[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 175 KB, 736x505, aathread.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7995795 No.7995795 [Reply] [Original]

Post table setups, product ideas, tutorials and everything artist alley related.

Resources: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l-9tZn_PaqsZWkb5SB_aqwh7uvURyoLgdsQiuz_Ty08/edit#gid=0

Previous thread: >>7958735

>> No.7995806

I'm gonna start this with a discussion.

My friend and I were at a small con yesterday and started talking about buttons/pins.

Do you think they'll ever go out of style and become less popular?

>> No.7995842

>>7995806

I don't really think so. I personally don't care for buttons anymore, but since a ton of younger people go they seemed to be obsessed.

I think its likely that as people get older they will like them less, but there is always going to be the influx of a younger crowd.

Another point about buttons is because of their low price, almost anyone can afford them, so if someone likes your stuff but doesn't have much cash they can always pick up a button.

>> No.7995858

As someone who isn't talented artistically/ as a shopper I'm pretty curious..

How do you decide what to sell?
Do you go for fan art or your own originals?
Do you go for whatever's currently popular or the classics?
What kind of things do you sell the best? Buttons, plushies, prints, etc?

>> No.7995874

>>7995806
I doubt it. Mainly because they're a cheap piece of merchandise anyone can buy and it's a staple at many events. Sport events, bands and musicians, different media outlets all do sell buttons. They're commonplace.

>> No.7995963

I'm slightly confused by how copyright works. I've always been under the impression that it was illegal to profit off of someone's characters, but obviously that's not the case or AA's wouldn't be the thing. So, would it be legal for me to draw characters like Mew or Dr. Seuss, put them on T-shirts or other clothing, and sell them?

>> No.7995970

>>7995963

the thing is quantity and the company. Some companies don't care (ie most japanese ones) unless you are pirating an already existing product, others only care if you sell them in high volumes, other like disney will C&D your ass as soon as they hear word of it.

>> No.7995972

>>7995806
One of my major products is pins and I was thinking about this. I have only been in the AA circuit for about a year now and already I have gotten tired of pins. There were artists I had met who I wish I would have just splurged the money on a print as opposed to a button.

I think they'll always be popular because a large demographic of AA's are teens and I only ever find myself using buttons if I have a cheap bag/backpack to put them on. I carry a leather purse now and I don't want a button anywhere near that thing.

I've noticed people putting buttons on those eco friendly tote bags though. Do you think if artists sold tote bags it would influence the sale of buttons?

>> No.7995982

>>7995972
>Do you think if artists sold tote bags it would influence the sale of buttons?

I'd definitely buy a tote bag from the artist if the design was cute. I'd have to get one later, so might as well kill two birds with one stone.

>> No.7995988

>>7995970
There's hundreds of thousands of Disney items on Etsy, though

>> No.7996044

>>7995988

Mostly because they stay under the radar (see - as soon as disney finds out). Storenvy I believe will take Disney properties as soon as they are reported.

>> No.7996064

I have a questions for artists selling their prints.
I've been in the AA for a while now but i still feel asking other artists how they do it.

What size do you usually get your prints?
how much do you charge per print?
Do you sell fan art or OC?
Glossy or Matte?

>> No.7996178

>>7995858
>How do you decide what to sell?
90% of the time it's me gushing over a new show and wanting to create something from it. But there are times where I'll admittingly draw something that's the flavour of the year and really popular.

>Do you go for fan art or your own originals?
I'm trying to get to the 50/50 stage. (I'm at a 80 fan/20 original state right now) I've been designing more original stuff with my Nintendo DS cases which seems to be doing quite well so far.

>Do you go for whatever's currently popular or the classics?
I try to do both. I love my Cowboy Bebop and Cardcaptor Sakura too much to let them go. And there's always a couple nostalgic fans at my booth :)

>What kind of things do you sell the best? Buttons, plushies, prints, etc?
My Nintendo DS cases, then keychains/buttons, and then prints. I really want to get into cosmetic mirrors and tote bags next year <3

>>7996064
>What size do you usually get your prints?
I just do 11x17. But a lot of other artists also do 8.5x11 and mini prints of 4x6.
There's one size larger than 11x17 that I've seen more and more artists doing as well

>how much do you charge per print?
I do the deal of $15 each, 2 for $25, and 3 for $30.
I see a lot of people go as low as $10 each for 11x17 though, and the really good artists sometimes charge up to $20-$25.

>Do you sell fan art or OC?
Fanart. Someday I'd like to start doing more OC stuff.

>Glossy or Matte?
Matte. Personal preference though. I hate seeing fingerprints with glossy.

>> No.7996184

>>7995842
>>7995874
>>7995972
Glad I'm not the only one.

My tablemate thinks it'll die in the next 5 years or so since the market is so oversaturated with them and they're so easy to make/turn a profit that every table will have them. (Which I argued is kind've the case already, that almost every table has some buttons and it hasn't changed anything)

But I think if the young'uns and people looking for a small trinket keep coming, it'll work out until the end of time.

>> No.7996197

>>7995972
>I've noticed people putting buttons on those eco friendly tote bags though. Do you think if artists sold tote bags it would influence the sale of buttons?

Maybe if you had some deal of buy a tote bag get a button free. Then people might be tempted to get one or two more at least to round out a set I think they'll continue ot do well on their own because it's the cheapest way for an artist to represent as many characters as possible and reach many fandoms while still being reasonable quality unlike laminated paper keychains.

>> No.7996203
File: 97 KB, 368x607, il_fullxfull.470237067_rx1z.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7996184
In 5 years we will have also cycled through many new big fandoms and there's plenty of kiddies in middle school now who are just discovering animu and vidya and that grownups can like cartoons too. Five years from now the kids will be like Attack on what now?

>> No.7996294

>>7995806

I did my first AA last year and sold pins, thinking they would be hugely popular. A few of the more popular sayings sold out, but I have well over half my inventory still left. I don't know if people aren't buying them or if they just weren't buying mine specifically. I feel like they used to be more popular, but who knows.

>> No.7996311

>>7996064
11x17, sometimes 12x18 if it's something I'm really proud of/has a lot of detail. I might go up to 13x19 since my local printer does them for cheap
$15, $3 for 30. Sometimes 2 for $20 if it's a small/slow con
Mostly fanart. I don't really have a lot of original stuff, though I'd like to do more
>Glossy or Matte?
Generally matte, but I see the appeal of glossy. Glossy tends to have more vibrant colors and can look more impressive, depending on the piece.

I draw some shit, agonize over how unproductive I am, and in a procrastinating rush, just print whatever shit I've churned out and hope for the best.

Usually fanart.

I go with what I'm feeling at the moment. I wish my displays/inventory had more coherence, but I tend to jump all over the place.

This season, I'm thinking about doing some 1D stuff, not only because the fandom is fucking insane but.... well, fuck, I love 1D.

>What kind of things do you sell the best?Buttons, plushies, prints, etc?
It really depends on the seller. I feel like I wouldn't be super great at buttons because I don't really care for them. I don't think I'd be great with plushies because I'm not good at doing nauseatingly cute stuff. I'd like to get into keychains, but my chibis are shit.

People have preferences as artists, and a lot of that reflects in the products they make. In general, I feel like people with stronger illustrative capability will gravitate towards prints to showcase that, while people who like simpler/cuter styles will go with small cute things like pins, stickers, stationary, etc.

And then you've got the lazy shits who want to make a quick buck and print out "Superwholock" on pins and sells those. Don't respect them, but that's probably no skin off their nose.

>> No.7996315

>>7995858

Fujoshi anon here.

I look to see what others are selling in terms of items, what is popular, but what I love. I'll research a series enough to draw from it if I think it'll sell, but I usually draw what I like. My whole booth is yaoi-themed though, so the biggest factor I guess would be if it's fujoshi material. I went with that niche because I'm a fujoshi, but it also happens to be a good market now.

Last year just did fanart and design stuff (mostly posters with sayings from shows or for the sports teams, if it wasn't actual fanart). My only original items were my yaoi design prints, but this year I'm going to produce a limited number of prints of my OC art.

Mixture. I have a ton of FMA fanart, but I tried to put in some new stuff like Free and DMMD. This year I'm hoping to add Haikyuu, maybe a Kamisama Kiss print, maybe go for some old school Ai no Kusabi, and I'm going to try and finally get an AoT fanart print in there. My design posters will depend on what's out and popular, but will definitely be more sports anime. Usually it comes down to what I like, so it's a strange mix.

Buttons didn't sell as well as I hoped. All of my Free fanart and AoT design prints sold out, both sizes. My design posters sold pretty well, too. Chibis were hit or miss, but the Free ones were super popular. Prints did really well though.

>What size do you usually get your prints? How much do you charge per print?
- 11 x 17 - $15 each, buy 2 get 1 free
- 4 x 6 - $5 each, buy 2 get 1 free
- Chibi charms - $3 (husbando - 1), $5 (OTP - 2), $10 (orgy - 5), $15 (f*ck the team, all characters in a series)
- Buttons - $2 each, 10 for $10

>Glossy or Matte?
Always matte for me.

>> No.7996341

>>7996184
>>7996203

>It's been how many years since One piece been active?

>Dragon ball has been out since 1986 and they are still making movies/people know what it is.

Not even a fan but they could milk Attack on Titan for a long time if it remains popular. It won't be mainstream popular but people will still know what it is.

>> No.7996369

>>7996341
Its just an example. I think there will be a spike again after the second season happens but I think a lot of fans are dropping off with the current manga storyline. Maybe a better example would be Bleach or Hetalia.

>> No.7996524
File: 222 KB, 328x324, bub.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7995858

How do you decide what to sell?
I generally try to sell whatever I'm proud of and what I'm trying to make my business about. I make prints, buttons, and I am now playing around with a method to make keychains and jewelry.

Do you go for fan art or your own originals?
Before I used to be huge into fanart, but I generally stuck to fan art I enjoyed making. I'm a really huge nerd for video games, especially the retro kind. I used to be really focused onto that but I am slowly trying to inch away and create a new business focused more on original pastel j-fash barf.

Do you go for whatever's currently popular or the classics?
The classics, unless I'm really digging whats currently popular. I tend not to create pieces that are popular for the sake of making sales, I never enjoy making them and they suffer in quality because of it.

What kind of things do you sell the best? Buttons, plushies, prints, etc?
Buttons are my biggest sellers by far.

>> No.7996543

>>7996294
Post some pics of your buttons? People might be able to help you figure out why some aren't selling as much and give concrit.

>> No.7996782

>>7996294
I had something not sell at all one con just to have it sell out at another con.

>> No.7997776

>>7996524
Anon, do you have a web shop? I'd kill for a Bubble/Puzzle Bobble button.

>> No.7997813

>>7995858

What I have time for and what resources I have on hand. Usually this means prints, needle felted items and commissions.

I had a 50/50 split for prints and 100% original items, I'm going to go 100% fanart in prints and keep the 100% original items.

Classics. I haven't watched anything new since like 2007 or something.

I can sell out of my needle felted things, and I get pretty close to selling out my fanart prints, but I make really low numbers of those items so I don't have to carry a bunch of inventory between shows.

>>7996064

13x19 only

$20 - I might do deals depending on how things go this year but I haven't had enough stuff that people want to buy together to justify lowering the price. Also I don't do sales last day because I think it fucks early adopters.

Both, going pure fanart though.

>Glossy or Matte?

Matte but I want to get my hands on a good semigloss printer.

>> No.7998514

Can I request some pics of tables with wire cube displays? Specifically ones like the OP where it's set up more like a wall and less like stacked cubes.

>> No.7998526
File: 95 KB, 748x960, art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm looking to make something like pic related but broach sized (with a less detailed drawing of course). I'm kind of at a loss as to where to get cute frames for this kind of thing that would be big enough. Does anyone have any ideas?

>> No.7998556

>>7998526
Not saying this to be snarky, but it may help if you spelled brooch correctly. I found a lot of cute options when I googled "brooch base". http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-brooch-base.html

>> No.7998560

>>7998556
Yeah I had a long shift at work and I'm really tired and stupid. Thanks.

>> No.7998563

>>7998560
It's okay, we all have those days.

>> No.7998568

>>7998563
I work retail and it's holiday season. I have them every day that I have to go to work.

>> No.7998577

Semi related artist alley question. I'm thinking of making a small art book/doujin? Yknow, with about 20-30 full colour pages of my art. Planning to get a table during the next con and sell them as well as online. How many should I print?

>> No.7998600

>>7995858

I tend to produce art at a steady pace, most of it tends to be transparent characters floaring in space so I pick out what I like best from them and slap a quick background on which tends to be a color from the character x white diagonal stripes, maybe with stars clustered around the bottom. Otherwise I think of something that'd make a nice print and just draw it. For buttons I'll pick a series and just do character face buttons, then have sets for a discoutned price

Fan art, my art isnt super duper pretty or detailed so people wouldn't be drawn to my original art. It's the characters they want.

Mixed bag tbh, I tend to go for what I'm interested in. Sailor Moon, Creamy Mami, CCS, but also Persona, Madoka, and Dangan Ronpa to name a few

Button sets and prints tend to sell pretty evently because they tend to be around the same price, then single buttons for the poor teenagers trying to get as much as they can for their money

>>7996064

A4 and A3, also 6x4 mini prints of some that I don't think are good enough to be a full print

A4 are $10, A3 $15, and 6x4 $6

>Glossy or Matte?

Matte since as nice as glossy is, every glossy print I've bought ends up annoying me from finger prints and sun glaring off them.

>> No.7998614

>>7995795
Are J-Fashion accessories and trinkets popular at all? I was wondering if I should take the plunge and try getting a table for the next big con in the Summer, but is there much of a return of profit?

>> No.7999340

>>7997776

I don't yet but I'm trying to set one up in the near future. Thanks for the interest !

>> No.8000660

So what's with this otakon thing I'm hearing about with them being massive jews trying to sell fanart-only tables for 1k?

>> No.8000686

>>8000660
what the actual fuck? Bumping this for answers

>> No.8000691

>>7998614

Oh definitely, especially if they're a good price and have a cute design to them.

I make Classic Lolita jewelry. I sold quite a bit at both small-ish cons I was at (around 500 gross, more like 300 after I deduct supplies and costs). You just have to keep in mind that cheap sells more, but there will always be people who appreciate quality, so don't get discouraged when people shy away because of prices.

>mfw asshole of artist alley director wanders over to my table and calls my stuff expensive
>range is 2.50 to 15 euros, with most in the 10 to 15 range
>gee thanks for having faith in my table

>> No.8001991
File: 297 KB, 432x576, SAM_4324.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

After all the resin stuff in the last thread, I had a go at the flat art domed with resin thing. I've got quite a few in the works, but only 4 are actually completed (this charm, and three other pieces are brooches)

>> No.8002023

>>8001991
Hey anon, that's cute! What did you use for painting it?

>> No.8002061

>>8002023
Thanks! It's watercolor on canson mixed media paper. I know most people were talking about using shrink film, but I domed both sides so it's still pretty thick and sturdy.

>> No.8002093

>>8000686
Infodump at the Otakon forums.

Basically, they're selling 13 "Unlimited" tables for 1k each. Registration and selection is a week before the regular lottery (all the other tables in the alley). Same table sizes, same height limit (5'), comes with 2 badges and no limitations on fanart.

At most something like that in the Otakon AA should be worth $500. You're paying the other five hundred to suck their dicks, basically.

>> No.8002095

>>8002093
Forgot to mention, the 1k tables are FCFS

>> No.8002164

>>8002093
Will people actually buy them? I feel like even remy wouldn't deal out that kind of cash.

>> No.8002232 [DELETED] 

>>8001991
That is so fucking cute, I can't wait to get home and craft over the holidays.
Does the resin lead to any ink blurring/bleeding when you apply it?

>>8002095
>FCFS
So basically a money grab attempt by Otakon. Good to know

>> No.8002233

>>8001991
That is so fucking cute, I can't wait to get home and craft over the holidays.
Does the resin lead to any ink blurring/bleeding when you apply it?

>>8002095
>FCFS
So basically a money grab attempt by Otakon. Good to know

>> No.8002234

>>8001991

I want this, do you have a store online?

>> No.8002275

>>8002233
You need to modge podge it first.

>> No.8002278
File: 349 KB, 720x360, SAM_4327.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8002233
Thanks! It doesn't do anything to the color, but it does seep into the paper and make it darker and transparent like it's permanently wet. I just counter that by painting the back white (pic related). The two on the right aren't painted for reference.

>>8002234
>http://chasingthefrill.storenvy.com/
I don't have any of my resin up yet though, my shop is mostly crochet.

>> No.8002289

>>8002278
Have you tried printing on thicker photo quality paper?

>> No.8002295

>>8002289
They're hand painted, not printed.

>> No.8002316

>>8002295
Sounds tedious, inconsistent, and unnecessary.

>> No.8002327

>>8002278
YOUR STUFF IS SO CUTE. ESPECIALLY THE RABBIT SCARF.
might buy

>> No.8002357

>>8002164
My roomie's gonna go for it. She's nowhere near Ramy's level, but last year's Otakon was profitable enough that we both profited a fair amount with a >1k overhead. Even with a 2k overhead, a decent artist could probably make a couple thou profit.

Ramy regularly makes 10k+ at cons, so a 1k table is probably no big deal to him.

>>8002233
Yeah basically.

>> No.8002387

>>8002295
>>8002316
You could try doing one and then scanning it? Print it on watercolor paper after editing it a bit to clean. That seems like a decent alternative so that you can sell multiples.

>> No.8002396
File: 17 KB, 327x273, Argh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8002278

I love your stuff!

>tfw all the brooches and shit I wanted were out of stock

>> No.8002408

>>8002387
No scanner, but I have been photographing most of them prior to resin. I forgot to do it with my current batch though. My photos are probably okay enough to print, but I do have access to a scanner on the weekends, if I can keep myself from just cutting them out and working on them right then and there.

>>8002327
>>8002396
Thank you.
And jeez that fish...

>> No.8002444

>>8002408
I think you should wait and scan any of the designs you think would sell well.

The cat one is incredibly cute, you could try doing a circus themed set?

>> No.8002543

I posted this a little while ago but the problem is still going on:

My storenvy will randomly close itself during the day. Does anyone know what's going on? People are visiting my store and can't buy shit because of it.
Leaving the storefront/options open doesn't do anything, I have to manually reopen it every time and check every couple of hours. At this point I'm ready to give up entirely on storenvy, it's given me nothing but shit since I started using it.

>> No.8002595

>>8001991
Did you make the tiny holes for the jump rings before or after and what tool did you use?

>> No.8003027
File: 92 KB, 600x600, tumblr_n4s66w4Djk1sk557lo1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8002357
Hey Tim do you have a link to where this was posted? I tried looking at the forums and didn't find any aa discussion.
Also are regular tables still lottery? Any idea when they'll put up registration?

Also to contribute the thread, I think pepfoxs brooches are also made out of resin and shrink plastic so here's some inspiration.

>> No.8003121

>>8002278

Do you ever mod podge your pieces? Or I hear you can also seal paper with packing tape.

Just a heads up, it'll eliminate the wet look.

>> No.8003134

>>8002543
Sorry if this comes off redundant but have you tried using a different browser? I had a similar issue too until I opened my store in chrome instead of firefox for some reason.

>> No.8003144

>>8002595
After. I just stabbed a need through it then used a tapestry needle to widen it enough for a jump ring.

>>8003121
When I was actually submerging my stuff in resin, I tried both methods and still managed to get watermarks. I don't mind the wet look as long as it's uniform and not splotched, but both as I said are fixed with the white painted back. It's a lot easier to just paint the back once while they're on the sheet than cut them out and coat both sides with mod podge or seal with tape and have to cut them out again.

>> No.8003189

>>8003144
So probably best way to not get water seeping through is shrink plastic then.

>> No.8003260

>>8003189

Yeah probably. I've tried this method already on some charms I was working on for a convention. Of course the shrink plastic wont get water marks but I was most worried about the ink running and getting smudged and gross.

But it didn't happen so its a good method I think, more expensive than paper though

>> No.8003376

>>7998577
It depends, is your art good?

>> No.8003474

>>8002093
man what the fuck is wrong with otakon? All I ever hear about it is how the AA and it's staff is fucked up but artists still flock to it because it's such a popular con.

Now this 1k table business. It makes me mad because I know there will be artists who will jump on this because they can still make a profit but it just allows Otakon to make more bullshit rules and see artists as unlimited money sacks.

>> No.8003650

>>7995970
Thinks of omocats anime work.

>> No.8003778

Couple questions

1) would a print artist who isn't 100% ponies drown at bronycon?

2) Is AWA worth going to for someone from the Boston area? What is attendance/etc.. like?

Thanks!

>> No.8003847

>>8003027
Sure thing
>http://board.otakon.com/index.php?showtopic=26404

You gotta have an account with the boards to access it.

Regular tables are lottery. Registration is Jan 28--Jan 29

>> No.8003982
File: 16 KB, 350x350, throw-out-the-trash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8003847
I thought the Otakon thing was still "under construction", like the rules were still subject to feedback and revision.

>>7995795
>Oh jesus why did they have to use my old setup...

>> No.8004131

>>8003474
Otakon does a shitty job monitoring tables as it is. Tables with way too much fanart get away with it and other tables following the rules get judge and harassed by staff. This is just "give us 1k and we won't bother you all weekend."

>> No.8004197

>>8003982
I love your set up in the OP pic! Was there somethings you didn't like about it?

C-Can I... ask what your most recent set up looked like?

>> No.8004221

>>8004197
It's not that I like my current setup any better (I don't). I'll be switching to a completely different setup soon and I cringe at having to use the wire grids.

>> No.8004787

>>8003982
Sorry MyFebronia, it was one of the setups I liked best for the thread image I wanted to make :)

I liked your cute little blue/white roof tooper

>> No.8007084

>>8003260

Would simply printing on 110 lb cardstock prevent it from getting that wet look, or is shrink plastic still the best? I really want to try this, but I want to keep the costs down on my end, and the customer's end.

>> No.8007328

So seagulls, how did you get started doing artist alley?
I have been wanting to try to make items to sell, but I keep feeling discouraged or overwhelmed, I see so many greats booths.

>> No.8007340

>>8007328
First find something you like making and that there aren't a million of already. Go in thinking about artist alley but don't jump right in. Start an etsy store to get a chance to get some experience selling and take the time to work out improving your product in a lower stress setting before bringing it to real-time sales. If you're an artist try to develop an audience. Don't aim for a big con first. Start with a small local-ish one where you won't be out a lot of money if it doesn't go awesome your first go. Even if you don't make a lot of money the knowledge will be valuable.

>> No.8007364

>>8007328
Team up with a friend for your first one, one you can trust.

>> No.8007555

>>8007340
What's a good budget to have for a local con like animenext? I'm thinking about doing 4-5 different prints, some mini prints, handmade charms/maybe zapcreative ones, and stickers. Not sure how many of each I should have if it's my first/only con for this year, I'd really like to prepare myself for the cost of everything in advance.

I also have a childhood friend to split the table with that I trust.

>> No.8007588

>>8007328

What I want to know is how to actually get into an Alley. I've been trying for two years to get into a handful of cons with no such luck.

>> No.8007652

>>8007588
Most of the time it's just knowing when AA opens and applying asap. FCFS cons are getting harder to get into so know when apps open a head of time helps.

If it's random selected or juried set up a Flickr/Tumblr/Deviantart and upload a portfolio including any buttons, charms, and other merch. Depending on the con you may want to submit more original art than fanart. Don't forget on your application to list everything you're selling. A convention is more likely to select an artist that has a wide selection of items over on that's just a print artists. Even if you are mostly prints list the type they are (bookmarks, posters, postcards, sketchbooks).

>> No.8008597

Do the con people get mad if you sell really shitty quality stuff? Like prints of really bad art, shitty doo-dads, and offensive comics?

I was accepted for an artist alley but I can't be arsed to make quality goods.

>> No.8008692

>>8008597
are you stupid
just give the table to someone who actually wants it

>> No.8008711

So I googled this with no luck but I have no experience with doing AA and/or selling stuff online. How do you go about obtaining a tax ID for a con if you're just a regular Joe with no business?

>> No.8008713

>>8008711
accept cash only

>> No.8008714

>>8008597
The con people won't frown you just won't make much money unless you have something AoT and that one girl I met who "HAVE TO BUY EVERYTHING ATTACK ON TITAN" happens to be there.

>> No.8008720

>>8008713
The thing is most cons require you to have a tax ID for your state and the state the con is in now. I look through my state's tax website and it's telling me I have to pay $200 just to register for the damn thing.

>> No.8008725

>>8008714
Is there anything else that obsessive people will buy without thinking? I want to try to at least break even. Does gay sell? Do gay prints sell better than gay comics? Does straight shit sell? I'm pretty much clueless but judging from the quality of shit people were hocking last year I think I can compete.

>>8008692
I might try to split the table if I can't make up enough bullshit in time to fill the whole space on my own.

>> No.8008752

>>8008725
Show us something you've made

On another note does AWA enforce their fanart rule strictly?

>> No.8008774
File: 81 KB, 638x857, atsuko jackson poster.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8008752
Sorry I don't have anything recent that's worksafe so here's something I drew a little while back.

>> No.8008800
File: 92 KB, 955x957, bait desu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8008597
>>8008774

>> No.8008804
File: 494 KB, 1000x1000, 3_BIGGER_GUNS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8008800
I was only half joking. I really don't have anything recent that's worksafe. This is as close as it gets.

>> No.8008808
File: 90 KB, 500x624, confuseddisgust.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8008804
I feel bad for whoever you have a vandetta against, the art is bad but do they really deserve this?

>> No.8008818

>>8008808
Is it good enough to break even though? I'm going to a smaller convention so costs are lower but so are potential buyers.

Are at-con commissions worthwhile?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm pretty new to this artist alley stuff.

>> No.8009043

>>8008752

The jury process is a strict 50/50, but the past few years I've been it was not enforced at all.

>> No.8009412

>>8008720

It didn't cost me to register, but I'm in TX. It depends on what kind of business you're setting up. I had to put mine in a specific category and I remember putting it in something for fine art. Essentially you're setting up a small business, so make sure you're getting whatever tax ID is for or recommended for small businesses (you don't want to set up a corporation, essentially).

What state do you live in? Maybe another anon can help out, or check the Artist Alley section of your con's forums. Heck, even emailing the AA person for the con, they might know. I asked a friend a TON of questions about registering for my ID when I did it, and it definitely helped out to know someone who'd been through it.

>> No.8009598

>>8003134
Chrome is my main/only browser. I just tried opening using firefox today instead. Checked a couple hours later, and it did the same thing. Thanks for the tip, I'm glad it worked for you at the very least!

I really hate storenvy at this point, I'll probably end up moving to Etsy because at least it's reliable afaik.

>> No.8010158
File: 130 KB, 500x828, mako-charm_mockup.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey guys I'm working on getting a set of acrylic charms done and had some questions.

For people that buy/make acrylic charms what's your favorite size to get them at? Do you like them with the strap/dustplug, jewelry, or as keychains? What things would you like to see them get made into?

I'm leaning towards 1.5" - 2" inches and charging maybe 6-8 dollars for them depending on what size I decide to make them as.

>> No.8010190
File: 335 KB, 770x915, skittglep_original_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8010158
I like my charms at 1-1.5", 2" is pretty big considering the size of a phone/handheld. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who buy those laminated monstrosities, so I'm sure people would buy 2". You could do what Mieau does and attach a little dustplug on with the strap (maybe have an add-on fee for an extra 50 cents).

I also think you're probably undercharging yourself it you go with 2". Go on storenvy and see competition pricing. I'd pay 5-6$ for a 1" charm. Your charm is really cute btw, I like your drawing style!

>> No.8010276

I know it's been said before that having 3 people to a table is a terrible idea, but some stuff happened and now I'm going to be tabling with 2 other people in an upcoming convention.
Are there any tips for making as much space as possible or any examples of any nice set ups?

>> No.8010277

>>8008720
You can get a free one through the IRS and then transfer it to your state, btw.

>> No.8011497

>>8010190
Noted. BTW are those Skitty charms yours? Because I need them in my life.

>> No.8011524
File: 410 KB, 976x1054, llbadges_-_cojjpie_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8011497
No! I want to buy Mieau's charms every time I see her update though.
I use her for packaging inspiration actually, it kills me how cute her packaging ideas are.

You can find her stuff here: mieau.storenvy.com

>> No.8011922

>>8009412
>>8010277
Sorry for asking a crap ton of questions but I register an EIN through the IRS and transfer it to my state and the state the con is in? I'm from NY and the con is in NJ. So far, everyone that I asked told me "LOL I never had to do that because I split the table." The con I'm going to has no forum other than a dead Facebook page and the AA head is really no help.

>> No.8012019

>>8011922
According the the NJ DoR, the fee only applies if your business is a corporation or LLC. Just register as a sole proprietorship for the time being.

>> No.8012066

>>8011922

Well, the business travels but if you're a resident of NY and the business is listed as NY for the address (presumably you're using your home address as the business address), then I would think you'd just need a NY tax ID. If they just need a tax ID #, I'd think a NY one would work (you will probably have to bring your tax ID to the con to show).

Because I would think that applying for a NJ tax ID with a business that has a registered address in NY would be weird, since you're NOT an LLC or corporation, and you're not setting up a brick and mortar store in NJ. You're essentially running this out of your home, but I'm not entirely sure what would be best. At the very least, yes, a NY tax ID. But if you do a federal registration and transfer it, then transfer to both states.

Have any other anons that travel out of state had to get a tax ID for each state, or just your home one?

>> No.8012688

>>8012066
I'm from NY and only needed a MA tax id to sell at Anime Boston. Things may have changed though, this was 2 years ago now and I haven't checked into it recently.

>> No.8015039

>>7995795
So I'm looking to sell some Foam props and weapons at a convention next year (Fanime 2015 in California) but they have weird laws about copyright and whatnot, when I asked they gave an example that I couldn't sell any form of keyblade as they already have licensed keyblades and it would fall under their definition of "knock-off" so I'm wondering if I'd be able to make other items that aren't as prominent in the series/don't have offical merchandise? For example, Kirito's Elucidator, the Attack on Titan swords, the Zengetsu from Bleach, etc. (No I don't like all those series I just think it'd be easy to make swords from popular anime or manga as I already have the tools to do so and have made some in the past) would I be able to get away with selling those if they aren't very prominent in the series? Sorry if I'm explaining it poorly but I'm just confused and they basically tell me it's up to me to find out what is and isn't legal.

>> No.8017941
File: 477 KB, 750x581, w01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you think making little letter sets like the ones pictured would sell? I'm thinking making some Hatoful Boyfriend ones.

>> No.8017948

>>8017941
Search archives! Can't remember exactly but people have spoken about this in great depth before, also about stationary and now sets with included pens.

>> No.8018037

>>8017941
I would totally buy Hatoful Boyfriend ones; Angel is my husbando.

>> No.8018159

>>8017941
How do you make something like this?

>> No.8018228

Did anyone fill out the LOI for animenext? I didn't even see that they had posted it and missed the window of time entirely.

>> No.8018291

>>8018159
Some people I know just buy a notepad from artzcow, tear some sheets off and pack it with some envelopes from the craft store.

>> No.8018699
File: 197 KB, 675x450, DIY-elastic-hair-tie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone sell these tied elastic hair ties? I got a bunch of pretty elastic mostly because it was on clearance. Not my usual item but it seems a little cheap to try and make and sell these without a little bit of beading or something added.

>> No.8019155

>>8018699
I don't sell them, but I've seen them at H&M and think they're incredibly stupid and ugly. I mean, you're right, the do look cheap, they are just tied strips of elastic. But I don't know, if people buy them, then go for it.

>> No.8019500

Does anyone have the resin domed art tutorial from the last thread? I think in the tutorial they were resin doming stickers? Also I saw some anon bought that table lacquer resin stuff cos it's cheaper, is that stuff actually any good for it?

>> No.8019525

>>8019500
Dif anon but how is using epoxy resin viewed also? I used it to dome some cabochons once and it was fine but I'm worried I'm missing something since nobody uses it.

>> No.8019542
File: 182 KB, 964x829, cute-tote-bags3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7995972

Tote bags (even cheapy ones) screenprinted with an artist's work would be AMAZING to see more often. They seem like they'd be cheaper for a seller to produce than tshirts (another thing that almost guarantees me buying one from you ) since they're only one size.

And they're so useful, both at the con and later on. Reusable shopping bags, auxillary carrying capacity if you tend to have small purses, etc.

>> No.8019574

>>7996178
>8.5 x 11

I work at a craft store, and realized the other day after helping someone that there are hardly any options (at least in our store-Michaels- dunno about our competitors) when it comes to putting something 8.5 x 11 in a frame. Only a couple cheap ugly frames and no pre-cut mats to make it it in a larger frame.

I know it's a common size because of printers, but for people who like to frame prints it's kind of a lousy format to use. Just my two cents as a buyer.

>> No.8019664

>>8019525
i think epoxy resin might be the stuff they use on tables actually!

>> No.8019669

I'm not sure if this is helpful to anyone on here, but Tumblr is obsessed with the team leaders, Maxie and Archie, from the new Pokemon ORAS games right now, along with the other members of Team Magma and Aqua. I would imagine that items with the team insignia on them would sell beyond Tumblrtards, but for the true tards, that Pokemon stuff is what's really popular right now. Same with Dragon Age.

>> No.8019742

>>8019664
I think epoxy is the weaker jewelry stuff and tables use a polyester?

>> No.8019865

Just a few questions for a newbie if any of you don't mind answering.
A friend and I were wanting to share a booth at a convention. Would be our first one that we've ever done, we are wondering if it is a good idea to split one. Also since it would be our first booth would it be better to go for a smaller size convention or would a large one be alright? Also neither of us are terrible artist, but we also do not have much online presence. Will that hurt our sales?

>> No.8019898

>>8019865
Yes, share a table! Cheaper, and makes everything easier.
I'd go for a small con, or one day con, then move up.
Are you just doing artwork, or making crafts too?

>> No.8019923
File: 212 KB, 1024x768, IMG_20141115_094019_092.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My first table from a one day con last month. I mostly sold furry tails and ears while my friend did artwork commissions. I made $380.
Going to a 3 day con next week, not sure what the size of it will be, but its in Nashville. I got more wire cages, and way more items. I hope it goes well.

>> No.8020033

>>8019742
Epoxy resin is clear resin that shouldn't be poured more than 2 inches deep or yellowing will occur. Polyurethane resin is opaque and used for casting. It is softer and doesn't have the limitation of how deep you can pour it I believe. There was this really in depth website I found about resins.

Tbh I feel like jewelry or crafting resin is just epoxy resin marketed towards crafters so it gets to be more expensive.
I'm sure there might be some variation in the formula but I used epoxy resin from the hardware store and it seems to work like everybody else's resin in tutorials.

>> No.8020076

>>8019898
Her and I both do artwork so probably the standard prints, pins, and possible keychains/totes/etc, but I also crochet and knit so I was thinking of also making sone small cute things for the tag and could take orders for bigger things such as waifu as a doll.

>> No.8020111

>>8020076
I'd definitely recommend sharing a table then since you don't need too much space. Its good to do a variety of things so you can see what sells well, so you know what to focus on for your next table.
Make sure that you keep your money safe! Having 2 people at one table is great since you can take turns going to the restroom and getting food and such without having to worry about someone stealing anything.

>> No.8020272

>>8018699

It could be cute for casual j-fashion or themed sets for magical girl shows. I could see girls wanting to buy them to have a reminder of a show, but not seem weeby.

>>8019865

If your art is quality, and attractive to buyers, they'll buy whether they know you or not. However, you should have a website, be it a DA or Tumblr or elsewhere, so you can direct them to follow you for future art (and if you decide to do another con). It'll build you a base. It's good to put on business cards, too.

My advice to first time sellers figuring out what to sell is to look at what art you currently have, and make a goal list of what art you want to draw for the con, too. Look into how much items are going to cost, and how much of each you'd need to sell to make back the money. I wanted to keep my upfront costs low my first con (midsize), so I set a "budget" of $500 that I was willing to invest in the table, setup (like wire frames), and materials costs. This way I knew, worst case, I was out $500, and that all I needed to break even was to sell $500 of stuff.

You also don't want to make too much stuff. If you anticipate doing it again, regardless, it's fine because you can recycle your inventory. But if you go for a small con, don't have TOO much inventory. Pre-con, I also totaled up everything I had and saw what my high end sales would be if EVERYTHING sold. Make sure that you have enough total inventory to cover costs, but you should have enough that you won't run out on the first day (and you should have enough inventory that you don't have to sell every single item to break even). I did run out of some items by day 2, and that was fine. I know next time to print more of that print.

>> No.8020572 [DELETED] 

>>8018699
If nothing else these look about 50 times more practical than most artist alley items. I'm personally someone who does really want weeb art or random keychains or straps. But a set of nice elastics with a little charm or bead for ~$5 would be something I would grab from AA

>> No.8020596

>>8018699
If nothing else these look about 50 times more practical than most artist alley items. I'm personally someone who doesn't really want weeb art or random keychains or straps. But a set of nice elastics with a little charm or bead for ~$5 would be something I would grab from AA

>> No.8021071

>>8020596

Make them in sports anime team colors and the fan girls will definitely buy.

>> No.8021170

Dear artists, please make merchandise of my favorite obscure characters instead of things that will actually sell.

With love,
Anonymous.

>> No.8021789

>>8021170
What are you into, anon? I don't really draw flavor of the month anime.

>> No.8021795

>>8021170
I usually draw things that I like since it's hard for me to draw something that I don't, and that usually includes less popular/known things.

Seconding 'what do you like'?

>> No.8021810

>>8018037

I just beat the BBL ending for that today! I will have to keep in mind making Hatoful Boyfriend merch, I wasn't sure if it would sell at all!

>>8017941
Yes I think they do. A friend of mine did a preorder for her original art ones and they sold like hot cakes. I personally love stationary so I would definitely buy.

>> No.8021821

>>8021810
I would highly suggest making Hatoful merch since it's going to be re-released on PS4 and Vita. I also know someone who would throw her wallet at anyone who would make good Shuu merch.

>> No.8021867
File: 338 KB, 448x580, kamiaso4_original.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How well do stickers sell? I want to get a Silhouette Cameo but my button machine just paid itself off (couple months online sales) and I'm not sure if I should jump right into another large investment, or?

I do conventions as well, however my big one doesn't allow sticker sales..

My style is pic related.

>> No.8022166

>>8017941
How can I find examples of this on etsy or storenvy? "writting letter set" doesn't give me much results. Or is it a con thing? I'm concerned of the pricing and what people usually adds on them.

>> No.8022183

>>8022166
Try "stationary set" instead maybe? I'm getting loads of results, but they aren't fandom related.

>> No.8022621

>>8021789
>>8021795
>what are you into
>what do you like

Putting a fellow on the spot like this, JEEZE.
I actually buy more for craftsmanship than for any specific character or series. I just like bitching.

Though I've always been a sucker for the Pokemon Pinsir.

>> No.8022631

i make art dolls, but they arent anime related they are fantasy and fairies, are there any cons in florida that would be good for that? do anime cons ever have srtists that do fairys? i tried to look but there is only anime and comic cons here in florida. also how many items do you guys generally take to a con for sale? i want to know how many dolls i should have to be ready!

>> No.8022632

>>8021867

I hate stickers based on the fact that I never know where to put them. At least with buttons/charms I can just put them on a cork base or something.

>> No.8022648
File: 315 KB, 1000x1000, tinklycricket.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8022632
I saw people sticking them on their planners/agendas like the picture < (Not that elaborated though, I saved it because it's pretty but it belongs from someone who makes scrapbook)

>> No.8022760
File: 2.28 MB, 353x234, 1295509212645.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8022621
>bitches about not enough obscurity in AA
>says he likes one out of 700+ pokemon

you know what anon just for you I'll draw nothing but pinsir from now on

pinsir keychains, pinsir stickers, pinsir prints, pinsir buttons

shit I'll invest in an embroidery machine so you can see me at a convention and I can embroider a pinsir into your chest

>> No.8022804

>>8022631
Everybody has Renn faires go look up one of those and sell there.

>> No.8022814

>>8022760
Well I could have said I wanted a Shinozaki Akina or Murai Masahiko keychain, but I doubted anybody would know who I'm talking about.

Also so many Pokemon get so little attention they might as well not exist.

>> No.8022827
File: 1.30 MB, 1000x1517, custom_notebooks__2__by_yami_hydran-d7lt27h.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Since we're on the subject of stationery and stuff, do you think notebooks with a character plastered on it would do well? What kind of paper would you like inside (lined/plain/graph)? Should I pack them with a pen and stickers?

>> No.8022854

>>8022814
google is a thing that exists

rather than tip toeing around the answers you want to give because of some pansy ass reason, if someone asks what the fuck series you're into then give them a straight answer. The more a series is talked about the more likely you'll see merchandise be made of it.

>> No.8022862

>>8022814
I wonder. If you did a stall with one item - buttons or keychains or plushes or something - but only made one for each pokemon and did an "adopt a pokemon" thing, how many and which ones would be left at the end of the con?

>> No.8022867

>>8022827
Plain. I never can find plain books tbh

>> No.8022875

>>8022862
...fuck if it wouldn't be so much work I'd try that myself.

>> No.8022920

>>8022862
you can bet your ass pinsir would be gone

>> No.8022932
File: 38 KB, 620x350, 580220-wooser_image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8022648
Are those made by the same artist for Wooser?

>> No.8023095

I've only ever done super tiny local cons. Decided to step it up and go to a bigger one and instantly ran into the problem of customers asking me if I had bags to put their purchases in. Where do you guys get your plastic bags, if you use them? I've tried browsing amazon and other online stores but everything seems pricey unless it's those trashy white ones that say 'thank you' on them, and those make me think of chinese takeout. Is it acceptable to use those?

>> No.8023098

>>8022862
That might be doable if you stuck with one generation but that's still a lot of work. I'm always on the lookout for Sandshrew/Sandslash though. Them and Shroomish. There's never anything with Shroomish on it, even actual Nintendo merch so even if it wasn't great I would probably pick it up if the price is fair. Every Pokemon has it's fan.

>> No.8023125

>>8021867
I love the style but the detail of them combined with how busy the background is makes me want to overlook them all.

>> No.8023142

>>8023095
http://www.clearbags.com/bags/handle/retail/7-mil-hdpe

https://www.etsy.com/search/supplies?q=plastic+handle+retail+bag&order=price_asc

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&_nkw=plastic+retail+handle+bag&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=shirt&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=&_fsradio2=%26LH_PrefLoc%3D1&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=15&_dmd=1&_ipg=200

>> No.8023147

>>8023142
Ugh long links

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xplastic+retail+handle+bag&_nkw=plastic+retail+handle+bag&_sacat=0

Ignore the grogery 't-shirt' bags in this link.

>> No.8023205

>>8023147
Thank you very much! Sorry about my poor searching skills.

>> No.8023371

>>8022183
Awesome, thank you! I found some people doing it and the price everyone goes is 8 bucks for : 4 or 5 writting sheets, 4 or 5 envelopes(most of them are not custom envelopes) and 1 tiny sheet of stickers(or pre cut stickers, goes arround 6 pieces) Is it me or it's a little overpriced? Perhaps it's just me.

>> No.8023412

>>8023147
Can I ask what you do if you have 11x17 prints and someone asks for a bag?

These links are great but I worry that none of these bags really accommodate larger prints

>> No.8023420

>>8023412
I use the 11x17 resealable protective closure clearbags. It doesn't have handles, but it does protect the print and gives a barrier to hold.

>> No.8023432

anyone know a good place to buy blank totes to print on? Also, how much would people pay for printed totes?

>> No.8023435

>>8023432
Oh! and would you rather buy a tote if it is embroidered instead of printed? Even if it was a little more?

>> No.8023436

Will the staff get mad if I don't sell anything, just promote?

>> No.8023438

>>8023436
Also is it looked down on to give drawings away at AA?

>> No.8023444

>>8023436
>>8023438
maybe not the staff but as an artist I would be pissed to see an empty table in the AA

>> No.8023469

>>8023438
Eehhhh it may work better for you if you get a halfway decent setup and raffle of prizes. Otherwise I would probably just ignore you.

>> No.8023570

>>8023444
Well, it wouldn't be empty. Just full of promotional stuff for a project.

>> No.8023573

>>8023469
Okay. Ill keep that in mind.

>> No.8023587

>>7998526
Very cute idea! I'm sure they'll turn out lovely when they're done!

>> No.8023661

>>8023371
8$ sounds pretty decent for all of that tbh. I would definitely make it at least 5 of each item though for the price.

How do you guys frame your 11x17" prints? I have a bunch just laying around that I really want to get framed, but I can never find frames that hold that specific size.

>> No.8023806

So I've been considering selling things for the first time, and I've no idea where to start. I apologize if this is incredibly newbie of me but I'd rather ask outright and get all the answers at once.

Background: I'm a NEET/Hiki who finally needs my own funding; not incredibly much since I'm still being mostly supported. I'm in my mid twenties and can have worked only a handful of jobs for spending money since my teens, so I'm not experienced with anything more than basic taxes (I live in the US). Currently, I'm not doing anything else useful with my time so something is better than nothing, which makes this viable even if I break even. I've done art for a long time and mostly kept it to myself, but I'm confident in my skills and the market I'm aiming for... (niche/fetish)

Plan: I wanted to do a monthly postcard or poster order where there's a reserve period based on previews on my website, and then I order as many as needed and ship them out to customers.

Questions:
Will print places freak out if they need to print something NSFW or strange (possibly softcore lolicon)?

Does this effect the legality of selling/shipping?

How do I go about filing taxes? Is it just random/personal income? I wasn't planning on registering a business or anything.

I would like to have a single bank account linked to PayPal for both business and personal use. I would use the business side for business, and the personal side for purchasing things. How do I keep the info between them separate from other people?

How does one normally ship printed goods? What is a safe method for doing so? I'm assuming plastic-wrapped around cardboard for postcards, and tubes for posters?

>> No.8023930
File: 442 KB, 761x693, gangsta 4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8023125
Thank you! I agree. I've started toning down my backgrounds so that the figures will pop more.

>> No.8024000

>>8023930
The fact you have Gangster anything makes me so happy. These buttons are so adorable!

>> No.8024053

Just wondering if people would be interested in a group order for stuff printed in Korea that JiMi doesn't offer (glasses cleaning cloths, hand towels, clear stickers, etc...). I moved to the US but I still have connections with the companies that did my merch for Comic World.

>>8023806
>Will print places freak out if they need to print something NSFW or strange (possibly softcore lolicon)?
Most print places will deny NSFW stuff (especially lolicon). For those kinds of things, I asked my friend overseas to get stuff printed out for me. The upside is that it's a little bit cheaper.

>Does this effect the legality of selling/shipping?
If you're selling obvious lolicon items, I wouldn't risk it if the people in your country are rather finicky about that. Some people can get away with selling porn of underage characters because they look "of age."

>How does one normally ship printed goods? What is a safe method for doing so? I'm assuming plastic-wrapped around cardboard for postcards, and tubes for posters?
For small flat prints and items, I put them in a nice clear sleeve then made a sandwich with two pieces of cardboard. I then put it in a bubble envelope for shipping. Tubes work well for posters but put a little bit more padding because I seen pictures of even the strongest tubes being crushed in the mail.

Sorry if you don't understand, English isn't my first language.

>> No.8024113

>>8024000
I have a problem with creating items for series that I love over what's popular (why can't I bring myself to draw Free!...)

Gangsta. is so good though, I'm excited and nervous for the anime this summer. Excited because it deserves attention and Kohske is such a special mangaka and I want her to see her work grow more and be adored. Nervous because I feel like it might become popular in a bad way and get a strange fandom..

OT: I'm just starting to branch out into cosmetic bags and I'm excited for that. It's hard to look them up and see what other people are doing, but I found a few ideas on popular dimension/prices so I think I'm ready to take it on.

>> No.8024121

>>8024053
I'm not sure you live in the same country as the anon you replied to but most of the info you wrote is wrong.

>> No.8024136

>>8022867
moleskine

>> No.8024141

>>8023806
you don't need to worry about taxes unless you start making a lot of money off of it anon. I'm not sure of the exact amount. Google would be able to tell you though if you think you're going to be making bank on this

>> No.8024197

>>8021071
That's a great idea, I would definitely be one of the people buying them.

>> No.8025136

>>8022814
>but I doubted anybody would know who I'm talking about
it's like we're not on an imageboard where you could post an image to go with your message to give people a visual clue as to what you were talking about

>> No.8025328

Any tips on getting into fanime? I know it's pretty late but I'm wondering if they're looking more for quality or diversity when picking artists.

>> No.8025823

>>8022827
I tried this but with because I picked fucking Shadow of the Colossus as my test piece it took me three cons to sell that one notebook. Never again

>> No.8025835

>>8025823
was it because it was SotC or was it because your art isn't that great
honest question.

>> No.8025851

>>8025835
Could've been a mix of both, but the other notebook I doodled of goldfish sold immediately, so who knows.

>> No.8025911

Just barely scraped in my application to Fanime (whew).

My question is, I sell almost entirely more expensive, sculpted/doll items (between $30 and $100). I've never had a problem selling them, but in your opinions, should I pad my table out with cheaper patterned notebooks and things, just to have cheaper things on the table?

>> No.8025953

>>8024053
Your English is better than some native speakers; I understood perfectly! Thank you very much for the reply. I'm curious as to how you printed things overseas; did your friend bring them to the US for you or were they shipped? Is this a company I can possibly use or was it just a personal favor?

Thanks for the shipping tips. In any case, it may just be easier to rethink my target market than go through hoops.

>>8024141
I'm sure I'll be making enough to at least cover costs and perhaps a profit, but I doubt it will be enough to garner any sort of attention. I'm viewing it as more of an experiment than a business operation. Thank you for the reply.

>>8024121

If this is the case and the info is incorrect, would you care to elaborate?

>> No.8025985

>>8022862
You must be my soul sister (or brother idk)

Shroomish is my favorite and I have a huge soft spot for Sandshrew/slash

>> No.8025988

>>8025328
I dunno about tips, but last year when I got in, I made sure I put in several prints per image and showed a wide range of fandoms/styles. Also threw in some original stuff, smaller items I sell, and commission samples. I have no idea what the criteria is going to be like this year. Good luck!

>> No.8026666

Does staples print on paper that you bring in? (Special paper, sticker paper)

>> No.8026673

>>8026666
I don't think they do normally but you could probably call your local store and ask. If someone's working the printer area that's experienced with it or a nice manager they might do something with you.

>> No.8026687

>>8026673
I feared that...

Next question! What printer do those of you who print at home use?

The printer my family has prints like shit despite being new.

>> No.8026703

>>8026687
Can we talk about printers? One of my table buddies was complaining to me that my printer sucks ass when it came to colors. I whole heartingly disagree but I didn't think it would hurt to think about saving for a new one. I'm open to suggestions.

I have a Canon PIXMA MG2120 and it's made for photo quality printing using inkjet. I love it and it is not terribly expensive but sometimes the ink does splatter if I'm printing a 8x11" with a full bleed. Other than that it does great with my stickers and mini prints. The ink is more than I'd like to pay but I guess that's to be expected with any printer.

>> No.8026707

>>8026666
You can go to a fed ex office and I think they'll let you print with your own paper. Like >>8026673
said you should call ahead

>> No.8026709

>>8026703
Ink is how they actually make money

>> No.8026717

>>8026709
Don't they have places that will refill the cartridge for cheaper?

>> No.8026740

>>8023661
Thank you! I will try to print some.

I have another question, does anyone has used before embossing powder on prints before? Just to give small details like gold etc...

>> No.8026873

>>8026717
Buy refilled ink on ebay WITH their chip included. The trick to getting a great printer isnt the price of the printer, its the cost of its refilled and official inks off ebay.

I cycle through official and refill inks to keep my print heads from clogging up.

>> No.8026880

>>8026873
Excellent. How often do you switch off? What model do you have?

>> No.8026914

>>8026880
canon ix6520

I use 2-4 refilled inks, then alternate one real ink in, then back to refilled inks.

A word of warning: do not get a Continuous Ink System for these printers, they will clog that shit up in less than a month and you'll have to hope its under warranty.

>> No.8027272
File: 498 KB, 2560x1920, Message_1419862929941(1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8023098
I'm playing Omega Ruby right now and my shroomish is a total bro.

I never see any gible merch even with garchomp's mega evolution. I'm did stickers of him. I could do some Shroomish.

>> No.8027656

>>8027272
First off I love your art every time I see it.

Secondly, do you print stuff yourself?
What kind of printer do you use?

Thanks either way~

>> No.8027726

>>8027272
*I did... bleh.

>>8027656
Thanks! I use a canon iX6820 which is the new version of what >>8026914 uses.

>> No.8027733

>>8027726
looks like one of those is my next investment after my cameo is paid off(just ordered)!

My staples said they'd work with me but I'd still rather have something at home.

Thank you so much!

>> No.8027977

>>8027726
Hey serious question. Will the new version allow borderless printing on legal size 8.5x14 paper?

>> No.8028054

>>8027977
Just checked and no. Can't make a personal setting for it either. I have borderless settings for other sizes except that. :|c

Only difference between our printers is mine has wireless connection (Which I can't even use on my mac)

>> No.8028062

>>8028054
Booooo! A friend of mine bought the newer one but wouldn't be able to test the actual print settings for me. I'll upgrade when mine dies, but I enjoy the cheap ink atm.

>> No.8028585

>>8021170
Dear artists,

Read my mind and automatically know the obscure shit I'm into instead of making things that will actually pay for food, rent, and more art supplies.

With love,
Asshole.

>> No.8028634

>>8028585
Dear Asshole,

Pay my rent and I'll draw you whatever you want all the time. Pay my bills and I'll draw porn of it.

Hugs and kisses
Working artist

>> No.8028648

>>8028634
That being said I do want to draw some mid 90s to early 2000s anime. I really want to draw some Gunsmith Cats, Dragon Half, Blue Seed, Excel Saga, Steel Angel Kurumi and Super Gals. Maybe just do a limited print run of forgotten animu.

>> No.8028649

>>7995988

Disney is well known for being aggressive about defending their IP. A few people at local craft fairs in small towns here in Hawaii have gotten C&D letters.

>> No.8028651

>>8028649
You mean someone went up to the artists at the crafts fair handing out C&D letters by Disney? Dang

>> No.8028660

>>8028651
There was an instance at Florida Anime Experience 2014 where a lawyer from Didney Wurl gave a C&D to a weapons vendor (well known here) who sold keyblades. Still sells them.

>> No.8028950

>>8028660
I feel like they won't do any real followup and enforcing and hope the scare works. I don't think they're do anything serious unless someone is making thousands off one of their properties or starts a FCK U DIDNEY hashtag over it.

>> No.8028961

>>8028950
Made me chuckle though, reminded me of the whole Gingeranne thing.

>> No.8029089

>>8027272
anon can I ask what kind of brush settings you use? I love your lines

>> No.8029095

How do you guys handle people who hover around your booth? I guess there's the people you don't know creeping, but then also people who know you who want to hang around and chat.

I mainly have issues with people I know (either fairly well or only slightly) who decide it's a great time to stand in front of my table with their bags and however many friends of theirs. I don't mind if it's a minute or two, but sometimes they've hovered and hung around for half an hour or so. I'm pretty blunt with how I act, ignoring them as soon as a customer comes up, and fairly bluntly suggesting they should go check out other parts of the show, etc, but it's still be a problem all year.

What should I do, anons? should I just drop all friendliness? I don't want to have to act rude when there are potential/actual customers about...

>> No.8029121

>>8029095
I have this problem sometimes too, mostly I've had friends come up and talk. Most of the time if they start talking and they go on for more than 5 minutes I'll invite them back there to sit on the floor while I handle whoever comes by.

I'm really awkward so when it comes to customers, I kind of just let the conversation die. People who are obviously there to try and be your buddy or try and get something out of you aren't going to try very hard (unless they're desperate) if you don't try very hard to communicate back. I try not to do it on purpose, or be every apparent about it.

>> No.8029141

>>8029095
Make a public announcement on whatever social media you use to communicate with them maybe? Chances are they'll see it and get the idea. Don't direct it at anyone, just as sort of a general post about making sure your friends understand its your business you have to run.

>> No.8029159

>>7995795
I got accepted into Artist Alley for a convention in February, it's my first time- I'm so nervous and excited. ;_; Tips, guys?

>> No.8029166

>>8029159

As a buyer, not a seller-

1. Put your fanart prints on display prominently. People get drawn in by posters of fandoms they like. You can have the coolest OCs ever, but if people don't know you, they won't give a shit.
2. Little things on the table are nice to peruse. Buttons, magnets, jewelry, a sketchbook of your smaller prints
3. Consider sketch commissions on-site. Bitches love commissions.
4. FOR FUCK'S SAKE MAKE SMALL TALK. NOTHING is more offputting than seeing cute art and wanting to talk prices only for the artist to ignore you and be a cunt. I've had 100 dollars worth of merch lined up to purchase, and when the artist ignored me, I put it down and left. You don't have to have a thirty minute conversation, but at least be polite.
5. Conversely, don't harass people. If someone's wearing a costume of something you're selling, it's not a code that they want to buy it. Don't be the pricks at the mall who fuck you over with nail buffers.

>> No.8029173

>>8029166
>You can have the coolest OCs ever, but if people don't know you, they won't give a shit.

This isn't true.

Also, your preferences aren't everyone's and yours seem to be mostly a minority.

>bitches about people being cunts
>is a cunt
kek

>> No.8029177
File: 3.01 MB, 3264x2448, DSCN1399.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8029159
>>8029166
Oh, I should mention that I don't sell art- I sell plushies and keychains and jewelry. :3 I can't draw for the life of me, but I love sewing.

>> No.8029182

>>8029173

I'm not saying there aren't people who don't love a good OC. I do, and it's a lot of the shit I go for. But most of the people you see buying want all the Dangit Ronpaul characters, or prints of Madoka, or things they recognize. It's not an insult to the artist, just that people are creatures of habit. Sailor Moon sells because people know it. It's sad but true.

>> No.8029190

>>8029177

I tend to visit booths with cute displays, and a tablecloth never hurts! If you've seen those tall wire towers where you can set things on the shelves in them, those are great for plush-sellers. Bring a few items in different colors- people like variety as far as color scheme goes.

>> No.8029191

>>8029190
Oh yeah! I bought some wire cubes yesterday, they're all different colors. And I got a cute pink table cloth.

>> No.8029201

I'm stupid awkward in AA and will tend to browse in passing. I'll only approach tables if I find something super intriguing and it's clearly priced from a distance.

>> No.8029221

>>8029166
>You don't have to have a thirty minute conversation, but at least be polite.

I fucked this part up so badly at my first convention.
>I'd been striking up conversations with customers but not gotten any sales (super tiny convention).
>This guy comes over and starts looking closely at stuff, and I asked him how his con was going,
>"Listen lady, I'm here to look, not to talk. You keep your mouth shut and I may buy something."
>Surprised and scared, I stop talking
>Guy piles stuff up, buys like, +$100 worth of things, never says a word, keeps staring at me like he wants to kill me
>Too scared to talk to customers the entire weekend

I'm lucky I made the cost of my table.

>> No.8029222

>>8029166
>>8029173
>>8029182

holy shit I was just about to ask about this. I want to make some small prints of my characters and maybe a small charm but I'm terrified they won't sell. It's a rabbit and it's a pretty cute design from what I've been told.

>> No.8029231

>>8029222

Post it? Generally cutesy shit sells well- I'm talking weird, plot-intricate stuff when I say OCs won't sell. Or boring OCs.

>> No.8029236

>>8029231
I think that's the main difference. Fan Art will sell from the level of shit and up. OC has to be REALLY good and well done to sell.

>> No.8029287
File: 143 KB, 587x738, october.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8029231
>>8029222

Not a final design. I have two other bunny characters similar to this one. I always sort of assume any OC stuff is hard to sell if it's not super generic.

>> No.8029518
File: 1.19 MB, 400x400, 1384072411130.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do the artists here decide what to draw for prints, buttons, etc? Do you folks draw and then decide it'd make a good poster? Or do you begin drawing with that in mind? I draw a lot, mostly traditional but I've been working on that. I've got mountains of sketches laying around, and I'd like to have some prepared pieces for a con in May.

I just got accepted to it. It's my first one. I've never been more excited and terrified as an artist.

>> No.8029745

>>8022631
Look into the sca small local events for starters.

>> No.8029764

>>8029287
I'm sure some people will buy it, but honestly this is pretty ugly. The lines have varying thickness that makes no sense (why are the small details drawn with thick lines??) and they're nearly impossible to see against her fur.

IMO: Make the face cuter (fluffy eyelashes, sparkles in the eyes, mouth with more of a cute 3 shape) and thin out the lines on the wand details (bow/star) and where her dress and apron come into contact with the frills. You could also make the lines on her fur white so we can actually see them.

>> No.8029822

>>8029764
I guess I should have expected this kind of response, I don't really draw in a very animu style. Thanks for the advice anon!

>> No.8029835
File: 203 KB, 300x500, Untitleded.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8029287
i would try to pay more attention to the proportions
maybe make the upper arms thinner and the upper torso thinner while keeping the hands and hips kind of chubby
i'd also give it a big floppy hat to balance out the poofy dress
the only other thing i'd worry about is the color palette being pretty dark. if you were to get this printed, the different shades of black and dark purple would likely blend together, making the character hard to read.
lightening the colors or throwing in some highlights and shading might help with this

consider the file attached to be a fanart
i'm a sucker for buns

>> No.8029867

>>8029835
I feel like I follow you on tumblr, this style is really familiar.

>> No.8029897

>>8029835
Feverworm is that you

>> No.8029902

>>8029822
None of that advice had anything to do with drawing in an "animu" style. It's just design/drawing basics.

>> No.8029906

>>8029822
It looks like you're trying to draw animu, but like >>8029902 said, it's more the art than the style.

>> No.8029930

I finally contacted Storenvy about my shop closing every day for no fucking reason. They gave me some bullshit excuse about how their "engineers are working on fixing it" and that I should try clearing my cache and updating my browsers. It's been 3 months since I've opened my shop, and it's never worked properly.

Fuck storenvy, I guess I'm moving to Etsy.

>> No.8030060

>>8029190

Seconding the display. If you have time, order a banner with your logo or AA name from somewhere like VistaPrint. It won't be the best, but it also helps. The more your booth stands out from the others, the better. It'll help them remember you too because a lot of customers browse the whole AA once or twice BEFORE buying anything. Make sure you have business cards, too, so if they want to follow you on social media for your art or even if they're not sure about getting something, have the cards out so they can take them and come by later.

People who are iffy may come by on Sunday hoping for a sale. It's up to you whether you want to slash prices, but usually I'll negotiation on an individual basis about whether I'll throw in something extra or whether I'll give them a deal. Normally it's just my prints that are buy 2 get 1 free, but the last con I did my Sunday sale was everything (including buttons and chibis charms) was the Buy 2 get 1 free deal.

>> No.8030086

>>8029518

If I want to sell it at my AA table, I draw with selling it in mind. Which means I automatically format to tabloid and compose around that. I pick a fandom and then think about what characters I'd like, and the style. My table exclusively features male characters with yaoi overtones, so part of what I do is thinking through good poses that are going to be a pleasing composition.

If you're planning to sell the piece, I think it should be designed with that in mind (to a point). That said, I printed up a lot of older drawing as mini prints because I liked them and thought they might have a good audience.

>> No.8030361

>>8029518
It varies. I've been wanting to do more "planned" pieces because they tend to come out a little more put-together/clearly have more effort put into them, but I figure like 60% of my prints are just doodles that I crop and fancy up a little.

Depends on your work ethic. I think the best way to do it is to just draw regularly and focus on making illustrations (or pinups or whatever else) for reasons other than just making prints instead of trying to pump out a bunch a couple weeks before the con.

>> No.8030527
File: 105 KB, 374x700, bunwitch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8029287
I would make the body about 2 1/2 heads tall. The legs are thrown off on proportions and they look amputee because of it. A good color tip is black is a cold color so if you use pull your blacks from a blue (cold) tone you can get away with using lighter greys. Frills look over detailed for a design this simple. I would simplify them. Some colored lines would bring in some details that are lost in the inking.

>> No.8030559

>>8030527
Do you have a tumblr? Your lines and colors are great.

>> No.8032199

>>8029177
From one plushy enthusiast to another. Please. Consider using a nicer fabric. Felt has its uses, but for things like this, honestly it just... it isn't appealing :( it looks rough and coarse and it's not even nice to feel, either - plushies are tactile objects, people like to touch and hold them! Plus, it honestly tends to LOOK just as cheap as it costs. I know nicer fabrics are also more expensive, but if you use them your items will in turn look better and more professional, and you can charge more!

Other than that, everyone and their mother's dog has done or is doing the chibi octopus thing. I know they are adorable. Maybe this means that all of those people somehow manage to have good sales of the same thing. But I can't be the only one tired of the repetition and lack of variety. Why not come up with a new and original design instead? It will surely be more attention-grabbing and fun!

I don't mean to discourage you, merely offer my two cents. I am always glad to see more plushy artists around. Your sewing skills are clearly just fine, and the little guys ARE genuinely cute. I just think you're easily capable of even better stuff, that's all!! :)

>> No.8032383

>>8032199
Thanks a lot for your advice! I have considered and am going to switch over to fleece eventually. I have a variety of things I will be offering at my booth this year.
However, I am sharing a table with a friend of mine so my variety cannot be too vast, seeing as the table space will not be all to myself.

Felt is easy for handsewing. I hand sew each and every one of my plushies and have only recently got a machine, which I'm not too comfortable with yet so I will finish up my stock by hand. :) In all honesty my plushies have sold just fine online, I get nothing but positive reviews and no one has ever questioned the quality of either my craft or the materials I use to make them. Thank you for your input!

>> No.8033208

Gloss or matte for prints?

Cardstock or letter paper for buttons?

What size prints do you prefer to sell OR buy? If there were two sizes of the exact same print, which one would you go for?

Thanks in advance~

>> No.8033217

>>8033208
>Gloss or matte for prints?
Depends on your preference. I like matte so you don't see fingerprints tbh.

>Cardstock or letter paper for buttons?
letter. I've tried thicker paper in the past and the acetate (the clear part that seals the button) sometimes can't seal properly and then you have an unsellable button.

>What size prints do you prefer to sell OR buy? If there were two sizes of the exact same print, which one would you go for?
I prefer 11x17 for both selling and buying. 11x17 gives me lots of space for details in my artwork. I know some artists (at least here in the Toronto area) are looking for larger print options though. 24x36 would be pretty sweet.

>> No.8033360

>>8033208
I prefer 11x17 for prints (though 4x6 is a nice mini-print size!)

and letter paper only for buttons! It doesn't need extra firmness since it's encased in mylar and metal anyway!

>> No.8033736

>>8024053
Anon I'm not sure if you're around still but I'd be very interested!

>> No.8033753

The Fanime Artist Alley info page said apps were due by the new year, but all over the app it said it was due today. If I submitted this morning, it should still be fine, right? They have a notice up saying the app is closed, when it didn't say it earlier...

>> No.8034218

>>8033753
You'd most likely get an answer if you send an ask to the Fanimecon Twitter. For some reason that is their major media platform.

>> No.8035127

Anyone have any advice in storing your merch? Keeping it organized? I'm thinking of branching into charms and buttons (been getting tons of advice reading everyones input)

I was thinking of getting one of those cork pin boards to display both charms and buttons, but decorate it? Would love to see peoples display photos if they want to share.

>> No.8035147

Requesting stand pictures. Mostly from new cons.

>> No.8035462

where do people get there prints done? at home or you use professional printer studios?
and where do people make real plastic charms/jewelry or metal charms?

>> No.8035560

>>8035462
I get my prints done at catprint and my charms done at Zap!

There's also inkitlabs which does charms as well.

>> No.8035811
File: 316 KB, 701x490, 2940053547_d8f8a42cd5_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How small is too small for prints?
Would you buy trading card sized prints or do you see them as "glorified business cards?"

>> No.8035815

>>8035811
i would personally love trading card sized prints because i'm running out of room on my walls for larger stuff.

maybe package them like trading cards and market them that way so they don't just look like business cards

>> No.8035826

>>8035811
I use trading cards as bookmarks.

>> No.8036332

>>8035811
Maybe go for more of a trading card sizing and put them in sleeves?

>> No.8036445

>>8035811
I love collecting art in trading card size! I also like commissioning sketch cards from artist as well.

You could do multiple series as packs if you're dedicated enough.

>> No.8036505
File: 277 KB, 850x576, 20150105_184208.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8035811
Good idea. Now I have a use for these mini sized ~manga~ papers.

>> No.8036736
File: 866 KB, 480x360, much joy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8036505
I remember seeing packs of these and being like "Comic Artist Trading cards? Pffffttt lol yeah whatever." then I saw they had those blue lines and was all like

>> No.8036742

>>8036736
Speaking of "Manga" branded art supplies does anyone actually get those? I saw a ton when getting my supplies for the semester. I know real mangaka use Micron sakura pens but no clue on stuff like prismacolor markers or sharpies.

>> No.8036838

>>8036736
A lot of stores stopped carrying these.

>>8036742
I use Deleter manga paper, dip pens, and ShinHan/Copic markers for large areas. Prismacolor and sharpies bleed waaay too much for my taste.

>> No.8036879

>>8036742
>prismacolor markers or sharpies
They don't really use either of those for coloring, besides copic there's a few other alcohol-base marker brands in Japan.

If you want some Japanese supplies just look at this website.
http://www.jetpens.com/

>>8036838
I don't have the comic layout type but I bought a bunch of the bristol and watercolor cards along with the mini envelopes, they were great for sticking inside secret santa cards.

>> No.8037351

So what's the difference between storenvy and etsy? I've done etsy for a long time bu not a huge fan of the commission fee they take. I'm guessing storenvy just charges for the listing?

>> No.8037365

>>8037351
Storenvy doesn't charge anything if you just use the basic setting (It's beginning to try and charge a small fee when you make sales off the website, but it hasn't switched over yet)

>> No.8037373

>>8037351
but yeah, I like it. It doesn't get as much foot traffic as I did at Etsy, but I'm glad I don't have to pay any fees that build up. The one thing I don't like is that there isn't a message center, so they can only contact you through emails on a separate account you set up.

>> No.8039881

What do you guys use to store your prints in? I'm currently using a large, expanding file folder, but it's beginning to wear out under the weight of all my prints.

>> No.8040167

Any suggestions or recommendations for printing companies for art prints? Looking for some that won't print white borders if it can be helped.

>> No.8040396
File: 86 KB, 544x571, STANLEY-MOBILE-WORKSTATION-FATMAX-skrzynka-na-kolkach-194210.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8039881
>What do you guys use to store your prints in?

I use a box that I got my prints shipped in with homemade cardboard separators between each print. But my boyfriend uses an art portfolio bag which seems to do the trick for his couple prints.

I really want to get something like this though (see pic). No more 2 trips back and forth for me
Just need to go back to the hardware store and measure out the bottom compartment and see if it would be big enough.

>Any suggestions or recommendations for printing companies for art prints? Looking for some that won't print white borders if it can be helped.

Here are three that I've heard mentioned before through here or the AA FB group or have used myself.
overnightprints
catprint
fireballprinting

I've used Catprint before and love them to bits! Ask for a paper sample to be mailed to you, it really helps to choose what's best for your prints.

>> No.8040599
File: 721 KB, 687x794, Halp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How much should i charge for keychains like this?
I was thinking either $3 or maybe $5?

>> No.8040625

Any polymer clay artists?
How well do you guys do at AA?

Do you just do charms? Or do you venture into sculptures as well? Do those sell at all?

>> No.8040820

>>8040599
$0

>> No.8040949

>>8040820
Is it really that bad? ;_;

>> No.8040960

>>8040949
Anon what is it made out of? The photo makes it look like a sticker stuck onto a piece of badly contoured plastic.

>> No.8041126

>>8040599
Because of the look of the charm, it looks like shrinky dink plastic you can print on? Design is super cute because snow miku 2014 is a babe, but the quality of the charm itself is pretty low with just this photo. The hole is very tiny, and goes through the design, with a jump ring that looks too tiny for the charm itself. The cuts in the plastic are very rushed looking and sort of blocky against the smooth curves of the layout. Not only that, the charm looks like it has a scratch on it already? Did you coat it with anything to make sure it would be waterproof or scratch proof? I would buy this if it was a sticker tbh.

>> No.8041270

>>8040599
Am I wrong that the charms usually goes on the jump ring by the lobster clasp? Or on it's own jump ring that can be grabbed by hte clasp to make tying easier?

>> No.8041274

>>8041270
You're exactly right. At first I thought they did it the other way because the charm is too big to be looped, but since it has the lobster clasp that shouldn't matter. It just looks stupid with the strap backwards.

>> No.8041379
File: 695 KB, 894x491, Halp2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8040960
>>8041126
It's just photo paper covered with resin, I also put patterned paper on the back but i think I'm just gonna remove it.
>>8041270
>>8041274
Not really sure how that makes it easier to clasp, but i tried it both ways in the pic.

>> No.8041487

>>8041379
That hole placement is uncomfortably high. One good tug and your charm is gone.

>> No.8041572

>>8041379
Paper covered with resin is not going to last or look nice for very long.... It's prone to scratching or yellowing, especially when it's so thin.

Your art is really cute but I'd find a different way to make charms.

>> No.8041591

>>8041379
no you're doing it wrong. you put the string through whereveer you're putting it then pull the charm through the string loop.
this is hard to explain, but google phone charms and see how they're placed

>> No.8041620

>>8041379
The clasp is supposed to be attached to the jump ring, not the string.

>> No.8041632

>>8041379
You need to connect a jump ring to the charm then connect the lariat to the jump ring. If you Google cell phone charms, 95% of them are attached like that.

>> No.8041664
File: 33 KB, 600x553, 448.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8040396
I just bought a big accordion folder for prints but I have never seen anything more beautiful my entire life

>> No.8041704
File: 53 KB, 600x804, B6zhIBnCUAEvWsq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry for the shitty camera quality. I've been making little teruterubozus to sell at cons for $3 dollars each or 2 for $5 in different colors and patterns. I switched to use lobster clasp charms that are longer and I put a little dot of super glue on the bow in the center to keep it from untying along. I'm thinking of making little jellyfish princess inspired ones instead to sell for $5 each. Do you all think I should make them bigger or keep them small for this (about 3-4 inches tall)?

>> No.8041741

>>8041704
Eeeeh, this looks very kids craft-ish. Maybe in traditional Japanese fabric

>> No.8041749

>>8041704
Maybe do ones in pattern fabrics and hand stitch the face and/or button eyes and they'll be really cute.

>> No.8041783

>>8041487
I'll add more resin to them so they wont break off too easily, but yeah I'll definitely be more aware of the hole placement when i make the rest of my charms.
>>8041572
I'll try out shrinky dink plastic next time or maybe order some acrylic charms if i have enough money, but i used to just print them out on regular paper and laminate em.
>>8041591
>>8041632
>>8041620
I just looked it up, sorry I'm so retarded anons. I made my charms too big to fit through the loop.

>> No.8041802

>>8041749
I was planning on trying to get some chirimen fabric soon to try it out like that as well as make other small crafts. It would be nice if I could find sets of it in fat-quarter sizes. I've found that when I use darker patterned fabric the faces tend to blend in which is a shame.
>>8041741
I'll try the button eyes for the next ones as well as the embroidered mouth. Do you think that just the simple u-shaped smile is good or should I try other expressions as well similar to emoticons such as :D or :c or :3 ?

>> No.8041825
File: 47 KB, 328x308, boner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8035811
Well, if I saw my trading card print of my waifu, of course I'd fucking buy it. I need to get me a waifu card, how else will I be able to show my love and appreciation of mai waifu to others?

>> No.8041833

>>8041783
I've done that before. That's why lobster claws are pretty nice. Even if your charm is too big, you just unclasp it, loop the strap around whatever you're attaching it to, then put the clasp back onto the charm

>> No.8041887

>>8010158
shit, anon, really late reply, but are you really digitoonie? your art is so cute (esp. the newt and herman stuff)! tried looking through your twitter for a bit but i didn't see any convention schedule. do you plan on hitting up any eastern shore cons like katsu or ota?

>> No.8041972

How many prints should one have prepared for their first convention?

>> No.8042390

>>8041972
>How many prints should one have prepared for their first convention?

For me personally, I base it on:

-con attendance (smaller con, less stock)
-what type of con (comic con? I bring a little less stock of anime stuff)
-how much am I willing to carry?
-how much table space do I get? Am I splitting? (less table space=fewer prints I can display. No point in bringing prints no one will see)
-how much am I willing to spend on prints for this con? (do I want to buy $20 worth of prints, or $50?)
-are my prints something that's popular? (Don't print 50 copies of your OC and only 5 of a popular fanart piece. Unless your artwork is well known of course)

>> No.8042393

>>8041972
I think it depends on the size of the convention, how much of an online following you have, what company you're ordering through, and what your budget is.

I think no more than 5 prints for your first convention is fine because you then have 1 for a display and 4 to sell. If your art is generally well received and you have more than one convention you're guaranteed to be selling at in the year then maybe invest in a maximum of 10 prints per design, especially if you decide to order through an online company. Don't order too much because you'll never know what people will like and it's better to sell out of something than have an overstock of it.

>> No.8042499

>>8042393
>>8042390

Thanks for the feedback. I probably wasn't too clear, though. I meant more along the lines of the number of different designs rather than the amount of each one. My bad.

>> No.8042543

>>8041887
I wanna go to Otakon. Fingers crossed I get in. I mostly hit the Fl/GA cons though. I am planning to hit up Animazement and Fanime though.

>>8041972
How many have you prepared? Depending on the con, 10-15 prints should be fine. You can get away with less than that if you're selling a lot of different merch.

>> No.8042579

>>8042499
As far as designs go, enough to fit your table space would be nice but not always necessary. Will you be selling any other products anon? Do you have any prints already ready for printing? What kind of display will you have?

>> No.8043295

I'm a newbie to the AA scene and I'm struggling to come up with a name (pen-name? stage-name? idk).
How did you guys come up with yours? Should I go with something as unique as possible or something easy to remember? Is it too weebish to have japanese words like hime or senpai in my name? What kind of name will I regret in 6 months' time?

>> No.8043520

>>8043295
>How did you guys come up with yours?
Mine is just my nickname, and my facebook page is "Designs by Corky-Lunn" because I couldn't think of anything else.

>Should I go with something as unique as possible or something easy to remember?
Personally, I'd want a bit of both? Something that's easy to remember/spell, but doesn't involve words like kawaii and ichigo. I've been seeing that a lot with artist names in my area, it's hard to remember people. I'm a sucker for artists with pun names, like "left in stitches" for sewing crafters.
Go with something that means a lot to you, and maybe reflects what you make or your style. Just an idea.

>Is it too weebish to have japanese words like hime or senpai in my name?
I think if you make lolita accessories or have a really cute/pasel style, I think using hime would work well. Senpai is kind of odd to me since the word means 'an upperclassmen/mentor/senior' and I'm not sure how that could fit a style or what you sell.

>What kind of name will I regret in 6 months' time?
Anything that's from flavour of the month of fandoms or memes. Think along the lines of what your username for fanfiction.nert or Neopets was when you were 14 and how you cringe, try not to make that mistake, haha.

Most of this is just my opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt if you disagree with a couple things

>> No.8043641

New thread >>8043635

>> No.8044963 [DELETED] 
File: 30 KB, 696x713, mik.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Would you guys buy my hard work