[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 169 KB, 420x316, shopping-style-fabric-stores-rolls-of-fabric.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7556844 No.7556844 [Reply] [Original]

Is there a website that discusses what fabrics are good and bad for certain garments?

>> No.7556848

You can usually get great help on cgl.

>> No.7556865

Can this be a general fabric thread? I have less than meter of fabric from a project, and I"m not sure what I"m going to do with it. I was thinking a bra or a corset, but I'm not sure.

Also out of curiosity:
>What's your favorite fabric
>least favorite
>fabric you like but hate working with
>fabric you regret buying

>> No.7556873

I looking for good pink cotton and can't find any in stores that isn't pastel or full-blown neon. Any reputable online stores up your sleeves, seagulls?

> Canadianfag btw

>> No.7556878

>>7556865
i make stuffed animals on commission so i guess my favorite material is super soft fleece.
least favorite? hmmm anything with fucking sequins.
i like chiffon but i fucking hate working with it
i regret buying flannel....i have no idea what to do with this

>> No.7556880

>>7556865
Jersey knit annoys me. Is it supposed to leave little black.... things? They're like little crescents that only show up when I've cut it.

>> No.7556891

Back when I only used scratchy Walmart polycottons I'd double it to make opaque white tops. But now I care about comfort and quality and have found it impossible to find a good white, NON SHINY fabric that would work for the most basic, one-layered white seifuku top...maybe the stores are always out of stock or something but FUCK this shouldn't be so frustrating.

>> No.7556902

Any seagulls have thoughts on matte spandex materials for a plugsuit? It seems like everyone makes them out of really shiny stuff like latex or vinyl, and I'm not a big fan.

>>7556865
I'm working with this really lovely suit jacket material right now, I forget what it's called exactly, but it looks so gorgeous and it a breeze to sew.
>least favorite
Fucking crushed velvet. Disgusting.
I seem to end up working with 4-way stretch materials a lot. It's not exactly hard, but it gets old to me pretty fast.
Some cheap velveteen I bought for my first costume thinking it looked "rich". Ugh.

>> No.7556913
File: 92 KB, 1280x720, 38049798275.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7556844
Can anyone tell my of a better way to search for "wide ribbed rib knit"? Something that would work for the cuffs and collar of pic related. Sorry if this is a really stupid question, I just absolutely cannot think of what else to call this and am having trouble finding anything that will work.

>> No.7556925

>>7556913
I'm pretty sure you aren't going to actually find jacket ribbing that wide. You'd probably be better off faking it by pleating your material of choice.

>> No.7556929
File: 234 KB, 688x1019, 008.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I hate to ask this on such basic things, but what are the best kind of fabrics to use on these costumes?

What do I do about that weird pleating in the dress? Or what would y'all recommend for the construction of it in general?

>> No.7556938

>>7556913

You could knit that I think. I've seen it in knitted sweaters

>> No.7556954

>>7556891
I'm looking at making a pretty structured seifuku top and I picked this up the other day: https://www.fabric.com/buy/0313278/kaufman-montauk-twill-pfd-white

I know those feels though. I went through every chain fabric store in my area and couldn't find something I liked at all.

>> No.7556955

Canvas. Or twill. I like heavy, solid fabrics.
>least favorite
fake suede. Terrible to touch, especially against the grain, makes me almost gag. Also, cartoony novelty prints.
Chiffon, or anything sleek and slithery.
Pink satin for a Pokemon gijinka. I ended up sewing it with the wrong side visible because that was less shiny.

>> No.7556960

>>7556925
I'll give that a try and see if it works.
>>7556938
I'm just scared it won't look right with the fabric I have in mind for the rest of the jacket, but I'll look into it some more. Thanks for the suggestion!

>> No.7556995

>>7556929
I don't think it's supposed to be playing so much as a circle skirt. It might help if you have a better reference pic? If it is just gathering, circle skirts are super easy to make.

>> No.7557022
File: 411 KB, 344x713, Princess_Zelda_ALttPFS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7556995
Here ya go

>> No.7557033

>>7557022
Looks to be some variation on cartridge pleating adjusted to be wider at the bottom.

>> No.7557036

>>7556844
just use shiny satin for everything
then you will be noticed
make sure its extra shiny

>> No.7557042

A friend of mine plans to make her entire dress for a cosplay out of white muslin and I don't have enough sewing knowledge to know if she's making a huge mistake or not. Help?

>> No.7557047

>>7557042
mistake. muslin is really thin and not meant for finished garments, just to make a mock up.

>> No.7557053

>>7556954
Wow thanks, that actually looks pretty nice except
>100% cotton
Does it wrinkle bad...?

>> No.7557057

>>7557047
Not necessarily true, there's different types of muslin, and historically it has been used for dresses, shirts, and other clothing. If this girl chose the muslin because it was the cheapest white fabric in the store, then she's in trouble because that's the stuff that is only really meant for mockups. Also it's going to be all cotton and need starch and ironing to look ok every time it's worn.

>> No.7557076

>>7557047
>>7557057
The thinness of it was actually part of the reason she bought it; she's coming to a California con for the first time and I guess she isn't used to the kind of humidity here. I'll tell her to reconsider though. I know she was on a budget and she mentioned something about doubling up the fabric to make it not see through so that worried me.

>> No.7557143

>>7556865
Twills
>least favorite
Velvet and polyester poplin
Vinyl and milliskin matte. I love making futuristic outfits, but this shit just gets jammed up.
I have like 10 yards of white, light blue, and royal poly poplin that I bought for some Eureka 7 cosplays for a friend a couple years back. Never got to it.

>> No.7557197

I can only comment as somebody who sews their own lolita, not a costumer.

Basic go-to for dresses is thick, soft 100% cotton homespun. Best drape - to - thick/softness ratio.
Dress with a transparent (chiffon, etc) layer over it? Make the base poplin, line with something comfortable.

Natural fabrics are softer, more breathable, more expensive, need to be pre-washed for shrinkage.
Synthetic fabrics have pretty varied traits, but as a whole they don't breathe, feel much 'crisper' than natural alternatives, don't stretch/change shape with wear. Synthetics hold dye much better than cotton (Which is why burando feels nicer but runs like a motherfucker.)

>> No.7557201

>>7557197
> Synthetics hold dye much better than cotton
Erm, if I'm not mistaken, it's the opposite. Natural fibers (cotton) do better with dye than synthetics.

>> No.7557209

>>7557201
>>7557197
yeah isn't it a lot easier to dye wool/cotton etc but you have to do even more shit to dye synthetic fabrics?

>> No.7557213

>>7557209
>>7557201
It's easier to dye but it doesn't hold the dye so long.

>> No.7557214

>>7557209
Oh yeah, it's easier, but I mean the actual hold once they're washed and used long-term.

>> No.7557217

>>7557209
Oh, man, shit. I was also talking about patterned/printed inks, not just dying the whole piece, sorry.

>> No.7557221

>>7557197
You are pretty much wrong on all accounts.

>Basic go-to for dresses is thick, soft 100% cotton homespun. Best drape - to - thick/softness ratio.
Most fabrics marketed as "homespun" have a looser weave and coarser texture than others, not as bad as burlap, but similar.

>Natural fabrics are softer, more breathable, more expensive, need to be pre-washed for shrinkage.
>Synthetic fabrics have pretty varied traits, but as a whole they don't breathe, feel much 'crisper' than natural alternatives, don't stretch/change shape with wear. Synthetics hold dye much better than cotton (Which is why burando feels nicer but runs like a motherfucker.)
I think about the only thing right here is that natural fibers tend to breathe better.
-Unless you're comparing silk to cheap costume satin, the costs are about the same depending on the type of fabric.
-Always pretreat your fabric with how you intend to clean it before sewing. If it's dry clean only, overlock the edges on it and take it to the cleaners.
-The softness and drape of a fabric is a result of how thick the threads it is woven from are and the weave itself rather than the fiber.
-As stated by others, natural fibers take dye better. The print running on your burando is a result of a shoddy dye or setting process. With a synthetic the difference is the dye running is less likely to stain other parts of the fabric.

>> No.7557253

I use faux fur a lot, so I get all my recommendations/notices for sales from furry forums.
>not even a furry, just in it for the fabric sales

>>7556865
I fucking love just printed quilting cotton. Quilting weight (with the heavy starching) is the best. It just feels so heavy and is so nice to sew.
>least favorite
Not including obvious fabrics like costume satin and crush velvet... I'm going to have to go with suede. It gets locked up in my ancient sewing machine and it snags on my fingertips (curse these callouses).
Fleece. Touching it sends these weird uncomfortable shivers up my spine, as do cotton balls and some plastic wrappers on ice creams. I have never met anyone with this problem before, and once it is turned into a smaller item the feeling goes away.
For some reason I have like, 3 or 4 yards of a dark gold felt. I must have bought it, but I can't for the life of me remember that, or what I thought I was going to do with it.

>> No.7557303
File: 65 KB, 1280x720, this smile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Double Gauze,Chirimen and Ise cotton
>least favorite
lycra spandex,leather
Chiffon,silk and velveteen
This silky one I have that has butterflies and flowers all over it. I was supposed to use it for a dress but every time I pull it out to start to do something with it my mom comments about how it looks like curtains. And then I just put it away without making a single cut.

>> No.7557535

>>7557217
>>7557214
>>7557213
oh I see, sorry haha!

>> No.7557557

Twill, drill, nice delustered satins, sateen, crepe back satin
>least favorite
Beaded/sequin fabric, shitty lining fabrics that fray everywhere, really light floaty fabrics, tulle
Velvet, faux furs, stretch fabrics (mainly the cutting rather than sewing)
Most of my stash?

>> No.7557578

>>7557557
Anon are you me?

>> No.7557596

>>7557076
It's going to look terrible either way. The muslin she got really sounds like the kind that's meant for drafting, which looks ugly as fuck if you wear it seriously. >>7556054 is something that was drafted out of muslin, to give you an idea for how it looks as a dress.
On the bright side, she can use it to draft her dress, but there are breezy white fabrics that would be a much better choice.

>> No.7557599

>>7557578
No, but at least we're not alone?

>> No.7557601

>>7556865
>tweed and corduroy
>satin and velvet, especially in painful gauche colors
>georgette, rayon and chiffon
>Flannel

>> No.7557603

>>7557601
Oh yeah I forgot linen as one of my favorites. Linen is seriously the best thing since sliced bread.

>> No.7557608

>>7557253
I know that fleecy feel. I can't stand touching fleece, and while I'm okay to use cotton balls, I can't stand reaching into a bag of them.
The only time I get a similar feeling is when I think back to my childhood and remember how awful and weird chewing on the collar of my knitted yarn sweater felt. Never put yarn in your mouth. I squirm just thinking about it.

For someone who is just learning how to sew, what is a good material to begin working with? I want to eventually be able to make clothing, so I was thinking about picking up some cheap muslin for just learning how to work the machine and work with patterns.

>> No.7557613

>>7556913
>>7556925
As someone who had to find ribknit in a very unpopular color, this. Or getting super lucky at a resale shop and gutting a sweater.

>> No.7557615

>>7557608
Avoid jersey at all cost.

>> No.7557619

>>7556913
Interface/Pad box pleats with a smaller rib knit. You'll get the look you need and if you go an extra step with a darker strip in the middle of the pleats, it'll look really nice.

If you sew the wrong side of the pleat, no stitches will show and it will keep the shape. /2cents

>> No.7557629

>>7556865
>>What's your favorite fabric
Cotton twill, sateen, corduroy
>>least favorite
Shitty quality quilting poly-cottons, costume satin; and if trims are allowed, scratchy plastic raschel lace. Also, anything with glitter. Screw that shit. I hate glitter. It's the herpes of the crafts world and makes a mess of my laundry.
>>fabric you like but hate working with
Pretty much any variety of crepe or chiffon
>>fabric you regret buying
Anything that I bought in the last 4 months. Well, not really, but my bank account regrets it. I have probably 12+ yards of really lovely cotton twill and sateen that is just sitting in bags on my floor not being used. I bought most of it on impulse, and I've largely been too sick or unmotivated to do anything with it.

>> No.7557633

>>7557608
Cheap muslin is always good, and if you have a discount fabric store or Savers in your area where you can pick up some nice non-stretch bottom weight cotton fabric, I'd also recommend it. Pretty much anyone can work with cotton and muslin. :)

>> No.7557703
File: 194 KB, 600x800, Morgiana.full.1383350.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7557596
I bugged her a bit about the fabric and from what she said about the weight and price I figured it would be either of these two from Joann

http://www.joann.com/roc-lon-100pct-cotton-bleached-90in-muslin/3558699.html

http://www.joann.com/sew-essentials-bleached-muslin-90in/7793755.html#q=muslin+90&start=2

What would be a better fabric choice? It's for a Morgianna cosplay if that helps any.

>> No.7557720

>>7557703
>it would be ok once washed. gonna need to underline it anyway, even if it's any other white fabric

>> No.7557744

>>7557703
If she can iron properly and it's not too thin she'll probably be ok. IDK why people think CA cons are so hot since I don't think there's a death valley con, most of the rest of the country tends to have hotter summers than we do (and more humid too)

>> No.7557762
File: 87 KB, 800x800, tumblr_n4el8xj2Fy1r37papo1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7556913
>>7556938
Knitting it doesn't seem to be a bad idea. I think it looks decent.

>> No.7557888

>>7557076
>humidity in california
u wot m8

>> No.7557926

>>7557599
Feels good.

>> No.7557958

>>7557253
my mom is the same way with cotton balls. weirdos.

sage for ot

>> No.7557962

>>7557053
no, not really. It's pretty thick. I would avoid wadding it up and throwing it a suitcase, but aside from that it seems pretty fine with just pressing before wearing it.

>> No.7557998
File: 29 KB, 225x350, nonononono.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What fabric would you suggest for this?

>> No.7558048

Love me some wool suiting. Mm. It's worth sewing menswear to get to work with wool suiting, as much as menswear fucking sucks to sew.
>>least favorite
Acetate-y fabrics that slip, slide, fray, and get eaten by the machine.
Silk chiffon, and leather. Leather has literally tried to kill me. If it weren't for the fact that I wear glasses, I literally could be dead, at the very least missing an eye. I had one of my leather needles snap and ricochet off my glasses once. Terrifying experience.
I have about a kimonos worth of absolutely gorgeous textured cream kimono silk that I bought to create a bodice for a costume I ended up never sewing, it cost me $80 and I can't seem to sell it, and I feel terrible because it's this beautiful vintage kimono fabric.

>> No.7558088

>>7557998
I'm using twill for mine (the final black and gold one). You could use cotton sateen or a heavier delustered satin if you want a little sheen, but don't go full on costume satin shiny, and use something medium weight.

>> No.7558098

>>7557619
That's a really good idea, I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks!
>>7557762
I dislike the way it looks, but if I can't figure something better out, I'll teaching myself to knit. Thanks so much!

>> No.7558129

>>7558088
I'm actually not looking to go shiny. I looked up twill online(I'm really fabric stupid) do you think it would work for this too or be too heavy? I'm looking to wear it to otakon so I'm trying to keep it fairly tolerable in the humidity

>> No.7558306

Question about buying faux leather online:
I wan to stay away from the extremely shiny type, I should avoid titles that have the word 'vinyl,' correct?

>> No.7558315

>>7558129
I think it should be okay, especially if it's 100% cotton and therefore breathable. Obviously you want to be going for the lighter to medium weight twills as opposed to like, a really heavy drill/denim which are also twill weave. I have a bad pic of mine so far in the progress thread (not much progress is happening though)

>> No.7558328

>>7558306
Or just make sure what you're buying has the word "matte". I remember back when KH2 had just come out and everyone and their auntie had an Org XIII coat, Sy Fabrics was the go to for faux leather. I used some for my Yazoo from Advent Children costume, had a natural sheen like oiled leather, but wasn't Matrix style PU with the fetish shine.

>> No.7558333

>>7556865
Twill and poplin are always nice to work with, especially good quality polycotton blends
>least favorite
Pleather and vinyl, that one weird suiting fabric I used for a uniform skirt that broke 2 machine needles before I gave up and hand tacked it
Chiffon/organza. Sewing petticoats = kill me. Also spandex.
100% cotton and linen fabrics, every time. I'm a lazy ass and I don't want to iron that much.

>> No.7558337

I know nothing about fabric, so this might be a dumb question but:

What should I use for Link's tunic?

>> No.7558339

>>7558328
Awesome. Thank you.

>> No.7558457

>>7556865
Going with >>7558048 and saying wool. I sews so beautifully and lays so nicely!
>least favorite
Tulle. It's like wrestling air.
Vinyl. It looks so nice for accent pieces and things like that, but it's such a bitch to sew.
This burgundy brocade that I had. It's really pretty, but I have absolutely no use for it. I'll probably just donate it to a school with some other fabrics that I won't be using.

>> No.7558499

First time sewing my own cosplay. To add a nice touch I'm going to hand-embroider some pretty gold designs (leaves and vines) on this red silk sash I'll be wearing. I've embroidered before, but just on fleece for plushies. Is there a special embroidery floss I need for silk? Also, are there any specific techniques that I need to use? Thanks in advance Anons!

>> No.7558529

>>7558315
Thank you so much!

>> No.7558860

I'm sewing using a fairly heavy de-lustered satin and it is puckering like crazy and the seams don't seem to want to stay pressed. Any advice?

>> No.7558909
File: 11 KB, 382x284, 1386952219713.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7556929
>cosplaying old school Zelda
I fucking love you.

>> No.7559022

>>7558860
Change your needle, try a walking foot, adjust tension, adjust pressure foot tension.

>> No.7559038

>>7558860
I had this problem with satin, a smaller needle fixed it.

>> No.7559042
File: 259 KB, 1024x576, pilot_princess_by_teawisp-d659ttb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7556902
>matte spandex materials for a plugsuit
I think they look alright. Matte spandex is certainly a refreshing take on plugsuits, and makes them look less like fetishwear and more like practical/realistic suits.

>>7556929
Maybe the crepe side of crepeback satin for Zelda's overdress, chiffon for her sleeves, and twill for Link's tunic and cap?

>> No.7559049

>>7559042
that is neoprene, not really a 'matte spandex' just fyi

>> No.7559064

>>7559042
I don't like this material for plugsuits, the anime art of them always looked like they were made from something thick and a little stiff because the folds at their wrist and other areas were so prominent. This fabric looks too thin and clingy to appear like a plugsuit to me. I don't like the really shiny ones either but besides the shine, their texture seems accurate.

Then again, as >>7559049 points out, that's a different material to the one anon is actually looking into using, so it might turn out fine.

>> No.7559083

>>7559064
Yeah Neoprene is wet suit material, it has that thickness you are taking about. I've always liked plug suits made out of it, but the above example is really poorly executed.

>> No.7559174

>>7559083
how hard is it to sew neoprene? also do you have any better example of it on a plugsuit? >>7559042
is the only one i have seen

>> No.7559298
File: 51 KB, 552x391, konata thumbs up.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7559022
>>7559038
awesome. I'll do this. Thanks :D

>> No.7559319

>>7559083
Post examples if you've got them, please? I'm really curious to see a well-executed neoprene suit.

>> No.7559996

Do you bother finishing seams on chiffon for costumes? I'm hand rolling the seams to stop fraying but it's just making the seam super obvious and dark through the transparent outer layer...

>> No.7560137

I'm a total fabric noob, what should I be looking for when making a seifuku top?

>> No.7560521
File: 138 KB, 1000x1450, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What type of fabric would you use to make the shinobi sandals from Naruto?
Any help would be awesome!

>> No.7560742

>>7556844
Anon maybe you could take on the task of making a go-to master fabrics directory that has suggestions for costumes from all the information you get from this thread and others.

>> No.7560760

>>7559042
I am having a hard time figuring out if I just hate the fabric itself or how she just isn't the proper weight for it.

>> No.7560766

Do I need to go somewhere special to buy fabric for clothing? I want to try making a skirt and maybe a sundress before working on ~my first cosplay desu~*

>> No.7560777

>>7560766
Not at all. Go to a fabric store and find something you like, paying attention to stretch and drape. If you're really uncertain, the pattern should have suggested fabrics so you can go with that, or ask someone who works there to help you (or both, that works as well).

>> No.7560797

>>7560777
There's only a Joanns around here butI seem to only see quilting fabric there. I guess I'll have to actually ask someone for help now!

>> No.7560809

>>7560797
Sorry, I guess I didn't really understand your question completely. We don't have Joann's here, but from what I've heard from /cgl/, they should definitely have fabrics you can use for clothes.

>> No.7560971

Dupioni silk and medium weight linen
>least favorite
Brocade. I think it looks tacky as hell.
Leather. Everything is so tough that even simple things are hard. You also can't mess up cause ripping seams leaves holes.
This grey felt I got to embroider on. What the hell do I use felt for.

Does anyone know a good site to get wool of varying weights on?

>> No.7560988

>>7560137
Cotton or polycotton blend, go for a plain weave with no stretch, something like a decent broadcloth or poplin (not the scratchy feeling $2/m stuff, a price basket higher is usually okay), interfacing for the collar.

>>7560521
Canvas or denim, maybe?

>>7558337
To me it looks like it's a heavy wool, the sort of weight you'd use for coats and jackets. I would see if you could find a cheaper poly blend rather than going with wool though. You want something that will drape rather than crease, so avoid heavy twill weave fabrics like canvas and thick denim, a lighter weight should be fine.

>>7558499
No special thread needed, but you may want a hoop or something to stabilise the fabric and pull it tight. Fleece and plushes are an entirely different ball game to flat fabric so i suggest googling the basics again for tips. If it's pure silk as opposed to poly "silk" satin, you could splash for fancy thread, but I think regular embroidery floss is ok.

>>7559996
Fray check, French seam, Hong Kong finish, or bound seam.

>> No.7561354

>>7560988
>decent broadcloth
Thanks for the reply anon! Just wondering how to tell broadcloth apart? My local fabric store has an awesome color selection for broadcloth but I can't tell if there's a difference between them. I can get them for a pretty good price too when it goes on sale so I'm assuming it's on the cheaper end?

>> No.7561365
File: 655 KB, 300x169, h85043.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Really learning to love twill
>Least favorite
I'm personally scared of vinyl
>Fabric you like but hate working with
Faux fur. Even if you don't need to cut it, it's still a bitch to sew, even hand-sew.
>Fabric you regret buying
I got broadcloth for a skirt and I have no idea why. Thankfully I lost all drive to make that cosplay anyway.

I'm prewashing bottomweight cotton and it frayed like a bitch in the washer. Prewashing is so scary for me, I really need to stop being lazy and serge/fraycheck the edges beforehand.

>> No.7561369

>>7561354
Go by touch and look. If it's super see through, super wrinkly/creased on the roll, scratchy feeling, etc it's not gonna be great. Think about how a decent cotton dress shirt feels - that's what you want it to be like ideally, but as long as it's not totally crap you should be fine.

>> No.7561373

>>7561369
This guide may help! Obviously the fabrics discussed are "shirtweight" as things like twill and denim definitely come in much heavier versions designed for pants etc.
http://propercloth.com/reference/dress-shirt-fabrics/

>> No.7561378

Sateen and twill
>least favorite
Fucking spandex and those bridal satins that just fray like mad while you're working with them
Thin, sheer fabrics. So delicate and pretty, but so finicky.
I have about a dozen meters of things I bought because the lighting in the shop was poor. They turned out to be the wrong colours. Things like dark pink instead of red, aqua instead of sky blue.

>> No.7561384

>>7561378
Oh, I forgot: I hate that thin polyester that they sell as "lining fabric". Doesn't breathe, frays like a bitch, etc. I just wait until cotton broadcloth is on sale and use that for lining.

>> No.7561404

Sateen, twill, bridal satin, moleskin, vinyl, leather, dupioni

>least favorite
Any kind that falls apart if you look at it or if it's really messy as you cut it e.g. plushes/furs/velvet

Sheers, super stretchy ones like spandex/lycra.

Dark blue faux suede. I only have 5 yards (60" wide) left at this point. It was on sale, I got a little crazy.

>> No.7561427

Coutil, of course.

>least favorite
Woven/embroidered polyesters, like brocade. Yech.

Dupioni silk - it just shows every wrinkle and rumple and I hate having to stabilize it every time I use it.

Man, I bought all this lace-print cotton in a few variations that match to make loli-style dresses, but that phase of my life has passed and it is not something I would wear now.

Has anyone worked with silk jersey? I'd like to know how it differs from regular cotton/tshirt jersey. It is too expensive to buy and play with!

>> No.7561442

>>7556865
regular cotton and chiffon
>>least favorite
fleece
bridal tule, especially when I have 3m x 10m, it's a hell cutting
a thick double layer tartan fabric in dark green. I still haven't used it, I was planning on using it on a skirt, but realized after I bought it, that I already have a skirt in that color.

>> No.7561444

>>7561384
Have you tried crepe back satin for lining? That's good when you need the slip for stuff like blazers and coats, but so much easier to work with

>> No.7561464
File: 78 KB, 214x344, sukiref.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any ideas for what sort of fabric would work for Suki (last airbender).
I've seen cosplays that use silks and cosplays that use polycotton (I think) but I'm new to picking fabrics.

>> No.7561518
File: 38 KB, 480x350, LustArtwork2003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any ideas for Lust?
I dont want to use velvet, i think it would be too shiny, i would like it to be tight and stretchy enough to make the claw gloves

>> No.7561529
File: 84 KB, 800x450, mad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7561518

That's not how velvet works. That's not how velvet works AT ALL.

>> No.7561530

>>7561518
Matte spandex/lycra

>>7561464
I think a light twill would be easier to work with and hold shapes better than broadcloth or poplin. See >>7561373 for guidance on some of the differences

>> No.7563398
File: 636 KB, 971x1035, alibaba reference.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Totally a noob when it comes to fabrics, what would you suggest for this? Also where is a place to get fabric in the US east coast

>> No.7563420

>>7561518
seconding this question because i need ideas

>> No.7563444
File: 353 KB, 449x948, Eirika.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm trying to make these boots, but I'm not sure what kind of fabric to use. I feel like a matte stretch vinyl would look the most bootlike, but I can't find anything fitting that. Any other suggestions? Thank you.

>> No.7563506

Sup seagulls, I am trying to translate our skit into English and I need some help from the community. Please tell me 2 fabrics which share the title of Shitty Fabric. The worst you can use for cosplay, probably the cheapest one.

Thank you!

>> No.7563601

>>7558048
If you're still around, would you mind posting a picture of the kimono fabric? I'm at the tail end of one of my semiregular kimono binges where anything related is super fascinating to me. I'd love to see if it's not too much bother!

>> No.7563619

>>7563506
shiny lining fabric? maybe felt????

>> No.7563620

>>7563506
2 terrible fabrics?
Costume satin wins in worst for costumes and among the cheapest.
Crushed velvet, broadcloth, and muslin are terrible for costumes too (muslin is only used for drafting).

>> No.7563680

>>7563620
Haha, satin is used in our skit gag as well. Okay, hope
>Surrender to these truths, you pigs in satin and broadcloth!
won't sound too awkward for a native speaker and one will be able to get a joke.
thank you!
>>7563619
Well, we need a strict term, guess I've got my answer anyway, thank you.

>> No.7563886

>>7563620
Nice broadcloth and garment quality muslins are actually really beautiful.

>> No.7565372
File: 347 KB, 768x1024, faux-fur-wrap-a001-ivory-front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry for a noob question but where can I find some high quality faux fur? I'm making the fur wrap thing in the pic.

>> No.7565379

>>7563886
Yeah, but the cheap ones are terrible yet I've seen both used in costumes seriously.

>>7563680
Kill la Kill reference? Interesting.

>> No.7565758
File: 965 KB, 1000x1698, DSCN4109.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7563601
I only just read this, but here you go. One of those fabric that photographs don't do justice to. It's just beautiful.

>> No.7570204

>>7565758
Thanks! It looks wonderful. If only I had a project in mind, I'd buy it off you. Hope something good ends up happening with it!