[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 19 KB, 568x109, Anime USA 2014 October 3–5 2014.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7854028 No.7854028 [Reply] [Original]

There was no thread about it, so I made one. So here's a live a thread for those attending.

>> No.7855372

yes

>> No.7855992

I live right up the street so I'll be heading over around 4:00 today. So excited.

>> No.7856031

Heading over after work today!~

>> No.7856232

Kinda sucks the con doesn't start until like 12 or 1

>> No.7856342

>>7856232
The Con Has Started about one hour ago.

>> No.7856412

Headed there tomorrow~ It seems to be a small-ish con, but what's the usual attendance number? Wikipedia doesn't have their attendance since like 2009

>> No.7856695

Why is the dealer room a third empty? Are vendors not coming until tomorrow? I hope so.

>> No.7858032

Went today for a few hours. There was a big group of aspies in shitty cosplay, did anyone else run into them? Good god...

>> No.7858173

>>7858032
Your going to have be more specific because almost everyone at cons is a fucking aspie

>> No.7858545

I don't know why I ever expect the masquerade to be anything but absolutely terrible. I don't think I've ever been to one with so many terrible singing skits. Also imagine that, scarlet mafia did another dance skit with people who had no idea what they were doing, but this time with surprise ass cheeks.
BUT the PWF skit and the rap battle were pretty funny and the "do you wanna kill the batman" one was surprisingly good. Didn't stick around to find out who won. Despite how shitty it was, it's not like it mattered considering the guy at the exit gave zero fucks and let us in twenty minutes before actual seating, so we accidentally skipped the entire masquerade line.
Anyway despite bringing three costumes I've only been wearing Ragyo today and maybe a bit tomorrow. I like AUSA because I feel like I can relax more than Katsucon or Otakon or other cons where I rush to finish and debut new costumes.
Went to a panel for the first time in a while and was bored to tears and reminded why I don't go to panels

Tl;dr: masq sucked and AUSA is always pretty chill, but never actually impressive.

>> No.7858852

Wow, such a small thread do really so few people come to AUSA nowadays, or has /cgl/ abandoned it for whatever reason or has /cgl/ just stopped doing general con threads in general and I missed it during my break from 4chan?

Anyway I've had a generally enjoyable experience. The only "flaws" have been due to other attendees and not the con itself, which is actually pretty amazing given the poor experiences I've had at cons for the past year and a half or so with the con staff/volunteers fucking up.

>>7858545
The key for me is to try to find out who's presenting each panel. If it's a group or presenter that commonly does panels, it's worth seeing. If it's someone more amateur, it's more a miss than a hit. Of course that might just be because I have an interest in and tend to go to more educational panels and the return educational panel presenters tend to HAVE to be good or else no one will want to stay as its just a college lecture of sorts at that point.

>>7858032
I know it's not just aspies that do this and not all or most aspies do it but... It's even worse when they yelp out during panels.There's cheering/clapping/etc., and then there's yelling something specific at the panelist when they didn't ask for it. Or when they're at a Q&A panel and ask something they have no clue if the panelist would know about.

Storytime, skip if not interested: I actually kind of like Lauren Landa's work so I went to her panel, and this one guy kept asking complete non sequiturs. "HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT MISTY FROM POKEMON?"; "WHICH WAS YOUR FAVORITE ERA OF GODZILLA?"; then there was also a third question I think I may have blotted out of my mind on purpose. So much secondhand embarrassment.

Like shit, asking such specific questions at a panel without knowing the person is involved in a series or likes that sort of thing is just a waste of everyone's time.

>>7856412
Kinda hovering at around 3900 or so right now, I wanna say? I remember last year's being around that much at least.

>> No.7859680

>>7858852
I think the issue was the fact that it was a panel I had absolutely no interest in: "the history of nintendo". But my betrothed wanted to go so I obliged. But with the panelist going "not a lot if people know this, but..." every five seconds, as well as a few nerds thinking it was the "show off random facts by interrupting the host every two seconds" panel, I think it would have been terrible even if I was particularly interested in the subject.

Still curious who won the masq though

>> No.7859767

Each year this con has less and less people. And I know this is a small con but it just felt very empty especially at night.

>> No.7859778

>>7859767
Well AUSA is a small con sitting in between several major cons date wise. A lot of people are probably broke from attending Otakon, Dragoncon and AWA or saving up for Katsucon.

>> No.7859940

it's really a shame there weren't like 3x as many people there. the hotel is awesome, they had DJ's playing music throughout the day, there was a concert by Schwarz Stein, who've played to sold-out arenas in Japan, the panels were well-considered, and even the convention booklet looked professionally done. Overall, it seems like the people who put the convention together were planning for it to be hueg. Attendance may have been a little better than last years', but it's still a small/mid-sized-at-peak convention for now. Some of the costuming was incredible, though....

>> No.7859957

>>7859680
That fucking Pit in the front row of the Nintendo 101 panel....

>>7859940
I like Anime USA so much better than Katsucon , because the panels are so much better. There are no "Ask a _____" to be found, and lots of history and culture experts giving some great talks.

>> No.7860322

Anyone take any photos of cosplays? I wasn't able to go this year and just wondered what the big "cosplays" this year were.

>> No.7860346

>>7858852
These days /cgl/ is concentrated on lolita threads, so unless it's con season (Summer) or a major anime convention, you don't see threads about cons.

>>7859767
The con had a lot of growth until the move to the Washington DC combined with the change of usual convention dates changed from the usual November to September/October dates.

What's worse: that the usual meetups/photoshoots that usually the users of coscom create have mostly disappeared. The last regular occurrence of meetups for anime cosplayers was in 2013.

>>7860322
Lots of photos were taken, including video, one of them was the longest debate ever held by Anime Parliament: Debating whether Titans from the Attack on Titan series be considered a endangered species.

>> No.7860406
File: 254 KB, 1440x1080, IMG_5834 (Large).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7860346
Here's a sampler.

>> No.7860412
File: 244 KB, 1440x1080, IMG_5835 (Large).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7860406
2/5

Why the hell my pictures reverting sideways?

Also, I can't upload cosplay images on 4chan as fast as I was able to in the past anymore thanks to spammers. The days of manually uploading 5-10 images per minute on /cgl/ in 2010 are long gone now...

>> No.7860433
File: 181 KB, 1440x1080, IMG_5837 (Large).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7860412
3/5

>> No.7860438
File: 172 KB, 1440x1080, IMG_5850 (Large).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7860433

>> No.7860456
File: 171 KB, 1440x1080, IMG_5860 (Large).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7860438
5/5

>> No.7860549

>>7860456
Holy shit it's black Yaya

>> No.7860648

>>7860406
>>7860412
>>7860433
>>7860438
>>7860456
flip your images you make my bain hurt

>> No.7860729

>>7860549
omg youre right

>> No.7861267

Now here's the second longest debate in this history of Anime Parliament on AUSA 2014. Should Titans be Designated As Endangered Species?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaHAR59nYh4

>> No.7861406

>>7860549
holy shit

>> No.7862618

I have some pics. Should I upload them? I'd just do it but they're all blurry because I got shaky hands.

>> No.7862936

Did anyone go to the panels? I swear they all sucked. Only went to two the whole fucking weekend.
Panels were all educational crap (fuck that, I didn't come to be learned.) or "let me just talk about my theories" or even "this could really have been summed up in a sentence."

Also, it was more like "getdrunkoffyourasscon" because the amount of people I've seen being carried by their friends at 2 am, barely sitting up right, or vomiting in the bathroom was ridiculous. I drink at cons too but holy shit.

Also, did anyone go to the burlesque?

>> No.7862950

>>7862936
What panels did you go to?

The burlesque isn't nearly as good as it used to be. It used to be a lot of professionals and semi-professionals, now it's just a lot of awkward people who don't know how to move gracefully. Plus the new emcee really sucked.

>> No.7864256

>>7862950
My group almost went to the burlesque, glad we didn't.
Also just found out that the batman and the rap battle skits won the main prizes and that everyone essentially won at least one prize. Even the sing along and scarlet mafia won two smaller prizes, somehow

>> No.7864327 [DELETED] 

Ohh Waaaah I did a dance skit again and won 3 awards, including best over all craftsmanship. Jojo's a fun to cosplay so we did it.

the batman skit was stolen from another person and Raffi is kinda in some shit for it now. Rap battle had the Dip carry the shit outta it and the Sylvieon on the Pokemon skit sold the hell out of those moves.

Jojo gathering kicked ass, Marsh got arrested and blamed everyone but himself. I sprained my ankle and there was jojo jenga.

Ausa masq is dull and boring and dancing how we enjoy it. meh, We couldn't do what we wanted to bc one of our group members had an asthma attack saturday afternoon and we had to bullshit into something else real fast. either way, she's okay and we didn't enjoyed it.

Stood in front of a guy vomiting into his program bag on Friday night....That was a thing

Some of the panels worn't terrible and from what i heard KO cosplay was bailing on her obligations the whole weekend in order to do photo shoots.

>> No.7864332

Ohh Waaaah I did a dance skit again and won 3 awards, including best over all craftsmanship. Jojo's a fun to cosplay so we did it.

the batman skit was stolen from another person and Raffi is kinda in some shit for it now. Rap battle had the Dio carry the shit outta it and the Sylvieon on the Pokemon skit sold the hell out of those moves.

Jojo gathering kicked ass, Marsh got arrested and blamed everyone but himself. I sprained my ankle and there was jojo jenga.

Ausa masq is dull and boring and dancing how we enjoy it. meh, We couldn't do what we wanted to bc one of our group members had an asthma attack saturday afternoon and we had to bullshit into something else real fast. either way, she's okay and we enjoyed it.

Stood in front of a guy vomiting into his program bag on Friday night....That was a thing

Some of the panels worn't terrible and from what i heard KO cosplay was bailing on her obligations the whole weekend in order to do photo shoots.

>> No.7864624

>>7864256
>everyone essentially won at least one prize.

We actually had fairly heavy prize support this year, so the coordinator must have just spread it out instead of front-loaded all the goodies. I know we had a buttload of DVDs to give out, though I've no idea which department got them in the end. (badump tish)

>> No.7866151

JOJO JENGA! I WON WITH MY FOOT!

>> No.7866325

>All these seagulls at the Jojo meet

We are not good at detecting each other I guess.

>> No.7866969

>>7866325
I hear so much fun stuff happened there. I wish I came earlier. I got too caught up being a game room rat that by the time I got there everyone was starting to leave.

>> No.7867234
File: 54 KB, 524x677, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7864332
Oh wow lol was the craftsmanship award ironic? Because the girl stage left (the one who had no idea what she was doing and kept looking at everyone the whole time, you know, a common feature of any scarlet mafia skit) literally had her entire ass fall out at one point.
And I'm sorry, not familiar with jojo, but was gay Harry Potter supposed to look like he belonged in that one episode of Its Always Sunny?

>> No.7867290

>>7864332
>Jojo gathering kicked ass, Marsh got arrested and blamed everyone but himself.

What the shit is Marsh doing in a Jojo gathering? I thought he was Mr. military cosplay. Details please

>> No.7867550

>>7867234
yea, poor thing who got sick and was dizzy but never told me till we left stage didn't have her dress glued down I guess....Don't like it? you do better or get over it.
Cry more, Basic.
>>7867290
That did not happen at the gathering. that happened somewhere around 2am, I don't have all the details from what I was told there where a large number of complaints about him, his picture was circulated around con security and he cussed out hotel staff I think. Don't qoute me on that last part. noone telling me all the details but he is banned and this isn't the first or second con this has happened.

>> No.7867632
File: 85 KB, 768x1024, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7867550
I think the real definition of basic is bragging over participation awards that everyone got.
I look forward to whatever terrible WCS skit you shit out at katsucon. Hopefully it'll be as hilariously terrible as the last two years have been

>> No.7869785

>>7859778
>>7860346
Also it ran the same weekend as Rufflecon, so some of the lolita who would have attended were probably out in CT.

>> No.7869798

>>7866151
>>7866325
Was also a Jojo at the gathering and jenga party. Shit was mad cash and I miss everyone dearly.

>> No.7869837

>>7864332
what were her obligations aside from walking around?