[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 19 KB, 406x610, imagejpeg_2dh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7538521 No.7538521 [Reply] [Original]

I plan on cosplaying for the first time and I am thinking of choosing Jon Snow. Has anyone else cosplayed as him before and have any tutorials or tips on going through with this? I don't want to spend a ton, but I understand it probably won't be cheap to cosplay as him, considering he has an awful lot he wears. I appreciate any helpful feedback, thanks.

>> No.7538534

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jon+snow+cosplay

It breaks my heart to see these threads sometimes, because as much as I want to encourage new cosplayers often choices are just totally out of a beginner's league. GoT has a huge budget for costumes and these are made by professionals, so you're really aiming for a level of detail much higher than some animu/mango cosplay.

However, if you're really set on Jon Snow, I'm sure you can work something out.

It's easier to search for tutorials for individual parts, so look at the outfit and try to figure out how it's put together first, individual items, layers, etc. Gather as many screenshots and references as you can if you care about accuracy, because live action costumes are usually more complex than you'd first think.

There's also probably write ups out there or pictures from the costumes in exhibitions, someone else might be able to direct you on those.

If you want something that looks anywhere near like the original, you'll be looking at a lot of high quality materials (leather, wool) that'll cost you a fair buck. But if you're looking more for a "oh yeah, I can tell that's Jon Snow" look even as a newbie you should manage, especially with the GoT hype at the moment and his distinctive hair+cloak.

I can't really help you with anything else that google couldn't, so go and poke around as much as you can. Other cosplayers might have posted how they did things, WIP shots, anything would help you. But that's really your job and not ours! You won't learn anything otherwise.

We also have a regular help thread here when you have more specific questions regarding construction when you're ready.

>> No.7538556

>>7538534

Wow. Thank you so much, haha. That was a much more helpful answer than I was expecting. I will take your advice and see what others have been doing. Once again, thank you for taking the time to help me out.

>> No.7538612

However you end up making the parts (first anon has some great advice for you), please carry a stuffed wolf with you as Ghost.

>> No.7538631
File: 383 KB, 535x804, jonsnow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7538612
tru, everyone loves the little ghost

>> No.7538640

>>7538612
Will do! Do you think its a must to have a sword too? I was thinking of just making the handle and keeping it sheathed

>> No.7539787

You an literally just buy it from HBO

>> No.7539791

>>7538631
Aw you're a cute Jon. Did you change your wig? It looks better than previous photos

>> No.7539801

>>7539791
nah just combed it more and wasnt sweating as hard as sdcc.

>> No.7539811
File: 53 KB, 640x480, jon snow cape.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made a Jon Snow cape for my brother. Cost about $120 if I remember correctly, but it turned out good, in my opinion.

inb4 "but it's supposed to be black fur!" I was doing Winterfell!Sansa, so I made his as Winterfell!Jon.

Used McCall's M4698 as a base with black wool, went and got rabbit fur from the local leather shop. They had plenty of black fur, so it shouldn't be too hard to come by. Attached with snaps underneath the inside of the collar, so that way they're removable for cleaning the cape. Wool was just from JoAnns.

It looks better in full body pictures, but my brother doesn't allow pictures of his cosplays tagged on his FB and I only have ones of him sitting on the iron throne. That, and I got the rest of the costume commissioned and it is not flattering. Will remake it myself when I have time.

>> No.7539841

This is advanced for a beginner, and frankly I wouldn't recommend it as a first project. It's hard to skimp or be budget conscious with materials when the character wears a lot of real leather, wool, and fur, and you may end up spending a lot on materials and not be satisfied with the outcome. If you're really attached to the character, and want to do it now, you might want to consider getting it done professionally. Otherwise, maybe consider a few easier projects to get a feel for clothing construction, working with leather and fur, and distressing fabrics.

>> No.7539843
File: 684 KB, 699x5561, 1FhbUVr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Cape Tutorial.

>> No.7539880

not op but this thread was hella helpful for a lurker
thank you based cgl

>> No.7540412

>>7539787
I don't think it is the full attire. it looks like only the peascod and that's it

>> No.7540423

>>7538631
>>7538631
i hope you are still hanging around here...

I am currently looking at two cloaks, one is polyester, the other is velvet. They are both rather thin, do you think the material is decent enough to add black mongolian faux fur to on the shoulders?

Also, do you think it is possible to attach the two belts you have around your chest to either of these cloaks? Not sure how you attached yours..

thanks