[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 148 KB, 682x644, lolita in the office2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8024753 No.8024753 [Reply] [Original]

I'm just getting into lolita and only have a few coords but I'm a senior in college. I'm going to be a teacher and I was thinking about how much more difficult it would be to wear the fashion once I'm out of college.
>Where do you work?
>How do you wear the fashion at work?
>Any tips?

>> No.8024757

>>8024753
Wanting to dress in lolita as a teacher? Yeah, good luck with that.

>> No.8024807

You will never find a school that allows you to wear otome. Teaching is semi-formal attire and up. I'm doing teaching as well and the idea of dressing in lolita for it hasn't ever crossed my mind, due to just how stupid the idea is.

>> No.8024844

>>8024753
I've heard people talking positive about how toned-down might be acceptable, but IMHO that's straight-up bullshit. You cannot wear any sort of lolita in a high school, end of. In further education settings it might be different, but if you're becoming a high school teacher don't even let it cross your mind. Primary school is a little trickier; if you were a primary school teacher and you taught older kids (9-11) something like very toned down plain IW might be fine, but with kids any younger lolita is too impractical for such a messy environment.

>> No.8024979

>>8024807
Idk might depend on the school in regards to the semi-formal thing. I'm not saying lolita may or may not be an option but I remember some of my high school teachers dressing pretty casually. My female art teacher whom I still visit from time to time dresses kinda retro, and a couple of my science teachers have shown up in cargo shorts before. I mean I went to a public school, but teachers themselves were good and we ranked pretty high in the district. Idk, I could possibly see plain IW being worn, not exsctly as lolita, but just a dress with maybe blouse/cardigan with heels I dont think would be a huge deal.

>> No.8024984

>>8024753
Jeez, you must be pretty delusional to even consider wearing lolita as a teacher LOL

>> No.8024995

>>8024979
Teachers don't necessarily dress formally (at my school it was smart pants + shirt (no tie or blazer) for most male teachers and smart pants + any top or jumper or fairly normal dresses for most female teachers, bar a few that wore suits), but they also don't dress in a way that would stick out.

>> No.8025189

>>8024753
As a practicing high school teacher, imagining this made me laugh so hard I stopped breathing.

This will not work. Please save yourself, your clothing, and any job you might wrangle and leave your Lolita at home.

>> No.8025216

I've bern to both public and private schools and it was totally up to teachers what they wore. Some wore suits, some crazy sweaters, some cargo shorts, some retro fashion with unnatural hair colours, piercings etc. as long as it wasn't too revealing. Most people would just look at otome/casual/classic as 'kind of vintage looking'. Lolita these days doesn't actually look all that outlandish (not including sweet or ott)

>> No.8025228

>>8024807
That depends. My high school has a teacher there always looked like she walked out of a Hot Topic catalog and her hair was like a scene queen's.

>> No.8025457

>Where do you work?
In a hospital

I don't want hospital bugs, transient carriage or otherwise, on my nice clothes. Fuck that. I might occasionally wear a loliable blouse but that's it. Most of my grad colleagues have seen me wear lolita to class and even tutorials being taught by senior clinicians so it's not about worrying about being judged for my fashion courses, it's about being appropriate for the situation (i.e. patient contact and hospital bugs)

>Any tips?
Don't wear it to work.

>> No.8025491

>>8024753
I think OP could get away with toned down classic pieces or otome. Just keep it really simple with a dress, a cardigan and normalfag shoes - I wouldn't bother with a petti, blouse, patterned legwear or accessories.

>> No.8025504

I work retail and the dress code is pretty straightforward.
Our clothes can basically be black and white with the option to wear tan pants. Most days I opt for black dress pants with either a cute sweater or one of my tops from DreamV. When I feel up to it I do wear a nice loliable blouse with a skirt or jsk from milk+AP acessories (no petti as it already has a small built in one), never had a problem.

>> No.8025528

Any pharmacist lolitas out there?

>> No.8025534

You guys make me feel so lucky. I'm currently studying Computer Science and the job I got offered told me they dgaf what I look like at work, just don't have your bits hanging out.

I feel really sorry for the fields you guys are in. I guess it just sucks to suck. :p

>> No.8025558

>>8025491
I agree. I wear toned down otome and it gets a pass as vintage-style. Axes Femme all the way and I work in an Elementary School.

>> No.8025562

>>8024753
aim for fashionable mom and you'll be fine

>> No.8025567

>>8024753
I'm a substitute teacher, I can usually get away with long sleeved muted pieces (a la Mary Magdalene). In high school I had an art teacher with Manic Panic hair that changes color every week.

>> No.8025592
File: 406 KB, 788x570, fr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

IMO some of the Fanny Rosie's outfits are fine (minus the hats and accessories)

>> No.8025604

I plan on wearing lolita to work as a mortician, but extremely toned down gothic. It's actually very appropriate for the profession; we tend to stick to black and white and I could simply wear a simple cut of a plain black skirt, a normalish white blouse, a standard cross tie and subtle shoes. No patterns, no prints, no wigs.

>> No.8025618

>>8024844
i have a teacher at my highschool (yr 12) who wears vintage and does pinup outside of teaching. she comes to school with long aline dresses with petticoats, low heels, victory curls and the lot most days. maybe australian schools are different but from what i've seen at least otome could pass.

>> No.8025620

>>8024807
Semi formal and up? Maybe where you're at
My teachers wore jeans, tee shirts, hoodies, sweatpants, converse, etc.
They literally blended right in with the students. I had one teacher who wore skirts daily, and she was a former accountant.

>> No.8025625

If you're working a professional job, most likely you can't get away with more than a loliable accessory, blouse and pair it with a non poofy skirt.

I work in a hospital. I dress cute (as i don't deal directly with patients), but i handle blood and secretions and i don't want that all over my nice clothes. Yeah sure, i wear a lab coat (i work in the lab) but anything i can't quickly wash the stain out of is out of the question. Cute regular clothes only!

Tips- Sorry, if you want to be taken seriously then you can't get away with more than a toned down Otome look. Teachers have to be professional too, they help shape young minds. I once had a teacher who wore hawaiian shirts and khaki shorts daily but even though he was the program director they put that to a stop. Vintage looks are the closest you'll get. hang in there. there's always your days off!

>> No.8025626

>>8025604
...if you have to water it down this much though why even try man

>> No.8025676

There's a girl who is a teacher who is also a lifestyler. She's been both for years and the most they've told her is "you don't have to dress up, you can wear casual outfits on some days".

So it's rare but it's not impossible. Live the dream and don't wear sweet, anon.

>> No.8026213

>>8025558
This
I'm an elementary school teacher as well, and besides the occasional axes femme dresses or cardigans, I don't wear lolita or otome to work. There was one time where I wore an innocent world dress, but that was because my school was having a fairy tale event. Kids thought I looked like a princess. I don't think I would do it if I taught the order grades, especially middle school. Maybe high school if it was very toned down.

>> No.8026229

>>8024807
I had this French teacher who straight up dressed like a crazy person. The first time I saw her I thought a homeless lady had wandered into the school. There was also a bald English teacher who was completely covered in Japanese Yakuza-style tattoos. He started out covering them up with a three-piece suit (which only made him stand out more) but after a year or so started wearing t-shirts and shorts and showing them off more.
I still wouldn't recommend wearing anything super attention grabbing if you're a teacher, but it does differ per school. My old high school would have happily accepted someone who dressed otome as long as they did a good job.

>> No.8026239

I'm a teacher and I wouldn't reccommend it. It will get destroyed, it's frankly not really that appropriate, and your coworkers are just gonna find one more thing to talk about in the breakroom. Just save it for when you're hanging out with your friends.

>> No.8026251

>Where do you work?
Biotech lab.
No or a very light petticoat, close-fitting sleeves, no rings or bracelets, comfortable shoes I can easily stand and run around in, minimal frill and fuss. Mostly IW, Axes Femme, ETC and things I made myself. For me it's not so much an issue of looking 'respectable' but about being comfortable and not knocking things over or getting caught in stuff. I wear a labcoat most of the time anyway.
One of my coworkers dresses a bit gothy with fire engine red hair and colossal mutton sleeves, and another one shows up in the exact same baggy tracksuit every single day. They've both been around far longer than I have and nobody ever mentions their clothing choices so I'm sure I'll be fine. Our only real dresscode is "labcoat, shoes and keep your hair up", and that's only in the lab itself.
Although if I know I'm going to be doing something especially prone to gross accidents (e.g. requiring big bottles of blood or bacterial goo) I'll wear Bodyline or something I don't really care about.
>Any tips?
Talk to people in your field about this, especially people from the school(s) you'd like to work at. As you can see from this thread there's a big variety in how schools deal with their employee's dresscode so it would be most informative to go straight to them with your questions.

>>8025626
Some people like the 'watered down' look, though. I personally don't care for wigs or prints anyway so that wouldn't be any kind of sacrifice in my book.

>> No.8026281

>>8024753
>>Where do you work?
Entering college and pursuing lab work, answering this based on the assumption I'll stick with my major/work environment.
>>How do you wear the fashion at work?
I don't plan to wear lolita in a lab. It just sounds dangerous. Your petticoat probably won't fit under a lab coat, you have to wear shoes that protect your feet from spills, and are comfortable for long periods of time (sounds like tea parties are out) any hand/wrist jewelry will get in the way of gloves, and you'll want to keep your hair up at all times to avoid getting it in chemicals or even igniting it. (definitely no wigs - ever, don't even think about it)
>>Any tips?
Consider how appropriate the fashion is for the environment, teaching can involve quite a lot of standing so stick for comfortable loliable shoes. I always knocked things over with my petticoat when desks were close together, so minimal poof if any would be best. School's also have lots of tiny accidents, kids spill things, you'll drop things, there's lots of opportunities to damage your clothes. So just think about whether or not it's worth it.

tldr: Labs =/= lolita safe environment, dress for your environment, consider whether or not you risk damaging your clothes by wearing them in a certain place.

>> No.8026294

>>8026251
You're doing exactly what I want to anon. I'm halfway through my first classes and really enjoying what I'm doing.

Have you had any problems so far? My introduction class was doing a lab with eggs and one of the students wasn't paying attention; even though my feet were safely under the table I got egg dumped in my shoes.

>> No.8026350

>>8026294
If there are going to be students around I won't wear anything I'm attached to because yeah, they can be messy. Normally I have an entire bench to myself and only work with experienced people so the risk of spillage is much lower. Maybe I've just been lucky and have gotten lax because of it? At least I wear the damn coat. Most people at my lab don't even wear them and have to scramble for one that fits every time there's an inspection.

It also really depends on where I'll be working that day. If I'm going to be around big flasks of ew a lot I tend to dress down, but if I'm just going to chill out behind a microscope all day there's really nothing there that can ruin my clothes. On days like that I'm more likely to get something spilled on me during lunch time than when I'm working. The only thing I ever spilled on myself in the lab was like 1 mL of solubilized DNA and a bit of ice, which fortunately doesn't stain and only got on my lab coat anyway.

>> No.8026378

>>8024753
Lolita at work...
>Hi I'm Anonette! I'll be your new insurance broker/banker/manager.

>> No.8026464

>>8024753
Senior going for special education/elementary ed degree. I wouldn't recommend it. Now at my job (teaching assistant for special needs) I try to dress cute and feminine, but all my pieces are thrift store and cheap put togethers I wouldn't mind getting messed up.
If you're teaching middle school, high school, or spec. ed, I would fear wearing certain brand pieces. I'd save that for outside of school.

>> No.8026476
File: 560 KB, 480x288, t4fpE3H.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw self-employed

>> No.8026650

>>8025558
Elementary school is different to high school, a lot of elementary school teachers dress in a frumpy/vintage sort of way anyway so a knee-length old-fashioned dress isn't gonna look that out of place if it's plain.

>> No.8026654

>>8025592
They're fine, but I wouldn't call the first one lolita at all, and the second one is basically only made lolita by the brand handbag (it's more generic feminine womens style). So if OP wanted to wear feminine and vintage-style clothes to work, then yes, that's possible, but she wouldn't be able to wear lolita is the point.

>> No.8026656

>>8025626
This. TBH I'd rather wear ordinary clothes to work and save my money for lolita I can wear at the weekend than spend a lot of money on dresses that are technically brand but boring anyway.

>> No.8026660

>>8026650
This and you have to look at the district standards and think of all the parents too. Being a teacher means being a role model. Even outside of work you can't wear any beer and other kinds of logo shirts in case a student sees you.

>> No.8026667

>>8026650
I agree with this and anon >>8024844 above. Toned-down classic/otome is something you can get away with but is impractical for all but the oldest year groups in elementary school, not something you should consider in high school, but possible as a university lecturer. So basically...are you planning on becoming an elementary or a high-school teacher? If it's elementary, are you going to be teaching fourth or fifth grade? If the answer is no, lolita is probably not an option. If yes, it might be okay in certain work environments and on days when you know it isn't going to be messy (although, from personal experience, any day can be messy. Work experience students have spilled tea on my clothes in the staffroom before while handing me the cup).

>> No.8026692
File: 522 KB, 816x900, 1417009634634.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Where do you work?
I have a job that's difficult to explain, but the jist of it is that I work in my university's Students' Union as a sort of leader/ director.

I can go as full on as I like. Working with Students means there's absolutely no limit to what is acceptable. I've run training workshops wearing honey cake, chaired meetings in pastel vomit abominations, sat at my desk checking emails looking like a frilly vampire, that sorta thing.

The only time I would choose more carefully is for meetings with university senior management or at formal occasions run by the uni. My classic lolita pieces (especially JetJ) have come in handy hugely here, as I don't actually own any normal formal dresses.

>Any tips?
Dress to the occasion and be mindful of your audience and the activities you'll be doing. Office work? Wear something that's comfortable to sit down in. Important meeting? Depending on who it is, tone it down/ stick to classic, or avoid it. Fairly active/ messy work? Steer clear of lolita entirely.

>> No.8026852

>>8024753
the only place I can think of is NYC.
I'm in high school and my school is like 70% asian. People have come to school in full out cosplays and my math teacher collects anime figures. We're chill here.
Just try to get a school in Manhattan.

>> No.8026892

>Where do you work?
IT - I am a designer

I can wear whatever I want so long as I'm not wearing anything that's too revealing or unkempt. I generally wear otome to work, and will wear lolita items but in a very toned down way.

>Any tips?
Dress for success. You want your peers and clients to take you seriously, and you want your boss to think you look good, even if a bit quirky.

>> No.8027271

I'd never wear lolita to work except on Halloween because it's encouraged to dress up on that date.
It's just not office professional except for some of the blouses.

>> No.8027497

>>8024753
I don't work yet (sick, so I have to get my doctor approval before hand) but as I study japanese in college I sometimes do some interpreting in mother tongue/english/japanese for uni's partners. It doesn't really pay well but it's at least some job experiment.
I don't wear lolita at all during these days, and avoid japanese brands and styles in general because my school is really renowed and I need to look professional. If the event I'm working for is j-fashion or pop-culture related I'll ask my employer first before putting on an appropriate kimono on otome style, but never lolita. I wish I'll be zble to find student job where I can were wathever I'd like to.

>> No.8027937

I work in a kitchen making pizzas, and we have a very strict wardrobe. Black pants, black socks, black shoes, ugly forest green polo. And hideous hat. Thankfully they haven't given me a hat just yet.

I can't have my nails painted at all, not even a clear coat.

So I have to leave lolita to campus wear and meetups.

>> No.8027957

>>8025228
Mine does, too. I believe she is an underclassman substitute or something. She wears neon skull barrettes and teases up her bleach blonde, short scene hair. She also has weird, zipper-y floor length skirts. She's pretty big, too. If she came in Lolita'd up, I'm sure no one would care.

The art teacher is also covered in tattoos, has a full beard, and hair longer than mine.

Never really thought about how lenient the administration is at my school. Oh well.

>> No.8027962

>>8026852
I guess if you live in Manhattan or really specific parts of Brooklyn. I think Bronx and Queens residents can't even make it through a train ride without worrying about their clothes getting grabbed or defaced somehow

>> No.8027970

>>8025534
>I guess it just sucks to suck. :p

Ugh, cut it out with the "holier than thou" attitude. I graduated with a computer science degree myself and have a full-time job, but dress-code still depends on where you work.

People look down on cs majors with contempt because they "lack social skills/tact." You're definitely not helping that impression.

>> No.8027973

>Where do you work?
Kindergarten in Germany, so like, preschool in America.

I have a degree as a high school English teacher, actually, and I've done student teaching in America. I've only dressed up in Lolita once: during spirit week. I don't think I would've gotten away with it any other day of the week and my whole wardrobe is toned-down Classic.

My current job is too messy to wear Lolita for. Children poop and puke and our kindergarten is mostly outdoors. We do have the freedom to dress however we want with the job, but I've only really worn Bodyline and my cheaper IW skirts to work before.

>Any tips?
Depending on where you are going to be teaching, I would keep it to a bare minimum. Wear a plain JSK without a petti and wear lots and lots of cardigans. Cardigans are your friend. If you don't have any plain pieces, then I would leave it for meetups and the weekends.

>> No.8027978

>>8025534
Why are CS majors always such nasty, arrogant idiots? You'd think someone smart enough to succeed at computer science would be smart enough to figure out how to interact with others in a reasonable and respectful manner.

>> No.8028003

>>8027973
what's a spirit week

>> No.8028008

>>8027978
cs majors, if male, 99% of the time have a holier-than-thou attitude and act like they're hot shit because they're autistic neckbeards who think they'll be the next Bill Gates (protip: probably not). If female, they often act like they're not like those OTHER GURLS and expect a pat on the vagina for being cs majors while having tits. Which isn't a big accomplishment since some of the hungrier men there tend to have a C-cup on average.

>> No.8028016

>>8027978
>>8028008
So what's your major, lovelies?

>> No.8028017

>>8028003
It's a week in March where you dress in outlandish clothing to disturb the spirits of your ancestors.

>> No.8028019

>>8028016
Finance/accounting

>> No.8028023

>>8028016
You'd still be a dick no matter what we majored in. I also know full well that if we said anything other than a STEM subject you'd continue acting unbearably superior.

>> No.8028028

>Where do you work?
I'm a front end web developer at a local firm, have a degree in computer science.

I wear my more classic lolita styled pieces with limited amounts of jewelry and no wigs, though other days I just come in jeans and a polo/t-shirt.

>Any tips?
Gauge out the feel of the place you're at before going too casual or 'strange'.

>>8025534
Don't be a prick. You may be working at somewhere relaxed right now, but dress codes aren't always so loose especially when you're working on a large system at somewhere like a bank.

>>8027978
Just because you're smart enough to get in depth with the theoretical ideas doesn't mean you have any degree of social tact.

>> No.8028030

>>8027978
>>8028008
It really does suck, but please don't assume most cs girls are like that. The anon is definitely an idiot, but I'm cs myself, and most girls who are in it are usually really soft-spoken and are genuinely nice, smart people.

Then there are people like anon who have to go shoving their tits into everyone's face. Trust me, most people in cs (girls included) don't like people like her or highly visible loudmouths like Brianna Wu. They really don't help our image.

>> No.8028038

>>8028023
This is my first post in this thread but you sound pretty bitter, lady. Maybe you need to check if your behavior is in line with your major.

>> No.8028053

>>8028038
You sound like you were raised by a shitty grandma.

OT, I work in a boutique right now. We can wear whatever we want as long as it looks "dressed up", but my boss is a designer so she'll nitpick things she doesn't think work well. She leans really feminine too, which is an issue if you like the menswear trend or leggings.

>> No.8028055
File: 21 KB, 316x340, 1404250498263.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8025534
>>8028016
>>8028038

>> No.8028060

I'm getting my master's in urban planning right now with a semester to go. There is no way in hell I'm going to be wearing lolita at my workplace. Though I'll definitely wear lolita on the weekends when I have the money to do so if the city I live in the future is tolerable enough.

>> No.8028076

>>8028003
It's a week, normally before a home sports event usually in middle school or high school, where each day students and teachers have themes to dress up as to show school spirit and support. I didnt give a rats ass about football in high school but I sure as hell wore the most atrocious thing I could on tacky Tuesday

>> No.8028078

>>8024753
Be that teacher that always wears creative and colorful--but still appropriate--dress to work, and then as the weeks go by, students and faculty alike will start to acknowledge you as a creative dresser, and eventually you'll probably be able to pull off lolita once a month or even once a week and it wont be a huge deal.

If that doesn't work, you always have halloween and school spirit days (if high school).

On a side note, these captchas are hell for my eyes, does anyone know of a easy way to decipher what letters they are

>> No.8028088

>>8024757
Why not? I'm trying to figure you out.
>Kids will ruin your expensive clothes
Lots of teachers I've known wear designer clothes, never stopped them

>Kids will make fun of you/not take you seriously
That's kinda the fault of the teacher isnt it? No matter how whacky the teacher looks, they should be an engaging personality in the first place.

>Nobody will hire you
That's plausible. Maybe if you ease yourself in a year or so into the career, or wear strictly casual.

>> No.8028091
File: 993 KB, 250x250, 1416525191460.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8028017

>> No.8028092
File: 46 KB, 600x450, macaroon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8024753
>Where do you work?
Couple cafes, I make coffees all dang day.

Hair accessories. I have an insatiable love for the acrylic headbands Angelic Pretty & BTSSB make, but also some of their smaller ones.

>Any tips?
For this job? Be a suck up to your manager so they're okay with your "outlandish" gear.
Or at least convince them it's part of your "flair" kek.
Seriously though, a lot of customers seem to like it, and I get compliments from a lot of women, and even a policeman. Retired men will compliment fresh young ladies no matter what.

Kinda off topic, but I feel kinda behind all you guys with your "real jobs". I dunno where I want to go career-wise, I was thinking Marketing or Graphic design but those are pretty over-saturated. Still being a loser barista with shit pay all day but at least I enjoy talking to the people.

>> No.8028095

>>8024807
You may of went to a real nice school then. I remember our teacher said their rule was "smart casual" stuff but they wore pretty normal, a lot of the time, general street clothing. Public school.

>> No.8028097

>>8025618
Oi, did you forget to say "had", or are you not allowed to be here?

>> No.8028107

>>8025604
I read a bit about work as a mortician, sounds like great pay but is sometimes messy. Unexpected messy things with the corpses can happen apparently. I dunno, tell me I'm wrong, you'd know more.

>> No.8028122

>>8028107
if by messy you mean boners then yes

>> No.8028124

>>8025592
not lolita sorry

>>8025625
yeah, i'm sure that guy in hawaiian shirts really messed up some kid's heads

>>8025626
seriously? lolita isnt about prints, patterns, or wigs. it's the silhouette. the end.

>>8027937
dang, which pizza place was that? i oddly miss working in fast food. btw we had the same rules, same clothes, only a gray shirt.

>> No.8028126

>>8028097
Anon did specify they're in 12th grade, so it's possible they're 18.

>> No.8028128
File: 176 KB, 1024x1365, tips to you mlady.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8028030
i'm sorry, not to offend you personally but the way you worded your first paragraph me me think of this

>> No.8028130

>>8028128
where did you get that picture of me

>> No.8028138

>>8028126
Mm, maybe we're on different pages but:

Year 12 = Graduate at 17
Year 12s just graduated last month (Australian school years start from January, and finish in December, not like September in USA etc)

Meaning either that anon is 17/18, and forgot they've left (I remember that feel), or they're redoing Year 12 and turning 19 this year? Meaning they might have been kept back twice, or perhaps born very very late in the year to go down a grade.

>> No.8028143

>>8028138
Idk man I'm from a country with a completely different system but what I've gathered from the internet and television series is that plenty of kids turn 18 in their last year of high school. One of my friends turned 18 a month into her last year and she was never held back or anything.

>> No.8028144

>>8028130
don't you remember me? i upvoted your insightful post about mana worship on /raschelit/.

>> No.8028152

>>8028143
Yeah, in Australia (or my state anyway, I think Victoria is slightly different), we start Year 1 at age 5 (if you're turning 6 that year), or 6 if you're born very late (i.e. December - this is normally a choice with the parent though, some parents choose to let them stay with their age group).

So in Year 12, all kids who weren't held back due to not being able to keep up, or being born in December etc. and graduating were almost all born in 1997.

Regardless. If that person really is in Grade 12 for 2015, that means they either are 18 and held back, or are 16 or 17 years old. Unless they had their birthday yesterday or today.

>> No.8028236

>>8027962
Yeah, taking the subway into Queens is pretty bad. It's about as crowded as you can get. Manhattan is really not that bad unless you rush into the tourist locations.
If you avoid 42nd street (times square), Wall Street, harlem and upper east side it should be fine. I stick to downtown and central and have no problems there.
If you go to central park, there's a place where lots of performers gather. it's a great place to take pictures. It's called the Boardwalk, I believe.

>> No.8028245

>>8028236
Oh, I didn't really mean that in a crowded sense. I just find a good chunk of the city really isn't okay with a lot of alt. fashion. At least MUCH less than people think NYC is, since they only seem to be thinking of one area of the Village were alt. fashion is pretty much the norm.

>> No.8028249

>>8028245
*where
Damn it

>> No.8028263
File: 152 KB, 400x267, 1408504163946.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Where do you work?

Trainee at a goldsmith workshop

I can't.

>> No.8028268

>>8028263
Do you hate the job or just that you cant wear it?

>> No.8028299
File: 23 KB, 270x188, m.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8028268

I really love my job but just can't wear anything fancy, one have to work with fire, chemicals and rotating machinery

>> No.8028380

>>8028124
I work at Abby's Legendary Pizza, a chain of pizza restaurants in the Western US

>> No.8028386

>>8028263
what a cool job

do you ever end up swiping offcuts

>> No.8028405

>>8025457
so how do you incorporate Lolita into your life otherwise anon?

>> No.8028493

I work with software quality assurance. I don't wear lolita to work that often, but when I do wear it it's usually for days when we have our regular after work events. I do usually dress pretty strange/j-fashiony in general though, I've had a few people I've never talked to before be like "oh, you're that girl who wears such cool clothes". Everyone's been really cool with it and I get a lot of compliments, there's been some lighthearted teasing from the people I work closely with but that's to be expected, I think. They don't really mean anything by it or think less of me for wearing it, it's just office banter. I'm the most senior tester in our team right now and I behave professionally so people still ask my opinion on things and listen when I talk, I don't think my clothing choices make them respect me any less.

Slightly off topic; there seems to be a lot of lolitas here working in labs? That's pretty cool, if a bit unexpected.

>> No.8028500

>>8028088
>"Kids will make fun of you/not take you seriously"
>That's kinda the fault of the teacher isnt it? No matter how whacky the teacher looks, they should be an engaging personality in the first place.
That's not right. You can't just say "oh, they should just be an amazing teacher so their attire gets ignored." It's like the Bunny Ears Lawyer trope - yes, if you're amazing at your job, people might ignore it, but the fact is that most people are not and cannot be absolutely outstanding teachers even if they try (think about how many you had in school - I'm betting it wasn't many). The first couple of years after teacher training are especially hard, and it's very difficult for teachers to get a handle on things like classroom control. Trying to add an alternative fashion into the mix will only make things more difficult, as well as giving the management a stick to beat you with (or something they can say has to go and then you never get to introduce again) when you struggle as most new teachers do to get respect from a class.

If a lolita had been a teacher several years, already had decent classroom control, and wanted to gradually starting lolita into their work wardrobe or wear it from the start at a new job at a new school, then I'd say it's up to their professional judgement. If they think the atmosphere of their school would be fine with it, then go for it. But for someone like OP who's currently in training and will soon be a new teacher? No fucking way.

>> No.8028515

>>8028092
I have a real job and, despite the burando money, I kind of envy you. I miss being able to chat to customers like I could in college. There's a big age gap between me and most of my co-workers and I don't really know any of them.

>> No.8028552

>>8028405
I wear it when I'm not at work. I don't believe in it being a special occasion fashion or even having to leave the house to wear it; I'm quite happy to put a full outfit together to mess around at home, cook, or even just to get groceries. I change out of "hospital clothes" and shower once I get home anyway, because I don't really want my home environment to have the same microflora as the hospital. I do have normalfag clothes as well, but I got fat and don't fit my jeans or shorts at the moment so lolita is better if I'm gonna have to wear a dress or skirt anyway.

>> No.8028889

>>8028245
I'm pretty sure most of downtown and Central is okay with it. There will always be those people who call you out on it, but in general there really aren't that many negative reactions (in Manhattan).
People generally tend to ignore you on subways. They'll literally look at you and then avert their gaze. That's all. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if I'm not meeting their crazy expectations. Are they waiting for me to burst into song?

>> No.8029351

>>8028138
>>8028152
Well there's the Good Start system in some states.
The Aust. government placed a cut off birth-date for enrollments, so anyone born after that date (I think it's July 1st) has to enroll for the next year. This means that a certain number of year 12 students are actually 18.

>> No.8029440

>>8029351
I haven't heard of this - that makes sense! Is it only new though? That would mean it may not apply to that person if so.

I don't really care if that person is here underage, I just find it interesting.

>> No.8032676

>>8024753
1. Buy nice, attractive work clothes in black, grey, and white. Nail that interview, dress professionally.

2. Work; make more money then you ever have before in your life with that college degree.

3. Buy burando.

4. Every waking moment you are not working, wear the shit out of that lolita.

>> No.8032679

>>8029351

I live in the states and my school's county had a cut off limit. Several seniors were 18-19.

>> No.8032686

>>8032676

I'd like to add to this, you can wear the fashion to special events. (It'd be acceptable on Halloween, close to Christmas/Easter, it would be appropriate to wear head bands and accessories in the right colors, homecoming events...)

And you can wear lolita to faculty/office parties, outings, and anytime your doing something business related in a social setting.

>> No.8032790

I work in an oil and gas office building;
I wear very toned down classic to work on some days; Nobody even bats an eye.
Dressing nice is a very important part of my company's standards.

However there's a girl in my comm who wears sweet lolita to work.
At first I thought she was joking until I saw tumblr pictures of her talking about it and the guys at my work making fun of her when they stopped in to buy some video games.

Don't wear sweet to your job girls;
It just puts off customers.

>> No.8033484

I work in an office were there is no dress code, but most people wear jeans + t-shirt. Would it be acceptable to wear casual classic/Gothic?

I'm stuck between expanding my wardrobe with more casual pieces or searching for more elaborate dresses I'd only ever wear on the weekends.

>> No.8033514

I work at a call center so I wear toned down classic and gothic. No one cares since I am not interacting with people face to face but I wouldn't wear ott sweet to work.

>> No.8034895

>>8028016
Graphic designer! Any other lolitas wit this major?

>> No.8034907
File: 1.52 MB, 1173x1098, j fashion for work.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8024753
I made this weird collage ages ago for a similar thread, anyone else feel like making "work appropiate" coord collages?

>> No.8039682

>>8028016
Haha look at you with a computer science degree, how quaint. Why don't you go and get a real computers degree.

Computer science, the civil engineering of the computer world.

>> No.8040071

>>8028107
I mean yeah, but I wouldn't be spending all day embalming. Like there's the clothes you wear to embalm people and then the nice, dressy clothes you wear to deal with families and stuff.

>> No.8040084
File: 89 KB, 500x647, otome red white.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've just finished my introduction at a sort of charity art-related place and it's dawning on me I can probably wear otome or even slightly gothy jfashion. The lady I work with dresses smartly but there are people in jeans, trainers and hoodies.

Still, I can't quite bring myself to dress the way that feels more 'me'. It feels wrong to wear anythin too out there even if it's okay, and I guess it's easier to just grab something from my work clothes pile than actually think about what looks good. Sort of like a school uniform, effort-free and pre-approved.
It's nice knowing that I can be a bit scruffy and leave my piercings in, though. And that nobody is going to kick up a fuss about the size of my peter pan collars.

>> No.8040611

>>8034907
I don't think that those pirate boots are work appropriate, they look far too costumey for normal fag standards. Everything else is fine though. As far as lolita clothing could pass as normalfag stuff, it is work safe I guess. But that's nothing new

>> No.8040632

>>8040611
I dunno, I think the pirate boots could pass for the regular slouchy boots you see people wearing these days.