[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 8 KB, 251x232, 1342586265379.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7511536 No.7511536[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey, I'm interested in starting my own shop. I've glanced at etsy, but that's geared towards primarily handmade crafts and I want to make some items, but ultimately sell goods (accessories & hard to find beauty products) from Korea and Japan.

-Luxury handmade Korean herbal soaps from a boutique in Seoul
-Rilakkuma & Hello Kitty stationary, hand bags, wallets etc
-Sterling silver jewelry & high-end lazer cut Korean brand name acrylic jewelry
-(Personally designed) customized beanies and hats with either swarovski crystals or lazer cut acrylic letters
-Decoden mirror compacts
-Japanese capsule toys (still sealed) Rilakkuma phone charms & Hello Kitty phone charms, possibly even other popular Anime ones if its available.
-Perhaps even some personally designed graphic t-shirts as well

I would like to include makeup/cosmetic samples with every order or orders over a certain dollar amount value, possibly even some sweets, even a coupon code for returning customers.

Could anyone suggest a good place for opening shop. Feed back is greatly appreciated!

>> No.7511565

You could try storenvy, but a lot of people tend to avoid that place since many shops are known for being overpriced.

Other than that, open up an eBay shop.

>> No.7511572

Do storenvy and slightly overprice your shit anyways.
Tumblr girls will buy your stuff.

(then subtly drop your store on cgl occasionally)

>> No.7511578

>>7511565
Storevny, I've heard of it. Is it heavily tech savvy? My knowledge is pretty basic when it comes to storefront design or should I not bother with such stuff?

eBay, I could give that a whirl. I'm a little scared of that place to be honest, because I don't want people thinking I'm selling knock off goods or anything. Also is it safe for sellers?

>> No.7511585

>>7511572
I'm looking at Storevny's set up right now. It actually doesn't look too bad. Perhaps, I can do something like you suggested and do an exclusive /cgl/ discount, like 15-20% off. So, when I drop my link, people can e-mail me for a discount code.

>> No.7511597

>>7511578
Pretty sure it's not tech savy.
Also doesn't require a fee to sell, unlike etsy.
But you definitely have some easy customization options, like:
http://kazehime.storenvy.com/ (or see storenvy thread for inspo)

For ebay, pretty sure people will believe you if you just say AUTHENTIC and that you get your stock straight from Korea/Japan.

>> No.7511617
File: 71 KB, 500x339, 5237598332_e30e587405.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7511536
I also don't mind feed back on things people might like to purchase either or if anything sounds like a good/bad idea.

I was thinking about custom key-chains with various charms hanging from them (maybe even add K-pop idols??). Maybe do a zodiac series going by birthstone color and arrange a set of 3-5 charms around that.

Maybe include sticker bundles and various other stationery stuff.

Would anyone be interested in Hello Kitty and Rilakkuma plates, mugs, cups, cutlery sets including chopsticks, bento boxes?

Maybe with each purchase add a few samples of skincare, some candy and a company sticker or is the sticker cheesy?

>> No.7511623

>>7511597
Oh wow, that's awesome. I dig the set up a lot. I can definitely work with that. Thank you anon so much for the link.

Also, all of the licensed stuff has special hologram stickers on them as well to prove authenticity of the brand. So, I suppose that helps as well.

>> No.7511634
File: 354 KB, 250x130, happyball.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7511617
I think key-chain and charm market is pretty saturated already, so unless you have some great ideas, avoid it.
Would totally be interested in plates and mugs and cutlery and shit.
I think skincare samples are great! Maybe not candy though. If you're doing company sticker, make sure it's very well designed and the logo is subtle. No one wants a sticker that screams "KAWAII WING SHOPPE" in impact font.

Other ideas: Cute circle lens cases, desk organizers, make-up organizers?
Browse storenvy a lot and see what other sellers sell.
Then sell whatever they don't sell. Nothing's worse than selling tattoo socks and competing with 20 other established sellers.
Resell some taobao stuff, maybe. Just make sure it's not the usual things that we can find on ebay/aliexpress.
Mybe some Creer Beaute makeup (or similar Jap/Kor brands)? They do anime collabs so that's bound to be popular. I'm pretty keen on getting the Creer Beaute Sailor Moon eyeliner soon!

>>7511585
>exclusive /cgl/ discounts
You're so sweet anon ;_;

>>7511623
Oh also, taking your own pictures instead of using stock pictures is another great way to make yourself more trustworthy.

Sorry if this is a lot of information anon! Kind of getting excited for you.

>> No.7511701
File: 10 KB, 300x300, img-thing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7511634
Thank you so much for the feed back.

The idea I had for the key-chains would be either a gold or silver attachment option and have a zodiac charm, perhaps some crystal charms associated with the color of your zodiac. A dyed pompom and a stuffed animal kinda like the one I posted in my previous post here >>7511617. All of this would be attached to this one lobster claw, that can be used to accessorize a backpack or purse.

Yeah, I think the plates and various other eatery items would be a good idea and often not really seen.

Skincare samples yes, candy no. Gotcha! I was thinking along those lines for the company sticker. Maybe have the store name on the under outline of the image in fine print.

If I can find some really nice, good quality contact cases. Then, I will add those as well. I don't want to resell cheap stuff.

Should I sell other stationary/desk organizer stuff other than Rilakkuma and Hello Kitty? I know of a place that sells really, really nice stuff like that. But its a bit more pricey.

You think makeup is a good way to go? I was going to avoid that stuff entirely and only sell boutique, organic facial soups that are hand crafted in Korea and Japan. They make these really awesome soaps for skin lightening, wrinkles...whatever skin problem you think you have. They sell it and it has exotic luxury products inside them: Pearl Powder, Snail Essence, Royal Jelly etc

Yes, taking my own pictures is VERY important. Maybe add my company stick or card beside the item with the picture I'm taking to prove this is real and owned by me.

I think seagulls will appreciate the discount. I just hope they don't share it out and keep it within the community.

>> No.7511710

>>7511701
Oh! I could buy a soap specifically for sample hand outs with purchase. Like, cut off a few pieces and bag it with the name/type of soap. So people can try it out and perhaps make a purchase of the item later on.

>> No.7511733

My dream is to have a shop to sell handmade and custom witchcraft items catered to mori girls.

Sup dawg, I put a niche in your niche so you can cry while your dreams die. I mean niche while your niche niches.

>> No.7511744
File: 215 KB, 498x372, pokmon-lol-im-rich.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7511733
I wish you luck

>> No.7511747

>>7511733
Serious though, that is a really cool concept. Go for it and I hope it does well.

>> No.7511756

>>7511701
Oh I see, so you're looking more at luxury skincare things?
Hm... If you're going to be specifically looking at that, then keep your focus on other things at a minimum.
(i.e. you can sell an oddment of things if you're going to resell cheap cute things, but it's better to put more of a focus on the skincare stuff since the more expensive items are for a niche market)

As for selling other things, make sure it's complementary to your store. (no contact cases unless you find really good ones, no desk organizers.) You seem really keen on Rila and HKitty though, so stick with what you like! Maybe HKitty shaped soap & liquid soap dispensers or something. I'm sure they exist.

For the cut outs, cut them out in cute shapes. I don't really know how easily it is to cut soap (probably pretty hard ugh), but I would imagine little flowery soap samples to be a lot more appealing than a cube. (use cookie cutters or something?)

Anyways, this is all my speculation. I think it's fun to think about things like this!
>majoring in business marketing

>>7511733
My dream is just to have an office job in the morning and be a taobao reseller in the evening huehuehue.
>tfw won't be able to wear kawaii clothes at an office job

>> No.7511798

>>7511756
Oh, no. I don't want to focus on skincare. Mostly high quality cute items, specifically some sort of respected brand, simply because the construction of the item will be much better than something grabbed from taobao. Also, hard to get items that can only really be purchased in Korea or Japan.

The soap comes from a boutique that specifically specializes in soap making. I should specify its skin care (facial) soap. They make tons of them for every skin type and skin issue. No harmful chemicals, completely organic. It is a luxury item, since they do use high end ingredients from the base to the treatments added. So the price range can vary. That is pretty much the ONLY skincare item I'm proud enough to sell in my shop that is unique and could really see a good market for it.

Other than that, I would like to make custom beanies and baseball caps (with a cat or bear ear option). Add lazer cut acrylic letters on it (baseball cap) and even swarovski crystals. I was even thinking of doing salior moon designs for the beanies and even the baseball caps or other animes that have catchy symbols.

I believe in you anon! go for your dreams!!

>> No.7511989

>>7511744
Laugh it up, I'm laughing that I posted it here too...

>>7511747
Ah it's not going anywhere. But if you ever want a custom rune embroidered herbal pouch...or a hand painted driftwood athame...or a crocheted collar with dangling charms and matching wristcuffs...who am I kidding there's no market for this and I know it.

>> No.7512012

>>7511989
Have you tried? My friend owns a small occult shop. My grandmother studied theology, then classical studies. Later she ventured into ancient lore and even spoke latin, aramic, yiddish, old english and owned various tomes. People use to come to her for various things, mostly when they had aliments and she would craft teas and ointments for them using recipes found in such books. You just need to find your market and right now, people seem to be really into the whole "occult" thing. I say give it a shot.

>> No.7512023

>>7512012
Alright back on track. Perhaps I can add in throws as well, they have some super cute soft ones here and equally cute pillows. I've even come across this bear pillow that you can carry to put your hands in to keep them warm if your outside and lay on it as well.

>> No.7512032

>>7512012
I don't want to reveal too much about myself, but I've been practicing witchcraft for over a year which is certainly not long enough to establish a shop with. Also, I have access to animal, teeth, bones, and talons but I'm not sure about the legality of selling these, even though I forage, not hunt. I also want to make mori style accessories, but I don't know where that would fit in with the rest.

It's just a dream...

>> No.7512084

>>7512023
>Alright back on track.
Jesus, share your thread. Its not like anyone is stealing your business here.

>> No.7512150

>>7512084
Huh? Did I miss something? I'm not worried about anyone trying to steal anything. I'm not sure what you're implying. The whole purpose of the thread to to fish out some ideas and see what seagulls might be interested in (with regards to my shop). Personally, I didn't want to get off track or rather off topic. If someone else wants to talk about randomness, have at it.

>> No.7512171

>>7512032
Not illegal at all. http://theboneslums.storenvy.com/ <<This person does it all the time, and constantly sells out.

>> No.7512181

>>7512171
>http://theboneslums.storenvy.com/
This is awesome!

>>7512032
See, there is a market for it as I mentioned before. Don't give up before you try, cause you never know.

>> No.7512198

I've been browsing Storenvy for a while, trying to scope out whats being provided. Trying to gauge and inspect the quality with the images provided and also the price point. Now, I understand the expensive comment. I definitely want to open shop there. I really want to thank the anons for pointing me in the right direction.

If anyone wants to post more stores or even popular ones, please link me. So I can take a look.

>> No.7512232

>>7512150
That anon was giving tips to the anon that wanted to sell occult stuff. Just because their not talking about your idea, it doesn't mean it's "randomness"... Let other people talk too without interrupting them just because it not for you.

>> No.7512236

>>7512150
That anon is saying that you shouldn't be greedy and share your thread, especially since your both talking about the same stuff. You have already gotten several good responses, let other people talk a little too.

>> No.7512242

I don't get it, OP do you live in Korea/Japan or are you importing stuff? Why would people want to buy from you rather than direct? Do you think there are enough non-savvy weebs who want to buy those korean/japanese things through you as the middle man? Do you know about import laws?
ps. I would so be into buying some kawaii crockery sets!

>> No.7512246

>>7512232
The anon came into the thread, I could have taken her comment as rude. But, I didn't. I played back and was trying to show I was being friendly. These posts are all me responding to her and I actually didn't see her last post response until I went to re-read the conversation to try and understand the whole fuss.
>>7511744
>>7511747
>>7512012
>>7512181

So, I've been the one engaging that anon in conversation mostly. But, my priority here is to gather information and feed back. I made a choice to get back on topic about what I was originally discussing, because I personally have a tendency to get side tracked into long enjoyable conversations and my time can be limited. I never once said that she or anyone else must stop talking about anything else. So, if someone else wants to talk about other random ideas, dreams or wish to share anything. Yes, please have at it and enjoy yourself. I'm not being sarcastic or throwing any form of shade.

>> No.7512263

>>7512236
I think there is some sort of misunderstanding. I've tried my best to clarify in this post here >>7512246 I wasn't trying to shut down anyone else wanting to discuss other things. But, after re-reading how the responses went - I can see how. I honestly didn't see her last post about the bones and realized the confusion.

I'm just choosing to kinda put MYSELF back on track. This thread is open to anyone wanting to discuss dream shops and gain feedback.

>>7512242
I live in Korea and some of the items I plan on designing, will be made in Korea and not in China. I will have one on one with the merchants and will be able to plan out my design and the quality of products I wish to use. So everything is very controlled.

The Jewelry, eat-ware and stationary stuff will be hand picked by me. I will visit little shops that do not have an online presence, but make great quality stuff. These are small places that sell great products. I'm basically looking around for unique items to put in my shop and make it available to other people.

Basically, in Korea most stores that sell accessories and goods buy wholesale from taobao and hike up the price. They use Korean models to advertise and that is how they get away with it. I'm not saying every store does this, but its pretty easy to spot.

>> No.7512266

>>7512263
*I will have one and one discussions with the merchants.

Basically everything is made in their small shops, usually teamed by 4-5 people. They make me samples of things I want and its a very hands on project.

>> No.7512324

how do i order all those taobao things every other storeenvy has in bulk ?

>> No.7512400

>>7512324
No clue to be honest. I suppose being able to speaking Mandarin/Cantonese would help with communication with whole sellers. That will also cut the foreigner prices & fees they might charge you. Try contacting a Taobao store and discuss whole sale options.

But, most of those storenvy stores that sell the taobao items are the actually taobao people putting up a front from what I've read. Sorry I cannot help you more anon.

>> No.7512401

>>7512400
*speak

Yeah, I'm gonna call it an early night and go to sleep.