tumblrtards check out BTB

Lolitas are so fucking dodgy, just approach me on things.

I actually was kicked from a comm after only attending one meet due to /cgl/ rumors.

I think the most stressful thing was trying to find out what I did to get kicked

>> No.8104779

My first meet was a Welcome Newbies meet the comm put on for the new members. It was good because we were all in the same boat in not knowing anyone and being super anxious about attending. Everyone was at the same level of awkward and we covered it up by eating everything the cafe had on offer,

>> No.8104781

>>8097588
Slight off topic but how come San Francisco gets name dropped so often?

>> No.8104826

I first got involved with the local comm before the time of facebook groups, where all groups were primarily located in lj communities. After a while, I took a break from lolita communities and the online world while i dealt with some issues. When I had come back, lj was dead, and the group had grown by several dozen and moved to facebook. Aside from a few people who were a bit snarky (who have since either flounced, or fixed their attitude) Everyone has always been really nice. Now I'm a mod. Seen a lot of people come and go, but I still love the core group.

It was me in handmade, and 2 other girls in anna house. That was from the lj days. I still know and love one of the girls, dont know what happened to the other one. We hung out at a park, took pictures and had lunch.
The ffirst meet I had since I rejoined the comm was fun. i was blown away we had about 15 atendees, most of them in brand and well dressed. The one girl from my first meet was there too. Everyone was awesome from the get-go, which was the deciding factor for me to stay with the comm rather then to continue as a lole lolita.

I do believe I've been with the fb group since 2010. I had been on lj since 2004, my first meet with the lj comm was 2007?2008?

No. We've had a few girls flounce out of the comm because nobody agreed with them that they we're gods gift to lolita and our comms personal savior, but that's about it.

>> No.8104830

>>8104779
>Welcome Newbies meet
It'd be really nice if my comm did this. I've been on the FB group page lurking for about a year. I've gone through quite a few dresses, just buying and then selling brand without ever wearing them because I haven't been satisfied with my coords.
I have a coord now that I don't think will get torn apart too horribly, but I'm afraid to go to a meet at this point. I don't post at all in the community and I don't know anyone. I'm also spaghetti as fuck, so that doesn't help.

I'm planning on wearing my coord to a public event where I'm sure there will be others from my comm, although there isn't any set meet. I'll be going with my normalfag friends, but I do want to meet other lolitas. I'm not sure how to go about doing this without being a weirdo and just silently infiltrating their group, so I'll probably just stick with my friends.

Now I kind of want to suggest a newbie meet now, but being that I myself am new and spaghetti, I don't know.

>> No.8105040

>>8094487
Tucson lolita here, feel free to drop me an email! We're always looking to expand

>> No.8105249

How is the Vancouver comm, is it active, is there drama?

>> No.8105255

it was okay. nothing too special. it was mostly awkward and small individual convos. after my initial first 3-4 meet ups i stopped going to them. i recently started up again and there are a handful of new people. same old, same old, though.
same as above. talked about lolita , nothing great. coords were meh.
in and out. cant say im active enough to really be part of it.
no, but i have a mildly bad online rep, haha.

>> No.8105264

>>8104756
>I think the most stressful thing was trying to find out what I did to get kicked
What did you do?

>> No.8105309

>>8105255
I basically came to this thread to reaffirm my thoughts on never joining a comm. Yeah you could say I'm missing out blah blah but it's either boring and you have little in common or you're walking on eggshells or you're one of the lucky ones. Also I hate ott and like a more casual style and worry joining a comm would pressure me to buy more brand to keep up with the group, and then judgment.

>> No.8105315
File: 146 KB, 500x750, 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've had 4 bodyline pieces and some versatile shoes and blouses for maybe 3 years, but I still haven't joined my comm
Honestly, I really like some bodyline pieces, but I don't want to look like a total offbrand ho. I've been lurking cgl for just as long, as well as wearing bodyline occasionally, so I'm sure I could come up with something half decent. In my mind, I'd wait until I had at least one nice brand dress, wear a good bodyline coord to the first meet, brand to the second, and hopefully I'd have a few nice pieces by then. Tbh the hardest part is getting the burando ball rolling, there's always something else that would really be a better use of my money. But I've managed to put enough coins in the jar for a dress, and I'm searching y!a for one I really love now!
I did go to a "lolita tea party" at a con alone once and it was literally a continental breakfast with watery piss tea in styrofoam cups, but one girl's reportedly first ever coord was all IW besides the shoes and she was so cute.
I'm sure this isn't the norm, but I want to make a good impression, damn it.

>> No.8105322

>>8105309
my only dislike for lolita community meet ups is the attention. i mean, being by myself is bad enough.... a whole flock of lolitas attracts way too much attention (seems attention whore-y) versus just me in the corner of a cafe....

>> No.8105327

>>8105264
I still don't know to this day. messaged mods asking why and no one would talk to me.

Whole thing turned me off from meetups completely.

>> No.8105335

>>8105315
Was this at Taiyou con?

>> No.8105384

>>8097577
Clinical anxiety isn't reasonable, bro. If I could logic myself out of being anxious I would have done so years ago and wouldn't need these fucking meds.

>> No.8105397

>>8105315
This is the saddest thing ever, and it's not because of your bodyline collection. :|

>> No.8105537

>>8095430
>>8095433
basically the girl thought it would be fun to insult people. We went to this terrible ita store and mocked and pointed out to the workers how un-lolita it was.
i didnt participate in it but 12 out of a group of 15 did. So the majority made the whole comm look bad. I never went in the store ever again because i was really young at the time and really shameful that the group had acted that way considering she was the eldest (30 at the time, while we were 12-16)

>> No.8107547

>>8105537
that sounds terrible.
But "waiting for her to die" sounds equally as awful.

I've noticed That if the comm leaders are nice, the comm is nice, if the comm leaders are cunts, everyone else tries to be a cunt.

Why?

>> No.8107792

>>8094487
Hey OP! Another Tucson loli here! Always nice to have more people to chill with. Have you joined the comm yet?

>> No.8108090

>>8105322
Some people can only feel comfortable being out in lolita while in groups. It's fine and dandy that you feel comfortable enough to go out and hang out in cafes and shops as a lone loli, but a lot of normal people will consider just your clothes as "attention whore" no matter what, whether you're alone or not, whether you're in a corner of the cafe or sitting at the outside tables.

This is especially a concern for lolitas who have no choice but to take public transit to get around anywhere. There are some horror stories of guys going up to a lone lolita and prepositioning them. A group can at least have numbers on their side to protect each other.

>> No.8111362
File: 370 KB, 350x265, 1419877731301.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Check out local comm's facebook page because I've been thinking about joining them
>Recognize a name in the comments
>It's a girl I used to go to college with who was incredibly annoying and dressed in a mess that I thought was just gothy weeb but in hindsight apparently was casual lolita
I don't know if I want to avoid her at all costs or join just to look better than her even though she's been in the fashion for years.

>> No.8112479
File: 31 KB, 591x376, 1415608023081.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread interests me I'm really curious about shitty first meetups but no ones posting