[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 20 KB, 240x240, survival-guide.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7560300 No.7560300 [Reply] [Original]

Post your Convention/Hotel survival tips(besides "SHOWER!!!!!1!1!"), tricks and emergency kits.

>Once you're settled into your room, buy a pack of bottled water for the weekend, and bring a bottle with you to the con each day
>Day 0 pre-reg can be exciting, but if you want to avoid long ass lines, go early morning day 1
>test your cosplay shoes by wearing them for a full day, long before the con. Find out if you need pads or where they might cause blisters and stuff. Also get a pair of folding ballet flats/flip flops.
>If your going to drink, don't forget a corkscrew/bottle cap opener
>Check out of your room and check in your bags as early as possible. Otherwise, good luck even getting into the elevator

>> No.7560348

>Pack your suitcase before you go out to party on Saturday night. Lets you sleep in more the next morning and panic less as your trying to get out the door.
>If your sensitive to sounds while your trying to sleep bring earplugs to prevent waking up from others snoring.
>Bring your own towel so you dont have to worry about others using up all the hotel ones.

>> No.7560421

Do bring instant cup noodles. There's a low chance your room will have a refrigerator (that you'll even be allowed to use), but it will most likely have a coffee maker you can use for hot water. Don't forget some disposable utensils too

>> No.7560438

For outdoor cons like Anime North, BRING SUNSCREEN!

>> No.7560491

As weird as it can be, unpack your shit into the closets and drawers, keeping your costumes together. When you're done wearing them, put them in your suitcase and you won't worry about losing them.

If you're room stuffing, you suck, but at least make it comfortable. Work out a schedule and make sure everyone adheres to it. If Erin doesn't want to sleep on the floor and tries to steal the bed, she can sleep in the fucking hallway.

Get all hotel money before even letting them step foot in the room. It's easier to do it then instead of trying to harp them all weekend only to find out they "Accidentally" spent it.

Pack easy to eat thing like apples, granola bars, bananas. Make sure to eat one when you wake up and bring them along during the day. If you can sway a good lunch, that's your power meal. Eat a good lunch and you can pretty much function the rest of the day on water and granola bars.

>> No.7560494

Ask the front desk for more towels as soon as you check in. Most people forget and get gyped because the hotel DOES, in fact, have a limited quantity.

Tip your housekeepers well daily if you use the service. They usually have a different cleaner each day so tipping big on Sunday is only good if you wait the whole weekend for service.

If you can catch a housekeeper and are polite, they are usually more than happy to provide you extra towels in the morning and take your dirty laundry. Slip them a dollar, word'll get around for you as opposed to the other cheap ass teenagers.

If you are room stuffing, the hotel is already out of blankets. Trust me. Bring a sleeping bag and an extra pillow, just in case. Even if you get the bed, you can give a floor person one of the bed pillows with no discomfort to yourself.

>> No.7560498

I used to work for a hotel, can you tell?

The front desk is usually instructed to give you a limited number of keys - this is not to screw you but because the rooms can only make so many keys before they all shut off. Usually this is around four. Pick responsible people because the desk won't just hand them out willy nilly and making a new key may shut off all the other ones.

Strip the bedding at the end of the weekend. Just pile it up on the floor, the housekeepers will love you and forgive room stuffing and shit tons of trash.

Speaking of trash - consolidate it. Lots of empty solo cups, soda cans, liquor bottles? Put them all on one table so the housekeeper can just sweep it all into a trash bag. Dirty towels, pile em up. The housekeepers are going to have to remake the beds, wipe down all surfaces, and clean the bathroom - and you are one of probably 30 other rooms they have to clean that day. Do them a solid and make it a bit easier.

>> No.7560502

Ask for a low floor at the hotel (easier when you check in on Thursday) Your view may be compromise, but it's going to be a hell of a lot easier to get up and down during busy periods. Comfortable shoes mean you could probably just climb the stairs instead of waiting 20 minutes for the elevators to clear.

Know who you're rooming with. Know if they're going to invite people back with no notice or fuck in the beds. Don't room with irresponsible people because room drama WILL ruin your convention.

I, personally, can't sleep without white noise. I bring a box fan with me to conventions and stash it next to my sleeping space. It drowns out party noises, hallway noise, and strange city noise. It makes it sooo much easier to get a good night's sleep - downside, once you get used to it, you are fucked to sleep without one. You have been warned.

Drink at least 8 bottles of water a day. This is recommend for even non active people, you are going to be walking several miles in a humid environment, getting dehydrated results in headaches and nausea and no one wants to be sick. Flip side, you're gonna have to pee a bit more so make sure your costume permits easy pee breaks.

>> No.7560510

Teenagers and first time conners, for some reason, seem to forget to bring normal clothes. Bring pajamas for each night in case you sweat, bring clothes to wear when you don't feel like cosplaying or to go out to dinner at night. Jeans and a t-shirt do not take up a lot of space. Plus girls - we ooze, bring extra panties so you don't feel like a grossoid at the end of the weekend.

If your room does not have a fridge and the front desk is out (again they have a limited quantity, no it is not illegal for them to not provide you one), just ask them to store any medication you might have.They will do it for you. THAT they have to do legally.

Bring a mirror and a light source for doing your make up. The bathroom is probably going to be busy in the morning and it's a bit more important for your roomy to shower and not smell like death than for you to do your eyeliner. Put a desk mirror ($10 from walmart) near one of the lamps turned towards your face, and do your make up there. Probably a bit more counter space to spread your shit out, and you won't be rushing to get out.

Pack a small make up kit. Tiny make up bags are fairly easy to find and all you'll really need is what you put on the morning and maybe some baby wipes for touch ups during the day. Make sure your eyeshadow's not creasing and making you look like a haggard old drag queen by the end of the day. Take some time to remove your wig and let your head breathe.

Wigs make my head itch. I keep a ball point pen in my bag so I can scratch through the wig without having to take it off every five minutes. I might be weird, but it works.

>> No.7560533

Always have a 24-pack of water. You can bring your own soda, but you're getting rekt if you just drink soda. The physical component is not one to disregard.

Always bring plates and plastic utensils.

Always bring at least 1 liter of water with you at all times. Dehydration is no joke, and cons mark up massively

Always get someone to be the backpack holder. In this backpack goes first aid kits, minor cosplay replair, food, water, and anything else that you can think of.

Always bring as fresh as possible fruits, and multivitamins. Trust me on this. Ramen is pure filler, and you cannot subsist on it alone. Melatonin is massively helpful for getting you to sleep. Make sure to bring peanut butter as well, peanut butter has fats and proteins, which you'll need plenty of. Make sure to eat hearty when you can.

Bring table top games, for the rare down time

>> No.7560552
File: 1.52 MB, 1440x2244, packthislist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>To save money on shopping:
If possible, check up with vendors' websites ahead of time so you can make a "wish list" with prices off the side. If not, make a note of what you want with the prices offered by the vendor and take some time (preferably before bed) to
check online for other competitors (i.e.: eBay, taobao, other vendors).

>Plan out your day
Face it, especially with big cons, you're probably not going to be able to see everything or do everything you want to do. Familiarize yourself with the con's event and panel schedule; make time to get in line for bigger events such as concerts and autographs, and for more practical things like rest, eating, and showering. It doesn't hurt to be familiar with the area/campus as well. I personally like to take an evening off to dine someplace nice if possible (man, if I were at ACen this weekend, I'd go to Bogart's).

>Keep a cooler
It doesn't hurt to have an ice box that you can refill with ice at the hotel to keep things like lunch meats cool.

>If dining options are limited
Someone suggested here a while ago to invest in a rice cooker which can be especially useful if you're packing the room. Flavored rice mixes are fortunately cheap and it doesn't hurt to stock up on those.
>>7560300
I think it would be cheaper to just have a water bottle that you can refill throughout the weekend.

>>7560498
Hmmm....I'm considering on keeping in contact with you, anon because I'm thinking about applying for area hotels - ideally front desk or banquet.

>> No.7560562

Always have a friend with you who doesn't cosplay/isn't cosplaying from the same series as you. That way you don't risk losing your bags every time someone asks you for a picture.

Buy a lanyard that snaps open and closed, that way you don't have to pull your con badge off over your head messing up your wig for pictures

If you're a girl always have pads/tampons with you. Always. You never know when mother nature could decide to fuck you over, or you could make someones day if they need one and don't have any.

Get a reusable water bottle with a strap, that way you don't have to keep pulling it out when you're thirsty and lessens the chance of leaking all over your bag

If you're cosplaying someone without pockets try and find a place where you can sew an invisible one. Nothing sucks more than not having your phone within reach at all times

If you have a long wig, bring a wig comb/brush with you. Chances are you're going to have to wait in line at some point and it gives you something to do and keeps you looking good.

Always have some kind of painkiller with you, chances are you'll want them by the end of the day.

>> No.7560571

>>7560552
>make time to get in line
Oh god I cannot emphasize this enough. My biggest mistake when I first started going to cons is I didn't factor in how long you need to line up before hand in order to get into popular panels/autograph sessions. For big cons plan for 2+ hours of waiting ahead of time, if you really don't want to miss the event plan for 3. Bring card games with you and make friends with your fellow line mates, you're gonna be there a while.

>> No.7560593

TIP THE SHIT OUT OF EVERYBODY. The employee that checks you in and out, housekeeping, and even the valet driver if you have that option. A couple of dollars goes a long way and allows you to get away with small things, like asking for extra keys or towels

>> No.7560638

>>7560552
I worked in a variety of hotels from bottom of the barrel shit factories to fairly nice hotels catered primarily by business men.

If you do front desk, work a nice one. Get comfortable shoes and get used to the uniform and getting yelled at a lot. Avoid the night audit shift unless you hate the daylight and people - it's boring and the most shit goes wrong. People are terrible and you will be standing the whole time for shit ass pay.

No real experience with banquet, sorry.

>> No.7560655

As much of a pain it'll be, BRING A CHAIR ON DAY 0 FOR THE LINE. It'll save your life. My group brought a sturdy cooler one year with wheels and that became our chair/food/water/card game table. Greatest idea ever. We also helped quite a few people stay hydrated because they didn't have water like idiots. We had like a 48 pack or some shit.

Another good idea for food: find the nearest Subway, buy a footlong (preferably one that won't go bad too quickly) in the morning, bam! All day con food. Unless you have a big appetite. I always forget to eat at cons so anything helps.

One thing people forget is that the dealer's hall isn't the only place to buy anime stuff in the area. There's also the glorious Little Tokyo just a few minutes away. If you get a gist of the prices, you could find better deals there. And god dammit try the food- but keep a close eye on your spending. Fuck Marukai Market. There's a revolving belt sushi place with great prices though.

>> No.7560697

>>7560510
"we ooze"

Can't unsee.

Thank you ladies who worked hard to make sure I never knew this.

>> No.7563636
File: 1.98 MB, 1920x1080, dat reference.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A flask filled with Jameson is always nice

>> No.7563663

For the even slightly allergic people:
If the hotel is old bring antihistamines. Specially for carpeted rooms, or rooms with heavy curtains. To be extra safe, bringing your own pillow case is also a good idea. Simple rhinitis may seem like barely a problem but it can keep you from sleeping, so it's good to be safe!

>> No.7563667

>>7560697
Sage because no one likes this conversation, but trust me when I say if a girl always seems to have clean undies, you better be grateful. At the end of an active day, shit gets damp.

>> No.7563694

>>7563663
Also remember that most nice hotels use down pillows and comforters.
and typing that you need hypoallergenic bedding in the others space is not enough for the hotel to switch it, tell the front desk.
I can not count the times I have woken up with frog eyes because I forget about this.

>> No.7563706

> Medicine kit: pepto bismol, aspirin, tums, sunscreen, any kind of specialty medicine you might need (i.e. allergy meds, visine, contacts solution, etc.)

>Cash: guaranteed that after Day 1 of a con all the ATMs will be tapped out. On this note: a. be careful and keep the cash on your body at all times (don't leave it in the hotel room) - keep it in a secure location, a zippered compartment in your purse. b. you might want to break 20s before getting there so you have $5s and $1s for taxi fare/tipping/etc.

>Bathing suit, flip flops, slippers, jacket/hoodie, extra clothes (especially in summertime, I know I usually end up changing clothes at LEAST 2x per day)

>Parasol/portable hand fan (sometimes the $1 store carries those little battery operated ones)

>If you have medical needs, it might not hurt to get a doctor's note for the convention. I've heard of people being screwed out of getting fridges when they need it to keep medicine chilled, etc.

>If any of this applies to you: copies of the Hotel reservation confirmation, flight info, etc. Most of the time there's no problem checking in but it doesn't hurt to have a hard copy.

>> No.7563711

>>7563706
>Entertainment of some sort: books, decks of cards, Kindle, portable games, etc.

>Chargers and extra batteries (charge those extra batteries!!)

>Safety pins, sewing kit, Tide to-go pen, febreeze...

>Bandaids/blister covers

>> No.7563822

http://pastebin.com/HgawUXz6

My basic packing list.

I have a lot of pain issues which require different types of painkillers depending on the pain so... pick and choose what works best there.

>> No.7563836

>>7560491
Adding to this, if you're room cramming, either give the beds to people who drove others down, or rotate if eveyrone drives themselves.

OR if you have someone with medical issues, fucking let them have a bed and be decent.

I crammed for Katsucon, some dumb bitch took the bed all weekend after showing up way late, and I could barely move by the time we left because of the pain from sleeping on the floor. I have back and neck issues, on top of shoulder and hip problems, and I was promised a bed to share with the BF + someone else, which I was fine with. But then I ended up shoved onto the floor because this cunt wouldn't stop crying about the floor being so icky to sleep on.

/rant

Just don't be a dick, you know? It hurts just thinking about that weekend.

>> No.7563852

>>7563822
A list in itself helps. I always write a thorough list (although there are a lot of very good ones online) before leaving so I don't forget to pack anything.

If you're the type to lose things you might want to print 2 copies of your list: one for leaving home and one for when you're leaving the hotel on the last day.

I always do a thorough look through the hotel room before leaving, making sure nothing gets left behind. Putting things in your suitcase when you're finished with them (ex: dirty clothes in a plastic bag) helps, too.

>> No.7563869

>>7560300
Are people this retarded when it comes to going to a convention? Really?

You need "tips" on what to bring? Theres a thing called common sense but I suppose its not so common after all.

>> No.7563909

>>7563836

>the floor's so icky and gross and dirty!
>you sleep on it!

>> No.7563933

>>7563869
you'd be amazed at how many people don't know what to bring or do.

>> No.7563961

For us who border hop for cons, as I will be doing for Anime North, be careful with goddamn what you bring in, how much you spend and what you buy.

Yes, you don't need to be fully honest about how much everything is in the car, but don't buy a sword, don't bring fruit in or out. Seriously, get well acquainted with your border and it's laws if you border hop for cons. They don't fuck around at the American border that's for sure.

>> No.7563966

Bring your own food and drinks. Do not forget to bring your own food and drinks. Your own food and drinks, bring it with you. Bring your food, also your drinks.

>> No.7563969
File: 95 KB, 791x1010, social_anxiety_by_robotfarts-d6ttzek.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you are like me and have social anxiety always have a anxiety plan.
If you have medication, make sure it is always on you. Even if you feel fine, panic attacks tend to come out of nowhere.
Map out an "escape" route wherever you are just in case you have a severe attack.
Go outside or go back to your hotel room and take a breather as often as you need to. The con isn't going to go anywhere.
Stay close to a friend or family member who can help you in case of an attack.
Most importantly, don't let your anxiety ruin your fun. Attacks aren't pleasant but if you are prepared for them, they will pass and you can go on enjoying the con.
If you are worried about all the people, just try and keep in mind that they are all too busy trying to enjoy the con (like you are) to give you too much unwanted attention.

>> No.7563985

>>7563869
Conventions are pretty much THE massive outing for people to completely fuck everything up.

There are people who show up with nothing and expect to find a room. There are other people who haul their entire sewing room with them to the convention, just in case.

There are other idiots who make massive clusterfuck "costumes" and never wear them until the con, not realizing that their 10ft tall recreation of a classic NES character is going to be painfully heavy and not a good thing to bring into the jam-packed dealer's hall or the narrow, over-stuffed hallways..

Fact: People are fucking stupid.

>> No.7563991

>>7563933
Some of this shit is stuff you only learn from going to a hundred different cons and hotels.

>If your going to drink, don't forget a corkscrew/bottle cap opener
We have at least 10 corkscrews we had to buy on the spot. That shit costs like $7 at the groceries when you can buy an all-in-one at a dollar store.

>> No.7564073

Anyone have any recipes for stuff that you can put in containers and not have to refrigerate? I saw on a forum that someone uses this recipe and doesn't need to refrigerate it. I'd probably just make it for a first night so it can be eaten quickly and save the non-perishable stuff for later.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/lime-biryani-salad

Also, is hummus safe to not refrigerate?

>> No.7565432

>>7560502
Feeling you on the white noise thing
When I was around 6 or 7 our trashy neighbors got a hot tub and my mom gave me a fan because they would have drunk parties in it even on school nights. I sleep terribly without one now.

>> No.7565510

>Make sure to always bring enough MONEY!

Even if you don't plan on buying anything in the dealer's room, bring more money than you think you'll need. I was at a con when I was rather broke ("I ain't buying anything anyways!") and ended up not having food for two days, together with an equally broke friend of mine. We had to scrape together our last cents (Europe) to buy a single spring roll on saturday, and lived off of chewing gum and tap water for the rest of the con. Don't be this stupid, save money for a con that's coming up.

>> No.7565529

>>7564073
We brought hummus at our last con and it lasted through the weekend fine, though it was kept in insulated bag. Not like there's dairy in it, though, so I'm sure it'd be fine without it.

>> No.7565564

>>7560348
>>Bring your own towel so you dont have to worry about others using up all the hotel ones.
You can call reception/cleaning services and ask for more towels instead. This way, you don't have to pack a sopping wet towel back into your suitcase when you leave on Sunday morning.

>> No.7565570
File: 138 KB, 262x413, 1394576639010.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Regardless of having a good time in the room you're staying at, get some well rounded sleep (6-8 hours) to be well rested the next day

>Don't pull all nighters, try and plan out some way to get some sleep each night of the con! No one wants you to be grumpy in the morning/afternoon

>If someone wants to go to sleep in the room fucking LET THEM

I had to wake up at 7AM the next morning for a shoot with a friend and wanted to go to bed at the latest 11. The rest of my roommates knew I needed the sleep but were completely inconsiderate about it and stayed loud for an entirety of 4 hours into the night.
Then somewhere around 1 two drunken assholes came in (they were aquantences of mine, friends of someone else) and made the room louder. Someone stood in the doorway SAW ME SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR (my spot was nearest to the door due to everyone being loud fucks on the other side of the room) and was yelling across the room not bothering to whisper or come inside to talk lower.

I'm still bitter about that night and I hate being *that guy* that wants to enforce sleep on everyone else but I don't wanna put up with you the next morning you don't want to get up and "we can't leave without you" just cause you want to go as a group.

>TLDR: SLEEP. SLEEP. SLEEP. Don't be an asshole when someone wants to go to bed early, get some sleep yourself and don't pull an all nighter.

>> No.7565597

>>7563969
>have anxiety & panic attacks
>want to cosplay

true suffering

>> No.7565617

>>7565570
I swear half the shit I fucking read....

You bitch about sharing a room with like a dozen other people?

Suck it up, get yourself and a friend to split a room.

The amount of bitching on /cgl/ is insane.

>> No.7565624
File: 15 KB, 189x227, tumblr_inline_n478bbR4hM1r039aa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7565617
Woah woah calm down anon, I'm not bitching about sharing with (mind you a big room with only 6) other people, I'm bitching about other people not being considerate, and not getting themselves a good nights rest.

If I could afford my own room by myself I would man we're not all rich.

>> No.7565638

>>7565624
>only 6
>bitching about others not being considerate.
If they paid their 1/6th of the room, they're entitled to do whatever they want. Such is the price you pay for being poor.

>> No.7565647
File: 17 KB, 307x371, 1376870258235.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7565638
>they're entitled to do whatever they want
Were you raised in the fucking jungle, anon? If your parents paid for you to go to summer camp, would you take that as an okay to be a complete shitass the whole time? If you're planning on coexisting with a lot of people in a small space, I'd think it's common sense to lay down ground rules and try to be basically respectful.

>> No.7565660
File: 44 KB, 164x191, Screen shot 2014-05-19 at 4.51.22 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7565647
This is exactly what I meant thank you

>>7565638
I'm just glad I'm not rooming with you anon, god help your roomies

>> No.7565670
File: 42 KB, 450x331, 1374893114972.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7565617

The ideal group size for any hotel room is 4 people. 5, only if you are feeling generous or REALLY need to bring down the room cost slightly.

This is important for a number of reasons:
>Fewer keys to worry about and also fewer people scrambling to find keys if the hotel won't give extras
>Fewer people to come barging into your room at random times
>Less people to worry about fucking with your shit
>Less food to pack and also less people to eat all your fucking food when you aren't in the room
>More floor, closet, and general room space for your stuff.
>Less worrying if someone might fuck with your stuff.
>Actually having a bed to sleep on

And if you fucking stick by the rule and don't let anyone else stay in your room
>No waking up to random strangers sleeping on your floor
>No room parties wrecking your shit and leaving everything a mess
>No mooching motherfuckers abusing the room you paid for and then leaving before paying anything.

>> No.7565691
File: 17 KB, 247x233, tumblr_inline_mzyckpOroE1r8h8sk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7565670
I completely agree with this 100%.
I absolutely hate rooming with more than 5+ but because we always have an extra "I have to bring to them along can't leave them home alone etc" bullshit so I have to put up with somebody one more person.

Back on topic does anybody bring their own mini grill/fridge for the con?
Our group has invested in a grill to make ourselves breakfast with eggs/bacon and warm foods for dinner like pasta.

>When searching up your con be sure to look *around* the con for places to eat like a fast food/restaurant/liquor store

This is only if you plan on not bringing food to your room or if its too far from your hotel/con to bring back.

>Never buy from food venders unless extremely desperate
>always keep snacks on you/in bag

The food in said con is probably extremely pricey.

>> No.7565794
File: 5 KB, 130x123, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood2013-12-10-21-3-25.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7565691
>Our group has invested in a grill to make ourselves breakfast with eggs/bacon and warm foods for dinner like pasta.
id love to room with you anon, hot damn

>> No.7565868

Pack the week of the con weekend. Yes, you've got your costume to finish at the last minute, but having your basic needs like clothes, cash, medicine, etc. ready before you head out is more important and you're less likely to freak out or forget anything.

>> No.7565878

>>7563909
Pretty much. I even offered up my extra blankets to whoever would give me a bed spot (the other bed was taken by the guy who arranged the whole thing and drove myself, my boyfriend, another friend, and his girlfriend there in the snowstorm, so I wasn't going to try and guilt him out of it) to pad the floor, but this bitch and her fat boyfriend wouldn't have any of it. She even bitched at me for napping at the foot of the bed (like a dog lays at the foot of the bed) in the middle of the day when nobody else was in the fucking room, as though I'd get my floor-cooties on it.

We all agreed never to room with her ever again. We crammed 11 people in that room, and she was the ONLY one who caused issues of any sort.

She also left her shit all the fuck over the place.

>> No.7565884

>>7564073
granola is cheep and wonderful, you can skip the almonds if you are too broke. Deff does not have to be refrigerated. http://lovelylittlekitchen.com/homemade-coconut-oil-honey-almond-granola/

>> No.7565899

>>7565638
You sound like a fucking cunt.

When sharing space with others, even just one other person, you be considerate to them, and they do the same for you.

If I were rooming with someone in an apartment, I wouldn't play loud music late into the night all the time just because I'd paid for my half of the rent.

>> No.7566470

>>7560510
>girls ooze

you gave away the secret

>> No.7566472

>>7565878
11 people in one room? what are you fucking homestuck or something:

>> No.7566553

Multi-Vitamins - you may scoff but I find when when you are running on water, painkillers, sugar and what food you manage to get, multi-vitamins help you body keep going.
Gastrolyte (glucose and electrolytes mix) and Berocca helps in cases if you need top up in the morning esp. if you have been drinking.
and one of the most important things
Hand sanitiser and moisturiser.

>> No.7566663

Anyone have tips for eating things that won't make your stomach blow up? I'll be cosplaying with a bare stomach for my next con and I don't want my ugly tummy poking out if I get my pictures taken, or over-in-all run around with it.

I know that I should stay away from carbonated drinks and junk food but is there anything else? Tips for small things I can eat that won't leave me totally starving?

>> No.7567020

>>7566663
Try not to eat sandwiches, bread makes you bloat
Also Beans, alchohol (if u plan on drinkin the night before don't do it!), those you should definitely steer clear of, try eating nothing but salads the day before?

>> No.7567065

Aspirin masks for skin. Works great to calm my skin down and buff it a little.

>> No.7567070

>>7566663
Eat nuts and lean protein, almonds for a snack, make sure they aren't salty

>> No.7567091

peanut butter and honey sandwiches if you can
My English teacher is a marathon runner and gave the class tips. Eat one in the morning and one ingredient give you immediate energy; later the other will kick in and give you a boost.
(or something like that its been a few years since i took him; but the sandwiches have always been a life saver for me)

>> No.7567179
File: 75 KB, 331x506, 7292.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7565878
>We crammed 11 people in that room

I seriously hope that was a large penthouse suite because that is goddam ridiculous otherwise.

As for con tips? You know months in advance that your favorite con is coming up so put aside $50 out of your check every payday to cover the costs of the con. If you saved enough you might even have enough money to get a hotel room all to yourself.

Food: Ask the locals where are the good cheap places to eat within a 15 minute walk from your hotel. Otakon is the best for this because there are plenty of good places to eat outside the inner harbor area without dealing with the inner harbor food court/restaurant lines.

>> No.7567307

Lotta stuff already mentioned, but these are the latest tricks I picked up:

>Hotel: If you have a fridge, bring frozen fruit, ice trays, fresh fruit, fruit juice, cups/straws, and a blender. You will become everyone's friend and won't feel like pizza grease whenever you want a snack.

>Hotel: Pack heavy, large, awkward, or delicate items the night before check out and leave them with the front desk to grab in the morning. You won't have to fights through the elevators with it.

>Hotel: Request a dolly from the front desk by phone early in the morning before people start checking out. They will bring it to your door instead of having to fights through the elevator and lines for one.

>> No.7567313

>>7567091
>Peanut butter, honey, and banana slices

This and bottled water has gotten me through many a long ass line!

>> No.7567379

Pack up and load out Saturday night before you start partying. Leave one small bag that is easy to carry down stairs with your pj's plus whatever you'll need in the morning and Sunday's clothes.

You'll get to sleep in longer in the morning and you won't have to deal with trying to wrestle all of your luggage down the stairs or wait an eternity for the elevators. You also don't have to worry about leaving anything behind because you are too drunk or hungover to pack properly.

>> No.7567806

>>7564073
trail mix is also a great snack, get some mixed nuts, dried fruit and even some m'n'ms or chocolate chips for a little quick energy and sweetness. I survived a day at the con eating one meal and trail mix for the rest of the day.

>> No.7567843
File: 54 KB, 1000x800, pill-box-7-day-mini_default_911_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just general advice, two unrelated things:

If you are bringing a lot of small items or jewelry (I bring a lot of different earrings), use a weekly pill container to keep them separated. These are nice because they're small enough to carry in a purse if you need to.

Give yourself plenty of time for anything. This goes for lining up for panels/events, travelling anywhere, going to eat, checking in/out, etc. People often get angry on the last day saying "there were no carts and the elevator took 45 min to get there"-- not realizing that, if checkout is at Noon, 11:45am isn't a good time to look for a luggage cart or hop on the elevator.

>> No.7567873

>>7566472
>>7567179
It was at Katsucon. Not bad, actually. Two on one bed, three on the other, someone slept between the beds, one couple slept at the foot of each bed, one in the entry hall area, and one guy on the other side of one of the beds.

We stashed our bags in the closet and under the desk, in the bathroom. We all packed fairly lightly. We had no issues other than Cunt McGee the whole weekend.

>> No.7568082
File: 80 KB, 1600x900, packmule.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has anyone else already talked about the convenience of a packmule? That isn't to say you should abuse your friend who's not in cosplay to make them carry all your stuff but it's super convenient.

I always have a friend who isn't in cosplay or is dressed as something from a different series carry a backpack or a bag with them so they can hold all the flyers people hand you, any merch we buy or any snacks we get. There is nothing worse than someone asking you for a picture and you have your hands full!

But don't be a dick, if you're going to ask your friend to carry your stuff buy them lunch or something, or some cool merch, make it even!

>> No.7568094

If your hotel room is between floors 1-5 and you're in good health. Walk the fuck up and down them stairs.

Don't be that douche that's only going up or down one or two floors in a multi-story hotel.

>> No.7568125

Just something to note from recent experience: Most hotels probably won't have microwaves in their rooms, but they might have one somewhere else that would be accessible to their guests.

If you are a fan of ramen or other microwavable foods that can't be cooked with coffee pots, I'd recommend calling and inquiring with any hotel if there's a microwave available for guests to use.

Found one while staying at the Crowne Plaza for ACen, nestled in a corner right near the stairs entrance. Would have been nice to know about it earlier for cup noodle or the fancy yakisoba stuff.

>> No.7568126
File: 26 KB, 781x480, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7565878
>We crammed 11 people in that room
Honest question, why do you cram so many in one room? I always wondered what the "real" savings were of cramming more than 4 people in a room so I fired up Excel and made this table.

For cheap $100/night rooms, you are saving an additional $1-2/night by adding persons with 6 people already in the room. Is it really worth it to add more people than that to save a buck or two per night during my stay?

Of course, the added savings of adding more people to the room is much greater when the per night rate of the room is higher. This would definitely influence someone in one way or the other in determining how many people to invite to their room.

What do you guys think? The table is not great and may not tell the whole story but I'm sure it could be used as a "survival tool" when one has to determine how many to put in a room based on everyone's financial situation.

>> No.7568142
File: 121 KB, 375x500, rathalos_armor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7568082
If you can, take some time to really examine your cosplay and look for spots where you might be able to hide or stash stuff.

Fuckhuge armor costumes are especially good for this, since you can build little containers and pockets into parts of the costume. Likewise if you've got a costume that already has pouches, bags, and pockets.

My last costume had a long dress coat that allowed me to secure a medium sized back to my belt where I could easily access and grab stuff from it without it messing up the rest of my costume.

All that said, be sure you have some way of carrying a light snack (granola bars are great) and a bottle of water. Nothing sucks worse than sweating your balls off in a heavy costume and having a 30 minute march back to your hotel room just to cool off and get a drink of water.

>> No.7568158

>>7563969
This is probably a silly question but what should I do if I have an attack but no one with me?
I've never had an anxiety attack where I didn't have anyone with me but I'll be going to a con alone (for the most part) and am worried about this happening.

>> No.7568169

>>7568158
Not a silly question at all. I have slight social anxiety and sometimes start to 'lose it' in big crowds and I'm usually off doing my own thing at cons. Best advice I can give you:

>Find time to go back to your hotel room, even if it's just to eat a snack or lay down for 15 mins and take a mental breather.
>Find quiet places in public to take a breather, these places will change as the con goes on.
>Bring along music/earbuds or something to listen to that might change your mood, calm you down, make you happier, etc.
>Don't overdo it. It's easy to be in a big rush or forget to eat. None of this is worth it if you get yourself worked up into an anxiety attack or getting upset. You're there to have fun and really everyone else is too.

>> No.7568238

>>7568169
Thank you very much Anon! I'll keep all of that in mind. I would love to actually enjoy myself at this con and not worry too much about having a melt down.

>> No.7568326

>>7565510
>cents (Europe)
We have cents in America too.

>> No.7568338

>>7568082
depends. I've been the packmule at times, sometimes it sucks, other times I'll grin and bear with it. Just try and treat us like people, don't abuse us, and no cock-blocking us please.

>> No.7568362

>>7568082
my fiance was my pack mule last year during AnimeNEXT when he was dressed as finn the human, i made his backpack functional so it could carry all our stuff.

>> No.7568829

This may be a dumb question, but most of this thread is tailored to if you're staying at a hotel, right? What if you live close enough to the con that you can easily take the transit / drive to and from your place?

>> No.7568871

>>7568829
if you're taking transit you're going to be backpack/bag based. you're going to have to just stick with the essentials like snacks and water. i've done it enough times to declare that it kind of sucks. it's nice to have somewhere to ditch your stuff if you have to.

if you have a vehicle you can leave certain things like outerwear and multiple snacks/drinks in the car and only carry a small drink and a small snack if you want. you can also leave things that you might need but probably won't in the car. folding chair, medical supplies, poster tubes, extra clothes, larger meals (if they're okay to sit in the car)

particularly if you're a photographer

>> No.7569393

>>7568326
Whoops, I forgot about that. Now I feel stupid

>> No.7569594

>>7565638
They paid one 1/6 of the room meaning they get to do 1/6th of what they want to do

>> No.7569921

>>7565899
>>7565647
>>7565624

The roommates were being assholes for shouting across the room at all hours of the night, but it's a bit unrealistic to expect everyone to go to bed at 11pm at a con. This isn't summer camp for 8 year olds.

I would be really fucking annoyed if I was expected to be silent and keep the lights out at 11pm. I'm just starting to get ready for parties at that time. I would be ok with keeping out of the room except for drink refills, but there will be some noise.

If you know you're going to want to sleep early either make sure you are rooming with people that also want to go to bed early, or bring ear plugs, a fan, and an eye mask so that everyone else doesn't keep you up.

>> No.7570076

>>7565564
The con hotels always run out of towels. Don't plan on doing this.

>> No.7570084

Hearing all these complaints about room sharing reminds me:
If you are sharing a room, whoever is "in charge" of the room should really get everyone together and lay down some ground rules. Discussing this stuff AT con is just recipe for disaster.

And no, you really can't expect silence in the hotel for your 11pm bedtime. If that's your thing, fine, but bring earplugs and an eyemask and deal with it. At the same time people shouldn't be disrespectfully loud, either.

>> No.7570090

>>7565691
Not sure if that is legal, anon. Grilling in a hotel room is probably a fire hazard and they will kick you the fuck out of there if management finds out.

>> No.7572636

>>7565691
Do you mean like an electric griddle?

Or an actual grill.

>> No.7572651

>>7568126
The room was like $275+ per night. We stayed 4 nights with 11 people, which comes to a total of $1100. That's $100 per person for the whole weekend, or $25 per night. Splitting the room between just 5 people would leave the cost at $220 per person, which is $55 per night. I'll pay half the cost any time.

I'd never share a cheapo room with so many people, I'd maybe invite a friend or two, but when the room costs that much, it's entirely worth it if you're rooming with people who will act responsibly.

Honestly we had no issues other than that one girl, I'd room with the remaining 9 (since her boyfriend was there) again any time.

>> No.7574965
File: 20 KB, 500x280, tumblr_my75oea83C1qepq1wo2_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7569921
>it's a bit unrealistic to expect everyone to go to bed at 11pm at a con
>I would be really fucking annoyed if I was expected to be silent and keep the lights out at 11pm

I was clear to them that they could talk and have the lights on and do what they wanted (lights weren't a problem at all actually the room was very dimly lit) I just wanted them to keep the noise level down to a certain point/extent. I can sleep through noise and rustling, but they were *excessively* loud to a point where they were constantly yelling and bickering with one another, it sucked. Some of my group still feels bad about it (two apologized) even when I didn't mention anything after the con

> bring ear plugs, a fan, and an eye mask so that everyone else doesn't keep you up.

This is actually something I hadn't thought of and a really good idea, I'll will bring to the next con I'm with them thanks anon!

>> No.7574977
File: 39 KB, 500x500, 0007574107047_500X500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7572636
>>7572636
Holy fuck yeah I meant griddle, a real grill would really be dangerous in a small room

It's pretty small so it's not a hassle to put it away/keep safe/out of harms way

>still wondering about fridges
Every room I've been in hasn't had their own, so we end up always bringing a cooler just in case, but we have to re-fill it up with ice by the end of the night

>What do you do when your room is hot as fuck???

The last room I was in didn't have the AC working and we didn't know what to do, it sucked all weekend, does the hotel actually give you another room if you complain (do you have to pay extra to switch?) What're the chances they'll do something to fix it?

>> No.7577409

>>7574977
They'll definitely give you another room if you complain and they HAVE another room. They pretty much have to, especially if you slip in a white lie and say, "so-and-so has asthma and the heat's really bothering them."

>> No.7578782

>>7560593
I live in Australia and we don't tip except for exceptional service.

>> No.7580782

>>7560300
My main convention is Anime Expo, which means we are talking a very crowded convention in LA in the summer, and for me it's usually a 16 hour or more day of constantly running around. I'm from LA and I've been going to ax for years now, so I know what to expect and I have my "emergency" kits down really well at this point.

First off, for my bad I usually have some kind of sturdy book bag. I can hold everything I need and still have plenty of room for anything I buy in the dealers hall, so I don't have to worry about the cheap plastic bags falling apart on me.

Next, I get 2 small makeup bags (they can be more compact than one big one) to store all my supplies in. Con funk is a thing I absolutely strive to avoid, because it's fucking gross and when you are running around a hot crowded place for 16 or more hours, it's nice to not feel disgusting. It might seem over board but I am able to pack it all down really small, so it hardly takes up any room, and it's all very light. Here is my list:

>Miniature version of deodorant
>Your regular body spray (transferred to travel bottle)
>Travel tooth brush and tooth paste
>travel makeup wipes
>clean and clear blotting sheets
>Travel bottle of fabric freshener
>Mini Advil
>Makeup like Lip balm and powder
>Hair Ties

Also, if you have a working uterus, bring period stuff. Even if the con isn't during your time of the month, trust me on this, it is better safe that sorry. Because of this I also bring the following:
>Tampons (or pads if you like)
>Liners
>Feminine wipes
>1 extra pair of underwear

[1/2]

>> No.7580791

>>7580782
This year I might also bring a tiny first aid kit, because last year my friend got hurt and it would have been nice to have. (there are first aid stations but having something on site is always nicer)

The final things I bring are a big ass water bottle (usually just a smart water or the kind from trader joes; anything huge) and a protein bar. Eating actual meals at the convention will make your time there so much nicer, so I do this now, but I bring something I can shove in my purse just in case myself or a friend needs something.

I'm sure that all sounds like a lot, but I've been doing these for 10 years, and all of this stuff comes in handy every single year (be it for me or a friend), and it truly does take up very little space.

Finally, my last tip (besides showering, like fucking seriously you need to do it, don't be gross), is if you are somewhere hot, try and find more waterproof and light weight makeup, and get this shit called "Certain Dri" and use it under your arms before bed. It will keep you from sweating there. Even if you aren't a sweaty person, if you haven't done a con like ax, you will be surprised (and it will suck).

(currently for lightweight but long lasting waterproof base makeup, I use nyx shine killer for my primer, Pixi h2o skin tint for foundation (its a waterproof tm), nyx water proof concealer (if needed), and maybelline dream matte powder. For eyes do whatever you need to do for your cosplay, but use a good primer (i like too faced shadow insurance) and a waterproof mascara.)

[2/2]

>> No.7580842

So I guess this should be the right topic. How does one deal with post con depression/exhaustion?

>> No.7580887

>>7580842
I tend to just attempt to do other things and divert my mind, which usually works well. I've found uploading pictures, or trying to find pictures of yourself is an adequate waste of time until you get to that point where you're ready to slip back into shitty ass normality

>> No.7580922

What do you guys use to transport a bunch of wigs (on wig heads) from the car to the hotel room (and vice-versa)?

Luggage cart is the obvious answer, but that would involve putting them on top of all the other luggage and make them susceptible to falling over while the cart is moving and jostling around. They could also be transported up on the luggage cart on their own but that would add one extra trip up to the room for the luggage separately.

>> No.7580924

Sometime lines are long, wear a diaper so you can shit whenever you need to. You dont want to miss a panel or autograph you have been waiting for. If you dont want the bulge of a diaper and think it is solid enough just let the turd fall out the bottom of you pants. Eventually the line will move and the turd will be left behind.

>> No.7581241
File: 97 KB, 1280x720, 06719.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7580924

>> No.7581442

I know sometimes people try to save money by eating nothing or very little: if you're going to do this, at least do something like bring a refillable water bottle and some luna bars. Definitely bring a water bottle in general - staying hydrated properly gets stressed for a reason. I feel like I always see friends or strangers feeling crappy and it's because they haven't been hydrating or eating properly. It happened to me one year at a con where I forgot to stay consistently hydrated, had only a smoothie for breakfast, and forgot to eat lunch. By the time I remembered to go grab a bite to eat I had a headache and just felt generally crappy; I think if I hadn't decided to go back to the hotel room when I did, I might've passed out in the middle of the food court. (Then again, I was also on my period that weekend so being particularly sensitive to these things might've also played a role...which would also bring me to the point to *especially* pay attention to eating + drinking properly if you're on your period!) Also I know sometimes my friends and I spend longer amounts of time between meals; besides keeping hydrated it's also nice to keep some snacks in your bag (like pretzels, peanut butter crackers, or even luna bars) for a pick-me-up. Try not to eat too much shitty food either/keep the indulgence to one day or night.

Anyways besides that, one year my friends and I brought a cooler with us for our hotel room. It was kind of a pain in the ass but also worked out nicely since the hotel ran out of mini fridges (I dunno wtf we were expecting). Don't bring too many things that will perish quickly unless you eat them fast enough or you're good about keeping it stocked with fresh ice. But yeah it was kinda nice to be at a con and sit down and have some fresh fruit from home/have some place to put our leftovers with no fridge. Also would be good to keep other foods from home in to save money, like salads or lunch meats or if you really need to have cold water.

>> No.7581611

>>7581442
What is a luna bar? I'm guessing it's like some sort of snack.

>> No.7581634
File: 29 KB, 486x385, Prosource-Premium-Yoga-Mat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you know you'll be sleeping on the floor get yourself a thick yoga/exercise mat. Your back will thank you for it.

>> No.7581641

>>7581611
Nutrition bar, beyond a protien bar. One of them is essentially the nutrients you'd get in a meal.

>> No.7581999

>>7568169
>tfw i don't have social anxiety
>tfw still no anon i can share water with and comfort in a quiet area when their anxiety kicks in

>> No.7582051

>>7560421
>coffee maker you can use for hot water.
Or use it for instant oatmeal like I did one year. Found a super-market within walking distance and stocked up on actual food for the weekend. Helps curb con crud is you eat well.

>> No.7582164

>>7568126

i usually stay around 8 to a room at local cons so the cost is around $50 for two nights which is a great deal, but my group is neat and doesn't party in our room so it really isn't uncomfortable. we sleep 3 to a bed and 2 on an air mattress easily. no one is really in our room during the day anyways so stuff doesn't get moved. we also don't invite random people to room with us or to our room period, so everyone knows each others boundries and physical limitations/allergies/ect so there's never any huge room drama.

>> No.7582195

>juice
Fruit juice is great because it is not only hydration but also vitamins and a bit of sugar to keep you kicking. Instead of soda I just buy like two liters of juice.

>peanut butter
Is great, vegan and energizing. But airborn peanut allergy is a thing so be careful with this.

>down time
Searching out places where you can take a breather is good for anyone, not just people with anxiety or things like aspergers. There's no shame in telling your friends you need a few minutes to breathe so don't be afraid to do it. Especially if you're feeling stressful. You're at the con first and foremost to have fun and if something is more stress and hassle than it's worth, stop and breathe and then decide whether to go through with it or not.

>soap bubbles
This shit is the best thing for keeping the mood up in warm summer queues. It's fun and you can engage other people without having to teach them the rules of a card game. Instant mood-booster, easier to bring and much more widely embraced than obnoxious music through shitty travel speakers. Just be careful not to get it on people's costumes, especially if it's sensitive fabric.

>> No.7582278
File: 977 KB, 500x281, 1382407176073.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone from Dutchland around here?
I like animecon, but the fact that you're allowed to carry around so little really throws me off. A bag of up to one litre carried tightly to your body... aka a fanny pack. And no food or drinks allowed either. Obviously all the on-site stuff is overpriced as fuck (and mostly soda, anyway). I just want my water bottle...

>> No.7582329
File: 289 KB, 400x382, Afbeelding 146.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7582278
>Dutchland

>> No.7582356

>Keep safety pins on you at all times, you never know what might go wrong
Saved a Sailor Moon group by giving them some safety pins this weekend, always handy to have a box on you

>> No.7582401

My tips for a good con experience?

1. Make a list of everything you plan to bring. Check, doublecheck and triple check that little bastard in the weeks and days leading up to the con. You don't want to end up at the con and realize you left part of your big debut cosplay at home.

2. Follow the 6-2-1 rule like a boss. Six hours of sleep minimum per night, at least 2 solid meals a day, and 1 shower per day. Nobody likes a tired, stinky, otaku.

3. Be respectful of people, especially the guests of honor at a con. Don't go all crazy fanboy/fangirl at someone - makes them uncomfortable. Many con guests have social anxiety just like us normal folks so be respectful of that as well.

4. Always ask before taking pics with someone. Be mindful of personal boundaries and don't be a creeper who touches someone in the wrong way. Cosplay is not consent. Be sure to thank someone after getting the pic too, it shows politeness.

5. Do NOT overdo it at the con. I learned this the hard way at Anime Midwest and was so shot from lack of sleep and proper food (and dealing with room drama) that I had a full on anxiety attack that required paramedics to come look at me. Once again follow the 6-2-1 rule.

6. Make a contract with everyone in your group and stick to it. Anyone breaking that contract sleeps in the damn hallway. Get your money for the room (if you are the one paying for it) before you even set foot in there. Preferably get it prior to the con and set a deadline for payment if necessary. If they break the deadline they can find someone else to stay with next year. If you are paying someone for your part of the room - be prompt about it. Make sure they have a check or cash for your part as soon as the con is over.

7. Bring toiletry stuff, medicine and anything medical related if necessary. Ladies - BRING PADS AND TAMPONS. Cannot stress that enough. You do not want the red tide coming in on your white cosplay.

That's about it from me.

>> No.7582429

AVOID buying food at the con if you don't want to pay out your ass for food. Bring a ton of can fruit, bread item (bear claws, pbj sand, etc) because it's cheap, filling, and the fruit will help you avoid concrud.

>> No.7582532

>>7582429

THIS. ALL OF MY THIS.
My friends and I at Anime Midwest ended up paying through the fucking nose for food because the hotel has nowhere in it to eat. We ordered delivery constantly which really took a toll on our wallets (that and we didn't fancy walking several blocks away for food in the sweltering heat).

It SUCKED SO MUCH ASSU.

>> No.7582692
File: 49 KB, 521x600, 1365259177632.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7580924

>> No.7582995

>>7560438
Uhh... anime north is not all outdoor con. Some scheduled phjotoshoot/ghroup meetings are outdoors but most events are indoors. There is one outdoor rave/dance event.

>> No.7583122

Here are some tips for those who are cosplaying by themselves, don't have a pack mule, and how to get past five days of non-stop walking with barely much sleep.

>1. Eat before you leave for the convention. Eat when you come back.
Many people don't have an appetite when they get there. So, eat a good amount of fruit in the morning, and hydrate with as much water as possible. If you still have the stomach and don't think it'll give you a food coma, then get some eggs and oats in you too. It'll get you awake faster, and after the initial restroom spree in the morning you won't find yourself needing to go there much later. Keep the caffeine intake to a can or two at best if you're finding yourself still groggy in the afternoon. Otherwise, electrolyte water. Gatorade and Vitamin water is unnecessary sugar and sodium. There's multivitamin pills for the rest.

>2. Make friends quickly. Stick and switch around between them.
If you're wearing a costume, it's actually really easy to make acquaintances. Bring repair items, and you'll make even more friends. I mean this especially whenever you're in a line. Hold their things, and let them hold your things whenever needed. Don't trust them completely to take one hundred percent care of your belongings, but I never lost anything yet. Then whenever they need to do something you don't want to do, let them be and walk around until you find another friend. Don't be that guy who is unwanted though. Also, if you feel you're not as social going as you can be, don't worry. People over look such things, and can be really friendly regardless.

>> No.7583132 [DELETED] 

>>7583122

Also, as an side note to number 1 and 2, bring delicious snacks for yourself in case you do have to eat, but use them more as a way to befriend people. It doesn't matter who the person is. If you give them a ice cold bottle of water, or something replenishing and refreshing, they're going to be think you're the shit. Because you are. Most will say no because they're polite and have caution, but after hanging out with them for awhile, they'll say yes sooner than later. My advice? Gimmicky snacks. Shop around Little Tokyo a few days in advance.

>3. Get it over with. Walk your feet off before the convention.
Foot pad, comfortable shoes, and pacing yourself? It works. It does, but for you and me? No. We're getting them any way because we are constantly walking and standing with heavy cosplays on. The second and third day are the worst when they're still soft and sensitive. It makes you take so many breaks you end up sitting down 1/3rd of the time. So get them over with, and just walk a lot for a very long time as exercise rather than your usual routine. It's not pretty to accept, but hey, you're not a foot model.

>> No.7583152

>>7580922
I cut the necks off of wig heads and glue the head parts into boxes. Pin my wigs to the heads and close up the box. It's basically impossible for my wig to get destroyed even if the box tumbles around a bit. Just make sure you use a box that your styled wig will fit into without having to squish anything.

>> No.7583156

Also, as an side note to number 1 and 2, bring delicious snacks for yourself in case you do have to eat, but use them more as a way to befriend people. It doesn't matter who the person is. If you give them a ice cold bottle of water, or something replenishing and refreshing, they're going to be think you're the shit. Because you are. Most will say no because they're polite and have caution, but after hanging out with them for awhile, they'll say yes sooner than later. My advice? Gimmicky snacks that could also act as cosplay props, or just simply Japanese snacks. Whenever you see Solid Snake, whip out the calorie mate. Shop around Little Tokyo a few days in advance.

>3. Get it over with. Walk your feet off before the convention.
Foot pad, comfortable shoes, and pacing yourself? It works. It does, but for you and me? No. We're getting them any way because we are constantly walking and standing with heavy cosplays on. The second and third day are the worst when they're still soft and sensitive. It makes you take so many breaks you end up sitting down 1/3rd of the time. So get them over with, and just walk a lot for a very long time as exercise rather than your usual routine. It's not pretty to accept, but hey, you're not a foot model.

>> No.7583448

>>7563869

Makes me laugh how many posts are what to eat, or remember to eat.

Considering how big a % of cgl is fatties, I wouldn't really worry that they are going to forget food.

>> No.7583469

>>7583448 nice b8 but
What to eat is helpful though because whether you're a fatty-chan, or even just someone who doesn't have a specific diet, eating crappy, sugary food isn't gonna make you feel good or keep you going all day.

>> No.7583508

>used to bring Nature Valley snacks to cons
>can't bring them anymore because people will think it's for the meme
fucking bullshit

>> No.7583517

>>7583508
who gives a fuck what a bunch of nerds think? take them anyway.

>> No.7583649

>>7583508
You're doing that "I liked them before it was cool" shit over fucking granola bars. Get over yourself.

>> No.7583658

>>7583508
>Granola bar meme

That's a thing?

>> No.7583664

>>7583508
I eat that stuff all the time. Don't give a fuck anon.

>> No.7583908

>>7565691
I bought a small electric stove for like $20 solely to use at cons. It has come in handy.

If you really want to travel in luxury, just bring your microwave from home in the trunk of your car!

Bringing a fridge sounds excessive, but you could easily bring a cooler, and some pre-made frozen meals.

>> No.7584139

>>7582429
For some reason I only ever see bear claws mentioned in the context of food to eat at conventions.
Possibly only in these threads, even.

>> No.7584238

>>7582995
And the indoors are crazy sweaty BO packed

>> No.7585651

>>7583658
Apparently so.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/nature-valley-anime-tweets

>> No.7585753

>>7580924
Laughing so hard there are tears in my eyes.

In a way, this reminds me of the stories about brides wearing diapers so they don't have to try and move their huge dress into a tiny bathroom stall.

>> No.7585774

>>7565868
Definitely agree with this. Did this the last time and included a note on the inside of my front door listing things I wouldn't be able to pack until last minute. That way I wouldn't forget anything.

>> No.7585804
File: 443 KB, 1000x2068, tutorial_by_stealthos_aurion-d6u5v79.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7565868
>>7585774
I agree - between using some of the PackThisList we've all seen in >>7560552 and this one I found on DA, I can get packed with less stress whether it starts days before or the night before. The ideas in the tutorial helped me get my shit organized at home before the con so I can just grab items and check off costume-specific things so nothing gets left behind. I like to pack light and sometimes cut out too much, so IMO lists help me bring enough but not too much to a con.

One thing I always bring is one of those surge protector things with multiple outlets. That way no one has to worry about finding a place to charge phones, camera batteries, etc.

>> No.7585831
File: 11 KB, 244x206, 06.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Parking
If you are driving to a con, research ahead of time about places to park and prices. Especially when going to the city. If your hotel charges you...it might not be the cheapest place since guests obviously park there because it is easy. I once saved $15 a night parking at the convention center itself and not the hotel.

This also goes for you if you are driving to an airport. There are often parking lots outside of big airports itself with a free shuttle service. Saved $20 a night that way.

>Driving Over Mountains
Pack bottle water, chains (if winter), jumper cables, a blanket or two, antifreeze, and book in case you get stuck or need it.

>Driving Hours Away
Did a 16 hour drive in one go once for a con. Have someone else who can drive and alternate every few hours. (Someone you can TRUST to drive your car!) Decide on this schedule a head of time. Use ear plugs/mask to sleep.

Books on tape are amazing for long drives.

Get an oil change before you go and probably a good look over.

Keep in mind if your car is loaded with cosplays and bags and such...your gas mileage is going to go down and you're going to fill up more often.

>Gas Prices
Gas prices are often more expensive closer to freeways, high ways, city centers, and city borders. They know travelers are just going to go where it is easiest. If you are comfortable with driving there...search out cheaper places.

>Don't Panic
Don't be me and panic like a crazy person when the car transmission goes out just as you arrive into the city with a car full of people. That just stresses everyone. Breathe. Learn from me and have a plan B like numbers to call if you need to tow. Check your car insurance to see if they offer road side assistance!

>> No.7585888

Over the weekend I learned to pack a shit tone of Emergen C because cons are death and I usually just down two packs on day zero then have some throughout my stay at the con to keep away con plague.

I've also learned that from now on I need to take earplugs with me because I've never encountered so many snorers in one room as I have my past few cons.

>> No.7587766

>>7560300
You can look into something called 'thermos cooking' which you can cook meals in your thermos with hot water then enjoy it hours later at the con. Oatmeal is an easy one as with ramen.

For example this is from my own testing.

1 cup pasta
1 cup boiling hot water (or out the cooffee maker)
1 insulated mug/cup (I used a Dodge Ram I got for free after an oil lube and filter)

1. Boil water
2. Add pasta to cup
3. Add water to cup
4. Wait 20mins
5. Enjoy pasta (with pasta sauce or say can chili or if you froze/dehydrated some chili from home or pasta sauce)

At 20mins you get al dente. At 30mins it gets soft.

I can add more recipies later to help save money while at a con. Look up 'Hotel cooking' on youtube. One crazy guy managed to cook bread or scones I think...I forgot. I know you can make bannock off an iron. I have heard of someone making eggs, bacon, sausage, omlets, bannock, oatmeal, pasta, rice.

If you have chinese take outs in the area just buy a dish and make the rice at the hotel. I forgot but they charge like something $1.50/bowl of rice and each person seems to eat 2-3 bowls of rice so the savings adds up over a few days for everyone.

A cooler is very helpful in place of a fridge. Even better is knowing what temp is inside the cooler to help protect from spoilage. If you can change the ice 3 times a day without opening the cooler except during ice change times to get your stuff your food items should stay in the ~5C food safe range.

A cheap digital aquarium thermometer you can find at dx.com can be taped to the outside of the cooler (soft coolers) or drill a small hole and glue/silicone the hole up after you add the thermometer to a hard case cooler. I like softcoolers because of the quick take down when travelling. As the food is eaten on the last day you can just fold the soft cooler and not lug a hardcooler around.

>> No.7588021

here's a tip to those checking into hotels.
Check-in is usually at around 3 or so, but if you're extra nice and maybe use a line like "I seem to have gotten here way earlier than I thought, if it's possible, could I check into my room early so I can shower" or some shit. Bitches love people being nice.

If they have a room available, they're usually more than happy to set you up if you're nice about it.

>> No.7588024
File: 46 KB, 716x476, 390474808_275.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just learned about this, but one of my friends had a hand held air conditioner and it was amazing for the times we all had to go outside for shoots or it was just hot in general. I already bought a similar, but flatter model like this so I can stick it in my clothes and turn it on if need be

>> No.7588028
File: 180 KB, 1600x1200, IMG_1253.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7583152
I remember some time ago, someone suggested build a bear boxes since they have a handle and the box is tall enough for a wig head to fit.

>> No.7588036
File: 31 KB, 350x300, Twin_Beds_Pushed_5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another tip for comfortable room stuffing.

If you have a regular room with two beds, push the beds together to make one huge bed.

It will
a) give you a hell of a lot more room space
b)get rid of that weird gap between that can only be used for awkwardly standing in.
c) it will give you more bed space for more people to sleep on

in my last room, we had 9 people, and we were able to fit 6 people on the two beds comfortably. That and we all were also very comfortable with each other.

>> No.7588084

>>7588036
What about rooms that have a nightstand right between the two beds with stuff like alarm clocks or lamps hooked up?
Do you have to move them too?

>> No.7588114

>>7588084
our last room didn't have one, but I don't think it would be hard to pull one bed a little out then switch places with the night stand

>> No.7588160

>>7581634
Personally I've always found yoga mats too thin to sleep on. Then again I've only ever tried them outdoors so It might be different in a carpeted hotel room.

But still, something is always better than nothing.

>> No.7588169

I also think it should be common decency when room stuffing for the people with the bed to give the ones on the floor the comforter since there's that thinner sheet to use

>> No.7588392

>>7588169
Agreed. I did this when we had an extra person in our room and it made a nice little sleeping bag-esque thing. If you think you'll be cold then pack a sweater or something.

>> No.7588412

>>7588392
Or just use the extra thin blanket that's usually in the closet. People on the floor are going to be colder by default since beds are higher up.

>> No.7589395

>>7588392
Also crank the thermostat up if everyonr id dpread thin on the blasnkets. That wya those on the floor can stay warm. Some complain that it will make them sweat...pfftt.. the shower is frigging 3 meters away from you. Just shower in the morning then, then bitch about sweating when you sleep. Gezz.

>> No.7589765

>>7589395
relating to thermostats-- I have often woken up in hotels with the back of my nose and throat really dry, I have heard that is from having the A/C on during the night. Is that true?

>> No.7590145

>>7585804
>surge protector/power strip

SECONDING SO HARD. I brought one with me to the last con I went to in order to not hog the outlets while I was doing some last minute hot gluing, and I'm so glad I did. All my friends in the room, bless their hearts, had brought either laptops or tablets with them in addition to phones and cameras. No one would have been able to charge shit all weekend without it.

>> No.7590438

>>7566663
Oats. Oats oats oats.

I do bikini bodybuilding and before my comps I eat 200g of oats the night before and 200g the morning of -- they're big portions, but they do wonders for your stomach.

I also don't drink any liquids from the night before the comp till after, but that's not practical for a con, obviously.

>> No.7590509

>>7589765
Yes. The cooled air is usually dryer than normal air.

Forget why. My guess is the moisture in the air condenses near the cooling unit.

>> No.7590635

>>7588084
Rearrange any furniture not nailed down. Hotels are set up to be accessible and look nice, not to maximize space.

We make a megabed and then shove it up against the wall to eliminate all of the stupid little walkways. Some hotels have L shaped desks that can be separated and pushed against the walls instead of sticking out into the room to give more floor space and luggage storage underneath.

We usually have 6-8 people in a regular sized hotel room and sometimes people come party for a while so floor space is super important. You can easily fit 6 people in 2 queen beds shoved together if they are all good friends.

>> No.7590720

>>7563969
thanks i have this too got to have my xanax