[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 53 KB, 462x343, smchar_mars015.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.7642075 [Reply] [Original]

This just happened to me today:
>local fabric store is having sale on casa satin
>have some coupons for regular priced fabric
>get fabric for Sailor Moon and Ryuko Matoi
>go to cutting counter
>"What is all this fabric for?"
>"Oh, just making some costumes..."
>"What are the costumes for?"
>explain to her what conventions are without dropping my spaghetti
>starts cutting the fabric for Ryuko
>What character is this going to be?
>Start to lose my shit
>"Uh... erm... well, she goes to school, and her uniform is blue..."
>that was the best I could make up on the spot
>proceeds to ask what character I'm making for every damn piece of fabric she cuts
>"That will be (price), have a good day!"

I don't know about you guys, but I hate it when people ask me what I need the fabric for because I just look like a fucking autist.
Share your stories, cgl.

>> No.7642082

>>7642075
I'm the same way anon. I just say "I'm making the costumes for my nieces and nephews for a party." And when they ask for specifics I respond with I don't know, I'm not sure.

>> No.7642087

>>7642075
I tell them it's top secret.

>> No.7642092

>>7642075
Not a fabric store, but thread relevant

>Go to a local army/navy store with my friend
>Looking at belts and shit for his nudist beach Mikisugi cosplay
>Girl, probably the owner's daughter, comes over to help us
>We describe the belt to try and find out some kind of exact idea of what pouches/etc to buy
>"Can I see a picture of it?"
>Us - "uhhh..."
>"Is it for a costume? What kind?"
>Friend looks at me, says "I'm not explaining this."
>Drop my spaghetti hardcore "Uhh..I dont really wanna (haha) either.."
>She laughs at us and starts describing the different pouches and shit
>Both of us stand around awkwardly nodding our heads

Wasn't too terrible, I guess. Until I was looking through their shipment magazine and the owner snapped it out of my hand and kind of snarled at me.
I wanted to leave after that.

>> No.7642106

>>7642092
Oh, I never have problems at fabric stores though.
It's usually older women surprised to see some dude buying fabric without a girlfriend or mother with him.
Or I get
>You do realize this is [insert amount here] per yard...?
Like I didn't notice/will be shocked.

>> No.7642138

>>7642075
>>7642082
Fabric Store anon here. I'm sure you know this, but we are told to ask by corporate. I love when people come in to work on costumes though, whether it's for theater, cosplay, renfaire, or whatever. It's easier for me to give them more bizarre suggestions on how to do things or what fabrics to use than your average soccer mom who comes in to make drapes but has never sewn before and didn't measure their windows before had. ("It's just an average window. How much do I need?")

>>7642106
Like I didn't notice/will be shocked.

In all fairness, you'd be surprised how many people ARE shocked or don't look at the bolt ends before coming to the cutting table. The people cutting for you should phrase it better though.

>> No.7642159

>>7642075
You want a horrible fabric store experience? Try going to one while being male.
I walk into a fabric store, and if I am not entirely ignored, or asked if I am there looking for my girlfriend, or often grandmother, I am patronized, talked down to, and generally treated as though I am some terrible moron who cannot possibly comprehend how to sew or pick out fabric.

>> No.7642168

>>7642092
I love telling the employees at the fabric store what costumes I am working on! They get excited about showing me whatever strange fabrics they got in stock recently, or if they had some ideas that might work for something I am making.
They always insist on seeing pics of my finished work, too. They seem to really enjoy my visits.

>> No.7642170

>>7642138
JoAnns Fairy here. We're especially getting pressured by corporate to ask about every project. But I love love hearing about costumes, too! For theatre, cosplay, whatever. It's nicer than the zillionth fleece tie blanket of the day, or another set of burp cloths, or chevrons for a sorority girl to make into letters. Anything interesting is great to hear about. There's a dude who special-ordered 10 yards of a gorgeous black suiting for a Batman cape several months ago. Made everybody's day.

You'd be surprised, too. Some of the "old ladies" who work there have been stagehands and in SCA for years. By definition people who work at craft stores tend to be a little weird.

>> No.7642204

"Being pressured by corporate" hasn't ever been an excuse to annoy your customers. Don't do something you're told to do if it's obnoxious. Take some responsibility for your actions.

>> No.7642210

>>7642204
>hasn't ever been an excuse to annoy your customers
You've never worked in customer service, have you?
>work in clothing retail
>literally have a quota to meet everyday to get people to sign up for our credit card
>if we don't we get yelled at and told by management how disappointed they are in us
>the other day I was told to keep going with my spiel even if the customer cuts me off

You haven't a clue.

>> No.7642212

One time when I worked at a fabric store, I had an older woman buying costume materials for her daughter. She was describing the character, "She's a red head in a catsuit with an heart eye-patch from Venture Bros" (or something along those lines). I was like, "yeah, Molotov....something."

I always kinda wondered if the mom knew the character and was embarrassed to mention the full name to a stranger, or if the daughter never told her.

>> No.7642215

Does anyone else have a problem with old ladies demanding you help them at hobby lobby when you don't even work there? This has happened to me a dozen times now. I don't know if they're too senile to realize I'm a fellow customer or too entitled to care.
This has never happened to me a joann's though.

>> No.7642217

I went to a fabric store today to find the right fabric for a darth revan costume.... Oh gods! it took at least an hour or two just to find the right fabric for the cape. (i am still not sure so i am open for suggestion since i ended up not taking any) And then, (because this is my first time) i came unprepared (yay me!) so i didn't even know for how long i need the fabric. and ugggghhh never thought i'd be so complicated making a costume for comic con. At least the person there was super nice.

>> No.7642220

>>7642204
>being asked a simple question is obnoxious and annoying
Dude you don't even have to answer. Sometimes I just reply with "stuff" and they'll drop it.

If the manager's nearby, the employee can and usually will be given shit if they don't do it.

>> No.7642221

>>7642210
>how disappointed they are in us

I work in what's basically an apprenticeship, never worked slave retail. I don't think I ever could, knowing how hard I'd laugh when being told this.

>> No.7642450

Op here.
I didn't know that they were required to ask. I'll keep that in mind next time.

Also, does anyone else get annoyed when there's a bunch of old ladies getting their fabric cut for their crafts and quilts and shit, and they don't shut the fuck up? They just keep talking about nothing, holding up the lines.

>> No.7642457

>>7642217
>Measuring before shopping
>Complicated

Costume making isn't for you.

>> No.7642459

>>7642450
I get stuck behind Pinterest moms who want to make tutus for their horrible children and have to waste everyone's time arguing with the worker because they want the worker to cut all their tulle into 2" strips because it's THEIR JOB to cut fabric /sigh

>> No.7642543

Joann employee here!

In theory, we're supposed to ask every customer what they're working on so that we can try to sell them more stuff ("oh, you're working on ____? We sell _____ that might help you out!"). I don't reay do this though, because it's fucking annoying. I will, however, ask about a customer's projects if I have to measure a lot of yardage and want to fill the awkward silence.

Also, to be fair, it's pretty easy to spot fellow cosplayers. I enjoy finding cosplayers at work, and I've actually made quite a few friends by talking to then at work about cosplay, and then exchanging contact info and hanging out later. But I have to ask a billion questions and tell them I'm a cosplayer myself before they start getting into details about which characters, convention, etc.

>> No.7642571

I'm in Joann so often that I know most of the attendants by now. They've always seemed interested and I always have my phone at the ready to show them a picture of what I'm making and have made!

I've basically accepted that I'm weird as fuck and to be nervous over something like this is stupid.

>> No.7642615

>>7642210
are you kohls

>> No.7642620

>>7642159
Oh, how terrible for you.

>> No.7642671

>>7642215
Almost every time I'm in a JoAnns people think I'm an employee? My best guess is it's because my cart is piled high with bolts of fabric, maybe they think I'm restocking (in a dress though?)
I do my best to answer sewing questions but I have no clue where beading wire is in the store...

>> No.7643215

my joann's failed me today; i circled all the fabric aisles twice and could not find the cotton batiste. finally asked someone and she said "oh it's up front with quilting".

except it wasn't. wtf?!

>> No.7643282
File: 2.89 MB, 264x198, okthnx.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7642159
As a woman, I have no idea what that feels like.

>> No.7643287

>>7643215
>batiste
>joann's
brb loling forever....if they have it, it should be with the shirtings/specialty cottons. easier to just order it online, anon.

>> No.7643302

>>7642159
AHAHAH this is gold. Cry me a river faggot

>> No.7643403

>>7642159
without the "oh HAHA that's just daily life for women" for once: many young people get treated like that when buying fabric. older clerks think all teenagers and young adults only come to destroy or steal stuff

>> No.7643415

There's always that guy before you in line
>"well uuuh... I need... I dunno... can you show me two metres? NO NO that's way too much... uuuuhhhh... how much fabric do I need for pants? wait no... I need to call my mother... is this even the right fabric? how do I sew pants?"
>meanwhile everyone else starves to death >civilizations rise and fall
>he leaves without buying anything

>> No.7643427

>>7642210
I worked at Macy's and I can attest to this. It's all talk, though. I didn't get a credit until four months into the job and nobody did anything about it

>> No.7643447

>>7643287
it's only because i've found it before with no problems, but NOT ANYMORE I GUESS.

>> No.7643485

>>7643447
i've only ever seen it at the super mega joann's stores, never at the smaller ones. same thing with cotton lawn.

>> No.7643491

>>7643427
>Work at Victoria's Secret
>"Sign people up for credit cards, anon"
>Sign 3 people up in 2 hours
>No one else signed more than 1
>Holy shit I'm awesome at this
>"Uhh anon we need you to sign up more people."
>Never sign up anyone again

>> No.7643579

>>7642106

You'd be amazed how many people don't even look at the price of stuff, we get a lot of cuts of fabric brought back or shoved onto random shelves because some dumbass didn't realize their sequined performance fabric was $25/yd or didn't read the sale sign correctly.
I would never point out the price in such a condescending way, but when a clueless-seeming person is having something expensive cut (especially foam, people never understand how the foam is sold and priced) I try to tactfully mention the price and/or whether it's on sale so they don't end up arguing with the cashier later.

I can usually pick out the cosplayers (decked out in animu paraphernalia, etc), they're often reluctant to tell me what they're making until I tell them that I cosplay too and I'm going to the same con they are. If I ask what character they're doing it's because I'm genuinely curious. If a customer seems like they don't want to chit-chat though I'll back off.

>>7642459
>want the worker to cut all their tulle into 2" strips because it's THEIR JOB to cut fabric /sigh
Fuck those people, it's our job to cut the fabric into sell-able pieces not do their entire project for them.

>> No.7643598

>>7642217
You sound like you were completely insufferable to work with, especially with the autistic way you wrote all that.

>> No.7643615
File: 121 KB, 774x1032, measles pony.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dumb story time

>be me a couple years back
>be looking for soft material to buy for plushes
>as you all may know, the only minky most stores sell is bump-minky for baby blankets
>see pic related for why it's not for plushies lmao
>parent is senile and thinks buying minky online would result in them ripping us off somehow
>looking for something that isn't fleece b/c fuck fleece
>find "ultra cuddle"
>it's soft like minky and double sided
>seems legit
>gets some cut and brings it home
>immediately when I take it out it starts shedding everywhere
>it cuts horribly
>little fuzzy fucks everywhere and on everything
>parent is extremely pissed
>I argue that I won't clean it up until it's agreed on that we'll buy minky online
>[Deal] or No Deal
>I never buy ultra cuddle ever again

>> No.7643622

>>7643403
Oh man, when I worked there, I had old lady customers who would refuse to take advice from me.

>> No.7643635

I was checking out at the counter, the nice older lady asked what I was making. I explained cons/cosplay and she told me her daughter went to a comic con and wears steampunk and that she helped her make her steampunk outfit. It was nice to have someone who understood the subculture a little bit!

>> No.7643642

>>7642620
>>7643282
>>7643302
>>7643403

ITT: DIE MALE CIS SCUM

>> No.7643651

>sweet lolita
I buy a lot of ribbons, tulle, and other crap to make accessories or small alterations and occasionally go to the store in lolita so I don't have to carry the dress I'm trying to match. If it is too much for the store, I bring a piece, like a waist tie or the sample patch, but I'm still always dressed a little weirdly.

When they ask, I love to say messed up things very seriously like "I am building the finest nest of spun gold in all the land" or "this is for my coronation" before we both laugh and start talking about subculture fashions.

The JoAnn's staff in my area is pretty cool and obviously sees their fair share of cosplay and lolita.

>> No.7643679

>>7643403
This. I work at a JoAnns and I've had old ladies refuse to take advice from me, or they'll come up to and literally ask to speak with someone older. I had someone once refuse to even speak to me because I'm "too young and wouldn't know what she was looking for" (she was looking for fucking twill)

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there's a certain age in which you magically learn all knowledge of fabric and sewing. I guess they assume that since I'm young (I'm 26) that I'm just working there because it was the only place I could get hired or whatever. But there are some older employees who don't know anything about sewing, so you can't really judge someone's ability based on age.

>> No.7643693

>>7643642
You don't have to be a feminist to be annoyed by someone who's acting like a snowflake b/c of their sex.

"Yeah well, I'm a guy in a fabric shop and women look at me weird and treat me like I don't know anything about fabric!!" is just as annoying and retarded as "I went to Gamestop the other day and guys kept looking at me and the clerk acted like I knew nothing about video games!!"

Suck up and shut up, nobody wants to hear someone whining about such trivial bullshit. You get the fabric/games and you leave. Someone holding your hand isn't the same as someone straight up being an asshole to you or having something go wrong.

>> No.7644043

>>7642075
>I hate it when people ask me what I need the fabric for
They're just being polite and politely curious.
You might have impressed them if you just came outright and said you were making costumes for some Japanese anime characters.

You never know the way people will react. You might even impress them.

Stop being so anti-social and just answer the questions. Some people like to share what they're doing.

>> No.7644197

>>7643579
I work at a hardware store and it's super easy to pick out the cosplayers and nerds.

>young people buying lots of EVA foam? They're generally cosplayers building armor
>someone standing near the paint desk with a million swatches of blue? They're probably looking for TARDIS blue (aks us first, we actually have the official BBC colour in our system)

>> No.7644206

>to to fabric store to buy some material for a dress
>see's friend there working
>dude I forgot you worked there
>yeah man what are you getting.
>just some stuff for a dress
>Woah I didn't know you made your own clothes
>haha, not often but yeah.
>later that day we went to the same party and got fucked up.

>> No.7644900
File: 20 KB, 310x310, tryingnottolaugh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7643615
You can iron the bubbles flat.

>> No.7644906

They're asking because people buy fabric that isn't right for what they intend to do with it.
Just say whatever item you plan to make:

i.e skirt/shorts/jacket etc, don't be an autist

>> No.7645010

>>7642210
>Work in automotive retail store
>we're required to sign up at least 100 people a day for the rewards card
>Were told to demand every customer's phone number before ringing them up and sign up EVERYONE
>Your'e fired if you don't meet the quota

Seriously, fuck retail. We straight up had to harass people for their phone numbers and addresses to sign them up for the rewards card! By my fifth year there I didn't even bother since I was pretty much unfirable at that point by being the only fully trained employee in the store. I hate having to harass people over that dumb shit it's so nerve wracking

>> No.7645117

>>7643642
funny because my post said basically the opposite. learn to read

>> No.7645120

>>7642075
>>go to fabricland wee
>>spend a good 20 minutes or so before deciding what to get
>>get the fabric cut
>>"so whatre you makiiing?"
>>"uh.."
>>shit shit "not sure yet!!"

>> No.7645124

>>7643282
god you are a beautiful animal, thank you, ALWP

>> No.7645150
File: 2.74 MB, 640x359, 1390814887107.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7642159
>>7642075

The old ladies pretty much treat myself and other people/friends who are my age at our fabric store like shit. As if we're there to mess things up and steal, but I doubt it doesn't happen. I understand watching our every move but being quite unfriendly doesn't make us wanna come back. Which is probably their motive.

>> No.7645155
File: 128 KB, 249x249, 1343972359083.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Visiting family friend a couple of hours drive away.
>Stop by big fabric store on the way back, need some bits and pieces.
>Need one button.
>Carrying lots of little things, keep dropping stuff, decide to put (full) tube of buttons in jacket pocket.
>It barely stays in the pocket because it's so big. Very visible, etc.
>Check out, throw jacket in car, go home.
>...Fuck.

I accidentally stole like $80 worth of buttons and I'm now certain that the cashier noticed but didn't say anything.

>> No.7645160

>>7645155
Well, you'll probably never go there again, so fuck it. Free buttons. You didn't do it on purpose, you're not some scumbag for not wanting to drive all the way back to give them back.

>> No.7645167
File: 804 KB, 380x285, 1388407955091.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7645150
Ah wrong, meant this one.

>> No.7645203

>>7645155
that's just cheap chinese crap and surely not worth 80 bucks, even if the tube says so. dunno if that makes you feel better

>> No.7645205

>>7642170
I would figure if you sew for cosplay then someone who makes fabric their profession/hobby would hear about it.

>> No.7645221

Hancocks anon here. I find it more embarrassing when people won't just come out and say they're making cosplay.

I can tell by how uncomfortable they seem or how they keep denying help even though they've been by the cutting table three times looking distressed without bringing anything up.

I wear a sutble anime pin to keep my badge on, and I'm not an older woman who's going to judge you for cosplaying. Fucking spit it out and let me help you.

>> No.7645229

>>7643693
This.

I wouldn't give a shit. If someone is going to be a cunt about your hobby then fuck them. Show up more often and help people form a different opinion of yourself and others.

Maybe if more people would stop caring about what some random jack off though then there would be less shitty stereotypes. Hell that's why they exist. They don't expect most guys in there. Then you show up more then once and they think "Wow this guy actually knows what the fuck he is doing" . Just fucking do what your going to do and fuck everyone else.

That's what makes you confident. You know who you are, what you are going to do and you are giving no fucks.

>> No.7645241

>>7645229
>That's what makes you confident. You know who you are, what you are going to do and you are giving no fucks.

This. Only unconfident, insecure fucks will bitch and cry and bring gender or race into shit. Stop making everything a god damn gender piss contest or stereotypes will never ever end ever.

>> No.7645244

>>7645229
>>7645241
>thread about annoying experiences at fabric stores
>UGH! Stop complaining about annoying experiences at fabric stores

>> No.7645249

>>7645155
how many buttons did you get for 80 freakin dollars?!

>> No.7645254

>>7645244
Yes please. Stop being a bitch and then we can have no more of these threads.

>> No.7645255

>>7645249
30-something. They're little solid steel(?) ones with anchors cast into them.

The tube must have been BRAND new, never-opened.

>> No.7645308

>>7642210
Worked at the Gap last summer. Never got a customer a Gap card at all the entire time I worked there. Surprisingly I never got fired and was an average employee. Didn't give a shit about the job and everyone knew.

Then again they never trained me on register or how to use the computer to get people these cards. I know for a fact though that I wont be rehired this summer.

>> No.7645317
File: 27 KB, 290x350, wow-its-fucking-nothing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7642075
Are you young? Like under 20 young? Cause I remember not knowing quite what to say at first when I was like 17. At that age you feel like the entire world is tallying up cool and uncool points on you.

At some point you get some social skills and realize everyone else is just living life and ultimately gives no shit about what you do.

So just say what you are making. I do. The ladies are nice and don't care. Last time I straight up told them I was making military uniform that needed some pleather for a harness. That could have sounded sexual as hell but no one batted an eye.

>> No.7645475

JoAnn fairy again.

I always tell anxious cosplayers when they don't what to tell me what it is (when literally everything they've brought up is Madoka-colored), that we have literally, quite literally heard everything. I've outfitted drag queens, male strippers, ninja turtles, batman, vagina quilts, you name it. Cosplay is not the weirdest thing we've heard all day.

Also, it's good to check what materials they're using and possibly steer you toward something that'll lay better. Like people trying to make Sailor Saturn out of broadcloth and costume satin.

>> No.7645524

i am so jealous of some of you- i've never run into a cosplaying fabric store employee but I have seen more and more obvious cosplayers in the garment district buying stuff- probably because AX and comicon are coming up soon.

>> No.7645549
File: 108 KB, 360x316, neat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alright, this happened today and I still can't get over it.

>Fabric store in local mall
>Sitting outside at the cafe having breakfast (the shops were just starting to open so there weren't many people around)
>See a large girl in red lolita hurrying past me
>Alright then
>Continue eating for about twenty seconds
>Three security guards rush past
>Mull over following them to watch them tackle the lolita-clad shoplifter
>Continue eating breakfast

It was a good day.

>> No.7645552

>>7645317
or just pull the classic "for crafting" and vague answers, but i'm not a big fan of small talk

>> No.7645558

>>7645549
>bright red
>obscure/loud fashion

and next, on "What to not wear when fucking shoplifting"

>> No.7645567

>>7642159
Can you imagine the lawsuits if a woman walked into say...a hardware store and was treated the same way?

Protip, give them as much shit as they are giving you, there isn't much they can do.

>> No.7645570

>>7645558
IDK anon, if you're partnering up with someone that would work

>> No.7645581

>>7645570
as the decoy or something it might work, true

>> No.7645582

>>7645567
>Can you imagine the lawsuits if a woman walked into say...a hardware store and was treated the same way?

Sorry but a Tumblr sob story like "I went to Home Depot and the employees acted like I didn't know anything about tools" isn't a valid lawsuit.

>> No.7645585

>>7645581
>>7645570
Good idea anons. But there's always a small chance both of you would be questioned and that'd be that. Even so, it's more likely they'd be too embarrassed to check the other person.

>> No.7645587

>>7645585
Watch this become a nationwide scandal

"Shoplifting duos: featuring bright red lolita"

>> No.7645592

>>7645567
Happens all the time. Ladies in hardware stores are treated like they don't know much, but that usually takes the form of workers in the aisles continually asking them if they need help or going overboard on basic advice to answer a question. Maleanon is probably overblowing the helpfulness of the store clerks as deliberately emasculating him - protip, being "patronised/talked down to" is part and parcel of going into a specialised store where you are not the expected target audience. Either show your power level or just let the workers run their mouths, either way you can still get the products you need. Nobody is standing at the registers literally blocking men from buying fabric and thread.

>> No.7645656

Not anyone's fault but my own but when i was buying fabric for my costume when i was like, 13 or some shit the lady cutting my fabric misheard me and cut 8 yards if fabric rather than the 3 i asked for. I was too busy with another thing of fabric and when i did notice i was too nervous to say anything. Ended up paying $80ish for a bunch of fabric i didn't want. I still have at least 4 yards of it laying around in my fabric bin. ugh, i'm still embarrassed when i dig to the bottom.

>> No.7645708
File: 469 KB, 433x599, 1402435157355.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7645010
>have to point out receipt surveys
>almost never bother
>one of only two people in the store to get a corporate award for good service

>> No.7645712

Am I the only one who thinks male anon's story is not really out of line or anything?
Yeah, I've experienced sexism in game stores and the like. And that's definitely more widespread. But a guy telling his experience facing sexism gives guys something to relate to our experience. I didn't read it as a not all men/"reverse-sexism!!11" thing, just a shared experience. It's good for guys to see stuff like this and realize how stereotypes effect everyone negatively and get a slice of what women deal with. It's the same damn cultural expectations that both make people think women aren't gamers and men don't sew. You all know this.

>> No.7645716

I got asked what I'm doing with my fabric and just said costumes. The cutting lady assumed for Halloween and congratulated me on starting early. I didn't bother correcting her but we small talked about it.

I don't mind talking about costumes because there's cosplayers who buy from there all the time and some workers do too. It also makes the wait for cutting lots of fabric at once bearable.

>> No.7645720

What I've started doing is coming up with a "normal" sewing project while waiting for my turn at the cut counter.

>Oh, I'm making some pants.
>It's going to be a vest.
>I'm making a dress.

Hide your power level and have an answer to the question.

>> No.7645729

I was buying shitty fun fur for an ayame cosplay back in...2006? Something like that. Got to the cutting table and was 99% sure the lady was also into anime because a cutesy cat pin she had on.

Turns out she was a furry, ended up ladybros for life. Like a true ladybro, she didn't let me buy the shitty fur and gave me some of the high quality websites I still use today. Not that I really use fur often, but still.

>> No.7645740
File: 77 KB, 500x500, 1403998985524.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7644900
The bubbles pop back out over time or if you wash them.

The material is stretched when the bubbles are made by machine anyways, so even if you iron them the material isn't going to be even, you dipshit.

>> No.7645745

>>7642075
Not bad experiences and not all from purely fabric but these are mine:

>looking for fur
>one roll is $18 p/m (Ausfag so metres)
>its not the pink shade I want but for project whatever
>in the line but have a couple lil old ladies in front so scan area
>oh my god theres the colour
>grab it, perfect fur. perfect colour. $9.99
>areyoushittingme
>exchange it and get to counter after letting some ribbon only buyers through
>manager asks what its for
> "Just some tails for a costume I'm making"
>goes on about cat girls and how cute some designs are and so chill
>get the whole roll for $50

Go to a foam/rubber store:
>guy asks me what its for
>"Um it's kinda for thermoplastic to wrap around. Worbla? Everyone is using it for armour"
>guy says he's actually a hobbyist in armour and recommends the stuff he's used
>get into lengthy convo about conventions and whatnot. He ended up going and having a look himself.

So not all experiences have to be sperg lord. I do admit some people just do not care or look at you like you're an idiot when you show a pic. my local fabric store are so chill and even help me pick fabrics that are cheap and effective.

>> No.7645753

>>7645567
An eye for an eye makes the world blind, anon.

>> No.7645759
File: 108 KB, 500x328, 2416838878_73753019fb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not a fabric store, but
>Go to Michael's
>40% entire purchase fuck yes
>get to counter; pay in ones
>jokingly say to the cashier "It's not what you think; I'm a delivery driver"
>MFW her nervous laughter was heard to the framing department
>MFW she honestly thought my 225lb ass was a stripper

>> No.7645773

>>7645753
Except for people who don't go around putting out other peoples eyes

>> No.7645776

>>7645567
Try being a woman and working in one. I worked in hardware at a local home depot for about 5 years. Try having customers tell you to your face "I don't want you to help. Go get me a man." Or having a customer with clearly no fucking clue why their hammer drill "isn't working/jumping", explaining it to them and have them walk away from you and ask a man the same thing. I've had days where customers will ask me a question, I'll answer it easily, they go find a dude in another department and end up getting led right back to me. It's like, fuck man, I work in this department for a reason. Do you thing plumbing really knows more than me about drills?

I've had more stupid customers tell me to my face "you wouldn't know anything about __tool, where's the hardware men?" than any dude will ever get shit in a fabric/crafts store.

>> No.7645781
File: 71 KB, 160x120, Th_tumblr_logfhsgVP81qbg0qq.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7645776

>> No.7645787

>>7645776
Holy shit
I'd hate to have your job, damn.

>> No.7645791

>>7645776
whenever I go to hardware or game stores, or any "manly" kind of store I make a point to ask female employees for help and advice if they're around. I had a feeling this kind of thing happened but damn it, that really sucks.
before "reverse sexism!!" I also don't shy away from asking male employees at female related stores, they usually know their shit as well.

>> No.7645797

>>7645776
>I've had more stupid customers tell me
That's the thing, though, you can't know that without having also been a man who has gotten shit in a fabric/crafts store.

These things aren't really quantifiable by an inidivudal. It's Schrodinger's sexism.

>> No.7645853

>>7645797
You can, though. I've worked in fabric stores. My Joannes has almost entirely male employees except four older women (who, to be fair, treat everyone like shit)

My brother picks up my orders for me at Hobby Lobby, the worst he's ever gotten was someone asking if he needed any help. Seriously, you can't compare the blantant sexism and pretend somehow men have it worse.

Home Depot and Lowes both have a "do it herself workshop" which, by it's very definition is fucking sexist. Why does a woman need a separate workshop for building a fucking planter box? Why not just call it "planter box workshop"? Find me a Joannes that has a "sewing for men!" workshop, then we'll talk.

>> No.7645858

I actually know the stock at my local joanns better than some of the workers. Last time I was there a woman was asking where the webbing was and the person at the cut counter just had a blank look. It's with the trims, right where I said.

>> No.7646072

>>7645776
I work as an optician - not your typical "man's job" but 100% of that happened to me too.
>live in yurop with lots of arabian immigrants nearby
>muslim dudes refuse to look you in the eye while asking for anything
>grumpy old dudes enter the store "hello how can I-" "GET ME THE BOSS"
>boss is female
>they look upset like someone just slapped them and leave without buying anything
>sometimes male coworker has to pretend to be the boss so these types STFU and buy our stuff

>> No.7646178
File: 603 KB, 500x280, tumblr_mn6fuwUrXh1qzqnxxo1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7645567
I always get shit when I'm in the hardware store and it doesn't phase me? I do all of the home repairs for my parents since we're poorfags, so I've been to Home Depot and Lowes plenty of times and get treated like an autist, but that's kind of to be expected?

I just make sure I'm polite to them and usually ask where whatever I need is since it tends to make the workers feel like they were helpful (and then I don't have to waste time reading the isle signs).

I don't ask the young workers for opinions on any products though since I've found most of them don't even know what I'm talking about. But still, there's no need to be rude. You should always treat others how you want to be treated and all that! There isn't really a need to be so vicious to workers who are only doing their job.

And honestly, I look like a dumb blonde stereotype. But I just like to look cute when I'm out and about.

>> No.7646181

>>7645776
Automotive retail anon here. I feel you anon. I've had men tell me to my face they refuse my help since I'm a girl and they would like to talk to "someone who actually know what they're doing." Despite me being the one running the parts counter. It always turns out to be something stupid like "What kind of oil do I need?" or "I need breakpads." The best though is my coworkers, who are all guys, don't really stand for that shit. The customers will turn to them and ask them, and then my coworkers say "I don't know you'll have to talk to her" and just walk away. Funny enough, it's almost always middle class white dudes.

>> No.7646189

>>7645567
Actually, I go into hardware stores all the time (thin as a rail, 5'5", pasty white girl with noodles for limbs) and nobody ever treats me like I don't know what I'm doing, and the hardware store near me is run by the Amish who think women are basically mindless baby/cooking/quilting machines.

Sometimes they'll ask if I need help, if I'm looking at something trying to decide between two types of things, but if I just tell them what I'm making, they're very helpful and not condescending at all. You just have to look confident when you walk in, don't look like you're some scared kitten in the dog pound. You're just another person there to buy shit for another project.

>> No.7646191

>>7645712
It's not necessarily bad for him to have told us, it was the WAY he told us. He sounded like a fucking tumblrtard feminist bitching about how they've been treated SO poorly because they went somewhere that a woman doesn't usually go to. If he'd just said, "Yeah, they seem to think I don't know what's happening" that's fine, but he made such a dramatic scene out of it.

>> No.7646192

>>7646178
I usually do my own repairs as well and I took on the slightly larger project of redoing my bathroom floor a while ago. I got lots of weird looks and lots of, "are you sure you know what you're doing? This probably isn't a good idea if you don't." The staff was watching me shop.

They were all hilariously baffled and especially helpful when I told them my bathroom was carpeted and my landlord refused to do it himself. Anything was better than carpet in a fucking bathroom.

>> No.7646270

>>7645712
>You want a horrible fabric store experience? Try going to one while being male.
Compare to something more like
>I'm a guy, and whenever I go to a fabric store it seems like...etc
The way he worded it just sounds really condescending imo
I think some of the ladies here got sarcastic because it reads like he also thinks being treated that way in a store is a male-only thing, when in reality it happens to anyone shopping anywhere when they don't look like the target demographic.
Not to mention most women have had plenty experience in a "man store", be it to make some home repairs at a hardware store or getting their car fixed up, etc. While a smaller percentage of men will frequent things like fabric stores on their own. They just aren't used to being treated that way, and I get it. I'm never bothered by someone venting about it. It's when it gets all "Hey you know what's ACTUALLY bad?" and act like their experience is the worst one ever.
It's like if you have chronic allergies and someone gets a small case of the sniffles, yet comes up to you saying "Man, you want to feel terrible? Try having this cold" You're going to be at least a little miffed right?

>> No.7646305

>>7642092

What the fuck? Why snatch it out of your hand?

>> No.7646308

>>7645712
I wasn't mad that he shared his experience because it was relevant to the thread. Tired of all the tumblr fags showing up on this board, honestly.

>> No.7646313

>>7646072
My aunt has the same problem with her neighbor. He won't say anything to her other than "Get your husband". Nothing, not even a "Hello how are you?" Nothing.
She says she just ignores him now. I'd do the same to be honest.

I don't even know how these super conservative Muslim men manage to function in western societies. How do live when you don't allow yourself to speak to 50% of the population? I bet the sane Muslims hate their guts for continuing to give them such a bad name.

>> No.7646323

>>7646072
ah fuck where in Europe are you, anon?
I live in fucking Finland and that shit happened to me too a few times. Worst part is, those people don't even speak the language and refuse to blend in, yet they sit here in my country treating me like shit because I have tits. And if I did the same back to them they'd pull the "DAS RAYCISS" card.
I just wish they'd either show some respect or fuck off back to wherever they're from. I don't give a shit if that sounds bad, I don't have sympathy for people who refuse to respect their host culture yet come here begging for a safe haven.

>> No.7646325

>>7645776

Dude, fishmarkets are bad, too.

> "Can you get one of those nice men to fillet this for me?"
> "Do you know how to skin it?"
> "Bless your heart, I'll ask one of the men to get a lobster for me."

Oh, my favorite was this guy who asked me what a scallop was, then actually got angry when I told him. Apparently he was expecting 'stingray meat' or 'I dunno, teehee~!'

>> No.7646331

>>7646313
They do. It's the same with most immigrants, gypsies, Slavs etc. The ones who are normal always end up hating the bad ones because they give them a bad name, but the others in turn don't see them as "real" gypsies/Muslims because they refuse to follow their backwards traditions.

>> No.7646338

>>7646192
Who the fuck puts carpeting in a bathroom?

>> No.7646339

Well I'm going to Hobby Lobby anymore. SCOTUS ruled their religious freedoms can allow them to not provide certain types of contraception to their female employees. I'm just going to Michaels instead.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-supreme-court-birth-control-mandate-20140630,0,7311433.story

>> No.7646340

>>7646339
Voting with your pocketbook is the proper democratic response.

>> No.7646342

>>7646270
Exactly.
Instead of "I know how you feel", anon turned it into a pissing contest.

>> No.7646364

>>7646323
>I don't have sympathy for people who refuse to respect their host culture yet come here begging for a safe haven.

Americunt here. Muslim manager. We can't wear tank tops to work on our days off because it offends him, he constantly puts down our education system yet wants to raise his kids here and put them in public school, constantly tells me to lose weight and to slim down yet he sports bitch tits and a pot belly, basically thinks he's smarter than us because he speaks 5 languages yet he thought freckles were from eating pork and told me that Morocco's scientists say a tomato is a vegitable so it must be, among other things...
And I'm a racist for getting pissed at his behavior.

>> No.7646368

>>7646364
Why would you come to work on your day off?

>> No.7646379

>>7646368
maybe it was a pegging type of deal

>> No.7646380

>>7646379
hahaha fuck meant to reply to >>7646365
sorry

>> No.7646384

>>7646379
>>7646380
Thanks for that interesting mental image, Anon.

>> No.7646392

>>7645155
Why not use a fucking cart, you animal?

>> No.7646402

>>7645567
>go to ACE to try and get the materials to hang a wooden sign
>don't know anything, so naturally go to the older employee and ask him what he would do (even brought the sign to show him how heavy it was)
>he immediately motions me over to the metal wire and picture hangers
>was younger and didn't know any better, but initially wanted a chain to hang it with
>saw some on a roll, asked him about it/how to go about hanging it
>he looks at me like I'm fucking dumb and tells me that you don't use something like that for this and that the wire/hangers would be the best thing
>o-ok
>of course it doesn't fucking work because it's wood and the wire looks like dogshit
>rage

>> No.7646405

>>7646392
yeah, only animals put things in their coat pockets jfc

>> No.7646407

>>7645791
Protip: You are sexist as well for making a point to ask a female over a male.

>> No.7646413

>>7646313
>I bet the sane Muslims hate their guts for continuing to give them such a bad name

yeah, I've had other guys apologize profusely for the sexist bullshit of "their people". sometimes even the wives come back to me and apologize for their husband' behaviour earlier on.

>>7646323
Germany, near the French border. The worst of both worlds!
I swear if I was a little dumber, retail work would've already made me racist as hell. Without my cartoonish ethnically diverse circle of friends I would go crazy

>> No.7646414

>>7646405
Only an idiot wouldn't think to get a cart and wouldn't notice shit in their pockets.

>> No.7646417

>>7646339
My feminazi coworker loves Hobby Lobby, I wonder how she'll react.

>> No.7646418

>>7646368
I go to work on my days off. Cheap food. Cheap whatever the place sells.

>> No.7646439

>>7646339
I can't stand their creepy religiousness, their prices are high, and they close earlier than the other craft stores (they aren't even open on Sundays, but both Joann's and Michaels are open until 7).

>> No.7646452

It's actually funny because this just happened last night, my sister and I went out to an early dinner and I wanted to pick up some prop stuff on the way back.

>walk into Home Depot, looking for insulation foam
>slightly lost because it wasn't the store we usually went to
>see young employee and older employee stocking shelves
>"hi, do you know where I can find some insulation foam boards?"
>"oh you lost your purse?"
>sister starts laughing her ass off
What the fuck? I can KIND OF see how that can be misheard but what the hell.

>> No.7646485

>>7646339
i have been pissed off about this all day, i kind of want to go into my local HL and start throwing things, even though i know that's not the right reaction.
>>7646340
it's the only way to get their fucking attention.

>> No.7646493

>>7646439
I used to go in there for resin shit. Never again. Also their hymn music creeps me right the hell out.

>> No.7646556

I'm >>7646072 and this just happened

>ren fair has a booth with a guy selling different sorts of nuts
>you can get a huge sack of nuts for free if you can answer his questions and/or riddles
>my question is "what's a quarter of a (metric) pound"
>Okay this is easy anon, hell yeah free stuff: "125 grams"
>"Nope that's wrong"
>Everybody else near the booth tells him I'm right
>"No, it's wrong, now go away"
>Another girl gets her phone with calculator and Google search out and proves it to him
>He starts cursing and screaming
>"I thought it's 125 myself but it can't be right, you're the first person to say 125 and you're a woman"
>I want to leave but the booth owner is really causing a scene, starts laughing like crazy and tries to get random passing people to agree with him
>Claims I'll go fat if I eat all the nuts and crap like that
>"IT CAN'T BE RIGHT, IT CAN'T BE 125, I THOUGHT WRONG, WRONG ANSWER HAHAHAHA"
>One guy in line gets REALLY mad on my behalf and starts threatening the guy until I get my free stuff
>tfw some people's internalized sexism and idiocy is so great, they'd rather doubt their own sanity than believe that someone with tits knows that 1/4 of 500 = 125
>Give nuts to mad guy behind me and leave, completely weirded out

Sage for less than zero contribution

>> No.7646565

>>7646452
>"hurrdurr it was all a joke, girl can't take any jokes, c'mon lighten up, it's called humor lololololololol"

>> No.7646668

>>7646413
worst part is the libtard hippies (and I say that as a liberal) going all "respect their culture and beliefs!" and bending over backwards to let them shit all over women because "that's how they were raised".

I work with this one Ethiopian chick who started lecturing one of my other coworkers about women and how "a woman is supposed to be a man's servant, she doesn't need education" and apparently only works because the government forced her to. Yeah nah shut up.

>> No.7646685

I always use the excuse "I'm making costumes for a play" since I do theater and pull shit out of my ass for what shows/characters it could be for. Stuff like that usually bores them though so they stop asking questions pretty quickly, which is nice.

One of my friends was once shopping for either fabric or craft materials for cosplay and accidentally mentioned the name of a convention too loud to her boyfriend and ended up getting heard and followed around by a little Tumblr weeb the rest of the day.

>> No.7646692

>>7646339
Makes me glad I have better options nearby. I have a Michaels, JoAnns, and pretty awesome fabric shop near me, so I don't even need to bother going to Hobby Lobby. Sucks for anybody else that doesn't have that option.

Also friend pointed out how hypocritical it is that they get most of their shit from China anyway.

>> No.7646700

>>7646407
I'll stop being "sexist" when stories like in this thread stop happening all the time.

>> No.7646702

>>7646700
Normally I don't care if people have a preference of male or female workers in a variety of settings (I always prefer male doctors over female ones myself), but it's obvious you're a sexist cunt by the use of the phrase "reverse sexism."

>> No.7646713

>>7646702
Sigh. I even said I go to male employees in fabric stores. My point is that I'm trying to help out people who probably have a difficult time in their line of work, and work on breaking stereotypes. What exactly do you suggest I do? Only go to male employees at game stores and female ones at fabric stores so I can be Super Not Sexist, even though none of them are going to know that and just assume I'm another sexist fuck and feel bad? Close my eyes and wander around the store until I bump into a random employee and ask that one for help? Ask them to draw straws? Jesus.

>> No.7646732

>>7646414
not the button anon, but my local fabric store doesn't actually have carts...or baskets for that matter. Its not too big but still full of fabric so if I'm getting a lot of stuff I usually have to go around pick it all up and struggle, or do it in trips and drop the stuff off at the counter while i do it

>> No.7646745

>>7646339
Am I the only one who doesn't get why this is a big deal? I've never gotten contraception from any place I've ever worked.

>> No.7646748

>>7646745
Some people need it for legitimate health reasons, (Irregular periods, PCOS, hormonal migraines etc) not contraception reasons.

>> No.7646752

>>7646748
I thought it was mostly to not provide plan b, not birth control pills?

>> No.7646756

>>7646556
That's it for this episode of "Shit That Never Happened," tune in next week for our special on rape culture.

>> No.7646759

>>7646713
Sigh. And I even said that I don't care if people prefer going to males or females for help. I am just saying that yeah...your use of the phrase "reverse sexism" is utter bullshit and hints at that there is a good possibility that at times you're a sexist shit.

>> No.7646787

>>7646756
>I don't believe it because stuff like that never happens to me
should've kept the nuts and taken a picture for you, angry anon. But I understand, I understand.

>> No.7646789

>>7646756
"look at me using buzzwords"
You forgot tumblr btw

>> No.7646807

>>7646313
I live in a flat with a ton of Muslim immigrants and yesterday I overheard a man calling me whore, presumably because I smiled at and held the door open for his young son. When he was out of earshot his wife came over to apologize on his behalf.
Integrated enough to use our language but not enough to... not go around calling strangers whores. Okay. At least his kids have a nice mother who they will hopefully take after.

>> No.7646815

How do you guys talk to muslims in your apartment complex? I just moved to one and there are some down the hall, the men seem decently nice and Americanized but the women are in full, floor-length burqas. I find it really hard to talk to them and don't know how to act because let's face it, they're basically wearing a mask around and it's hard to talk to anyone with 80% of their face covered.
They are always hanging out in the common areas so it doesn't see to be one of those "wimmin stay inside" things. Idgi. I fucking hate religion anyway, but I want to be respectful to others.

>> No.7646827

so this thread went from 'awkward experiences in fabric stores' to muslims
ok...

>> No.7646851

>>7646752
plan b is available over the counter. no prescription needed.

polite sage for no contribution

>> No.7646871

>>7646418
This. My work has fucking awesome food. And it's cheap. But fuck this shit, it's 90+ out, I have no AC in my car, I'm wearing as little as legally possible.

>> No.7646880

>>7646827
you could almost say it started as a discussion about muslins

>> No.7646923

>>7642075
I'm always as simple as possible... making "pants" and what-not. If it's actual fabric that can be used for curtains, I go with curtains.

I actually have a friend who has the social skills of someone autistic and she would talk about the anime her costume was from as if the person had heard of it... I died of embarassment a little each time.

>> No.7646976

>>7646815
You talk to them or you don't just don't be rude??? How is it so hard just because they have different clothes, sounds like you're the one who should stay inside.

>> No.7646986

>>7646880
kek

>> No.7647009

>>7646923
same, the only time i really say what i'm making is if it's something mainstream(i.e. weeping angel) or if the person has fandom buttons/something on them. i've never gotten a blank stare or rudeness and the one time my mom was with me and started explaining what everything was even though i told her not to the girl working was also going to the con, so i guess it all worked out.

>> No.7647019
File: 23 KB, 100x114, hameru no.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7647009
>the one time my mom was with me and started explaining what everything was
Fucking christ do I know that feel.

>go to fabric store with mom because no car of my own
>getting things for some cosplays
>go to cutting counter
>inevitable "So what are you making?" question
>reply "Oh, just a dress and a coat and some things. It's for several projects."
>get embarrassed talking about cosplay, even if this is normal
>mom butts in with "IT'S FOR THE ANUHMAY THINGS. SHE'S GOING TO AN ANUHMAY CONVENTION. YOU KNOW, THOSE CHINESE/JAPANESE CARTOONS."

>> No.7647065

>>7647019
Haha, it's sort of nice that my mom has continued pretending that I'd get out of this phase for 13 years now. It's even easier since I've lived in my own home for years now. Every once in a while I'll show her a photo of me in a finished costume and she's impressed that I made it all.

>> No.7647066
File: 111 KB, 800x600, tumblr_mejluqubXh1r2vnuyo1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7647019

Ugh gosh when relatives do that shit when they KNOW it's embarassing.
I dyed my hair black for Mikasa cosplay (I have nice full hair of the same style as her and didn't let it get stringy or greasy before wigfags call me out) and I went over to my great uncle's place with my jerk grandma:
>typical old people "haven't seen you in a while" "she looks like her dad huh" when suddenly
>"Yeah see she dyed her hair. Guess what for? Anon tell him why you dyed it."
>"It was...for a convention in winter...like a really nerdy thing for people who like animation and video games."
>"No tell him."
>"...like, anime...Japanese animation...?"
>"...Jyapaneez."
>he just kinda sits in silence like usual

She is still so racist against Germans, Japanese, Koreans, basically everyone who was in a war when she was a kid. But she's totally accepting of gay people. So thanks CNN and her nature to go against the views of everyone else her age in this southern Ohio town, I guess.

>also same grandma who made me cry in Border's saying "when are you gonna outgrow this stuff" following me around in the manga section long ago

>> No.7647076
File: 25 KB, 366x459, 1332538786528.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7647009
Oh god i know the feeling.
>Be 14
>Going to first anime convention
>Grandma agrees to help me sew a lolita skirt for babby's first lolita outfit
>At the cutting counter she starts telling the girl cutting the fabric about the convention
>Oh god why
>Cutting counter girl is also going apparently
>For some reason my grandma now thinks everyone vaguely close to my age (like under the age of 25) is going
>Go back to her apartment to sew
>College-aged computer repair guy comes in to look at her laptop
>"HEY DO YOU GO TO ANEEMAY CONFERENCES TOO?"
>mfw

>> No.7647082

Saging for positive story cause this thread seems to be mainly focused on negative experiences

>have serve anxiety and depression
>wake up feeling terrible and like it's the end of the world
>fuck, today's the last day of a huge sale at JoAnn's
>convince myself to stop being a little bitch and just get the fuck up to get a good deal on a bunch of shit that I need
>go to store and start to regret getting out of bed that day
>hurry to the cutting counter while mentally hating myself for getting myself into this situation
>lady at the counter sees my distress and goes into guardian angel mode
>starts cutting fabric and "accidentally" gives me an extra few inches to each of the pieces I'm buying
>"Oops! Sorry, my hand keeps slipping. My apologies, hun!"
>are you a fucking angel
>go to check out and the sale saved me $20 dollars from my purchase
>realize that I was being dramatic about the whole situation
>end up taking so more meds and feel a lot better for the rest of the day

Sorry for seeming like a little bitch in my story /cgl/. If there are any other anons with depression or anxiety then you may be able to relate to me with this story.

>> No.7647087

>>7647082
Some more meds*
Oops oops oops. I'm posting this from my phone so there is a few messed up parts of the story

>> No.7647102

>>7646339
Hang on, I'm confused. Why does an employer get a say in their staff's medication etc? I know you guys have to buy health insurance etc and that sometimes employers pay for it, but surely that kind of stuff is up to the doctor and patient?

>> No.7647131

>>7647102
because hobby lobby is christian and women taking control of their sexuality or even needing medication for anything that they believe can cause an abortion (which is not at all what birth control does) is unchristian and kills precious babies for jesus because women are sluts.

same company's retirement plans invest in pharmaceutical companies that produce abortion-inducing chemicals.

>> No.7647169

>>7646752
Its any form of birth control.

My insurance is actually still violating the obamacare laws by making me pay a copay on my BC, but I don't even really know what to do about that. It's meant to be copay free. I asked which one (because it only has to be one brand of each form, e.g. one type of pill, one type of shot, etc.) and they told me there is none. But the law says there has to be one.

>> No.7647382
File: 45 KB, 711x684, 1401301026588.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7646787
>story is absolutely ridiculous, no one with any grasp of reality wouldn't believe it for a second
>call bullshit
>"You just don't believe it because you're a guy"
Seriously. That didn't happen. You made it the fuck up. Here's a piece of advice, next time you spin some retarded bullshit to further your victim complex/Munchausen by Internet, try being at least slightly subtle, like so:

>ren fair has a booth with a guy selling different sorts of nuts
>you can get a huge sack of nuts for free if you can answer his questions and/or riddles
>my question is "what's a quarter of a (metric) pound"
>Okay this is easy anon, hell yeah free stuff: "125 grams"
>Guy had a huge sneer on his face until I answer
>His face suddenly drops, he starts stammering because a woman was able to answer his question
>Guy scoffs and tosses the nuts at me
>"You got it wrong, but I'll give it to you anyway, honey"

See, people would believe that. Nobody's buying the other one.

>> No.7647423

>>7647382
meh, i mean, in the original story no one even white-knighted and asked for her number, and there wasn't even a standing ovation, nor was einstein involved, so it -could- be true...

>> No.7647430
File: 57 KB, 330x261, internet_white_knight_colored_4350.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7647423
>One guy in line gets REALLY mad on my behalf and starts threatening the guy until I get my free stuff
She even rewarded him with the nuts.

>> No.7647433

>>7647382
Why on earth would somebody make up a fucking story about nuts at a ren faire, that doesn't even make sense. If you're going to make up a stereotypical "I was oppressed!" story it makes way more sense to go with a game store or hardware or some scenario that makes sense.
Also, a made up story wouldn't have the random mad guy, it would either have OP delivering some zinger or at least feature some of the lines from mad guy. Not just "guy gets mad"
Free nuts at a ren faire is just so bizarre I believe it.
Plus, your story comes off waaaaaay more fake and try-hardy than OP's. I think it's time to brush up on your internet bullshit detector.

>> No.7647447

>>7647430
yes, but did she give him his number and are they now engaged and plan to have little packets of nuts as the wedding favor? I NEED TO HAVE FOLLOW-THROUGH.

>> No.7647458

>>7645317
I'm actually 21, and being in a sorority has given me decent social skills, but when it comes to cosplay, I just freeze up for no reason. I know it shouldn't be that hard but it is.

>> No.7647535

>>7645853
Is it bad that I really want that now?
Like, I can see the flier for it and everything.
>Heavily muscled shirtless dude holding a pair of fiskers with both hands, looking confused, surrounded be three equally confused men holding a crochet hook, a bobbin, and an embroidery hoop
>"Men, have you ever looked like this? I have the class for you."

I took an into to lingerie design class one time. The one straight guy in the class got all the poon he wanted, let me tell you.

>> No.7647718

>>7647082
That's really cute! How sweet of that woman. Those extra inches can really be helpful. I hate it when I screw up and can't arrange my pattern pieces in a way that fits on what I got.
I'm glad that your medication is working for you. It's good that you have cosplay, I know that my particular hobbies really help with my anxiety and depression since I can feel good about the result.
I hope you run into that woman again. Good luck out there!

>> No.7647742

>>7647458
Hahahahaha sorority. I quit that shit last year. But if recruitment doesn't give you social skills, nothing will. Some rushees were worse than a brick wall.

>Now my letters are CGL

>> No.7647777

>>7647742
>chi gamma lambda
But yeah, I can carry a normal conversation otherwise.

>> No.7648340

>>7647131
Well, yeah, I figured it was a religious thing. I just don't understand why it's their decision in the first place? That's like a science teacher refusing to teach evolution because they're Christian.

Also, since when were corporations tied to religions? That's really weird. Do they really play hyms and shit in their shops?

>> No.7648352

>>7648340

They don't work on Sundays and they love shoving in peoples' faces that it's because it's the ~Lord's day~.

Their stance on OCP is bad enough, but that in itself is really the skeeve factor for me. I couldn't care less what days shops open, but it seems a bit unchristian-like to trumpet the reason why.

I know it's highly personal and opinionated though, so your mileage may vary on it. But yes, they like to tie the corporation to christianity.

>> No.7648360

>>7648352
Wow. That's so strange. I'm not sure if that's even legal here. Do they discriminate against non-Christian staff? Like, you can wear a crucifix, but not a skull cap or a burka? I still can't believe they're allowed to make medical decisions like that, though. Man, I love the NHS.Even if they are a bit overworked and badly managed, at least I can get my damn coil.

>> No.7648364

I just returned from a local fabric store

>lady on the cutting counter trying to figure how much fabric she needs
>keeps questioning the the employee "are you sure it'll be enough? is it too much?"
>proceeds to take the wooden ruler and place her against her leg and keeps questioning herself
>I'm right behind her, waiting. She ignores my presence and keeps staring at the ruler and rubbing her chin
>employee ask if she'd like to have some more time to think while she helps other customers
>"I don't have anything else to think, it's decided"
>proceeds to stare longingly at the fabric, twist it around and rub her chin some more

Seriously. I'm very complicated when it comes to picking out fabrics and figuring how much exactly will I need (I'm always scared of fucking up) but I just take all the time I need to decide BEFORE going to the counter to cut the fabric. Is it that hard.

>> No.7648372

>>7647019
>>7647076
My relatives STILL do this even though I completely lost interest in animus and mangoes 6+ years ago. When they started asking about my (lolita) clothes I was damn sure not to tell them the style originated in Japan, much less the name. I dread the day they find out the name.

>>7648340
>a science teacher refusing to teach evolution because they're Christian
This literally happened at my school, actually. MURRKA!!

Usually there's nothing noticeably religious about the shop/restaurant/what have you itself but employees can be discriminated against (since religious freedom >> human rights when money is concerned) and part of the profit is often donated to political causes, like those opposing gay marriage legislation. Part of me wishes the religious corporations were actually more upfront about their religious nature. It really sucks to find out that the restaurant you've been getting delicious sammiches from is actively working to ensure your brother can't marry the man he loves. Hymms in the store would be a good indicator that I need to turn 360 degrees and moonwalk away.

It's not a US-only thing, though. I've heard about similar stuff happening in the UK and apparently Russia is even worse.

>> No.7648379

>>7648360

I am impressed with the NHS a lot even as a foreigner.

Companies in the US actually have quite a bit of leeway, thanks to pro-business rulings by the Supreme Court. I'm not sure at all about religious markings, but I'd imagine it would vary from store to store and manager to manager - I can't imagine that it would be enforced nationally though. As for medical decisions, the very fact you can get excluded from insurance for diseases with great morbidity should tell you enough about how broken our system is.

>> No.7648405

>>7648372
Really? Teachers here don't get to do that. You teach what's on the curriculum, regardless of what you think about it. I think it's a bit different in faith schools (my school was secular) in terms of what they're allowed to teach on top of that, but they're not allowed to force religion on people or anything like that. There's been a few problems up North recently with schools being taken over by Islamic fundamentalists, but I think it's getting sorted out.

I can't say I've heard of anything similar happening here, but I'm sure it probably does. Some people got very upset recently because Subway announced that they were going halal, but it's a franchise so all the places that it affected were already halal anyway so whatever. This is coming from a country that has recognised Scientology and Jedi as actual religions, though, so there's that.

>>7648379
I just can't understand the concept of paying for healthcare. We pay for prescriptions, but only if they're temporary; if it's a lifelong condition like diabetes or something the medication will always be free. Some bigwig recently suggested that people should pay £10 to visit their GP and there was outrage, people saying it was the end of democracy, a plot by the rich to kill all the poor people etc. There is some stuff you have to pay for, though. Adults have to pay for dentistry and optician's visits and such, I think.

>> No.7648411
File: 483 KB, 250x190, tumblr_inline_mi8rxlldjX1qz4rgp.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>local fabric store
>decent stock
>grumpy manager but w/e
>want to check stock
>angelfire 1998 type website
>my fucking eyes

http://www.fabricland.co.uk/

>> No.7648414

>>7648411
They literally have the worst website ever. It's not even worth visiting tbh. It looks like they made it picso with graphics from blingee.

>> No.7648417

>>7648405
>Islamic fundamentalists
Can I just point out how batshit insane people in the US would go if Islam had the same "rights" as Christianity, IE: Doctors, teachers, entire corporations fucking people over because of their religion

But side not about teachers: I think it depends on the region, since I wouldn't be surprised at all if the bible belt had teachers refusing to teach Christianity, but my boyfriend's mom is a science teacher in the north at a Christian High School, and basically she teaching evolution, but every kid in the class has the right to stand up at some point and leave/talk shit about evolution, and apparently it happens a lot.

>> No.7648421

>>7648411
>http://www.fabricland.co.uk/
Hahah, I remember we looked at this in my web design class because it's a perfect example of everything not to do when making a website.

>> No.7648427

>>7647718
Thank you anon! I hope I run into her again too, she was a sweetheart and I really want to thank her for making my day a lot better! Cosplay has really helped with my anxiety and depression by giving me something to look forward too instead of feeling like my life is going by and that I'm doing nothing with my life. But thanks again anon! You're a sweetie! <3

>> No.7648430

>>7648417
> Can I just point out how batshit insane people in the US would go if Islam had the same "rights" as Christianity
To be fair, there's quite a lot of people here who are pretty pissed off about it, haha. See 'Britain First' (and parody page 'Britain Furst').

> every kid in the class has the right to stand up at some point and leave/talk shit about evolution, and apparently it happens a lot.
I would assume they have that right here, too (freedom of speech/religion and all that), but you ain't getting your Biology GCSE (or BTEC) if you do. Also you'd probably get laughed at/bullied. Young Christians that are actually Christian and don't just have it on their forms 'cause their parents put it down are a pretty small minority where I live.

>> No.7648444

>>7648430
I;m just tired of the adamant hypocrisy in the United States in regards to religion.

I remember in Middle School our biology class had a waiver thing about it, saying your parents could take you out of the class if they wanted to, instead of having the option to just make a conflict in the classroom. They problem with the bf's mom is that sometimes kids will act like they're a martyr and insult her, as if she's personally responsible for their dilemma.

I really hate kids who insult and hate their teachers for teaching them

>> No.7648462

>>7648430
>>7648444
Yurop here, I went to a Catholic school (named after a saint and everything) and nobody ever made a fuss about being taught about evolution. I know a whole bunch of Christian scientists who support evolution. Not all Christians are creationists, thank goodness.

Wait, where am I
>fabric thread
Right. Um. Don't mix wool and linen, guys! It makes God sad.

>> No.7648466

>>7642138
>>7642170
If you guys happen to know, what is the reason/purpose of asking customers what they're sewing while getting their fabric cut?

My theories: To scope out the demographics of your customers, to make customers feel more welcomed, to see what their fabric is mostly purchased for etc.

>> No.7648468

>>7648444
> I really hate kids who insult and hate their teachers for teaching them
Ugh, yeah. We used to have some proper shits who would act up at school, and the teachers aren't allowed to do anything because the kids all "know muh rightz!!1!one!" and will threaten you with an assault charge (which would probably be upheld tbh). Although in cases like that it's the parents fault pretty much 100% of the time. Parent does shit at school/has bad home life, has kid at 14, drops out, teaches kid that education isn't important, kid does shit at school, has kid at 14, and so on and so forth. I knew kids whose families didn't own a single book. "Can I do my reading time on my iPad, Sir?"

>>7648462
Oh, no, I'm not saying that. I've never actually met a Creationist, even though I have a couple of Christian friends. But yes, back on topic.

> Does anyone else shop in Goldhawk Road?

>> No.7648610

>>7648372
>religious companies

I work for one, and I was really shocked, we just got an update to our dress code, and we're now allowed earrings, fake nails and polish, one facial piercing so long as it's a stud, and visible tattoos so long as they're not offensive.

Just waiting for them to allow me to dye my hair purple.

>> No.7648619

On the subject of kids misbehaving, send their ass to the office if they are crippling the learning enviornment. From there, if they cannot decide to come back to the classroom and act like they have some sense, give them their work and send their asses to the library.
You can't make them do anything, but what you can do is remove them if they are deterring other students.

But on the subject of OP, keep answers vague or lie. You don't have to say its for a costume.
"What's it for?"
"A table cover/jacket/plush/blanket"

>> No.7648660

>>7648466
Sometimes it's genuine curiosity. It's also for conversational purpose or to make the customer feel welcomed. But at our customer service training, they told us it's so we can suggest more things for them to buy ("oh you're making a quilt? Don't forget we also sell stabilizer, binding, yadda yadda, and we currently have a sale on rotary blades")

>> No.7648764

>>7643282
Perfect reply.

>>7645776
>>7646181
>>7646313
>>7646339
>>7646556

Brutal. I always need reminders like this. Just because the guys I hang around with don't look down on women like that, I tend to forget about how upset I should be about these kinds of every day injustices. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

>>7646880
lulz'd'kekchuckle'd

>> No.7648780
File: 24 KB, 400x284, muslin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7648764
It's good to know these kind of stories have a positive effect on someone on 4chan. Also thanks for laughing at my stupid muslin joke.

>> No.7648790

It's much more difficult for women to live with stigma than it is for me to simply acknowledge its existence. What's worse is that I forget how serious it is in the first place. Juggling multiple jobs and being soul-drained almost all the time doesn't help much, either.../rant before it gets any more off-topic. saged anyway.

>>7648780
>image
Get a brain, moran!

>> No.7648809

>>7648468
>Goldhawk Road
I've wanted to go there for so long and I don't even sew sob.

>> No.7648819

>>7648809
We pretty much do all our shopping for uni there, it's awesome! I'm moving to right side of London next year (currently live in East London, 1hr+ train journey away), I'm so excited! I'm going to buy all the reasonably priced fabric!

>> No.7648823

>>7646815
Just be polite, it's not that hard for them to talk through a piece of fabric

>> No.7648832

>>7648610
What company is this?

>> No.7648849

>>7646815
> there's some down the hall
> nice and Americanized
Anon, have you... never met a Muslim before? It's exactly the same as talking to anybody else. They're just people. Why do people treat them so differently from everyone else?

> on the train home
> bunch of business people get on at the airport at the same time as a local school trip
> there's a woman in a burka with the kids
> business people are like "omg she's wearing one of those robe things! people who wear those shouldn't be teachers; how do they give kids 'the look'?"
> these people are seriously saying that 'the look' is the most important teaching method
> "maybe she's a parent?"
> "but none of the kids are wearing that so she can't be!"
> they are talking really loudly, woman in burka can clearly hear them
> tfw never felt so much secondhand embarrassment in my life

>> No.7648854

>>7643287
I worked for Joann's for five years, and we always had batiste in stock. What are you trippin on?

>> No.7648858

>>7648849
Well, to be fair there's the impression that they hate Americans. And that muslim women aren't really supposed to leave the house or be exposed to "Western" ideas.
I really don't know any Muslims who are devout to that extent, the only ones I've ever met were wearing hijabs at most.

>> No.7648865

>>7648849
Well honestly, I get supporting wearing a hijab or something, but a burqa? I'm glad they banned them here. It's so demeaning to women. I don't see how anyone can defend that practice, there's a limit to everything, even modesty.

That being said, the woman shouldn't be bullied for it or anything.

>> No.7648874

>>7648865
France?
How did that go anyway? It would be really sad if they just stayed inside all the time because they couldn't wear burqas anymore.

>> No.7648878

>>7648865
I don't see how it's demeaning if they choose it. If it's forced upon them then yeah, it's demeaning, but so is a bikini or... anything really. Where do you live anon?

>>7648858
Eh, I suppose we don't get any of the "Muslims all hate Americans!" stuff here. The only people who think Muslims are like that are people who live in areas where there aren't any Muslims, as is the way I suppose.

>> No.7648880

>>7648878
burqas and hijab are different. the woman chooses to wear the hijab to display her religious devotion where as the burqa is chosen by her husband for her to wear or not, she has no choice in that matter.

>> No.7648905

>>7648880
Hmmm. Seems like you're right. Learnt something new today.

Regardless, the point I was making that just because someone wears a burka (for whatever reason) doesn't mean they can't pursue a career/work with children/be treated like a normal human being (because if they can't, then surely oppression wins?). But I'm sure you agree with me on that one anyway.

>> No.7648916

>>7648905
Of course that's true. I think the real thing is that many non muslims see it as the women giving into oppression and letting her husband rule her life, something that many countries have been trying to(or successfully have) overturn for decades, and the idea that the sentiment of being a man's property still exists and is attempting to integrate itself into our culture is really jarring to people and it makes sense as to why.

>> No.7648922

>>7648819
Yeah I'm not very far from it either, I know if all goes well and I get a sewing machine soonish then it'll be the first place I go to.

>> No.7648923

>>7647423
>tfw telling the truth on 4chan for once and nobody believes it

I, uh, met Traci Hines and she was a bitch!

>> No.7648937 [DELETED] 

>>7647382
It's okay anon. I just thought it was a funny story (that actually happened yesterday, wow) to share. No reason to get mad. I even left out some of the more unbelievable stuff that happened afterwards.

I don't really have the time nor the will to make up weird imgur/rebbit-ish bullshit to gain fake internet fame. And trust me, if I did, it wouldn't be about ren fairs and winning food

>> No.7648938

>>7648916
Yeah, I get that. I just found the way those people on the train were carrying on to be really obnoxious. Then again, I'm British, and we just don't do things like that here.

>>7648922
You will love it, anon! There's about 16 shops or something. I like Classic Textiles; they do good deals on suiting remnants. Don't go to Toni Textiles though; the staff are really rude to everyone. Also, don't buy the silk velvet in A - Z, there's another shop down the road that does it £5/m cheaper.

>> No.7648953

>>7647082
If you can't even handle going to a JoAnn's, how the fuck do you handle conventions?

>> No.7648954

>>7647382
It's okay anon. I just thought it was a funny story (that actually happened yesterday, wow) to share. No reason to get mad. I even left out some of the more unbelievable stuff that I didn't know how to describe (I'm German)

I don't really have the time nor the will to make up weird imgur/rebbit-ish bullshit to gain fake internet fame. And trust me, if I did, it wouldn't be about ren fairs and winning food

>> No.7648955

>>7648874
Seems to be going okay, they have different ways of showing modesty but their husbands are as butthurt as always. At least where I live.

>> No.7648965

>>7648954
I just don't believe you because it seems too stupid and I don't want to believe people are so fucking stupid.

The riddle is a super simple math question that anyone with a brain and a phone can answer, not only that but you live in a country that uses metric so why the fuck would that be a riddle. And the guy's reaction was too stupid. It's a basic math question not anything even slightly difficult and it really just seems too stupid for me to fathom.

>> No.7649186

>>7642212
>>7643282
>>7643651
>magnificence

>> No.7649272

>>7648411
>http://www.fabricland.co.uk/
haha holy shit. all it's missing is a midi file, visitor counter, and "sign our guestbook"!

>> No.7649279
File: 22 KB, 500x481, madness.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7648965
you'd be surprised, anon

>> No.7649281

>>7648854
see, i knew i wasn't crazy!

>> No.7649293
File: 3 KB, 81x144, Bouquet.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7649272
nah I think they're good

>> No.7649532

>>7646880
CARLOS

>> No.7649535

>>7648832
Arby's.

There are like 3 openly gay employees at my store and the higher-ups are always making offhanded comments about how sinful being gay is. It's awful, but I feel like we're taking a step in the right direction here.

>> No.7649559

>>7648965
It's at a ren fair and you expect people to be normal?

>> No.7649585

>>7649293
the fuck is that

it looks like... an idea for frylock's girlfriend.

>> No.7649594

>>7642075
If it makes you feel any better, Sailor Moon is like the most normalfag shit ever.

>> No.7649989
File: 518 KB, 667x1000, black-man-pointing-happy-face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7644900
Man this Op everybody.

>> No.7650043

>>7649594
Well, she knew Sailor Moon. It was Ryuko that got me.

>> No.7650134

>>7648854
i guess i've always been close to shitty joanns then (not the superstore ones). the one closest to me now has the worst selection of fabric i've ever seen. and no batiste.

>> No.7650321
File: 623 KB, 2521x2305, 25-corsica-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7648849
Different anon (>>7646807 is me) but for me it's more like... As a woman I get dirty looks or even insults for smiling at a male child and my boyfriend gets the evil eye for being friendly to the women. The women, kids and some of the younger men are pleasant enough and relatively easy to talk to when you get them alone but once one of the older men shows up, everything gets very uncomfortable. We often hear the man who lives above us screaming at his wife and my boyfriend sometimes worries he caused it by chatting to her in the elevator up.

We're still going to be nice to them. I'm also not going to change the way I dress or act because some of the more conservative men think I look like a prostitute, because that's their problem, not mine. But we don't want to start conflicts, you know? It sometimes feels like we have to walk on eggshells in our own flat just to keep from offending people.

>> No.7651771

>>7649989
>replying to yourself to make you feel better about your point after you already got told you were wrong

Sure smells like summer in here.

>> No.7652568
File: 28 KB, 720x480, flcl_canti0011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7642075
This!
I went to Home Depot today to pick up a couple sheets of MDF to make Canti's helmet from FLCL.
> "Building a skate ramp??"
> "Oh no... Just an art project."
> "Oh really?! Whatcha making?"
> "Uhh.. a helmet
> Receive the most confused look I've ever been given in a hardware store
> "Uhh y'know... It's just for decoration"
> "Ohh.. That's nice.."

>> No.7652864

>>7648965
>this amount of upset over a story
Strange shit happens. Nutsman sounds like an autist.
>let me ask this woman a math question
>thinks wrong answer
>wait no shes wrong
>wait, shes right
>Cant turn back now
When I was driving in my car, I looked over to the car next to me. There was an asian dude, wearing a wig halfway on his head and giving me duckface. Weird shit happens anon,