[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 129 KB, 612x612, MonsterHigh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7644773 No.7644773[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Just wondering how people feel about Fashion Doll Cosplay, especially since shows like Monster High and Happily ever after High have crept out from under the floor boards,

>> No.7644803
File: 816 KB, 982x1500, maddeline hatter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7644773
*Ever After High

>> No.7647628

>>7644773
Pretty sure there was a cosplay thread floating around somewhere, but personally I love it.
Their designs can be a little tacky sometimes, but still very cute, and always can translate pretty well into real life (considering a mini version of the outfit has already been made)
Plus nothing is more fulfilling than making a little girl's day when she's sees her favourite character in real life.
And ngl, shows/series like this are my guilty pleasure.

>> No.7649818
File: 172 KB, 400x600, 29238023-Barbie_back-30.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone ever cosplay as Barbie?
Inb4 that Russian chick with the creepy shoop.

I've seen a few of the Toy Story one, but I always thought it would be cute to cosplay as the original Barbie in the black and white swimsuit or another of her iconic outfits.

>> No.7649857

>>7644773
>>7644803
These are both adorable!

NGL, I've been tempted to make a Rochelle costume.I love her Scaris outfit.

>> No.7649866

I love love love the designs of Ever After High, I hope one day to do one of their outfits. The just seem like super fun cosplays to do, just complete OTT dresses and wigs.

>> No.7649897

I just wish that the outfits were true to the source. Like in OP's pic, Draculaura's skirt obviously has quite a bit of poof to it and in real life it just looks flat and depressing. Girl needs a petticoat. Whats more, Draculaura's lace neck thing is small and it sits the way it does to give her silhouette a more rounded shoulder look to it, its not a full on caplet like the cosplayer used.

Plus the belt is wrong. Like holy shit, how hard is it to get a belt with a bow on it??

I know I'm going to be accused of nitpicking but I just really would prefer accuracy for outfits as cute as these, I kind of want to put together an entire wardrobe of this shit. Monster High 4 lyfe.

>> No.7653407

>>7649818
I'd really love to see Life in the Dreamhouse cosplays.

>> No.7654371

I find both series equally insulting, misleading, and harmful. I thought their message of individuality empowerment was cute in the beginning until every fucking lead female characters stared looking like anorexic high fashion models with pounds of makeup, huge hair, and painful platform wedges on ALWAYS. It completely contradics their anti-hate messages which end up sounding ridiculous because they couldn't give a shit about actually being good role models for children. Just the latest trends and bs Bratz have been repeating for decades. So yes in the fashion sense it's cool, but their attempt at teaching kids any good moral lessons, it's an utter mess and pathetic. Their lack of care really made me rage so no I don't cosplay from them. And I wish it'd stop being glorified when the plot and messages are shit. Anyone who does is selfish and cruel imo. Using "I cosplay this for the children" is a piss poor excuse and you know it fucking attention whores. Don't you dare try to use them to make yourself look better in the cosplay community. Not when you can't think about anyone else but yourself and what brando you buy from.

>> No.7654374

>>7654371
wat

>> No.7654394

>>7654374
Op asked for opinions. Mine is I hate it. And they can shove their sexist pom poms up their ass.

>> No.7654420

>>7654394
OP asked for opinions on Cosplay not the show.

>> No.7654426
File: 542 KB, 500x668, 1362184920061.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7654371

>> No.7654437

Maybe learn to read then? Know it's summer but damn.
>reasons why I hate the degrading series is precisely why I don't cosplay from it.

I forgot this new generation loves to promote shit buckled with excuses. You're ruining this community.

>> No.7654524

>>7654371
Loooooooool dude you know nothing about the series.

>> No.7654693
File: 126 KB, 353x287, eh2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7654371
>being this enraged over toys

>> No.7654713

>>7654371
No one want fat fashion dolls or even normalfag ones.
MH dolls don't look malnourished at all. They have unrealistic proportions that's it. Their heads is too big. Their calves too long compared to their thigs, and they have extremelly pronounced lordosis and an underdevelopped rib cage. That's what makes them cute and interesting to look at.

Also I doubt you ever watched the show. No characters lost weight as you seem to imply.

Also they have been like that since day one.

>> No.7654717

>>7654713
>MH dolls don't look malnourished at all
one is a literal skeleton

>> No.7654720

>>7654717
Malnourished people literally become skeletons? Fucking news to me.

>> No.7654722

>>7654717
A skeletton is a very common monster, it would have been lame if they avoided to have one just because of your misplaced sensibility about anorexia.

skeletton monster =/= anorexic

>> No.7654790
File: 1.15 MB, 2048x1360, 6855375160_4d425b46c9_k.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7649818
Somewhat shooting myself in the foot by self posting (as I'm the one in the pink) but my friend and I did Barbie Princess and the Pauper a couple of years ago and I really like this picture.

We had lots of little girls running up to us at events and wanting pictures and talking to us like we were the characters. It's so sweet.

I did Life in the Dreamhouse too but it was kinda terrible as it was thrown together in a couple of hours as a joke/casual cosplay.

>> No.7654798

>>7654790
Your dress is nice, but the angle here isn't the most flattering, try not to tilt your face down so much for photos. Also try to wear more makeup for a dolllike effect!
And getting recognized by kids in cosplay is the best!

>> No.7654820

>>7654790
This is not a flattering photo. You both look a little bit like men in drag.

>> No.7654829

>>7654790
Yeah, the photo might not be the most flattering, but I can see why you like it. You both look so happy, it's just cute!

>> No.7654843

>>7644773
I love both MH and Ever After High. I mainly watch it because of the cute characters and interesting designs. I do wish for MH to go back to the more witty/teen story lines though. They are kinda stuck in the ''Don't bully!'' ''Love yourself!'' message, while I enjoyed the more complex stories of Frankie loving both Jackyll/Hyde only to discover that they were the same. Still I think cosplaying from it is nice, because even though the outfits are a bit wacky, they still translate pretty well.

>> No.7654847

I wish shows like this aired in my country! I watched the shit out of Winx Club when I was younger (oh, the memories) and these shows make me almost nostalgic haha.

>> No.7654849

>>7654847
you can watch those episodes on internet only.
Those are webpisode.Check the everafterhigh tag on youtuve.

>> No.7654858
File: 25 KB, 279x400, 42341.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7654798
Especially when you're pretending to be a real life doll!! Kids love that kawaii shit!!

>>7654713
Don't take my words out of context. I never said they lost weight, THERE WAS NEVER ANY THERE TO LOSE. I've watched every episode, and every girl is a horribly thin, bland, covergirl tryhard, airhead obsessed with shoes and their appearance. Because apparently all monsters are now privileged royalty spoiled brats living out of their parents pockets? amiright?
The only exceptions are when they're unpopular with a horribly lazy design to boot, or from that pathetic anti-bullying crap they agreed to so they'd look less harmful to parents.
I do love dolls. But it's a sick mentality to try to be a doll yourself.

>>7654693
Once again, still wouldn't mind if they were just toys and not trying to teach kids about "adversity and accepting who you really are" when they don't even know the definition to the point it comes off arrogant and insulting not to mention hilariously sexist. Please point to me one girl that isn't wearing platform wedges or heels.
>If there is one, let's see their meaning behind why they're not wearing brando like the others.
And since when do cheerleaders preform while wearing stiletto's? Oh right, high school girls are sex objects. Is that really the message kids should be receiving? Cosplayers who cosplay from shit series deserved to be called out on it. Deal with it.

>> No.7654859

>>7654847
Winx Club is still going but it's gotten kind of formulaic in the last two seasons.

>> No.7654868

>>7654858
You seem like the type of person that would smack a Monster High doll out of a child's hands and tell them it was bad for them.

>> No.7654876
File: 268 KB, 643x483, 142341.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7654868
You seem like you can't come up with one good argument to counter me with.
Is this really the only thing this series has to offer? No one is even going to try to defend this properly without dodging questions and facts? I'm not surprised. What could you say? "They made me feel like I'd be accepted even if I'm a monster?" Trolololol. Not in those rags. You people proved that above, so quick to nit pick another fan just by their appearance. And I'M the one who doesn't understand the plot!? That's a riot.

>> No.7654879

>>7654876
Laughs I'm not them I'm >>7654798 you're just looking for people to yell at though aren't you.

>> No.7654881

>>7654858
It's called escapism. Little girls (and older dolls collectors) want to picture themselves as thin young and fashionable girls and not the homely fat cows they are likely to become latter in life. What would be the point of play-pretend toys if they were as mediocre as we are.
Also if you're poor you play with those dolls, pretending to have all those things you don't have. ES-CA-PISM.
No one want to picture themselves as some ugly fat poorfag.

And those are FASHION doll of course they are going to be elegant looking and love clothes.

I propose you try to sell your ideal dolls. I guess fat, wearing walmart clothes and see it bomb. Don't push your political agenda on toys.

Would you like to force little boys to play with skinny -ats pimply nerd or beer-bellied bald figures instead of He-man, GI-joe whatever muscular figure, because it mays lead them to roid hard latter in life.

>> No.7654885

>>7654879
Nope, just pointing out that literally no one has yet to be able to defend this series, and you still count considering you didn't have to say anything, but you did anyways. Not that she was looking for constructive criticism. You added to the several comments. Just can't hold it in can you? This is exactly my point. That's why you can't defend this shit, you don't even follow it yourselves so who are you trying to kid besides yourself? Cosplayers these days.

>> No.7654888

>>7654885
Your patting yourself on your back about being right, doesn't make you any less wrong.

I pity your future children.

>> No.7654891

>>7654885
I've never watched Monster High lmao, and I think the dolls have weird alien proportions. I didn't defend anything, and I gave nice helpful tips to improve what is already a cute cosplay.
Careful you don't break an ankle standing on that soapbox there while you try to convince catty girls on the internet that toys are bad.

>> No.7654892

>>7654881
Dolls can be dolls. I collect them. And once again, love them. I don't however love what this specific series is promoting. So obviously why would I cosplay from something I don't agree with? I must be arguing with children considering the amounts of time I've had to repeat myself.

>> No.7654907

>>7654881
Not all doll collectors are delusional weebs.

>> No.7654929

>>7644803
EAH has some luscious prints on some of the dresses, I can see why people would want to cosplay it.

Her gold and purple section looked gorgeous in the thumbnail, is a little messy closer up, but good on her for the amount of detail and accuracy, hope to see more people cosplay this series.

>> No.7654931

>>7654371
Very subtle....8/10 but you shoot yourself in the foot by describing aspects that MH and EAH dont actually have (ex all of them having makeup or big hair.) But very subtle, very good, here I thought no /cgl/ troll ever tried anymore

The only rageworthy fashion doll these days is fucking Lammily

>> No.7654937

>>7654931
Lammily is fucking ugly. Normal sizes don't translate well on dolls. They have weird disproportionate bodies, so they don't go into complete uncanny valley.

>> No.7654943

>>7654937
correct. Fashion dolls also have elongated and noodly bodies so that fabrics of human thickness can drape on them without looking oversized; in the pictures of Lammily, you can see they had to use super-thin, probably difficult to source fabric to make her clothes sit on her.

Plus:
>$40 for a basic-ass doll with two outfits
>hideously limited articulation
>neckbeard designer literally said "Barbie seemed like a women who would never date me, I wanted dolls to be more approachable and warm girls" and named the thing after himself
>plebes shitting themselves and throwing money at this when everything remotely interesting about the concept of a "normal girl" doll for kids is already covered by American Girl

>> No.7654949

>>7654943
OT but on that last point, as much as it's nice that American Girl's modern girl line caters to all sorts of kids, I still miss when they were more focused on the original historical dolls

but mostly I'm just fucking bitter I never got a Molly doll before they decided to retire her

>> No.7654950

>>7654371
You sound old and fat.

>> No.7654953
File: 810 KB, 1280x1024, nefera-de-nile-cartoon-network-wallpaper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to cosplay Nefera! Her color scheme is fantastic and her outfits are somewhat more interesting than Cleo's. Making the patterned clothing a lot of MHs have would be so fun.

>>7644803
The wig is kind of odd looking. Going off the doll shouldn't it be almost the same color as the light blues? Still so cute though.
I like the concept and color scheme of the Red Riding Hood EAH but her actual clothing is so Hot Topic reject, I could never.

>>7654937
Where are these mythical little girls who look at Barbie and think "I have to be this thin and tall, and have a head-sized waist!" Have any of you ever met one? I never had a thought resembling that, any more than Sailor Moon made me think my eyes had to be enormous.

>> No.7654956

>>7654943
>neckbeard designer literally said "Barbie seemed like a women who would never date me, I wanted dolls to be more approachable and warm girls" and named the thing after himself
Seriously? Barf.

>> No.7654958

>>7654956
>“If Barbie were a real woman, she’d be intimidating and cold, and what I like about real women is that they’re warm and friendly,” Lamm said in the interview. “I just wanted to create an image that would reflect that.”

>> No.7654974

>>7654931
Thank you for recognizing the bait and not falling for it.

>> No.7654986

I want Snow White's wardrobe, but I detest her narrow-minded view point. I'm so conflicted. I hope she gets more character development...

>> No.7655004

>>7654953
I don't even know, only thing I heard about children and copying toys is a (fake) story about some little retards jumping down a well and cutting holes in their abdomens to be more like Teletubbies. But if your little precious baby is dumb enough to attempt either of those things, honestly don't even bother trying to stop them, it's for the best.

>> No.7655055
File: 258 KB, 386x306, eah_snow_white.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7654986
Can you tell me what's up with her design? I'm not familiar with EAH, most of the promo art and doll pics I have seen of Apple White have her in a somewhat tacky pink and red puff-sleeve outfit like left in pic related (the designs of the skirt are pretty, though) or else a long cape outfit. However some art has her in a punky modern outfit like the right. What is the punky outfit, is it a special release doll?

>> No.7655060

>>7654958
>Women with long legs and small waists are bitches!
Dis guy.

>> No.7655065

>>7655060
Thing is, I feel it was only partially her proportions and partially the fact that Barbie's schtick has always been "having it all" -- houses, cars, fifty careers, a pile of haute couture dresses. He's intimidated by the idea of a girl who has a ton of stuff and jobs and wouldn't date him so he designed a teenage girl doll whose biggest achievement is playing soccer and is marketed as "average".

The amount of people on FB and tumblr who rallied around that as progressive or feminist was fucking baffling.

>> No.7655205
File: 38 KB, 500x500, 0074677518585_500X500[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7654713
They make me think of Bratz dolls in terms of proportions.

They're toys. THey're not supposed to be realistic. They have tiny waists, huge hips, tiny calves, huge heads, legs longer than any sort of human's could ever be compared to torso length, etc. They're not SUPPOSED to look like real people.

>>7654717
are you fucking retarded they're all monsters, of course there's a skeleton.

At least they made her actually have bones for a body, instead of making her look like a real ana-chan with weird white skin though, right?

I really like the characters and even the show, to be honest.

>> No.7655213

>>7654847
If anyone wants to bitch more about unrealistic bodies

Go check out Winx Club.

They cray.

>>7654881
This. A doll is a doll, and the show and dolls carry the same proportions, so I don't see how anyone can compalin about it. Just like high fashion models look like no human ever should, so do fashion dolls. Everything is exaggerated.

Girls like "ideal" looking girl dolls in the same way that boys like "ideal" looking boy dolls. Girls are apparently just retarded and can't separate reality with the way their fucking dolls look.

>am a grill

I never understood how playing with a fucking doll could cause someone to think that they shoul look like that doll, unless their parents or peers were making fun of them for being fat.

>> No.7655233

>>7655055
The right one is the original design, the left one correspond to the actual basic doll.

>> No.7655255

>>7654858
Alright let me tell you about MH. I've been following the series since around 2011 and it honestly does not sound like you've ever watched it or anything. Monster Highs motto is "Be Unique, Be Yourself, Be a Monster" which they enforce all the time, especially in their movies. It's a great message for kids and that's not the only one they have. It's about accepting your "freaky flaws" and loving yourself. Each monster has a flaw. While the earlier ones might seem superficial they've gone beyond and above since that. Jane Boolittle is a monster with a social anxiety and they've gone quite into it in the series.
>I've watched every episode, and every girl is a horribly thin, bland, covergirl tryhard, airhead obsessed with shoes and their appearance
This is untrue. While some of the ghouls like to look good that's not it for all of them. Their newest doll Gilda Goldstag has no makeup on at all. In one of their special webisodes about bullying, the girl had a larger frame because she does so in real life. Most girls don't focus on their appearance much at all but other bigger things. Usually working together to overcome whatever the obstacle is. And yeah some of them do put effort into their appearance so what? Lots of girls like to, who are you to tell them that they are wrong?
>Because apparently all monsters are now privileged royalty spoiled brats living out of their parents pockets? amiright?
The only ones who spend lots of money are Cleo and Draculaura. None of the other ghouls do that.
>But it's a sick mentality to try to be a doll yourself.
Who is promoting to look like a doll? No one. Kids don't think 'oh I have to look so thin like my dolls!' No, they don't. You know what does make them think that? The media of real life people, telling girls they have to be thin. MH is about accepting yourself, not looking like a doll.

>> No.7655274

>>7655065
Barbie: life in the dreamhouse actually jokes about the fact that Barbie has done so much and has so many things that Ken struggles to do things like give her gifts and sometimes feels inadequate as a boyfriend. Barbie just tells him that it doesn't matter because she loves him for who he is and the fact that he tries anyway is what matters.

But nooo, Barbie is a bitch and little girls should aspire to nothing.

>> No.7655281

>>7654858
A kid's show about poor, ugly people struggling through life with personal issues sounds depressing to watch.

On topic, I'm not sure why the doll cosplay isn't more popular! Especially for Ever After High. There are a whole bunch of details that could be gotten wrong, but the character designs are so cute.

>> No.7655297

>>7654858
Why are you coming in here to bitch about the show, which is made just for the web and to pad the merchandise sales? They're dolls. I'm planning a cosplay of one and have seen maybe ~30sec of the show. Go bother the KLK thread and their battle bikinis.

>> No.7655299

>>7655233
Oh. A shame, I like the black hem on the original skirt

>> No.7655311
File: 23 KB, 209x436, mermaid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7655281
I'm sorry are you shitting on Hey Arnold?
Because it sounds like you are shitting on Hey Arnold. Also lots of other kids shows exactly like that, like rugrats, recess, erm, others...

Anyway, there are studies showing that girls can be negatively influenced by their dolls shapes, but that is in conjunction with a whole slew of other bullshit societal pressures so I am not on board with that line of thinking. The dolls are cute, the shows are boring as hell and cringe worthy imo, but little kids love that kind of thing and they tend to at least try and have a good message. I am just excited that there is a line of girls toys that are about monsters and weird shit finally. When I was a kid I had to shop exclusively in boys toys because the girl isle was so shitty and boring and nothing but pink on pink on pink. It was awful. The Barbies I did own (and I owned a ton thanks to unimaginative relatives) I would cut their hair and make gothy/grunge outfits for them, I would have loved to have this kind of doll when I was a kid. It would have been nice to know at the time that I could be weird and dark and smart still dress cute. I spent a lot of years in nothing but black t-shirts and torn pants because I didn't think pretty goth stuff existed. Then one day I found out about EGL and that all changed.

In more related news, I am going to buy the fuck out of this doll and give her a new face paint.

>> No.7655340

>>7655311
What is this doll called and how can I get her, I need to repaint her!

>> No.7655349

>>7655311
never mind, I forgot google was a thing for a second there. I want this entire series tho

>> No.7655382

>>7655349
I FUCKING KNOW. They are super cool!

>> No.7655424

>>7655382
I love repainting new faces! the same face is the one thing that has kept me away from ever after high actually

>> No.7655427
File: 144 KB, 420x750, Profile_art_-_Bonita.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7655311
I have her and she is so gorgeous. I can't wait to see your repaint! I haven't seen many Sirena repaints yet. I'm debating on cosplaying her. I'd love to cosplay Bonita too, but like those wings man. (Pic for people who don't know who she is)

I'm also thinking of doing a Lizzie Hearts cosplay from EAH.

>> No.7657194

>>7654953
I agree that Nefera has one of the best color schemes of the whole MH series. The aqua blue and gold match very well.

Also I agree on the Barbie thing. I was more figuring out how she could have such a big wardrobe and multiple cars then comparing myself to her.

I really want to cosplay Operetta. I love rockabilly fashion. So she seems perfect for me, with her 50's hair.

>> No.7657984

>>7655311
>ghost mermaid woo woo

I feel you so hard on the second paragraph. There was a tumblr post about the McDonalds Happy Meal MH pets that was like "look at this shit, it's a wooly mammoth zombie with an exposed brain AS A GIRL'S TOY, look how FUCKING RAD THIS IS" that kind of summed it up. I'm perpetually impressed by how detailed and unabashedly spooky they make everything in MH without ever stopping aiming it at little girls.

>> No.7658018

>>765719
shit...please cosplay Operetta and make irl treble clef heels...

>> No.7658021

>>7658018
meant to reply to >>7657194 idk what happened here

>> No.7658022

I like all the designs but the dolls always look cheap IRL.

Then again, I don't know anything about, say, changing the hair which is always the thing that looks tackiest. Probably other people can make the dolls look better.

>> No.7659038

>>7657984
Yeah I love the spooky vibes MH has. They don't stop at cute vampires/werewolves. Every creeper gets a chance to shine, even if they have to find a way to make Gargoyles/Arachnid Monsters cute.

>>7658018
Those heels are my favorite thing about her outfit. I just have no clue how to make them sturdy enough so I can actually walk on them.

>> No.7659057

>>7659038
My advice would be to work around the heel - the vertical part of the note should be the shoe's normal heel. Then make sure that the rest of it is either exactly at the same level or a little bit higher so that your weight rests on the heel and not on the parts you added.