[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 34 KB, 290x300, Takasugi.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7423195 No.7423195[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm looking to step up my cosplay game and start using makeup, but I have no idea where to start since I've never worn makeup in my life before.

Does /cgl/ have any tips, guides, or recommendations in terms of brands? Thanks in advance. Pic related, my second costume for this year's AX.

>> No.7423208

If you're only going to use makeup for cosplay, you should probably stick to drugstore brands.
Spending $50 on sephora foundation probably isn't worth it.

>> No.7423213

>>7423195

are you male or female?

>assuming you're male, try to get mattifying powder
>it does wonders for greasy skin

>> No.7423216

>>7423208
Yeah, I won't be using it that much throughout the year. I'll pickup some drugstore brands then. But what are some of the things I'd need?

-concealer for minor eye bags
-mascara
-foundation

Anything else? Sorry if I come off as clueless.

>>7423213
I'm a male. My skin doesn't end up that greasy, but this will probably help since the weather is really hot in July. I'm probably going to end up standing in the sun for 2-3 hours again waiting to pickup my badge, will I run into problems with my makeup?

>> No.7423237

Ah, a thread for me.
A lady friend helped me buy foundation and powder but once I get it on my skin looks flakey in places. I never thought of myself as having dry skin. Is there a way to avoid this?

>> No.7423240

>>7423216
Get some primer, it helps your makeup stay on during the day and prevent your sweat from making your face shiny. I like Rimmel's Stay Matte primer, not sure what other anons use.

Some blush would also be good, even though you're a guy. While foundation makes your skin a nice even tone, I find that no blush makes you look too pale and colourless. Blush puts some blood in your cheeks. Get a light pink, not too dark.

Eyeliner will help shape your eyes.
From your reference pic, I'm guessing you'll probably have to apply a thin line on your waterline.
Easy to screw up with though, so make sure you look up tutorials.

I think that's the basics. Look into contouring if you want, but I find that contouring is hard to get the hang of. Start off with the basics.
Also you probably don't need mascara. Long luscious eyelashes isn't really manly lol

>> No.7423293
File: 376 KB, 955x1580, Lucius.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Male here, I'm thinking of cosplaying Lucius (pic related). My skin is somewhat fair, but I want to make it smooth and feminine like Lucius'. The only issue is my skin is pale and somewhat blotchy with redness, so I need the smoothness and a fair color

I've tried researching a bit and it seems like foundation and a brush for that. What else might I need, both make-up wise and application-wise?

>> No.7423317

>>7423237
I put on moisturizer or makeup primer before everything else. It helps with the flakiness, and will make your makeup look better.

>> No.7423345
File: 20 KB, 300x300, 300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7423240
>>7423216

Good luck man, gotta say I went down the drug store route when I first used makeup and I've been pleased with the results.

With your makeup needs first off I agree with >>7423240 and get either a primer or something to act as a primer. Many people use a moisturizing lotion and others use dedicated primers, it's all based on budget and what you want to do. I personally use anti chafing gel powder as its very similar to Smashbox primer except its way cheaper and comes in a larger tube.

Getting brushes is going to be helpful, even if you're planning on using a powder foundation, you'll have an easier time applying it when using an actual brush than just the pad that comes with the kit. Finally get makeup removal wipes, really handy for cleaning yourself up when you want to change. Also take some time before con to try this stuff out, you're makeup is affordable so so can spare a bit to practice.

>I'm probably going to end up standing in the sun for 2-3 hours again waiting to pickup my badge, will I run into problems with my makeup?

The heat and prolong use is going to make your makup run and in some cases it can drip down into your eyes causing you to tear up and other not fun things. Getting a setting powder is mandatory for cosplaying as you tend to work up a sweat just being in the con. That stuff allows your makeup to stay on your face and more resistance to sweat and just general touching.

Good luck in your future efforts man.

>> No.7423362

>>7423345
>>7423240
Saved it for later reference, thanks guys

>> No.7423689

>>7423293
I find that liquid foundations prove to be the most potent in changing your skin color. Get something one skin tone lighter at most if you want to achieve that pale look.

As for what you need

>Makeup
1. Primer or a Primer Agent to bind the makeup to your face.
2. Foundation to even out your skin tone
3. Concealer to hide blemishes and splotchy areas. Be sure to get it in a color that matches your foundation. An easy way to achieve this is to buy your foundation and concealer from the same brand.
4. Bronzer/Darker Foundation (Optional) these are used to create shadows and depth in your face that can make your nose, cheeks and chin appear smaller. A great thing for bishonen type characters but not needed.
5. Eyeliner (Optional) If you want your eyes to stand out a bit more
6. Finishing Powder: Keeps your makeup in place and prevents it from running and getting all over your clothes

>Application Items
1. Foundation brush
2. (If you got a bronzer) Bronzer brush
3. (If you got a darker foundation) Blending brush
4. Kabuki brush for finishing powder

>Misc Items
Makeup removal wipes
Brush cleaning solution
Makeup Bag for easy storage