[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 761 KB, 960x640, bulwild2096[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7923689 No.7923689 [Reply] [Original]

Does /cgl/ actually like the cosplay community? Why do YOU cosplay? What motivates YOU to go to conventions? What's your reasoning for spending all of your money on cosplay and travel and cons?

I'm genuinely interested, as I'm beginning to wonder the same thing myself, outside of it being fun.

>> No.7923698

I go to cons to take photos of people and whore my cosplays to the masses

>> No.7923700

>>7923698
What exactly is fun and costworthy about that?

>> No.7923704

>>7923689
I both love and hate the cosplay community. I love meeting cool people at cons and discussing cosplay, working on it with friends etc. But I hate the SJW bullshit and hugboxing.

>> No.7923705

>>7923700
I find enjoyment from people liking my costumes

>> No.7923713

>>7923704
I've never had the fortune of meeting cool people at cons. I just do a lot of couple cosplays with my girlfriend and doing shoots. I'm beginning to wonder why we do it though.
>>7923705
Understandable.

>> No.7928833

New as well and trying to work up the guts (and the body) to crossplay as Riven. I want to feel pretty ;_:

>> No.7928893

Honestly, I'm liking it less and less. I've met lots of cool people through cosplay in the past, and even at cons today I enjoy interacting with others, but it seems like everyone and their mother is constantly trying to plug themselves and their "work", spamming their FB pages to anyone who will give it a glance, etc. I don't care if that's what people enjoy out of cosplay, I genuinely don't, but I really hate trying to get to know someone and all they can do is name drop, brag about their upcoming "projects", and only ever show up if there's something to gain from it.

So less and less am I enjoying the community over all, but I still love cosplaying, and I'll continue going to cons until it becomes totally clear that it's a complete waste of my time.

>> No.7928928

I try my best to cosplay to make lasting friendships. It hasn't worked yet, but... someday!

>> No.7928943

>>7923689
I want to make friends with fellow Touhou fans.

That's bout' it.

>> No.7928984

>>7928928
Strike up conversations with random people: either people who recognize your costume, or people who are in costumes that you recognize.

Especially if it's a series which is not super duper popular, the people will likely be more than willing to discuss the series with you. Just be sure to not force yourself on them, if they seem like they're busy or w/e then just let them be

>> No.7929919

I liked it at first. But about two years ago I began asking myself why I was spending so much time on this hobby.
The cosplay community changed in that time, too. It's literally full of whores now. I used to really look up to the top cosplayers because of their craftsmanship or even just good looks and photos. Now they are all like titmonster #1, gofundmewhore #2, etc

>> No.7929943

I like the process of dressing up a lot, and meeting fellow fans. And I like being told I'm cute. Being in costume makes me feel kind of free, so I get to show parts of my personality I don't normally express.

>> No.7929956
File: 29 KB, 354x500, 1345608541331.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm getting tired of cons. Every time it's the same shit, lame panels, overpriced dealers room shit I could buy on the internet, and a bunch of money spent. The only reason I feel like going anymore is because my only friends are at cons. I'm even getting tired of making my own costumes... I love making things, but I always end up doing literally nothing but working on my cosplay for like two weeks before the con and stressing endlessly. It feels awful. And then that's 200+ dollars and countless time spent on materials, shoes, wigs for a costume that won't be worn more than a couple times. I dunno.

>> No.7929999

>>7929956
Same here. All the stress doesn't really seem worth it.

>> No.7931796

I'm an attention whore.
/thread

>> No.7931850

>>7923713
My boyfriend and I are in the same boat. We've been cosplaying for about 3 years but haven't made many lasting friendships within the community and we've just been going to cons with friends we've made through school/work (who don't cosplay).

Having to pay for more and more things on our own, we're starting to question if cosplay is really worth it. I mean, we spend hundreds to make costumes and go to cons just to have shoots, make some acquaintances and drink with the same people we see every day.

>> No.7931876
File: 6 KB, 285x263, 10620616_321221434669885_7669155634524728502_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7929956
>mfw doesn't have any friends that are interested in cons or cosplaying.

I don't know why I do it. I don't want attention, I'm always a nervous wreck when I get pictures taken, and it's always stressful to get everything for my cosplay because I'm a perfectionist.

>> No.7931988

I think once most socializing became facebook and youtube orientated, everything went to shit. It was so much better when socializing online was on cosplay.com and deviantart. I hate what it is now, hence why I left it completely.

>> No.7932031

I was just thinking about how long I've been into this hobby right before I saw this thread. My very first con was exactly 10 years and 6 days ago.
I was definitely more into it then. As much as I'm embarrassed for my past self, I do kind of wish that I was still as obnoxious and self-unaware as I was then, cause I would probably have more fun that way.
I honestly don't like going to cons. The only real friends I have are all con-people though and none of us live close to each other.
Most of the time, I could go a whole weekend without using my con badge even once. I never attend a single event at the con, including the parties that I avoid like the plague.
I love cosplaying which is evident in the fact that I have about 20 unworn cosplays ready and only have plans to go to a maximum of 2 cons next year. That, and my friends, are my only reasons left to attend anything nerd related.
And the only reason I still enjoy cosplaying is because I buy all of my costumes or modify pieces of clothing to make them. I like sewing, but I hate patterning and cutting things out, and it's caused me more stress, tears and (literally) blood than any other hobby I've ever had. I quit cons and cosplaying for a little while until I discovered Taobao and learned that ok-quality costumes can now be bought for little to no money. Then I was right back into it with a renewed passion.
Nevertheless, I do have fun when I'm attending a convention, because of the good company I'm in. I hardly ever drink except for cons and the ones that I attend are usually 16 and 18+. All of those things help me enjoy it.

>> No.7932032

When I was in high school, I wanted to be part of the 'kool kosplay krowd'. I did at least two costumes per con, I tried to fit in with the cool /cgl/ people, everything.

I got a bit disillusioned with the whole scene after getting a bit older and running into a /cgl/ tripfag on the street once. We said hi, exchanged pleasantries, I said something along the lines of 'see you around!' and walked off A few seconds later I heard them say "who the fuck was that? fucking weaboos." to their friend, and that kind of reminded me that the kool kosplay krowd wasn't really for me. Not that my cosplay was any good, anyways.

I go to cons now because most of my friends do, and some of the panels are interesting. I did masquerade for a long time and I still give advice to the old group I was part of. Doing panels is fun too.

Plus there's the whole "It's been god knows how many years, why would I stop now?' kind of thing. I don't spend as much time on cosplay anymore, but I still have fun doing little things here and there just for shits and giggles. It's still fun.

Still, I always wished I'd gotten better at sewing. At least I can live vicariously through all of you.

>> No.7936495

I started cosplaying out if curiosity. Needless to say I only did it like 3-4 times and that's it. It seems a lot here have nice luck meeting people that aren't total psychos or stalkers. From the overall amount of people I met through cosplaying only like 3-4 are legit "normal" in the sense that they don't go randomly to you and breath heavily while talking or stalking you on social networks when you didn't even give them any info to being with like that. Cosplay community overall has been degenerating. Now everyone and their mothers want to cosplay all of a sudden when dressing up back then when it wasn't Halloween was considered as abnormal and just plain stupid and you'd get laughed at for that as an outcast lol.

I still do attend cons to visit some of my friends who are artists and to check up on the celebrity guests...but that's it. :\

>> No.7940578

>>7923689
I've been cosplaying since 2009 (14), Helped my mother make my very first costume in 2010 And now I make my costumes and props by myself with little help from my mother (All depends on the situation)

I got into cosplay because I was really shy at school which lead to me being bullied a lot. I originally used it as an escape, pretending to be a hero of mine for a day. It actually helped with my confidence and I've made a lot of friends now I ended up making a page a few years back when I became a bit better with making costumes.

I do it now due to loving the art of it, I love making costumes. If I could get a job making them professionally that'd be cool, but unlikely. So it's nice to have it has a hobby. It is costly, but I've never really had much of a problem with it, limiting to a few costumes a year.

I do however dislike the community a bit, the "famous" cosplayers who act like complete dicks in person or the teenages causing dramas for no particular reason. All groups have that, I've just learnt to try and stay away from the drama. Minus the few times it involved me..

>> No.7940812

besides of course being an attention whore, because I'm proud of my costumes and want to show off,

I enjoy the atmosphere and it's a chance to weeb out with the local community if it's a local con, a chance to make new friends and network with farther away cons or just to see old friends again and do awesome group cosplay. I have a large con family, so there's always someone to hang with for me.

I sometimes buy a badge and sometimes don't depending on the con.

I also like photographing cosplayers, so I like to do minishoots for people.

Cosplaying for 7 years. I usually hit at least 2 big cons, 4-5 medium sized ones, and maybe 3-4 small one day shindigs. East Coast,

>> No.7943739

>>7923689
I honestly didnt have a hobby let alone do cons up until 4 years ago. We had a first year con local and at the time i had been making a really simple costume for, what i thought, was just going to be halloween. I ended up wearing it to the con and got a bunch of pics and took first place in the cosplay contest. It really gave me a sense of pride knowing that i had completed something and that my work was noticed. I never really had that before since i had jack shit for hobbies. It really gave me direction when i really didnt have much. I've met quite a few of my friends at cons and i really enjoy being a photo whore. I won't lie. I used to be quite shy and reserved and cosplaying has really helped me get over social anxities and create new friends.

>> No.7944473

I go to cons because I'm a self-loathing, possibly spergitis-ridden attention whore who desperately vies for the admiration of people who I'll never have an actual conversation with or even see again.

Which of you seagulls can say, honestly, that you're any different?

>> No.7944490

Honestly? I just do really casual cosplays that are easy to make so that I don't come off as some normalfag trying to pick up chicks or something.

I spend most of my time in the gaming room anyways.

>> No.7944508
File: 291 KB, 561x1105, 2966ed07803bcdac18e683690e5b798b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7944490
>spend most of my time in the gaming room

>> No.7944513

its fun

>> No.7944546

I usually dress very plainly, no make-up and generally don't try very hard.
I'm skinny, (5"6 108 lb) and I can make myself very pretty with make-up
I wear slutty cosplays and unlike most people I can just admit its for the attention.
Cons are basically my "attention outlet", I think every girl has one to some extent

Its also a good place to meet people whom I can "be myself" around, since I'm a giant weeb at heart but I tone it down around others

>>7923704
>But I hate the SJW bullshit and hugboxing.

Amen. Fuck hugboxing, when did it become wrong to let people know they do something badly so that they can either stop or improve, and not shit around thinking they are paragons

>> No.7944603

>>7931876
Some series have a bunch of regular cosplayers. If you go to multiple cons in the same area sometimes you start seeing some cosplayers over and over again. Talk to the people in the meetup/photoshoots. Sometimes you make friends. I made a group of cosplay friends this way and we've just been absorbing people into our social circle. Honestly the only friends I cosplay with now are the ones I've made at cons. You get some really awkward people but then you learn and move on. I've actually got a separate cosplay facebook account so I can add the random hopefully not creepy friends I've made at cons and threw the group I'm in.

I remember one Otakon a few years ago I was cosplaying Tales of with a few friends and a whole bunch of us in small groups kept running into each other, talking, and becoming these Tales of growths in random areas of the con.