[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 930 KB, 500x303, tumblr_inline_n3j5dhb8v41rol0nc.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7536713 No.7536713 [Reply] [Original]

I'm a Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence Counselor and I also go to cons. I'm trained in working 24-hour crisis hotlines and I was thinking of offering my services to the con. Do you think a convention would be willing to give someone at least a free badge if they agree to be on-call every minute from opening to closing ceremonies, for both in-person and over-the-phone crisis management?

Pic semi-unrelated as I would not eat anyone

>> No.7536719

>>7536713
It's called a Professional badge or even a staff badge and no it's not free.

>> No.7536733

I doubt this would work. If you have a situation you're supposed to contact staff or the authorities.

>> No.7536740

>>7536733
Yeah, sorry, but what you're offering sounds like a legal nightmare. I doubt cons would want you to do that for free, much less offer you free shit in return.

>> No.7536743

>>7536733
I heard horror story after horror story about how cons staff has no idea how to treat people who get harassed, hit, groped or (god forbid) assaulted at a con.

>> No.7536755

>>7536713
> be a guy
> girl invites you back to her room and legit tries to hold you down and make you have sex with her
> tell the con
> they take her badge but not without pretty much laughing in your face
> no one to talk to who doesn't find the situation funny

wish you were there op

>> No.7537242

>>7536755
Most people who work in the industry that OP does don't take sexual assault of males seriously either.

>> No.7537761

>>7537242
I keep hearing this but not experiencing it. Maybe it's a regional thing?

>> No.7538187

>>7536740
Wouldn't having a trained professional on staff protect you a lawsuit, not cause one? They know whether or not to call the authorities, how to deal with them, whether or not to go to the hospital, what kinda of language to use...

>> No.7538245

No. This is stupid. If you're looking into this because you're genuinely worried about sexual assault in a convention setting, leave cards and flyers in easily accessible places around the cons you go to so that it's available if someone actually needs help. If you're just trying to use your irrelevant career to weasel out a free badge, stfu and pay $40 like the rest of us.

>> No.7538283

>>7536713
I doubt it. Why not join the convention as a staff member though?

>>7536743
None really do, when some of my meeker female friends wear costumes that show skin I usually have to be around to prevent them from getting harassed and groped. It gets even worse in the evening when people start drinking.

>> No.7538297

>>7538187
A con isn't generally responsible for the mental wellbeing of its attendees, but if it offered that service, suddenly it would be. One bit of bad advice from OP and lawsuits aplenty.

Sorting out an arrangement with OP's workplace to take the responsibility/liability could work, but not just handing a pass to a them.

>> No.7538298

I think it's a good idea

>> No.7538427

>>7536713
Staff might deem your services not to be related enough to conventions. Doubtlessly, sexual assault does happen at conventions too but a convention area is a place where you can have the offenders kicked out which is the staff's duty and the staff would probably not understand the necessity to offer more help in the situation.

However, I think you could ask to hold an advisory panel for the staff, instructing them on how to handle situations of assault and how to help the victim of such and how to deal with violence between people in a relationship if it happens at a convention.
Also, do offer a number to call later.

Like this, you can share your knowledge, prepare the staff to intervene the situation while also having the convention to yourself and probably a badge as a reward for you sharing your expert knoledge. Win/win situation.

>> No.7540112

>>7536713
you wut mate?

>> No.7540136

OP, offering your services, as other anons have stated, would open up legal issues and make a mess of things. Remember, the convention community is rife with mentally unstable people, and I'm not trying to undermine sexual assault victims, but realize that it's almost a weekly thing where teens run around lying about sexual assault for attention (no I am not talking about girls blaming exes or anything like that, I am talking about those 13 year old girls who blog about false rape and assault for e-hugs and shit which is very common) and if that leaks into real life you are in a load of shit because parents are brought in and you are stuck attending court as a witness. The same thing will happen in real life assault cases if charges are brought in, and I don't know if a free badge is worth traveling around the country to be a witness in assault cases, anon. Yes I'm offering extreme examples but they could happen.

I'd say just do the current trendy thing at cons and do a 'Cosplay is not consent' panel that all those hot female cosplayers are doing, while ironically wearing skimpy costumes.

>> No.7540151

>>7540136
wait, what's ironic about that?

>> No.7540155

>>7540151
I don't know anon. I'm tired and was thinking about it in the context of Alanis Morissette's 'Ironic'

>> No.7540798

As a convention organisor myself, we have this thing covered by our personel. I think that any convention with an attendance of, lets say, a 1000 should have their main people and stewards/security trained on the basic handling.

I would not be averse to any help in this area, but rather than being there for the singular case that might happen, you might supply a training/meeting with the personel on site. They absorb the first blow and from there they will have to hand it over to the profesionals unrelated to the convention.

>> No.7540813

>>7540136
If you find their skimpy outfits ironic you should actually visit their panels. Gods, your whole post reads like a bottle of male tears.

>> No.7541854
File: 977 KB, 245x140, tumblr_mxxdfe7OPd1r00543o1_250.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7540136
>teens run around lying about sexual assault for attention
Study after study has shown that the false report rate for sexual assault is the same as literally any other crime
>you are stuck attending court as a witness
Therapists don't have to testify. It's confidential

You know nothing.

>> No.7541890

>>7541854
Maybe you shouldn't hang around anime cons, because you know nothing about the shitty kinds of people they attract. Also, OP idea is stupid, and you should go back to tumblr instead of hoping to mooch a free pass.

>> No.7541895

>>7541854
There's a difference between false reporting, and faking a claim on your blog or to your friends. I believe anon was talking about the latter.

False reports are usually done for money or revenge and you ahve to be really dedicated to the lie in order to go through the whole process, hence why reports are so low. However anybody can say 'boo hoo i was molested' on their blog for asspats.

>> No.7541920

>>7538427
I agree with this sort of angle.
OP, I think your intent is really good, just I don't think it would work to execute it the way that you first explained it. I think though if you approached cons asking them if you could give their staff a sort of rudimentary crash course training in how to handle these situations, and help them create protocol for volunteer staff to follow, it would work.

>> No.7547657

>>7536713
I'm a con division head. We'd totally want you there, but we would rather you be somewhere specific for X amount of time rather than "on call." If you were in the Ops room from say 10pm to 3am each night, that would be a done deal.

>> No.7547661

>>7536755

What are you, gay?

>> No.7547671

If someone is sexually assaulted should they not, oh I don't know, CALL THE POLICE IMMEDIATELY then go for counselling?

The police can conduct a prelim interview and collect clothing to send off for DNA samples that will result in a conviction. If 20 people have hugged the poor victim before the police have arrived that's 20 more DNA profiles to eliminated. Sorry to be harsh but fukkers who perpetrate sex crimes should get their arse nailed to the wall. Counselling is definitely required but would not be the first point of call for the victim.

>> No.7547681
File: 12 KB, 155x122, 1371349558696.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7547661
I'm a straight guy and I've been called gay almost every time I turn down a girl. Funny how a lot of women go straight to that excuse "Must be gay it can't possibly be that I'm a disgusting hairy hambeast-landwhale"

>> No.7547689

Sounds like you're trying to make a dime into a euro. I say that because it isn't exactly related and you'd have to really sell your idea in order for it to even get past the first ask. As it is you'd have to really present your idea to a board/group of decision makers. To me, I would think they'd be alarmed at the issues and go for creating a safer convention environment rather than taking steps to cope with a bad environment. You are asking a group of people who are fans of anime to take steps via a free badge to prepare for rape/violence/suicide/etc when they are simply a 2-5 day convention and not a city, town, school, or anything of a more permanent nature. There are authorities in place in every city for a reason, and they can handle these situations just as well as anyone with a free badge.

TL;DR Hell no you fucking idiot, they have shit like that handled by the local authorities, which are abundant.

>> No.7547691

>>7547689
from the amount of work needed to convince someone he'd be better off just buying a damn badge.

>> No.7547700

Why would any convention waste money on you when these things almost never happen?

Almost all the stories you hear never happened.
Nobody will give you a badge so you can hear a slut wearing a schoolgirl outfit whinning that some ugly guy was staring at her.

>> No.7547790

>>7547689

Heh heh, isn't it a bit early in the morning to be dispensing adult common sense? ;)

And yeah. If you aren't a trained professional in this, there's no need for that in the context of a con. The only message you'd be putting out is that sexual assault happens a lot, when often times they're isolated incidents taken very seriously by conventions.

Source: I staff these things

>> No.7548010
File: 99 KB, 612x612, me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I proposition cosplay hotties for sex without sexually harassing them? I'm going to do it, but I just don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable or assaulted

>> No.7552079

>>7536713

What do you even do?