[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 29 KB, 512x450, PfaffSewingMachine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7501475 No.7501475[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

sup guys

looking for a new sewing machine right now

tell me about your baby

> brand
> model
> functions
> how long you've had it

>> No.7501500
File: 40 KB, 300x235, CS6000T.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>brand and model
Brother CS6000i

>functions
Computerized 60 stitches for sewing and quilting, 7 buttonholes, LCD display, really beginner friendly

>how long you've had it
4-5 years. Broke only one sewing needle on it so far because I wasn't paying attention

>> No.7501562

>brand
Singer circa early 80s and a strange shade of faded peachy pink.
>functions
It comes with about thirty different circular washes that act like patterns. All of them are not stylish at all and I stick to straight and zigzag functions. It reverses but needs one serious tuning.

>how long have you had it
technically I took it from my mother because it wasn't in use. I've been using it for about 17 years... and feel extremely old now.

>> No.7504979
File: 49 KB, 650x650, L12357059.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> brand and model
Brother CS 770
> functions
50 Unique Built-in Sewing Stitches, 5 Styles of 1-stop Auto-size Buttonholes
> how long you've had it
Since november last year. I was using an older singer that needs to be cleaned/tune up and given back to my mother in law. She just has a very very basic machine and i was starting to need more.
The Brother machine runs fantastic and my only 'gripe' was the learning curve it took to get the stitches the right tension. When you feed the thread through the needle, you need to pull the thread and put the foot down to retain the tension. After that it's fine. Button holes are 10x easier now. Would recommend at least getting a machine with 1 step buttonholes.

>> No.7505013
File: 141 KB, 1500x1500, 2756112[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> brand and model
Brother Free Arm LS-590
> functions
drop-in bobbin, 25 built-in stitches, auto-size buttonholes. chose the inexpensive model.
> how long you've had it
about a year and a half. i really don't use it as much as i should, and i'm incredibly novice and still get nervous about thread tensions and snags and such. i love it, though.

>> No.7505051
File: 9 KB, 300x223, nx650q.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> brand
Brother Innov-is NX-650Q

>functions
850 stitches/minute. 110 functional stitches, 7 buttonholes, 67 decorative stitches. You can also program in your own stitches, but I've never done that.

>how long you've had it
I've had it for about 5 years. I love it. It runs very smoothly, tension is good, motor is powerful, and the speed is good for a home machine. I know it won't last 50+ years like my mom's 1970s Bernina tank because it's computerized and not solid metal, but the ease of use and features you can get with a computerized machine are worth the trade off for me.

>> No.7505415
File: 68 KB, 716x960, babby.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have...
>>7501500
which is really nice and I've had for about 3 years. I've broken a few needles because I'm a stupid sewer, but the auto stop thing is a life saver. the adjustable speed is good for when sewing things you don't want to fuck up with your lead foot.

and my serger

> brand and model
Brother 1034D
> functions
sergers things
> how long you've had it
since January, so I haven't really used it for anything other than neating/finishing seams

>> No.7505472

Can you recommend a machine for a beginner? And reasons NOT to use mom's 428402802 year old one? Thank you!

>> No.7505477

>>7505472
I got a Janome 2200XT in January this year. It's a basic machine with all the usual straight and stretch stitches, adjustable stitch width and length, 4 step button hole. No real speed adjustment or anything though.
I would recommend my machine since it's easy to use and you probably won't outgrow it too quickly, especially if you only plan to sew occasionally. I've been sewing for 5 years or so but don't make enough stuff to justify a fancier machine.

>> No.7505483

>>7505477
It looks nice! I want to work on cosplays you see, but I've never cosplayed before and haven't sown anything since 5 years ago.
Thank you, I'll keep my eye out for this one!

>> No.7505492
File: 34 KB, 500x500, how even sewing machine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't know the specs but basically I wanted to learn to sew without shelling out too much on a sewing machine I wouldn't know how to use so I went with this
fucking
Ikea
sewing machine.
...and I actually kind of think it does all I need so whatevs

>> No.7505496

>>7505492
Wow unexpected! Lucky

>> No.7505502

>>7505483
Reasons not to use the old one: it probably needs servicing and a full tune up to get going properly (i.e.so that you can just sew as opposed to fighting with it every step of the way), which will cost you as much as a new machine.

>> No.7505541

I'm kinda curious about new sewing machines. I learned to sew on 1950's tech and the newest machine I've used was a Bernina from the 80's.

What new features, etc do you need from a machine?

>> No.7505547

>>7505502
Thank you very much!

>> No.7505551

>>7505502
I'd argue that some of the old machines can run really well, but they have the drawback of being high maintenance. Unless a person learns how to do it themselves an old machine can cost much more than a new one.

>> No.7505557

I was going to get a Bernina 330 on Christmas last year but ended up not because I couldn't use their payment plan thing (no credit history). I have enough saved up for it now; it's around $900, though I'm waiting for a sale.

Does anyone have experience using this machine or similar modern Berninas? It does seem quite expensive for what you get but I really liked using it at the shop. It has a lot of good stitches and it's a reliable, quiet powerhouse.

>> No.7505559

>>7505551
>>7505502
hmmm actually, the older the machine, the more of a guarantee there are no plastic parts inside and that it's fully mechanical. The more electronic/digital components the less of a life of the sewing machine. Old sewing machine servicing will only run (if nothing is broken!) between 50-100 bucks depending on the place and what needs to be done. Older machines are still around for a reason, they live a long time because of better materials and manufacturing.

>> No.7505563

I used to have a Singer seamstress, but after an electrical and mechanical (simultaneous) malfunction, and little to no customer service from Singer, I switched to Brother- this model >>7501500

It's decent, it's a little too finicky with some fluffier fabrics, but it hasn't had the technical issues my Singer always had. I basically got it as a placeholder until I get a real nice one, since I'm moving soon.

My Singer only lasted 2 years, I've had this one a few months.

I used to use a Singer from the 1970s that was amazing but it's motor died. I would say avoid Singer if it's anything from the past 10-20 years haha.

>> No.7505565

>>7505559
Don't get me wrong I have several old machines around, and use them, I just find that modern attitudes of never care for it and buy a new one from Walmart if it doesn't work don't mesh well with machines that need a bit of oil (less than five minutes tops) and the kagillion stitches that new computerized ones have.

>> No.7505567

>>7505565
oh yeah, the way they make machines now they basically build them to die in a couple of years so you'll go out and buy a new one. It's sad.

>> No.7505573

>>7505565
>>7505567
And really, when I think about all those 'fancy stitches' you pay for. I mean seriously, strait stitch, zig-zag, a button-hole, maybe a blind hem and an overlock (if you don't have a serger)... seriously, who is going through all those flowers stitches and weird decorative ones more than once? I guess I just look at what I need at a fundamental level of garment construction, and don't see the point of the rest of it.

Oh, maybe if you're a quilter you go bat shit over all the ladder stitches or whatever.

>> No.7505585

>>7505567
It's economics. In their hayday Singer charged the equivalent of $2000 for a sewing machine. For that much money you'd get a quality machine that would last. Cheep asian imports gave most of the quality, for a fraction of the price, and Singer ended up cutting quality to compete. This all happened shortly after ww2. Singer 1960 or earlier is usually superb quality. After that it get's iffy.

>> No.7505590

>>7505585
Actually, adding on to your post, Singer, Viking and Pfaff all belong to one coporation now: SVP Worldwide. All of their machines are built in the same factory in China with a different cover over the top, so people who are dumb but brand loyal (and don't research) are still funneling money into sub par products and it's all going to the same corp.

Bernina and Brother are the last privately owned sewing machine companies left. Bernina you will still pay a pretty penny for even their intro models (stay away from the 'Bernette' series, this is a sister company, not actually Bernina branded). I used to work at a Bernina shop... man, I watched a lady drop 12grand on the newest model (one of the 8 series) just because she would 'have the best machine in my quilting group' was insane. I don't agree with having a machine that costs more than my car, but Bernina is still a hell of a lot better quality and technology than most anything else out there these days.

>> No.7505630
File: 73 KB, 720x960, 65562_466437636734652_1145916066_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7501562
Holy shit, are you me? I've got my mom's early 80's machine and it's also faded peach. Whatever they used for the bodies of the colorful machines back then does noooot hold up to time.

It's been on semi-permanent 'loan' to me for years because she also never uses it, lol. I use it for free arm sewing and things that need a lot of thread changes.

My other machine is a Singer 360M (1940's-50's ish? Pic related but old, it's in a proper table now! ) that I got for $125 from a local tailor. It was cheap, in great condition, sews wonderfully and is simple and reliable (and gorgeous to look at) Only things that bother me about it are the awkward vertical load bobbin that you have to lift the whole damn machine up to access, and no free arm ability. I use it for long projects, my mom's likes to overheat (lightbulb inside the machine body? fucking why? it's like an Easy Bake oven in there after 20 minutes) and is pretty loud.

>>7505502
>which will cost you as much as a new machine.

You've got a jerk of a serviceman (or have never dealt with one before?) The old guy I go to charges $30 for a tune up. Definitely worth it.

I lucked out and came across his little shop inside a giant antiques mall thing a few towns over. The best accessory for any machine is a reliable repairman!

>> No.7505652

>>7505502
Investing $50-$200 into cleaning and fixing a good old machine is a much better investment than buying a new machine under $200. All modern machines will breakdown and need servicing or replacing the inexpensive ones are especially disposable. You can usually get an old machine fixed up for about $80-$120 in a city, less in a rural area. That's as much as you'll pay the first time you take your cheap machine in because it's broken or jammed.

>> No.7505663

>>7505563
I've found using a walking foot with fluffy fabrics such as minky/velour/fleece really works well with the machine.

>> No.7505665

Man,I wish I lived wherever you guys do that can service a machine for so little. A full going over costs $150 just to look at the thing and then any fine tuning or other work that gets done seems to add another $100+ on.

>> No.7505681

>>7505630
My granddad has an old machine like this in his house, complete with the original table and a wooden case for the machine. It needs a service to get it working again but I can't wait to give it a go, I love old machines

>> No.7505688

>>7505472
Here

>>7505502
>>7505551
>>7505559
>>7505565
>>7505567
>>7505573
I don't know much about sewing machines, but I do know that it doesn't go any further back than '94 (My mom's an immigrant and she came here around there. My white aunt gifted her the sewing machine after she moved here)

After reading some posts this might not count as an "old" machine?

>> No.7505702

>>7505652
This!

I have been sewing for nearly 15 years. I have destroyed half a dozen cheap plastic new machines. Granted, I destroyed a few of them before I knew how to properly care for a machine, but I'm guessing most new cosplayers will make the same stupid mistakes with not oiling or cleaning the machine or changing needles. I would take them in to be serviced and most of the time I would be refused service because the repairman thought it was a waste of time.

Now I have a Singer 400 series, made in the late 50s. I sew constantly and I put that thing through lots of abuse. But after over 2 years of constant use, it only needed a small tuneup. It sews through nearly anything, although I do have a backup machine for when I need to sew confetti dot or spandex.

My advice? Perhaps start out small with a cheap thing between $100 and $200 since older machines can be a little harder to learn on...but if you stick with sewing, invest in an old metal workhorse. It will last until the end of time with proper care.

>> No.7505706
File: 53 KB, 271x271, 620_16765_P[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> brand
Kenmore
> model
Limited Edition 17 Stitch
> functions
17 built-in stitches and 64 stitch functions
One step buttonhole
Snap-on feet
> how long you've had it
4 years

>>7505541
One step buttonhole. Once I tried it, I was too spoiled to go back to anything else. Other than that, straight and zigzag (with adjustable stitch width) are all that I really need. Everything else is nice to have, but not required. Stitch settings are nice (so I don't need a serger) but you can improvise with adjustable zigzags if you don't have one.

Oh snap on feet are great, too. I used to sew on my grandmother's 15 year old Kenmore, and having screw the feet on and off was annoying.

>> No.7505717

>>7505665
Jesus! Where are you going for service? Though, if you're trying to get a new machine fixed, the folks who might be offering cheap tuneups in your area probably don't know how to deal with them.
Or can't. I was showing my friend how to sew on her recent model Singer and noticed none of the fucking face plates were removable.

Is that a thing now? The inability to access the inner workings to check for problems and the fact that they did away with oiling your machine don't sit right with me. Like they are flaunting how disposable they make their machines now, under the guise of convenience.

>>7505688
'94 is still a baby. And possibly an awful one at that-some companies were making cheap junk back then too, and with less technology to boot. At least the recently made stuff is ~new with 10 million stitches and threads it's own damn self~

On a side note, the Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Blog is a pretty interesting read. They have some basic repair/maintainance tutorials too.

>> No.7505756

>>7505681
Perchance it might be the same model as mine? (I derped up the number, it's 306 not 360)

It and a couple other Singer models use specialty bobbins and needles, so if you get it fixed up make sure to buy the right ones.

You order them online, Singer doesn't make them anymore but another company/companies do. They're pretty cheap thankfully.

>> No.7505798

>>7505630
A lot of the service people here are jerks. Most places I've been have a flat fee of close to $100 canadian just to look at a machine. I service my own machines. I've seen a lot of machines that have huge repair bills, then the owner decides to sell.

>> No.7505799

>>7505702
I'm actually the anon with the Brother NX-650, so contemporary machines have their value for me, but the inverse: buy a refurbed workhorse rather than a cheap new machine, but if you stick with sewing a more expensive new machine might be worth the money if you like the features of modern machines and know what you're getting. I learned on a vintage Bernina, then I got a 1950s Singer from a secondhand store for $30. It only runs a straight stitch, but it runs it like a champ. I didn't use a modern machine until I'd been sewing for 10 years. A workhorse is probably easier to learn on because it runs better than a cheap new machine, and it's a much better investment. Though I would recommend getting one with a few functional stitches.

>> No.7505860

>>7505756
I'm not sure what model it is but it's good to know that there are speciality supplies, thanks! I'm not sure when it'll actually get serviced, the whole thing weighs so much that I don't think it's moved in about 40 years.

>> No.7505906

>>7505717
Sadly it's that much for an older machine as well. I think it's just that there's less demand for it now so the two places that will do it in town charge a shitload, I legit took one of the black singers in there which just needed a general service, and was quoted $100. Replacing a screw on my other machine was $130.

>> No.7505909

>>7501475
I have a Singer Simple because babby but I'm looking at the Brother CS6000i for when I'm ready for it.

Heard outstanding things about it.

>> No.7505917
File: 119 KB, 482x368, Website-221-Photo03.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Singer Featherweight 221 <3 complete with case and table. Inherited it from my grandmother; it has the neatest stitch-work of all my machines and never jams despite being over 80 years old.

>> No.7505942

>>7505917
Singer featherweights (221 and 222) are worth a small fortune...

>> No.7505962

>>7505942
Yes, they are amazing. I have sewn on one and it's a damn dream... So smooth when it sews.

>> No.7505986

>>7505942
Yeah I know they are expensive,about $2000 depending on which year it was made and where. Mine was New Jersey 1934 and has been passed down to all the sewers in my family. But if you want a reliable machine that hardly ever breaks (may jam sometimes) and will last forever, I always tell people to get a featherweight.
>>7505962
They ARE smooth! I roll up to every convention I have with my little Singer because other people's machines get fussy after the drive. I'm always the emergency seamstress for my cosplay family.

>> No.7506005

>>7505986
Aren't most old gear-driven (or at least no belts) machines durable like that? My 301 and 15-91 are soooo smooth to use and the 15-91 can punch through two layers of 8oz leather like a hot knife through warm butter.

>> No.7506044

>>7506005
Most old machines are just durable. I haven't tried a featherweight, but I do like the stitch quality of my 301

>> No.7506053

There are a lot of vintage sewing machines in my area for sale, are certain brands/years better than others or are all vintage ones good?

>> No.7506069

>>7506053
Yes some are better than others, but it also depends on personal preference. What are you looking at?

>> No.7506088

>>7505917
My mom has one languishing in a closet somewhere. It's in serious need of a tune-up but I want to take it since she's not using it...

>> No.7506192

>>7505860
No prob, glad I can help.

I checked the needles for my 306, they're made by "Schmetz." The site I got a big order of bobbins from is SewClassic . They've got a lot of supplies for older machines, including motor parts/belts/replacement power cords and foot pedals.

>>7505906
Check other towns nearby if you haven't already. The problem with finding a good repairman is mainly that- finding them. Sewing machine repair has become kind of a lost art and a lot of the people working on them are probably like my guy- our grandparents' age and working out of their garage or hidden away in little local shops. Check with small upholstery businesses, tailors, old fashioned dry cleaners and antiques places. Maybe even quilt shops, though every quilter I've met is in love with modern machines since they have such fancy stitches. Ask around, especially the older folks.

>> No.7506209

>>7506192
I've tried, but they all charge that much or have no idea what they're doing and can barely follow a repair manual. No garage repairman, sadly, I'm pretty involved in the crafting/sewing "scene" here and the consensus is you fix it yourself or pay through the nose.

>> No.7506219

>>7506209
Try calling your local vacuum repair shop. No joke a lot of those places do great sewing machine work but just don't advertise it

>> No.7506220

>>7506192
That really is what it costs now a lot of places. There's only one non-dealer in my large US city that does repairs. I've taken a machine to him and another to a dealer and paid about the same amount. Sewing machine repair is a low-volume business and people that do it have to pay their shop rent and earn a living.

>> No.7506243

>>7506209
>>7506220
Fuck, that's lame. I'm sorry you guys have to deal with that.

I've never dealt with yahoo groups, but the Vintage Singer Blog and My Sewing Machine Obsession (also a blog) both recommend some groups for getting assistance with fixing your machines at home. Apparently there's a lot of good repair people on there.

>>7506219
Oh hey, you're right. My repair guy also fixes/sells vintage appliances like blenders and toasters and vacuums. They're so cool! Been thinking about getting a blender from him.

>> No.7506520
File: 84 KB, 500x362, 4030qdc_01__29341_zoom[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> brand
Janome
> model
4030QDC
> functions
30 stitches, computerized, automatic button hole maker, needle threader

I quite enjoy it. I bought it on a bit of a whim, just because I had a chance to buy it for pretty cheap. Before that I had a machine from the 80s (Omega Denim Machine something something) which was terrible, but I got that one free from my highschool teacher.

She also gave me a serger (no foot for it though, so I've no idea if it works at all) and another sewing machine. That machine didn't power on, and I never had a chance to get it checked, but it also turned out to be a Janome so I got a bunch of extra feet I could use in my new machine!

Unfortunately I forgot to pack them up when I moved out of my parents' house and I'm unable to retrieve them. Man, I really do want a serger.

>> No.7510988

Looking into getting some new feet for my machine and wanted to know which ones you guys can't live without.

I've already got a standard foot, zipper foot and for some reason a hopping foot.

Thinking of getting a roll hem foot, ruffler foot, and a walking foot. Any of those necessary or are there others I'm missing? Definitely looking for ruffling solution because I know how to sew a ruffle properly with double stitch row gathering or whatever but that can be horribly time consuming for ruffly costume bits.

>> No.7511170

>>7510988
My must-haves: standard foot (my machine's standard foot is actually much narrower than modern standard feet), ruffler, and adjustable zipper foot. I don't *need* anything else, but I like to also get a narrow hem foot and a shirring foot. And because my machine is a straight-stitch only machine, I also got buttonhole, decorative stitch, and zigzag attachments.

Note that rufflers actually make knife pleats, not ruffles like you get when you pull your bobbin thread.

>> No.7511232

>>7510988
Get a gathering foot, not to be confused with a ruffling foot. A ruffle foot is a big contraption that makes pleats. A gathering foot actually gathers and is easier to use. Definitely worth the $6 or whatever they cost. I never got the hang of rolled hem feet (invariably it wouldn't roll properly for more than few inches) but they're probably a real time saver if you do. Walking feet are good for certain fabrics but otherwise not necessary. Same with teflon feet. I do basically everything besides ruffling with a standard foot.

>> No.7511254

>>7511232
Teflon feet are a waste of money. Just put scotch tape on the bottom of your zig zag foot/whatever foot is most appropriate to use.

>> No.7511265

>>7511254
Depending on the material that doesn't always work as well.

>> No.7512733
File: 82 KB, 1024x768, 14[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry for bumping a dead thread but I need an opinion.
I've inherited a machine, a Janome 551, from my mum and it's about 30 years old give or take some years.
It started going crazy with the tension yesterday and just won't sew today, though the light works and comes on.
I'm not a sewing machine expert so mostly I'm asking:
Should I spend out for a repair or just buy a new machine?

Pic related.

>> No.7513221

>>7512733
When I was buying my new Janome, the salewoman was just gushing about how it's still made with metal parts. She said she used to love Singer until they started doing everything with plastic, blah blah blah.

Janome is a good brand. IMHO, for the price of getting it fixed, you probably won't find a machine that's better. Unless you were planning to upgrade to an embroidery machine or something, I'd say you should fix this one.

>> No.7513815

What are your sources for vintage machines?

My friend is hoping to surprise his fiancee with a new machine and after reading this thread and recalling my own experiences with new vs old machines, I recommended that he get a vintage Singer or Kenmore and get it fixed up. Should I tell him to hit Craigslist, or are there better sources out there?

>> No.7516569
File: 21 KB, 403x302, 2934224135.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7513815
in my country (brazil) vintage machines are very commun, they are sold for about $50. however,you gotta gamble because you dont always know if its working. most of the people i know use a vintage machine, my boss (a tailor) has 2 of those, one being a Featherweight. that machine sews beautifully.

But in my case:

> brand
Singer

> model
Bella ( i think its from 2008 or 2007)

> functions
Some few decorative stitches, many sizes of zigzag. its domestic so its not so great. Never really broke tho.

> how long you've had it
5 years