[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 22 KB, 396x343, nails.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7541290 No.7541290[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I asked here a couple weeks ago on the beauty thread but the thread soon died and no one answer.

My nails are REALLY thin and I can't make them stronger, everytime they grew a little bit, they break.
I tried using fake nails (I bought on ebay a bulk of acrylic nails) and I have put them with industrial glue (yeah, bad idea) but they just pop out as I have glue them with wood glue.
I followed this tutorial http://www.blacksaliva.org/2011/10/nail-tips-how-to-part-12.html

I cant afford a nail artis atm, what do you suggest?

>> No.7541297

My nails are really brittle, sometime last year I got really into nail polish and did a new coat of paint every week.
The nail polish remover really damaged my nail, even though I used acetone free ones.
I haven't been painting my nails very often anymore, but the surface is still peeling a lot, especially at the edge. This leads to lots of broken nails too.
I've been using essie's millionails base coat formula to help strengthen it and protect it, but not sure if it's working. Tips?

>> No.7541321

I'm obsessed with my nails, but I'm no cosmetician, so take my advice with a grain of salt:

My nails are relatively strong, but they cannot grow past a certain length, they crack at the edges and then break all the way through. To ensure they don't break, I keep them at roughly the same length. I don't use nail clippers, I only file my nails. I push my cuticles and moisturize them every time I change my nail polish (which is 2-3 times a week).

I also make an effort not to do things that would damage my nails. I don't use my nails to open things, or scratch things, and I avoid soaking my nails in water whenever I can (this is slightly problematic because I work as a facepainter, and my fingers are constantly in our water cups).

While I don't need it, I've used Nail Tek base coat to grow my nails. My mother and sister, who have weak nails, swear by it.

My nails almost always have polish on them. I've spent the last 4 years getting really good at nail art. Now I don't think I'd let a nail technician near my fingers now, because I'd do a better job for much less.

When you say "break" what do you mean? Do your nails crack along the edges? Do they flake off? There are ways to do minor repairs on your nails so your don't have to constantly chop them off.

>> No.7541422

>>7541297
You might try buffing your nails. I know when my nails flake, I can usually buff out the worst of the flakes.

>> No.7541423

Nail health can be a reflection of nutrition as well. Biotin and adequate protein intake are important although it'll take a month at least to see the effects since your existing Nala aren't effective

>> No.7541429

>>7541423
Wtf phone. *Existing nails aren't affected by your diet since they grow from the bed and are already dead keratin.

>> No.7541431

>>7541429
That was a glorious auto correct.

>> No.7541516

>>7541321
>When you say "break" what do you mean?
They area REALLY thin so when they grow, they easilly break. It can be due to peeling or just breaking from different angles.

>>7541423
>reflection of nutrition.
Im really healthy, never had nutrition issues ! I have this problem since I can remember. I have already talked to a medic and It told me that some people just have 'bad nails' aka lack of calcium on them :/

I dont want super-size gyaru nails, I just want to have cute ones to paint haha

>> No.7541523

m-maybe you girls should t-talk about your toenails

>> No.7541529

>>7541523
this is why girls dont like u

>> No.7541534
File: 100 KB, 472x340, 1348954067955.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7541529

>> No.7541535

>>7541523
fungus fungus ingrown bunion hammer toe
>does that get you hot

>> No.7541538

>>7541535
>implying girls' feet get dirty

>> No.7541539

>>7541516
It can't hurt to evaluate your protein intake, maybe bump it up a bit to try and help. Things like bananas, eggs, fatty fish (salmon), and nuts are good for that. That being said, some people just can't grow good nails because of their genetics. You can also try a product like OPI Nail Envy, worked for a friend of mine.

>> No.7541548

>>7541516
I also have really thin nails, and what helps me is 1) being sure I eat enough protein (I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat a lot of meat still, so sometimes I lack in that area) and 2) painting your nails actually really helps (even if it's just a clear coat), because it keeps water from touching them, which will weaken them further.
Sally Hansen has some good strengthening polishes - you can check them out here:
>http://www.sallyhansen.com/nails/strength-growth
The only one I personally can say stay away from is the Complete Care 4-in-1...didn't help me and just flaked off within an hour. I have a top coat that's a strengthener, but I'm looking at buying one of the ones in the link above at some point.

I also have issues with biting my nails if I break them, so I keep a nail file with me at all times, which makes breaks less catastrophic in the end.

>> No.7541616

I had the same kind of nails and I used OPI Nail Envy (I'm pretty sure that was the name...) to strengthen my nails.

>> No.7542230

>>7541290
i use X-TREME Growth Activator: Strengthen and Grow from Kiss nails, my nails are thin and flimsy, but it helps. Not as thick as a regular topcoat so it flakes after washing my hands a few times, i apply it normally 2 times a day.

>> No.7542248

>>7541290

That shit is disgusting, stop that fake/colored nail shit. That shit is GROSS and unattractive.

>> No.7542251
File: 442 KB, 1280x1707, tumblr_ms7df2CXdy1rf00guo1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7542248
b-but i like kawaii nailz anon ;_;
how about.....these?

>> No.7542259

>>7541290
My nails used to be really brittle too, so I started painting them with a nail strengthening clear polish. I found that it really helped with my nails. As for your diet, check you're getting enough iron.

>> No.7542281

>>7541290
Acrylic nails can actually weaken your natural nails

>> No.7542352

I have a lot of nail problems and they always look gross, and it's hindering the completeness of my outfits so any advice would be great.

Firstly, my nails are extremely short, not the white part, I mean the actual part attached to the finger. I don't even have any lunulas. For the past year I've been pretty consistent in pushing cuticles back and it has improved it somewhat but honestly it's not doing much. Is this just a patience game or have I achieved as much as I'm ever going to?

Secondly, hangnails and hard bits of skin at the edges non stop. The edges I can't seem to find a definitive cause for these so what's the best way to deal with them?

Lastly, they grow in a weird shape that makes them prone to splitting. The white part is never as wide as the pink part so they get caught on things all the time. I know you're not supposed to clip the sides but it's the only way I can make them have a smooth edge that doesn't catch on everything. This honestly doesn't help much because I can't grow them more than a few mm before they split. So any advice on this would be really welcome, if only on how to make sure I'm doing as little damage as possible.

>> No.7542354

>>7542248
fatty hand chan confirmed. mad that nails won't help your disgusting nubs~?

>> No.7542355

>>7542248
>not liking sparkly claws

>> No.7542708

>>7542352
For your hangnails, use cuticle oil or moisturizer. Different people swear by different ones, I personally just use vitamin E oil nightly. It won't make a difference instantly, but you'll see a difference over a few weeks.

If you're prone to picking at them, cover that shit up with a band aid so you don't see it/can't feel it.

As for your nails themselves, you may just have awful nails. Keep them short, keep a nail file handy, and find cute manicures for short nails.

>> No.7542717

>>7542352
I also get those hard bits of skin at the edges and I either use a nail file to file them away or I clip them off with my nail clippers if it's possible. Also make sure to buy a cuticle oil, they help with a lot of problems.

>> No.7542721

>>7542259
Thank you, ill see that :)

Is there any 10/10 nail glue? I used industrial glue but surprise, it ruined my nails. I used it because I was tired of my fake nails popping like they were glued with wood glue, but at the end, the result was the same, they wont stay on my nails.

>> No.7542726

>>7542352
i have weirdly shaped nails to (from biting them for ages) and what helps them look nice most is to paint them with an opaque color so you can't see the difference between the white and pink part, and then shaping them. that way you won't use your wonky nail line as a guide for cutting/filing.
for hangnails moisturize them with nail oil at least in the mornings and before bed

>> No.7542734

Does anyone have any favorites they would recommend for acrylics? I'm looking for some matte red stiletto nails but most of what I'm finding is sketch Chinese ebay shit or lots of 100+ nails (I only need one set).

>> No.7542761

>>7542734
You can always buy a set, paint it red and then use matte top coat. Definitely a few more steps, but that would work.

>> No.7542806

>>7542761
Yeah, I'll probably end up doing this. Easier than trying to find the exact right color and style - thanks for the suggestion.

>> No.7542819

>>7542721

Are you roughing up your nails surface with a nail file before you put the glue on? That may be why they wont stick, they cant stick on a flat, smooth surface all that well.

>> No.7545076

>>7542819
I did but that + the glue ruined my nails. I had to let them rest for like 2 weeks before I could apply nail polish.

>> No.7546050
File: 468 KB, 500x375, the horror.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7541321
>changing nail polish 2-3x a week

aiya you are committed

>> No.7546054

>be me
>chronic nail biter
>nails weak as fuck, even when they manage to grow out

I eat fish more than any other meat, take vitamins (including hair skin and nails), tried quitting nail biting, tried nail oil and some sally hensen Xtreme hard nails, nothings made it any better, except the vitamins, and it's not really enough.

I just want nails that shine like justice

>> No.7548827

My nails are pretty weak too. I just go get Gelish or Calgel done one a month or so, often using Groupons. With the gel on they manage to grow to the length I like. Just dont get Acrylic tips, those will fuck your nails up.
When I don't have gel on I use OPI's Nail Envy and I swear it works wonders.

>> No.7549205

This is kind of a weird and very long-term suggestion for those of you with weak nails, but try buying a stress ball and squeeze it constantly. Like anytime you have the chance to fidget with your hands or pick at your nails otherwise, squeeze a stress ball or even flex your fingers into a fist repeatedly. Enough that if you have naturally cold extremities, they get warm and stay warm for a while.

The idea is that if your fingers/hands are in constant motion, they'll be warm and have better blood flow, hence more nutrients to your nails in general. It won't do much in the immediate short term, but if you keep at it consistently it may be able to help. And doing stuff just like texting and typing at a keyboard won't be enough; it needs to be fairly rigorous, continuous movement involving the entire hand (and ideally the arm as well).

I'm a professional massage therapist, and all my classmates from school and my coworkers at the spa need to cut their nails at least a couple times a week if not more because of how often we use our hands. I can never have long nails anyway though due to the nature of my work, so I hope this helps someone out there (who's really patient and diligent) to have happy, pretty nails in my stead!

>> No.7549219

>>7549205
Would knitting work for this kind of thing? I've not done it in a while but if it'll help my nails look nicer then I might pick it up again and knit my boyfriend a sweater this summer as well as some other stuff.

>> No.7549230

>>7549219
It certainly wouldn't hurt to try, as far as I can tell. Plus you'd be productive and making stuff too.

>> No.7549236

>>7549230
I'll do that and the stress ball thing too, can't hurt to do both. I know what I'll be giving out for christmas gifts this year haha.